Find a Home Builders partner

Help me decide

1.4/5 (32 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Ryan Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Ryan Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryan Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryan Homes?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I have items from my 30 day walk that still has not been taken care of a year later. So does many of my neighbors. Yes, I reported it, yes, I opened a ticket, yes I called. The paint is cheap we all know that, the tile is cheap as it's peeling and chipping at the corners. Glue and grout stains throughout. I would NEVER build or recommend a Ryan's home to any of my family or friends, that's for sure.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I am close to my two year “loss of warranty,” timeframe and my hvac won’t work. It happens to be the heat of summer. The hvac company blames “me,” and a “schedule.” After they address it is still doesn’t work. Sobieski is the hvac company. Both corporations should prioritize service rather than new business.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Ryan Homes built our Lee's Parke, Fredericksburg, VA Bramante one level finished basement 3/2020. You can no longer build a home in this community for under $500,000. These are just a few of the many issues that we have/had in our home: Multiple cracks in foundation hidden behind the installation (may not be caused by shrinkage but by a county code required bolt). Cracks at back door frame, front step and at garage door, Electrical circuits mis-wired to include Hot water heater not placed on single circuits, 10 Interior 2 exterior lights uncentered in ceiling, Humps in drywall, Visible seams in walls and truss in ceilings, deck railings two different sizes, defective carpet throughout entire home (replaced with a thinner carpet and refuse to remove the excess carpet on the role. Left in our garage).

We were not compensated for having to remove 75 gallons of water from the fish tank in order for them to replace the defective carpet, missing electrical outlet (their charge for adding one $350) and saw nothing wrong with not putting the missing one in, Wavy tray ceiling (refuse to complete repairs), Broken truss, Defective stove, Interior doors have a gap approx. 1 3/4 wide. Doors are not hung in the model and we were never told they would be larger than industry standards. Tommy ** explained the large gap under the doors as a one size fit all to accommodate tile flooring. These gaps lead to no privacy due to lights and sounds and no way to keep draft out, because standard product doesn’t fit. Erosion/Grading issues and Outside water septic leak from the knob.

Sunken/Roller Coaster/Floating floors - (Brett Sechler, Vice President came to my home on 2 occasions and never introduced himself or that he is the VP). Brett had Tommy ** to measure in two places (patio door and front door) just the immediate area where the floating floors (Jim **) begins, never measuring from the highest point to the lowest point in the room. After measuring Brett said, "by looking at it, you wouldn't think it would be within tolerance". That statement alone tells you how bad it looks and yet Brett refused to have the floors repaired. Then on 12/23/2020, Brett sends me a threatening letter stating that they didn’t have to complete the warranty work without any explanation and falsely accusing me of trespassing.

I reported the issues with the floor long before the 1 yr. warranty expired 03/09/2021. To date 8/23/2021 Ryan Homes states that the floor issues, and unfinished repairs are now outside the 1yr. warranty and refuses to repair. It is my experience that Ryan Homes practices match what I was told by warranty worker, Tommy ** to be Ryan Homes motto: "We are a financial company selling homes and the homes are just the postcard.” We are experiencing that statement firsthand daily; Ryan Homes Builder/NVR care more about their bottom line than the quality home they advertise they will build or the customer.

In some cases you are promised $5000.00 for using the builder’s lender. However, items such as a credit report is billed at $100.00 when a competitor price is $19.00. Read that again, 5X higher! Or when lender charges an origination fee that wipe out your earnest money and competitors charges $0. Did they really give you $5000.00? Five thousand dollars is on the credit line but recouped in the excess cost of itemized fees. This practice along with a higher interest rate is only part of the big financial gain at the consumer’s expense. Don't take my word for it, read and compare your financial documents from NVR and other lenders with a fine-tooth comb! Buyer Beware!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

My home is 8 years old! Basement water in several spots. Had the drain tiles hydro-jetted. Still water. Call Ryan? Yea, so sad, too bad, better get some waterproofing. DON’T build with Ryan. After 1 year…bye bye.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

We bought the house 2 month ago from Ryan Homes and we having a big problems with roofing. After the rain all the water is going inside the house, water is dripping from ceiling, water in the laundry room floor, water is going down the basement. I filed warranty request with Ryan Homes and told them I have emergency situation and they said, "Someone will be in touch with you," two days passed nobody got back to me. Worst builders ever!!!

