Call toll free
3.69/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TotalProtect, along with its parent company Cross Country Home Services, is a leading home warranty provider with 40+ years experience serving customers nationwide. TotalProtect offers coverage for appliances, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical and more, starting at less than $1 a day. The company offers an industry-leading 6-month guarantee on covered repairs.

TRUSTe Certified Privacy
Customer Certified by Bizrate
180 Day Workmanship Guarantee
B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

TotalProtect's coverage provides ample protection for your home. With such a wide range of systems and appliances covered, you may end up paying for coverage you don't need, but the plan options and coverage limits really put them over the edge.

PROS

• Generous coverage caps
  • Long guarantee on work
  • Great coverage

CONS

• Higher service fee

Top TotalProtect Home Warranty Reviews

03/06/2019

The technicians that came out were polite, knew what they were doing, and got the job done as quickly as possible. I've had very good experiences all the times I've used TotalProtect.

05/04/2019

I had a claim on a Sunday afternoon for our air conditioner that was acting up. I had a call from the service company at 8:00, Monday morning wanting to know if they could come out to check my AC unit it. They told me they could be at my place in 20 minutes. It can't get any better than that.

TotalProtect plans

TotaProtect offers three plan options for home warranty coverage. Optional coverage for pools and spas can be added to any plan.

• Appliances Plan: Covers 9 major household appliances
  • Systems Plans: Covers 17 major home systems
  • Combo Plan: Covers all items covered in the appliances plan and the systems plan.

TotalProtect coverage

Between their three plans, TotalProtect services have coverage for all typical household systems and major appliances. In addition, they provide coverage for several items that other home warranty providers don’t cover as part of their standard package, like sump pumps, whirlpool bathtubs, smoke detectors, breaker boxes and interior electrical and gas lines. Having this level of coverage on a standard plan really sets TotalProtect apart from the pack in this area.

All TotalProtect plans also cover rust and corrosion protection and unknown pre-existing condition. This is another way TotalProtect stands out from its competitors.

Covered systems and appliances:

• Air conditioning (2-units)
  • Attic/whole house exhaust fan
  • Microwave (built-in)
  • Plumbing lines
  • Plumbing stoppages
  • Range exhaust hood
  • Refrigerator w/built-in ice and water dispenser
  • Smoke detectors
  • Sump pump
  • Toilets
  • Water heater
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Trash compactor
  • Washer/dryer

Optional coverage: Coverage is available for an additional fee for the following items: faucets, outside gas lines, outside sewer lines, outside water lines, septic tanks including pumping, standalone freezers, surge protection, swimming pools and spas, water softeners and well pumps.

TotalProtect cost

The average monthly cost for a TotalProtect home warranty is between $30–$55. TotalProtect prices are on par with other companies in the industry. The total you’ll pay will depend on your elected plan and the location of your home. In addition to your monthly payment, you will also pay a trade service call fee every time a technician is sent out to your home for a repair. For TotalProtect, this fee is $125, which hovers around $75. With all the extra coverage and higher coverage limits, you’ll have to decide if the higher service call fee is worth those added benefits. Some areas and plans may be eligible for a $75 service fee from TotalProtect, but will be charged a higher monthly fee in return.

PlanService Call FeeAverage Monthly Cost
Appliances$125 per call$31.95 ($383 per year)
Systems$125 per call$40.95 ($491 per year)
Combo$125 per call$54.95 ($659 per year)
* Prices quoted for Houston, Texas. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing for your location.

3540 TotalProtect Home Warranty Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 10, 2019

Someone who has TotalProtect referred me to the company. There been a few bumps but TotalProtect makes sure that whatever I was calling about was definitely being serviced. That's what I like about them. They stick with you through the long haul and that shows their quality. There were a couple of times that they should not have used a company that they referred me to and I expressed that to them. They got someone else and it all turned out well. Overall, they've really been good. I had service on the garbage disposal, my refrigerator, and some plumbing stuff. TotalProtect always put someone. In fact, anytime I have a plumbing issue, I'm pleased to use the same company that they've been referring out to me. That has worked out very well.

My last experience was my refrigerator and unfortunately, I had to have four people. It was the last one that came out that really found the problem. That was really where my highest level of frustration came that I just could not believe that the incident was not found out. Each time if someone came, they said it was being fixed and it was all fine. But by the next day, the same problem was still back. But the fourth person really broke the refrigerator down and thought he fixed it. But when I called and he came back, he did something a little different that no one did before and that ended up fixing the refrigerator.

TotalProtect is a wonderful company that's why I'm using them. In my case, if something wasn't fixed, I had no problem calling back. That's what it's really all about. You keep pushing and insisting what needs to be done until you get something fixed. At some point, because I was frustrated, I told TotalProtect that if they couldn't fix the refrigerator, they needed to just give me one simply for the fact that I have my father who is an elderly senior. I am his caregiver and we keep a lot of medication in the refrigerator.

But with the way my kitchen is configured, I was really hoping not to get a new refrigerator because I would have to have a little bit more space. I was glad that in the end, the refrigerator was fixed. It was just the point in any situation, you are the consumer, you're expecting good customer service and you are paying for a service. I was just determined that I was gonna hang on in there as long as TotalProtect was hanging on in there with me. I wanted it to be done and done correctly.

TotalProtect provides good customer service. Even though I've been the one to initiate calls, I like that it doesn't take a lot for me to tell them that they need to go back to their record or go back to the file and look at the previous notes. I don't know how their system is set up and how it really works, but I think that it's something that needs to be at least at the forefront when you're speaking with the representative of the company especially if it's an incident with someone who is calling back over something that has not been fixed.

