2. Homeowners

4.3/5 (14748 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances in 49 states. The company has access to a network of over 16,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Customizable coverage plans

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems, appliances or both. It's not the cheapest option, but it comes with some extra perks. Add-on coverage is available for electronics, pools and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

My neighbor had AHS and he was telling me that any time that something broke, the job was good and it wasn't expensive. Recently, the furnace was on, but it would never cut off when it reaches a certain temperature. It would just constantly stay on. We called the technician back and he adjusted it. That was what he said he did the first time - he adjusted it. AHS is very professional and their contractors come out as soon as possible. Compared to the pandemic with everybody putting you on hold for months and months, that was very good timing.

American Home Shield response

We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great week.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

I had a toilet that was stopped up and a leaky faucet. The contractor fixed both but the communication was what bothered me. It seemed like I was pursuing them to do a follow up because nobody was calling me. When the plumber came, he fixed the toilet off the top. The faucet was a little bit more of an issue because he didn't know why it was leaking. When he figured it out, he had to get the part. He said as soon as he had the part, he would come back and fix it. For two weeks, I was the one calling asking them if they were coming back.

When American Home Shield has somebody coming out to your house, they don't set up the appointment for you. You have to call that contractor and set up the appointment yourself. Since I knew that already and when I called American Home Shield and was put on hold, I thought of going ahead and calling the plumbing company myself. When I called them, they said, "The part came in. We'll go ahead and send the plumber out to your house."

Once that call was complete, not only did the plumbing company sent me an email saying my appointment had been set up but also all of a sudden American Home Shield sent the same text and email saying somebody was coming out to my house to fix the issue. But if I hadn't called, I wouldn't have heard from anybody. American Home Shield failed me in that aspect. Also, when I called, they said the service was closed out. That was where American Home Shield slacked with me because they should have kept the call open and communicated with me to make me feel that I have not been forgotten. It shouldn't be closed out because the faucet wasn't fixed.

Lisa,

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. I do apologize for any inconvenience. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

I have dealt with American Home Shield for years and they've been good to me. I appreciate their communication and would recommend them. They save me the trouble ‘cause I don't have to go and research people. They have done that part, so I can trust that they're gonna send a quality and knowledgeable person out, and somebody that’s been vetted. I've had electrical issues, a water heater issue, and an AC issue. It looked like a car that's been in an accident a thousand times, but they still made it work.

Sevier Climate Control came out when the house wasn’t cooling off. They were really good about communicating. I asked them to please give me an hour cushion so I could get to the house, and they did. I got a text message as well as an email. The guy who came out was fairly friendly. He looked at the unit and said it was something with the circuit board. He said we had to order the part but he made it come on. He handled his business and explained everything to me. Within a week, we got the part in, he came back, put the part in, and we were good. The only issue I've had was for the heater issue where I want them to get the whole unit replaced without replacing the one part that's broken. But it's gonna have to be what it is until the other parts break.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

The first two vendors couldn't fix the issue of the microwave that was not powering up. There was the same issue about three weeks after they fixed it. It requires a special tool to remove the microwave out of that existing condition where it's installed. They know this but they didn't bring a dolly to pull it out of the cabinet, so they couldn't do anything. There were a couple of repeat calls in the same issue for not having the proper tools with them. There was a lot of wait time in between because they didn't have the right tools. All said and done, it took five months, which is not good. But I was impressed with the last guy. He came prepared and knew what he was doing. He read this wiring schematic and took care of it.

American Home Shield should hire somebody that's a reputable company to take care of these affairs. I've been paying them with a smile just so we can have this peace of mind. But I had to go buy a tabletop microwave to accommodate for the five months that we were waiting. I should be compensated for it. They should let me go for one to two months for the inconvenience.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

We have great service with American Home Shield. When my washer and dryer stopped heating, a contractor came in and changed whatever that was bad.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

A repairman had the AC issue fixed in 20 minutes. Something had come loose near where the fan is mounted on the outside unit. But I'm not pleased with American Home Shield. The send out whoever they want every time. There's this one company called 3 Boys Appliances. They came out here five times and didn't fix anything. Each service call was $75. I told American Home Shield not to send those people back to my house.

