1.32/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

323 Assurant Phone Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

The worst insurance you could get. Not worth it. We bought our iPhone and after filling for a replacement the phone got lost. Now we dont have a phone or a replacement phone because even though we pay insurance every month and not our fault but the post office they wont get us cover. Ridiculous. Better off without paying it. I should of gone to Apple Store and replace it myself.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My phone died, it is a Samsung Note 5, I called Assurant to file a claim. I have paid insurance on this phone for approx. 3-4 years. I gave them the date of 11/25/18 as the date the phone died. My son later advised me that the date my phone actually died was the day before Thanksgiving, 11/22/18. They denied my claim stating that because I gave them the wrong date and the SIM card was not in the covered device, my claim is not covered. I put the SIM card in an old phone with a broken screen so that I would have access to my office. I do not understand why the location of my SIM card matters, since my phone was DEAD. Additionally, if the date has to be the exact date, the reps should advise consumers that the exact date is required or it will affect the claim. When the rep asked me to confirm the date, I said "it sounds about right" without checking the calendar or confirming with my relatives.

Regardless, once I confirmed the date with my son, why can't the date be amended? This is just an unfair practice which allows Assurant to not pay claims while collecting hundreds of dollars in premiums. They told me I had to pay $99 for the deductible at the time I filed the claim. My phone online is valued at $159, with the $99 deductible, the cost of replacing my phone would be $60 plus shipping to Assurant and since the replacement phones are refurbished, I guarantee the cost to them is even less. The reasons given to not replace my phone are unfair, irrelevant and excuses used to rob the consumer. I will no longer maintain insurance on my phone, this is a legal scam.

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I filed a claim with Assurant on 11/25. After being put through much hassle to send in requested documentation, the claim was approved on 11/28. I sent in the requested information the very same day I received the e-mail requesting it. It took several submissions of the same documents via e-mail and the online upload tool before they confirmed they had what was needed. I was told that all claims approved before 8:30 P CST would be shipped same day, expedited. I did not receive any shipping confirmation that day. I called the next morning to let them know that I had not heard anything although the e-mail indicated I would receive shipping confirmation within "24 hours". This is when I found out that they hadn't send confirmation because they do not have the device in stock to send to me.

I proceed to ask when it would be, only for them to tell me they have no idea, could be a couple days or a couple of weeks. Highly unsatisfactory. The website stated that in the event your model/make is not available they would send a comparable device, which I inquired about. The representative advised that there wasn't one available. After escalating the call to a supervisor in Assurant, is when I was actually told he had no idea when they would be getting the phones in the warehouse, and that there was nothing that could be done as there was "no comparable device to a galaxy s9+".

Highly dissatisfied and unacceptable. Their one job is to replace phones and they can't even do that. Of course, this is after they have already charged my card $200 for the deductible on a device that they cannot even fulfill. So I am at this moment, STUCK without any type of phone to use until further notice. Thanks to this piss-poor, abysmal, poor excuse of an phone insurance company. If I could give them a "0" star-rating, I would.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I cracked the screen on my phone Note 8, and filed a claim on 8/24/18 to have it replaced. I paid the replacement fee and received my phone overnight. Great, right? WRONG. I returned my damaged phone in the envelope provided immediately. I went about my business with my replacement phone, thinking all was well. About a month later, I get a letter from Assurant stating that my phone was never received. So I call to find out what was going on. They assured me that the tracking number on the phone showed that the phone was received on 9/4/18 at the warehouse, and they just had not scanned it in for some reason.

They also told me not to worry and to disregard the letter because they had the phone and I would not be charged. Great, right? WRONG. I get ANOTHER letter the next month, saying the same thing as the last - that my phone had not been received and I could be charged the full replacement value, blah blah blah. But I disregard the letter, because Assurant had already told me to do so, and confirmed that they received the phone.

The NEXT month, I get the SAME letter... and I disregard it again, thinking maybe the letters are just being mailed out by mistake. Then in November I see a charge dated 11/7/18 on my T-Mobile bill for $528 for not returning the phone. So I'm like WTF and call Assurant to ask about this. They tell me that they see that the phone was received, but they don't know why it hadn't been scanned in yet. So they put in a request for more information and tell me to call back in a few days to get an update.

