3.4/5 (5306 ratings)

About Assurant Phone Insurance

Assurant is a phone insurance company that provides damage coverage plans. Assurant’s insurance plans are available through several cell phone providers, with costs depending on your mobile carrier’s rates.

Top Assurant Phone Insurance Reviews

Verified

My experience was great, the process was seamless without any issues. I processed the request online and the system was user friendly. I received my package in a timely manner and...

Verified

Excellent customer service! Listened carefully to my concerns. Willing to help me and did so expeditiously! I was very pleased with the customer representative and decided to rema...

What is Assurant Phone Insurance?

Assurant Phone Insurance helps customers protect their cell phones. A manufacturer’s warranty usually only covers hardware malfunctions and manufacturer defects, and they typically only last for the first year of your device’s life. If anything happens outside of those issues or that time frame, your warranty won’t help you.

Assurant offers protection plans that cover a variety of potential situations. This includes incidents like theft or loss, issues like water damage or cracks and hardware issues. This coverage provides financial protection if something happens to your phone, which is crucial as cellphones become more expensive.

Assurant is not available to purchase on its own. The company’s insurance plans are only available through the mobile carriers it’s partnered with. Contact your provider to ask about availability and learn about plans and pricing.

Assurant plans

Nearly a dozen carriers work with Assurant, and each has its own Assurant plans and offerings. For example, Xfinity has one plan for iPhone users and another for Android users. T-Mobile, on the other hand, has basic and 360-degree plans that cover both iPhone and Android.

A basic plan covers hardware issues once the manufacturer warranty expires. It also covers accidental damage, loss or theft. Some providers may require a deductible or service fee for specific repairs. Advanced coverage includes AppleCare services (for Apple devices) and tech support, such as Tech PHD or Pocket Geek.

To know exactly what Assurant plans are available to you, contact your mobile carrier or check its Assurant brochure.

Assurant prices

As with the plans that Assurant offers, your insurance cost varies depending on your mobile carrier. Some carriers offer several tiers with a variety of deductibles, while others have a single cost. There are many affordable options for those who want to save and higher-priced options for those who want the best coverage for their devices. Here are some example per-month costs:

• Metro by T-Mobile: $6
  • Bluegrass Cellular: $7.99 to $9.99
  • Spectrum Mobile: $7 to $18
  • Xfinity: $7 to $15
  • T-Mobile: $7 to $25
  • U.S. Cellular: $9.99 to $11.99

Check your provider’s Assurant brochure to see which plans it offers.

Assurant Phone Insurance FAQ

What does Assurant cover?
Assurant covers a variety of issues that aren’t included in your manufacturer’s warranty. These include theft, spills, loss and general malfunction. It also covers device hardware after your manufacturer’s warranty expires.
Does Assurant cover cracked screens?
Assurant may cover a cracked screen if your package includes accidental damage coverage, but there’s usually an extra service fee.
How long does it take Assurant to process a claim?
Customer reviews generally mention a fast claims process with Assurant. Many reviews state claims take 24 hours or less to process.
Does Assurant give new phones?
Assurant doesn’t give new phones as a replacement, usually. It offers customers refurbished phones of similar quality. If there is no refurbished phone available, then Assurant provides a new phone of similar quality. All replacement phones come with a six-month warranty.

Is Assurant legit?

Assurant is a good option for phone insurance. Since Assurant is only available through your phone carrier, your cost and coverage depend largely on your provider. With that said, most carriers have affordable options for phone protection. If you’d rather not risk losing or damaging your phone, Assurant is a good safety net to have.

Assurant Phone Insurance Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2017

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Phone Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I have used Assurant many times and have been completely happy with their replacement services. The turnaround to receive new equipment is amazing, their customer service is helpful and the process as a whole is just excellent. With that said... my latest return has left me a little upset. It may seem sorta petty but for me it really didn't sit well. I finally bought a phone without having to make payments on it!! An expensive phone direct from Samsung and wouldn't even use it until insuring it through my carrier. I had meticulously cared for my phone with protective screen cover and case until one morning last week I woke up to a crack in my screen. (I still do not have an answer from my family on how it happened while I was sleeping.) No biggie, right? I have insurance.

