Call toll free
3.16/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TotalProtect, along with its parent company Cross Country Home Services, is a leading home warranty provider with 37 years in the industry. TotalProtect offers coverage for appliances, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical and more. The company offers an industry-leading 6-month guarantee on covered repairs.

3167 TotalProtect Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I filed a warranty repair on 12/18/2018. A repair man was dispatched shortly after and declared that the washing machine was not feasible to fix due to the price of the part that was broken. He provided me a receipt of service and stated that he would return a call back to the warranty company stating that he could not fix. The warranty company never got back in touch with me so after my return call, they kindly informed me that they would have to send another repair out to get a second quote. The second repair man was called by myself to setup service, but after explaining the details to him about the broken part, he refused to come out citing the same issue as the first repair man that initially came out, that the part needed for repair exceeded the cost of the product. I then returned a follow-up call back to the warranty company only for them to refute both repair-mans diagnosis and insist that Sears appliance repair comes out to fix the product. The Sears repairman showed up, diagnosed the same issue and the defective product as the first two repairman, and quoted us a $640 dollar part needed for repair, that would take 1-2 months to arrive from Germany. I recently followed up twice with Total Home Protect only to be told both times that the decision to repair or replace lies in their hands(Sears) and we will have to wait. The total process has been going on for 2 months since the original warranty call was made, and since January 20th since they informed us that we would have to wait.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

This was my first big claim i had to submit and i am very disappointed because it did not go well and that there are no service providers in my area to service my water heater. Even though when i signed up with Total Protect Home Warranty they stated they have plenty of service providers in my area. I had to wait a week for Total Protect to look for a service provider before they gave me authorization to find my own service provider. During that week my water heater was leaking a lot of water which my wife and i had to clean up 2-3 times a day for a week.

I found my own service provider in 1 day and my water heater was replaced that same day. I am also disappointed that i had to pay upfront and then wait to get re-reimbursed from Total Protect. I submitted my paperwork the same day that my water heater was replaced (7 Feb 2019) and Total Protect is telling me it can take up to 4 weeks to receive my reimbursement. This is Not Acceptable! I hope my next claim experience will be much better, if not then i will probably look for another Home Warranty company to switch too.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Ronald, I'm sorry to hear we've disappointed you, and I’d like to expedite your reimbursement due to the situation. I’ve located your account and my team will reach out to you directly to assist you. Sincerely, Angela

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I switched from American Home Shield to TotalProtect Home Warranty and I'm satisfied. I could go online or call in to file a claim but I'm old school, as far as messing with the computer and I don’t mess around with it too much. I call my claims in and they’ve been taken care of. Also, when they email, they send a picture of the technician that’s coming out.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Ira, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We’re glad to have you as one of our valued customers. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience and it’s great to know you have been pleased with the service we provided. - Austin

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We’re well pleased with TotalProtect's services thus far. Most recently, we weren’t able to let the water out of our bathtub and the contractor that they sent for that was superb, very friendly and informative.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Rose, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were pleased with our service contractors as well. Thanks for your kind words. – Amanda

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

There was an issue with the chimney and I filed a claim for it with TotalProtect Home Warranty. They sent people out who checked into it and got the thing to work.

Oliver, Excellent service is what we aim to provide! – Angela

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I’ve been using TotalProtect Home Warranty for about six years and they're very timely with getting things done and it's not a complicated process. We usually have to schedule an appointment with the service provider and that can take about a day but they're prompt, efficient and quality people. Waiting for a part can be a trauma though, but it depends on what the part is. Sometimes, it’s a long process and I have to constantly follow up with the folks to come back out. The worst case has been about 10 days. 10 days without a stove is bad but normally, it would only take about two days. Also, there was one situation where they have to come out for a third time but normally, I don’t have to call them back time after time and I don’t have to pay the deductible again when they come out for the same thing in a short period of time. Overall, I’m satisfied with TotalProtect Home Warranty.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Hilda, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. - Austin

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I've had TotalProtect for several years and I have been very pleased with them. I go online or over the phone whenever I submit a claim, but it is easier for me to do it by phone. They sometimes send different companies and I have always been pleased with them. The work performed for my recent claim in my rental property in New Jersey was good.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Maria, Our goal is to provide our homeowners with superb service and we are happy to hear we have met this objective. Thanks for sharing! - Angela

