4.3/5 (12211 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 17, 2022

We moved into our current house Mar 26 2021. Our home warranty was with American Home Shield, phone number: 888-682-1043. Website is www.ahs.com. Headquarters address is: 889 Ridge Lake Blvd, Memphis, TN 38120. For that year, it was fine overall and we didn't have any big issues with them. They were definitely more helpful than not.

However, our year contract expired on Mar 26 2022 and we didn't renew right away as we were looking at our options. Then about a month ago, around mid April, our freezer connected to our fridge started to go bad. We were trying to figure out the remedies for repairing it and calling the manufacturer, etc. But then about 2 weeks later, the fridge started going bad too. At that point, I called American Home Shield to renew our warranty and get help. I found out that since it was still within a 46 day period (or some such time period), that when we renewed it, we would actually have to pay for April, even though it was now May and we didn't have an actual contract with them in April. So basically to get service in May, we would have to pay a "back bill" of the month before. I asked how to avoid that and was told if I waited about 10 days, I would be out of that time period and could get a new contract with a fresh starting date of about mid May.

Unfortunately, a few days later was when the fridge started to go bad, which greatly worried me as I have a baby and his formula was starting to go bad. I called and renewed our warranty only 7 days before we could have avoided paying this ridiculous, arbitrary "back bill" of the month of April. The vendor (Gulf Appliance Repair, Inc) actually so kindly came to my house that night but told me the LG fridge has been an issue for people lately. The compressor was broken and he said it basically can be risky to repair it as it can be a touchy subject with the other fridge components but that he would have to put it in for that, even though he thinks a brand new fridge is best. He also told me I could ask for a cash out and get the money for the parts and labor and buy a new fridge ourselves. This was on Friday, May 6.

I then called American Home Shield on Monday, May 9 to get an update and was told the vendor hadn't sent in his diagnostic form yet. They called the company and told me they would have it in by the end of the night. I called back on Wed, May 11 to get an update, they called the vendor and found out they still hadn't sent it in. I asked to speak to a supervisor but was told they have to put in a request for them to call me back, and that there are not just available.

Same thing Thursday, May 12. I asked to please escalate this and do something about it as I have a baby, can't get any food in the house and had to go out and buy a mini fridge for his formula and snacks. And we are eating out lunches and dinners which is expensive and not healthy. The representative told me she would check it herself and make sure it happened. I asked to speak to a Supervisor and she told me she would have one call me.

I called Friday, and still no diagnostic report turned in. I asked to spead to a supervisor and was told the lady before never did put my request in but that he was now and someone would call me within 24 hours. No call 24 hours later so I called again but now I was told it's within 24-48 hours that the supervisors call. I didn't call Sunday, May 15 as I figured it was a lost cause.

I called Monday, May 16 and found out the report and finally been sent in and the parts were on order. I then told the representative that I had been very clear in my first couple of calls that I wanted the option to cash out before any parts were ordered and that obviously this information was pretty upsetting and startling. She looked through their notes and told me no one had noted that and regardless, the vendor would have to be contacted by me so that he would send in a report that I can cash out. This didn't make a lot of sense to me, so I called the vendor and found out they never send in authorization for cash outs as it's the warranty company's authority to approve or disapprove such requests, they have nothing to do with that.

By this time, I was basically crying and so upset with the run around, wrong communications and directions that I was getting that I didn't even know what to do with myself. I called the warranty company again and asked if I could just cancel my contract with them and get my money back. They said I won't get any money back. So I asked for a supervisor to call me. They said the request was still in from Friday and someone would call. So that night, at 8:19pm they called. But I missed the call as I was putting my baby to bed. I was surprised it was so late as I had asked for the call to be in the afternoon. I called back and was told that they normally call again about 30 mins later. This didn't happen. They never called back at all.

So this morning I had to call again and was told I had to put a NEW request in to speak with a supervisor, which I did. I have been waiting hours and nothing. So I called just now to plead to speak with a supervisor and was on the phone for 20 mins. The rep said she can't get a supervisor on the phone and that they said to tell me that the supervisor assigned to my ticket will call me. This means there WERE supervisors she actually spoke to but they wouldn't get on the phone to help handle a very irate, sad, upset, disgruntled customer. This is really, really bad customer service and I see why they have a one star review on Google.

