4.2/5 (11098 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I've been happy with American Home Shield. It gives me great peace of mind. I never feel like I'm getting upsold. The repair people who come are gonna get paid to fix the job. I had an HVAC problem and the repair guys for American Home Shield couldn't come out for three days. It was a holiday. I called these guys I used at my old house and they said, "It looks like it's the motor. If you're going to do the motor, you might want to do the unit.” The repairman through American Home Shield came out and said, “It's just this little piece. Let me just replace it.” I asked how much would that be if it wasn't through American Home Shield. He said is was $200. This other company I'd been using was trying to talk me into getting a whole new unit for many thousands of dollars.

The most recent claim was the toilet that when you flushed, some mechanism in the tank was spewing water up. The plumber came out fast. He was here 10 minutes, replaced the pieces in the toilet, and there's no problem now. His name's Jody, and he works for B.B. Lewis. He's the plumber who usually comes out. The owners come out as well. Jody's fantastic. We love him coming out.

I had an issue with my hot water heater. It was a Friday night when it started. They couldn't send anyone out till Monday because their repair people don't work on weekends. For something that's an emergency like a water heater spewing water, there should be an emergency backup company who can come out and do at least basic maintenance to stop the leak.

American Home Shield response

I am happy to hear that we were able to resolve your claim. Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance regarding your warranty.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

American Home Shield is great. I don't have to worry about finding somebody to get a problem fixed. I just call them, they set it up, and it only costs me $75. When the air wasn't working, they set up an appointment with a company a few days later, and they came out and fixed it.

American Home Shield response

We are grateful for the time that you've taken to share you AHS experience. Please let us know if you need any assistance in regards to your warranty. Have a great week.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I used to live in California and I was with American Home Shield there and they pissed me off. If I have premium things in my home that I'm insuring, when they go to repair them, they want to repair them with the basic. In subsequent years, they've added where it's like a replacement. I'm expecting them, if there's a problem, that they would replace it with like kind. They didn't do that for me. But they started to change their policies and I felt better about it, so I came back. I've had good experiences with them.

Recently, one of the thermostat zones wasn't coming on when it's supposed to. It would say it's 80 degrees in the room when I have the thermostat set at 77. The tech told me what he though the problem was and what the solution should be. But he had to submit his paperwork to the company and they would say yay or nay. The contractor got another appointment to come back and repair the issue.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

National Platinum Service came out for the microwave. They ordered the part twice. It was the wrong part. Then they said they had to replace the whole microwave. I got it approved. However, the guy only comes out on one day and I don't agree with that. If I'm not available that one day, then I don't get it done until weeks later when I am available on the one day that he says he can come out. But everything I’ve had that broke, American Home Shield has fixed it. It's been at a reasonable cost too.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

There was an issue with the garbage disposal. It was not grinding. American Home Shield sent someone out quickly to get it resolved, and it was resolved within minutes. The repairman was very prompt. It was a very pleasant experience. I've done two other claims for the refrigerator icemaker and for oven. They should still be open because we're waiting on a part for the oven as well as for the refrigerator. They were supposed to be changing out the icemaker as well as changing out the display on the oven top because the clock where you can see the temperature is messed up. But American Home Shield has been great. I like the service. The only thing that could be improved is being able to get status updates about how things are going. I received one status update for the icemaker and the oven, but I hadn't gotten anything else back since then. A little bit more communication would be great.

American Home Shield response

That's exactly what we like to hear. We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great weekend.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

American Home Shield has been great. They've repaired two refrigerators. They've replaced one that they couldn't repair. This is the second time they've come out to look at this air conditioner. It was set at 76, but the thermostat kept reading 79, 80. We called American Home Shield and the contractor who came was excellent. They found out what the problem was. They told us what it was and what they were gonna do, and they fixed it.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I'm not happy with American Home Shield. I kept two contracts. I have one for myself and one for my mother's home. I cancelled hers. I don't know why hers had gone up to $99 and mine's $77. I don't like the fact that I have to pay $75 for service fee and $77 a month for the service. Also, when someone comes out, I'm always having an issue. Someone has to come back and I don't get the same company back to fix whatever they may not have done.

