Consumer Reviews and Complaints

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Shirley – we are glad to hear that you are pleased with the service, and that the process was easy. This is the type of service we aim to provide. Thanks for sharing! – Tanya

Original review: April 17, 2017

The house was five years old and it seemed like a good idea to acquire a home warranty. So, I thought it would be a good investment. I haven't had any problems submitting a claim with TotalProtect. It was easy. I would just call and then they have someone to call you or they give you the number to call whomever. When I called for the oven in my stove, they gave me a number for the service person. I then called and they scheduled an appointment for me. The service technicians that came out were respectful, explained everything and cleaned up after themselves. Overall, I haven't had any problems. So, I'm glad of that. As long as I get good service, then I'll stick with it.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

David – we appreciate your kind words, and you sharing your experience. Friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful are the qualities we like for our employees to have, and we are delighted to hear that we have been helpful. Thanks – Amanda

Original review: April 15, 2017

We've lived in our house for several years and we thought things might start to go. TotalProtect was the first home warranty offered to me and we've had them for several years now. The claims process overall was easy. We submitted a claim recently and it was real simple. I reported it online then I received a phone call from the service provider within a few hours and we set up an appointment. They came out, evaluated the situation, and decided they didn't have what they needed right that day. So, we made an appointment for them to come back and they came back and took care of it. The plumber who came out called the service rep to get approval and then handed the phone to me. The service rep I talked to was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

The technicians were on top of the job, knew what they were doing, and I was very impressed with them. They were punctual, very knowledgeable, and they took care of the problem in an expedient manner. Also, the quality of the work performed was great. I was very satisfied with the claims process, with the service technicians, and the people I spoke with at the company itself. I would recommend TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Marcia – Thanks for letting us know that we have met your expectations and sharing your experience! Sincerely – Heather

Original review: April 5, 2017

Whenever I file a claim I would call TotalProtect to let them know what I need work done. They would give me a claim number and a company that I can contact to have the work done at my house. Once they come out I pay a one-time $75 fee or if it's something that they do not cover then I would have to pay that out of pocket. And once they're done they contact me back and sometimes I get a call from them to find out how things are. All of the technicians were friendly. If I had a question, they answered it and sometimes they would explain things to me even if I didn't ask a question. That way I would know what they are doing. I haven't had any problems with them and I have recommended them to several people.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Ed- thank you for reaching out to us, we sincerely apologize for the delays. This is definitely not the type of service we aim to provide. Our records indicate that since the submission of your review we have confirmed that your refund has been received. We again apologize for the inconvenience. If you need any additional assistance please contact us directly. Sincerely - Tanya

Original review: May 19, 2017

Total Protect agreed to pay me $1,100 for a refrigerator that went out. My first time to request a service. I was to receive the $1,100 in March, now the end of May and they keep saying the check was sent. Many calls and letters requesting my money. Still no funds.

Total Fraud of a company! Dont waste your money! I have this service on 2 homes. One of the homes had a fridge go out 02/24. A tech came out a week later and diagnosed the issue. Total protect couldnt find the part to resolve issue so they stalled for 2 weeks. On April 1st they said it would be another month because the part had to be made. On 05/01 the part they ordered ended up being the wrong part. 3 months later I still dont have a working fridge and now the supervisors wont return my calls. When I cancelled the service on the other property because of this issue the rep cited some obscure clause in the contract saying I had to pay the balance of the remaining year since work orders were put in that year. When you sign up they tell you that you only pay on a monthly basis and can cancel at any time. There is nowhere in the contract that states this. I am now looking into legal reprecussions because they have in essence been collecting my money for months on 2 properties without any intention to perform

I contacted Totalprotect for a repair job for my dryer. The tech said the issue was the timer and that he would have to order the part. It was a Sears dryer and a tech from Sears. A few days went by called them back Sears I was told the tech forgot to order the part. But they took the $100 for the deduct. REALLY. Ten days went by and no repairs had been completed. I called back to Totalprotect. I was told that the part was ordered and sent to my address. I was baffled as to why would Sears order the part and send it to my house. A few more days went by again. I called TotalProtect again and was told that Sears would be out on Wednesday between 1 and 5. Well it's Wednesday. My wife just called and Sears said they will not be until the 25th. Very disappointed.

