Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

229 Ryan Homes Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Everyone is so nice and helpful, until you have your closing. Then suddenly you can’t get a call back to save your life! From the HOA to anyone you may need to possibly come fix EVERY crack, scratch, nail pop, bad paint job etc! I wake up to some type of debris on my tiny front yard every day! Whether it’s a cigarette wrapper, a piece of cardboard or whatever. Gets kind of annoying. Homes look beautiful, on the inside. Once you really have time to look at them, you realize someone needs to invest in levelers for everyone! Knobs are uneven, countertops slant, walls don’t go in a straight line.

They obviously use cheap paint too. There’s black and purple coming through my supposed very light gray paint. Walls are cracking around the speakers. Home isn’t even a yr old. They rush to put up too many homes in as short of time as possible. Even one of the workers told me, for whatever he does in these homes, he gets 2 days to do all he has to. Which explains why the walls are cracked between the wall and the steps, I’m sure. He too agreed that they just want to get these up ASAP and move on to the next project. If you don’t mind so many, minor to some, not to me, issues and high taxes, this is the place for you! No insults in the guidelines for reviews. These are facts! So if this doesn’t get posted, it’s because someone doesn’t like to hear the truth!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

From the day we closed on our house we have been SO upset with Ryan Homes in Irwin, PA. From the salesperson to the project manager, they all lied and did crap work. Our house has a major crack in the stone (that we paid a lot of money for) and they won’t fix it. We have nail pops everywhere that they should have fixed at our one year mark, but we didn’t get a 1 year walk through. Our railings that we paid extra for has scuff marks all over them since the day we moved in. Any time you find an issue with something, no one is willing to help or even answer the phone call. If you want a low quality house, go to with Ryan Homes.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Firstly, I personally would not recommend this builder. I read all the reviews as well and still bought from them. Mainly because other builders were priced higher and I was enamored with the home and décor, but now I clearly see why. Quality, Quality! If you still decide to buy, here are a few tips. A.) Upgrade your roof to architectural shingles, this was not on our upgrade list, so ask the project manager or sales. I've seen approx. 10 homes or more in our 42 home development get new roofs due to leaks in approx. less than 5 years.

B.) If the property has well water not public, I would not recommend buying the home at all. Our development had several homes needing new wells within a year or two "Including mine." C.) Get a lawyer to review the contract and to negotiate a down payment, roof warranty, well warranty. My contract, the builder did NOT hold funds in an escrow account and the builder was able to use these funds immediately (potentially losing this money).

D.) Have a START date and Settlement date written on contract. This is a must! They can postpone your start date building or settlement date closing, while you have nowhere to live (and don't forget you gave them a huge down payment already). This happened to me. Seek a lawyer for monetary reimbursement of living expenses if they postponed building and get it upfront. Don't let them "deduct it from settlement."

You think you're getting that sunroom or finished basement for free if you use their mortgage co. Yeah right, think again. Settlement fees/costs were thousands higher than you'd pay with other companies. (Also watch your county, city, school taxes. Make sure they are in closing fees.) Review fees/costs on the preliminary closing costs sheet, check and make sure they are same and not missing or increased by an unreasonable amount at closing day.

* You do not have to use their Title Co. You can use your own and may save money. I did this. I highly suggest you have a lawyer review your contract. The moment you sign you have a 3 day lawyer review period. Also, bring one at settlement or at least bring in your own realtor. Builders have to pay a $ percentage to a realtor, so if you do not use a realtor ask for free upgraded options NOT to bring in a realtor. You can reap the $ benefits for not using a realtor.

Anyway, getting back to my home, poor finish work with drywall. Look at the ceilings in model homes or garage to get an idea of the finish drywall work, try to check homes already built in area. My home has totally visible seam lines on the ceilings in kitchen and Family Room and most of the corner beads have cracks throughout home. Drywallers did poor workmanship in my home. I put it on my "punch list" and builder attempted to fix, but it didn't make a difference. I signed the finished work form just to get rid of them. I could have done a better job or same.

My upstairs shower door has a flap guard at the bottom of the door that was at least an inch short causing water to seep out slowly through my flooring and below where my kitchen is. The ceiling has a water stain. Poor quality non-upgraded carpet started falling apart and buckling within 1 year. Had to replace downstairs. Too expensive to do upstairs, so I still live with it. HVAC has only One HUGE return for the whole downstairs and two upstairs? 3150 sq. ft. home, really? Very, very noisy HVAC 1st floor.

Floors squeaky throughout house, pressed wood floors are not a good underlayment for hardwood or tile. My oven had a 5 inch dent on the top of it and didn't notice until after settlement. I changed out to Stainless Steel and luckily sold my black dented GE oven. Get a covered porch. I didn't and my front door looks years old already. Have to caulk, repaint and reaffix trim around front door every year or so.

So aside from having a new well drilled twice to get potable water and my drywall throughout the house looks like a 5th grader spackled it, a leak on the kitchen ceiling, floors squeaky, carpet buckling, spending a lot of money for fixing issues at least the house is still standing. Last tip/question: Below ground level basements are not included in a homes square footage (even if finished), is it? Check your appraisals and County Tax Collector - you don't want your taxes assessed higher for square footage that doesn't exist. So Good luck and I hope these tips help! Sincerely, Already looking for a new home.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Please be completely aware of what your payment will be and not what they think you can afford BEFORE GIVING THEM ANY OF YOUR GOOD FAITH PAYMENT as they will not give it back. You do sign a purchase agreement; however, you are signing it based off their word of giving you what you expect. Their word is not good enough for you to sign anything or give a good faith deposit. Please don’t sign anything until you have went through the whole approval process. We were honest and said we could do it if the payment was a certain number. The sales agent said she doesn’t see it being a problem and gave us our estimated worksheet and said certain things were a little higher so the payment would go down a bit from this estimated worksheet. She also said “they are not in the business of keeping money.” Sooo we have our 3k deposit believing the payment would fall in line where we needed it to be.

