Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect is a really great company and has a good service. I would highly recommend them. I used to have another home warranty that wasn't worth a damn and I mentioned it to a friend of mine who had TotalProtect. I then contacted TotalProtect and switched over and I've been very happy since then. If I call right now, I would have a claim in 3-5 minutes and I'd know who's the contractor and have his phone number. The contractors immediately get the claim as soon as I get their number. If it's a workday, I can talk to them within just a couple of minutes. I'd normally call them before they call me. Then they'll come out and either fix the problem or get a new one if it can't be fixed. I got a brand new $1000 refrigerator a few months ago because the old one wasn't made anymore and its part was not available. So they're the best.

The techs who come out are very knowledgeable and smart. TotalProtect uses Sears for appliances and Sears has better appliance technicians and service people than anybody. But they also send out people who aren't from Sears. But with the refrigerator, they sent a Sears guy out. I don't know how they go about selecting their contractors, but I have been happy with every contractor and they seem to know their business. They're polite and get the job done quick so I couldn’t ask for more. Overall, TotalProtect does what they say and do it in a polite, speedy manner and they don’t waste my time.

This complaint is in regard to the companies that TotalProtect sends out to fix whatever's broken. They sent Reeves air conditioning and heating out and it is going into week 3 and our furnace still hasnt been fixed. When we called them (Reeves), the lady is very unprofessional and has an attitude when questions are asked. The guy from Reeves came out to fix our furnace and was up there for 2.5 hours only to come down and say that the warranty company ordered the wrong part. Why it took 2.5 hours for him to figure that out is beyond me. Frustrated with the treatment and customer service, we go online to look up the company's reviews and they are horrible. So now my frustration is also with TotalProtect because it seems like they should do an evaluation of customer satisfaction with the companies they dispatch to fix claims. On Thursday (2/16/17) the lady from Reeves called and said that they were picking up "the right" part for our furnance and that the technician would be out to fix our furnace on Monday (2/20/17) between 1pm-5pm. Well it is now Monday and currently i am waiting for the technician to call or come, as I write this review...mind you, it is now 4:48pm and we have not seen or heard from anyone but as soon as we call (either the warranty company or Reeves) i bet that there is going to be some lame excuse as to why no one showed rather than taking responsibility for the lack of professionalism. Also, I want to add that when I called TotalProtect Thursday (2/16/17), i asked how do i put in a complaint against the warranty company and Reeves and the customer Rep said that a supervisor would call me back. No one has called, hence this review. It's funny how there is never an issue for either company to make sure payment is made on time but can't make sure to get the work done in a timely matter. This is going into week 3 of this claim. I have a 2 year old and thankfully the weather hasn't been too cold or too hot or we would be shit out of luck.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect was good. I called their telephone number and they gave me the name of the person to call to fix the furnace. It took a while for them to get out here, which I was concerned at because I care for my 88-year-old aunt. But I do have a fireplace and I do have an electric heater that I put in her room. The problem was that first, they said it was the master computer chip. Then they came and brought a new one and brought it back and my furnace still wouldn't start.

It was also confusing 'cause I called the office and I said they told me they would have the part in by Monday but no one's called me yet. The rep said, "No. According to my paperwork, your work order is completed." And I said it's not. So, she called technician back and she called me back. She said she couldn't read the guy's writing. So, they made me an appointment and they came out again. And that time, he was here around three hours working, trying to figure out why he couldn't get the furnace to start. But he kept working on it and he finally figured it out and it's worked fine since. The tech did a great job.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Our most recent claim with TotalProtect was for the dryer in the house. My wife was very pleased with her interaction with the rep who sounded concerned and gave her some suggestions and came up with Sears. It was very professional and caring. Then the technician was excellent. The first time he came, I was the one who received him. He checked and noticed that the motor needed to be changed. He explained it to me and he was very friendly and knowledgeable about what he needed to do. When he came back to the motor, my wife was there and he gave her a few tips about the best use of the dryer.

