Call toll free
2.88/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TotalProtect, along with its parent company Cross Country Home Services, is a leading home warranty provider with 37 years in the industry. TotalProtect offers coverage for appliances, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical and more. The company offers an industry-leading 6-month guarantee on covered repairs.

BOTTOM LINE

TotalProtect Home Warranty allows consumers to choose from three plans. Customers appreciate that all plans include a 180-day workmanship guarantee. The company's service provider network includes more than 40,000 pre-screened professionals.

PROS

• Easy process from start to finish
  • Friendly and professional technicians
  • Quick turnaround time from when consumers submit a claim
  • Top-quality work
  • Reasonable fees

CONS

• Contractor qualifications can vary
  • Some customers experience communication delays

2970 TotalProtect Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We requested a water heater repair and our contractor came first thing Monday morning, almost 3 weeks ago. I called to follow-up the day after and I was told they were waiting on contractor report. Gave it time, on fourth day, they still had no report and had not called contractor. They authorized replacing 2 parts. After replacement, it still did not work. Another part was required (burner). We are still waiting for the part, a week later. Contractor said Total Protect forgot to order part. I called to follow-up and they could not even confirm the part was ordered. I asked to speak to the manager and was told there was no manager available and they would have one call me. Also was told issue has been elevated. I have yet to hear from a supervisor and Total Protect. With the replacement of 3 parts they could easily have authorized a new heater by now. With kids going to school and adults working, we have to find other ways to take showers. What will Total Protect do if our pipes burst in freezing temperatures?

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

K D, I can definitely understand the frustration of having problems with your heating system in your home. Records indicate that a member of our Leadership team has been in contact with you, and the ETA for parts delivery is for 12/13. We do sincerely appreciate your patience in getting these parts and installed. Sincerely, Austin

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Omg, I don’t know where to start. Our home is 5 years old. I believe this is our 3rd experience. On Thanksgiving Day I saw a child-size fist spot in the ceiling. It was obvious it was from a small water leak. I phoned TP/CCW and told them, I peaked into the hole with a flashlight and noticed it was from a pipe. I shared this with the on call with the warranty representative. I asked her could they cover and fix? She said yes sir! There’s no reason why we would not fix a water leak! She said now let me schedule a company to come out. I asked again if they were sure there’s no problem in covering this service as well as repairing my small area of sheet rock? She again said yes it’s all covered but you are responsible for painting it back. I was fine with that. On 11/28 they send out a company named Allied Plumbing and Construction. The owners name was Dominick. First off, my wife and son had to meet with him because he changed our 8:00 a.m. appointment to between 12-5 and I wasn’t available for that. They both said he wasn’t friendly and seem to be in a bad mood for the first 10 minutes there. My wife offered him a stool to stand on to see inside of the small hole (just as I had to) and he declined saying he could see just fine without it. I was on the phone (with my wife) listening to their entire conversation. He said he couldn’t repair the leaky pipe because the hole was too small. It needed to be cut out to a 4x4 size for him to fix. No one at your company offered to tell me this. My assumption would be if we messed with the area you would deny the claim! Dominick said he’s not allowed to cut sheetrock! He then said he will write up the repair so the company can get it taken care of. My wife was then asked by him to sign what he wrote up on his iPad. She asked him politely what is it that’s she’s signing because our experience with Tp/CCW a few months ago for our garage door was our first nightmare experience and bam, you upset us again. She was asked to sign a signature page. She told him she wasn’t comfortable signing something she had no knowledge of and he abruptly said ma’am it’s what I just told you the problem is. He said the builder uses a purple spray glue to seal the pipes. He said the pipe leaking was missed. My wife asked him how does he know that the leak didn’t wash the glue away? No response. He submitted the claim to your company on 11/28. He cashed my check on 11/28. I get a call from your representative today 12/3 that upset me so badly. I was told the claim would not be covered because the pipe was never glued. I was like are you kidding me? Is this a joke? I was told it would be and you guys would not just take another $100 from me! I had an instant flashback of my garage door experience. You said it was covered. You send a guy out that sees it’s the cable like I told you when placing the call Just to have technician say they will not cover cables on garage doors. That guy made $100 in 5 seconds. Said so many customers are gotten on their garage doors. Your company said they would play the call back to hear me say it’s my cable and guess what, they all lied to me even the supervisors! They toyed with me for 2 months. This company seems like they have a really big scam going on and I’m on fire! Take the call, take monthly premiums, send entry level repair guys to write it up in ways the repair will get rejected and upset the customer to the point you want to blackout from anger of the lies you are told. I want my $200 back or $100 back and my pipe fixed. How on heck would I know if a pipe covered by Sheetrock if sealed or unsealed! This is why I pay good money for such a big investment (like a home warranty) to cover situations like these. I have been given the run around so badly by your company that I feel I had to contact you ASAP! My family and I have been horribly treated by your company!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Abe, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and the pipe not being glued properly is considered improper installation, I regret you was told erroneous information by the customer service representative. Should you wish to get the $100 back from the provider, you would need to contact him directly as that money does not come back to us. Regretfully, Austin

