Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes
Alfa Homeowners Insurance
1.92/5

Alfa Homeowners Insurance

Members of Assisted Living Federation of America (ALFA) can get auto insurance through ALFA Insurance. The company doesn't participate in *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch. To get quotes from verified partners, call InsuraMatch today.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

33 Alfa Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 11, 2019

I've had Alfa Homeowners Insurance for years, only filed a claim once. I recently had an adjuster come in to look at my floors, which are damaged due to a fiberglass tub. I had the house inspected before I moved in. Everything was good, now that I need to file a claim, it has been denied. So what the heck am I paying my money for? I was under the impression that I had my house covered from A to Z but "OBVIOUSLY" that's not the case. I just had a few recent surgeries so I'm off on medical leave so I cannot afford to replace the floors. That's what I thought I was paying insurance for. This crap is a joke.

Original review: June 22, 2018

My car was hit by one of their customers. I made a claim with them right away and they have since been TERRIBLE to work with. They don't answer the phone or respond to emails. When you do finally get someone on the phone they are unprofessional and find ways to stall the process further. I've been without a car for a month now and I still have no answers on when and if they will help make arrangements for repairs. I am frustrated and very disappointed with the way they run their company. Avoid doing business with them if you can.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2016

This company is fine until you actually file a claim. Our local office in Grand Bay have some very nice people and believe they truly are trying to help. As mentioned above we have been with ALFA for over 25 years. I have had a few claims. One was Katrina, I had 23k damage, lost shingles, water damage to interior. Our local office was overwhelmed. We did not get much support, we did get an adjuster (contracted by Alfa) some weeks later. His estimates were a joke, I had to replace shingles, tar paper, etc. We had sheet rock damage, insulation damage, etc. I was not home at the time the "ALFA Contractor" did his estimate, but he estimated 7500.00 damages. I could not buy the shingles for that. We were stuck with 17k out of pocket expense.

Fortunately we had money in our saving to cover all damages. ALFA would not send another adjuster out. I asked for copy, I did receive... ALFA adjuster wanted us to just paint over all the buckled ceiling with Kilz paint, no mention of replacing soaked insulation, soaked carpet, no labor cost, no removal cost, nothing. Second claim 10 years later, 5 wheel parked adjacent to the home Open Range. The 5th wheel had an electrical malfunction that ignited a fire. The fire leaped the distance to my house 6-8 ft. Completely destroyed both 5th wheel and home. ALFA insured both units, what a nightmare. Alfa sent a large loss adjuster from Georgia. The adjuster was not experienced, had no knowledge of dwelling construction, only ALFA estimating program. Estimated total loss at 50k.

I have to admit, it was difficult to listen to such an inexperience person. My policy that I was paying for 15 years was for 175k. Alfa had now stretched me out for four months with nothing but investigators and tarps to cover damage. I still am paying a house note, trailer note, finding a place to stay, purchasing new everything, clothes, etc. Alfa meanwhile are still dragging their feet offering their version of "Cash Value". This is a number that only ALFA can determine. I didn't have a copy of my for policy,(Lost in Fire). The adjuster had a copy, he told me he could not give me a copy, but if I asked a question he would try to answer it. I wrote several e-mails and made several phone calls.

Eventually Alfa decided to start moving forward. I recommended getting a quote to rebuild. They agreed. I organized a contracts from Angie's list. His estimate was 205k. The inexperienced Alfa adjuster, said that the estimate was way off, extremely high. I asked them to use one of their contractors, they agreed. He came out and estimate 195k, minus the security system I had, minus the hardwood flooring we installed, minus the metal roof. The security system is what was on when the fire took place. I actually had video of the fire starting and pinpointed the location, which Alfa is currently using to pursue payment from Open Range.

Eventually ALFA paid the policy house value. However after depreciation on content, we could not replace a lot of the items. Te term replacement does not mean the item will be replaced, it will be adjusted and paid at a discounted rate. I believe we received roughly 40% of the value of our content. We are still going to depositions, and arbitration almost three years later. I would not wish a fire on anyone, but if it does happen, ALFA insurance company is definitely not going to be a shoulder to lean on. If anything, they will be the ones trying to knock the chair out from under you while you figure out how to house, cloth,and feed your family. I have learned a lot.

