3.8/5 (127 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Viking Microwave Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking Microwave?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking Microwave?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

This is my email to Middleby Residential who own Viking: "Hello, On 7/19/2016, I purchased the following appliances for a total price of $42,500: 1-Viking Professional 7 Series VGR7488BSS 48; Wide 24; Deep Natural Gas Range, 1-Viking VCFB5363LSS 36; Professional 5 Series Upright Freezer with 19.2 cu. ft. Cap, 1-Viking VCRB5363RSS 36" Professional 5 Series All Refrigerator with 22.8 cu. ft. Capacity, 4-Viking RVEWD330SS 30; Wide 1.6 cu. ft. Electric Warming Drawer with Temperature SE, 1-Viking Professional 7 VDOF730SS 30" French Door Electric Double Wall Oven with 9.4 cu., 1-Viking RVM320SS 24; Wide 2.0 cu. ft. Microwave Oven with 16; Diameter Turntable, 2-Viking VDW302SS 24; 3 SERIES Energy Star Fully Integrated Dishwasher with 14 PLACE, 1-Viking VRCO5240DRSS 24; Outdoor Series Undercounter Beverage Center with 5.3 cu. ft.

"I chose Viking because of its reputation as an elite brand and their strong commitment to customer service, even though lesser brands seemed to offer more gadgets for less. My hope was that a big investment in appliances would mean less maintenance headache down the line and the Viking name will preserve the resale value for my house. Unfortunately, I've had nothing but trouble since. I've had multiple issues with the fridge (4 axial fans replaced, Defrost terminator replaced, defective bolt in fridge door replaced), the freezer (rust on the ice drawer), both dishwashers (electronic card/display already replaced on one and currently needs replacement on the other, Diverter valve replaced on the other), the microwave (electronic card/display currently needs replacement. It is worth mentioning that the appliances weren't in use until late January 2017 since the house was still under construction.

"When all these issues started, I've contacted your customer service number and was referred to one of your certified repair services, Executive Appliance Service in Garden Grove, CA. They can confirm all the issues mentioned above as they made NUMEROUS service calls to my house. I was about to call them again to replace the electronic display for both the dishwasher & the microwave when I realized that the amount of times I've had to service those appliances is excessive & abnormal. I've had to purchase a very basic appliance package for a guest house at the same time I've purchased the Viking package and I haven't had a single issue with them.

"That's why I decided to to share my concerns with you and ask what could be done for me. Did I purchase what would be called a lemon in car terminology? Can you send someone to take a look at them? How can you help me with all the issues I mentioned & restore my trust in your brand? Thank you very much for your help & understanding. Looking forward to receiving your response."

Their response was to cover parts only for the dishwasher. They wouldn't do anything about the microwave and said that rust inside the freezer is a "cosmetic issue" therefore would only give me %15 off their ice drawer which came out to $218.37. When I said that I'd want them to cover parts and labor for the dishwasher & microwave, they refused. The appliances I purchased are most definitely defective. There are many similar complaints on the Better Business Bureau website. STAY AWAY AT ALL COST!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

My Viking microwave display stopped working requiring me to replace the entire display. I would not recommend ever buying Viking. They are expensive to buy, expensive to repair and are not built with quality in mind!

Get buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Viking makes very good appliances. Haven't had any major issues with it. But their warranty is excellent. For some reason the door mechanism wears out and has to be replaced every 4 to 5 yrs. Service tech will replace it in about 30 minutes, no charges.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I Upgraded our New home by Purchasing All Viking Appliances which was quite an Expensive Upgrade!! Terrible products!! The microwave had plastic covered controls on the front that within a year wore out. You could see fingerprints marks on the frequently used numbers, it looked terrible!! The microwave burnt popcorn even when you used the ‘popcorn setting’! Within a few years (after the warranty expired) it stopped working and I had to have it fixed!! The other appliances were just as bad! Don’t purchase Viking Products!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Outside of the range, all the Viking Products we have purchased, including build in microwave, built in oven, and dishwater failed numerous times and service has been horrible to say the least. Parts take months to get if you can get them at all and service reps pretty much just play guessing games on what to do. Do yourself a favor and go buy a GE or KitchenAid. Viking is all smoke and mirrors and not a "high end" brand they claim to be.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Consumers BEWARE. Viking products are overrated and no better than buying a cheap brand. We purchased a Viking Built-in Microwave Hood (VMOR506) and Viking Range (model # VDER5304BSS), installed November 6, 2018. After just TWO weeks use (Nov 22), the microwave and vent QUIT WORKING. Finally SIX weeks later (Jan 2, 2019) the microwave was repaired. The range also needed repair... but lucky us... that was just the external decorative lighting. Throughout the process, the Viking Customer Service has not been helpful.

We are told company policy is NO replacement unless the product breaks down consistently and that we should view the repaired product as a NEW microwave. The Viking message is simple: "we sell you a defective product and made our profit." Meanwhile you get to wait 6 weeks for the repair (no microwave, no vent, no convection oven) and hope that the repair indeed "makes it like new". And if it fails again after the one year warranty is up...well that's the consumer's problem.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I bought 1st one mid Year 2015, the panel buttons caved in, rendering the microwave unusable, at 18 months. Purchase a second identical microwave July 2018.

Second microwave had no updraft of exhaust, tons of exhaust flow from the top, repairman couldn’t determine where exhaust was coming from. Magnetron did not operate properly microwave, sounded as if motor was straining, lagging and power was not even. Excessive condensation built up inside door. Viking replaced microwave instead of trying to fix it. It took about a month to get replacement. I received a call at 445 that installer was Enroute and should be here by 6pm same day.

Last night I got the 3rd otr microwave, in 3 years. Mentioned that updraft exhaust was not good, microwave #1 had excellent exhaust (updraft). Was told by installer that these don’t really operate that well. Probably the most honest thing I’ve heard. Love my Viking range. Hate the microwave, wouldn’t buy another Viking microwave, yes I realize 80% are made by Sharp. Would look to another brand.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

The microwave LCD screen went. It is sad a brand like Viking makes an inferior product. The service visit and the repair cost is more than a new microwave. I wish they made a better product or at least had a better warranty...

Original review: May 30, 2018

Our Viking Microwave was 5 years old when it stopped working. We had an authorized service person come to fix it, at great cost - more than most new microwave ovens cost - but within six weeks it was broken again. We got the same repair service in, but again it broke. Now we need to pay for the company to pick up the microwave and fix it - all on our dime. When I suggested it wasn't worth it, the service guy agreed - "especially as it only costs $1400 to buy a new one!" - #nomoreviking.

Original review: April 3, 2018

The built-in microwave is just one year old (I moved-in in 12/2016) and the panel light is getting dimmer and dimmer. When I called Viking technical support they said the whole control board has to be replaced. And it is out of warranty. This microwave has been used less than once per day.

Viking Microwave Company Information