I call back and the representative tells me that even though they see that the phone was returned, the $528 charge is VALID, because they were unable to scan the phone and verify the IMEI number on it. I ask why, and they tell me that the condition that the phone was in when it was received, prevented them from being able to scan the phone, and therefore the $528 charge is valid. So I'm pissed, and ask what condition it was received in, because I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to do. If the post office delivered it in a condition that is different from what I dropped it off in, that's not my problem. That's what USPS insurance is for, and that's between Assurant and the USPS, NOT ME. They tell me that I need to work it out with T-Mobile, because their hands are now tied. I ask to speak to a supervisor, and was refused and hung up on.

So I call T-Mobile, and got a really nice rep on the phone. I'm crying at this point, because who the hell has $528 to pay for a phone that isn't even my possession anymore? The rep calls Assurant on 3-way, and that Assurant rep tells us the same thing the last one told me. That the charge is valid because they couldn't scan the phone. Mind you, the IMEI number is available behind the battery. If my phone got ran over by a car and smashed, they wouldn't be able to scan anything either, but they can still verify the IMEI from the inside of the phone.

Anyways, T-Mobile is on my side. They're asking the same questions I had just asked, because it makes zero sense that Assurant acknowledges receiving my phone, but adamant on charging me a no-return fee because they can't scan it into the system. The Assurant rep tells us there's NOTHING they can do, that the charge is valid and that's that.

So the T-Mobile rep asks to speak to a supervisor... They transfer us to a supervisor. The supervisor looks at the notes on my claim and agrees that I shouldn't be charged because they received the phone. She says that it appeared they received into the warehouse AND that it was scanned in, BUT they didn't tag the phone until AFTER 90 days. And 90 days is when they charge you the no-return fee. So basically, someone NOT doing their job resulted in my being charged $528!

So the supervisor says she will put in a request to get the charge removed, but warns me that it's not guaranteed. So now I have to wait to see if it gets approved and removed from my account. Meanwhile I have to work with T-Mobile to see if they can issue a temporary credit or hold on my account for that amount, so that I can just pay my normal bill and not have my service disconnected because it's less than the whole bill. This is a complete mess, and unacceptable. Assurant needs to do better. And given that I've seen so many similar stories, they better hope they don't end up with a class action lawsuit against them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I don't even know where to begin here. I'm being charged $500 for the lost device three months after sending it back, now they're claiming that it was not found and that I'm the one responsible for it. It all started with a broken screen, which I tried to replace using AppleCare since I had opted for the more expensive insurance plan that included it according to T-Mobile. At the Apple store I was told that my iPhone had no AppleCare and that I had to go through Assurant instead.

I paid my deductible and once I received the replacement phone (a refurbished device that keeps crashing and has a worst battery life than the one sent in) then I placed the broken device in the mail. When I called T-Mobile to figure out what was going on, they seem to have received the empty box where I mailed the phone in, but the phone itself was missing, so now they want me to file a claim with USPS to get my money back. Doesn't this sound a lot like a scam? Someone needs to look up what goes on with these terrible phone insurance companies. They are bullies and we as consumers are being held hostage by their terribly unfair practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Phone Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have 2 phones with T-Mobile. When I signed up, I was told what my payment would be until the phones were paid off, or so I thought. I looked at my new phone bill, and just like that the insurance went up $2 a month on each phone. I have to pay the same every month, but Assurant can change their rates at will, and you either shut up and pay it, or you can cancel the coverage, and have to pay out of pocket should something happen.

If they want to change rates, they should at least have to wait until your term is up, like ALL other insurance is. And, I wasn't told about this increase by anyone. It just showed up on my new bill. I'm on a fixed income, and this is so not right that they can do this. I'm going to drop my coverage on principal alone. The whole cellphone industry is just a big money machine for these companies. Crappy, poorly made phones, crappy service, and crappy overpriced insurance. And people line up every time a new phone comes out. All the sheep need to wake up, and stop taking this giant ripoff!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

This situation is still pending a final outcome. I have Xfinity mobile phone service and pay for insurance through them. Assurant is the company they use. I filed a claim in 10/28/18 for a broken LG Stylo 4. They put a $1 hold on my debit card. On the 30th I realized I probably listed the wrong model of phone because they only list a set of letters and numbers not the actual types of phones. I sent an email via their site to inform of the correct model. No response. On 11/1/18 I sent another email via their site because we had not heard anything. Probably about 11am that was sent.

Around 8pm I received an email stating the model was not covered. I call Assurant that night and spoke with a nice gentleman who updated my account with the correct model because apparently the email on the 30th was not enough to do so. The next day the $1 hold was off the card. No contact from the company. The fast claim site just read model pending.

