1.35/5

Find a recommended home builder & developer now

179 Ryan Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Great Location & layouts But that's where it all ends!! Didn't even ever guessed in my dreams that a nationally presented builder can build such a below quality homes!! Not only they are build in Bad Quality but are even higher than the normal market price. We bought our home in March 2018 for almost 700k & from the very 1st day it has been only & only a horribly bad experiences!! The way Ryan Homes deal with it is as if they did us a favor by building the house for us which they charged us almost $700k. We have been told that they really can't do much as the house looks fine & was delivered as per their designs.

The issues are with Rattling Windows, Squeaking Floors, Improper Doors installations, Very Thin Walls (we can hear everything while sitting in the family room or any other room for the matter of fact what the kids/family is talking/walking in their rooms on the 2nd level or vise-versa). The paint job is so pathetic that it’s flashing everywhere in the house. The Hardwood Floor stays uneven & very noisy. The design flaws are just overlooked by saying that it looks nice esthetically!!

The prefabricated kitchen/bathroom cabinets doors stay chipping color. Every woodwork has rough edges & improper finishing. Wooden beading in Kitchen fell twice & once it fell on my wife's head while she was cooking!! The service calls take more than 20 days to be attended & even when they come to fix it, they take at least 3-4 times to fix the issues completely.

Don’t buy with Ryan Homes at Bentley Park at all!! SAVE YOUR MONEY & TIME, look elsewhere!! I was warned by a friend of mine who had bought a house from Ryan Homes in Virginia and he too faced similar issues, which got so bad that he ended up selling it. I wish I would have heard him & not bought this Horribly build crap for almost $700k.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Moved in home Dec. 2017. Project Manager was very communicative in regards to home needs. It seems after he "assisted" me in filling out the survey, he is does not follow through, just ignores texts (left unread) or responds to appease with no action. One of the issues is the landscaping that was done in June (during high winds). Rockhounding was less to be desired at the least and seed and hay did not take in most areas due the wind that we had at this time. I along with 2 other neighbors have complained to no avail, not to mention the weeds...UGH.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Ryan Homes only cares about you before your closing date. I settled on my home in May. It’s been one thing after another since then. The siding color is not what I was told it would be (it was supposed to match the model home, but the model home didn’t have the correct color that was listed on the plans). They admitted to the error as being their fault, and drag their feet dealing with the issue. My pre-settlement walkthrough was the morning of closing because I was moving from out of town. I should have canceled closing when I noticed the error, but I was desperate. Settlement had already been pushed back once because of the electric company not being finished with their installs. This meant I had to re-lock into my mortgage rate with NVR, which of course was higher because my 90 day lock expired. I figured in the grand scheme of things, none of it was a biggie. Then I started having plumbing problems.

After 6 visits in 6 weeks (and staying home from work), they finally figured out I had a pipe under my kitchen floor that was cracked. So, another day home from work for them to jackhammer my floor up. The person doing the concrete repairs mixed the concrete in the house. There were no barriers put up beforehand as I was told there would be. I had dust throughout my house and all over my new furniture. They patched the vinyl floor because after weeks of pleading with them to offer a credit of some sort for the siding error they finally agreed to a partial flooring upgrade. It’s been going on a month since the flooring was supposedly ordered. They were supposed to call me two weeks ago to set up installation. I can’t get anyone to respond to my emails or request for calls. I expressed my concerns and had zero response. Crickets.

Additionally, I have tried to reach someone from the acting HOA and have had no such luck. The neighborhood looks like crap. The weeds are out of control, the trash enclosure is disgusting (I wouldn’t be surprised if we ended up with rats), you are supposed to get approval for a patio but only the good Lord knows where it gets submitted. They don’t care. I will probably never get my flooring upgrade and I’ll be stuck with the crappy patch job of the cheap vinyl flooring.

