2. Homeowners

4.2/5 (1395 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About Cinch Home Services

Cinch Home Services, who offers a variety of products including the TotalProtect Home Warranty, is a home warranty provider with more than 40 years of experience. Cinch offers coverage for appliances, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical and more. Costs start at less than $1 a day. Cinch has a six-month guarantee on covered repairs. Plus, some plans offer appliance discounts, credit toward air conditioner or water filters and a free leak sensor.

Pros

• Plans starting at less than $1 a day
    • Great coverage
    • Long workmanship guarantee

Cons

• Higher service fee

Bottom Line

Cinch Home Services offers three home warranty plans at affordable monthly rates. Although its service fees are a bit higher, the company has an excellent workmanship guarantee.

Top Cinch Home Services Reviews

Verified

I made a claim to Cinch for a plumbing issue. They came out quickly and got it taken care of. I had a toilet leak and a shower leak, and they fixed both of them. The tech was grea...

Verified

Submitting claims to Cinch has been really easy. I just go to their site and type in what my problem is. When their techs come out, they ask what the problem is and after I tell t...

Cinch services

Cinch offers three plans — the Appliances Plan, the Built-in Systems Plan and the Complete Home Plan. Each plan comes with standard benefits.

• 180-day workmanship guarantee: If there’s a problem with an appliance or system in the first 180 days after a covered repair, Cinch will fix it again with no additional charge.
    • Protection for preexisting conditions: You won’t have to pay for repairs just because of a preexisting home condition you didn’t know about.
    • Rust and corrosion coverage: Your service request won’t be denied because of rust.
    • New appliance discounts: Cinch can help you save money when purchasing new appliances.
    • Additional home management tools: Plans include $25 toward A/C or refrigerator filters and a free sensor to detect water leaks.

Cinch coverage

Cinch has three levels of coverage. For the best value and highest level of coverage, we recommend the Complete Home Plan. The Cinch Appliances Plan is the most affordable option, and the Built-in Systems Plan offers a moderate level of coverage.

To file a claim with Cinch, you can call the customer service line or file a request through your online account.

Cinch Appliances Plan
    Cinch’s most affordable plan has coverage for the following items:
    • Clothes dryers
    • Clothes washers
    • Cooktops
    • Dishwashers
    • Food centers (built-in)
    • Free-standing ice makers
    • Microwaves (built-in)
    • Ranges
    • Range exhaust hoods
    • Refrigerators
    • Trash compactors (built-in)
    • Wall ovens
    • Smoke detectors
    • Sump pump
    • Toilets
    • Water heater
    • Whirlpool/jetted tub (built-in)
    Cinch Complete Home Plan
    The Cinch Complete Home Plan covers everything in both the Appliances and Built-in Systems Plan to give you the most comprehensive protection and it includes Homeowners Insurance Deductible Reimbursement.

Cinch cost

We found that the most comprehensive Cinch plan with the highest deductible in Houston, Texas, costs $49.99 a month. Cinch’s plan costs vary based on where you live and the deductible you choose. Cinch has three deductible, or service call fee, levels: $100, $125 or $150. Expect a higher monthly cost if you choose a lower deductible.

PlanService call feeAverage monthly cost
    Appliances$150$34.99/mo
    Built-in Systems$150$39.99/mo
    Complete Home$150$49.99/mo
    Prices quoted for Houston, TX. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing for your location.

Cinch FAQ

How can I manage my Cinch plan?
    You can manage your Cinch plan from your Cinch account online, which lets you download your contract, open a service request and update your information.
    Does Cinch have a workmanship guarantee?
    Yes, if a problem resurfaces within 180 days after the covered repair, Cinch makes a new repair at no cost to you.
    Are there limits on repairs?
    Yes, in some cases there are limits to the amount Cinch will pay to repair specific items.
    Is Cinch a new home warranty company?
    No. Cinch Home Services was previously known as Cross Country Home Services and sold warranties under the TotalProtect brand. The company recently changed its name to highlight its commitment to making owning a home easier.
    Does Cinch offer any other coverage?
    Pools, spas, well pumps and sump pumps are optional add-ons.

