2.7/5 (526 ratings)
Find a Real Estate Websites partner

Looking to buy or sell your home?

MyAgentFinder can help you find the right agent.

Find My Agent
Author picture
Written by Courtney Hamar
Edited by Vincent Landino

About RE/MAX

RE/MAX is a real estate brokerage franchise network with a presence in more than 115 countries and territories worldwide. Franchises are independently owned and operated, but listings are shared on RE/MAX’s website and other real estate platforms. Amenities include virtual tours, savable searches and real-time updates.

Pros

• Global network of over 135,000 agents
  • Mobile app for house hunting
  • Business and luxury listing platforms

Cons

• Experience may vary by office

Bottom Line

RE/MAX can help you buy, sell or rent a property domestically or internationally. We recommend researching your local agent ahead of time since they can make or break your experience, though.

Top RE/MAX Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

Our realtor ... provided us information in a timely manner, met all of our home buying needs. Always polite and informative. He got the job done! Will absolutely use him again! We...

Looking to buy or sell your home?

MyAgentFinder can help you find the right agent.

Find My Agent

What is RE/MAX?

RE/MAX is an international real estate company with a network of real estate agents that help people buy, sell and rent homes and commercial properties. RE/MAX can also help you find open houses, virtual tours and price-reduced properties.

In addition to traditional real estate services, RE/MAX has a partnership with Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. RE/MAX agents can donate to the Miracle Home Program on behalf of their clients after each closing in order to invest in their communities.

How does RE/MAX work?

RE/MAX is a network of franchised brokerages that are independently owned and operated, so each office should have its own broker’s license and real estate agents to help you with your needs.

Once you connect with a real estate agent, their services will depend on what you’re looking for:

• Buyers and people looking to rent can get help finding the right properties and navigating the purchase or rental process.
  • Sellers and people looking to lease out their properties can get help advertising their listings, holding open houses and closing on deals.

RE/MAX’s website and mobile app can also help you search listings for properties, and if you aren’t working with an agent already, you can search for one nearby by specialty and location.

RE/MAX’s services are slightly different for luxury homes and commercial properties, which come with their own listing platforms and agents with experience in those markets.

RE/MAX fees

RE/MAX doesn’t publicly share its agents’ fee rates, but that’s normal for the industry.

With most real estate transactions, fees are generally based on commission. Commission rates on real estate purchases typically range from 5% to 6% of the purchase price, split between the buyer’s and seller’s agents. While the seller technically pays this commission, the cost is generally factored into the price of the property.

Bear in mind that commission percentages are always negotiable and should be agreed upon upfront. Having commission percentages written into your initial contract should save you from any surprises later.

RE/MAX FAQ

Is RE/MAX a real estate broker?

RE/MAX is a franchise with independently owned and operated brokerages nationwide.

Is RE/MAX international?

RE/MAX has an international presence, and it offers a special search portal you can use to look for properties worldwide.

Is RE/MAX a Fortune 500 company?

RE/MAX is not on the 2022 Fortune 500 list.

What does RE/MAX stand for?

RE/MAX is short for Real Estate Maximums.

Can RE/MAX be trusted?

RE/MAX is an established real estate franchise company with a large reach both nationally and internationally. Through its website and online account portal, you can connect with a real estate agent in your area when you’re ready to buy, sell, rent or get current market information. It’s worth checking reviews related to your local agent and office, though, since their trustworthiness and performance may have more of an impact on your real estate goals than RE/MAX’s overall reputation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RE/MAX?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

I used a Remax broker to sell my house in 2021 in St Catharines Ontario. He lied to us, in writing. He engaged in atrocious violations of Real Estate Ethics according to their Code of Conduct. We have reported him to the Real Estate Commission of Ontario. I am disgusted. We will NEVER use a Remax realtor or broker again.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I purchased a house in Bullhead City AZ in December 2021. It has not been a pleasant experience. I purchased the home and have had nothing but problems with it so far. It is definitely expected to deal with repairs of an older home. It is not expected however, to be paying thousands and thousands of dollars for things that a Remax real estate agent listed falsely. I have paid close to $10,000 in plumbing repairs when the house was listed as having "New plumbing". This is not the worst part. While the plumber I had out from Roto Rooter was inspecting the property, he informed me the home was on a septic tank.

