TotalProtect Home Warranty

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect is a really great company and has a good service. I would highly recommend them. I used to have another home warranty that wasn't worth a damn and I mentioned it to a friend of mine who had TotalProtect. I then contacted TotalProtect and switched over and I've been very happy since then. If I call right now, I would have a claim in 3-5 minutes and I'd know who's the contractor and have his phone number. The contractors immediately get the claim as soon as I get their number. If it's a workday, I can talk to them within just a couple of minutes. I'd normally call them before they call me. Then they'll come out and either fix the problem or get a new one if it can't be fixed. I got a brand new $1000 refrigerator a few months ago because the old one wasn't made anymore and its part was not available. So they're the best.

The techs who come out are very knowledgeable and smart. TotalProtect uses Sears for appliances and Sears has better appliance technicians and service people than anybody. But they also send out people who aren't from Sears. But with the refrigerator, they sent a Sears guy out. I don't know how they go about selecting their contractors, but I have been happy with every contractor and they seem to know their business. They're polite and get the job done quick so I couldn’t ask for more. Overall, TotalProtect does what they say and do it in a polite, speedy manner and they don’t waste my time.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The realtor recommended getting a home warranty. He said it's been a godsend to a lot of people. The lady who owned the house before us had TotalProtect and when we bought the house, she gave me the information. We signed right up and later found out it had a good rep. I submit claims online and as far as I can tell, the process is full-proof. I go on the internet to log in, say what's wrong and then, they usually get back to me within 24 hours and within 48 hours, it's fixed. We haven't had anything like furnaces but we've had several appliances like washers, dryers, door openers and dish machine.

What really impressed me is they do not send out some handyman. They send out Sears or real companies to fix the stuff and it's amazing. They're professional and all of them have been extremely friendly and polite. The gentleman that came out a few weeks ago for the dish machine had fixed the machine years ago with the original owner and he remembered the house and the machine. It was so nice to have that continuity because you never know who's really coming and when you get somebody that's been here before and he's so friendly, it takes some of the fear out of doing this. You also hear horrible stories from Craigslist but TotalProtect eliminates all that problem. They send somebody and they guarantee it.

Also, their work exceeds expectations. They fix the problem and issues that they've noticed are gonna happen like one time, the technician noticed the clogged drain so he cleared that for me. When they do stuff like that for you, it's really nice. Then, I look at the bill and I'm saving hundreds of dollars each time one of these guys walk in the house. Everything is fixed right the first time. It's awesome and I'm very pleased. The reps may call to ask a question but they're very polite and courteous and it's a non-issue.

It's so pleasant to not have to worry about Angie's List if you're gonna get ripped off or if it is gonna get fixed. There may be some out-of-pocket, depending on the issue like when we had the water heater replaced, that was very upfront. But they explained everything and you can always say no. But, I'm a little bummed about the $100 service call. It used to be about $70 so, that keeps going up but so does everything else. All in all, TotalProtect is well worth the price and you're crazy not to do it, especially if your home is 10 or 15 years old.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had my home warranty set up with my Bank of America mortgage and they sold the company to TotalProtect. I've always had pretty good success with having a request fulfilled and repairs done. Plus, working with the claims rep was pretty good. We talk to them to try to get somebody on the phone to schedule a repair to come out. The only negative experience is when, one time, Sears was hired, but they ended up switching who they're gonna be using and there was nothing scheduled. TotalProtect had kept calling to follow up and it didn't work well. But the technician who fixed the issue has been good and the quality of work seems to be pretty good.

I have had good experience with Total Protect. I have been with them for 5 years. I never had a problem with my claims. Unfortunately, It is time for me to find another home warranty company who deductible is not as high as Total Protect. Also, they do not cover as much as other companies. I just bought another home and is planning to use a different home warranty company for both. I am reviewing American Home Shield as a possibility. If American Shield quotes me the same price and deductible as Total Protect, I will consider staying with Total Protect because I know them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Neil Heating & Air Conditioning was out there last night and they haven't sent in the service report. So, TotalProtect can't call them back out again. It's 20 degrees in Minnesota so it's a little cold. I've left them a message so that they could go get ahold of Total Protect to give them the service report but they haven't called back. The claim was made on the 9th. Neil Heating & Air Conditioning called and told us to go to the house to get the pressure up for the heating. It did but it dropped right back down so I called them on Friday.

