1.38/5
Based on 56 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

285 Assurant Phone Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

I paid these people 12 per month for nearly 4 years. If you do the math that is well over $500. When my phone was lost they told me I would have to pay a deductible of $175. Do the math again. This is not worth it unless you file a claim within the first year. I'm either going to another carrier (** T-Mobile!) or cancelling this ** insurance.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Evident by other complaints here, it is highly apparent there is a pattern of abuse here. Like others I filed my claim. Called later to follow up and was told "under review by internal department", Review of what? Response is "once internal has it, we have no idea, continue to check site for updates." Did just that and hours later no response. Called T-Mobile to get them involved. And they too were surprised of the response. Waited till I got home checked site and was told denied. Called cust. service to get regurgitated response of "we don't know, write a letter to corporate for an explanation."

Asked for supervisor and he came on and said same. "This is their policy we cannot change it our hands are tied." So furiously I decided to escalate the issue with T-Mobile. They too again were "surprised" of the lack of information or details as to why it was being denied. T-Mobile went on to say the rep they spoke to was adamant nothing could be done. And they would take care of claim and escalate the issue with executive team. Been a customer for almost two decades so I do believe they will review this further.

This the abuse, and when abuse is intentional (financial gain of not paying claim) it perpetuates a fraud. After escalating it with executive team. Assurant is walking back and now blaming the rep for incorrectly denying for get this "material misrepresentation" completely accusatory without any finding of facts. Worse this alleges wrongdoing such as filing a fraudulent claim. Something I do not take likely.

They claim address they got from T-Mobile is different and it denied it. What was missing was a suite number which they never bothered disclosing or attempted to correct. It was for them a denial based of material misrepresentation with the culpability passed on to the filer. I am filing a complaint with BBB and have already been in contact with the Office of Insurance Regulations for what is clearly a policy created to benefit them. Zero transparency here, how many people don't have the wherewithal to escalate it and find resolve? How many claims do they deny for this very same reason? This must be investigated, I'm ardent in my belief of their intent with such archaic policy or plausible deniability afforded to their call center reps.

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 31, 2018

This company is a FRAUD and will take your premium $$$... Offering NO customer service or assistance whatsoever! My phone broke (charging issues, volume controls won't work properly, overheating, rebooting for no reason, cracked screen, headphone jack busted) so I took it into T-Mobile who checked my IIME and my account and verified that the phone was covered and would be replaced via Assurant if I filed a claim. I filed the claim then contacted them a week later and was told that my claim was denied, they "did not know why" and to contact T-Mobile for more details.

T-Mobile was stunned, saying they had never heard of a claim being denied for no reason whatsoever. They made a conference call to Assurant who again, said my claim was denied but that they were unable to provide an explanation as to why. 5 days later, my phone completely stopped charging so I filed a new claim, providing the account information that T-Mobile provided (verbatim) so there is NO WAY that the claim could be denied due to an error of account holder information nor any type of clerical error on my part. 24 hours later and again, my claim is denied with ZERO explanation.

So basically, they can't tell me why my claim is denied...just that I spent the last year and a half paying them for NOTHING since they do not care to honor their policy of fixing/repairing a phone that they cover. I should take them to small claims court to sue them for all of the $$$ they have taken from me for paid premiums since they have no intention of making even the smallest attempt to honor customer requests and do what is right by fixing people's broken cell phones!!! Scam artists!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I purchased an iPhone 6s from a T-Mobile store. I was told by the representative who was assisting me that my phone was expensive and therefore I should purchase insurance "For the phone." I took their advice and signed up for insurance to cover the phone. A few years later I chose to use my sister's iPhone 6 and de-activated my iPhone 6s for a period of time, while still paying the insurance premium. I ended up losing my I iPhone6s when it came time to re-activate that particular phone. I contacted the insurance company, put in a claim for the iPhone 6s, they approved it but they sent me an iPhone 6 instead of a 6s. I contacted them to tell them that they must have made a mistake. They responded by saying the insurance I purchased covered "The phone number" and not the phone itself, and since my iPhone 6s was deactivated when I lost it they will not replace my phone.

