Save on Car Repairs

AARP Roadside Assistance
1.22/5
Based on 98 reviews that contain star ratings

AARP Roadside Assistance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

106 AARP Roadside Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Signed up for AARP in May and need the immediate tow from breakdown to home. Was not issued membership number and told I would need to pay out of pocket, then get reimbursed by AARP. I immediately began requesting reimbursement through Roadside Assistance. They dropped ball throughout summer - they never sent my claim to proper department or filed it in the round file. I kept having to call to find out status of claim. In early September I received an unprofessional form letter paragraph from Allstate saying my claim had been received from AARP, but they had not included my membership number. I immediately sent the form back with my membership number.

Today, September 23, I received letter stating my claim has been denied as it has been over 60 days since the date of service. Yes - because AARP has futzed around all summer over $109.95! Now I am expected to gather all of the correspondence, including postmarked envelopes, as well as any notes I may have taken from phone calls. Well, being that we were in the middle of moving, I made the mistake of trusting AARP, after all, they market themselves as the protectors of senior citizens and their wallets. Ha! I have just enough to prove what has been going on, but I did not copy the most recent Allstate correspondence - I responded and sent the form back to them. And who keeps envelopes? And most mail is no longer postmarked anyway!

I was going to look into AARP for auto and life insurance once we moved. I have also been looking forward to terminating my cellular contract with Sprint and signing up with Consumer Cellular through AARP. Scratch all that. This company is gangster just like all the large greedy corporations claiming they are looking out for our well-being. For roadside assistance, AAA would have been the better choice. Stay away from AARP!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I wish I had read these reviews before being duped by a "reputable" organization like AARP into signing up for Allstate roadside assistance. I signed up/paid my money in March 2018. It is now mid-September 2018 and I have yet to receive my ID card or the two (2) "free" watches promised as an incentive to sign up. I have called multiple times and each time have been told "it will be another 6-8 weeks". THAT IS RIDICULOUS! I told Allstate today that I either wanted my money returned or that the Roadside packet with watches be sent via UPS or FedEx SO THAT I HAVE A TRACKING NUMBER to verify that it was actually sent. After reading all these reviews, I want to know why AARP hasn't severed ties with this company?

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Folks, when shopping for a roadside assistance service, you can believe these one star reviews. Called last night at 8:50 for assistance, father-in-law hit a curb and blew out both passenger side tires. Friendly face on the other end of the line promised a tow truck would be there in 50 minutes. We explained to them that the truck was on a dark road with no shoulder and the driver is a 75 year old disabled vet... while I don’t expect immediate service, I expect timely service, and 50 minutes I thought was reasonable. Received a text from AARP 15 minutes later... Service truck was going to be late, somewhere between 10:40 and 11:00 pm. To AARP’s defense, they did call a few times to see if the tow truck had arrived. When they called we indicated no and they in turn tried to contact the tow company and could get no response. With no response from the tow company AARP told us another 10-15 minutes or so.

This went on and on with calls from AARP until midnight (a full 3+ hours after the first call) when I finally unloaded on the representative and told them in no uncertain terms that I was greatly dissatisfied and they need to get someone out here NOW! The representative explained that they would first have to cancel the initial towing provider (that they could not reach by phone since 9:00) and call a new one which could take longer. My response was, “do what you need to do to get someone out here as quickly as possible.”

Finally at 1:20, a nice fellow (dispatched from AARP) from Colonial Towing in Upper Marlboro, MD showed up for service. He quickly loaded up the truck and was on his way. Even though it wasn’t his fault, he was genuinely apologetic for us having to wait over 4 hours for a tow. Long story short, save your money and patronize a better service like AAA... AARP/Allstate was horrible and left a 75 year old disabled vet and his family stranded for over 4 hours in the middle of the night.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

In June of 2017 I purchased a van conversion in preparation for a trip from Florida to California. I was 72 years old and traveling alone. I spoke with a sales rep of AARP's road service who asked a lot of questions about my vehicle which I provided along with the VIN. Two months later, in August, My vehicle broke down in the middle of the Gator Alley Bridge in Alabama. I called AARP Roadside Assistance and was told that they had sold me the wrong insurance and they weren't going to send anyone out to help because my vehicle was too heavy. I was devastated. I had no choice but to call 911 and the bridge authorities sent one of their bridge vehicles to guide me off the bridge, when I was once again alone with a broken vehicle. I had to find a tow company myself and paid over $300 for two separate tows, once to a hotel and then to a Dodge repair shop - I was in a strange state, strange town, on a strange road and completely helpless.

