Consumer Reviews and Complaints

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Shirley – we are glad to hear that you are pleased with the service, and that the process was easy. This is the type of service we aim to provide. Thanks for sharing! – Tanya

Original review: April 17, 2017

The house was five years old and it seemed like a good idea to acquire a home warranty. So, I thought it would be a good investment. I haven't had any problems submitting a claim with TotalProtect. It was easy. I would just call and then they have someone to call you or they give you the number to call whomever. When I called for the oven in my stove, they gave me a number for the service person. I then called and they scheduled an appointment for me. The service technicians that came out were respectful, explained everything and cleaned up after themselves. Overall, I haven't had any problems. So, I'm glad of that. As long as I get good service, then I'll stick with it.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

David – we appreciate your kind words, and you sharing your experience. Friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful are the qualities we like for our employees to have, and we are delighted to hear that we have been helpful. Thanks – Amanda

Original review: April 15, 2017

We've lived in our house for several years and we thought things might start to go. TotalProtect was the first home warranty offered to me and we've had them for several years now. The claims process overall was easy. We submitted a claim recently and it was real simple. I reported it online then I received a phone call from the service provider within a few hours and we set up an appointment. They came out, evaluated the situation, and decided they didn't have what they needed right that day. So, we made an appointment for them to come back and they came back and took care of it. The plumber who came out called the service rep to get approval and then handed the phone to me. The service rep I talked to was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

The technicians were on top of the job, knew what they were doing, and I was very impressed with them. They were punctual, very knowledgeable, and they took care of the problem in an expedient manner. Also, the quality of the work performed was great. I was very satisfied with the claims process, with the service technicians, and the people I spoke with at the company itself. I would recommend TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Marcia – Thanks for letting us know that we have met your expectations and sharing your experience! Sincerely – Heather

Original review: April 5, 2017

Whenever I file a claim I would call TotalProtect to let them know what I need work done. They would give me a claim number and a company that I can contact to have the work done at my house. Once they come out I pay a one-time $75 fee or if it's something that they do not cover then I would have to pay that out of pocket. And once they're done they contact me back and sometimes I get a call from them to find out how things are. All of the technicians were friendly. If I had a question, they answered it and sometimes they would explain things to me even if I didn't ask a question. That way I would know what they are doing. I haven't had any problems with them and I have recommended them to several people.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My brother said that TotalProtect was a good and reliable company, and they are indeed. When we submitted a claim, the experience was easy. Their reps were very professional, very helpful, and were very concerned about the problem. The technicians who they sent were nice. They helped and explained the problem and what we had to do to solve it. Everything was professional. They replaced the air-conditioning unit when it went out and it's working fine now. I recommend TotalProtect to everybody at work.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife is an insurance broker and she feels that most people are under-insured when it comes to their lives. She thought that for what we may get in return, having insurance is well worth the investment. Citibank informed us that TotalProtect was available with Citibank Mortgage. We got our warranty through our loan with them, and we've had it for many years. We refinanced recently and learned that the company we refinanced with did not have a working relationship with TotalProtect. I talked to TotalProtect's customer service and all they wanted was the new loan number and a new credit card number so that they could continue billing my wife on a regular monthly basis to keep the policy seamless.

Every time something breaks down, I call TotalProtect and we've had a good experience. I always submit claims on the phone and I like getting a live person every single time. They're always available regardless of when I call. I've dealt with the claims reps a number of times and they've always been very polite and friendly. They're knowledgeable on the claims process, what they can do for us and what to expect from the vendor. They always try to make sure I get someone and they supply me with a confirmation number as well as the vendor's name and phone number. If there’re any issues, they give us a callback.

In the first couple of years, there were a couple of times when a vendor has not showed up. We called TotalProtect and they got another vendor over the next day. 99% of the time, we've called the vendor, gave them the reference number and they were over within two or three days. They tell us what the problem is, fix it and then we give them the deductible and move along. However, we upgraded to a $1,200 dishwasher and the guy that put it in has been back a number of times. He was very polite and professional, so on the third time he came back, I didn't have the heart to tell him that I didn't think he knew what he’s doing. The dishwasher is slanted, pulls out and still leaks sometimes.