Do we recommend Cinch?

We highly recommend the coverage Cinch offers. Its three plans, in particular the Complete Home Plan, offer great coverage at affordable rates. The 180-workmanship guarantee is two to three times as long as the guarantee provided by its competitors. We also like that it has several ways to open a service request.

Cinch Home Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cinch Home Services?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

It was easy as pie to submit the claim online. Cinch gave me an individual that came out to work on the fridge. The guy came out, worked on it. He came out four different times, wasted Cinch's money and time, replaced almost everything in the refrigerator freezer, a 20-year-old freezer, but it still didn't work. I lost almost $700 worth of food, breast milk, and days and days without a fridge. I even had to go out and buy something out of my pocket, in my house, and put it, before Cinch finally decided to replace it. It didn't matter whether you replace it or get someone to fix it. But it was a three-week time frame.

Cinch assigned a client advocate. Brittany was very good and was a nice person. She kept sending somebody out. But in the end, after the fourth time, she said no. Because I told her, "I can't waste any more money or I'm going to file a small claims in court. 'Cause this is crazy." She said, "Well, all I could do is give you the $25." She gave me back the co-pay that I paid for them to come out and do the service. But I have money. I could have bought a fridge but I didn't want that. If I bought it and it ended up being fixed, then I would have just been out of pocket. But at what point do you say no? I wouldn't even let a vendor tell me, "Hey, I could fix something," time after time. And every time he came out here, it was a different story. The same problem over and over again.

The first time, I lost about 600 because everything in the freezer and refrigerator got lost. It was packed full of food, breakfast, everything got wasted. Then they fixed it. Three days later, same thing. When I replenished all the food, guess what? Same thing again. I went out and bought another $300 worth of food. So in the end, I spent more money than what they gave me to replace the fridge. I'm not asking anybody for anything. But I'll be darned if I'mma keep throwing good money out the bath because someone don't want to make a decision. I thought it was odd. I didn't know that was the protocol.

Overall, they Cinch was fine. Their personnel was fine. It's the vendor that they associated with. But Cinch needs to understand at what point does someone at a higher level look at the process and say, "Okay, yeah, that process is broken." But I appreciate it and I'll keep the service as long as I can. I have even referred my daughter. She now has it and a couple of my friends. Even from time to time again, even from TotalProtect, no problem whatsoever. But this last incident was too much. I have never ever lost any money. It's COVID. It's a bit stressful. You can't replace breast milk. We could have bought some online, but to me that sounds disgusting. It was enough breast milk for a minute. We lost it all. But things happen.

I've had TotalProtect umpteen years. And when Cinch took over, I'm fine. But I don't know if something has changed within the company where they were making more rules or say, "Hey, we're not just gonna arbitrarily replace something." At some point, you gotta make a decision enough is enough, even if a customer loses that kind of money as well. And I have receipts to prove it. We gotta look at it from a holistic standpoint. But other than that, I'm satisfied with Cinch, because overall, they took care of it. I had to go out and buy. I couldn't wait another day. I just went on and bought it. I say, "Hey, if I had to have to sell this one, if they fixed it again and it started working, it is what it is.” But they gave me the replacement value for that fridge.

Cinch Home Services response

Brenda - We appreciate your dedication to our company, and for taking the time to provide this feedback. We hope to be able to deliver the same great service you’ve come to expect from us for many more years! Sincerely, Dena

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I've had TotalProtect for over 10 years and the reason I’ve kept them was, at first, when they were TotalProtect, they were kind and courteous. They listened, and they were fair. If you told them something, they would look into it, and they would get back to you and you would come to an agreement. There were a couple of problems, but we just ironed them out. Now, when this new company took over, I don’t find them as well as when I was under TotalProtect, but I’ve chosen to stay with them rather than to change and start over with another company. I had a serious problem when my dishwasher went out and they had Advance Plumbing come here and look at it. The man said it would be more to fix it and then he couldn't find the part.

