3.17/5
Based on 554 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TotalProtect, along with its parent company Cross Country Home Services, is a leading home warranty provider with 37 years in the industry. TotalProtect offers coverage for appliances, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical and more. The company has been BBB accredited since 2007 and offers a 6-month guarantee on covered repairs.

TRUSTe Certified Privacy
Customer Certified by Bizrate
180 Day Workmanship Guarantee
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 24, 2018

2441 TotalProtect Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 23, 2018

I've been with TotalProtect for eight years and my experience with them has been excellent every time I submitted a claim. I called them, told them what was wrong, then they took it from there. The interactions I had with their reps were excellent as well. They were very courteous, helpful, and they took care of everything. I haven't been on the phone with them over two or three minutes at the most. All of the techs that came out here were wonderful, too. I'm very pleased with TotalProtect and I've recommended them to my neighbor across the street beause he asked me who I was with. I plan to stay with TotalProtect as long as they keep renewing my contract with them.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Getting TotalProtect Home Warranty sounded like a good idea and it has worked very well for us, so far. Most of the time, they were prompt when we submit a claim to them. But last time, it was a claim for my air conditioner, they told us that the technicians will be here on a Wednesday and they came a couple of days before they were supposed to come. We’re getting somebody from out of town most of the time and that took more time. But this guy was local and he was very good and very prompt, and I appreciated that. He had the part, he fixed it right then and my A/C has been very good since then. We’ve had some bad some experiences too and that was because of the contractor but it got straightened out.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I’ve had a home warranty for years. We had it first for the appliances. But now, TotalProtect has a maintenance program where they come out once a year for the different appliances, plumbing and electrical things. Whenever I submit a claim the reps call right back. And if the first company who comes can’t fix the problem, TotalProtect selects the second company to come out. I submit the claim both over the phone and online but the phone is easier than online. So I’d rather do the phone and talk to a person. The reps know what they are talking about and how to get the service I need and the questions that I ask were answered.

My husband was around when the first technician came out. But I was referred to another one. Both technicians were ahead of time. They were the first one on the list and were there right away. The second time the technician came, he didn’t call first and was at the door. But otherwise, everything was fine and they did a good job. The quality of work performed was very good and I will refer people asking to TotalProtect.

Original review: April 21, 2018

My experience with TotalProtect has been great. I would simply call them to submit a claim and make arrangements from there. The claims rep was courteous and answered my questions. And for the most part, the technicians they sent out had all been helpful and informative. The quality of the work done had been satisfactory and I would recommend TotalProtect.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I’ve had TotalProtect Home Warranty for a while. Their price was good and I liked the stuff they offered like the deductible on a homeowner insurance when we have a claim. They have excellent service. When I get a claim, I submit a claim online to get the contractor schedule and they are on the spot, I don’t have to wait. On the other hand, the technicians were very friendly, very down-to-earth and they talked to me. They explained things, and they got things done. Overall, the quality of work performed was excellent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Original review: April 20, 2018

I had a home warranty before, but I wasn’t satisfied with it. One of my friends told me about TotalProtect and I got a warranty from them. I've had a good experience submitting a claim. The online process is very easy and it takes 10 to 15 minutes for their representatives to get back to me once I submitted a claim. Also, the technician they've sent was knowledgeable, polite, and well-dressed. He did a good job, too.

Original review: April 19, 2018

TotalProtect is a rip-off!!!!! They allowed one of their Authorized HVAC CO. To charge me $1,605.00, Non covered charges, that I had to pay up front before they would come out to repair my heater, I requested that TotalProtect give me a different Service provider because no one pays a business before they do the work! TotalProtect said no you have to use the service provider that we already authorized. The company charged me $320 for permits that they never obtained. They installed my furnace on 4/5/18. I called (L&I) License and inspection on 4/5/18, they told me that no one has applied for a permit for my address, I called TotalProtect 4/6/18, made them aware that they charged me for permits but did not obtain them, they put my complaint in review. I called them 4/19/18, I spoke to someone in review they stated, the HVAC company will call me when they receive the permit numbers to give me. I said they are supposed to get approved before they come out to perform the work which was done on 4/5/18 not after the work is done, today is 4/19/18. I requested my $320 back, they said the HVAC co will call me with the permit numbers when they obtain them. I contact License and inspection, they told me to contact the Attorney general department because the procedures are you have to get approved before you start the work, not after. I can not believe that I pay TotalProtect $71.95 a month to get ripped off! ??????????? ?

