Get a Quote

3. Home Warranties

4.0/5 (921 ratings)
Get a Quote

About Cinch Home Services

Cinch Home Services, who offers a variety of products including the TotalProtect Home Warranty, is a home warranty provider with more than 40 years of experience. Cinch offers coverage for appliances, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical and more. Costs start at less than $1 a day. Cinch has a six-month guarantee on covered repairs. Plus, most plans offer new appliance discounts, credit toward air conditioner or refrigerator filters and a free leak sensor.

Pros

• Plans starting at less than $1 a day
    • Great coverage
    • Long workmanship guarantee

Cons

• Higher service fee

Bottom Line

Cinch Home Services offers three home warranty plans at affordable monthly rates. Although its service fees are a bit higher, the company has an excellent workmanship guarantee.

Top Cinch Home Services Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I made a claim to Cinch for a plumbing issue. They came out quickly and got it taken care of. I had a toilet leak and a shower leak, and they fixed both of them. The tech was grea...

Verified

Submitting claims to Cinch has been really easy. I just go to their site and type in what my problem is. When their techs come out, they ask what the problem is and after I tell t...

Cinch services

Cinch offers three plans — the Appliances Plan, the Built-in Systems Plan and the Complete Home Plan. Each plan comes with standard benefits.

• 180-day workmanship guarantee: If there’s a problem with an appliance or system in the first 180 days after a covered repair, Cinch will fix it again at no additional charge.
    • Protection for preexisting conditions: You won’t have to pay for repairs just because of a preexisting home condition you didn’t know about.
    • Rust and corrosion coverage: Your service request won’t be denied because of rust.
    • New appliance discounts: Cinch can help you save money when purchasing new appliances.
    • Additional home management tools: Plans include $25 toward A/C or refrigerator filters and a free sensor to detect water leaks.

Cinch coverage

Cinch has three levels of coverage. For the best value and highest level of coverage, we recommend the Complete Home Plan. The Cinch Appliances Plan is the most affordable option, and the Built-in Systems Plan offers a moderate level of coverage.

To file a claim with Cinch, you can call the customer service line or file a request through your online account.

Cinch Appliances Plan
    Cinch’s most affordable plan has coverage for the following items:
    • Clothes dryers
    • Clothes washers
    • Cooktops
    • Dishwashers
    • Food centers (built-in)
    • Free-standing ice makers
    • Microwaves (built-in)
    • Ranges
    • Range exhaust hoods
    • Refrigerators
    • Trash compactors (built-in)
    • Wall ovens
    • Smoke detectors
    • Sump pump
    • Toilets
    • Water heater
    • Whirlpool/jetted tub (built-in)
    Cinch Complete Home Plan
    The Cinch Complete Home Plan covers everything in both the Appliances and Built-in Systems Plan to give you the most comprehensive protection. The plan includes Cinch's Homeowners Insurance Deductible Reimbursement, which reimburses a customer up to $500 when they have to pay a deductible in a covered homeowners insurance claim. This can be used on one claim per year.

Cinch cost

We found that the most comprehensive Cinch plan with the highest deductible in Houston, Texas, costs $49.99 a month. Cinch’s plan costs vary based on where you live and the deductible you choose. Cinch has three deductible, or service call fee, levels: $100, $125 or $150. Expect a higher monthly cost if you choose a lower deductible.

PlanService call feeAverage monthly cost
    Appliances$150$34.99/mo
    Built-in Systems$150$39.99/mo
    Complete Home$150$49.99/mo
    Prices quoted for Houston, TX. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing for your location.

Cinch FAQ

How can I manage my Cinch plan?
    You can manage your Cinch plan from your Cinch account online, which lets you download your contract, open a service request and update your information.
    Does Cinch have a workmanship guarantee?
    Yes, if a problem resurfaces within 180 days after the covered repair, Cinch makes a new repair at no cost to you.
    Are there limits on repairs?
    Yes, in some cases there are limits to the amount Cinch will pay to repair specific items.
    Is Cinch a new home warranty company?
    No. Cinch Home Services was previously known as Cross Country Home Services and sold warranties under the TotalProtect brand. The company recently changed its name to highlight its commitment to making owning a home easier.
    Does Cinch offer any other coverage?
    Cinch offers multiple add-on options, including coverage for:
    • Pool: This covers multiple pool parts, including above-ground accessible plumbing lines leading to and from the unit, filters, air pumps and the blower motor. Pool heaters are covered for up to $1,000 per year.
    • Spa: Spa coverage also covers the same parts as pool coverage — above-ground accessible plumbing lines leading to and from the unit, air pumps, blower motor, filters and more.
    • Pool with spa: This plan combines pool and spa coverage for homeowners who own both.
    • Septic tank/plumbing: Septic tank coverage includes the sewage ejector pump, tank pumping and septic tank. Cap limits apply.
    • Well pump: This add-on covers the above ground well pump, booster pump and more.
    • Premier Upgrade Package: The Premier Upgrade Packagae is only available for customers who chooose Complete Home coverage. The add-on helps cover costs not normally covered under a home protection plan, including permits and code upgrades, for up to $1,000 a claim. Cap limits apply. For Florida residents, the package provides coverage in accordance with Florida Statute §634.346.