I immediately went to the listing and saw that the listing agent ** with Remax out of Kingman 2404 Stockton Hill Rd Ste A Kingman, AZ, 86401 had listed this property as on City Sewer. This is completely illegal. It will cost me an additional $14,000 to have the plumbing converted to city sewer as listed. I decided to contact **. She was very appreciative that I called. I told her I wanted to resolve the issue. She said she would get back to me. She never did. When I contacted her, she told me she spoke with her brokerage company and they had no intention on resolving this issue and blamed it on my buying real estate agent. I then spoke with 2 different attorneys which explained to me I had a very strong case. Fraud, misrepresentation, and Negligence on both parties the sellers and the seller's agent and brokerage.

I have since retained legal counsel and will be moving forward with a lawsuit. I wanted this nightmare to be resolved at the lowest level possible, and in a civil and professional manner, but it appears Remax is not an honorable company. I do NOT recommend anyone use this company for any reason! I will gladly update my review on this company, if somehow it is resolved. Until then, I will be sure to tell everyone I know about the terrible experience I have had with REMAX!

Get buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

The management of this agency is very chaotic. Jackie **, the person in charge, went back on her word and made a confusing plan, which caused a big misunderstanding and didn't correct it. I submitted the application on January 15. On January 23, the agent suddenly said that she needed to increase the rent price. I also tolerated her sudden increase. And she told us on January 23 that we could check the house, sign the contract and move in on February 6.

Yesterday, January 30th, we were suddenly informed that the check-in time would be postponed to February 13th. This led to the disruption of my entire plan and the imminent prospect of homelessness. We were two Chinese girls studying abroad who didn't know anyone in Dallas. Jackie ** even asked Caroline **, who does not belong to the company, to contact me. After I did not accept the delay, she even asked me to go to God to solve the housing problem. A fraud of a religious nature! If God had seen what these people had done, HE would have punished them. These two principals were very unprofessional and irresponsible, wasting my time and money. Very poor service!!! I hope your company can give me a reasonable answer, and please face up to the current situation of your management chaos.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I rented my townhouse in Brampton through a REMAX agent in FEB 2020. They never provided me with the receipt for their commission. I needed to submit my receipt to CRA to claim expense deduction. On 4th 2022 I requested agent for the commission receipt. Till January 12, 2022 I have not yet received. While checking with agent Kavita **, she mentioned that she had instructed Head Office to issue a receipt. I do not understand why does a simple receipt take 9 days and 'til now no visibility.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

Paul helped us through the sale of our home by providing great information, always keeping us informed, advocating for us, and offering wise counsel. He is honest and fair and we could not recommend him higher to others who are buying or selling their homes.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I am currently a home owner and looking for properties to purchase. I saw an ad and send my information. A Remax agent by the name of Brandon contact me today. He was so arrogant, judgemental and unprofessional. Don't listen to you. Speak over you. Telling me how much downpayment you need and "if you have 3 houses it's nothing". So rude.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Around 6/4/21, I received a certified letter from LEAP Property Management stating that my lease at ** would not be renewed. On 6/11/21 Jeff ** called me and stated that it would be best if I left my house with the dogs for a weekend and be gone during house showings. According to Jeff **, he has been in the real estate business for over 30 years.

On 8/15/21, Jeff ** calls me and says I am on a month-to-month lease, and they were going to move forward with selling the property immediately. I told him I was not on a month-to-month lease, and he began arguing with me for 15 minutes and would not back down. I finally told him the conversation was ending and I was going to contact Andrew and LEAP Property Management. Any real estate agent with over 30 years of experience should have said let me recheck with the owner and circle back with you. Not Jeff **, the unethical, unscrupulous Re/Max real estate agent. He wants to argue about everything. In doing a short search of complaints online of Jeff ** I found another one dated 4/25/19 complaining about him arguing and lying as this is the same experience I am having with him now. Jeff ** has a behavior pattern of lying and arguing and Re/MAX should have reined this in a long time ago!

On 8/11/21, Jeff states he is listing the house on Friday and going live. I have told Jeff on numerous occasions that I work from home and there are to be no showings Monday – Friday from 8-5. I have to then escalate this to the owner and with Jeff. Jeff goes on to tell me to have the house show ready and that it was not when he did the pictures. Anyone can go to the house listing and see that the house was in fine shape. Besides this fact, it is not in my lease to have the house show ready. If he or the owner want the house cleaner than it was, they need to hire a professional service. Again, a real estate agent with 30 years of experience should know this and be respectful to the tenant. Jeff ** goes on to say that the owner does not want double payments and I had to tell him that Andrew’s double payments are not my problem.

