3.7/5 (2439 ratings)

About Assurant Phone Insurance

Assurant is a phone insurance company that provides damage coverage plans. Assurant’s insurance plans are available through several cell phone providers, with costs depending on your mobile carrier’s rates.

Top Assurant Phone Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My experience was great, the process was seamless without any issues. I processed the request online and the system was user friendly. I received my package in a timely manner and...

Verified

Excellent customer service! Listened carefully to my concerns. Willing to help me and did so expeditiously! I was very pleased with the customer representative and decided to rema...

What is Assurant Phone Insurance?

Assurant Phone Insurance helps customers protect their cell phones. A manufacturer’s warranty usually only covers hardware malfunctions and manufacturer defects, and they typically only last for the first year of your device’s life. If anything happens outside of those issues or that time frame, your warranty won’t help you.

Assurant offers protection plans that cover a variety of potential situations. This includes incidents like theft or loss, issues like water damage or cracks and hardware issues. This coverage provides financial protection if something happens to your phone, which is crucial as cellphones become more expensive.

Assurant is not available to purchase on its own. The company’s insurance plans are only available through the mobile carriers it’s partnered with. Contact your provider to ask about availability and learn about plans and pricing.

Assurant plans

Nearly a dozen carriers work with Assurant, and each has its own Assurant plans and offerings. For example, Xfinity has one plan for iPhone users and another for Android users. T-Mobile, on the other hand, has basic and 360-degree plans that cover both iPhone and Android.

A basic plan covers hardware issues once the manufacturer warranty expires. It also covers accidental damage, loss or theft. Some providers may require a deductible or service fee for specific repairs. Advanced coverage includes AppleCare services (for Apple devices) and tech support, such as Tech PHD or Pocket Geek.

To know exactly what Assurant plans are available to you, contact your mobile carrier or check its Assurant brochure.

Assurant prices

As with the plans that Assurant offers, your insurance cost varies depending on your mobile carrier. Some carriers offer several tiers with a variety of deductibles, while others have a single cost. There are many affordable options for those who want to save and higher-priced options for those who want the best coverage for their devices. Here are some example per-month costs:

• Metro by T-Mobile: $6
  • Bluegrass Cellular: $7.99 to $9.99
  • Spectrum Mobile: $7 to $18
  • Xfinity: $7 to $15
  • T-Mobile: $7 to $25
  • U.S. Cellular: $9.99 to $11.99

Check your provider’s Assurant brochure to see which plans it offers.

Assurant Phone Insurance FAQ

What does Assurant cover?
Assurant covers a variety of issues that aren’t included in your manufacturer’s warranty. These include theft, spills, loss and general malfunction. It also covers device hardware after your manufacturer’s warranty expires.
Does Assurant cover cracked screens?
Assurant may cover a cracked screen if your package includes accidental damage coverage, but there’s usually an extra service fee.
How long does it take Assurant to process a claim?
Customer reviews generally mention a fast claims process with Assurant. Many reviews state claims take 24 hours or less to process.
Does Assurant give new phones?
Assurant doesn’t give new phones as a replacement, usually. It offers customers refurbished phones of similar quality. If there is no refurbished phone available, then Assurant provides a new phone of similar quality. All replacement phones come with a six-month warranty.

Is Assurant legit?

Assurant is a good option for phone insurance. Since Assurant is only available through your phone carrier, your cost and coverage depend largely on your provider. With that said, most carriers have affordable options for phone protection. If you’d rather not risk losing or damaging your phone, Assurant is a good safety net to have.

Assurant Phone Insurance Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2017

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Phone Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I was very happy from the very beginning of this process that's getting my phone replaced because of a cracked screen on my phone. Each person I spoke with during the phone calls I was treated very well with the knowledge Assurant Associates. From the time of my first call to the time that I received my phone and there were a few more calls I made to Assurant and there was not one time I did not get things resolved. I wish all companies in this world add to knowledge to treat people with courtesy and respect that was given not only buy one but by all I spoke with.

I think T-Mobile done very well by using their services. There were a few things I cannot figure out on my phone when I first got it and they resolved that issue right off the bat. I went to a T-Mobile representative at one of the local stores here in Florida and neither one of the associates there have ever seen the phone that I had and didn't know anything about it, so at that time I told them I would just get in touch with Assurant and maybe they could learn something from them while I was there and lo and behold they were very impressed as well with the service call and resolved issues that I cannot figure out myself. Assurant spokesperson at that time really impressed them well they listened in.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We greatly appreciate the awesome review, Ronald! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I recently had to replace my Samsung Galaxy S9 due to a broken screen. I went through the process online but had an issue when it came to the payment and the payment wouldn't process. I called the customer service number and was promptly assisted by a helpful employee. Then, when I received my replacement I had a question about the packages and labels that were sent to me. I called to make sure I was sending the correct thing. ***One thing I would mention is that I was surprised that I was asked to place my device in a very small cardboard envelope. I didn't feel comfortable just putting the device in there so I added thin bubble wrap around my device.

I also was confused about the return labels. I received the cardboard envelope that already had a shipping label - for USPS - but there was also a separate sheet with a FedEx label on it. I couldn't tell from the instructions which one I was supposed to use. Initially, I thought maybe I was supposed to remove the SIM card from my old device and send that in the cardboard envelope (because it was such a small envelope) and then use the FedEx label to return my device. You may want to edit the return instructions to indicate that the FedEx label is only to be used in case the replacement device is defective. I didn't see that mentioned in the instructions, but I may have just missed it somehow. Overall, a very quick and easy transaction. Much appreciated!

