1.33/5

Find a recommended home builder & developer now

181 Ryan Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Ryan Homes has been a nightmare experience buying a home. They sold us a model not back from engineering and didn't let us know it was not completed. So now they are unilaterally changing the garages, taking away windows, making the patio smaller than the original plans. It is no longer a house we want to buy and they will not return our deposit. This realtor Kathy seems like she would do anything for a sale, including but not limited to lying, misrepresenting the product, not advising us of changes. We feel we were duped and were mislead into buying a model that doesn't exist. Their left hand truly does not know what their right hand is doing. Their timelines are WAY OFF. Never believe 6 months build. 9 months seems to be their average, which shows how incompetent they are.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

2 year old home. 2 foundation cracks in the exact area but on opposite sides of the home, one you can see daylight from the basement. With a straight face they’re telling me it’s not structural and have a nice day. I had a company come in and look at 1 that can be fixed without pulling out drywall... they felt so bad they discounted the repair because Ryan Homes are a bunch a scam artists. Still trying to get a Ryan to take responsibility for the other one. I have photos upon request.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I am a experienced homeowner and figured that the 1-star reviews were from inexperienced buyers with sour grapes. WRONG! In less than a year of owning the house, there has been substantial defects in the drywall, heating, flooring and significant water damage. Each time, Ryan Homes would shrug and claim that the house was built to spec. The project manager was condescending each time we brought up an issue and the fixes were all cosmetic. We had fewer issues with the 100 year colonial we sold to buy this new construction house. Please save yourself some time and money and do not ignore all of the terrible reviews for Ryan Homes.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Run. Run. Run. Bought a 5-year-old Ryan Home, Pheasant Ridge Area, Dayton OH. Shingles were already missing from the roof in 2004 - replaced in 2012. Concrete driveway slabs sinking and cracked. Basement wall cracked from window well corner to bottom of floor - led to flooding of basement. Front door was cockeyed. Caulk above bay window pulled away from wall - ruined ceiling. Windows were horrendous. Seals shot in the panes. Water leaked into wall - led to carpenter ant invasion. Spent $24,600 replacing all the windows. This off the top of my head. NEVER AGAIN! Pictures available if needed.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

We were searching for a re-start in the Spring Hill area in 2015. We bought a home in the Grove Park Subdivision/ Ryan Homes/ Fox Ridge Homes, we were the 5th ones in the community to build. The home was pretty and things looked okay upon final inspection. It was one thing after the next after we moved in. Sloppy build, drywall was and to this day has many blemishes and imperfections.

After about a year of living here, in our laundry room, I noticed a wet ceiling! Upon inspection we were told that the builders decided not to wrap the AC Duct in the framework that leads into the living room as well, our entire ceiling had to be removed and replaced in the laundry room and a portion of the LR Duct had to be replaced. The granite had to be buffed, in which the company failed to finish the work leaving one side of my granite dull and needing repair. We had so many repairs that the entire Fox Ridge Staff refuses to talk to us, answer our calls because they build crap and I assume get sick of people complaining.

Advice for new builds check all doors, frames of doors, tile work, granite, baseboards. All listed were defects and we still have those in our home. The maintenance department is a JOKE, the staff is not nice and now we are dealing with a lot of rude homeowners that want this to be a party neighborhood, bad lawn care, eyesores within the subdivision. There are cars parked all along the streets, there are homes that have more than family living in them. Sheds put in front of your eyes with no style. If we would have known that this was the lower standard of living we would have never built here.

Every time I see a new person in the business office I want to warn them of what they are getting into buying one of these cheap overpriced homes. Behind these home closer to the road, the Homeowners will not even clear the land that does belong to Ryan, but once again they will not do their job. There are ATV and dirt bikes that race through the neighborhood in the warm months. Dogs that are Allowed to bark on a continual basis 10 ft from your bedroom, and so much more. There is a new builder in town, however, these homes will cost you they are running about 110.00 per sq.ft.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryan Homes?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