Original review: April 19, 2018

I got frustrated with my service provider because when I did a refinance on my house, they could not transfer it over after multiple tries so I changed. I looked online for somebody that was doing the same thing and that had a similar product. I ended up with TotalProtect and have had a contract with them for years. When I submitted a claim, it was frustrating at first. It wasn't troublesome but providing that information, getting the technician to come out, and the technicality within the coverage frustrated me. They were not incorrect in the spirit of their details in the contract. It had to do with the air conditioner's coils and rust, and rust is a non-covered issue. I thought about dropping but I didn't. Recently, I had them respond to a claim on faulty electric lines. Everything about that went exactly as it should have been, satisfactorily covered and concluded, and in a timely fashion.

Every one of their reps or technicians had been fine. The work on the range was exactly what it needed. It was a defective part and the technician ordered it. It came in, he replaced it, and we were back in business. S & S Appliance is the vendor that they use to do their work in our city, and I was very pleased with them and the service they provided. And the young man who did the work was prompt, personable, efficient, and kept me informed on time. It was a good experience. I just submitted a claim with the dishwasher and I'm expecting the same good service. They use the same service provider and I'm awaiting them to give me a call to say, "We're coming tomorrow morning or tomorrow afternoon." TotalProtect is good but be careful that they will be complying with the letter of the contract.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I've been with TotalProtect for a very long time. Their coverage is very good. Whenever I submit a claim, I call them out and they give me a claim number. They give me the phone number of the person who's gonna come to my house and set up the appointment. It's quick and whatever my problem is, they usually take care of it. The representatives I spoke to were very nice and most of the technicians who came out were very good. Recently, I had a problem with my toilet and TotalProtect sent a plumber. The guy knew what he was doing and he fixed the problem right away.

But, it doesn’t always happen like that. I have two homes and I have the insurance on both homes. My home up the state is further away from the beaten trail so it's not as easy for TotalProtect to have people locally or close by to service me. I had a big problem with the person who came one time. I didn’t like him and I complained because he came on his way from I don't know where and he was going on vacation for the weekend. The guy did not do the right thing and was dallying around. I ended up having to call TotalProtect back and they sent someone else who took care of the problem right away and knew what it was.

I've recommended TotalProtect to a lot of people but not everybody wants to pay a monthly fee. It's worth it for me because I pay the monthly fee and lots of times I end up getting back whatever I paid and sometimes more. I also like that I don’t have to look for an electrician or a plumber and TotalProtect sends a person for me. I would like to be able to request for somebody that I had a good experience with but TotalProtect has a revolving thing where they give other people a chance. So, they don’t like to sending the same person out.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I left the warranty company that I was with and came to TotalProtect. When my air conditioner wasn't working the technician came out and told me everything that he was going to do and what he found that was wrong. He corrected it and everything has been working wonderfully. He is one of the most professional ones I have ever met out of all the technicians who came. He walked me through everything. Whatever he did, it was taken care of. He was courteous and awesome. Give TotalProtect a try because I've had good experience with them.

On the other hand, I've had some of the actual people that TotalProtect call out to do the work and I haven't had the best experience with some of them. It took a bit longer to get the issue taken care of. It was an additional $1,400 that they charge me out of pocket and it was a whole lot since I had to get an entire unit installed. And for what they did and what they said that they had to do, I didn't see any extra.

TotalProtect didn’t have anybody to inspect what the contractor said that they were going to do. They installed the unit outside and one inside but they didn't go in the attic and do anything. I couldn’t understand what the $1,400 was all about? They didn't walk me through and tell me. When I asked about it, the technician told me that I have to call my warranty company and they'll tell me what they have to do. I had to make sure I get what I'm paying for which was a lot for me and I had to take out a loan to do it.