They then said they were going to get a new one. I’m 71, so I’m not good with computers, but when I was offered the new one, they showed me. I had me to go on the computer to see and I found that it wasn’t reputable to what I had. It was a one-star in every review. Every review showed that it wasn’t any good, and I told them about that. It took them almost two weeks. I gave them a number that I saw that was on that line where that one was then finally, they decided to look at the one that I showed them. I even said I’d pay the difference, which was $25. When they decided to get that one, the delivery guys brought the dishwasher out and set it down and the guy looked and said I needed a different hose.

He also said they were going to leave the unit on the floor and I had to get somebody to change that. The other guy then said they would call in and the company would send a plumber. It wrapped on all the rest of that week and I didn't hear from them. No plumber showed up either, and the dishwasher was sitting in the middle of my floor. I called the warranty company back and that’s another difference. I used to not have a problem speaking to an individual but when you call now, it’s extremely hard. When I finally talked to a guy, he was short and very abrupt too. You never know what an individual’s going through, but if someone is going to be in that type of service, they should try to be cordial. There's no need to be abrupt and rude.

I asked to speak to his manager and he said he didn't have a manager available, so I hung up and ended the conversation. I called back the next day and I got a gentleman who put me on hold for forever. When he came back, he said they didn't know why the delivery guy told me that. He said they don’t send out plumbers and I had to get somebody then he hung up. By then, I was really frustrated, so I looked up some plumbing companies, but I knew a plumber who ran Brewer Plumbing Service. He came out and he said all the delivery guy had to do was a little knob. Anyway, he changed that and he took the old one out then put something in and connected it. The service fee would've been $125, but because I knew him, he charged me $100.

I paid him out of my pocket and I’m still paying my monthly with TotalProtect, whoever the new people is. I was a regular nurse, but now, with Covid going on, I’ve been just doing some part-time essential work. When my daughter tried to run the dishwasher, she asked what was coming out the front. I thought it was water, so I said maybe the plumber didn't connect it. I called him back and I told him that water was coming out of the front. He came back and when he started to run the dishwasher through the cycle, he heard a big noise. He opened up the unit, but he didn't charge me.

He said I had two problems, so I was going to have to call an 800 number and have them send me a tech out. He said the top that goes around was springing back and forth. That was not supposed to do that and something needs to be done about the top spindle. The plumber also said I was missing a piece. There's a connection for a bottom and there isn't a bottom. I called the 800 number, and supposedly, they are going to send somebody out on Thursday to look at it. For as long as I’ve been dealing with TotalProtect, this is the first time I’ve ever experienced this. I’ve gone through the ringer and I still don’t have a dishwasher. This has taken over a month as well.

Cinch Home Services response

Carolyn - We are thrilled you have been a valued customer for 10 years! We hope you remain a valued customer for many years to come and appreciate your feedback to help improve our processes. - Austin

Original review: May 15, 2020

The Realtor that we used when we relocated to Cincinnati suggested that we ask for a home warranty on the house that we purchased and she was the one that recommended HMS. We’ve had it for about 18 years now. Submitting a claim to them was just like every other company. It started off where I would talk to a live person a lot. Now, it’s not so easy to do that. I have to follow quite a few prompts through the voicemail to finally talk to a live person. It’s become more automated. Over the years, it’s gotten more and more difficult. Like for the renewal, for example. Three years ago, there was a rep that would call and talk about renewing the policy. Now, I'd get three emails and one thing in the mail, and that’s about it. It was not so much buyer-friendly. But that was what stood out about them. I’ve checked other companies over the years, and I found them more customer-friendly than the other ones at that time.

The contractors that came out were probably not the best known for the area that I currently live but the equipment and the panel trucks they drive in are usually decent shapes. All the ones that we’ve had in Florida always wore a uniform and they look respectable. It’s not like we're getting a third-rate person to come and fix the air conditioner. Their quality of work is good.