We've got six properties with TotalProtect Home Warranty. The last one we put on for my son right before Christmas. They were nice as they try to help us. I understand their hands are tied or the heating and air conditioning guy didn't get back to them. It always takes at least a day for someone to come out but we've never had a contractor call us and tell us to fix it. We couldn't do it because we were not plumbing and heating people. We did what he said, but it didn't last. So, we have to wait.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

I would not recommend Total Protect or Cross Country Insurance at all. They have the absolute worst service. I have had my warranty for a few year, my washer failed. First the company they referred me to for the repair, made me pay the service call fee up front because they said they have issues with collecting from Total Protect and Cross Country. I got thru that after paying upfront for service call. Total Protect opted to replace rather than repair, BUT wanted to replace my 11 cycle and 9 specialty cycle black stainless Electrolux washer with white Ge washer that was not in anyway comparable. the pedestal would not be replaced, so they in essence offered a white Ge brand that would sit on the floor next to my pedestaled Electrolux! I was told a supervisor was too busy and would call after 24 hours. After speaking to a supervisor who said my washer was white according to her records and asked me to send pictures, which I did within 5 min. I was told she would send it back to the review/research team, and they would find a more comparable washer. I was contacted the next day with the exact same offer as the original one and told a comparable appliance was not available in my area. I will be ending service with this company as soon as possible, and I do not recommend anyone use this company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My experience with TotalProtect has been fantastic. I've been with them for two years. So far, I've gotten what I have asked for so I stayed with them. Submitting a claim has been good and I have no complaints. The technicians who have come out has been good except for one, and I told TotalProtect not to include him on anything else I had before. He never came to my house again. They sent somebody else, and he did a perfect job. Overall, TotalProtect has been exceptionally good for me.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I thought I'd give TotalProtect a shot after hearing about them. So far, my experience in submitting a claim with them has been good. Their reps were nice and able to answer all my questions and the technician’s work was excellent. I’d recommend them to a friend.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect Home Warranty's pricing is okay and submitting a claim is easy. If there's a problem, I just call and set up. The claims reps were friendly, the technicians were excellent and the quality of their work was great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We've got appliances and I don't want to have a big amount of payout in my pocket. Getting a home warranty is convenient and Bank of America offered TotalProtect. It looked good to me so I enrolled with them. Submitting a claim is easy and convenient. It's also easy to set up an appointment. I call them and tell them what's wrong. The reps I've spoken to are very accommodating and they're well-versed on the type of claim I tell them. They're very courteous and they always answer my questions. They already have a company to call and come out to my house and they always follow up after that. The technicians they've sent out are courteous and polite and the quality of their work is good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We’ve had TotalProtect for a long time. I figured that getting a home warranty will pay for itself in the long run and it did when my washer broke down. However, the technicians ordered the part that was needed, put it in and the washer still wouldn't work. They looked around, found what they needed but it was a defective part. It started to work for about one load of wash and the second one, I had to wring it all out by hand again. They came back the third time with a new part to get it fixed. It was a real hassle that I was without a washer for about three weeks with all the running back and forth in getting the parts. I had to go to the laundromat, bag everything up and take it down, and then put it in the washers and stand there and wait on it, and bag it back up and cart it back home. It's also expensive that I was shelling out money to do it and it's time-consuming. But they finally got it.

Another situation I've had to use TotalProtect was something on the door was broken. The guy that came had the right part in his truck, so he went out, brought it in and we're good to go. Whenever I've called in to submit claims, they were able to get things going right away and usually, they provide a pretty fast service of getting a repairman out depending on how busy they are.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

About 12 years ago, when I got my mortgage through CrossCountry, they offered TotalProtect to me and I took it. Submitting a claim to the warranty company was easy and it has been an excellent experience. TotalProtect was on time and every claims rep was courteous. The technicians that they sent out were always good. TotalPRotect is great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

If anything happens, I can have that extra coverage with TotalProtect. They were always on point. They came right out when we called in and say that we need something to be appraised. It was an easy process because when I called them, they went ahead and scheduled a serviceman to the address. TotalProtect has been great.