When I get someone on the phone, I don't mind giving them a brief synopsis. But I don't wanna have to go totally through step-by-step when there were notes taken. That should definitely be the direction that the representative should be looking at. If they are still not understanding or they're not seeing it clearly enough and they still have additional questions, I don't mind filling that in. But it is a good thing that part of the customer service in relation to when I'm speaking to someone from the company, it's just saying, "Give me a minute. Let me look over, see what it is." They can go from there instead of saying, "Tell me what's going on," when I've already told two or three people that.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Deborah – We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback about our service. We intend to provide efficient claim resolutions and are sorry that was not always the case. We are glad to hear that you’ve received good customer service and have been pleased with your experience overall. Thanks, Angela

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

TotalProtect Home Warranty was Cross Country back in the day which was recommended by my mortgage company since we were a new homeowner. We’ve had it since 1997. I work for a fire department and I was in the military also as a reservist. My wife, not having to do homework, would pick up a phone and just pay the deductible. The only thing annoying about them is that they want their guy to come out and look at the problem, then call and tell them what’s wrong with it so they can approve it.

A great example would be when we called the air conditioner guy, he came out and said that they needed to put in a voltage regulator. Then they came out and said that TotalProtect authorized us to have a voltage regulator and they'd have to pick one up because I was not gonna go buy a $610 voltage regulator and have it on the truck because I can’t take it back until I got approval. They said that based on our description, they knew exactly what was wrong with our system. So that was the only oddity on how their system works. I wish they would let their guys say what needs to be done based on the description of the problem.

Effectively, you have to have the technician write a ticket with a full explanation of what was done. You may say, “I sprung for the $1,200,” and they say, “Our coverage would have been we will replace the component for the material. However, the labor was gonna be this.” I understand that’s how insurance works. They say, “We had to pay the guy $600 and you paid $850, so you eat the $250.” And they send you a reimbursement check. The only problem I run into now is I have a service contract and I shell out a ton of money. Three times a year, they come out and check the units. And because I have a service contract, I have to jump through the hoops if they find something wrong and their technicians just aren’t willing because they have a limited number of hours they can spend on the job.

Since I am a huge people person, I don’t wanna submit claims online and I don’t wanna do automated phone typing, and it takes forever to call them now because they want us to go online and do it. When I get online, they throw out their vendor that’s up next in their queue. If I’ve used somebody before and I want the guys to come back out, I can’t look to see if they’re available. They know what they’re dealing with versus the plumbing company of the day because that was what it is.

But I have been extremely pleased in terms of the quality of work performed and they’ve been timely. It’s like buying a timeshare and I have to figure out how to use it. Once I figured out how to use it, I need to use it. The only thing I see is if it’s a trade service request and not a broken appliance, I'm in a 72-hour wait generally trying to get one of their guys to come out. It was really inconvenient not to have water in our house for 72 hours. Other than that, I’d definitely recommend TotalProtect. My parents bought their retirement home and I said to them that they need to get one of these. And they’re happy.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Roger, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. - Austin

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

TotalProtect Home Warranty is great. If they can cover something, they let me know they can cover it. If they can't cover something, they let me know they can't cover it, or they don't cover it. There's no ambiguity with wondering, so it is a good thing. They explain everything and they listen. They don't rush me off the phone or act like I'm inconveniencing them. Submitting claims is an easy process and they get back to me right away. The send me an email to follow up.

They also give me the number that I'm supposed to have and the referral information along with contacting the referral company, and the company usually contacts me right away. One contractor that they sent was fantastic, but one of them was not so good. Harmony Plumbing was very good. They were on time and diligent. They were experienced and they knew what they were doing. They were in and out and they were awesome.

However, the other contractor, Total Pro Plumbing, messed up my ceiling and they caused a leak in my house. I will never use them again. I'll use TotalProtect, but I told TotalProtect that if I have any other plumbing issue, I don't want that company. Total Pro Plumbing appeared to be nice, but they sent a tech that didn't have experience with fixing. All I had was a bathtub plug that needed to be fixed and that was all they needed to do, but the plumber did it the wrong way. She cracked the pipe underneath and they had to go into the wall and fix it. She caused a leak from upstairs and down to my living room. So, during Christmas, I had part of my popcorn ceiling hanging down above my tree and it was embarrassing.

I couldn't get them to call me back to honor the fix. I said, "I don't wanna report you. Please come back, and you gave me your word you'd fix this." They came back the other day, but they called themselves fixing it. They bought the wrong color of popcorn. Now, there's a huge circle like I have a white filling and there's a beige popcorn circle. I can still see the damage that they did and they got it over my wall, my laptop, my mirror, my floor, and my wall unit. It was a nightmare!

I should have just filed a homeowner's claim, but the guy wouldn't give me his insurance. I said, "Let me have your insurance, so I can file the claim 'cause you guys can't even get this fixed." He said, "Well, we'd like to fix it ourselves. We'd like the opportunity." And I said, "Okay, I'll give you a chance." They came here, but it looks like crap. The popcorn is on my walls and they sprayed it all around everywhere and left with all the crap everywhere. They were nice and very pleasant, but I'm never ever using them again.

I told TotalProtect what went down and they were sympathetic. They listened and they let me know. Unfortunately, they couldn't cover that, which was fine. I had another plumber come in and tell me that the other plumber did it wrong and that she didn't know how to do the removal and the install but did it. She was supposed to go into the wall, behind the pipes, but she tried to do it directly and she banged up my bathtub and cracked the pipe underneath in the wall.

Nonetheless, I would definitely recommend TotalProtect Home Warranty. I tell people from my job that I pay a certain amount and that it's automatic. TotalProtect is worth it and it's something I don't have to think about. I signed up with another company a long time ago and I was sending emails requesting information about the things that they covered or information about what I was paying for because I didn't get the information I got. TotalProtect gave me a welcome package. I got a booklet and it described everything. I had another company a few years back, but they didn't send me anything, yet they took payments out. I finally stopped all the payments. When I signed up with TotalProtect, I thought, "Let me see how this is gonna work," and it has worked fine.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Dorian, Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I've been using TotalProtect for many years and for the most part, I'm pleased with it and the way they handle their claims. Recently, however, I had a claim that I was not happy with the outcome. Something was mechanically wrong with the electronics in the cleaning mode of my oven, and TotalProtect sent a repair person out. He did what he needed to do, which was great, and they ordered the parts. After the part wasn't available, they gave me the option to either replace the oven or to get a buyout where they would send me a check. But since the item has been eliminated from any other claim service, the buyout certainly made sense.