MY husband and I waited 10 years before we bought our very first home. We saved and made major sacrifices for our family to have the perfect home and that's what we thought we had. First the HVAC was not installed correct, we have made numerous attempts to contact them and the HVAC people just pass the blame around and don't fix the problem. Second the interior paint sucks, you can't even look at it the wrong way without it staining. The floors are not level. The kitchen granite is not sealed and is stained. I have only been in the house since Nov 8, 2017. I still have no heat in most of the house and no one seems to care. The only thing I keep telling myself is that at least it's not another apartment.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We moved into our home February of 2016. Overall, we have had minor issues and most of them were resolved. However, this past week, Nashville, suffered unseasonably cold temperatures which caused the drainage pipes to freeze and our furnace stopped working. We called the Warranty furnace people and they could not give me a date or time as to when they could come and repair the furnace. I called a furnace company (Lee Company) outside of the warranty and they came out within a few hours of my call. They could not fix the furnace because the outside pipes were frozen. I was stunned.

I asked if we could do something different to at least heat the house. I was told they could hook the drainage pipes to the main pipe to go to the sewer but it wasn't up to code and they wouldn't do it. The technician told me that the builder put the wrong type of furnace for an attic install. I went and did some investigating before purchasing a new unit and to my surprise, over 13 people in my neighborhood are experiencing the same problem. I have contacted Ryan Homes and they told me it's not their policy to reimburse me for the new furnace. I let them know it was a design flaw but no word. We are in the process of finding out what we, as homeowners in Autumn Oaks, Brentwood, TN can do to have new furnaces put in.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I've been a Ryan Home owner for about 6 years now. I discovered by a leaking ceiling in my first year that "in my opinion" that engineering did not take into consideration the amount of condensation created by the furnace in the attic had the potential of freezing in frigid temperatures. To remedy that situation I wrapped the external portion of my condensate drain with heat tape. It worked until the power to the plug adjacent to the condensate line tripped and the condensate line froze again and another ceiling leak. I thought I'd share this information to warn others!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My husband and I bought home 2 years ago. We contacted Ryan shortly after 1 year to get necessary repairs needed. We thought they would contact us, but since we bought home at Christmas, I figured it was due to holidays that they hadn't contacted us. Once I did contact them right after first of year, less than 10 days after the 1 year mark, they gave us a very hard time about repairs. They finally agreed but we had to send them a list of specific repairs. Then I had tons of people calling me to make appointments. I wasn't sure who was doing what. I figured someone would be in charge and I could show them the problems.

That wasn't the case. It was chaos. So things got missed. I contacted Ryan Homes on multiple occasions to try and get the issues that were unfixed resolved, but they would not make any more repairs. Keep in mind, the house is around $350K and it had been a little over 1 year. I was amazed they didn't stand behind their product. I have seen other things in the home and am concerned there might be a structural issue. I would never buy another Ryan Home only because they do NOT stand behind their product.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

NEW RYAN RANCH HOME IN NEW YORK STATE - Much of the construction work kept getting put off until the end of the promised closing date, then rushed to get work done. Garage door opener wasn't installed till 2 days after closing. Garage floor was filthy with dirt, nails, and pieces of metal. We were promised that it would be cleaned up before our scheduled move in date. It was never done. I had to shop vac it myself. After moving in we found 3 gouges in linoleum. Showed this to proj. mgr. 3 weeks ago- still not repaired. Cannot believe the interior paint job. I have owned 7 other houses before this one, but this is the first one that I can see the drywall seams in the ceiling thru the paint. The walls cannot be touched or the paint smudges so bad it cannot be removed. Both bathroom shower pipe holes in the drywall were butchered badly beyond the escutcheon so it is very visible. Showed proj. mgr. 3 weeks ago, still not repaired.

We also opted for the highest grade of appliances so we were astounded by getting an electric stove with the old fashioned coil rings. I didn't know that they were still being made. We expected to get a solid ceramic cooktop. The refrigerator is the old fashioned top freezer, nothing special. The outside of the front door was painted when the temperature was below freezing so the paint didn't dry, it froze and looks all speckled and cracked and must be repainted or the door replaced. The cross white trim piece that we paid extra for has not yet been installed above the garage. In their Orientation write up it says that Ryan will supply a Dehumidifier in the basement. We don't have one.

