1.18/5
Based on 61 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 18, 2018

67 Blue Cross of New Jersey Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2018

Absolutely horrible. It takes an hour on the phone to get ANYTHING done. They randomly added two of my adult kids to my policy, then cancelled me when I "didn't pay" (since I didn't realize my premium changed due to the addition of my kids - who have their own insurance and haven't been on my policy for several years!!!) They had my wife's birthday wrong, when she called to fix it, then changed my birthday to match hers - which screwed up my prescription coverage and eliminated my online access. Then they told me it would take 30 days to put my birthday back to the correct date. Many other issues and problems, every one takes hours of precious time. Their overseas based call center is useless - don't waste your time, demand that your concern be "escalated" so they bring the call back to U.S.

Original review: April 5, 2018

My daughters have had halter monitors for years and they have always been covered until last fall when my youngest daughter had her halter monitor done. Horizon denied the claim because they said it was experimental. I have filed an appeal and now they are saying it was an implanted monitor which it wasn't at all. It was a portable monitor. They had some internal/Anesthesiologist review her records and he stated an implanted monitor was not medically necessary and that there are multiple types of portable cardiac monitors available and that is what she had. They will not let me to talk to John ** MD who has made this decision.

Nowhere in the notes from her cardiologist was there anything about an implanted monitor. They won't let me talk to him nor explain to me where he got such incorrect information. They are denying claims fraudulently. I spoke to you Esa a customer service supervisor and she told me it is a covered benefit so why are they denying my daughter's claim. I am so tired of them not knowing what is going on and always getting different answers when I call. The insurance sucks.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2018

From 7/1/2011 to 8/31/2017 Horizon has processed my claims with my PCP and Virtua incorrectly. Over the course of this time I have called both Virtua's billing office and Horizon to tell them that I should not be billed out of network or as having a deductible as that is my PCP to no avail and have been sent to Apex collections where me and my husband's credit has been ruined over Horizon and Virtua not handling their claims processing correctly. I finally took this matter to the BBB in 2/2018 and have not heard anything back yet but did receive another bill for an incorrect co-pay because that is what Horizon told Virtua to bill us retro to 8/2017.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Paid for the medical insurance online every month in 2017 till November. By November, received the letter from Blue Cross of NJ stated we do not have insurance started Oct 2017. We told them we paid online with proof. They said they will check and at the meantime they sent us refund check for the two months we paid (Oct. and Nov.). We call them all the time in November and December try to resolve this issue. When we called again in December they told us just deposit the refund check and made it as we do not have insurance started in Oct. 2017.

We agree with it and went ahead deposit the refund check and paid for the medical bill occurred during these three months. However as of now - March, 2018, they still said we owed them three months Oct, Nov, Dec in 2017. We call every few days trying to resolve this issue but no one care... The billing system is horrible and customer services even worse... Don't know what to do yet. Very sick and tired dealing with the company like this.

Original review: March 8, 2018

This insurance company should be shut down for fraud. My father was enrolled in November 2017. I have paid his premium every month since November 2017. I get a bill every week stating his premiums are overdue for 5 months and that they will cancel his insurance. I have sent them proof of payment, that has not worked. I think they are stealing my father's money. The Horizon portal has my dad paid up to date but they are not linked to Horizon BC/BS. Can anyone explain that because they can't.

I call every week and every week they tell me they have not received any payment on my Dad, meanwhile they keep asking for more and more money. At this point not only have I paid my dad's premiums to date I have overpaid so that they won't cancel my father's insurance. My dad is 93 years old and he is not rich. When you ask for a supervisor they say there is no supervisor. How can that be. Poorly run company. Horrendous customer service and fraudulent company. Please run run run from this horrible insurance company or they will steal your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of New Jersey?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I am happy to have this insurance but everything is pay more get less... It's getting harder and harder to pay bills and live in New Jersey. The increased cost of emergency care is ridiculous. I was afraid to take my daughter to the E.R. when she was in a car accident due to the increase. It's all too much.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Live people, telephone line closes at 5:00 pm and most people are at work. Should customer service have shifts to handle late calls.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