I signed a contract with Total Protect because of an endorsement I received from my credit union Pentagon Federal. I have had this contract approximately 2 years. The fist time I submitted a claim they were pleasant and responded promptly with solving the problem. However, I recently submitted another claim regarding the overflow drainage pan on my water heater. I know this because my homeowners insurance adjuster looked at the issue and determined that was the problem. So instead of filing a claim with my adjuster which would have been more than my deductible ($500) my adjuster suggested I contact Total Protect to do the necessary repairs. After submitting the referral a technician was dispatched and afterwards I received a phone call from a Total Protect representative who identified herself as Chelsea. She stated the call was being recorded and proceeded to tell me that I would have to pay $975.00 for permits and code compliance according to Section 4, para 5 of my contract indicating the hot water heater needed to be replaced. I asked her how much did it cost to replace the unit including labor,, she stated she was not allowed to disclose that information. I then explained to her I don't understand how the unit needed to be replaced when my homeowner insurance adjuster stated it only needed a minor repair. She became argumentative and I told her that I was not going to have the service done. She then stated that I could still have the service done and they would cover up to $675 in repairs if I chose to use a different company. Within, 15 minutes later she called back and stated Total Protect would not be able to do anything because the unit was installed incorrectly. Question, how did the unit go from needing to being replaced, to being not part serviceable because it was installed incorrectly? Totally confused I asked to speak with a supervisor. She transferred the call to a supervisor named "Tai", who basically said nothing but confirmed what Chelsea stated. Needless, to say I will not be using their service to resolve this issue as it stands. Hopefully, someone from Total Protect will respond to this complaint and a resolution will be met. I kinda got the feeling they wanted me to cancel my contract with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've had TotalProtect Home Warranty for years and they have worked out good. We've had several appliances that needed repairs like the ice maker and the freezer, the vent above the stove and garbage disposal. We have a quick, easy and excellent service while submitting the claim and their rep was courteous and able to answer. So far, everything has been repaired or replaced and I'm very satisfied with TotalProtect Home Warranty.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been with TotalProtect for years. I'm getting up in age and I can't do the things I used to do. The cost of repairs today and getting repairman are astronomical. So with a big house and a lot of appliances, it seemed reasonable that we get a home warranty. I'm satisfied with the service I've received. I've submitted claims several times over the years. Usually, I place a phone call, I get a quick connect and a reference to whatever it is I need, and within the first couple of hours everything is established as far as when things will be repaired or scheduled.

I have had some difficult repairs in the past, one with the freezer malfunctioning. TotalProtect sent a repair guy out, put a fix on it, and within 30 days, it didn't work. They sent another guy out and this happened four or five times and the fix would last only about a month. I told TotalProtect to not send the repair person to my house anymore. Several people came out and they didn't seem to have the wherewithal and a knowledge base to put a complete fix. It's annoying because it's a freezer and you've got food in there. So, they sent me someone else.

The fellow came out and before I could tell him what was done, he said he already knows and named the company. He said most of his repairs are repairing what the other contractor does. He fixed the freezer. It's been a couple of years now and it never happened again. If TotalProtect doesn't have a good repairman, I could wind up with a new refrigerator when it was a simple fix. It's to my benefit to a certain degree, but to TotalProtect, even with the amount of money I put into this all in all, it's still their loss.

Resolution In Progress

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Jim - It sounds like our coverage did not meet your expectations. Please know that we adhere to the warranty Agreement when determining covered and non-covered failures for your AC unit. While we understand that this experience does not match the type of service we aim to provide, we appreciate you taking the time the share your experience. Sincerely - John