The drywall and painting looks like an amateur did it. I’ve already had them out once to fix the multiple places I had already noticed. They gave us about a 12 x 12 step out of our back door...geez, thanks. I told them it looks like scratches were on my countertop and they just disagreed with me. I had a sinkhole at my front walkway that my niece stepped into. It took them multiple reminders to fix it. My neighbor now has one too. It’s quite scary. If this is how it is 3 months in, how will it be a year from now??? Chalk this one up to lesson learned!!! They do not care. Period.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Our two slide glass doors leak water into our home every time it rains. We are not able to control the moisture because they were installed improperly. Mold is starting to grow, our windows and furniture are always wet and Ryan claims not to be at fault. I've reported this multiple times and was told it was due to the weather not the doors.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Just 2 months past my 1 year mark. Hot water heater out. Was informed my warranty is over and 3 days later my HVAC system is out. This is so bad for a home only a year old. Just say no to Ryan Homes!! Stay away!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryan Homes?

Original review: July 23, 2018

Ryan builders damage my sprinkler system while building their new home next to my. And after informed them about it. They told me that they will replace it within a few days. But it has been over two weeks and nothing been done. Meanwhile my water bill is three times then normal no one from Ryan returning my calls. Ignorant and irresponsible RYAN HOMES. If they are acting that way towards neighbors, just imagine how their homes are build. STAY AWAY FROM RYAN HOMES.

Original review: July 11, 2018

August 2016 we thought we were building a beautiful home. Ever since we closed we have had one problem after another. It started with the lights on the garage falling off, then the garage door not working. Then major things started happening. Our driveway sunk, sink in basement wouldn’t drain (cement was in the pipe), cap was left off sewer so we had a sewer flood, promised to fill in sinking backyard - never happened, trim not even nailed on, etc. It has now been almost 2 years and we now have a crack on our basement wall and water is seeping in and our water heater doesn’t work AND Ryan Homes will not fix because they only have a one year warranty. I would never buy a Ryan Home again!

Original review: June 13, 2018

We decided to build a home with Ryan Homes in North Huntingdon, PA in the Fall 2017. The first meeting they get you all excited and tell you how customized they are and how they are all about customer service and great products. LIES. Once we signed our contract and picked out our lot, it was downhill from there. The salesperson Ashley says it's "customizable" but it isn't. We wanted a specific color for our home and we have 3 "color schemes" to pick from. She has told us in our first meeting there's 30+ color schemes but we had 3. We were told our shower upgrade was going to cost 3,000 or whatever it was. They forget to tell you that price isn't going to get you what they showed you at the beginning. We had to spend thousands more to get to what we thought the upgrade was. Awful. Then the flooring was a whole other thing. You will be spending a pretty penny if you don't want 1970 vinyl flooring.

Basically everything Ashley said in the first meeting was crap. Then the house starts to be build and you really see how poor quality everything is. We found issues the day we moved in. The paint on the walls is more of a primer so your walls will mark and scuff the second you touch them. Have fun trying to get a yard, it's been months and we still haven't had topsoil and grass seed to be put in. It is a poorly run building process and a terrible sales staff with crap finished products. Our neighbor's roof was leaking so bad it caved in... Building a brand new home should mean no home issues but we have no yard, cracked sidewalks, a crap looking driveway, a broken dishwasher, and no one has done anything about it. Go to a different home builder. They push this survey and tell you to give them a great score on everything while you have a broken dishwasher that still needs fixed. I promise you will regret Ryan Homes.

Original review: May 18, 2018

When we purchased our home we decided to pay the extra cost (was not cheap) to have our backyard sodded. Several of the people in our neighborhood had advised us against this, they said Ryan Homes used low grade, cheap sod. Unfortunately we went ahead and did it anyway. We closed and moved in January. The sod was of course dormant. With the coming of Spring it was still "dormant". Dead is more like it. The only thing growing out of the dead sod was an abundance of crabgrass and weeds.

We contacted Brandon of Ryan Homes and after 3 attempts to get a return call he finally came out. His answer, "sod does not have a warranty". Ok I get that but the sod is dead, it was never alive. We paid a considerable amount for dead sod. That is very shady business. I would understand it if the sod had turned green and we neglected it but it never rooted, never turned green... just dead. So now we have to pay all over again to get quality sod. I wish had listened to the people who told me that Ryan Homes uses cheap, inferior materials. Such a disappointment.