On 11/7 I called Assurant again to find out why nothing was happening. The gentleman was again very nice but the option given is unacceptable. I'm told that they do not have a Stylo 4 phones in stock and have no idea when they will get any in. They have no other phone they can provide. I can go to the store and BUY a new phone outright and send them a receipt that will take 24 hours to process and then in 10 days I will receive a refund check for up to $250 plus taxes minus my deductible. So instead of spending just for $40 for the deductible I am supposed to spend over $200 on a phone I currently have on a payment plan because I can't buy one outright and then wait over 2 weeks for a check.

I spoke with Xfinity mobile themselves who were shocked by this but after much time and a 3 way phone call confirmed this was my only option for a replacement phone. Xfinity was waiting for a supervisor to come in to see if they could do anything to help. They did have me call Assurant back to speak with a supervisor to see if they knew of a delivery for phones or if they would waive the deductible because it had been over a week and a half and they didn't even make contact with me about the situation. I was told no one knows when there will be any phones and the deductible is non-negotiable. After she first tried to tell me how they did email me and then decided that no that only responded to my email.

I am very angry because their contract says they have to provide me with a new phone. Nowhere does it say I have to buy a new phone (and if I don't want to spend so much up front I need to buy a downgrade!) And then wait and hope they send a check. And how do I pay bills and groceries in that time. I may be filing a complaint with the NH insurance regulation per the contract I have with Assurant. I feel they have failed to make their end of the agreement.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

This company is literally robbing people. So after A LOT of arguing and pleading that my iPhone 6s needs to be replaced due to broken camera and screen, which they only agreed after I had a T-Mobile supervisor call Assurant supervisor, they sent me an iPhone 6s replacement not in an iPhone box and it was not working. I’ve been paying insurance for 3 phones for over 2 years and these scumbags are charging me 175 bucks to get a refurbished iPhone 6s which was broken!!! I should have gotten an upgraded phone. They don’t even make iPhone 6 anymore. What a complete waste. The BBB HAS to investigate this company, please. Millions of people are being duped and have no clue.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Received my replacement Galaxy S8 within 24 hours after placing call to Assurant and payment of $175 deductible. However, the replacement phone was defective as the camera would not focus. When I called the second time, they denied responsibility for the defective phone and said it was up to T-Mobile it. Can't recommend this company. IMO they are not even honest.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My experience with Assurant has been nothing but frustrating. I've been trying to get a replacement on my Pixel 2 phone that broke. On 10/09, I filled a claim for a replacement that was immediately approved and should expect a replacement in a few days. By 10/22, I still didn't hear anything, so I called. They helped me open a ticket and told me I'll heard back in 3 business days. One week later, still nothing! I called and they opened another ticket. They were very understanding, but they couldn't do anything. Now it's November 1st and I called to find out the first tickets was not sent properly. So I wait again, patiently...

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I filed a claim, paid the deductible, got a shipping notification with tracking number. 2 days later the tracking number still wasn't working - had to call them and be informed that the device hadn't actually shipped. While their reps were polite and wanted to help, the results and not knowing what is happening within their own warehouse is extremely unprofessional.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I too, am in the middle of a terrible situation with Assurant and am now convinced that they are a scam company. At the end of August, I chipped my phone and needed a replacement. They sent out the new phone, I paid the deductible of $100 and I returned my old phone with a post office receipt the very same day. A month later I received a letter stating that they never received the phone and would charge me for the lost phone. I called the company and they said that yes, they could see the phone was delivered on Sept. 4th but according to the warehouse, they had no idea where it was. I was assured that it was their mistake and I would not be charged.

On October 15th I received another letter stating that they would charge me if the phone was not returned. I called and was told that the package was located on September 26th and found to be empty. If this is true, that means it was missing in their warehouse for 22 days and mysteriously appeared 2 days after my first call when it was found to be empty. After multiple calls with numerous "supervisors" I was told my only option was to open an investigation with the post office (even though it was lost on Assurant's watch for almost a month). They said that I could write a letter to corporate but that corporate does NOT have a phone number and they do NOT have an email.

