4.4/5 (902 ratings)

About Assurant Phone Insurance

Assurant is a phone insurance company that provides damage coverage plans. Assurant’s insurance plans are available through several cell phone providers, with costs depending on your mobile carrier’s rates.

Top Assurant Phone Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My experience was great, the process was seamless without any issues. I processed the request online and the system was user friendly. I received my package in a timely manner and...

Verified

Excellent customer service! Listened carefully to my concerns. Willing to help me and did so expeditiously! I was very pleased with the customer representative and decided to rema...

What is Assurant Phone Insurance?

Assurant Phone Insurance helps customers protect their cell phones. A manufacturer’s warranty usually only covers hardware malfunctions and manufacturer defects, and they typically only last for the first year of your device’s life. If anything happens outside of those issues or that time frame, your warranty won’t help you.

Assurant offers protection plans that cover a variety of potential situations. This includes incidents like theft or loss, issues like water damage or cracks and hardware issues. This coverage provides financial protection if something happens to your phone, which is crucial as cellphones become more expensive.

Assurant is not available to purchase on its own. The company’s insurance plans are only available through the mobile carriers it’s partnered with. Contact your provider to ask about availability and learn about plans and pricing.

Assurant plans

Nearly a dozen carriers work with Assurant, and each has its own Assurant plans and offerings. For example, Xfinity has one plan for iPhone users and another for Android users. T-Mobile, on the other hand, has basic and 360-degree plans that cover both iPhone and Android.

A basic plan covers hardware issues once the manufacturer warranty expires. It also covers accidental damage, loss or theft. Some providers may require a deductible or service fee for specific repairs. Advanced coverage includes AppleCare services (for Apple devices) and tech support, such as Tech PHD or Pocket Geek.

To know exactly what Assurant plans are available to you, contact your mobile carrier or check its Assurant brochure.

Assurant prices

As with the plans that Assurant offers, your insurance cost varies depending on your mobile carrier. Some carriers offer several tiers with a variety of deductibles, while others have a single cost. There are many affordable options for those who want to save and higher-priced options for those who want the best coverage for their devices. Here are some example per-month costs:

• Metro by T-Mobile: $6
  • Bluegrass Cellular: $7.99 to $9.99
  • Spectrum Mobile: $7 to $18
  • Xfinity: $7 to $15
  • T-Mobile: $7 to $25
  • U.S. Cellular: $9.99 to $11.99

Check your provider’s Assurant brochure to see which plans it offers.

Assurant Phone Insurance FAQ

What does Assurant cover?
Assurant covers a variety of issues that aren’t included in your manufacturer’s warranty. These include theft, spills, loss and general malfunction. It also covers device hardware after your manufacturer’s warranty expires.
Does Assurant cover cracked screens?
Assurant may cover a cracked screen if your package includes accidental damage coverage, but there’s usually an extra service fee.
How long does it take Assurant to process a claim?
Customer reviews generally mention a fast claims process with Assurant. Many reviews state claims take 24 hours or less to process.
Does Assurant give new phones?
Assurant doesn’t give new phones as a replacement, usually. It offers customers refurbished phones of similar quality. If there is no refurbished phone available, then Assurant provides a new phone of similar quality. All replacement phones come with a six-month warranty.

Is Assurant legit?

Assurant is a good option for phone insurance. Since Assurant is only available through your phone carrier, your cost and coverage depend largely on your provider. With that said, most carriers have affordable options for phone protection. If you’d rather not risk losing or damaging your phone, Assurant is a good safety net to have.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Phone Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

Two associates were extremely nice (** gentlemen with tattoos on his hands). The rest had a strange attitude like they don’t want to be there. I came 10 minutes early to pick up my phone and I was exploring new phone that I wished to purchase or settle a plan, nobody was seem interested to check on me. The gentleman’s I liked (one was gone and the second one was busy with another customer). Second, the store smelled on ** so badly. But that is nobody’s fault- that’s the new normal. Even I don’t think it’s normal. I work in service industry and I always wanted for my guests to feel welcome and respectful. Today I was just there to repair my phone and the atmosphere was a bit odd. I guess I will stick for the new purchases at Santa Monica location because they are rockstars over there! Sorry but they absolutely know how the customer service works!!! Repair technician was fast and overall AMAZING.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We appreciate any feedback that you are able to provide! Thank you for sharing.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Accidentally damaged my phone screen when I was removing my phone from my pocket and it dropped to the ground and shattered the screen. I force the phone over to the Metro by T-Mobile store nearby my home in San Francisco California and they gave me the information I needed to get in touch with the company Assurant... I called them and they verified the situation and also give me the information that I needed to either pay my deductible online or at the store location so the next day I went to the store location and paid and within the lot of time I received the replacement phone package. There's a box to send it back that was provided and I just need the transfer the information from my old phone to the new one and get that taken care of and then I'll send that back to them. It's all done in a timely fashion and just looking at the phone that they sent it's it's very nice so I just have to transfer everything over. Thank you. Bryan

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Glad to hear you had a great experience!