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I purchased a total protect premium Home Warranty in December. On February, my boiler had a crack and the plumber recommended to change it. They denied my claim because, and I quote, my contract was too recent for them to cover that. Even though my warranty was fully applicable and there were no limitations for it to apply. As I challenged further, they said that there was some rust on the pictures the plumber and I sent and that was an indication of a preexisting condition. Both, my plumber and I mentioned that this was not preexisting and the rust was not even connected to the boiler. Also, I service my furnace every year. Still, they are denying the claim. I already submitted a claim on BBB to follow up.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Iliana, I appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. To ensure you have received the full benefit of your policy, my team will complete a thorough review of your claim and follow up with you personally to address your concerns. Sincerely, Amanda

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I placed a claim February 3, 2019, because my refrigerator knocking loudly and was no longer getting cold. This is the third time Total Protection Home Warranty Company has been contacted, whereby each time I’ve lost all food in the freezer and refrigerator $300 to $500. Serviceman came (Jessie, Sears Contractor) who shared with Total Protect that the compressor was no good, poor condition. Total repair stated they would contact me regarding choice to replace refrigerator with a particular one or issue a check of same value. Jessie stated no charge for visit and left. It’s February 12, 2019 and I have not received a call from Total Protection. I noticed bright lights in front of my home, at approximately 8:30PM. I opened my front door and it was UPS coming to my porch. I asked, “Who were the boxes from?” He stated he didn’t know and that he was just delivering packages and left. Two boxes were left that I didn’t order, nor did I approve, nor did anyone from TP contact me about sending me anything. TOTAL DECEPTIVE business practice per Total Protection Home Warranty Company. Cancelling warranty and UPS can pickup what they left and take both boxes back to who ever sent them. Buying a new refrigerator. Old refrigerator not worth repairing.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Brenda, I’m sorry to hear that your warranty experience did not go as you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and the decision to repair or replace a covered appliance is at our sole discretion. I will have a member of my team follow up with you personally once your claim has been reviewed to ensure you are receiving the full benefit of your policy. Thanks, Christine

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I’ve had TotalProtect for about four years now and when I call them up, their people are kind and courteous. They also react very quickly. They call the service people at the right time, make the appointments and do everything they’re supposed to do. I had a claim with them where they had a plumber come out, and he was fast and did a good job. We also had a refrigerator claim where somebody came in and did all the problems there. With my latest claim, however, their contractor just doesn’t seem to be able to react or fix the issue with my furnace on a complete basis. The problem started in January when it wouldn’t come on. They cleaned some flame things on the machine and it ran for almost a month, then all of a sudden, it went out a week ago. The contractor came out, looked at it and said that it needed a safety switch. They came back the next day with the safety switch and put it in.

That was on Feb 6th, and today it’s the same problem again. It’s not registering or working. It’s cold at home since the heater is not working, and we have some things we have to do, so this has caused shifting around a lot of things for me that I didn’t think I’d have to worry about. I hope I get the heat, but I’m not excited about the company that’s trying to fix my heater. TotalProtect should be careful about who they partner with and check them out closely. They might wanna go looking somewhere else.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

John, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know you were pleased with the service. Should you like further assistance please respond to our message with the best time to reach out to you. - Austin

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

On Saturday morning we woke up to a leaking hot water heater. I called TotalProtect and they referred me to a local plumber. The plumber came out the same day and said we need to replace the hot water heater. He turned it off and said they would possibly come back Monday after they submit the claim. We did not hear back from them until I called them on Monday. They said it would be Tuesday. They didn't come out til Wednesday. They came out and replaced the heater. My main concern is that we paid the 125.00 deductible but had to pay the plumber 645.00. My understanding was that the 125.00 would be the only thing we had to pay. This was very misleading.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Joyce, I’m sorry to hear that your warranty experience did not go as you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items and conditions which may not be covered. We’d be glad to reach out to you to better explain your coverage, if you’d like for us to give you a call directly, please provide the best time to reach you. Sincerely, Amanda

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

My family has had this insurance for the past 3 years and have had nothing but problems. We do maintain our home so thankfully we didn’t need to use this insurance very much but for the 2 times we did use it; it was the worst experience.