I've been with TotalProtect for several years now & initially they were ok. In the past year or so, it seems that they have lost their way. Last year, they were unable to find an air conditioning service person in a timely manner & told me to locate one that was licensed and insured, in which I did. The company I found repaired the unit for $680, I sent the paperwork to TotalProtect and they send me a check for $275 with no explanation. I called them & was told that they have contract amounts they pay for certain failures & they could only be responsible for the amount they pay if they sent out a contractor. Would I have rather the service guy come from TotalProtect, absolutely! U guys were the one that didn't have anyone available for nearly a month & then I'm penalized after I was told to go find someone. Really???! In any event, I let that go & it gets worse. I call them this year because my water line in my fridge froze and the water will not dispense. This happened last year and they repaired. The service guy came from GE last year, which is the maker of my fridge. They send Sears out this year and I pay my $125 service fee & they are unable to repair and says the door needs to be replaced. The Sears repair lady told me TotalProtect does not replace doors, so they would probably have to replace the fridge. I get a call this morning, about a week later, and I'm told this is an insulation failure or manufacturer defect and not a mechanical part, so they are not responsible. Is it an insulation failure or a manufacturer defect? They don't know but they know they don't cover??? I do understand contracts, etc., and I must say that if the same exact thing had not happened last year and they did not repair, in which they did, I would not be writing this review. If it can be repaired, it's covered, but if it has to be replaced, it's not. It has to be the same problem that it was last time and now it's not covered??? There seems to be a double standard here, now that they know they have to replace, according to Sears, they don't cover. And to top it all off, they don't know the problem, they just know that they cannot replace all of a sudden. Trust that I will push further with this and if they rectify as they should, I will report, but if not, I will contact an attorney which I keep on retainer to dig deeper with this incident.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect is a great service company. They were introduced to me through CitiMortgage when they were still my mortgage company. I just took it and I've been with them ever since even though I've changed mortgage companies. I thought it was good to have the protection on the appliances and TotalProtect has been very good. Their reps are very professional and attentive and I usually don't have any long wait times. They've been pretty supportive too. If I submit a claim, they're right on it, and if I have any problems, they work hard to resolve it. I felt like it was customer service. I've had a couple of snags with technicians but not too many bad experiences. The quarterly services have been good as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had American Home Shield years ago and I never had any bad experience with them. It was under my husband's name but I got divorced and I ended up with TotalProtect. I've called TotalProtect several times and recently, I filed a claim for the refrigerator. When I called them a couple of months ago, they sent somebody who came and changed the converter. With the recent claim, they told me that the guy from Sears put Freon and that there was a Freon leakage. I was away for three hours to get me groceries. When I came home from the grocery, the fridge wasn’t working. So I called the same guy who fixed the fridge and asked if he has a little bit time to come and take a look again.

When I called Sears, they said that they would send someone and they sent a second person out. When I called TotalProtect, they said that Sears gave them a report that the owner was not at home but I saw the guy. He came and looked at the fridge. Finally, when I called TotalProtect last weekend, they assigned me with a different service agent that has a really good customer service. They came home the day before yesterday and the guy told me they cannot fix the fridge. So I am waiting for them to submit their report sheet. It's been over three weeks now that I don't have a fridge. That shouldn’t happen to somebody who has a warranty especially if you have a family. Also, the CS from TotalProtect didn't take care of me well. When I called a couple of weeks ago, they are ridiculously rude but last Saturday’s call was really good.

