Ryan Homes

Compare Home Builders & Developers

Research top Home Builders & Developers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

If I could do it all over again, I would have listened to the other reviews and never purchased a Ryan home. The mortgage process with NVR mortgage was a nightmare. They delayed my closing by a month due to a clerical error on their part. When I went to the manager at my apartment complex to see if I could stay for one more month, I was told that my apartment had already been rented and I would need to be out by the end of the month. NVR offered no help and I was essentially homeless until my closing.

Once I moved into my home, I noticed the shoddiness of the construction. Drywall cracking, cabinet pieces falling off, and my exterior window cracked. I have submitted a request to have repairs done and I get an automated response that someone from the Ryan Homes extended warranty customer service team will be in touch within 24-48 hours from when the request was submitted. It has been over 7 days. But hey, I should expect this because the customer service I received when I was purchasing my home was crappy so why should it change after they have already collected my money? I cannot wait to get some equity in this home and sell it because that it was I will be doing immediately. Purchase at your own risk!

If you are thinking of buying a Ryan Home please reconsider. Their workmanship is very poor and they just don't care about quality. They want to get the job done fast so they can build another house and make more money but care nothing about doing a quality job. I will never, never buy a Ryan Home again. I have had to have my hardwood floors repaired 5 times. If they had been installed correctly the first time there would not have to be five trips to get it right. All the doors in my home were crooked and had to be adjusted. When the door to the garage was being straightened the trim was removed and there was at least a 2 inch gap between the 2x4 and the door frame. If I hadn't demanded the repair I would not have known there was such a gap until cold weather arrived.

There isn't a level wall in the whole house. They are either bowed or crooked. The concrete foundation cracked in the garage, kitchen and front porch two days after it was poured and they refuse to fix it. Said it was normal for concrete to crack. If so, not 2 days after being poured. The drywall installed in my garage is pathetic. The sheets don't even meet where butted up against each other. The tape is peeling off and it is just, overall, sloppy work. I think they pick up their workmen off a street corner and put them on a job site with no training. It shows in the end product. As far as NVR goes I would never go through the mortgage process with them ever again. They are as crooked as Ryan Homes since they are one and the same! I am only writing this review to let unsuspecting buyers beware of Ryan Homes and save them a lot of suffering and sleepless nights.

I'm a hard working, single woman. I built a Ryan Home and for the most part, have been happy with it. However, over the holidays I had sewage backing up into my garage which was not only disgusting but made a huge mess and ruined a few items I had stored. Since it was over the holiday, I had to call Roto-Rooter since they were the only ones working. They looked at my sewage lines with a camera and said they were cracked and needed repaired. They charged me $350 but at least got the sewage cleaned out of the garage. I then called a local plumbing expert who also used the camera to look at the problem. He showed me the broken pipes. Not only were they cracked and crumbled, but they were not even sealed together. Ryan did not use the correct pipe for a residential sewage system nor did they seal them together. They used Schedule 40 pipe part of the way (coming out of the house) and that went into Schedule 20 and Schedule 10.

They were simply slipped into each other and not even glued or sealed to prevent them from separating. In order to fix this shoddy work, my entire yard is being dug up (the pipe is buried 8 ft under near the house and goes to 13 ft. under to the street), my sidewalk steps will need to be cut off, my lamp post will need removed and my new landscaping is going to be destroyed (I just paid $3,000 this past summer to have my entire front and side of the house landscaped). They are concerned that my driveway will sink because every time they dig soil out, the ground falls into the hole and the pipe runs along the side of my driveway.

This repair, due to Ryan's shoddy work, is costing me $11,000 just for the plumbing. It will cost more once I have to replace all of the landscaping, light post and cement steps. Hopefully, my driveway will not cave in. If anyone knows of any recourse I may have, I would be very grateful. What is interesting is that the Ryan Project Manager who was in charge of building our development lives across the street from me. However, I'm being told by many that I don't have a case because it's past the warranty period. I'm sick to my stomach.