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I originally chose Total Protect because of the reviews. I should have listed to some of them about how they will do anything not to repair or replace what has failed. I had a recent new plan with them where it include my heat pump. Roughly 6 weeks later a notice the air coming out of my vents was no longer warm. Everything was in good working condition prior to signing up. When signing up, I asked when the inspection would take place. They told me it was not necessary as long as everything was in good working condition. I placed a claim with them and stated this plumbing, AC and heating company would be contacting me. They never did and I had to call this company. I will not mention this company's name. This ac/heating company shows up in an unmarked, no company named van. My first hint of a problem. The technician inspects my unit and stated I have a couple of leaks. Something to mention. He asked my what I thought the problem was when he showed up. If I was a professional AC/heating guy, I wouldn't have to hire anyone. Hint # 2. He came into my house and stated there should be no reason why this should not be approved by Total Protect. The next day I called Total Protect and they stated it was declined because of wear and tear and pictures showing rust and corrosion. I said that was really strange because this was a newer unit and I couldn't see any rust. I said I wanted to see the pictures and they said they didn't have them yet. Then the CSR stated they haven't received the pictures yet. Very strange! When I contacted the service company, the same technician was extremely rude and said he didn't have any pictures and basically hang up on me. I called Total Protect back and spoke to a supervisor. She kept on referring to something about how the link couldn't have happened in 10 days and this was caused by wear and tear. I didn't know a supervisor, wherever she was out, could determine when the leak occurred. Home warranty plans are meant to protect your property. You purchase plans for protection down the road. Everything has wear and tear and to tell someone it's not covered by wear and tear is a joke. I'm out approximately $268 for a broken heat pump and still not repaired. Yes, opt out of the plan and of course they charged me for that. You can hire this company if you like, but do you due diligence first.

Think about this company. We have paid this company for over ten years and had 2 claims.
We emailed them " do you cover refrigerator seals" their representative called and said yes and dispatched a third party company which was sears appliance to show up and inform us they knew seals were not covered, called them to verify and merely collected the $75 trip charge and drove off. The next day I called them and asked "why would you dispatch a technician to my home knowing the part was not covered?, doesn't that sound like fraudulent behavior to you?" The response was merely " It is in your contract that you signed initially." many reviews on better business and consumer affairs......

all say "scam"

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had Choice and a friend of mine told me about TotalProtect. Choice is not worth the paper it's written on. I paid them four years upfront and when I was having a problem with the unit and I called them, "Oh, we don't cover that." Why did I pay these people all this money upfront? So, I said I'm going with TotalProtect. Choice said I couldn't get my money back and I need somebody that's gonna service me. I'm disabled and 62 years old. I had to pay $1,425 for the unit that was out of my pocket. That was tough but I had to do it. It was really easy signing up with TotalProtect and so is the claim process. The person that came here and replaced my unit did an excellent job. I suggest everybody to get TotalProtect. It's an excellent company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My bank suggested that I signup with TotalProtect. We have lived in our home for about three years at the time and it seemed like a good idea. We're raising kids and it seemed affordable to be able to handle repairs. We've been with them for many years now and we love them. It's super easy to submit a claim by phone but I've also used the option to do it online. They usually call the same day and they tell me the name and phone number of who is going to be over. Then, somebody comes over. It's a simple process.

We had a new water heater put in in November and the tech who came out was wonderful and courteous. He's tried to come twice and called 30 minutes before he came each time to let us know that he'd be there within that time frame. His work's excellent and everything's been great. Their customer service is also the best. I've always paid $60 and my deductible was recently raised. They sent us a letter six months in advance to let us know that it's time for the cost of increases and we've expected them to change that a long time ago. But their rates are good, and I've recommended them. I put my mother-in-law and father on them. Everybody loves them and I have not heard of any issues with them whatsoever.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've had TotalProtect for years. They work with the U.S. Bank where we have our mortgage through. It has been easy to submit a claim and the claims representatives and the technicians have been very good. I would recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was happy with my experience with TotalProtect Home Warranty. They did what they're supposed to do so I don't have any complaints. The gentleman came in and fixed the heat. He knew what he was doing and didn't take him long to get right to what he needed to get done. He either had the part or it was something that he could do. It was during the cold season and we had no heat so it was a big turnaround for us. It was a whole lot better because the ball got dropped a couple of times previously, but this time it was fine. We didn't have to do a lot of back and forth. The heat went out once before during the same time and they had to order a part. Being cold and waiting on a part and using space heaters are not very pleasant things.