All I have received from Allstate/AARP is a letter apologizing for the "inconvenience" and telling me that my $58 premium will be credited back to my credit card (which they know no longer exists)!!! I can't call anyone because they will not give me a phone number. I've made over 30 phone calls all over the country trying to find addresses and/or phone numbers. I finally found one address in TX, but was told that they "cannot give a phone number." I was defrauded not "inconvenienced" and could have been killed, so this can in no way be deemed "inconvenience." I see many, many complaints similar to mine from people going back many years, so nobody is doing anything about this. Somehow a class action should be brought to put a stop to this.

Original review: July 20, 2018

On 7/12/18 we attempted to get assistance in Pearl City when my daughter's car would not start. We thought it was the battery and requested a jump start. The provider here in Honolulu, Hawaii is Pop-A-Lock who can only jump start the car. Pop-A-Lock service personnel drive a compact car and do not provide services such as battery replacement for a fee (as does AAA) nor are they able to tow the car. For unknown reasons, the service request was cancelled and my daughter texted back to advise service was still needed. One hour later, still waiting and a followup call the service person claimed they called 4 times, circled the area and left for another call close by but would return after completing that call.

An 90 minutes later, the service person calls and claims since he was not able to contact her, the call was marked cancelled and he would not be able to come until he received a new call. He indicated he left to respond to another call in Haleiwa (north shore, 40 minutes away) and now stuck in Lanikai traffic (other side of the island) and did not know when he would be able to come. AARP Roadside service was called again. The operator said she could put up a call but could not request a provider but it would be handled by whoever responded to the call first. Almost two hours later, message rec'd from Pop-A-Lock sent a message saying service person to arrive. My daughter attempted to contact Pop-A-Lock directly, calling 5 times, but the phone was busy and there was no option to leave a message.

In the end, a friend had to be called to pick up a new battery and replaced it. AARP Roadside Service is WORTHLESS!!! DO NOT GET IT!!! Below are my daughter's notes on the specifics: Thursday, July 12, 2018 At 4:39 PM, I called AARP Roadside Service to report that my car battery was dead and to request assistance. After waiting on hold for about 10 minutes, I spoke to a representative who asked for my location and a description of my car, and said that she would send a service provider to help me. I received a status update via text message from AARP at 4:59 PM that said they have confirmed with Pop-a-Lock of Honolulu and that they should arrive between 5:56 PM – 6:11 PM.

At 5:19 PM, I received another text message from AARP that said they received a service cancellation, and to text “service” if I still needed assistance. I had not cancelled, so I texted “service.” At 5:30 PM, I received a call from AARP asking about the cancellation, and I explained that I had not cancelled the service call. She said she would contact the service provider and call me back.

At 5:45 PM, the AARP representative called back and said the service provider had sent someone out to my location, called me 4 times, and circled the location before leaving to respond to another call. I told her that I did not receive any missed calls and that no service provider had come (I was standing next to my car in a parking lot.) She asked me if I was sure that I was standing near my car, and I responded that I was. She sounded like she did not know what to do at that point, gave me the phone number for the service provider, and suggested that I call them myself.

When I spoke to the dispatch center at Pop-a-Lock, the representative repeated the same story of how the service person had called me 4 times, and had left when I did not answer. I explained to her that I did not receive any missed calls, and she said she understands that the area has “spotty” reception. (It does not.) She said that the person assigned to me left to take care of another call close by and should be at my location shortly.

