toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Harriett – Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the services we’ve provided to you and for your loyalty! Our goal is to deliver on our promises. We appreciate your feedback! - Tanya

Original review: July 13, 2017

Total Protect sounded better coverage-wise than what we had and we’re on our second year with them. I submit claims over the phone and their claims rep were good, responded right away and gave me who I have to call to follow up with. They come out quarterly to check either heating, plumbing in the house, or different things and they’ve been very thorough and very good. We’ve been happy so far and very pleased. We get everything taken cared of when we call.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Cynthia – Thanks for sharing! We’re glad that you had a good experience and we’ve satisfied your home warranty needs. – Janet

Original review: July 4, 2017

TotalProtect's price was within budget so I chose them. One time there was a minor issue but they resolved it immediately. Overall, I had a good experience with TotalProtect and have been satisfied.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Otis - we appreciate your comments about your claims and are glad to hear you had good experiences with our customer service agents and our Service Technicians. Thanks for your patience with the delay and for sticking with us! - Louise

Original review: July 3, 2017

I've contacted TotalProtect for repairs on my plumbing, hot water tank and then my floor furnace and the service has been real well, especially when I call. Submitting a claim can be done online but I'd rather speak with a representative. I feel more secure that way and they are very helpful. So far every last one of the technicians they've sent was excellent, except for the one with the heater. Not many people in California work on full furnaces and the first person they sent out didn't work on them. That caused a delay but it was no big deal and before that, I haven't had any trouble at all with the repairs. So far everything has been excellent and that's why I'm sticking with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer
I am paying $40/month for the service. Recently, I filed a washing machine claim because it doesn't work at all. It took about a week to get someone to start working on it. Today, I find out that there are 2 parts of the washing machine that aren't covered - inner basket and spider mount. After seeing these parts online, they are inside of the washing machine! Which is crazy that they aren't covered!
But wait, it gets worse...

So after finding this out, I am told to call the manufacturer and then see if they cover these parts. After 1 hour and being forwarded from one number, to a Sears number, to another number, I gave up. Nobody is helping me to figure this out. Which means that I am on my own and that I will need to pay for the parts out of pocket since TotalProtect doesn't cover parts inside of the washing machine! !

So let me give you a breakdown of my experience:
- I pay $40/month for the service
- I spent $125 to get the technician to look at my machine
- It has been over 1 week since my washing machine has worked and it won't be working for many more days as I can see

- I will probably need to pay out of pocket for these 2 parts that aren't covered. At least $200 as I saw on the internet

Summary:

I'm basically paying for the whole washing machine to get replaced. But rather than buying a brand new one for $400 - $500, I'm paying in parts to TotalProtect, losing weeks of time, and will be left with an old washing machine with new parts inside.

What is the point of this coverage?

Absolutely 0 benefit and 100% waste of time and money.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Sometimes it was a little shaky with the technicians that TotalProtect send out. The way the technicians worded their assessment of the situation prevented me from having the repair covered, which I didn't necessarily agree with because it wasn't my fault. And then, there were times when I did have a service provider that was just not responsive. Other than that, everything's been good and I haven't had any major problems when submitting claims.

My refrig quit working on 8/22. I have called with many long waits and assured problem would be correct ed within next day or two. It is now almost 4 weeks and still refrig not working. Today servicemen was suppose to have this as his first call of the day. I stayed home waiting and called a couple of times and was told would be here in 90 minutes. At midafternoon today (TH) was told that he would try to get out here next Monday. If you get a policy with this company, based on my experience it will take it a month or more to make a repair.