My husband and I built our first home with Fox Ridge (aka Ryan Homes) in Nashville a little over a year ago. I can't tell you the numerous issues we have had with our home since we have moved it. Seriously people, DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM RYAN HOMES OR FOX RIDGE HOMES OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH NVR!! If you have already purchased your home with them or are currently getting ready to close, let me give you some advice, purchase your own home inspection. They try to win you over by saying they will take care of the home inspection, but the home inspector is an insider or someone they have paid off to make the home sound perfect. Well... Let me tell you, the home inspector didn't catch a lot of defects with our house.

Honestly I don't even think our home is up to codes since we have so many issues. Although I have a TON of complaints, I'll stick to one for now - our HVAC unit. We have lived in our home for just over a year now. When they first installed our HVAC unit, they installed it wrong (upside down is what the HVAC company said), so therefore, we were not receiving any heat for over two weeks in the middle of winter!! So they got that fixed. Then six months later, the AC barrel (whatever that is) broke. Called HVAC people again, and they told me that it shouldn't be a big deal and they would just go grab one off of another unit. Well... here's the kicker, get a phone call from the HVAC people and they have to order the part because my unit has been discontinued 2 YEARS AGO!! What?!?! We freaking built a new home and they installed a 2 year old unit in our house!! Seriously!!

So no AC for another 2 weeks, oh and did I mention that it was now the dead of summer with outside temperatures in the high 90's!! We ended up purchasing a window unit for the time being since it was so miserably hot!! Now fast forward to this past week (late December), and we happen to notice that the front of the house seems super cold. We call the HVAC people again, wait a week, and then finally they show up. The guy goes under the crawl space and finds out that they never wired up the dampers to the front of the house!! So that means we haven't been getting AC or Heat to the front part of our house.

SERIOUSLY! So let me sum this up... They installed a 2 year old unit to a brand new house, installed it upside down, and forgot to wire the dampers so part of the house was not receiving AC or heat. So please explain to me what the home inspector actually did!! Just BS. So if you must purchase your Ryan Home, then do yourself a favor and hire an outside inspector to make sure everything is working properly.

You will hear minimal everyday noises thru yours and neighbor's wall. When I contacted Ryan Homes their reply was that noise is not warranted. I was also told they only put insulation in one of the adjoining walls! I sent them another email saying that was heck of a way to cut corners and save a few bucks. Have not heard anything back as of yet. Wouldn't recommend their Townhome due to this cheap shortcut that will cost me $$$.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryan Homes?

Basically I want to ask a question and see if anyone has a answer. I am in the final stages of building with Ryan and financing with NVR, their mortgage company. Now, my house will be under a VA loan which requires a appraisal from the VA. I am a little worried about appraisal after reading some of these reviews. They actually rolled some of the closing costs into the price of the house raising the price by $5,000 or a little less. This house was originally at a sale costs of $179,350.00. For general purpose the house is in the Martinsburg WV area. It is a new design plan 1680.

The question is this: Has anyone had a problem with NVR/Ryan adjusting the sale price to the appraisal price? Right now there is no other funds to give these people as I have been drained down not from the company but from life circumstances that just happened such as 2 car accidents within 10 weeks of each other by my son and wife. Or does anyone have any idea of how much this house would appraise for with the VA??

Poor quality. They don't fix things that break. Siding completely fell off most of the house. Tried calling. Spoke to people. They ignore you. Won't fix the problem. I have to. I would never buy a Ryan home again.

We brought some friends to look at a unit at Discovery Square since they are first time buyers interested in purchasing. They had their toddler with them and I asked the salesperson if they had a bathroom so my friend could change the toddler's diaper. The salesperson was extremely rude and said "No, we don't have a changing station. This is not a gas station." To which I said, "I understand this is not a gas station but you are selling homes to families right? You don't have to be rude. It is ridiculous that you cannot offer a restroom to a mother in need to change a diaper." So we left. Some people are not meant to be in sales. Ryan Homes should select their sales people better. If this is the welcome experience you get at the sales office, I can imagine what the purchasing process must be like. From the ratings in this site and the experience I had we had, I will recommend staying away from Ryan Homes.

