1.24/5
Based on 93 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AARP Roadside Assistance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

101 AARP Roadside Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 13, 2018

On Feb. 23rd of 2018 my partner and I broke down going up a hill on a snowy back road between 2 and 3 miles from our NW Montana home. I immediately called the AARP Roadside Assistance program, my first ever call after signing up in October of 2017. I had signed up for the service for the sole reason that I didn't want my partner, a cancer patient in active treatment to have to deal with this kind of situation. It was late afternoon on a Friday, and in Mt. that means near dark. The temperature was below freezing. The operator was quite helpful but after an hour was unable to find anyone local to come tow us home. She suggested we leave the vehicle because she thought she could get it towed in the morning. This was not feasible, not only too long and cold a walk for my partner, but also a danger to leave the vehicle on a narrow, slick road after dark as well.

I told the representative that I could not leave the vehicle unattended and that I would walk for help and take care of it myself. She was very apologetic and gave me a claim number and instructions to write up the details and submit a claim for $120 since she could not get help for us. She said she would include all the details in her report as well. I walked home in the dark. I brought jumper cables and a tow rope back in our small car. My partner and I had to roll the stranded vehicle down the hill backwards and use the car and tow rope at the bottom to pull the pickup backwards and forwards until it was turned around, in order to hook it up and tow it home. It could not be jumped and the small car could not tow it up the hill. It took well over an hour and was pretty arduous.

I did as the rep had told me and submitted a claim in the next couple of days to AARP Roadside Assistance. I never heard back. On April 16th I called and asked about the claim. After being passed around and put on hold I was informed the claim was denied because there hadn't been a "proper invoice". I went over the whole situation with the phone rep and she assured me they would be in touch within 2 weeks. I never heard back.

I called again on May 1st and got the same spiel. I got a little cranky and ended up speaking with a supervisor of some sort who said I absolutely would be getting some kind of response in the mail within 2 weeks. I never got anything in the mail nor did I hear from them via the phone. I called AARP to report this complaint and they called Roadside Assistance on my behalf. Within a few days a rep called and said that they would be sending me $60 for my claim. I told that rep the whole story and my frustration at being ignored and then jerked around. I then received a check for $60 on 6/12/2018.

I am not trying to get more money from AARP Roadside Assistance. I am writing this review so that anyone who might be thinking of trying this program has the chance to know beforehand that it is a rip-off. I am surprised that AARP has continued their affiliation with it after all the other negative reviews I have since read.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Last week, my tire blew out while I was traveling on a busy interstate. I immediately called for roadside assistance for a tire change. I was told that a truck would be there in 45 minutes. An hour later, I am still waiting so I called back and was then told the driver was stuck in traffic and be there in 20 minutes. ONE HOUR LATER, I called AARP Roadside Assistance AGAIN, only to be told “the driver says it’s too dangerous for him to change a tire on the interstate”. Hello?!? Not too dangerous for a female senior citizen (AARP is for seniors, right?) to be stranded on the interstate??? Exactly what IS Roadside Assistance if NOT for Assistance on the road??? I’m searching for another company and WILL NOT renew my membership!!!

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

When our daughter's car went down a ditch, AARP Roadside was UNABLE to find someone in their network to tow her...and she was 20 minutes from a large city! We had to find someone who hugely overcharged us and am now waiting on AARP to reimburse us, and I doubt it will be for the full amount! This is the second time that we've been told they can't find anyone in their network to tow us... What is the use of having a roadside assistance plan if it can't be used? Despite the large difference in cost between AARP Roadside and AAA, I'm switching to AAA!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Well, I finally got a letter from AARP motoring plan (premier) confirming that they did NOT feel they owed me anything - even an apology. I had to pay $95 to have the car towed four miles to an exit, and a parking lot where AARP was allowed to tow me my free hundred miles. I paid $240 for 66 miles towing (over the hundred) and $95 for the first four miles. They would NOT admit that I had been deceived. Their "free towing" only works on SOME roads. Not toll roads, something like that.