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I just completed a year with Total Protect, but I cancelled my service because each referral agent Total Protect referred me to stated they no longer dealt with Total Protect. Total Protect referred me to four different vendors, and ALL were stated they were no longer affiliated with Total Protect. I submitted my first claim for leaky sink kitchen, and Total Protect could not locate one local vendor to repair the leak, so I got rid of them. Do not waste your time. Please trust me, find someone else.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Jerome, I am sorry to hear about this experience. It sounds like we’ve let you down. I also regret to hear that you did not renew your policy. Regretfully, Austin

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Placed my lack of heating claim on line. Called the provided vendor 4 times without any return calls or email. Received text message from SystemsPrtect the following day offing assistance in appointment scheduling. Stated there conceige team would follow up......that was 4 days ago, still no appointment or response from anyone. Called SystemsProect on day 6, after 1.5 hours of phone run around, still have no answers. Asked for a supervisor 3 separate times and was told none are available. they would take my number and have one call when available, that was 5 hours ago......

Since it will be down in the low 40’s this week, I have no choice but to order and replace the parts myself.

I just love paying for a contract that is beyond worthless and WILL NOT make this mistake again. I will file the complaints with the state AG, BBB and my mortgage lender..

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Richard, It sounds like we’ve let you down. Please respond to this message with your property address and a member of our team will review your account and follow up with you. Thank you, Austin

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Dryer went out on November 12 service man came on 16th he spent 2 hours on phone with TotalProtect with no one answering the phone. His boss told him to move on with no answer on what to do with my dryer REPAIR OR REPLACE. December 3rd still no answer on what to do with my dryer. After hours on the phone the only answer I get is "Resolution in Progress"

What a joke!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Terry, I am sorry to hear about your experience, I assure you this is not the quality of service we aim to provide. We are reviewing your account and will give you a call as quickly as we can. Thank you for your continued patience. – Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

It is hard to put in words all the frustration we had experienced with this company. After our claim for malfunctioning AC was put in, it took 4+ months to resolve it and not even close to the expectation (many calls, promises-nothing!, no follow-through at all)

- The service providers they use are small outfits that you can not reach by phone to discuss the technical aspects, only scheduling and to have them come out takes 3+ weeks each time.
- When they order parts, they don't let service provider do it, but do it themselves and order wrong parts 75% of the time (it took 4 iterations in our case - weeks of wait per iteration)
- They try to replace the smallest part which is impossible to find, and usually does not fit.
- During this incident we probably spent enough in temporary cooling making having this policy completely not worth it!

- After having paid 8 years into this, the incident opened my eyes and I would not be surprised if there was a class action against this company!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Edward, It sounds like we’ve let you down. It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. We’d like to speak with you to address your concerns. I have completed a review of your claim and it seems that since this review we have approved a cash allowance in the amount of $1185.00. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please respond back to this message. Thank you, Austin

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

If there was a zero rating; that's rating. Called Total Protect (TP) for repair, Fri evening for leaking defrosting fridge. Given a rotary appt for which was not confirmed for Mon morning. Although I was notified that a tech would be out on Mon. No call; no show. TP told me to call independent contractor (IC) myself. A IC tech was sent the following Thursday. He Pulled fridge out wo sliders and scratched hardwoods, he left with 125.00 pymnt and I didn't provide me a receipt; told me, I'd get email. Had to back order parts; brought wrong part the following Thurs (2wks; no fridge). I called IC and was told sorry, we'll have to get another auth from TP for wrong part and didn't address floors. Called TP back to cancel this mess but was told Id paid the IC 125.00 so I needed to work w them. Also told me to work w IC on my floors. I called TP back & ask for receipt, a supervisor and or corporate #. Was informed they weren't able to provide info nor receipt but I'd be called back. No call. This is unacceptable. I pay a monthly fee for this service; For what. reviewed site and nothing but an address...really. Really bad service through customer service other than I'm so sorry. Don't be sorry, provide a receipt, a supervisor, corporate number.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Valerie, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not the level of service we intend to provide and I understand your frustrations. We have located your account and records indicate you have since cancelled the service job and will be purchasing a new refrigerator on your own. Should you like further assistance please respond to our message with the best time to reach you. - Austin

