2. Legal Services

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.10/5

First American Title Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

First American Title Company (San Ramon Branch) was the title company "chosen" by the builder for the closing of my new home purchase. Obviously, I did not choose them. The so called senior manager Michele would not return calls or respond to emails. Did not answer any questions or alleviate any concerns. The upper management is clueless, oblivious and would not take any actions or pay heed to clients' complaints and concerns about their branch manager and office teams. Please stay away and choose another Title company if you can.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

My house was to close on or before today. They offered a courtesy signing near my house. I said no big deal. I'll drive to the office everything is being handled at. "Oh Mr. ** we offer courtesy signings at any office." What they don't say or bother to tell you is it holds everything up because they have to then FedEx the damn paperwork! I buy and sell houses. It's my living. It's what pays my bills. They royally screwed up on my house when I bought it too. So twice in 6 months I've been punished because of their neglect and poor business ethics. I will never again sign buy or sell a house through First American Title.

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

They handled the sale of my home for the buyer, I had a lien that had been discharged thru bankruptcy, it took 4 months after the sale to get the federal court to sign the lien removal order, 1st American was and are still holding $5000 of my home sale proceeds. They cannot find this record or that record and now their agent closer is no longer employed by them! The order was signed 4 days ago and it takes a whole 20 min to do a wire transfer yet.... no money. As a disabled veteran and being terminally ill I find their dodging both insulting and borderline unethical.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Reverse mortgage refinance. Loan closed on August 30th. They missed the deadline to wire my funds on the same day. Claimed my HOA & taxes were paid out on loan close day. Neither the HOA payment or taxes have been paid after more than 30 days have past. Never again will I do a close with First American Title.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

My experience is like so many others here, lousy. I would have given them 0 stars if that was an option. At every turn I was met with issues which were not of my doing. Eight days prior to closing they advised me I needed a quit claim deed from my non-borrowing spouse. I had a POA to do everything for him but that was not enough. The POA would only work if it was specific to the property I was buying. My husband is not in a place where a notary can walk-in and get a paper signed. It is similar to a soldier in a foreign land.

My escrow office Darcy Presley was the worst. She says "oh we'll get a traveling notary to go there and get it done". I told her it does not work that way. All notaries have to have a clearance to go there, etc. Anyway due to her eleventh hour tactics my closing had to be delayed 15 days at a cost to me of $50 per day. Totally unprofessional. I never even got a settlement statement until the day I went for the closing. Even the wire she never sent the info. She said "our wiring instructions never change". Well that's great so just send it to me so I know what to do. I don't know how she keeps her job and if I had anything to do with it she would be fired. Plus she was no help in finding a notary.

I finally found one who had clearance and could go and get his signature. I also advised we could just close with joint ownership and I'd file the quit claim after the fact myself. Again no dice. If she had told me on day one of opening escrow that we needed a signed quit claim deed signed it could have happened and I would not be out $750. Do you think they offered to pay any of that money because it was their fault. Of course not, money grubbing title company. My final thing is if you are purchasing a house and they say the title company is First American Title, run for your life.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Title Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

This story I’m about to share is 100% true, and it is not embellished. At the end, you will think “No way could they get away with this,” unless you have also been victimized by First American Title’s incompetent staff and unscrupulous legal department. Read the dozens of horror story 1-star reviews below mine and you’ll understand. You’ll also wonder why some haven’t gone to jail. If you’re interested in joining a class action lawsuit, contact me at **. I have been a real estate agent/broker for more than 30 years and I have successfully closed well over 1200 transactions. I owned an office with 15 agents. This title and escrow screw up is the worst I’ve ever experienced in over a 30 plus year career.

In April of 2019, a client asked me to use Palm Springs First American Title and Escrow for the sale of his 5-unit Apartment building. The seller agreed to provide seller financing detailed in “Exhibit A,” of the purchase contact. The loan was for 10 years with 3 major installment payments due the first 3 years. Unfortunately, the escrow officer forgot to include the 3 major installment payments totaling $161,705.70 when she drafted the note. The installment payments were clearly detailed and agreed on in Exhibit “A” of the purchase contract.

Fortunately, the buyer and I noticed the glaring mistake when the note was sent to us for review. The buyer and I emailed the escrow officer to correct it. She said she wasn’t able, and that we had to delay escrow and spend money on an attorney correct it. I convinced her it was unnecessary because all she had to do was reference and attach “Exhibit A” of the purchase agreement. She agreed and said she would take care of it. Unfortunately, when escrow closed, we saw that escrow forgot to correct the note. This meant that the seller was shorted $161,705.70. I immediately called escrow and respectfully asked her to correct her mistake. She refused. I asked her manager who also refused. I went all the way up the chain of command, they said I had to file an insurance claim with First American.

I spent a week researching and preparing a presentation with highlights, arrows and emails. I thought there was no way the legal department at First American could deny my claim this time since they were obviously at fault. I was wrong – it was denied, and their argument would insult the intelligence of a 6th grader. I filed an appeal which was also denied. I’m currently in the process of taking them to court in front of a judge, and not from an unscrupulous self-serving staff member of First Americans legal department.

