5x Award Winner
Selected for having one of the highest satisfaction rates for Best Claims Handling, Best Coverage Options, Best Customer Service, Best Technicians and Best Value for Price
4.1(101,916)
Author pictureAuthor picture
Author picture
Written by
Author picture
Edited by

$29.99 to $69.99
Monthly premium cost
48 states (not Alaska, Hawaii and New York City)
Availability
30 days
Labor guarantee
$100 or $125
Service fee
5x Award Winner

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty provider that offers service plans throughout the contiguous United States. It has three home warranty plan options, which range in price from $29.99 to $89.99 per month with either a $100 or $125 service fee. Its plans cover items like rust, insufficient maintenance and faulty repairs, which are often excluded from this type of coverage. All plans require a contract.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Three plan options
    • Flexible service fees
    • High coverage limits
    • Covers rust, corrosion and sediment damage
    Cons
    • Expensive service fees
    • Not available in Alaska, Hawaii or New York City

Over 100k reviews since 2012

Stars Rating

• 56%
    • 19%
    • 12%
    • 5%
    • 8%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
      Claims HandlingSales & Marketing

Reviewed July 4, 2024

The company at its core is a scam. You pay for months and years and as soon as you need to use the service they dispute and drag their feet on any claim. Avoid at all costs, you would be better suited to put the monthly premium away and deal with issues from savings. If your refrigerator or air conditioner unit breaks, are you really willing to sit and wait weeks for their *possible* resolution?

Pinned

Hi Marjorie, I'm so sorry for the problems you've been experiencing. Please reach out to us at consumeraffairs@ahs.com so we can discuss this further. Sincerely, Mariah

Customer ServiceTechPrice

Reviewed July 4, 2024

Hated this company. They slowly increased me yearly contract in 3 years. My last $74.99/ with a $125 service charge for repair calls… Takes 3 days to get a appt scheduled. They sent some extremely crappy technicians which has serious bad reviews. Make sure you cancel 30 days prior to contract ending otherwise they will renew with a price increase. Extremely difficult to cancel. I had to call 3 separate times and long conversation only to call back 2 days later and still had not canceled contract!!!! I won’t use them again. I decided to go with a different company. Hopeful I’ll have better success.

Pinned

Hi Trudie, I'm so sorry for the problems you've been experiencing. Please reach out to us at consumeraffairs@ahs.com so we can discuss this further. Sincerely, Mariah

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverageRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed July 3, 2024

It's pretty easy to submit claims to American Home Shield. But there’s a language barrier. I find it to be very easy to just file the claim online. When you call in and speak with the representatives, sometimes they do not understand the concept of what you're trying to get over to them as far as trying to explain the situation. I explained exactly what my AC unit was and what my unit looked like. What made me upset about that particular situation was that I was pretty straightforward and honest with them on describing over the telephone what my unit looked like, and they told me that it was covered under my warranty. But when the CasMech Heating showed up, they told me that they don't work on this type of unit. There was nothing I could do. They just turned around and left.

I had to call back American Home Shield and fight with them about getting my service fee refunded to me. They told me that they could not get another person out here to service me because the type of unit that I have, because it looks like a window unit, that's not covered under warranty. So it's still broken. But American Home Shield is great for other things. Recently, I had a garbage disposal break and that claim was seamless. So they have hit-and-misses.

Customer ServiceCoverageTechPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 3, 2024

I filed a request a couple of times to American Home Shield. Everything has been pretty good. Everything is quick. They respond fairly quickly once I put the request in. When I had a issue with my refrigerator not really cooling, I put in a request through the online portal and then they called me within 24 hours. Within three days, somebody came out. The contractor diagnosed the problem within less than 15 minutes and ordered the part for the refrigerator. Then within seven days, they came back out and put the part in for the refrigerator. During that time, I was getting text messages stating that, "We ordered the part. Your part has come in. Somebody's gonna come out.” Also, they called at least 30 minutes before they got here to let us know that they were on the way. They were really on the ball.

I've always used their online portal. It's very straightforward and self-explanatory. There was something with plumbing that American Home Shield didn’t cover. So we had to call somebody else for that piece. But other than that, they've been really good with coverage. The deductible price is $75 for somebody to come out. I've had a different home warranty place previously and they covered almost the same thing and their deductible is a little bit less.

