4.5/5 (516 ratings)

About Assurant Phone Insurance

Assurant is a phone insurance company that provides damage coverage plans. Assurant’s insurance plans are available through several cell phone providers, with costs depending on your mobile carrier’s rates.

Top Assurant Phone Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Phone Insurance?

Verified

My experience was great, the process was seamless without any issues. I processed the request online and the system was user friendly. I received my package in a timely manner and...

Verified

Excellent customer service! Listened carefully to my concerns. Willing to help me and did so expeditiously! I was very pleased with the customer representative and decided to rema...

What is Assurant Phone Insurance?

Assurant Phone Insurance helps customers protect their cell phones. A manufacturer’s warranty usually only covers hardware malfunctions and manufacturer defects, and they typically only last for the first year of your device’s life. If anything happens outside of those issues or that time frame, your warranty won’t help you.

Assurant offers protection plans that cover a variety of potential situations. This includes incidents like theft or loss, issues like water damage or cracks and hardware issues. This coverage provides financial protection if something happens to your phone, which is crucial as cellphones become more expensive.

Assurant is not available to purchase on its own. The company’s insurance plans are only available through the mobile carriers it’s partnered with. Contact your provider to ask about availability and learn about plans and pricing.

Assurant plans

Nearly a dozen carriers work with Assurant, and each has its own Assurant plans and offerings. For example, Xfinity has one plan for iPhone users and another for Android users. T-Mobile, on the other hand, has basic and 360-degree plans that cover both iPhone and Android.

A basic plan covers hardware issues once the manufacturer warranty expires. It also covers accidental damage, loss or theft. Some providers may require a deductible or service fee for specific repairs. Advanced coverage includes AppleCare services (for Apple devices) and tech support, such as Tech PHD or Pocket Geek.

To know exactly what Assurant plans are available to you, contact your mobile carrier or check its Assurant brochure.

Assurant prices

As with the plans that Assurant offers, your insurance cost varies depending on your mobile carrier. Some carriers offer several tiers with a variety of deductibles, while others have a single cost. There are many affordable options for those who want to save and higher-priced options for those who want the best coverage for their devices. Here are some example per-month costs:

• Metro by T-Mobile: $6
  • Bluegrass Cellular: $7.99 to $9.99
  • Spectrum Mobile: $7 to $18
  • Xfinity: $7 to $15
  • T-Mobile: $7 to $25
  • U.S. Cellular: $9.99 to $11.99

Check your provider’s Assurant brochure to see which plans it offers.

Assurant Phone Insurance FAQ

What does Assurant cover?

Assurant covers a variety of issues that aren’t included in your manufacturer’s warranty. These include theft, spills, loss and general malfunction. It also covers device hardware after your manufacturer’s warranty expires.

Does Assurant cover cracked screens?

Assurant may cover a cracked screen if your package includes accidental damage coverage, but there’s usually an extra service fee.

How long does it take Assurant to process a claim?

Customer reviews generally mention a fast claims process with Assurant. Many reviews state claims take 24 hours or less to process.

Does Assurant give new phones?

Assurant doesn’t give new phones as a replacement, usually. It offers customers refurbished phones of similar quality. If there is no refurbished phone available, then Assurant provides a new phone of similar quality. All replacement phones come with a six-month warranty.

Is Assurant legit?

Assurant is a good option for phone insurance. Since Assurant is only available through your phone carrier, your cost and coverage depend largely on your provider. With that said, most carriers have affordable options for phone protection. If you’d rather not risk losing or damaging your phone, Assurant is a good safety net to have.