Our hot water heater stopped working the day before Super Bowl Sunday and Total Protect was not able to find a servicing provider in our area. We live in the mountain and its the middle of winter and I have snow in my drive way. We had no hot water from Saturday night and the claim was filled out Sunday morning. It was now mid-day Monday and they (Customer Service) were telling me that they (Dispatch) are still unable to find a servicing provider for my area (according to their website there are 40,000 providers). I was scheduled for surgery on Tuesday and for me to be discharged from the hospital I needed to be able to shower/bathe at home. I was told that I would get a phone call once they found someone to come and look at my water heater. I was not able to just sit there and wait for phone, I needed to do something since my family had been taking showers, brushing their teeth, WASHING DISHES in cold water.

I called back hoping that I can help the process and call other servicing providers that they were contracted with them. I was advised by Yani that they Total Protect has a calendar and each day is assigned for a certain servicing provider and there was no available servicing provider in my area and there was not telling when one would be available. I wanted to know my “out-of-network” benefits and Yani then said that there is no such thing and that if I went with a provider NOT provided with Total Protect then I would be responsible for the charges. The only options that Total Protect were giving me was to wait for a call from Dispatch when they find a servicing provider (mind you she searched their “database” for a provider and there was none) or just pay out of pocket for a new water heater. Then she told me that if Total Protect can’t find a provider then I will be able to choose one and will be reimbursed as long as I provided the bill and emailed to their support address. I was confused as to why I had to wait to be told to find my own provider. If she searched the database and came up with nothing then what will Dispatch look at? When asking what I would be covered at she said that I would be covered (didn’t tell me how much) and that I asked her what other options I had; I needed to do something especially since I was having surgery the next day. They refused to tell me which other providers are in my area. I then requested to speak with a manager who might have other resources then Yani. She came back on the line basically telling me that she was not transferring me to anyone because they will tell me the same thing. I cried in frustration on the phone for a moment but did not disconnect the line as I was already an hour plus minutes invested in the call. She put me on hold then got back on the line to tell me Herbert who is a Case Manager will speak to me. I asked Yani and Herbert for ways in which I cam help myself since all they were telling me was to wait for a phone call once dispatch found someone in my area and they were not able to tell me when that would me. Herbert was repeating the same thing over and over to me. He said that my options are to wait for the call and when the call would come, Total Protect would have a servicing provider or they would allow me to choose my own provider. They had to be liscences and I needed to submit the recipe to Total Protect and they would rehimburdse me. Herbert also checked the database and didn’t find anyone in the area either. I did cancel the surgery and later that afternoon I received a call from Janet who advised me that where was not provider and I am able to get my own and all I would need to do is submit the bill to Total Protect was able to get the work started right away. It wasn’t until Friday that same week where we got an email saying that the only option we had was a buy out option of 1/3 of the total cost for a heater; we had 15 days to accept their check for $1400. Yani, Herbert, nor Janet NEVER discussed this BUY OUT OPTION. It is soon difficult to speak with someone who has any sense of humanity or sense. Total Protect did not stand by what their employees told us and never once showed any kind of remorse, empathy, or urgency to my situation. We went though another service provider for the hot water heater (installed 9 days later from a provider that works with HomeDepot (GodSend), I have switched home insurance company, re-scheduled my surgery, and will make sure this review is posted everywhere for all to read and be able to make an educated decision and NOT get Total Protect Home Insurance.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Hi Sonya, I’m sorry to hear that there was a delay in assigning a service partner to your water heater claim and that we lost you as a customer. Please know we would never intentionally inconvenience our customers and apologize for any misunderstanding. We appreciate the time you took to provide your feedback. - Austin

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

We've been in this house since 1996 and we've had TotalProtect almost the whole time so that we wouldn't have to pay out of pocket so much. Things are done so smoothly when we submit a claim. I usually do it on the phone. It's very efficient and fast, and everybody has been friendly. The reps have been very helpful, and our interactions have been perfect. Through the years, we've had issues with our old washing machine and dryer, and the contractors that have come out were able to fix the problem. Just recently, we had somebody out to fix the issues with the ice maker in our refrigerator. The contractors have been wonderful, and the quality of their work is a 100%. All in all, it has been a great experience with TotalProtect. They're reliable and efficient. We're glad we have them and we'll keep them on.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Maria, I'm thrilled to hear of your awesome warranty experience! Our goal is to provide fast and efficient service, and I'm glad to hear we delivered. Thanks for sharing! - Christine

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

We have a lot of appliances and getting a warranty made sense with all the things that could come up. Submitting a claim with TotalProtect has been easy, but my father was debating back and forth on whether or not the warranty is worth it. One time when he called, there was some misunderstanding. They were saying it was pretty high for them to have somebody come out and repair our faucet. They thought it was a waterline but it was just the faucet. So, that was iffy. But other than that, we’ve had good success with TotalProtect and an easy and smooth experience.

