Call toll free
2.83/5
Based on 619 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TotalProtect, along with its parent company Cross Country Home Services, is a leading home warranty provider with 37 years in the industry. TotalProtect offers coverage for appliances, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical and more. The company has been BBB accredited since 2007 and offers a 6-month guarantee on covered repairs.

2623 TotalProtect Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 19, 2018

I looked into acquiring a home warranty because you never know when you’re going to need it. My mortgage was with Bank of America and they recommended TotalProtect. So far, I have had a good experience in submitting claims which I usually do by phone instead of the internet and the TotalProtect representatives have been able to answer all my questions. There was one bad technician but it’s been a couple of years ago and the last one they sent out was very helpful. In fact, I have a claim for him to come back and see my AC.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 18, 2018

I called in to make a request to get my a/c serviced. The service provider came out promptly to check the unit and submitted the paperwork to total protect and he determined that the unit needed to be replaced and he needed to wait to see if it was approved. A week passed and I called to check on the status of the job and they had lost the reports and they said that the service provider needed to resubmit. Another week passed no update from total protect. When I would call they would say that my job was in the research department. After about a month, I was called with and offer to take 7,000 and get it repaired on my own or pay $800 in for the uncovered parts. I called in and chose to take the 7,000 to get the unit replaced on my own. Weeks past and I never recieved a check. I finally called back to check on the status and I was told that a mistake was made and my payout was now only $800. I was furious. It has now been 3 months and my a/c has not been repaired and I have not received a check. This company constantly lies and transfers you around and nothing ever gets done. Do not get this warranty company.

Original review: July 18, 2018 I claimed to my Total Protect home service plan to fix my dishwasher because there was water leaking out from the bottom. I called them, so they sent someone June 5th to check it out. The man said the parts will cost around $450 and that it needed to be replaced. He said he would make a claim to the insurance. I called the insurance again to check what would happen next. They sent another man and he said the same thing.
On June 15 they sent a email with to options.
I called in on June 16 to go with Option 2.
I went to the website and checked the modelnumber and the dimensions of the dishwasher.
Approx. Product Dimensions (WxHxD) (in.)
24 in x 32 11/32 in x 24 in and I agreed.
It says on their website GE built in dishwasher with hidden controlls GLDT696J .
The first appointment was on Monday June 24 from 8 to 12pm (no show), the second one was on Friday June 27 (no show), the third appointment was on July 3 (STILL no show) I also had to stay home from work!
And when I called them Italked to a robot for hours until I reached a real person.
Finally after 2 hours on the phone again yesterday they delivered the Dishwasher around 3 pm today July12,
but it was the wrong size the dimensions were only 20 in X 32 in X 20 in.
The box says 24 x 32 x 24.
When I called them after the delivery instead of helping me get the right size shipped they kept assuring me it was the right dishwasher even thought there were different dimensions and the
men who delivered it agreed with me that they shipped the wrong thing. Now they want me to pay a restocking fee and I will get the $ 564.00 minus the restocking fee.
I have now waited 6 weeks and they are still not able to give me the correct Dishwasher.
The one I had is no longer manufactured.

Now I have a broken dishwasher and a small new dishwasher standing in my dining room and I have to wash all my dishes by hand (for six weeks and counting).

Original review: July 18, 2018

I got a home warranty due to the age of the lines, equipment and appliances. I've been using TotalProtect for four years and I've never had any problems with them. I call in to submit a claim and the reps have been fine. The techs that come explain everything.

Original review: July 18, 2018 We have been without our a/c unit since may.
We have had the service provider out 3 times.
Have had wrong parts ordered twice.
Was expecting install today. Wrong part again.
We have a call into our attorney.

We've had home warranties for 10/12 years now. We've had this one for 8yeard. Never had this issue and no one seems to be concerned about it

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Original review: July 17, 2018

If there was a rating lower than 5 stars, I would provide it for this company which goes by several names including Total Protect (TP) Home Warranty, https://www.totalprotect.com/.

In summary, I have dealt with this company for almost 30 days to fix my GE front loader washing machine. After three failed attempts to repair my machine, the service provider finally asked for a new machine for me. No one from TP has even called me to set up delivery or take me through this process despite the fact the claim was placed 6/18/18. Today is 7/17/18.