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for the feedback regarding our return process, Margaret. We appreciate the insight in relation to our return instructions. Thanks!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Last Friday I needed to turn in a claim and get a replacement phone and no longer had possession of my phone. The communication breakdown through the portal caused quite a few glitches. Thankfully your live representatives worked with me to get me the remaining forms needed to process the claim. The site never did. However I did not receive my phone until Tuesday. And when it arrived, it was damaged, scratched and unstable. Again I called for assistance after putting a question online and with no response. And again, your live representatives saved the day. He is having me send my phone back to be replaced.

I am thankful, but scared out of my mind. I had to wait to send it this morning due to a follow up with a doctor appointment yesterday and I am a seriously injured lady who lives alone and my only means of communicating with my medical transportation service is via cell phone, or to contact my caregivers. My phone went out Fedex today. The tracking number is **. The lady informed me that it would not get to Pa until maybe Monday. Can you please just check the tracking to confirm the broken one is on its way and ship my phone? The man I talked to said it would be overnighted. But it looks like that is next week. Please help.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We're so sorry for the issues you've encountered, Rebecca, and we hope you're doing well. We'd like to help with your case. Please check your private messages, as we need additional information.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

Dear Customer Affairs, I am just now getting around to returning these devices as I have been traveling the last 4 months with my Job. Now that I’ve had a chance to catch up, I noticed that I had already been charged for the unreturned devices. This has caused a financial hardship on my family as I had to figure out how to pay almost $1000 to keep my service from being interrupted. I currently have 10 devices through T-Mobile. Add that to the $500 extra charged to my account by Assurant and now I’m faced with the burden of how to bounce back from the loss of Income due to Covid and now the extra for cell service. It’s been a slow return to work as I am contract labor but things are getting better.

I would greatly appreciate you reconsidering my situation and add a credit to my account with T-Mobile to help us maintain service and the ability to follow up on leads for employment. If this is not possible then please send back the devices that have already been paid for to the address below and I will figure out another way to recoup the $200 deductible and the $500 device fee.

Sincerely yours,

Brian

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Brian - We are sorry to hear about your experience. If you still need assistance, please respond to the private message we sent you.

Original review: July 15, 2021

As we all have done at least one time upon leaving my phone on top of my car at the gas pumps then pulling off only to catch a glimpse of it sliding off my next viewing of it I wasn't sure if it was a phone or not, worried that my own negligence would cause me to not be able to get a replacement under warranty boy was I wrong, upon starting to tell the representative of my mishap she was quick to inform me none of that mattered. It was a accident and accidents happen, she took all my information and gave me some instructions told me the timeline of the replacement arrival, asked if I had any questions and if I understood everything.

She then said good luck have a good day and by that time I was thinking to myself man if every representative for all companies was as polite and efficient as this one was people would have more time to do other things because we wouldn't be on our phones trying to get something straighten out that the last rep messed up because she or he didn't really want to work that day or because we spent 30 minutes trying to get a 10 minute problem addressed, you readers know exactly what I mean, well after all that was finished up within 48 hours I was using my new phone letting a few important people know I was back up and running and it was business as usual, if there's 1 thing in all the mess I found myself in it was selecting the right people to cover my warranty

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thanks for the in-depth review Russell, we greatly appreciate it! We're happy your replacement process was fast and simple.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I had cracked my phone screen and a few keyboard letters did not work. The process to report my claim and to get my phone repaired was done within a 4 hour window. I was pleasantly surprised and T-mobile staff were great!

Assurant Phone Insurance response

That's wonderful to hear, Gloria.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I didn't like way how had get my replacement for my new phone. I'm use talking to agent get prove same day and pay for it with agent or in store. Had wait for y'all send me prove to my email. It took all day. I didn't like that. It waste time. Y'all need go back like y'all had it first times. I never had wait that long for my replacement. I was really mad. Then y'all making these changes don't inform your customers. That bad for business. That reason why I left y'all service last time cause was have trouble get my phone replacement then when I'm paying insurance on my phone y'all really need fix that.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We're so sorry for the issues you encountered, Yvonne. If this case is unresolved, please send us a private message.

Original review: May 15, 2022

My phone had broken and I went into T-Mobile to get a new phone and they help me right away giving me the information on my warranty our insurance. I'm sorry so I was able to take care of the matter right away. Thank you.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for letting us know how we did.

Original review: May 14, 2022

I am extremely happy with the help I received in the Kendall Store. I was leaving to Orlando and my screen was broken. I was taken care of within 5 minutes and the technician Martin was phenomenal. He knew I needed a phone for my trip and had my phone fixed before my trip. I would highly recommend this store and Martin to all my friends.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

That's wonderful to hear!

Original review: May 12, 2022

Although the entire process was online, I was able to file the claim for my phone repair. The process was easy and uncomplicated. A replacement for my phone was approved instantly. Assurant took care of my problem in 24 hrs. Thank you everyone at Assurant.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

The pleasure was all ours, Martin!

Assurant Phone Insurance Company Information