2.46/5
Based on 13 reviews that contain star ratings

13 Aflac Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Beware of Aflac! When Aflac puts you on hold for over an hour so that you can contact a customer service representative, it is unethical to see how they handle issues. When you are sick and trying to get some help when you have paid and paid, they have the nerve to put you on hold continuously for up to over a whole hour and get nowhere. But, if you call to open up a new policy, they will answer within twenty seconds of your call! This should tell you something about this company. There are other companies that will do better. Aflac doesn’t even serve you or help in any way at all, they just want your money and that is all. I am sure that the CEO’s are getting the big money, and that money comes from what we pay them every single week. They always have an excuse with the claims, like they didn’t receive the paperwork, or it wasn’t dated. There is a huge lack of continuity in service.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I signed up for Aflac at the end of 2017. I had a specific reason for purchasing the insurance. I have been dealing with some issues for about 15 years. I have no idea what those issues are. Just that I have them. After signing up for the insurance, I was told it would become effective on 2/1/2018 and that any diagnosis I received before this date would not qualify me for a claim.

I went to the doctor on 10/26/2017 and told the doctor I think I have a problem. No tests, medicines, or consultation was given. He simply said to make an appointment to be diagnosed. Of course I waited until 3/6/2018 to be diagnosed. To my surprise my issues were so bad I had to have surgery for a full hysterectomy on 3/28/2018. When I filed my claim I was denied because apparently to Aflac if you say, "I have a problem" to your doctor before the insurance is effective that means it is a pre-existing condition even though I have never been tested, consulted or given medicine before my insurance effective. They are nothing like the commercial says.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I am currently waiting for Aflac, to pay my husband’s life insurance policy here in the state of California. My husband passed away of a heart attack in May of 2017. He had, during open enrollment, just started a new life insurance policy through Aflac at the beginning of last year (2017). My first issue was the fact that Aflac chose not to contact me within the first 30 days to let me know that they would be disputing/investigating his claim. I had been in contact with a local Aflac representative, but he did not know they were contesting the claim. Their claims department waited until I sent them a request almost 3 months after his death to let me know the investigative status of the claim. At this point they informed me via a telephone conversation that they could simply choose to “not pay the claim at all and just close the claim”. After this conversation, I received two letters in the same envelope, each dated with a different previous month.

I was told at that point that I had been given proper notification of their intent to investigate the claim. In other words, it seems to me that they covered their tracks. I’d be willing to bet that if anyone looked into it, they would try to say they had sent me those same two letters at the proper times and not late or in the same envelope. I have since signed numerous HIPPA release forms for the hospital, his regular doctor, Aflac, and my lawyer. My husband’s regular doctor has given Aflac his past medical records, which do not indicate any pre-existing condition. He has also stated, both to Aflac representatives and to my lawyer’s representative, that he is willing to sign an affidavit stating there was no pre-existing medical condition. Meaning, they should pay the claim. This was roughly more than a month ago.

This morning, I had been to the hospital yet again to request my husband’s COMPLETE medical records from his last time there (the week he died). This is in response to Aflac’s latest request for information regarding what doctor prescribed my husband a long list of medications (many of them allergy-related medications). The letter that Aflac sent to me stated they “were made aware of” this list of medications my husband had been prescribed. Their assertation was that someone from the hospital had given them this information, however the letter says they need the names and addresses of the prescribing doctor(s). Apparently, the medications had not been notated in his regular doctor’s medical records that Aflac has already received.

My question is: Why do they need the names and addresses if they already got the list of medications from the hospital already? Wouldn’t the same source have that information as well? This seems like another stalling tactic on Aflac's part. My issue now is that the medications list they're asking about are not meds he would have ever received during his stay in the hospital, so the question is: how did Aflac get a list of medications that weren't part of the medical release form I signed for his stay in the ICU this last year? How does Aflac get medical information obviously from years ago without a medical release form for that time frame? And finally, when are they going to pay my husband's claim? Ever? If you're looking into purchasing life insurance, I'd go with another company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I have been a customer on Aflac since 2002, holding 3 policies, Cancer, Hospitalization and ST Disability. I never had to use these policies until last April when I became very ill and unable to support myself and my daughter. I should mention, that, on numerous occasions, although I have not missed a payment have received letters telling me that I was 3 months past due! When I would call to question these letters, I could never get a straight answer, just as now. I have been collecting disability (ST with much difficulty), for the last 9 months, and I have now received a letter stating my policies are all canceled due to lack of payment for too long. Again, I sent bank documents in (Twice) proving my payments, yet 5 Aflac agents refuse to acknowledge their existence? I have a surgery claim to send in, that I am certain, will be more waste of time/money on my part. Can anyone help me with this scamming company? Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