On 8/13/21, Jeff ** proceeds to tell me that the house is going live at noon on Friday after I have told him on three previous occasions that I cannot show the house Monday – Friday from 8 – 5 because I work from home. Jeff ** is the MOST DISRESPECTFUL real estate agent I have ever met. I told him I was going to file a TREC complaint and he stated that he would sue me. Subsequent to this I asked the owner to rein in his real estate agent. However, I have realized that is to Re/MAX that needs to rein him in.

To prevent further miscommunications, I started a group thread with the owner and Jeff. I have had to put up with guy now since June and I am done. NOBODY SHOULD TO BUSINESS WITH Re/MAX! Jeff ** has a pattern of unethical and unscrupulous behaviors that should have been reined in a long time ago by the Re/MAX Corporate Office. But instead, Re/MAX touts Jeff ** as one of their top real estate agents in Dallas. Re/MAX has the same reputation as a timeshare organization. DESPICABLE!

Original review: July 14, 2021

I was looking for a property with a buyer agent, who recommended High Bridge/Clinton/Lebanon area to me and we both were searching online. I found a property on remax.com and sent a message to request viewing. That message did not go to the listing agent but was intercepted by another RE/MAX agent named Marie **, who contacted me to arrange a viewing, without disclosing her intention to become my buyer agent. Only after I asked her to confirm her sell-side role did she disclose that she intended to be my buyer agent. I refused and completed the purchase with my own buyer agent. Now she and her broker are asking my agent for a split of the commission. This is highly deceptive and unprofessional would be an understatement.

Original review: July 7, 2021

He provided us information in a timely manner, met all of our home buying needs. Always polite and informative. He got the job done! Will absolutely use him again! We never had to wonder what was going on with our house, he kept in touch with us daily. Even bought us a housewarming gift! He’s awesome!!! Thank you JD!!!!

Original review: June 24, 2021

I have been stereotyped by several realtors now, but Shane ** takes the cake. I have tried SEVERAL times since Sunday June 20th to get in touch with him, and wanted to buy the property we ALREADY reside on, and have for almost a decade. I called Sunday, and at first he tried to make it seem like our land came with 72 acres and we just couldn't afford the 800k it was audited at. When I told him he had the incorrect property, he then called my home a "shack".

Mind you, this is a house that's over 100+ years old, but has 2bd/1ba, and huge kitchen, living room and master bedroom....Of course, it's not going to look like a Victorian mansion when the people before us ripped all the wiring out, left piles and piles and piles of trash we've tried to throw away a little at a time over the years, and we have had to repair everything out of our own pocket due to our landlord living on a limited income. He would have if necessary, but since my husband runs his own contracting business, most of the problems we can fix ourselves. He does have a lot of tools, and it looks like 'junk', but since we were not given permission to build a building, we made do, as we knew we were out growing our Lil home.

I am also an assistant manager for Walmart, and I work over 50+ hrs/week. I make really good money, have Excellent credit it took me a lot of time and effort to build, and have been approved 2x for a mortgage. We just didn't want to leave such a wonderful landlord and the land is beautiful. We do not have the time or the money to pour into a home we never thought we'd have a chance to own, especially thousands if not tens of thousands to fix everything.

We called Tuesday, the day Shane told us he had open availability all week, actually, and wouldn't do anything until he spoke with us. When Tuesday came, he only replied to one text stating he would be at the estate sale all day the NEXT day, but wouldn't respond after my husband got home on Wednesday. I made him aware we work a lot, and have limited free time as we are currently moving. I'm guessing he thought that talking to me as a woman, that I would be more gullible, but I've been the one home searching. I know all the several diff types of home loans, and about how mortgages work. He'd have been better off trying it with my husband, who let's me handle all the financials of even HIS business. Wednesday rolls around, and I get zero response from him. Today Thursday, still no response from him in text or by phone.

I find it difficult to work with realtors, because they only care about people who have money. They don't want to help you with your dream of owning your own home, but to line their pockets with cash to the highest bidder. We already purchased another home before the land was for sale, before our sweet Wonderful landlord passed away, and had explained to him before the tragedy that we wanted to move by August 15th. He had agreed to this, but now the realtor has given us a handwritten note with the WRONG dates in it to move. We were not told the days they say we were, and since the realtor is not willing to politely and professionally work with us, well YOU can rent the dumpster and clean up the yard like we had planned since we won't have the time.

I now do not have the patience, and am angry beyond belief as to how we've been treated. Thanks RE/MAX, for hiring the most pompous, judgemental, unreliable, rude realtor you could find. I hope the greedy family that's selling the 180+ acres our 85 year old landlord spent his WHOLE LIFE keeping in the family for your future generations is proud of you all, but I somehow highly doubt it.

RE/MAX Company Information