I've also paid 13 times for service calls on my refrigerator for the same problem. That's $975. I could have bought a new refrigerator by now. The issue has something to do with the water dispenser/icemaker because they're all part of the same system. It leaks water out onto the bottom of the inside of the refrigerator, then it spills over and out onto the floor. It's not every day, but it's all the time. You never know when it's gonna happen. The bottom of my refrigerator is full of water right now. American Home Shield told me I can't initiate anything. It has to come from the service techs. They have to tell American Home Shield that it cannot be repaired. I talked to the owner of the service company and she said she was going to push the issue, that they can't repair the refrigerator. But I haven't heard anything from American Home Shield about it and that was three weeks ago.

Johnny,

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Robert and I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

The most recent claim that I had with AHS went very well. It normally doesn't take too long to get a provider or contractor out there. This was three days from the initial claim. The issue was the boiler went bad and I didn't have to pay to replace the whole thing. So, that was a huge benefit. I've had AHS for four years now and we've never had any major issues since we've had them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

The techs who came out recently did very well. But they are the only one so far out of all the people that AHS sent that did such a wonderful job. As for American Home Shield themselves, I don't like them. They don't take responsibility when they hire contractors and they push it all on to their customers. The contractors come from them. They call and send them out. So when they don't show up with the part and actually fix the appliance that I ordered to be fixed, they take the money and run. People dealing with AHS should document everything, including who they speak to and when they speak to them, because down the line, they're probably going to need it to file a complaint.

Susan,

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I've utilized American Home Shield on a few occasions. When I needed something, I called them. If there is some out of pocket money, it was not as extravagant as if I would have had to absorb it all myself. I had two AC units, one on one side of my house and one on the other side. And I got a furnace in my garage and everything's covered. They've already replaced both units, the control unit and the heat pump on both sides. But it cost me $1,000 because of the recovery of the Freon. They don't have where they recover it and put it back in. You have to pay for the Freon, which isn't covered. In a way it should be part of it because when they were removing it, I didn't have a leak.

We did the recent claim online and set it up. AHS had somebody call me. Murray’s called me within the 48 hours that AHS gives, but I missed the call. I get a lot of spam calls and I didn't recognize the number. When they left a message, I said, "Oh, that was Murray’s." So I called back, and it must have been too late. So they called me the next day, and that was when I called them and lined it up for that Friday and I took the day off, and it worked out.

Murray’s did a great job. They came out and looked at the unit. I knew that they would have to replace it. And when they came out, they got to look at it, sent it back out, and they got to verify that it is bad. Not go by my word. They then turned around, and were there five minutes. They said, "Yup, you need a hot water heater." I got to reschedule another day. That's the only bad part about that. Because I would have had to take another day off from work.

Luckily, it was a Friday, and Murray’s turned around and said, "Nah, we don't work Saturdays or weekend." They called me three times Friday, and by 3 o'clock, they said, "We got the hot water heater, if you want we'll come out Sunday and put it in." They came out Sunday while I was off, and they did it. The service that I got through Murray’s was good.

I've always had a good thing with AHS. But the bad part is when I already know that they would replace it, they come out, and they got to go and do all the research. It takes three weeks to get my new washer and dryer or my hot water heater. They came out on a Friday and they would have ended up scheduling it the following week, some time either Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, the following week. And that would have required me to take another day off from work. Other than that, everything went well.

I'm pretty handy for myself. I could have put the hot water heater in myself and it would have cost me just for the hot water heater. And that depends on what I would have got. I could have went to Home Depot. It might have been 400 bucks. It did save me half the money on a hot water heater. I asked Murray’s what they charged to do a hot water heater, and I couldn't believe what they told me what they usually charge not on AHS. It was 2 grand. Get American Home Shield.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need if you need assistance. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

We had an icemaker problem. They put a new one in, but it didn't work. Then they came out yesterday and put a new one in and it's working now. It made ice last night. The tech was very knowledgeable. I'm very satisfied with AHS. We have two different contracts with them. One, we did our home and another one we did a condo that we purchased.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I'm very unsatisfied with the service and I'm unsatisfied with the company. The service is lousy. You can't even get in contact with the company that American Home Shield is using to supposedly come out and look at the customer's issue. I've called over there a couple of times. My other complaint is one of the young ladies I was speaking to hung up on me.

