Call toll free
2.96/5
Based on 615 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TotalProtect, along with its parent company Cross Country Home Services, is a leading home warranty provider with 37 years in the industry. TotalProtect offers coverage for appliances, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical and more. The company has been BBB accredited since 2007 and offers a 6-month guarantee on covered repairs.

2576 TotalProtect Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

I've been with TotalProtect for 20 years now and they're good so far. I submit my claims over the phone and their representatives and contractors are good. There's a guy who comes here to repair the stuff once in a while. And the guy came here to check my AC up, hose it down, and somebody else would do an outside grill for me. I used to clean the unit myself, but this year, we had all that green stuff in the air and they clogged up the whole thing outside. But the guy came over with this fluid and within half an hour, everything came out. The unit runs really nice now.

But sometimes, the contractors don’t do 100%. They hope something else breaks down in the process. So you gotta watch them. I had a secondary heating system and TotalProtect said they couldn't repair that because it was not the primary system. But they told me if I pay extra, they could do it then on the warranty thing. Also, I used to pay $60 for a service call, but now I pay $100. And you have to pay for the parts.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I've had two claims with this company and both have been a nightmare. First my refrigerator began having issues, the tech who came out tried to fix it and was not able to. A second visit revealed the compressor needed replacement, over a week to get the part and then another week to have it replaced. After the compressor was replaced it still is not working. The tech came back out for a fourth visit and it is still not fixed. When we asked the tech if it just needed to be replaced he informed us that the warranty company will never replace it. This has been going on for over a month, my refrigerator is still not fixed, the warranty company will not replace it, even though it is quite clear that it is beyond repair.

My other claim involved a leaking water heater, some might call this an emergency which needs to be addressed, well not the warranty company. They took over ten days to do anything. I called everyday to try to speed up the process to no avail. Eventually we decided to just have the work done on our own and ask for reimbursement. When the warranty company told us what they would reimburse it was about a third of the actual cost.

Overall this company is terrible, they contract with third rate vendors who do not respond to either the customer or warranty company. The warranty company does not answer your questions and refuses to replace items which are obviously in need of replacement. I would recommend instead of paying money for the warranty save it so you can use it to hire a reputable service vendor and have repairs done on your own. I cannot stress enough how bad the contractors they use are and how terrible they are to deal with.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Peter - I'm sorry to hear about this experience. We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. We are working daily to improve all processes, and ensure our customer's receive the full benefit of their warranty. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: June 21, 2018

Having a warranty with TotalProtect has been very helpful. When my air conditioner went out, they were here. That took a few weeks because they had to replace the unit. I usually submit the claim over the phone and the process was easy. Their reps were great as well as the contractors. The quality of work done has been excellent too. People need to get a warranty from them.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Nancy - Thank you for taking the time to share! Providing efficient repairs and excellent customer service is our primary goal as your warranty company. Thank you for being such a loyal customer! Sincerely, Austin

Original review: June 20, 2018

I am disappointed with this company for not providing the service that I am paying for. My ac went out and they can't find anyone to work on it for 6 days. Had the same issues when I had my furnace go out it took three weeks. All I want is for my ac to be fixed in a reasonable amount of time.

I was told they couldn't get a service rep in my area. Can not recommend this company. I have been paying for over 6 years and can't ever get service quickly and professionally.

I am paying for a service and not receiving what the company promises.

I am very disappointed in this company.

Original review: June 20, 2018

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT A HOME WARRANTY DON`T GO WITH TOTAL PROTECT AC WENT OUT THEY SAID THERE WAS NO SERVICE PROVIDER IN MY AREA WOULD BE JULY BEFORE SOMEONE COULD COME .IT WAS JUNE 12 2018 MEDICAL EMERGENCY SPENT HOURS ON THE PHONE WITH THEM VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Original review: June 20, 2018 I called yesterday and was given a Name and date for appointment, I had to confirm the appointment. When I tried to do it the person on the phone told me we are already booked!! 5 minutes later
I called back and they gave me another claim #2 and phone. I called the guy and he was busy and supposed to call me back! Nothing
Today I got a call from a guy with no advice for a guy i could not even understand him.

I called back the company and surprise the second one could not take the job and my claim was transferred to another company???