I would like to have a new fridge instead of the current one just being repaired as the repairman was pretty clear that they can get broken again and again at this stage and that it's better to just get a new one. If this is denied, and it's the parts and repair still, I would like to know what my option to cash out is. If this is denied, I would like my fridge repaired ASAP and compensated for the $100 mini fridge we had to buy, the food that went bad in the fridge with this taking so long (at least $100), and the dinners out we have had to have for the last 2 weeks (at least $250). Thank you for listening and for any help you may be able to give me.

Eve,

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Robert and I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: May 16, 2022

I had a leaking faucet and my toilet was making a large squeal noise. I called American Home Shield. It was fairly easy to get through. I received the name of the company that was coming out and the telephone number for contact. So far, everything's functioning well now.

Original review: May 15, 2022

AHS is a good service except for A/C or Heater service. It will take several days to get someone to your house. This happens every time. I put in a service call on a Thursday and they can't come out until Tuesday. And no weekend service, so you have to wait through the weekend to get scheduled. This is unacceptable. And don't even try to call customer service since wait times can be hours.

Original review: May 15, 2022

I received the information from American Home Shield related to who was coming out and they also provided me with the phone number that I could call. But I ended up expediting the process and called the company myself. The repair guy was professional. He inquired what the issue was and I told him that there was this egg smell and that it's odd coming from the shower, and then the slowness of the drain. So, I asked him to snake it. He said that they would check to make certain it's covered. The guy said that they could only snake it if there was an actual clog. Otherwise, AHS wouldn't cover it. They could have told me that over the phone that they'll only cover it if it's stopped up totally. But they didn’t and still charged me for the visit.

Original review: May 15, 2022

I had a problem was the garbage disposal and the tech from Third Generation Plumbing was a nice fella. He got right in there and then told me everything he was doing. I also had a claim when I had some sprung leaks out of my valves behind my washing machine. The guy came and tighten down the nut. Paying $100 was a bit much but the way they looked, I was afraid to try it myself. At least if something broke, he was here to do it. The only thing with AHS is I don't want to call in a claim on the weekend if I can avoid it. I had a leak inside the house and I shut my water off. I filed a claim and they said the contractor would call me and make an appointment within 24 to 36 hours. That wasn't going to cut it. I needed the contractor then. Other than that, AHS's service is well worth it.

Original review: May 15, 2022

We had a little problem when our air conditioner went out and American Home Shield approved to get a new one and it took us almost a month to get it. It just seemed like we couldn't get ahold of the people who were going to put it in. It took forever. They just kept promising. Finally, we got it after about 20 calls to them. I wasn't happy with how much money I had to pay to have it put in. I had to pay $3,095 extra. I've had American Home Shield for many years and I don't have a problem with them. I just have a problem with who they send out and why I had to pay $3,000. They said it was for upgrades. They didn't upgrade anything. They just put in a new one and then I had to pay for it.

I called AHS about three times and told them I couldn't get those people to talk to me. This one lady from AHS that got on the phone said, "Well, they'll talk to me," and they did. She got them on the phone but it was the same old they will get back to us, and they never did. Most times, we were running the phone off their walls three times a day. Still, I like American Home Shield. They've always been prompt about everything.

Original review: May 14, 2022

I'm very appreciative of American Home Shield. They just recently came through for me when they replaced my air conditioning system. It was old, and I had leaks in my coils in my evaporator system upstairs and a couple of problems throughout the system. It wasn’t running very well and kept losing refrigerant. The techs came out a couple of times and evaluated it. As a matter of fact, they just replaced the evaporator last year and it ran great all year.

During the winter, I didn’t use the air conditioner then when I got ready to use it again, it started freezing up. I called and the techs came out, evaluated it and determined that they had to replace the condenser and the evaporator. Also, the refrigerant they’re using now would not be compatible with the system, so they ended up having to dump everything, start all over again and finally got the unit put in a couple of weeks ago.

So far, having American Home Shield has been a benefit to me. For the premiums I'm paying and the return I'm getting, that might change. I hope I can go without having any problems, but they’ve always lived up to my contract. Every time I call, it takes time with the crazy slowdown right now, but they've been taking care of what they’re supposed to.