This is no surprise given the ordeal I’ve gone through thus far: I’ve called many times only to speak with customer service reps who have no answers at all. The average wait time for most of my calls has been at least one hour. Reps are in various parts of the country. Once I think I even talked to two guys in India. My complaints have gone ignored — there was no record of one of them — and supervisors have been impossible to reach. I was told on several occasions that a supervisor would return my call within 48 hours (ridiculous in itself). I NEVER received a call. When I took a shot in the dark and called for a supervisor on the weekend, I reached one! This was after an hour wait and someone telling me that supervises don’t work on the weekends. Although she was more helpful and nicer than any other rep I’d spoken with, the fact remained that she could do nothing to ensure I receive the service I’ve paid for for many years.

In fact, it was a battle just to get a GE certified repair company near me. The list of providers TP issued were more than an hour away. This too is unacceptable, especially since I live in a metropolitan area. One rep asked if I lived “in the country” only to go down a list of nearby cities and providers which just happened to include the city I actually live in. When I pointed this out, the rep responded with a profound, “Oh.” The initial provider TP scheduled was within 25 miles but had an F rating with the BBB. When I called to change providers and ask if they vet or screen providers, the reps stated, “I don’t know. All I know is what’s on the screen.” More than one customer service rep actually said that to me.

For the time and money you spend on this “warranty service,” you could buy all new appliances any time they break down. There is no reason my family should be without an essential appliance for this long. This is a service I pay for on a monthly basis with a $100 deductible.

I’m so disappointed that an American company that says they “Can provide the right service, from the right people, at the right time” in their online and You Tube video, https://youtu.be/WnAnzYS5BPM, has done the exact opposite. The video says that TP has 40,000 “pre-screened technicians who meet licensing requirements” for various states. The video also says they provide “honesty and reliability” for customers with 24-hour customer service.

TP is also listed with the BBB. Based on my experience and the reviews I’ve seen on this site, I cannot understand how they still have accreditation. This “service” is definitely not worth the stress and inconvenience.

Do your homework and save your cash— Total Protect does not live up to its claims.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I live In Henderson, Nevada. Nevada! 108 degrees easy in July. I have been trying to get my AC compressor changed out for three weeks! Their contractor, AMA Air is no better, telling me the process would take two weeks, which was bad enough! I call last week at the two week mark because I had heard no feedback and was told that I needed to call Total Protect to make a decision on the claim. Really? Could one of you have contacted me about this? How long would this have gone on?

So my choice was to decide whether I wanted to pay >$500 for disposal of the old unit or basically find my own contractor. You tell me this two weeks later? I make a choice to pay the money because I want it done and get told by the contractor to expect a replacement in 1-2 days.

Another week goes by, now I am pissed and I am told by the contractor that I need to call Total Protect as they have no final authorization for replacement and do not know where to pick up the equipment from. I call Total Protect even more angry as they tell me that an email was sent to the contractor back on the 9th with the information needed to complete the work. I had to get ugly and demand a call to the contractor while I was on the phone because these two companies were pointing fingers at each other for their incompetence and nothing positive was happening on my behalf! The contractor had nothing nice to say about my home warranty provider, continued to blame them for all of the delays and that did not feel good at all! However neither company felt it imperative to keep me in the loop.

I thought that I was on the calendar for an installation tomorrow and tried to calm down about it all, then I get a voicemail AFTER business hours from a man stating that the job is rescheduled for Thursday! What now? I can't complain after hours, so I call Total Protect because they are supposed to be dedicated to customer service. Once again, all is blamed on the contractor, I can't make a formal complaint so that this doesn't happen to another homeowner (tonight anyway), and I was told to file a complaint with the BBB if they are a member. Oh, you don't make sure that you refer to companies who have an affiliation with the BBB? Nope, just that companies are licensed and insured!

Too much! Now I don't want a relationship with Total Protect at all. I will get this done and then I have some decisions to make! Everyone will get a call from me in the morning!