I live in Nashville and moved in just over a month ago. Ryan Homes has most incompetent contractors and worst quality sub-contractors. The work is of cheap quality and barely meets minimum standards and are average in nature. The overall look is fine but finishing is poor and you can notice them if you pay close attention to things like walls, paint, ceiling etc. I had a 10-point list after my orientation and 2-3 of them are not even fixed yet, even after a month. These are things that were supposed to be fixed before closing. You can't even touch your walls; the paint quality is so bad that if you barely brush your finger or jacket on the wall, you will start noticing shade or scratches. Our contractor never answers phone and only replies to email or text when convenient.

We have already seen 5 or 6 new problems that show the quality of work and now needs fixing. There are already pending cabinet door replacement (that were promised soon after settlement) that are not done in more than 5 weeks after moving in. I have told my agent to not suggest Ryan Homes to any her new clients already.

I will recommend the homes at Lakes at Lucerne Park on Winter Haven FL. The houses are comfortable and they will have plenty of space for your family. In addition, the contractor working on ground along with his crew will make sure that your house meets needs. We recently purchase a home here and we love it. If you're looking to purchase a new home stop by Ryan Homes at Winter Haven, FL. You will love it.

We are in the process of purchasing a condo built by Ryan Homes. They have failed to comply with regulations, thus delaying our settlement. They supplied a 2016 budget, but failed to give a 2016 reserve study. Their reserve is 7.9% which is less than the 10% required. When the reserve falls short of the 10%, a reserve study must be in place. There is no 2016 reserve. However, they gave us a 2017 reserve study. Here is the kicker...there is no 2017 budget. I don't understand how they sell THOUSANDS of homes, yet fail to have a simple document. Oh, yeah, they entice you with thousands of dollars of incentives IF you go with their lender, NVR mortgage. They keep all mortgages in-house, therefore do not have to follow regulations and close fast.

Ryan Homes lied to me that I could add a 2 foot extension to my garage. I was in the impression that the 2 foot extension will be added to my side of the garage. I just did a walk through and discover that the claim it was added to the front. Which I did not see. The home is under construction at this time. I ask to add a third car garage and I was going to pay for the expense but they refused to do that. I am not happy with their services and my home construction is stay in progress. They inform me that I couldn't get a free basement when that commercial is currently going on. In fact all of my neighbors have a free basement but yet I am paying more than what their home cost. I am paying 30k above the price range for most home within the neighborhood without a basement.

I have lived in a new-construction Ryan Homes house for 2.5 years. My complaint has to do with how they handle shoddy work that is discovered after their "warranties" expire. This has happened three times to me. I recently tried to change a light bulb above the shower. This was the first time the bulb needed to be replaced. When I tried to change it, the entire fixture came out with the wire and bulb left dangling over the shower. It was never sealed to the ceiling. Ryan refuses to fix it because it is only "warrantied" for 1 year. The problem is not really an issue of a warranty, however. Rather the problem is that is was not initially installed correctly. Because I did not see their shoddy work until I changed the bulb, they told me I am responsible for their shoddy work and I have to pay for an electrician.

My roof leaked and ruined the paint in my bathroom. Again, they said my less than 2 year old roof was out of warranty. After many many phone calls I at least got the company who did the roof to come look at it. The repairman said the original work was done improperly. I am left with the expense of repainting my bathroom. This is not what you expect in a house that is less than 2 years old. My chandelier failed after 13 months, but again, I was left with the bill.