Original review: May 14, 2022

My two air conditioning units went out. I had a representative come out and he told me that he will have to test one of the units to see if there was a leak. He would have to inject something into the unit then he would come back out in three days to determine if there was a leak. If there was a leak, he would have to determine where the leak was coming from. In the end, things didn't happen like that.

I got a text on the day when he was supposed to come back out to determine if there was a leak that the appointment was canceled. I called to find out what the reason was. I was told that one of the units needed an evaporator coil and American Home Shield wouldn't cover the second unit because the issue was a bracket in the unit that wasn't on correctly. I went ahead and called an air conditioning company to come out to tell me what was going on. I still need air in my home.

The tech is working on the second one, getting the parts, and getting it running. He was able to get the other one running and I didn't need an evaporator coil. The tech said that whatever the initial representative did, he left a whole part unplugged. This could have been purposeful. It's one thing to come out and assess and see if it's gonna fall under warranty. Whether or not it falls under warranty is neither here nor there when you're further damaging my property. That representative turned off the valve on the system. This meant that when the gentleman was trying to do the assessment, the compressor wouldn't come on. He also didn't come back to turn it on so that it was not damaging my unit further.

I'm now wondering what I'm getting into. I thought I was trying to do something good to protect my home. But if they come out and they're doing further damage, that's ridiculous. I also need a full report on what the initial representative came up with because what he said was wrong wasn't what was wrong. He also said that the bracket that was needed for the second unit was not covered. But the tech I got was able to get that one going. If it was a bracket gone, how would I know that a bracket was off? Also, why leave a whole part off and leave the wires hanging out?

I am very disappointed. I almost wanted to try to see how I could cancel American Home Shield because I don't have money to give to a company. They're tearing up my equipment even further and that's very malicious. I initially thought the representative was professional and kind in answering my questions. But he was flat-out lying.

The service was horrible and it makes my blood pressure go up to even talk about it. I paid out of pocket for the tech that fixed my unit. I’m filing all kinds of complaints. I asked for an appeal from American Home Shield and they said I did it within a reasonable time and someone should reach out to me. But that hasn't happened.

Vernetta,

Are you still in need of assistance?

Original review: May 14, 2022

American Home Shield’s service and reliability has been great. They’re honest and stand up to their word of the coverage, unlike other home warranties. I saw advertisements and unfortunately joined a couple other ones which were very unproductive. These other people are rip-offs, and I apologize for not joining American Home Shield sooner. Any claim that I've put in has been covered. Water backup from my toilet, immediately, they had Sears here. They also serviced my pool as well as my appliances, and they fixed my dishwasher. I feel terrible about putting in the claims, but I have this for when something breaks.

I was a little disappointed with my recent request though. In my contract it says I have to maintain the serviceability of my equipment. My pool, air conditioner, sewers and all the others are inspected to keep my warranty. I received an email that said, “You're eligible for a free air conditioner check-up.” It’s only my second year here, but I get it checked every year within 12 months. I went to the email that AHS sent me and I registered for my yearly inspection. I have two air conditioners, one for upstairs, and one for downstairs, and they charged me $75 each for the free air conditioning inspection.

The service guy who was coming out to do the inspection called me. He was scheduled to come, and that reminded me to call American Home Shield and ask them why I received an email of free air conditioning inspection to maintain my service. The gentleman I spoke to on the phone did some checking, came back on the phone and explained to me that the email was sent to me in error. I wasn't eligible because it was not my yearly cycle, and they kept my $150.

Original review: May 14, 2022

American Home Shield provides good service, but it took three attempts to get the job right with my dryer. It also took a little while to get technicians out. The first one determined that the problem with the dryer was that the vent was blocked. We had a separate somebody come out to replace the vent and he replaced something in the dryer. That repair lasted a week, then I had to have another repair person come out. That also didn't work, so a third person came out and the wiring had been bad. AHS covered my dryer. It's just the first two times didn't work and that was frustrating. Still, having a home warranty gives us peace of mind when something like this happens that otherwise might cost a lot of money.