Original review: April 18, 2018 I've called in twice to customer service to get an assistance with an Air Conditioning claim and both representatives were worthless. The first I could not understand and they would not provide their name nor their managers name. They promised a call back from a manager which I never received. The second representative named Steven provided no information, called me a female and then hung up on me. Steven asked if I had any more questions and when I did he seemed to lose his cool and decided to hang up. What kind of customer service company hires this type of employees???? Obviously not a good.

DO NOT USE Total Home Protect/ Cross Country for a home warranty. Their process is slow and no one can give you an update of what is going on. Managers are not accessible. I would love to hear Steve Upshaw or Doug Stein's opinion on how his company performed. I would be embarrassed.

Original review: April 18, 2018

This home insurance company is a theft. We have paid for years our premiums, and the one time we made a request for covered repairs, they left us waiting for days, to then state that there was no garantee that they were going to even dispatch a service provider. Eventually we had to take care of this out of pocket.

Original review: April 17, 2018

TotalProtect partnered with Bank of America and it was the best way to go at the time. I did the enrollment myself and it was easy. They sent out the paperwork and I filled it out. It took a few questions and the information and billing, and that was it. I had two experiences over the air conditioner, and it's good to be a commander in the Navy to hold them accountable because it took forever to get it done. I was deployed and I had to get on the phone and call from a long ways away, and it took them five days to get a part in.

All I had to do was go local and talk to the repairman. He talked to me and said, "I can go here and pick up the part." He was doing everything in his power to help my family, but TotalProtect wouldn't have him do that until I called them. They were trying to cut corners and that is not the way to do it. I had to go all the way up to the manager for the repairman to go over and get the part. Now it seems like they're doing really well 'cause we just called in our last claim two weeks ago and the repairman was here the next day. He was perfectly great with the wife and got everything done.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

James - Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear you had some delays with one of your claims. We appreciate your feedback and you taking the time to share the good and not so good experiences with us. - Tanya

Original review: April 16, 2018

I submitted a claim to have my air conditioner repaired last summer. They sent out a company who said the compressor needed to be replaced, we replaced it. A few days later the house stopped cooling. I immediately called the company who did the repair, they ignored my calls and messages for more than 2 weeks. Total Protect finally had to reach out to them and somehow get them to call me back. They came out and said “Nothing was wrong, I possibly needed so new duct work and they don’t do they “ and left. They refilled the coolant and the air worked for a few days, then it stopped. I called Total Protect again and they basically called me a lier and said the company stated nothing was wrong so that’s that - they will not come out again without paying another $75 deductible. I finally could not take it anymore as I had a newborn baby and I had to pay the $75 deductible and requested for them to send another company out. This company told me the coils needed to be cleaned and that’s it. But it would be $300 to do so (even after I just paid $300 for the compressor they said needed to be fixed) .. Coils were cleaned, a few days pass — house is back at 85 degrees. I called Total Protect again, who basically called me a lier and stated I needed to pay the deductible to have someone else come out. Having no other choice I paid the deductible and the final company who came out says “Your coils aren’t dirty, the compressor didn’t need to be fixed ... your inside unit is leaking Freon and that’s been the problem your whole time, and none of these other companies should have ever poured Freon in your unit“ — A few days later Total Protect called me and said I would need to pay $900+ to have the until repaired. This is after the $300 deductible, $300 coil cleaning, $75 x 3 deductibles I’ve already paid and now it’s September - the end of the Summer. Myself and my children suffered 85 - 90 degrees ALL Summer. I explained to the representative that at this time I don’t have any more money to put into this, definitely not $900 and I would have to call back next summer and have the company do the work. They said okay. So the great part is, I CALLED BACK LAST WEEK TO HAVE MY AIR REPAIRED, I PAID ANOTHER $75 FOR ANOTHER COMPANY TO COME OUT ... ALL FOR TOTAL PROTECT TO SAY THEY WOULD NEVER COVER MY UNIT BECAUSE I “ REFUSED REPAIRS “ LAST SUMMER. What a LIE AND A SCAM !!!! If i could give negative stars I would. Customer service is horrible, companies they send out are questionable, they do not care about their customers.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 16, 2018

