Save on Car Repairs

AARP Roadside Assistance
1.22/5
Based on 101 reviews that contain star ratings

AARP Roadside Assistance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

109 AARP Roadside Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

Since no one has given this outfit more than 1 star, and that one probably only because it's required, this is a redundant rant and I could probably find a better use for my energy and time. It took a day and a half to get help with a flat tire on 8/27/16. The dispatcher at the AARP service took my phone # incorrectly and didn't fix it even after I corrected her. I corrected the number again on the second call that I made after I had been waiting twice the estimated time (that was only on the first day!). A day and a half later, when the tow truck finally arrived, he still had been given the original wrong phone number! Since my car was parked at my house right where the driver could see it exactly where he expected to find it, this guy had the intelligence to ring my doorbell when the wrong phone # didn't get me!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

I have paid for this service for over 2 years, used it once successfully though had to wait a considerable amount of time. I am now trying to get assistance with a battery charge and it is over 2 hours and they have not found a provider to come to help. This service is awful and I will attempt to get a refund on this year's membership since the service is not provided.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

AARP roadside assistance sucks. My car was damage in a tow, July 2, and I'm not getting nowhere. Made 5 complaints, nooooo one has called me back from July 2, and now it's August 2. Stay away from AARP roadside assistance.

Original review: June 10, 2016

I have paid into AARP for 16 years and "donated" when I thought it was a bill. They are a huge corporation with lots of MONEY and resources and I thought their roadside service would be like triple A BUT NO IT IS NOT! It starts out with the annoying blah blah blah you have no way of shutting up and it's a "give us some more money crap" you sure don't want to hear if you are me almost 70 with so many health issues and a brain tumor and have a DEAD BATTERY! I called with my loaned flip-flop phone with almost no bars and me with a dead battery. When he answers it's like he is on the other side of the world, LANGUAGE issues and the phone blanking out because it isn't a land line and I'm getting really pissed. It is a scary place to be when you're old and sick and parked legally in the disabled parking at the goodwill in Shoreline, WA.

I never really understood what he was saying because of his lack of English! It was about 6 PM when I first called and when I asked after being put on hold and then not and when again "When will they be here?" he said about 10 pm. I said "WHAT THE **". Yes I swore and then he hung up on me and cancelled my service. It isn't AARP anymore. They use ALLSTATE and they farm it out to people all over the USA and outside the USA. This same scenario happened to me 4 more times with the "NO ENGLISH SKILLS" and I had to listen to the annoying sell for AARP crap to get to the people that don't speak or understand and I have a brain tumor. This is for old people. It's the biggest ripoff ever and I will notify the attorney general of the state of Washington and the insurance commissioner!!!

I'm still so darn angry. The 6th person that was in New York could speak English but by this time, 2 hours later I was so mad and I said, "Don't hang up, please or you won't have a job". She laughed and said, "Oh, you don't get it! I will have a job, hahaha". So they farm it out to Allstate who farms it out to anyone with a cellphone. I'm SURE anyone who reads this will decide I'm not reasonable but I really am. It was a terrible situation and they are a JOKE!!! The really nice guy that came to my rescue said he couldn't understand why they kept cancelling. He could see I had been trying to get help for hrs but then they AARP cancelled me!

I don't care about being nice when what you get when you need help the most is a nauseating lady fake voice trying to sell you AARP PRODUCTS you must listen too. I was going to go to their office in Seattle but decided to instead file a complaint against them with the attorney general whichever is most appropriate. Again I don't care what kind of language I used after the first call that was it for me. I am not kissing their butt that service is misleading, insulting and we are all old with problems that was the original program not this attitude of arrogance from idiots with cell phones. I am not a fake review, this just happened to me. I'm not a robot that has no emotions. NO WORRIES, IDIOTS ARE EVERYWHERE! I'm responding to their guidelines of how to write an effective review. They are cheating people out of their money!!! Personal opinion.

Original review: May 14, 2016

Called roadside assistance, hard time understanding operator. He put me on hold 4 times, could not make him understand where I was located. I was 1 mile east of the Wabash River on highway 64 in Indiana heading east, simple enough and he must have asked me 5 times what is the ZIP code there was so he could look me up on the map. I GOT SO FRUSTRATED, AFTER 20 MINUTES OF THIS KNOTHEAD, I FINALLY FLAGGED SOMEONE DOWN TO HELP. When I get home it's back to AAA.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: April 25, 2016

I have been a member of AARP roadside service-premier plan since 2008. I pay 114.00/year for the family plan. Since we have four cars in the family, we previously used the towing service at least three times. All of those tows were local tows and, despite AARP never being able to find us an authorized provider, they were reimbursed in full. The plan I have claims to pay all towing costs up to 100 miles at no additional charge. (From the manual, "Towing will be limited to 100 miles from the point of disablement at no additional charge. Any expenses incurred beyond the 100 mile limit will be your responsibility"). I called for help on 03/08/16 and needed to have my car towed approximately 45 miles to a car dealership. (The car had a cracked block and was under factory warranty. Honda paid ALL expenses for the repair.)