I explained to the people in the insurance claim department in Albuquerque, New Mexico that in the T-Mobile store what induced me to buy the iPhone 6s was that the T-Mobile representative told me that the insurance covers my phone not my phone number (Who would sell home insurance that covers the address and not the house itself). The representatives in this call center told me that's not how it works, regardless of what they told you in the store, and they refused to help me any further, even though they offered me to send my replacement iPhone 6 back to them for a refund of my insurance deductible of $175 and then be without a phone. Ultimately they pinned their inability to help on Assurant, claiming that they are the ones who ultimately refused to replace my iPhone 6s that I purchased along with insurance.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Lost my phone a couple months after getting it, then contacted Assurant, Sprint's "amazing" phone insurance provider, said they would sent me a NEW phone after paying the deductible. Anxiously waited for my phone to arrive, given I've been without a phone for 3 days, come to find out that the "new" phone I received was dead (wouldn't take a charge or power on). Called them and explained and they apologized profusely and sent me another "new" phone. I was instructed to send back the dead phone in the prepaid padded envelope (went to the post office and actually handed it to a human being).

About a month and a half after that, I got a message that said they're going to shut my service off if they didn't receive the first "new" phone that was delivered or pay an $845.00 fee for the "new" phone. Tracking number said the package had been there for a month. Proceeded to call 5 times with the tracking number to get 2 claim numbers from people that "care", after they shut my service off 4 times. Finally out of the blue they waived the charge, then told us to pay our Sprint bill that was 10 DAYS past due or they would shut our service off again. Sprint is a load of **. Just saying.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Phone Insurance?

Original review: May 9, 2018

I called the company and made a claim on my cell phone which had a shattered screen. The new replacement phone came the next day but the replacement phone had a large crack on the back of it so I called them right away. The company assured me that I could use the phone which came in the mail while I was waiting for the 14-day period to end with UPS and then they would send me another phone a week and a half later. I called them and they were trying to get me to send back the crack phone and wait two days before I would receive another phone or a problem that Kurt was created at the insurance company. I shouldn't have to wait for two days for a phone. They should send the replacement right away and not have any customers waiting 2 to 3 days for cell phone which was cracked at their plant. This company will beat you down to keep from sending you a cell phone. Bad bad business.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Well I filed a claim two or three weeks ago on a Friday. My replacement phone was delivered to my hands by the following Monday. It came with a package to put my returned phone in and I dropped that in an outgoing mailbox on Wednesday. Unfortunately there wasn't a tracking number (only an RMA which is useless to customers I guess) so I had no way to know if the delivery was successful. I requested I be contacted, explaining the situation, and within a day I was given the tracking number by a very helpful employee. It was received by them a few days ago and it has updated in their tracking today that they have received the device. Overall, happy with the service.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I wish I could give them no stars because they don't deserve any. I have a T-Mobile account. My iPhone was stolen, I called Assurant to get my phone replaced but they refused to send me another one and no one would give me a straight answer on why I couldn't get one. They are very unprofessional. I called on two different occasions and the ladies I talked to hung up on me. Assurant is just out to get your money and not give the customers any kind of respect. They are the worst.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Horrible company, T-Mobile should find another insurance company to deal with their customers. They are very good at charging fees but horrible on fixing issues associated with the customer. Replacement device was damage. Assurant refused to take responsibility for damage device and asked for another full deductible for a new device. I would not recommend this company to anyone. They lack customer support. They can care less about customer satisfaction.

Original review: May 1, 2018

KEEP EVERYDAY LIFE RUNNING SMOOTH. What a jokers and we are the ones who gets punish for. File a claim for my wife's phone that got broke and after 48h still no phone, called them back and after spending almost 1h on the phone and pay the $175 replacement fee I have to still go back online and continue to file the claim. And looks like she won't get another phone for at least another 36h.

Here is what I think. $12 a month is equal to $144 plus the $175 fee is equal to $319. I better just cancel my policy and pay $400 online from a private seller and have a new phone at the same day and maybe even hour that is on mint condition. Plus I did read a lot of reviews from customers from this JOKERS who had received a refurbished phone that didn't work. Wouldn't suggest this company to nobody. I'm on my way to T-Mobile to ask them to switch me back to ASURION. They are not that great either but you get your phone next day. I never had a problem.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I had made a claim with T-Mobile for Galaxy Samsung 8. 1st they denied it due to "Wrong IMEI #" then I contacted them with the right IMEI #, they then denied it for giving my own phone number "Wrong" (like I don't know my number). Then they declined it again for not having my sim card on the phone at the time of the incident (stating I was not using the phone on the date I had provided them). So is very nice on them to have you spend hours back and forth with T-Mobile as well, All of this to keep denying your claim? They're smart on charging you money but not willing to stick to their own TERMS & CONDITIONS which half of what they told me is not mentioned anywhere in those so called TERMS & CONDITIONS. Never again paying for some ** service.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This company have lost my patience, I report my phone broken and I been waiting for the replacement since March 24/18. The phone supposed got delivery and left at front door by UPS. They never find the phone and they told me I have to wait 14 more days so I waited and when they finally sent again the second replacement to a different address 'cause they ask me to so I have them my work address and when the phone was supposed to be delivered on my hands the UPS girl told she can't give it to me 'cause ASSURANT said to return the phone back to their warehouse 'cause the address was not found. So now I have to wait another 7 days for them to come up with some other **, this company sucks and is managing T-MOBILE. PHONE DEVICES INSURANCE IS not with it. This both company are SCAMMERS...

