Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Southern Energy Homes Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

We bought a se home a year ago. The kitchen linoleum was cut that want to put quarter round just where the rug is cut. The cracks in the ceiling. They send out a guy that just dabs on the ceiling. A two year old could do a better job. Our breakers keep flipping. I plug a 110 air compressor up. It won't run it. I'm worried it's not wired right and might catch a fire. It's very poorly and cheap built. It's a 5 bedroom 3 bath. If you're cooking and someone's blow drying their hair it throws a breaker. We calling a electric repair company and having it looked at. SE homes is just looking out for their bottom dollar. Once you sign the paperwork it's your problem. Stay far far away from this company.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Beautiful homes but cheaply built. We had a 220 primary wire (dryer wire) that shorted out. Apparently the wire was too short so the manufacturer pieced the wire together and taped it with electrical black tape. It burned the wire into and burned the plywood behind it. Now I'm wondering how many more wires in my home have been done the same way because my power still flickers. Also, how many more homes out there have been done this same way? Because of negligence, this could have been fatal to my family. I urge every home owner from Southern Homes to make sure there are not any pieced together wires in your home!! I bought my home from Clayton Homes in Albertville, Alabama. I purchased in 2017.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

We purchased our home a little over 2 years ago. In the first year of the warranty they sent someone out to fix any immediate problems and they basically rigged anything they could get away with. We had a leak in the roof right after we got into our home, They sent someone out with a TUBE OF TAR!!! Several times, after having a fit they replaced a few shingles, We called the state and that was basically a joke. They were not made to properly fix the roof even then another guy one tube of tar.

Apparently on manufactured homes the state code is not very good. One year later and another leak! We love our home but the roof is done terribly poor and they all know it but can get away with it. Second leak in the roof in a little over two years of purchase and even our insurance adjuster said that about 20% of the roof is done shoddy. Paying on our lovely home and going to have to pay out of pocket to have the roof done as it should have been. It's a crying shame!

Original review: July 16, 2019

I ordered my new home in March. Finally got it June 27, 2019. I am so disappointed in Southern Energy for letting a home go out on a lot looking like my house does. Shower leaking all over. Can't use the jets on the shower due to them going all out on floor. Shower leaking because shower head isn't even attached to wall but by a hook. Manhole under tub for p-trap that is big enough for a person to fit in. Tub leg on front is just dangling over hole not even rested on anything. The ceiling throughout the whole house looks like it has been cracked all over the whole house with big splotches of mud everywhere. The kitchen bars is all leaning. Nothing in the house is level. I would advise against a Southern Energy as their pride in the work they do has gone to nothing. It's embarrassing. My home was bought in Bossier City, LA.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I did not have a computer for a lot of years, so never thought about giving a review on this company before now. We have had this home since 1992, and it is definitely a MONEY PIT. In the beginning first year with the home warranty and the builders warranty, I cannot even remember the number of times we had someone come out and attempt to fix the multitude of issues we were having.

The worst was the plumbing put into here that the company that made it went bankrupt years ago. We have burst every single pipe in this house and it still is happening to this day. This company is so bad that when we replaced one of the bedrooms carpeting due to a burst pipe on a wall that the bedroom butted up to, someone had painted their name and all sorts of sayings all over the plywood. Nothing is level or even in this entire house. What prompted me to write something today was that we are replacing the exhaust fan in one of the bathrooms, and once we managed to pull the assembly out of the ceiling, chunks of wood and even some roofing tiles fell onto the floor. I do not even really think it was vented to the outside.

Our kitchen cabinets have been falling apart, there are huge gaps in the sections of dry wall, the counter tops separated in sections, huge mirrors in the bathroom fell off the wall due to only basically held there with the trim they put around to make a frame and pieces of 2 sided sticky tape. We have replaced storm doors so many times because they were not framed correctly, so we can never get them to fit the way they should, door sills that were bent or broken.

How these homes ever passed any kind of inspection should speak volumes to someone. I will find every single place on the internet where I can warn people about buying this company's homes. They might look ok in the beginning, then all the bad stuff is going to start. The best thing that could have happened to us would have been an electrical fire due to their lack of care, and we could have moved onto something built where they actually care about their products. My list about Southern Energy Homes and their horrible materials and construction could go on and on. But, I am ending this here, just buyers beware! I would give them 0 starts if it would let me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southern Energy Homes?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I bought my home in Aug. 2009. Aside from other things I had wrong with it through the years, my most recent is my back French door that the bottom is all rusted out. Southern Homes do not make this size door anymore so I have one of two choices. Cut a bigger hole in my wall and install a whole new SET (meaning the stationary door and the one that opens) or continue to watch it rust out. Be careful, after a few years, they change their structures and sizes and people who have bought in the past are now screwed! Don't buy from these people!

Original review: July 5, 2018

I bought a home from SE Homes and what a mistake. The house is two days old. Water pouring in 4 places. Floor has huge cuts, floor is popping up, siding is melted, I can go on and on. These houses I see now are built with the cheapest of materials you can find. I am shocked it is even allowed by HUD to build such crap houses... I would tell anybody not to buy this junk. You're throwing your money away. The owners should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Nightmare first home purchase. Bought my SE home 2016 from investment housing in Texarkana. I have had problems from the floor, construction of the house. Cabinets falling, floor popping, doors that will not stay open due to bad measurements, ac issues. I have been waiting now for over a year just to get a replacement shower door. I requested another home still in it and warranty ended with still the same issues. Now I believe I have a leak in the roof.

Original review: March 8, 2018

We have a 1999 28x 76 which is has never been moved since original delivery. Roof shingles are ready for replacement. Well come to find out the all of the plywood on the eaves has been leaking for quite some time. Mold and serious rot has taken over. Very strange because there are no stains on the ceilings. We are looking at a bill of 10,000 to repair the damage not including roof covering replacement. This is not fair. I will not stop here. Look for pictures on Facebook and a detailed video on YouTube showing what this manufacture is building.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I bought my Southern Energy Home after a fire, and I can say I will never recommend this brand or the business that I bought it from to anyone - EVER. When you pay the kind of money that you pay for these manufactured home you expect some quality. Well you certainly don't get it from Southern Energy Homes. I have been living in this home since August of 2014 and I don't even know where to start so I guess I'll start with the front door.

The front door had a gap all the way around it so that you could see daylight and the storm door wouldn't lock, they were going to replace the whole door and frame so they send someone out and they didn't send a new door??? They reset the door in the frame and said they would bring a new one next time they came out. The door apparently had a contact paper coating on it that has now exploded and is peeling down to the bare metal, what kind of quality is that? That just happened this November 2017. But the door was never replaced.

The walls were gaping and you could see into the next room, they moved the strips over and when I complained they said that was normal. It was something they usually had to do. No big deal. The next thing was I had a leak in my utility room over my AC/Heater unit, did not catch it until one day it was raining really hard and I was home and I heard it dripping, anyway southern homes had left a hole in roof where a vent would have went if I had a gas heater but since I had all electric they just covered it with tar paper and shingles. This is quality work???

I told them I had concerns about future problems in this area and they sorry. That is all they can do. It is no big deal, it happens sometimes. The lady I talked to for all my repairs was very rude and insulting. I am still having problems in the area and around the bathroom vent which is leaking that is right there too. I have many other problems I could complain about but I will leave it at this, I think that they deliberately forget to bring supplies or not enough supplies so they can get out of fixing all the problems. There really needs to be a class action suit against this business, they are ripping the hard working American people off and they should be ashamed.

Southern Energy Homes Company Information