While doing some background research on First American’s history with lawsuits and complaints, I found this website here with 46 negative complaints, and not 1 good one. In May of this year, it was revealed that First American left more than 885 million sensitive documents dating as far back as 2003 exposed online. The complaint suggests the members of the class affected by First American's data exposure could be in the millions, and the lawsuit is seeking over $5 million. In another recent class action lawsuit “Kirk v. First American Title Company,“ a judgement was awarded because the court found that First American was overcharging their customers with excessive fees. If you’re interested in forming another class action suit, contact me at **.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

My review is factual & never let First American Title Insurance handle your information. Mr. Dean ** uses the company (he owns it) as Vice President, but uses other board members to answer his problems. The title company has employees at Chicago Title Underwriters & they have all your financial information. My property was changed (metes & bounds) through a fellow attorney, Mr. Fred ** that alleged papers were served on me. His filings were dated MAR 2003 or MAR 2005 & never served.

Mr. ** had a fraudulent lawsuit in CA after he had sold this LOSS to a collection company. The professional licenses, the Insurance licensing is a mockery of justice. This company has a license to steal your money & all your information. Call one of the companies that are listed as First American Title Insurance or his company, First American Financial; & see if you can complain. Good luck. This leader of fraud & manipulation should be hung, but no worries, CA Attorney General is handling 400 other cases who have been ripped off.

Sounds good, & all because they are not empowered to return your money or aid in any way. My letter from the Attorney General said "find an attorney to represent me". So please do not hire or let First American Title Insurance Co. or his First American Financial company handle any escrow or financial information. They are crooks & waited 8 years for my $62,328.00 & tax office certified that it was never owed. I would NOT get title insurance and take my chances without. And be told to hire an attorney. The Vice President is an attorney & furthermore, if you prove in court that you have money owed; guess what; Mr Dean ** is in charge of that fund as well. He has too much hacking power to allow.

Remember, if you have a problem or claim; you are able to call the same crook that did it to you. YES, I AM MAD AS HELL & DON'T HAVE A CHOICE BECAUSE FIRST AMERICAN TITLE INSURANCE CO. TOOK MY RETIREMENT FUNDS & no one is EMPOWERED to return funds taken fraudulently. Probably not able to read. I'll probably get sued, but I am ready. No worry. These thieves know better. I am now 80 years old & have suffered since 2016. Do not wait for help to arrive, PLEASE, be careful because all crooks are not in jail. They are professional, licensed & set to take all your funds. They waited for 8 years & TX to CA gives them the advantage & maybe someday there will be a person licensed to make sure they are honest. Not likely, because lazy has become a familiar word. NO ONE WILL PROTECT YOU FROM THIS CROOK.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Did nothing but drag their feet and delayed disbursement of funds on my home sale. Buyer was in my house for 4 days before I finally received disbursement of funds, had to call and got lots of excuses. They seem to be experts at giving you the runaround. Then charged big money fees to wire the disbursement. Buyer beware. Would NEVER use again.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I used this company for the closing of my house. They screwed up BIG time in their paperwork, and when I went to the tax appraisal office they informed me that the house that I just closed on was not in my name, only the land. Could of been an easy fix but the lady that did my closing had a very bad attitude, screamed at me, and then hung up on me. I then tried to solve the issue with the branch manager but she would not call me back. So I went ahead and tried to contact the president of the company, and left a message with his secretary. Once again I never received a call back. So after 2 months of me trying to get them to fix THEIR mistake I had to hire an attorney which solved their mistake in less than 24hours. I would not recommend this business to anyone. They are very unprofessional and do not know what they are doing in this line of work. I only gave them a star because I was required to in order to leave a review.

Original review: April 13, 2019

135 W Delano Ave, Prescott Highland East, Prescott AZ. New Home Investor Funded. Sold for $450,000.00 (Wells Fargo Bank Loan 100 Financed). First American Title Insurance. Insured/Licensed Arizona Title Co for Escrow. All Policies were issued by First American Title. Home sold with 2 HUD NOT MATCHING. Investors not paid off. NO DEED OF RELEASE FOR THE TWO INVESTORS. One Investors recorded on Record said they were not on the home. HUD Shows them being Paid off.

2nd investor was not Paid. Check cancelled IN ESCROW and HUD SAYS FBO FOR BENEFIT OF OTHER. First American Title issued the new owner a Title Policy. The new owner was foreclosed on 2nd buy, Paid 1/2 of first buyer $255.000.00. Title Search showed first investors still recorded on record. First American Title issued an indemnity saying they had the Deeds of Release. They were never produced and First American took one Investor to court to have them sign off saying that they intended to sign off. Then put a lien on their home in another state for court cost as the Judge In Prescott said the the Deeds of Trust were only good for 6 yrs. Arizona Law is 10 yrs. Arizona is the only state that a Title Co and partner with a Developer. First American Title was a partner with the Developer of Prescott Highland East in Prescott AZ. Trust 5055? Developer was partner with First American Trust Dept for this Development. Prescott Highland East.

Not sure about First American Title Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Legal Services for you.

First American Title Insurance Company Information