At 6:08 PM, I received a call from the service person who was assigned to me, and he said that he tried to call me 4 times and that I did not answer. I told him that I did not receive any missed calls, and he continued to insist that he called me. He mentioned that my service call was marked as “cancelled” so he wouldn’t come until he received a new call. When I told him that I never cancelled the call, he said that he had left to respond to another call in Haleiwa, was now stuck in traffic, and did not know how long it would take for him to get to me anyway. I told him I would call AARP to straighten out the situation.

At 6:15 PM I called AARP again to explain the situation and ask if they could send a different service provider to me since the current person was stuck in traffic. She said she could put in another request, but the service provider to respond would be whoever responded to the call first. At 6:25 PM I received a text message from AARP that said that the same service provider, Pop-a-Lock, was sending service, and that they were set to arrive between 7:25 PM – 7:40 PM.

I tried to call Pop-a-Lock to request a different service person, since the one initially assigned to me was stuck in traffic. I attempted to call them 5 times over the next 10 minutes, but their phone line was busy, and there was no option to leave a message. By that time, I had been waiting for a total of 2 hours. I decided to call a friend, who drove to me with a new car battery and changed it for me. After I got home, I called Pop-a-Lock to cancel my service call. Ten minutes later, I got a call from the service person who was responding to my service call. I guess the dispatch center had not informed the service person that the service call was cancelled. Poor communication and service!

Updated on 08/01/2018: This is a followup response to earlier post: FRUSTRATING MAIL TOO!!! Got a letter in the mail from AARP Roadside Assistance to let me know that we have used two of our three opportunities (For this year) to call for Roadside Assistance. First of all, we got NOTHING but had placed two calls (which were cancelled since we got no-shows from the Pop-A-Lock, the provider). So the cancelled calls still count!!! WHAT THE **? We have CANCELLED AARP ROADSIDE Service and signed up with the old reliable AAA!! AARP has not yet responded to what POP-A LOCK's excuse was!!! GOOD RIDDANCE to AARP which makes my blood boil every time I start to think about the NON-SERVICE they are providing to poor Seniors!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: June 13, 2018

On Feb. 23rd of 2018 my partner and I broke down going up a hill on a snowy back road between 2 and 3 miles from our NW Montana home. I immediately called the AARP Roadside Assistance program, my first ever call after signing up in October of 2017. I had signed up for the service for the sole reason that I didn't want my partner, a cancer patient in active treatment to have to deal with this kind of situation. It was late afternoon on a Friday, and in Mt. that means near dark. The temperature was below freezing. The operator was quite helpful but after an hour was unable to find anyone local to come tow us home. She suggested we leave the vehicle because she thought she could get it towed in the morning. This was not feasible, not only too long and cold a walk for my partner, but also a danger to leave the vehicle on a narrow, slick road after dark as well.

I told the representative that I could not leave the vehicle unattended and that I would walk for help and take care of it myself. She was very apologetic and gave me a claim number and instructions to write up the details and submit a claim for $120 since she could not get help for us. She said she would include all the details in her report as well. I walked home in the dark. I brought jumper cables and a tow rope back in our small car. My partner and I had to roll the stranded vehicle down the hill backwards and use the car and tow rope at the bottom to pull the pickup backwards and forwards until it was turned around, in order to hook it up and tow it home. It could not be jumped and the small car could not tow it up the hill. It took well over an hour and was pretty arduous.

I did as the rep had told me and submitted a claim in the next couple of days to AARP Roadside Assistance. I never heard back. On April 16th I called and asked about the claim. After being passed around and put on hold I was informed the claim was denied because there hadn't been a "proper invoice". I went over the whole situation with the phone rep and she assured me they would be in touch within 2 weeks. I never heard back.

I called again on May 1st and got the same spiel. I got a little cranky and ended up speaking with a supervisor of some sort who said I absolutely would be getting some kind of response in the mail within 2 weeks. I never got anything in the mail nor did I hear from them via the phone. I called AARP to report this complaint and they called Roadside Assistance on my behalf. Within a few days a rep called and said that they would be sending me $60 for my claim. I told that rep the whole story and my frustration at being ignored and then jerked around. I then received a check for $60 on 6/12/2018.