We put a request in on the 31st of October and it took a week before a repairman showed up. The worst part is he just submitted the paperwork for what was wrong yesterday. Apparently, American Home Shield is not covering my heating and cooling unit so what do I need them for? The slightest problem was a leaky coil and May Heating and Air wanted to charge me for $385 of freon and $1,800 for a motor. Nobody said about a motor. It was just a coil leak. That sounded like they were trying to rip me off. On top of that, every time I called American Home Shield, they said they would escalate. How many times were they gonna escalate something that nobody even went to? I’ve had a bad experience and it’s left a bad taste in my mouth. I am gonna call them and cancel my policy because this ain’t working for me.

Dorothea,

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I reached over to American Home Shield by phone because I had a specific contractor in their network that I wanted to use, Hornet. I’ve used them over the years and they have been my go-to repair facility for my appliances. American Home Shield outsources their customer service phone calls. The young lady I first dealt with didn't understand me completely nor did she get the proper notes into the file. There were two appliances. There's my refrigerator icemaker and I had some sort of blower motor out on our gas oven. The first lady did not get the gas oven in there so I had reached back over to Hornet to make sure that both items were on the to-do list when they came out. It was not. It took another phone call to American Home Shield to get it straightened out. Eventually, it was fine.

That issue with customer service aside, the process is flawless. I would suggest, however, that instead of having to make an actual phone call to request a specific vendor or a repair service, I should be able to do that online. There ought to be a place for that somewhere in the notes section when you're listing the items that are wrong, the model numbers, or whatever that you could specify. As long as you know a certain contractor is within their network then you can request those guys.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I like the service request process of American Home Shield. The only thing that I’m not really used to was I had Sears. They came out and they did maintenance. American Home Shield doesn't do maintenance and I'm probably gonna have to try to find someone that does keep the maintenance up on things. If I had to do this again, I would first ask if the home warranty does maintenance. Also, the tech released the Freon that was in the unit to put some more. I could smell the Freon and I wasn't supposed to. Overall, American Home Shield is good.

American Home Shield response

We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

Our refrigerator was not cooling or freezing correctly and I can't function without it. I have a very hungry six-year-old and a big husband. We went through the American Home Shield website to make a claim and it was fine. A tech came and replaced the condenser. When he pulled the refrigerator out, he noticed an issue with the ice maker. It hadn't been making ice well for a long time. He fixed both issues. He was very helpful and knowledgeable. He knew what he needed to do. I would recommend American Home Shield but would advise people to call to make sure they get the best rate. My problem is the rate just keeps going up.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

We've been with American Home Shield for about five years and we've had quite a few things. We had some electrical problems. We had a sink that went out in our kitchen and also the InSinkErator went out. The claims process is really easy. I pay 125 and it's fair. 'For the claim regarding my toilet, the technicians were here for two and a half hours working on it. They had to pull the toilets off the ground, reseal them, and do all kinds of stuff. It was a major work. When we had our sink redone in the kitchen, they even let us pick out a sink that we thought we might like. That was a good $500 job. It was the faucet system plus all the work. But we only paid 125 for that. The warranty pays off.

What got us to go with American Home Shield was we had our air conditioner go out and that was a $4,000 bill. At that point, I engaged American Home Shield and got the service going. If we have water heaters go out in the house, we pay $57 a month, which is 600 plus a year. That's worth the comfort of knowing that we don't have to pay a big bill when something hits. American Home Shield has always been very responsive. Whoever's running it and owns it has done a good job.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

The dryer was not drying, and the contractor took care of it very promptly and well. Most of the time, I've had no problem with American Home Shield. But they could make their management more accessible. When there is a problem, you have to request a management person to call you, and then they have 12 to 48 business hours to contact you. So you're gonna have to wait up to a week before anybody calls you back.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

AHS has always given good service and fixed my issue or replaced it. It’s also easy to call and pay $75 and have someone come out. Recently, they replaced my garbage disposal in the kitchen. The tech that came was on time, professional, nice and cleaned his mess.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