Worst service I never imagined

Original review: June 20, 2018

I would give zero stars if it were an option. I opened a claim on Memorial Day for our two AC units not working at all. The claim was opened and closed several times as each of the providers you gave us said they were no longer doing Home warranty service for your company. The service providers didn’t call me, I had to call and leave them messages then call back again only to finally have them tell me they wouldn’t service us. Fast forward 2 weeks of this same issue and one of your service people gave us a provider and said she had just spoken to them and they would get us service the following day. I called the provider the second I got off the phone w your service person and they said no one had called them from your company nor could they service me the following day. The company did finally come out after being without AC for more than 2 weeks and diagnosed the problems. Fast forward another week and I was offered options to which I immediately called back and told them we will do repair/replace. The service provider did their part then your company created further delays because they couldn’t get their computer entries straight. Finally, I was notified by the new company that the parts were ordered. The following day they called me back and said Total Protect ordered the wrong parts. Throughout this mess I’ve spoken to about 8-10 different customer service reps w your company and Freda a supervisor of some sort. Freda was sickening sweet in a very condescending way and spoke to me like I was a child. She offered nothing but insincere, “I’m sorry to hear that Ms **” comments. Now, it’s been 3 weeks and 2 days since we opened this claim and it’s been 95-100 degrees out w dangerous heat indexes as I still sit w no AC. I have 3 children, 2 dogs and a husband and this is inexcusable. I can’t afford to have been staying in a hotel for 3+ weeks nor could the average person. I’d like some help from someone, I’d like some kind of compensation for what we’ve had to endure. I pay my premium for your company every month and I get deplorable service. Freda said you’ve done your part by getting us service providers and that it’s not your fault they wouldn’t service us. I view every step of this problem as your fault because it’s certainly not my fault. If I could take out media advertising against Total Protect I would do it so this doesn’t happen to another family.

Original review: June 20, 2018

TotalProtect Home Warranty seemed to be a better service than calling individual persons when appliances break down and it has everything under one plan. My washing machine wasn’t working properly and I called them. The technicians were fine but it took three times for them to get it right. They came out once to check on it. They came out to put the part, and then they had to order the part. They didn’t have the right one. I have the maintenance part of TotalProtect which is good and I’m satisfied. It’s worth looking into and I’ve told people about it.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Harriet - We are delighted to hear that we’ve been able to satisfy your home warranty needs and appreciate your feedback. Our ultimate goal is to provide an effortless claim experience and make managing home repairs easy. Thank you for being a truly valued customer! Sincerely, Austin

Original review: June 20, 2018

TotalProtect sounded like a good deal and we found out it is. We enrolled over the phone and the process was really easy. Every time I've called the reps have been thoughtful, very helpful and kind. Submitting a claim is also very easy. When I call, I always wait for a customer rep. I could do it completely through the automated but I prefer not to use it. When we lost power about a month ago, they hooked us up with someone. They told the gentleman I had cancer and he came out at 12 o'clock at night.

We try to get the same technicians back as long as they're still in the program. Since they've been here, I always ask and that's another reason I like speaking to a rep. They'll check and see who we had, but I had it documented, and if that person is still in the system then we get them back, which makes it easier because they're familiar with our home and with what they've worked on previously. I just dial that one number and I don't have to worry about finding somebody because nowadays most of these small businesses don't like dealing with just a little person. TotalProtect is well worth the money and we've told quite a few friends about it. They take care of everything and help the best they can.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Donna - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are delighted to hear that we’ve been able to satisfy your home warranty needs. Thank you for being a loyal customer! - Austin

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 19, 2018 I called TotalProtect on June 10, 2018 to report an issue with my air conditioning. They sent 1st technician on 6/12 from first HVAC company. He said I needed a condenser but he didn't have time to go back to the office to get the part.

Total Protect send technician #2 from the second HVAC and he gave a different diagnosis saying I need a zone board. Total protect says they don't cover it. I called a HVAC for a 3rd opinion and guess what, I got a third diagnosis saying the evaporator coil. I called Total Protect and they told me to email my third report and call them back. 6/19 I called they wouldn/t let me speak to a supervisor or manager. I was told I have to wait 5 days for them to look at my diagnosis report. Meanwhile I am paying them monthly for the service, it's 90 degrees in my house. This is my first claim with them since 2012.They are awful!