As someone else said in a previous review. They are wonderful when you are building but as soon as you sign the papers, move in and start discovering the many issues, they are done with you. They do not stand behind their work. Also, don’t get the hardwood floors, we are having major issues there as well and since those are under warranty we are attempting to resolve that. 3 months so far on floors and again nothing has been done. My advice would be to use a more professional builder that stands behind their name and work. Very disappointed in Ryan Homes.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My house has recently experienced a major issue with the footer drain around the foundation; after just 11 years living in it. My sump pump had to be replaced and extensive excavation has been carried out to discover the cause. Well, come to find out that the footer drain pipes were not installed correctly during construction (verified by a professional, licensed plumbing Co.) and that the sump pump discharge pipe was laid pitching IN towards the foundation wall, at a pitch DOWNWARD! There was also NO BACKFILL of gravel laid around the drain pipes?! So I'm currently trying to resolve this problem; while my yard has been destroyed by a Bobcat digger (new landscaping will be needed! ); and when Ryan Homes were called their attitude is (of course) "stuff happens", and "oh well".

Their attitude is appalling to say the least. Corporate puppet on the phone was practically taunting us into doing something legally. He stated "do what you have to do". Goodness knows what other issues will surface in the coming years? Who knows but it will re-occur in another area of the foundation! The entire property was never graded correctly; and I have no idea how Painesville City "inspectors" (that's a joke) ever signed off on this shoddy work (property tax greed I'll bet). I'm quite sure I won't be the only house with these same issues in the Liberty Greens community; as all the other homes were probably built just as badly. What can one expect I guess from a system that slaps up a home in 3 months? We were pure novices when we bought this home in 2006; and if we could go back we'd run for the hills away from Ryan Homes!

You people with positive reviews can say whatever you like. You're the lucky ones. Your contractors probably gave a crap about their work. Ours DIDN'T; and we're paying the price for that 11 years later before our basement floods! We're not going to just lie down and let this go. Plenty construction defect lawyers out there will take this case. STAY AWAY FROM RYAN HOMES!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! Read the negative reviews and believe them! Their customer service stinks!! Enough said.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I built my home in 2010. I love my home but in this time I have had to get my AC unit filled in 2012 & 2018. I had a foundation crack in 2011 that was fixed and now I have another crack and water is coming in. I called about 3 days ago and no one has contacted me. At this point it is raining and water is coming in. I want to know how many other foundation issues there are out there and how Ryan Homes is responding. First, the few telephone numbers I had did not work. Crazy but I am not happy with this issue right now. Has Ryan Homes been sued by anyone on this? I guess I should do some more research. I just want my home fixed.

Original review: May 16, 2018

If I could rate Ryan homes -0 I would. When I went to look at the model Matisse condo it was sold like a dream house. I specifically asked about the sound barrier between the two condos and I was told word for word “I haven’t encountered any complaints but here’s what the sound barrier looks like.” He pulled out sample of the sound barrier made of cement and sound barrier coating front and back of the cement. He talked about the construction of the home and it’s not built like most. I expressed again my concern with floor noise because this type of “floor walking noise” really bothered me.

The Ryan Rep assured me that there wasn’t going to be a problem. Once I moved in the repair items started adding up. One of those concerns was the noise between the floors of the piggyback condo. The PM told me that I was hearing the noise because the neighbor didn’t have any furniture for the noise to bounce off. That should have been my red flag right there. Also, I’ve complained countless times about the AC not cooling upstairs. My bill in April was $209.00. They couldn’t find anything wrong and told me to close the vents on lower level to push air upstairs.