I am not trying to get more money from AARP Roadside Assistance. I am writing this review so that anyone who might be thinking of trying this program has the chance to know beforehand that it is a rip-off. I am surprised that AARP has continued their affiliation with it after all the other negative reviews I have since read.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Last week, my tire blew out while I was traveling on a busy interstate. I immediately called for roadside assistance for a tire change. I was told that a truck would be there in 45 minutes. An hour later, I am still waiting so I called back and was then told the driver was stuck in traffic and be there in 20 minutes. ONE HOUR LATER, I called AARP Roadside Assistance AGAIN, only to be told “the driver says it’s too dangerous for him to change a tire on the interstate”. Hello?!? Not too dangerous for a female senior citizen (AARP is for seniors, right?) to be stranded on the interstate??? Exactly what IS Roadside Assistance if NOT for Assistance on the road??? I’m searching for another company and WILL NOT renew my membership!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

When our daughter's car went down a ditch, AARP Roadside was UNABLE to find someone in their network to tow her...and she was 20 minutes from a large city! We had to find someone who hugely overcharged us and am now waiting on AARP to reimburse us, and I doubt it will be for the full amount! This is the second time that we've been told they can't find anyone in their network to tow us... What is the use of having a roadside assistance plan if it can't be used? Despite the large difference in cost between AARP Roadside and AAA, I'm switching to AAA!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Well, I finally got a letter from AARP motoring plan (premier) confirming that they did NOT feel they owed me anything - even an apology. I had to pay $95 to have the car towed four miles to an exit, and a parking lot where AARP was allowed to tow me my free hundred miles. I paid $240 for 66 miles towing (over the hundred) and $95 for the first four miles. They would NOT admit that I had been deceived. Their "free towing" only works on SOME roads. Not toll roads, something like that.

Do not, I repeat, do not, get the AARP motoring plan! Go to AAA and get real service from a company that does not have a hundred negative reviews. Fair warning. And speaking of fair, Farewell, AARP motoring plan! I would NEVER sign up again, and would advise anyone to avoid it. Fooey. They did not care enough to want my membership to continue - and I'd been with them 11 years! Such is the loyalty of a corporation. Don't be on this ship when it goes down.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

My wife hit a big pothole on a dark highway along with about 15 others and blew out a tire at night in the cold rain. She called me so I called AARP Roadside Assistance. This was at 5:30 PM. At 7 PM still no one. Then I get a call from Florida (I'm in RI) from someone telling me the driver can't find the car, turns out he drove past the 5 cars near her and cruiser thinking I don't know what. I gave him specific directions again. At 7:30 still no one yet other wreckers came by for other people there.

At 7:30 I received a call from the service provider who was 6 miles away (very apologetic). Tells me the Auto Club cancelled the request. WTF. He says he's going to help anyway. So I directed him to my wife's car, now she's been waiting over 2 hours in the dark on a busy highway in the rain. The service person arrived in a car not a tow truck or wrecker. With a pothole large enough to blow out 15 tires there could have been frontend damage, fortunately not in our case. By 8 PM 2.5 hours later she was on her way. Stay far away from this one.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Called AARP Roadside Assistance by Allstate for a dead battery at 8:00 AM. AARP indicated that someone would arrive in 90 minutes. After the 1.5 hour wait with no service, we were told it would be another 80 minutes because all of their service providers were helping others with a greater need than ours. At 11:30 AM we still had no help and called AARP to tell them we had a noon appointment and asked to reschedule for 3:00 PM. We were assured that would be no problem.

We called when we returned at 1:30 and asked about service. The rep indicated it would arrive at approximately 3:00 (as we had asked she reminded us). At 4:15 PM, the rep called to say it would be at least another 75 minutes. 30 minutes later, she called back and indicated she had found a service provider who could come in 30 minutes and she named the make and model automobile. Although we own a vehicle of that kind, she had the wrong automobile registered for service! A total nightmare! I will be cancelling our AARP membership tomorrow morning. Pitiful service!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I needed roadside assistance and waited for service to arrive for 3.5 hours. I sat on the side of the road in the middle of the summer, no utilities, no water, a diabetic which I had stated on first call. The service provider was two towns over from me, never made contact even after several calls to AARP. My last call to AARP was less than stellar but service finally came. Once home, I called and cancelled my service immediately and went back to Triple AAA. Horrendous experience.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