This is not about the actual services rendered (only used it a few times in the year) but about trying to get out of the plan after I enrolled. I called to cancel my health insurance the first time in early December 2017, and they told me it was canceled. Then I got a charge on my account for January 2018 and I had to call them again to cancel. Same process. Now it's 1/2/2018 and they've charged my account for the full premium despite calling to cancel 2x already. It's just a mess and is completely unprofessional. It's no small sum of money so each time I get a charge I have to scramble to make sure my account isn't overdrafted. I'd highly recommend looking elsewhere if you have the option. I personally chose Oscar, which I'm very happy with.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

They failed to pay a claim because they had the wrong termination date of my plan and they cannot fix it or will not fix it and have nobody to talk to fix it - I kid you not that you go from person to person for HOURS and nobody can fix it and nobody knows what's going on. CEO should be fired, jailed or both for fraud and ineptitude.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Our oldest son has had ear "issues" since he was 5.5 years old. He has been in the care of an ENT in all 3 states he has lived in, had multiple tube surgeries w/ adenoids initially removed, and was fitted multiple times for specialized ear plugs when he was younger (b/c he can't even get water from a shower in his ear w/o risking an infection). We have never had any issues with insurance approval and payment until now...with Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey. Our son is now 20 years old and because the fluid in his ears does not properly clear and builds up excessive wax (affecting his hearing), we continue to visit the ENT as infections occur or every 6 months for wax removal, along with hearing tests as dictated by necessity. The most recent visit in October showed a declining hearing level that was due to his Eustachian tube collapsing.

Our newest ENT (who for 3 years has supported our "don't fix it unless it is broken" stance...ie. not an insurance money grabber) requested Horizon BC/BS approve: a new tube to replace the tube that was pulled out with wax build up, a procedure to re-"inflate" the Eustachian tube along with a fixing a deviated septum (b/c the Eustachian tube cannot be reached without this step). Horizon BC/BS denied it. I was told it is because they see no history of breathing difficulty.?! The ENT's office was given other non-sensical excuses. Our ENT requested a peer review and when he called in for it, the reviewer said there would be no discussion or review...it's still denied. This has never happened to him in all his years of service.

We must now cancel the surgery we had planned to have for our son over his Winter break from college (so he wouldn't miss 2 weeks of class time during the required recovery and have to sit out a semester), and his hearing continues to be "fuzzy" and ears are constantly popping (and breathing through the one side of his nose is diminished). Our ENT is filing an appeal, as will we. We are both filing complaints with the Governor's Insurance Commission, and my husband's employer (a very large, well known appliance manufacturer) will be made aware of this situation as well...in hopes that perhaps the HR/insurance rep can rock the boat a bit. A health necessity in life has arisen, and Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield is not in the business of providing for this necessity. Shame on them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield Silver Plan. Been using it since May 2017, had three doctor's visits, one blood test, and 4 prescriptions (one pending), they overcharged me for both doctor's visits and all 4 prescriptions - by roughly 50% on average (over the co-pay and last one was 92%). What's the point of a co-pay?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Took my daughter to a dr and called Blue Cross to make sure the dr was ok to use, they said yes. The dr office said yes and they called Blue Cross. Dr said my daughter needed a surgery and she could do it next week. The dr assistant called Blue Cross and got a verification for the surgery, They have the name of who they spoke to and they have a confirmation number. One week after the surgery Blue Cross calls me and says they refuse to pay since the dr is out of network. Dr assistant calls them and Blue Cross says that number means nothing. WOW.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I wish I could rate them zero stars. I've never had a worse experience with an insurance company. They make excuse after excuse not to reimburse for psychotherapy sessions that they previously reimbursed without a problem. Every month it's a new and more absurd excuse. First they said my provider information was not on the form (um, it was on the provider's letterhead and on the paperwork), then they said it was the wrong state (I have NJ insurance although I live in CA, because my husband's corporation is based in NJ), then they said they were confused by the provider's paperwork and needed her to redo everything (before it was never a problem). It is now September and I have eight months of unreimbursed claims.

Not only that, when I had cancer two years ago they contacted me to see if I needed assistance with making treatment decisions AFTER my cancer treatment was over. I'm absolutely disgusted by them. And, they doubled our rates last year - my husband gets insurance through the company where he is employed. THE WORST!!!