When the vinyl siding was installed the workers got mud and dirt all over the outside siding and wood trim pieces. They had days of good temperature after that to pressure wash the house but waited until the freezing temperatures arrived to tell us that now it's too late to do it because of the weather! We know that we have 1 year to get all this corrected but so far this has not been a pleasant experience. I most likely missed mentioning some other items but this is Christmas day and I am now going to try and enjoy the Holiday.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I wanted to share my experience with Ryan Homes because it is completely different from what the negative reviews below contain. Long story short, I have had a nothing-but-positive experience. Please keep in mind when reading the negative posts on this and other sites that you DO need to have a brain when working with Ryan. You also are going to need to read and sign a contract (like with any home), and fill out paperwork (like with any home), obtain a mortgage (like with any home), and do everything else that you need to do when buying a normal home. It's crazy I know but when I read the reviews below there is a common theme and that is that the purchasers did not do their homework and they thought that they were hiring a personal builder that would deliver a 100% flawless product in every regard.

If you are surprised that you need to pay more for stone over formica or hardwood over vinyl then you should not be purchasing a home. Go back to square one, research what you want and the ramifications, and then take on the task. One thing we were surprised about is that you need to buy your own refrigerator, washer, and dryer. Not a big deal and it's nice that the cost of these is not included in an interest-bearing mortgage but something important to point out when reading through the reviews of people complaining that their refrigerators and washers are broken and leaking within a year... not Ryan's issue! No home is perfect and no home site is perfect. Owning a home comes with costs both for unforeseeable maintenance and for easily planned maintenance. I think that most purchasers below did not plan appropriately and over-extended themselves and were left in an uncomfortable position post-closing.

The other scenario/explanation for the poor reviews is that the Ryan team in their area was sub-par. I get this; construction can vary widely across the country. The team in Rochester (Victor) is top notch so my experience had a high trajectory from the onset. Perhaps that makes my review location-based and location-specific but I hope it helps regardless. My wife and I decided to relocate from the greater-NYC area to Rochester NY to raise our family. We did not want to move into a house and do renovations; we wanted to build new. With one-year-old twin girls this was a no brainer and we were fortunate enough to have the option. Ryan Homes allowed us to do that.

Ryan Homes is not a "dream home builder" in the context of what MOST people might think. Ryan Homes does not have infinite options for finishes, they are not there to walk you through the site every other day, they do not store your items while building, it costs money to make changes after you give your approvals and say go, and they do not build decks, pools, and waterfall landscapes... If they did you would not be able to afford them. Ryan Homes is not your personal builder; you are buying a finished home from them that you gave a lot of input on. The dream is that the homes are new, quality builds, and you get to dictate a lot of custom items. The homes are move in ready and at the end of the day you have a brand new home. Hopefully you spent the time considering your options and you did it right. My wife and I did it right and we cannot wait to start our lives in the home.

The process for us has been incredibly smooth. Ryan has home building down to a science. From plot selection, to home selection, to finish selection, to coordination, to the final product we have not once felt overwhelmed or left behind. Confused? Sure. Worried we made the right choices? Of course! Our sales contact and Project Manager have been exceptional. So have the different sub-contractors that we met with. I cannot speak highly enough of them. They are personable, knowledgeable, always reachable, and endearing. Ryan has affiliated Mortgage and Insurance Companies. We went with the mortgage company but not the insurance so that we could bundle with our auto. There has NEVER been a shortage of information presented to us, every question has been answered, and we have never once felt duped or tricked into something. Big thanks to Ryan Homes.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

It all depends on your project manager. And ours was the best in the business. Do they get it up quick? Sure. But the efficient way they get things done is accurate. Are you going to have small problems? Of course you are. Like any builder you will. The Ryan Homes really takes to their customers and fixes these need to very quickly and timely. Where there are some problems with houses in my neighborhood? Sure. But our project manager and Ryan homes were there to fix every single problem.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

