2.35/5

576 Assurant Phone Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 25, 2019

I recently came back from my vacation to Paris, France. Unfortunately while going through the metro turnstiles, for a brief moment and lapse in judgement, I placed my phone in my back pocket making my way through the gates. Just like that my phone was picked from my pocket. Three weeks prior, I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy S10+.

Needless to say, I was able to get in contact with Assurant via the website. After filling out the online claim form, two days later, my replacement phone arrived at my home. Unfortunately, I was still on vacation for five more days before I can play with my new toy. I am very pleased with the service I received and the prompt replacement of my phone. The only thing is that the phone I lost was the blue S10+ and it was replaced with the black phone. Thanks Assurant for making the experience a less stressful one.

Jonathan ** from Los Angeles

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Sorry that happened to you, but we are glad we could be of assistance!

Original review: May 23, 2019

I lost my phone and I called Assurant to find out how to get it replaced and how much it would cost. I was kind of freaked out and I've never gone through this kind of process before, so I didn't know what to expect and maybe I wasn't in the best mental state at the time. The rep was understanding and genuinely engaged with me on the phone. He wasn't one of these people who you can tell is just there to read a script and give you a transparently uncaring customer service experience.

He calmed me down and assisted me very efficiently and gave me all the important info I needed to know. I didn't know how much it would be and it was a little more than I was prepared for (because I wasn't prepared lol) but he was kind enough to just set up the claim and give me a number so that I could pay my deductible the next day. He even told me when I needed to file my claim by in order to receive my replacement phone within 24 hours. Without an expedited shipping fee. I'm in customer service and I can tell you whoever hired him did a great job, bec6he did too.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Devon, thanks so much for your wonderful feedback!

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2019

The response time is good and fast but I will suggest a complete accessory should come along with the product since all is insure together. Like in my own case my headset is damaged and I lost the charger long time ago. I hope you can send me the headset and charger but if not ok.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Glad to hear the process went smoothly! Normally, accessories provided as part of your original purchase are covered only in the event of the simultaneous loss or theft of both the device and the accessory. If that is the case, please private message your claim information.

Original review: March 21, 2019

My phone stopped taking charge the other day. On that same day I went to T-Mobile and they told me to call Assurant. It is usually through an automatic caller but I forgot my pin so I talked to a representative. The first representative hanged up due to technological issues. I then called again with the help of the T-Mobile representative and the process for filling with Assurant was quite fast. The only problem I had was with T-Mobile since I had to file it twice because of incorrect advice from their representative. I also had trouble with accessing my Apple ID. Assurant told me it will take 5-7 days for the new phone to arrive, but it actually came overnight. I am extremely grateful at how relatively fast everything was and it made all my previous trouble worth it.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Rogelinal, thank you for taking time to leave a review. We are glad that we could provide you with prompt service. We are always here to assist.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

My claim was approved quickly and within four days of filing the claim, it had been accepted and I had my replacement phone in my hands. When I sent my damaged device back, I did not expect for them to not quickly acknowledge that it had been returned. I then started looking up experiences with Assurant and quickly became worried that I was going to be charged for a phone I returned because I didn't actually hand the package to a worker at the post office, take video of me sending it, or pay to have FedEx ship it with tracking. It has been almost a month since I sent my phone back and luckily I woke up to an email this morning saying that they have received my defective device! In the future I definitely will go down avenues that give me more security in proving that I returned a phone should they ever say I didn't.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Phone Insurance?

Original review: June 24, 2019

I never had to be so upset to file a claim for a lost phone, where the rep completely messed up everything. Even after specifically providing the information to the rep. My phone was delivered almost a week later. I had to go pick up my phone at UPS since they couldn't deliver it to the address for some odd reason. The name was incorrect on the delivery. I had to waste my time to go pick up the phone and had another person come with me so they can pick up the package instead of me. Seriously one of the worst experiences I've had in a while.

Original review: June 24, 2019

The phone they sent to me was messed up. I do not feel as though we have to pay thousands of dollars for phones and we end up getting a refurbished phone when we're paying for a replacement over $100. This has happened to me more than once over the years. Either they need to do better on checking the phones they send out or they need to send us phones brand new. We end up paying thousands of dollars for these phones on our bills altogether. Why should we have to get a refurbished anything. Send us a proper phone or at least make sure extensively that the phone will work properly.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I lost my phone and called Assurant customer support to start the process of putting in a new claim. The gentleman (for lack of a better word) was reiterating the same dialog. He did not listen to me and then proceeded to lie about the information he gave me (which was confirmed after I spoke to a manager at a later date). I had originally filed the claim online. When I called to see where my phone was, the representative told me that I had just filed the claim that day (after I was put on hold and transferred to HIS manager). I had the confirmation number as proof I did not file it that day.