The local agents are nice, but when it comes to a claim, they send in outsiders to delay for a settlement. Do not count on ALFA insurance company for help. The outsiders they send have no sympathy for someone in this game. These people are out to reduce claims, however they can. Delay, not return calls, underestimate cost, non-cooperative, hold back information. I can't speak for all insurance companies, but I can sure speak about the one that tripped me up a couple of times. I will be changing insurance companies, but have to wait three years as I have a fire claim, even though no fault of my own. I am the one that sees higher premiums and inability to switch companies with this claim hanging over me.

Last thing, our neighbor who called 911 when she saw the fire, was badgered by the ALFA investigator. She said she wouldn't call 911 again if she saw another house on fire. Wow! Alfa not only treated us like a criminal, they were rude to the neighbors. My daughter was in the house at the time of the fire, my wife was notified and called my son to get my daughter out. I was working out of town and was called about 15 minutes after the fire being discovered. You just can't make this stuff up.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I have had homeowners insurance with this firm since the acquisition of my home, eight months ago. They have accepted my timely premium payments, but I have had no other contact or communication with them. Too short a time has passed, and no issues have arisen. Therefore I am unable to provide a responsible statement of experience.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

We live in Tornado Alley. We had one go over us. It blew out the studs that held up our porch roof. It took off most of our roof shingles. Knocked out some windows and knocked down our chimney. Our agent came by four days later and we had our check in three days.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alfa?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

We bought our house almost 20 years ago and have had this company for the whole time. Luckily, we have never had a major claim. We did lose power for 10 days one year and lost all of the food in our refrigerator/freezer. We submitted a claim for this, as we did not need to pay a deductible, and it was handled very quickly without any problems at all. A very pleasant company to do business with and would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

Well, we have had Alfa insurance for 17 years! We have NEVER filed ANY kind of claim. Our house got broken into while we were at work. We called the next day to get an adjuster to come look at the damage (both exterior doors destroyed). The guy informed us that they were closed the night before because of their company christmas party. They NEVER sent anyone, so we got it fixed ($1300) because we're not leaving our house open to anybody who wants to walk in. They stole $1000 worth of electronics. Then we get a letter in the mail saying they weren't going to cover ANYTHING because an adjuster didn't come out. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! I promise it's NOT WORTH IT!!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2014

I'll start by saying my husband and I had Alfa since we were married and built our home back in 1996. Alfa carried the insurance on our home and vehicles since that time. We only had one claim with them for wind damage to our roof and it was less than $2500. We used the money to put on a new metal roof. That is the one and only claim we have ever had on our home or vehicles..

My first beef with Alfa came several years ago when our local agent talked my husband into changing the coverage on our home. She came out, made some suggestions, and told my husband we would be saving money, if we tweaked our policy a bit. Well that was a flat out lie! Instead of saving money, our premiums increased. My husband and I were both very upset, but we had been with the company so long, we just let it slide. Then a few years ago when our area was devastated by tornadoes, we heard rumors that Alfa was not wanting to honor their commitment to pay out, in many of the cases. We heard they cancelled a lot of people during that time. That did not sit very well with us.

Fast forward to January of this year when we were very surprised to receive a letter of cancellation from them. It gave no specific reason other than we no longer met their criteria. My husband heard they were no longer wanting to cover homes over 10yrs old, and since we were in one of the tornado-stricken areas (even though our home wasn't damaged), we just assumed that must be the reason.

They mailed a refund check minus the dues we had just recently paid! We ended up having to scramble to find insurance before the cancellation notice took effect. We did so and ended up going with another company, who offered the same coverage for half the price that Alfa was charging. We also changed our vehicles over to another company. After switching, we received a bill from Alfa for around $15. The statement was very generic and did not specifically state what the $15 was for. My husband went in person to the local office and was told it was a late fee for one of the vehicles. He told the representative he was not paying, as we had cancelled our vehicles and no longer had house or car insurance with them.