Do not use this company. I used them for years but they have a new system that’s sucks. I waited almost two months to get my dishwasher replaced. I got pissed and wanted to cancel my policy. They told me if I didn’t pay my 49.95 a month for the last two months( which I contested with my credit card company) they would try to ruin my credit.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Letty - It sounds like we’ve let you down. Your experience definitely does not reflect the type of service we aim to provide. We appreciate you sharing your experience and regret that you have canceled a warranty. – Tanya

Original review: April 16, 2018

TotalProtect's claim process was very simple. I submitted the claim over the phone and then they identified the problem and then it continued on. It would have been quick too had it not been a GE product. I understand that GE went out of business and it was hard to find the parts. TotalProtect reps had to call all over the country to find replacement parts. It took about two and a half weeks to get the parts shipped. But once they had the parts, they called and said, "The parts will be there tomorrow, and we could schedule the serviceman first thing in the morning." And I really liked the technicians. They were young guys but so professional, thorough and all-reassuring. They showed up right on time and did a perfect job. It was great.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Maureen - We apologize for the delay in the delivery of the parts. It is our pleasure to give great customer service. We’re delighted that your overall experience was stress-free. Thank you for taking the time to share. - Tanya

Original review: April 15, 2018

We looked into home warranties for protection so that if anything happens, it covers the basics in the house. My wife was the one who dealt with TotalProtect first but recently, we submitted a claim for the refrigerator. They came out and they thought they knew what the problem was. They fixed it, it was so so and two weeks later, it was doing the same thing. I called TotalProtect Home Warranty again and they had the person out here the next day. It was all covered. Everything was great and the couple of instances I had with them were very positive experiences. I’ve had no problems and I’m very pleased with the service people who came out.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

David - we are pleased that you and your wife are satisfied with the service. Thanks for sharing your experience. - Tanya

Original review: April 14, 2018

My husband told me about TotalProtect Home Warranty and he kept saying that we should really do it so we did it and I was glad we did. I’m very pleased with TotalProtect Home Warranty and I have them in all my houses. I have one in Connecticut and two in Arizona. TotalProtect was better when I looked into them. They were fair and they’ve been very nice. The people at TotalProtect have always been very polite when I called up with my questions. They were right there when they needed to take care of our property. It’s very easy to submit a claim with them. I just call up and they say, “Okay, we’ll get back to you.” I just had a problem with my refrigerator and TotalProtect gave me the name of the technician so I contacted him. He came out and everything was perfect and I hope it continues like this.

The claim we had years ago was for an air conditioner at our house and that was quite a hassle. I was without air-conditioning for a long time in Connecticut in the summer but they resolved it all and we were satisfied. The one that just came out now was a wonderful man. He came out to fix our refrigerator and was very nice and polite. He’s that kind of a person that I could make a friend of. The overall quality of the work of the technicians was fine. We’re very satisfied and I couldn’t get anything better. I feel very comfortable and if something looks like it might go bad, it’s okay because we have TotalProtect. I have recommended them to people.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Marie - We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We aim to make our claim process effortless and are glad to hear that we met your needs. - Tanya

Original review: April 13, 2018

We have had TotalProtectHome for quite a few years. It is to protect all of our appliances and mainly, the air conditioning and heating -- those are so expensive. We have had good service from them, and we’ve been satisfied. Also, I am in insurance, so I understand how the submission of a claim works, and it is fairly easy. We usually make a phone call, and they refer us to one of their vendors and we contact them or they will get in contact with us. The claims reps have all been very, very pleasant, very helpful, and very knowledgeable.

This last time, I did have somebody come out to service my washer and dryer. He replaced the dryer and the belt. But what we called initially was this loud noise that it makes and it is still doing that even after servicing. After we run it after a minute or two, however, it goes away. It is tolerable, so I don’t know what the problem is. He said, “I don’t know what else to do. I’ve replaced everything already.” But, it works fine, so I haven’t bothered with it. Before he came, the noise didn’t stop. It was continuous. Overall, he did very well. I would recommend this company, and I have recommended them already.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Pamela - Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our goal is to provide excellent service and we are delighted to have done so. I'm sorry to hear that your clothes dryer still makes a minor noise. Our warranties typically do not cover noises but we will make every effort to find the root of the problem. Should you require any further assistance with the clothes dryer give us a call. - Tanya