We all have choices, this was my dear elderly mother's and she was always frustrated. I get it now and do not have her patience. Choose wisely people!

Original review: July 15, 2018

I’ve used them 3 times (4 if you count their homeowners insurance reimbursement) the first 2 were okay, a little hard to deal with but they did fix the issue. The third was for an A/C issue AGAIN and it took over a week to get someone out. They scheduled an appointment out of the availability of the ONE provider that will service us, so I sat for hours waiting for no one. After numerous phone calls they finally agreed to pay a trip charge for someone from West Virginia to come. Now my toilet does not flush and they placed it in “emergency status” but I have to wait 48 hours for dispatch to even call me, also no manager available. It could be another week before someone comes out because I’m sure they don’t have a plumbing provider in my area either. Please don’t sell a service that you can’t provide, that’s considered stealing. The representative was polite but I could tell she just went through the motions to get me off the phone, no care in the world for my situation. “Your peace of mind protection” is definitely not giving me peace of mind.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I’ve been a member of TotalProtect for at least eight years and I've been pleased with their work. When I call for maintenance service, they respond and the service is good. So far, they’ve been choosing pretty good technicians that come in, do the job and are gone. Also, the prices have pretty much stayed where they're at and that's fine. However, the customer service is not quite as good now as it was then because they’re getting more automated. It takes a little longer, but other than that, it works out.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

James - We are delighted to hear that we’ve been able to satisfy your home warranty needs and appreciate your feedback. Our ultimate goal is to provide an effortless claim experience and make managing home repairs easy. Thank you for being a truly valued customer! Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have honestly never felt the amount of RAGE AND FRUSTRATION when dealing with ANY company/business/services as I have with Total Protect and their contractors (well, maybe with the exception of our current administration). On June 28 we submitted a request for our A/C HVAC units to be serviced - in the midst of a heat wave, they sent a service provider 5 days later, put freon in one, and said a valve needed to be replaced in the other. TP took TWO MORE WEEKS to approve getting the replacement part - said they wouldn't pay for the freon removal (isn't that standard for a/c repairs?) and we would have to pay the expedited shipping to get the part so they wouldn't have to schedule a week later than that! They should be ashamed of the lack of customer service, the miscommunication, the lying, the denying terms of the contract, etc. No wonder Consumer Reports said not to use Home Warranty companies and just put the money into a home savings repair account. We've been in the midst of a heatwave on the East Coast -as some have noted, this can be life-threatening to some customers. NO response. It is telling that Total Protect has taken the time to respond here to the positive reviews, but not to the negative ones with complaints. Contractors said they needed to come back again, and we have no idea when. This is appalling.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Jackie - When we are working with our customer, we first respond to them privately. Then once we have all the needed information, we give them a call directly. Sorry for any misunderstanding. The level of service you have received is unacceptable, and my team wants to help provide a resolution. We have located your account and will give you a call as soon as we can with a resolution to your claims. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 12, 2018