She agreed to write off the amount. While she was doing so, she looked in their system and told my husband the real reason we had received the cancellation notice was because of our dogs! We own, train and show American Bulldogs. The representative told my husband they no longer provide coverage to homeowners of bully breeds or Rottweilers. My husband told the representative it had never been a problem before. When we signed up with them years ago, the agent was fully aware of the dogs. He stated we have owned these dogs long before we started service with them, and have owned them the whole time. She said it was their policy since 2006.

The kicker is that we insured our 16 ft dog trailer, which we take with us to the shows. It has the name of our kennel and website plastered all over it. The trailer was inspected by an Alfa agent AFTER 2006 and nothing was ever said about it. If they don't want to provide coverage for potential dog bites, why not just state that in the policy and exclude it, instead of unfairly targeting specific breeds.

It appears that Alfa was just looking for any excuse to cancel us, even though we always paid our dues on time, and was a loyal customer for all those years. We also found out that several of our neighbors also received cancellation notices about the same time, which makes me suspicious. I really believe it has more to do with no longer wanting to provide for storm coverage in our area, even though they used the dogs as the reason for our personal cancellation. At any rate, we're now saving money with another company, so thank you and good riddance Alfa!

Original review: July 10, 2013

I've had my home insured with Alfa for 22 years; car insurance with them 27 years. The last 6 years, my homeowners insurance has gone from $400 a year to $1,377. Last year, I had to go to a $2k deductible to lower it from $1,600 they were going to charge me to $1,300 a year. I looked and they have my home valued at $117,400. I have a 1,150 square foot home. I looked online at 3 local builders in Mobile that build on your lot. God forbid anything happen to make my home a total loss, but I could build a brand new LARGER home on this lot for $65,900 with the first one I looked up. Second one I looked up was a larger house for $68,400. The 3rd builder I looked up had $87,300 for a much larger home with a double garage! Now for the $117,400 Alfa is charging me for, I could have a 4-bedroom, 3 bath home with a double garage, according to one builder's website!

They have my personal property at almost $60K. There is NO way I have 60k worth of stuff, including clothing in this house! I never made a lot of money before I retired, so it's not like I shopped high dollar stores. I did go in to discuss all of this with my agent, and they offered to raise my deductible to $5K, to lower it about $100 a year. She told me if I didn't have to have the "wind coverage" on my policy due to mortgage, my total would be less than $400 a year (what it was 6 years ago). I could have gone the rest of my life without hearing that! I see why so many elderly drop their insurance now. I just want to know how in the world they get their values from on their computers. Are they going by rebuilding in CA or NY? How are all of these insurance companies getting away with this? I've called, many are not even writing policies in this area anymore. Can't someone put a freeze on homeowners insurance rates? I'm quite sure after writing this, I'll get canceled next year.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2013

I was a customer of Alfa Insurance for 17 years. I filed one car claim 15 years ago for under $2,000 and have never filed a homeowner’s claim. I rented my home out for eight years and had two different tenants leave substantial damage. I paid for everything out of my pocket. The last tenants claimed that they were getting sick because of mold. The house was tested, and one type of mold was elevated. I did need to fix the moisture problem and got rid of the mold that was in the house. The tenants were going to sue me for medical bills, so I filed a claim.

They sent an adjuster out and did their own tests. They determined that the levels were not high enough to make anyone sick, but they said the house needed repairs. It was unoccupied so it did not meet their standards, and that’s why they were terminating my policy. They sent the termination to my ex-wife, an address that I have never lived in, not to mention the fact that the local insurance representative never called me to discuss fixing the things that needed to be fixed so they could insure the house again. When I called him after my ex-wife called me with the letter, he just read to me what my ex-wife had already told me. I got the feeling they did not want my business.

Well, the house is fixed and mold free; and I am moving back into it. But I can assure you that I will never let Alfa Insurance insure anything of mine again. I called the corporate office, and they did not seem to care. The regional manager was supposed to call me but never did. That is the kind of customer service you can expect from Alfa. You have been warned.

Alfa Homeowners Insurance Company Information