I have an HVAC unit that has been in my home that's going on 18 years. They're just patching. I keep having issues with the system every summer. Every year, from the first year I moved in, I've had issues with the HVAC. That shouldn't be happening. I had to put out $1,500 for them to even fix it, which was too much money for me. I just retired in June and I'm on a fixed budget. Then the air went out last month and it took two weeks before I got somebody to come out. The first time the guy came out, he said he replaced something and it would take about 10 minutes. I saw a motor in his hand. Then I had to call them back the same day. He said, “Your air should be working in a couple of hours." But the air never worked so I called back. It's been inconvenient that we had to stay in hotels which they don't reimburse.

American Home Shield response

Hi Shirley, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I think very highly of American Home Shield. Their service is excellent. We love them. They've been super prompt. They send out people who have everything they need in the truck. They've fixed stuff on the spot. They leave with it fixed. I'm real pleased. But we did have one bad experience with a provider when we had an air conditioning failure. It was very strange because the thermometer just went black and I'd never seen that. It would run for a minute and then the whole system would shut down. American Home Shield sent out the guy. I wasn't there when he came out but he told my wife that we've got a wiring problem buried under the concrete that he couldn't solve and he was going to tell American Home Shield to send out an electrician.

I talked to American Home Shield on the phone a couple of days later. Meanwhile, we're in the hottest heat wave ever. It was 114 degrees and not even cooling off at night. The American Home Shield rep told me that the guy told them there was a thermostat buried under the concrete that he couldn't get to. No one puts a thermostat under the concrete. The American Home Shield guy said, “Well, if I send out another air guy, you're gonna pay another deductible if we come up with the same problem.” I said, “I tell you, send out another air guy, you can't come up with the same problem.”

American Home Shield sent out Tempest. That was the second time we saw Arthur. He fixed our other unit through American Home Shield in a minute. I was talking to him on the phone trying to explain the problem to him because I figured this was sort of a weird problem. Within 30 seconds, he said, “I know what it is. I'll have it fixed in a minute.” I told him, “No, no, I want to finish talking about it.” He said, “No, I know what it is. I'm gonna have it fixed in a minute. Yeah, I know what it is. I'm gonna have it fixed in a minute. It's in your attic.” So he showed up at the door and he asked my wife, “Where's your attic?” He walked up into the attic, got it fixed in a minute, and he left. Tempest is genius. You should put a halo on those guys and send them in where you want. Those guys are as good as it gets. But we were without air for 10 days in a brutal period of time. Luckily, I had a freestanding unit that kept us living through the thing.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

American Home Shield has always been very responsive for me. I'm happy with the service. I like the convenience of being able to call them and they know the specialists to come. I get a prompt response and I am getting what I'm paying for. The moment I think that it stops being cost-effective, I may choose not to renew. But for the moment, I've been satisfied.

In the first year, I used American Home Shield enough times that I thought it would be worthwhile for me to do it again. We had an air person come out twice. We had a plumber come three times. The plumbers and the people that have done appliance repairs have been fantastic. The so-so guy was the electrician, but it's tough to find good work these days in terms of speed. But that's not American Home Shield. That's the contractor’s fault.

There was one time that I got upset. I thought that when we signed up, I had paid for some extra services that included roof repair and electric repair. There was also an add-on septic system repair. When the time came for me to get a septic repair, it turned out I was not covered. When you do the add-on services, you should get a confirmation email of what you have. But I never received an email of what I signed up for. It turned out I never did that. I got upset thinking I had services when I didn't. I know I'm paying a little bit extra, but there's no breakdown in the receipt. If I have a question, it's not easy all the time to get to a person especially now that they have the automated system.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I was without a refrigerator for three weeks, and two weeks of that was on Lowe's. American Home Shield got me what I needed right away, but Lowe's hired a third-party delivery company, and it was a nightmare. The first time they came out, they said the refrigerator I ordered was too big and I said, "Okay, that's fine." So, I went out and purchased another one. When they came out, they said, "Well, your existing refrigerator's too big to get out the house." I said, "Well, that's odd because it's in the house, so we know it got in the house." Long story short, I wound up paying another company to come and remove the refrigerator the same day, then I had to pay someone else to connect the water line to the refrigerator.

