Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Blue Cross of New Jersey Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of New Jersey?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of New Jersey?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

A retiree in NJ and was forced to switch over to BCBS of NJ from Aetna. Need to get to doctor in second week of January. Informed several months ago of switch to comparable plan I had with Aenta. Never received a new card or patient ID card/number. So I try to get on portal and it's telling me I have to register as a new subscriber which I understand. However the link to it WILL NOT LOAD after hours of waiting. Called number given and of course "Call volume higher than expected". Here we go. What a joke.

Our NJ politicians and this company are in bed together. They had MONTHS to figure this out. If I can't even get a card or member number, how the hell are they gonna take care of me and my health? There is no email to make a complaint UNLESS you are a REGISTERED MEMBER. HHAHAHA...no registered members-no complaints I guess. Can't even message them on Facebook. What a joke of a company. I never liked them before and when I HAD A CHOICE of insurance I stayed away. I see they they haven't improved customer service, only their bottom line.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

Blue Cross and "Bait and Switch" Health Insurance. I purchased the silver with a 50% out-of-Network only to find out months later there was no out of Network covered. I spent way over my deductible without any medical bills being paid by BCBS. When I called, I was told, "We don't guarantee we cover any of your medical. Paying your bill every month only guarantees we'll keep your account open." I could not believe what I was told while every out over $4,000 of paid insurance and out of pocket over $10,000. What a racket! I spoke to other people who had BCBS and they had similar stories. Blue Cross Blue Shield needs to be shut down and investigated and there should be refunds.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I am so mad that every time I call on my own claims they tell me I cannot because the insurance in my wife’s name even though she has given the insurance the authorization to do so. Their member services are by far the worst I have ever dealt with. Zero stars????

Original review: April 16, 2019

I am a state worker and even though everyone thinks we have the best plans with the best coverage, I beg to differ. We were recently forced into Horizon. I use to have Aetna which I’ve now learned was so much easier to deal with. I receive one round of Orthovisc knee injections per year. When I had Aetna the process was seamless. My doctor's office would request the medication, Aetna would deliver it, and the doctor’s office would call me when it arrives in to schedule my appointments. My doctor requested this medication in February and it is now April and still no medication.

Blue Cross uses a slew of different pharmacies for different meds to make things cheaper. It took two months for me and my doctor's office to figure out which pharmacy is filling this prescription. I’ve probably called the insurance company 5xs in the past two months and been on the phone at least a half hour to forty minutes each call. This is unacceptable when you are paying top dollar for an insurance plan. I’d take my Aetna plan back in a heartbeat. Blue Cross needs to get better management/training in their various offices and stop trying to cut corners.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Any plan can be improved. I have a federal government plan, which is different from the regular Blue Cross Blue Shield plan. I’ve been told the federal plan is the best plan out there by other companies where I have inquired.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Signing up with Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey will cost you big in the years to come. They offer competitive rates when you are initially signing up, everyone is familiar with them and they seem like a good choice... Don't be fooled. When you turn 70 your premium will take a huge jump, beyond normal yearly increases. This is because their premiums are Age Rated. Most Medigap plans are Community Rated. What this means in plain English is that every 5 years from age 65 your premium will increase dramatically... 1st increase at age 70 was $75.00 per month for my husband, plus yearly increase. Be careful how long you live.

If that's not bad enough, new this year, 2019, the age increase is automatically given a nonpreferred rate. In order to get the preferred rate you must pass underwriting questions, which many are not able to pass. Perhaps the worst is that they lie by omission. You are not told about their outrageous increases when you sign up. They also will tell you that all the Medigap Plans are age rated. This is false, they may be the only one to do this. They found a loophole. They also lie and say that their new Preferred/non Preferred rates are the same as other insurers. Again, this is not true. Choose wisely. I switched my policy to AARP/Universal because they are honest, forthright and were shocked when I told them what Horizon is doing.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

If I could give negative stars I would. This could be a total fraud company, nothing is OK and I know the plans are not inexpensive. I am begging our HR to change providers. Horizon has been the worst insurance experience ever and I've had to go through NY State plans which are not the best to deal with. 2 doctors prescribing the same medication I've been taking for YEARS and never had an issue with submitted prior authorizations MANY times. When pharmacy tries to fill, they are told Dr needs to submit PA which they have over and over again. They try to call but cannot get anyone on the phone for hours - both doctors think it is a rouse to make a person give up so this company does not need to cover anything. I agree. This company is completely horrible.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I was a member of a group insured by Horizon. They said the group did not qualify for coverage any longer and canceled the group. I was told that if I enrolled in an individual plan with them, that the out of pocket expenses, that I incurred would transfer over to my new coverage. After a bout with pneumonia in the emergency room, they informed me that I had to transfer those expenses, only from one group to another group. And that I would have to start a new deductible, all over again. Nowhere in the handbook, is this spoken about. I was taken advantage of by a big company, with no chance of fighting this.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Absolutely horrible. It takes an hour on the phone to get ANYTHING done. They randomly added two of my adult kids to my policy, then cancelled me when I "didn't pay" (since I didn't realize my premium changed due to the addition of my kids - who have their own insurance and haven't been on my policy for several years!!!) They had my wife's birthday wrong, when she called to fix it, then changed my birthday to match hers - which screwed up my prescription coverage and eliminated my online access. Then they told me it would take 30 days to put my birthday back to the correct date. Many other issues and problems, every one takes hours of precious time. Their overseas based call center is useless - don't waste your time, demand that your concern be "escalated" so they bring the call back to U.S.

Original review: April 5, 2018

My daughters have had halter monitors for years and they have always been covered until last fall when my youngest daughter had her halter monitor done. Horizon denied the claim because they said it was experimental. I have filed an appeal and now they are saying it was an implanted monitor which it wasn't at all. It was a portable monitor. They had some internal/Anesthesiologist review her records and he stated an implanted monitor was not medically necessary and that there are multiple types of portable cardiac monitors available and that is what she had. They will not let me to talk to John ** MD who has made this decision.

Nowhere in the notes from her cardiologist was there anything about an implanted monitor. They won't let me talk to him nor explain to me where he got such incorrect information. They are denying claims fraudulently. I spoke to you Esa a customer service supervisor and she told me it is a covered benefit so why are they denying my daughter's claim. I am so tired of them not knowing what is going on and always getting different answers when I call. The insurance sucks.

Blue Cross of New Jersey Company Information