Original review: April 12, 2018

My wife found TotalProtect online somehow. Something popped up and we called and decided we should do that. We've been with them for four years now and we love them. Their reps have been excellent and the contractors they sent out have been wonderful. When we had the dishwasher repaired, one guy came and said that the problem was with the recycling motor. Then, he retired two days later. The next guys that came said that that wasn't the problem and they thought it was electronic. They ended up fixing both the recycling motor and the electronic because they were both bad and that took about eight weeks total. So we washed dishes for a few months, which was okay. By the time they ordered parts and got them in, they rescheduled to come. We talk about TotalProtect all the time and hopefully some people will hook up with them

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

James - We love you too and appreciate your loyalty! Thank you for sharing your experience. - Tanya

Original review: April 11, 2018

On April 8th 2018,my central A/C stopped working. I called Total Protect and they set up an appt with a vendor for April 9th Their vendor arrived, as promised, and "fixed" the problem. A/C worked fine until the next evening, Tuesday the 10th. Another call to Total Protect-they contacted the SAME vendor, who told them he was busy and could not return. The vendor also told them to contact another vendor to resolve my problem. I called Total Protect early Wednesday morning-the 11th. I was told they could not locate another vendor and that they were sending my file to dispatch and I needed to give them 24-72 hours to respond. This was a less than satisfactory response for a service that I pay $37.95/month. They just do not care and just want your $$. I would not recommend this company to anyone looking for a home warranty!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I've had TotalProtect for years and I'm happy with everything. Reading about what a home warranty ended up doing, I figured it would be a good help. When submitting a claim, I'll call in and I'll report what's going on, and then they're able to tell me if it's covered or not. On my last claim, there was one thing I asked them about with the bathroom sink, and that part about to come off the wall was not covered under the warranty. Only the plumbing part was covered.

The techs call me before they come and then if I'm not there, I usually leave someone there to be able to work with them and let them be able to do what they have to do. They ask me what exactly the problem is and from there, they go ahead and explain what they have to do to fix the problem. The last claim was the same problem I had before, and I was one month too long to be covered under the warranty where it would have been fixed without me having to pay the copayment again. Overall, TotalProtect is a good company to go with to help out with certain situations in the house. I've already shared them with my future in-laws and I've recommended them to my neighbor.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Bobby - We appreciate you sharing your experiences and are thrilled to hear that have referred your friends and family to us. Thaks! - Tanya

Original review: April 10, 2018

I’ve had TotalProtect ever since I bought my house. And they’ve always been right on top of things. If something is not right, they take care of it. They’re very good. The claims process with them is very easy as well. I make a phone call then they set it up. They contact the vendor. The vendor contacts me for an appointment and then they come out. They do what they got to do then I give their one fee money. Usually, the quality of their work is really well. Over the 16 years I’ve had them, I’ve probably had two incidents where it wasn’t quite done properly and I called them back and they sent somebody else out. I’ve been happy all these years with them.

I like the quarterly preventative maintenance service. They can check all my appliances at one swoop. They came in one afternoon, for two hours, checked everything out, and said, “Okay, we got to do your washing machine.” And then, the button on the dryer wasn’t working. The technician came back a week later, got the parts and brought it in. He was here, in and out in like 30 minutes. They're a very knowledgeable people. They also do electrical. In the next quarter, I’ll have them do my plumbing, check everything out. I’d rather be on early prevention rather than when something is broken and I can’t get heating for a month.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Sandra - We are delighted to hear that we’ve been able to satisfy your home warranty needs. Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with superb service and we are happy to hear we recovered on some claims and delivered on the others. Thanks for sharing! - Tanya

Original review: April 9, 2018

I’ve always had a warranty since I bought the house. When I looked up home warranties on the internet, I found out that TotalProtect's price, coverage and records were pretty good, so I went with them. Their people have been very nice and helpful. Sometimes, when I submit my claims to them, somebody might get confused like what happened to my plumbing claim the last time. But that was mainly my fault for describing something wrong. If I describe it quite right, there should be no problem. Also, certain things that should be covered aren’t really covered. For instance, I thought the electricity in my garage was covered, but it wasn’t because it’s not attached to the house. So it’s little things like that that bothered me and I ended up having to get someone and pay out of pocket for the repairman who fixed the electricity in the garage.