My 80 year old Mother in Law had a dead battery in Fort Lauderdale earlier this week. She waited 4 hours for someone in the hot Florida heat to even call her back. They told her they had no one to even come jump start the car which was in a supermarket parking lot at 10:45 am. A tow truck finally came after 5 hours and took her to her mechanic which was closed. They wouldn't take her the six blocks to her home so she had to walk. I am really shocked that AARP was a company like this. Their response to me was lame. I wonder how the CEO of AARP would have felt if this happened to her 80 year old Mother in Law? I bought her AAA and got it for us too.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

When I needed a tow last Saturday August 19 , the fellow I was talking to at AARP could not speak clearly or understand English. I told him I needed a tow truck because my pickup would not start. He said I needed to drive to a filling station where they would jump-start my vehicle. I told him that I didn't need a jump start. I needed a tow truck. He finally said he would send help. I asked when I could expect help, and he answered, "Between 6 and 9." I said that's a 3-hour window! Then he said, "6-0-9."

Anyway when the fellow called in a little bit from the roadside service company, he said that AARP told him that I needed a jump start and had not authorized a tow. It cost me $135 out of my pocket. I just got off the phone with AARP to find out about a reimbursement. They told me they have a $130 limit and they have no quick response to problems like this. I'm considering dropping AARP coverage and getting one of those smart phones that I can ask where a local roadside service is if I happen to be out of my local area. The cost of the phone and the service help would be much cheaper that the $100 a year I'm paying AARP.

Original review: June 10, 2017

Do not ever get this AARP ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE JUNK!!! THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER. Your loved ones deserve better. This all started when my 16 year old daughter broke down and needed a tow about 10:30 on a weeknight. I called for a tow after about an hour was told no one could come get her and she needed to wait till in the morning at 9 am to call back, but the kick was when the guy said she needed to stay with the car till that time. WTH. Of course I lost it and he hung up on me. Next morning still trying to get car towed, I call at about 9:30 am to get the tow. They told me that they would be there in 1 hour 10 min.

After hanging up with them the tow company called said they would be out in 45 min but they had a different name from who the AARP so I asked if they were sent by AARP and he said yes plus that it would be no charge for the tow. So 1 hour goes by again I get a call from AARP checking to see if service had been done. I said no. I said the towing company called, said they had some problems but would be there in 45 min. I told her what towing company called. She confirmed it then put me on hold to call them. In the middle of talking to her the towing company called me to say that the driver was still about 30 min out. Click back over to AARP REP for her to say, “Yea. Driver is 25 mins out.” Now it's 11 something. AARP calls again but this time they’re saying another company is coming so now I'm mad as hell at this point.

After arguing with them for 30 min they finally called the tow company. Put them on the line so they could tell me and them that it was the same two companies. How you as a roadside assistance don't know who you send out. Not only that I paid the over mileage fee that night on the phone and then that morning they made me pay again. If I had not gotten a deposit that night I could have not paid for it that morning because they took what I had that night. This happen Wednesday and as of Friday I still have not been given my credit back for that and was told it could take 10 days.

It's so much more to this but bottom line. I'm going back to AAA. AARP SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THIS PRODUCT AND CUT TIES WITH IT. This is the worst service I have ever had. Tow got there at 1 pm after 9:30 am calling and by the way this was my second encounter with them and the first was bad too. Never again. Plus my card says AARP ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE by Allstate but State Farm is what was calling and taking out my account.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I have been faithful for 15 years to AAA and Mercedes Benz Roadside Assistance programs. They have given me superb service in times of need and even when I proved to be just absent minded by locking my keys in my car. At the end of my policy period with these providers, 3/1/17, I allowed an AARP representative to elude me into believing that AARP Roadside Assistance Program from Allstate could do as great a job and save me a little money. Having just reached the 50 milestone and being wooed by the thought of saving, I decided to give AARP/Allstate a try. WRONG ANSWER!!!

