formerly Assurant

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Reviews

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Horrible Horrible Horrible! They take around the world and again. I heard from the person in charge of my claim once in the whole 2 months. They come up with some ridiculous ways to not approve you. Just really Horrible service. They need 0 stars not even one.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Sun Life Financial is the life insurance provider through my workplace. Have been trying to get supplemental life insurance for many months and they keep dropping the ball and never activating my coverage. I have submitted all evidence of insurability but they can't seem to get things working. Always wait on hold for 15 minutes trying to reach customer service. Terrible experience, terrible company.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Wife had an abscess, filed claim for coverage before Thanksgiving. Waited until after New Year’s when abscess broke into nasal cavity. Emergency procedure denied! Oral surgeon couldn’t get anyone on the phone for review. This isn’t insurance, it’s a death panel!

Original review: June 6, 2019

If I could give 0 stars I would. Company is taking 2 months just to get paperwork that has been sent 7 times. They kept saying that it was never received frustrating my Dr. office and my job. If given a choice please don’t choose Sun Life.

Original review: April 17, 2019

This insurer is recognized by most suppliers. The certificate/policy number can be retained on file by the service providers we use so payments are processed online quickly and deposited directly to our bank/credit union without having to fill in forms, mail, etc. If a form and receipt are required, these can be submitted electronically to avoid the printing, copying, mailing process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance?

Original review: March 27, 2019

I was recently on a FMLA leave due to stress, anxiety and health issues. My leave was approved and then doctor submitted for me to go back to work but with intermittence leave.. Was approved until May 2019. Due to reactions to medications I was have issues with ability to do my daily task. Took off more days in intermittence leave. Had my doctor fax multiple times paper work and the now saying denied...It's pending. Waiting paper work...Its take 5 business days.. This has been ongoing for almost a month. How to do approve leave and then try to adjust it.. With my doctors giving you the proof. I can end up losing my job due to their ways of doing the jobs.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Sunlife Financial is only there to protect employers from granting FMLA to qualified employees. They use stall tactics such as delaying paperwork, claiming paperwork faxed over weeks without it ever reaching its destination, and the most clever of all is using a call center where no one ever takes responsibility for stalling and blocking. These people seem very skilled at stalling until one has to cancel scheduled surgeries/procedures due to the never ending "pending" status. This company should be investigated and prosecuted for blocking FMLA claims.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My husband is very ill. He has Neurocognitive deficits and memory problems. He can longer do the high stress job of an Interventional Radiology Technologist. He did this for 30 years. They approved his claim for disability. But it is only 7 months after the initial review and they are doing another. The started the day after Thanksgiving ending on 12/26/2018. Holiday time real nice time for a review, NOT. This review was a nightmare.

They harassed us and his providers. They received the records requested from all providers within 2 weeks of requesting them. But they kept calling, writing threatening letters, to us and the providers saying they did not have the records when it was already proved that they did. Threatening to cut my Husband off because they did not have the records when they actually did. When the Sun Life rep called on the 6th anniversary of my son’s death to harass me about records she already had, she actually laughed about the death of my son. These people are not human. His providers have expressed to me they felt harassed by them.

They deal with many disability companies and said they have never been treated this way. Also, my husband was approved for SSDI on the first time and got a big check at the beginning of December. Most people have to appeal. It was because I worked my butt off to get this. This allowed Sun Life to get a big reimbursement check thanks to my hard work. You think they might thank me for this. No...just more harassment. Now they only have to pay my husband a little over 500 dollars a month, the rest now comes from SSDI. So why all the harassment SUN LIFE??? Over 500 dollars a month. You are despicable people.

I have a consult with a Disability Lawyer. We will discuss the recent harassment and the unnecessary stress they put on us at Christmas no less. The lawyer will act as a buffer. Write them a stern letter about consequences to them if they continue with the harassment. Heck maybe we will sue. They truly caused us mental, emotional, pain and suffering. My advice to others don’t let them run all over you. Tell them that harassing you is not acceptable and has legal ramifications.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Got tossed around like a ball talking to different associates all the time, and each one tells you something different. They are absolutely horrible with paperwork and either didn't send medical forms at all or sent them to the wrong doctor. I waited an enormous amount of time getting approved and eventually getting a check. I feel bad for any single person that would have to wait that long to feed their kids! I was sick, the absolute worst time of my life and Sun Life made it that much worse.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I was told by the agent that signed me up for STD/LTD insurance that I could continue my policy should I ever leave my company. I have made several calls, sat on hold for hours, literally and gotten a different answer from each person I finally do get the chance to speak to. I received a letter this week stating that I was not going to be able convert my policy since I had not had the policy for at least a year.

I specifically went over this point with more than one agent/broker when I purchased the policy as a condition that I would purchase it and was told several times it would be no problem. This company puts the screws to people when they are in need and it is very, very wrong! I plan to pursue this with legal counsel without end! Agents tell you anything and are not held accountable for their false statements. Terrible customer service... They do not answer their phones, and no one has any answers. The hours of operation for the office I have been trying to reach is only open 10 AM to 2 PM, really? My lawyer is on the ready.

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Company Information