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

It has now been four weeks since your service provider came to my home and you approved for the AC UNIT to be replaced, but I am still not able to figure out when the system will arrive and be replaced. I called and wrote several times in the last four weeks and was told by different people that parts were being ordered. After 3 weeks, I called once again, and I was finally told that the parts would be expedited and that they would be ordered soon. I requested to speak to a supervisor and she did call me the next day to inform me that the parts were going to be ready for pickup the next day. Unfortunately, the service provider is now saying that the parts were not there ready for pick up. I just don’t know who to believe anymore. I called customer service tonight, and after being put on hold for over 30 minutes, he could not tell me if the parts were ready to be picked up by the service provider. This is absolutely ridiculous! I’ve never experienced such horrible customer service. I can’t believe it takes a company a month to order a AC system. This shows how little you value your customers. This has been such a disappointing experience, and I’m not sure if I want to continue paying into this home warranty company if this is how you run your business and treat your customers. I still need my AC SYSTEM!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

R G, I am disappointed to hear you have had such lengthy delays with your A/C claim. I have located your account and will have a Resolution specialist from my team reach out to you and assist you with your claim. Thanks, Austin

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I saw what TotalProtect does, which was what I needed and I hooked up with them. I had a rough time with our air-conditioning unit. It was 30 years old and they've come out once or twice a year for it. They gave me a little runaround on it, but they finally installed it, which I'm happy about. I've had good interactions with their tech and I could communicate with him. The quality of work was also good.

Albert, Thanks for your kind words! We appreciate it. - Austin

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Submitted a claim 13 days ago. It is still not fixed and it is currently in dispatch status. I was told that a claim may remain in dispatch status for a long time.

No heat in the house for two weeks because they cannot find a provider (sent two that were not competent)

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Geo, I appreciate this feedback, and I am sorry to hear about the customer service you have received. Your experience definitely does not reflect the type of service we aim to provide and we would like to address your concerns. A Resolution Specialist will contact you as soon as they can to make this right. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

A home warranty is important and I added on TotalProtect Home Warranty with the purchase of my home. Their price was reasonable for the service and filing a claim was quick and easy. I call the service, I tell them what the problem is, they give me a claim number, then they send me an email with companies that are participating with them. The contractors that they send are good for the most part but there was a service that I dealt with once that I wasn’t so happy about. Everything else has been fine though and I've used them several times. I recommend TotalProtect all the time.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Amy, Thanks for sharing! Keep in mind we are here to answer all of your home management questions, even the ones you are uncertain of. - Austin

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

A friend that had the services of TotalProtect Home Warranty referred me to them and I went off her experience of their getting claims done in a timely manner and taking care of things. I had a home warranty company before but they didn’t really do anything. On the other hand, submitting claims through TotalProtect was very quick and pretty easy. I just called and they took care of it from there. All of the claims representatives that I spoke with over the phone were pretty polite.

TotalProtect usually had someone out the next day. I had some plumbing stuff taken care of. My AC has also been serviced through them. When my heat wasn’t coming on, that was serviced through them as well. The technicians that were sent to our home were always amazing. The ones from the contractor that repaired my furnace and my AC were very courteous and got things taken care of in a timely manner. We were dealing with being hot and cold, and they were on time and on top of the issues. Overall, the quality of work that was performed was awesome. I plan to keep TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Tierra, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know you were pleased with the service. - Austin

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have been quite satisfied with TotalProtect. I felt more comfortable with a home warranty and heard about them through a friend. TotalProtect's reps have been very good. They have helped me and I have gotten good service. When I explained to them what was going on, they really checked it out and let me know what I should do one way or the other. I'm also quite satisfied with the guy that comes out here and checks out everything for me. The work he has done has been very good. I would recommend TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Jean, We appreciate your loyalty and are delighted to hear that we’ve been delivering on our promises and making your home management needs easy. Sincerely, Austin

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

TotalProtect is slow in getting people to respond. Sometimes, I might have to wait for four days to a week for the contractors to get back in touch with me and to be scheduled. The technicians have been good though. They have been friendly, talkative, and as far as being capable of doing their jobs, we've never had any problems there. The refrigerator downstairs went out, but TotalProtect never told me that it wasn’t covered. They only covered the one item, which they should’ve let me know upfront. I just thought every product in the house was covered. They didn’t even ask me if I had two refrigerators.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Basil, Thank you for sharing your experience. We are delighted to hear that we’ve been able to satisfy your home warranty needs, and regret to hear that you had difficulty with understanding the extent of your policy. We strive to make your home management needs easy and are here to answer any questions you may have. - Austin

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

My mortgage company partnered with Total Protect so I got their home warranty. I've been with them for coming up on two years and thus far, submitting claims has been very easy. I call Total Protect up, describe my problem and schedule an appointment. Thereafter, a tech would come out and fix it. The one time I used the warranty, the tech who came was professional, tidy and on time. However, there was a little glitch with the work as there was something that he forgot to reconnect. Still, I called up the contractor and the tech came out and took care of the problem.

