1.42/5

311 Assurant Phone Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

After purchasing a phone and protection plan through T-Mobile, Assurant changed coverage amounts and deductibles, not abiding by the agreements at time of purchase. This is just a bait and switch scam. The phone I purchased was, and still is valued at $350. According to the Tier structure published by Assurant, that makes my phone a Tier 2, $50 deductible and $9/mo premium. I have been paying the $9 premium, but when filing a claim my phone is suddenly considered a Tier 3 phone, with a $100 deductible. Last time I checked, the definition of bait and switch is as follows: "the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods." This review strictly considers the customer relations of Assurant alone, and is not a reflection of my dealings with T-Mobile.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I lost my iPhone XS Max and quickly received a replacement. The replacement looked brand new, straight out of the box and same color. I had no issues with them and when I called I received top notch customer service. The other negative reviewers on this site probably went against their policy, which led them to have a bad experience. This company isn’t a scam and they do keep their word. Thanks Assurant.

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Lost my phone, claimed it, got a refurbished phone (mine was brand new less than 2 months old). A couple of months later, someone returned my phone. I called and told them that I will send the phone back and expect the deductible back (250 bucks). They said, "No, send the phone back and you don't get nothing." Then they got nasty. I asked them why, they said it's on the policy. I asked for a copy of the policy that was sent to me. They said I need to go online to see it. I asked for the one they sent to me, if they did. Then they passed me on to a different department and I had to leave a massage, no one there. How can they justify recovering their loss by getting the phone back and yet keeping the deductible. Rude people too. Have them on three phones, will drop them tomorrow. Don't waste your time with these people.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I sent in a claim for a replacement phone. According to their website, replacement should be received within 1-2 business days. Phoned on day 3, and the girl said that delays were typical due to stock issues and that I should receive a phone within a few days, and to call back if I hadn't received it within 6 days. Phoned back after 6 days, apparently the address had been inputted incorrectly.

The first idiot inputted the address incorrectly, the second idiot didn't check to see what the issue was, even though the address issue had been flagged by the system when I called and gave me incorrect information (the phone was in stock), and was finally resolved on the 6th day. Incompetent. This is their only job, and they can't get it right. Seriously, how complicated is this?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Filed a claim on a damaged phone and paid 175.00 deductible! Sent damaged phone back immediately and got a tracking number. Got multiple letters saying they have not received so called them but had confirmation of delivery. Person said they had software problems and inventory backed up, but did verify they received my phone and not to worry. They would get the backlog entered. Just got my phone bill and they charged me for phone not being delivered!! Now I have to spend more hours to try to resolve this, just glad I had proof of delivery!! Awful company with no integrity or value of customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Phone Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My story is too long to tell. Took me 6 weeks to get my deductible back after I returned a phone they sent me to replace my daughter's lost phone we filed a claim on. Which was returned by a very nice person the next day. Never opened the phone they sent me and they received it on July 23rd at 8:58 am. I have the FedEx proof. I did not get my deductible back until September 5th!! Her phone was now stolen, and filed a claim on October 3rd 2018, and now they are "reviewing". It has been the "5 day review process" and still nothing. T-Mobile needs to drop these sorry people/company!! People need to know how bad they really are!! Do NOT pay for Assurant insurance!!! They suck!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I dropped my phone and destroyed the screen, so I filed a claim with Assurant which I had paid for over one year. First off, I was charged a 100 dollar deductible... given that the phone cost 250 when I bought it, this seemed steep, but I paid it. One month after I had returned my phone I received a letter stating that I would receive an additional charge if I didn't return the device. Fortunately I had a tracking number and called the company. They confirmed that they did indeed receive the device and I would not be charged further. However, a couple weeks later I again received a letter again threatening charges if I didn't return the device. Called again and confirmed its receipt.