We have been in our home 3 1/2 years. So far the refrigerator, washing machine & dishwasher broke. The fridge & dishwasher breakage resulted in flooding. Now our water heater broke even though we have our furnace & parts inspected twice a year & regularly serviced. Basement floor was flooded as a result. The plumber who fixed the water heater noted that all the plumbing pipes are plastic. We have had continual problems with our upgraded carpeting & cannot use any vacuum with a rotating brush, as it rips the carpet. When we called Ryan Homes they told us to call the carpet manufacturer. We did & they told us to call Ryan Homes, who then told us to call the installer, who then told us to call Ryan Homes and/or the manufacturer.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Ryan Homes you will lose all the customers with your stupid and bad people who work for you. The moment I signed your contract it was the worst thing and the answers your employees give are horrible. The manager who built the house made us to feel really bad with his arrogant answers and the solutions they provide with problems in the house is so stupid. Even though the house is under warranty Ryan Homes will try to escape without fixing. For water leaks from tubs to the main floor they will say the tub cannot hold more than 30 minutes and it will leak to your ceilings. I dont recommend Ryan Homes.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

The home I selected at Edison Square was to be my first home purchase. When I first arrived I was greeted by Amanda (Mandy) **. I was approved through NVR Mortgage as well (these companies work together) and customer service declined after the paperwork was signed. I was mislead throughout the process and ultimately changed my mind after paying them over $6800 in earnest money. The following issues occurred:

Lie #1: I asked Mandy ** if the home was North facing as the compass on the marketing map in the office displayed a North facing direction for lot **. I was told the compass was incorrect. I found that odd but understand things get printed incorrectly. To my amazement and after signing paperwork I discovered the home WAS North facing in some capacity (NW).

Lie #2: I was set up with Guardian to make additions to the home such as a security system, surround sound systems etc and asked prior to signing if the addition of any items through Guardian would increase my downpayment. I was told "No" and that any additions would only increase my monthly mortgage amount by $5.00. Lisa ** provided me with this information. I met with Mandy ** on Monday, 10/2 and was told Lisa was not in a position to state this as she has "nothing to do" with the monetary side of the home purchase. I was dumbfounded since everything is in writing and yet no one wanted to admit this is not an ok practice. This caused me to be trapped with additions I would not have purchased had Ms. ** been honest about the increase in down payment. Ryan Homes attempted to fix this issue by refunding the amount I added through Guardian but it was not without attitude from Mandy **.

Lie #3: I specifically told Mandy ** and NVR Mortgage that I would need the entire month of December in order to complete the line items NVR requested to approve the loan. During signing I was told that would be no problem. I stopped by on Thursday 9/21 to show my friends the model homes and Mandy asked if I was ready for my closing date (12/29). I was shocked at this question since we were so far in advance and Mandy also looked confused and started typing on her CPU to confirm the closing date. I left without getting an answer to this odd transaction between us. Fast forward to Friday, 9/29 as I am dropping off $1300 in certified funds to Mandy and at this time I was told my closing date is in Nov or 2nd week in Dec. When I stated my contract reads 12/29 Mandy's dismissive comment was "well the contract reads on or before".

I thought this was quite rude as I CLEARLY stated I could not close prior to 12/29 and now that I am locked in a contract things are starting to change. On Monday, 10/2 Mandy's tone changed while my agent was with me and she stated "the contract says 12/29 so we will honor that". That was a convenient change all of a sudden since she had no problem telling me on or BEFORE 12/29 just the Friday before 10/2.

Issue #1 - Jeff ** with NVR Mortgage was sent a detailed email on 9/14 providing NVR with a schedule of pay off dates and asking him to confirm the amount to bring to closing. His reply was "thanks for the update". I had to follow-up/chase Jeff ** by emailing/calling 3 additional times before being answered. The excuse was "sorry I was on my iPhone and didn't read the email all the way". This is a poor excuse in my opinion.

Issue #2 - Mandy ** is a complete bully and did not appear to want to let me out of my contract. She kept using psychological verbiage such as "we are building you a $229000 home", "we took your $500 (as if this money meant nothing) and started building you a home". This home would've been built whether my name was on the contract or not. She also stated she had 2 other people she could sell this home to and I wonder why she doesn't just do that instead of bullying me into this home.