Do we recommend Cinch?

We highly recommend the coverage Cinch offers. Its three plans, in particular the Complete Home Plan, offer great coverage at affordable rates. The 180-workmanship guarantee is two to three times as long as the guarantee provided by its competitors. We also like that it has several ways to open a service request.

Cinch Home Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cinch Home Services?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I've been a member of Pentagon Federal Credit Union for 45 years. They said, “We've got a program that all of our members might be interested in.” This has been 10 plus years ago. We had it at our other house in Myrtle Beach and it was the same group. But the contract information changed when we came here as far as who we called. But it was under TotalProtect all through the relationship with Pentagon Federal Credit Union.

We've had several claims and we've had some that were highly successful. Then COVID hit, and we had some where we struggled a bit on some parts and things. We had a refrigerator and a dishwasher. They were General Electric Profile. Those parts came from China. It took a while to get the parts in. Of the three things that I had go out, we were able to get parts for one, and then TotalProtect bought out the other two items. And then, we were able to go and purchase a different dishwasher off the floor, locally. So, it worked out fine. It took a while to get to that point because naturally, we all wanted to try to get the parts in. We were trying to get it fixed, and we wanted it fixed soon. They wanted to fix it because of the cost. But when we got to a point where it wasn't meeting our needs, they were very adaptive to come up with a creative solution that allowed us to get what we needed.

We've had some good contractors and some bad ones. We've had one that was fabulous. They might even have been Sears. TotalProtect uses different contractors. It's funny because they would come up and the truck wouldn't say TotalProtect. So, I try to figure out who they are. And most of the folks came, and they were very responsive.

I had one person come, didn't look at it, walked away, and didn't fix anything. It took me another three weeks to get somebody. I had to call back through TotalProtect’s number to get another group of someone to get here. And it ended up we got the first guy that had come out on it, who had gotten a part. And it took a while to get the part. But when he put the part on, it didn't fix the problem. But getting back to get him, we had to go through that bad guy who came and just walked away. So, it has been a mixed bag. But for the most part, I would say good. We came to solutions. They might not have been as quick as we wanted, but we were dealing with a pandemic, as they were. I can understand that. We have to adapt everything in our life. Also, for the most part, the people were very focused. If I had to call back, the people who were trying to then get to a solution were wonderful. Do it.

Cinch Home Services response

Gary, We listen and understand what our customers need, and appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we and our service technicians are doing. We hope to have many more years of partnership! - Austin

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

It was easy as pie to submit the claim online. Cinch gave me an individual that came out to work on the fridge. The guy came out, worked on it. He came out four different times, wasted Cinch's money and time, replaced almost everything in the refrigerator freezer, a 20-year-old freezer, but it still didn't work. I lost almost $700 worth of food, breast milk, and days and days without a fridge. I even had to go out and buy something out of my pocket, in my house, and put it, before Cinch finally decided to replace it. It didn't matter whether you replace it or get someone to fix it. But it was a three-week time frame.

Cinch assigned a client advocate. Brittany was very good and was a nice person. She kept sending somebody out. But in the end, after the fourth time, she said no. Because I told her, "I can't waste any more money or I'm going to file a small claims in court. 'Cause this is crazy." She said, "Well, all I could do is give you the $25." She gave me back the co-pay that I paid for them to come out and do the service. But I have money. I could have bought a fridge but I didn't want that. If I bought it and it ended up being fixed, then I would have just been out of pocket. But at what point do you say no? I wouldn't even let a vendor tell me, "Hey, I could fix something," time after time. And every time he came out here, it was a different story. The same problem over and over again.

The first time, I lost about 600 because everything in the freezer and refrigerator got lost. It was packed full of food, breakfast, everything got wasted. Then they fixed it. Three days later, same thing. When I replenished all the food, guess what? Same thing again. I went out and bought another $300 worth of food. So in the end, I spent more money than what they gave me to replace the fridge. I'm not asking anybody for anything. But I'll be darned if I'mma keep throwing good money out the bath because someone don't want to make a decision. I thought it was odd. I didn't know that was the protocol.