When we had the issue with the faucet, we had to turn the water off in that area. TotalProtect wasn't able to get anybody here, so we ended up having to go with an outside company. Also, when we had our washing machine leaking, we had somebody out within two days. However, we had a hard time getting somebody to come out and we had to pay out of pocket for that. Other than that, the technicians that have come to the home fixed everything that was broken, so it has been great.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Shana, Thank you much for sharing your claim experience with us. We strive to provide an efficient claim process for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with the service we offered. - Angela

Insufficient response received
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have a five year contract with this company, and they still treat customers as if we owe them something! The short version of my current issue with this company ... in November, the company stated a check would be sent to me to cover my washing machine claim. (Side note: the check would not even cover half of the cost of replacing something like the washer I currently had - so I had to get a cheaper washer to even get close to the check covering half). The check was not mailed until Jan 3rd. As of, Feb 11th, no check. I was told I would have to wait 45 days - at that time I could get another check for a $30 Fee!! Or, I could wait 90 days and get another check for no fee. If I wait for the 90 days ... it will be May 2019 before I get a check for a claim that was submitted 10/30/18. I was told that it's not THPs fault the check was lost ... well it isn't mine either ... maybe they should have tracking on their mail!! So, I get punished because the check is lost. I asked where in writing there is notification to the customer about these fees and wait period. I was told that its a "process" so there is nothing in writing for the customer. Sounds like a scam to me! I was also told that there is no one to talk to above the supervisor ... and that she's so knowledgeable in her job that she doesn't have to be evaluated! (I asked who evaluates her as I wanted to speak to someone above her.) I have sent an email to the company in hopes that I will get a response. We will see ... until then, I will continue to post negative reviews about the company. As I said earlier, this is just my most recent issue with the company. Our pool repair man won't even deal with them anymore because he never got paid after repairing our pool! Anyway ... find another warranty company!

j

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Total Protect Home Warranty falsely advertises that they will take the worry and financial burden of expensive Home repairs off you mind by using their TOTAL PROTECT warranty service. "Let Total Protect Home Warranty take the worry out of Home Repairs"......Total B.S. is what they are in reality.

My heater recently went out in my Condo. They send out a local repair company that agree's to do repair work and charge you a $100 service call fee to boot. (so much for reducing your financial burden with home repair INSURANCE)

The repair guy sends Total Protect a repair estimate which then simply forward to with the sattement "congratulations, we are going to replace your heater system but you have to pay for the LABOR to install it which totals $1,789.00. Please make arrangements with the service company to pay them and by the way IF YOU DONT PAY THEM WE WILL NOT INSTALL THE HEATER AND WILL NOT GIVE YOU A DIME IN THE FORM OF A CREDIT!....PAYUP OR GET LOST MR CUSTOMER!

I replied to the email stating that they advertise "Let us take the financial worry out of expensive home repairs" insinuating that when these systems fail you are not going to have to pay money if you purchase "failure protection insurance" in the form of a home warranty plan.

Then they reply with paragraph 4, 5, 6 containing a bunch of fine print stating that they oh by the way "WE HOPE YOU DONT READ THIS WHICH IS WHY WE HIDE IT FROM OUR WEBSITE AND NEVER POINT THIS FACT OUT TO YOU BEFORE SIGNING" that we do not pay for installation associtaed with repairs including electrical, duct work, associated with replacement systems. This is where they are unfair as well since the ductwork and electrical repairs are covered in the policy but not if they are associated with a replacement. What difference does that make anyway other than a way for them to avoid paying for the repair cost.