Do not, I repeat, do not, get the AARP motoring plan! Go to AAA and get real service from a company that does not have a hundred negative reviews. Fair warning. And speaking of fair, Farewell, AARP motoring plan! I would NEVER sign up again, and would advise anyone to avoid it. Fooey. They did not care enough to want my membership to continue - and I'd been with them 11 years! Such is the loyalty of a corporation. Don't be on this ship when it goes down.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

My wife hit a big pothole on a dark highway along with about 15 others and blew out a tire at night in the cold rain. She called me so I called AARP Roadside Assistance. This was at 5:30 PM. At 7 PM still no one. Then I get a call from Florida (I'm in RI) from someone telling me the driver can't find the car, turns out he drove past the 5 cars near her and cruiser thinking I don't know what. I gave him specific directions again. At 7:30 still no one yet other wreckers came by for other people there.

At 7:30 I received a call from the service provider who was 6 miles away (very apologetic). Tells me the Auto Club cancelled the request. WTF. He says he's going to help anyway. So I directed him to my wife's car, now she's been waiting over 2 hours in the dark on a busy highway in the rain. The service person arrived in a car not a tow truck or wrecker. With a pothole large enough to blow out 15 tires there could have been frontend damage, fortunately not in our case. By 8 PM 2.5 hours later she was on her way. Stay far away from this one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Called AARP Roadside Assistance by Allstate for a dead battery at 8:00 AM. AARP indicated that someone would arrive in 90 minutes. After the 1.5 hour wait with no service, we were told it would be another 80 minutes because all of their service providers were helping others with a greater need than ours. At 11:30 AM we still had no help and called AARP to tell them we had a noon appointment and asked to reschedule for 3:00 PM. We were assured that would be no problem.

We called when we returned at 1:30 and asked about service. The rep indicated it would arrive at approximately 3:00 (as we had asked she reminded us). At 4:15 PM, the rep called to say it would be at least another 75 minutes. 30 minutes later, she called back and indicated she had found a service provider who could come in 30 minutes and she named the make and model automobile. Although we own a vehicle of that kind, she had the wrong automobile registered for service! A total nightmare! I will be cancelling our AARP membership tomorrow morning. Pitiful service!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I needed roadside assistance and waited for service to arrive for 3.5 hours. I sat on the side of the road in the middle of the summer, no utilities, no water, a diabetic which I had stated on first call. The service provider was two towns over from me, never made contact even after several calls to AARP. My last call to AARP was less than stellar but service finally came. Once home, I called and cancelled my service immediately and went back to Triple AAA. Horrendous experience.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

My 80 year old Mother in Law had a dead battery in Fort Lauderdale earlier this week. She waited 4 hours for someone in the hot Florida heat to even call her back. They told her they had no one to even come jump start the car which was in a supermarket parking lot at 10:45 am. A tow truck finally came after 5 hours and took her to her mechanic which was closed. They wouldn't take her the six blocks to her home so she had to walk. I am really shocked that AARP was a company like this. Their response to me was lame. I wonder how the CEO of AARP would have felt if this happened to her 80 year old Mother in Law? I bought her AAA and got it for us too.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

When I needed a tow last Saturday August 19 , the fellow I was talking to at AARP could not speak clearly or understand English. I told him I needed a tow truck because my pickup would not start. He said I needed to drive to a filling station where they would jump-start my vehicle. I told him that I didn't need a jump start. I needed a tow truck. He finally said he would send help. I asked when I could expect help, and he answered, "Between 6 and 9." I said that's a 3-hour window! Then he said, "6-0-9."

Anyway when the fellow called in a little bit from the roadside service company, he said that AARP told him that I needed a jump start and had not authorized a tow. It cost me $135 out of my pocket. I just got off the phone with AARP to find out about a reimbursement. They told me they have a $130 limit and they have no quick response to problems like this. I'm considering dropping AARP coverage and getting one of those smart phones that I can ask where a local roadside service is if I happen to be out of my local area. The cost of the phone and the service help would be much cheaper that the $100 a year I'm paying AARP.

Original review: June 10, 2017

Do not ever get this AARP ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE JUNK!!! THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER. Your loved ones deserve better. This all started when my 16 year old daughter broke down and needed a tow about 10:30 on a weeknight. I called for a tow after about an hour was told no one could come get her and she needed to wait till in the morning at 9 am to call back, but the kick was when the guy said she needed to stay with the car till that time. WTH. Of course I lost it and he hung up on me. Next morning still trying to get car towed, I call at about 9:30 am to get the tow. They told me that they would be there in 1 hour 10 min.