I plan to write this letter but if the situation is not resolved, I will cancel my family plan with T-Mobile as they should not be selling scam insurance with their plans. I'm disgusted with Assurant and disgusted with T-Mobile for aligning with this company. The more I read, the more I find out just how fraudulent they are. T-Mobile HAS to be aware of this by now and yet they continue to sell insurance on their behalf every day.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

After purchasing a phone and protection plan through T-Mobile, Assurant changed coverage amounts and deductibles, not abiding by the agreements at time of purchase. This is just a bait and switch scam. The phone I purchased was, and still is valued at $350. According to the Tier structure published by Assurant, that makes my phone a Tier 2, $50 deductible and $9/mo premium. I have been paying the $9 premium, but when filing a claim my phone is suddenly considered a Tier 3 phone, with a $100 deductible. Last time I checked, the definition of bait and switch is as follows: "the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods." This review strictly considers the customer relations of Assurant alone, and is not a reflection of my dealings with T-Mobile.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I lost my iPhone XS Max and quickly received a replacement. The replacement looked brand new, straight out of the box and same color. I had no issues with them and when I called I received top notch customer service. The other negative reviewers on this site probably went against their policy, which led them to have a bad experience. This company isn’t a scam and they do keep their word. Thanks Assurant.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Lost my phone, claimed it, got a refurbished phone (mine was brand new less than 2 months old). A couple of months later, someone returned my phone. I called and told them that I will send the phone back and expect the deductible back (250 bucks). They said, "No, send the phone back and you don't get nothing." Then they got nasty. I asked them why, they said it's on the policy. I asked for a copy of the policy that was sent to me. They said I need to go online to see it. I asked for the one they sent to me, if they did. Then they passed me on to a different department and I had to leave a massage, no one there. How can they justify recovering their loss by getting the phone back and yet keeping the deductible. Rude people too. Have them on three phones, will drop them tomorrow. Don't waste your time with these people.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I sent in a claim for a replacement phone. According to their website, replacement should be received within 1-2 business days. Phoned on day 3, and the girl said that delays were typical due to stock issues and that I should receive a phone within a few days, and to call back if I hadn't received it within 6 days. Phoned back after 6 days, apparently the address had been inputted incorrectly.

The first idiot inputted the address incorrectly, the second idiot didn't check to see what the issue was, even though the address issue had been flagged by the system when I called and gave me incorrect information (the phone was in stock), and was finally resolved on the 6th day. Incompetent. This is their only job, and they can't get it right. Seriously, how complicated is this?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Filed a claim on a damaged phone and paid 175.00 deductible! Sent damaged phone back immediately and got a tracking number. Got multiple letters saying they have not received so called them but had confirmation of delivery. Person said they had software problems and inventory backed up, but did verify they received my phone and not to worry. They would get the backlog entered. Just got my phone bill and they charged me for phone not being delivered!! Now I have to spend more hours to try to resolve this, just glad I had proof of delivery!! Awful company with no integrity or value of customers.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My story is too long to tell. Took me 6 weeks to get my deductible back after I returned a phone they sent me to replace my daughter's lost phone we filed a claim on. Which was returned by a very nice person the next day. Never opened the phone they sent me and they received it on July 23rd at 8:58 am. I have the FedEx proof. I did not get my deductible back until September 5th!! Her phone was now stolen, and filed a claim on October 3rd 2018, and now they are "reviewing". It has been the "5 day review process" and still nothing. T-Mobile needs to drop these sorry people/company!! People need to know how bad they really are!! Do NOT pay for Assurant insurance!!! They suck!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I dropped my phone and destroyed the screen, so I filed a claim with Assurant which I had paid for over one year. First off, I was charged a 100 dollar deductible... given that the phone cost 250 when I bought it, this seemed steep, but I paid it. One month after I had returned my phone I received a letter stating that I would receive an additional charge if I didn't return the device. Fortunately I had a tracking number and called the company. They confirmed that they did indeed receive the device and I would not be charged further. However, a couple weeks later I again received a letter again threatening charges if I didn't return the device. Called again and confirmed its receipt.

That was in July. Fast forward to October and I have a 138 dollar charge on my T-Mobile bill because they supposedly don't have the device. I called their customer service for the third time and when I confronted them about this scam they are running the customer service rep became VERY rude. They said they would refund this fraudulent charge... remains to be seen. They have currently charged me more than the cost of the phone, sent me a poor quality replacement (some refurbished phone with sticky buttons) and have horrible service with fraudulent charges. If I could give a negative rating I would. They are the worst experience I have ever had with a company, hands down.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Never really had any problems with insurance companies. The people who answer the phones can't really do anything. As in they are not privileged to. Filed on the 16th. They denied my ID. Nothing wrong with it. Filed it again on the 19th. Called on the 24th. They were told they just got the claim... And have no access to do anything with it. Assurant can go screw itself.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I had called customer only because I have been paying for insurance I have never used. I wanted to know how it works or how can I benefit for something I been paying for the past 2 1/2 years and they get upset? Why? I mean they are getting pay to do a job! Worse customer service ever. Sorry but they need to hire people that care because we as a customer are paying for service.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