Original review: June 19, 2018

I recently placed a claim for my AC / Unit. The original problem was intermittent service. They scheduled their in network service provider and he mentioned to me it had hi head pressure. Ruben the technician asked for a water hose and drenched the condensar and sparks flew all over the place. I immediately ran downstairs and turned off the the circuit breaker. He suggested I didn't turn on the circuit breaker til the following day. He provided me my written diagnosing stating " High Head Presssure"

Long story short my claim has been denied, and I have not been given a reason why

I spoke with Kaitelyn (Supervisor) with no avail. She also mention they are not responsible for their preferred vendors incompetence, and I had to pursue them personally.

She suggested I get a second opinion, I said OK, but I will higher a reputable expert in town. She was quick to point out I need authorization, I politely asked for authorization, and was denied, she said it has to be one of their preferred contractors, which again I am responsible for if the cause further damage.

Long Story Short:
1. My claim was denied, and I have no reason why
2. Their preferred contractor caused further damage ( and will not take responsiblity)
3. The damage their contractor caused is not covered
4. I still have to use their preferred contractor for a second opinion ( At my Risk)

5. 102-104 Degrees with a 6 month old baby in the house. ( they don't care)

As a proud member over 30 years in my local
Realtor Association

Homebuilders Association

I will have a duty to articulate my frustration and concerns on any of my colleagues experiencing this autrocity of service and responsibility. I trust they will spread the word.

Hopefully I can upload the initial diagnoses

MY Contract number is **

Original review: June 19, 2018

Some of our appliances were beginning to age and were out of manufacturer’s warranty, so getting a home warranty service seemed like a prudent thing to do. I’ve had TotalProtect for a number of years now. It’s not difficult to submit a claim and it normally goes pretty well when the technicians come out. I’ve had several claims over the years and TotalProtect is generally quite good about sending someone rather quickly. The recent one was when I had an air conditioning claim. It was on a Friday when we got home and the house was hot. It’s hot here in Texas and I went over to my stepdaughter’s house to sleep for two nights because it was over a weekend. A repairman came on Sunday so that was pretty quick. And it was considered by the TotalProtect people as a rush job because of the extreme heat at the time.

I had one occasion where I called about a drainage problem with my kitchen sink. I needed it to be fixed by a plumber and a plumber was selected. He came and he told me after he talked to the people at TotalProtect that the claim was not covered after all. I had to pay him his regular fee in addition to the $125, that’s now in place where it used to be $75. And I was unhappy about that because the initial person at TotalProtect should have told me it was an uncovered claim. They treated it as covered and then when the person called in, they found out that was not true. That cost me extra money unnecessarily. But he did very well. He hated to have to charge me extra because he knew I thought it was covered. It was just clearing a drain and running a device down a pipe to clear a clog.

We also had one for the washing machine when it was making a very bad sound. I called about it and someone came. They selected Sears repair people to come and the fellow came. He said those were bearings that needed to be fixed. I was gonna be gone for a while so, I said we would schedule it when I come back. We did and the person came and they had to order different parts.

The parts finally came and then the repairman came. He said I was gonna have to have somebody move the washer out of the place where it was because he didn’t have room to work there and he won’t put it back either. I had my son-in-law move it in the garage in an open area where he came and installed the parts. And he begrudgingly agreed to push it back into place for me and I didn’t have to get my son-in-law back. The guy said they’re not allowed it to do that. I said, “Well, what am I supposed to do?” You couldn’t even attach the water lines. They wouldn’t reach from where he had it in the garage to where it was supposed to be. But he attached it.

It had been a while since I ran the washing machine. So, I started a small load and fortunately, I was fairly close to the machine because it started filling with water and the water never stopped. Pretty soon, it was pouring over the top. I set it for small load and no matter how big the load is, it shouldn’t pour out over the top. I ran outside the house and shut off all the water to the house just to make it stop. And I was sweeping and sweeping to get the water filling the garage out to the street. I finally got the water mopped up, swept out, and called them. They came a week later and it was another substantial period of time before I could get somebody.