I wish there was a way to give 0 stars. Customer service is horrible every one gives you different information. Filed a claim for two toilets and a shower valve. filing the claim was easy but getting the claim paid or even acknowledge was the WORST! They sent out a plumber right away that demanded my deductible before he even looked at what needed to be done he accepted the job and said he would be able to fix it then he turned rude. He showed up when no one was home then called my cell phone and yelled about no one being there for him to complete the job when I arrived to let him in he jacked up the toilets more and left calling total protect back and giving them a crap story about not being able to fix the shower valve because they need to tear down a wall. Called total protect spoke to 3 reps that offered different information until I got frustrated and asked to speak to member service to cancel my policy. When I spoke to member services I was again given different information and was told that if I found someone to do the work they would pay out what they were going to pay the person that they sent that couldn't do the job, so I agreed. Called back a few days later after having the job complete and ONCE AGAIN received different information that member services misinformed me, AGAIN I asked for member services and was kept on hold for over 45 minutes. I would never recommended this rip off plan to not even my worst enemy.... WHAT A JOKE!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I moved into my home 20 years ago, my furnace had gone out and I had to give up $10,000. So I did some research and found out about TotalProtect Home Warranty. They can service my appliances and I just pay X amount of dollars a month. I have submitted a claim for my washer and dryer, and some plumbing issues. I normally do it over the phone because I like talking to people. The process was very fast. I'm not on hold a very long time before I can get to a representative. The reps were very friendly and helpful. And they give me three references when I call them.

Every contractor that they sent out has been very professional and prompt. I only had an issue one time when my furnace had gone out during winter. They had to do something outside and replace the coil. But the guy wasn't reliable. He kept saying, "I'm on the job. I'm coming." And we were in here freezing. But otherwise, my 20 years with TotalProtect has been great. I would definitely recommend TotalProtect to friends and to all homeowners.

Our heat pump quit working right before Christmas 2016. We contacted our service guy and he indicated that it was a total loss so we contacted Total Protect Home warranty about the replacement of our heat pump since we had a contract with them. Ever since, we have gotten nothing but the run around from their service department and customer service. Call and wait on hold for 1/2 hour or more, calls get dropped so you have to start over.... We were without a heat pump for more than 6 weeks while they tried to find someone to come and service or replace our unit. The first company from Virginia, the state we live in, never called, never showed for appointments. The second company was from out of state and could not do the permitting and inspection because they were unlicensed in Virginia. After weeks of chasing this around and finally getting a quote from one of their out of state vendors, we determined to get this work done ourselves and there was an agreement that they would pay a cash settlement once we had paid for the service and submitted documentation. We submitted all of the documentation they told us we needed for our payment, service and replacement of the heat pump on February 19th. Contacted Total Protect today, March 12th, to find out where our reimbursement check was and they are requesting further documentation, even items that were included in the documents we submitted, more runaround. More stalling tactics every time we contact them..... further deception and delay in an already awful case of customer service and support......we are totally exasperated with this company and would recommend that you run away and take your home warranty needs to another company.....

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife's cousins got TotalProtect and they researched it and said it was pretty good. I got the information from him and I looked it over. I talked to the people there and they said it was a good thing, so that's what I wanted and I went on. The first claim we had was when we had that sewer guy come out here and do the work. It was bad. The guy came up four times and still didn't get it unplugged. I told them if they ever hire that guy to come out to my house again, I would drop them. I also told them he was taking them for a left and right but nobody would listen.

They didn't say anything about sending somebody else so, I hired this other person/company to do it. This guy that we hired came out and did it in 45 minutes. He had everything cleared out and put a new clean out. Now, our garage door went haywire and the guy they sent this time was good and did perfectly. So, the only bad thing we had was with that first company they sent. After that, it's been good so far.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend told me how good TotalProtect was, how his water heater in his town home had went and how they came over and took care of his water heater. I told him it sounded like a good plan. Submitting claims to them have been really easy. I used to call but the one that I had on my water heater was the first time I ever went to the computer and did it. As soon as I put the claim in, they came back to me with a claim number and the company who would be doing the work. They were always on-time and found out what the problem was - either replace a fuse in my refrigerator or my air-conditioning unit. I've also had electrical problems with the washer and dryer.