That was in July. Fast forward to October and I have a 138 dollar charge on my T-Mobile bill because they supposedly don't have the device. I called their customer service for the third time and when I confronted them about this scam they are running the customer service rep became VERY rude. They said they would refund this fraudulent charge... remains to be seen. They have currently charged me more than the cost of the phone, sent me a poor quality replacement (some refurbished phone with sticky buttons) and have horrible service with fraudulent charges. If I could give a negative rating I would. They are the worst experience I have ever had with a company, hands down.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Never really had any problems with insurance companies. The people who answer the phones can't really do anything. As in they are not privileged to. Filed on the 16th. They denied my ID. Nothing wrong with it. Filed it again on the 19th. Called on the 24th. They were told they just got the claim... And have no access to do anything with it. Assurant can go screw itself.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I had called customer only because I have been paying for insurance I have never used. I wanted to know how it works or how can I benefit for something I been paying for the past 2 1/2 years and they get upset? Why? I mean they are getting pay to do a job! Worse customer service ever. Sorry but they need to hire people that care because we as a customer are paying for service.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

You are probably are reading this because your claim was DENIED by Assurant. I like others here were denied claims due to their rules were not followed (even though they are not mentioned in the policy). Please do your homework before you purchase this plan for $12.00 monthly. My claim was denied because I didnt file it in a timely manner and I had removed the SIM card and placed it in a spare iPhone that was working. So, I have wasted all the premium payments of over 2 years for this BS excuse not to cover a claim. They will find any excuse to deny your claim request.

Read the other consumer reviews and see for yourself all the negative feedback (about 99.1 percent). There needs to be a class action lawsuit filed against this company. So many consumers have been ripped off by them. They don't even deserve a 1 star rating. It should be a 0. T-Mobile needs to drop this third party insurer before it hurts their reputation. I don't see how they get away with this SCAM!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Broke my S8+, had insurance, filed a claim. THEY SENT MY PHONE TO THE WRONG ADDRESS... WHICH DOESN'T EXIST. I figured it out before USPS sent it back (it was a huge hassle). 1 week later it broke!! But they don't deal with twice broken phones they say!! But they were sooo kind in giving me T-Mobile's generic phone number so I could take it up with them... ** Assurant.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I broke my brand new Galaxy S9 phone screen. I filed a claim on the 8/18/2018. I’ve had to call and follow up every day. They gave me a runaround every phone call. They didn’t bother to call or email any follow-up info. They needed the original receipt so provided it, 3 times. They needed the IMEI number of my Xfinity mobile app. They already had the number but they needed to know if I knew the number. All that still wasn’t good enough. It’s now 9/4/2018. I still have no phone and no answer. I am beyond frustrated with this company. I spoke to another woman this morning and she actually ignored my complaints and started laughing at someone in the background. Completely unprofessional. I have service through Comcast which I will be canceling because of this Assurant company.

Resolution response: Sept. 5, 2018

A very helpful agent named Shelly called to tell me that my phone was indeed under warranty and I had received faulty information in that regard. I am still not happy that I have to use the warranty as I'd much prefer to have the phone working properly to begin with, but I will say that Assurant was on top of social media complaints. I got a call back within an hour. So as far as working with the company to get this resolved, I'll update to 4- stars.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Assurant "insurance" is a scam. I bought "insurance" on my Galaxy Note 4 through T-Mobile. I paid on it long past the time my phone was paid off because it's not like anyone at T-Mobile or Assurant says, "Hey did you realize that you're wasting your money by continuing to pay for this?" Regardless, my Note 4 died and I called Assurant to replace my phone. I paid $175 (deductible) for a refurbished Note 5 (which, btw, NEW costs $150). So my $150 Note 5 has cost me about $600 at this point. Inside my packaging I received a little card that said I had a 180-day warranty on the phone. So I wasn't too worried, thinking that if the phone was crap, at least I'd have 6 months to return/replace it.