Today, April 28. 2017, my car malfunctioned and stalled on one of the busiest stretches of intersection in Louisiana, the Manchac Bridge. As five Louisiana State Troopers passed me by without any acknowledgement, I, without hesitation, called the toll free number expecting assistance. Instead, I was told that my payment had not been received and there was nothing that could be done for me.

Knowing fully that the $58 charge had processed on my AMEX, I called the credit card company to scream at them. As I knew, the charge had processed over 2 weeks ago. The only peace I had was knowing that AMEX would recover my funds immediately. But I was instructed to call ARRP/Allstate back and dispute their position. Upon doing so, I lost another 30 minutes speaking to foreign representatives who had no understanding of the English language. After 3 tries, I demanded an English speaking representative.

The representative, an alleged supervisor, stated there was nothing she could do to correct the improper posting of my payment. She gave service referrals only after I read to her the back of my membership card which stated that she could assist me by requesting roadside assistance and allowing me to pay on the spot and be reimbursed once the posting was corrected. All the dispatchers at the referral businesses were very polite and insightful.

Unfortunately, the attitude was very different with the actual towing company owner who dispatched the service truck, Touch of Class Towing in Albany, Louisiana. The owner, Joe, pretended to be empathetic and helpful. He insisted that he would come to assist me, he stated there was no need to call any other towing services and even recommended a repair shop. I was told that a tow truck was headed to me to take me home or to a repair shop and that I could pay when the service was performed. The driver, Gaven, was very polite, kind and calming.

My car was loaded on the wrecker and off we went. To my surprise, the owner instructed his driver to take me completely out of the path toward my home, he then insisted that he could only take cash, could not write a receipt because "there was no one in his office", and wanted to dump me at a McDonald's to try to find transportation in a town where I did not know anyone and was nowhere near my home. I requested that my car be taken to the repair shop with whom I had scheduled an appointment. The owner refused to allow me to be taken to the repair shop and attempted to take my car to his impound yard for the weekend. Mind you, today is Thursday. I disagreed and told him. I would rather be taken to a local police station if he was not going to tow me to my requested location. The driver was then instructed not to allow me access to my car. So I had to call police.

As I attempted to call, an officer drove up. Thank God, he was familiar with this company and their less than honorable nature. If the officer had not shown up when he did, I could have been stranded in an unknown area and my car would have been STOLEN!!! The Albany Police Officer was exceptionally kind, he instructed the driver not to leave with my car, waited with me until my sister made it, and assured that we received verification of the payment. The driver demanded had to be cash, $150 quoted, $54 extra dollars charged for waiting on my sister to get there. But mind you, once the Police Office demanded some for of receipt of payment, the owner had us wait another 20 minutes for him to arrive with a receipt, no discount as given for us waiting. I am an auditor and have traveled the highways for 17 years.

This has been the worst experience I have had in my 15 years of dealing with roadside assistance services. AARP roadside assistance from Allstate is the worst roadside assistance I have ever had. I would not recommend this service to my worst enemy's dead, decaying, stinking dog!!! Because of Allstate and AARP, my car and my life were placed in an extremely unsafe situation tonight!!! I have already called and reestablished my AAA Service!!! To God be the glory for giving someone the vision to form AAA!!!

Original review: March 18, 2017

Waited on hold for 37 mins at 2:45 am with flat tire 9 degrees outside and 30 mph winds. When they finally answered they called a company to change my tire that was located in TX (I'm in CT and 1 mile from my home). Waited 45 mins and no one showed up. Called this company and they stated that my call was cancelled by allstate because they "couldn't pay" and the guy on the phone sounded somewhat amused. Called back roadside, another 17 mins on hold, told the csr what happened and she said "oh they have done this before, they are not very reliable" (then why the hell would you use them?) Told her about a tow company.5 miles from me. She put me on hold for another 10 mins, came back and said that they were on the way. 1 hour later I called the tow company to ask them what the hold up was. They stated that they needed a fax with the paperwork to come through, and once it did he would be right there.