Original review: May 14, 2022

I called in over the phone for two different issues. One, my dryer was not drying clothes like it was supposed to. I turned on my clothes dryer on a Sunday, and I had to stay at home an extra two hours trying to get a load of clothes to get dry. Two, the refrigerator kept having a puddle of water in front of it. It started out as a little puddle and every couple of days, I had to mop in front of the refrigerator, then all of a sudden, it was a big puddle. The handle on my refrigerator looked like it was coming loose, and the light was coming on and off as well. I thought it was the bulb, but one day, the light will be on in there, then another day it will be off.

After I gave all the information for the request, the person I was talking to said they were sending me a link to do a video call because they needed the model numbers for both appliances. They also wanted to take a picture of the appliance model numbers, which was really interesting. I had never done something like that. We did the video call and the lady I talked to was very patient because I don't keep model numbers sitting around. I had try to find them. The light in the refrigerator was dark, and I tried to take pictures then I opened it up enough to read her the numbers after I found it. The first thing I found was the wrong thing and I was reading something that had nothing to do with the model number, but she didn't get frustrated. I said, "Okay, wait, I'm gonna try to do this," then going from the refrigerator upstairs, I had to run downstairs to go in the basement to get the information for the dryer, and she just kept talking to me.

The repair person came and most of the time, I watched him. He was very knowledgeable as well as professional, explained everything that he was doing, and answered my questions when I asked him. It was a good experience all the way around for me, and I haven't had any problems since that happened. I was so used to seeing water on the floor and grabbing the mop every so many days, I still come out to my kitchen and look down, nothing. Also, now I open the refrigerator, and I can see. It's working.

I have had people ask me about American Home Shield and I said I really like the service. I talked about how I called and explained everything that was going on with my appliances and how the lady that I was talking to was very nice. I've already recommended American Home Shield to other people and they said, "Well, I ain't never looked at that." I said, "Yeah, I was really impressed and pleased with the service that I got. And the repair person was excellent." Because sometimes companies will send somebody out, and then I'm pissed off because they don't tell you what they're doing. They do a few things until you're all set, then you have problems later.

Original review: May 14, 2022

I called AHS for my disposal that wasn't working and they sent a contractor out. They've always helped me so I like working with them. I even give their number to other people and a lot of people is getting their warranty for their appliances because they are a good company.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Our real estate agent talked us into American Home Shield for our two properties and it's been nothing but a nightmare. They will send people to repair an item for $75, but when we had a microwave that the GE repair service said could not be repaired because the part was no longer available and told us they were recommending to AHS that the unit be replaced. AHS ran us around for almost a month, through at least TEN phone calls, acting as if they never got the report from GE, saying repeatedly we would receive an email and we never did, delaying, delaying, delaying. In more than 60 years of life, I have had some scams run on me, but nothing like this - under a veil of legitimacy. We finally threw up our hands and cancelled our policies - after they made us wait on hold for almost half an hour, of course. PLEASE do not use these people. You will regret it if you ever need any covered item replaced.

Tim,

Original review: May 13, 2022

I contacted American Home Shield (AHS) on March 22, 2022 for an issue with my AC. They notified me that a company called ATR was assigned to me. On March 24 a tech came to my house and hosed out my outside unit and said that was all it needed. I told him I was still not getting any cool air from my vents. He said since it was a cool day and wait until it was hotter outside. I did and it never got cooler.

On April 25, I call AHS and told them my AC was still not working. There wasn’t a contractor assigned to my case until 2 days later on April 27. Once I got the notice I found it was the same company who came on March 24. I called ATR and was told they couldn’t come until almost 2 weeks later on May 7. I then called AHS and told them ATR said they couldn’t come for almost 2 weeks so they assigned a company called Air Force One. I had asked AHS not to send Air Force One again because of previous poor service from them in addition to the fact they told me on a previous visit on my downstairs furnace that I needed to have some of my ductwork redone and it wasn’t covered by AHS. They said the cost would be over $1,000 for the work. I had another company come at my expense and they said the work wasn’t needed.

On April 29, Air Force Once came and determined my compressor was bad and said they were going to write up for a replacement. While the tech was there, he told me there was going to need to be a lot of other work done that would be out of pocket from me and the cost would be around $5,000 but they did financing. I told him over the years I have replaced units and never needed to do the work they said I would need to do to replace an existing system.