I complained again and when a tech checked it yesterday it was 2.3 low on Freon. Why couldn’t this have been tested and diagnosed the last few times the HVAC came out? I feel that Ryan home told me anything to sell this condo and get the row of condos on a build schedule. Deceitful on their end and I’m not sure how they get away with it. I would advise anyone against from buying a Ryan home. A sale is just a sale to them and then they move on looking for their next victim. All $$$$ to them and making their fat bonus check. No care or worry for the consumer. This was my first home buying experience and I’m truly disappointed. It’s suppose to be a great experience and that it was not!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Our new home was supposed to be finished by Nov 11, 2017. Was not finished until 12-22-2017. The delay was not weather related, all the loan paperwork was done and everything was approved by 08-10-2017. We were told 90 days or less they were close but no cigar. We get moved 12-23-2017 and then the fun started. Just a little thing like garbage disposal quit working, no screen door on the sliding patio doors (was told, "We do not install them because they are junk, we throw them in dumpster"). We had a warm spell in Feb and then it turned cold and snowed again and I am cleaning off the front porch stoop and there is sand on the stoop. Come to find out the concrete froze after being poured and now the stoop is thawing and falling apart.

We have about a dozen shingles gone off the back side of the roof. We have had about 6 weeks of warm weather now and we are still waiting on final grade to be done to the yard and sod put down. We have downspouts laid across the sidewalks that still need to be buried, stair rails were loose and wobbly (I repaired because I did not want somebody getting hurt). All the exterior trim needs to be painted. We have turned in all the required paperwork about everything that needs repaired and the only thing done is the disposal now works. This is not our first new build but it will be our last one from Ryan Homes. The service department sucks and the corporate office starts dodging your phone calls. This place is nothing more than a high dollar piece of junk.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I give ZERO star on Ryan Homes and NVR Inc. I closed the home a 3 weeks ago. The whole closing process was a joke. So, please stay away from this company. Please be advised that: NVR Mortgage will give you a lower rate and a sign on bonus to make you sign with them. After you have signed with them, three weeks prior to the closing, they will increase the interest rate at least 0.75% above the market, and they ask you to pay for the points to bring the interest rate down. So, please use your own mortgage company, or sign with NVR with a crazy rate and take the incentive to refinance with a different mortgage company.

Do not enter into a contract without asking for incentive if you don’t have your own realtor with you. The sales office will need to pay 3% to your realtor. Or, ask them to pay the 3% to you if you don’t use one. Please be mindful that whatever you have seem in the Ryan Homes' model house, the standard of the finishing product is at least 50% lower than the model house. There is no quality control. When I found issue, they said, “I can’t catch all the mistakes,” or “It is covered under Warranty, you don’t have to worry about it.” In the end, nothing get fixed. So, do NOT have a high expectation of your home, or you will be disappointed, just like I am. We found leaking from the roof into my drywall. I saw paint pilled out from the wall. They said they will check. It is been three weeks, it is still in process to check!

It is recommended to not close until they fixed all of your issues. I demanded them to fix all of my issues prior to the closing. Instead, Ryan Homes was threatening me if I don’t close on the closing day, they are going to charge me 1% of the penalty. So, 3 weeks after closing, nothing is fixed. What a joke. Ryan Homes has poor quality control in general. Especially, Ryan Homes has zero quality control on its contractors, at least on TAC. TAC installed our hardwood floor, countertop, cabinet, carpet. They not only damaged the hardwood floor and cabinet, but also installed a two different color carpet in a same room!!! They were hoping that I am color blind and I can’t see the difference.

The hardwood floor. We spent thousands to upgrade the floor. Just FYI, it will be BETTER TO DO THE FLOOR YOURSELF. After the hardwood floor was installed, there was no protection for the floor. Instead, they put all the trash, paint, appliance directly on the floor. When I entered the house, I felt that the floor is at least 5 months old for the new house. I also found that the hardwood floor in the kitchen area was flood by water. The floorboards are damaged. Contacted Ryan Homes, they said that the damaged floorboards were the designed in that way! Ryan Homes said they will replace that piece of board!!! The senior project manager neither admit that they did a good job on the floor nor take responsibly of the issue.

Cabinet. They dent all of my Upgraded Cabinet!!! They even used different paint to touch up lots cabinet and hoped that was okay. I recommend to check your cabinet inch by inch. 10. The countertop. They installed a countertop with a huge dent/, and filled the dent with some product to make it even with DIFFERENT COLOR!!!

