AARP Motoring

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Thanksgiving morning, 11/24/16 we went out to our car in the driveway and found that the battery was dead. No problem, right? We have AARP Roadside Assistance. I called and got someone who I had trouble understanding, (maybe from India?) and he told me we had no coverage. We have been with the company since 2009 and always paid. He told me to call Customer Service, which I did. Guess what their voicemail message said - "We are sorry but we are not open as it is a holiday. Please call back on Monday." Now, we live in a senior mobile home park and had no neighbors that could physically push our car out to even jump start it. So - - we could not have our Thanksgiving dinner and were trapped in our house for the day. When I called Road Assistance on Friday I was told I did have coverage, there was no lapse of any kind (he also spoke like someone from India and said his name was Kavi).

He then transferred me to "Roger" who set up the service call with a very nice tow company who arrived within 25 minutes, manually pushed the car out of the driveway and jump started it. My husband told him he was driving it to Pep Boys and the driver volunteered to follow him to the next freeway off-ramp to make sure it was still running. The name of the towing company is Quality Towing and I highly recommend them. I DO NOT recommend AARP Roadside Assistance if they continue to hire people who can't speak good English and give false information. I did receive an e-mail from the manager, Phyllis **, apologizing for the recent "frustration and inconvenience" we experienced. Did she suggest they send us a check for the Thanksgiving dinner we missed? No. They will immediately identify and address the circumstances that resulted in this level of service. Nice idea.

The AARP Roadside Assistance Plan working through Allstate is a very poor choice of service provider. Our most recent bad experience with them was calling for a tow, fortunately from our home, to a repair shop. The first estimate was 85 minutes. The auto-dialer called back at 90 minutes to see if the service had been completed. The next estimate was for 20 more minutes... Still no truck. Long-story-short, it took over 3.5 hours to get a tow.

This is not the first time we've have excessively long waits for service, it's just the longest so far. Fortunately, it was daytime, we were safe at home and could wait it out. If this had been at night on a rainy highway somewhere, it would have been much worse. Added to the long waits for service is the foreign call center being used. The operators are clearly all English as a second language people who are reading from their script cards. They have very little knowledge about the services or problems people are calling about. Cancelling our membership and returning to AAA. If anyone at AARP who considers what service plans to offer AARP Members is listening, please find a new provider or better yet, join up with AAA.

I experienced a great deal of added frustration when I placed a call for service for a dead battery. The service dispatcher was unable to understand my English and I had to repeatedly and repeatedly spell words that were very basic, such as College. This added to the delay in service and when roadside arrived, he was directed to the wrong address. I will change service companies.

Called for a tow (fortunately from my house on a nice day and not on the road in bad weather), and an automated voice put me through to the towing company, which then called back to say that Allstate says they have no record of me calling. Called to a live person (from India) and had to painstakingly and slowly give him all of my information. He conveyed it to the towing company, but it now said that Allstate said I was only covered for $100 rather than 100 miles. So called again, repeated this slow process, and another Indian agreed that it was for 100 miles. Called to confirm with towing, and they said they were getting two messages, but at last it was all confirmed. However, now the truck can't come for another two hours. This would have been intolerable if we were waiting on the highway waiting for three hours.

I called them for emergency Roadside Assistance and I was told 85 min. I said that was unacceptable. They called again and said 105 min, it wound up to be 6 hours. Then I complained to customer service and they said would refund some of my money. A measly 15 dollars. I never received or heard from them again. AAA IS BETTER.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Since no one has given this outfit more than 1 star, and that one probably only because it's required, this is a redundant rant and I could probably find a better use for my energy and time. It took a day and a half to get help with a flat tire on 8/27/16. The dispatcher at the AARP service took my phone # incorrectly and didn't fix it even after I corrected her. I corrected the number again on the second call that I made after I had been waiting twice the estimated time (that was only on the first day!). A day and a half later, when the tow truck finally arrived, he still had been given the original wrong phone number! Since my car was parked at my house right where the driver could see it exactly where he expected to find it, this guy had the intelligence to ring my doorbell when the wrong phone # didn't get me!

I have paid for this service for over 2 years, used it once successfully though had to wait a considerable amount of time. I am now trying to get assistance with a battery charge and it is over 2 hours and they have not found a provider to come to help. This service is awful and I will attempt to get a refund on this year's membership since the service is not provided.

AARP roadside assistance sucks. My car was damage in a tow, July 2, and I'm not getting nowhere. Made 5 complaints, nooooo one has called me back from July 2, and now it's August 2. Stay away from AARP roadside assistance.

