4.3/5 (12929 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I had a claim for the sink in the bathroom, and it was repaired within a week. We had water leak and damage in our cabinets with the new repair that they installed. So, the person who installed it came back out. We're done. We found out that we had a defective faucet. It’s on the line. So, it was draining down something totally different than down the water lines where it should have been. If anything would drain, it would drain there. I haven't heard anything back since. When I first submitted the claim to American Home Shield, I was complaining that it was leaking and getting roached out at the bottom. It's been leaking, and they came and they determined it was gonna be replaced.

As far as the tech, he was very professional. He did more than just that sink because there might have been a problem with high pressure in the house because multiple things were leaking. He went through and did a really great job. Along with him checking out his work, I checked out his work afterwards. He is very professional but I just haven't heard back. I've been waiting for about five weeks now. He said he was trying to contact the actual Delta faucets and work that through the warranty of having a faulty faucet, so I still have the faucet here still installed, but those lines turned off.

Bud,

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with us. We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you and we look forward to our continued business together.

Have a great day.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I don't have to worry about looking in the yellow pages or the internet to try to find someone to come out and do my repairs. I've got that one-stop shop right there with American Home Shield. It's easy to use. We have several things up on the plumbing that you can go on the website and you can do. Instead of calling and waiting until somebody picks up and transfers, I use the online. They send me a text to let me know who the contractor is, what time they're coming, and I have a phone number to call them back if I have any issues with the time, and the contractor calls and lets me know they are 10 minutes away.

In the past, I had some problems. But this time, this plumbing guy that came out was awesome. I had a drip in my master bathroom vanity washbowl basin. The company that came out did an excellent job. The plumber was professional. He explained everything that he did, things that I could do in the future. Excellent customer service skills. When I have plumbing issues from now on, I want that same company to come out.

He used a Moen product and he had it on his truck. All he had to do was screw my old thing off and screw another one on and it worked perfectly. He did more than that, but it didn't take that long for him to get that done. The previous one that came out that I had to do from the same work, it had to be ordered. I had to order it through them and it had to come through the mail, and I had to call the contractor back and let the tech know that it was here. He already had it on the truck which made it spectacular. They did everything.

Denotra,
    Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I used AHS for many years. Then I thought I would do better by going to another company that would be a better price and easier to get ahold of. But I was totally unhappy, so I came back to AHS. Recently, a repairman came out and fixed my microwave so I was happy. He was efficient. However, sometimes it's very hard to get ahold of the reps on the phone. I had a little trouble trying to learn how to do it on the computer. I always found it was a big headache to try to get an appointment. I've gotten a little better at it, but it doesn't seem very user-friendly. But overall, I'm very satisfied. I would highly recommend AHS. I already have to two people and one lady even got a contract.

Margaret,

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

Our downstairs bathroom kept clogging up, and this happened the week before Thanksgiving. When a guy came out, there were no issues. After they would leave, the same thing would happen again, which cost us to have him come back out again. On this round, he ended up replacing the toilet. Once he did that, we ended up having another issue with the same toilet with it. At this point, I asked for a supervisor to come out and see if they can fix the issue but again, once they got out there, there were no issues.

I did my claim to American Home Shield online. It was easy to navigate but it was kinda hard for me to find what the issue was with my toilet. As far as the tech, the interaction was good but then when he had come back out a second time, the guy got an attitude with my husband. When I asked for a supervisor, I did let him know that the guy did get an attitude with my husband when he came out to change out the toilet. As far as AHS, they're a great company. They had our issues fixed for us quickly.

Courtney,

We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I overloaded my circuits so we called American Home Shield and they said they were gonna send somebody out. I was at Walmart when I got the call that they were gonna send somebody out and when I got home, the tech had already been here and fixed the problem. It was that kind of fast and it was impressive. The tech was from Hy-Tech Electric and he was pleasant, friendly, and knew exactly what to do.

Trazia,

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

My toilet wouldn't fill up anymore. I submitted a claim to American Home Shield and getting through to somebody wasn't too hard. The reps were helpful. I just don't think the job was worth the $100. The tech just replaced the part to make the water come back in there, which was something I could have done myself. It would cost me about 15 bucks. The technician did what he had to do, but I think AHS overcharged no matter what the job is. I'm already paying a monthly fee and then I had to turn around and pay $100. AHS should wait until after the job is done to see if it's still $100 or more type of job. The tech was great. He gave us some pointers on how the water system works and he was very thorough and detailed with his job. He gave me helpful hints. I was very satisfied with what he came out and did, but I'm not satisfied with the way AHS handled the claim. I'm kinda iffy about them.

