3.4/5 (4788 ratings)

About Assurant Phone Insurance

Assurant is a phone insurance company that provides damage coverage plans. Assurant’s insurance plans are available through several cell phone providers, with costs depending on your mobile carrier’s rates.

Top Assurant Phone Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My experience was great, the process was seamless without any issues. I processed the request online and the system was user friendly. I received my package in a timely manner and...

Verified

Excellent customer service! Listened carefully to my concerns. Willing to help me and did so expeditiously! I was very pleased with the customer representative and decided to rema...

What is Assurant Phone Insurance?

Assurant Phone Insurance helps customers protect their cell phones. A manufacturer’s warranty usually only covers hardware malfunctions and manufacturer defects, and they typically only last for the first year of your device’s life. If anything happens outside of those issues or that time frame, your warranty won’t help you.

Assurant offers protection plans that cover a variety of potential situations. This includes incidents like theft or loss, issues like water damage or cracks and hardware issues. This coverage provides financial protection if something happens to your phone, which is crucial as cellphones become more expensive.

Assurant is not available to purchase on its own. The company’s insurance plans are only available through the mobile carriers it’s partnered with. Contact your provider to ask about availability and learn about plans and pricing.

Assurant plans

Nearly a dozen carriers work with Assurant, and each has its own Assurant plans and offerings. For example, Xfinity has one plan for iPhone users and another for Android users. T-Mobile, on the other hand, has basic and 360-degree plans that cover both iPhone and Android.

A basic plan covers hardware issues once the manufacturer warranty expires. It also covers accidental damage, loss or theft. Some providers may require a deductible or service fee for specific repairs. Advanced coverage includes AppleCare services (for Apple devices) and tech support, such as Tech PHD or Pocket Geek.

To know exactly what Assurant plans are available to you, contact your mobile carrier or check its Assurant brochure.

Assurant prices

As with the plans that Assurant offers, your insurance cost varies depending on your mobile carrier. Some carriers offer several tiers with a variety of deductibles, while others have a single cost. There are many affordable options for those who want to save and higher-priced options for those who want the best coverage for their devices. Here are some example per-month costs:

• Metro by T-Mobile: $6
  • Bluegrass Cellular: $7.99 to $9.99
  • Spectrum Mobile: $7 to $18
  • Xfinity: $7 to $15
  • T-Mobile: $7 to $25
  • U.S. Cellular: $9.99 to $11.99

Check your provider’s Assurant brochure to see which plans it offers.

Assurant Phone Insurance FAQ

What does Assurant cover?
Assurant covers a variety of issues that aren’t included in your manufacturer’s warranty. These include theft, spills, loss and general malfunction. It also covers device hardware after your manufacturer’s warranty expires.
Does Assurant cover cracked screens?
Assurant may cover a cracked screen if your package includes accidental damage coverage, but there’s usually an extra service fee.
How long does it take Assurant to process a claim?
Customer reviews generally mention a fast claims process with Assurant. Many reviews state claims take 24 hours or less to process.
Does Assurant give new phones?
Assurant doesn’t give new phones as a replacement, usually. It offers customers refurbished phones of similar quality. If there is no refurbished phone available, then Assurant provides a new phone of similar quality. All replacement phones come with a six-month warranty.

Is Assurant legit?

Assurant is a good option for phone insurance. Since Assurant is only available through your phone carrier, your cost and coverage depend largely on your provider. With that said, most carriers have affordable options for phone protection. If you’d rather not risk losing or damaging your phone, Assurant is a good safety net to have.

Assurant Phone Insurance Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2017

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Phone Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

Dear Customer Affairs, I am just now getting around to returning these devices as I have been traveling the last 4 months with my Job. Now that I’ve had a chance to catch up, I noticed that I had already been charged for the unreturned devices. This has caused a financial hardship on my family as I had to figure out how to pay almost $1000 to keep my service from being interrupted. I currently have 10 devices through T-Mobile. Add that to the $500 extra charged to my account by Assurant and now I’m faced with the burden of how to bounce back from the loss of Income due to Covid and now the extra for cell service. It’s been a slow return to work as I am contract labor but things are getting better.

I would greatly appreciate you reconsidering my situation and add a credit to my account with T-Mobile to help us maintain service and the ability to follow up on leads for employment. If this is not possible then please send back the devices that have already been paid for to the address below and I will figure out another way to recoup the $200 deductible and the $500 device fee.

Sincerely yours,

Brian

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Brian - We are sorry to hear about your experience. If you still need assistance, please respond to the private message we sent you.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2021

Assurant helped me with getting a new phone due to my phone being damaged when it was dropped. I am very happy about that, but because I used the insurance twice to get replacement phones for two phones that were damaged, Assurant cancelled my insurance which I paid for consistently since I became a customer of Metro and I do not have insurance on my new phone. So if anything happens to this phone, I will need to pay to get another phone either full price or the upgraded price. I am being punished for using the insurance I paid for.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Victoria, happy to hear we were able to assist you with a replacement. A private message was sent to you with further details.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I have used Assurant many times and have been completely happy with their replacement services. The turnaround to receive new equipment is amazing, their customer service is helpful and the process as a whole is just excellent. With that said... my latest return has left me a little upset. It may seem sorta petty but for me it really didn't sit well. I finally bought a phone without having to make payments on it!! An expensive phone direct from Samsung and wouldn't even use it until insuring it through my carrier. I had meticulously cared for my phone with protective screen cover and case until one morning last week I woke up to a crack in my screen. (I still do not have an answer from my family on how it happened while I was sleeping.) No biggie, right? I have insurance.