On the phone, the assistant said he could not find any tow services in my area to help. They NEVER can. I always end up calling for a tow. Therefore, he said he would leave it up to me to contact a tow truck and have my car towed. Then I would need to submit the receipt and claim under the claim # ** for reimbursement. I called Stanley Wrecker Service. He charged 335.00 to tow my car 45 miles to the dealer for dealer-only warranty service. On 04/04/16 I received a reimbursement check from AARP roadside for 130.00. This is 205.00 less than the actual tow amount.

I looked in the AARP roadside assistance manual and website for clarification. In the manual, under a heading entitled 'Special Equipment' is the paragraph, "Roadside Assistance coverage includes one normally equipped service vehicle, one driver, and one service call per disablement, up to a maximum cost of $130. Any costs for additional personnel or special equipment are not covered, are at the members expense, and are not reimbursable."

Further down in the manual under the heading, "Roadside Assistance Includes Towing", is "The service provider will tow your car if it cannot be started or driven without causing damage. Towing will be limited to 100 miles from the point of disablement at no additional charge. Any expenses incurred beyond the 100 mile limit will be your responsibility, payable directly to the service provider at the time of service, and are not reimbursable. Service is limited to one tow or service call per disablement." The website repeatedly makes statements that the Premier plan covers 'Towing up to 100 miles at no charge'.

Further down in the manual, under Dispatch Guarantee, is the statement "If we are unable to provide roadside assistance when you call, we will reimburse you up to $260 for covered services you locate yourself. Reimbursement for Lost/Stolen Key Replacement is limited to $25. Reimbursement for lockout service and accident towing is limited to $130." My tow was NOT an accident tow. My complaint is that AARP Roadside Services uses deceptive practices by repeatedly making statements that they will tow a car 100 miles at no charge, but then they only pay a maximum of 130.00 for each tow.

I specifically asked AARP Roadside to send me names of any Towing service that would accept 130.00 as payment for a 100 mile tow, but I never got a response. I doubt seriously that ANY towing service would do that, so why do they advertise it? And, why wouldn't they pay for my 45 mile tow if service providers in this part of the country charge that amount? I want to be fully reimbursed for my tow and I want these deceptive practices examined.

Original review: April 8, 2016

This is the first negative review I have ever posted about any business. On 3-4-16 I was stranded in the middle of the night with a dead battery, in a closed up business district, a mile’s walk from any kind of help. I called for roadside assistance. A half hour later the operator called me back and said “No one is available. I suggest you call the police.” I got on the phone myself and found a tow truck. I did the work that this service was supposed to provide. Afterward I attempted to cancel my AARP motor club membership and asked for a refund. I immediately signed up instead with AAA, because I do need a service like this, and I further need it to actually work. My request to cancel and receive a refund also has been ignored. As a senior woman, I expected better from an AARP affiliate. In posting this review I see this is business as usual for this company. AARP, you need to do better for your members.

Original review: March 19, 2016

I marked my calendar as to when my emergency road service expired. No renewal paperwork or phone call was ever received, so I called them. Renewal paperwork was to arrive in 7-10 days - nothing ever arrived. I called again - there was no info in their system of my previous call. Beware people - this is the caliber of service you will get with this company.

Original review: March 7, 2016

Called for a tow truck. They said they would call me back in 10 min. I waited 30 min. then called them back. They said it was not logged that I had called, then said it would be a 2-hour wait for a tow truck. Long story short I never did get a tow truck. I called one and paid out of pocket. Tow truck was there in 15 min. This service is no good. Save your money or go with AAA.