Keep getting the run around and it's 80 plus degree. Very disappointed. I keep calling and they keep telling me the parts have been ordered. One lady told me today that the supplier should receive parts today, but of course nothing was received. Got to think twice about this company.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Joyce – we are happy that we have provided pleasing service. Thanks so much for taking the time to share – Janet

Original review: May 10, 2017

Filing a claim with TotalProtect goes very well and I haven’t had any problems with them. The technicians usually come out like they say and get the job done. If I have any problems and I need a return visit, I haven’t had a hassle trying to get somebody to come back out. The only one thing that I’m not satisfied with is the increase in the deductible that we have to pay.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Thomas – we appreciate you sharing your experience, and apologize for some of the inconveniences you have had. Your feedback is very important to us, and we are happy hear that overall you are pleased with the coverage. Sincerely - Tanya

Original review: May 7, 2017

About five years ago, I received some information about TotalProtect Home Warranty through U.S. Bank. At the time, my sister was alive and we decided to sign up for it. Other than my claim right now, it’s been very good, and even this claim isn’t terrible because it’s probably going to work. All I asked for was that I want my air conditioning serviced because I try to do that every year before it gets bad. Out here, it gets 110℉ almost every day and it seems like before. They ask what you want but this time they just took the information of my address and my Protect Gold number.

They had the company call me and they came out to do it. There’s a problem with the fan in the air conditioner. It wasn’t broken but its band would cause the motor to eventually burn out. I paid them the $100 deductible that I have, but the man said that I would have to call back Protect Gold and have them approve what they’re going to do. We had a little bit of trouble approving it, but I got a call this morning saying that they’re going to come out and that Protect Gold had approved putting in a new motor and fan. They didn’t want to use the fan belt, but they want to put in the motor. That wouldn’t have done any good because even the motor they’ve put in would eventually burn out and I’d put another one in.

Last year, I had to use the warranty for something and found out that they raised my deductible, which was originally $75, to $100. I don’t remember being notified about this. The man came over and I said, “Write you a check for $75,” and he said, “No, it’s $100.” I called and they said that was a procedure that had happened. That’s the only thing I questioned, but they did go up to $100. I protested to them via email and phone that it was $75 originally. They haven’t increased the monthly cost, but that would be the only thing that's negative. Other than that, everything has been very positive. I’ve used it for quite a few things -- for fans, for my dryer. Also, I’ve recommended Protect Gold to my brother and another friend of mine. They looked it up and I know they’re using it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Had a very wonderful experience submitting claims to TotalProtect. I usually call my claims in, but this last time, I did it over the net. The process was easy and everything I needed was there. All the technicians who've come were courteous and seemed to know what they were doing. They did the job and they were clean with it. They did a good quality work with the garage this last time. I will recommend them to family members.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We’ve been with TotalProtect for ten years. The results have always been satisfactory and we’ve been pleased. We’ve never really had any problems with any of the technicians that came out. They’ve all done a good job and been personable and easy to work with. Our most recent claim was for a washing machine motor and it was taken care of and the appliance performs fine now. We were quite happy and in general, we've been completely satisfied with TotalProtect.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect sounded like a good idea since I have rental properties. I live in North Central Washington and Arizona part-time but I have five homes in North Central Washington. I usually submit my claim by calling and it’s always been good until about a week ago. I put in a call for service and air conditioner and they couldn’t find anybody in this area to do it which is kind of interesting because I’ve used them before up here and they had somebody that came out and did it. So, I had to call my own person who does my work for me. He did it and I had to pay out of pocket. But I've never had a problem before. They usually send somebody out here that’s covered and taken care of so I was surprised this time.