I used my insurance to get a replacement for my device and everything went so smooth as always. Except one minor thing that normally wouldn't be a big deal but was for me because I actually bought and paid for a phone for once. They sent me a replacement in BLACK!! I know. Ridiculous. But I spent a lot of money on a pink phone. :-( I made that choice to be a little crazy with my phone for once and I was soo proud I was not making payments on a phone. So to be sent a black phone as replacement for a pink one really upset me. I called Assurant already knowing what their response to this would be. No guarantee for same color replacement. :-( I called my carrier and they sympathized enough with me to offer to try and trade the phone in for the same model in the pink I had originally chosen.

Unfortunately since it is not the newest model, they did not have it available. My carrier did then offer to trade the phone for a newer model in a variety of new color choices. (Great upsell moment, I know LOL) Since I paid for the phone in full, it will be an even trade so I guess at the end of all this there is some resolution.

That is all. I am still happy with the service, the speed, the pricing, etc. But perhaps in the future, if someone has a colored phone... Replace their phone with the same color or warn them first. It was just such a huge disappointment. Thanks.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Amanda - We always try to match the color. However, the terms and conditions do state color is not guaranteed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Assurant mobile device insurance seems to be an okay service so far. I give 4 stars in comparison to most other corrupt insurance companies. This is the first time I had to use the insurance and my replacement phone was delivered the next day. It was thought to have been the charging port on the phone that was damaged. It was the charger. I called to tell them what the real problem was and was told all I have to do is ship the replacement device back and they'll refund the deductible. That's in process now as I'm writing this review. The reason I didn't give 5 stars is because the deductible should be lower and the replacement phones should be new phones, not reconditioned phones. The insurance premium and deductible customers pay covers more than the cost of a new phone. We're being cheated out of the premium money we pay each month if the replacement phones we get when we need to use the insurance are used reconditioned phones.

That's typical of insurance companies wanting to do all they can to limit the amount of the customer's money they actually spend on the customer to use their own insurance. They want to keep as much of that money as they can. That's why they put such extreme limitations on what is covered under the insurance. Too bad the USA is built on such greed. No other developed country treats their citizens as badly as the United States.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The deductible amount is dependent on your phone's make and model. Without the coverage, you would have to pay the full retail price to replace your phone. We cover the majority of the cost of the replacement device, and the deductible would be your portion. We apologize if you were not informed that the replacement device may be refurbished. The full details of the coverage are located within your terms and conditions.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

The customer service representative was great! She guided me right through the process. It was short, sweet and to the point. I did get aggravated at first because when I originally filed the claim somebody had stolen not only my phone but wallet also which had my ID in it. So I could not complete the process until I had my id. I also had another Metro phone that was not being used at the time that I was going to get my number switched over to but I had the same problem. The ID issue. I couldn't switch service to another phone without my id. So I stewed on this for days. Angry at metro, Assurant, the world and God! But then God I guess told me to calm down because a few days later, by His Grace, someone returned my wallet to my mailbox. And my ID was there with it! Praise God!

At this point I was over my month plan so the phone was technically inactive. So when I called and spoke with the woman she told me that everything would be fine and she would help me get back to where I needed to be. At first I was very angry about not allowing me to pay for the deductible without having to show an id. But now I realize that it is a very safe, smart and secure guideline and procedure that is put there to protect us period even though it was holding me up and really making me sweat and struggle there for a minute, it is a necessary safety precaution. It is put there to protect us from anyone who may want to try and fraudulently make a claim or yada yada yada.

So I am, now that I have my id, lol, glad that it is placed in there. So once the ID was in place I called back, typed in my debit card number and then waited. It seemed my claim was hung up somewhere so I made a quick call back to customer service. Talk to a sweet young lady from Texas who was so very nice, intuitive and knowledgeable. Not to mention she had a thick Texas straw and a great sense of humor lol. Very personable. I asked her what the holdup was and it turned out it was my address. She narrowed it right down to that and we troubleshooted through it to figure out why it wasn't being verified and it only took not even a minute and got the verification! That was late afternoon and wouldn't you know early afternoon the next day I received my phone! I know this was long but I had to give you the full scoop. Thank you so much!