AC service claim was denied because my freon was low 3lbs. I live in central Alabama and the unit is almost 5 years old. The technician did not find a leak or any other issue with the furnace or exterior unit. Total denied my claim and said it was pre-existing condition. Obviously this to me seems like a normal wear and tear maintenance type deal. I canceled because it seems they could deny pretty much anything.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It seemed like a practical decision to get a home warranty so I got one. I did it with TotalProtect Home Warranty which was offered through Bank of America. Submitting a claim was a very favorable experience. The technician that they sent out was very knowledgeable and he did an outstanding job.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect has a reasonable price and coverage. Everybody worked in a professional manner. They assisted me in every way possible and everything went along fine as far as me signing up and getting everything activated. And I liked that they informed me in a timely fashion that I would be getting a slight increase, which was about $4 or $5. My experience thus far has been very favorable.

I’m lucky I have TotalProtect. I put a claim in and they responded in a timely fashion. They didn't have to replace a part but it was a service to clear out something and reset the appliance in a manner that I didn’t know how. And the tech had to show me because I didn’t want to be too rough with my appliance. They took care of the problem for me. They did very well and professionally and I want to commend them for that.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had used TotalProtect once for the air conditioner and once for the hot water heater. We had a good experience each time. Submitting a claim was very easy, either online or by phone and their rep was excellent with the quick responses. The tech who came here was very knowledgeable too, especially for the hot water heater. He gave us all of the details so that was really a good experience. TotalProtect have lived up to expectations.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My home is not new so things happen with electric or appliances and it makes sense to have a home warranty. Submitting a claim with TotalProtect was easy. Their reps did what they were supposed to. They contacted whoever was the contractor for that particular area and told me who that was. They set up an appointment and they showed up. They went right to the area, took care of it, told me if they had to come back or how long it would take. When the air conditioning unit froze, somebody came and had to turn it off. They came back the next day and did what they needed to. Overall, TotalProtect is a comfort. It's something that a home owner should have. You know up front what you're going to have to put out and most of the time that initial output is all you have to put out depending on the situation. I’ve recommended TotalProtect Home Warranty to people. It's been a great experience with them.

Trying to cancel policy! They dbl'ed their service call payments. Took 3 separate companies to fix our central air last month, nobody got it right!! I am now in the process of cancelling my membership. I have been in hold for close to 4 hrs!!! Transferred to 4 different departments & still waiting, they are extremely rude when they answer & transfer me to someone else!!! Next call... BBB. Horrible company!!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I signed up for a home warranty with Total Protect in response to some marketing material from our credit union. It was a problem from day 1! The agent that I spoke to took all my information over the phone including my credit card information and said I would receive my contract in the mail within the following days. After not receiving anything, I contacted them and they couldn't find record of my account with them. After numerous emails and calls to a "supervisor" by the name of William **, he told me that "they [TotalProtect] identified when I called the initial credit card information I provided was attached to an incomplete application with partial information from your current address." After spending weeks of sorting that out, I then receive another welcome pamphlet. Thankfully, I read it and found out that they are no longer offering $1,000 back for homeowners insurance deductible, rather, they decreased it to $500. Unfortunately, this was a selling point for me when I decides to switch from American Home Shield to Total Protect. In addition, I noticed that there is a Premier Upgrade Plan Option for $10 more a month so I called and spoke to an agent by the name of "Hope" in their Anderson SC call center. She explained to me that the upgrade plan is only available the first 30 days of the warranty effective date and that she was unable to add it. I explained to her that this was never mentioned to me during the enrollment I did over the phone and that I didnt feel it was fair that it was never given to me as an option. She said that the agents "cant possibly go over all of the benefits they have during the enrollment on the phone" and that I was out of luck. I asked for her to ask her supervisor and she came back saying that they supervisor she spoke to said it could be added up to 90 days after the effective date (which I still happened to be in) but that the system was not allowing her to add it and that I would have to wait until my renewal period next year to add it. I then asked to speak to the supervisor she had been working with and she told me there wasnt a supervisor available. Matter of fact, she told me that one wouldnt be available until Monday, so clearly she was lying to me about the "help" she was getting from the supervisor she had been "working with". At that point, I told her to cancel to my contract and that I would just be going back to American Home Shield. She cancelled without any hesitation and then told me I would only receive a $5.00 refund despite the fact that my premium of $45.95 was just drafted on Sept 1st. Needless to say this entire experience has been AWFUL and will happily returning to American Home Shield! Save yourself the headache and hassle and avoid Homesure of America, Inc./TotalProtect Home Warranty. Ill be contacting our credit union to let them know they need to stop marketing this warranty company to their members. In addition, I looked up TotalProtect Home Warranty who goes by the name of Homesure of America, Inc on the BBB and they have a B rating! I'll also be lodging a complaint myself with the BBB.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have rentals and a primary property. So, it's good for me to have a home warranty. TotalProtect sounded like they had a little more to offer. And I've had an experience with another home warranty company before and I was dissatisfied. With TotalProtect, I just call in to submit a claim and they look up one of the contractors that they use and they gave me the phone number. And sometimes, they will try to call the company while I'm on the line so they can come back and give me a time and date. But if that doesn’t work, they give me the company’s phone number. So, the process is fairly easy. And I also find it a good thing that whatever company that comes out, if the same problem occurs for the same appliance, I have six months to call them back for them to fix the problem again. The technicians have been professional. TotalProtect is a great plan to have and working with them is not complicated.

