Alfa Homeowners Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This company is fine until you actually file a claim. Our local office in Grand Bay have some very nice people and believe they truly are trying to help. As mentioned above we have been with ALFA for over 25 years. I have had a few claims. One was Katrina, I had 23k damage, lost shingles, water damage to interior. Our local office was overwhelmed. We did not get much support, we did get an adjuster (contracted by Alfa) some weeks later. His estimates were a joke, I had to replace shingles, tar paper, etc. We had sheet rock damage, insulation damage, etc. I was not home at the time the "ALFA Contractor" did his estimate, but he estimated 7500.00 damages. I could not buy the shingles for that. We were stuck with 17k out of pocket expense.

Fortunately we had money in our saving to cover all damages. ALFA would not send another adjuster out. I asked for copy, I did receive... ALFA adjuster wanted us to just paint over all the buckled ceiling with Kilz paint, no mention of replacing soaked insulation, soaked carpet, no labor cost, no removal cost, nothing. Second claim 10 years later, 5 wheel parked adjacent to the home Open Range. The 5th wheel had an electrical malfunction that ignited a fire. The fire leaped the distance to my house 6-8 ft. Completely destroyed both 5th wheel and home. ALFA insured both units, what a nightmare. Alfa sent a large loss adjuster from Georgia. The adjuster was not experienced, had no knowledge of dwelling construction, only ALFA estimating program. Estimated total loss at 50k.

I have to admit, it was difficult to listen to such an inexperience person. My policy that I was paying for 15 years was for 175k. Alfa had now stretched me out for four months with nothing but investigators and tarps to cover damage. I still am paying a house note, trailer note, finding a place to stay, purchasing new everything, clothes, etc. Alfa meanwhile are still dragging their feet offering their version of "Cash Value". This is a number that only ALFA can determine. I didn't have a copy of my for policy,(Lost in Fire). The adjuster had a copy, he told me he could not give me a copy, but if I asked a question he would try to answer it. I wrote several e-mails and made several phone calls.

Eventually Alfa decided to start moving forward. I recommended getting a quote to rebuild. They agreed. I organized a contracts from Angie's list. His estimate was 205k. The inexperienced Alfa adjuster, said that the estimate was way off, extremely high. I asked them to use one of their contractors, they agreed. He came out and estimate 195k, minus the security system I had, minus the hardwood flooring we installed, minus the metal roof. The security system is what was on when the fire took place. I actually had video of the fire starting and pinpointed the location, which Alfa is currently using to pursue payment from Open Range.

Eventually ALFA paid the policy house value. However after depreciation on content, we could not replace a lot of the items. Te term replacement does not mean the item will be replaced, it will be adjusted and paid at a discounted rate. I believe we received roughly 40% of the value of our content. We are still going to depositions, and arbitration almost three years later. I would not wish a fire on anyone, but if it does happen, ALFA insurance company is definitely not going to be a shoulder to lean on. If anything, they will be the ones trying to knock the chair out from under you while you figure out how to house, cloth,and feed your family. I have learned a lot.

The local agents are nice, but when it comes to a claim, they send in outsiders to delay for a settlement. Do not count on ALFA insurance company for help. The outsiders they send have no sympathy for someone in this game. These people are out to reduce claims, however they can. Delay, not return calls, underestimate cost, non-cooperative, hold back information. I can't speak for all insurance companies, but I can sure speak about the one that tripped me up a couple of times. I will be changing insurance companies, but have to wait three years as I have a fire claim, even though no fault of my own. I am the one that sees higher premiums and inability to switch companies with this claim hanging over me.

Last thing, our neighbor who called 911 when she saw the fire, was badgered by the ALFA investigator. She said she wouldn't call 911 again if she saw another house on fire. Wow! Alfa not only treated us like a criminal, they were rude to the neighbors. My daughter was in the house at the time of the fire, my wife was notified and called my son to get my daughter out. I was working out of town and was called about 15 minutes after the fire being discovered. You just can't make this stuff up.

I have had homeowners insurance with this firm since the acquisition of my home, eight months ago. They have accepted my timely premium payments, but I have had no other contact or communication with them. Too short a time has passed, and no issues have arisen. Therefore I am unable to provide a responsible statement of experience.