These "warranties" allow them to get away with shoddy work because the homeowner does not catch them in time, or the thing breaks slightly after the warranty. In the latter case, the things that are breaking would be expected to last A LOT longer than their warranties. For example, if I got just a new roof put on my house, I would NEVER expect it to fail in less than 2 years. But Ryan hides behind the sheer number of things that are in a house and then leaves people to pay the bills even when Ryan did not put it in correctly. I called today to say the light was never connected to the ceiling but the man was dismissive and rude and just say, "You have been in your house for x years!"

They called me about an inquiry online which they automatically fill out. I inquired about the address to their models, drove 45 minutes to get there just to see they closed early. I called them back she said they should be there. They were not. Called her back she would not answer. Thanks Ryan Homes.

I live in a Ryan Jefferson home in South Jersey. Our development is only 11 years old. We are retiring and moving and have our house under contract. The septic test was done today and it FAILED!! The person conducting the test explained that the cheap system they installed simply does not work and most homes with this particular setup generally have to get them replaced or start having problems after 5 years. We didn't purchase a new house to have to replace a major part like this in such a short time. This will cost us $13,000 to fix if we want to continue with the sale. I am beyond angry now because I have no tears left.

I wanted to leave some feedback for Ryan Homes. As of this morning, we were in the market for a new home to build. Our friends purchased a home at the Jordan Pointe property in New Hill, NC, and we loved their layout and decided to look for ourselves. The agent that showed us around initially seemed uninterested and may have assumed we weren't serious. I felt stereotyped being only 26 and in the market to purchase a home $400K+. I was very serious, but didn't feel like I was taken seriously until we started running numbers and I let the agent know that I already had a pre-qualification.

During the course of about 3 hours, I felt the agent constantly reminded us that "Ryan Homes is the 4th largest home builder in the US" and in lack of better words, that Ryan Homes did not need my business. I understand that may be true, but that is not the approach I would have taken. I am a seasoned sales account manager for the #1 IT company in the WORLD and I would never make a client feel like we don't need their business. I am very successful in my career and have never found that making a client feel like I didn't need or want their business earned me any business at all.

The agent was very knowledgeable and towards the end I felt like they were doing a great job answering my questions and showing me around, but I could not get over the feeling I left with. We went to see another property this morning and had a completely different experience. We ended up purchasing a much larger home and signing our contract to build on the spot.

I felt it important to leave this feedback because the agent at Jordan Pointe mentioned they receive bonuses on customer satisfaction surveys. If that is the case, I would have a hard time giving that person a high score thinking that they'd probably made others feel the same way they initially made me feel. Purchasing a home is one of the most significant investments that a person will most likely make throughout their life and they should never be made to feel like it isn't good enough. A customer should always be made to feel like they are the most important person during that conversation and that their business is always wanted.

I would assume Ryan Homes did not become the 4th largest home builder in the US by making people feel like they were insignificant. Take this for what it is, but I understand you have a great reputation as a company and I would hope you can maintain that through each employee that works for Ryan Homes. Thank you!

Run as fast as you can... do not lock in New bull... Contract money. We bought this scam of a new home in December 2015. There were several things I noticed when walking the final walk that I really thought were odd. First, if you purchase the Florence, you will have a beautiful vent smack in the middle of the walk leading up the stairs. The drywall was very poor quality the tile work was crap, the flooring had air bubbles, the granite was chipped and dull. The so called foreman what a joke, the realtor onsite was a liar, this outfit is so bad. We have had to file so many service tickets here. Found water in the laundry room, the culprit was Ryan Homes cutting corners not wrapping the vent which in turn lead out into the living room. Now we have a joke in both areas waiting for their cheap workers to repair.

The so called yard omg. The sod on every lot in Grove Park is dead because they do not treat the ground under so it only looks good for about 3 months. They talk about their so called energy efficiency **... nothing about this company is honest. We have had so many repairs I can't even start to type them. It would take an entire day. Did I forget to mention the Mexican fiesta every morning. Very disrespectful workers and foreman. They work until dark and arrive before sunup. It's so worth going to another builder. They are more money for a reason.