Patrick, Excellent service is what we aim to provide! – Morgan

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I had American Home Shield for 8 years and I liked them but I didn’t like the fact that every year the fee goes up when it was time for renewal. I got TotalProtect now on my rental property and everything’s been really good so far. I’ve already had two claims with them and in one, A&E was the contractor that came out. They have been on time, were very professional, and took care of their business. I have Choice Home Warranty in the home that I live in and I’m dissatisfied with them too, so I’m not gonna renew my contract with them. I’m also gonna try to come aboard with TotalProtect for my home.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Calvin, Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thank you for being a loyal customer! Thanks! – Austin

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I've been using TotalProtect for many years and for the most part, I'm pleased with it and the way they handle their claims. Recently, however, I had a claim that I was not happy with the outcome. Something was mechanically wrong with the electronics in the cleaning mode of my oven, and TotalProtect sent a repair person out. He did what he needed to do, which was great, and they ordered the parts. After the part wasn't available, they gave me the option to either replace the oven or to get a buyout where they would send me a check. But since the item has been eliminated from any other claim service, the buyout certainly made sense.

I determined that the amount of the oven was marginally over $1,000 but TotalProtect was offering me $711 because that's what they pay for it. I couldn't go out and buy it for that, so I tried to negotiate with them. But they wouldn't move on the numbers, so I decided to take the $711. This was back in September this year. They said they would issue a check within the next 10 days and I should receive it within a week or 10 days after that, and that's fine.

Time went by and I did not receive the check, so I called them. They said they could confirm that the check was issued but they didn't know what happened to it. When I called back towards the end of October, it was about four or five weeks already after the check should have been issued. They said they were gonna stop payment and issue another check, and that second check was issued on November 2nd. I received that check very recently and I don't know why the money was held. I would have thought that company that does this on a regular basis would have cut the check and boom, it would have been bought. I would have been compensated and not waited 60 days to be paid. TotalProtect should've overnighted the check and they should've been apologetic. I already waited five weeks and I wouldn't have known if I didn't call to follow up.

Fortunately, I didn't need the money, but somebody else in another circumstance would have needed that money to go out and buy another oven. If nothing happened within the time period when I got the check, I was looking to terminate my contract. I have two homes that I insure with TotalProtect, so they're gonna lose my business on both. But I just sucked it up and got the check and waited for the next business. They performed in the past anyway and I've never had to do this before, so no hard feelings. They've always handled the remedy or repair and replaced whatever they needed to do. I've never dealt with a buyout before, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt that the first check was lost and it just took that long for that to work.

Most of the technicians that TotalProtect had sent out to our home were okay, but I had this plumber with whom I had an uncomfortable situation. My 10 year-old water heater was leaking then and it went off. But that's what we have insurance for, so I called TotalProtect and they sent somebody out that day or the next day. This guy came out and all he wanted to do was check my water pressure. What he didn't know, however, was I'm a general contractor, so I'm somewhat familiar about what he was attempting to do. He went outside and checked my water pressure and told me that it was way too high, which was a lie.

He said that according to my contract, if my pressure is high, I’ve gotta pay for the water heater and TotalProtect doesn't cover it. I said that was not how it was gonna work, so I told him to get the hell out of my house. This plumber never even asked to see the water heater. He just wanted to check my water pressure. His intention was to take the burden off of TotalProtect and put it on me and then deal with me so he didn't have to deal with TotalProtect as an insurance provider. I thought that was a bit of an unethical way to do business. So I called back TotalProtect and they sent another guy out who did it the way it was supposed to be done. He replaced the water heater, no questions asked.

I've had used TotalProtect for other instances as well. I had a control panel that needed to be replaced on my oven and the techs did something with my ice-maker. I think TotalProtect had the garbage disposal replaced too. The techs have been out here over the years, maybe once a year. They also did something about a year or two ago with my air-conditioning. TotalProtect has been very responsible and there hasn't been any kind of a callback situation. So except for those two incidences with the check and the plumber, I have no complaints.