I determined that the amount of the oven was marginally over $1,000 but TotalProtect was offering me $711 because that's what they pay for it. I couldn't go out and buy it for that, so I tried to negotiate with them. But they wouldn't move on the numbers, so I decided to take the $711. This was back in September this year. They said they would issue a check within the next 10 days and I should receive it within a week or 10 days after that, and that's fine.

Time went by and I did not receive the check, so I called them. They said they could confirm that the check was issued but they didn't know what happened to it. When I called back towards the end of October, it was about four or five weeks already after the check should have been issued. They said they were gonna stop payment and issue another check, and that second check was issued on November 2nd. I received that check very recently and I don't know why the money was held. I would have thought that company that does this on a regular basis would have cut the check and boom, it would have been bought. I would have been compensated and not waited 60 days to be paid. TotalProtect should've overnighted the check and they should've been apologetic. I already waited five weeks and I wouldn't have known if I didn't call to follow up.

Fortunately, I didn't need the money, but somebody else in another circumstance would have needed that money to go out and buy another oven. If nothing happened within the time period when I got the check, I was looking to terminate my contract. I have two homes that I insure with TotalProtect, so they're gonna lose my business on both. But I just sucked it up and got the check and waited for the next business. They performed in the past anyway and I've never had to do this before, so no hard feelings. They've always handled the remedy or repair and replaced whatever they needed to do. I've never dealt with a buyout before, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt that the first check was lost and it just took that long for that to work.

Most of the technicians that TotalProtect had sent out to our home were okay, but I had this plumber with whom I had an uncomfortable situation. My 10 year-old water heater was leaking then and it went off. But that's what we have insurance for, so I called TotalProtect and they sent somebody out that day or the next day. This guy came out and all he wanted to do was check my water pressure. What he didn't know, however, was I'm a general contractor, so I'm somewhat familiar about what he was attempting to do. He went outside and checked my water pressure and told me that it was way too high, which was a lie.

He said that according to my contract, if my pressure is high, I’ve gotta pay for the water heater and TotalProtect doesn't cover it. I said that was not how it was gonna work, so I told him to get the hell out of my house. This plumber never even asked to see the water heater. He just wanted to check my water pressure. His intention was to take the burden off of TotalProtect and put it on me and then deal with me so he didn't have to deal with TotalProtect as an insurance provider. I thought that was a bit of an unethical way to do business. So I called back TotalProtect and they sent another guy out who did it the way it was supposed to be done. He replaced the water heater, no questions asked.

I've had used TotalProtect for other instances as well. I had a control panel that needed to be replaced on my oven and the techs did something with my ice-maker. I think TotalProtect had the garbage disposal replaced too. The techs have been out here over the years, maybe once a year. They also did something about a year or two ago with my air-conditioning. TotalProtect has been very responsible and there hasn't been any kind of a callback situation. So except for those two incidences with the check and the plumber, I have no complaints.

The one with the plumber was not within their control. It was going on behind their back, so they were oblivious to it. But the issue with the check should have been handled a little more responsibly. I understand that checks get lost. I've been in business and those things happen. But when they do, you step up and you make it good and overnight a check and add 10 bucks instead of it going into the system all over again and having to wait weeks. The check from TotalProtect is gonna go out 10 days from now and then, I’m gonna wait another week or 10 days to get check. That's another three weeks that I'm not getting paid, above and beyond the time that I waited for the first check. But I’ve always believed in second chances. TotalProtect didn't screw up anywhere else and overall, they did what they needed to do as I interpreted the contract and their performance in the contract.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Barry,Thanks for sharing! Keep in mind we are here to answer all of your home management questions, even the ones you are uncertain of. - Austin

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

After Angela and I were married, we had American Home Shield for years but she canceled it because she couldn’t afford it. I was looking on the internet at home warranties and picked TotalProtect Home Warranty. It seemed to be the best, most reputable, and the largest. We’ve had it for six years now. Angela's air conditioner went out three times within a 30-day period and it was three different times. We’ve had to call in several times and it took forever to talk to a person at TotalProtect. I do not like dealing with recordings and doing it online. I get so frustrated. Finally, I hit a 0 to get to talk to somebody, but the reps don’t speak good English and it gets all over me. Nonetheless, they have always been nice. The way it used to work was different and I liked it the old way.

What they tell me for the last several years is they contact somebody and they give the homeowner the number and say that they're sending them these messages and I can call them to make sure they got it, and then set my appointment up and have them come out, which I’m not really crazy with. It happened twice out of the three times and we don’t know if they got the message. Also, we wait around 30 to 40 minutes sometimes to get somebody and one of the reps was very rude on the second call. We get somebody on the phone, but we can’t understand them. I had to say several times without being rude, “I cannot understand you. Could you put me to somebody else?” TotalProtect had sent a company or two out that I’m not impressed with in the last five years. They were not very business-like and were not very friendly. They didn't do a good work as well.

With the company we got the first time on the air conditioner, the tech who came out and looked at it said that the problem was the capacitor. I asked if he wasn't gonna check the Freon and he told me he wouldn't. He didn’t come inside and didn’t go upstairs. He replaced the capacitor and the unit started working, but a week and a half later, it froze up again. I finally got in touch with somebody from TotalProtect and they told me to let them call. I said that I did not want him coming back out here, so they called somebody else and they were a lot more professional.