So once again I call roadside to find out why the paperwork had not gone through. 15 mins on hold, I hung up and called the tow company and paid them $100.00 to tow me home. I have sent the receipt to allstate but have not heard anything yet. I have since cancelled, and went back to AAA. Stay away from this company. And with all the bad reviews, I am amazed they are still in business.

Original review: March 16, 2017

Needed a tow first time since getting service over a year ago. Very unimpressed with customer service! Was put on hold 15 minutes, then told would need to call me back. When I was called back was told would be 2 hours to get a tow! Told the rep to cancel service. Will have to reschedule in morning as the repair shop would be closed by the time they arrive. I don't live in the middle of nowhere! Am seriously considering changing to AAA. My mother has them, much faster service.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

My car broke down in the middle of a busy intersection. When I called for assistance, I was directed to a woman in India who spoke very broken English and understood even less. I tried to tell her how I needed help urgently, but for a half hour... 30 minutes, she insisted on asking me the same questions, and never connected me with a towing company. I finally had to hang up on her and find someone who had another roadside service so I could get a tow truck to remove my car. At first I was alarmed by the lack of help, but now I'm just disappointed and angry. I've canceled my subscription and joined AAA. At least I know when I call for roadside service now, I won't have to talk to India to get help from around the corner.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

Me and my stepdaughter with my 3 year old grandson were in Nashville Tn at the airport where my stepdaughter had forgot to gas up. As we were waiting with car running it ran out of gas. I called AARP roadside assistance at 12.23 pm, told them my problem, where I was and I knew a Shell station was 1.1 mile away. I have the app Gas Buddy so I knew a gas station wasn't far. After 3 phone calls for each representative who had me on hold for a long time just to come back on phone to tell me they couldn't get the driver to answer phone.

By this time it was an hour and 40 minutes. Which by now my stepdaughter walked to get the gas herself. My 3 yr grandson was getting restless and good thing it wasn't real cold or I probably would contact a lawyer over their service. I would not recommend this roadside to anyone. I told them I'm discontinuing their service still the same as before. Don't waste your time. I'm going with AAA. I had it before and had a flat tire once and someone was there in 15 minutes. So for a woman it's best to go with the service you can depend on and it's more safer than to sit for help an hour half.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Every year I start receiving near weekly "renewal invoices" from these guys, and every year it's the same deal. They appear to be intentionally vague about EXACTLY when the renewal is due (usually 2 or three months later than the "renewal invoices" start coming), and always "assume" that I want to "renew" at what appears to be their most expensive plan, whatever that might happen to actually contain. It seems nearly impossible to get straightforward WRITTEN answers out of them on any of these issues. I get the very strong feeling that their business model is pushing the "old and feeble and slow of mind" idea, which could not be further from the truth. The one time I needed some assistance I pounded sand and resolved it myself. This is just a nice word for "alleged" theft. I'm gone - beware AARP Motoring!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I am writing this for my 88-year-old mother. Around 10:00 pm, Thanksgiving evening, my mother was driving home from our family dinner. She always carries a cell phone and has AARP roadside assistance, so she has always felt secure and safe should an emergency arise. While driving home (she lives in a rural area) she had a flat tire. The call to roadside assistance immediately took place and she felt confident someone would come and help her. After waiting 45 min for a return call, she received a callback and the man informed her there was nothing available because it was a holiday.

My mother asked him if people did not have emergencies on holidays? He told she would have to call someone else. She did not know how to do that, she does not have a smart phone to look telephone numbers up. She called my brother-in-law for help. After hearing of this, the family is outraged! This is a service they offer "SENIOR CITIZENS". We are advising my mother to change insurance. We are just thankful she was not injured and made it home safely, no help from AARP.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

Thanksgiving morning, 11/24/16 we went out to our car in the driveway and found that the battery was dead. No problem, right? We have AARP Roadside Assistance. I called and got someone who I had trouble understanding, (maybe from India?) and he told me we had no coverage. We have been with the company since 2009 and always paid. He told me to call Customer Service, which I did. Guess what their voicemail message said - "We are sorry but we are not open as it is a holiday. Please call back on Monday." Now, we live in a senior mobile home park and had no neighbors that could physically push our car out to even jump start it. So - - we could not have our Thanksgiving dinner and were trapped in our house for the day. When I called Road Assistance on Friday I was told I did have coverage, there was no lapse of any kind (he also spoke like someone from India and said his name was Kavi).

