1.4/5 (32 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Ryan Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Ryan Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryan Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryan Homes?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

I am writing to provide a complaint of a poorly constructed home by Ryan Homes, NVR Inc. resulting in improper and negligent roofing installation causing loose and missing shingles. My family purchased a new construction home from Ryan Homes/NVR in December 2016. Since then, we have experience substantial construction nightmares from poorly installed cabinets to electrical and plumbing issues to the most recent issue loose and/or missing shingles from our roof. On August 15, 2002, I contacted my home warranty to request their assistance with water coming from the ceiling of one of my bedrooms during a storm. When my home was inspected by my insurance company, they identified various loose and missing shingles from the roof due to poor installation during the home construction.

Furthermore, they confirmed that a six-year-old home should not have loose or missing shingles unless there was a natural disaster of 100 miles per hour winds which we have not experienced in Maryland during the six years my family has lived in our home. After conducting research, my situation is not unique. In fact, according to the Maryland Office of the Attorney General, “Ryan Homes had the highest number of homebuilder complaints of any single builder in the three years since 2016.” My home construction was at the time of this identified findings report and clearly supports Ryan Homes' negligence in building safe and quality built homes. The poorly constructed home has caused financial hardship and stress for my family who recently located from Baltimore County to Carroll County. We are mortified and stressed that a home that cost well over $500,000 has experienced this level of construction nightmares over the last six years.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Over Priced. They do not have any recreation. Like the pool, Tennis court, Kids Play Area etc. But they are priced around 400 For mid size town home -with nothing in it. Anything that we ask for is additional. Cheap quality for the base model of the house.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

LEAKING PIPES in less than 2 months! There are FOUR (4) MAJOR cracks on the wall above my fireplace as well. Ryan Homes provides only one maintenance repair free of charge. Now I am forced to request the repair and risks any future repairs being paid out of pocket. The only alternative is to have mold in my ceiling from the leaking pipe and that is not an option.

I have only been in my new home just over 60 days. There are so many issues with this new construction, which defeats the purpose of building a new construction. I have cried so many times. The project manager should have been more meticulous in lieu of meeting an assembly deadline. THIS ENTIRE PROCESS WAS A NIGHTMARE. Ryan Homes refused to work with me as a current military reservist attempting to reschedule the construction date as I was anticipating my active duty military orders. If you want your dream home, please choose another builder. Please read all reviews. I took a chance and sadly I regret it every day.

Original review: July 20, 2022

Would Love to talk to the owner and tell them what a cheaply built home they build. They don’t even finish the garage, put drywall up and fire tape, that’s it! My dishwasher is broke and I have to call GE. They won’t even come check it, I just moved in 2 days ago and what a mistake I made, I have found so many things wrong I’m ready to call an attorney. The door stoppers are just screws with no rubber tips so scratches on the doors. One phone outlet in whole house. Landscaping is supposed to be included, so far all I have are weeds growing in my yard and they are about 6 inches tall. All I can say is it was the worst mistake I’ve ever made buying a home. They take no pride in their building a home!!! Be aware before you buy from them!!

Original review: July 17, 2022

We had a home built in Mitchell Ranch South. We’ve been experiencing plumbing issues for the full year that we’ve been in the home. We’ve spent thousands of our own dollars to snake or plumbing because it backs up every month or so. Only to be told that nothing is wrong. Trying to get in touch with the warranty company is almost impossible. It almost seems like they’re waiting us out until the year is over and we don’t have warranty left. We hired our own plumber who took a video and showed where the blockage was. Again only to be told that that wasn’t the problem. We’ve tried contacting the project manager to no avail. We’ve also tried to call the warranty manager several times and he never responds to us. We have numerous text messages back-and-forth about the problem again to no avail. So here we sit again waiting for the plumber to come to try to fix the problem again.

Before we moved in the house we had flooding in front of the house, and all they did was fill it with dirt and said the problem was fixed. We have also found out that other homes in the development have had the same problem. One home had sewage flooding the house. We have sewage coming out of the shower drain and the sink in the master bedroom now or master bedroom and bathroom smell like sewage. You would think when you buy a new home you wouldn’t have these problems and if you do that a reputable company would correct the problem instead of ignoring the people they took the money from. It’s also funny that we were the last house to be finished and it really seemed like they wanted to get out and not come back.

Original review: June 26, 2022

We requested several finishes be redone as per our 1 year warranty. The caulk throughout the whole townhouse was cracked. The women sent to do this work made it look worse now than before. The quality of paint they use is also terrible. It’s like chalk and cannot be washed. We also submit a request for our driveway to be fixed as it is cracked in several spots but as of this review nobody has come to address it.

Original review: June 21, 2022

We live across the street from where Ryan homes are building. Be in mind our home was built by a different company and we love our home and the contractors for the other homes on our street were kind, courtesy and respectful of your property as they were building. Ryan Homes on the other hand is just ridiculous, they have placed ruts in our yard, their contractors leave garbage everywhere. We have had bloody paper towels in our yard and so have our neighbors across the street. The contractors will shake blankets, clothing etc with dust and debris from the work site on our yard, while standing in our yard. They also don't have a problem blocking your driveway when there is open space beside the houses being built to park.

When asking them to move it's like it's an inconvenience to them. All in all not a good experience being a neighbor to where Ryan Homes are being built. Also watching the process of them building the homes worries me as well, they seem to go up quick and from reading other reviews of people who purchased from Ryan homes they have had problems.

Original review: June 20, 2022

One of the worst experience I ever had with building a new house. Their bank gets you when they offer that 7k towards the closing. They will keep you hanging till the week of closing and raise closing costs and down or payment. Plus lots of the stuff we asked for to be added they out of it and ask you to choose different floor or cabinets Or different carpet colours. Stay away From Ryan Homes period.

Original review: June 18, 2022

I was referred by a friend to Ryan Homes. In the last 7 months I have had nothing but issues with my home. New roof, redone screened in porch, siding on both sides of the house. Structure issues! Poor workmanship. I feel like they just threw it together!

Original review: June 14, 2022

I purchased a new construction home with Ryan Homes almost a year ago. My home is decently built and structured with the expected drywall pops and cracks, nothing major. The only issue I have had is the yard grading, which is awful and almost pushing me to move it is so bad. We live in an area that the ground is not permeable soil, it is clay. My house was the last one built in the 2nd phase and the yard grading was done incorrectly so my back yard is a bowl where everyone else's is mounded and the water runs off and away.

All my neighbor's water runs right into mine and has nowhere to go. I've been fighting with them for a year, they basically come out and do very little to change it and the issue persists. They want to wait till it rains, come out 48 hours later and if there's no standing water then it's not a problem. The issue is, my yard floods and a literal river runs through it and I cannot grow grass. Every contractor I've had out says it needs to be mounded just like the other yards, but Ryan Homes does not understand the issue. Some of what they did helped, but the issue is not corrected. I would not purchase another home from Ryan Homes.

Ryan Homes Company Information