Other than this incident, we've been very pleased with all the work that was done everywhere else. The technicians we've had over have been very good and they clean up after themselves. Somebody did some duct work and he was good enough to tell us that he could take the trash with him for an additional fee, but putting it out by the curbside for the trash people to get costs nothing. TotalProtect delivers on their promise and I've referred them to a number of friends. They’re reasonable and they get the job done. Plus, it costs a fraction of what it would cost to pick up the phone and call a vendor in.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I called the 1800 number of TotalProtect Home Warranty and explained my claim to the associate. They gave me a claim number and told me I will be contacted. They also gave me different options for a repair company that will come to my home so I was able to choose. The first time I took what they assigned to me but I wasn’t happy with that company so then I told them that I don’t want them in the future. So, they gave me an option for different repair companies in my area. And they advised that I will be contacted within 24 hours. Somebody called me from their subcontractor and set up the appointment. They came to my home and diagnosed the issue. Occasionally, they can make the repair right then and there. But usually, it entails ordering a part which also lengthens the process. Then they come back and they either fix it or they don’t.

It then goes into a review process through TotalProtect, where they then decide whether they’re going to repair it or profit and replace it. I have a couple of appliances repaired and I’ve had two replaced. The longest it took for the repair process was 10 days to wait for the part to come in. We had no washing machine for that period. It was a downer. All in all, they’ve come through with everything they said they would do. It does take a long time but I don’t get upset at the little things. When they replaced my refrigerator, it took 16 days. Thank God I have a second refrigerator in my basement. But it was an inconvenience going downstairs to go to the refrigerator but I could see how somebody waiting on the refrigerator for over two weeks is spending a lot of money. When you have a cooler and if it’s winter, you’re good. You can put all your stuff outside.

One technician from Sears gave me the runaround. I needed a later window because I work. So, obviously, the technician got held up on the earlier repairs. Sears cancelled my appointment when I paid my babysitter to be in. I told TotalProtect to give me another service technician and service provider because I don’t them to come back. They did that. I had Park Appliance Repair for our refrigerator. That guy snapped my copper wire line for my automatic ice maker and didn’t replace it and my husband had to fix that. But that has nothing to do with TotalProtect. That has to do with the technician that is subcontracted with them. So, I told them I don’t want to deal with them.

I finally got two good technicians, one for my washing machine and one for my refrigerator. Both appliances were replaced. It took time and it was a slight inconvenience. But I did have another refrigerator and the washing machine cost me a few bucks in laundromat fee. We live in a society of instant gratification and that’s not reality so people need to lighten up. You can’t have everything in an instant. Things take time especially when you’re dealing with a company that has subcontractors and then they’re ordering from the manufacturer website and they have to coordinate with the delivery service. It’s not like they have it in the warehouse and they’re going to ship it to you tomorrow. So, people who say that are unrealistic. I’m satisfied with the service. I would strongly recommend it to other people, which I've done.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

With the copayment, it was cheaper to go with TotalProtect. I call them when I submit claims and sometimes they give the same company I had a bad experience with. I'd want another one but the TotalProtect reps would tell me they're the closest in my area. I know they have more than one company for the whole city of Houston, but sometimes I get the same one and sometimes they’ll send me somebody new. My last claim was for an air-conditioner. The technician was very good, but they have to come out every year because TotalProtect won’t give me a new unit. They keep patching this old one up, so every year, I have to call somebody else to service it before it’s down in the middle of summer.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect's home warranty seemed very comprehensive and covers up to the first $5,000, which is a lot of things, that's why we decided to gave it a try and we've been extremely happy with it. They have been professional, reliable and timely. They would get back to me right away and when they say they're coming, they come. They're hardworking and are educated in their craft. I've heard of them through Champion our reverse mortgage company. Submitting a claim has been very easy, and I've done them over the phone. It's usually an automated system I deal with. It gives you a couple of things to choose from, like plumbing and electricity, and then they ask about the item, whether it's the toilet, the dishwasher or whatnot. Then they give me a phone number of a local service person to contact.

The technicians that have come to my house have all been very good local people. I've had a couple of different electricians, the same plumber, the same guys for the clothes dryer and they've all been very professional and very nice. Everything has been fixed the first time and they've all known how to get here. A friend asked me about the plumber I use and I explained TotalProtect to her, how I don't know the plumber's rates since I am just paying the deductible, and how he was good but very overpriced.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have TotalProtect as my home warranty for eight years. Submitting a claim over the phone was easy and they're courteous. I give them my information, tell them what it is that I need service on, and they take it. They find a merchant and it goes from there. My most recent claim was for my dryer and they assigned a company to come out and take a look at it. I had an issue with that company because they said something was wrong with my dryer which they didn't get covered under my warranty. I had to pay my deductible for that service call and still didn't get my item fixed. I'm not pleased with their service. I Googled and called a different company to fix my dryer, they came out and fixed it, and told me the issue was my timer.