For the first time, it was a two-day wait, which was not horrible for that time of year. But for the second time, the tech checked around and looked at the thermostat and went outside. He said that it was the capacitor up in the attic, a different capacitor. He replaced that and it started working again, and it went for about a week. Then, I went outside and the whole system was frozen up again. I called TotalProtect and HVAC Firm of Memphis.

The next morning, the tech was out here and he looked at it and said right off that he could tell me what the matter was with it and he was wondering why the other people haven’t seen it. When the system was replaced in 2012, the people that did it left a filter on there, a big round tube-looking thing, and it was not compatible with the new system. He took it off, replaced it immediately, checked the Freon, went upstairs, and checked everything. He did well and told me to call him back if I got a problem. It has been four weeks now and everything is working perfectly.

I’ve had TotalProtect for six years and I’ve been paying $49.95, which is reasonable. However, their one-time copay is going up from 40 to 60 to 75. It went up to 125 two years ago and I was gonna cancel it one time. This year, it didn’t go up, although I’m spending $50 times 12 a year, and when they come out, it’s $125. Overall, I’ve been satisfied with TotalProtect, other than one or two companies that came out.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Kenneth - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Original review: June 18, 2019

I called TotalProtect for my hot water tank that was starting to leak. I had a pretty good experience with their claims rep. The contractor was very nice and they did very well with my hot water tank. It had to be replaced and it took them a long time to get the hot water tank because it was a small one.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2019

We bought 1 contract for well coverage on a farmhouse (our 2nd house)- they didn't have anyone within 100 miles to provide coverage. Our main house they refused to cove any of 3 claims for fake reason

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Patricia, Our records indicate that your claims were reviewed and determined to have been handled within the terms and conditions of the warranty contract. We do value your feedback and will ensure it is provided to the appropriate departments for handling. - Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 14, 2019

Over two months ago I filed a claim about a dryer repair. The “service provider” came out and said a part was needed. I have called Total Protect as well as A-1 appliance repair to whom I paid $125, the cost of the deductible. No one answers my calls and after speaking with a “case manager” today, I was told that someone will call me to schedule the repair. Unless this part had to be custom made and sent by Pony Express, the part should be in as their site says from the beginning....part shipped. I am a Realtor and I recommend and sometimes pay for a warranty for my clients. I use each one myself before I recommend it and you can trust me that Total Protect will never get business from me again.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Helen, I am disappointed to hear you’ve had such lengthy delays with your claim. My team and I would like to take a deeper look into your claim to see how we can expedite. If you still need assistance, please respond to this message with the best time to reach you and your full property address to locate your account. Thanks, Christine

Original review: June 13, 2019

It's been very good so far with TotalProtect. I've been with them for about 8 years and filing a claim has been very easy. I just call them up and tell them what is the problem. The reps are very pleasant. On my last claim, the contractor came and did my toilet. They were very good at what they were doing. Everything's excellent. Keep up the good work.

Original review: June 12, 2019

The sellers had provided us with a 1 year TotalProtect warranty for the home and we renewed it after it expired for a reassurance that we had our items covered for our home. They offered the best options and lower deductible. When submitting a claim, we just go online and set it up or call the number. Usually, the best or the easiest is just to do it online. At first, the website was a little confusing, but once I figured it out, it was fine.

TotalProtect worked for us and most of the service provided by the contractors has been pretty good. We had one bad experience with our refrigerator repair about 4 years ago. The freezer must’ve broken because we woke up with water on the floor. They came out to repair it and they had to order a part. They brought it in and the fridge was still not working correctly. We kinda had a disagreement with the repairman and we had to end up having someone else come out to repair it. They said that they did a bad repair and they ended up replacing the entire refrigerator. That claim took almost a month which was a really long time. We didn’t have a second refrigerator at home and we ended up buying a compact fridge just to hold some of our cold items that we needed. That was probably the worst experience that we’d ever had.

Original review: June 11, 2019

They sent a company to fix my microwave and the company couldn't fix it. The company recommended a new replacement and they refuse. They decided to send a different company to fix the microwave. This has being going on for about a month. As am writing this review, the microwave has not been fixed. They are a fraud.Don't believe them.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Ben, I'm sorry to hear that your experience has been less than you expected. This is definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. We’ll be glad to look into your claim to see how we can help expedite a resolution for you. Thanks - Amanda

Original review: June 11, 2019

Buyer Beware!! I have been a customer with Total Protect for about 5 yrs. On May 27, my 15 yr old AC went out. A Sears Service technician informed me that the Freon was almost empty. He needed to call in the service job and he would inform me of the outcome. He went on to say, if Total Protect decides not to replace my unit they would not repair it. He lied to them by saying my unit had not been maintained and had rust inside and out. The lie was used so Sears would get the job with 100% profit $7,600. Needless to say, I received a denial letter, case closed, no AC no repair. I sent a complaint letter and now a week later they suggest a 2nd opinion. Too late, 2nd opinion should have been recommended when you sent the denial letter. I could write more, but space is limited. Hope you don't have any major appliances go out, they will probably use that same excuse "you didn't properly maintain the unit or appliance".