Upgrades, let's talk about this. One they say this word 95 times during selections, everything is an upgrade. Please do it yourself, they overcharge on everything. We were told during the initial contract signing that pools were allowed here, well that was once again another lie. They tried to tell us we couldn't have a pool but their sales lady told us and our realtor that it was a yes, she was so wrong, the ghost of an HOA showed their ugly face saying no but when I made them aware that this was a promise upon purchasing their ** rule of an enclosure came up even the city doesn't require this but they did. This home was an investment purchase for us because we will sell in 4 years, I guess this will allow enough time for us to get things repaired for the new owner. Shame on this company for being allowed to do this to so many families. Never never again it will be the first thing on my house hunting list. Beware.

Don't be fooled by the exterior. It's how it is put together matters the most. My problems: Our siding color and style was required to be changed per Architectural Review Board. The only color choices Ryan offered did not match. The warranties they offer you have to argue and fight to get things resolved and they still are not resolved. Our $8,000+ composite deck they installed is buckling only after 2 years because they didn't leave any space between the decking planks. The railing is falling apart. Totally unsafe deck. But, we're stuck since the 1 year warranty expired.

We replaced the ugly siding out of our own pockets and the contractors were surprised by the poor workmanship done by Ryan Homes. Nails protruding from the metal roof and flashing not installed properly. Grading problems and having to deal with pools of water in my lawn. They just gave me 10 bags of topsoil to remedy the problems--thanks for nothing. We can't cool our house to 70' since mold starts for form on the vents. Ryan Homes said we can't go lower than 75'. Try that with a menopausal wife.

Ryan Homes installed our Batten Board poorly. We found out from siding contractors that Batten board is supposed to be one continuous piece, not pieces. The seams started to show worse, so it looked like crap. The drywall repair after 1 year is terrible. Most of the nail pops and tape cracks are back--appears the home is still settling after 2 years. That was a waste of time. The cabinet coating is chipping. Numerous errors in the initial order and poor customer service. The expensive sod was laid on subsoil, so it does not grow well. My lawn is lumpy. The houses don't seem to be insulated well. You can hear the neighbors.

The foreman must have no construction experience because of all the problems we have had with the construction itself. Basic construction principles were not even employed. I did not want to purchase a Ryan Homes but did so. I am sorry and paying for that poor decision. My and my neighbors' experiences have not been positive and we will not be purchasing another Ryan Homes. We will not recommend a Ryan Homes. I just hope we don't run into any extensive damages while here. Unless, you have lots of extra money to spend after purchasing a new home and want to not enjoy a new home, go elsewhere.

Went to new Ryan Homes community and signed a contract for a lot and house that were supposed to start in June 2016. After putting thousands of dollars down, here it is August 2, 2016 and there is still nothing happening! That's right, not even one piece of grass moved off of my lot or the whole freaking neighborhood??? I sent the contract to my lawyer, unless I want to lose all the $ I put down, then I am stuck with these liars. They said my house would be done in September. Yeah right! I will be shocked to see if I even get a house in 2017. After reading the reviews about them, I bet my house will be built crappy anyways! So frustrated and wish I could just get my money back! Can't stand to be lied to and misled!

I bought a Ryan Homes house 9 years ago, and in a recent home inspection, some "damages and repairs" were noted from the roof truss. While it was not clear whether there are truly serious damages, the repairs were certain - since I have never hired anyone to do any repairs on the trusses, it must have been the builder who did it before we closed the house and moved in, but without providing any documentation or even letting me know. My agent contacted Ryan Homes to confirm that and never receive any responses.

Since truss is clearly covered by the 10-year warranty, I called Ryan Homes' customer care, and the lady told me that home inspection report is not adequate for them to initiate the warranty process, and I would have to hire a licensed structural engineer to do another inspection, but they will cover that cost. So I did, and paid $450 for that inspection. The engineer said there is currently no damages that need additional repair. While that is good news to Ryan Homes since they don't have to do any more work, they now told me that they will not cover the engineer's cost because "they don't have to do any more work". I argued that I hired the engineer because they told me to do so, as the home inspection report does not mean anything to them as I was told, while the customer care agent, obviously a different one from who I spoke earlier, said he didn't know anything about what I was told before from his colleague.