However, I had a couple of hiccups. I live in about an hour south of Sarasota in Florida and an hour north of Fort Myers and the problem is HMS doesn’t have contractors in my little town. It’s always somebody that has to drive an hour or an hour and 15 minutes to get to my home. There’s not a lot of vendors to choose from that wanna travel to my area. That’s the first thing. So, a lot of times, if it’s in July and I'd get an air conditioner issue, the contractors that would service here are booked solid. But they show up within their allotted time of 48 hours being here. When I lived in Cincinnati, it was much easier because I live closer to the city. I could call and get someone out the same day or the next day.

When my air conditioner was out, I called HMS on a Friday night at 5:30, which was terrible because the contractors were all closed at 5:00 on Fridays, and they'd have skeleton crews that work on Saturday for fixing air conditioners. HMS gave me a company’s name and telephone number so I called then the phone actually rolled to a different number and it rang, and I got a voice mail, and I left a voice mail. I didn’t get any callback Friday night. I called Saturday morning at 8:00, then I called again at 10:00. I called again at noon. Finally, a guy picked up the phone and pretty much cussed me out once I’ve done the other because I was bothering him so much. I told him that it was the number that I got and that it was rolling to his phone from a business phone as I was not dialing it direct. It was Monday morning before I could talk to anyone, but it wasn’t HMS’ fault. It was the contractor.

What happened was the girl that works for the office was sick that day and the boss routed the phone to the wrong phone number. He made a typo. Instead of 4 5, he typed in 4 6, and this poor guy was kinda upset. He was getting phone calls at all times of day and night so I felt sorry for him. Then I said that I wanted somebody else to come out. It was 88 degrees and humidity was 88%. I couldn’t go without air conditioning. Once it was resolved, the guy came out the next day. He had to order the part, but they were able to bypass the issue to make the air conditioner run until they got the new circuit board in, and then they came back and fixed it. So, it worked out fine, but it was kinda stressful from Friday night till Monday morning.

Cinch Home Services response

Thanks for sharing your experience Tim. We appreciate your feedback to help improve our customer satisfaction. - Austin

Original review: April 29, 2020

I'm happy with TotalProtect. It's not TotalProtect that I'm having issues with. It's the company that came out to my home. When my washer and dryer stopped working, I ended up calling TotalProtect and they went ahead and put in the order for a company to come out. That company was A&S Services and they sent this technician by the name of Mike, who was a very rude person.

The first time he came, I wasn't home but I was just down the street and when my son didn’t open the gate for him, he was only gonna give me 10 minutes to get here until I could give him the deductible. Straight out, he said he needed his deductible before he could start. I was being polite and I gave him the deductible. Then he checked my washer and dryer, and he said he was gonna order a part. He took pictures of it. I had to wait three weeks to get this washer and dryer going. I'm a foster parent with three autistic non-verbal kids. They pee in the bed. It was just terrible.

When the part got here, Mike came in and I opened the gate for him. Then he said he would walk behind me and close my gate. Then he said, “You work out?” I went, “Excuse me?” So I asked for his name and he couldn’t give it to me. I told him I had spoken to a Mike, the dispatcher and this guy said that was another Mike. He said he’s Mike too and he’s the other’s supervisor. He walked in and he was going to the garage that's attached to my house. I went into the house and a few minutes later, he knocked at my door and said there was a problem. He had the wrong part. I asked, “Don't you guys have extra parts at the warehouse? Don't they match the serial number to make sure that the parts that came in matches with what you guys order?" He said it wasn’t his job and that if I have a problem, to call his supervisor. He is such a jerk.

When I called the supervisor, I didn't get a hold of a supervisor. I got a hold of Mike. I asked if this guy was his supervisor and he said no and that he was just a technician. I told him I needed the guy out of my house, that he was being very rude and that I didn’t like the little comments that he was saying. He did not yell at me because he's very calm. But with the words that he said, he was just mean. When I went back to the technician, I told him, "You know, you lied to me." He said he didn’t and that he told me he was a technician supervisor. I said that he told me he was Mike’s supervisor and he said I just didn’t understand. I told him he needed to leave my house and ever since that happened, I've been having so many issues. I even had an issue with a girl named Alicia, their representative. She was very rude. It's frustrating.