Every time we've had an issue or a question, it's always been answered and/or handled. Recently, the toilets were backing up, so there was a clog. When I called, the AHS rep said, "I'll put the service in. Get a tech out there." I asked about how long she thought that would take and she said, "You should probably get a call Saturday, maybe Sunday at the latest." She asked, "Is that okay?" I said, "It's an emergency because we can't really take a shower or do laundry, do anything like that because I'm worried that it's just gonna back up and then cause more damage." She said she'd give me a callback. I said sure. So, she gave me a callback. She called somebody, got ahold of somebody, and had somebody out there Saturday morning.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I'm very happy and satisfied with American Home Shield. But I had a little recent hiccup when the contract expired on November 2nd and I didn't authorize it to be renewed, but it was renewed without my knowledge or permission. I called and spoke with someone and I told them that I'm living on Social Security and I have a lot of medical bills, and I can't afford the new monthly payment that they quoted, even though it was only about $15 more than I had paid. But even that much for me is still kind of a lot of money. The rep told me, "Okay. Well, let me see what I can do." Then she came back on and said that they could do a concession and lower the yearly price by $100 and get it back in the monthly range that I could afford. That was fantastic so I told her to do it. She said she was doing it and then I asked her if she could send me a copy of the new contract. But she said she couldn't and told me to call back in a few days.

I've been calling back for almost three weeks now, and every time I talk to someone, it's something different. But each one of them acknowledges that it shows in the notes that I do have a $100 concession and my monthly payments would be $36.90. They always say, "Well, they're working on it there. It's in billing, they're changing it, they're adjusting it." But so far, I still haven't had a resolution on getting the new contract or seeing it on my customer portal, and it's still showing the old amount and the old monthly payment.

I like that I can order the service at any time 24/7 on my computer immediately. But initially, I didn't like that I can't choose the provider. American Home Shield selected one provider and he came out and did a great job. Then I had another issue with it and they selected another provider. I asked them, "Can't I have the guy who came the first time? He's already familiar with everything, I liked them, and everything's good." But they said, "No." I complained about that. But then, I understand the fairness of the system where they say they want to make sure that all the vendors and providers have an opportunity to get work. They have their own queue system, so I'm not guaranteed to get the same person again. I told them that was fair. So I was kind of okay with that. Everyone who has come out has been really good as far as quality service, coming on time, and good communication. So I'm really pretty happy with everything.

William,

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

When I go into a contractual agreement with a company I simply want to be treated fairly. Trust me when I tell you this will not happen with AHS. They will not honor the agreed-upon contract and good luck with their overseas call center. And oh by the way, will not escalate. You only deal with people trained to tell you "no" even when they are not honoring their side.

American Home Shield response

I certainly hate to hear that you have received less than satisfactory service. I will follow up with you as soon as possible in an effort to assist with unresolved issues. I've just sent you an email. Thanks for your patience.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I used AHS when the refrigerator door wasn't closing properly. The techs repaired the seal around the edge and they did a good job.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

For my recent claim with AHS, I had a faucet that was leaking. I tried to shut it off at the main valve to replace it. But where you shut off wasn't turning it off, so the tech came in and was able to get it to shut off and changed it for me. I had a little bit of a problem with making the payment with AHS though. I pay my bill every month with my credit card. For some reason, they weren’t able to process the payment. They called several times and I finally ended up giving them a different credit card and that one didn't process. They take the thing out of my bank account every month so I don't know what the problem was. But they figured it out and ended up taking it out of my checking account. I haven’t had a lot of trouble with it this time.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

So far, so good. They responded for the request for the service for my air conditioner. I was asking if they covered it and they don't. But their guys did it, so it was fine. They sent a guy and it was very good.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

The plumber, Chris, who came out a couple of times to look at my toilet and shower was excellent. He was super professional and polite. Plus, the turnaround time was great. The only frustration and concern that I had was based on my experience with having the guy that came out and looked at my dishwasher and my refrigerator. He came out and did the inspection, took pictures of my icebox that was broken in my refrigerator, and gave me the impression that once he submitted the claim, pretty much he would come back with a new part to fix it. So, I was thinking it was going to be fixed.