We live in Tornado Alley. We had one go over us. It blew out the studs that held up our porch roof. It took off most of our roof shingles. Knocked out some windows and knocked down our chimney. Our agent came by four days later and we had our check in three days.

We bought our house almost 20 years ago and have had this company for the whole time. Luckily, we have never had a major claim. We did lose power for 10 days one year and lost all of the food in our refrigerator/freezer. We submitted a claim for this, as we did not need to pay a deductible, and it was handled very quickly without any problems at all. A very pleasant company to do business with and would recommend them.

Well, we have had Alfa insurance for 17 years! We have NEVER filed ANY kind of claim. Our house got broken into while we were at work. We called the next day to get an adjuster to come look at the damage (both exterior doors destroyed). The guy informed us that they were closed the night before because of their company christmas party. They NEVER sent anyone, so we got it fixed ($1300) because we're not leaving our house open to anybody who wants to walk in. They stole $1000 worth of electronics. Then we get a letter in the mail saying they weren't going to cover ANYTHING because an adjuster didn't come out. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! I promise it's NOT WORTH IT!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alfa?

I'll start by saying my husband and I had Alfa since we were married and built our home back in 1996. Alfa carried the insurance on our home and vehicles since that time. We only had one claim with them for wind damage to our roof and it was less than $2500. We used the money to put on a new metal roof. That is the one and only claim we have ever had on our home or vehicles..

My first beef with Alfa came several years ago when our local agent talked my husband into changing the coverage on our home. She came out, made some suggestions, and told my husband we would be saving money, if we tweaked our policy a bit. Well that was a flat out lie! Instead of saving money, our premiums increased. My husband and I were both very upset, but we had been with the company so long, we just let it slide. Then a few years ago when our area was devastated by tornadoes, we heard rumors that Alfa was not wanting to honor their commitment to pay out, in many of the cases. We heard they cancelled a lot of people during that time. That did not sit very well with us.

Fast forward to January of this year when we were very surprised to receive a letter of cancellation from them. It gave no specific reason other than we no longer met their criteria. My husband heard they were no longer wanting to cover homes over 10yrs old, and since we were in one of the tornado-stricken areas (even though our home wasn't damaged), we just assumed that must be the reason.

They mailed a refund check minus the dues we had just recently paid! We ended up having to scramble to find insurance before the cancellation notice took effect. We did so and ended up going with another company, who offered the same coverage for half the price that Alfa was charging. We also changed our vehicles over to another company. After switching, we received a bill from Alfa for around $15. The statement was very generic and did not specifically state what the $15 was for. My husband went in person to the local office and was told it was a late fee for one of the vehicles. He told the representative he was not paying, as we had cancelled our vehicles and no longer had house or car insurance with them.

She agreed to write off the amount. While she was doing so, she looked in their system and told my husband the real reason we had received the cancellation notice was because of our dogs! We own, train and show American Bulldogs. The representative told my husband they no longer provide coverage to homeowners of bully breeds or Rottweilers. My husband told the representative it had never been a problem before. When we signed up with them years ago, the agent was fully aware of the dogs. He stated we have owned these dogs long before we started service with them, and have owned them the whole time. She said it was their policy since 2006.

The kicker is that we insured our 16 ft dog trailer, which we take with us to the shows. It has the name of our kennel and website plastered all over it. The trailer was inspected by an Alfa agent AFTER 2006 and nothing was ever said about it. If they don't want to provide coverage for potential dog bites, why not just state that in the policy and exclude it, instead of unfairly targeting specific breeds.

It appears that Alfa was just looking for any excuse to cancel us, even though we always paid our dues on time, and was a loyal customer for all those years. We also found out that several of our neighbors also received cancellation notices about the same time, which makes me suspicious. I really believe it has more to do with no longer wanting to provide for storm coverage in our area, even though they used the dogs as the reason for our personal cancellation. At any rate, we're now saving money with another company, so thank you and good riddance Alfa!