If you absolutely have to buy, do your own quality control since Ryan Homes has ZERO quality control. Visit your place at least once a week. Make sure hire your inspector for every stage of the house since Ryan Homes CANNOT BE TRUSTED. DO NOT UPGRADE anything. It will be way much cheaper and better quality if you do it by yourself. Take the closing incentive and refinance with different company.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Building a home can be daunting. My husband and I loved the floor plans offered but were leery of Ryan Homes because of the internet reviews. Fast forward to 4 months later, we have a BEAUTIFUL 4500 sq ft Normandy that is everything we could've dreamed of. Working with Kate, Jarrett, and Rachel was a dream. Throughout the process it truly felt like we were dealing with a custom builder rather than just a production builder. We picked a few things in our home that we splurged on, but just the base model itself is enough.

Our concerns were always addressed and handled. All in all we had the same goal in mind and we worked together to accomplish just that. The contractor touched based every Monday and Friday, and if something big came up, we received a call in between that. Our home was a fast track home, meaning it was the last lot in the area, plus we were renting and tried to line up our lease ending with the closing on our Ryan home. The contractor (Jarrett) and NVR Mortgage made it happen. We locked in rates lower than any one else could offer.

We weighed the fact that Ryan Homes builds 10's of thousands of homes a year and yet there were only 100 or so complaints as a positive. Plus the complaints, if they had any merit, could've easily been handled. We will recommend Ryan Homes more specifically, Fort Scott, to ANYONE looking for a builder, especially because production builders allow you to narrow down options rather than drowning in options like a custom build. Can I also top this off with saying the Sales Representative dropped off a beautiful patio plant as a housewarming gift? I hope anyone who weeds through the negative can find this positive comment and feel secure in choosing Ryan Homes.

Original review: May 8, 2018

5/7/18. NVR Inc. is the holding company and it owns Ryan Homes, NVR Homes, NVR Mortgage and NVR Title Services. I am about to purchase a Ryan Homes in New Market MD - Lake Linganore. Ryan suggested to use their mortgage financing which is NVR Financing, because they would offer $5000.00 closing help. This is some type of switch and bait tactic because their closing costs were higher than other lenders' closing cost. For example, the fee that NV charges to process the load is $1990 whereas Costco Home buying program was $311.00. I understand NV homes would allow the $5000.00 to be used with another lender if the NV financing would have denied the financing deal. However, when we demonstrated the lack of closing help Ronnie ** - Branch Manager - NVR, Inc was still trying to push upon an inferior loan of higher interest rates and higher closing cost.

Ronnie refused to denied the loan and said it was my decision not to move forward with their program. Even if we attempted to increase the cost of the home to cover some of the closing cost we would still be short. I again demonstrated this to Ronnie and he refused to deny the loan. Note other items a buyer should be reviewed is the mortgage insurance (MI). This was higher with NVR financing with a standard conventional loan. NVR MI was $207.00 and another lender monthly total was $142.00.

Another option was to buy out of the MI for $8,740.57 and competitor was $6651.00. A $2089.57 cost difference. My point with this data is buyer should be aware of their unethical practice of Ryan and NVR Financing being lured in with bait of $5000.00 closing help. Seems to be predatory lending practices to me when you force a client to go with your lending institution for closing help and not have a competitive product. I asked the President of NVR to call me and may update my above comments.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Our home is 13 years old. We are now the 3rd or 4th owners of the home, and we are finding numerous items Ryan Homes did to cut corners. First, they did not properly support the window framing. The side of the windows, between the window and the wall, cheap plastic. No wood support. To replace the windows, the installer would be responsible for adding the needed structure. Walls are not always 16 inches off center, as required by code. In gutting the bathroom upstairs, it showed somewhere 20 inches, others 14, etc.

The furnace and air conditioning unit are not big enough for the house (per an HVAC installer). Door jambs are not straight. To fix it, I have to remove the entire door jamb. This is on bedrooms and bathrooms. Lazy Susan in the kitchen was installed so it is sticking out from the cabinets. The last home owners just never took the time to get it fixed. It is the originals holes, so it has always been off. My advice: never buy a used Ryan home without doing a very very thorough inspection.