I paid my $75 service fee, which I know is part of my contract, but I came to find out my claim was denied because apparently, there were some missing pieces and AHS said that that was a part of their exclusion policy. To me, that was not okay because for one, why would the technician give me the impression that all he had to do was submit the claim in order for me to get the part and then it get repaired? I also came to find out that he missed this document. I'm a new homeowner, so I've only lived in the property for a couple of months, and I felt like an exception could have been made. I felt like I paid a service fee for nothing and I would like to make sure that AHS is aware in the future that if their technicians are coming out to do their assessment to determine if something's going to be repaired, they need to truly be honest and not lead a customer on.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I had a refrigerator problem. It never was able to make ice. The people American Home Shield sent out had no knowledge of Monogram GE. So, that was a negative experience. All I got was excuses and three trips that they made, and nothing was resolved. They replaced the icemaker twice. I said the line was leaking. They said, “Oh, no, it's not this and that.” So I got tired of arguing with them. And I found where the leak was later. I live in the middle of nowhere and they don't have any technicians that do GE Monogram. So, it's a waste of money.

I had AHS fix some GFI electrical. The electrical company they sent out knew exactly how to do what was necessary and they did fine. So, my experience was 50% good and 50% bad. I'm not going to ever deal with AHS again. 50% isn't high enough in my book. They should find contractors that have a background in what they are repairing.

American Home Shield response

I certainly hate to hear that you have received less than satisfactory service & I apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for sharing your feedback. Have a great week.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I called American Home Shield and they sent somebody out right away, which was nice. I didn't know what kind of heater I had and where it was. At least the repairman found it. It was in the crawlspace. However, their company doesn't work on a Trane. Another repairman went up there and said that the unit needed the filters cleaned. He cleaned everything out and it's been working.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I'm satisfied with American Home Shield. If I have a problem, I go ahead, open a ticket, and get a response. Recently, I opened a ticket for our faucets that were not working. They sent me a text message that somebody was gonna come to my house. A plumber showed up and ended up fixing the problem. He was really nice about it too. He was very competent and showed me exactly what was wrong. Now that I know what he did, if I have the same problem, I can fix it myself.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I had an issue with the water heater and American Home Shield sent out 5 Star Plumbing. They came to my house and made an adjustment for five minutes. After three days, I made a request for a job undone. They said they need to change a certain part. They didn't have that and waited for it for almost 35 days. I said, “I don't care about the volume of parts. I care about my family.” The issue was not the water heater anymore. The issue is my family getting sick. But they didn't care.

The worst thing was when I asked for a recall issue, they scheduled me and said they will come. On that day, I didn't go to work but they never came. They said they didn't have the part yet. They should have notified me. 5 Star Plumbing is the worst contractor. American Home Shield should deal with their contractors. I have the plan with them and I shouldn't have to deal with the contractor. I told American Home Shield I was going to file a lawsuit because my family was going to get sick with what was happening. For how many weeks, they said they were going to escalate the issue. I never stopped calling them. They sent out another contractor, Allstate, and they were good. They did everything. In the end, it took 42 days for my water heater to be fixed. I am very dissatisfied. After the contract is done with American Home Shield, I will never renew.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

We had a number of issues with the icemaker ranging from intermittent use of the water, and the intermittent ability for the ice to be generated out of the system. The ice itself was being made fine. The issue was the delivery system through the door. It took a couple of rounds because the contractor thought that part of the fix was in the driver that turns the ice out of the ice bucket. But it turned out that there was a problem with the board, and it was creating a miscommunication from one piece to the other. So we weren't able to get water and weren't routinely able to get ice. It was also inhibiting the closure of the door. But they resolved the issue in its entirety. The ice maker works perfectly now.

The contractor was great. Their turnaround when they had the parts was quick. The woman that called was great. The guy that was here a couple of times was awesome. He told me he replaced the board. Overall, American Home Shield worked pretty well. But it's pretty expensive. I do question sometimes if it's worth the value of the monthly payment, but I do recognize the expense sometimes of the repairs.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

My heating element in my dryer went out. I called in service. There was a little issue getting ahold of them to schedule an appointment for someone to come out, diagnose and fix the issue. But once we got that down, everything went smoothly. The guy that came out from Alfa Appliances was really informative, taught us a couple of tricks on how to prevent the issue from happening again. Everything's good now. Having AHS puts my mind at ease. If ever a problem occurs and it's able to be fixed by them, I know I'm not going to have to shell out a lot of money just to get it repaired.

American Home Shield Company Information