Having a home warranty is good for me because it eliminates me having to find a repairman to fix something. I can just contact American Home Shield and they'll send somebody out. It's a convenience, especially when you're living alone or if you just don't like the hassle of looking for a third party, and so far, all the technicians they've sent out are very professional. I love and recommend American Home Shield. The only reason why I gave them a 4 is my contract is coming up for renewal and the price is changing, but I didn't add anything.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

We’ve had American Home Shield for quite a while. The most recent experience with our microwave has been frustrating. Ultimate Appliance came out and looked at the microwave and it wouldn't heat at all. They said, “Yeah, we were pretty sure we know what we need, but we'll send it in.” It’s been about a month that the microwave has been dead. We've got somebody coming out tomorrow to do the second opinion. I've had to make a lot of following up. But otherwise, it’s been good.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

When my pool pump stopped working, I filed a claim online with American Home Shield. The vendor got ahold of me, and they took their sweet time getting out to me the first time, but the repair man got out to me and fixed a part. When he left, the pump was working, but a few days later, I was hearing some screeching sounds coming from the pump. I am my own pool person, and when I did my normal maintenance of the pool, I could not get the pump to turn back over. So, I went back on the American Home Shield website and asked for a follow-up visit.

Again, the vendor took their sweet time coming out, which was the only thing that I have negative to say about them. Otherwise, they're fantastic. This time, a different gentleman came out. He found a leak in the pump and repaired the leak. Ultimately, he ended up getting the pump to turn over and work again and it was no longer making the screeching noise. We're brand new to American Home Shield, and this was the first time that I needed to use it. So far, I'm super impressed at how easy it is to get on their portal and initiate the claim and then to reopen it when something wasn't totally perfect the first time. So, it's been super user-friendly.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Everything is dependent on the person that American Home Shield has to fix the issue. In the case of the pool area, it's always the Pool & Spa people, and they're very efficient. But when it comes to boilers, and sometimes air conditioners, not so much. The kitchen appliance people are terrible. When American Home Shield sends these guys, they never have parts that almost everybody would have on the truck. So it would appear as if they were milking it so they could come back twice. Once to look at it and once to put the parts in. But if it was away from American Home Shield, they'd have the parts right in the truck. It seems like they always have a reason to come back for something simple. I could see if it was something complicated. But when it comes to something that's very simple, they always try and come back and milk it.

When it comes to plumbing, American Home Shield once sent me a plumber that wanted $3,000. American Home Shield said, “Well, we only cover a certain amount here, and the plumber wants $3,000 so you're gonna have to write out a check for 2,200." This was a couple of years and I said, "Well, never mind.” I got my own guy, paid $500, and it was done. So American Home Shield needs to police the integrity of the people that they use a little more.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

When the air conditioner was not putting cold air, the contracting company that came out did great but I was not happy with American Home Shield. The last few things that I called American Home Shield for have been the air conditioner and the water heater and so many of the things are not covered. It would take about 10 days to get the part in. When they couldn't get the part in, they said that since the local companies said they could get the part, then we had to pay for it. So we're ready to drop American Home Shield. Their service is not like it used to be. The contractors are great, but they're working against American Home Shield because they won't cover stuff. We used to support them wholeheartedly because of what they were doing and we put money in it every month. But now, by the time we pay the monthly, it's not even worth it for us.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

We've had a lot of luck with American Home Shield and we appreciate them. We had an AC issue and it was handled. The AC company came over immediately, handled things and there was no problem at all. This last time though, our double oven went out and they can't replace it. They're not available anymore and there's nothing American Home Shield can do about it. The contractor for our oven has been great. It's just they can't get parts. It's terrible right now all around and there's nobody to blame. I hope nothing else breaks ‘cause you can't get anything anymore.

We haven't had an oven for a long time, but right now, we've got it settled that we're going to have to buy a slide-in, then they would reimburse us. However, getting a slide-in means we're going to have to change our cabinets. It's a mess, and the double ovens they do have are too expensive. They're up in thousands now. That's the only problem that we've had. Up until then, everything American Home Shield has done for us, including the plumbing and the washing machine, has been good. We're very satisfied with them. We've had them for 12 years and will continue with them.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

American Home Shield sent J.P. for an exhaust fan in the bathroom. It just stopped working. The tech replaced it, and he did a great job. It could not be fixed. It was old. He was excellent. He was very seasoned. He had a lot of experience. He was prepared to do the job and knew how to do it. He was in and out very quickly. He was cordial, too.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Our AC was not working anymore. The furnace was frozen and it was not blowing cold air. The tech went and tried to put some Freon but it still didn't work because he said they don't make those anymore. The furnace is off because he said it was getting dangerous because the one in the basement had carbon monoxide. So, he turned everything off. I got a text saying AHS approved the service estimate and to contact the contractor directly to schedule a follow-up appointment. The claim is not moving as fast as it's supposed to. But they're doing their job. It's just slow.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