I called the warranty company and told the rep I didn’t want that company here. I had gotten a call from somebody at that company and they told me that Mike was gonna come to my house because he was really pissed off. I don't know what he was gonna do. So I ended up calling the police and made a police report. I have my daughter, my son and my daughter-in-law here. I do not want him stopping by my house because now, he's accusing that I tried to seduce him.

TotalProtect told me that they were gonna go ahead and give me another company, which they did. But when I made an appointment with that company, the girl was being rude. I told her my call was an emergency and she said all calls are emergencies. The earliest she could get someone out here was gonna be Thursday and I said, “"You know what, that's fine. I've been without a washing machine for freaking three weeks, and a dryer."

After all that happened, I got a phone call from the first company again saying that Richard was supposed to come back to my house because I didn't want Mike here anymore. Then Richard said he wasn’t going out anymore and that he had told Mike. Mike said it was okay and that we had another company but he was gonna find out what company was gonna go here. I guess there's a program where they could see what company is gonna come out to my house. This is sad the way they work with things. This is sad how Mike wants to get somebody back. It's wrong. I don't want anything to do with that company whatsoever.

Then I got a call from the second company saying they had to cancel that Thursday appointment and make it for Friday. It was ridiculous. So then I started thinking when Mike found out what company was coming out to my home. I ended up canceling with the second company. I don't need this issue. I'm very disappointed. But it's not TotalProtect I'm having issues with. They have been very good to me. When my refrigerator broke, I called TotalProtect and they sent out a company that was very polite. The man that came in ordered a part and said that when the part comes in, he would be out here. He fixed my refrigerator and I didn’t have any issues. For this washer and dryer claim, I'm asking for my deductible back but TotalProtect said they couldn't give it back to me. It would be up to the company that came out to my home.When I asked the company, they wouldn't give it to me.

Cinch Home Services response

Laura, We’re sorry that your experience with one of our service vendors was unsatisfactory and we want to let you know that is definitely not the level of service we aim to provide our homeowners. We would like to follow up with you personally to address any concerns you may have and ensure that it will not happen again. Please respond with your full property address and my team will follow up with you personally. Thank you, Austin

Original review: April 21, 2020

I had a claim for the hot water heater and the people that Cinch Home sent out said that they had to repipe this and this. I told them that they didn't have to do that. Instead, I told them to bring me the hot water heater and put it there. But they said they couldn't do that. I called Cinch Home back and told them that the morons they sent out here were no good. They told me to just send them the bill, but when I did, they said that the company I hired were not on their contracting list.

Then, my furnace went out. At the time, it was 22 below 0 in Chicago and there was no way I could wait for Cinch Home to send the serviceman out to do it. It was gonna freeze up the water pipes then I'd have more of a mess to do, and only my appliances would go. I had to have the furnace done right then and there, and I told them about it. But they said they were sorry and that they didn't care about that. Cinch Home need to improve on their people. They’re in Florida and whoever I dealt with didn’t know what was going on in the whole underground. Nothing freezes in Florida and you can go without heat there. But you can’t go without heat here in Chicago in the winter.

They also told me to send them a bill but even when I did, they did nothing. And I was disappointed with them. Compared to that, the guy I called came out and checked the furnace in two hours. Then, it was back up and running, but it was no good. He said it was an old furnace and suggested that I replace it. I asked how long it was gonna take and he said that he could be here the next day and change it in one day. I agreed and it only took him a day to come out. He came out in the middle of the night and put the new furnace in.

Other than that, Cinch Home took care of my air conditioning unit at one time and that took them four weeks to do, which was no big deal because it was summer time and it was warm. But at another time, my air conditioning was blowing warm air and the serviceman was sent out three days later. He said that they had to charge it with Freon. I agreed and when he did, it cost me $65 at the time instead of a 125. After he charged it up, it was working. But it started getting warm again, so I called them up and told them about it.