very very bad customer service. They sending people that over charging home owners. last week I

needed garage door service. They send me a service company called PROTECH GARAGES LLC .They came to my house to look at the garage. charged me$250.00 we paid that money. They never came back to fix my garage, it is been going on two weeks. Today I called to check on my status. The company is not answering the phone. So I contacted total protect they telling me they are not covering my garage door service. After I paid$250.00 I need to call some else to fix my garage. so I dont recomend TOTAL PROTECT OR PROTECH GARAGES FOR ANY ONE.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My mortgage company offered TotalProtect and I got it. It was a good idea for the money to get a home warranty. I called and submitted a couple of claims and they’ve been good. I've had three episodes and the claims reps were always polite and helpful. The technicians were also pleasant and they did their job. I gave them the money and everybody was happy. But TotalProtect raised my deductible from 75 to a 100 and a year later raised it to 125 so I almost canceled it. I just forgot to do it. Nevertheless they saved me a lot of money and did what they were supposed to.

When we attempted to make a claim on our water heater, we were told it would be several days before someone could come out. We ended up researching the issue and fixing the problem ourselves ($5 repair) rather then be without hot water for several days during the winter and paying $75 deductible.

Next our microwave went out. We filed a claim and could not get anyone out for several days. Once a repair tech came out he agreed that it would need to be replaced. It took two weeks to get the new one delivered since the customer service "forgot" to place the order. Then we were told there was no one available to install it. After calling multiple times to arrange installation we again did the work ourselves. We ended up being without our appliance for nearly a month. We paid $75 deductible on top of our monthly payment.

Now our dishwasher has an issue and again we're told it would be three weeks before anyone could come out. Again we ended up figuring out the issue and fixing it on our own.

We decided to cancel our service and we're on hold for over an hour before finally talking to someone. We were told that we would have to pay $370+ to cover the cost of the microwave we had claimed earlier in the year. If we don't pay this fee we will have to continue paying our monthly fee for six more months and any other claims would add to the price to get out of the service. Customer service stated we would be turned over to a collection agency immediately if we canceled our service.