The timer was covered under my warranty so I made a complaint to my warranty company about it. I told them I had to pay an extra $200 on top of my deposit to get my dryer fixed but it was covered under my warranty. They worked the claim and took care of it. They refunded me the money I paid to the other repair guy as they reviewed it and saw it was a mistake by the initial company that they sent out. I give them a good credit for reimbursing me for the money we came out of pocket with. I would tell people that I have been with TotalProtect Gold and it's a good warranty company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm an elderly and I've been divorced for 16 years now. I don't know how to do minor repairs and I felt that having a warranty would help me out. TotalProtect covers all appliances and plumbing so I went with them. I've had them for quite a few years now. Their claims process was generally automated and once in a while, I get to talk to a human but I've been taken care of. They replaced my dishwasher at one point and it's still working well after three years that I had it replaced. The other claims have been minor which they were able to repair. I called a month ago and their rep was really nice, very helpful and she was empathetic with me because there were three appliances that were not functioning properly and she understood my plight. So, they took care of the issue for me.

So far, my experience has been good which I haven't had with any other company. The only time that I had a problem was when I had a plumber look at my bathroom. There was an odor coming out of the faucet and I didn't know what was going on. The plumber was very condescending and nasty. He told me right off, "I'm not gonna take care of this. I'm leaving." I did all the things I could possibly do and he just left. I had to call TotalProtect and they sent somebody else. The next person that came in took care of it and I haven't had that issue anymore. '

There was another tech that came to take a look at my refrigerator. I've had an old fridge that I generally pulled out and cleaned the back, but I've never cleaned the grill at the bottom. When the tech came, he was also condescending. I said, "You must have had a really rough day because you're being really rude". And then at that point, he changed since he realized that he was being rude and condescending.

Overall, TotalProtect gives me that sense of comfort just knowing that I have them. They help me out which is what I need as an elderly since I don't have the means and strength to be able to do things. So far, I'm happy but I wish they would send notices on my email about other companies that do roofing and stuff like that. But other than that, TotalProtect been good for me and I've recommended them to people.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were looking at selling the house and wanted a home warranty because things were starting to get older and I didn't want to have any problems. The coverage from TotalProtect Home Warranty included two air conditioners so we got them. The reps were very good but I wasn't too thrilled with the people that did the hot water heater. They were not responsive enough. They told me that it would take three days, but we've been without water for two days already. Then they also said it was gonna cost me another $600 or $700 to bring it up to code on top of the $900 that they were going to charge me for the water heater. So instead, I went out, got the water heater for $600 and installed it myself on the same day. I saved us both $300. And the good part was the reimbursement with TotalProtect was very prompt.

When the secondary AC unit for the far end of the house wasn't working, we had a claim and the air conditioner guy came in and got it running. Then I gave him $100 but he asked for $75 for waste removal. We're pretty happy with the air conditioner guy. Then we sold our house, but we had him come back three months later to do some adjustments. We called TotalProtect and got a number. Then the guy got in touch with me and he came out, adjusted some stuff and brought it up to spec. So I'm happy. I've transferred them over to the new owner and the people that are coming for him were very helpful. I'd recommend TotalProtect.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Total Protect sounded better coverage-wise than what we had and we’re on our second year with them. I submit claims over the phone and their claims rep were good, responded right away and gave me who I have to call to follow up with. They come out quarterly to check either heating, plumbing in the house, or different things and they’ve been very thorough and very good. We’ve been happy so far and very pleased. We get everything taken cared of when we call.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

In using my Warranty, I submitted a claim on 22 June to have my AC repaired. Living in Florida with high temperatures, and humidity is challenging. It has been 3 weeks since my claim was submitted and my AC is still not fixed. The process is broke. I call the Warranty company everyday to get updated on my AC repair, and it seemed like I got every excuse as to why this claim was being held up. The vendor that I was given was not professional, in fact, he spent more time trying to convince me to purchase a new AC unit costing over $5000. In the mean time, I can't use the AC (According to the vendor). I thought having a Home Warranty would give me a peace of mind, instead, I'm frustrated with the Warranty company, it's vendor, the process and the amount of time it is taking to get my AC repaired. In spite of me being dissatisfied with my overall service, fIling the claim was easy and knowing that the AC is coverage under Warranty were two positives for me.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've had TotalProtect home warranty for about nine years. The reps that I talked to were very good. I had no problems with the quality of work done but the techs try to get me to upgrade things and want to charge extra. I had a water heater done and they want to charge $50 to remove it and then wanted $50 for some permit. I'm not only paying a copayment but there are also other charges involved that they did not specify.