But though we have had some mishaps, I would recommend TotalProtect to most people because I haven't had any problems that they haven't been able to fix and take care of. Almost every home needs a home warranty as it comes in really handy. With quite a bit of money, repairs can become a large pocket all at one time.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had been using Sears for a long time on products that we bought from them and we decided to make a change. We went with TotalProtect Home Warranty and we haven't had a problem when we submitted our claims. It's been easy. The claims representatives handled themselves very professionally and all of my interactions with the technicians had been reasonably good. In fact, the last people who came out to fix our heating and air-conditioning units did an excellent job. TotalProtect is very good at listening to my issues and they do everything they can to resolve if there's a pending one. I've already recommended them to other people. TotalProtect takes it all the way.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I got a home warranty so if something gets broken, I don't have to worry about scrounging the fee and how I'm gonna get it repaired. When one goes out on retirement, sometimes they don't have the funds there. And being single, at least I have an insurance and it'll be less stress for me because all I have to do is pay the $100 deductible and TotalProtect will work from there as long as it's covered under their guidelines.

I knew of other home warranty providers, but I liked the TotalProtect sales rep. She explained the different policies that they had so I liked her customer service when she reached out to me. But I have had both good and bad scenarios with TotalProtect. The good scenario was when my water boiler and my heat went out. The salesperson who was on the other end tried to do their best to get somebody out here to assist me but unfortunately they had to come the next day.

What I don't like is the package that I have. There's something better out there that they were telling me. It's a little bit more money because to replace my water boiler, I had to give out the additional $100 for them coming out and about $600 something dollars to cover the upgrade. If I had known that they have another package out, I would have enrolled in that package where the only thing I would have been responsible for was just the $100. And this happened all around Christmas so I continued to pay because I needed my heat. But I'm satisfied with what was brought in to replace my unit. And the claims reps who I dealt with were very helpful and understanding. The technicians have also been excellent. I had no problem with them. They were eager to explain stuff that I wasn't aware of and gave me a lot of good pointers for me to look out for. I'm very satisfied. I have already recommended TotalProtect to folks and forwarded them the information for them to reach out to talk to someone from TotalProtect and get insured as well.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Everything in my house was pretty new and I don't have a lot of money. In an event something breaks down, why should I go and freak out when I can have a home protection warranty that's going to help me out and so I'm not gonna have to go through huge expenses that I can't afford. My daughter-in-law and I did some research and TotalProtect was the most reliable and had the best statistics. My insurance agent recommended them as well so we chose them.

I've never had any problem at all with submitting a claim and even the last time when they have chosen somebody different, they've allowed me the privilege of having the previous person to come out the last time. That continuity of care really made a big difference for me. The claims rep has always been very courteous, prompt, always kind, and never made me feel like I had to wait or that I wasn't gonna get anywhere. I've had techs from different companies and they seem knowledgeable. I've never had anybody who made me wonder whether the person knows what they're doing or if they're legal.

TotalProtect is a company of quality, care, and gets the job done for a reasonable price. I appreciate all they do. The other thing that I really like about them is that I can make a monthly payment or I can pay it all at once. I like the fact that it's automatic and I don't have to be concerned that I'll let it lapse or anything like that. It was something that TotalProtect did in their billing department to help me because I'm on a limited income. It was really great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Acquiring a home warranty was a good deal and with TotalProtect, I've never had any problem when submitting a claim. I just call them, they tell me who to call, and it’s done. I always had a good experience with the people they send and I'm happy with the work that they do. I am very satisfied with TotalProtect.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm 100% satisfied with TotalProtect Home Warranty. I have electronics at home and I don't know when they can go bad or where to have them fixed. I'm retired right now and having an insurance for my appliances is the most logical thing to do. In case I have an issue, I can call it in and have someone come work on it without me having to bring out a huge amount of cash that I may not have at that time. So I looked up online and the reviews from other people on different forums for TotalProtect were so good. They're affordable and have good ratings so I went for them.

I had to use the service twice already and submitting a claim is very easy as I make a phone call then describe what the issue is. My interactions with the claims rep are very simple and as direct as possible. Usually, a technician is available either the same day or the next day. I get a claim number, told what the deductible is, and how much it's going to be. I make sure I have the cash ready because the techs don't always have change or I give them a check. They're very friendly, professional, fast, and clean. I can tell they know what they're doing. Every time I had an issue, the tech comes, leaves, and never had to come back. Total Protect is very helpful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The quality of the vendors that TotalProtect sends is excellent. The vendors are friendly, well-trained, polite, decently dressed people with good attitude and they seem to know what they're doing. I had another home warranty plan, Colonial Home Warranty plan and they were a scam. They said they couldn't fix my stove and they tried on and on and when I switched over to TotalProtect, they sent somebody out and he fixed it. And the same stove broke down again recently and the guy came out and there were just some screws tightening.