Original review: July 26, 2017

Every time you call, you have to give your life information over and over and over. If you call 3 times in the same day, you have to give the information again, THEY claim it's to verify who you are. NO OTHER co. does that. Other companies ask for name and ID or phone number and your info jumps up. When you're not feeling well to begin with, then you know you have to call and get trained like a dog to give the info. How redundant! With all the money Horizon makes, come up with an easier way to identify us. OR just say "Has anything changed in the last hour when you called before?" It's so annoying. Then they get annoyed if you mention it or if you talk too fast because YOU'RE in a hurry too. Use the internet? Not working either, then you also have to call to verify because perhaps that Dr. or place canceled and Horizon forgot to remove or add their name!!! Really? What a waste of Customer time.

Original review: July 7, 2017

As a provider of services for Horizon BC/BS of NJ, if I could have given them a rating of less than zero, I would have. Since becoming a provider, I have experienced non payment of claims, getting multiple excuses for why, and then finding a more reasonable Provider Services person who agreed that they claim form was "clean" and "accurately filled out" who said that she would forward it to a supervisor so that the problem could be address and corrected. I actually felt hope for the first time as this was a rare, helpful and human response from the insurance co., only to be denied again later. This happened to the point where I had to hire a professional biller because I was going broke from non payment and needed to focus on my work, not the constant frustration of not being reimbursed for months of services.

A few months later, my payments were cut by 50%, with no warning, no explanation and no change in my clients' insurance plans nor in my credentialing. I spent 5 months trying to find out why, to no avail. I was given multiple numbers to call, hung up on, and made to feel confused... Spending tens of hours calling, trying to speak with someone who could explain what was happening and why. To no avail. I agree with those who wrote previous reviews who suggested that the insurance co. did this on purpose with the hope that members and providers would finally "give up". Well that is not going to happen with this provider and I can see that I am in good company.

Though I have worked with insurance companies for 30 years, I have never been treated more poorly or dismissively than I have with Horizon BC/BS of NJ. While they pay their CEO's millions of dollars, they nickel and dime and mistreat their members as well as their providers. I've seen a number of people who've previously posted suggest joining together to see this resolved legally. I would be happy to join.

Original review: May 28, 2017

BC/BS has been billing me for several years for "late enrollment". In fact I enrolled 80+ days before 65th BD as allowed. Several CS Reps confirmed I was NOT late, BUT said this is a lifetime penalty. Have tried to email but their NJ site is impossible to log in. I estimate if all billing is paid, which I refuse to do, $40 million a month (minimum) is being stolen from US Public. Given some phony 3rd party to appeal. Government appeal non-existent. This is message I'm trying to get to NJ BC/BS.

"I am going to try to be as gentlemanly as humanly possible. I demand you stop the Medicare Fraud you are harassing me with each month. Your own CS confirms I had NO late enrollment. In actuality I took advantage of the early period and enrolled nearly 90 days before age 65. If you or a supervisor cannot or will not rectify this farce, the airline's recent bad publicity will pale in comparison to the bad PR. I know you are on par with cable because you are a virtual monopoly and don’t care. One of your Reps told me this harassment is a life sentence. Ergo I will make it my life’s work to fight this injustice.

If you do not cease and desist this scam/theft billing and maintain the false claim of late enrollment, consider this demand for refund of misapplied premium. I PAID BC/BS $5657.28 between age 64 & 65. You can issue a check for the entire amount or I will accept 12 monthly payment of $471.28. I will waive the prior $30,000 with no claims paid to BC/BS since age 60. If you do not wish to reimburse me or cease this fraudulent billing, consider this a legal demand for the pertinent information (name, address & particularly State) where the initial authorization for above referenced illegal billing originated, so I can file criminal charges."

Original review: March 17, 2017

I have the Omnia plan, went to a Tier-1 hospital in an emergency, right? The hospital ordered a test that required anesthesia and guess what? GOT-YA. The people that the HOSPITAL hired to administer anesthesia ARE NOT part of my plan, so I pay $1,776.00 for anesthesia, are you kidding me? What choice did I have? Do I lay on the gurney and research anesthesia providers to see if the one the hospital selected is on my plan?