Also, a lot of times TotalProtect try to make excuses not to pay for the claim. They'll say I'm always protected but then when the time comes they'll say they don't pay for this or that. They deny most cases on technicalities. When something went wrong with the air conditioner, they said it's not included. When they're selling the policy, everything's fine and dandy. But when I put on a claim it's a different story. They also raised their rates and I'm not sure about keeping them anymore because they went from $75 to $125 which is a big jump. Overall, I've had a few bad experience with TotalProtect but most of them have been positive.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had a lot of older appliances and thought it was a good thing to have warranty. And so we got TotalProtect. We have submitted one claim for our heat pump. It's been really easy and they’ve been very helpful. There was one thing that we called in on our refrigerator, but it wasn’t covered. So, they explained why it wasn’t covered and directed us to the specific language in our booklet.

We've also had two technicians come out and both of them have been great. Prior to the second one coming out, the first technician they gave us never called us. So, I called them and they said, “Oh, we didn’t get your number.” They just were kind of sketchy. They said they would call me back to schedule a time and they never did. So, I called them back a second time. I ended up calling TotalProtect customer service and they gave me somebody new, which I'm really grateful that they did. But then, I got another call from this first place and they said, “Oh, well, we have time. We can come.” This was like a week later. I said, “It's already taken care of.”

I'd recommend TotalProtect but we may be cancelling within the next couple of months. We just got a whole new set of kitchen appliance and a new dryer. So, the only thing we have left really is a washer. We're gonna read our policy again to see what else it covers. If we still had all old stuff, we might consider keeping it. They did help us replace our heat pump, but they didn’t pay as much as we thought they were going to. And it still was a good amount, but I think we ended up paying for it in our premiums. So, it's been a wash for us.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I read a brochure of TotalProtect Home Warranty and as far as the coverage, it was a very good opportunity to have them since equipment does break down after a period of time. Submitting a claim to TotalProtect is very easy. I do it online and navigating their website is also an easy process. Their reps were very good, too. Overall, I'm very happy with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It was my first time getting a home warranty and I wanted to see how much of a service it would be to me. So far, it's been great with TotalProtect. I only had one repair that they didn't cover. They covered part of it but I had to have something replaced other than that. The technicians that they send out have been great. It's my third year with TotalProtect and I've been very pleased with the company and their professionalism and timeliness.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

On June 27th at 9AM we contacted the company due to no AC. They then sent out a tech on Friday AM who came to house and stated that the compressor was out. The service provider stated that he needed approval from TotalProtect. We contacted TotalProtect Friday PM and they were "researching" the part. They promised a call back. On Saturday at 2PM we reached back out to the company and they were still researching, but had not approved service. We also found out that they had chosen a service provider that was CLOSED from Saturday until Weds for the July 4 holiday. We live in Birmingham Al. Temperatures have been 90 with high humidity throughout the period. We have animals and kids. When we pointed this out to TP they said "if we start with a new provider you have to start over and pay for a new service call and it would take longer. They would call us back, ( second promised call ) On Monday AM, after hearing nothing from TP, we called back and asked status again. Once again told in research. I mean really? I went on line and found the part in the Trane DC in Memphis and that took all of 5 clicks of a mouse. again was promised a call back (3rd time) not a word. It is know July 5th. 6 Days in, TP had 2 full business days to find a compressor. Would that not be a core competency of a warranty business? And we start the whole thing again, supervisors, researchers, etc. at 4PM they tell me via call "we can order the part now, BUT, it will take 3-5 days to arrive. I asked for overnight service due to the horrible claim issue and they say "we will have to call you back" ( 4th time, fill in the blank here, no call back) OR we can offer you a credit to "do it yourself' I am just amazed that they never escalated this to emergency, it's not like I had a sink issue, in the summer in the south. I have NEVER in 35 years of business life seen anything this bad. I just called to cancel my service and they would not refund the $44.00 bucks for July as "I had used the service" UNBELIEVABLE. On to the BBB and I am doing everything in my power to get a phone number for the corporate office. Amazing they have that hidden like Ft. Knox. Guess I know why.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Our central AC Unit was making noises and was not getting cool. We turned the unit off and we sent a claim request on 6/23. We had an appointment on 6/28 from 9-12. The contractor called the Morning of 6/28 and cancelled. We called Total Protect and was assigned another contractor. This contractor came on 6/29 and did not find any problems but replaced the capacitor. On 7/3 the unit stopped working completely. We looked at the pipes that lead from the unit into our home (photo attached) and they were completely frozen. We turned the unit off again and called Total Protect; they stated that they didn't have an available contractor to come out and authorized us to get an estimate from another contractor. We found another contractor had the contractor come out on 7/4, paid a $69 diagnostic fee (on top of the $100 fee from Total Protect) and they provided an estimate totaling over $1,500.