Over a few years, I've had a refrigerator repair, whole house air-conditioning repairs, garbage disposal, and gas stove repairs and my experiences have all been positive. They have excellent service and courteous contact persons. Everybody's very friendly and cooperative, as well. A couple of times I called after hours and they took it and then the vendors would call me the next morning to set up the appointment. Other times it was the same day.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The previous house owners had TotalProtect and suggested that I use it. It's great submitting a claim with them and I do it on the phone. It's always been good with the claims reps too. The technicians were all wonderful as well. It’d be great though if there’s any updated booklet or information that TotalProtect could send me. I've gotten an update from them once since they changed their name.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We own a home and things break down. I thought it was a good idea to get some extra protection and my son-in-law gave me TotalProtect's name. It has paid off. It's easy to submit a claim, although it's a slow process and can't be helped because they have to get the contractor, give me the number, and then I have to call the contractor to set up an appointment so sometimes it takes a couple of days. Whereas if I call the repairman today by myself, he would probably be here today. But it's worthy to me because of the protection.

The people TotalProtect sent over here were okay. I really like the heat and air guy. He was nice, very through and explained to my husband what was going on. The first technician, however, was rude because he was complaining that he didn't know if it was going to be worth his time to come since we live way out in the country and he lives in another town, but he did come and the problem was fixed. TotalProtect is reliable and lives up to what they tell us they are going to do. I am satisfied and have recommended them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm a widow and with only my income, I needed some sort of backup just in case so I got a home warranty. The first time I called in a claim with TotalProtect regarding my furnace, it was the easiest phone call I ever had to make. The rep was very helpful and she told me the coverage that I had. She also told me not to worry about it and that they would find a person in my area, and let them know after she gave me the information. She gave me the name of the company to call and I called them. They called back within a few hours and a technician was out the next day.

The technician was very nice and I warned him that it was an old furnace but he said it was not a problem. He went down, looked at all over and was in and out in less than two hours. It was excellent work. He told me everything that he did, the condition of my furnace and informed me that I needed to have maintenance every year which I have never done. Now I'm hooked with him to do my maintenance on my air conditioner and my furnace every year. He'll be the guy I'll call because he was recommended by TotalProtect. TotalProtect really reassured me that I'm in good hands with what I've got now and that if something happens, they will be there for me. That's very important. When you're on your own taking care of a home, it's not easy. But knowing that I have TotalProtect, I'm very confident and safe if something happens. I would definitely recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I one of those people who prefer that people show me what they can do rather than they tell me about it. As anything can go wrong, I got TotalProtect. I have to have a plumber and an electrician, and it's going to cost me more than what I'm paying them in premium. With TotalProtect all I have to pay is the $75 service fee and they handle the rest. I had technicians come out twice, and I got good results.

When my dryer of over 15 years that was older than dirt went out, it could not be fixed and had to be replaced which cost more than I paid in annual premium. My premium is $480 a year, but the brand new GE dryer in my laundry room right now is worth over $500. It's still working too. The service tech that came out to look at my old dryer came from Sears service department. He actually got the dryer working again that you could smell the electrical smell, like wires are burning, which was now a safety issue. He was in the laundry room, talking to his people and while he was on the phone TotalProtect called and talked to me at the same time. They were very hands-on on that first experience. When my oven element went out, they sent a technician from Fixx My Appliance out of Conyers, Georgia. They fixed it for me before Thanksgiving and it is working again.

Before the end of next week, I will be renewing my policy with TotalProtect. I have to renew before the 26th. It was paid through my mortgage, but I refinanced my mortgage so that is no longer taking place. I've been satisfied with TotalProtect's services so far. It covers all my major appliances, my electrical, and my plumbing. I have recommended them to my daughter for her home.