After hanging up with them the tow company called said they would be out in 45 min but they had a different name from who the AARP so I asked if they were sent by AARP and he said yes plus that it would be no charge for the tow. So 1 hour goes by again I get a call from AARP checking to see if service had been done. I said no. I said the towing company called, said they had some problems but would be there in 45 min. I told her what towing company called. She confirmed it then put me on hold to call them. In the middle of talking to her the towing company called me to say that the driver was still about 30 min out. Click back over to AARP REP for her to say, “Yea. Driver is 25 mins out.” Now it's 11 something. AARP calls again but this time they’re saying another company is coming so now I'm mad as hell at this point.

After arguing with them for 30 min they finally called the tow company. Put them on the line so they could tell me and them that it was the same two companies. How you as a roadside assistance don't know who you send out. Not only that I paid the over mileage fee that night on the phone and then that morning they made me pay again. If I had not gotten a deposit that night I could have not paid for it that morning because they took what I had that night. This happen Wednesday and as of Friday I still have not been given my credit back for that and was told it could take 10 days.

It's so much more to this but bottom line. I'm going back to AAA. AARP SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THIS PRODUCT AND CUT TIES WITH IT. This is the worst service I have ever had. Tow got there at 1 pm after 9:30 am calling and by the way this was my second encounter with them and the first was bad too. Never again. Plus my card says AARP ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE by Allstate but State Farm is what was calling and taking out my account.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I have been faithful for 15 years to AAA and Mercedes Benz Roadside Assistance programs. They have given me superb service in times of need and even when I proved to be just absent minded by locking my keys in my car. At the end of my policy period with these providers, 3/1/17, I allowed an AARP representative to elude me into believing that AARP Roadside Assistance Program from Allstate could do as great a job and save me a little money. Having just reached the 50 milestone and being wooed by the thought of saving, I decided to give AARP/Allstate a try. WRONG ANSWER!!!

Today, April 28. 2017, my car malfunctioned and stalled on one of the busiest stretches of intersection in Louisiana, the Manchac Bridge. As five Louisiana State Troopers passed me by without any acknowledgement, I, without hesitation, called the toll free number expecting assistance. Instead, I was told that my payment had not been received and there was nothing that could be done for me.

Knowing fully that the $58 charge had processed on my AMEX, I called the credit card company to scream at them. As I knew, the charge had processed over 2 weeks ago. The only peace I had was knowing that AMEX would recover my funds immediately. But I was instructed to call ARRP/Allstate back and dispute their position. Upon doing so, I lost another 30 minutes speaking to foreign representatives who had no understanding of the English language. After 3 tries, I demanded an English speaking representative.

The representative, an alleged supervisor, stated there was nothing she could do to correct the improper posting of my payment. She gave service referrals only after I read to her the back of my membership card which stated that she could assist me by requesting roadside assistance and allowing me to pay on the spot and be reimbursed once the posting was corrected. All the dispatchers at the referral businesses were very polite and insightful.

Unfortunately, the attitude was very different with the actual towing company owner who dispatched the service truck, Touch of Class Towing in Albany, Louisiana. The owner, Joe, pretended to be empathetic and helpful. He insisted that he would come to assist me, he stated there was no need to call any other towing services and even recommended a repair shop. I was told that a tow truck was headed to me to take me home or to a repair shop and that I could pay when the service was performed. The driver, Gaven, was very polite, kind and calming.

My car was loaded on the wrecker and off we went. To my surprise, the owner instructed his driver to take me completely out of the path toward my home, he then insisted that he could only take cash, could not write a receipt because "there was no one in his office", and wanted to dump me at a McDonald's to try to find transportation in a town where I did not know anyone and was nowhere near my home. I requested that my car be taken to the repair shop with whom I had scheduled an appointment. The owner refused to allow me to be taken to the repair shop and attempted to take my car to his impound yard for the weekend. Mind you, today is Thursday. I disagreed and told him. I would rather be taken to a local police station if he was not going to tow me to my requested location. The driver was then instructed not to allow me access to my car. So I had to call police.