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for the great feedback. We try really hard to provide a good and secure experience. One of our main goals is consumer security and fraud prevention. We are really happy to hear that you appreciate the process.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

So my phone was stolen on a Saturday night around 11 pm in downtown Dallas when I was alone...no bueno. After finally finding my way back to my hotel, which is normally 35 minutes away but magically transformed into a 2 hour drive filled with me crying as I was 100% dependent on my phone's GPS, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to file a claim (though halfway through the process the site went through a scheduled maintenance, not their fault but still an inconvenience nonetheless). I knew that placing a claim early Sunday morning would probably delay the arrival time of my device, and I ended up receiving it the following Wednesday.

As for the device itself- it was in very good condition like my original was. However, bear with me as I try to explain this next part: I was under the impression that any accessory included in the original purchase that was stolen with the phone in the same incident would also be covered, but after careful reading (of what I consider poor semantics) of the legal certificate, it turns out that a phone case is not "included with the original purchase of the technology including the standard battery (when involved in the technology's loss), standard home charger, and standard SIM card for LTE replacement equipment," even though the phone case could be purchased in the same transaction as "the purchase of the original technology."

Since there was no limiting modifier (i.e. "included with the original purchase of the technology 'only' including the…) with regards to what was included in the insurance of the original purchase of the technology, I was led to believe, and even encouraged by a staff member when originally purchasing the device and insurance, that my understanding of the phone and attached phone case being covered in the event of loss/theft was correct, which was a motivating factor in my original purchase of a higher-end $60 OtterBox case.

That's a bummer, and normally I would accept how I probably misinterpreted the terms and conditions as I've only taken a few Business Law classes as an undergraduate pursuing a degree, but after feeling like the salesperson (it is the same female every time) hits me with fees that I do not think I should owe when reactivating my replacement, I get a little angry. Not specifically at her, as she is doing her job, but at the system in general.

The following frustration is mainly directed at Metro by T-Mobile, and I'm sorry for spelling it out here, but I had to go in-store and pay a total of $42.76 to get my phone back to a sub-par operating state as compared to the operating state it was at just after its original purchase. The $42.76 bill consisted of what I assume to be the charge for the activation of the SIM card dubbed "Feature Change" on the receipt ($22.73) and the cheapest phone case they had ($18.50 after a gracious $1.49 store discount).

Now I know this next part will probably make me look like the worst person ever (if you haven't already come to that conclusion already), but is it wrong of me to think that the store could "throw me a bone" and gift a phone case or waive the SIM fee after years of being a loyal customer and being up-sold with things that the store employees probably knew I had no interest in buying but would nevertheless promote as if it was in my best interest to buy?

I go on this rant to make a point that paying $72 a year to insure my phone ($36 may be a more accurate figure considering the other protection software provided) and not even being entertained with the idea that a cheaper phone case be comped for me is very disheartening, especially since I was not corrected by an employee when I misunderstood the terms of the insurance and what was covered. I am sorry to come off as entitled and insane, but all together the total to get a replacement came to ($200 deductible + $45 insurance payment) $3/month *15 months of insurance on device before filing a claim ($90 if you consider how I was upsold the security), and $42.76 for having to get a new sim activated and an uncovered case, not to mention lost service time of $8.80 brings the total paid in money equaling $296.56 (or $341.56).

I could get a "refurbished-like new" version online for around $319, and it would come with a case and charger and screen protector. I get that I chose to get service from Metro and by default, Assurant, but does loyalty mean nothing anymore? I have been in a restaurant manager position before, and that job taught me that sometimes it is okay to give those who spend their time and money with your company some light of day with regards to a dispute on pricing, even if it was their fault that they (in this case) let their phone get stolen (or rather the fault of a bad character preying on someone).