The one with the plumber was not within their control. It was going on behind their back, so they were oblivious to it. But the issue with the check should have been handled a little more responsibly. I understand that checks get lost. I've been in business and those things happen. But when they do, you step up and you make it good and overnight a check and add 10 bucks instead of it going into the system all over again and having to wait weeks. The check from TotalProtect is gonna go out 10 days from now and then, I’m gonna wait another week or 10 days to get check. That's another three weeks that I'm not getting paid, above and beyond the time that I waited for the first check. But I’ve always believed in second chances. TotalProtect didn't screw up anywhere else and overall, they did what they needed to do as I interpreted the contract and their performance in the contract.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Barry,Thanks for sharing! Keep in mind we are here to answer all of your home management questions, even the ones you are uncertain of. - Austin

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

My name is Terra. We have been with Total Protect for 5 years. The service started becoming sketchy within the last year. We called in a claim for our oven at the end of October. A provider came out October 30th. The provider alleged that they submitted the information the same day. I kept calling the provider who answered sporadically. The provider claimed they were waiting on Total Protect. Finally, 7 days later I called Total Protect and they said that they never received anything from the provider. They called the provider with me on hold. The next day the information was input into they system, this is 8 days later on November 9th. I am panicked because Thanksgiving is now less than 2 weeks away. We were told that the claim was submitted on the 10th and the part was ordered on the 10th, which we found hard to believe because that was a Saturday. My husband made follow-up calls on the 12th and 13th with no action taken. On November 13th he was told that they could not find the part. On November 19th, we were told that the issue was being escalated. So, no oven for Thanksgiving. My husband called back on November 21st and still there was no action taken. Representative allegedly made a 2nd escalation. We called back on November 23rd and allegedly a third escalation. My husband requested to speak with a manager and was told that a manager was not available. I need my oven before Christmas. This is absurd. If you cannot find the part, then give me a new oven, as is outlined in my policy.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Terra, It is clear that your experience was less than expected, and we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and value your opinion. Upon review of your claim you have spoken with multiple members of our leadership department and accepted the claims credit for your range in lieu of the replacement we offered. We appreciate the opportunity to make this claim right for you and your family. Thanks - Austin

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have been with TotalProtect for over 16 years. When I submit a claim, I go online and then I follow it up with a phone call. I prefer to go online as the website is user-friendly. The technicians they sent out were very professional. I like that they call ahead of time to let me know they’re on their way. Also, I haven’t had any instance where they’ve been out and haven’t been able to fix whatever the problem is. They take care whatever it is and do a good job. So, it’s been a good experience.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Dianne, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were extremely pleased. Thanks for the kind words. – Morgan

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

As a single mom and with just me in the house, TotalProtect works for me. The first home warranty I had didn’t offer as much as TotalProtect. I had to come out-of-pocket half the money needed to replace my HVAC system, which was not a great thing at all because it cost me $5,000. With TotalProtect, you pay your premium once a month and then your deductible. And if it's something that the vendor cannot fix, they will replace it. I was really satisfied with that.

I call them most times to file a claim and for the most part, their process was quick. The claims representatives were efficient and thorough. And then, when they tried to assign me somebody that is with the other company, I told them, “No, you're not sending those people to my house again ‘cause they robbed me.” And they automatically reassigned it to another vendor. There was a vendor also recently that I couldn’t get in contact on the phone and they immediately reassigned me to someone else, and the job was done within days. I've recommended TotalProtect to other people.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Angela, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were extremely pleased. Thanks for the kind words. Austin

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

TotalProtect is a fine company. One of my friends had TotalProtect and I went with them due to my friend's recommendation. I had several claims through them and they were fine experiences. I normally submit claims over the phone and I get through quickly. The reps I interact with are very helpful and the techs that come out here are fine. My most recent claim was for my washer, and TotalProtect had a repair guy come out and he fixed the washer.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Michelle, Excellent service is what we aim to provide. Thank you for sharing! – Austin

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

My parents purchased a home, so I told them that they needed to get a home warranty. We did a Google search and chose TotalProtect since their service was cheaper than the other home warranty companies. I normally submitted claims online and that process was easy. The technicians fixed the appliances and I was impressed with the good service. TotalProtect should keep doing a good job and people should get their warranty.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Edilia, Our goal is to provide our homeowners with superb service and we are happy to hear we have met this objective. Thanks for sharing! - Austin

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Navigating TotalProtect's website is very convenient for me. I went online to file a claim for the furnace as it wouldn't start when the season started. They sent a guy out and he got the furnace started. He also said then that the thermocoupler might need to be changed, and I should have made him change it because I had to call TotalProtect for it and paid another 125 bucks. So now, someone came out and repaired my furnace. Every one of the techs that has come to my house was very professional. The thing is TotalProtect shouldn't make customers wait so long. When my washing machine went out, they determined they needed to replace it but it took three weeks to get the okay for it. Other than that, they are superior because they cover far more components in our home. They cover electric, plumbing, and not just our appliances.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Cynthia, Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We aim for excellent customer service and seems that overall we succeeded our objective. Thanks for being a member! - Austin