Overall, they Cinch was fine. Their personnel was fine. It's the vendor that they associated with. But Cinch needs to understand at what point does someone at a higher level look at the process and say, "Okay, yeah, that process is broken." But I appreciate it and I'll keep the service as long as I can. I have even referred my daughter. She now has it and a couple of my friends. Even from time to time again, even from TotalProtect, no problem whatsoever. But this last incident was too much. I have never ever lost any money. It's COVID. It's a bit stressful. You can't replace breast milk. We could have bought some online, but to me that sounds disgusting. It was enough breast milk for a minute. We lost it all. But things happen.

I've had TotalProtect umpteen years. And when Cinch took over, I'm fine. But I don't know if something has changed within the company where they were making more rules or say, "Hey, we're not just gonna arbitrarily replace something." At some point, you gotta make a decision enough is enough, even if a customer loses that kind of money as well. And I have receipts to prove it. We gotta look at it from a holistic standpoint. But other than that, I'm satisfied with Cinch, because overall, they took care of it. I had to go out and buy. I couldn't wait another day. I just went on and bought it. I say, "Hey, if I had to have to sell this one, if they fixed it again and it started working, it is what it is.” But they gave me the replacement value for that fridge.

Cinch Home Services response

Brenda - We appreciate your dedication to our company, and for taking the time to provide this feedback. We hope to be able to deliver the same great service you’ve come to expect from us for many more years! Sincerely, Dena

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

My air conditioner fan was acting up. We got a service provider out here through Cinch. I had to call him twice to even come. He was supposed to show up one morning and he didn't show up. So I called him and asked him where he was at. He said he was still in Decatur. I said, “Well, you’re supposed to be here at 9 o'clock.” He said he'd be here as soon as he got done with his job. I was kinda pissed because he did another job in Decatur before he came out here. Other than that, it’s been pretty good.

I got a problem again right now though. I've been aiming to call Cinch, but I just haven't had a chance. This is the same problem I’ve been having, though. They put in a new circulation unit underneath the house, and evidently, they didn't get the drainage right on it. It’s holding water inside the unit. And it shortened out a board in there that controls the fan. That was what Southern Services told me the first time. They were the one that put in the unit too. The unit needs a p-trap. It had one on it but they took it off when they put the new unit in.

The guy who come out here and serviced it wasn't the one who put it in, but he said, “Well, I don't know what happened. If I have one in the truck, I’d put it on.” I went and bought one and put it on the end of it out there. In the meantime, it’s doing the same thing. The fan is supposed to cut off, and it won't do it. It stays on all the time. I told Cinch that I want them to send the same people back out here that installed it because it's probably been going on ever since they installed it. So, they did. I told their guy about it. He put another board in, drilled another hole in it so it could drain out under my house, which I didn't appreciate at all, instead of fixing the drain like it's supposed to be, and asked me to put a p-trap on it, and I did.

The only problem I had with the whole ordeal is the unit is about 30 years old now. And they spent money after money on it when they should have just replaced the damn thing to start with. It could have been a lot cheaper for them, but they ended up spending more money trying to fix the damn thing. They ended up having to replace it because it couldn’t be fixed anymore.

They sent one guy over here one time who tore my outside unit apart, and I asked him why. He said it needed to be cleaned. I told him it didn't need to be cleaned since I clean it every year. He tore it apart and said, “My, that's the cleanest one I ever seen.” He put it back together and it rattled and I know it shouldn't. He didn't put the screws back in it. So, I went and bought screws to put back in it. I can do a lot of my own maintenance, but I've been paying for this for a long time, so they oughta replace it. Another thing was when I first took this out, it also covered appliances, but the last time I mentioned about a problem I was having with the dishwasher, they said they wouldn't cover appliances. I can’t believe it covers the garage door, but it doesn’t cover my appliances. That's kinda crazy to me. Other than those, I've been happy with Cinch so far.

Cinch Home Services response

Wendell - Thank you for taking the time to share your overall claim experience! It sounds like overall we have met your expectations. - Austin

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Our first claim was for our water heater. The water was too hot and we couldn't turn it down. The contractor came out and they said that our water heater was so old and it had to be replaced. He told it was $100 that day and if they do the replacement, he had to get a clearance to how much money he can spend to purchase a new water heater. He also told me that the new ones weren't exactly the same as our old water heater so he gotta do some piping.

By the time he got done, it was gonna be another $175. I thought everything was covered. But all of a sudden, they gotta make a modification and it kept going up. To make a long story short, I found out that I could call Sears and they would tell me how much myself. Although the tech did call me back with an estimate and what he was allowed. I called back Sears and they said they would get back to me. They did in a timely fashion and I found out I could buy a hot water heater and put it in myself, so I did.