Original review: April 25, 2018

First I would like to say I to was lied to and was not given what I paid for. Ryan Homes sell you a pipe dream. First day my home was not completed on my closing day. (May 26 2017) On June 10 I received a water bill for $1237.00. I contact everyone I possibly could have reach out to but to no avail. Cracks in drywall, excessive nail popping in which they were to fix but I was limited to. Poor and unprofessional services of their so call warranty. There are so many more issues I could discuss but just stay away from Ryan Homes.

Original review: April 4, 2018

The worst experience I have ever had buying a home. RYAN Homes has lied to us throughout the whole purchase and living experience. They do not attempt or schedule punch out lists and the dates they promised. They said they would come over to do the various updates they promised, they never showed up. They changed managers, and they continued to pass the buck. Those dry erase boards at your corporate center are a joke. They did not come here once to address the builder's deficiencies, not once. I will never recommend anyone to Ryan Homes, I tell everyone to never look at a RYAN home, disgraceful. They have lied to us throughout the process. DON'T EVER LOOK AT A RYAN HOME.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I’ve had problems from the very beginning ranging from water in my walls to furnace going out to garage door motor dying and now a 6 year old water heater going out & kitchen tile coming up. All I’m hearing from the Ryan representative is “unfortunately the warranty has expired”!! I’m waiting on my granddaughter to graduate high school & then “unfortunately” I’m gonna sell this piece of junk to someone else & move into a real home. This is my second home I’ve had built but I won’t do it again. Ryan burnt me for good!

Original review: March 28, 2018

Buyer beware!! The reviews are accurate. I started the buying process around Feb 2017. I was told the closing date was 12/7/17. The mortgage lender, referred by Ryan Homes, after 2 mandatory apps to NVR, was a total joke. After the first deposit of $2500 and 30 days later, another $7100, for total $9600... fast forward to Feb 2018, yes 2018 – 1 year later!! Ryan Homes cancels my contract, and the way I found out was when I called to verify the closing dates of either Feb 19 or Feb 23... I was told that I was emailed a letter telling me Ryan cancelled my contract and sold the townhome. They did all of this before the proposed closing dates and before I even got the denial letter from the mtg broker — who by the way, indicates in the letter, that I didn’t make enough income to purchase the property.

And... they are keeping my $9600 deposit. Janet, sales rep, referred me to Hasan, mtg broker, who ‘could get anyone financed.’ I needed a bank statement loan vs conventional loan. 6 months later, and daily ignoring my texts, calls and emails, the mtg broker starts to work on my loan less than 2 weeks before closing. Impossible, right? Right. Janet repeatedly told me that I’d get approved for a loan — not to worry. My realtor was present for most conversations with Janet. The mtg co demanded repeatedly, over and over, that I pay off this and that, which I did, until finally they required me to pay/settle a charged-off loan of 10 years ago. So I diligently pursue the task of trying to settle this account. After talking with the attorney firm about the settlement, I was advised to leave it alone. The end result would have been a $90,000 loan repayment for an original loan that was 34,000.

The real bite is this. The mtg broker offered me a 5 or 7-year arm. If I had settled and hence reopened that debt, there would have been no way to refi the arm and I would have gone into default losing my 15% downpayment, all of my $ investment and the property. Ryan Homes contract says that if the home buyer honestly does everything possible to get the mtg, then at their discretion, they may return your deposit. So after many phone calls, emails, text messages, no return anything from anyone involved in this entire transaction from Ryan Homes. The other reviews are accurate. The salespeople are desperate, the co has no ethics or morals. I think this whole deal was a scam from the beginning. What a nightmare it’s been. The mental stress, the $ expenses ie. temp living, storage units, all adds up. Please take the reviews seriously.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Highly Dissatisfied - Things that were told to us at the time of sale were completely different from what we have experienced post possession. At the time of move in – SOD was not installed, landscaping was not done, house was not cleaned, mailbox was not installed. All this when the move in date was extended by 40 days by Ryan. And this was just the beginning. After move in we started discovering various issues – hardwood floor making squeaky noises at several places, floor having chips at several places, electric switches installed in the most absurd way, finishing defects (poor paint job). We were told of the 1-year warranty at the time of sale. It was described as “when you move in furniture and stuff, there are things that get chipped and damaged”.