I wrote this review to protect anyone interested in purchasing a Ryan Home. Bring a buyers agent with you as these people are not on your side and change tone once the contract is signed. BEWARE! My first home purchase has ended in stress, anxiety, and a potential loss of $6800+ as they do not want to admit responsibility for the grievances they have caused me.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Contracted with Ryan Homes to build me a $478K home in the Old Harbor Estates in Lewis Center, Ohio and what I got was a terrible built house full of defects and poor craftsmanship that's not even worth $200K. Ryan Homes strong-armed me into closing yesterday (9/29/17) even though the house was incomplete, still needing stonework done, vanity top installed among other things. Furthermore they conveyed a home to me that was in need of much cleaning and refused to clean it. Ryan Homes will not return phone calls or emails. Please do not do business with Ryan Homes or there is a good chance you will get a lemon.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

MY experience with RYAN Homes overall has been ok. While going through the actual build, sales girl was nice. Problems I experience: Roof repairs after 3 years, crappy subcontractor's' Poor workmanship on my bathroom tile, had to have it ripped out before closing and retile. Entire lower level flooring had to be take out and replaced 1 year into living in house because it lifted and buckled. Bathtub cracked in 6 months. Insulation and window leaks, appliances that I upgraded, had issues within the first year. Our lawn had less than the required soil amount for grass to grow, we had to pay to have 52 yards of soil dropped and multiple seedings for a lawn, at our expense.

Put it this way. Your house and everything it was built with is only considered their problem for 10 months. After that you are screwed. I built my home and moved in December 2013, I SOLD THIS HOUSE!! Once I get the radon issue solved, and pay to have a medication system install at my expense, I will never look back. I will never build a RYAN HOME AGAIN, Do yourself a favor and shop around, pay a little extra if necessary because price is not quality in the case.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

My experience is long and unpleasant. I am just a house owner for couple of months. I bought from them thinking they would give good quality. The quality of everything is horrible. Floor board is starting to peel in 3 months. I ended up paying very heavy for a town home with horrible quality. No adjustment for what you wish. They won't fix almost anything. A small service request takes a week for someone to attend to. I am so disappointed with dry wall paint. You just touch it and color gone. It is like living in a card board house paying 250k?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Everything was great with the home until the project manager begs you to give him a rating of all 10's on the survey. I did not give him all 10's and he calls to complain that he will not get his bonus this year and I am the only one that did not give him all 10's. It was completely unprofessional. He acted like a five year old and I do not even know how he got this job. The survey should be anonymous.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Ryan Homes builds to code and nothing more. I can not have tile flooring because my kitchen floor has sunk in 1/2 inch due to poor floor design. The foreman only gave me 10 bags of topsoil to amend the lake in my front yard due to poor grading. It cost me $5,000 to fix my front yard and another $5,000 to fix my kitchen floor sag and my house is less than 3 yrs old. My $8,000 composite deck is warped due to poor installation. My driveway is cracked from the poor grading. They didn't disclose 50 foot building setback in backyard. They have tried to fix a leak in my shower 2 times and it still leaks. They offer a warranty on their homes, but it is useless. They do poor work.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

We recently purchased a Ryan Townhome and we purchased upgraded flooring. We picked the flooring out at the Touch of Color located near Sewickly, PA as that is where we were instructed to go. We have had nothing but problems with the poor quality flooring. Not covered for Pet damage, surface scratches. The flooring has indentations due to being soft. The Armstrong flooring is supposed to be Maple which is harder than Oak. We paid $14.00 sq.ft. for the upgraded flooring and no one wants to admit that it is crappy flooring. If I had a wish I would wish that the Ryan Homes project manager and his boss find themselves in the same boat. It's called Karma, Touch of Color and Ryan Homes will take your money and run. DO NOT PURCHASE A RYAN HOME OR FLOORING FROM TOUCH OF COLOR. THEY HAVE NO INTEGRITY.

Original review: July 31, 2017

My husband and I recently purchased a Ryan Homes in the Raleigh, NC area. The entire experience has been negative. Everyone seemed so nice and helpful when we were pursuing our new home and throughout the sales process, but as soon as you pay your down payment it is all downhill. The delays of 6+ months for construction that was supposed to take 5 months took nearly a year. We have been in the home for 4 months and have had our AC repaired 4 times, a gas leak and our granite that you cannot even set a cup on that leaves water stains. The granite is what has been my biggest issue. We reported after two weeks of being in the home that the granite was leaving water stains from cups that had some condensation on them. They had ensured us that the granite had been sealed, but they came out for a service call and removed stains and resealed.