I had a contractor come out in the spring to check out the air conditioning and also in the winter to chek the heating system. They had a time period in there where you could call. The guy that came out was here for about 15 minutes and I've had it checked other times before had the insurance and they spent a lot of time. They did a lot of other things, but I felt he knew what he was doing and he was pleasant. He didn't give me a hard time. They said they would do it and it was done and I had no charge.

When the valve was leaking in the furnace, the service guy came out to check it and he said he didn't do that and I gotta make a service call. But I gave him the $100 co-pay. He told me that if I looked at the contract, they work on just the boiler and they don't work on the piping. I was a little taken aback by that. Every time I call, I pay them $100 and if this isn’t covered, I gotta pay more. There was also a time when I called and the contractor was supposed to come out to do a check for the air conditioning. So I stayed home all day and I got text messages that they would be here in the morning. But nobody came all day and I never got a message. I called the next day and they said the tech had an emergency. So that wasn't such a good experience.

I wanted to cancel the policy because the little things irritated me. I called Sears and the rep said I couldn't cancel it out and that I have to wait till our anniversary day and it would cost me $800. But that was not what the guy told me. When I originally got the policy, the person said that I can cancel any time I want. They told me to look on a certain page of the policy and I read that page and it’s not that clear. I tried to read it when I got the information. I know I have 30 days I could have canceled. Now I have to keep it until April 7th of 2021. But overall, it would make a very good plan. You call them up and they were very good about coming out.

Cinch Home Services response

Leo – Our goal is to help alleviate financial cost that come along with major home repairs, and we understand how stressful managing those can be. The out of pocket costs associated are non-covered charges that are not covered when a replacement is needed. We hope you reconsider and continue being one of our valued members. - Austin

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I have a home warranty with TotalProtection and it has been great. For the most part, they do a good job of determining whether or not a piece of equipment can be repaired and what its life expectancy looks like or whether it needs to be replaced. That’s all that anybody can ask. I pay a monthly fee and my deductible is 125. It has gone up over the years. They replaced a garbage disposal unit and put in a new one. Then, they repaired my air conditioning units a couple of times. I've got a pretty big house and I've got all three of the air conditioning units and my TVs and all that stuff are in on the warranty.

I have peace of mind and the only time I strayed away from it and not use it as much as I probably could have was when I got a plumbing problem. I didn't have time to wait to see if that was covered or not. If I need to get that done quickly, then I just call the people that I've used in the past to do plumbing and we go from there. Generally speaking, they were not replacing pipes. They were just unclogging. I never even checked to see if that’s covered. It probably is, but I don't worry about that sort of stuff.

One time, when the contractor was coming out to do the air conditioning units, they called more than one service company. The rep from the first company said that he was gonna come and he was gonna do it. I asked if he could check the other units while he was here although it may be an additional charge. Because it doesn't make sense for somebody to come out and look at one thing. They turned around and they set somebody else to do that. But I said that we would just use the same person who was going to repair the unit and have them do the inspection. That can be a little bit contentious but I’m just saying that if one is coming out, then just go ahead and do that. That kind of thing gets to be a little bit problematic but I got good service each time.

The last guy who came out and worked on my air conditioner a month and a half ago was Vietnamese. He brought his son with him. They did the work and he talked to us a little bit. And he was gone. As long as it works, I’m good. I've recommended TotalProtect to people. My business partner’s house is well over a million dollars. He built a custom home and I've told him multiple times that he needs to get this on his house even though it was brand new. Mine was brand new when I bought it in ’06 and this is now 2020, and things go bad. You just don’t know. To get a hot water heater, that’s $6,000. I may have some cash lying around but I don't have it lying around just for that purpose. It's like insurance on your car. I saw an accident this morning and it was bad. That was unfortunate but that's when you don't want to say you wish you had insurance.

Cinch Home Services response

William - It is always our intention to assign the right technician at the right time to meet your needs, and provide a hassle-free customer experience. Our providers are here to help resolve your problems and answer your questions. We are delighted to hear that you have overall been pleased with our service. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Have a great day! Sincerely, Austin

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: July 28, 2021

Since my claim was submitted on July 6, 2021, for a non-functioning fridge freezer and ice maker I have followed up and been ghosted & stonewalled by Cinch and their two assigned repair service firms at least ten times, and no repairs have been started or completed to date and it could take several more weeks if approved. FYI, a Cinch representative stated the warranty contract is for service repairs but not when the repairs are done.