Original review: March 8, 2017

NJ Direct approved my surgery (skin removal from weight loss) the first time. But I couldn't do it at that moment. I had a low blood count. Had to see an oncologist to get it fixed. I informed nj direct and they said I be fine to still get my surgery. I came back and was denied. I want my health care to explain to me why would they denied me from a surgery that was already approved! Regardless I'm going to keep fighting... meanwhile find me a new health care provider since they rather see you die than to get your health back on track.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I called three times for getting registered online and none of those representatives were able to help me. I had to make a payment and they were saying that they don't know if I have an account or not even though I paid first two installments before. Very unprofessional and unorganized.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I filed a complaint with BCBSNJ due to my podiatrist charging me $460 for a pneumatic boot anyone can purchase for only $40 on Amazon. I called twice, sent evidence etc. They responded by telling me that $460 is a fair price to pay. Ridiculous! Clowns like this are why part of the problem! It's not Obamacare it's doctors being allowed to overcharge for items, big insurance paying only what they want to and passing the rest via write-off (increasing our premiums) or payment due by us the already overpaying consumer! Totally disgusting! There's a special place for these kind of criminals that allow this to go on!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I have been a member since 09/16. Since that time I have made my payments FAITHFULLY every month and ahead of time but I keep getting notices that my payment has not been received. Today I received a ridiculous letter telling me that my payment for 03/31/17 is past due and I am facing termination. I called customer service WHICH IS OUTSIDE OF THE U.S. and was told to ignore the letter. I have gotten two e-mails and now this letter saying that I'm past due. When I call, they tell me that I'm up-to-date. This is RIDICULOUS! Every month I go through this. I wish they would get it together and fix the problem!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

I've been with HBCBS for 20+yrs. I am the only person on the policy, and I am paying $1000.00 per month for insurance with a $3000.00 deductible. I see a doctor once a year for a physical, which I did about 6 months ago and had to pay for the blood test ordered by the doctor. I am a pretty healthy person, don't smoke, drink 2 beers a week, good weight, sleep great... Soon I will go onto Medicare, and it can't be a day too soon. This company is draining the blood out of me, financially speaking.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Sadly I have had this insurance since January 2016 through my employer. It is the only option provided to me. This is by far the worst insurance ever. It covers nothing. Blue Cross does not have a fee schedule for any of the services they cover. They refer you to Castlight which is a Third Party company who is supposed to have these fees however when you call them they have no knowledge of any medical procedures even when you give them the CPT and diagnosis codes. They use Google to look up the definition of the codes given he is based off the definition it falls into a category in which it could possibly be a covered benefit and there is still no amount of what your cost would be. Their estimate range is very wide and does not provide any specific fee.

This is what the representative told me they were doing. I was told by a representative that in order for me to obtain the fees it would be once the claim is submitted to the insurance company. They then speak to the provider and come to an agreement as to what the fee should be. At that point the service has already been rendered and it could be anything amount they desire since it has already been performed which is unfair to the patient / customer.

I asked if there is any other way that we can obtain this information prior to having the procedure done even though it is stressed by the provider and Blue Cross that no pre authorization or predetermination is needed for the procedure and I was told that I would need to contact the grievance department by mail since there is no direct phone number for me the customer to reach out to them to obtain any sort of fee prior to since they do not speak to customers they only speak to the providers. But yet the provider also does not know what the contracted rate is between Blue Cross Blue Shield after contacting them. I am always told by all three parties provider Blue Cross and Castlight that once the claim is submitted I will find out what my fees are.