Not that $450 is a big deal, but I was astonished that Ryan Homes could be so comfortable to tell their customer different things, and use such a lame excuse that they don't know what their colleagues said. I know probably every builder will try to get out of their warranty responsibilities, but I am not so sure that everyone will go this low. So my recommendations are: if you *HAVE TO* buy a Ryan Homes house, make sure you check everything *VERY THOROUGHLY* before you close and accept the house. If you call their customer care, make sure you write down who you spoke with, at what date and time, and probably record your phone calls (they said they record "some" but not all, obviously at their "discretion"); and make sure you obtain all the evidences and keep them in a safe place before you act on their suggestions!

Please be cautioned when building your home! I know you may see more negative than positive reviews and tell yourself of course people are just upset. No this is the real deal, many are how things are with the Ryan Homes. We first moved in our home and immediately noticed large marks/scrapes on our floor. We mentioned upon our walk through. They insisted it will be taken care of that week. Here I am almost a year and my floor is still not correct. As the weeks went by and no one to take responsibility for our floor, our floor continued to crack and split. Yes the actually hardwood floor boards. We brought it up after months of no one taking responsibility, have a national floor inspector out they replaced floor.

A week after that the cracks started again. This time Ryan Homes stated they will look into. We got blamed by them stating we have dog marks on the boards. We dont have a dog! Now 13 days off work for this floor. They stated they would reimburse for our time off and replace the floor. Can you guess what's coming now? Nothing! They stated verbals do not matter and neither do emails. If you look at the bottom of their email they have a disclosure in there. Overall, we have a cracked floor, floor boards that are too tight, and buckling in some spots. Along with 13 total days off.

Mind you when they let the hardwood acclimate in our home they put it over vents, and in sun light. Which the floor inspector deemed the reason for it splitting. He also stated the boards were too tight. Please buy the cheap floor and get your own floor company to put it in not use theirs. Lastly, my cupboards have been replaced three times due to them cracking. Now they won't replace them and say we have to deal with it. Ask yourself if you want to deal with this stuff before you build with them. Its not worth it... Trust me!

Where to start - Well, for one, we were late closing - I know it happens, so can't do much there. Moved in and the bedroom was 15 degrees colder than the rest of the house. They missed a 25' foot seam in the master bedroom and air was pouring it (but remember, it passed the Energy Star tests - which are obvious trash). EVERY corner is not 90 degrees, all angled, window frames off by 1/2" or more so blinds won't close. Another missed seam in the main bathroom caused the tub to be 32 degrees in the winter. Ceilings that slope up to 1/2" in the middle was noticed when tiling. Walls that taper with 1/2" difference between top and bottom.

7 months here and we DO NOT have grading or hydroseed (It's JULY!), basement rafters had drafts and daylight in them - more than 1/4 of them, garage walls do not meet the the stone in the garage - causing air and daylight, and who knows what else to come in. Caulk used ALL OVER the house to cover up poor work, and even more. You have been warned, want to roll the dice like we did - I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure many people have good homes by Ryan, do you want to risk being the one of the many that doesn't?

Initially when I moved bought my condo in 2011 I noticed that my bedroom and Bathroom were not getting enough heat or air. Had Superior Heating and cooling who were and still are contracted by Ryan Homes come to try to fix problem. Knowing darn well that the cheap and system was not large enough to put out enough Heat or Air for my size condo. Their suggestion was to shut off a couple vents to solve the problem. REALLY! Now My air Unit is leaking Freon and I called another reputable local co. to repair. The coils in the unit were already (5 1/2yr old) rusted and leaking fluid and they also looked at the wall unit while I watched and saw 2 Copper pipes that were kinked with a pliers to make a 90* turn instead of using an elbow to make the turn. Therefore the air is not circulating through properly.