I also had a refrigerator go out and they went through the whole process to determine what the problem was. It was an old refrigerator. The technician that came out said, "Yeah, they'll probably just pay you out for the refrigerator." Now, AHS chose to fix the refrigerator. He said the part is worth more than the refrigerator. So, they came out and fixed it. It started back working. Something else went out in it. AHS charges you the $100 right away, and the part that went out was a little old fan. So, had they replaced the refrigerator or bought me out in the first place, they wouldn't have had to come out twice. I wouldn't have had to come up with $200. So, the next time it goes out, I'm just gonna replace the refrigerator. I'm not even gonna deal with AHS. I'm in the process of shopping around for another home warranty place now

American Home Shield response

My name is Stacy & I will follow up with you as soon as possible in an effort to assist with unresolved issues. Thanks for your patience.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

The last claim I had with American Home Shield was about my refrigerator. The first contractor, Sears, never showed up. It took them almost two months to finally come, but they didn't do anything. It took them so long to show up that I had to go with another one. For the second one, it was okay. They diagnosed it properly, but the tech couldn't fix it either. We ended up going with Sears again, but they also said they could not fix it. So, they wound up replacing it. It was already six months by then. The only thing that saved the situation was AHS replaced the fridge because had they not, it would have been horrible. Maybe a lawsuit. Because I don't know why I pay for something that they never do. The quality is good in general. They do what they can. But the overall model of how they work is broken because they rely on local vendors. If they are bad, it doesn't work. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep having the service because of the model.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

The valve was leaking and running all the time in the tub. 3-D Hoover Services came out and replaced the cartridge kit in the valve. They did that first thing in the morning and they did it in three hours’ time.

Brian,
    Taking care of our members is the main goal here at AHS. I am glad that you were happy with the work done.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

We used American Home Shield to get a washer fixed. Allied Appliance thought it worked but it didn't so we went back and forth. They finally got it to work. They didn't have a part, so we had to wait for the part. Then they came out and fixed it. But we could only do small loads. We couldn't do anything bigger. They came out again and fixed it. However Allied Appliance said they weren't required to take the drum. They are going to take care of it, even though they should. You fix something, you take the old thing, we'll pay you extra, but you don't just say, "We're not required to take it" then just leave. I told American Home Shield about it, and they said they were going to take care of it. But it's still sitting in our garage. I'm not too happy about it. I'm glad I didn't have to buy a new washer but I'm upset that we still have a washer drum sitting in our garage. It's big.

American Home Shield response

I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused. My name is Stacy and I will contact you about your ongoing concerns.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I'm not that pleased sometimes with the way AHS handles things. It's like we have to pay a lot and they bring these people that want to upgrade everything and charge you a whole arm and leg. Also, with some contractors, our experience is bad. A tech came out for the water heater and his customer service approach was not good and very abrupt. He didn't do a proper diagnosis. He wanted to change out the water tech but nothing was wrong with the heater, it was just the starter that another guy fixed. The last tech we had had come to us before. He has integrity and we requested that he came back.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

The first time that I needed American Home Shield, they responded with an electrician who was very professional and knowledgeable. I have referred several people to them. I was very pleased with them. But I am very disappointed the last time that I had problems with my dryer. We thought the dryer went out, but it was the cable. The first time the appliance man came, he didn't notice that. He said it was the plug to the wall. We had to call the electrician. That was another $100 to American Home Shield. The electrician came and fixed it up, and we were pleased.

They gave me two months that I'm not gonna pay my premium because they didn't resolve the problem. They put me through a lot of hardship. They charged me but didn't resolve the problem. The company that they sent wanted to charge us $385 to put a new cable on the dryer. They told me that the electrician had to do it, but the electrician said the dryer man had to do it. They were throwing the hot potato to each other. All this lasted 2.5 months. I called and I was gonna cancel it. They reimbursed me $100 for the appliance man. They told me that I didn't have to pay my premium with them for two months.

As soon as the two months are done, I'm calling and I'm going to cancel because I'm very unhappy. I've been paying my $100 a month for a long time to American Home Shield. In the whole time that I've been having them, we've used them three times the most. When the appliance company came, they didn't even respond to what I was expecting the service that I've been paying for so long would be. It was not helpful at all to have American Home Shield.