Resolution In Progress

Had Total Protect (Homesure) come look at electrical issues at my home. They sent out a person who replaced a panel (incorrectly according to another electrician) and said he replaced another. The work he did was not permitted or inspected by the city. I continued to have problems so Homesure sent out another electrician (a good one this time) and he said both panels need to be replaced and wired correctly and also the whole house needed to be rewired due to numerous fire hazards. Home sure won't authorize the repair of the wiring (even though its covered in policy) and the electrician won't install the panels unless the wiring is repaired first. He said no respectable electrician could install them because my wiring is so bad. Meanwhile I am living in a fire hazard.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We've had our TotalProtect home warranty for so long, about 10 plus years. When we got it initially, we just had a newer house and wanted to have some kind of warranty. Submitting a claim is very easy. I usually just call up and give them my contract number. I tell them what's wrong and they double-check to make sure that the issue is covered. By the next day, I usually have somebody out here. I've had very good interactions with the technicians that have been sent out to service. The only thing is that they're from different companies because of where I live, and it’s not the same people all the time, but I never had a problem with anybody. The overall quality of the work that's been done has been very good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was looking for a home warranty because of the high-dollar items in my house, like my air conditioner. TotalProtect seemed to have good service after I used them for a while, so I kept them. When submitting a claim, I usually called the claim in over the phone. The representatives were very professional, courteous, and helpful. Then somebody came by my house and looked at the problem that I had. They either repaired the appliance or if it can't be repaired or costs too much to repair, they replaced it.

The most recent claim I had was with a water heater. They texted me to let me know when somebody would be coming and who would be coming out. The technician came out and looked at the problem, and I paid for the service call. They got back in touch with me and let me know when they would be back to make the repairs. The technician came in and made the repair, and he did a real good job. My water heater had a leak and it's not leaking now.

My TotalProtect home warranty is one of the things that I bought that was what it said it was going to be. TotalProtect provided the service that I was paying for, and I didn't have to go through a whole lot of red tape to get it. Moreover, everything that they've done so far was very high quality. Up to this point, I've had a pleasant experience with everyone that I've dealt with there.

I am very dissatisfied with Total Protect Ins. I filed a claim 2.months ago for my Refrigerator not cooling . It toke them 6 weeks to fix it .I pd over 100 in ref. Rentals. And last week. I filed Claim for my central.air cond. They went by to ck it but never opened evaporator, but on report it states it was dirty. So ins will.not cover it because it was dirty, which it wasnt..My elderly mother lives with me and it's been.real.difficult for Her..

Updated on 05/16/2017: I ve had so Problems with Total Protect with my refrigerator repairs that took 6 weeks to my Air Cond. Not covered because there was water around outside unit...And the latest this morning, I can cancell my warranty..Thats a joke! Why would I want to continue being a customer with a company that is worthless, why would I continue giving them my hard earned money.. I was told I can't cancell till Oct 2017.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The home warranty that I had before was going out of business and then I was given the opportunity to take a TotalProtect home warranty through my bank. They're fabulous at TotalProtect. I made a claim for my furnace. I called them and they found a company for me. And then TotalProtect called them, we made an appointment, and that was it. The technicians came and they did what they had to do. I've had TotalProtect for quite a while and so far, we've been able to work things out. Anything they fix and anytime they send someone to your home, you have a six-month warranty without paying another copay.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect Home Warranty was offered through GMAC Mortgage. It was pretty easy when I filed a claim, which I liked. I contacted the 1-800 number and when the technicians came, interactions with them were good too. The quality of their job is good as the thing is still working.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a mortgage at SunTrust Bank and TotalProtect came through there to start with. During my last claim, I had a commode problem. I've got four high commode seats and I got recall cards on three of them. They were leaking, and the plumber that was sent twice never fixed my leak completely and it was ruining my floors. This last time though, TotalProtect got somebody that acted like he knew what he was doing, and he fixed my leak. The tech called me when he got through. He guaranteed his work and told me to call him if they started leaking again and he'd come back. The work done was excellent and I was very pleased with them.

I also had a leak with my refrigerator and the water poured off. I found out that it was not covered under the home warranty so that was a little disappointing. I had TotalProtect cut the water off because it was gonna cost $700 or $800 for them to change one little line. We decided to not do that right now. They had already taken care of it. Overall I like the idea of paying the $75 and if my claim's covered under there, they take care of the rest of it. I've never had to replace anything but the $75 is a lot because you never know what the plumbers are gonna charge. But I'm satisfied with their service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect was recommended to me, and it was the first time I'd ever heard about it. It seemed like a very reasonable offer. At that time, my husband was still alive but he was very ill, and I knew I would be living in a house by myself pretty quickly. He was always the handyman around, so it behooved me to have some kind of protection plan in place for when I was going to be a single homeowner.