My Air Conditioner stopped working last Tuesday July 3rd. I submitted a claim and the A/C guy came out that night. He was hopeful it would be a quick fix and showed up at 8 P.M. He had to order parts for it and I have been without A/C for a week and a half now. I find this unacceptable since this is the only unit I have, I have kids and my unit is a Trane A/C unit. I have called the company everyday to be told it is in research and they are waiting on parts.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have this police since last four or five years, they did good stuff in the past, but this time, my AC broke down, and they have no clue what to do, their customer representative are lying to the customers, in 8 long, summer days, they couldn't even get a report from the service provider co. The companies they have on their list are very poor, irresponsible, having no sense of customer services. I am very much disappointed with the service. Also they are increasing the deductible every year, it was $85, now it is $100 and they have already bump it up to $125. I am thinking of ending my contact with the totalprotect.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have pumped over $4,000 into payments to TotalProtect. It took them 5 weeks to fix my stove and the person who was sent actually created more damage than was originally there because they were not rated on chef-grade appliances. Uncustomarily, our range hood went out the end of June. TP sent Sears out and the representative of Sears was very good, but said a part had to be ordered and that if it wasn't available in 2 weeks the hood had to be replaced. Fast forward to today, 2 weeks later: Sears leaves a recorded message that we have an appointment tomorrow to call. I call and Sears says #1 we don't have the part, we can't find the part, we never heard of the part and #2 that I have to talk to Supply Chain Management at Sears who cannot be directly contacted in order to find out if there is any status at all. I entered into this contract with TP who hard-sold us away from Countrywide saying they gave better service, superior coverage, and so forth. So, I call TP. I talk to Latoya for 47 minutes. Latoya tells me that the package WAS DELIVERED AS A FACTUAL STATEMENT TO MY FRONT DOOR that her records reflect that. I go through my ring videos and no package that we haven't accounted for. LaToya then transfer me saying she was giving me to someone who had more information for me than she could give me. I was transferred to a condescending woman named Lori who was posing as a cases manager who was COMPLETELY CLUELESS about the nature of my call and put me on HOLD for another 11 minutes while she "reviewed" the file and came back to inform me that the part was out of stock until AUGUST -- AUGUST -- AUGUST -- SIXTY DAYS and Lori told me in a condescending fashion they have no obligation to tell me the truth as a consumer or to repair within ANY timeline. She refused to answer any questions of how LaToya would tell me that a package was delivered to my front door saying that TP doesn't have to tell me that information and doesn't owe me an explanation of why both their 3rd party vendor or customer service lied to me. Lori refused to provide me proof that the part was ordered by her "just today" and refused to tell me who would ship the part. I am so fed up with these bait and switch companies who may perform occasionally and think it is okay to lie to the consumer and give false information on accounts. This one has me frustrated enough that I am going to pursue every legal avenue to find out what is really the status with this repair that I've paid thousands of dollars in premiums for on time for years. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. I have a public profile and am easy to find if you want to verify any of this data. Unacceptable customer service, worst customer experience.

Updated on 07/15/2018: This was posted with "resolution in progress on it." That is HUGE LIE. There is zero resolution in progress. I went weeks without a stove and their repair person broke another piece that was functioning while he fixed the piece that was broke and then the hood went out? Maybe he broke that too. That's been down now since before June 28th. Be aware from my perspective THERE IS NO RESOLUTION IN PROGRESS. BOLD-FACED LIE.

Original review: July 11, 2018

very poor customer service been hung up on twice while taking with someone air conditioner has been out for three weeks with 90 degree temperatures would not recommend this company to anyone they only pay so much to the service company then that company would to charge me extra to make up the difference i feel like this is a racket between totalprotect and service companies

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

James - Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not the level of service we intend to provide and I understand your frustrations. Records indicate that you have been in contact with a member of our leadership department and have approved of the replacement option. If you have any other questions or concerns, please respond back and my team will give you a call. Thank you, Austin

Original review: July 11, 2018

TotalProtect sent a technician for routine maintenance of our air conditioning unit and he was really good. He answered everything that I needed to ask and he did his job really well. If we need him again, I hope we get the same company again. TotalProtect has been really good to us. When we first joined the program, they would answer the phone right away. I always called on the phone and got them on there. But in the last couple of years, they’ve been terrible about answering the phone. Sometimes when we called, we would be on hold for a long time that we would just hang up. And we tried again and we were still on hold until we finally got someone live. So my only complaint is that they don’t answer the phone on the first try 99% of the time and we have to be on hold forever and ever.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I had TotalProtect Home Warranty for years, and I had no issues until my last claim, which was placed in the beginning of May 2018. now it is 7/10/18 and my claim still have not been resolved. the first customer service rep - Johnsons Appliance Repair, LLC, diagnosed my dryer as the panel and motor is out. Took the deductible and never came back - even TotalProtect could not get in touch with him! One month of arguing with TotalProtect, they sent another provider Abott, who was not able to determine what is wrong with the drier (mind you this drier is barely 3 years old - Samsung). two weeks back and forth with TotalProtect "Linda" assign our case to Sears. Sears never showed up - turns out "Linda" never submitted the service call. more arguing with TotalProtect - waiting on Supervisors call back, which probaly not going to happen. All in all - when it is time to actually give the customer a replacement they are breaching their contract by not providing to their customer.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I placed a claim for my air conditioning unit on 5/29/18 and had their contractor Suncloud Services LLC come out to inspect on 5/31. The repair required ordering parts which I had to call repeatedly to check on and was finally 'ordered' on 6/14.