The guy came back and he understood that whatever he had done, he didn’t finish something because I had that problem. He took the front of the machine off, this time he didn’t move it out of it’s normal space, and he found that a vacuum line was not connected and that vacuum line needs to be connected to signal the electronics of when to stop putting water in it. He just re-attached it and that was it. It was a simple claim. But he wondered if I had inadvertently undone it. How the heck could I do that? I can’t even get the front of the panel off.

He was much nicer on the second visit than the first time. But it was about three weeks between when the first person diagnosed the problem. Then, waiting for the parts, getting the guy there, and then getting them back again. This was quite a space of time, so that made me pretty unhappy. But they fixed the problem and it worked out okay.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Shirley - Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thanks! - Austin

Original review: June 19, 2018

I'm a Wells Fargo client and when Wells Fargo sent the information about TotalProtect, I signed up for it. And I've had TotalProtect for almost seven years. When our furnace went out in winter time, I made a claim and the local unit they were dealing with made four appointments for me to have a heater checked out. It was right around Christmas time and they tried to set up a day to go out but Service Champions never showed up. So I called Service Champions, and I was told that TotalProtect called them and set up an appointment but didn't check with them whether they could handle it or not. They added that it was the time of the year that they couldn’t handle it. I was without a heater until after Christmas, and they came out on the 4th of January.

Service Champions was very professional. They diagnosed the problem and did a fantastic job. They told me not to use the downstairs furnace because I could cause a fire. Their guy gave me the price on a unit and it was $3,000. And then they needed a part of a motor which was $700, and the price of the repairs was about $4,500. The price of a new furnace was $6,100 and the old furnace itself was 27 years old. So I told them to just put in a new one, and they did. It was all approved by Service Champions and I thought, TotalProtect. But then I found out that TotalProtect didn't approve it.

I fought with TotalProtect for four months and didn't get any local help. You couldn't contact the same person that you talked to before in customer service, plus there was no record of calls. It was lousy. They put us on hold forever. Sometimes we waited 45 minutes or an hour and nothing was ever happening. I was also told that the Service Champions they used wasn't the same ones that I've used. They added that it was the same company but one's in Northern California and other in Southern California.

It was a terrible experience and I don't know what the big problem was but TotalProtect wouldn’t give us anything until it got turned over to a lady at the corporate office. She got involved and was very helpful. She approved everything but then she said that they can't pay the full amount. She ended up giving me $3,000 and sent a check within 24 hours. Everything was settled and I'm very well pleased with them now. I'm still paying their monthly fee.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

John - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

Original review: June 18, 2018

I've had good experience with TotalProtect. The service was offered to me at a discount through my bank many years ago. And then, when I needed the service, I just called TotalProtect's number up and I talked to the operator then scheduled the appointment set up. Once they had it setup successfully, I was given the number of the contractors and then I called them up, and they already have a claim number available at their end. So typically, TotalProtect can give me to couple with the contractors to get a job done and two were very quick. It depends on the availability of the contractors. Also, there was some time when the contractor was not able to make the appointment at the time scheduled by the TotalProtect. So, I needed the contractors to set up a particular time when they were available for the service. That was out of TotalProtect’s hand.

There was also an instance where I called TotalProtect about the appointment but then the phone directly went to the contractors. Maybe it covers for speedup in the communication with the contractors but given that I intended to talk to TotalProtect, I was surprised that I was connected directly to the contractor. Other than, that everything looks good. Then, in terms of the quality of service that TotalProtect can provide, it depends if all contractors are really good ones and they’re reliable, and they know their job. So far, I've had mostly good ones.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Gang - Thank you for sharing your warranty experience. Providing efficient repairs and excellent customer service is our primary goal as your warranty company. Thank you for being such a loyal customer! Sincerely, Austin

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2018 For years I've been paying TotalProtect expecting they'd be there when needed. BIG MISTAKE!