Very poor customer service and long delays to get work done. Will be dropping this service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Getting a home warranty was the thing to do. I learned about TotalProtect from a friend who had it and it's been really good to us. The claims rep was very nice and helpful and the work done by the technician was very good.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Warren – Thanks for taking my call yesterday and allowing me the opportunity to address your concerns. I’m sorry that the outcome was not what you hoped for and that you have cancelled your warranty. We appreciate the feedback you have provided. Respectfully, Katie

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I had two repair within one month on my A/C unit. The first repair stated the unit was working fine, two weeks later the second repair stated the unit coils were leaking,damage, and the unit was neglected. per Total Protect. They refuse to repair or replace the unit per contract. I requested to see the written report from the A/C company and Total Protect on several ocassions. Both Company refuses to provide me the written documents requested. This Company do not live up to it's warranty.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had a water leak about three months ago and TotalProtect was real good about getting somebody out quickly. We got it fixed and I paid my increased deductible. The TotalProtect people do a nice job and we're really pleased. We're going to hang in there for sure. I'm a retired State Farm claims representative so I know about claims. TotalProtect is very efficient and everybody I talked to has been very helpful and to the point. I recommended TotalProtect to several of my friends.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I needed a home warranty program because of the age of the house. I got a flyer from TotalProtect in the mail and I read it up and thought it was good. Submitting a claim was pretty easy overall. The people at TotalProtect responded quickly and they're awesome.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I submitted a claim over the phone with their boss, who was also a neighbor, and she had a little problem getting folks together. I let her go ahead and do what she does and we got them together and it worked out. TotalProtect is a lot cheaper and I consider it a valuable commodity that's necessary for those of us living a normal life of not being able to have extreme riches. And this helps us to maintain our style of life and society is better and whole for it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've had a great experience with TotalProtect. I bought a home for the first time and I got TotalProtect’s service after seeing them online. They’re a reliable company and I would highly recommend them. However, they need to search the area where an individual lives before they allow that individual to have the home warranty. If they don't have providers in that particular area, it creates a problem. In my case, I live so far from local vendors. There's not a lot of vendors here that want to wait on their money. If they do the work, they want to get paid for it. It's not so much not wanting to come far out, it's the third-party claiming. I'm disabled and on a fixed income. So, it depends on what the job is. If I'm able to pay it, then I'll do that.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Anna – It sounds like we let you down and we’d like to address your concerns. We left you a voicemail message with our direct contact information if you would like to discuss your experience further. - Amanda

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

From their contractor network base to customer service and coverage - it's horrific. We chose to go with a contractor outside of their network because it actually saved us money and allowed us to use a contractor that has some kind of reputation online. Don't choose this insurance.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My five-ton air conditioning went out. I got in touch with TotalProtect Home Warranty and they set me up with the techs from Home Resort. The techs came out and are still working on the replacement part, but they've been out here all day yesterday. They have good personality and professionalism, all rolled into one package. And they believe, as I do, in doing it right the first time. They were awesome and I would hire them in a heartbeat.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Suella - I appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry for the confusion you had during your claim experience. I’ve located your account and reviewed your claim. We were able to make an adjustment and contacted you, leaving a message with our direct contact information if you need further assistance. - Louise

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I had a problem with my laptop, and I phoned, explained I had a battery problem, the lady in customer service said, we can fix your battery, but firstly, I need to charge you the $75 deductible, thereafter, you will go to tech support, who will troubleshoot and send someone to fix your computer, or you may need to send it in. I paid immediately and was put through to Tech support. (It took them an hour to answer).

The minute I got through to tech support the first thing he asked me was if I'd added anything to my computer, I said yes, I'd added storage, He said that makes my warranty for the computer null and void. My question is, why did customer service not ask that question as standard procedure? It does not take a tech degree to ask such a standard question. As a result, they took my $75 and refused to refund it at all. Had customer service told me that would make my computer warranty null and void, I would never have paid the deductible, but obviously this is a way the company makes money off customers.

Not only that, the tech guy apparently wrote in his notes that he'd given me phone support. HE DID NOT, and the phone recording will reflect that. So not only did customer service rob me, but Tech support lied.

When I also tried to resolve the issue, you could not get hold of a manager, and when I finally did, he said, sorry but you aren't going to be refunded. I warn anyone, this company is not worth dealing with.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was dealing with Bank of America initially and they made TotalProtect's service available. Then TotalProtect devoided themselves of that company. But the payment was still paid to Bank of America so I let everybody else know that they were no longer connected with each other. Otherwise, everybody would've been uninsured. That was a flip out on the part of the bank and TotalProtect.