As I attempted to call, an officer drove up. Thank God, he was familiar with this company and their less than honorable nature. If the officer had not shown up when he did, I could have been stranded in an unknown area and my car would have been STOLEN!!! The Albany Police Officer was exceptionally kind, he instructed the driver not to leave with my car, waited with me until my sister made it, and assured that we received verification of the payment. The driver demanded had to be cash, $150 quoted, $54 extra dollars charged for waiting on my sister to get there. But mind you, once the Police Office demanded some for of receipt of payment, the owner had us wait another 20 minutes for him to arrive with a receipt, no discount as given for us waiting. I am an auditor and have traveled the highways for 17 years.

This has been the worst experience I have had in my 15 years of dealing with roadside assistance services. AARP roadside assistance from Allstate is the worst roadside assistance I have ever had. I would not recommend this service to my worst enemy's dead, decaying, stinking dog!!! Because of Allstate and AARP, my car and my life were placed in an extremely unsafe situation tonight!!! I have already called and reestablished my AAA Service!!! To God be the glory for giving someone the vision to form AAA!!!

Original review: March 18, 2017

Waited on hold for 37 mins at 2:45 am with flat tire 9 degrees outside and 30 mph winds. When they finally answered they called a company to change my tire that was located in TX (I'm in CT and 1 mile from my home). Waited 45 mins and no one showed up. Called this company and they stated that my call was cancelled by allstate because they "couldn't pay" and the guy on the phone sounded somewhat amused. Called back roadside, another 17 mins on hold, told the csr what happened and she said "oh they have done this before, they are not very reliable" (then why the hell would you use them?) Told her about a tow company.5 miles from me. She put me on hold for another 10 mins, came back and said that they were on the way. 1 hour later I called the tow company to ask them what the hold up was. They stated that they needed a fax with the paperwork to come through, and once it did he would be right there.

So once again I call roadside to find out why the paperwork had not gone through. 15 mins on hold, I hung up and called the tow company and paid them $100.00 to tow me home. I have sent the receipt to allstate but have not heard anything yet. I have since cancelled, and went back to AAA. Stay away from this company. And with all the bad reviews, I am amazed they are still in business.

Original review: March 16, 2017

Needed a tow first time since getting service over a year ago. Very unimpressed with customer service! Was put on hold 15 minutes, then told would need to call me back. When I was called back was told would be 2 hours to get a tow! Told the rep to cancel service. Will have to reschedule in morning as the repair shop would be closed by the time they arrive. I don't live in the middle of nowhere! Am seriously considering changing to AAA. My mother has them, much faster service.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

My car broke down in the middle of a busy intersection. When I called for assistance, I was directed to a woman in India who spoke very broken English and understood even less. I tried to tell her how I needed help urgently, but for a half hour... 30 minutes, she insisted on asking me the same questions, and never connected me with a towing company. I finally had to hang up on her and find someone who had another roadside service so I could get a tow truck to remove my car. At first I was alarmed by the lack of help, but now I'm just disappointed and angry. I've canceled my subscription and joined AAA. At least I know when I call for roadside service now, I won't have to talk to India to get help from around the corner.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

Me and my stepdaughter with my 3 year old grandson were in Nashville Tn at the airport where my stepdaughter had forgot to gas up. As we were waiting with car running it ran out of gas. I called AARP roadside assistance at 12.23 pm, told them my problem, where I was and I knew a Shell station was 1.1 mile away. I have the app Gas Buddy so I knew a gas station wasn't far. After 3 phone calls for each representative who had me on hold for a long time just to come back on phone to tell me they couldn't get the driver to answer phone.

By this time it was an hour and 40 minutes. Which by now my stepdaughter walked to get the gas herself. My 3 yr grandson was getting restless and good thing it wasn't real cold or I probably would contact a lawyer over their service. I would not recommend this roadside to anyone. I told them I'm discontinuing their service still the same as before. Don't waste your time. I'm going with AAA. I had it before and had a flat tire once and someone was there in 15 minutes. So for a woman it's best to go with the service you can depend on and it's more safer than to sit for help an hour half.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Every year I start receiving near weekly "renewal invoices" from these guys, and every year it's the same deal. They appear to be intentionally vague about EXACTLY when the renewal is due (usually 2 or three months later than the "renewal invoices" start coming), and always "assume" that I want to "renew" at what appears to be their most expensive plan, whatever that might happen to actually contain. It seems nearly impossible to get straightforward WRITTEN answers out of them on any of these issues. I get the very strong feeling that their business model is pushing the "old and feeble and slow of mind" idea, which could not be further from the truth. The one time I needed some assistance I pounded sand and resolved it myself. This is just a nice word for "alleged" theft. I'm gone - beware AARP Motoring!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I am writing this for my 88-year-old mother. Around 10:00 pm, Thanksgiving evening, my mother was driving home from our family dinner. She always carries a cell phone and has AARP roadside assistance, so she has always felt secure and safe should an emergency arise. While driving home (she lives in a rural area) she had a flat tire. The call to roadside assistance immediately took place and she felt confident someone would come and help her. After waiting 45 min for a return call, she received a callback and the man informed her there was nothing available because it was a holiday.