The cold water wasn't turning on in my guest bathroom tub faucet. I called American Home Shield and had to wait on hold for 15 minutes. They're quite busy and they don't have a lot of techs. They have trouble with their online request submission so I could never get through. I kept reporting it. They kept saying somebody from IT was supposed to get ahold of me to fix it, but I never heard from anybody. They're saying it's now fixed, but I haven't tried it yet. But as soon as I put in the claim, they sent me a text to let me know that a provider had been chosen and that it was Swat Plumbing. They let me know their phone number too. I had the visit scheduled then I had an issue that I couldn't make the appointment and had to reschedule it. I just called their number and it was fine.

On the day of the appointment, the guy came to the door, introduced himself, came in, saw the problem, went out to get a couple of tools and fixed it within 10 minutes. He said that there was some gunk clogging it so that it wasn't able to pull out the valve to let the water flow. As far as getting service, you get service. However, sometimes, it takes a little while depending on the contractor needed. It may take a couple of days before they call you to schedule something.

I've been disappointed in a couple of things. American Home Shield didn't wanna cover a pipe. It was clogging up the pipes inside. The problem was a root was blocking right outside. It was beyond the foundation, and they refused to cover it from there. I ended up having to pay for it. It cost me about $1,000 to get that fixed. After that, it's been fine. They've taken care of stuff. It's just some of their contractors take a while to figure it out. I had my freezer that had quit making ice for a little bit, and it took the contractor three or four visits before they figured it out. I had to keep calling because after they said it was working, it quit working.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Great if you have something quick and easy to repair, but not worth the time and stress to wait for them to get around to your repair. The calls go overseas and it is very difficult to understand most people who answer the phone. Most technicians hang up on you after the call before you can leave feedback. There is constant go around and you never really get an answer you need. The warranty company itself does not offer any sort of survey so you cannot give any feedback. You cannot talk to anyone other than the call center with their scripted answers.

Perhaps Hawaii does not have the best contractors to choose from, but to get a technician to assess and/or repair within a reasonable timeframe is impossible. Contract states that a fridge is an essential household appliance, but when ours went out, it took 4 weeks to get repaired. They blamed lack of technician availability on being in a pandemic, but when I said I was in a pandemic too and losing breast milk due to lack of proper temperature control, that didn't matter. Instead of purchasing a new fridge, like contract states, they insisted on repairing it for a second time.

When we had an unknown water leak, they sent a contractor who was not capable of doing leak detection. We waited a full week for them to assign someone actually qualified, and then they called me and spoke with the most condescending tone. They spoke as if it was a privilege for me to have this great opportunity to do their job for them and find a plumber myself. Then I had to have my contractor call them, wait on hold for an hour to get "approved to work" and they refused to cover any work done. Lost days waiting for both parties to share the information needed. Buyer beware, not worth the service.

Cassie,

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Robert and I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

The ice and water dispenser didn't function. I filed a claim with AHS and the repairman replaced a circuit board and a mechanism in the door and it worked fine for seven days. But, the same thing happened again. There was no dispenser, no water or ice. I called them again and they sent the same guy out. He said, "A loose wire." He fixed it. It worked for a couple of weeks but then it stopped again. The tech was competent. He seemed to know what he was doing. He was a very quiet gentleman and he went about his business. I felt really comfortable that he was here working on my refrigerator because of that. It just didn't stay fixed.

I contacted AHS and they sent out someone totally different that said that it needed a water valve and they ordered the parts. It's going to be another two weeks before the part comes in and they can come back. AHS has been good and reliable. However, sometimes it's slow in getting a technician out here, but I understand that technicians are busy. Also, I filed one claim for a device in the garage that some mice had gotten into and they said they weren't responsible for that. But for the most part, they've been responsive.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Three things went out at the house at once. The washer had an issue with the ball bearings that were in it. My stovetop had a break in one of the knobs that completely broke off. My icemaker had stopped working and we hadn't been able to get it working for months. I called American Home Shield and they said, "We have one company that can do all of that. We'll have them give you a call and it'll just be the $100 service charge.”