Total Protect, I was without AC for days and you only responded because I complained. Here is the kicker, I found another company to replace my unit $5,300, and Total Protect's response was I went out of the network, so my case is officially closed. In the denial letter, they said they would send my case to another level and get back in touch with me in 3 WEEKS, 3 weeks in unbearable heat and I still have to wait for a decision; meanwhile, still no solution to my problem. I'm putting it all out there, you be the judge, it all seems unfair to me. I can't support a company with these policies and no consideration for the comfort of their customers. Poor communication, poor customer service. I'm cancelling my contract and giving them a poor rating. Thanks for nothing!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Renee, I appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your claim did not go as expected. If you’d like for my team to review your claim to ensure you have received the full benefit of your warranty, please respond to this message with your full property address and the best time to reach you. Respectfully, Angela

Original review: June 11, 2019

We’ve always had good service with TotalProtect. They seem to know what they’re doing, and we’ve been perfectly happy since. However, we had a little problem with the first service that came in for the dryer. It didn’t fix the problem and the dryer was still making a terrible noise. I didn’t get a response from the company that did it so I called the girl at TotalProtect and she just jumped right on it to repair things. She did an excellent job. It was a different company that came out and they did an excellent job as well. They did a thorough investigation ‘cause it was kind of a difficult thing to find out. The symptom was vibration and noise. They found it and after the second visit, the dryer’s working perfectly. As far as that call, TotalProtect was super. And every time, it’s been simple and straightforward. It's a very reassuring feeling. I’ve certainly evened as far as cost goes. I'm totally confident with what TotalProtect does and how they do it.

Original review: June 10, 2019

If you are looking a customer centric experience that's not what I received. I submitted a claim on 5/20/2019 to have my AC repaired. The service provider making the repair contacted me promptly and scheduled the appointment. After diagnosing the problem the service provided stated once the repair is approved by Total Protect Home Warranty(TPHW) the repair will be scheduled to be completed. A week passed and I called the service provider to see what the hold-up was and they reported they were still waiting on approval from Total Protect Home Warranty. I contacted Total Protect Home Warranty and was informed that indeed the repair request is still awaiting approval. Asked what the hold-up was and the TPHW representative was only able to tell me that it was with the Approval department and someone will contact me within 24 to 48 hours. Of course no one contacted me within 24 to 48 hours. Up to today which is 6/10/2019 I've made several calls to TPHW and the only thing I've been told was the case has been forwarded to the Regional Manager on 6/6/2019 and you will received a call back once your case has been reviewed. As of right now I've been on call with TPHW well over 1 hour and 30 minutes with being on Hold the bulk of that time. After the call today I was informed everything was expedited and approved and the service provider has been contacted via email and should be contacting me soon. Hopefully this has finally be resolved fingers crossed.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Darrius, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We’ve reviewed your claim to see how we can help, and our records indicate that we have approved the repairs to your air conditioner. We appreciate your feedback, and would like for you to let us know if further assistance is needed so my team will call you directly. Thanks, Angela

Original review: June 10, 2019

A company sent a flyer or a brochure or something in the mail about TotalProtect and I started researching it. It was a cool deal and I’ve been a member for 10 years. We love that you can go and do the claims online now instead of having to call. You don’t have to wait until the morning to call. So, that’s cool. In submitting claims, we’ve gone from super fast to slow and back to fast. We had one experience with the washer where they replaced it but getting somebody out to look at it took forever. On the other hand, the last time with the AC unit, which was about a month ago, the technician took care of everything and fixed it that day. He called and arranged the time that we both could meet. I travel with my job so I'm not always here. He was super nice, prompt and courteous. It was a very nice experience. My air conditioner is blowing cold so the issue has been resolved.

When the Whirlpool washers and dryers first came out, we bought them brand-new. We still have the original dryer and it has been worked on a couple of times. I don’t have any issues because they came out and fixed it in a day or two, which was more than anybody could expect. TotalProtect has replaced the washer twice. The newest one we got from them, which was the replacement, was better and has got more bells and whistles than the original one. We’ve been very pleased with that. It has been a huge peace of mind that I've got equipment sitting here that they have stood behind better than the manufacturer did. I'm very happy and I recommend TotalProtect to a lot of people. Overall, they are really good.

Original review: June 9, 2019

The bank sent TotalProtect to me and I went with it. I usually submit a claim over the phone. Then, either the contractor would call or I would call them. The normal time frame for them to come is within the day and the service has been good for the most part. However, I had something done to the AC and it went out not even a month later. It was something that was fixed last year and it was supposed to be brand new. The guy who came out didn’t fix it when he came out to determine what was wrong with it. The guy just said that it just went out, and that I was responsible for the deductible again while he couldn’t explain to me anything about it. Still, people need to get TotalProtect because it saves you a lot and it’s a great backup.

Original review: June 8, 2019

After I reviewed and looked at different home warranty companies, TotalProtect looked like a good company. I felt they covered more and they offered a better protective service. I've been with them for over 10 years now and the claims process is great. I can do one of two things - either call or go online. Then, they contact a local vendor and the vendor contacts me as far as setting up an appointment. I'm contacted immediately by the vendor once I make contact with TotalProtect.

So far, I've had good luck. I always try to do business with people at my local area. Not everybody wants to deal with American Home Shield or Cross Country but I've had no problem. Most of the time, we're dealing with our heating and air conditioning. We've had little things where they've come. The other thing I like about them is I'm a gold member so I can get a free check of plumbing, electrical, appliances, and heating and air conditioning once a year. Unfortunately, the only thing is just getting vendors who are willing to stay for a period of time. Maybe the vendors don't like the money they're getting paid for providing their service.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 7, 2019

We paid the deductible but still haven't had our appliance repaired and it's been a month. The customer service will give you the run-around and the contractors that they contract out to are very unprofessional. When you report it to them they don't seem to care. Once upon a time this company was great but it's horrible now. Don't waste your money!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Tosha - Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not the level of service to provide our customers with, and I would like to have my team review your claim to find out what is causing the ongoing delays. We will reach out to you personally once your claim has been reviewed to further address your concerns. Sincerely, Angela