Original review: March 1, 2016

My son broke down on the highway with his newborn infant on a below 0 night, he called the number on his card and after many question and comments and being put on hold, he was told there was no one available to come at that time, try again in the morning. By the morning they would have been frozen solid! After this any other petty problems, I tried to cancel. The non English speaking operator refused to cancel offering excuses for all of my problems and talking loudly over me when I objected. I finally said I'll call back and speak to someone else and hung up. He then continuously calls my number back like a deranged animal. I'm so upset because this is while I'm driving I have to pull over and block the number from my phone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2016

This is nonsense that I have an allstate-approved-towing 1 mile down the road and one has to come from 45 min away and it turns out this driver has a number of cars to tend to before he sees me. It's been over 1 1/2 hours and he's just now starting to my house. I called the towing 1 mile away to see if he had an answer to why he wasn't dispatched since he's close and he said that's how they do it... They have a list of 'preferred' towing and they start at the top of their list.

So why did they need my info 100x to get someone close to my house... Turns out they really didn't because they weren't sending someone close. Do these towers pay to be at the top of the list? They must because this makes no sense for anyone involved. It's ridiculous. Allstate rates #1 as a roadside provider but aarp (allstate) roadside is low on the list of good providers... What gives? Is it aarp at fault for such shoddy service or is allstate just giving older people less than average service when they are with aarp? Don't know which it is but I'm cancelling today.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2015

Run away from this service with extreme prejudice. They advertise peace of mind with 24 hour roadside assistance, but all they are is predators preying on senior citizens with their false claims of help and security. They are completely ill equipped to handle any kind of road side emergency that you may have.

On Saturday, 4.19.15, at 11 PM while traveling on the turnpike in South Miami (very, very bad neighborhood) my wife and I had a blowout. We had a spare but I couldn't budge the lugnuts and called AARP roadside. 10 minute wait on phone then we got an operator who put us in touch with a tow guy, who spoke such poor English I couldn't understand him other than we were 6 blocks out of his zone and he didn't have the equipment to change a tire, then he hung up on us.

Another ten minutes, and we were transferred to India, frigging India, where they going to send an elephant or what. After another 5 minutes of the poorest English imaginable which I could understand less than the first rude person, we were transferred back to an operator who finally determined that they didn't have anyone would could help us because it was too late and everyone was closed. They obviously didn't get the memo about 24 hour assistance.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2015

I have an old car and have been under my mom's account since 2009. I have had my car towed twice this year and twice last year. The last time I had my car towed was 5 days ago. Last night my car broke down and I was stuck on the side of the road. I called AARP roadside assistance like I always do and as usual, was sent to someone who spoke like a robot and was so unhelpful. All he told me was my name wasn't on the account, over and over. I screamed at him that I was broke down on the side of the road in the dark and I need a tow truck. All he did was repeatedly tell me my name was not on the account.

I asked for a manager. A replica of the first guy come on and does the same exact thing. After 30 minutes of begging for a tow truck I finally hung up and found other means of getting my car and myself somewhere safe. I will NEVER use or suggest anyone use AARP roadside assistance! I could be murdered in a bad neighborhood while I'm on the phone with a robot representative who doesn't care at ALL about my well being.

Also, the other times I was successful in having my car towed each time took more than 20 minutes on the phone with representatives who clearly did not speak English well and giving the directions/addresses was stressful and difficult. You can add tow truck service to your car insurance for cheaper and much less hassle than this joke of a service!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

This service is included in my auto policy. I WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER USE AGAIN!! You better listen!! I'm warning you!! The customer service, not the actual people who come out to assist, the people on the phone!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

Got off a 4 hour flight at SFO and found my car battery was dead and needed a jump (was at the San Bruno BART station). Still needed to drive 3.5 hours to get home. Call AARP Roadside Assistance at 2:45. Was told it would be about a 1 hour wait but the tow driver would call 15 minutes before he got there. No driver, so I called back at 3:45. At that time, I was told that the driver was stuck in traffic on 101 and would be there in 50 minutes. So I walked to Starbucks so I would be fully caffeinated for the drive home. Called at 4:50 because no one had showed up. Found out the dispatch agent was in New York state (?). They put me through to the local tow company who said the driver was on another call nearby and would be there in 30 minutes. After we hung up, I called AARP back to find out my options should the local company not show up and was told I could find my own tow company and get reimbursed.