The guy came out and said that there was a hole somewhere in there. He said they'd have to replace this and this. But I told him to call the home warranty company and explain to them what he had to do. He then said that for him to to take things out, I had to pay 400. I told him to get the approval for the repairs from Cinch Home and I would remove the unit myself. But then, he said I needed other things. Also, one time, the tech who came out said that he needed to replace a 220 60 amp breaker. But that was put in when they installed the appliance. I told him that that thing was perfect and to just replace the parts that he was supposed to.

All in all, I have Cinch Home for a long time and and they're good. So far, they've taken care of the minor stuff such as stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, washers and recently, they sent out a tech who cleaned my dryer. But the people they sent out to do the major repairs would add stuff on thinking that I was a dummy. Cinch Home has to get better contractors and they have to set something else up, especially in the Corn Belt up in here in the north. They gotta find people that can be out here quickly.

Cinch Home Services response

John -We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. We work hard daily to identify weaknesses and tweak our processes to ensure our customers have the best experience possible. We appreciate your feedback, and ensure it is provided within our company for further review. Sincerely, Christine

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

TotalHome Protection did pretty good except that had we been in a dire emergency. It took a week to get it done. They did all that they could do with it as far as trying to get somebody out here, but I don’t think they turned it over to me quickly enough. My heating unit went out. It went out on Sunday, and it wasn’t fixed till the next Monday. The first person took four days to get here. They said it was due to COVID that it's hard to get a provider. But when we talk about heat and my wife was sick, that was really unacceptable to me.

Also, the last time I submitted the claim with my oven was around 12th of December, and they didn’t come until the 5th of January. Over the Christmas holiday, my oven was out. They just said that the provider could not come until then. My wife doesn’t think that the oven is working properly. It took an hour for it to get up to 450. It shouldn’t make that happen.

Cinch Home Services response

John - We work with trusted experts and it is always our intention to assign the right technician at the right time to meet your needs. We appreciate your feedback and the time you took to share your experience. We're glad to hear that overall we met your expectations. - Austin

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

We had a claim on our furnace and it ended up being minor but the tech fixed it. He came in and showed what it was. The heater is fine now and I’m glad that was all it was too. He was good and professional. The time was good too because TotalProtect gave us the time allotment. Everything was smooth and I had no problems. I was satisfied.

Cinch Home Services response

Enrique, We do our best to provide an easy claim experience for our customers and are thrilled to hear you were pleased with the service you received. Have a great day!  – Austin

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

When you submit a claim, you just call Cinch and they take care of it. The last tech that I had was amazing. I liked him a lot. He was from Sears Home Repairs. So, he was a good one. They had to replace my fridge because the tech who was sent out damaged it and voided the warranty on it. But this last tech did an awesome job. Cinch is easy to deal with and prompt.

Cinch Home Services response

Scott, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were extremely pleased. Thanks for sharing! - Austin

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

The thermostat wasn’t working correctly and the repair went very well. The tech was very polite and informative. He was good.

Cinch Home Services response

Vivian, We do our best to provide an easy claim experience for our customers and are thrilled to hear you were pleased with the service you received! – Austin

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

Cinch has been very proactive and very responsive in sending somebody out and fixing my repairs. My claims reps have been great. The only thing that I had wondered is why the deductible went up so much from when I originally had it. But even the $125 isn't bad. I've been satisfied with Cinch. The last people that came and did a service were so efficient and good. I had to go back ad forth, but eventually, they approved the new unit to be installed. So, I'm overall very happy.

I was talking to another friend of mine who said that someone had another brand. When they went to file for a service, they were disappointed. They were told that they didn't cover that, and that might have very well been the case because they don't cover everything. But the one that I have, Cinch, might be more expensive but it covers pretty much everything. I had the microwave and the heating thing claims, and they handled them. The service people were very professional and on time and they did not leave until the service was completed. So far, so good.

Cinch Home Services response

Bonnie – We're thrilled to hear that you’re satisfied with our trusted experts sent to service your claims! In an effort to keep premiums low, we did need to raise the deductible required for service due to rising claim costs. We hope to provide you with peace of mind for many more years! Sincerely, Austin

Cinch Home Services Company Information