I called AHS on April 30 and asked what was going to be done and was told they were waiting on the report from Air Force One. I called AHS back on May 2 and asked what was going to be done and was told they were still waiting on Air Force One to send in their report. I called back again on May 3 a couple of times and told AHS rep called Air Force One again and they finally sent over their report 4 days later but listed there was $5,000 in out of pocket expenses that AHS wouldn’t cover. I told the AHS rep about my belief Air Force One wasn’t be honest and what they were stating needed done as out of pocket was required.

I told the rep I have replaced systems in the past and never had issues that Air Force One was saying needed done. As an example, they said I needed duct work, a new thermostat (which I just replaced a few months ago), new drain pan, new drain line, new copper line, new electrical, etc. I actually can have a new system installed for less than Air Force One is saying would be out of pocket expenses.

The rep then said they could get me a cash out offer and I could have someone else do the work. They I would get it within 24 to 48 hours. I called back on the 4th to see if they had an updated since my AC hasn’t been working for weeks but they said I had to give it up to 48 hours. I called back on the 5th which was 48 hours later and was told then never got anything from the cash-out department and was missing some data, They said they would check back into it again and I would have to wait another 24 to 48 hours. I called back on the 6th and asked for an update but told by your escalation department I needed to give it up to 48 hours and I told them I had already been waiting for many days. I called back again on the 7th, now 48 hours for the second time. I was told again that they were still waiting of the cash=out department and they were still missing data and would resubmit again and I would have to wait 24 to 48 hours again.

I spoke to another member of the escalation department and told them I was unhappy and wanted to speak to a Manager but told they couldn’t connect me to a Manager. When I spoke to a member of the escalation department a guy told me he spoke to someone in the cash-out department and he would call me back the next day with an offer. It has been over 2 days from that call and he never called me back or did I get an offer.

I called yesterday May 11 again and was told the still is an issue with the cash-out department and I needed to wait. The lady said she had talked with the guy I spoke with them a couple days earlier who never called me back who she said was working on the case and she would have him call me back last night but yet again that didn’t happen.

I don’t know any more than I did over 10 days ago when I was told I would hear back from them in 24 to 48 hours. When I call AHS I am lied to and have been without an AC for almost a month now. Sometimes when I have spoken with and AHS rep, I have to listen to a rooster in the background while I am being lied to. I have been patient and now telling as many real estate company reps about the service I have received from AHS. The one I purchased my warranty with told me he no longer recommends AHS to his clients because of issues like mine and AHS poor service.

Craig,

Are you still in need of assistance?

Original review: May 13, 2022

I decided to get American Home Shield because being single, and I couldn't afford not to have it. Sometimes I feel it's high, but it's cheaper to have it than not. I like not having so many expenses should something break down. I just have a certain amount to pay and I know what is out of pocket. Also, someone would call me in one or two days to set up repairs or he would come out here in two days. It's very easy. I can cook on my oven sometimes and other times it's not showing. So, the tech is still working on that. He asked me to call him back when it's out again because it's a hard fix when it's on.

Original review: May 13, 2022

The fan motor went out on the condenser and after I hit the submit button on American Home Shield’s website to submit the claim, I heard from the contractor in 10 minutes. And they were there in four hours to fix the issue.

Original review: May 13, 2022

The outlet on the pool and the pump weren't working and when I put in the work order, it couldn’t be done because it's not attached to the house. But the contractors from American Home Shield have been good as well as my experience. If people own a home, they should consider getting AHS.

Original review: May 13, 2022

The guy who came out for the garage door was terrific and extremely professional. We haven't had a garage in a while. Our previous home had the garage converted into a family room. So he was really cool showing me the maintenance I need to do. I highly recommend them.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Overall, I'm not that satisfied with the HVAC services for my air conditioning. I've got an older unit so refrigerant is hard to get. But I'm taking the brunt of that cost for filling the unit now. Because right now, I have to pay over $1,000 for a technician to come out and refill my unit with refrigerant after they replaced the coils on it. I just think that's an excessive expense when I'm making monthly payments to them and I only use the plan once every 18 months. I'd like to see AHS take responsibility for more of the cost of supplies.