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Submitting a claim with TotalProtect has been good. Sometimes, I go online to file a claim and the process is not difficult. I haven’t had any problem so far. The technicians that have been sent out to my home were very friendly and courteous. It doesn’t take them too long to fix the problem that I have, and the quality of their work has been very good.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Brenda, We appreciate you sharing your experiences and are thrilled to hear that you have referred your friends and family to us. It is our pleasure to provide you with top-level customer service and efficient claim resolutions. We hope to continue to have you as our customer for many years to come. – Austin

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I wish that I would have never went with this home warranty group because I have had the worst customer experience ever. A little back story, I live in California, central valley, I started my home warranty late September 2018 I waited the 30 day grace period which meant that my warranty officially started October 17/2018. I placed two claims, one was for my washer and the other was for my water heater, I no longer had hott water. I placed a service request online and was immediately assigned an appointment for my washer that stopped working.The system did not let me select a time or date for the water heater however, I received a phone call right away from a company that was willing to come out same day to resolve our issue, so far so good. To get straight to the point, the gentleman came out two additional times, total of three, and he finally discovered that the water heater has a small leakage and corrosion underneath the water heater and recommended that it be replaced.

However, since his first visit he had already closed out our case with Total protect because from his initial first visit he thought he had fixed the problem. He then said that we had to start a new claim with our warranty group and that they may charge us our deductible of $125, that we had already payed him, to send a licensed plumber to replace the water heater.
If you are still with me folks, my concern in my head was," why should I pay for a plumber to come out when I already payed you and the issue is something you aren't even able to fix.Why did they send you?"
Having to call Total Home Protect warranty was an emotional roller coaster I had to argue and speak to so many different people that I felt so emotionally defeated. In order to speak to any higher level management they usually tell you that they will have to submit a request and that someone will get back to you within 24-48 hours.
A few times that this happened I had to call back because I never received a phone call back. When you call I highly highly recommend that the person you speak to put in their notes EVERYTHING. I am not sure if it could be a system glitch or human error but there were many times I called in and the person found nothing notated in the notes that created so many issues.I was transferred to multiple departments many times after already waiting 25-30 minutes to speak with some management.
Once we finally were able to resolve the fact that I was not supposed to pay an additional deductible fee and finally able to get someone to come out and look at the water heater, the gentleman opened up the door to the water heater stood there and said that there was NO LEAKAGE. I thought to myself, " there is no way I waited this long for this guy to basically due nothing." He goes on to claim that if there was a leakage that there would be water on the outside of the water heater.
I became so frustrated, my husband tried explaining to him what the previous guy told us and the pictures and video that the guy showed us however he said that he would report only what he was able to see. I immediately called the warranty department and told them what was going on and was advised to follow up with the warranty department once the gentleman submitted his report.
At this point I had enough, I spent more time calling in and doing most of the leg work, making phone calls, and putting in so much work that I was not going to continue to give my money to a corporation that was not willing to help me.
I was told by the department that deals with deleting services for payment I could cancel my warranty with them. However, there is a catch, because the original guy that had gone out there had done some work to the house that I would still be responsible to pay $490 for early cancellation. Mind you, I Officially started my services with them October 17th and today is November 20 2018 and I still do not have HOTT WATER.
I have spoken to multiple departments and spoken to multiple "managers" and no one can help me, they tell me that unfortunately that there is nothing they can do. I started recording my phone calls, and I have conversations recorded of their own employees telling me that even though I cancelled my services that they would still work on the open claims that I had open because I had started my initial claim(s) before I cancelled. This information is FALSE, because when I spoke to a manager earlier today, for 2 hrs mind you, she told me that this was incorrect information. Once you stop your services with them that they cancel all efforts to even help you.
This overall experience has caused me so much emotional stress and frustration all I was at this point is to walk away from this situation from this company and never deal with them ever again. I feel trapped and feel as though no one is willing to help us and I truly feel that this company had dropped the ball on so many levels that they are not even willing to help us with anything. Customer service is not in their vocabulary. I have already filed a claim against them with the BBB and at this point am planning on suing them in small claims court.