Pinned

Hi Rheanisha, We appreciate the fantastic review and are glad we could be of service. If you have any further needs or questions, please reach out to us again. Sincerely, Mariah

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServiceClaims Handling

Reviewed July 3, 2024

I carried a warranty with AHS for 10 years because I owned homes with aging AC systems. I’m 99% certain that I never made a claim that required more than my deductible to fix until now. My AC went out 9 days ago and it is July in Kansas which means the humidity is basically the same as the outside temperature. I have called several times each day and they are still unable to give me a timeline of when it will be fixed. The temperature is an actual health risk right now, so I’ve had to vacate my home and the humidity is murdering my hardwood floors and home office equipment. They won’t even let you talk to a supervisor when you ask. Just put you on hold for three minutes and then tell you the supervisors are too busy. You’re better off saving the monthly premium and handling equipment problems yourself.

Pinned

Hi Kris, I'm so sorry for the problems you've been experiencing. Please reach out to us at consumeraffairs@ahs.com so we can discuss this further. Sincerely, Mariah

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed July 3, 2024

I reported a broken AC on June 19th and still do not have working AC. I am in Phoenix area where the temperature has been 110 on average for the past 30 days, yesterday up to 119 in our neighborhood, this week expected to be 115-116 degrees. This is unsafe and unhealthy (I have had multiple asthma attacks and my husband - in his 70's - has experienced lethargy and headaches). In addition, because of the high temps in the house for weeks now, we have lost pantry food, medication that has gotten too hot, and good wine. We have had to find somewhere else to sleep, and as a 100% remote worker, I have struggled to keep my cool working each day in the ridiculous heat of the house. The average temp inside our house has been 95 degrees for 2 weeks now. When talking to AHS customer service team multiple times, I have been told it is an inconvenience and nothing they can do to speed it up.

The process of AHS requiring they order the part - rather than the AC company providing - to get the cheap price they desire is what has caused the delay. Multiple AC companies could have fixed this 10 days ago. For what I have paid for the home warranty, I could have paid for this repair myself. I have asked to be escalated and told they don't do that, that escalation will tell me the same line "I'm sorry for the inconvenience but the part has been ordered". Finally, yesterday, after first being told there is no manager to talk to me, the rep said she would have a supervisor call me which never happened; I believe it was her ploy to get me off the phone. I have used home warranties for decades, but will no longer support their use and especially American Home Shield.

Pinned

Hi Jill, I'm so sorry for the problems you've been experiencing. Please reach out to us at consumeraffairs@ahs.com so we can discuss this further. Sincerely, Mariah

Customer ServiceClaims Handling

Reviewed July 3, 2024

I usually call American Home Shield for my claims, and the customer service people have been very good. I'm very happy with them. Recently, I had a hood over the stove that didn't work. It’s a very old hood, and it was not fixed. They couldn't replace it either, so they gave me a check in order for me to try to figure it out. AHS handled it well.

Pinned

Hi Cindy, We appreciate the fantastic review and are glad we could be of service. If you have any further needs or questions, please reach out to us again. Sincerely, Mariah

Reviewed July 3, 2024

Awful. Created a service request to have my AC fixed. A month and four visits later and nothing has been done to fix my issue. It is currently summer in California. The inside of my home is over 100 degrees. Once the temperature exceeds 100 degrees the thermostat just reads "HI." They have no sense of urgency, nor do they seem to understand the severity of the issue. Customer service representatives are useless. Worst insurance company I've ever dealt with. Completely unacceptable.

Pinned

Hi Nicole, I'm so sorry for the problems you've been experiencing. Please reach out to us at consumeraffairs@ahs.com so we can discuss this further. Sincerely, Mariah

Customer ServiceCoverageTechPrice

Reviewed July 3, 2024

I have three houses I have American Home Shield on. I like that it gives me a sense of security that I know I have something out there that I can just call up and my issue can be taken care of. I had an AC that didn't work. I just told them what the problem was and what unit I had for the AC, and I asked when they can get somebody out. AC Rescue reached back to me within 24 hours and they came out the following day. I wasn't there myself, but they repaired the problem and fixed it. I suggest that everybody should get American Home Shield's coverage. It's a cheap insurance. They should go ahead and get it. ACs and heating units cost a lot of money and that could save you a great deal of financial headaches.

Pinned

Hi William, We appreciate the fantastic review and are glad we could be of service. If you have any further needs or questions, please reach out to us again. Sincerely, Mariah

CoverageTechRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed July 2, 2024

My last thing I did with American Home Shield, I wasn't pleased because from my understanding when I read the policy, it looked like it was covered in the contract, but they said it was not. I didn't agree with it. I had a gas line replaced. I had to come out of pocket. AHS did not cover anything. But the service has been okay. The techs have been great. Three years ago, the AC's condenser kept grounding out. The contractor had to do upgrades to the evaporator coil. We had to wait on the part. But once it part came in, they came right on out, were a couple of hours in a day, and fixed it. They were nice guys.