They make it very difficult to call them directly since you will continually be directed to the service repair company and not "customer service" I actually had to call and say I was not calling about a claim and then was routed to customer service. Thats when you find out you have an annual contract and if you cancel you have to pay the contract plus fee's up to the cancellation month.

Folks do yourself a favor and pay a savings account $50 a month called home repair money. Home Warranty Companies are greedy, deceitful liars that misrepresent material facts and are guilty of FALSE ADVERTISING. By the way if you dont beleieve how bad Total Protect Home Warranty really is, go to www.ripoffreport.com and read 25 ripoff reports about this company by other consumers like myself.
I personally will now embark on a very large and long social media,and internet campaign to alert consumers about these unscrupulous, rip-off warranty companies, especially Total Protect in an attempt to put them all out of business. I have already hired five IT people on FIVVR to work up a campaign to blitz this industry back into the dark ages. I may have been forced to pay $1,800 but this revenge will be sweet.

www.ripoffreport.com

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Ronald, I appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items and conditions which may not be covered by your warranty. In this instance your warranty addressed parts and labor for the failing item, and the out of pocket expense was related to modifications and upgrades which were required in order to install the new equipment. Since those items were not failing, they do not qualify for coverage. This information can be found in the terms and conditions of your warranty booklet that was mailed to you upon enrollment. We regret any confusion or misunderstanding which occurred. Respectfully, Austin

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Submitting a claim with TotalProtect is not difficult at all and I do it over the phone. I filed a claim for my dryer and another for some work on my showers and toilet. The technicians who came out here were very pleasant. They fixed one of the showers and the toilet. But they had a problem with the other shower that was leaking. I called the other day, and they said they were having a problem getting something. I haven’t heard anything yet but other than that, everything seems to be fine right now.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Gail, We appreciate you taking the time to share your warranty experience. We do our best to provide quick and reliable service and we thank you for being a loyal customer. Have a great weekend! - Austin

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

My home was built in 1970 and we bought it three years ago. We put in a new dishwasher, new stove, new washer and dryer and refrigerator. We also bought the top-of-the-line Samsung appliances. Those are very expensive if I was to replace them and if one fails, that’ll be a lot of money to fix. So, having a warranty is very valuable. My experience when I submit a claim to TotalProtect has been very positive. I do it over the phone and I normally have very good experience with their claims rep.

When we had Sears come out to work on our washer and dishwasher, the first technician never diagnosed anything. He just came in and told us that we needed a new motor and a new washer for the dishwasher. He also said that we needed new tubs for the washer. We went for 45 days without a dishwasher before we ever had someone to come back out to fix it. And when a service technician came out to put the motor in the dishwasher, he told us that there was nothing wrong with the motor. He said that it got some debris buildup on the disposal section of the dishwasher. So, he didn’t have to put a motor in it. He cleaned up the disposal and put a new disposal blade on the dishwasher motor.

It was the same with the washer that we just got fixed in late January. The service technicians came out to put the new drums on it because they had problems getting one drum. They pulled the washer out and told us there was nothing wrong with the drums and that we don’t need them. It just needed to be tightened back up. The technician tightened up the mounting bolt that holds the front load washer drum in place and that’s all it needed. While the first technician that came out didn't do anything, he just ordered the parts that were unneeded. Other than that, TotalProtect is one of the best warranty companies.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Raymond, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. - Amanda

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I recommend TotalProtect because it helps out in the long run. I usually call them and they're very polite and helpful, and they always make sure they get everything on our claim. Plus, they ask if I have any other problems I'd like to discuss with them, and all seem to go very smooth. The techs are also very polite, and they answer any questions I might have. They seem to be very proficient in their work. They do all the checking and testing that they have to determine what the problem is.