Sometimes it is not about the money, its about the quality customer service that you provide your customers and this is definitely something that I never received with them. By the way, washer is still broken and Still no Hott water.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Sylvia, I'm sorry to hear about this experience. It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and should you wish to cancel your policy early, you are subject to pay for any cancellation fee's. I regret to see that you have cancelled your policy with us. Regretfully, Austin

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Put in claim for a Gaggenau electric range top on Sept 5. The recommended service provider told me they don't service Gaggenau. Called Total Protect and advised them Gaggenau service providers and parts in PHL area can be found on line in 30 sec!!!!! I also advised TP that 5 years prior stove was repaired by authorized person and provided that info!!! Made approx 10 calls advising Total Protect where to research parts total protect Research took approx 3 weeks to find part!!!!!!Service provider arrived with minimal skils and wrong part 10/18 bafer 1+ month. Took $125 went away and said he'll see what can be done.Called Total Protect 11/16 to ask when stove is being fixed. First 2 responders [ Dione and Nogue] transferred me to Sears who had no idea who Total Protect is! 3rd Provider [Elizabeth] disconnected when I gave name/claim number! Was finally told by Brittania she doesn't know why nothing happened since 10/18 11/16 and that she would follow up and call back. Never happened. Case manager -Byron - just now 11/20 3:01 Pm advised issue is back w/ research department! Asked Byron what would happen if hot water heater or home heater needed service. Would it take 2 months of 'research' He answered "I can't speak to that!".

What an answer!! He also said he can't tell me how long it take to do 'more research!! The business model of Total Protect very much seems to be to delay/obfuscate and hope customer abandons claim. In my case part cost is about $400. I have never had any claims higher than my premium but they decided to put screws to me. Buyer beware!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Jules, We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. This is definitely not what we want our customers to experience. A Resolution Specialist will contact you once the investigation is complete to address your concerns. Thank you, Morgan

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We’ve been with TotalProtect since we’ve been in our home and we’re satisfied with it, but we’ve recently had some issues with some of the vendors. First, it would take him almost a month to order a pool motor, which you can just buy anywhere and the guy replaced it with a motor that’s pretty loud. So, I have to reach back out to TotalProtect for that. On the other hand, I’m having issues with my refrigerator and they’ve been pretty quick to get somebody back out there, but I think at this point, the refrigerator has to be replaced. Also, they’re pretty quick to follow up on open work orders. They’ve been reaching out to us to see what’s going on with the claim on the AC which is not yet completed and they have also followed that up with the vendor. Submitting claims online is easy, but if I want to deal with a specific vendor, I’ll call. When I do speak with them, they’re pretty courteous and quick to resolve issues. I would definitely recommend it.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Billy, Nicholas - We are thrilled to hear that you’ve had an awesome warranty experience. Providing efficient repairs and excellent customer service is our primary goal as your warranty company. Thank you for your loyalty, and thanks for sharing! - Austin

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I placed a service call with Total Protect Home Warranty on October 2, 2018 to have my A/C serviced. To make a long story short it's November 19, 2018, and it's still not fixed! It took 10 business days for UM A/C Mechanical Contractors Gretna, Louisiana to get out to see me. Another 6 days for approval to replace the Air Handler. Once it was approved another 6 days to order the parts, and another 10 days to set up an appointment to replace the air handler. Well, the first appointment was set up for a Friday. I received a call Friday morning that they were cancelling, because they still needed another part, but would be out the next day. The next day I received a call from them stating that I had charges of ($475.00) that were not covered that I needed to pay while they were enroute to my house. I told them that no one notified me of these charges, so I was told to call Total Home Protect for a breakdown of the charges. That appointment that morning was cancelled by the A/C Company themselves, and I was told they would not be able to schedule another appointment to come back out until November 5th. On November 5th, I called UM A/C Mechanical Contractors, Gretna, Louisiana to verify the time they would be out to start the repair, and the owner's wife said her husband had a cold and he would not be out today. She told me he would be out the next day. The next day my brother called to verify the appointment time, and the owner of UM A/C Mechanical Contractors, Gretna, Louisiana told my brother he could not make it today. At this point 5 weeks after the original date of October 2, 2018 of placing my service call for my A/C to be serviced, and still not fixed I decided to get Total Protect Home Warranty on the phone. Please note I live in New Orleans, and it is very hot here even in October and November. Sometimes at Christmas we are cooking our turkey dinner with the AC on. I made phone calls for the next 7 days to Total Protect Home Warranty, and spoke to 12 different people.

Out of the 12 people I had 2 that were professional and helpful.