TotalProtect Home Warranty had the part available to Suncloud Services for pick-up on 6/20. In the meantime, I called Suncloud and TotalProtect 6 times each to try to get the repair completed since the temperatures and heat index climbed over 100 degrees for multiple days. I have not received a call back from Suncloud and each time I spoke with a Total Protect representative, he or she was essentially clueless or lying to get me off the phone or both.

Now, after 41 days and the initial payment for an inept and probably defunct company Suncloud Services LLC to come out. I have been asked to resubmit my claim to get another provider of dubious competency to come out. There are no words for how upset I am and how dishonest each of these companies have been.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I switched to TotalProtect after my friend told me that it's the best company and it’s a bit cheaper too. I called to submit a claim and it was done the next or following day. Submitting a claim was a very good experience as well as dealing with their reps. The reps were able to answer all of my questions and acted right away to solve my problems. When my air conditioner went bad, one technician came and wrote so many stupid stuff and he didn’t wanna fix it. And so I asked for a second guy to do a second inspection, and he fixed it right away. I don’t have any problems with TotalProtect and each time I called them, they took care of things. I like my experience 100% and I recommend them.

Resolution response: July 16, 2018

Total Protect has decided to replace my refrigerator, and it looks like a decent replacement. I have also updated my rating to 3 stars. It would have been higher if it hadn't taken a few weeks, and a lot of my time and effort, to resolve it. But overall, I would have to say I'm 'satisfied with the experience'.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Over a week ago, my refrigerator went out, so I called Total Protect. They gave me a number to call. I called that number at least a half dozen times, no one would answer and it said their mailbox was full. So I called TP again. They got me someone else, and he came by the next day. He looked at it and said the condenser coil had broken and would have to be replaced, and that it would be 5-7 days. I blew up at that. They were asking me to do without my refrigerator, the place I store my perishable food, for what would be two weeks! Then when I called him later in the week, although his English was a bit hard to understand, I thought he said that TP was considering replacing the refrigerator and that they would be contacting me in 24-48 hours. Well, needless to say that didn't happen. When I called them this morning, they said it was over in Research, whatever that means. So now, over a week later I am no closer to getting my refrigerator fixed than I was a week ago. And this isn't the first time TP has tried to burn me. They gave me a lot of grief about my garage door opener last year before finally doing the right thing and getting it fixed. If you are considering this company for a home warranty policy, DO NOT engage these guys! They only want to take your money and leave you high and dry, WITHOUT WHATEVER IT IS THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!!

Original review: July 7, 2018

I’ve been very happy with TotalProtect. They really stand behind what they say and deliver very quickly. I submit my claims over the phone, and they follow up and they have great customer service. Recently, they added a lot of text messages to their customer service where customers can just respond with a "yes or no" if the appointments have been completed or if another appointment is needed. And then they tell us they will follow up with us and they do.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Today is July 6, 2018 and marks over a month of time that my family and I have been without our refrigerator. I have had to make every phone call to this company, approximately 15 times, in order to receive a status update on my replacement. Each phone call to Total Protect has been hapless, unproductive and absolutely frustrating. I've requested to speak to a supervisor each of the last few times and still in each case, they are useless in providing any assistance. In today's phone call I was actually informed that they could "not find a supervisor for me to speak with". My family and I have had to endure the expense of purchasing take-out food every single day of this time-period in addition to the daily purchase of ice.

This experience has been completely disheartening as I have been a paying member in good standing for several years now, apparently my long-time customer status and limited number of claims is not worth my continued business with this company. I will be canceling my contract with this company as soon as my issue with this claim is remedied and will no longer recommend this company to any individuals!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Mike - I can definitely understand the frustration of having problems with your refrigerator in your home. It sounds like we’ve let you down. I have reviewed your claim and see that a member of our leadership team has already spoken with you and you have elected to take the cash option in place of the replacement option. If you are needing further assistance please respond back and we will follow up with you. Thank you – Austin

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 6, 2018 They have denied every claim I made at my house this year. The last straw was my washing machine. They didn't even bother to call me and tell me the claim was denied. Their reason was that I had a comforter in it when it broke. The comforter was only a twin size and light weight. The washing machine was a heavy duty Maytag. They called it misuse and abuse of the machine.