One time, a technician came out and replaced my garbage disposal, but it took two calls. With the first technicians that came out, they told me nothing was wrong with my garbage disposal. But I told them it was leaking. Eventually, it quit working and the motor burned out. So, I had to make another call and pay another $100 service fee for them to come out and replace it. But overall, AHS provides a good service.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Our air conditioner unit had a leak. When we submitted a claim for it, it was great. The response of the vendor was fast. They were supposed to come out on a Friday. They put me on the waiting list. I called on Monday, they came out Tuesday. They replaced the valve and it's operating well now. My mom recommended I get the coverage and I’m glad I did. I will recommend AHS.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I’ve been very pleased with American Home Shield. I called them recently and logged a ticket for a yearly maintenance that we like to do. Getting into the hot months, I usually request a service for freon, etc. A contractor came and did the check. I needed freon and they put freon in.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I opened up a ticket for a leak in the basement and my faucet. That was the initial issue, but when the repair people were trying to fix my faucet, one of my shutoff valves was not even working. So, they had to do more work. My experience has always been good with the people that American Home Shield sends. However, my experience when calling them has been somewhat annoying sometimes. It's easy to get through, but the people that pick up the phone keep going back and forth.

Original review: May 13, 2022

When you have a claim, you can call American Home Shield or you can go online. I go online and it says "submit a request". You hit yes and for what property. If it's air conditioning, heat, water, or whatever it is, you check that off and you send it. Usually, within 24 hours, you're contacted by somebody to do the fix. But what they don't tell you is they might tell you it’s next week when they can come to fix it. I had a water leak and it was nine days before someone could get out there. You're looking at a week most of the time for a lot of stuff.

American Home Shield doesn't necessarily give you the service that they promised you on the phone. But the advantage is you pay the $75 and techs come out and they fix or replace. I have rentals and the whole heat and air conditioning unit in one of them went up. Techs went out there to fix one piece and they found something on the other piece. They replaced it. It cost me about $1,500 because they don't tell you about connecting to ducts, rewiring, and some little petty things they threw in there. Overall, it was about $7,500 to $8,500 a unit. When it comes to the techs, it's not the same one all the time. I've had Sears come out. I also had one boy that was young and he did not know stuff about the hot water on demand. I knew more than him because I had fooled with the unit a little bit. The rest of the techs were very professional and nice.

I also had a claim for my refrigerator and that was the killer. My refrigerator started not cooling on November the 4th last year. American Home Shield sent six technicians out. The first guy that came out said it needed to be replaced, which was probably about $2,600. American Home Shield said I didn't have a contract with them. I talked to two or three people about that. They said it was a mistake. The rest of the techs came out. They would walk in and say they don't do sealed units.

I called American Home Shield and I complained and I cussed them. This was over the major holidays. Customer service was extremely difficult to understand. After the sixth one, I said I was going to get the unit fixed and asked if they were going to pay for it. The guy that I talked to said to find out the price and submit it to them. I did that and called back. I got somebody else. You can never talk to the same person. She said, “No, let us try one more time.” I said, “I can't let you try one more time. I need my refrigerator.” I called my guy and he came out for $725. I submitted the invoice to American Home Shield and they said I didn't have the authorization to have the refrigerator fixed. I said, “You couldn't get my refrigerator fixed in 10 weeks over two major holidays.” In the end, I didn't get reimbursed for that.

The other thing with American Home Shield is they won't let you talk to a supervisor. A call is not escalated. Instead, somebody will call you back. I asked if the person who called back if he was a supervisor and he was not but he said he could help. What you end up doing is, if you have an issue, you tell the same story every time someone calls. The same person does not call you back.

George,

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: May 13, 2022

I had two things, my washer and water heater. It's easy to submit the claim. With the washer, whoever that vendor was was wonderful. That guy was wonderful. He came on time, stated the issue, what it could be, and did all his testing. He identified the problem, said it was this, and he rescheduled the appointment for a week later. He cleaned up after himself well. We were out of use of a washer for a week, but we dealt with it. And when he came back, he came back at the time of his appointment, and he replaced the part. It looked like it wasn't that part. He identified the issue. After ongoing tests, he found the issue and he replaced that part, and now the washer works great.