I have been with Total Protect for about 10 years, it is time to change, it take about 2 month to have something fix. They now charge $100 deductible and they are very inconsistent, my latest problem was with my heating system, I have 2 thermostat, I turn the main thermostat on and the heating system stop working, I went to the boiler room and just a light tap on my duck wook then the system start to work again, but then stop again, I call Total Protect, the technician came on Dec 2, 2016 took a visual check and say the system is old and I need to replace it at a cost of $5500, the maximum Total Protect was going to pay was $1485, so it will cost me $4,015.00

I then when to my 2nd thermostat and turn it on, now, the system work perfectly, I call Total Protect and let them know what I found out and ask if I can have the technician back for him to check what is going, they refuse and said, because they said I need a new system, they will not sent the technician out again, I said for a second opinion, they said I would have to open a new case and paid the $100 deductible again, I told them, it is like your car have a flat tire, and when you go to repair it, they said you need a new car, this is crazy! Today is Jan 9, 2017 I still have the problem and they refuse to send someone to diagnose the real problem, to me it look like a simple short somewhere. I'm done with them and will change company in the end of the month.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My home was gonna be 30 years old so that's why I got a home warranty and TotalProtect was offered through CitiMortgage, my mortgage company at that time. They built directly through my mortgage so I just added 37 bucks to the mortgage. It was really simple and I didn't have to write another check though now I pay it via automatic withdraw. Submitting a claim is really easy. It's understanding what my part of the billing is when things start being repaired is what the questions always are.

I just got my HVAC downstairs, my air conditioner side replaced. We went ahead and bought the heater side and didn’t wanna have a 30-year-old unit on top of a brand new unit in the house. And we had the compressor outside replaced. TotalProtect said I had to have 50 feet of copper line. I told the tech that they told me it's 10 feet from outside to where the thing’s in the garage, asked why I needed 50 feet and said that that's 695 bucks. The guy told me my line is perfectly good, that they pressure tested it and that he's not gonna replace it, so I won't pay him for that.

It was like I'm having a deal with the repairman. I knew exactly what that repairman's doing and thought was it necessary because TotalProtect said these things are necessary so I asked him if all that was and he said that it was not necessary. So I said that if I had not pointed that out, he would've collected that money. He said he wouldn't but some would and that he won't charge me for what he won't do. It's not a bad thing but was something I didn't expect on the HVAC system.

I've also complained when we got a new washer. TotalProtect sent me to a website that they recommended for me to look and see on there which one I wanted and decided I wanted a Whirlpool. I got on that website, my wife and I looked at one of those big capacity Whirlpools in place. We selected one and it was 614 bucks on the website. Someone then from TotalProtect called and asked if we selected one. I said I did and told her the model number. She then said that it is $944. I then asked how come they sent me to a site that said 614 bucks and then they're gonna charge me a thousand dollars. Also, they're only gonna give me 500 for the replacement of mine and I'm gonna pay the difference. She told me it's because that's the way they do things and I told her to give me the check they're gonna give me and I'll handle it from there.

She said that that's not normally how they do it. And I said that that’s why they're doing it this time and if they got a problem with it to escalate it right to their VP right then. She then said that they'll do it that way. I said that I was not trying to be hard-nosed but they offered me something I was not taking. They also said it was $150 to install. I told them it was here in Tulsa and they're not even 20 miles from me and they're not even five miles from my house from where they said it was at the appliance store. I said no and that I'll get it for gas money.

So my youngest son and I got to spend some time going up North Tulsa. I bought the thing directly from Whirlpool for 614 bucks. And the warehouse guy loaded the washer on with a forklift on the trailer and we strapped it down and pulled it off. It made me happy and didn’t cost me anything. The warehouse even offered me warranty on the thing but I didn’t need it because I got TotalProtect. That was really screwy and strange with the washer.