Susana,

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Robert and I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

American Home Shield is prompt. The contractors they had working on my appliances were here quickly, diagnosed the issues, and had them fixed within days. I also like that it's easy to pay for it 'cause it's a quick monthly charge.

Dan,

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I filed a claim for a leak by the fireplace. American Home Shield sent me the contractor's number and told me to contact them directly. I didn't know if they were going to contact the contractor for me. A repairman came right over to check out the area. He put a drone up on the roof. After that, it was a slow process of them getting there to fix that leak. I kept calling them back saying, "Can somebody at least come and put a tarp on the roof?" They called me back and said, "We don't understand. What kind of tarp are you talking about?" Then they said, "We'll have somebody come up Saturday," but nobody showed up that day. The problem I had was the contractor was so far away. They were way down in New Charlotte that was why it took them so long to get with me about issues.

But they were good. I've had issues with that roof before, and I could not believe they were finally the ones to solve the problem. They ripped everything out. They replaced some of the plywood and shingles and put down new flashing. That was not what anybody else did. Everybody else just put flashing around it and some caulking, and that was it. I'm satisfied with American Home Shield. I like the coverage. Some of our appliances are old, and I like the fact that they would try to fix or replace old items also. It's been an excellent service. I have told several friends and coworkers about them.

Jerome,

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

They fixed the garage door, they aligned it and everything is good. I'm pretty happy with the services of AHS.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I love American Home Shield. They do what they say they're gonna do. If you have any problems, you just call them and they'll find a solution to your problem. For my recent claim, my oven went out. They replaced it. They first sent out the technician and the technician said that it could not be fixed. They gave me an e-card to purchase it. They sent it within four days. The tech was also very courteous and told me what the problem was.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

We’ve had AHS warranty coverage on our home for nearly 2yrs and have had AHS cover our previous home for years. We put in a claim to address a major concern with our heating system that went out right before Christmas 2022. In the 5 weeks we’ve been dealing with this issue we’ve had 4 technicians out to look at our heating system. All of them agreeing that the main unit needs to be replaced. AHS has been very slow to address this repair/replacement, taking over a month. Meanwhile my family, including our small children, are experiencing temperatures as low as the high 40’s inside our home. Calling AHS hasn’t expedited anything for me and no one that I speak with can seem to help us.

Finally today I’m told that they’ve authorized repairs, but they won’t explain what is being repaired, only that my out-of-pocket is thousands of dollars. No one will tell me what specifically is being repaired or replaced and how much AHS is contributing. No invoice has been sent. I can’t get a supervisor or manager to reach out to me and address my concerns despite multiple calls every other day. It’s already frustrating to deal with home repairs and this experience has only added unnecessary stress to the whole circumstance. It doesn’t feel like AHS stands behind its claim to help me feel “confident and in control”.

Mike,

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

AHS gives me satisfaction knowing that they will come out and take care of things in the home. Island Breeze came out for my HVAC claim and they were very good. I also have a leaky water heater right now. I called them Friday. A tech came out on Wednesday and he did an estimate. I didn't hear anything on Thursday. So I called on Friday. They told me that the only thing that they do is submit the estimate to AHS. If this whole thing is busted, it's gonna flood into another room, so I'm not really happy at this point.

American Home Shield response

I apologize for the inconvenience. My name is Stacy & I've just sent you an email to obtain more information about your experience & assist with unresolved issues. I look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

Air Essentials came out for an ac issue. They were able to make some adjustments that day, that gave me some air. But there was a part that was needed and they ordered it. Within a week, they were back out there to put the part on and everything was good to go. I'm very satisfied with the services that AHS provides. It is a benefit having it because when major appliances go out that are covered, it's better to pay the $75 fee and get someone out there that's qualified to do the work and to get it done right and not have to come out of your pocket with thousands of dollars.

Charles,

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I filed a claim for a leaky sink drain in my guest bathroom. A contractor contacted me the same day. They were outstanding. They were in and out, clean and quick. They fixed the issue and explained what they did in detail. I'd highly recommend American Home Shield. It's a good way to make sure that you're covered if something unexpected happens. It gives you the peace of mind that you know you're not gonna get some outrageous bill. It's easy to use and they have great customer service. I don't have to go into a phone book or on the internet to try and find someone to fix an issue when it arises. I have a one-stop shop for all of that. I am extremely pleased with the whole experience.