On a Friday afternoon, I called TotalProtect for a plumbing overflow emergency. Going through the auto-system went pretty smooth and an email confirmation followed, with an assigned local service provider and an indication for a next day service. Not perfect but we could make an effort... Not for too long... Calling the service provider it was revealed the earliest they'd be available is Monday. Being unacceptable with a bio-hazard situation like this, it triggered a series of call to TotalProtect. I spent literally hours over four calls going through all the system steps, verification, holds, unfulfilled promises and couldn't even get a supervisor to speak with me, not even to return a call they promised to do... It was only on Saturday morning that on another call the agent agreed to authorize me to bring my own service provider to take care of the problem with the promise to get reimbursed. Let's see how this will go... Bottom line - incapable home warranty service, lack of empathy, clueless and helpless.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Ehud - We are sorry to hear of the problems you experienced obtaining service for your plumbing emergency. We aim to provide each of our customers with quick and efficient service, and it is apparent that we missed our goal. We have located your account and will be reaching out to you regarding your concerns. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: June 17, 2018

We've been with TotalProtect for five years and the service has been fine, but this is gonna be the last time that we're using them. First of all, calling them and finding out who you should be speaking to is an issue. They don't specifically tell you and you're transferred from one person to another. Also, I honestly feel that half the people who I speak to don't know what they're talking about or don't know their jobs well.

We have four free services a year for paying $55 a month and I called them about two weeks ago. I told the rep that I want air conditioner maintenance. She said to me that I don't qualify and I should have done that in May. That totally threw me off as I had no idea that I was broken down to certain months. I've been doing this forever and this was the first time this happened. Then, I asked their customer service. They put me on hold for about five minutes then after coming back, they said that they would call me anywhere between 24 and 48 hours. I have yet to receive that call. Also, when we had a repair problem, the price has gone up to $125 dollars for somebody to come in and make a repair. That might seem reasonable and in a way, it is, because the warranty supposedly covers everything. So in other words, if something went wrong with my heating system, they would pay for the whole thing.

When I've talked to the techs who've come in, it seemed that they were not very satisfied with TotalProtect and what they offered too. When I asked one guy what would it take for us to get a new heating system, he said, "Probably to have a carbon monoxide poisoning." Also, a lot of times TotalProtect gave me names and the people were no longer working for them. In the beginning, I would have recommended TotalProtect, but we're just not satisfied with them anymore.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Margie - It is clear that your experience was less than expected, and we did not meet your expectations. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

Original review: June 17, 2018

We've been with TotalProtect for years and years. I usually call in for a claim and tell them what's wrong. More than luckily, I get a recording and I leave a message. But whenever I talk to people, they are fine at first. The representatives contact the service department and tell me that they'll be calling me. It was wonderful with TotalProtect until the last claim, although a lot of it was not their fault. The first service people that they sent out didn't ever show up nor answer the phone. So, TotalProtect changed it to another service people. Then they came out and looked at the washing machine and said that it had to have a new motor. So, I gave them the service fee of $125.

The service people had to order the motor but I didn't hear anything from them. I finally called TotalProtect and they contacted the contractor. They were told that the motor hadn't come in yet. It went on for four weeks. Then, the serviceman came out and said, "I can't get this motor out of this machine." He also said that he was gonna tell TotalProtect that the machine couldn't be repaired after all that time. I never heard anything from TotalProtect again until I kept calling and sending messages. And finally, I got to talk to a man and by that time, I had bought a new washer for about $700 and a dryer since I had to have a washing machine. The dryer quit too, but I didn't even bother reporting that. I sent TotalProtect the invoice. In a few weeks, I got a check from TotalProtect for $135 and I felt bad. Other than that, we always have had a good time and good service with TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Paula - I can definitely understand the frustration of having problems with your washing machine. We are sorry that the technician we sent out is not the service we aim to provide for our customers. Thank you for being a long time customer with us. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: June 16, 2018

I've been with TotalProtect for so long. I'm not really happy filing my claim through the the internet so I would go on their website and get to the 'Contact us' number and called. Their reps were outstanding. I've never had any problem. Plus every time I've had a problem, the contractors fixed it. When my hot water went out I did an upgrade and had to retrofit it to California earthquake standards. They explained that all to me and it was well done. It's part of the deal too. Because it was a California law, TotalProtect paid the whole deal except for my deductible. It was good. My sister just bought a new house and I just recommended TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Michael - We are thrilled to hear that you’ve had an awesome warranty experience. Providing efficient repairs and excellent customer service is our primary goal as your warranty company. Thank you for your loyalty, and thanks for sharing! - Austin