Original review: July 16, 2021

Clearly everyone's experience is going to be different. Everyone's standards are different. Space in the home I like but I literally am placing a warranty request at least weekly if not twice a week and I have not been in the home a full 2 months. Starting outside the yard is terrible. The sod laid I'm sure wasn't watered properly before I moved in. I feel like I am just wasting water. I know how often, how long to water my father taught me well. The grass is just dead.

Dried paint on floors and appliances. Drywall errors (some yes that I missed on my walkthrough) but hey I walked through myself, not easy to take it all in. Loose flooring. In the bathroom's cabinet vanity panels near the floors are damaged. I care about things like that. And a brand new home should have these issues. But as I stated I will just keep submitting warranty requests til things are as they should be. They are prompt about coming out so far when I have submitted requests. But again this home is brand new. I should not be submitting the requests I'm submitting.

Original review: July 12, 2021

The sales person and the construction manager were both excellent. I'm generally happy with my house. But...when the neighborhood was complete, they left a lot of construction debris and unsodded empty space in the common areas, making the neighborhood look trashy. Repeated attempts to have someone come back to clean up the mess have gone ignored. So if you plan to build in a Ryan neighborhood, pester them to death during the building process to avoid them just riding off into the sunset when the final house is occupied, without finishing up all their work.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Unfortunately, I didn't read any reviews before I signed a purchase contract with Ryan Homes. In fact, they care more about the quantity of homes being built than the quality, their building managers are negligent, they never listen to their clients when there are errors that need fixing, they give false information, they mislead their clients, they don't follow up with their subcontractors on time, and they just want to finish the house regardless of quality. Moreover, if the buyers do not check the quality of their homes themselves and follow up, the building’s managers will pass all errors on even if they know the quality of the materials and craftsmanship are poor. I have a lot of disagreements with them because there are a lot of issues with framing, insulation, HVAC, and other issues to come...

I have a great concern that the house is not safe to live in with my family, and there will be many bad issues that I need to deal & live with later, so be careful and read many reviews before you sign a purchase contract with them... You may regret it like me.

Original review: June 8, 2021

Honestly where do I even begin, from the in house plumbing to the sprinklers, all horribly done and rushed and quite frankly didn't stand the test of time (6 years). The latest problem I'm facing is the HVAC system, all of a sudden the system stops blowing cold air and it's 90 degrees or more for 2 weeks now. I go downstairs to look at the system and I'm shocked to see water everywhere from the system the whole carpet and stairs is ruined and there's mold everywhere from the system.

I called another company to take a look and they informed me Ryan homes did a shabby job (no surprise here). They installed one system and a smaller one at that, while we have two climate controls with just one system. We've called and complained yet they keep jerking us around asking us for more details and won't Send their people out to take a look at the crap job they've done, I can't spend time at home cause it's 87 inside the house. The house may look great from outside and a great neighborhood, but the build quality is just horrendous. BEWARE. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

Original review: May 24, 2021

We just took ownership of our brand new townhouse the end of March. We just tried our AC for the first time on Friday evening and woke up Saturday morning to realize our outdoor unit was not working. We called the HVAC company that installed it to be told that they could not get to it till Monday because it was not an emergency. It was 90 degrees Saturday and Sunday and 90 in our house. I found out Sunday that my next door neighbor has the same issue. This is unbelievable that a brand new townhouse has a non working outdoor unit. I wish I had did my homework and look into Ryan Homes reviews because I would have never bought from them. Their workmanship of the walls being crooked and painted all the walls with flat paint is crap.

Original review: May 18, 2021

Where to begin- after 14 months- 5 calls for a/c failure; holes appearing in Sheetrock. Yard finished after 1 year under threat of lawsuits. Carpet disintegrating; laminated floor popping up. My opinion- 3 things you won’t find in dealing with Ryan- quality, craftsmen or ethical people.

Original review: May 11, 2021

Built one in my neighborhood. It’s a generic four-and-door, looks like it was built by a down-market builder. Might as well have gone with Domain—they would have paid much less for the same aesthetic. We are horrified they’re building additional spec homes in our neighborhood.