Tech

Reviewed July 2, 2024

My last claim was for a microwave that was catching on fire. The tech replaced a plate on the side and it worked fine. I was pleased because it's a $1,100 microwave.

Pinned

Hi Julia, We appreciate the fantastic review and are glad we could be of service. If you have any further needs or questions, please reach out to us again. Sincerely, Mariah

Claims HandlingTech

Reviewed July 2, 2024

The last time I used American Home Shield, they were okay. It was a clothes dryer claim and it took a while to get it done, but they tried real hard and they did their part. But the repair man didn't quite get it done properly and for about a week after he fixed it, it was bad again. We replaced the dryer.

Pinned

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I'd like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. Please know that our team will be using your feedback to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Sincerely,

Stacy

CoverageTechPriceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed July 2, 2024

American Home Shield has been keeping up my other appliances good. If I have a choice of leaving them to go to someone else, I would stay with them and recommend them to others instead. It got tough during the COVID season and because of the lack of materials or parts and appliances. There was a big shortage. So, it took two and a half years for me to get my microwave. But we got that straightened out a few months ago.

The first year, AHS took care of everything. But after that, I had a problem with my septic system and that was when I found out that AHS didn't brief me on the fact that I didn't have that warranty for everything except for the first year. So, they didn't cover my septic system repair and it cost me out of my pocket over $2,500 just because I wasn't briefed in it. I went on and got what I needed on my coverage, which they could have let me know what was going on with that. Other than that, American Home Shield sent a fantastic technician out there to fix my air conditioning and it has been doing great.

Pinned

Hi James, We appreciate the fantastic review and are glad we could be of service. If you have any further needs or questions, please reach out to us again. Sincerely, Mariah

Reviewed July 2, 2024

I didn't like that American Home Shield gives 30 days to do a call back. But within that 30 days, I didn't notice that there was an issue. When I called them back, it was two months later. And that was only because my AC blew hot air. I decided to go up in the attic and try to see what was going on. That was when I realized that the duct had come off. When I called to let AHS know, “You gotta send them out ‘cause they didn't seal it correctly and they missed the whole side of it and it pulled off,” they told me I had to pay another fee to bring somebody else. I said, “No. You need to get the person that worked on it to come back and complete it.” It's not natural wear and tear because it has been less than 90 days. They just didn't seal one side of it and it came off.

I had to insist on speaking to a supervisor because they kept on telling me I had to pay another 125 to send somebody. I said, “I'm not paying another 125 for a job that wasn't completed correctly.” At first, they told me, “You’re past the 30-day period for a call back.” I would have to pay. And after going back and forth a bit, they decided that, “Okay. We'll waive it this time.” But in that situation where if you had a company that come out to complete a job and they didn't do it properly, and as a result of that, they had to come back because they made a mistake, we shouldn't have to pay another call-out fee because that's the company's error. So, they worked it out for me. But that should be something that is looked into as far as the policy. Other than that, I love AHS. I refer people to them all the time when they ask.

Reviewed July 2, 2024

The last claim had to do with some leaking pipes. I called American Home Shield because the policy says that they cover leaks and pipes. When the contractor that came out saw it, they said that I had to repipe the entire house. He believed there were leaks in the main pipe that went underneath the house, and because of that, he couldn't complete all the work. But there were leaks that were accessible, and they didn't address those, so I ended up canceling the service. AHS didn't uphold the policy of making any repairs to the pipes that leaked. AHS tried to resolve it by offering to send another contractor to see if that would be a differing opinion. But each time, I would have to sit there and wait around for four hours. People work. They don't just sit home, waiting for them to come around. And oftentimes, they cancel.

The whole process sounds good on paper, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Because oftentimes, the individuals don't have the power to fix it. They have to go through a process. I had one claim for an HVAC, and I knew the part that needed to be changed, and the contractor had it on their truck, but they couldn't do it because AHS had to send them the part. So, it's not set up for addressing issues right away. It's too much bureaucracy. When it was simple fixes, it worked. But when it became anything that would cost some money, it slowed down the process.

Sincerely,

Stacy

Customer ServiceTechPrice

Reviewed July 2, 2024

American Home Shield's agents are very professional on the phone. But the biggest difficulty is understanding them. It's hard to communicate. They don't know our area. So, they would send someone from Phoenix to do something up here, which could be an hour and a half away when we have plumbers right here. The people from Phoenix were frustrated because it's a long drive, and it's way out of their wheelhouse to come up here to see us. But they were always professional.