My mother asked him if people did not have emergencies on holidays? He told she would have to call someone else. She did not know how to do that, she does not have a smart phone to look telephone numbers up. She called my brother-in-law for help. After hearing of this, the family is outraged! This is a service they offer "SENIOR CITIZENS". We are advising my mother to change insurance. We are just thankful she was not injured and made it home safely, no help from AARP.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

Thanksgiving morning, 11/24/16 we went out to our car in the driveway and found that the battery was dead. No problem, right? We have AARP Roadside Assistance. I called and got someone who I had trouble understanding, (maybe from India?) and he told me we had no coverage. We have been with the company since 2009 and always paid. He told me to call Customer Service, which I did. Guess what their voicemail message said - "We are sorry but we are not open as it is a holiday. Please call back on Monday." Now, we live in a senior mobile home park and had no neighbors that could physically push our car out to even jump start it. So - - we could not have our Thanksgiving dinner and were trapped in our house for the day. When I called Road Assistance on Friday I was told I did have coverage, there was no lapse of any kind (he also spoke like someone from India and said his name was Kavi).

He then transferred me to "Roger" who set up the service call with a very nice tow company who arrived within 25 minutes, manually pushed the car out of the driveway and jump started it. My husband told him he was driving it to Pep Boys and the driver volunteered to follow him to the next freeway off-ramp to make sure it was still running. The name of the towing company is Quality Towing and I highly recommend them. I DO NOT recommend AARP Roadside Assistance if they continue to hire people who can't speak good English and give false information. I did receive an e-mail from the manager, Phyllis **, apologizing for the recent "frustration and inconvenience" we experienced. Did she suggest they send us a check for the Thanksgiving dinner we missed? No. They will immediately identify and address the circumstances that resulted in this level of service. Nice idea.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

The AARP Roadside Assistance Plan working through Allstate is a very poor choice of service provider. Our most recent bad experience with them was calling for a tow, fortunately from our home, to a repair shop. The first estimate was 85 minutes. The auto-dialer called back at 90 minutes to see if the service had been completed. The next estimate was for 20 more minutes... Still no truck. Long-story-short, it took over 3.5 hours to get a tow.

This is not the first time we've have excessively long waits for service, it's just the longest so far. Fortunately, it was daytime, we were safe at home and could wait it out. If this had been at night on a rainy highway somewhere, it would have been much worse. Added to the long waits for service is the foreign call center being used. The operators are clearly all English as a second language people who are reading from their script cards. They have very little knowledge about the services or problems people are calling about. Cancelling our membership and returning to AAA. If anyone at AARP who considers what service plans to offer AARP Members is listening, please find a new provider or better yet, join up with AAA.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

I experienced a great deal of added frustration when I placed a call for service for a dead battery. The service dispatcher was unable to understand my English and I had to repeatedly and repeatedly spell words that were very basic, such as College. This added to the delay in service and when roadside arrived, he was directed to the wrong address. I will change service companies.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

Called for a tow (fortunately from my house on a nice day and not on the road in bad weather), and an automated voice put me through to the towing company, which then called back to say that Allstate says they have no record of me calling. Called to a live person (from India) and had to painstakingly and slowly give him all of my information. He conveyed it to the towing company, but it now said that Allstate said I was only covered for $100 rather than 100 miles. So called again, repeated this slow process, and another Indian agreed that it was for 100 miles. Called to confirm with towing, and they said they were getting two messages, but at last it was all confirmed. However, now the truck can't come for another two hours. This would have been intolerable if we were waiting on the highway waiting for three hours.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