Original review: April 30, 2021

My home is under 3 years old. The shingles flew off on a windy day. Ryan Homes said the shingles are only covered for one year. They referred me to the contractor that did the shingle work. Bernat Contractors is the contractor. After several attempts to reach him. We made an appointment. He didn't show up and didn't call. After several more attempts to contact him, we made another appointment. The same thing happened. I will have to go through my homeowner's insurance or sue to get satisfaction.

Original review: April 25, 2021

I highly recommend chatting with someone who’s purchased from Ryan Homes before making you leave choice. I guarantee they will express their dissatisfaction. They do a good job during the buying process with keeping you updated... But once you move in you see how poorly constructed the home is. The contractors are lazy and careless and looks like a 3rd grader's work. I expressed my concern to Ryan Homes and asked for a call a couple weeks ago - have not heard from them. I would never buy from Ryan Homes again and would not recommend anyone to. Go work with a builder who takes pride in their work.

Original review: April 10, 2021

At build we mentioned windows being unlevel and they denied it and said they would look and take care of it and didn’t. The window finally cracked, and we came in with levels to confirm that the windows had been fixed. At walkthrough someone misplaced a ladder and it fell on me causing a laceration on my back. My babies were with me and we could have been killed. Then we move in and we have a huge punch list, which when addressed the issues are made worse due to lack of workmanship. It is a year later and warranty is done, and they have not fixed the items. They have caused tremendous stress and chaos in my home and do not take ownership.

The last thing we found is a foundation issue. Our walls are exposed you can see light at the bottom where the floor meets the wall. Water, air, bugs all kinds of things can come through the hole. It’s affecting my electrical bill. They’ve unknowingly recorded us in our home. The last subcontractor slammed our home door because he was upset that he had installed damaged items after the second time it was being replaced and we asked him to remove it. The list is completely overwhelming to say the least. As of 4/8/21 we noticed the shingles on our roof loose. We also have the following issues:
Crackling floors upstairs
Unstable middle banister upstairs
Carpet coming apart
Unlevel walls, ceiling, granite, vanity, toilets
No padding on the second floor carpet where carpet meets the wall
Wrong door brackets and bent brackets
Inconsistent paint color
Mailbox installed without concrete
Showers cracked
Kitchen cabinets with water damage
Doors sticking
Walls exposed to the exterior
Unfinished walls

Upstairs

We’ve reached out S.C. Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation. 110 Centerview Drive, Columbia, S.C. 29210 which is now investigating Ryan Homes. If you have experienced any issues I highly recommend you reach out as well. Twitter: @SCDLLR. Facebook: @SCLLR. Website: www.llr.sc.gov.

Original review: March 26, 2021

The worst quality! They lie to you at your home inspection after your house is complete. You point out all the shortcuts and sloppy work and they say that they will take care of it at your 1 year warranty and pressure you to sign off on a $700k house. Then when one year comes around, they send out a nice young man who I guess is supposed to win you over with his charm who says they will fix everything on your list. They pick and choose about 25% of your list you submit. They have painters in and out of your house for 5 weeks. The painters tell you to give them a container and they pour paint in it and tell you to complete the job yourself. I have cracks in my porch that I submitted to them and they refuse to fix it.

My automatic garage door doesn’t work and they were supposed to send out a garage specialist promised two month ago. Promised they would fix the grading around the house and Ryan Homes just disappears and conveniently you are not able to get in touch with them. No returned phone calls, texts, or emails. You fill out their survey they send you about how horrible their work is and Ryan Homes will not contact you or follow up on the disappointment you have with their company. They obviously don’t care. They got your $700k already.

Again, they pick what they feel like fixing and don’t even do a quality job at that. I have patches on my walls that they didn’t even paint after they did it. I guess they expect me to do it with they paint they poured in an empty cashew container I had. Then when you contact them to see what is going on and when they plan on completing the job, they completely ignore you. I don’t know how this company stays in business. All my neighbors have had similar experiences and are telling their friends to stay away from Ryan Homes. Warning: please stay far away from this company. I hear that there are quality builders that stand behind their houses. Ryan homes is not one of those builders!