One time, I emptied a bucket down my bathroom toilet and there was a little washcloth in it. It just clogged my toilet and I knew I couldn’t get it out with my little own thing. TotalProtect sent out a plumber who said that if something was stuck down in my toilet, it was going to cost me more. But I knew it wasn't a big thing and the reason you call plumbers is because something is stuck in there. So I told him he could leave and I would get somebody else to come over here. This other repairman came in and he was here for five minutes. He went in, put it down a thing, then the washcloth came out.

I’ve also had companies that didn’t do a good job. When my water heater was broken and had a leak in it, the technician said he fixed it. Then, a day or two later, the whole thing was leaking out again. So TotalProtect sent somebody better out who fixed it properly. So, the experience depends on the company that TotalProtect sends out. Other than that, I have told my friends about TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Maureen - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback. - Tanya

Original review: April 8, 2018

We got TotalProtect Home Warranty as a “just in case” method and so far, we haven't had an issue with them. The only issue I have is the people that they’re using. We’ve come across some of these companies that have a terrible rating with the Better Business Bureau and then there are some that have a perfect score. TotalProtect shouldn’t have businesses that have an F rating. I've read all their stuff and found out the reason why these companies have an F rating is that they don’t complete their stuff and they don’t back it up, and people have had major issues that’s cost them thousands upon thousands of dollars. I don’t expect them to have an A+ rating, but they need to at least have a B+.

We happened to have a sink and a bathroom issue and sure enough, TotalProtect called the plumbing. I looked this company up and they got an F rating with the Better Business Bureau, so I called TotalProtect and they said we couldn't pick. But they gave me somebody else and lo and behold, I looked that company up and that company has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. I usually submit my claims online and then a phone call. It's pretty quick and easy. The technicians that come out are really good and the recent ones have been really good as well.

The recent tech guy was very informative and I watched a little bit then left him alone. He had an apprentice with him that he was teaching, so it was pretty neat to see a master technician teaching his apprentice on what to do, and he was really thorough on everything that he did. Overall, I like TotalProtect because it’s a good thing to use, plus it works. We haven't had to use them often but they’ve been reliable for us.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

James - Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the services we’ve provided to you. We appreciate your kind words and feedback and always welcome it. - Tanya

Original review: April 8, 2018

When we bought the house in Kansas, TotalProtect's home warranty was offered to us. When our one-year contract with them was finished, we continued using them. Our past experience with them made us decide to keep the warranty. When we called them, they were always able to take care of things for us. Submitting a claim with them was very easy and it was no hassle. Usually, we called them to file claims.

The last time that we submitted a claim, there was no interaction with the claims representative. I just called, left a message, and TotalProtect set up the appointment. Our interaction with the technicians was fine. I explained what the problem was and they did some troubleshooting. Then they decided in ten or 15 minutes that the problem was due to a bad motor on the unit and they replaced it the next day. Everything has been operating fine since the repair. We’ve had good experiences overall with TotalProtect. They’ve been able to fix things for us with no additional charges.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Robert - We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We aim to make our claim process effortless and are glad to hear that we met your needs. - Tanya

Original review: April 7, 2018

I've been with TotalProtect for five years now and I've been happy with the service. When I started, my house was 15 years old and I decided it would be wise to have that protection. Submitting claims has always been a very smooth process and their claims reps have always been good. The contractors they've sent have been good folks and I've been satisfied with the work they've done. I recommend TotalProtect. They've been good for me.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Steven - We are thrilled to hear that you’ve had an awesome warranty experience. Providing efficient repairs and excellent customer service is our primary goal as your warranty company. We appreciate your loyalty.- Tanya

Original review: April 7, 2018

I live way out in the country, so I pay way more than the standard fee whenever I have anybody come out here. My mortgage company added TotalProtect to my Mortgage payment. TotalProtect had been fine but the last couple of times since they changed to ServiceBench, it had been chaotic. You couldn't get the phone line in, and when you did, getting to the claims process itself had been very difficult. It was not like it used to be where you could call 24 hours a day and somebody would answer the phone. They don’t take the calls timely and I don’t wanna have to wait a week to get somebody out here because they can't get them on the phone.