I have paid into AARP for 16 years and "donated" when I thought it was a bill. They are a huge corporation with lots of MONEY and resources and I thought their roadside service would be like triple A BUT NO IT IS NOT! It starts out with the annoying blah blah blah you have no way of shutting up and it's a "give us some more money crap" you sure don't want to hear if you are me almost 70 with so many health issues and a brain tumor and have a DEAD BATTERY! I called with my loaned flip-flop phone with almost no bars and me with a dead battery. When he answers it's like he is on the other side of the world, LANGUAGE issues and the phone blanking out because it isn't a land line and I'm getting really pissed. It is a scary place to be when you're old and sick and parked legally in the disabled parking at the goodwill in Shoreline, WA.

I never really understood what he was saying because of his lack of English! It was about 6 PM when I first called and when I asked after being put on hold and then not and when again "When will they be here?" he said about 10 pm. I said "WHAT THE **". Yes I swore and then he hung up on me and cancelled my service. It isn't AARP anymore. They use ALLSTATE and they farm it out to people all over the USA and outside the USA. This same scenario happened to me 4 more times with the "NO ENGLISH SKILLS" and I had to listen to the annoying sell for AARP crap to get to the people that don't speak or understand and I have a brain tumor. This is for old people. It's the biggest ripoff ever and I will notify the attorney general of the state of Washington and the insurance commissioner!!!

I'm still so darn angry. The 6th person that was in New York could speak English but by this time, 2 hours later I was so mad and I said, "Don't hang up, please or you won't have a job". She laughed and said, "Oh, you don't get it! I will have a job, hahaha". So they farm it out to Allstate who farms it out to anyone with a cellphone. I'm SURE anyone who reads this will decide I'm not reasonable but I really am. It was a terrible situation and they are a JOKE!!! The really nice guy that came to my rescue said he couldn't understand why they kept cancelling. He could see I had been trying to get help for hrs but then they AARP cancelled me!

I don't care about being nice when what you get when you need help the most is a nauseating lady fake voice trying to sell you AARP PRODUCTS you must listen too. I was going to go to their office in Seattle but decided to instead file a complaint against them with the attorney general whichever is most appropriate. Again I don't care what kind of language I used after the first call that was it for me. I am not kissing their butt that service is misleading, insulting and we are all old with problems that was the original program not this attitude of arrogance from idiots with cell phones. I am not a fake review, this just happened to me. I'm not a robot that has no emotions. NO WORRIES, IDIOTS ARE EVERYWHERE! I'm responding to their guidelines of how to write an effective review. They are cheating people out of their money!!! Personal opinion.

They refused to send me the 100.00 dollars for a tow I had because it wasn't pre-authorized. This is the worst insurance I have ever seen. There is no phone coverage for every section of the USA. So how can you call for authorization if there is no phone. STAY AWAY FROM THIS INSURANCE.

Called roadside assistance, hard time understanding operator. He put me on hold 4 times, could not make him understand where I was located. I was 1 mile east of the Wabash River on highway 64 in Indiana heading east, simple enough and he must have asked me 5 times what is the ZIP code there was so he could look me up on the map. I GOT SO FRUSTRATED, AFTER 20 MINUTES OF THIS KNOTHEAD, I FINALLY FLAGGED SOMEONE DOWN TO HELP. When I get home it's back to AAA.

I have been a member of AARP roadside service-premier plan since 2008. I pay 114.00/year for the family plan. Since we have four cars in the family, we previously used the towing service at least three times. All of those tows were local tows and, despite AARP never being able to find us an authorized provider, they were reimbursed in full. The plan I have claims to pay all towing costs up to 100 miles at no additional charge. (From the manual, "Towing will be limited to 100 miles from the point of disablement at no additional charge. Any expenses incurred beyond the 100 mile limit will be your responsibility"). I called for help on 03/08/16 and needed to have my car towed approximately 45 miles to a car dealership. (The car had a cracked block and was under factory warranty. Honda paid ALL expenses for the repair.)

On the phone, the assistant said he could not find any tow services in my area to help. They NEVER can. I always end up calling for a tow. Therefore, he said he would leave it up to me to contact a tow truck and have my car towed. Then I would need to submit the receipt and claim under the claim # ** for reimbursement. I called Stanley Wrecker Service. He charged 335.00 to tow my car 45 miles to the dealer for dealer-only warranty service. On 04/04/16 I received a reimbursement check from AARP roadside for 130.00. This is 205.00 less than the actual tow amount.