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 6, 2019

we purchased total protect & have never had to use it, we pay $54.95 a month & our deductible is $125. may 15,2019 we filed a claim for my wash machine (7yrs old) the 1st company they referred me to tells me they don't deal with this insurance company, total protect sent me to another company, they tell me the same thing. may 21st they referred me to sears, may 23rd sears came & recommended a new washer due to the amount of money it would cost to fix this 7yr old washer. total protect decided to order parts & fix, costing a little over $500, parts was to be in by june 5, well guess what...my parts are on back order, with idea when they will be in. now my fan went out of my central air unit & i'm told i have to wait 24 hrs for a company to contact me, to come look @ my central air unit. i called back last night & asked to be referred to someone else, our daughter has chronic asthma & our grand baby has upper respiratory problems. total protect told us to contact someone local & call them back for approval, so we did...well guess what they are giving us a run around & won't approve it, so i made a claim to the BBB. i do not recommend total protect, i suggest putting your $55 a month in a account & when something goes out you have the money to fix! do the math people.. $55 a month is $660 a yr & if you don't use it for several yrs it adds up, on top of the $125 deductible. IT'S A SCAM....DON'T BUY INTO IT

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Gail - I am sorry to hear this has been your experience, and have reviewed your claim to see how I can help. Our records indicate a case manager has been assigned to your claim and has spoken with you directly to come to a resolution. Please let us know if you need further assistance and my team will follow up with you directly. Sincerely, Angela

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 3, 2019

Let's start from the beginning....my wife wanted to signup for this last August/September 2018 from hearing about it from her Aunt and their experience from using this warranty. So we decided to go ahead and sign up. This Spring we turned our AC on and it didn't get cold. So I called on Friday April 26th to see about getting it looked at. Fast forward to now Sunday June 2nd and we still have not had it fixed. I have made at least 4 calls in to customer support only to get the run around every time with false promises and more lies. The last call I was told I would have an email two days ago on Friday to show exactly when it would be fixed and what I had to pay. Keep in mind I have a $125 deductible. They said only certain things are covered and I would be liable for the rest. When I called the first time to report the issue I had to wait over a week just for a return call by the special dept because there wasn't a service provider within 75 miles of me lol. So here my family sits day in and day out in June in Kentucky humid heat waiting for the next lie. If you read this please keep looking for alternative options. I would not recommend this warranty company to anyone, anytime, or anywhere. All this over an A-coil with a small leak that just needs to be replaced. If this was a total unit replacement it would be one thing but we are talking about a small job. If I dont hear something within the next few days I will be talking with a lawyer to see what my options are.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Will, I assure you that the customer service you have received is not the level of service we aim to provide. I have located your account and my team will be completing a thorough investigation of your claim and reach out once we have a resolution. Sincerely, Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 31, 2019

I hope your company do not do what yours did to us. First, I called to have my central unit heat/air to be repair. Sears came and place a part and the technician said is fixed and the unit should work and leaves. Well, no the unit was never fixed or the part he placed was never the problem so I called them back and they said to call Total Protect again and so I did. Total protect sent me another company from Kentucky named Air Right to correct the problem but the technician found out was another part needed to be order in able for the unit to be fix. Ok no problem, that was March 29, 2019 and 2 months has passed that between Total protect and Air Right keep blaming each other about this " famous part" not arriving in time and at the same time my 90 year old mother endured the cold temperature at home and now the heat of the season. I call numerous time and spoke with customer service and all I got was lies and false promises but the problem was never resolve. I even request to cancel this policy but I was told I have to pay 191 dollars if I did. Please I do not want your services anymore and I will not EVER RENEW THIS POLICY!

Melissa ** from Nashville, TN

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Melissa, We truly apologize for the inconvenience you and your mother have experienced. I have located your account my team will be completing an in-depth investigation and will be following up with you personally to assist with expediting a resolution. Thank you - Angela

Original review: May 29, 2019

I have been a member of TotalProtect for several years and they have been consistent, fair and provide good customer service. The claims submission was expedient. The reps were knowledgeable and respectful. However, they were a little slow in getting back to me. Our scheduling didn’t always coincide. But the contractors came out within a reasonable amount of time and the quality of work was excellent.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Lena, We thank you for sharing your warranty experience and appreciate you choosing us as your home warranty provider. Thanks, Austin

Original review: May 28, 2019

In March 2019 I called about a problem I was having with my refrigerator. Total Protect called a Sears technician to come out. It was going to cost $950.00 to fix the unit. Every time the tech put in the cost of the repair Total Protect kept rejecting the claim he was trying to file on his phone. It kept telling him that he needed to lower his cost down to $300. But he couldn't. We even called Total Protect but they said they were waiting for Sears to submit the paperwork and Sears said they did submit. I have a copy of the error messages so I emailed Total Protect the information and all they could tell me is they are waiting for Sears. I am so disgusted! I had to go out and purchase a new refrigerator. I've reached out to Total Protect but they just keep saying they need the paperwork from Sears and Sears said they sent it. What a JOKE!!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Julie, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is definitely not a typical claim process. The technician should have called in his report since the repairs were over $300. Please respond with your full property address and my team will review your claim to see how we can help and follow up with you personally. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: May 28, 2019

I got an offer on the phone, and at that time, TotalProtect was affiliated through my bank. And I took them up on the offer. I’ve loved it. It’s coming so handy. I've had coverage since 2011, and submitting claims has been really easy. I recently had a claim with my washer, and they replaced the pump in it. The contractor was polite and friendly. They came on schedule. They had to order parts and it took about three weeks to get everything fixed. Overall, the TotalProtect contractors' quality of work was amazing. They replaced the condenser in my AC unit. With the garbage disposal, I had to call the guy back because it was leaking. He came out within a couple of days and handled that well.