The contractors they use are horrible too, they sent Dominion Comfort Solutions to fix the A/C at my daughters house TotalProtect did authorize that repair but the contractors were constantly not showing up. It took them 2 months to fix the A/C and they replacement unit is defective so the job still isn't done.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Kathy - We are sorry to hear of the problems you experienced obtaining service. We aim to provide each of our customers with quick and efficient service, and it is apparent that we missed our goal. We regret that we lost you as a customer and apologize for the inconvenience.  Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 6, 2018

TotalProtect Home Warranty covers everything. They cover the wires in the wall and the plumbing in the walls too. Their customer service has usually been very good. However, this last time it was weird because I had to go through the whole procedure of making an appointment and I had to wait. I don’t like the phone system so well. I wish there's a new way to reach a person if I had a question. But when I finally spoke with someone, it has been very good.

The technicians have also been good, although there was one episode that I wasn’t too happy with my water heater. All they did was replace one of the rods in it, which is fine except it still had pieces of little white plastic in it, so we had to pay to get that one replaced ourselves, and that I didn’t like. I also didn’t have them finish the call last time. TotalProtect Home Warranty didn’t cover the fan, so I called the people that did the work on it and they came out. It ended up being covered and it was good for me.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 5, 2018

Never in my entire life have I received the kind of rude, incompetent, disgusting service as I have received from this company. This is an AWFUL establishment, and I will not rest until as many people as I can reach understand how awful and incompetent this business truly is. I am ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED. When you call their hotline, the first sentence says that they are accredited by the Better Business Bureau. After researching that claim, I found out that they are in fact NOT accredited as stated by the BBB website. I have received nothing but runaround from multiple “supervisors” in customer service who cannot seem to even order a part. It has been over a month that the “company” has had this part ordered. I was guaranteed a 2-3 day shipment and here I am in south Louisiana with no air condition over a month later.

If I owned any PORTION of this company, I would be MORTIFIED and EMBARRASSED. The last “customer service” representative, Devin, told that he has no idea where my part is or when it will be delivered. When I asked if I could speak to anyone that does, he condescendingly replied “no.” When I asked if there was anyone else I could speak to that can resolve ANY part of this monstrosity of an experience, again his only reply was “no.” How dare this company pretend to offer any semblance of a home warranty service? I would have been better off burning the non-competitively priced cost to even be a member of this company. It would have caused me infinitely less mental anguish than dealing with this terrible excuse of an establishment.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Nicholas - We are sorry to hear of the problems you experienced obtaining service. We aim to provide each of our customers with quick and efficient service, and it is apparent that we missed our goal. Records indicate that a member of our leadership team from the Customer Relations department has been in constant contact with you to have this claim rectified. Please respond back if you have any other questions or concerns. - Ausitn

Original review: July 4, 2018

Since having TotalProtect I like the fact that if something breaks down in the house, there’s someone I can call to have it repaired. I never had any problems with them sending people out and doing stuff on time. Maybe once or twice there was but they reconciled that. Every contractor they sent has been helpful except one. My shower had to have a new shower nozzle put on and it took a while to get it. I also had a problem with the dryer. They said they fixed it but they didn’t. I kept calling them to have them come back out, but they never would. TotalProtect had to send somebody else to do it. I tell all family about TotalProtect all the time and recommend it to them. Someone dropped American Home Shield and took TotalProtect.