When I called at 5:30 because still no driver, I was told that I had cancelled the service??? I insisted that I had not. They insisted that my inquiry into other options was a call to cancel the service. I then called a local service who was extremely helpful. While their driver was not able to make it there for another 1:15. Due to high call volume, the local tow company kept calling me back to keep me updated and apologize. Finally, got on my way at 7:00, over 4 hours after I first called AARP. The kicker is that I received a call at 8:15 from the AARP tow service asking if I still needed assistance. It's just insane that the AARP roadside assistance only has ONE service operator in the San Francisco area. It makes no sense. I'm giving a 3 for coverage. Only because they said they would reimburse me for the independent service I obtained.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

I called AARP road service for a flat tire. They never called back and never showed up. I called twice. I finally gave up and called a road tow service... for over $70 I had to pay out of pocket. Now AARP will not reimburse me. They are a foul company. I'm going to file complaints now with the BBB and attorney general's office. What a bunch of losers at this company. I am a disabled senior and not servicing me could mean life or death if it's very hot or very cold, not to mention stuck on a road in the dark with loonies out there.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2015

45 minutes on the phone and no one available to give service. First call, disconnected. 2nd call, the guy said he couldn't hear me. 3rd call, took 45 minutes only for them to tell me there is no one the area to help. This is the 2nd time I've used the service and neither time did I get help. Absolutely the worst. Do not waste your money!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2015

I am writing this because I paid for all of my kids to be under my plan. Last night my daughter's car died. Turns out she needed a tow. We have the premium plan. She called the Roadside Assistance number and said she needed a tow. The man on the phone (which she also had a very, very difficult time understanding) said he would send her a text to let her know what time the tow truck would arrive. 25 minutes later, after not receiving the text, she called them. They said they were having a hard time finding a towing company. They said she should find her own tow company. She indicated she would appreciate them helping her to find a towing company as well.

We were able to find a company on our own, had to pay out of our pocket for the tow. Now the fun begins to be reimbursed. These people have absolutely no business being in the business. She never received a follow up call to see if she was okay, got a tow, absolutely nothing. I am going to demand a full reimbursement and go back to AAA. I changed because AARP was half price. It's true what they say, you get what you pay for. A very dissatisfied former customer.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2015

We were on a camping trip and needed our Motorhome towed. We finally got someone who told us we needed to upgrade, which we were willing to do. After much time we were told to call back and upgrade another day. Then they couldn't find a aarp tow truck so we had to call our own. We were told we would be reimbursed. Today I called and upgraded and was told we may or may not be reimbursed, depending on the claims department. We also had a very hard time that night understanding our operator, and well as today with the supervisor I demanded to talk to. Can't AARP hire Americans?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2015

Dead car - restaurant parking lot, highly-traveled, well known area in Austin, TX, i.e. not hard to find. I called AARP roadside assistance, and spent over 1/2 hour with a customer service rep who barely spoke, or understood, English, trying to explain who I was, and where I was. It took 5 minutes for him to even get my first name, which is not a difficult one. I waited over TWO HOURS, in 100-degree temperatures, when they said they would be there in 20 to 30 minutes. I called the service provider AARP had dispatched, several times, and was repeatedly told "10 more minutes".

During my long wait, I received a 'robotic' call back from the AARP Roadside program, asking if I had received service.. if no.. press 2 - so I press 2, and get yet another service representative that barely speaks, and does not understand, English, and AGAIN have to go through spelling my name, over and over; my address, etc. etc. even though they had called me. When I finally got through to them that I was STILL waiting for service, all they did was tell me to call back, if no one had arrived in... wait for it... "10 more minutes".

And to top it off - they charged me over 70 dollars on my card for a tow that I did not need. Turned out I only needed a jump start. Of course I did not know that when I originally called, being ignorant about cars (which is my error, not theirs). However, I again had to go through dealing with terrible customer service this morning when I called to try to get reimbursed for the towing charge. Needless to say, I am cancelling this service and I recommend that anyone considering AARP Roadside assistance, look elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

I had a horrible time understanding the dispatcher!!! Horrible and Frustrating. Foreign accent. Very thick. Also, did not put the address down correctly. Very poor communication skills and no concept of abstract thinking other than what was on the script. The actual service was great!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2015

On February on about 5th or 6th the weather was very bad. I called customer service because I had a flat tire. They tried to get a tow company and the customer representative said he could not get anybody. He told me if I get the tire fixed they would reimburse me. Well the bill for my tire was $92.32. I sent in the bill - they sent me a letter saying they could not reimburse me. They told me unauthorized service. After the representative told me I would be reimburse It says in the membership material under Dispatch Guarantee "if unable to provide roadside assistance we will reimburse you up to $260.00." Well this charge was only $92.32. Well I'm not a member with them and never will be.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

Was broke down 21 miles from home. Thank god our mom had AARP to get us towed. Yeah right people were foreign-- call us back in 10-15 min. Called them back half an hr later will an hr -- will call back in 15 min. Never called back. Called them in half an hr ---will take an hr still never called us back!!! Anyway waited 3.5 hrs in hot sun with 79 yr old with heart condition. Tow driver said they keep looking for lower prices and they don't pay any extra after 5.30 so not many companies will use them after 5:30 pm! They don't care and are hard to understand. Save the time and misery and get AAA!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2015