We only had trouble with one who didn't seem to have too much of a grasp on what he was doing. We had reported that our refrigerator was acting up and when he came, he said that we just needed to reset it, which was unplugging and plugging it back in. It worked, but he didn't seem to test anything. He just said that would do it, and he left. That very evening, it did the same thing and went out. We called again and TotalProtect sent a technician out who right away checked a few things, and he determined it was the thermostat. He replaced it 'cause he had one on his truck, and it's worked fine ever since.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Michael, Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Christine

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Submitting claims with TotalProtect Home Warranty works out extremely well. The contractors that they’ve sent out have been excellent. They were very prompt, efficient and they really knew what they were doing.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Judith, Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing! We are constantly updating our processes to better our customer experience. We're happy to hear we have delivered. Have a great day! - Angela

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I have total protect for over 8 years. On Tuesday my heating was gone I called in total protect and they set up an appointment. Jdl came and told I need to replace my gas valve due to lack of maintenance. And total protect did not cover. They dint have courtesy to notify me that they denied the claim. When they have price change in monthly payments or my deductible they notify couple of times . Me and my husband tried to reach total protect couple of times on Wednesday and wanted to speak to the manager which they don’t have available on duty still waiting for manager to call back it’s friday. I had to call another company and get my heater fixed they wrote it down in writing that my valve dint go bad due to lack of maintenance but due to wear and tear. I have recommended so many friends and family and been a loyal customer and this is what I get. Don’t get Total protect imagine a company without a manager on duty

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Farhana, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not the level of service we intend to provide and I understand your frustrations. We will review your claim and have a manager reach out to you directly. – Thanks Christine

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I had a issue with the air conditioning unit and TotalProtect made arrangements, then they came out in a few days. The tech explained to me what the problem was. He went outside, looked at the air conditioning unit, came back in a few minutes later and said that it was a capacitor. It was a minor repair and he was done in about a half hour. It was an excellent experience. I had a neighbor who was looking for this type of coverage, and I gave them the flyer I received from TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Frank,  It is our pleasure to give great customer service and offer stress-free repairs. Thank you for taking the time to share your claim experience with us. - Austin

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Home warranty is just one of those things you get in case you have a problem. It's a new house and we're new homeowners. Recently, I've done claims submissions with TotalProtect over the phone and I've really not had a problem. I've always been told to call the contractors then they set up a time with me. And I've been satisfied with them.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Mr. Cook, Thank you for letting us know how we are doing! We are constantly changing process to better our customer experience. We're happy to hear we have delivered. Have a great day! - Austin

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Hot water heater leaking 2 days before Thanksgiving. I am currently paying $41.95 monthly and have been with Total Protect more than 10 years. Payment was set up for Total Protect to with-drawl monthly thus, I never receive a bill, write checks or make on-line bank payments. As a result, I forgot I had this service and in a rush to have it replaced before the Thanksgiving holiday, contracted with Lowe's for a new heater and install. I know the policy is that Total Protect is to be called first but under the circumstances I forgot. I have asked to be reimbursed the amount that Total Protect would have paid out had I gone through the proper channels and called them first. However, they have refused to do so and have indicated the sole reason that I didn't call them first. I believe this to very unreasonable. I'm not asking for the amount that I actually paid out but simply the amount that they would have paid the vendor had I contacted them first. Management steadfastly refuses. Can't believe this is the thanks you get after having been a loyal customer for so many years. Will definitely be looking elsewhere for future coverage.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Gordon - As with all home warranties, coverage is very detailed in the agreement and your policy specifically states all work must be authorized by us in advance. I do understand your concerns, and will be glad to have a member of my team call you personally if you have questions regarding your coverage. Sincerely, Jessica

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My dishwasher started to smell of burning and then stopped working, I called for service and was told the problem was that i spilled water on the power wire which is behind the unit and would have been impossible.

I paid a licensed electrician who said the problem is the dishwasher is shorting the electrical circuit and could cause a fire.

When I told Total protect this they said they already denied my claim. Also the people you speak with on the phone are ignorant.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Mitchell, We're sorry to hear that your dishwasher claim did not go as you expected. We'd like to take another look at your claim to ensure you've received the full benefit of your warranty. My team will investigate and follow up with you personally. Thanks, Amanda

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

We’ve been with TotalProtect Home Warranty for so long and our experience in submitting a claim has been excellent. They’ve really seemed to stay on top of things. If I call with a problem, I usually get a response right then and there over the phone as to who they’re gonna contact to help me with the problem. Then usually, I get a call from one of the contractors either that same day or the next morning. Their fast service is the main thing. I don’t have to worry about struggling with a broken appliance while we wait for a service person to come.