Original review: March 14, 2021

Daughter went to purchase a home in Cincinnati (Kline Station). After getting quotes on the house on Thursday. On Friday she told the Salesperson that she wanted to write a contract on the house on Sunday and would be there at the agreed time at 1 pm. When we got there. the sales agent told her there was a price increase on Saturday and that the price went up 3000. They would not honor the quoted price on Thursday. The most irritating part is they never informed her until we show up on Sunday. I told her, this is not the a company you ever want to buy a house from. Totally unprofessional.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

After 4 years in our townhouse the seams in all the rooms are separating and the paint is crumbling at the seams from the ceiling and walls and around the doors. Cracks around the baseboards and above the doors are deep enough to put a credit card through. The screws and nails are popping out. One wall in the kitchen is bowed inward and the baseboard is a quarter inch away from the wall which they packed with caulk. The paint was not primed in all the rooms and is crumbling. The doors don't close properly and stick. The wood floor is already buckling at the seams. We are now paying thousands to have things fixed. Ryan Homes sells homes because they have a beautiful design but hire unskilled workers with a time limit to building the homes and do not invest in quality materials so they can make more money.

Resolution response: March 10, 2021

Ryan Homes never responded, but after further examination of our neighborhood, there are other 8 foot ceiling homes in the community. This does not to say we were not bait and switched in our purchase.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

When purchasing our home from Ryan Homes of Heritage Shores in DE, we toured the model home and many other homes in the community. Every home we looked at had 9 foot ceilings. We signed the contract and the home was built, Well the home has an 8 foot ceiling. Out of the 650-700 houses in our community, mine and my neighbor's house have 9 foot ceilings. This feature will make our house very undesirable for resale in this community. Our house was the last Ryan home built here. The developer parted ways with Ryan Homes as our house was being built. Why they short changed our home is beyond me.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Just learned that Ryan Home builders are paying less than 1% to Brokers representing Buyers. Brokers are like your guard, attorney like in representing buyers and negotiating and making sure you get good products and price. When they cut broker's fee, they basically want you to avoid using a broker and go direct and they want broker who will not want to spend time and effort covering your bases. If they have cut broker fees which is usually around 2.5%, imagine what else corner cutting has been done that you cant see!!! Do you really want to find out the hard way? Just know, You have other better choices. Don't get desperate.!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

We bought a three year old townhouse that showed nicely. Had a home inspection where mostly cosmetic issues were uncovered. Once we moved in started painting and doing a few things to our taste, we found horrible finishwork. Walls had bumps, bulges and cracks. There were gaps below most of the window moulding where the drywall did not meet moulding. We retiled our shower and found the framing was warped and nothing was square. Tiling to the ceiling was a treat as the ceiling dipped up and down over an inch required a lot of shaving on the last tiles.

So many more but here is the best at the end of the summer, we started to see fungus appear on the first floor ceiling. It wiped away and many neighbors said they just use a dehumidifier. I was determined to find the issue, opened the ceiling today and found that the ductwork was all rusted and the back of the drywall was moldy and a repair had been attempted from Ryan Homes while under warranty. Where a 2'x2' piece was cut out and replaced attached by 2 pieces of baseboard on the backside. I am hoping I can add pictures.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

I was very happy when I initially signed with Ryan Homes and the feeling that I am going to own a house of my choice. But it turned out to be very disappointing from day one, they started constructing my house. I signed in early Feb 2020 with them paying 5% down and they said it's going to be ready by Dec 2020. But actual closing is happening in March 2021 which was OK to me because of the pandemic.

There are certain things which Ryan needs to work on customer service. In my case, the sales representative did not clearly explain the layout by showing the layout and structure plan of the lot. They shared the layout after I signed the agreement after multiple requests. They explained one, and at the time of construction the layout of the lot was different to my surprise. Instead of multiple requests they did not care to come and explain the layout at the lot in time until they start the construction. If they did, at least I would know how my house is going to look like and the placement of it and to go with the agreement or not. The communication was not very much responsive and not in time when needed. Even the Ryan's customer care service was not responsive. I explained them about my situation and concerns in their survey but no response from them yet.