I've had my home insured with Alfa for 22 years; car insurance with them 27 years. The last 6 years, my homeowners insurance has gone from $400 a year to $1,377. Last year, I had to go to a $2k deductible to lower it from $1,600 they were going to charge me to $1,300 a year. I looked and they have my home valued at $117,400. I have a 1,150 square foot home. I looked online at 3 local builders in Mobile that build on your lot. God forbid anything happen to make my home a total loss, but I could build a brand new LARGER home on this lot for $65,900 with the first one I looked up. Second one I looked up was a larger house for $68,400. The 3rd builder I looked up had $87,300 for a much larger home with a double garage! Now for the $117,400 Alfa is charging me for, I could have a 4-bedroom, 3 bath home with a double garage, according to one builder's website!

They have my personal property at almost $60K. There is NO way I have 60k worth of stuff, including clothing in this house! I never made a lot of money before I retired, so it's not like I shopped high dollar stores. I did go in to discuss all of this with my agent, and they offered to raise my deductible to $5K, to lower it about $100 a year. She told me if I didn't have to have the "wind coverage" on my policy due to mortgage, my total would be less than $400 a year (what it was 6 years ago). I could have gone the rest of my life without hearing that! I see why so many elderly drop their insurance now. I just want to know how in the world they get their values from on their computers. Are they going by rebuilding in CA or NY? How are all of these insurance companies getting away with this? I've called, many are not even writing policies in this area anymore. Can't someone put a freeze on homeowners insurance rates? I'm quite sure after writing this, I'll get canceled next year.

I was a customer of Alfa Insurance for 17 years. I filed one car claim 15 years ago for under $2,000 and have never filed a homeowner’s claim. I rented my home out for eight years and had two different tenants leave substantial damage. I paid for everything out of my pocket. The last tenants claimed that they were getting sick because of mold. The house was tested, and one type of mold was elevated. I did need to fix the moisture problem and got rid of the mold that was in the house. The tenants were going to sue me for medical bills, so I filed a claim.

They sent an adjuster out and did their own tests. They determined that the levels were not high enough to make anyone sick, but they said the house needed repairs. It was unoccupied so it did not meet their standards, and that’s why they were terminating my policy. They sent the termination to my ex-wife, an address that I have never lived in, not to mention the fact that the local insurance representative never called me to discuss fixing the things that needed to be fixed so they could insure the house again. When I called him after my ex-wife called me with the letter, he just read to me what my ex-wife had already told me. I got the feeling they did not want my business.

Well, the house is fixed and mold free; and I am moving back into it. But I can assure you that I will never let Alfa Insurance insure anything of mine again. I called the corporate office, and they did not seem to care. The regional manager was supposed to call me but never did. That is the kind of customer service you can expect from Alfa. You have been warned.

I am in the same boat as most of the other people in here. Alfa sent a letter stating they were not going to renew our homeowner's insurance due to the weather in the area (my area had very little damage from the tornado this past year but some major damage over 15 miles away). I’ve never made a claim on the house, I have great credit, and my home is less than 7 years old. But unlike the other folks here, my husband was the addressee on the letter and he never opened it. He's a fireman and not home much and certainly not home on a regular schedule like most people. So, I take care of the household billing and payments and whatnot but I don't open mail addressed to him. You can call me old fashioned. And for those accounts, I set up auto payments.

Well, this got me. I would have thought something as important as your homeowner's insurance policy being cancelled would have warranted a personal telephone call. But boy, was I wrong! It's the beginning of December and apparently I have been without insurance since the beginning of October! Of course, I could have killed my husband for not reading his mail but I'm definitely madder at Alfa for their shoddy practices.

I have had my homeowner's insurance with Alfa for 12 years and have never filed a claim on my house. Though they have never had to pay a claim on my house every year without fail, they raise my rates without fail and I always get the same canned answer - cost of building materials increased. Finally last year, I complained to both the company and my agent about the continued rate increases vs. having never paid any claims. Again, the same old tired excuses from my agent and nothing from Alfa themselves.