The reason I don't want to wait until I have the service done is because I want to make sure that I am financially prepared to pay before having the procedure done instead of being stuck to pay it after the procedures already performed. Another reason I asked is because I know I have a high deductible that needs to be satisfied before they cover anything. So therefore everything would be for me out of pocket based on their contracted rate which no one can figure out. until my deductible is met and never will because I barely go to the doctors the only fortunate part of this all. If it wasn't for the tax penalty I would rather be uninsured and pay out of pocket.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

My son received a radiology test with dye on his elbow. My insurance policy has no co-pay for radiology tests in office or out-patient services. Horizon claims that because the dye was injected to perform the test that is outpatient surgery with a $300 deductible. Since when is an injection considered surgery. The insurance companies are a disgrace, trying to frustrate you until you give up. I have spent countless hours dealing with a call center in the Philippines. Horizon Blue Cross is a disgrace, we need competition across state lines. Worst customer service of any company that I have ever had to deal with. Call center personnel pretend they are a supervisor with a different name, same person though. What a disgusting situation.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

My daughter is a ** addict and wanted treatment. After 10 days of inpatient rehab Horizon would not approve any more treatment. So my daughter asked me if she could arrange for the rehab to bill her and set up a payment plan. But they said she could not because Horizon will not allow this because she is a subscriber. I don't understand how this could be. The rehab said their legal team is working on this matter but it could take months of litigation. This is my daughter's, and Horizon will not allow me to pay. How can this be? Next I am writing to my Congressman. Hope someone can help us before it is too late.

Original review: June 17, 2016

I have been juggling between Horizon and ADB-COBRA service centers for the past 1 month plus, just to ensure that my newborn daughter is enrolled in my health benefits. All payments have been made to ADP starting the date she was born in April, but she is still not listed in my coverage. The Service centers always point finger as the other company and for every call, they initiate new ticket closing out the prior ticket incident without informing/updating. Both ADP and Horizon - reputed business missed to do their due diligence while proving these service centers they customer/client services. Audit them!! Make sure your clients are treated right. This is a total Customer ripoff where the business shows one thing, obtain price from client for it, and then give nothing. I have even started to think of suing these companies!

Original review: June 9, 2016

My son reached out to get help for his drug addiction. He went into rehab only to find out that the insurance denied coverage. His coverage was denied because they stated he had a loving and supportive family environment and his blood pressure was not elevated and no signs of withdrawals. My son is addicted to heroine. Insurance would not speak to me because he was over 18 and they explained they would email his counselor the release form. They never did after countless attempts to get them to send it. He was released and did an appeal and they denied his appeal. He relapsed once again and has gotten himself in trouble with the law also.

I would really like to know how a doctor or whomever sits behind a desk and has never meet my son or has no idea what my son's family has been thru with his addiction, make the decision that he does not need inpatient therapy and is capable of living at home doing meetings only. Do they not understand this addiction? I don't understand why I need insurance if nothing is going to be covered to protect and help my family. What a waste of my money.

Original review: May 5, 2016

When you call Horizon now for anything, you get a call center somewhere out of the US! When asked, I was told, '"we are in the Philippines"!! WHAT?? Some third world country has ALL of my information at their fingertips!! And can sell it, or do whatever they want anywhere in the world and Horizon BC/BS has no real control over what is going on. Foreign access to our personal private information in an instant should be stopped immediately and returned to US.

Original review: April 7, 2016

Have had continual problems thought resolved but not. Have outstanding bill for payment from last year as Home marketplace said not eligible for rebate - thought cleared up in May via conference call was cleared up for 2 months. BC/BS continue to charge full amount again, refuse to cover any bills for 2016 due to outstanding balance of $3,900. Recent conference call about 1 week ago with supervisor and insurance marketplace shows letter sent to BC/BS letter sent on 8/2015 was eligible for rebate! I should not owe extra as had been paying quoted rate. Insurance had been cancelled in October due to non-payment. Amazingly enough no one knows who cancelled. Received no letter. Now nothing in 2016 is being paid for.

Also note if have OMNIA ask if institution accepts Tier I. As found out hospital only accepted Tier2. Was told by BCBS considered out of network would be respond for full bill. Running a scam here BCBS pays nothing, hospital gets money. At no time was told by hospital only accepted Tier2. BEWARE. Will NEVER use BSBC again.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2016

While my problem is not as bad as other folks it just proves that Blue Cross of New Jersey is very careless. It all started for me back in 2013 Blue Cross claims that I signed up for Obama care. While I did look at it I had opted to change my mind. According to the morons at Blue Cross that the bills should have been stopped in September of 2015. And now we are going into march still getting them. Lucky for me once I get my home sold having my mail stopped.

Blue Cross of New Jersey Company Information