Original review: April 6, 2018

I read so many negative reviews on here about Assurant insurance. To where it even left me discouraged. So I feel warranted to share my experience. My phone was lost/stolen March 30th. I have the iPhone 8 Plus through T-Mobile. So I called Assurant insurance and paid the $175 deductible for my replacement. I spoke with the Assurant representative, they were very professional and very accommodating! They expressed extreme kindness and were sorry for my lost phone. I was approved for a replacement quickly and received my phone within 2 days. I also received the exact phone and color that I had lost. No issues or flaws. My phone is now connected, working properly and I couldn't be more happier! I'm very pleased with experience with Assurant Insurance. To where I created a Consumer Affairs account just to leave a comment! I give them 2 thumbs up!

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have a Samsung on5 in which was a replacement to a k7 in which I paid the required $20 deductible. My Samsung on5 stopped working and I filed a claim for replacement after visiting local T-Mobile whom verified deductible is $20 dollars. Assurant had me pay $50 deductible and is stating that my phone will be replaced with a comparable device. The phone they sent with a small scratch on the bumper is the same Samsung 0n5. The same one I paid only a $20 deductible to replace my k7.

When I contact Assurant they said the $50 dollars is the deductible on the Samsung on5, so I ask how is that comparable and why was I sent a phone to replace the k7 that would have a higher deductible without my permission. Assurant simply states that this is the deductible and that they did not break any contract. I feel the contract is broke due to the fact that when I selected a k7 plan which I choose for a reason to keep costs down, and then when I need to replace it for a $20 dollar deductible it should be honored, not be forced to pay higher deductibles.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I filed a claim with the insurance to only be denied because... the phone being claimed was my 12 year olds phone who was having trouble focusing in class. Therefore his phone was taken till his grades improved. Lo and behold when he got the phone back it wasn’t working and I then filed a claim. According to the insurance company because his phone wasn’t active for almost 90days they couldn’t cover the phone damages. Craziest thing I have ever heard because if my car was sitting for 90 days then the day I decided to use it, it got damaged. I would expect Progressive insurance to write a check. This isn’t my first horrible encounter with Assurant. I think they have horrible business practices as well as horrible consumer policies. Hopefully they get it together but I’m tired of being ripped off by this company. It’s disgusting!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I received a replacement device in Jan, 2017. I took the phone to the T-Mobile store thinking the face was cracked. When I arrived the salesperson told me the phone was not cracked it was the screen protector. I purchased another screen protector and called Assurant customer service. The CSR asked that I mail the device back in the provided which envelope, which I did on Jan 21, 2017, it was placed in the mailbox in front of the USPS in Grand Prairie, same location and method I've used to mail back several phones. The phone was not received and I was charged 528.

I have been a longtime customer and have never had an issue. The agent from Assurant told me it was because I didn't go into the post office. How is that true, I've never had an issues in the past or been charged. I asked a fake supervisor at Assurant to issue credit and he only stated policy. I worked for VZW for 20 years and know that it can be done... I waited on hold to speak to his boss and they hung up. ASSURANT is an awful, unprofessional, subpar company. He told me it's never been done, when I reminded him that he was speaking for his company, he then said he personally has not seen it done! GREAT RECOVERY... This is an awful, horrible company. I have never worked with people this unprofessional and who have little to no focus on customer service. RUN from this company if you can...

Original review: March 20, 2018

So in July I had messed up my phone Galaxy S8+. I washed it up on the ocean. I returned the phone and paid my deductible. Turns out that they lost my phone because I returned it at the United Postal Service Office. Assurant claims to have never received the phone but I know that I turned it in with the address and envelope they had sent me with the new phone. On the exact same day I received the device I returned the old one. I've been on the phone for hours with both T-Mobile and Assurant. This is ridiculous.