We contacted Total Protect with the estimate and they required the previous contractor (who was not available) to come back out. We had an appointment window from 9 - 1 on July 5. They did not show. My husband had to leave at 2:30, they called at 2:15 and said they would be there in half an hour. My husband told them to arrange a time with me because he had to leave for an appointment. They did not contact me, when I called, the calls went straight to voicemail.

I called TotalProtect on 7/6 and they arranged an appointment with this same contractor for July 8 from 9 - 12. The contractor did not call and did not show up.

Complete disrespect, failure of customer service and disregard for the customers experience. I only wish that I could provide a lower rating.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We renew our contract with TotalProtect every year and we've been with them for about 11 years now. We've had good experience with them over the last few years. Every now and then we get a vendor that's not so good but we've always been able to call TotalProtect and tell them we don't like a particular vendor. The quality of the repairs that we are getting from the contractors has gotten better in the last year but I'm still trying to get in touch with Temp Control for our latest problem.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My mortgage informed me that I could sign up for TotalProtect and I did because I thought it was a great idea. I've had them now for years. I got contacted by other companies, but I’m happy with them. Their claims process is generally easy. I recently used them for my air conditioning. The tech came and fixed the first problem he found and I paid my deductible.

A month later, it wasn’t working again, so I called them back and they said that I didn’t have to pay for another deductible. Then they said that it was something different, a condenser. Why would they come out and fix the unit and not check the whole system? I had to pay another deductible, which was inappropriate because it was the same complaint that I had originally called about. The technician was a nice kid, but he didn’t check the whole system. He just only checked what was indoors and didn't check the compressor outdoors

I assumed, because he was a professional in that area, if the air-conditioning system isn't working, that he would go check and fix the whole system. TotalProtect backed him up and they didn't really listen to what I said. And if for an extra $100 he thought it was worth losing my business for when I get a new HVAC system, that’s fine with me. He demonstrated he wasn't up to the job. The woman I used to go to whenever I had a problem, went to a different department so I can't contact her.

When I filed a claim for my washer dryer, they could not fix it for 6 weeks, and opted to just replace it. The contractors kept ordering the wrong drums, that I have a garage full of them. The guy fixed it but didn’t fix the hinge to properly close the machine. They gave me a new system and that was great service. I gave my machine to a neighbor who got another 5 years out of it.

TotalProtect has been very quick when there is a problem to send someone out. I don't have to wait weeks. If I called on my own, I'd wait weeks to get someone. For $37 a month and $100 deductible, I'm pretty happy with that. It's not like I'm paying tooth and nose for it, I looked at other services and they are too confusing. These people stand behind everything. I have recommended them to friends because, overall, their service is very reasonable and they cover a lot of things. I have recommended them with the caveat that it's going to take multiple calls and one may have to escalate, but the value is there. It's very helpful to have it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I called TotalProtect and told them what the situation was. Then they provided me with the vendor for the air conditioning unit but I was not happy with that particular vendor because I took a day off and they didn’t show up when they said they’re going to. As soon as I called in and complained, they immediately got me another vendor from a smaller company. The guy was great plus we got everything taken care of. He told me what he was going to check and do. He came back and told me what he was going to send as his recommendation but it took a while for TotalProtect Home Warranty to get back to him for with a yay or nay.