Then the other day, I got this nice little form letter from Alfa informing me that at the end of my policy term this year that they will not be renewing my policy. Evidently, some actuary has decided that they have gotten the maximum amount of money from me without having to pay anything and they are going to bail before they have to. I understand that Alabama and the Gulf states have had some severe storm damage over the last several years and most of the insurance companies have taken a beating in claims. If you go back and look at just about every storm and the damage it caused, there is a pattern. I live outside of the areas generally damaged by the local storms. Charge the people that live in the high risk areas higher rates, not the people who live in the stable areas, is very, very bad business. I would caution anyone who is looking for any kind of insurance to look somewhere else before choosing Alfa.

January 2012, Alfa cancelled my homeowners insurance for which I paid premiums since 1987 with no claims. I retired from the State of Alabama in 2004 and took out a loan from Regions Bank for some needed repairs on my house. The repair people turned out to be cons and scammers who destroyed more than they repaired. They also damaged my basic yard maintenance tools and stole treasured possessions which cannot be replaced. Today, I have a notice from Regions Bank that there is no insurance on my property, which was a condition of the loan I got from them to pay the scammers. I cannot get other insurance because of the condition of my property.

My mother and father's farm was destroyed after the April 27th tornado. They have Alfa insurance, with everything on the policy. They wanted to switch companies because they felt Alfa did not do what they should have after the tornado. They went to change companies from Alfa to Farmer's. The agent at Farmer's showed my father where there were 2 claims filed from Alfa after the tornado. You can't change companies after 2 claims have been filed. Alfa can't do this, it is all one policy. They did this where they can't change and went up on their premiums. I am sure they are doing this to all their clients. Please help! This is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen and should! They are elderly and I am sure they are not the only people going through this.

In May 2010, I filed a claim to have repair made to my home due to soil movement (the foundation needed adjustment). A previous claim was filed a couple of years prior (2008 or 2009) and ALFA paid for similar damage. The claim in 2010 was denied and remains on my record as a claim and the insurance company increased my deductible and rate. They stated it would be three years before this claim is removed and the deductible lowered. I was told by the agent (Allyn **) that he would have this removed from my record as a claim, due to them paying a previous claim for the same similar situation (he said paying the previous claim was a mistake).

On March 14, 2012, he stated that ALFA wouldn’t remove the 2010 claim from my record. That he has requested this with his supervisor and it appears they are refusing to lower my deductible. Allyn suggested I go to another insurance agency with a lower rate. Due to my claim less than 3 years ago, I have been paying higher premiums. I wouldn’t have filed the claim in 2010 if they didn’t pay the previous claim in 2008 or 2009. They set the standard when they paid the previous claim and led me to believe they would pay the claim in 2010 for the same similar problem (different area of the house). If they made a mistake with the 2008/2009 claim, they shouldn’t increase my deductible and premiums due to their mistake.

I have had Alfa insurance on one home for over 14 years and never had one claim. I have another home insured through them for over 4 years, and until now, I never had a claim on it. They also have my auto insurance.

I recently had an incident, which caused damage to a neighbor's property. Alfa sent their agent and fixed their property. Alfa then raised my premium on the first property (not part of claim) by 30%. Immediately after it renewed, they then sent me a non-renewal/termination notice on the property that did have a claim filed on it.

I have filed complaints with the MS Insurance Commissioner and will file everywhere else I can. I am a disabled combat veteran and feel that the actions of Alfa are both illegal and in violation of MS and Federal laws. Also, I have perfect credit, do not have a bankruptcy, and have never had any legal or financial actions against me. The home is in great condition, better than when they insured it. Even though we live on the Gulf Coast, there has not been a weather- / hurricane-related claim filed.

I heard on the radio last year that Alfa was going to cancel a bunch of homeowners policies because of the tornadoes in the state. I went to the agent and they told me that if I got my vehicle insured with them, they probably wouldn't cancel my homeowner's policy. I did this and have had vehicle insurance with them for almost a year. Today, 1-22-2012, I got a letter saying that they were not going to renew my homeowner's policy after it expires in May of this year. They gave the reason that "the storm activity over the past several years has resulted in tremendous losses to the insurance industry. In light of these events, this has caused many insurance companies, including Alfa, to rethink their risk management strategies. As a result we regret that we will not be offering a renewal of your homeowners policy."