This situation has been going on for months. I'm planning on switching carriers because they're making me pay 100s of dollars extra. I returned the device and paid my deductible. So apparently they've done the handset search for but they claim they still can't find it any of their warehouses. I pay an extra$150 dollars every month because Assurant can't find the device. Now the loyal customer is left down. Don't go to T-Mobile and do get insurance with Assurant.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge that actually had a screen protector on when it was dropped, however it still cracked on the side after a fall of an elliptical machine. I have been paying for the insurance through T-Mobile since I bought the phone a year ago at a cost of $12 a month. I submitted a claim through the website and was only offered two options: one to replace the phone with a used phone and one to use jump to upgrade to another phone. I only wanted the screen fixed but the option wasn't available. I paid the $175 deductible and opted for the replacement. Two days later, I logged in to check the status and see that the claim is denied without any explanation. The terms and conditions include accidental damage so I really don't understand why the claim was denied. I wish I hadn't wasted the extra $144 for coverage that I could not use.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I bought Samsung S7 from T-mobile and paying jump and insurance on that every month. Phone was not working right. Turn off after some time and screen flashing so I changed it to my other spare phone and using old phone and forget about the problem. In January saw the phone in my drawer and thought let try this one again and drop the phone by mistake. Called the Assurant for claim and they rejected the claim. That phone was not active at the time of accident but you are taking the money every month. They said it will cover the only phone which was active. What if I buy the phone from market and use the phone and file a claim for that phone that is also not covered? Then someone can tell what is all covered. It's better to buy phone from Amazon and buy their insurance so you don't have to pay every month and give them the double the price of phone.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Here is a major tip. Save your own money towards a replacement phone. I ordered a work phone and it has not been received. Assurant keeps shipping it back for whatever reason. They also are dishonest and give ambiguous explanations. I asked for a refund, I was informed I would get one when they received a phone back that THEY shipped to THEMSELVES. When people stop using their services they will understand.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I have seven lines with T-Mobile. I'm a loyal long time customer. I have insurance on all of my seven phones. I filed a claim because I lost ONE PHONE with Assurant. For two weeks, I called the company and they lied to me in regards to the status of my claim. Finally they tell me my claim is denied which I DO NO UNDERSTAND AS TO WHY. No one can tell me anything unless I write a letter to the company. This is a fraudulent company and T-Mobile should not be doing business with such a horrible company. I have never dealt with such horrendous and UNETHICAL company.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Your phone is not covered if you remove the sim card! This is not something that gets provided to you prior to purchasing a coverage. All you will hear from them is that your phone was not active at the time even though you had insurance with them for over 3 years. Very poor quality customer service and satisfaction.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Had my phone not got broken, I wouldn't know there existed such a terrible cell phone insurance company. I had my cell phones insured before I switched to T-Mobile and had no issue at all with the insurance claims. My experience with Assurant goes like this. My IPHONE 6 got damaged in July 2017 so I filed a claim, paid $200 deductible. I received a refurbished phone with a broken camera. After I received the phone, I traveled out of the county, when I got back, I called Assurant and informed them that they sent me a bad phone. I assumed they would send me a replacement immediately based my past experience with other insurance companies. However, I was told (only at this moment) that I only had 7 days to inform them whether the device I received was not in good condition. This was the first time I was informed about this 7 days policy.

I was told that I had to file a new claim and pay another $200 if I want to get a new replacement. I didn't want to waste all my time to reasoning with them, so I file a new claim to replace the bad phone they sent me and paid another $200. Then, the phone I received (number 2 phone) was not working, I couldn't receive phone calls. They said it was not physically damaged so I had to call The Apple company to fix it. The Apple technician couldn't make the phone work, the Assurant finally agreed to send me another replacement (phone number 3). The good news is, the 3rd replacement phone seems OK, I returned all replaced phones back to them using the USPS box they sent to me. Surprisingly when I received my T-mobile bill today, I was shocked to see the Assurant charged me $287.99 for non-returned device.

I call Assurant, and luckily I took a photo before I shipped the device to Assurant, and the tracking history shows they received all my returned packages. But, they claim, they could not find my phone in their warehouse! They even suggested that there might be nothing in the box! Therefore they will not drop the non-returned device charge they posted to my account! I am speechless! For an iPhone 6, I have paid all the monthly insurance charge of $7.99 (something like that), $400 deductibles in total, and $287.99 for bad phones they sent to me and I have returned! Can you believe how bad the company is? They are making big money on the insurance scam! I am going to leave T-Mobile if they are not going to do something about this! Is there a way to find with Assurant?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I don't usually review companies but felt like my experience with my insurance claim deserved recognition. I lost my T-Mobile phone and luckily was able to get a new one through the insurance I selected when I originally purchased it. It took about 5 min to submit the online form, I paid the $50 deductible and figured I would have my replacement phone in a week (maybe) if I was lucky.