My husband was injured at work and we thought... we had the Aflac disability insurance for out of work and work accidents, but as it turns out after 3 months of doing the paperwork dance we do not have the work injury insurance. We have had Aflac for years because my husband's job can be physically demanding and we are so disappointed with the company trying to get out of helping us through this injury. The Aflac representative told my husband today "I don't know what you want me to do about it." Thanks from a hardworking family. Not a fan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac Life Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

This is the definition of Insurance... "A practice or arrangement by which a company or government agency provides a guarantee of compensation for specified loss, damage, illness, or death in return for payment of a premium." This is not Aflac. I have been faithfully paying Aflac for the past 9 years and unfortunately, became ill this year, believe me, just like everyone else, this is not what I wanted. I went to 2 additional doctors under the advisement of the my pcp and All 3 of them, told me that I needed to stay home. First, I was diagnosed with a high blood platelet count, (cancer) Thank God I don’t I have that, but now, I have a heart condition that I'm currently in stage 3 in, and if it goes to stage 4 I will be in need of heart surgery.

I have had to call Aflac's customer service department at least 8 times, and I have to say their customer service reps have been very kind and efficient, but as far as their system in retrieving paperwork and not giving my Dr. specific instructions as to what he would need from the beginning in order to actually process paperwork for payment. No bueno. They asked my Dr for notes from the initial visit, which was chest pains. They did not ask what was the outcome or followup testing that was done which would've given my final diagnosis. Also, the office faxed the notes 3 times to someone named Shirley, and customer service wasn't able to see it because they don't have contact with the auditors.

I found myself being a liaison between my Dr.'s office and their customer service dept just to get the paperwork to them, even though, I filled out an authorization form that allowed Aflac to call and speak to my Dr. directly. I finally had to insist that they call and actually speak to them since I did what was required. I just got off the phone with them and my Aflac agent and I will have the Dr's office send it directly to her as well as Aflac. In the meantime, bills are piling up and this has put me and my family in a horrible position, and I am trying to stay in a place of calm because I certainly don't need any more stress at this point. Now I know and you do as well, Beware. I will definitely keep posting.

Updated on 12/07/2017: Just wanted to correct an error in last message. The Aflac company I wrote a review on is in Columbus, GA, not Alaska. Also, I spoke with my agent last night and she is supposed to get back to me today.

Resolution response: Jan. 27, 2017

Well amazingly I have received the checks in the mail and I'm astound that Aflac stood behind their word and even though it took so long to research it paid off.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I started a claim on 9/21/2016 for my father's life policy. Initially I was told policy was terminated for non pay. Being my father was disabled and I worked in insurance I was aware of waiver of premium benefit and since my father was disabled 2 years prior to when he died I questioned his rep first via email. He sent back same day miraculously however saying canceled for non pay and all he could say since he would require POA to discuss any further. Mind my father died so POA is void. Then he dropped his name off policies all 3. So called customer service, again and again and again! Get this form, get this info, sign this form, submit this! All physicians statements, employer statements, questionnaires, even social security benefit award letter poring he was drawing disability.

I was so frustrated just before Christmas I faxed and uploaded his entire medical history pages and blew out their online system! But I was tired of being kicked around and told crap that was unheard of ever in my life! It's 1/23/2016 and after filing claim with Georgia dept of insurance 2 weeks ago they now say he didn't qualify for waiver of premium. However, we didn't do our service correct as your father paid his premium for 2 months by CALLING US and we posted payment but failed to reactivate his life ins policy! So therefore they are gonna pay the death benefit less the almost 1-1/2 year of premiums and I'd have a check within 5-7 days. Claims will have to reactivate his policy and then they will process death claim. Well it's day 7 and when I email for update on the only 1 person the company has that is smart he tells me the claim file is open and should be processed within 24-48 hours but no check number as of yet!

After patiently waiting on this company to decide if they could research for a waiver of premium benefit to be active almost 4 months I'm guessing I'll have to wait a year till they decide to process and pay a claim on a life policy. Key thing with Aflac is to get a person that's a lead person rather than standard csr. Don't back down or give up on your claim process. Hate to say it but call, daily and after about a week threaten them with your state department of insurance by submitting a claim to them if needed. Once I actually filed a claim they got busy on my claim and I got more info on last 2 weeks than in all 4 months I've submitted the original claim.