When I try to tell AHS, "Why are you sending me someone from Phoenix?" They don't know and understand that. It would be nice if they could get a handle on local vendors. And not having the same vendor twice to me is ridiculous. Because if I had my neighborhood plumber who knows my house, my neighborhood, and what is going on, they could save themselves a lot of money. I have an air conditioning guy who lives in our neighborhood, and he's very good. And last time, AHS had someone come from Cottonwood, which was 45 minutes away and booked out for three weeks. It was the middle of summer. It was 105 degrees. I said, "But what about Jungle Cat? He's down the street. He knows my system." It was difficult to get AHS to change that. Also, they keep raising the price. We pay $100 a month and a $100 fee when we call someone out. When we started with them, it was $35 a month. I don't need them. I could just pay cash for the same service.

Reviewed July 2, 2024

I have used their service several times. I've had claims for the fridge, air condition, fridge, and oven and it was all done in a timely manner. The techs have been all professional and they've done a good job. The service is good because, if I had to do it any other way, it would have cost me several hundred more bucks.

Pinned

Hi Willie, We appreciate the fantastic review and are glad we could be of service. If you have any further needs or questions, please reach out to us again. Sincerely, Mariah

CoveragePrice

Reviewed July 2, 2024

The first experience, six months ago, was the heater. American Home Shield fixed it. When one of the items fails, the insurance would help me to cover the most expensive items. The lady came out with some codes, and I had to pay $900 for the heater. I said, "Lady, I'm paying more." I paid for the heater. And the guy did the repair. So, I paid $1,000. She came out with those bunch of things. I said, "It doesn't make sense to me." But I went over it. The second one was the AC. I said, "That's it. No more." I'm very disappointed with what happened.

AHS sent me a tech and did the inspection. He went up there and looked at what happened. He gave me an estimate. AHS checked it. And the tech would charge me for the compressor, was a failure on that one, and for the charging, which they tried to get me for $2,000. I made my own research. It would only take six pounds, and each pound is $100. It's 600. So, he tried to charge me for the compressor and for the charge. I said, "Why? I got insurance with AHS. What’s the sense to have them?” Since it felt it wasn't proper, I asked for a second opinion. I called a different guy and he went to check. It was two fried wires. He replaced those. And now I got my AC working.

AHS said in case I wanted to keep my insurance with them, they would only give me $100 for the next service. I said, "You know what? I don't need it. So I would like to cancel my subscription with you guys. And I'm really disappointed with this situation." I run a customer service. I'm in a shop. In case one of my technicians misdiagnosed anything on the car, I wouldn't charge the customer. I would give that money back. That's the way AHS should take care of it. But I asked the guy, he said, "No. I'm sorry." I said, "You know what? I ain't gonna deal anymore with you guys."

I got insurance not to come out with big money, and thought it would help me. At the end, I would have to come out with all the cash to pay for everything. It's not worth it. I pay a car insurance, and the insurance would tell me, "You know what? You got an accident, but you gotta pay everything, half of this," so what is the insurance for? It's the same thing. It does not cover anything.

Pinned

Hi Juan, I'm so sorry for the problems you've been experiencing. Please reach out to us at consumeraffairs@ahs.com so we can discuss this further. Sincerely, Mariah

Customer ServicePriceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed July 2, 2024

I requested service to repair my central air conditioner. AHS assigned a local company to come out to service both of my units. After the first visit, the tech indicated that both units were repaired but two weeks later they had to respond to the same issue. After three trips and a second opinion I had to come out of my pocket $4000 dollars. Overall AHS is expensive, slow to respond to request and no regard for their customers. I would not recommend AHS for your home warranty service.

Pinned

Hi Tim, I'm so sorry for the problems you've been experiencing. Please reach out to us at consumeraffairs@ahs.com so we can discuss this further. Sincerely, Mariah

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed July 2, 2024

American Home Shield is too damn expensive. I had a problem with a dial on my oven, and somebody came to fix it. And I have continued to have issues. There's something wrong with the dial. It needs to be replaced. I'm hesitant to call AHS again because every time I call them, it costs me $100 on top of the very expensive premium that I pay them monthly. I would advise others to try to find somewhere less expensive for the same services. AHS has consistently raised my monthly premium since I started with them. It's now up to $100 a month, which is ridiculous.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 2, 2024

Plymwr Plumbing canceled on me less than 24 hours multiple times. I put in a complaint through American Home Shield, and then, all of a sudden, they were dedicated to getting here on time. My experience with American Home Shield has been smooth outside of the hired company being flaky.