We've been dealing with TotalProtect since then and they've done very good. They responded well and I'm very happy with them. I use their service for either air-conditioning or plumbing, and when I get a good company, I ask for the same one. I've had one experience where the party wasn't qualified, but I let TotalProtect know about it and we remedied that. They got to be careful who they engage and make sure they know by referral who they are. So I try to do that to make sure that they're aware of that through the service providers and how good they are. And as long as they do that, we're okay.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I bought the house, TotalProtect was the only ones that reached out to me for a home warranty. I've been very happy with them since then. We filed a claim and it's been stress-free. I called them and let them know what the problem is. They scheduled someone to come out, and they took care of it after I paid the deductible. It's been amazing and I'm so glad I got it. The techs who came were very nice, polite and professional people. They gave me good advice and suggestions and even followed up with TotalProtect to make sure that everything's been resolved. I have recommended TotalProtect to friends.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Genevieve – It sounds like there was some confusion with the cost of your coverage. We’ve located your account and will review your policy. A member of our team will contact you once the investigation is complete to address your concerns. Sincerely, Latanya

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

This is a horrible company. They are fraud. They charged me $427 for one year. I paid it and 6 months later, they wrote to me and said that they charged me less than they should've so I owe them $75.00 or they will cancel my contract. I refused to bay and cancelled my contract with them. I are yet to refund me the rest of my money. They give giving me the run around. They are thieves and fraud. Please stay away from this company!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been with TotalProtect Home Warranty for years and recently, I had to have a water heater replaced and they were right on it. The plumber was there and everything couldn't have gone any smoother, other than me being without water for a day or two, which wasn't their fault. They were awesome.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My neighbor suggested, based on their own experience, that it's not a bad idea to have a home warranty plan. With the age of the house and the state that it's in, it could break down any day. Submitting a claim with TotalProtect hasn't been a problem at all and the quality of work’s been good. The last person who was here has fixed my furnace that's up in the attic. When he determined what the problem was, rather than have him go out and get the replacement part, he just used the one that I had on hand which was the same thing that he needed. That saved me the deduction off the initial fee and everything was good to go. To this point, I've been totally satisfied with them and I have nothing but positives in terms of their service. They do what they're supposed to do and they get the job done. The people who have come out have all been very nice. However, I'm a disabled vet and a senior citizen, and TotalProtect should drop the price for an old man.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

There were all kinds of exceptions in my previous warranty company in New York and whenever I had a problem in the house, it wouldn’t be covered or a part of it wouldn't be. I got sick of that and I wasn’t happy. I wanted a warranty service that will cover what they said they were going to. I got steered towards TotalProtect when we moved here to Virginia seven years ago and I was impressed with the coverage. I’ve had a pretty good experience but there are still a couple of things that I would like to be covered at some point. Two of those are tankless water heaters and washers.

Also, though filing a claim has worked smoothly, from the time the claim is filed, it could take a while to get scheduled with the people who come and do the service. It’s been an annoyance. I’d like to see them work to get a better response from the people who come do the repairs. If I have an electrical problem, waiting three or four days is problematic for me. Other than that, I have no problem with the claim or them accepting the warranty. I also do not have any complaints with the technicians they’ve sent out. I've been pleased with them. In fact, my daughter bought a townhouse last year up in Baltimore, Maryland, and I was considering buying her a coverage through TotalProtect.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We got TotalProtect Home Warranty shortly after we bought our home 11 years ago. I submitted claims online, which has been very easy. My experiences with the techs that came were very good. Every time we've had to call we've received excellent care in our homes. We've had a great time with TotalProtect but they raised our deductible which isn't so good and is frustrating. However, we've been very satisfied and we're very happy.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Profile