But getting the correct vendor is bad because we had problems with our water heater before. That vendor for the plumber constantly kept canceling. I would see that he would be on his way when I checked the status of him coming out, but it kept getting pushed back by hour. All of a sudden, he couldn't come out. He's bad. We were over two months without hot water. It took that vendor that long to get it. And when he put it in, he didn't do it right because less than a month later, the water heater thing blew up. So, we ended up replacing the hoses ourselves. So, we had a bad experience with that water heater and the vendor that American Home Shield provided us, even after we told them of the number of complaints about them with the Better Business Bureau, AHS still continued to do business with that plumber.

Also, they were supposed to replace a comparable water heater or better. But they gave a much less water heater. Also, they were supposed to refund my service call for that water heater. They haven't done that. I told them I still haven't got that refund because I ended up doing it myself.

Warren,

Original review: May 12, 2022

I had platinum coverage with AHS... I had a water line near the hot water heater, start to leak. The request service, paid $100 -- contractor arrived - accessed. Worked was denied, I ended up paying for the repair myself, plus premiums, plus the $100 fee to AHS.. So this ended up costing me more than if did not have a policy at all. After the contractor left, I called AHS to discuss what happened and request a refund of my $100 or the $300 I paid the contractor. Both was denied... They used some type of technicality to get out of paying for the service call. Very bad company - I am cancelling my policy, I would not recommend doing business with them.

The people I was talking to on the phone did not speak English very well. I think I was going to a call center somewhere outside of the United States. Very difficult communication, and these people are the ones who are making the decision to deny the claim. On the platinum coverage, leaking pipes is specifically covered, until the contractor arrives. Resolution they offered, they would select a different plumber and send out for a 2nd opinion, but if the AHS selected plumber did not agree with me, then I would be billed for a 2nd opinion, causing more expense on the problem already... Very bad company.... Do not waste your money with them.

Jimmy,

We do appreciate your feedback and apologize that this issue has caused you to cancel your warranty. It is not our intent to cause a difficult experience. Have a great day!

Original review: May 12, 2022

The pool filter sprung a leak down at the bottom of the filter. Xact Pool & Spa came by and they did the work they needed to do. They knew what the problem was when they came out, so they had the equipment already. It took a couple of hours to install the new filter and they did an excellent job.

Original review: May 12, 2022

We called American Home Shield to get somebody out to take a look at the AC. It took a few days for the contractor to come out. But the guy was super easy to work with. He came out fully prepared and then told me that there was nothing wrong with our system. I have another claim when my refrigerator icemaker stopped working. But I'm still waiting on a date. They called me yesterday and said that they had the part in and they were gonna plan it for Friday, but I'm out of town so they're gonna call me back on Monday next week. But other than that, I have no issues.

Original review: May 12, 2022

American Home Shield is fabulous. We had a refrigerator problem about three weeks ago and they sent someone out local who diagnosed it within a short time, and he was spot-on. Within two days, water was coming out of the bottom of the furnace and AHS sent someone out. It was just lines that got plugged. Those two things would have been a major hassle for me but AHS addressed them right away and had very good conclusions. I didn't anticipate I'd ever use it because it's an expensive home and it's eight years old. The guy who owned the house had it so, I decided to get it. I'm an old guy and I have never had any kind of warranties but AHS has been great.

Original review: May 12, 2022

My dishwasher broke. The techs came and fixed it. It broke three weeks later and they came out again to fix it. However, I went a month and a half without a dishwasher. They should have called somebody else. I had to keep on calling for them to call another company. They had Sears come out the second time.

Original review: May 12, 2022

We had part of our water heater system burst recently. Silva Plumbing contacted me the next morning and they came that same day. I sent them some photos and the tech was able to diagnose it over the phone. He was also able to get the part and bring it with him to fix the same day. Sometimes, it's just a little frustrating when claims are submitted with AHS. We have an open issue with my oven. The first contractor came out. Whatever he wrote on the paperwork, he determined that it was a pre-existing problem. But nobody knows when something cracks on an appliance. I’ve had lots of things go bad within the months of owning my home. So, I had to go through an appeal to get another one out. Now, we’ve been waiting on parts for six months. It isn’t all American Home Shield’s fault. But, sometimes, the system for sending out contractors and claims and approvals can be a little bit flawed.

American Home Shield Company Information