I looked in the AARP roadside assistance manual and website for clarification. In the manual, under a heading entitled 'Special Equipment' is the paragraph, "Roadside Assistance coverage includes one normally equipped service vehicle, one driver, and one service call per disablement, up to a maximum cost of $130. Any costs for additional personnel or special equipment are not covered, are at the members expense, and are not reimbursable."

Further down in the manual under the heading, "Roadside Assistance Includes Towing", is "The service provider will tow your car if it cannot be started or driven without causing damage. Towing will be limited to 100 miles from the point of disablement at no additional charge. Any expenses incurred beyond the 100 mile limit will be your responsibility, payable directly to the service provider at the time of service, and are not reimbursable. Service is limited to one tow or service call per disablement." The website repeatedly makes statements that the Premier plan covers 'Towing up to 100 miles at no charge'.

Further down in the manual, under Dispatch Guarantee, is the statement "If we are unable to provide roadside assistance when you call, we will reimburse you up to $260 for covered services you locate yourself. Reimbursement for Lost/Stolen Key Replacement is limited to $25. Reimbursement for lockout service and accident towing is limited to $130." My tow was NOT an accident tow. My complaint is that AARP Roadside Services uses deceptive practices by repeatedly making statements that they will tow a car 100 miles at no charge, but then they only pay a maximum of 130.00 for each tow.

I specifically asked AARP Roadside to send me names of any Towing service that would accept 130.00 as payment for a 100 mile tow, but I never got a response. I doubt seriously that ANY towing service would do that, so why do they advertise it? And, why wouldn't they pay for my 45 mile tow if service providers in this part of the country charge that amount? I want to be fully reimbursed for my tow and I want these deceptive practices examined.

This is the first negative review I have ever posted about any business. On 3-4-16 I was stranded in the middle of the night with a dead battery, in a closed up business district, a mile’s walk from any kind of help. I called for roadside assistance. A half hour later the operator called me back and said “No one is available. I suggest you call the police.” I got on the phone myself and found a tow truck. I did the work that this service was supposed to provide. Afterward I attempted to cancel my AARP motor club membership and asked for a refund. I immediately signed up instead with AAA, because I do need a service like this, and I further need it to actually work. My request to cancel and receive a refund also has been ignored. As a senior woman, I expected better from an AARP affiliate. In posting this review I see this is business as usual for this company. AARP, you need to do better for your members.

I marked my calendar as to when my emergency road service expired. No renewal paperwork or phone call was ever received, so I called them. Renewal paperwork was to arrive in 7-10 days - nothing ever arrived. I called again - there was no info in their system of my previous call. Beware people - this is the caliber of service you will get with this company.

Called for a tow truck. They said they would call me back in 10 min. I waited 30 min. then called them back. They said it was not logged that I had called, then said it would be a 2-hour wait for a tow truck. Long story short I never did get a tow truck. I called one and paid out of pocket. Tow truck was there in 15 min. This service is no good. Save your money or go with AAA.

My son broke down on the highway with his newborn infant on a below 0 night, he called the number on his card and after many question and comments and being put on hold, he was told there was no one available to come at that time, try again in the morning. By the morning they would have been frozen solid! After this any other petty problems, I tried to cancel. The non English speaking operator refused to cancel offering excuses for all of my problems and talking loudly over me when I objected. I finally said I'll call back and speak to someone else and hung up. He then continuously calls my number back like a deranged animal. I'm so upset because this is while I'm driving I have to pull over and block the number from my phone.

This is nonsense that I have an allstate-approved-towing 1 mile down the road and one has to come from 45 min away and it turns out this driver has a number of cars to tend to before he sees me. It's been over 1 1/2 hours and he's just now starting to my house. I called the towing 1 mile away to see if he had an answer to why he wasn't dispatched since he's close and he said that's how they do it... They have a list of 'preferred' towing and they start at the top of their list.

So why did they need my info 100x to get someone close to my house... Turns out they really didn't because they weren't sending someone close. Do these towers pay to be at the top of the list? They must because this makes no sense for anyone involved. It's ridiculous. Allstate rates #1 as a roadside provider but aarp (allstate) roadside is low on the list of good providers... What gives? Is it aarp at fault for such shoddy service or is allstate just giving older people less than average service when they are with aarp? Don't know which it is but I'm cancelling today.

Run away from this service with extreme prejudice. They advertise peace of mind with 24 hour roadside assistance, but all they are is predators preying on senior citizens with their false claims of help and security. They are completely ill equipped to handle any kind of road side emergency that you may have.