It was a complete disaster in customer care. I did finally get a new case manager and she resolved the issue. This was after many days of trying to get the issue resolved. The woman apologized profusely about the previous manager and did call me back 24 hours later to make sure she had resolved the problem. She was very helpful but it left me feeling like the process needed a lot of changes. I would not suggest this company to anyone.

Original review: June 24, 2019

The representative explained how the process worked regarding filing a claim for my damaged phone. It was all done in a matter of minutes. I thought it would be a lot of emailing and downloading of forms. But everything was handled in less than ten minutes by phone. I received my replacement phone a day earlier than scheduled along with the envelope to return the damaged one. This was my first experience dealing with Assurant Phone Warranty and it was nothing less than great. I’m a happy camper!!

Original review: June 23, 2019

I've been without a phone since 6/11/19. They sent me a broken phone to replace my broken phone. The customer service is horrible. They could care less. This company is a joke. All they do is read a Script. They could care less about me and my son not having a phone to call for help. I had to call and ask when my new phone is and has it even been sent out. They could have sent me email telling they didn't have a new replacement phone. So now it's going to take even longer. To the people in customer service you need more than just training. You need to be a human bean. This company sure did take my $100 fast on the 6/11. I'm going to report to the BBB well. If I could give them no stars I would.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are sorry for this situation. We would like to look into getting this resolved. Please share your claim number and best contact number via private message so that we can have a representative review and contact you directly.

Original review: June 23, 2019

My claim for my phone was handled by fast. The service was excellent. I received my retirement phone in 48 hours. The retirement phone is perfect and came fully supplied with cables further and headphones. It requires no effort on my behalf. Thank you Assurant.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your business.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I filed a claim with Assurant and it was handled very quickly. Shipped my replacement overnight. Well that is the only good thing I can say about this company!!! I noticed my refurbished device was defective (sound, panning & it will not recognize a sim card). I call them back and was told I needed to go to a T-Mobile store and do a warranty exchange which I did. After waiting a week and nothing from anybody I called them back. They told me it was sent to the store so I drive to the store and NOTHING.

The clerk at the store told me I needed to contact the insurance company which I did and was transferred to the warranty department where I received a message I can only deal with them through US mail. Hmmm, so I call back a fourth time and was told they would email me a label to ship the defective device back. Well the next day I checked, NO LABEL. I called and was told I had to wait 24 hrs for the label. Now it's well past the 24 hr mark and still no label. The last call I did and will make to them did absolutely nothing. This is not an insurance company but legalized robbers!!!!

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We apologize for this inconvenience. Could you share your claim number and best contact number via private message so that we can look into this?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 22, 2019

The experience I have had with Assurant has been nothing but a headache. Filed a claim, once it was approved the process was fast, next day shipping. Sadly, That was the only great thing about the experience so far. I received my refurbished device, which I had no problem with I’m already aware there is a 50/50 chance of receiving a new one. Immediately upon activation I noticed the device was defective having audio issues I couldn’t hear even though the volume was up. & as well people have been stating that they having been calling me and I have not received not one call. Not even a missed call. So I tried to give the phone a few days thinking maybe it just needs a few days to adjust. But then I kept getting messages saying people were trying to reach me.

I called 9 days after having the phone and the lady said that she couldn’t send another replacement because there was a 7 day police and she cold transferred me to Apple and told me I had a warranty with them. That lady was no help to me at all and only wanted to get me off her line. The issue had nothing to do with apple. So the senior advisor at Apple called Assurant back and stayed on the line with me for over an hour to make sure that they will be sending me another device. Long story short they will be sending me another phone on Monday and if it is defective I will be back here Tuesday with another review. It’s very frustrating to be paying for a service to be covered in case of emergencies and you’re not even guaranteed or properly able to use that service.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We understand your frustration with this inconvenience.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I received a device as part of claim which cannot be used. I started my policy as ATT S7. After my contract I unlocked and moved on to Sprint. When I had issue with phone I filed a claim, first their website isn't working. Mid way through claim I received fatal error, had to call customer service. They started claim process and even I told rep I had an unlocked device she could only process ATT device as initially at policy start it is ATT device. Now ATT is not unlocking device, Assurant is not sending a like to like device. I am left with a device I can't use. I won't recommend it to anyone.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We did receive your information via Trustpilot and followed up with you directly. You should have a voicemail from one of our teammates.

Original review: June 21, 2019

The automated system is a nightmare to navigate. It kept forwarding me to Apple customer service. The Apple representative tried multiple time to transfer me to Assurant and it kept rerouting us to Apple. There is no option to speak with a representative either. Once I was finally able to put in a request for a new phone, it came quickly and was quite easy however your automated system needs a major overhaul. Better yet... Talking to an actual person would be very nice.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are sorry for this inconvenience. We appreciate your feedback.