He then transferred me to "Roger" who set up the service call with a very nice tow company who arrived within 25 minutes, manually pushed the car out of the driveway and jump started it. My husband told him he was driving it to Pep Boys and the driver volunteered to follow him to the next freeway off-ramp to make sure it was still running. The name of the towing company is Quality Towing and I highly recommend them. I DO NOT recommend AARP Roadside Assistance if they continue to hire people who can't speak good English and give false information. I did receive an e-mail from the manager, Phyllis **, apologizing for the recent "frustration and inconvenience" we experienced. Did she suggest they send us a check for the Thanksgiving dinner we missed? No. They will immediately identify and address the circumstances that resulted in this level of service. Nice idea.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

The AARP Roadside Assistance Plan working through Allstate is a very poor choice of service provider. Our most recent bad experience with them was calling for a tow, fortunately from our home, to a repair shop. The first estimate was 85 minutes. The auto-dialer called back at 90 minutes to see if the service had been completed. The next estimate was for 20 more minutes... Still no truck. Long-story-short, it took over 3.5 hours to get a tow.

This is not the first time we've have excessively long waits for service, it's just the longest so far. Fortunately, it was daytime, we were safe at home and could wait it out. If this had been at night on a rainy highway somewhere, it would have been much worse. Added to the long waits for service is the foreign call center being used. The operators are clearly all English as a second language people who are reading from their script cards. They have very little knowledge about the services or problems people are calling about. Cancelling our membership and returning to AAA. If anyone at AARP who considers what service plans to offer AARP Members is listening, please find a new provider or better yet, join up with AAA.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

I experienced a great deal of added frustration when I placed a call for service for a dead battery. The service dispatcher was unable to understand my English and I had to repeatedly and repeatedly spell words that were very basic, such as College. This added to the delay in service and when roadside arrived, he was directed to the wrong address. I will change service companies.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

Called for a tow (fortunately from my house on a nice day and not on the road in bad weather), and an automated voice put me through to the towing company, which then called back to say that Allstate says they have no record of me calling. Called to a live person (from India) and had to painstakingly and slowly give him all of my information. He conveyed it to the towing company, but it now said that Allstate said I was only covered for $100 rather than 100 miles. So called again, repeated this slow process, and another Indian agreed that it was for 100 miles. Called to confirm with towing, and they said they were getting two messages, but at last it was all confirmed. However, now the truck can't come for another two hours. This would have been intolerable if we were waiting on the highway waiting for three hours.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

I called them for emergency Roadside Assistance and I was told 85 min. I said that was unacceptable. They called again and said 105 min, it wound up to be 6 hours. Then I complained to customer service and they said would refund some of my money. A measly 15 dollars. I never received or heard from them again. AAA IS BETTER.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

Since no one has given this outfit more than 1 star, and that one probably only because it's required, this is a redundant rant and I could probably find a better use for my energy and time. It took a day and a half to get help with a flat tire on 8/27/16. The dispatcher at the AARP service took my phone # incorrectly and didn't fix it even after I corrected her. I corrected the number again on the second call that I made after I had been waiting twice the estimated time (that was only on the first day!). A day and a half later, when the tow truck finally arrived, he still had been given the original wrong phone number! Since my car was parked at my house right where the driver could see it exactly where he expected to find it, this guy had the intelligence to ring my doorbell when the wrong phone # didn't get me!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

I have paid for this service for over 2 years, used it once successfully though had to wait a considerable amount of time. I am now trying to get assistance with a battery charge and it is over 2 hours and they have not found a provider to come to help. This service is awful and I will attempt to get a refund on this year's membership since the service is not provided.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

AARP roadside assistance sucks. My car was damage in a tow, July 2, and I'm not getting nowhere. Made 5 complaints, nooooo one has called me back from July 2, and now it's August 2. Stay away from AARP roadside assistance.

AARP Roadside Assistance Company Information