He was a very accurate person and easy to understand as far as what was going on with the air conditioning unit itself. He’s given me more details than any other vendor that has come out because this has been an ongoing thing with my air conditioning unit for several years. Every year I had to call and the air conditioning company just kept patching it up. Therefore, he made a recommendation that it will be replaced and told me why he made that recommendation. It was in a way that I can understand it and he did a good job. I’ve had TotalProtect for a while and the good thing is anytime I’ve had any issues, I haven't had any problems.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I thought I was getting a cheaper home warranty when I switched to TotalProtect but I wasn't. In the past, I haven't had any problems with them. But when I had a hole in my tub, they didn't cover it so I had to pay out of pocket on it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 we awoke early and realized we had lost our AC in the night. Our home warranty company, Total Protect, didn't get anyone out to our place to look at the AC unit until Tuesday, June 27th. The company they sent was ProServ Heating & Cooling. ProServ called our home warranty and advised them of what was broken. Total Protect decided to order a part to repair it instead of replacing the whole unit, which was suggested by ProServ. The part arrived on Thursday, June 29th and Total Protect contacted ProServ to notify them to pick up the part at the Goodman's Distribution center in Mesa, AZ. When we called ProServ to find out when they would come back to repair it they told us it would be Monday, July 3rd. I called the owner (Patrick) of ProServ and told him that 4-days was too long. The owner called back and apologized for not knowing of the delay and that he would send his Tech (Mario) to be at our home on Saturday, July 1st @ 5am. Unfortunately, Mario waited too long to pick up the equipment.......when Mario went to pick up the equipment on Friday, June 30th, @ 4:25pm, he found out that Total Protect sent the equipment to the Goodman's Distribution center in Tempe, AZ! So, Mario didn't have time to get to Tempe and the Tempe distribution center isn't open on Saturday, so we were told that nobody could help us until Monday, July 3rd. Now we have been told by ProServ that they won't be able to fix our unit until after 5pm on Monday evening, July 3rd. And they have also told us we can just go find somebody else if we don't like it.

Now... it's Monday evening 6:45pm and we find with the replacement part that it has a leak. The ProServ technician does not install the replacement part. We get the warranty provider on the phone (Total Protect) and speak with the customer service rep. Purchasing department is closed and nothing can be done until Tuesday (July 4th) sometime during the day/evening now. No one can help us. July 4th is a holiday and no one cares. The temperatures are 112 degrees over the last 8 days. Absolutely no one at Total Protect has been able to help up and no one cares.

Now, mind you we have been in a hotel since 6/25.....and we have consistently and repeatedly called Total Protect asking if we could get this job re-assigned to another AC company, but we have been met with every roadblock imaginable. Our warranty company and the AC company, ProServ, do not seem to have a sense of urgency to help us in the temperatures that we are have in the metro Phoenix, AZ area.

This is the worst case of customer service that I have ever in my life that I have experienced. Complete disregard for the customer and I am not exaggerating about this. This is horrendous!

UPDATED ON 07/12/2017: On Wednesday, July 5th Total Protect contacted us and told us that the replacement part was available for ProServ to pick up and install and that an email had been sent to them. We sent a text to Mario at ProServ at 7:29am asking when he would pick up the replacement part and install it.
By late morning we had not heard anything from ProServ. After several attempts, using our cell phones, to contact ProServs main office, we called them from a landline and the receptionist immediately answered the phone. We asked what the status of the repair was and the receptionist stated that we were not on the books and they had not received an email from Total Protect. When we asked her why she finally picked up the phone when we called from the landline instead of when we called from our cell phones, she hung up on us!
At 11:43 we talked to Mario and he would not give us a time when he would pick up the replacement part or put us on the schedule. His attitude about the situation was that it was not a priority to get our Unit fixed as soon as possible.
At 5:42pm, we call Total Protect telling them that we cannot get a set date and time from ProServ to complete the job and that we need this expedited. Total Protect stated they will call ProServ to get us on the books as soon as possible.
At 5:56 pm, we texted Mario at ProServ again asking if the part had been picked up and would he please advise us when he will be back to repair the unit.

At some point, we were told that Mario would be at our home on Thursday, July 6th, after 5:00pm. At 6:15 pm, Mario arrived with the replacement part and goes up to the roof to begin working. By 7:27 pm, Mario discovers that the replacement part will not work with our unit because it is too old. As you can see from the picture, the replacement part did not fit our unit! !

At 8:12 pm, the owner of ProServ (Patrick **), told us that he would cancel all of Marios jobs for Friday (July 7th) and have Mario buy the correct part and install it immediately, bypassing Total Protect so the job would be completed.
At 8:30 am on Friday July 7th, we received a conference call from Mario and Patrick stating that the replacement part for our unit is not available except from the manufacturer because the unit is so old. To get the part from the manufacturer would take 14 days and if we wanted to expedite it (5-7 days) would be an additional $180.00. Patrick and Mario asked if we would stay on the phone while they conferenced in Total Protect. Patrick and Mario told Total Protect the issue with the replacement part and suggested that Total Protect replace the whole AC unit, which was their original suggestion two weeks prior. Total Protect agrees that an AC Unit replacement is necessary. We are asked to drop off the conference call while Total Protect and ProServ discuss the details of replacing the unit.