The repairman called me the next day and told me he was gonna come out. He came out and said, “I should have an estimate for you and an approval on that in 24 hours.” He called me back early the next day and said, “You've been approved for everything to be repaired. When would you like me to come?” I asked, “When can you be there?” He said, “I can be there the day after tomorrow.” He showed up and was extremely professional. He was also very informative about other things that I should know about those particular products that I owned, the manufacturers, and what to expect. I was shocked that all I had to pay was that $100 service fee.

I was in the middle of a very stressful situation and the renewal came up on my email. I didn't have a chance to respond to it, and I thought I lost them. But they called me and said, “We saw you didn't respond to your renewal. Just wanted to give you a call to see if you did want to renew your policy. There would be no lapse in it. It would just continue.” I told them to do that and they renewed it.

While I had them on the phone, I said, “I've got a small plumbing issue. The plumber that I had to look at it wanted to go through the wall and replace all the piping and it was gonna be $750. I just want the handle replaced.” They said, “No problem. We'll have somebody call you.” They called me in two hours and they were there the next day. The plumber was so sweet, very professional, and on time. I told them that my sister had passed away and that I was in the middle of doing the funeral arrangements. I asked if they could come in the morning, and he was there. One hour later, he was walking out and didn't have to drill through the wall. It was fixed. I'm a happy customer.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

American Home Shield sent Rockland Plumbing out for a drainage problem. We discovered that the plumber didn't put the washer on the joint between the drain and the elbow. It was leaking from there. I thought that was the only leak. That was why I called back and wanted them to send someone else out. American Home Shield wanted to send Rockland back out but I told them no and that the guy was rude. I was asking him questions about this thing he was bringing up my stairs to rod out my pipe. He said, “Who's the plumber? I'm the plumber."

Rockland Plumbing is a terrible company. They don't have one nice review and most of the customers are complaining of the same issue. Once you complained of a mistake that they did, they wouldn't answer the phone. I escalated it to someone else at American Home Shield but they don't seem to care. They're gonna continue to use this company that has these terrible reviews. Rockland Plumbing ghosts people too. He charged for three hours of work but wasn't here an hour.

Another company came, Water Control Plumbing, and they are excellent. They came the next day. The plumber said, “There's no washer in here.” That was screwed back on then he did the water test. As he was upstairs, I see water coming out of the light fixture, coming down the cabinets, going all of my dishes, the countertop, and the floor like it was raining in my kitchen to the point where I had to call my homeowners insurance. They ripped out my ceiling in the kitchen and the floor in the bathroom above the kitchen. This happened early August and I'm still without a ceiling and lights in my kitchen, and my bathroom floor is still gone ‘cause I gotta get contractors in here to redo my bath and my kitchen. The insurance company has decided to go after Rockland Plumbing for the damages to my kitchen but they wouldn't answer our phone calls.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

The pool pump was making a loud racket and the water was not pumping out the vents over the pool. It was diagnosed as unrepairable and needed to be replaced. The repair guys were nice and seemed to know what was going on, and everything's working so far. I've left two messages though and they have not deemed it necessary to call me because they did not give me any paperwork and I wanted to know about warranty on that pool.

American Home Shield response

We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great week.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

The Pipe Solutions guy was excellent. He took pictures of the issue and sent it to AHS, but they didn’t want to work on it. There were five things that I asked about, but they allowed him to do three of them.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I've had horrible experiences with American Home Shield. No matter what call we put in, it's always declined. We've had to have our own techs come out and tell us what's going on, later to find out that it is covered by American Home Shield. We've asked for supervisors multiple times and there's never anything. All we get is an escalation team and sometimes it takes a day or two, sometimes we don't get a call back at all. Half of the agents that answer the phone barely speak English or if they do, it's very hard to understand them. You can hear babies crying or chickens cackling in the background. It's a really terrible experience.

A supervisor should always be available if there's a need to escalate. We've been dealing with a call for an air conditioning unit since May. It's been a nightmare with the company that they contracted with. We couldn't get anybody out for 10 days and the tech that they did send didn’t diagnose the problem appropriately. It took him about two weeks to come back for that first issue, which wasn't even the right thing to be done. The company came to the home about five times before the unit was fixed. The job was completed about two weeks ago so it was four months for our air conditioner claim in the hottest time of the year.

