2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Ryan Homes Reviews

Original review: May 2, 2020

With Ryan Homes, I was hesitant to buy because I had read reviews and was not impressed with the horror stories. I ultimately gave in and listened to the sales people, and the project managers and decided not to back out of my contract. So far, two weeks in, I am finding more and more issues with the place. First, I would visit the site every week as they were building. First strike was when I noticed the curb cutout did not extend far enough, and it would obstruct where the ramp to the garage would be. The PM explained it was an error on the part of the county. Of course.

Next, at the pre-drywall meeting, the electrical wasn’t even in yet. Typically, both plumbing and electrical needs to be in at the pre-drywall meeting. Less than 2 weeks before settlement, I get a buddy who is a home inspector to do a preliminary walkthrough, and much to my dismay, a laundry list of items was noticed with the place. I seriously contemplated backing out of the contract, but was told I would lose my deposit and the builder could potentially go after me for damages. Later, I found that some people had backed out, free if penalty, because of the Coronavirus and people losing jobs.

The PM had most of the issues addressed, but some cosmetic stuff still remained. I got another home inspection, done by a company, and a list of issues were pointed out. Settlement came, and the issues still lingered. A few items were attempted to be rectified post settlement with a punch out contractor, but that was shoddy. The PM then said it would be taken care of as part of the 30 day service, instead of the one year warranty, but then later said I’d have to go through the warranty department. But with the pandemic, they said the service repairs would not be taking place.

I paid an extra $5K for oak stairs, and the craftsmanship is horrible. There were deep scratches throughout, and a few were pointed out. But the punch out contractor ended up making it look worse and not matching the stain. Some pieces are not flush either, and poses danger to my baby. Walls have random areas with no paint or have dents and scrapes. I put painter’s tape to do some edge work, and pulling it off ripped some of the paint off! I told the PM that the paint in the bathrooms should be glossy, but he said he never heard of that. I paid extra for quartz countertops, yet they were cut unevenly. The luxury vinyl plank has areas that are sticking out and are sharp. Ryan Homes is a big company and they do high volume new construction. They are more focused on getting in and out quickly, rather than concentrate on quality work. Think twice about going with Ryan Homes to build your place.

Original review: April 18, 2020

Horrible service. Purchased a home that is not even 5 years old. Had roof issues last year and this year. Parts of the roof were not even completed! They only cover the roof for a year! I had water coming in through my kitchen light fixtures. Sent in invoice and pictures on the roof. They advised nothing they can do since out of warranty even though the roof was not done properly and advised I should have waited for them to review the claim before completing the work. Needless to say it took them over a week to respond and I had to send a follow up prior. Why would I wait when water is coming in my light fixtures. Overall a horrible company. Every time call someone for service I only get negative reviews when I tell them a Ryan Home.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2020

Mistakes during sale

I bought a home with Ryan Homes in December 2019 and they made two mistakes that were informed latter during the home construction. The first one was offering me 4 cable spots with no cost then reaching me out to say I had only 3. Fortunately, they realized their mistake and gave me the 4th one with no additional cost. The worst mistake was selling me an expensive frameless shower door that were not possible to be delivered with the fiberglass option I chose to the master bathroom. They offered me to replace it with a top frame glass door with about the same price as the frameless door. I was only able to see it installed during the walk-through visit when I had a huge disappointment. Because it seems very similar to the standard one offered with no additional cost at all… I didn’t want to go to the closing meeting before this issue was solved but unfortunately Ryan Home’s contract doesn’t allow to postpone the closing date if the home has all the living permits approved which was the case. What happens after closing is that Ryan Homes seem to not care about it and they don’t want to reimburse me for their lack of professionalism handling their own mistakes.

Original review: April 1, 2020

It started with a sales agent who is only interested in a sale, not you. She was overheard misquoting information to prospective buyers (quoting base price and telling the prospective buyer everything they saw was included which included many high dollar upgrades). She also made oral commitments for changes which she failed to communicate to the builders. Later these changes would not be accommodated or the changes they would were very costly! Most associates our family dealt with were so rude throughout the whole building process. My parents are aged and one disabled and I am sickened how poorly they have been treated. Modification commitments were not met. They now want to sign with open items. Read the other unhappy reviews; it most likely these open modifications will not get done. There will never be a Ryan home in my future. Please read other reviews first. Be careful, Ryan Homes does not care about you.