I called them for emergency Roadside Assistance and I was told 85 min. I said that was unacceptable. They called again and said 105 min, it wound up to be 6 hours. Then I complained to customer service and they said would refund some of my money. A measly 15 dollars. I never received or heard from them again. AAA IS BETTER.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

Since no one has given this outfit more than 1 star, and that one probably only because it's required, this is a redundant rant and I could probably find a better use for my energy and time. It took a day and a half to get help with a flat tire on 8/27/16. The dispatcher at the AARP service took my phone # incorrectly and didn't fix it even after I corrected her. I corrected the number again on the second call that I made after I had been waiting twice the estimated time (that was only on the first day!). A day and a half later, when the tow truck finally arrived, he still had been given the original wrong phone number! Since my car was parked at my house right where the driver could see it exactly where he expected to find it, this guy had the intelligence to ring my doorbell when the wrong phone # didn't get me!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

I have paid for this service for over 2 years, used it once successfully though had to wait a considerable amount of time. I am now trying to get assistance with a battery charge and it is over 2 hours and they have not found a provider to come to help. This service is awful and I will attempt to get a refund on this year's membership since the service is not provided.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

AARP roadside assistance sucks. My car was damage in a tow, July 2, and I'm not getting nowhere. Made 5 complaints, nooooo one has called me back from July 2, and now it's August 2. Stay away from AARP roadside assistance.

Original review: June 10, 2016

I have paid into AARP for 16 years and "donated" when I thought it was a bill. They are a huge corporation with lots of MONEY and resources and I thought their roadside service would be like triple A BUT NO IT IS NOT! It starts out with the annoying blah blah blah you have no way of shutting up and it's a "give us some more money crap" you sure don't want to hear if you are me almost 70 with so many health issues and a brain tumor and have a DEAD BATTERY! I called with my loaned flip-flop phone with almost no bars and me with a dead battery. When he answers it's like he is on the other side of the world, LANGUAGE issues and the phone blanking out because it isn't a land line and I'm getting really pissed. It is a scary place to be when you're old and sick and parked legally in the disabled parking at the goodwill in Shoreline, WA.

I never really understood what he was saying because of his lack of English! It was about 6 PM when I first called and when I asked after being put on hold and then not and when again "When will they be here?" he said about 10 pm. I said "WHAT THE **". Yes I swore and then he hung up on me and cancelled my service. It isn't AARP anymore. They use ALLSTATE and they farm it out to people all over the USA and outside the USA. This same scenario happened to me 4 more times with the "NO ENGLISH SKILLS" and I had to listen to the annoying sell for AARP crap to get to the people that don't speak or understand and I have a brain tumor. This is for old people. It's the biggest ripoff ever and I will notify the attorney general of the state of Washington and the insurance commissioner!!!

I'm still so darn angry. The 6th person that was in New York could speak English but by this time, 2 hours later I was so mad and I said, "Don't hang up, please or you won't have a job". She laughed and said, "Oh, you don't get it! I will have a job, hahaha". So they farm it out to Allstate who farms it out to anyone with a cellphone. I'm SURE anyone who reads this will decide I'm not reasonable but I really am. It was a terrible situation and they are a JOKE!!! The really nice guy that came to my rescue said he couldn't understand why they kept cancelling. He could see I had been trying to get help for hrs but then they AARP cancelled me!

I don't care about being nice when what you get when you need help the most is a nauseating lady fake voice trying to sell you AARP PRODUCTS you must listen too. I was going to go to their office in Seattle but decided to instead file a complaint against them with the attorney general whichever is most appropriate. Again I don't care what kind of language I used after the first call that was it for me. I am not kissing their butt that service is misleading, insulting and we are all old with problems that was the original program not this attitude of arrogance from idiots with cell phones. I am not a fake review, this just happened to me. I'm not a robot that has no emotions. NO WORRIES, IDIOTS ARE EVERYWHERE! I'm responding to their guidelines of how to write an effective review. They are cheating people out of their money!!! Personal opinion.