I called Superior who again is contracted by Ryan Homes and they will not correct their install complete botch up. Not under 2 yr warranty. This is an install issue done obviously by a tech who did not know what he was doing. I was trying to get them to take a look at mistake and they cannot come to look for 3 weeks. It will only take 10 min. Very disappointed in Ryan Home's choice of contractor.

Bought a new home from Ryan Homes (NVR) in November of 2015 and to say the least ever since then it's been one nightmare after another. First it was with the hardwood floor that was included as a perk and we were told that the hardwood would go into the morning room only to get to the options store to find out - nope doesn't include the morning room. Now how stupid is that? So right there I was done but somebody from Ryan Homes was there in the showroom and he is very high up there in position for the Illinois branch. He asked what was wrong so we told him sales person said morning room was included so he took care of it which was awesome but right after closing my 3 car driveway cracked all the way across from one side to the other.

So I called the site superintendent. He came and looked at it and said "address it at 30 day" so I did with not a word at my 10 month. I brought it up and again nothing but they did come and cut holes in my floors to fix my floor squeaks and pulled my carpet up and wow carpet guy says wrong thresholds for hardwood to carpet that was at my 10 month now. I've had guys show up empty handed to fix my thresholds - now am I crazy but how do you fix them without the parts and as for my driveway I'm still waiting to hear something.

If you are looking to purchase a new home and you want to fall in love with it then don't build with Ryan Homes!! Our home has been under construction before and after we closed 6 months ago, our floors are popping, cabinets replaced 6 times and still not correct, walls bowed and uneven, granite replaced twice, code violations, siding bubbled, carpet replaced, flooring replaced, etc... and was told to take my leave time for all the construction and I used up so much leave I have none left to spend with my wife and kids before my deployment! All Ryan Homes said was I needed to be accommodating if I wanted them to complete construction. They still have so much more to do!! They are horrible!! I wouldn't take a Ryan Homes even if they gave it to me for free. I want to get it repaired so I can possibly sell it! DON'T BUY OR EVEN LOOK AT A RYAN HOME!

Worst problem being vinyl siding that warps and pulls away from the outside structure of the house. Called Ryan! They tell me it is reflection of sun from my neighbor's bedroom window!! Please see pics and see if you can believe that. I don't!! The home is for sale and I will probably have to fix it myself in order to sell. Ryan claims no responsibility, though I firmly believe it was improperly (too tightly) nailed, not allowing the siding to expand and contract as it is meant to do. Plumbing problems from cheap materials and shoddy installation that I've now spent about $1100 repairing. Floors that don't merely squeak but groan and screech in protest when trod upon. I could go on and on but to no avail and yes Ryan is practically non-responsive. It's as if completing a few repairs here and there would bankrupt them! Oh Well! Just let they buyer beware!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

I previously wrote a review some time ago about my frustration regarding the issues I was having during the construction of my home. I'm happy to say Ryan Home took care of the issues as promised and I am now living in my home contently.

Merlene of Jessup, MD on

Original Review

Please if you are in the market and buying a home please stay away from Ryan Homes, my husband and I having a house built by Ryan homes. We have nothing but problems. January 2016 we were told that they move our home in phase two. But everything that was promise in phase one, would not change. That was a lie. We miss our pre-construction drywall walkthrough due to the project manager. He contacted my husband on a Tuesday via email which we never saw the email until after the pre-construction walkthrough. We ask him why didn't he contact us by phone. He said he did, another lie. As a result of such we now have a bulge stud that have caused the siding to budge very visible. I think we shouldn't have to live with this. We are meeting with a supervisor today. If they refused to fixed the problem we will not closed. If we have to take legal action we will.