TotalProtect used to do the home checks on a quarterly basis. We could have our electrical, plumbing, and appliances checked. So, if something was going to go out, I could have a little bit of knowledge before it actually goes. It helped me a lot with my water because the water shut-off valves were frozen. I had to replace six of them. And I did not know that they were frozen, and that prevented a lot of damage.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Jennetta, Thank you for letting us know how we are doing! We are constantly improving our processes to better our customer experience. We're happy to hear we have delivered. Have a great day! - Angela

Original review: May 28, 2019

I put in claims to have my oven and three ceiling fans fixed. TotalProtect paid for the service call for the oven, but they said it didn’t cover the automatic lock for the oven cleaner. But to me, that’s part of the oven and nobody would discuss it with me. The ceiling fans are 12 years old, and the remote control sensors that turns the fan on and off were out. TotalProtect approved for a guy to come look at them. I live in a small town from Pueblo, and they approved $80 an hour and three hours travel time. While the guy was here, he called TotalProtect to tell them what was going on, so he knew where to go with it. They transferred him three times, which happens a lot with them people, and then he got disconnected. He said that he was getting $80 an hour and he was not gonna take time to call them back again. So, he wrote everything they needed to know on the invoice.

I’ve mailed the invoice to TotalProtect, and they told me that somebody will call me. But I never heard from anybody. Once a week, I call them back and they told me that they would have a manager call me. When they finally had a manager call me, they said it was not covered. I told him that I’ve been paying $49 a month for years with TotalProtect, and I asked him what he can do for me. He said that they would have another manager or somebody else higher to call me back. I never heard again and that was three weeks ago. This has been going on since November. This is the worst experience I’ve ever had in my life.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Doyle, I regret to hear this has been your experience, and would like the opportunity to make things right. Please send us your full property address so we can locate your account, and a member of our team will work towards a resolution and call you personally to address your concerns. Sincerely, Angela

Original review: May 27, 2019

My home has been covered by TotalProtect for a while. All my claims but one went fairly well. I had work done with my HVAC system, and the vendor never came back. We had to play phone tag. Luckily, we have alternative heating systems in our house and we got everything squared away. And they made sure no extra cost came out of our pockets. So, I was okay with it. All the other contractors seem to be fine. They come in, they do their job, and they're always very professional. All in all, TotalProtect's prices seem to be fair and everyone I spoke to generally has a great attitude. They're about helping their customers. I would recommend them to other people. Even when I had a bad vendor, they followed up with a really good vendor.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Kandice, Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We are happy to hear that overall you’ve been pleased with the service TotalProtect provides. – Amanda

Original review: May 26, 2019

I’ve had some of the other home warranty providers before and I wasn’t really happy with them. So, when I got information on TotalProtect Home Warranty, I decided to go with it. Submitting a claim with them has always been very favorable except for two years ago. We had had problems with the air conditioner and they sent somebody out and then the problem wasn’t fixed. We had to call them again, so that meant days went by with no air conditioning. We live in Las Vegas, so that was very uncomfortable. And then they were supposed to be free because they didn’t do it within 30 days. So, they were supposed to come back and do it. And the company they sent out told my son, “Well, if you want it done now, you’re gonna have to pay us an extra $200 or else we’ll put you at the end of the list. My son agreed to it.

When I saw that my son had paid extra money, I asked why he did that. He told me what they told him. And so, I called TotalProtect and told them that my bill was $125 for the claim and nothing extra. TotalProtect told me to file a claim, and I'd get the money back. I never did get the money back. But other than that, the quality of the work that was performed was good.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Debi, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. - Austin

Original review: May 25, 2019

I researched and looked online to see what the reviews were, and I talked to several people who had home warranties. American Home Shield was recommended but when I called them, I could not get a hold of anyone. When I called TotalProtect, they answered the phone and answered my questions so, we went from there. We had a couple of issues and they sent someone out. There was one contractor who did not show up during his scheduled time and I tried calling him back but I could not reach him. So I called TotalProtect the second time and they said that they would notate that on his callout. The rep apologized and took care of it quickly.

The few issues we’ve had were breakdowns and TotalProtect had someone come out and they came out fairly quickly. I also got a courtesy call as to when they would be there and when they were on their way. So, those are the companies I like. I’ve only had one that was a no-show and TotalProtect wants you to call and tell them that. So, there’s more communication with them than a lot of other companies. It’s automated calls, or if you get someone, they're not sure. With TotalProtect, when I called, they knew everything. I spoke with someone who actually had the answers. Then, I get a little book that basically says the same thing as what they’ve told me. So, they’ve educated their personnel.

We’re so sick of automated calls that when you actually get a company that has a person on the other end, I’m willing to spend my money there because with automated calls, I don't feel like I can actually ask a question. My concerns aren’t addressed because you can’t address your concerns in automation. It would ask you to press numbers and then, you gotta listen to another series of, “If it’s this, press this. If it’s anything else, please hold or press zero or nine or whatever.” You sit there on hold for quite a while and finally, someone gets on. You ask them your concern and then, they would tell you that they need to check with their supervisor. There’s just no cut-and-dried.

I’ve been with TotalProtect for three years and they would be my highest recommendation. Everybody's gonna have a question that can’t be answered, and TotalProtect is gonna have to check on it but as far as everything goes, they were fairly knowledgeable and easy to speak with. Their customer service is their number one thing.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Roxanne, We appreciate your recommendation and we hope to have you as one of our valued members for many years to come. Thanks for sharing! - Amanda

Original review: May 24, 2019

I purchased Total Protect through my mortgage company,at this point Im sure Freedom Mortgage is doing a terrible injustice to their customers!Im a widow relying on only my income, I purchased this warranty to protect my home and myself.