2 days later I logged in to check the status of my claim, it had a FedEx tracking number already which was a big surprise, I clicked to track it and it said "delivered" earlier that day. I thought it must be a mistake but checked my front porch, and there it was! I opened the box and found an exact device as I originally had, it was most likely a refurbished phone but it appeared to be brand new as far as I could tell. Within minutes I had it up and going with my same phone number with no issues at all. I am grateful for the speedy hassle free service from Assurant and T-Mobile. Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Been trying to contact. Said rep would response in 24 hours. I have contacted multiple times. Haven't hear anything. I pay the monthly fee yet looks like Assurant is committing fraud as they haven't processed claim nor gotten back to me in the various emails I sent following up on claim.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

This is a scam company for insurance as I paid as I was asked to but when the phone broke when a system update, updated, they refused to give me a new phone or any phone or any claim adding to anything to help me get a replacement. They stated they knew this phone had issues with updates, so they therefore would not replace it. I could get 128 bucks for my 250 phone only 14 months old and then had to pay back 69 bucks as the deductible was owed even when they would not give me a replacement phone. I left Project Fi too over this as their cheapest phone now is 400. I actually paid more into the insurance then got back. 59 bucks for my 70 buck insurance payments! Insurance for phones are all scams I have found. Just pray your phone breaks before the years up if you have to ever need a new one within the warranty time. This is the only way you get anything ahead of these scammers!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have insurance for my phone and have had nothing but problems with Assurant! I lost my phone and filed a claim that got denied about a year ago... They denied that claim for some reason so I had to go through T-Mobile and pay almost double! Then recently the screen went completely out on the phone and I needed to file another claim. This time I called to file the claim. They assured me everything would be alright because I was told by the representative. I actually believed that this time would be different since I didn't use the online. At first when my phone didn't come like they said I figured it was because of the holiday. Today I tracked my claim and once again denied! They had no problem taking the $175 though! Ridiculous! After seeing their reviews it seems like I'm not the only one! T-Mobile needs to drop them! It's hurting their reputation! I'd give them 0 stars if possible!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Everyone here has given such negative reviews. So I felt I should give my positive. Everyone I contacted at Assurant was really helpful. I got my claim and phone very quickly! Right before Thanksgiving. After doing an IMEI check it turns out my replacement is brand new. They only got 4 stars because the color of the phone they sent was wrong. But... I actually like the arctic color on my S8 better than the black that I had. I haven't sent my phone back to them yet. But after reading the reviews... I'm going to record every step of the process in case they try to claim that I didn't turn it in as well as USPS insurance.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Had an iPhone 5S for 3.5 years and dutifully paid my insurance premiums which was billed as a no hassle replacement policy should my phone be damaged. After the most recent update, my phone started to crash 1-3 times per week so issued my claim. Had to pay a deductible of $175 in order to get a replacement device. The device that arrived was a terrible refurbished device which crashes every 30 minutes. Quite frustrating. At least the person on the other line was sympathetic and issued me a refund for the deductible (to be credited when I send my device back). This phone insurance is not reliable and I would highly recommend against paying into it.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Replacement phone #4 since February 2017. Same issue on all of them. Phone fails in 3 months. Most recent replacement phone is on the blacklist. Could be either lost or stolen. Went up the command chain, CSR, Supervisor, Manager, and District. No problem resolution. Here were my two options. Wait 2-3 days for phone to be un-blocked no guarantees or send phone back and when the warehouse received it another one would be overnighted. Why am I being inconvenienced?

Assurant Phone Insurance expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Assurant Phone Insurance offers phone and tablet insurance through providers in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Brazil, Argentina and Italy. It offers a wide range of plans that cover device protection, data restoration and technical support.

• Replacement services: Assurant offers replacement in the event of loss, theft, accidental damage or mechanical breakdown. These services are especially useful if your mobile device’s warranty has expired.

• Pocket Geek: Select Assurant policies include Pocket Geek, an app for your mobile phone which allows you to troubleshoot, monitor device performance and even wipe the device in case of theft.

• Lookout Mobile Security: Assurant pairs with Lookout Mobile Security, which protects your phone from outside threats like malware and spyware.

• Data protection: Assurant allows you to backup 100 GB of data, allowing you access to your important information even in the event of theft or loss.

• Global provider options: Assurant pairs with U.S. Cellular, T-Mobile and Bluegrass Cellular in the United States, Claro Up in Brazil, Movistar in Argentina, TIM in Italy and T-Mobile in Puerto Rico.

• Best for: mobile phone owners with expired warranties.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Assurant Phone Insurance Company Information