The other 10 were rude, disconnected one, transferred me, and told me that no supervisors, or case workers were available. I was told that they could escalate my case to have UM A/C Mechanical Contractors, Gretna, Louisiana contact them to see what was going on, but thr A/C company never responded to Total Protect Home Warranty. I paid a $125.00 deductible to this company, and no repairs or replacement was done! Total Protect Home Warranty is an unprofessional company, and is running scams with the public's hard earned money. I strongly recommend that you do NOT purchase a home warranty with Total Protect Home Warranty! You will be wasting your money, because they do not honor their contracts!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Kate, I am disappointed to hear you have had such lengthy delays with your HVAC claim, and sincerely apologize for the poor customer service you have received. I have located your account and a Resolution Specialist will follow up with you personally. Thank you, Austin

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I would like to bewarn all the current and future customers of the total protect . My situation is i am out of heat in this weather up in Northeast waiting on mercy of so called totalprotect dispatch team on finding a service provider to get my heating system (already waited for 4 days with no sign of any response) . To brief things here i raised a service request with total protect about my loss of heat and hot water in this horrible weather on friday (11/16) wherein i was told that they dont have any network service providers and they would like to pass this to the dispatch team and get someone in 24-48 hours or else would give authorization to find my own. believe me i called in every day to check on progress and to my surprise to be told they would need more 48 hours consistently every day i called in .. is this the service you would want to expect even after being their customer who pays regularly infact autopay for the past 4 years . So please be aware of what you are getting into before you end up dealing with this bogus , fradulent , careless , insensitive and incapable company

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Intiaz, I regret to hear of this experience and assure you that we do aim for an excellent and efficient claims process. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review so we can provide this feedback back to the organization, in an effort to improve our processes. Records indicate that since this review we have decided to move with a cash credit in the amount of $1,375.00. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

In Oct. 2018, we experienced a problem with our 22 year old A/C unit. We paid the $125. deductible and the tech said we needed a new thermostat. He installed it, charged the unit with freon because it was low. We were up and running until Nov. 14th. I called Total Protect, they sent out Always There, Heating and Air. The tech said we had a leak of coolant in the air handler and it needed to be replaced due to it's inability to be repaired because of the age of the unit. It was a mechanical failure of the copper tubing caused by normal wear and tear. My claim was refused because of "Rust and Corrosion". On aluminum and copper ?????? I had to have the unit replaced at my expense $6,375. plus $125 deductible. I have been a customer of Total Protect for over 12 years and never missed a payment. I was told my policy does not cover Rust & Corrosion, really, how does copper or aluminum rust ? I feel it is time to find another company who honors their commitments and not just cash checks.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response
Joseph, We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and it seems your unit has failed due to lack of maintenance and rust and corrosion. After further review, your policy does not have coverage for those conditions. I have also included the portion of your contract for your records. I also regret to hear you may start looking for another warranty policy. Regretfully, Austin
I. BASIS FOR COVERAGE
This Agreement covers only mechanical failures relating to the mechanical parts and components of those domestic-grade items that were in the home and in proper
operating condition on the Agreement effective date. “Mechanical failure” occurs when a covered item becomes inoperable and unable to perform its designed
function, subject to the limitations and conditions set forth herein. Mechanical failure is not covered if it is due to: conditions that existed prior to Agreement effective
date; lack of routine care and maintenance; misuse; and rust and/or corrosion. “Domestic-grade” items are those that were manufactured and marketed solely for
installation and use in a residential single family dwelling. The covered item will be deemed to have been in “proper operating condition” on the Agreement effective
date if it was correctly located within the home, was properly installed to code at the time of installation, was fully connected, was capable of successfully performing
all operations commensurate with the manufacturer’s original design intention, and did not pose any hazard to life or property. Determination of the operating
condition as of Agreement effective date, and the nature of any failure, will be made by us based upon the professional opinion of our direct employees, considering

but not limited to, our independent contractor’s diagnosis.

TotalProtect Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

TotalProtect Home Warranty, headquartered in Sunrise, Florida, is part of the Cross Country Home Services, Inc. family of home-related companies, which has been in business since 1980. TotalProtect offers three different plan options, so consumers can select which systems or appliances they want covered.

• Guarantee of work: Unlike most home warranty companies, TotalProtect Home Warranty provides an 180-day guarantee on all service work provided under their warranty policy, so consumers have six months to follow-up on service calls if the results were unsatisfactory.

• Service providers: TotalProtect has 40,000 screened service providers around the country. In addition, consumers are surveyed after every service call and their comments are included in the company’s “Dynamic Vendor Rating System.”

• Price options: Consumers can choose to pay $75, $100 or $125 for each service call. The monthly premium will be lower if customers select a higher service call fee, which the company refers to as a deductible.

• Customer service: TotalProtect customers with questions about their policy or who need to request service can reach a U.S.-based customer service representative 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Representatives are available 365 days a year.

• Limit amounts: The total limit for claims on the least costly policy is $10,000 and the limit per appliance on that policy is $1,500; higher limits apply on other policies.

• Best for: first-time buyers, home sellers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Information