I was very dissatisfied at them stating my father didn't qualify for wop. However I was amazed they told me they made mistakes 2 months in a row of posting my fathers payment but not making his policy active. His other 2 policies were drafted every 3 months out of his account and he asked them twice to add his life policy to the quarterly payment. And yet they didn't so policy terminated and never sent anything acknowledging it has done so! So if Aflac does do right like they have said over the phone to me recently I'll be updating this review with the outcome.

In light of all the BS I've been through with each CSR at the company if you're lucky and get an Andrew or Joel you'll be taken care of. However, if Rashene answers your call well get ready you'll have to prove everything in explanation as she tried to tell me that a government's letterhead stated Retirement and Pension was what my father was getting not disability from social security! I couldn't stand for why she claimed so I had to be rude and say lady, our federal government came up with their letterhead and how the title reads not me.

Social Security, Retirement, Pension and Disability Insurance is the header on all documents provided from Social Security when you request a benefit award letter! So without even reading the body in paragraph she proceeded to tell me I was wrong he was getting money every month from his pensions since he retired! I wanted to go to Georgia and grab that woman and take her outside! Ignorant! So we will see what good all of this effort has done maybe within few days but I've learned to not hold my breath on Aflac! That's for sure!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

I am very very unhappy with Aflac. I am under my mom's insurance with this crappy company. We got into an accident on July 9th 2016 so we contacted Aflac a little bit later, told us we will get some money for the accident. So on Monday September 24, 2016 they told us if we do a smart claim it will be in our account in 24 hours. Well it's already Oct 1st 2016, I am very displeased because we have been getting nothing but a run around and they have been screwing up my claim and the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing!!! Now it shows in the system the account is paid but still nothing in my mom's account. It's **. I need the Monday for tomorrow for California and that are very ** unorganized... very very unhappy.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

I've had my life insurance policy for about 5 years through Aflac. Luckily I've not had to use it! The representatives that I've dealt with in setting up my policy were very knowledgeable and were able to help pick the best policy for my needs. I like the idea that I can borrow money from my policy if needed and if I am diagnosed with a terminal illness I can pull from my policy without penalty. When submitting paperwork, they were very prompt in return communication.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

Set rate forever. I've only had this insurance for a month so I haven't had much time for recommending. Low rates that never change as long as you keep the policy open.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

Worked for the company and know all the ins and outs of the company. No longer work there but would still buy their products. The agents are knowledgeable and they are easy to get in contact with. On other products we have they pay claims fast.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

Our daughter passed away on 6/11/2015. After receiving the autopsy report, we filed her claim to Aflac. We were treated so nicely at first, then Aflac wanted medical records which had nothing to do with her passing. We provided all requested. I called after 1 month to get an update, I was told, because my daughter passed within the 2 year contestable period, Aflac is investigating the death. Another month past and I keep on calling for an update on the case, they tell me it's in upper management, then they said it was with their legal department and no one could ever tell me an update. So far I had called 6-7 times and it's the same story Aflac is prolonging the claim and as of today 12/9/2015 had not heard nor got any answers from them... Please don't buy any Aflac Policy. You will suffer like me in grieve over my daughter death and having to fight a giant like Aflac.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

It was a very easy and smooth transaction. The agent was very knowledgeable about the product and when/how it could be used and paid for. The forms were all electronic and did not require an advanced degree in business/legalese to understand.

Aflac Life Insurance expert review by Neal Frankle

Founded in 1955, Aflac offers whole and term life insurance policies to individuals through their employers, with payment done by payroll deduction only. Aflac offers a variety of insurance policies that include life, auto and even cancer insurance.

• No medical questions: The company has several policies that are guaranteed issue, with no medical questions to be answered, depending on your age and coverage choice.

• Coverage is portable: Aflac allows you to take your life insurance policy with you when you change jobs or retire instead of having to find a new provider.

• Policy choices: Aflac offers policies featuring up to $500,000 of protection, depending on the age of the insured.

• Insurance calculator: Aflac provides an online questionnaire that helps determine how much life insurance you need based on certain factors.

• Agent locator: The Aflac website features an easy zip code search tool to help you find a local agent close to your home or business.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Aflac Life Insurance Company Information