Original review: June 21, 2019

They handled two phone claims for me and despite issues that came up they were still able to handle the situation and were able to explain clearly what went wrong as well as how to fix it and returning the damaged devices was much simpler than anticipated.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are always glad to help!

Original review: June 21, 2019

I cracked my phone screen and attempted to replace it. I tried to file a claim online, but was told to call. What followed was 5 hours of bouncing between Assurant, Apple and T-Mobile trying to get information. I was told I had coverage which I didn't; told my coverage was with another company, told they'd rebooted the system and I'd have to wait half an hour (or hour).

Finally one tenacious T-Mobile rep stayed on the line with me and grilled the Assurant rep until they admitted the problem was in their computers, just for my account, and their IT department would work over the weekend to fix it (this was a Friday). I called back Saturday. It took me multiple tries to find someone who understood the situation. They told me their IT department never works on the weekend. When the problem was finally fixed the exchange went smoothly, but the refurbished replacement phone has trouble with freezing and is slower than the one it replaced. I immediately dropped my Assurant coverage through T-Mobile and will only buy protection directly from Apple.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are sorry for the inconvenience of this situation, we understand your frustration. Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I called about the glass being broke on my daughter's cellphone and they told me that I could get it replaced. They sent me a new phone and the package to send the damaged phone back and it only cost me $50. I was really surprised because the insurance co-pay on a smartphone is usually a lot higher.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are glad that we could be of service!

Original review: June 21, 2019

I was very pleased with the prompt services. I called it in on a Friday and received a phone on Saturday. I liked the free shipping on the return of my old phone. They also let me know when they received my old phone.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Great to hear! We are glad that we could make the process quick and easy.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Our US Cellular store helped us file a claim after the microphone in my husband's iPhone 8-plus suddenly quit working. (He could hear callers, but callers could not hear him.) We were a month past warranty (of course!) so we had to file the claim and pay $175 for a replacement phone. Talked to the Assurant rep on Monday evening and the replacement phone was delivered the next day before we got home from work. New phone works perfectly so we were very pleased with the service.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Great to hear, thanks for taking a moment to leave a review.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I lost my iPhone while on vacation. Once home, I went home a T-Mobile store and the salesperson was so helpful and assisted me by calling Assurant to report my iPhone lost. It took about 20 minutes on the phone with the Assurant agent to report my loss and request a replacement iPhone. The service agent was very helpful and comical. He was very responsive and sympathetic to my situation and assured me I would receive a refurbished X iPhone (he could not guarantee a new phone) overnight. Although I did have to pay a $249 deductible, the phone did arrive the following day and thank goodness I have not had any issues with this iPhone.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are glad to hear that your experience was prompt and efficient.

Original review: June 18, 2019

So I had to go to T-Mobile because my dogs knock my phone out of my hands and it cracked the screen. Sooo they told me to call Assurant. The first time I called I got a guy who barely could speak English. Then he wouldn't process it because it said Minneapolis instead of Coon Rapids.. then hung up on me. So I has to go back to the store and talk to them again. Then call again. They told me I would get my replacement in 1 to 2 days.. I waited until about 5 o'clock on the 3 day. Still no phone. I went back to the store and had them call to find my phone. They said, "It's out of stock and we will get you when it comes back into stock." I waited 8 days... It was a horrible experience.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are sorry that this was your experience with us and we understand your frustration, thank you for your feedback.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I am happy with the customer service and the price of my deductible but I think that when I filed a claim a few months ago they gave me a refurbished phone... I had my new phone by the pool and water got in the camera. Samsung Note 8 phones are supposed to be water resistant up to three feet for up to 30 minutes. I didn't even come close to challenging this feature and somehow water got in my phone and into the camera. I think the phone that I had only had for a couple of months was refurbished and the factory seal was improperly replaced. So I had to file another claim shortly after the first claim and then put this phone in a bulky waterproof case.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have been paying Assurant for over a year for my iPhone 7 device through T-Mobile. About 3 weeks ago, the phone's audio stopped functioning. According to my contract, "mechanical failures" should be replaced by Assurant with $0 deductible. Over the course of 5 phone calls and about 4 hours of time (3 of which were Assurant agents arguing with T-Mobile agents for T-Mobile to replace the phone instead of themselves while I was on the line) I was repeatedly told Assurant would not honor my $0 deductible situation. Instead, multiple Assurant agents tried to convince me they were doing me a 'favor' by falsifying my claim to 'accidental damage' and only charging me a $95 deductible.