My lot being the last one there were not much options available with selections. I had to go with whatever they had. I felt that it's being the last lot in this community at this point, they are not giving much attention to my concerns. There are certain things which I wanted to my home, keeping my kids in mind, which I wish had the choice but they did not provide. They did not clearly explain about some facts and you will be surprised when you see them. I am really disappointed with their service. Ryan needs to work on making their customers happy. These are my opinions based on my experience so far as the closing is not done yet.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I bought a Ryan Home in 2018. I'm the second owner and it's in over 55 community. Ryan ships in all materials and just assembles them like a new toy or puzzle. My home was built in 2013 was under $300 K when new. It's only ok - a huge difference from a Toll Brother home which are much better and maybe 50-100% more expensive than mine. Yes, it is definitely you only get what you pay for. However, my home was built with many upgrades and maybe this why I bought it. This appears to make a big difference since some of the other Ryan homes that did not have the upgrades that mine has. I do not think I would buy another Ryan home.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I had a bad experience with Ryan Homes, We did closing today, after closing, me & my husband walked through the house, it wasn't clean, my entire floor ls left off with the dirt. Their cleaning crew is not professional, even their painter is not professional too. We've realized that they haven't clean our front porch & also our driveway is leftover with dirt & red mud. When I called my project manager to bring the cleaning crew back to clean my house, he said that it's not in our project. They haven't clean the house with pressure washer.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

They lied about the sqft of home, it was short by -~300 sqft. Lied to mortgage apparaiser about the size of home as well. Home is not Ada compliant with handrails. Submitted multiple requests to complete seeding the lot, haven’t heard back.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Honestly I heard all the rumors myself about Ryan Homes before I decided to build a Ryan Home and I was skeptical as well. It seemed like everyone I knew was telling me “don’t use Ryan homes they’re so cheap and not worth the price!” But honestly I’ve had nothing but a good experience with them. I can definitely tell that some of the materials they used aren’t top quality. Like the paint. I’m annoyed that I do have to repaint a lot because the paint used is cheap and shows scratches easily. it’s also matte paint which I absolutely hate. But otherwise all the other rumors have been wrong for us. People told us that if we have any issues with the home after we move in that they’ll never come and fix it like they’re supposed to.

Definitely not the case for us. The first couple days we moved in I noticed a sewer smell in the basement. I called and complained about it. They came the same day to fix it. About a week later the smell came back again. So we called again. The next day they had someone out who said our bolts were actually really loose so they tightened them and we haven’t had an issue since. We also had an issue with a toilet that wasn’t flushing right anymore after about 2 months. Again a guy came the next day to work on it. He couldn’t fix the problem so he actually replaced the whole toilet that same day. Our site manager was a great very friendly guy who always kept us up to date on our house and let us come and tour whenever we wanted when it was being built. I’m sure some people had legit issues but just know that’s not everyone’s experience. Or else they probably wouldn’t be in business anymore.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

We came in to buy a home at Ryan in Delaware. We were lied to about so many things, and didn't find out until after we moved in. We are absolutely disgusted, so just be careful before you sign on the dotted lines. They will tell you what you want to hear, and you'll get into your home and find out things are much different!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I wouldn't rely heavily on bad testimonials for a companies reputation. This builders has sold, built, and closed thousands of homes. A few of those thousands of homes have legitimate beefs but the ones who are happy, you don't hear from. The Happy owners outweigh those who aren't happy. I myself bought and have found it to be a nice, comfortable home. They had great options. Our Project manager Dave was excellent. Our neighborhood is really great! I'm in RE for over 25 years. I look for quality of product, easy financing, etc. It was all pretty easy. We have been in our home for 1 year now. Still happy with our decision.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

This is my first home and I would like to give 5 stars to my salesperson 'Christine **'. She was very helpful and detailed. Even few things I missed and I requested her to change after sometime and she did for me and I really appreciate her. Now coming to Ryan construction it's really good so far and they finished the project on time. Giving 4 star because I feel the quality of material should be upgraded little bit specially doors are pretty low qualities...Rest all looks good and I recommend lots of my friend in this community.

Thanks!

Uma

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I bought my home in 2018 and the house was built in 2005. I have lived there for almost 2 years and had a flooding each year. Once was from, what we believe, the toilet but was never confirmed. I had to pay for the deductible and the insurance paid for the repairs. The second time, apparently the sump pump could not keep up with the rain. I found it weird because it has rained harder before and had no issues. The repairs contractor told me a few of the Ryan Homes have been having the same issues. I heard the same thing from a friend of mine who works with remodeling homes. Just avoid a Ryan Home. I will tell everyone now that if it is a Ryan Home, do not purchase it.

Ryan Homes Company Information