About a month to two months in, the battery started dying much too quickly. So I call Assurant, thinking they'd be able to replace the piece of crap refurbished phone they sent me - or at the VERY least replace the battery. I went through the whole phone process - until at the very end they asked how I'd like to pay for the $175 deductible! They literally told me I'd have to pay ANOTHER $175 to replace it (most likely with another piece of crap refurbished phone). They told me that they could only have replaced the other one within 7 days of my having received it.

So let me get this straight, you are sending me a refurbished phone that you only guarantee will work for ONE WEEK?!?! The customer service agent told me I could talk to T-Mobile about it. When I spoke to T-Mobile, they didn't know why the 180-day warranty card was even in the packaging because Assurant doesn't warranty the replacement phone. So now I've paid hundreds of dollars for literally nothing. Assurant is a scam company and I will write reviews everywhere I can telling everyone I can not to waste their money.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

My iPhone 8 Plus screen broke, completely unresponsive, called T-Mobile and they provided the phone # for Assurant. Called them, they took my claim and three days latter I found out that the claim was denied due to the SIM card being removed from the phone to use it in another one during the process. My phone is my work tool. Called T-Mobile and they just washed their hands. Stuck with a broken iPhone 8 Plus and no replacement. This company is a SCAM, stay away.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I have a $300 (not so expensive) HTC phone that was damaged when I dropped it. I pay for insurance and have had T-Mobile phone service for ten plus years. I went through the steps for a replacement phone and the process should be a lot faster being that I need my phone. It took several days to receive the replacement because no products are shipped over the weekends. When the replacement came it was damaged and I had to send the replacement phone back leaving me several more days without a phone Grrrrr...

Then I'm getting letters that my original phone has not been sent back and I could be charged for the total cost of the phone. I call and tell them both phones the damaged replacement and my original phone that was broke were both sent back. They did not see one being checked in. After time spent on the phone informing them both phone were sent it was later determined that I was not trying to keep a broken phone and had sent it back. This whole experience was a joke. Very disappointed in the service. It would be better to exchange the phone in the store, given a replacement phone on sight and have the store deal with you people! Two thumbs DOWN!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

My son leased an LG K20 from T-Mobile, it's not a very expensive phone. When he stepped out of a vehicle it fell out of his pocket and was ran over by a truck. The front cover of the phone shattered and the battery was bent. He put in a claim, received the new phone. He received the return addressed package and put the back piece and battery inside. He took it to the post office and sent it. I received a letter later saying the phone had not been returned and I would be charged if not returned. I called and was told that the phone was showing up as being received. About a week later I received another letter saying it was not received. Now I am confused and a little angry.

I called back and was told the package came in empty. I could not understand why someone would even send an empty package, especially through the post office. How do you prove you sent a phone in. The phone was totally destroyed and no reason to keep it. Is the warehouse going be the final authority for this, are we going to lose every time this happens. My son was going to return the new phone to T-Mobile to keep me from paying for 2 phones but could not do that either, I guess it's a lose-lose situation. I found out they don't even sell the K20 in the store. Maybe they are trying to make money from overstocked phones, who knows.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

If I can give 0 stars I would... I had to activate an older phone on my line after my phone fell and the screen broke. I travel a lot for work and had no time to actually file a claim with them. When filing the claim I gave them a date that I thought was more or less correct about when the phone broke. During their checking process with T-Mobile they saw that the last date that the phone was on the line was about 2 weeks earlier than the date I gave them of when the phone was actually broken. Because of this they do not want to cover the phone and said that "Sorry but the coverage only covers the phone that is on the line."