At 1 year mark, we will come back and fix anything that is broken. Now we are being told stuff differently. For everything we are being told that it is not covered under warranty. The SOD was installed 3 weeks after we moved in and 2 days before freeze. I am trying to think of anything good with Ryan Homes and the more I think, the poorer things come to my mind. I can go on and on without stopping. Completely disappointed. My suggestion to anyone looking for a new home – DO NOT BUY RYAN HOMES without reading the fine print and then have everything in writing.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Ryan Homes in Greenville SC - So far I've came across 3 issues. 2 toilet flanges are backwards. Which is ridiculous. I'm redoing the master bathroom. The vanity light was rigged up to make it as easy as possible for them to install it. The sheetrock was torn open for the length of the vanity light. There was no electrical box. Just rigged up to make it work.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Our Venice took exactly 3 months to complete. We closed on the exact date that the Project Manager told us we would during our first meeting. The house is more than enough space for our (currently) 3-person family. We can also host big family parties and everyone can still see each other with the open floor plan. Some drawbacks: our driveway was poured too close to the winter; it's chipping and we're going through the process of getting it replaced. If we don't get it replaced, this review should be closer to 2 stars because it's really degrading fast.

The floors and walls are pretty thin - no insulation between rooms so you can hear every time someone plugs something into the walls. The air return in the kitchen is really loud. You can hear the water trickle down the pipes from the second floor because the pipes aren't insulated. If you get the chance, definitely insist on insulating the pipes behind the walls on the main floor. Best part about living in a Ryan community - really nice neighbors so far, many with young families like our own.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

As a single family house owner, I recommend that any new home buyer rethink twice before going to Ryan Homes. My complaints are countless. Windows disfunctioning after 1 year of delivering their so-called new homes. Drywall maintenance. Ceiling paints suck. Stairs rails are loose. Kitchenware is weak and not the best quality.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Ryan Homes has literally made my life a nightmare for 6 months. I could write a book about the problems with the house, but the biggest thing is they have zero professional morality. Even you asking for what you paid for is met with such a terrible reaction and you will never get anything but a quick cosmetic fix. Nothing is ever really corrected how it should be. Each problem just unveils the next problem. I have nearly lost my job having to stay home waiting on repair people. I am just so sad because I saved for several years to build this house and now I hate every moment of it.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I recently purchased a home in the Forest Lake Subdivision in (Apopka) Florida. As one other reviewer pointed out. Purchasing a new home is not a cookie cutter process. You must be smart and do your homework. This will be the third newly built home that I had purchased. The first was very inexpensive and I had some surprises (like they did not cut the trees down in the backyard - not part of the contract and not a Ryan home), The second in a more upscale neighborhood and they did not install a thermostat (so the air constantly ran until I noticed it) and they put towel racks and toilet paper holders upside down and there was a leak in the foundation (Levitt and Sons). I was prepared when I went into my Ryan home (so I thought).

The loan process is the same anywhere: You will be asked to complete forms and send proof of your income, savings deposits, etc. Then a few months down the road you will be asked to resend the same forms. It is a headache, but part of the process. Ask questions and know what interest you can and want to afford. You may be able to buy down the points.

The sales process was easy, of course the salesperson is nice (they would not put a nasty sales person as your first contact), Mine was Jill. She walked us through the process and showed explained what to expect and was there through the entire process. The building then starts: You are assigned a building inspector (Mine was Jordan), He again walked through the process and timeline step by step. You then go home and wait for the house to be built. My suggestion is to visit the house often, after all there are many homes being built and many errors can occur along the way that are easier to fix while they are in the process. That is what I did and I caught a few things that I was not pleased with (no vent for the stove) and the supervisor had it corrected.