A couple of the technicians they sent looked shady and dirty but did good work. But some of the repairmen are one-stop shop, though. TotalProtect may need to grow their business and I'm not saying the technicians are bad but I ask myself if these guys are certified or checked out. Because this last guy that installed my HVAC system didn’t do it right. I couldn’t get the cover back on the box that held my filters because he installed it whomperjawed. So when I took the cover off, it sprang. And it's supposed to be a square but now, it's leaning to the left. Then when I had my feet in the utility closet where the unit is, I felt strong air coming out from around the back of the machine. It was really cold and I thought that's my cold air and asked myself why it was going in the garage. I had to call the technician back out. I had to threaten him with a lawsuit and had to call TotalProtect to get to him because he wouldn't answer my phone calls.

TotalProtect is way competitively priced because we were with American Home Shield before which was double the price for what we have with TotalProtect. AHS was 65 bucks a month and we're paying TotalProtect $37.95 now. I'm happy with TotalProtect but one has got to be a wise consumer and it's up to the company to put a valuable transaction in front of me that I value and am willing to pay money.

TotalProtect needs to clarify the offer in their back office after the claim and they're getting ready to dispense money like with our water heater. We got it replaced in 2015 and had to pay for all the new permits but nobody told me that. They just said I owe 400, 300 bucks. So I asked what it was for then finally I got to the right person who said that it's for permits as they had to re-permit the thing. It's okay that they put that on me but to get to the point of knowledge is like pulling teeth. Other than that, I like the service. We've used it a number of times and it's worked out. It's worth having.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I call TotalProtect to submit a claim and usually the provider calls me. But for the most recent claim, I called TotalProtect and then they told me whom to call. Their techs who came did fine and they had good quality of work. There was a plumber named Mark who was great. He did the work and answered a bunch of questions. TotalProtect have been very good to me.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have TotalProtect for so many years. I usually submit my claim over the phone and it normally works very well. However, the last time was kind of a big comedy. The rep gave me a phone number to call and it was to a plumbing place. I told her it's a stove oven issue and she said that's who I should call so I did thinking they've gotten into some other line of business in addition to plumbing and heating. But they haven't so I had to call back and get a different number. It ended up being Sears I should have been calling. But overall, I've had excellent customer service from the TotalProtect people, that's why I keep them. They're efficient and professional.

And the people that they do business with that actually come out and make the repairs have been phenomenally wonderful and very personable. I've had people work on the washer, dryer and furnace and they were awesome and very good. Most of the time it's been Sears except for the furnace, but the ones who came were very careful about taking off their shoes, picking up their equipment and cleaning up after themselves. But for this last time, the guy that did the oven left a frigging mess.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Submitting a claim with TotalProtect has been great. I either go online or call and they give me the number of the vendor. Then they usually call me or I call them and they make an appointment. They are usually here very timely and do their job. My experience has always been very satisfactory. As a matter of fact, one time I had an issue with my microwave and they couldn't do anything about it so they replaced the whole thing and that was great. I did recommend TotalProtect to a friend and have bought the warranty for my mother.

I have worked with Total Protect for over 2 years now. When I first signed up they told be everything was covered. Once I had a claim they told me only one AC was covered, not both. I came to find out that is the same for every major appliance. No one ever said you needed to customize. Not entirely their fault. I should have read the plan closer.

The real problem comes with all the disclaimers about what is actually covered on each repair. I found out even though things are covered, they may not be completely covered. So here is where things get really bad. I called to update my plan and once I finally got someone on the phone, they changed the plan and continued to charge me for the new and old plan. I stayed on hold for hours and days trying to get this corrected. All was good until I sold a home and tried to cancel the policy. Again, on hold for over 1 hour to cancel. Said it was done and even got a confirm number. Today I saw a charge on my credit card again for the cancelled policy. Again, sat on hold for over 1 hour to be told nothing was done and that I needed to be transfered. I had to sit on hold all over again. Every time I asked for a manager, they ALWAYS refused. It seems they play the same game and just refuse to stop charging you. At this point I am now hoping they cancelled both policies. To be safe I am telling my credit card to refuse all charges from them.

Very inconsistent and highly unaccountable. Most problems are outside the scope of coverage so don't bother using their service. We had their premium plan and it barely covers anything. I currently have a broken heater that a technician looked at 10 days ago and 'ordered parts for'. We haven't heard from him since despite numerous efforts to reach him. To top it all, Total Protect just informed us that the failure wasn't covered after we called Total Protect ourselves.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Profile