1.12/5

Get matched with a recommended legal service provider now

Get matched with a recommended legal service provider now

47 First American Title Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

This story I’m about to share is 100% true, and it is not embellished. At the end, you will think “No way could they get away with this,” unless you have also been victimized by First American Title’s incompetent staff and unscrupulous legal department. Read the dozens of horror story 1-star reviews below mine and you’ll understand. You’ll also wonder why some haven’t gone to jail. If you’re interested in joining a class action lawsuit, contact me at **. I have been a real estate agent/broker for more than 30 years and I have successfully closed well over 1200 transactions. I owned an office with 15 agents. This title and escrow screw up is the worst I’ve ever experienced in over a 30 plus year career.

In April of 2019, a client asked me to use Palm Springs First American Title and Escrow for the sale of his 5-unit Apartment building. The seller agreed to provide seller financing detailed in “Exhibit A,” of the purchase contact. The loan was for 10 years with 3 major installment payments due the first 3 years. Unfortunately, the escrow officer forgot to include the 3 major installment payments totaling $161,705.70 when she drafted the note. The installment payments were clearly detailed and agreed on in Exhibit “A” of the purchase contract.

Fortunately, the buyer and I noticed the glaring mistake when the note was sent to us for review. The buyer and I emailed the escrow officer to correct it. She said she wasn’t able, and that we had to delay escrow and spend money on an attorney correct it. I convinced her it was unnecessary because all she had to do was reference and attach “Exhibit A” of the purchase agreement. She agreed and said she would take care of it. Unfortunately, when escrow closed, we saw that escrow forgot to correct the note. This meant that the seller was shorted $161,705.70. I immediately called escrow and respectfully asked her to correct her mistake. She refused. I asked her manager who also refused. I went all the way up the chain of command, they said I had to file an insurance claim with First American.

I spent a week researching and preparing a presentation with highlights, arrows and emails. I thought there was no way the legal department at First American could deny my claim this time since they were obviously at fault. I was wrong – it was denied, and their argument would insult the intelligence of a 6th grader. I filed an appeal which was also denied. I’m currently in the process of taking them to court in front of a judge, and not from an unscrupulous self-serving staff member of First Americans legal department.

While doing some background research on First American’s history with lawsuits and complaints, I found this website here with 46 negative complaints, and not 1 good one. In May of this year, it was revealed that First American left more than 885 million sensitive documents dating as far back as 2003 exposed online. The complaint suggests the members of the class affected by First American's data exposure could be in the millions, and the lawsuit is seeking over $5 million. In another recent class action lawsuit “Kirk v. First American Title Company,“ a judgement was awarded because the court found that First American was overcharging their customers with excessive fees. If you’re interested in forming another class action suit, contact me at **.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

My review is factual & never let First American Title Insurance handle your information. Mr. Dean ** uses the company (he owns it) as Vice President, but uses other board members to answer his problems. The title company has employees at Chicago Title Underwriters & they have all your financial information. My property was changed (metes & bounds) through a fellow attorney, Mr. Fred ** that alleged papers were served on me. His filings were dated MAR 2003 or MAR 2005 & never served.

Mr. ** had a fraudulent lawsuit in CA after he had sold this LOSS to a collection company. The professional licenses, the Insurance licensing is a mockery of justice. This company has a license to steal your money & all your information. Call one of the companies that are listed as First American Title Insurance or his company, First American Financial; & see if you can complain. Good luck. This leader of fraud & manipulation should be hung, but no worries, CA Attorney General is handling 400 other cases who have been ripped off.

Sounds good, & all because they are not empowered to return your money or aid in any way. My letter from the Attorney General said "find an attorney to represent me". So please do not hire or let First American Title Insurance Co. or his First American Financial company handle any escrow or financial information. They are crooks & waited 8 years for my $62,328.00 & tax office certified that it was never owed. I would NOT get title insurance and take my chances without. And be told to hire an attorney. The Vice President is an attorney & furthermore, if you prove in court that you have money owed; guess what; Mr Dean ** is in charge of that fund as well. He has too much hacking power to allow.

Remember, if you have a problem or claim; you are able to call the same crook that did it to you. YES, I AM MAD AS HELL & DON'T HAVE A CHOICE BECAUSE FIRST AMERICAN TITLE INSURANCE CO. TOOK MY RETIREMENT FUNDS & no one is EMPOWERED to return funds taken fraudulently. Probably not able to read. I'll probably get sued, but I am ready. No worry. These thieves know better. I am now 80 years old & have suffered since 2016. Do not wait for help to arrive, PLEASE, be careful because all crooks are not in jail. They are professional, licensed & set to take all your funds. They waited for 8 years & TX to CA gives them the advantage & maybe someday there will be a person licensed to make sure they are honest. Not likely, because lazy has become a familiar word. NO ONE WILL PROTECT YOU FROM THIS CROOK.

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Did nothing but drag their feet and delayed disbursement of funds on my home sale. Buyer was in my house for 4 days before I finally received disbursement of funds, had to call and got lots of excuses. They seem to be experts at giving you the runaround. Then charged big money fees to wire the disbursement. Buyer beware. Would NEVER use again.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I used this company for the closing of my house. They screwed up BIG time in their paperwork, and when I went to the tax appraisal office they informed me that the house that I just closed on was not in my name, only the land. Could of been an easy fix but the lady that did my closing had a very bad attitude, screamed at me, and then hung up on me. I then tried to solve the issue with the branch manager but she would not call me back. So I went ahead and tried to contact the president of the company, and left a message with his secretary. Once again I never received a call back. So after 2 months of me trying to get them to fix THEIR mistake I had to hire an attorney which solved their mistake in less than 24hours. I would not recommend this business to anyone. They are very unprofessional and do not know what they are doing in this line of work. I only gave them a star because I was required to in order to leave a review.