Total Protect calls us back and tells us that we can expect a call by close of business letting us know when the installation will be scheduled. They also tell us that we have to pay additional fees. We give authorization for them to proceed.

At 12:24pm, we text Mario to let him know that we gave Total Protect the authorization to go ahead.

At 4:30pm, we called Total Protect because we had not heard from ProServ regarding when they will install the new unit. Total Protect tell us that the new unit is ready to be picked up and they put us on hold to call ProServ. Total Protect calls both the main office and Marios cell phone but are unable to reach anyone or leave a voicemail because the cell phones voicemail is full.

We go through the weekend without any idea of when the Unit will be installed.

At 9:30am, Monday July 10th, we get a call from Mario stating that he is on our roof installing the new AC unit. We had no idea he was even going to be there! Mario says he is leaving and will be back in a couple of hours and could we be at the house so he could continue with the install. Mario and another technician return and get the AC Unit up and running. Mario then says he has to leave again and will return after 5pm to finish the job. He then calls after 7pm and says he will not be returning but will be back on Tuesday, July 11, to finish the job. Mario completed the job at 2pm on Tuesday, July 11th.

Bottom line, this is a summary of our experience:
We spent 15 nights out of our home and returned on the 16th day.
The temperatures during this time were between 110-116 degrees.
Mr. ** had to spend many hours away from work to be available to meet ProServ at our home.
No consideration was given for the excessive time to complete the job, money spent for accommodations, or loss of wages from time off work.

We experienced a complete lack of: professional courtesy, customer service, work ethic and integrity.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect's price was within budget so I chose them. One time there was a minor issue but they resolved it immediately. Overall, I had a good experience with TotalProtect and have been satisfied.

I've been a customer of TotalProtect Home Warranty (TPHW) company for over 5 years. As the years passed, I've received less and less customer satisfaction handling valid claims. On 06/12/17, I opened a claim for my broken A/C unit. The A/C service representative recommended new replacement parts (coil, etc.) to be installed.

TPHW company ordered the parts on 6/17. Their responsibility was to contact the service provider once the part arrived. After 3 or 4 phone calls to TPHW inquiring about the latest status of the part, I receive the run-around about who's responsibility to notify the consumer (me) that the parts arrived in the same same city that I live in.

I have young children living in this house without A/C. To make matter worst, the average temperature have been over 90 degrees in June. Today is 07/03/17 and its high temp will be 95 degrees. I called the service provider on 07/03 and TPHW for the latest status. Both are continuing pointing fingers at who's responsible for contacting the parts supplier.

Finally, 07/03 the service provider called the parts supplier and the parts had arrived some time ago. Mind you the customer had to TRACK down the status, and notify TPHW to finally get moving on this repair. This is totally unacceptable to my family and I experiencing unnessary extreme weather hardship because TPHW did not do their job. Latest update: Now we have to wait until 07/07 until the service provider complete the repair. This could have been all avoided if TPHW didn't drop the ball.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've contacted TotalProtect for repairs on my plumbing, hot water tank and then my floor furnace and the service has been real well, especially when I call. Submitting a claim can be done online but I'd rather speak with a representative. I feel more secure that way and they are very helpful. So far every last one of the technicians they've sent was excellent, except for the one with the heater. Not many people in California work on full furnaces and the first person they sent out didn't work on them. That caused a delay but it was no big deal and before that, I haven't had any trouble at all with the repairs. So far everything has been excellent and that's why I'm sticking with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband liked TotalProtect's pricing and started with them years ago. Everything's been really good with the claims process, and everybody who has come out has been on time and fixed the problem except the last time. My washer and dryer, range, soap dispenser, and dishwasher were messed up. Sears came out and fixed my washer and dryer. But both the gentlemen who they sent out to do my range and dishwasher gave me the run around. I could never get a hold of them. It was two months and it was horrible. I couldn't believe they could run a business like that. I'd call and they'd say, "We'll be right there." And then they'd say, "He ran out of gas." One time, they told me that they were at the front door. I went to the front door and told them, "No, he's not at the front door." And the rep said, "Oh, he's at the wrong house." But he'd been here for about five or six times before. It was a terrible experience. And I read the online reviews here in town and the people said they did the same thing.