Deborah,

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I live in Arizona and the air conditioning just quit. At first, we thought it was the thermostat because it slowly seized up. One day, it seized up, and then I called and made the claim to American Home Shield, and then later that day, it was working again. So, we thought, “Oh, it might just be the thermostat.” The very next day, it just quit and it was 100 and something degrees here. So, that was when I made the claim and asked someone to come as an emergency.

American Home Shield is great. They've always done a good job. I live in Red Rock and it's hard for people to get service out here because we're about 30 miles from Tucson or a little bit longer from Casa Grande. So, people charge an arm and a leg to come out here for travel and through American Home Shield, I just pay my $100 deductible and they send someone out. I'm an older person, and it's too complicated for me to try to hunt somebody down. The service with AHS is very easy because they find the contractor and take care of all that. I had American Home Shield many years ago in another home where I lived. When I moved, I switched to a different one because it was a little cheaper, but I didn't get the same kind of service. So, I quit them and went back to American Home Shield. I'd recommend them highly.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I have American Home Shield for several houses. As far as reupping on it, it's 50/50. I'm not the biggest fan ‘cause it takes too long to get people out, especially with air conditioners that I have in Tulsa. I can't sit and wait a week to get somebody to respond when it's hot. I ended up hiring somebody else to come out right away. On the claim in Las Vegas, it took a while for the repairman to get to the house. But other than that, he gave good service. The part would have cost some money. I saved money, even though I had to wait two weeks. Part of it was the repairman had to order a part.

Ronald,

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I’m liking American Home Shield a lot. My refrigerator was having issues, and they sent someone out. They explained everything that they were doing, and why it was making me the weird noises. Now, my refrigerator’s fixed.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

The first time the guy from Pride Mechanical came out, it was almost 9 o’clock at night. He ended up changing the valve that goes with the water heater, because he said that was what was leaking. A week and a half later, it started leaking again. When Pride Mechanical came out, it was nighttime again. I’m single, so it made me nervous. The guy said, “You need a new water heater.” He went into how much money it was gonna cost me, and I said, “Okay, that’s a lot.” He said he was gonna send us to the company. He talked about all these modifications that I would need to have, so I said, “Okay, I need time to make a decision,” but the next day, they were already calling. “You need to make a decision right now.”

It was constant calling, and I was being seriously pressured to make a quick decision, when I have a home warranty who’s supposed to do this for me. It didn’t seem like Pride Mechanical was going through the company. They were coming directly to me. “You’re gonna have to pay $900 out of pocket, you’re gonna have to pay this.” At that point, I was already stressed out because the water was leaking through the ceiling. Also, with the guy's tone of voice and because it was at night, I told the American Home Shield rep, “I’m sorry, I’m afraid. I don’t want this guy to come back to my home. And I don't like the way he's talking to me. I've seen other complaints, but this is too much for a single woman with two kids. No, he can't come back.”

I didn't know I was supposed to shut off the water to the water heater, and the guy from Pride Mechanical didn’t even offer to shut it off. The way the pipes are, the water leaked downstairs, but because he didn’t shut off the water, it leaked more. I expected a repairman to know what’s supposed to be done. So, that was on me, and I had to call somebody. I have a friend who knows someone who works on water heaters. Also, when moving in, I met some plumbers. So, they directed me to someone else, and I ended up paying out of pocket. I also had a ceiling patched, which I had to pay for.

When I called American Home Shield, the girl who helped me from the reimbursement department went above and beyond. She really helped to calm me down and get the situation resolved. They reimbursed me some of the money for the water heater, but they said they couldn't reimburse me for the ceiling patch. Recently, I just had issues with the AC, and the people that American Home Shield sent out for that can come again because they were awesome. I thought the AC was leaking, but the tech said it was just the condensation.

American Home Shield response

We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing weekend.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

We filed a claim with AHS for our refrigerator but we never had a callback. So, we called in this morning and we requested Hometown because the owner had come out and worked on our washer and dryer and dishwasher a couple of times. She's really thorough, professional, on time and did a great job. The operator told my wife that they were no longer available. The operator was very short and unprofessional. Couldn't give us an answer why. AHS needs to work on their front end a little bit. We told AHS, "Get us whoever your next best is."

American Home Shield Company Information