I used my insurance to get a replacement for my device and everything went so smooth as always. Except one minor thing that normally wouldn't be a big deal but was for me because I actually bought and paid for a phone for once. They sent me a replacement in BLACK!! I know. Ridiculous. But I spent a lot of money on a pink phone. :-( I made that choice to be a little crazy with my phone for once and I was soo proud I was not making payments on a phone. So to be sent a black phone as replacement for a pink one really upset me. I called Assurant already knowing what their response to this would be. No guarantee for same color replacement. :-( I called my carrier and they sympathized enough with me to offer to try and trade the phone in for the same model in the pink I had originally chosen.

Unfortunately since it is not the newest model, they did not have it available. My carrier did then offer to trade the phone for a newer model in a variety of new color choices. (Great upsell moment, I know LOL) Since I paid for the phone in full, it will be an even trade so I guess at the end of all this there is some resolution.

That is all. I am still happy with the service, the speed, the pricing, etc. But perhaps in the future, if someone has a colored phone... Replace their phone with the same color or warn them first. It was just such a huge disappointment. Thanks.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Amanda - We always try to match the color. However, the terms and conditions do state color is not guaranteed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Assurant mobile device insurance seems to be an okay service so far. I give 4 stars in comparison to most other corrupt insurance companies. This is the first time I had to use the insurance and my replacement phone was delivered the next day. It was thought to have been the charging port on the phone that was damaged. It was the charger. I called to tell them what the real problem was and was told all I have to do is ship the replacement device back and they'll refund the deductible. That's in process now as I'm writing this review. The reason I didn't give 5 stars is because the deductible should be lower and the replacement phones should be new phones, not reconditioned phones. The insurance premium and deductible customers pay covers more than the cost of a new phone. We're being cheated out of the premium money we pay each month if the replacement phones we get when we need to use the insurance are used reconditioned phones.

That's typical of insurance companies wanting to do all they can to limit the amount of the customer's money they actually spend on the customer to use their own insurance. They want to keep as much of that money as they can. That's why they put such extreme limitations on what is covered under the insurance. Too bad the USA is built on such greed. No other developed country treats their citizens as badly as the United States.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The deductible amount is dependent on your phone's make and model. Without the coverage, you would have to pay the full retail price to replace your phone. We cover the majority of the cost of the replacement device, and the deductible would be your portion. We apologize if you were not informed that the replacement device may be refurbished. The full details of the coverage are located within your terms and conditions.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

The customer service representative was great! She guided me right through the process. It was short, sweet and to the point. I did get aggravated at first because when I originally filed the claim somebody had stolen not only my phone but wallet also which had my ID in it. So I could not complete the process until I had my id. I also had another Metro phone that was not being used at the time that I was going to get my number switched over to but I had the same problem. The ID issue. I couldn't switch service to another phone without my id. So I stewed on this for days. Angry at metro, Assurant, the world and God! But then God I guess told me to calm down because a few days later, by His Grace, someone returned my wallet to my mailbox. And my ID was there with it! Praise God!

At this point I was over my month plan so the phone was technically inactive. So when I called and spoke with the woman she told me that everything would be fine and she would help me get back to where I needed to be. At first I was very angry about not allowing me to pay for the deductible without having to show an id. But now I realize that it is a very safe, smart and secure guideline and procedure that is put there to protect us period even though it was holding me up and really making me sweat and struggle there for a minute, it is a necessary safety precaution. It is put there to protect us from anyone who may want to try and fraudulently make a claim or yada yada yada.

So I am, now that I have my id, lol, glad that it is placed in there. So once the ID was in place I called back, typed in my debit card number and then waited. It seemed my claim was hung up somewhere so I made a quick call back to customer service. Talk to a sweet young lady from Texas who was so very nice, intuitive and knowledgeable. Not to mention she had a thick Texas straw and a great sense of humor lol. Very personable. I asked her what the holdup was and it turned out it was my address. She narrowed it right down to that and we troubleshooted through it to figure out why it wasn't being verified and it only took not even a minute and got the verification! That was late afternoon and wouldn't you know early afternoon the next day I received my phone! I know this was long but I had to give you the full scoop. Thank you so much!

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for the great feedback. We try really hard to provide a good and secure experience. One of our main goals is consumer security and fraud prevention. We are really happy to hear that you appreciate the process.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

It was difficult setting my phone. Transferring fr0m a RIVVAL to a Samsung Galaxy is somewhat confusing. Trying to restore my apps. Have so many apps. Wondering which is the same or comparable.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We're sorry to hear you were having issues setting your device, Rosa. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Used online website to replace phone but was very smooth and user friendly. Was easy to check back in and follow up with the entire time, knew exactly why was happening and that made the entire issue easy and transparent and would recommend to anyone.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding our online process, Jamie! We're happy to hear everything was user-friendly.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Great Service. Very helpful and extremely patient with me, was able to answer all my concerns and questions. Was very appreciated of my 20 year of service. They talked me carefully since I was upset about my the lost of my cell phone.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Terry - Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We're happy to hear everything went smoothly.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Polite and understanding. Had a phone within a week. I would recommend your company anytime. Thank you. Hopefully he takes better care of his phone. I had to call the help center to get the new one to work and they were very helpful with that also.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We appreciate the update, Dolores! We're glad everything was resolved, thanks for sharing.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Returned damaged phone back within ten days and keep getting letters about Assurant not receiving damaged phone and wanting to bill me. When I have called twice, have been told by Jose and Marcus, that phone did arrive at warehouse but hasn't been "processed".

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Our apologies for the issue you're encountering. Please check your private messages, as we'd like to acquire further information.

Assurant Phone Insurance Company Information