It was only after a final 1.5 hour customer service call, escalating to manager after manager while threatening a lawsuit did they finally agree to replace my device as was originally agreed upon when I signed up. Due to the utter dishonesty and poor customer service I received, I believe that Assurant is acting in an immoral and dishonest practice towards customers. Although I cannot confirm, I must assume that they are taking advantage of other customers out there without their knowledge, as is what almost happened to myself. Please beware of this organization and how they treat customers.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry for this situation, this isn't our usual level of service.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Worst ever. They kept asking for things not provided by my previous phone provider. Kept requesting the same documents 4 times! Absolutely horrible customer service. Never returned my calls! Eventually after going to corporate it was resolved.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We hope that we can deliver a better customer experience for you in the future.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I had purchased Assurant Insurance coverage for my daughter's iPhone 6. When her phone was stolen, we submitted an insurance claim. We were pleased with the relative ease in which the claim was processed and a replacement phone received. We did have to pay a $175 (deductible?) at the time of the claim, but that seemed reasonable. However, that was 4 months ago, and now the replacement phone has died. The Apple store told us it was a hardware problem that cannot be fixed. When we contacted Assurant, we were informed that the warranty period on the replacement phone was only 90 days. So now I realize that I paid $175 (in addition to the monthly insurance premiums) for a refurbished piece of junk that only lasted 4 months. Lesson learned.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We apologize for this inconvenience and would be glad to review to see if we can find a way to resolve this issue. Please send a private message with your full name, claim number and best contact number so we can review and contact you directly.

Resolution response: June 19, 2019

Nathan from Assurant was extremely helpful and kind! I want to thank him for all of his help in this situation.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Assurant was easy to file a claim and receive my "new" phone. However, they give you a refurbished phone. I was unaware of this until it decided to automatically turn off and turn back on 22 consecutive times in a row which it now does 4 to 5 times a day. I took it to the Apple store and they told me that it was a hardware issue and they would be unable to fix it and I would have to buy a brand new phone. I then called Assurant and their warranty only lasts 90 days. They told me that I should file a new claim and pay for ANOTHER phone.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are sorry to hear about this occurrence. We would be glad to look into the issue and see if there are any other options to resolve this issue. Please send a private message with your full name, claim number and best contact number so we can review and contact you directly.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I lost my device (iPhone XS Max) and filed my claim. Firstly, Assurant took like a week without responding and then they asked me for my device receipt. When I gave them that information, they still declined my claim after a week saying conflicting information. When I talked to the customer service, they said that they did not have the information about my claim being declined. Assurant wanted me to mail the corporate office which is all the way to Pennsylvania just to know why my claim was denied or what information they wanted from me. The customer service has always been rude and not helpful but I still had to take it being a T-mobile customer. This insurance is a rip-off. And guess what, I cannot even contact the corporate office with phone or email for more details regarding the decline.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Rajana, thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback with us. We received your information via Facebook and are currently investigating.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I pay for Apple care theft prevention every month and it is RIDICULOUS that I am being refused a replacement phone because "Find My Phone" was off at the time it was lost/stolen. I just got this new phone from Apple a few months ago and I went through the process of setting it up, and I'm assuming I turned on Find My Phone and didn't turn it off. But when they directed me to Apple to check - they saw it was off. Whether this is accurate or not I don't know, but it's NOT right or fair that I should be rejected a replacement especially when there is not enough education or notification going out informing people to make sure this is on, otherwise they won't qualify for a replacement phone - that's just shady. Whether the app is on or off, I deserve a new phone because I am paying for this insurance every month. Now I'm left without a replacement phone and still having to pay off my lost/stolen phone. That's just not right.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Hi Melissa, we received your feedback via Twitter and responded there. Find My Phone is a requirement for a loss/theft claim. If you have additional questions, please reach out to us privately.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I don't want to go too much into detail but the company did what they had to do in a well experienced and professionally way. I asked for my phone and it came when they said it was gonna come. No problems.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Glad to hear! We are always happy to assist and deliver a efficient, easy experience.

Assurant Phone Insurance expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Assurant Phone Insurance offers phone and tablet insurance through providers in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Brazil, Argentina and Italy. It offers a wide range of plans that cover device protection, data restoration and technical support.

• Replacement services: Assurant offers replacement in the event of loss, theft, accidental damage or mechanical breakdown. These services are especially useful if your mobile device’s warranty has expired.

• Pocket Geek: Select Assurant policies include Pocket Geek, an app for your mobile phone which allows you to troubleshoot, monitor device performance and even wipe the device in case of theft.

• Lookout Mobile Security: Assurant pairs with Lookout Mobile Security, which protects your phone from outside threats like malware and spyware.

• Data protection: Assurant allows you to backup 100 GB of data, allowing you access to your important information even in the event of theft or loss.

• Global provider options: Assurant pairs with U.S. Cellular, T-Mobile and Bluegrass Cellular in the United States, Claro Up in Brazil, Movistar in Argentina, TIM in Italy and T-Mobile in Puerto Rico.

• Best for: mobile phone owners with expired warranties.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Assurant Phone Insurance Company Information