I've only had a problem since this last time with the water heater with the company that was chosen to come here and work on the water heater. They said I had a burned out element and it took them about 10 days to come back and put the element in. They kept telling me they were coming and then didn't show up, or call me. Then they showed up and said they were here to put the element in without calling and telling me they were coming.

Nevertheless, the work has been great. When they finally put the element in eventually, I turned the water on and it was getting hot so I'm assuming that the element worked right. I recommended TotalProtect to many of my friends and I've had at least two sign up. They've been good to us that we haven't had any problems with our claims being take care of rapidly and on-time. The companies they work with and their customer service are good. Every time I would call up or we get in touch with them, they were very professional.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect Home Warranty is fairly easy to work with. I always call in my claims, and the worst part is getting someone on the phone. I did the last couple of claims through their automated machine and that went well. Typically the technician comes out within a couple of days, but it takes a while when they use the Sears service. If I had a problem with anybody, it's normally with the Sears people because they never have parts and they have to come back later. I've had that situation a couple of times over the years. I had a problem with one technician this month, but TotalProtect assigned it to another company and things were handled very promptly. 90% of the time the technicians are excellent. I'm happy with TotalProtect, and I constantly recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My daughter-in-law and my son had TotalProtect, and they recommended I get it when my husband passed away. And I did. I submitted an online claim when my furnace stopped working, and the process was very easy. I answered the questions, and they gave me a telephone number of who to call right away, which I did. It was a Friday night and they contacted me the next morning at around 8 o’clock and they were here by 10 o’clock.

The gentleman who came in was nice enough. It ended up it wasn’t my furnace. I needed batteries in my thermostat. I didn’t even know there were batteries in there. So I learned, and next time I’ll be changing them. I figured while he was at the house, maybe he could vacuum the furnace cover because he said it was dusty, but he wouldn’t do it. I thought that was strange. So I paid him his $100 and out the door he went. It was the most expensive three batteries I’ve ever spent in my life. But that had nothing to do with TotalProtect. In fact, they were great. I’m very pleased with them and have already recommended them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I know that things can break and become very expensive. So when TotalProtect came in the mail at the right time, and since a friend had a similar type of home warranty, I went with them. I call when I submit a claim and they set it up. Their claims reps were excellent. The only time I had a problem was with an actual service provider and it had nothing to do with TotalProtect at all. All their technicians were excellent except one. They were very efficient and did their job properly. Our experience with them has been very good and I recommend them all the time.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have used TotalProtect Home Warranty several times and I am very pleased with everything. I needed it because my house is older. Submitting a claim to them is fast. I call them up and their reps would give a claim number and the number of people to call. The technicians have been nice, professional, and good at what they do. The quality of work is great, too. We recommend TotalProtect.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A home warranty was something I always wanted because when most homeowners purchase a home, they don't think about the breakdowns that happen during the process of paying for the home. A lot of times, those expenses are not accounted for. You can get so many problems in the home that just wears over, financially and mentally, and the home ends up vacant because you can't repair them because the money is not there. That's why I got a policy from TotalProtect and I liked their service.

Once you call TotalProtect's claims department to tell them what's going on, they give you a reference number, then they contact someone that is available within the area and get someone out. It's very simple and easy. It's better than going out yourself having to find someone. Moreover, the reps were very knowledgeable of their jobs and they show empathy for the problems that you're having. The contractors that they sent out were very good, fast and knowledgeable. TotalProtect has provided excellent service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to have a maintenance program where we could have some protection, so when I learned about TotalProtect through our mortgage company, I signed up with them. Everything went fine when I submit a claim and they sent somebody out. A tech came in and said we needed a whole new air conditioning system, but the guy from TotalProtect came over and said that we didn't need one. So, it saved a lot of money and that was really an excellent experience.