On Saturday, 4.19.15, at 11 PM while traveling on the turnpike in South Miami (very, very bad neighborhood) my wife and I had a blowout. We had a spare but I couldn't budge the lugnuts and called AARP roadside. 10 minute wait on phone then we got an operator who put us in touch with a tow guy, who spoke such poor English I couldn't understand him other than we were 6 blocks out of his zone and he didn't have the equipment to change a tire, then he hung up on us.

Another ten minutes, and we were transferred to India, frigging India, where they going to send an elephant or what. After another 5 minutes of the poorest English imaginable which I could understand less than the first rude person, we were transferred back to an operator who finally determined that they didn't have anyone would could help us because it was too late and everyone was closed. They obviously didn't get the memo about 24 hour assistance.

I have an old car and have been under my mom's account since 2009. I have had my car towed twice this year and twice last year. The last time I had my car towed was 5 days ago. Last night my car broke down and I was stuck on the side of the road. I called AARP roadside assistance like I always do and as usual, was sent to someone who spoke like a robot and was so unhelpful. All he told me was my name wasn't on the account, over and over. I screamed at him that I was broke down on the side of the road in the dark and I need a tow truck. All he did was repeatedly tell me my name was not on the account.

I asked for a manager. A replica of the first guy come on and does the same exact thing. After 30 minutes of begging for a tow truck I finally hung up and found other means of getting my car and myself somewhere safe. I will NEVER use or suggest anyone use AARP roadside assistance! I could be murdered in a bad neighborhood while I'm on the phone with a robot representative who doesn't care at ALL about my well being.

Also, the other times I was successful in having my car towed each time took more than 20 minutes on the phone with representatives who clearly did not speak English well and giving the directions/addresses was stressful and difficult. You can add tow truck service to your car insurance for cheaper and much less hassle than this joke of a service!

This service is included in my auto policy. I WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER USE AGAIN!! You better listen!! I'm warning you!! The customer service, not the actual people who come out to assist, the people on the phone!!!

Got off a 4 hour flight at SFO and found my car battery was dead and needed a jump (was at the San Bruno BART station). Still needed to drive 3.5 hours to get home. Call AARP Roadside Assistance at 2:45. Was told it would be about a 1 hour wait but the tow driver would call 15 minutes before he got there. No driver, so I called back at 3:45. At that time, I was told that the driver was stuck in traffic on 101 and would be there in 50 minutes. So I walked to Starbucks so I would be fully caffeinated for the drive home. Called at 4:50 because no one had showed up. Found out the dispatch agent was in New York state (?). They put me through to the local tow company who said the driver was on another call nearby and would be there in 30 minutes. After we hung up, I called AARP back to find out my options should the local company not show up and was told I could find my own tow company and get reimbursed.

When I called at 5:30 because still no driver, I was told that I had cancelled the service??? I insisted that I had not. They insisted that my inquiry into other options was a call to cancel the service. I then called a local service who was extremely helpful. While their driver was not able to make it there for another 1:15. Due to high call volume, the local tow company kept calling me back to keep me updated and apologize. Finally, got on my way at 7:00, over 4 hours after I first called AARP. The kicker is that I received a call at 8:15 from the AARP tow service asking if I still needed assistance. It's just insane that the AARP roadside assistance only has ONE service operator in the San Francisco area. It makes no sense. I'm giving a 3 for coverage. Only because they said they would reimburse me for the independent service I obtained.

I called AARP road service for a flat tire. They never called back and never showed up. I called twice. I finally gave up and called a road tow service... for over $70 I had to pay out of pocket. Now AARP will not reimburse me. They are a foul company. I'm going to file complaints now with the BBB and attorney general's office. What a bunch of losers at this company. I am a disabled senior and not servicing me could mean life or death if it's very hot or very cold, not to mention stuck on a road in the dark with loonies out there.

45 minutes on the phone and no one available to give service. First call, disconnected. 2nd call, the guy said he couldn't hear me. 3rd call, took 45 minutes only for them to tell me there is no one the area to help. This is the 2nd time I've used the service and neither time did I get help. Absolutely the worst. Do not waste your money!!!

I am writing this because I paid for all of my kids to be under my plan. Last night my daughter's car died. Turns out she needed a tow. We have the premium plan. She called the Roadside Assistance number and said she needed a tow. The man on the phone (which she also had a very, very difficult time understanding) said he would send her a text to let her know what time the tow truck would arrive. 25 minutes later, after not receiving the text, she called them. They said they were having a hard time finding a towing company. They said she should find her own tow company. She indicated she would appreciate them helping her to find a towing company as well.