Assurant Phone Insurance Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2017

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Phone Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

Two associates were extremely nice (** gentlemen with tattoos on his hands). The rest had a strange attitude like they don’t want to be there. I came 10 minutes early to pick up my phone and I was exploring new phone that I wished to purchase or settle a plan, nobody was seem interested to check on me. The gentleman’s I liked (one was gone and the second one was busy with another customer). Second, the store smelled on ** so badly. But that is nobody’s fault- that’s the new normal. Even I don’t think it’s normal. I work in service industry and I always wanted for my guests to feel welcome and respectful. Today I was just there to repair my phone and the atmosphere was a bit odd. I guess I will stick for the new purchases at Santa Monica location because they are rockstars over there! Sorry but they absolutely know how the customer service works!!! Repair technician was fast and overall AMAZING.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We appreciate any feedback that you are able to provide! Thank you for sharing.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Accidentally damaged my phone screen when I was removing my phone from my pocket and it dropped to the ground and shattered the screen. I force the phone over to the Metro by T-Mobile store nearby my home in San Francisco California and they gave me the information I needed to get in touch with the company Assurant... I called them and they verified the situation and also give me the information that I needed to either pay my deductible online or at the store location so the next day I went to the store location and paid and within the lot of time I received the replacement phone package. There's a box to send it back that was provided and I just need the transfer the information from my old phone to the new one and get that taken care of and then I'll send that back to them. It's all done in a timely fashion and just looking at the phone that they sent it's it's very nice so I just have to transfer everything over. Thank you. Bryan

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Glad to hear you had a great experience!

Original review: June 28, 2022

Updated on 07/08/2022: I got a good answer back from company. Just that I should have known before I went ahead and paid for the new TVs. Didn't know it had to be equal value. I am willing to work with them. They said I have 180 days to replace TV if I want claim paid.

Original Review: I'm had a claim for bedbugs which was paid but the claim for theft didn't go as well. I didn't know that you had to buy TV'S of equal value. Someone been breaking in my apartment since I live here in Eastover SC Lewis Scott Court 2005 till 2022. It's been an ongoing situation. My bank account and my life has been turned upside down. Just recently I decided to get this insurance because of the bad experience but adjuster didn't explain the process of the claim and didn't tell me that I had to purchase TVS of equal value.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We appreciate you providing this feedback. If there is something we can look into for you, please send us a private message with more details.

Original review: June 10, 2022

The people who helped me on this claim were wonderful, professional, and courteous. However, it was a huge hassle to get my claim filed and processed. I have this policy through Xfinity Mobile and it’s an iPhone 13, so I also have AppleCare. You would think being double covered would be better, but it honestly becomes more of a game of “pass the buck”! At first Apple told me to take it to Best Buy to be fixed, when I made an appointment and showed up the guy told me they don’t have the parts for the 13, so he would have to order them, and keep my phone for a week!

I’m not able to not have a phone for a week (like most people it’s my whole life on there) so I was frustrated that I had been sent there at all when they don’t even fix the model phone I have! Shouldn’t Apple know these things about their “certified iPhone specialist technicians” at Best Buy? Then Apple said to either go to the nearest Apple store (45 miles away) or give them a card they can put a $1000 hold on to “make sure I return my BROKEN device”! Who the heck has $1000 they can just put on hold?? And who has the time to drive 45 miles to another town to get a phone repaired? Regardless, I made the appointment and went to the Apple store, where they said because my AppleCare was purchased through Xfinity, the price of the repair was tripled, why???? The cost is the same??? AND they needed the phone for 4-5 hours to fix it!!

I wasn’t expecting that kind of wait time and had to get to work. So I’m back at square one, and call Assurant to see if I am covered by them. Luckily I got an amazing and helpful person who helped me right away and was able to get my new replacement overnight! Thank you so much for understanding my hassle and actually following through with your coverage Assurant!!!

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We're so sorry for all the issues you encountered with this claim, but we're happy an agent could help. In the event you still need assistance, please send us a private message.