They also said that this decision was not a reflection on the quality of my home or claim history. I have had this policy since 2004 and have had no claims at all. I have never missed or been late paying. I have excellent credit. I feel that if this company can drop policies for no reason other than the weather. They shouldn't be able to sell any insurance in this universe, as the weather in our known galaxy is unpredictable and dangerous. They shouldn't be able to advertise saying that they are either trustworthy or dependable. They should be forced to close the doors of that company and be held responsible for the financial and emotional pain that they have caused over 60,000 people. I think a class action law suit would be in order, not only to pay for the damage they have already caused, but to alert the public not to do business with undependable bloodsuckers like them.

I received a letter on December 15, 2011 informing me of a non-renewal policy termination date 4/21/2012. The letter states storm activity over the past several years has caused many insurance companies, including Alfa, to rethink their risk management strategies. As a result, they regret that they will not be offering a renewal of the policy. I called Mr. Steve N. on Dec.19th and he told me that this letter was really sent to me because I did not have my car insured with Alfa and that all I had to do was to switch over to Alfa. I switched over December 19th. That was a month ago and still there’s no letter of renewal. I called and he said I should get a letter in about two weeks. So we shall see! I lost the coverage that I had with Progressive, one feature that Alfa don’t have. It’s a 25% increase on top of the value of the car that I paid for through Progressive. Everything else is the same.

I bought auto and home renters insurance. I paid $200 plus down and 37 months. At end of the first month, I discovered they had charged $380 for home rental and another $100 for fee. I canceled. The local office did not cancel at the office in TX. They sent notice for late payment. I called the local office to get canceled. I got another notice that said canceled for non payment. I had better insurance bought for $270 per year. Their excuse for the fee was that all companies charged a fee. This is not true. No refund was sent for extra funds of $200 plus paid up front.

After being with Alfa Insurance Company since 1995, I never missed an insurance premium payment. I have recently received notice (11/18/2011) that they are cancelling my insurance because of storm weather in another part of the state that didn’t affect my area. Is their any legal action that I can pursue to save my policy and my home? I just paid my six month premium and membership fees. No one has money to give away like this.

The results of this problem are:

1. Lost of insurance premium.
2. Lost of home owner’s insurance.
3. Lost of recent premium payment and membership fees.
4. Home owner’s insurance protection.

5. Inability to find a compatible coverage for the fixed price I have paid all these years.

They kept my payment while canceling my insurance. They cashed my check for $98.39 on 09/15 and sent me a letter on 09/18 asking for another $63.56. Then, they sent the second check back with a letter that they couldn't renew my insurance but they kept my $98.39 check. How sorry is that? I had to come up with more money to get insurance with someone else. I hate Alfa, they had already done me wrong on my house insurance. It's the whole reason that my payment was late in the first place.

We have been customers with Alfa for 23 years. But recently, we received a notice that our homeowners would not be renewed at the end of the year due to the recent tornadoes that touched down in Alabama. I called them and they said that we were being cancelled because our home was over 10 years old.

I don't see how they can do this to their most loyal customers. We also just switched our auto insurance to them because of rumors of being cancelled on if you didn't have both auto and homeowners insurance with them. I expressed to them why we were switching our auto to them and we were not informed that our homeowners would be cancelled anyway!

Very disappointed with Alfa! Not only will we be looking for homeowners insurance but auto insurance as well. I think that Alfa will be losing more policies than they want to lose!

I have been with ALFA for over 12 years. I have always had a good ALFA agent, Beth, who took care of all my needs and made sure that my home and family was safe. However, when Beth left the company, I was given an agent that didn't care about me as a customer but just someone who had a policy with the company. About 2 years ago, I meet with him to make sure that my home was fully covered. I had done over $30,000 of additional work on my home and wanted to make sure that my home policy would cover the additional cost. The agent did increase my coverage amount but failed to inform me that he was reducing my policy. He only informed me that the policy he was providing me with was the best policy for my situation.