Right after I moved in my new home, I heard there are noise in the wall. I brought up my concern there is mice in the wall in 30 day inspection, but Ryan Homes refused to open the wall to check, saying it is water pipes. After 5 month infestation, the problem became so severe - I could hear mice squeaking in the wall. They refused to come back to fix the problem, so I hired a pest control company. Pest control could do nothing because they couldn't access inside the wall. After strong request and Ryan Homes confirm with pest control. They came out unwillingly and open a hole on my wall. In the process of opening the hole, mice got killed. Imagine how many mice are there in the wall.

For the following months, I bought numerous trap, glue, poison in order to eradicate mice. Recent month there is a small area which mice is active. Ryan Homes refused to came back to open a hole so I could put the poison in to kill the mice. Ryan Homes won't even spend 30 min to open a hole so I could get some sleep at night. Due to negligence of Ryan Homes, I suffered so much. Live in health hazard house, not to mention the damages caused by the rodents. And Ryan Homes refused to spend 30 mins to open one hole!

Have you ever noticed that Ryan Homes never lets prospective buyers tour the neighborhoods where they have already built their homes? They always build this beautiful, perfectly constructed Model Home in the area where they are selling. This is because their quality, attention to detail and proper building techniques and practices are always in question from homeowners that purchase a home that has problems. Have you ever noticed that there is never a customer satisfaction survey after the purchase of the home to the neighborhood areas they develop? Again, it's because any issues they resolve is always through lost litigation in courts.

I purchased a Ryan Home in 2014 that was previously built in 2012 and sold to the 1st homeowner. Over the past two years of ownership, I have encountered vinyl floors that were coming unglued from the floor, a dishwasher with cold water being run to it rather than hot water, gutters that couldn't properly shed water away from the foundation because the downspouts were too short and two of the corners leaking water straight down causing puddling and indentations near the foundation.

Three areas of where raw wood sheathing or roofing were left exposed because the vinyl siders and roofers were in a hurry to complete the job, a 2600 sq. ft. house in one day! Absolutely no caulking around any of the vulnerable to elements areas such as door, windows, siding areas causing leaks in roof and sidings. Not to mention over 500 screw pops in the drywall in the ceiling and walls which I have repaired as I have painted every single area of ceiling and wall myself.

I did try to call Ryan Homes about these problems and was told right from the onset from this extremely snotty customer service rep that the one year warranty was up and Ryan owes me nothing! So I learned that I just have to do it all myself or hire contractors for areas I can't tackle on my own. It's interesting how Ryan Homes says they have all these warranties on different areas of each home they build. But what I have found these are all the basic warranties that the manufacturers of the products have such as lifetime warranty for Moen faucets and their parts. If it wasn't for all of these good products that Ryan uses there would be no warranty at all!

What is readily apparent is that there is absolutely no warranty on craftsmanship or workmanship on their homes. You can use the best products, but if you don't know what you're doing or worse, don't care - no manufacturer warranty will save you on the biggest investment most people have - their home! My advice to every Ryan Homes owner is discourage others from buying such homes or find a locally, trusted contractor to help you out with the inevitable problems you will encounter.

We had our house built in 2011 and immediately started having problem with our siding. I found out that whoever Ryan Homes hired to put our siding on used staples instead of nails, and was told that housing codes in my city allowed them to do this even though we have about 20 acres of open land in front of the development and wind rips thru here. They originally would send someone out to fix the siding that fell. The problem was that was the only part that they would fix. They did this for the first year.

Every spring we lose big portions of our siding and have to come out of pocket to have it fixed. I think I have done this 6 or 7 times since 2012. When we would call Ryan Homes they would tell us they do not cover siding, even though it was a huge problem, and a documented problem before our 1 year warranty was up. Now they just don't return our call! I am not the only one who has this problem here. Several people in this development lose siding every time it is a little windy and it's absolutely ridiculous that they refuse to fix their screw up. I would never recommend to anyone building to go with Ryan Homes, they do not stand by their work, nor do they fix THEIR mistakes. I gave them 1 star on customer service because I can't give them a zero.

Ryan Homes Company Profile