Reviewed July 2, 2024

Recently, American Home Shield sent DNG Appliances out. They had to replace a washing machine. I already told my sister about AHS. She's on it, too.

Reviewed July 2, 2024

My claim with American Home Shield is still ongoing. I'm just a little disappointed because my air conditioning went out yesterday and no one can come look at it until Friday. So, I don't know if they can fix it that day or if they will have to order parts. Other than that, I had other experiences and the warranty has been helpful.

Pinned

Hi Sarah, We appreciate the fantastic review and are glad we could be of service. If you have any further needs or questions, please reach out to us again. Sincerely, Mariah

Reviewed July 2, 2024

When I called American Home Shield, my air conditioner wasn't working. It wasn't pumping out cool air. The mechanic came in and told me that they needed a new part. He told me that the program that I'm in with Home Shield covered it. And then, they called me back and the woman told me they were sending me someone out to fix it. Two days later, they came and fixed it. The guy showed me the piece that was needed and it was done. He went and looked at my air conditioner upstairs. He searched everything. I found nothing wrong with him. He was pleasant and thorough.

It's just they called me after to tell me that I had to pay for something about the piece that they replaced. I asked them, "Well, why didn't you tell me this before you actually went in and fixed it? Then I would have known my options whether to pay it or not. You actually fixed it and didn't tell me that I owe you money." I didn't think that was right. I asked to speak to his supervisor. They, in turn, called it an inconvenience for the phone call and they gave me 50% back of my downpayment and told me I didn't have to worry about it.

Pinned

HI Walter, We appreciate the fantastic review and are glad we could be of service. If you have any further needs or questions, please reach out to us again. Sincerely, Mariah

TechPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 2, 2024

Valley Appliance came out for my dryer. The door hinge had broken. The techs were great. They were quick and efficient and got the job done. I've told all my kids that they need to get American Home Shield on their houses. We love them, they're amazing, and they've worked with us very well.

Pinned

Hi Debbie, We appreciate the fantastic review and are glad we could be of service. If you have any further needs or questions, please reach out to us again. Sincerely, Mariah

Customer ServicePriceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed July 2, 2024

AHS raises their contract price and their service call price every year and the majority of their providers (at least in my area) are notorious for no calling and no showing after they schedule a broad 8am to 5pm service window constantly forcing you to miss work to get anything repaired. Their customer service is god awful and they refuse to do anything to reimburse you for all the lost work time trying to get the simplest repairs done. I would say stay away from them at all costs.

Pinned

Hi Jethro, I'm so sorry for the problems you've been experiencing. Please reach out to us at consumeraffairs@ahs.com so we can discuss this further. Sincerely, Mariah

Reviewed July 2, 2024

I've had a couple of things done thru AHS and everything's been pretty decent for the most part. My aeration system and a couple of valves have been replaced on the house. All of the techs have been pretty good and I received service from them within 24 to 48 hours of filing my claim. There was one time when it took a little longer, but that was because of the situation in getting them the aeration pump. Other than that, I wish the deductible is lower, but the price is well worth it when things have all worked out.

Pinned

Hi Niko, We appreciate the fantastic review and are glad we could be of service. If you have any further needs or questions, please reach out to us again. Sincerely, Mariah

Reviewed July 2, 2024

I had a hot water heater leak. I made a claim by phone with AHS and the turnaround time was 24 hours.

Pinned

Hi John, We appreciate the fantastic review and are glad we could be of service. If you have any further needs or questions, please reach out to us again. Sincerely, Mariah

Tech

Reviewed July 2, 2024

The icemaker on my refrigerator quit. I called AHS and told them what was wrong. They sent somebody out who fixed it. The techs were also very polite and professional.

Pinned

Hi Laura, We appreciate the fantastic review and are glad we could be of service. If you have any further needs or questions, please reach out to us again. Sincerely, Mariah

Claims HandlingPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 2, 2024

North Pole came out for my fridge that wasn't cooling anything or making ice. They were awful. They told me they were putting a compressor into my refrigerator. They were there for 20 minutes and once American Home Shield sent out Sears to come look at their work, they never replaced the compressor. They didn't even do anything. Sears let me know that to replace a compressor it takes two to three hours to complete. North Pole was a fraud. I had another claim come and they declined me as a customer like it was my fault. After dealing with it for three months, American Home Shield cut me a check. But the turnaround time to get this resolved was horrible. It was three months of fighting and calling them almost every day.

Pinned

Dear Lindsay, I'm so sorry for the problems you've been experiencing. Please reach out to us at consumeraffairs@ahs.com so we can discuss this further. Sincerely, Mariah

American Home Shield Company Information