You are probably are reading this because your claim was DENIED by Assurant. I like others here were denied claims due to their rules were not followed (even though they are not mentioned in the policy). Please do your homework before you purchase this plan for $12.00 monthly. My claim was denied because I didnt file it in a timely manner and I had removed the SIM card and placed it in a spare iPhone that was working. So, I have wasted all the premium payments of over 2 years for this BS excuse not to cover a claim. They will find any excuse to deny your claim request.

Read the other consumer reviews and see for yourself all the negative feedback (about 99.1 percent). There needs to be a class action lawsuit filed against this company. So many consumers have been ripped off by them. They don't even deserve a 1 star rating. It should be a 0. T-Mobile needs to drop this third party insurer before it hurts their reputation. I don't see how they get away with this SCAM!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Broke my S8+, had insurance, filed a claim. THEY SENT MY PHONE TO THE WRONG ADDRESS... WHICH DOESN'T EXIST. I figured it out before USPS sent it back (it was a huge hassle). 1 week later it broke!! But they don't deal with twice broken phones they say!! But they were sooo kind in giving me T-Mobile's generic phone number so I could take it up with them... ** Assurant.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I broke my brand new Galaxy S9 phone screen. I filed a claim on the 8/18/2018. I’ve had to call and follow up every day. They gave me a runaround every phone call. They didn’t bother to call or email any follow-up info. They needed the original receipt so provided it, 3 times. They needed the IMEI number of my Xfinity mobile app. They already had the number but they needed to know if I knew the number. All that still wasn’t good enough. It’s now 9/4/2018. I still have no phone and no answer. I am beyond frustrated with this company. I spoke to another woman this morning and she actually ignored my complaints and started laughing at someone in the background. Completely unprofessional. I have service through Comcast which I will be canceling because of this Assurant company.

Resolution response: Sept. 5, 2018

A very helpful agent named Shelly called to tell me that my phone was indeed under warranty and I had received faulty information in that regard. I am still not happy that I have to use the warranty as I'd much prefer to have the phone working properly to begin with, but I will say that Assurant was on top of social media complaints. I got a call back within an hour. So as far as working with the company to get this resolved, I'll update to 4- stars.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Assurant "insurance" is a scam. I bought "insurance" on my Galaxy Note 4 through T-Mobile. I paid on it long past the time my phone was paid off because it's not like anyone at T-Mobile or Assurant says, "Hey did you realize that you're wasting your money by continuing to pay for this?" Regardless, my Note 4 died and I called Assurant to replace my phone. I paid $175 (deductible) for a refurbished Note 5 (which, btw, NEW costs $150). So my $150 Note 5 has cost me about $600 at this point. Inside my packaging I received a little card that said I had a 180-day warranty on the phone. So I wasn't too worried, thinking that if the phone was crap, at least I'd have 6 months to return/replace it.

About a month to two months in, the battery started dying much too quickly. So I call Assurant, thinking they'd be able to replace the piece of crap refurbished phone they sent me - or at the VERY least replace the battery. I went through the whole phone process - until at the very end they asked how I'd like to pay for the $175 deductible! They literally told me I'd have to pay ANOTHER $175 to replace it (most likely with another piece of crap refurbished phone). They told me that they could only have replaced the other one within 7 days of my having received it.

So let me get this straight, you are sending me a refurbished phone that you only guarantee will work for ONE WEEK?!?! The customer service agent told me I could talk to T-Mobile about it. When I spoke to T-Mobile, they didn't know why the 180-day warranty card was even in the packaging because Assurant doesn't warranty the replacement phone. So now I've paid hundreds of dollars for literally nothing. Assurant is a scam company and I will write reviews everywhere I can telling everyone I can not to waste their money.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

My iPhone 8 Plus screen broke, completely unresponsive, called T-Mobile and they provided the phone # for Assurant. Called them, they took my claim and three days latter I found out that the claim was denied due to the SIM card being removed from the phone to use it in another one during the process. My phone is my work tool. Called T-Mobile and they just washed their hands. Stuck with a broken iPhone 8 Plus and no replacement. This company is a SCAM, stay away.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I have a $300 (not so expensive) HTC phone that was damaged when I dropped it. I pay for insurance and have had T-Mobile phone service for ten plus years. I went through the steps for a replacement phone and the process should be a lot faster being that I need my phone. It took several days to receive the replacement because no products are shipped over the weekends. When the replacement came it was damaged and I had to send the replacement phone back leaving me several more days without a phone Grrrrr...