After two more attempts of this, we requested to have them replace the granite as it was an obvious defect. We have had granite in our last two houses and they never stained. Ryan Homes refused to replace the granite. It is unfortunate, but our overall experience has been terrible and I will never recommend to any that they purchase a Ryan Homes.

Original review: July 27, 2017

We feel that we are being coerced into accepting a mortgage loan that has higher rates than their competitors, being forced to pay points in order to get closer to competitive rates, we were told that this the ONLY LENDER WE CAN CHOOSE in order to get closing assistance. This loan only seems to benefit NVR and Ryan homes.

If I could give less stars I would. We have presented two competitor quotes with much lower rates to no avail with NVR. They bait you with closing cost assistance and then charge you via points in order for them to lower your rate. Notice I did not say match because we have been informed that they do not do so. Seems to be predatory lending practices to me when you force a client to go with your lending institution, with no other options, refuse to give competitive quotes and bring additional money to the table for closing.

This is only the beginning, we haven't even discussed the false promises of delivering our house on time and expecting us to cover the costs of temporary housing, moving twice and storage fees. Sounds like our Ryan home is far more expensive than what we thought. Oh did I mention that's it's almost impossible to get your mortgage representative on the phone, or that it took them a week to get us an over inflated spreadsheet with financial scenarios that seem to only benefit NVR.

Original review: July 25, 2017

We have been in our home for 4 years. Everything is falling apart. We had to put over 2000 dollars into our HVAC system this year. It’s a 4 year old system that's been serviced regularly. The vinyl flooring is peeling up. All the baseboards and window sills are bubbling and need replaced. They didn't seal the MDF so a drop of water even near it makes it explode and it can't be repaired. Have to replace it. The hose bibs have been replaced twice, once by Ryan under warranty, and again by me after the warranty expired. Our driveway has a bunch of holes, even though we used the recommended penetrating sealer every 3 years. The garage and basement floor was cracked when we got the keys, they refused to fix any concrete issues at all. Our bathroom vanities pulled away from the walls because they were not fastened properly. Our kitchen counter pulled off the wall nearly 4 inches the first year.

Our entire extended family got to see first hand the quality they produce that Christmas. We had a water leak above one of the bedrooms on the second floor just after the plumbing warranty expired, that was a loose vent stack, the connectors were not even hand tightened. The master bath is not heated or cooled. 17000 dollar addition was not worth it at all, Its at the end of the line so it's literally 15 degrees colder in there during the winter months, than in the bedroom it’s attached to.

Our neighbors who built the same model have the same problem. Is that how they get an energy star rating. I should not have to use a space heater to make my 17000 dollar bathroom usable. Btw if you don't want square white tile that bath cost 25000 for the first step up that gives a choice of tile color. If there were lemon laws, they would not be in business. Please don't build with this company, if you do you will regret it for the rest of your life. In my opinion, all the folks working for this company should be arrested for fraud and locked up with big Bubba to treat them like they treated their customers. Bent them over and... well you know.

Original review: June 13, 2017

My complaint is with Ryan Homes Mortgage Co, NVR Inc. In fact, if I can figure out how to file a formal complaint against NVR, I will. Two years ago Ryan Homes built me a Townhome. The sales reps were nice enough, the construction manager was amazingly patient and overall really great. This was my first time buying a home, and I was extremely excited about having one built, but I also made it very clear that I was completely inexperienced and nervous about the mortgage process so the sales rep referred me to their own mortgage co NVR, Inc; she said it would be easier and the $3000 bonus off closing costs was a deal breaker, so I didn't even shop around to compare products, HUGE mistake.

At my 1st appointment I told the Mortgage lady that I didn't know anything about mortgages so I really wanted her to keep me informed and educate me every step of the way; to be brutally honest I asked her to explain things to me like I was a child, and she agreed. She asked me a few questions, gathered some information, and said "we'll go with a 5/1 ARM because it'll get you the best possible rate with the lowest down-payment which is what you told me your concerns were." I knew what 5/1 meant, but that was about it so I asked her what other options there were. She didn't explain any options, she talked 'at' me and 'over' me and talked in jargon so honestly it was intimidating.