Original review: June 16, 2018

TotalProtect Home Warranty offered us great rates through my bank. Submitting a claim is mostly done online so it's pretty easy. There were a couple of questions about the maintenance for my account that the first representative didn't know and he consulted with someone else, and they were able to get the question answered. The technicians have been very professional and nice. If they found any additional issues, they let me know or contact the warranty company to see if it's covered. TotalProtect is a good investment for the home.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I will not recommend Total Protect to nobody. They lie when it comes to repairs, in my case AC, been with the company for 11 years now that my AC broke, everytime I called is a different history, I asked to speak with a manager, waited for 43 minutes, when she came to the telephone her answered was they can’t fix my ac because it was rusted indicating of lack of maintenance, when I told her which ac sitting outside under weather will stay un rusted after 11 years, she didn’t No what to said, to make the story short they are not worthy... no reliable at all

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Juana - I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and rust and corrosion is not addressed by the warranty. We’re sorry to hear the warranty did not meet your needs. Thanks, Austin

Original review: June 15, 2018 My double oven went out 2 1/2 weeks ago. We called the warranty company and a contractor was sent out. The contractor told us that he was ordering a part and it would take 2 or 3 days to get it. No problem. In the meantime, the contractor plugged the oven in and said we could still use it. We went to church on the following day and came home to the oven heating the house. Thank God we came directly home or we may not have had a home to go to. We did not hear further from contractor, so we gave him a call. He said he notified the warranty company that parts for my oven no longer exists. I called the warranty company and they tell me my order was closed due to completion. I explained to them what the contractor told me. They called the contractor and he confirmed what I told them. Then I was told that the order would be transferred to the claims department and we should hear from them shortly. Again 2 1/2 weeks later, I am on the phone this morning for 31 minutes trying to talk with a supervisor, since the phone techs could not give me any more info other than it is being reviewed.
I am a real estate broker for 40 years and have used warranty companies for most of that time. Never have I had to wait 2 1/2 weeks for the company to make a decision. It is obvious that the oven has to be replaced. It does not take a Phi Beta Kappa to come to that conclusion, let alone take such a long time and still no decision.
In the meantime, the air conditioning went out. We called the work order in and I explained that it is over 100degrees here and my husband has a heart condition. The clerk noted this on order. The contractor called us 3 days later and said he would be out sometime the week of the 18th. So we called a local contractor and paid for there services.

I need a manager or supervisor to contact me ASAP with a decision made. I don't think this is too much to ask.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I wanted to make sure to have everything protected. I’m not a handy person and I didn’t want the headaches. In my research, I found that TotalProtect had the best balance between good customer service, the right coverage that I was looking for and pricing. They were a little bit more than a couple other ones I had narrowed down to, but at the end of the day, it seemed like TotalProtect was the better option with regards to coverage and the company. And they've lived up to it.

We had one incident but the company took care of it. When the dishwasher was getting fixed, the person who came out didn’t connect the hose and it ended up causing damage. We ended up putting a claim through our homeowners insurance which collected from TotalProtect and they ended up collecting from the contractor that they hired. It all worked out. Stuff happens and the important thing was that TotalProtect stood behind it. And except for that one incident, everything’s been good in terms of the quality of work. I would recommend TotalProtect to people who are having any kind of problems.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Alex - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are delighted to hear that we’ve been able to satisfy your home warranty needs. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: June 15, 2018

I got a home warranty because of all the appliances that was covered and it gave me a few smile. In my past experience, TotalProtect was more efficient. Their claims reps were friendly, helpful and were very knowledgeable. And their contractor had knowledge about the appliance. But with the recent claim, they said it was in the review because the contractor said he would need a replacement. It seemed like they were taking a little bit too long to get back with me. Previously, it only took them about 30 minutes to let me know over the phone.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Eric - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service.Thank you for being a truly valued customer! Sincerely, Austin

Original review: June 14, 2018

I bought some property and the realtor let us know about TotalProtect Home Warranty and I decided to buy it for our home as well. Over the years, most claims dealt with the plumbing, electrical and mainly for air conditioning and heating. I usually submit my claims online. Their website is user-friendly. I put in a claim and within about 15 minutes to half an hour, they'll email back to tell me who they assigned the project to and their phone number. Then I get a hold of them and we make an appointment. It gets taken care of within a day. It's fast. On the phone though, it's very difficult to get hold of anybody. All the technicians that have come out were good and 90% of the time, the quality of work done has been fine.