We signed up for Total Protect Home Warranty in the fall and chose the more expensive option. In October, we submitted our first and only claim so far to repair our stove. We are now in March. We've had five technicians visit. Parts were ordered and some installed. Others never returned. There was never follow up to see if the problem was solved. Oh and the problem was that we were having to light the stove with a lighter. It won't start. October to March... and it still won't start. I called numerous times to follow up. Finally, they said they'd send out a new stove. It arrived today with the installation crew who said they can't install it because it's a non standard steel gas pipe and they only can install with flexible hoses. I called Total Protect again. They said from a steel pipe to a hose is an upgrade... and that I need to pay for a plumber to come out. Five months trying to solve this problem. 5 crews came out here. I have a stove in a box on our kitchen floor. I'm still lighting my stove manually. Here are my issues: 1/ there is no follow up. If I hadn't called, no one would have closed out my case. 2/ Bait and switch. When you sign up, they say it's all included, parts, service and everything. Once a guy comes out here, it's back and forth nonsense and no one takes ownership. Meanwhile, I keep paying out. A supervisor is supposed to call today. I'm ready to cancel the service. This should have been an easy fix.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Having a home warranty under TotalProtect is cheaper in the long run. They have always been able to get someone here every time we've called them, unlike the company we were with before where we would sometimes wait for days. On the other hand, we had a problem last year with something and TotalProtect wasn't able to help us so they didn't make us pay one month on our premium. Other than that, I love the technicians they send because everyone is so professional. I've been really happy with TotalProtect.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've had TotalProtect for so long now and I had no problem with submitting a claim. I filed a couple of them and one was for the hot water heater. The reps and the technician are always professional so I have no complaints. The quality of the work performed was very good. I'm very satisfied.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Bank of America referred me to TotalProtect years ago, and I’ve been with them for over 10 years. I submitted a claim with them recently when the furnace went out at 1 o’clock in the morning. There was no flame to it, and I couldn’t get it to respond so I called TotalProtect that morning to let them know it was out. And then at 9:30 that morning, the furnace kicked back on. I was talking to the D & D Mechanical. They were going to come out here, but they said there’d be a service call and probably I’d be obligated to that. As long as the furnace is working, there’s not much sense in coming out. So, the gal at D & D Mechanical said they’d hold the work order in place through this week and see how it goes. If the furnace is still working, they’d just close it out.

I’m very pleased with the way they responded to me and to the guys that they send out. D & D Mechanical and Smedley Plumbing have been out here. In all cases, whoever they’ve referred out had very quality workmanship and everything’s been done fine. I have no problems with it at all. All in all, I’m totally satisfied with TotalProtect and I would not hesitate to recommend. In fact, I tell people how to get a hold of TotalProtect and get some insurance there.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect sent me something through the mail and I was with American Home Shield at the time. It seemed like the rate was a little cheaper so I decided to try them out. I usually submit my claims on the phone which is an easy process. And the reps I spoke with and the techs who came out were very professional. One of the techs even had to go up in the attic during a repair. I'm pleased with their service.

However, when a service guy came to fix my air conditioning unit in winter time, I mentioned to him that the whole unit wasn't working as well when it was warm. He told me that he saw what the problem was and that he would order the parts. But when I spoke to the person in the office because I didn't hear anything else about it, the rep told me that she didn't see anything on the report about that. Then she was explaining that since it was a problem, even though it was the same system but it was winter time that they would have to do a separate order when it gets hot. However, I was kind of disappointed that the tech didn't pass on the information that he told me he was going to pass on. Except for that little incident, the service people that TotalProtect sent over have been quick and timely whenever I called in my order.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect is awesome. I submitted a claim recently over the phone and it was automatic. I didn't talk to anyone and it was pretty simple and quick. I usually talk to somebody and their representatives were very nice and helpful. They also listen to my advice. One time I called in, I had an issue with my furnace. I told them I didn't like the guys they have sent. So, when they went to send someone out again this time, I told them I'd rather not. They said, "No problem" and set me up with a new company. The guys they have sent out this time were very good, nice, polite and clean. Everything was fine after they came out and I am very happy with it. I have also recommended TotalProtect to my sister. I have been with them for 15 years and have called in about seven times. They also give me free inspections four times a year.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Profile