The following weeks were met by me emailing & leaving her repeated messages with little to no response, and when she did reply she never answered the question I had asked. She would take 5-7 days to reply, was inconsiderate, uncaring, and frankly did not verbally disclose the requirements of the product she sold me. After I complained to my sales rep, I was told that the mortgage rep was actually the office manager, so basically there was no one to complain to. Great; nervous first time homebuyer with a non responsive lender who honestly wouldn't know "customer service" from a hole in the ground.

At least the processor was really nice, she lifted some weight off of me by being overly empathetic and patient and explaining every step of processing along the way. Well, come to find out after doing some research on my loan, the lender put me in a product with MIP which cannot be removed for the entire life of the loan but she NEVER disclosed that to me. Also I didn't realize I was in a FHA product (not that I would've known what that meant at the time). That seems like unfair lending practices. Just based on the research I did since getting the loan, I was familiar with PMI which can be removed once the loan reaches 80% of the value of the home... but PennyMac (who purchased my loan) assured me that my loan has MIP which never goes away. So I'm stuck in this high payment for the life of my loan unless I refi.

The funny thing is, everyone I've spoken to including other Ryan Homes employees AND other people who purchased townhomes in my subdivision ALL had similar experiences with her. Yet no one does anything about it? I thought mortgage lending was the most highly regulated areas of finance, especially when it comes to Fair Lending and Truth in Disclosure processes. This was my 1st time buying a home, and the WORST customer experience of my entire life. It's disgraceful that the office "Manager" who should be setting the example for other employees can get away with giving such bad service to so many people on one of the biggest decisions of their lives. RIDICULOUS.

Original review: June 12, 2017

So my husband and I just started looking for our first home in March 2017. Well we met with a Realtor and she took us to look at a Ryan home. We were told that all the nice homes that have been remodeled were going very quickly and way over the listing price that our chances were slim and this was the best chance we had at getting a nice home. Ryan was in their last phase of building and there was only 3 lots left and only one not near the pond and we didn't want to be near a pond with having 4 kids running around, BTW this is in Marshview Landing in Mentor. Well we were told to keep our spot we had to put down a $3,000 deposit to lock in. So we did. Not even having much time to think about anything. Well I was very nervous after this appointment because everything was happening so quickly and the price is pretty steep with what we need for our family size.

Of course we met back after 10 days to finalize our choices and it's been nothing but a headache from here on out. So many papers you have to give NVR and you can't make any changes after your 14 day app which is pretty crazy when you're a first time home owner. We didn't know what was more important to add. We have never done this before, well we decided we really wanted to add the morning room after the 14 day app, well they gave us a very hard time about adding it but they finally did. There were options we are just now finding out about that we didn't know before and we can't change anything. Then we were told our build date would be July 3rd and we would meet our PM at the end of June for our production meeting which we were very excited about because July 3rd is our wedding anniversary and my uncle who lives in Washington is coming up to see the start of our build and we only see him once a year with him living so far.

Also we found this out on my husband's birthday so it just felt meant to be. Well then when we asked about the production meeting they said, "Well we don't even have a build date yet". WHAT!!! What do you mean? When we forwarded the email they sent us that stated our production meeting and the build date of July 3rd they told us they moved our date and are building other houses before us. All these horrible reviews I have been reading is really making me feel uncomfortable and we are really thinking of backing out. At this point I rather lose 3,000 than 331,000 and having a whole lot of issues when we move in.

My husband and I are freaking out. There are things we still would like to add and we can't on top of being 60,000 dollars over budget already. They charge 3,495 to have wood floor on your stairs and then upcharge you for the wood so you're really getting charged twice. We upgraded to Level C carpet and it's still horrible quality and not very many choices to choose from, also we choose real hard wood floors for the whole downstairs and I'm nervous of them getting scratched and ruined after we have spent so much for them and had to get a color we really didn't want because there were once again not very many choices. I'm sorry but I think people should have more time to pick their things out for their dream home than 14 days. It's ok for them to change things on you without your knowledge but when you ask to change something they want to charge you 750 dollars extra and give you a hard time about changing it.

I can't believe all this and we haven't even broken ground yet. I just want to back out and this point and wish my Realtor would have been way more helpful. I'm hoping we can back out or at least this not be the worst mistake of our lives. We are young and our children mean the world to us. I would hate for their new home to become a nightmare instead of a dream come true. This whole experience has just made me sick and the way they treat their customers is horrible and then to lure you into using NVR on top of all the other crap. I am just over all of this. I would recommend for people to look other places than to give Ryan Homes a chance. Run while you still can. It's nothing but horror stories about this company. You would think they would change something after all of this.