When I had a problem with my furnace in the attic, I paid the guy that TotalProtect sent out my $100 and he did absolutely nothing. By the time he was pulling out of my driveway, the furnace didn’t work and he never came back and they never sent him a comeback thing. It was during the winter time when it was really cold in Texas and the furnace was my only source of heat. I called and explained to him that I had been without heat for a week. Then he came back and walked in upstairs with some kind of screwdriver and said he fixed a loose wire. The furnace came back on and then he pulled out of the driveway and then it quit. I called him back and he said that he had to get another thing for TotalProtect to come back.

When I called TotalProtect, I told them not to send that guy again because he didn’t fix the furnace the first time. Evidently, he didn’t know what was the matter with it. So TotalProtect sent another company. They came and knew what the problem was but they couldn’t fix it at that point because it was something that was done wrong when the house was built. Also, TotalProtect said the first guy that fixed the loosed wire had to come back because he was the one who had the claim. But I told them that they sent an electrician the second time because it was an electrical problem. They wouldn't communicate with each other.

I only had to make one call before and everything was taken care of. Now, you really would have to stay on top of it and make several calls, and then a thing would come on it and say you have another 25-minute wait, and then they would get it all screwed up. Other than that, TotalProtect would usually pick companies that were good except for that one that didn't turn around at the end and come back. But as far as getting the work done, it has been excellent.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 6, 2018

DO not use total protect Home Warranty company!!! I have two homes one warranty for each home I've had these for over 3 years. We are trying to get a claim on our furnace it's been going on for over a week 20 degrees here. We are retired we purchased purchased this for peace of mind, it is anything but that. Worst customer service I've ever worked with. They couldn't find anyone to come and even service my furnace, so they told me I could get someone pay them and they would reimburse me. It took me five different companies to get anyone that would work with a Home Warranty company because they make it so difficult for them. They came out they sent the invoice that they requested. Then customer service said they needed a more detailed invoice which included how many parts like they have a gas nipple how many gas nipples what's the price for the gas nipple and what's the price for labor for each and every part. The company I'm working with has said never had anyone ask for such a detailed breakdown. It's taking them hours and hours to try and satisfy the customer service or their approval Department whatever it is and it's still not done. You send something into them and it takes days for a response. Every phone call is at least an hour on hold. Worst company ever.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Donna - I’m sorry to hear about this experience. It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. Our goal is to provide our customers with a peace of mind and we missed this objective. Thanks for allowing us to address your concerns yesterday. We will follow up with you to ensure you receive your reimbursement check. – Tanya

Original review: April 6, 2018

I’ve happened to ask TotalProtect to assist me on a few occasions, and they have been good. At the latest time, they appointed a technician to come out in no time at all. It was for my heating and the guy did his job and I paid the deductible. When I have a problem, I call TotalProtect on the phone and their response is good. So far, so good. And hopefully, it won’t change. I’ve been with them for a few years and I haven't had a problem.

TotalProtect Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

TotalProtect Home Warranty, headquartered in Sunrise, Florida, is part of the Cross Country Home Services, Inc. family of home-related companies, which has been in business since 1980. TotalProtect offers three different plan options, so consumers can select which systems or appliances they want covered.

• Guarantee of work: Unlike most home warranty companies, TotalProtect Home Warranty provides an 180-day guarantee on all service work provided under their warranty policy, so consumers have six months to follow-up on service calls if the results were unsatisfactory.

• Service providers: TotalProtect has 40,000 screened service providers around the country. In addition, consumers are surveyed after every service call and their comments are included in the company’s “Dynamic Vendor Rating System.”

• Price options: Consumers can choose to pay $75, $100 or $125 for each service call. The monthly premium will be lower if customers select a higher service call fee, which the company refers to as a deductible.

• Customer service: TotalProtect customers with questions about their policy or who need to request service can reach a U.S.-based customer service representative 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Representatives are available 365 days a year.

• Limit amounts: The total limit for claims on the least costly policy is $10,000 and the limit per appliance on that policy is $1,500; higher limits apply on other policies.

• Best for: first-time buyers, home sellers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Information