I have the broken phone sitting on my desk... This is totally unbelievable, after paying for this coverage for over 3 years I was not able to get coverage because I was off by a few days? That is so unfair... And since the IMEI number on the phone is already associated with a claim I Cannot even file another one. UNREAL. Do not waste your money on this scam company. If there is a way for them to not help they will find a way. NEVER AGAIN AM I PURCHASING THIS COVERAGE AND HAVE ALREADY REMOVED IT OFF MY LINE.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

My claim was approved quickly and within four days of filing the claim, it had been accepted and I had my replacement phone in my hands. When I sent my damaged device back, I did not expect for them to not quickly acknowledge that it had been returned. I then started looking up experiences with Assurant and quickly became worried that I was going to be charged for a phone I returned because I didn't actually hand the package to a worker at the post office, take video of me sending it, or pay to have FedEx ship it with tracking. It has been almost a month since I sent my phone back and luckily I woke up to an email this morning saying that they have received my defective device! In the future I definitely will go down avenues that give me more security in proving that I returned a phone should they ever say I didn't.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Got this protection from Costco for a S8 and my screen cracked. Called them and was informed it would be a refurbished phone. On purchase of the protection, the rep told me it would be a new device and it is possible that it was to entice me to get the protection; so no qualms with this company there and the important thing for me was to get a replacement phone quickly. The transaction was smooth and received a replacement phone in the next two days; $80 for the transaction and I was up and running again. Two months later my front camera got water droplets making it and the iris unlocking unusable. The phone is supposed to be water resistant. It's been under the rain multiple times; not submerged. So I called about the defective unit and was told I need to pay another fee for the replacement and they don't cover the fact that I was sent a defective unit to start with. My advice? Their protection is not worth it for what you get.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Filed a claim for a broken phone. The new phone came in and I dropped the old phone in the package Assurant provided at the post office. For whatever reason, the phone never made it to them and there is no sign of it ever being scanned at the post office (went back and forth with USPS, but it is basically gone). So, I have a charge of $900 to pay now. I offered to send the current phone (the new one Assurant sent), but that is apparently not acceptable to them. They really want the old broken phone or $900. No help at all and no attempt to make it work.

Please stay away from this company if you care for your sanity, time and money, or make sure you ship priority even if it means you pay more for shipping. The provided package is the cheapest and least secure. T-Mobile should do a better job of picking the third party companies that it works with especially when it has its benefits so tightly coupled with theirs. I've been a T-Mobile customer for 10 years and I am seriously considering jumping to a new provider just because of how frustrating this situation has been.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

This has to be the biggest scam ever! You pay them $10 or $15 a month year after year and they treat you horribly. We filed a claim and they sent us back a poorly recondition song. Even a month the phone didn't work. They won't send the phones out in advance, they will only send it after you call them back, sit on hold and give them a tracking number that THEY ISSUED TO YOU! Clearly they do not trust their own customers! In the end I could have bought a brand new phone like the one they replaced with a reconditioned one on eBay for the same price I paid them over 2 or 3 years. Epic waste of money and time! AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE! TOTALLY DISRESPECTFUL OF CUSTOMERS TIME! CHEAPEN TO NOT HAVE INSURANCE!

Original review: July 27, 2018

I was sending a phone back for replacement and called in to make sure the tracking number was on file, as I had just dropped off at FedEx. The guy asked for the password on the account, which I do not have because it is under someone else's account. All I asked was to make sure they saw that it was scanned in. He said he couldn't help me unless I had the password. I was so irate, I hung up. When I got home, I logged right onto FedEx with the tracking number that I tried to give him, and sure enough it popped right up for me. Their customer service absolutely sucks!!!

Original review: July 27, 2018

My experience with Assurant Phone Insurance at T-Mobile was dismal at best. The inconsistency and lack of professionalism among the staff was extremely disappointing. Although the phone that I submitted for a claim had the proper insurance and qualified for a replacement, the staff refused to process the claim. I spoke with several representatives, and they all were very inconsistent, lied, disrespectful and unprofessional. I was very dissatisfied with their service. That company is doing a real disservice to T-Mobile stores, and that is a shame. I do not recommend T-Mobile to my family and friends.