Cinch Home Services response

L E R LER - We're disappointed to hear we have not met your expectations in a warranty company. We understand the inconvenience when a major kitchen appliance breaks down, in your case the refrigerator. My team will be glad to review your claim and follow up personally to address your concerns. Please respond with your full property address so we can reach out directly. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 16, 2021

After paying years of premiums to Cinch I've finally had 3 issues this year as follows:

1) Sewer water was backing up in my basement. It took 5 days for the technician to arrive.
      2) Washing machine broke down. It's been 9 weeks during which I've called them every 4-8 days checking on the status and trying to escalate the issue. They're now telling me just be patient a little longer and hopefully they'll have something for me next week.
      3) Air conditioning circuit panel broke following a power outage. It's been 6 days with temperatures in the 90s. I just called in again and they told me they are "Researching potential replacement parts but couldn't promise any timeline. At this point we need to be patient and follow the process"

I'm suggesting that anyone avoid the Cinch Home Warrenty "Process" at all costs!

Cinch Home Services response

Caleb, We're disappointed to learn this has been your experience and my team would like to step in and see how we can help. Please reply with your full property address so we can thoroughly review your claim and follow up personally. Sincerely, Austin

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: July 12, 2021

This company will definitely take your deductible of $200 and $50 to the service guy and then refer you to the service provider to discuss any questions you may have. Once you start calling HMS Cinch they'll get frustrated and tell you they'll give you a call back and never will. they will definitely start screening your calls and will pick up and hang up and make it seems as though you are the one that's at fault. If you're a skeptic? muster up and try them and you will be very very disappointed. In addition, after going without A/C for a month two days and 6 hours, 30+ unanswered phone calls, 2 service calls paid in full this company has sent a letter to my home stating that I have an unpaid service call and that it will go to collections, but understand that will the service rep comes out he collects that $50 service call payment at that time. AND I NEVER ONCE RECIEVED ANY NOTIFICATION ABOUT THIS SEVICE CALL FEE UNTIL THIS LETTER! This kind of business is criminal and must be stopped!

Cinch Home Services response

s c - We're sorry to hear about this experience. It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. We’d like to speak with you to address your concerns. Please respond to this message with property address or contract number and your telephone number/best time to reach you and a member of our team will contact you. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 12, 2021

I had a home warranty with Total Protect aka Cinch Home services and when my dishwasher broke I attempt to get service. First they only use their web page, no way to speak to someone, next they require the deductible up front via credit on web page. The guy came out said nothing was wrong, didn't fix it and left. I tried to get a return visit and could not get company to respond to numerous requests. They don't allow you to send direct email only through their form so you can't keep a copy of it. I did screen shots to save my attempts. Save your money and do not get a home warranty. TOTAL SCAM!

Cinch Home Services response

Cynthia - We truly apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. It is clear that your experience was unsatisfactory, if you would like us to review your claim and follow up with you personally, please respond to this message with your property address. Once we complete our review a team member of my team will investigate and follow up with you. Thank you, Austin

Original review: July 8, 2021

This past spring, I started receiving offers from my mortgage company, Freedom Mortgage, to go with Cinch Home Services as a home warranty company. Even though we already had a company that we were fairly pleased with, we decided to switch to Cinch in March 2021. In June 2021 our air conditioner was not blowing cold air so I went online and requested a service call. I was charged $150.00 per the agreement. I was also sent a name and number of a company that I had to call and try to schedule a service. After calling this company for 3 days and leaving multiple messages with no reply, I called Cinch to try and get something done. I was told they would find another company and get back with me. After a couple of days they contacted me back and said they had no contractors in my area. Now, I am 20 miles from Chattanooga, the 4th largest city in TN but thay have nobody. Ok. They said I could call the contractor of my choice, and they would reimburse my expenses for getting it repaired. I did so and after the service was completed, I emailed the invoice showing the amount of $304.00 and showing where I had paid it. A week or so later I received an email saying that they would reimburse only $179.00 of the $304.00 that I had spent to have it serviced. That is not counting the $150.00 that I had paid when I originally filed for service. I have emailed multiple times, and have never received a reply. I have called numerous times and asked to speak to a supervisor. One is never available. Canceling my previous service and going with this company was a huge mistake. Do not believe the advertising. Do not believe anything that is written down or that is said to you. They will take your money.

Cinch Home Services response

Barry, We can tell this experience has been extremely frustrating and my team would like to review your invoice directly to ensure you have been provided the full benefit of your policy. We will get a member of our team to review your claim and reach out to you personally to address your concerns. Please respond to this message with your full property address or claim number and a member of my team will investigate and follow up with you directly. Sincerely, Austin

Cinch Home Services Company Information