I spent 4 hours the other night waiting for Godot (that would be AARP). I later found out 2 hours were waiting for nothing. The poor English speaker (understood about 30%) had just discarded my call. A third call found a supervisor who decided that something had to be done about it. They could not find me on their map (no cross street or address). The first person just said since they could not locate my car I was out of luck. The second did not do any work to find me. The third referred it to his supervisor, and the fourth decided I was 40 miles from where I really was. I told each one of them what city to call for service and then I could tell them where I was. But that was not good enough, they had to know before they called where I was.

The real kicker was about 10 minutes after I finally was back on my way. I got a robo call asking for my grade of their service (one good thing about them). I replied poorly for all of them, so they referred me to customer service. The gentleman on the line wanted my member number, he could not locate me from my name or the fact they called me not I them. So he wanted me to stop the car (after 4 hours of being stopped) so I could tell him how bad they were. He really wanted to inconvenience me to find how what they did badly. I hung up on him! I will be not renewing. Paragon looks good to me right now.

Original review: July 29, 2015

This service takes too long to respond. I almost froze to death one night waiting for them to fix flat tire. Someone happen to stop by and got me rolling. Called them twice to my home once for flat tire and once boost. The Servicers do not represent the roadside service well. Nothing to identity them like AAA. They just look like someone off the street with dreadlocks and any kind of clothing. Won't be using this service any more - not professional. Will switch back to AAA. They are more professional looking and I feel safer when I see them arrive with identifying vehicles.

Original review: July 25, 2015

My car broke down right near the garage that services my car. I was lucky, for it had to be pushed. Two days later the garage told me they could not repair the car and to take it to a dealer. They said they would tow it. I said fine, I would contact AARP motoring. To make a long story short, I was told I could not have them tow it. I think that is what they said, I had a hard time understanding the person, so I hung up and tried again. Same results, could not understand what they were saying other than I could not have the garage tow it. I hung up in a rage. The next day I called again and asked to speak to some in the USA. They told me all I had to do was for the garage to talk to the person. Well it was too late for that the car was already towed. So they told me I could file a complaint and gave me the address. So I did and the complaint was returned no such address. I am trying to find the correct address and resubmit. I probably going to cancel.

Original review: June 10, 2015

I was previously happy with the service and response AARP until the car I was in broke down in Maine. We live in Massachusetts. I called AARP to arrange for a tow. The representative I spoke with (I think he was in India) told me that he couldn't find anyone and would continue making calls and get back to me. The call never came. After about 40 mins, I called back. They said that they would get back to me, they never did. We ended up calling the police... who in turn called AARP. They were told someone would be there in "100 minutes" (really?). They (AARP) later told the police that it was not going to happen. Nothing they said made any sense. I called to complain and was told the home office would contact me within 14 days... another lie... no one contacted me. The police helped us out that day so all turned out well but NO THANKS to AARP.

Original review: June 6, 2015

Car broke down. So to make things easy, went back to it Saturday morning. Called the service and they couldn't find a tow company. After two hours I found a tow service and paid out of pocket. I used the internet from my phone. It took five minutes.

Original review: May 31, 2015

Stopped my car in a local Pet Veterinarian's office (a free-standing house) on Main Street. Car just seemed to have an electrical short. Nothing working. Contacted AARP/Allstate Roadside Assistance for help and jump start. 1st woman to answer the phone was fine & helpful. Thereafter about 5 or more calls between AARP and myself and these people were barely understandable. One even said the guy was in the parking lot but couldn't find me. I said I am the only person in this parking lot and he is not here. Next call I was asked what shopping center I was at. I said I am not in a shopping center. I told you I was at a house on Main St in the parking area. These people are abominable and foreigners with little knowledge of English. I will say that the guy who finally got to me 2 hours later, which was 1 hour over the estimated time, was helpful and knowledgeable. Guess I finally got lucky there. I am now looking into AAA.

Original review: May 13, 2015

During a 26 minute phone call and given a sales pitch to drive my car to Pep Boys [they forgot why I called... I needed a tow] they could not find anyone to give me a tow. This was in May at 4 pm. I will be giving AARP a call getting my money back. You get what you pay for, going back to AAA. Unbelievable.

AARP Roadside Assistance Company Information

AARP
www.aarp.org
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.