I finally called back TotalProtect and I asked them to please give me somebody else. I complained on them because I didn't want anybody else to have to go through the run around. I cancelled appointments and everything else because I was trying to get my house ready to sell. I told TotalProtect that they should not be on their vendor list because people would get frustrated. They have to take off work and wait all day and then somebody would say they're at the wrong house? It was not TotalProtect company's fault though. It's the company that came out. I got something set up with Sears and they came out and took care of the problem. It was amazing. Overall, I would recommend TotalProtect. The other times that other companies have come out, they either called the same day and set up appointments. We've had a couple of them come out the same day and we never had a problem.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My central AC was 47 yrs. old and needed total replacement. At the same time, the pilot light on my gas water hater would no longer stay lit. TOTAL PROTECT provided a service contactor who could do both simultaneously. The service tech was completely professional, but there is a bigger story to tell: I had joined TP 15 yrs. ago through my mortgage co. Unbeknownst to me, I was on one of their lower plans with caps on repairs I didn't realize I had (fine print over 15 yrs. ago?). I drive a school bus for a living so I pretty much live paycheck to paycheck, and the cap on the central air was only $1,000 ! It would have had me so out-of-pocket I would not have been able to afford and would have had to skip the ac replacement and buy a couple of window units and get through the summers living in two rooms with the rest of the house closed off. Before I even had a chance to mention this, my service contractor (Trinity Mechanical in Baltimore, owner Steve Jansen), had already discussed it with someone he knew (Wayne, a person higher up in the authorizations dept.at TP). Wayne wanted "to make everything right" for me since I'd put over $6,000 into the plan for 15 yrs. (which I would have had available to me if I'd put it into an emergency fund), and waved the caps on both the ac replacement and the water heater repairs. Wayne even called me daily over the couple of days all the repairs took, to personally follow-up. During one of our conversations I learned that I had started out all those years ago (again, it had come to me through my then-mortgage company) with one of their cheapest plans, which is why they had the caps, but he and his co-workers in the dept. all felt helping me out was the right thing to do, and he also told me about better plans I could sign-up for when my renewal date comes up in Feb. 2018, which would not have the caps I encountered. Again, I never even knew who to call beyond the main customer service number -- the TP service provider they sent me used his contacts at Total Protect, and TP came through for me when technically they were not obligated to. Total Protect has proved to be completely HONORABLE in their dealings with me as a member. Thank You to Trinity Mechanical Service (Baltimore) AND Total Protect !

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

had to remove frig to garage because of leaks they send out repairman to fix $100 later warranty company says cant fix because in garage in which they have fixed before 3X but are refunding my 100$ just a heads up on how this company operates WHY would you send out a repairman in first place if you would not fix they want your money but dont want to fix things right I have been a customer for over 3years watch out for this service I have cancel and will not do business again with these people contacting BBB

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect was part of the mortgage when we refinanced with Bank of America. The process for submitting a claim is fairly easy and it has gotten better. I used to do it over the phone and my interactions with the claims reps have been fine. Last time, I submitted a claim online for the air conditioner and the techs came out the next day. The techs have been good, as well as the quality of their work.

However, TotalProtect started using certain companies and we'd have to wait a week before these companies came out. Then we'd have to wait another week before these companies would be able to fix our claim. Also, I don't like that there's a lot of things that TotalProtect doesn't cover and they don't tell you that. We'd have to pay just for somebody to come out. The cost was $75 before and they raised it to $125. They should be upfront with what's covered. I know sometimes they can't but if I specifically tell them what's wrong, they should be able to tell me if it's covered. But they're a good company overall.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My dryer would not restart after it was warm and made a loud hum when it ran. Total Protect sent a technetium out, and reported it was an intermittent problem & would not repair it. The dryer continued to get worse, getting to the point it would not start at all. After spending hours on the phone and getting a 2nd supervisor involved, they sent out another company that I was very happy with and put a new motor and some other parts that were worn. I should not have had all the trouble. I now have a water heater that has gone out, and am having issues getting it repaired. I will post the report when I get it resolved

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer
I have had this warranty protection over five years, every time I have an issue they are slow and it takes forever to get a repair completed.

I have been without my central air for two weeks, and I live in Raleigh NC where it is very hot and uncomfortable. After the service company determined what was wrong with my unit and gave the info to Total Protect it took another week to order the part............part still not here and I have been given the run around for the whole two weeks! When they say they will call you back they to not!! My unit is 15 years old and they have had several service calls over the last two years..........still they won't replace the unit, but they will repair when they get around to it!! Two weeks that is NOT customer service!

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Profile