In May 2010, my home was burglarized and over $5,000 was stolen from my home. When I called to report the claim, I was informed by the adjuster that my policy did not cover theft. When I called the district manager, Mr. Buddy ***, he called my agent to check on the situation. He called me back later and informed me that the reason I was given the construction policy was because I did not have rails on my back steps. I informed him that I was never told about rail on my back steps. Also, I explained to him that I never had rail on the back steps and I had insurance with ALFA for over 12 years.

Several weeks have gone by since the incident and yes, I have spoken with the agent who gave me a policy that only covered fire if started by the act of "God" and wind damage which we all know is an act of "God." While the agent apologized about the situation, this does not replace the items that I lost or repair the damage done to my home. I put my trust in a company and an agent and they both failed me. I have filed a complaint with the company. They claim they are investigating the incident. However, no agent or member of the company have asked me for a list of items damaged or stolen. This tells me that they are only playing a game with me. I need help on how to obtain legal help or whether I have a case against the insurance company.

This is an update to a complaint given 9/27/08. We had received notice that our insurance was dropped. I saw agent noted above and he advised me this was not so. Just utter and complete relief!

My husband and I recieved letter from our mortgage company today, Saturday September 27, 2008 that our homeowner's insurance through Alfa has been terminated as of 9/11/2008. We have never missed a house payment which includes escrow account for insurance and taxes since buying our home 1999. January 2008 I went on medical leave from my nursing position.

I am in process of trying to get social security disability. In January 2008 when I knew our financial status would change I called one of our credit card companies (CitiBank) to see if a plan could be made, but they informed me we must be in default for 2 months first. I tried to make whatever payments I could but their CSRs advised me to stop doing this. In the meantime they raised APR to 30% and added fee after fee. This resulted in us not being able to make the eventually over $2000.00 payment to bring account current. It was finally settled at about 60+ cents on the dollar by my husband taking a loan on his 4O1K for 5 years.

Our next creditor (also credit card) Bank of America I made an electronic payment on the due date but unfortunately it was a few hours past time and it was posted 3 days later. This caused our payment to go from a doable $160.00 per month to $300.00 per month payment due to increase in APR. I called and advised them of our situation and asked for them to return APR to something lower. They refused, and I advised them there was absolutely no money with which to pay this bill. In order to pay our house note we opted to default on the credit card bill.

Our credit score is probably in the ******. But this tactic-pay house note no matter what-has bit us in the butt as Alfa dropped our coverage (we still have not received a notice from them.). And, of course, now to try to get coverage will probably be impossible due to fact credit score is bad, but what they would charge us we would not be able to pay. I tried to work once again but am unable to and will probably take 1-2 years (beleive this is Alabama norm). We use rabbit ears on old TVs, I skip some of my medicines or half the dose as we cannot afford these, when this $10.00 per month internet special ends we will be without internet. I cut my own hair and my family's. I have asthma so we cannot be without air conditioning in summer. My husband and I drive 6 year old vehicles. We have items on craigs list. I am lost as to what more we can do.

Purchased Homeowners Insurance from Alfa in 1989, never filed a claim until 2004, for water damage, the result of a hole in fiberglass bathtub. Alfa sent their adjuster, who inspected the damage, wrote the claim and Alfa issued payment. Thereinafter repairs were made. Damage involved bathroom flooring as well, as connecting room.

On or around June 2005, we filed a second claim for damage to our cedar shake shingle roof, the direct result of Hurican, roof damage was realized when we noticed water coming in our childs bedroom, thus damage to roof and bedroom. Alfa told us to clean it up, dry it up and call a contractor for quote, which we did. In fact we provided two. Alfa sent out thier adjuster who, after depreciating the roof by a certain percentage which I can't recall, issued parcial payment, with balance after roof and other repairs were completed. The amount however, did not cover that which was required as down payment to replace cedar shake with cedar shake so we had to replace with asphalt shingle.

Of course value of asphalt is much less than cedar shake, but no problem we happened to prefer the look of asphalt.
Sometime later we receive notice Alfa was canceling or declining to renew our coverage.

The cost of coverage ran around 800.00 dollars yearly. 120 % replacement, content, the works.

We later learn that Alfa has reported the property had 4 or more claims in three year period due to water damage.