Original review: March 9, 2020

They are setting off dynamite in the field next to us. They should’ve blasted before residents started moving into the homes. We moved into our home December 2019. I feel like when we explained what we were looking for in a home NO ONE LISTENED. We live in a rancher on a corner lot. We have a house that is being built behind us that is towering over our home (our backyard). We feel like we are living behind a store. NO privacy in our backyard.

We had A LOT of things that needed to be taken care of in this home AFTER we moved in. The doorknobs were missing screws. Floor in hallway creaked, counter top in kitchen was uneven.... Cabinet door in kitchen needed to be replaced. Insulation in attic wasn’t enough- they needed to put more insulation in attic. PLEASE get Radon test, ours was VERY high. There are other things wrong - list goes on. I would advise NOT to buy a Ryan home. These could be nice homes but they just chose to make money over quality- the budge seems to be the most important thing to Ryan Homes. It’s sad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryan Homes?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I recently signed a contract with William Ryan, Approx. 1 month into the contract after watching other homes in the neighborhood being built and observing that the quality of the workmanship was very bad I decided to not move forward. Some of the things that I observed included The measurements of the window framings in the entire house were wavy and off from top to bottom anywhere from 1/4 inch to over an inch. Imagine what they will look like when blinds are put in???? In The kitchen of the Sweetwater model there was an unnatural curve in the roof line which appeared to be different in each home. On the exterior of the homes there was left over caulking that was simply painted over. William Ryan Homes refused to return my deposit. They had not even cleared the lot when I cancelled.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

This rancher is the worst home I have ever seen built by a builder. I have been in this home approx. 2 months and we have had several items of so called craftsmanship arise. Door knobs falling off, cabinets installed with bad cracks and falling apart. You can hear through the walls the water running and walking all around the home as well as the neighbors kids screaming everywhere ,,, oh and this train that we were told that runs 2% of the time is actually closer to 60% of the time right behind Coville street.

They are also setting off dynamite blast on the northern side of the community with half the community built. Extremely dangerous, loud and it shakes my home furiously. If I had known all of these things before we bought this way overpriced home considering I would have never bought this home. I know you may seem to think this is just another bad review but I spent time here writing this and warned everyone not to purchase a Ryan home here in Middletown VA. 2/27/20

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Where to begin. I built a Ryan’s Home in Smithfield VA, in the Benn's Grant neighborhood. We had our final walk through and a week later we closed on 1/23/20. After closing, nothing was done that was on the final walk through or inspection list. I have been in the house for over a month and I’m still trying to get things fixed. There was a nail hole in the floor, front door leaked when it rained, stain on the Sheetrock in the master bath, back door didn’t lock, nail holes all along the island, the landing wood was messed up and uneven, ran the cable to the outside in the wrong spot, poor quality cabinets, outside trim looked half painted and the pillars on the front porch were all marked up.

The list goes on from there. Horrible paint job on both inside and out. Not to mention the day after we moved in, a GFI in the garage popped and the garage wouldn’t open which led to a $275 locksmith bill at 12am and they told me it wasn’t their fault and wouldn’t reimburse me. I’m still trying to get a lot of these issues resolved. They charge custom build prices but give you very limited options to choose from. I had no lights in any of the bedrooms when we moved in. I had to install all the fans and everything myself. They overcharge for everything and use low quality items. Do NOT buy or build a Ryan’s home.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

DO NOT BUY OR BUILD A RYAN HOME. Built home in 2013. I closed on loan, then met the General Contractor for walk thru. Immediately he told me about my neighbor, who is crazy. She was hateful to them during the construction. They did not bother telling me this prior to closing. Thanks so much, Ryan Homes. It got worse. The wood floor in kitchen began to squeak loudly and sink. The floor was not nailed, it was glued.

I just had a contractor come in Feb 2020 to fix the upstairs floor and the kitchen floor. He had to nail the floors down. The same spot that they supposedly repaired in 2013 I had to have contractor nail down again. Along with other areas in the kitchen. Contractor checked the floor joist in basement. The joist are supposed to be 16" apart. He showed me, the floor joist are 16.5", 16.25", 16.8" and so on. They put glue on top of joist and attached to basement ceiling. The glue had gaps in it so the subfloor is not attached irregularly.