Claim submission is very easy with them. I almost always use the phone and call on the line as opposed to doing it online, as I like to talk to real people. But I have done both ways and have had very good success. The reps were very professional, friendly, courteous, and thorough. Also, I've never been disappointed by any of the technicians that have come out.

However, recently, there was one company that was recommended for an HVAC yearly inspection, and they never called me back. After three phone calls, I finally called TotalProtect back and the rep who handled everything for me got back to me right away. She said that the contractor lives over an hour away and they preferred not to come. My only comment that point was that the contractor should have called me back and told me so, as well as told me to call TotalProtect back and get a different recommendation, which I did get.

The gentleman from the other company I got is right here in my hometown. He called me and said he would call me again to set up an appointment for this week. But as of today, I have not heard from him so I will call him again and give him another chance. Other than these, TotalProtect saves me lots of money because I've had a hot water heater, a garage door opener, a garbage disposal, a washing machine, and plumbing worked on. At the end of the year, whatever I've spent in my monthly dues, I've gotten it back in the service that I've received.

Resolution In Progress

Filed a complain in Feb2017, but still not able to fix my refrigerator. They are sending the cheap companies who are not able to fix my VIKING refrigerator. Called them at least 30 times so far but they are not taking any interest to fix my refrigerator. The repair person came with no knowledge. So far they have come three times and i have to take off from work to be present when they come. They can not come as per the convenience of the client. The company signature appliance came three time and just wasted time. On their third visit, they asked me to sign the paper without fixing anything or any part. Even after refusal they sent report that work is completed. Total protect didn't even bother to called me and check if the work done satisfactorily. When i called them about my complain, they told me that your claim is already over. Now i am calling and asking them to get this rectified and send someone who is approved from the company but they are not sending anyone and insisting that same person will come. To my surprise, even after bringing to their notice, they still do not bother that this has been more than two months that we have not completed the job. For no reason, they are taking my money regularly without attending any of my complains. Don't know what i should do. This is surprising how they manage their approval rating to attract the customers.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

As a realtor, I've been happy with American Home Shield but much less as a consumer so I stopped using them. But I knew I had to get another company. And when I got TotalProtect in the mail, I looked it up and saw the ratings and we gave it a try. I’ve been very happy and satisfied when submitting a claim. They’ve changed their systems since I first started with them and it's very easy to submit a claim now. They have great and professional people. The technicians are knowledgeable. They called ahead and came on time. They were wonderful and I recommend it to other customers.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have TotalProtect's premium service, where they also come out and do maintenance. That was the determinant factor for us. Initially, it was just a home warranty, but they had told me if I paid so much more a month, I would get the maintenance part and that favored me because I had some maintenance separate for things. I call TotalProtect for claims and it's all went very well. The reps, as well as the techs, have all been good. The contractors fix the problems right away.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Submitting a claim with TotalProtect has been easy and straightforward. For the most parts, their reps have been good but there were a couple of missteps. A couple of times, they told me that I'd get a call from one company but I didn't. There's no follow up too, so I was left high and dry. When I had a problem with my furnace, they said that a company will come but that company didn't service my area and they never updated their documentation on their record. I called back and told them which company they had sent the last time and I'd like the same company to come back because they're familiar with what's going on. So TotalProtect called the company and said, "Yes, we understand that you've been working with Alan. We'd like you to go back there and manage the claim." And they were happy to do that. The contractors that TotalProtect sent are great, efficient and they cleaned up after themselves.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Our home is getting older and it would be a good idea to get a home warranty. We figured after 10 years, things might start to go. Submitting a claim to TotalProtect is very easy and they usually call us and ask. We only had one problem in the very beginning with one of the technicians. He didn't understand what he was supposed to be doing as far as our air conditioning was concerned. The customer service people resolved it right away. One of the things that they've got for us was a plumber, Crawford Plumbing. We love them. We have them all the time now for anything we need through TotalProtect. We always ask and they always let us have them and we're really happy about that. I'd recommend TotalProtect.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect came with my house when I bought it 15 years ago. Submitting a claim with them was easy and I usually do it on the phone. They'd get back with me, tell me who to contact and I contact them. Then, they'd come out and would either repair or replace the appliance. Their reps have been real nice and friendly. But with the service techs, that's a different story.