We were able to find a company on our own, had to pay out of our pocket for the tow. Now the fun begins to be reimbursed. These people have absolutely no business being in the business. She never received a follow up call to see if she was okay, got a tow, absolutely nothing. I am going to demand a full reimbursement and go back to AAA. I changed because AARP was half price. It's true what they say, you get what you pay for. A very dissatisfied former customer.

We were on a camping trip and needed our Motorhome towed. We finally got someone who told us we needed to upgrade, which we were willing to do. After much time we were told to call back and upgrade another day. Then they couldn't find a aarp tow truck so we had to call our own. We were told we would be reimbursed. Today I called and upgraded and was told we may or may not be reimbursed, depending on the claims department. We also had a very hard time that night understanding our operator, and well as today with the supervisor I demanded to talk to. Can't AARP hire Americans?

Dead car - restaurant parking lot, highly-traveled, well known area in Austin, TX, i.e. not hard to find. I called AARP roadside assistance, and spent over 1/2 hour with a customer service rep who barely spoke, or understood, English, trying to explain who I was, and where I was. It took 5 minutes for him to even get my first name, which is not a difficult one. I waited over TWO HOURS, in 100-degree temperatures, when they said they would be there in 20 to 30 minutes. I called the service provider AARP had dispatched, several times, and was repeatedly told "10 more minutes".

During my long wait, I received a 'robotic' call back from the AARP Roadside program, asking if I had received service.. if no.. press 2 - so I press 2, and get yet another service representative that barely speaks, and does not understand, English, and AGAIN have to go through spelling my name, over and over; my address, etc. etc. even though they had called me. When I finally got through to them that I was STILL waiting for service, all they did was tell me to call back, if no one had arrived in... wait for it... "10 more minutes".

And to top it off - they charged me over 70 dollars on my card for a tow that I did not need. Turned out I only needed a jump start. Of course I did not know that when I originally called, being ignorant about cars (which is my error, not theirs). However, I again had to go through dealing with terrible customer service this morning when I called to try to get reimbursed for the towing charge. Needless to say, I am cancelling this service and I recommend that anyone considering AARP Roadside assistance, look elsewhere.

I had a horrible time understanding the dispatcher!!! Horrible and Frustrating. Foreign accent. Very thick. Also, did not put the address down correctly. Very poor communication skills and no concept of abstract thinking other than what was on the script. The actual service was great!

On February on about 5th or 6th the weather was very bad. I called customer service because I had a flat tire. They tried to get a tow company and the customer representative said he could not get anybody. He told me if I get the tire fixed they would reimburse me. Well the bill for my tire was $92.32. I sent in the bill - they sent me a letter saying they could not reimburse me. They told me unauthorized service. After the representative told me I would be reimburse It says in the membership material under Dispatch Guarantee "if unable to provide roadside assistance we will reimburse you up to $260.00." Well this charge was only $92.32. Well I'm not a member with them and never will be.

Was broke down 21 miles from home. Thank god our mom had AARP to get us towed. Yeah right people were foreign-- call us back in 10-15 min. Called them back half an hr later will an hr -- will call back in 15 min. Never called back. Called them in half an hr ---will take an hr still never called us back!!! Anyway waited 3.5 hrs in hot sun with 79 yr old with heart condition. Tow driver said they keep looking for lower prices and they don't pay any extra after 5.30 so not many companies will use them after 5:30 pm! They don't care and are hard to understand. Save the time and misery and get AAA!

I spent 4 hours the other night waiting for Godot (that would be AARP). I later found out 2 hours were waiting for nothing. The poor English speaker (understood about 30%) had just discarded my call. A third call found a supervisor who decided that something had to be done about it. They could not find me on their map (no cross street or address). The first person just said since they could not locate my car I was out of luck. The second did not do any work to find me. The third referred it to his supervisor, and the fourth decided I was 40 miles from where I really was. I told each one of them what city to call for service and then I could tell them where I was. But that was not good enough, they had to know before they called where I was.

The real kicker was about 10 minutes after I finally was back on my way. I got a robo call asking for my grade of their service (one good thing about them). I replied poorly for all of them, so they referred me to customer service. The gentleman on the line wanted my member number, he could not locate me from my name or the fact they called me not I them. So he wanted me to stop the car (after 4 hours of being stopped) so I could tell him how bad they were. He really wanted to inconvenience me to find how what they did badly. I hung up on him! I will be not renewing. Paragon looks good to me right now.

AARP Motoring Company Profile