Original review: June 28, 2022

Updated on 07/08/2022: I got a good answer back from company. Just that I should have known before I went ahead and paid for the new TVs. Didn't know it had to be equal value. I am willing to work with them. They said I have 180 days to replace TV if I want claim paid.

Original Review: I'm had a claim for bedbugs which was paid but the claim for theft didn't go as well. I didn't know that you had to buy TV'S of equal value. Someone been breaking in my apartment since I live here in Eastover SC Lewis Scott Court 2005 till 2022. It's been an ongoing situation. My bank account and my life has been turned upside down. Just recently I decided to get this insurance because of the bad experience but adjuster didn't explain the process of the claim and didn't tell me that I had to purchase TVS of equal value.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We appreciate you providing this feedback. If there is something we can look into for you, please send us a private message with more details.

Original review: June 10, 2022

The people who helped me on this claim were wonderful, professional, and courteous. However, it was a huge hassle to get my claim filed and processed. I have this policy through Xfinity Mobile and it’s an iPhone 13, so I also have AppleCare. You would think being double covered would be better, but it honestly becomes more of a game of “pass the buck”! At first Apple told me to take it to Best Buy to be fixed, when I made an appointment and showed up the guy told me they don’t have the parts for the 13, so he would have to order them, and keep my phone for a week!

I’m not able to not have a phone for a week (like most people it’s my whole life on there) so I was frustrated that I had been sent there at all when they don’t even fix the model phone I have! Shouldn’t Apple know these things about their “certified iPhone specialist technicians” at Best Buy? Then Apple said to either go to the nearest Apple store (45 miles away) or give them a card they can put a $1000 hold on to “make sure I return my BROKEN device”! Who the heck has $1000 they can just put on hold?? And who has the time to drive 45 miles to another town to get a phone repaired? Regardless, I made the appointment and went to the Apple store, where they said because my AppleCare was purchased through Xfinity, the price of the repair was tripled, why???? The cost is the same??? AND they needed the phone for 4-5 hours to fix it!!

I wasn’t expecting that kind of wait time and had to get to work. So I’m back at square one, and call Assurant to see if I am covered by them. Luckily I got an amazing and helpful person who helped me right away and was able to get my new replacement overnight! Thank you so much for understanding my hassle and actually following through with your coverage Assurant!!!

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We're so sorry for all the issues you encountered with this claim, but we're happy an agent could help. In the event you still need assistance, please send us a private message.

Original review: May 4, 2022

My experience with replacing my dad's phone was extremely satisfying. The timeline in which the Palmer city place was impeccable. It was fast. I spoke with more than one individual. Two out of the three were extremely helpful and supportive of the urgency and they did everything they possibly can to help me get my dad's phone back to him as soon as possible. However I do recommend some type of system in place for elderly or aging parents as in my dad's. He is 82 and has signs of Alzheimer's and dementia therefore he was not able to remember his password, he was not able to remember his code number and he was not able to receive a text message to the phone to help with the verification process because he lost his phone. Therefore I really do believe there should be other measures or other options in place to mitigate the problem.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We apologize for the issues your father faced, but we value your insight. We're happy you were able to get the phone replaced.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I wasn't sure where to return phone, and had to go to more than one location. This was a problem since I am disabled and had to have someone take me back and forth. The communication could have been handled a little better.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We can understand your concern about your experience. We thank you for providing this feedback.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

I lost my phone and was able to file a claim online. It was promptly acknowledged and a replacement shipped the following morning. I received the phone in a couple of days including clear instructions and assistance from T-mobile store staff to set it up. I am pleased with and recommend Assurant.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are happy you received the replacement in a timely manner!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I was not able to get my stuff off the other phone. I lost all my pictures and no one can replace them. Can't be more disappointed but can't do anything about it and I was not able to get my contacts out either.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are very sorry to hear about this experience. We appreciate you sharing your feedback regarding your situation.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

After placing my claim everything went smooth as clockwork. All directions for completing the downloading of my old phone to the new phone was as easy as 1 2 3. Thank you very much from a very satisfied customer. I will not hesitate to refer friends and family to your company for insurance on their phone, tablet or computer. This is not the first time I’ve used my insurance to replace my phone. This is the 5th time I’ve replaced a phone with your company. In the long run it is much cheaper and much easier than buying a new phone and paying an outrageous amount of money for a new phone. You

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are glad we were here when you needed us. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Customers service was great and very professional to answers all the questions and prontelly we may needed. Thanks you for great team work and yes definitely I will recommend all my friends to join with me. Thanks. All the best Victor **

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are happy to hear you had an excellent experience! Thank you for recommending us.

Assurant Phone Insurance Company Information