The upstairs carpeted, there is a board that you can see it pops up thru the carpet. It squeaks horribly. Right next to bed. The hallway upstairs the drywall and paint crumbles off. I had it repaired 3 times, paint and drywall crumbled also in main bathroom. Several nail pops in ceilings and hallway walls. I had that repaired 3 times. They just pop back. Contractor said the hallway wall is not attached to floor. When you walk in the hallway you hear huge cracks and pops. In the bedroom too. Contractor put numerous nails in the flooring around it, but still pops and cracks. The hallway wall sounds hollow when you hit it with your foot. Compared to the other wall, it sounds a deeper sound. All this is caused by a Truss Uplift.

Truss is the frame that holds the roof on. Due to weather, usually winter, it expands and contracts. The truss lifts up and pulls on the inside walls. Ryan Homes attached the Truss into the walls, not the ceiling. There is another way contractors attaches the truss, not sure what it is. So, Ryan Homes says the truss is under warranty, but not a truss uplift. I am now going to contact Ryan Homes and begin the fight. Walls and flooring are a part of the structure, which has a 10 year warranty. I have the Management's contact information on my email (saved) so I am going to rattle his chains. This time I am going to let him have it. There is so much more, but I don't have the strength t to list it all. Do not ever buy or build a ryan homes. Shoddy work, cheap materials untrained & corrupt employees, disgusting policies. A con.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Purchased a Ryan Homes late spring 2018. Purchasing the home was a pleasant experience however in retrospect, the sales people were taught well and made everything sound too good, which it was. The first warning of what was to come happened the day of settlement, November 2018, during the walk-through when we discovered that the wrong granite had been installed in the kitchen, which the project manager nor sub-contractor caught on the "blueprints", and in spite of several quality control inspections.

Overall the quality of materials and workmanship is deemed poor, at best; sub-contractors for the most part incompetent and seemed only concerned with meeting set timetables. The past year has been nothing but a nightmare with a huge punch list that still has one outstanding issue to be addressed spring 2020. Below are the most major issues. Note that there are several others not being commented on due to space.

*Engineered hardwood floors on main floor - significant separation of floor boards above beams in three locations. Was told this seems to be a design problem in our model home. Took seven months to determine "best way to address the problem" which ended up being to take up several boards around each area and re-position/glue new boards with a little different spacing.

*Family room ceiling replaced due to sub-standard installation.

*Hallway carpet had to be replaced due to fraying however since it could not be properly matched up to the adjoining bedrooms, it was determined that engineered hardwood should replace that carpet.

*Shower leaked in the first three months with water coming down into the kitchen bubbling the kitchen ceiling in the affected area. Problem was identified to be a bad seal in the drain.

*Screw pops on every wall in many areas; elevation changes in drywall, and tape visible at most ceiling and wall joints. Many but not all these items fixed as per the one time allowance.

*Poor painting of ceilings and walls; improperly finish. Warranty supervisor called it "Orange Peeling"; prior, project manager stated nothing was wrong. Meager attempts were made to address.

*Caulk sloppy and cracking around windows and doors. Windows that only open bottom up 1/2 way and doors are not tightly sealed. All leak air.

*GE double oven stopped working in the first year. Manufacturer representative fixed a bad blower.

*Water leaking on the inside main floor front window sill. Caulked exterior stone.

*Rear yard poorly seeded, with little grass taking. Rear yard flooding due to poor grading of property. Homeowner spent thousands of dollars to lay turf and attempt to address flooding issue as Ryan Homes indicated it was not there problem and property had a swail (much larger than on prints and not part of the discussion at sale). Project Manager stated once the other homeowner's grass came in the water issue would not be a problem, but it is.

*Meager landscaping with 4 cheap scrubs, 2 of which died the first winter. Front lawn turf put down by the Developer was adequate.

The list could continue but... The project manager ended up not being very helpful and sadly was not always very honest. The warranty supervisor did address issues, but would contradict things, blame matters on miscommunication or misunderstanding and in this writer's opinion ended up being arrogant and condescending when pushed. Female household member felt she was "talked down to". Communication once a work order was placed was poor. One was given a date sometimes the day before arrival and arrival time was rarely correct. Estimated that homeowner had people in the home 60-70 times from approximately January through November 2019. Two of the people entering the home to do repair work were upfront and seemed to know what they were doing to correct certain items. Enjoyment of this home will be extremely difficult due to the horrible experience. Will never recommend a Ryan Homes to anyone.

Ryan Homes Company Information