The contractors I’ve had have also been professional and on time. With the last one that I dealt with, there was a guy and his partner. They spent about 20 minutes working on my furnace and they pretty much fixed everything. But one of them told me that there was one part that he needed to get and he had to leave. I figured he would be back the next day but he came back about an hour and a half later with just the part and finished the job. He also told me about something else that I needed to get for the furnace. It was a new filter which wasn’t included in their service. But they gave me the part numbers and where I would be able to find it. He also told me that if I run into any problems getting the part, I should let them know and they would help me take care of it. They were really helpful.

I’ve talked about two other warranty companies with my friends and they told me that sometimes, they get a good response but sometimes, they don't. After I told them about TotalProtect, one switched and he said that it was a good choice to work with them. Go with TotalProtect Home Warranty. They’re a good deal. The service isn’t expensive and the deductible isn’t bad.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Walter - We are delighted to hear you are pleased with our service and have recommended your friends. You have been a loyal customer for many years and your feedback is truly appreciated. Sincerely, Jessica

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have submitted three claims to TotalProtect and the process was very easy and seamless. I did it online and they sent somebody else who got them fixed. The claims reps were very professional, prompt, courteous and I had no problems. TotalProtect has been excellent and I’ve been very pleased. I’ve been a customer for years and there was only one time that the person did not do well. I called, they sent somebody else and it worked fine. TotalProtect took care of it. I tell everybody I can that it was the best decision I made to sign up with them.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Carson - We are glad you are receiving the service we aim to provide. You have been a loyal customer and your feedback is appreciated. Sincerely, Christine

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We've been with TotalProtect for more than 10 years, and we used it nine times since the time we've had it. They were very prompt and each time, they were very quick about giving us a name of the people coming out to correct an issue. The technicians took care of the problems and did not need to come back on the same problem.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Sandra, We appreciate your loyalty over the past 10 years! Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with service you can count on and we are happy to hear that we delivered. Thanks - Amanda

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Submitting claims to TotalProtect has been very easy. I usually do it online and the technicians they send thereafter have been good. I didn't have any issues with the ones I've had. My issues are taken care of.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Sherri, We're happy to hear that you've received the quick and efficient service we aim to provide. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. - Amanda

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have been with Total Protect for years, and in that time only have placed a few claims. I have found them to be inconsistent in what is covered and what is not, however when they make a repair, they do take care of it.

Today when I went to place a claim I was shocked to see that the deductibles had been raised from $75 to $125. When I called, a very nice representative assisted me and stated that a letter had been mailed in September, however I do not recall receiving. If I had received it, I would in no way have agreed to a 75% increase in the deductible. She told me that I now get more for my service, including my septic tank and water well being covered. That's fine and good, but I don't have either of those. We most certainly are not getting 75% more coverage in exchange for the increase.

I will be canceling with Total Protect and moving to another carrier. Buyer beware--the rates for Total Protect are excessive and there are A+ rated companies that will provide the same services (or better) at a far better price and do so far more efficiently!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Sven, I'm sorry to hear that you were unaware of our deductible increase and that you are considering switching to a different warranty provider. Due to rising claim costs, we decided to only raise the deductible rather than the monthly premium amount in order to keep monthly costs the same. We appreciate the feedback you provided and will ensure it is provided to the appropriate department for handling. - Austin

TotalProtect Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

TotalProtect Home Warranty, headquartered in Sunrise, Florida, is part of the Cross Country Home Services, Inc. family of home-related companies, which has been in business since 1980. TotalProtect offers three different plan options, so consumers can select which systems or appliances they want covered.

• Guarantee of work: Unlike most home warranty companies, TotalProtect Home Warranty provides an 180-day guarantee on all service work provided under their warranty policy, so consumers have six months to follow-up on service calls if the results were unsatisfactory.

• Service providers: TotalProtect has 40,000 screened service providers around the country. In addition, consumers are surveyed after every service call and their comments are included in the company’s “Dynamic Vendor Rating System.”

• Price options: Consumers can choose to pay $75, $100 or $125 for each service call. The monthly premium will be lower if customers select a higher service call fee, which the company refers to as a deductible.

• Customer service: TotalProtect customers with questions about their policy or who need to request service can reach a U.S.-based customer service representative 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Representatives are available 365 days a year.

• Limit amounts: The total limit for claims on the least costly policy is $10,000 and the limit per appliance on that policy is $1,500; higher limits apply on other policies.

• Best for: first-time buyers, home sellers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Information