The fact Alfa had written the claims seperately, ie, 1 for bathroom floor, 1 for connecting room. 1 for roof and 1 for childs bedroom.

Of course finding another provider willing to write the property is impossible. Thus, our mortgage provider WaMu takes out coverage on the property. The costs is more than 3000.00 per year and for much less coverage.
AQlfa has turned a deaf ear to our plea for assistance in correcting their error.

We also had life and automobile insurance with Alfa.

Where do I begin,

Economic hardship from increase cost for coverage, inability to obtain comparable coverage due to Alfa's wrongful reporting of water damage. Increased mortgage payments, causing us to seek relief through bankrupcy. Mental anguish. Inability to sale property, as any potential buyer could not obtain coverage at a reasonable rate. Thereby, devaluing our 265,000.00 dollar home to nothing.

I had insurance on my home and life with alfa. I filled a claim on my home when we had wind damage to our roof. then in december, our storage building caught fire, I received a letter from alfa telling me that they would not renew my policy, I called the agent and he told me yes they would he would make some phone calls, don't worry about it he told me. He said he would handle it. I called him back a week later and he told me he was working on it and they would renew it. They did not renew it and therefore I was left with no homeowners insurance.

On top of that, I husband passed away in 06 and now they tell me that I do not have life insurance on him. Funny all the other policies on the family was still good.

I complained yesterday about Alfa Insurance and I also had sent an email to the company. It was concerning a letter that I had received from them informing me that my renewel premium would include a flood exclusion. My agent called me early this morning to explain to me that my home was still covered from damage due to storms and winds which was my concern. I was impressed with his prompt reply and I want to recant my complaint that I had addressed to this web page yesterday.

I just received a letter from ALFA Insurance stating that they will not cover any flood damage. The exclusion reads, 'will exclude any and all damages resulting from flood, flash flood, surface water, waves, tidal water, overflow of a body of water, spray from any of these, whether or not driven by wind. It seems I'll be paying full price for half the coverage. I don't even live in a flood zone area! I have been a customer for many years and I don't understand why I'm getting this new exclusion unless it's a way to increase the premium without violating state laws. I really don't appreciate their methods of business.

After 19 years with ALFA homeowners insurance they are canceling my wind and hail coverage. Seven years at the present location in which my house was built to Alabama and Mobile county building codes for hurricanes. I'm approxitmatly 25 miles from the coast in a heavy wooded high area. Not only is ALFA cancelling me but also my neighbors around me. I don't live in a luxury house or a condo on the water, but a moderate 3 bedroom house.

ALFA is recommending that I go with Alabama Insurance underwriters association. Otherwise known as the alabama Beach Pool. I'm not even on the beach or in the class that can afford a beach house. I notified the Govenor, congressman, and Al. Dept. of Insurance with no relief.

My homeowners insurance has gone fom $350.00 in 1999 to $3000.00 in 2007 if I elect to renew with Alfa. In 2005 my insurance was $790.00 last year it jumped to $1360.00 and now its going up? Unfortunatly my insurance comes out of my escrow account which in return makes my house payment go up.

In 2004 I filled a claim on homeowners for a storage building that burnt. Alfa would not renew my insurance. I called the agent and he told me not to worry about it that he would speak to the home office and that they would renew my insurance. But they didn't.

I also have life insurance with Alfa and they told me to pay on the policy for 10 years and it would take care of us the rest of our lives. My husband passed away this year and when I called Alfa they told me that I did not have life insurance on my husband. However the other 3 policies that I had taken out at the same time was still good. When I called the agent after I had paid on the policies for 10years he assured me that the policies would take care of us the rest of our lives. Now Alfa is claiming that the policy ran out in 2004(same year as our homeowners claim).

My daughter recently married and was purchasing a house strictly based on her credit (which is good ) and the house being solely in her name. When she applied for home owners insurance she was turned down because of her new husband's credit rating. He is not on the mortgage or deed and she is the responisble party for the insurance. She has had Alfa car insurance for about 13 years.

She must seek alternate insurance at a higher rate and may not even be able to close on her house because of this action.

Alfa Homeowners Insurance Company Profile