Original review: May 14, 2016

Called roadside assistance, hard time understanding operator. He put me on hold 4 times, could not make him understand where I was located. I was 1 mile east of the Wabash River on highway 64 in Indiana heading east, simple enough and he must have asked me 5 times what is the ZIP code there was so he could look me up on the map. I GOT SO FRUSTRATED, AFTER 20 MINUTES OF THIS KNOTHEAD, I FINALLY FLAGGED SOMEONE DOWN TO HELP. When I get home it's back to AAA.

Original review: April 25, 2016

I have been a member of AARP roadside service-premier plan since 2008. I pay 114.00/year for the family plan. Since we have four cars in the family, we previously used the towing service at least three times. All of those tows were local tows and, despite AARP never being able to find us an authorized provider, they were reimbursed in full. The plan I have claims to pay all towing costs up to 100 miles at no additional charge. (From the manual, "Towing will be limited to 100 miles from the point of disablement at no additional charge. Any expenses incurred beyond the 100 mile limit will be your responsibility"). I called for help on 03/08/16 and needed to have my car towed approximately 45 miles to a car dealership. (The car had a cracked block and was under factory warranty. Honda paid ALL expenses for the repair.)

On the phone, the assistant said he could not find any tow services in my area to help. They NEVER can. I always end up calling for a tow. Therefore, he said he would leave it up to me to contact a tow truck and have my car towed. Then I would need to submit the receipt and claim under the claim # ** for reimbursement. I called Stanley Wrecker Service. He charged 335.00 to tow my car 45 miles to the dealer for dealer-only warranty service. On 04/04/16 I received a reimbursement check from AARP roadside for 130.00. This is 205.00 less than the actual tow amount.

I looked in the AARP roadside assistance manual and website for clarification. In the manual, under a heading entitled 'Special Equipment' is the paragraph, "Roadside Assistance coverage includes one normally equipped service vehicle, one driver, and one service call per disablement, up to a maximum cost of $130. Any costs for additional personnel or special equipment are not covered, are at the members expense, and are not reimbursable."

Further down in the manual under the heading, "Roadside Assistance Includes Towing", is "The service provider will tow your car if it cannot be started or driven without causing damage. Towing will be limited to 100 miles from the point of disablement at no additional charge. Any expenses incurred beyond the 100 mile limit will be your responsibility, payable directly to the service provider at the time of service, and are not reimbursable. Service is limited to one tow or service call per disablement." The website repeatedly makes statements that the Premier plan covers 'Towing up to 100 miles at no charge'.

Further down in the manual, under Dispatch Guarantee, is the statement "If we are unable to provide roadside assistance when you call, we will reimburse you up to $260 for covered services you locate yourself. Reimbursement for Lost/Stolen Key Replacement is limited to $25. Reimbursement for lockout service and accident towing is limited to $130." My tow was NOT an accident tow. My complaint is that AARP Roadside Services uses deceptive practices by repeatedly making statements that they will tow a car 100 miles at no charge, but then they only pay a maximum of 130.00 for each tow.

I specifically asked AARP Roadside to send me names of any Towing service that would accept 130.00 as payment for a 100 mile tow, but I never got a response. I doubt seriously that ANY towing service would do that, so why do they advertise it? And, why wouldn't they pay for my 45 mile tow if service providers in this part of the country charge that amount? I want to be fully reimbursed for my tow and I want these deceptive practices examined.

Original review: April 8, 2016

This is the first negative review I have ever posted about any business. On 3-4-16 I was stranded in the middle of the night with a dead battery, in a closed up business district, a mile’s walk from any kind of help. I called for roadside assistance. A half hour later the operator called me back and said “No one is available. I suggest you call the police.” I got on the phone myself and found a tow truck. I did the work that this service was supposed to provide. Afterward I attempted to cancel my AARP motor club membership and asked for a refund. I immediately signed up instead with AAA, because I do need a service like this, and I further need it to actually work. My request to cancel and receive a refund also has been ignored. As a senior woman, I expected better from an AARP affiliate. In posting this review I see this is business as usual for this company. AARP, you need to do better for your members.

Original review: March 19, 2016

I marked my calendar as to when my emergency road service expired. No renewal paperwork or phone call was ever received, so I called them. Renewal paperwork was to arrive in 7-10 days - nothing ever arrived. I called again - there was no info in their system of my previous call. Beware people - this is the caliber of service you will get with this company.

AARP Roadside Assistance Company Information