Original review: May 4, 2022

My experience with replacing my dad's phone was extremely satisfying. The timeline in which the Palmer city place was impeccable. It was fast. I spoke with more than one individual. Two out of the three were extremely helpful and supportive of the urgency and they did everything they possibly can to help me get my dad's phone back to him as soon as possible. However I do recommend some type of system in place for elderly or aging parents as in my dad's. He is 82 and has signs of Alzheimer's and dementia therefore he was not able to remember his password, he was not able to remember his code number and he was not able to receive a text message to the phone to help with the verification process because he lost his phone. Therefore I really do believe there should be other measures or other options in place to mitigate the problem.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We apologize for the issues your father faced, but we value your insight. We're happy you were able to get the phone replaced.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

I have phone insurance from my Wells Fargo credit card. Pixel 7. Phone was damaged due to water, which caused the screen to fail. Got an estimate for $350 to repair. Filed claim with Assurant using their online portal. Not too complicated of a process. Within 1 week they had approved the claim, offering either another phone (used) or to pay for repair to existing one. I chose repair since I needed the information off the phone. They OK'd it and transferred money ($350 minus $25 deductible) into the bank associated with my credit card (Wells Fargo). Entire process was just at 1 week. Probably would have been faster, but it took me a while to find someone who would work on water damaged phones and who would provide a written quote. I ended up using CPR which turns out to be associated with Assurant, which maybe helped.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are thrilled to hear you are pleased with the experience!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

I had insurance on my phone for the 4 years I been with Sprint/T-Mobile. I have been paying $15/month and in Jan 2023 I needed to use it for a cracked screen. The repair cost is $29 but when I tried to file the claim on the phone the only option I got was to do a replacement with a used phone for $99. I said why do I have to get a new phone when the phone works and I just need to replace the screen. They said the option wasn't available to me and I had to pay the $99 for a replacement phone. So I tried to file a claim online and it gave me the option for a screen replacement for $29. I got a claim number and inputted my CC # for the $29 and got the address to the repair store in Queens.

When I when to check on my claim with the store, I was told they didn't see my claim number so I called back and got the biggest run around you couldn't even imagine. I spoke to 4 Assurant agents and 5 T-Mobile agents. All together I spend 2 days and 5 hours on the phone to get no help. I paid $720 or more to get no help. I finally got the last Assurant agent who told me that the repair store doesn't have the parts need to repair. So I called the store and they was willing to order and replace the phone. But I found out the real reason after calling the store, it would cost over 200 to replace the screen and the insurance company just didn't want to pay that when they can just have me pay $99 to get a used phone.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are very sorry to hear this. So that we can have this reviewed, please see our private message requesting additional information.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

My cell phone broke and I returned it to T Mobile. I continuously get calls from T Mobile canceling my service. I spoke to a rep and found out that Assurant did not enter a credit for $500. for the returned phone which was the hold up on the bill. Contacted Assurant and was told that they have up to 2 billing cycles to fix the issue. I was then told that I had to call T Mobile and continue to have my account placed on hold until the credit posts. I feel that this is unacceptable as the consumer and they are just doing this so we forget about it and pay the extra money!! Over an hour several times to fix this and still receiving phone calls from T Mobile because the outstanding balance is still pending for the returned phone.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are very sorry to hear this. Please see our private message with additional information.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

After getting the run around and hung up on 3 times. I was also transferred to Metro 3 times while sitting in a Metro store. Claim was denied online. Phone will not charge. Called customer service and was told I had to go to store to file claim. Went to store and store cannot file claim. Called back and was told that is correct and they would handle on the phone. Was than transferred to Metro again. I was hung up on three times and put on hold for over 12 minutes before line went dead twice. Asked to speak to supervisor and none were available. Worst customer service ever!! Do not use for phone insurance!!

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are very sorry to hear this. Please see our private message requesting additional information.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

So, my phone was stolen after months of paying for insurance EVERY MONTH. I called to make a claim and my claim was somehow denied. Assurant CLAIMED I was not cover by insurance however my phone company, T-Mobile, has corroborated me and stated I did pay for and should be cover by insurance. They completely lied and said my phone has not been active since September. It is now November. I have proof that my phone was used up until it was stolen. T-Mobile records reflect that my phone was very much active. They are lying about the records they have to get out of honoring Insurance. I would suggest insuring with Apple Care as this company is illegitimate.

Assurant Phone Insurance Company Information