Original review: April 13, 2019

135 W Delano Ave, Prescott Highland East, Prescott AZ. New Home Investor Funded. Sold for $450,000.00 (Wells Fargo Bank Loan 100 Financed). First American Title Insurance. Insured/Licensed Arizona Title Co for Escrow. All Policies were issued by First American Title. Home sold with 2 HUD NOT MATCHING. Investors not paid off. NO DEED OF RELEASE FOR THE TWO INVESTORS. One Investors recorded on Record said they were not on the home. HUD Shows them being Paid off.

2nd investor was not Paid. Check cancelled IN ESCROW and HUD SAYS FBO FOR BENEFIT OF OTHER. First American Title issued the new owner a Title Policy. The new owner was foreclosed on 2nd buy, Paid 1/2 of first buyer $255.000.00. Title Search showed first investors still recorded on record. First American Title issued an indemnity saying they had the Deeds of Release. They were never produced and First American took one Investor to court to have them sign off saying that they intended to sign off. Then put a lien on their home in another state for court cost as the Judge In Prescott said the the Deeds of Trust were only good for 6 yrs. Arizona Law is 10 yrs. Arizona is the only state that a Title Co and partner with a Developer. First American Title was a partner with the Developer of Prescott Highland East in Prescott AZ. Trust 5055? Developer was partner with First American Trust Dept for this Development. Prescott Highland East.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Title Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

My daughter used First American to close on her first house, and they were acquaintances of our family. Who we knew had no impact, as fees, fees and more fees kept piling up. Our closing estimate said one number, while the actual costs were much higher. We tried repeatedly for better explanations of the costs, but we were told by our rep Marsha, that they were regulated. Yes, the business is regulated, but not processing fee after review fee, after other fees. Never, Never use them for a business transaction!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

First American Title Insurance Company is one of the worst title insurance company I ever dealt with. If you are a potential home buyer that lives out of town please DO NOT use this company. Last June 2018, my wife and I purchased a house in Detroit through First American Title Insurance. The purchased went as planned up to closing. All of the closing paperwork was mailed to my home of record. No instruction was attached indicating that something else needed to be done.

Last week I went to pay the property taxes for the house and found out that the taxes are still in the previous owner’s name. I called First American Title Insurance company and asked why the taxes are in the previous owner’s name and was told that First American Title Insurance Company should have delivered the Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) Affidavit to the city of Detroit Assessor's office. The closing agent also indicated that it was our responsibility after 45 days. I asked why they didn’t submit the affidavit and she informed me that sometimes the city of Detroit is behind. The closing agent sent me a copy of the affidavit. Now NOWHERE on this form does it indicate that the purchaser has 45 days to mail this form. I called the City of Detroit Assessor's office and told by a representative at the assessor’s office that it will cost $200.00 I was outside of the 45 day timeframe. The fine is $5.00 a day up to $200.00.

I immediately called First American Title Insurance Company to confirm that they delivered the $200.00 affidavit to the assessor’s office and they immediately placed the blame on me. I informed the representative that I was just told the day prior that the form had been sent and there was just a lag in Assessor's office processing time. She stated that they had no proof that the affidavit had been sent nor received.

It is disappointing that after paying all necessary fees and completing all documentation required on my end my home is still listed in the previous owner’s name 8 months after closing. First American Title offered no resolution and I dismissed to correct this issue on my own. Therefore, I am writing this review to let everyone know NOT to used First American Title Insurance Company for any residential or commercial purchases. We have purchased two houses in the past 12 months and we did not have this problem with the other title companies. BEWARE!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Donna, who handled the sell of my property requested a demand notice from Waste Management over a month prior to closing off my property that I sold. Another bill was issued two weeks prior to closing. My inept escrow agent didn't think to make a final request for a demand notice closer to the close of escrow, and because of their lack of attention to detail, I now have an account that is delinquent and in collections. When I called to have the escrow company explain why this happened, the escrow agent refused to taken any accountability or responsibility for the situation. I shouldn't have to tell an escrow agent how to do her job, or that one should probably request a new demand notice if escrow is closing more than a month after the initial demand notice was requested. I'm absolutely abhorred by their lack of customer service, and their poor attention to detail. I will NEVER recommend using them.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have been scammed many times. I thought that I was asking the right questions, but I missed the important ones. They claim to be lawyers working as a 3rd party to sell timeshares on behalf of a timeshare reseller who was shut down. They could not/would not tell me a name. Their talk is typical: claim your timeshare is sold (around $22000). They are going to walk you through the whole process. It won't cost you anything. Papers & check will be sent to you FedEx, etc.

The only problem is that they are lying. You have to pay the Florida Documentary Sale Tax, which actually exists. Since you don't live conveniently near a clerk of court that covers your timeshare district to pay it, they will ask the buyer to pay it. You must send him the money via Western Union. My buyer is in the Dominican Republic. See the red flags yet? I saw them, but their reasoning was plausible enough to get me to go along. Still lots of talk of a FedEx package containing papers & a huge check. No papers, no emails,& when pressed to provide a tracking number things began to break down.

I was given a false number because there was no package. Then the tale changed. My deed was lost & they could find it for $400. Ok, they would split the cost & it would be just $200. The story then changed from lost deed to "registration". When I pushed back they stopped talking to me. So I have disputed the Western Union transaction & I am writing complaints. Neither one will do me any good, but if it will help another timeshare owner it is worth it. Avoid: Ashley **, Michael **, Kevin **, Newberry, FL, Dawson **, Felix **.

Original review: April 26, 2018

This company were very unprofessional and did not do their job in a prompt and adequate way. The staff was rude, unhelpful and expected me to pay them for things that were not necessary. I will never use them again.

First American Title Insurance Company Information