Original review: July 3, 2018

You can never speak to supervisor is always customer service I have been trying to get my hot water heater fixed since May 18 of this year and been get the run around was told I didn’t need one just some part and I could keep use it a week later My basement flooded and I lost my freezing everything in there a I have them a least a 100 times still way on a supervisor to call me and there is no other number to call and when you customer service they don’t even read the file before they give me an answer I’m just finally find out is there any reason my hot water heater should not have been repaired or replaced by now they want me to call we’re up to our car where a pool and they said they need to get to have water heater was installed in 2014 I called them they still don’t understand I had this insurance since 2011 in the beginning it was great right on it now you don’t know what you’re getting

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Carrie - Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I appreciate the feedback and will forward it back to the organization. Upon a further review of your account it seems that the water heater is under a manufacturer warranty and will be handled through that warranty. We appreciate the opportunity to make this right. - Austin

Original review: July 3, 2018

Its been 3 weeks since ive submitted my claim. I cant get a straight answer from total protect staff. I will not be sticking with this company after this horrible experience. Its a simple fridge repair. Fix it or repair it. Thats what ive paid for!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I've had TotalProtect for four years now and I love them. Their services are excellent. If something breaks, I don’t have that worry about who’s gonna fix what. I know it is costly to try and insure the stove, the air vent and the electric and most of the time you'll be asked if you want a plan, which can cost up to $400. And so TotalProtect saves me a lot of money. I call them when I submit a claim and a rep would be on the line. I explain things to them and they submit my request. They ask me all the questions and they're thorough because sometimes it’s hard to describe mechanics and things like that. I also like that they don't rush me and they try to help me troubleshoot. The contractors they've sent have also been good. They're to the point, timely and clean.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Diane - Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know you were pleased with the service. - Austin

Original review: July 2, 2018

My father is 74 years old and has congestive heart failure as well as an abdominal aortic aneurysm and is at risk for stroke, and our ac compressor has gone out. This company has told me it’s a “medical emergency” and my claim is being “expedited”. I never received my contract. I have requested my terms and conditions/ contract five times now and while each time they “put in a request to have it mailed” the requests started 2.5 month ago and I still haven’t received it. They REFUSED to connect me to a supervisor, refused to email the terms and conditions or contract. It is Florida summertime 89 degrees plus humidity that makes the “feels like temperature” 100 degrees +. The first time the air went out it took 3 DAYS for them to approve me to call my own technician, the second time, (now) a technician came out and it has been 30 hours in parts RESEARCH already with no end in sight. They haven’t even ordered the parts yet, much less shipped anything for the repairs to commence. They refuse to tell me how long it will be in research, with one woman saying to me “do you want me to lie to you and make up a timeline, because I can do that.” In addition, they consider mold/mildew “consequential damages” along with any costs for lodging due to their delays to order parts “consequential damages” not covered by the warranty, and they refuse to give out any timeline when we can expect this to be taken care of. It’s a stalling tactic to try to force the customer to handle it ourselves which would mean they don’t have to pay out. I’ve filed a complaint with the BBB, and am calling the states insurance adjuster, consumer protection services. Stay away from this company!!

Original review: July 2, 2018

AC out of fix for over a week with disabled grandson on a feeding tube and Significant other on disability. Tried asking for a manager and supervisor and was told they were too busy and that they would call me back but never received a response back. Temp in home up to 98° no care about small kids or disabled people. Very disappointed !!!!!

TotalProtect Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

TotalProtect Home Warranty, headquartered in Sunrise, Florida, is part of the Cross Country Home Services, Inc. family of home-related companies, which has been in business since 1980. TotalProtect offers three different plan options, so consumers can select which systems or appliances they want covered.

• Guarantee of work: Unlike most home warranty companies, TotalProtect Home Warranty provides an 180-day guarantee on all service work provided under their warranty policy, so consumers have six months to follow-up on service calls if the results were unsatisfactory.

• Service providers: TotalProtect has 40,000 screened service providers around the country. In addition, consumers are surveyed after every service call and their comments are included in the company’s “Dynamic Vendor Rating System.”

• Price options: Consumers can choose to pay $75, $100 or $125 for each service call. The monthly premium will be lower if customers select a higher service call fee, which the company refers to as a deductible.

• Customer service: TotalProtect customers with questions about their policy or who need to request service can reach a U.S.-based customer service representative 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Representatives are available 365 days a year.

• Limit amounts: The total limit for claims on the least costly policy is $10,000 and the limit per appliance on that policy is $1,500; higher limits apply on other policies.

• Best for: first-time buyers, home sellers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Information