We've had an issue with the refrigerator which they continued to fix it but it would only last for about a month or two. One of the guarantees they have is that if an appliance can't be fixed, they'll replace it but that has never happened with us and it was never gonna happen with the refrigerator. They were gonna continue to send out a service person to do a temporary fix and it was gonna break down and we'll just go over that cycle over and over. Now it's up to $125 from $100 for any visit from any technician which is a little more expensive because some projects could be done for less than $125. So we decided it'd probably end up being cheaper to just buy a new refrigerator. That's been the only thing they've never taken care of. They never replaced any appliances we have but they've been fixed, so that's fine.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Russell - We appreciate you taking the time to share your warranty experience. We do our best to provide quick and reliable service and we thank you for being a loyal customer. - Austin

Original review: June 14, 2018

I had TotalProtect Home Warranty on my other home and I have it now on my condo. Eventually, I will have it back on this house that I will be moving in. It has gone pretty good when I submit a claim. We use Mike for our claims. He is thorough and he lets me know exactly what it is. Also, he's very helpful, very nice, and friendly. But on the second claim, it went a little slow. I asked for Mike but they sent me somebody else and they were completely out of range. One was very rude and I told TotalProtect not to send him back again. I asked again for Mike and they finally said they would. And after I talked with him, it went fine. The only thing that would bother me is that if something happens, it takes me a little while to get somebody to do it. But after I got a hold of Mike, he was right out. Other than that, I’m satisfied with TotalProtect so far. My needs were met when I had to call them.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Betty - We appreciate you and strive to make managing home repairs easy. We are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. Thank you for your feedback! Sincerely, Austin

Original review: June 13, 2018

My water heater went out, had a tech come and said i needed a new one. Total Protect said that it needed to be reviewed by the research department, it took them 5 days to research because they don't work on weekends. Each time i would call to find out what the status was i would get the same answer it is in research and we cannot connect you to them, we will send a request to make it a priority and have someone contact you. I would ask for a supervisor and one was never available, even after being on the phone for over an hour. They said they would have one call me back, seven days later and no one has ever called me back. i have had to call everyday to see what my status was, finally found out that the claim was approved but it now needed to go back to the review dept for them to send the request for the water heater to be shipped; this could take two day i was told, WHAT? it has been a week already that my family has not had hot water to shower, clean dishes and clothes properly. I said that is ridiculous and needed to be emergent, again i was told they will send a request and someone should call me back. horrible customer service. I also have to pay on top of the $125 fee because they do not pay for some parts and a certificate that my state requires, according to the commercial you don't pay anymore that the call-out fee. Fine print says you will pay for items they do not feel are necessary is what i was told.

Original review: June 13, 2018

When I purchased my home, TotalProtect was one of those warranty things. Back then, I had another company and then I had TotalProtect. However, I had to stop both of them because I can’t afford it anymore. Still, I went back to TotalProtect because it was a lot cheaper than the other company. Whenever I submit a claim, I call them or do it online and the reps that I speak with are helpful with whatever claim I was making and help me put the claim through. I’ve had people who were more experienced, but the last rep I spoke with when I wanted them to come out and look at my sink and faucet might have been a little bit inexperienced. She said she would send me a response in an email but I didn't get one and didn't hear anything back.

As for the technicians who came, everybody did pretty well. But, the guy that came to fix the doorbell was acting erratically. He asked me if I have a ladder and I got it for him. Then when he went up in the attic in the bedroom upstairs, he was looking for the transformer box for my doorbell and he just left it all open. Everybody else usually comes in, completes the job and put everything back like it was. Other than that, I’m satisfied with TotalProtect overall and I love it. I've already referred four people to them including my sister down at Seaford.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Laneta - We appreciate you and strive to make managing home repairs easy. We are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. Thank you for your feedback! Sincerely, Austin

Original review: June 13, 2018

I've been with TotalProtect for a few years now. The application was painless. There was one phone call and then I got enrolled, and then they started charging me directly to my bank account. I've submitted a few claims and their submission process has definitely improved over the few recent years. There were some engineers that were assigned to my requests who were really good and some of them weren't as good. There was one in particular where I had put in a claim to fix the cooktop and the contractor that TotalProtect assigned me told me that they cannot repair it because they were afraid it might break it. They also told me that if they break it, they would not cover it. So I had to pay out-of-pocket to get that repaired.