Original review: July 12, 2018

My son, who is a United States Marine, serving our country, broke his phone to the point he is unable to use it. I filed a claim with this insurance to get a new phone in his hands as he has no means of communication without his phone. I have been paying the premium on this insurance for 3 phones for 2 years, this is the first claim I have had. I submitted the claim on Monday, received an email saying that I would be notified as soon as the claim was approved. Tuesday, I had heard nothing so I called customer service and spoke with a rep who told me that they didn't have any replacement devices for my son's type of phone so that it would take 24 hours for them to investigate and see what they have available. I explained that he is in the military and he needs a phone and asked if there was any way to expedite this.

Rep told me nothing she could do and it would have to be 24 hours, so I spoke with a supervisor who told me the same thing. I wait the 24 hours, have still heard nothing so I call back. At this time the rep advises me that it will be another 1-2 business days. I again reiterate that my son has no means of communication and I have been paying for this insurance and need to utilize now. Advised nothing they can do and I just have to wait. I am very disappointed in this service. I've paid for insurance for the last 2 years and when I need to file a claim, I expect it to do what it is in place to do. I do not have $700 to replace his phone with a new one. I paid the $175 deductible and expect that the insurance would replace the phone as they are supposed to. I'm not sure what the point of paying for this insurance is if they cannot replace the phone, that's what it is for. I will most likely cancel this insurance. I'm not paying for a service that does me no good.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Getting through to the customer service took 40 minutes! This kind of hold time means they simply don't care. I was told by the agent that they are "backed up", so they have absolutely no idea of when they might get around to sending a replacement device. Really? The T-Mobile store manager was much more helpful than these guys. I will never rely again on such insurance. Better to pay a little extra and get a brand new phone (of my choosing) than to fool around with these jokers.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Submitted claim for replacement. Received two phones due to duplicate claims submitted. Sent one phone back and was told that I should receive my reimbursement of $175 in 10 days. Still haven't received reimbursement. Now it has been way over 10 days. Still haven't received. Spoke to another representative and was told I should receive it in 24 to 48 hours. Still haven't received reimbursement. Spoke to supervisor. Now I have to wait another 3 to 5 business days. Their website specifically state we provide best-in-class service. I am very dissatisfied.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I paid these people 12 per month for nearly 4 years. If you do the math that is well over $500. When my phone was lost they told me I would have to pay a deductible of $175. Do the math again. This is not worth it unless you file a claim within the first year. I'm either going to another carrier (** T-Mobile!) or cancelling this ** insurance.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Evident by other complaints here, it is highly apparent there is a pattern of abuse here. Like others I filed my claim. Called later to follow up and was told "under review by internal department", Review of what? Response is "once internal has it, we have no idea, continue to check site for updates." Did just that and hours later no response. Called T-Mobile to get them involved. And they too were surprised of the response. Waited till I got home checked site and was told denied. Called cust. service to get regurgitated response of "we don't know, write a letter to corporate for an explanation."

Asked for supervisor and he came on and said same. "This is their policy we cannot change it our hands are tied." So furiously I decided to escalate the issue with T-Mobile. They too again were "surprised" of the lack of information or details as to why it was being denied. T-Mobile went on to say the rep they spoke to was adamant nothing could be done. And they would take care of claim and escalate the issue with executive team. Been a customer for almost two decades so I do believe they will review this further.

This the abuse, and when abuse is intentional (financial gain of not paying claim) it perpetuates a fraud. After escalating it with executive team. Assurant is walking back and now blaming the rep for incorrectly denying for get this "material misrepresentation" completely accusatory without any finding of facts. Worse this alleges wrongdoing such as filing a fraudulent claim. Something I do not take likely.

They claim address they got from T-Mobile is different and it denied it. What was missing was a suite number which they never bothered disclosing or attempted to correct. It was for them a denial based of material misrepresentation with the culpability passed on to the filer. I am filing a complaint with BBB and have already been in contact with the Office of Insurance Regulations for what is clearly a policy created to benefit them. Zero transparency here, how many people don't have the wherewithal to escalate it and find resolve? How many claims do they deny for this very same reason? This must be investigated, I'm ardent in my belief of their intent with such archaic policy or plausible deniability afforded to their call center reps.