Anthony,

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

We pay the $100 deductible but AHS never sends anybody to come fix our problem. It's because there are no contractors around here that work with them and the ones who don't work with them, American Home Shield won't take. The biggest problem with us is that we have a very old house that has a boiler system and we've been working on it for a couple of years now, trying to get it figured out. And we sort of have, but we did it ourselves. AHS doesn't have enough contractors in our area to service that and the issue went on for months and months. But they finally got somebody to come out here that knew what they were talking about. We got a plumber who helped my husband, but my husband did most of the work.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

Mr. Appliance of Cleveland came out recently for the refrigerator. They did a great job. The guy was very polite. He was timely. He showed what to do if it gives another problem, where to look and what are the symptoms I would see in the future, which is excellent. That's the kind of service he provides. However, usually, I have to repeat myself multiple times. You give American Home Shield all this information. The contractor calls you and have to ask the same question, so you have to give it a second time. Then they come and do an assessment. I had to give video. I had to offer a couple of pictures to American Home Shield so they could properly diagnose. Then the experts had to diagnose it again. They wanna make sure they got the right stuff.

They show up and have to order a part they don't have. It comes to our house within a week. There's no instruction that I am supposed to call somebody telling the part arrived. Somewhere out about a month later, the service provider calls and says, "We're cancelling this appointment that was on our schedule because we have not received confirmation that the part has been in." But we've had the part in our house for three weeks. American Home Shield calls me the day after they cancelled that sales call and says, "We'd like to reschedule your sales call since your part hasn't arrived." I tell them, "The part's been here. Don't you track the parts? You guys ordered them."

I had another contractor come for another air conditioner. American Home Shield charged me the money for the contractor to come. A guy came and said they couldn't fix it. When American Home Shield called, I explained what it was. I said it's a small air conditioner for a single room in order to keep the temperature controlled. They did not say it wasn't covered. The contractor left saying it wasn't covered. It happened again. I had a small refrigerator. I had to take pictures of it and send it to American Home Shield. They said they'd send somebody out. When they came, the guy started working on it. They couldn't figure out how to fix it and tried to get the parts. When he called American Home Shield to get paid, American Home Shield said, "We don't cover beer fridges." I've been satisfied with all the providers but simple communication between us and American Home Shield could have made those experiences better.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

A switch from another company was placed wrong. So, I had to call another company out. When I called American Home Shield back to let them know that something still wasn't working, I had to open up another work order because that particular company would not come back out to fix the issue that they did something wrong with. So, I ended up paying two separate fees for the same incident.

I have a unit that takes the Freon and there's no way of holding that. But if the AC needs service, all of that Freon just goes away. I have to pay for that Freon to come back in, which is $100 a pound. That's a crazy number. That is not covered. So, I'm going to look into something else here in the near future to see if I can either update the policy to where that's taken care of, or if it's not taken care of through AHS, I have to find someone else to do that.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I was having water issues with the plumbing. Water wasn't coming out correctly. I contacted American Home Shield and they called the company to come and schedule the appointment for me to come out. They tried to fix whatever that was going on at the time. It was good. The process was easy. But I'm still having issues with the master shower. They said that my water pressure was too high and they couldn't do anything about it. I just called another company to come and help me out with it. I've heard a lot of negative things about AHS doesn't cover a lot of items except the AC units and water heaters. But plumbing issues, they hardly ever cover anything. I wouldn't recommend them if it's for plumbing.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

A contractor with American Home Shield just did our washer. I like that they were fast and efficient. But for the dishwasher, not so much. We got the runaround. I had to explain to them we were using the KitchenAid warranty and they came out three times and kept changing out the same part. The gentleman just went ahead and had them cash us out so we could get a new dishwasher.

I also used American Home Shield for our HVAC. We had one company come out, but they were shady. I called American Home Shield back and asked if we could get the same company we had out the year prior that had already worked on it. They explained to me we could have the same person come out. I contacted them and they contacted American Home Shield. They fixed the problem. They didn't like the fact that the other company was trying to fix something that would cost more.

I like the guys from the HVAC company that's been out. With the washer, I always assumed that we were gonna get the same technician because they've already been here and they know what's wrong. We got somebody out. There was a part missing. He said, “If the part’s not here, I'm not gonna touch it. I'm just gonna have them replace the whole unit because that part is gonna take another three weeks.” I felt like he didn't wanna do the work. The companies that American Home Shield has come out to do the service calls need to be better. They should be legit companies and not fly-by-night companies that are open one day then closed the next.