She also said that if we close before the year ends in Dec we could possibly get homestead exemption for 2020 so of course the payment will be less with this as well which is not true, you have to go through a whole year in the house. Which I thought to be the case, but I trusted the sales person who has expertise in this stuff. I don’t. SO, we give our 2,500 good faith dep and a loan officer calls the next day. We voice our concerns with her as well about the payment being a certain amount. She also doesn’t see a problem. A couple more days later we give 500 more dollars. A couple of weeks go by and we haven’t heard from the loan department after we had submitted everything. We reach out to them and they said they said we were on the list to call. They gave us our official conditional approval which was higher than what we expected payment wise.

We asked that same night for a revision on the loan type. To this day we haven’t heard back from them. Which we didn’t expect a new loan offer right then but an email, a call, a text would have been sufficient advising they were looking into it. A couple of days later, my husband goes into the sales office and says we want to cancel. It was a Friday evening, sales rep advises him that her manager will call him early next week and she was going to see what happened with the loan department cause she thinks they could be more creative and doesn’t understand why it jumped up in payment. We never heard from the manager or from the sales rep. That Wednesday, my husband text the salesperson and said we haven’t heard from anyone. She didn’t say much except they are keeping the deposit and they have 60k in the lot already....

NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE SINCE WE SIGNED. In fact, another person had that lot right before us but they had to back out because he lost his job per the sales agent! Soooo they own the lot already. They are out nothing!! The other two houses beside “our” lot have been getting worked on so our lot had a dumpster and such on it for a few weeks. Point is nothing was done. It was an open area. The follow up between start to now has been lackluster. They manipulated the situation to receive our good faith deposit. We had to re sign our lease in our house 7/31 and for no one to get back to us it forced us to sign another 12 months or we would have been stuck going month to month and paying 200 a more a month for nothing. Which we were going to do if owning this house was at the end of tunnel.

But since we didn’t hear back regarding the loan type revision or from the sales manager we had to make the decision to sign again. My husband also asked for the salesperson manager's info. She has yet to text him back.... which was 4 days ago although she text him to say we weren’t getting our deposit back. (Update: She text the manager's email and advised he has no ph number.... yea, ok! ) The two stars are for the lot. It was beautiful. But please Read about Ryan Homes and NVR on google if you are having any doubt. Please do that. Don’t trust the person who is going to tell you what you want to hear cause at the end of the day they only care about the sale. There are a lot of issues online about the construction.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

We bought our home in Lake Wylie, SC, 7 years ago. In that time, we’ve had 4 FOUR!! Roof leaks! We’ve had multiple inspectors tell us that they “cut the valleys wrong and the water is running under the shingles and into the house." Ryan roof contractors Howe Roofers in Tega Cay, came out and said it was all good, but every time it rains, WATER POURING IN!! They won’t return calls now, and we have to have it fixed. Insurance will cover the drywall, but since it’s not storm damage, they won’t cover the roof. Now we have to pay to have 4 valleys fixed! DO NOT buy from Ryan. They have crap houses, crap contractors, and don’t stand behind their product OR their word!! I wouldn’t recommend Ryan homes to my worst enemy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryan Homes?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

My husband and I were looking to build our first home; supposed to be one of the happiest moments in our lives. At first, everything sounded great and we signed our contract. Once we began to build, it was like everything we were told we would have, was a HUGE lie. Things that were very important to us (large backyard for kids, flat driveway accessible for handicap, etc.) were completely different and unchangeable once we had our closing meeting with the contractors. "We never told you that" or "Sorry you misunderstood what we said," was all they could say. Our FIRST home that we have been dreaming up for years is now something that my husband and I are so unhappy with that we just want to call a quits BEFORE our closing date. All they do is apologize for the miscommunication. What will that help or change??

Original review: July 29, 2019

PLEASE Stay AWAY from this construction company for good!!!! Our dream home was constructed using sub-standard material, I am looking for good lawyer to file my claim against this company!! Warranty Department is not responsive and helpful!!

Original review: July 26, 2019

I am a local realtor. In the last 30 days Ryan Homes has caused me to lose two sets of buyer clients. Ryan Homes tells my clients who call or visit their home new construction sites Ryan Homes will reward buyers lump sums of money off their closing costs and also added upgrade incentives if they do NOT use a realtor AND if the potential buyer uses their in house title company and mortgage company. It’s illegal to do so per RESPA laws.

I plan to share this experience with over 300 RE/MAX agents I work with. I am not the only realtor agent who has experienced this. There have been at least a dozen agents I know who have also been unethically and illegally pushed away from their clients. Ryan Homes buys the buyers with their incentives and non compliant RESPA practices. Ryan Homes has a duty to inquire if a buyer has a Realtor. They are not doing so - they are dangling the upgrades and cash incentives instead. When the new construction market slows Ryan Homes will be begging realtors to bring their clients to their sites.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I was recently laid off from my job and Ryan Homes refuses to return my $2200 deposit and my 575$ appraisal I submitted for new home build. They intend to resell the unit and keep my money. AVOID!!!!

Original review: July 10, 2019

We were interested in buying. Ryan Home in Sothern Delaware. After leaving several messages they never bothered to call us back. After reading the reviews it’s a blessing they never called us back. Many better builders in the area. I recommend seek them out first. Put Ryan Homes at the bottom of your list.

Ryan Homes Company Information