Find a Health Insurance partner

Help me decide

1.3/5 (72 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Since I started working in 2005 I have used this insurance company. They provide me with all the information and care that I need to ensure my health is on point. They have a great network of doctors and specialists. This company is always ranked number one for me.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

They were really slow initially in sending us our insurance cards. They did however mail us our cards after constant pestering. They are also slow in processing claims. They are, otherwise okay. They have good coverage of doctors, for both primary care and specialists.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I cancelled your coverage after the first month of enrollment yet I am still receiving bills. A health care insurance provider should have representatives available 24/7. Not Horizon Blue Cross. I have notified them of my cancellation three months ago yet still receiving bills. It's obvious that your your representatives are not only unavailable but illiterate. If my balance is not deleted I will seek legal action for fraudulent billing!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

A retiree in NJ and was forced to switch over to BCBS of NJ from Aetna. Need to get to doctor in second week of January. Informed several months ago of switch to comparable plan I had with Aenta. Never received a new card or patient ID card/number. So I try to get on portal and it's telling me I have to register as a new subscriber which I understand. However the link to it WILL NOT LOAD after hours of waiting. Called number given and of course "Call volume higher than expected". Here we go. What a joke.

Our NJ politicians and this company are in bed together. They had MONTHS to figure this out. If I can't even get a card or member number, how the hell are they gonna take care of me and my health? There is no email to make a complaint UNLESS you are a REGISTERED MEMBER. HHAHAHA...no registered members-no complaints I guess. Can't even message them on Facebook. What a joke of a company. I never liked them before and when I HAD A CHOICE of insurance I stayed away. I see they they haven't improved customer service, only their bottom line.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

Blue Cross and "Bait and Switch" Health Insurance. I purchased the silver with a 50% out-of-Network only to find out months later there was no out of Network covered. I spent way over my deductible without any medical bills being paid by BCBS. When I called, I was told, "We don't guarantee we cover any of your medical. Paying your bill every month only guarantees we'll keep your account open." I could not believe what I was told while every out over $4,000 of paid insurance and out of pocket over $10,000. What a racket! I spoke to other people who had BCBS and they had similar stories. Blue Cross Blue Shield needs to be shut down and investigated and there should be refunds.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I am so mad that every time I call on my own claims they tell me I cannot because the insurance in my wife’s name even though she has given the insurance the authorization to do so. Their member services are by far the worst I have ever dealt with. Zero stars????

Original review: April 16, 2019

I am a state worker and even though everyone thinks we have the best plans with the best coverage, I beg to differ. We were recently forced into Horizon. I use to have Aetna which I’ve now learned was so much easier to deal with. I receive one round of Orthovisc knee injections per year. When I had Aetna the process was seamless. My doctor's office would request the medication, Aetna would deliver it, and the doctor’s office would call me when it arrives in to schedule my appointments. My doctor requested this medication in February and it is now April and still no medication.

Blue Cross uses a slew of different pharmacies for different meds to make things cheaper. It took two months for me and my doctor's office to figure out which pharmacy is filling this prescription. I’ve probably called the insurance company 5xs in the past two months and been on the phone at least a half hour to forty minutes each call. This is unacceptable when you are paying top dollar for an insurance plan. I’d take my Aetna plan back in a heartbeat. Blue Cross needs to get better management/training in their various offices and stop trying to cut corners.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Any plan can be improved. I have a federal government plan, which is different from the regular Blue Cross Blue Shield plan. I’ve been told the federal plan is the best plan out there by other companies where I have inquired.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Signing up with Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey will cost you big in the years to come. They offer competitive rates when you are initially signing up, everyone is familiar with them and they seem like a good choice... Don't be fooled. When you turn 70 your premium will take a huge jump, beyond normal yearly increases. This is because their premiums are Age Rated. Most Medigap plans are Community Rated. What this means in plain English is that every 5 years from age 65 your premium will increase dramatically... 1st increase at age 70 was $75.00 per month for my husband, plus yearly increase. Be careful how long you live.

If that's not bad enough, new this year, 2019, the age increase is automatically given a nonpreferred rate. In order to get the preferred rate you must pass underwriting questions, which many are not able to pass. Perhaps the worst is that they lie by omission. You are not told about their outrageous increases when you sign up. They also will tell you that all the Medigap Plans are age rated. This is false, they may be the only one to do this. They found a loophole. They also lie and say that their new Preferred/non Preferred rates are the same as other insurers. Again, this is not true. Choose wisely. I switched my policy to AARP/Universal because they are honest, forthright and were shocked when I told them what Horizon is doing.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

If I could give negative stars I would. This could be a total fraud company, nothing is OK and I know the plans are not inexpensive. I am begging our HR to change providers. Horizon has been the worst insurance experience ever and I've had to go through NY State plans which are not the best to deal with. 2 doctors prescribing the same medication I've been taking for YEARS and never had an issue with submitted prior authorizations MANY times. When pharmacy tries to fill, they are told Dr needs to submit PA which they have over and over again. They try to call but cannot get anyone on the phone for hours - both doctors think it is a rouse to make a person give up so this company does not need to cover anything. I agree. This company is completely horrible.

Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Company Information