My only complaint is with the two by fours that they used in the building of my home. True they are covered by drywall, but it is the fact that I know they are there that bothers me. About twenty five percent of the two by fours looked like a rat chewed them up. I brought that to the supervisor's attention and he indicated that this is standard for builders. I looked at many of their other homes and it was not the case in them. I also had a problem with the drywall in the ceiling appeared to be sagging, but they fixed that.

Overall it is a great house, no problems so far (one month) and the supervisor, salespeople, and mortgage company delivered what they promised (except the two by fours that should have been used in a bomb fire). They would have a five but for them they have a 3.5 which I rounded up. If you are not a strong person who has the time to do your homework and patience to wait while the house is built and repaired then a new home may not be for you, go used and spend thirty grand having it remodeled (which will be worse).

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Ryan Homes has been a disaster from about 30 days after closing. I am currently listening to loud beeps from a cement truck that has been on our street since 3 AM and is almost 5. The quality of their work is extremely poor, even after they claim to have a 3rd party come in to review it. We did our punch list after moving in and of course noticed much bigger things after that point, which is why they push for you to do it as soon as possible. What they do “fix” on the list you provide is actually not truly fixing it but covering it up. For example, they had white paint from the trim on our hardwood floors and their “fix” was using a dark wood color crayon that is typically used for furniture nicks, which of course does not remove the paint, and was cleaned off when our cleaning people came. There is a broken tile in our shower, that due to the design in the tile was not noticed until after we were finished with our list of repairs.

I’m not sure how this was not noticed by Ryan Homes or the 3rd party if they are going over everything in such detail they claim to. There is a huge gash in drywall they painted over in our stairwell which went unnoticed by us because it is a very high stairwell, but again, not sure how they missed it. Before we moved in I specifically asked about getting a refrigerator up the stairs as they are narrow (townhome) and the project manager looked at me like I was stupid and said it would not be an issue, which was a complete lie. It was a huge issue. It did not fit (even after picking a smaller fridge than they said would fit) and had to have the drywall and stairwell destroyed (after paying painters because no one wants the standard white all over their house) which Ryan Homes said they would “fix”.

They argued that they would not paint back the color we just had paid thousands of dollars to have our house painted to (we had the paint to have them use) and wanted to fix it by painting their standard color over my grey in patches, which would have looked horrible and I would have to pay my painter to come back out to fix. After fighting they finally agreed to paint one coat of my color. The wooden stairs were beat up from shoving the fridge up, which they fixed by the same wood color crayon, leaving the gashes in the wood.

A couple months after moving in we lost our internet connection, come to find out Ryan Homes cut a cord during construction of the units across the street, and now we have 12 units with ugly orange wires all leading out our garages and Ryan Homes claims it is our internet providers’ (two separate companies) problem, even though we had the wire buried at one point and both internet providers have said they are happy to rebury the wire, once it is fixed. Not what I would expect out of a nearly $400k Home. These are just a couple examples, I have many many more. They push really hard for you to complete a survey as soon as you close which is when they act like they want to help and then once you complete it they do not care at all. I will never buy from them again and strongly urge others not to too.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Ryan Homes has been a nightmare experience buying a home. They sold us a model not back from engineering and didn't let us know it was not completed. So now they are unilaterally changing the garages, taking away windows, making the patio smaller than the original plans. It is no longer a house we want to buy and they will not return our deposit. This realtor Kathy seems like she would do anything for a sale, including but not limited to lying, misrepresenting the product, not advising us of changes. We feel we were duped and were mislead into buying a model that doesn't exist. Their left hand truly does not know what their right hand is doing. Their timelines are WAY OFF. Never believe 6 months build. 9 months seems to be their average, which shows how incompetent they are.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

2 year old home. 2 foundation cracks in the exact area but on opposite sides of the home, one you can see daylight from the basement. With a straight face they’re telling me it’s not structural and have a nice day. I had a company come in and look at 1 that can be fixed without pulling out drywall... they felt so bad they discounted the repair because Ryan Homes are a bunch a scam artists. Still trying to get a Ryan to take responsibility for the other one. I have photos upon request.

Ryan Homes Company Information