Original review: June 2, 2017

My son and his new wife were convinced two years ago that Ryan Homes had significantly improved the quality of their construction and decided to use them to build a beautiful, expensive new home in Concord Township. This home has been nothing but one nightmare after another. Yes, Ryan Homes gives a full two year warranty on their construction, but guess what, the nightmares don't end after two years. In fact, right now, by some has three large holes in his kitchen ceiling due to plumbing leaks in his master bath on the second floor.

Honestly - do not use this builder for your home. If there were lemon laws for new homes, as there are for new cars, for sure Ryan Homes would be liable long after their warranty expires. It's just heartbreaking to see a young couple, who put everything they had into building a beautiful new home, have to deal with one problem after another. Ryan Homes should be ashamed of the shoddy workmanship their crews perform. DO NOT even CONSIDER using Ryan Homes to build your dream.

Original review: May 18, 2017

NVR Inc. is the holding company and it owns Ryan Homes, NVR Homes, NVR Mortgage and NVR Title Services. I bought a home from Ryan Homes and went with its mortgage and title company to make the process easier. The Division Manager who oversees production, lending and title services is very unprofessional (the way she communicates with you and the level of disrespect she will show is unbelievable). Their customer service is the worst (they have hired people who have no clue what a customer means). They are rude and disrespectful no matter how hard you try and give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Mortgage division is the worst I have deal with in my life (have dealt with at least 6 - bought 4 homes and 2 refi's before). These are complete rude, unprofessional (they do not even know how to prepare disclosure documents even after I pointed out to them several times to correct the many, many mistakes on these documents), they postponed my closing date because they fail to follow up.

The title services is even the worst. They will quote you the title fees well ahead of closing date so that you stay with them then three days before closing they will try to rip you off. Try to bring this up with them they will try and put you in bad light for their own mistakes. To sum it up, they try to bully you, stand your ground firm and be prepared to walk away. Do not give them a large amount of deposit because your will compromise your own leverage to negotiate with them. IF you can stay away from them!

Original review: April 11, 2017

We bought a Ryan Home as the first owner back in 2010. In 2013, our seam between granite started separating. This is our first time having granite counter top. I called Ryan Homes and they said that it was because of the Richmond earthquake in 2011 and the settling of the house. I told them that the seam separation can't be because of the settling of the house or the earthquake. It was the poor installation procedure they used. All they did was put glue on the bottom of the granite and place the granite on top of the counter. And then they connect the two pieces of granite together with caulking. There were no adhesives used between the two pieces of granite on all the granite counter top in the kitchen. Very dissatisfied with the workmanship and WILL NOT BUY A RYAN HOMES AGAIN!!!!

Original review: April 11, 2017

We are the second owners of a Ryan Home. Our home was built in 2011 and we purchased the home from the original owner in 2014. Right after we moved in the compressor in the AC had to be replaced. After a thunderstorm we noticed roof shingles were missing and that had to be fixed. We contacted Ryan Homes on numerous occasions and never received a callback. We have sent emails and Ryan Homes never responded. Over the course of a year we had the roof repaired (at our expense) four times. Every time we had a storm with high winds the shingles would blow off. This house was built in 2011... why are shingles blowing off?

In June of 2016 we had the roof replaced. The roofing contractor said the reason the roof failed was, it wasn't properly vented (the ridge vent was compressed) and there wasn't enough fasteners to hold the shingles in place and poor workmanship. It was done on the cheap too, 15 year shingles. The contractor said he sees it all the time with Ryan Homes.

It doesn't end there, we have windows that are hard to see out of because the seals have failed. The list gets longer. We had the tile in the master bath fail. Again poor workmanship, not enough grout between the tiles. We had water getting behind the tiles and we ended up with what is called, "dogleg damage". The contractor who did the bathroom said, he sees this all the time. It's like a broken record. We now have a new shower in the master bath. We have also had to replace a pressure tank on the water system. All of these things are expensive!!! This house is only six years old. It's very frustrating when the builder won't even back up their product.

Ryan Homes Company Information