Then I'm getting letters that my original phone has not been sent back and I could be charged for the total cost of the phone. I call and tell them both phones the damaged replacement and my original phone that was broke were both sent back. They did not see one being checked in. After time spent on the phone informing them both phone were sent it was later determined that I was not trying to keep a broken phone and had sent it back. This whole experience was a joke. Very disappointed in the service. It would be better to exchange the phone in the store, given a replacement phone on sight and have the store deal with you people! Two thumbs DOWN!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

My son leased an LG K20 from T-Mobile, it's not a very expensive phone. When he stepped out of a vehicle it fell out of his pocket and was ran over by a truck. The front cover of the phone shattered and the battery was bent. He put in a claim, received the new phone. He received the return addressed package and put the back piece and battery inside. He took it to the post office and sent it. I received a letter later saying the phone had not been returned and I would be charged if not returned. I called and was told that the phone was showing up as being received. About a week later I received another letter saying it was not received. Now I am confused and a little angry.

I called back and was told the package came in empty. I could not understand why someone would even send an empty package, especially through the post office. How do you prove you sent a phone in. The phone was totally destroyed and no reason to keep it. Is the warehouse going be the final authority for this, are we going to lose every time this happens. My son was going to return the new phone to T-Mobile to keep me from paying for 2 phones but could not do that either, I guess it's a lose-lose situation. I found out they don't even sell the K20 in the store. Maybe they are trying to make money from overstocked phones, who knows.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

If I can give 0 stars I would... I had to activate an older phone on my line after my phone fell and the screen broke. I travel a lot for work and had no time to actually file a claim with them. When filing the claim I gave them a date that I thought was more or less correct about when the phone broke. During their checking process with T-Mobile they saw that the last date that the phone was on the line was about 2 weeks earlier than the date I gave them of when the phone was actually broken. Because of this they do not want to cover the phone and said that "Sorry but the coverage only covers the phone that is on the line."

I have the broken phone sitting on my desk... This is totally unbelievable, after paying for this coverage for over 3 years I was not able to get coverage because I was off by a few days? That is so unfair... And since the IMEI number on the phone is already associated with a claim I Cannot even file another one. UNREAL. Do not waste your money on this scam company. If there is a way for them to not help they will find a way. NEVER AGAIN AM I PURCHASING THIS COVERAGE AND HAVE ALREADY REMOVED IT OFF MY LINE.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

My claim was approved quickly and within four days of filing the claim, it had been accepted and I had my replacement phone in my hands. When I sent my damaged device back, I did not expect for them to not quickly acknowledge that it had been returned. I then started looking up experiences with Assurant and quickly became worried that I was going to be charged for a phone I returned because I didn't actually hand the package to a worker at the post office, take video of me sending it, or pay to have FedEx ship it with tracking. It has been almost a month since I sent my phone back and luckily I woke up to an email this morning saying that they have received my defective device! In the future I definitely will go down avenues that give me more security in proving that I returned a phone should they ever say I didn't.

Assurant Phone Insurance expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Assurant Phone Insurance offers phone and tablet insurance through providers in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Brazil, Argentina and Italy. It offers a wide range of plans that cover device protection, data restoration and technical support.

• Replacement services: Assurant offers replacement in the event of loss, theft, accidental damage or mechanical breakdown. These services are especially useful if your mobile device’s warranty has expired.

• Pocket Geek: Select Assurant policies include Pocket Geek, an app for your mobile phone which allows you to troubleshoot, monitor device performance and even wipe the device in case of theft.

• Lookout Mobile Security: Assurant pairs with Lookout Mobile Security, which protects your phone from outside threats like malware and spyware.

• Data protection: Assurant allows you to backup 100 GB of data, allowing you access to your important information even in the event of theft or loss.

• Global provider options: Assurant pairs with U.S. Cellular, T-Mobile and Bluegrass Cellular in the United States, Claro Up in Brazil, Movistar in Argentina, TIM in Italy and T-Mobile in Puerto Rico.

• Best for: mobile phone owners with expired warranties.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Assurant Phone Insurance Company Information