There was another time I called to have a service ticket opened and TotalProtect told me that they have an engineer that could come on a particular day. I asked them to find somebody else for me because I was not available that day. They told me that they cannot assign me anybody else and that I had to make myself available. I've also had a couple of issues with my AC and I've told them that I needed it to get repaired. However, they told me that if the temperature was not above 95, they cannot do it on an emergency basis. It has to come in line and then they will find time to service the request. I live in a town where sometimes it becomes unbearable if there's a problem with the air conditioning, especially these hot days that we have here in DC, so it would be better if there's a way that they can put in that emergency clause.

Also, I used to pay $75 as a deductible on my policy. Then, I got a letter from them telling me that they need to raise it. It then changed to $125. It was a very steep increase. But because I like the policy and I know I will receive that insurance on my assets in my house, I got the policy. I haven't had the chance to look at what the other companies are asking for, but if given a chance, I would definitely like to have people coming out. It's really high in my mind.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Anand - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

Original review: June 12, 2018

I am extremely disappointed in the service I have been provided thus far by Total Protect related to my air conditioner. I have an open claim since 5/10/18 and have been given the run around. I have called daily since Wednesday 5/6 and each day I am told someone will call me back and no one calls me back. I have been forwarded to case management and was told the same thing. I am put on hold for long periods of time and then told I will call you back. Each time I speak to someone they give me hope to be let down again. I am livid at this point and appalled with your customer service. I have had numerous friends switch to your home warranty as I thought it was a reputable company. Though I have not received a call back I did receive a text from your company on 6/1 stating Home Warranty Notice: that parts were ordered and have been sent to my service partner. It also stated to call the service partner in 3 to 5 business days which I did and was told the parts are on back order and the order was deleted by Total Protect. How is this happening? I informed Total Protect that the temps in Las Vegas were 100 + and we were issued a heat warning. I also informed you that I have pets and elderly people in my home. I was also told multiple times my case was listed as emergency and then they put as a medical emergency. This is truly appalling that you tell your customers it is an emergency but you do not react as it is an emergency. I have never received this bad of service by any company in my whole life. For a customer who has never been late on one payment, to be treated in this fashion is negligent. Your plan states I will not be reimbursed if I go outside the plan which puts me between a rock and a hard place. I have done everything possible to keep my house as cool as possible (covered windows, not used my oven, cold showers, but it is unbearable at times as my indoor temp showed 95 this weekend. As I write this I have been put on hold and have been waiting for over 50 minutes. This seems surreal that Total Protect operates with such poor customer service to loyal customers.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I've been a member of TotalProtect for 15 years. Whenever I submit a claim, I call them on the phone and there's no difficulty in their claims process. Although I've not had a lot of service that has to be done, every technician that came out and I've dealt with had been great including a lot of the guys at American Veteran Air Conditioning Service. I recommend TotalProtect Home Warranty all the time.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Jennifer - Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thanks! - Austin

TotalProtect Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

TotalProtect Home Warranty, headquartered in Sunrise, Florida, is part of the Cross Country Home Services, Inc. family of home-related companies, which has been in business since 1980. TotalProtect offers three different plan options, so consumers can select which systems or appliances they want covered.

• Guarantee of work: Unlike most home warranty companies, TotalProtect Home Warranty provides an 180-day guarantee on all service work provided under their warranty policy, so consumers have six months to follow-up on service calls if the results were unsatisfactory.

• Service providers: TotalProtect has 40,000 screened service providers around the country. In addition, consumers are surveyed after every service call and their comments are included in the company’s “Dynamic Vendor Rating System.”

• Price options: Consumers can choose to pay $75, $100 or $125 for each service call. The monthly premium will be lower if customers select a higher service call fee, which the company refers to as a deductible.

• Customer service: TotalProtect customers with questions about their policy or who need to request service can reach a U.S.-based customer service representative 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Representatives are available 365 days a year.

• Limit amounts: The total limit for claims on the least costly policy is $10,000 and the limit per appliance on that policy is $1,500; higher limits apply on other policies.

• Best for: first-time buyers, home sellers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Information