I doubt that y'all even care that I wrote this out, and you'll probably tell me to take it up with my carrier, but as a partner with my carrier I just thought I should include this story in the review. As an insurance company, y'all were awesome and very fast, and I am very appreciative of that fact. I just wish Metro was more forthcoming at explaining terms and open to correcting misunderstandings. Thank you for reading this. As you can probably guess, I just lost my job due to COVID-19 putting my employer out of business and have too much free time on my hands.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Matthew, we apologize you were not informed that a case would not be included with the replacement device. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to hear you had an awesome and fast claim process.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I'm so thankful I have insurance. I have not been lucky with my Note 8 and have had it warranty replaced several times. The issues I had with previous phones are stop working in Gear VR, glitchy screen and charging cord easily falls out. The last time was the first time screen cracked in three years. My phone fell out of bike phone holder. I was super excited when I opened up replacement phone for my broken Samsung Galaxy Note 8 64GB and found a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 256GB in the package.

As soon as I took phone out, I was welcomed with some disappointment. I did not like the hole punch in the screen. I find it distracting. When you go into full screen in apps like YouTube and Disney + the hole punch is distracting. For YouTubers like MKBHD part of the hole punch is seen even when not in full screen. Netflix and Hulu designed app not to go in hole punch area, so kudos to them for that.

When I went to install new sim card I was disappointing that there was no slot for a MicroSD card. My 256GB MicroSD cards are useless now. At least Note 10 has 256GB memory on board. Note 10 has a lower max resolution of 2280 x 1080 pixels vs. Note 8 2960 x 1440 pixels. My Gear VR is useless now since it does not work with Note 10. I used to love using it to watch movies in virtual movie theaters. The apps I purchased on it can't be used too. I need a new phone case.

With all those cons, I'm still happy with phone upgrade. Amoled screen looks beautiful on Note 10 and looks better side by side with Note 8. The screen to body ration on the phone is really nice and has impressed people that have seen it. I love the wider camera on the phone. I no longer need to step back to fit an object or people in a photo. If you have a kid you'll be thankful to have it too. I know so many people with kids that cracked their phone or their parents phones. Thank you Assurant. I highly recommend getting insurance on your expensive smart phone. If they no longer make your phone, you might get a free upgrade. Or is it downgrade?

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for the 5-star rating! Happy we were able to help.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I was told my T-mobile on a Monday my phone would arrive on Thursday, I was very surprised to see it arrive on Tuesday. I have had everything taken care since I got it and nice to have a phone that charges now! Thank You.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Janet - We are thrilled to hear you are pleased with the experience!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 13, 2021

Assurant has not replied to the claim filed April 19. The assistance chat link collects my information and then just spins saying, "Your position in queue is #1." This is a really unacceptable level of service.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Paul - Sorry to hear about your feedback. We would like the opportunity to investigate your case further. We reached out to you privately via this site to gather a few more details.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I submitted a claim and everything was handled very fast. The process was easy. I would tell others not to worry doing so. They provided an self labeled and postage free envelope for the damaged phone to be returned.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Robert - We are so happy to hear about your great experience! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: May 13, 2021

I literally received my phone within 24 hours of putting my claim in. As soon as the phone arrived I brought an outer box and a screen protector. 4 days later I haven't even got a chance to drop the phone, and it coped out. At first I just assume the phone was dead. Try to charge it. After an half an hour I notice it was not even charging. My question is are replacement phones refurbished phones because the inconvenience is real. This whole process is really time consuming.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We are sorry to hear about your feedback. Please send us a private message with your contact and claim number.

Original review: May 13, 2021

Assurant made my insurance claim super easy. I went online on a Wednesday evening and filled out the insurance form, and was notified immediately that my claim was accepted. The replacement phone was shipped out Thursday morning and in my hands Friday afternoon. If you’re paying good money for a phone, the Assurant insurance program is well worth the money for protection.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for the kind words and sharing your experience with us.

Assurant Phone Insurance Company Information