What a joke,My ac wasnt working well and the first tech made an appointment for 4:30 I explained to him I could not answer the phone while at work but I would be home 4:15-4:30. He starts texting me at 3:40 wanting to know if Im home!Then says he cant start driving to my house until he hears from me, I was home 4:17 and hes texting me to reschedule, he was rude and very unreliable. The next one was even worse!! my AC wasn't at its best but was keeping the house fairly comfortable. it was leaking water in the basement floor. This guy was from Bentech heating and air. He gave me 3 different reasons this was happening and said all were inexpensive repairs.I ask him if it was all three or just one problem, he got an attitude and walked outside. He tore apart ac unit that was fairly working and left me with nothing, the next day I had to call him because he never came back or called. He said he was coming back to make repairs that day, that total protect said to repair it. When he gets here hes here for about 15 minutes and started to leave, I called out to him and he said total protect wanted pictures of my unit! !I ask if he was leaving it torn apart again, I said it worked some before you took it apart I would appreciate if you put it back that way before you leave, he went back to the basement for about 20 minutes, came out and headed straight to his van, NO communication at all. I ask him if he put it back and when was he coming back he threw his hands up, turned his back and left Leaving my unit torn apart, pieces every where in the basement, naked wires and not working. The tech would not return my calls so I called total protect, they never give you a straight answer , always talking around you.. two reps hung up on me when they couldn't give me a straight answer. They said they would have someone from their medical team to contact me about my asthma and high blood pressure so they could get the repair expedited..Expedited...so how long is this suppose to take I ask..She hung up!No one ever called me from any medical team..4 days after Im told the tech said there was dog hair in my ac because my dogs go in the basement and the dog hair broke my ac unit also there was hail damage to the outside unit...That's my fault they said. Thing is my unit is in a totally separate room and the door is always closed, that side isn't used for anything.

I think the truth is that my unit is old and they didn't want to repair or replace it. so the tech takes my $125.00 and tells them what they want to hear so they denied my claim. Total gimmick and ripoff.These people have a license to steal!! I will never pay them another dime and would never recommend them to anyone.I think you could have came up with a better line (lie) than dog hair.. I find it odd that on their site their reviews are all good but not on consumer affairs...

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Cynthia, I appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items and conditions which may not be covered by your warranty. Your warranty addresses parts and labor when a covered item fails due to normal wear and tear mechanical failure. Our records indicate that a member from our Leadership team provided you with this information. We regret any confusion or misunderstanding which occurred. Respectfully, Amanda

Original review: May 24, 2019

TotalProtect's program is really good. The cost keep on going up a little each year but it’s still very reasonable. With them, you have a choice of different plans and what’s nice is that they guarantee their work for six months. So if my washer and dryer were both broken at the same time, I get charged one deductible. Filing claims with TotalProtect's is also easy. You just call in then they send a service person out and they tell you what your deductible is. One time, I had a major problem but I contacted someone that was a little higher up in the company and they took care of the problem right away. My experience with their contractors also depends on who TotalProtect sends out. I tell them the area I’m in ghen I usually have one or two companies that I like out here that I deal with if it’s an appliance or air-conditioner problem. And for the most part, I would give it 95% that they carry through what they're supposed to do.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Audrey, We’re happy to hear you’ve been satisfied with the service you’ve received from TotalProtect. We appreciate you taking the time to share you feedback. Thanks, Christine

TotalProtect’s coverage exclusions

In some cases, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. For example, for central vacuum system coverage, TotalProtect’s contract states they cover motor, relay, switches and wiring for the system, but they don’t cover attachments like hoses, handles and knobs. The contract also states that while they cover doorbells, they do not cover them when they’re part of a larger intercom system. While they cover garage door openers, they do not fix or replace your garage door or the door track assembly.

Pre-existing condition coverage applies only to previously unknown conditions related to mechanical failure of items that are otherwise without damage. This coverage does not extend to manufacturer issue, intentional damage, or damage due to animals and pests.

TotalProtect’s coverage limits

TotalProtect has no set coverage limit per contract term, meaning they don’t limit how much they’re willing to pay out to repair or replace your items. Some of the items available for add-on coverage do have a dollar limit cap, provided below, but even those are fairly generous compared to industry standards.

In addition to the items outlined below, TotalProtect also sets a $1,500 limit per contract term for repair of geothermal or water source systems for air conditioning system repair and allocates a maximum of $1,000 to repair any walls or ceilings damaged in the process of fixing plumbing issues. Wall and ceilings will only be repaired to a rough finish. However, many home warranty providers do not provide even a rough finish repair, so this service is nice to see.

ItemTotalProtect’s coverage limit
Septic pumpingUp to $500/term
Surge protection$500–$1,000, depending on plan level
Swimming pool heaterUp to $1,000/term

TotalProtect claims

You can submit a claim to request a service from TotalProtect 24/7 online or through their toll-free phone number. TotalProtect’s process for submitting a claim and getting a repair completed is relatively simple.

How to request service from Total Protect:

1. Submit a claim directly to TotalProtect online or on the phone.
  2. Contact one of TotalProtect’s approved service partners to schedule your service.
  3. Get your items repaired or replaced.
  4. Pay your service fee directly to the technician at the end of the appointment.

TotalProtect guarantees their technician’s work for 180 days (six months). If you experience the original problem again within this period, they will send a technician to repair it at no additional cost to you. Many other home warranty companies also provide a guarantee or service recall period, but it’s typically 60 days or less. TotalProtect’s 180 days makes them an industry leader in this area.

TotalProtect FAQ

Does TotalProtect require a home inspection?
While a home inspection is not required, TotalProtect does reserve the right to inspect a home before coverage starts. This is typically only put into practice for very old homes.
How do I cancel TotalProtect?
Provided no claims have been made, you can cancel your TotalProtect contract within 30 days of the effective date for a complete refund. To cancel after 30 days, a 10 percent fee will be applied per month. An additional $25 cancellation fee may also apply.
Is there a limit on repairs?
No, there is no limit to the number of service visits you can claim per contract term. There may be a maximum dollar amount cap applicable to certain items. These will be noted in your contract.

Is TotalProtect worth it?

Overall, TotalProtect provides excellent coverage options. Their plans cover items that many other home warranties do not and have generous coverage caps. Their 180-workmanship guarantee is two to three times as long as the guarantee other companies provide, and their monthly rates are very reasonable for the service they provide. TotalProtect is also an industry veteran with over 40 years in business.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Information