Original review: May 31, 2018

This company is a FRAUD and will take your premium $$$... Offering NO customer service or assistance whatsoever! My phone broke (charging issues, volume controls won't work properly, overheating, rebooting for no reason, cracked screen, headphone jack busted) so I took it into T-Mobile who checked my IIME and my account and verified that the phone was covered and would be replaced via Assurant if I filed a claim. I filed the claim then contacted them a week later and was told that my claim was denied, they "did not know why" and to contact T-Mobile for more details.

T-Mobile was stunned, saying they had never heard of a claim being denied for no reason whatsoever. They made a conference call to Assurant who again, said my claim was denied but that they were unable to provide an explanation as to why. 5 days later, my phone completely stopped charging so I filed a new claim, providing the account information that T-Mobile provided (verbatim) so there is NO WAY that the claim could be denied due to an error of account holder information nor any type of clerical error on my part. 24 hours later and again, my claim is denied with ZERO explanation.

So basically, they can't tell me why my claim is denied...just that I spent the last year and a half paying them for NOTHING since they do not care to honor their policy of fixing/repairing a phone that they cover. I should take them to small claims court to sue them for all of the $$$ they have taken from me for paid premiums since they have no intention of making even the smallest attempt to honor customer requests and do what is right by fixing people's broken cell phones!!! Scam artists!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I purchased an iPhone 6s from a T-Mobile store. I was told by the representative who was assisting me that my phone was expensive and therefore I should purchase insurance "For the phone." I took their advice and signed up for insurance to cover the phone. A few years later I chose to use my sister's iPhone 6 and de-activated my iPhone 6s for a period of time, while still paying the insurance premium. I ended up losing my I iPhone6s when it came time to re-activate that particular phone. I contacted the insurance company, put in a claim for the iPhone 6s, they approved it but they sent me an iPhone 6 instead of a 6s. I contacted them to tell them that they must have made a mistake. They responded by saying the insurance I purchased covered "The phone number" and not the phone itself, and since my iPhone 6s was deactivated when I lost it they will not replace my phone.

I explained to the people in the insurance claim department in Albuquerque, New Mexico that in the T-Mobile store what induced me to buy the iPhone 6s was that the T-Mobile representative told me that the insurance covers my phone not my phone number (Who would sell home insurance that covers the address and not the house itself). The representatives in this call center told me that's not how it works, regardless of what they told you in the store, and they refused to help me any further, even though they offered me to send my replacement iPhone 6 back to them for a refund of my insurance deductible of $175 and then be without a phone. Ultimately they pinned their inability to help on Assurant, claiming that they are the ones who ultimately refused to replace my iPhone 6s that I purchased along with insurance.

Assurant Phone Insurance expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Assurant Phone Insurance offers phone and tablet insurance through providers in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Brazil, Argentina and Italy. It offers a wide range of plans that cover device protection, data restoration and technical support.

• Replacement services: Assurant offers replacement in the event of loss, theft, accidental damage or mechanical breakdown. These services are especially useful if your mobile device’s warranty has expired.

• Pocket Geek: Select Assurant policies include Pocket Geek, an app for your mobile phone which allows you to troubleshoot, monitor device performance and even wipe the device in case of theft.

• Lookout Mobile Security: Assurant pairs with Lookout Mobile Security, which protects your phone from outside threats like malware and spyware.

• Data protection: Assurant allows you to backup 100 GB of data, allowing you access to your important information even in the event of theft or loss.

• Global provider options: Assurant pairs with U.S. Cellular, T-Mobile and Bluegrass Cellular in the United States, Claro Up in Brazil, Movistar in Argentina, TIM in Italy and T-Mobile in Puerto Rico.

• Best for: mobile phone owners with expired warranties.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Assurant Phone Insurance Company Information