The last service tech that came out, I sent TotalProtect a report. I emailed to them that I don't want that company back at my house. The service tech had to come out twice to fix the problem. First time, they were in such a hurry. They didn't even look for the pipe that was leaking. They said, "It's not leaking. I don’t see any water coming out," even after I told him exactly where it was leaking from. So, it started leaking again. I had to call them and they came back out. The second time, they said to put a clamp around it. After that, I decided to re-clamp the whole house. That company missed out on a $5,000 job and also put a bad taste in my mouth with the warranty company.

Overall it seems like TotalProtect always repairs the appliance instead of trying to replace it. Lots of times, they had to wait to get the parts for it. When they do that, for the time they spent getting parts and doing research, they could've replaced the appliance a lot easier. Also, it used to be $75 for a service call. Now, it's $125. For that reason, I might be changing and I'm gonna be looking for another service company. TotalProtect has been very good before. However, in the present, it hasn't been as good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We got TotalProtect when our mortgage company years ago changed. It's been fine in submitting the claim but they don't pay for anything very big. We have had to pay quite a bit of expense on the air conditioner and some stuff like that. What they'll do is they'll send you a check for half of it or less. My husband keeps telling me to cancel it but I've kept it. Their reps are nice and we’ve had a good experience as far as the speed and generally, the experience has been fine. Overall, it's worth it.

I was paying for 3 properties since early 2015. In Jan. 2016, one of my rental units sprang a leak from the water heater inlet plastic pipe. I requested a plumber to fix the leak, but he refused to fix it because he does not work water heaters!!. I told the guy that the leak is from the burst pipe due to the freeze up we had then ( which he could see), but no way. I called customer service whom to my dismay supported him!!. I argued, supposing the problem was from the water heater then you should fix it under the warranty. The stupid answer was (yes, but this is the pipe leading to the heater!!). I was pulling my hair, paid the deductible and paid another plumber to fix it due to the urgency of the situation.
In April 2016, I reported the toilet seat was loose in the same unit. When the plumber came and saw it he called customer service who told me that the warranty is void (because the bolt fixing the seat to the floor came loose due to being over torqued!!). I said the condo is 13 years old and that area is corrosive so it is a normal damage. Besides, who would tamper with the seat if it was sitting properly?. No way. I had to pay the deductible. I made numerous calls over several days just to be able to speak to a supervisor, she gave me the same answer (no logic)!. Same troubles to speak to the manager. She was of the same mentality.

I had to pay another plumber to do the job. I Was so disgusted and cancelled.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a home warranty with a different company, but they were too expensive, so I looked for something that was more price-range. TotalProtect's customer service and the companies they have that come out and service your home is much better. When I spoke to them, I was satisfied with their professionalism, the accredited companies, and how their rating goes. Since I've been with them, I found out that their service people are awesome. They're also very helpful and professional when I submit a claim. They jump right on it and I never had an issue with them. It's an easy process.

I've had one small issue with the toilet, where one company that TotalProtect sent out told me that I needed to replace the whole toilet and another company said I just needed to replace a part of the valve system, and the TotalProtect people were very helpful in resolving the issue. However, there was one company sent out that I didn't find to be as professional, and I wasn't happy with the first rep they sent for the toilet issue as he was not very courteous and knowledgeable. TotalProtect was happy to send a different technician out, and so far I'm absolutely happy. I love the fact that TotalProtect is always ready to get in there and make things right.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We've been with TotalProtect for a number of years now and I'm satisfied. They already know who I am from my previous calls when I call the number they provided when filing for a claim. Someone answers and I explain to them the problem. The techs were professionals.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Profile