formerly Assurant

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.32/5

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Late Payments. I have had to deal with this company twice in 10 years with the same results, But in the most recent I was prepared and correctly submitted all my documents along with ensuring they were received on time from my doctor, my employer, and myself by phone and e-mail to include my canceled check for direct deposit. This was easy as I was waiting forever in the last incident to get my money and lo and behold it is happening again.

I contacted them to ensure claim was accepted to their reply "yes". My operation was on the 6th of December 2019 and after calling every week I was finally told 2 checks were in the mail which I received on December 31, 2019. When I asked them why they did not direct deposit they said they were unsure but ensured the next check would be direct deposited on January 3, 2020 via direct deposit. Guess what, It wasn't. I called today and was told it was not set up even though Ashley ensured through a phone call it was. So now I wait 10 days for the next check and wait for a call from Ashley to tell me she has done it again and does not know why it didn't get set up before. I believe they are told to hold the money as long as they can so they can move from escrow and draw interest and am sure the representative gets bonuses for doing this. Of course all the while we are trying to make ends meet with our fiances with no repercussions on them.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

I have gastroparesis and heart failure and even after having a heart attack in the past was made to wait several weeks for any kind of payment. They always say they didn't get the information from your doctor. Even though my doctor shows me the forms and the confirmation it went through on their fax. Also they never update you on your case and you are made to constantly stress and call them for updates. They have made me wait as long as 6 weeks each time before I receive any form of payment. When you're sick and not able to work, you shouldn't have to go through this. They are all the same. It's their job to not pay you is what they need to say!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I have been out since the end of September and I decided to put my claim in November 26, 2019. I called this company from November 26 until December 11 to see if everything was okay with my paperwork. They informed me on November 26 that they needed a statement on the accident (occurred on job) and if I see any other doctor info. I was already in my 7th day of processing, so I sent them paperwork on Dec. 11. Now I have to start the process all over again. Let's not forget you can't print no forms online, so you have to wait to receive the information in the mail. How about people that don't have access to a fax machine?

I been with them for 15 years with 3 claims. I am seriously thinking about ending my contract with them. How about the expedite claim process isn't always guarantee? I have another private disability missing paperwork and I don't have to start the process all over again. So I am sitting home not getting paid from comp or my disability company. I have a mortgage and two small children to provide for and let's not forget other bills.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Stage 3b cancer. Need several surgeries, multiple rounds of chemo, radiation, more surgery, etc. They approved my short term disability, but now that doctor put me on LTD, they suddenly don't have any of my medical records. You know, the ones they used to approve my short term. My rep got rude with me when I asked when will I receive an approval. I am paying for Cobra and no income. It's been in their court for months, yet they can't get their information together.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Sunlife just as any insurance company will deny you if you have a sneezing attack saying you have asthma. I wanted a little bit more on the short term disability and wanted long term disability but they denied both. Unless you are healthy and young, don't bother wasting YOUR hard earned money on this company. As with the thousands of 1 star reviews, they are not a good company to deal with. They are a scam!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I have read all the horrible reviews and I personally have experienced the exact same horrible issues everyone else has. One or two people saying they're horrible is one thing but having 98% of their clients terribly dissatisfied is another. I just thought that my case worker (Anita) was mentally handicapped and I was unlucky to be assigned to her because of her incompetence but apparently everyone there will lie to you, lose your paperwork, send faxes to the wrong doctors, stall tactics and try to starve you out waiting on your benefit check. They never waited on or missed a payment from me. I have to call them everyday to make sure that they are doing their job. That's probably the worst part of post surgery and recovery when you add all the stress they cause. We should all get together on a class action lawsuit and force them to be accountable for their actions.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

They are the ABSOLUTE worse. The worse. I have a chronic, potentially fatal disease that has landed me in the hospital twice since diagnosis. It is a very rare disease with only 2% of the world having it. And while my specialist, PCP, head of HR and boss all agreed I needed to be on short term disability they denied me time and again because they’ve never seen my disease nor did they understand it. It took numerous letters from my doctors, all my records, etc. and they still denied. They only approved once my HR department got into it after I said I was getting an attorney. I didn’t get. Paycheck for three months while they were “reviewing” my case. My case worker NEVER called and updated me. I had to call them.

They called the wrong phone number numerous Times (supposedly) and my doctor had to fax my information over several times because they “never got the information” from them. I finally had to email my case worker the information before they finally “received” it. Their customer service is horrible. If I had a choice I would never use them. I would never recommend them to anyone and if I could give them zero stars, I would.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance is a scam. They take forever to process your claim and won't contact you. They even put down an old phone number from a previous state we'd lived in and called it instead of the phone number on the application. They are liars. They give you the run around. They take your money and deny you your disability. My husband was admitted to the hospital for stroke range blood pressure due to the racial discrimination and hostile work environment at his job. He has been on FLMA and applied for short-term disability. He has been seeing a counselor and placed on blood pressure medication. He was also diagnosed with acute traumatic stress disorder which is a precursor to PSTD. They flat out denied him, trying to send him back to a hostile work place environment. Do not use this company.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I went out on FMLA for a total hysterectomy due to an on going medical condition. My Dr. put me out for 8 weeks of recovery time. I got paid from Sun Life for 2 1/2 weeks. The rep told me even though I had a major surgery I should have been back to work within a month. Despite being on pain meds, having internal stitches and barely can sit up for a long period of time. They feel since I have a sit down job I should be working and not out for a month. Then asked me do I think I need more time to be out and kept asking how I was feeling. Why ask how I'm feeling and see if I need more time if you won't pay me since you think I should have went right back after surgery. How can you tell me how long I should be out if my medical Dr. assigned me a certain amount of time. I will be appealing this claim. Terrible and horrible company! Would recommend to no one.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Horrible Horrible Horrible! They take around the world and again. I heard from the person in charge of my claim once in the whole 2 months. They come up with some ridiculous ways to not approve you. Just really Horrible service. They need 0 stars not even one.

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Company Information