When Sears came out to fix the dishwasher, the guy asked, “When they came out, did they do any electrical on the dishwasher?” I said no. He said, "There are a lot of wires that have been redone." I told him they never touched any of that. The dishwasher leaked for a few months due to that. It ruined our flooring. But overall, everyone's been great. Our daughter bought a home, and I recommended American Home Shield to her and she got them. It's the same case with my brother. He bought a house and got American Home Shield.

Mary,

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

My dryer stopped working and my stovetop would only work on high. A repairman came out initially. He said he had to order some parts and would be back. He was able to fix the dryer temporarily until he came back in a couple of weeks. I like that it was easy to put in the order and get it taken care of.

Jamie,

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

American Home Shield does a good job when I call them. Contractors have been here. I'm pleased with them. They're clean, did a good job, let me know what's going on and what they've done. They're personal. I have a jacuzzi bathtub. It's Octagon and I had been bathing in it. I looked down right under the stopper and I could see the bottom of the ground. I don't know if it had frozen. The water was in it at one time. And I never realized it. So, I've been letting that water go out under the house. You unplug it and you walk off, you draw. But they fixed it.

It took them longer because it was cold weather. But they called and said they were headed this way. I thought I had to wait. Because I opened up places so it would be dry under there. I tried to help them out. I was pleased when they got here. It didn't take them 20 minutes to go under there and fix it. That top had fallen down and they had to glue it. The tech even checked my other bathroom. I had a little leak, he caulked it and tightened it up, and said, "Everything is taken care of." I felt like I was blessed. I've told everybody about it.

The dryer was the same deal. All of a sudden, it quit heating. I thought, "It's probably just a heating element." I try to fix everything if I can. But I looked at it. That guy came in, was excellent. I had no idea what a heating element looked like. I pictured hunting a tiny something that you unplug and have to buy a new one. I asked him if I could vacuum inside the dryer before, and he said, "Yes, ma'am." They're great, polite, did a good job, didn't leave a mess. I wouldn't call anybody else but them.

Sandra,

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

I had an excellent experience. The techs did some work with the HVAC, and they were very pleasant. With American Home Shield, I have peace of mind, especially if major appliances were to stop working. I know they're gonna provide the best vendors to come out, so I don't have to worry about looking for that myself. I trust that they will send out qualified technicians.

Barbara,
    Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated.

We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Take Care.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

My dishwasher was broken. The contractor had to order a part, and when that came in, they came and installed it, and everything was wonderful. My clothes washer died this year and it was replaced. I would have had those expenses. So, I'm happy.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

We were without heat in the first floor of our home in January for 12 days due to an HVAC repair approved by American Home Shield. While they dispatched a contractor to diagnose the problem in 48 hours, this contractor(ATR, Richmond Va) had not ordered the part required after 6 days, and had no idea when they would get it; they said they were limited to certain places to buy it, and would not agree to call me with any status updates. The online dashboard from AHS read "service completed" while all this was going on, and there was no online option to report a problem.

Reaching either company by phone took ridiculous amounts of time, and when I did reach one they advised me to talk to the other for an update. When I reached a live customer service person at AHS, they would not expedite for quicker resolution - they said they'd give the contractor another week to "try" to find the part. (I found it by make/model # in 10 minutes on Amazon.)

The customer service person at AHS actually told me they wouldn't count weekend days in the time I was waiting for heat, because the contractor could only search for the part on business days. I asked to speak to a supervisor; she had to put in a "ticket" and ask someone to call me back in 24 hours. They did, exactly 24 hours later - with no resolution, a complete repeat of the conversation from the day before. I had to call another contractor on my own who thankfully resolved the problem, start to finish, in 4 days. (They also had to order the part).

When I called to cancel my contract I had to go through 3 people to do it; the "escalated" supervisor I had spoken with a few days prior told me they would pay part of my expense for having to do this on my own, but I learned that was only possible if I agreed to keep my contract. I was an American Home Shield customer for two years without a single claim -this was my first and last experience with them. If negative stars were an option, that would be my review.

American Home Shield response

I certainly hate to hear that you have received less than satisfactory service & I apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for sharing your feedback. Have a great week.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

The contractor did a great job for the heater that was broken. Having American Home Shield, I like that I don't have to worry about who I have to call, I just call them. I don't like the price. But they'll replace things and fix it. It's a good program. You make your claim online. By the next day or that day, somebody calls you. So far, I'm very satisfied.

American Home Shield Company Information