Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Excellent follow up and the contractors sent out by TotalProtect have been good. I submitted my claims over the phone and I've had fast service through the whole process. I've had several things done over the years and I've been very satisfied with the work.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We've had TotalProtect for about 15 years already. They've been nice to us, so we stayed with them. It was very easy to submit a claim. We usually file our claims through a pay phone. A technician gets in contact with us pretty quick, within a day or two. The contractors have been great, and we've been satisfied with the quality of the work that's been performed by the technicians. Overall, it's been great with TotalProtect.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

For protection and to save money, we decided on TotalProtect. Once we submitted a claim, they gave us a vendor to call to get our service done. Their rep was a fantastic young lady and everything was excellent. We've had about five claims that they took care of very successfully. TotalProtect is a very good company to deal with and we have a wonderful experience with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect is an ethical company. They do what they say they will. When our oven went out, I called and they had someone come out and take a look at the oven. It was determined that it could not be repaired. It cost me $75 for the service call. Since it could not be repaired, TotalProtect got back with me and told me that my options were either they'll give me $500 or they'll replace the oven. I told them to replace the oven, and they did. The technicians they sent were very professional. The oven with that size was no longer available, so we had to get a different size. In doing so, we ended up having to do a bit of cabinet work, but it was certainly not their fault.

Additionally, TotalProtect replaced a large air conditioning unit for us. I had a second one and I was concerned that they may not be so responsive to it because they've already replaced one very big unit, so I went with Choice Home Warranty, and I absolutely was unimpressed with them. Our hot water heater had a leak, and they refuse to cover it. They said they don't cover the tank, so at that point I discontinued them. They were very arrogant, and I never received that kind of attitude from TotalProtect. I am back with TotalProtect and in fact, all three of my properties are with them now.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I love TotalProtect. I call and tell them what is going on when I have a claim and they would call whatever company they go with. The contractor always calls within a reasonable amount of time and then we set up the appointment. The process is simple. Everybody is friendly and does the job fine.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

I have been with Total Protect for about 10 years, it is time to change, it take about 2 month to have something fix. They now charge $100 deductible and they are very inconsistent, my latest problem was with my heating system, I have 2 thermostat, I turn the main thermostat on and the heating system stop working, I went to the boiler room and just a light tap on my duck wook then the system start to work again, but then stop again, I call Total Protect, the technician came on Dec 2, 2016 took a visual check and say the system is old and I need to replace it at a cost of $5500, the maximum Total Protect was going to pay was $1485, so it will cost me $4,015.00

I then when to my 2nd thermostat and turn it on, now, the system work perfectly, I call Total Protect and let them know what I found out and ask if I can have the technician back for him to check what is going, they refuse and said, because they said I need a new system, they will not sent the technician out again, I said for a second opinion, they said I would have to open a new case and paid the $100 deductible again, I told them, it is like your car have a flat tire, and when you go to repair it, they said you need a new car, this is crazy! Today is Jan 9, 2017 I still have the problem and they refuse to send someone to diagnose the real problem, to me it look like a simple short somewhere. I'm done with them and will change company in the end of the month.

I have worked with Total Protect for over 2 years now. When I first signed up they told be everything was covered. Once I had a claim they told me only one AC was covered, not both. I came to find out that is the same for every major appliance. No one ever said you needed to customize. Not entirely their fault. I should have read the plan closer.

The real problem comes with all the disclaimers about what is actually covered on each repair. I found out even though things are covered, they may not be completely covered. So here is where things get really bad. I called to update my plan and once I finally got someone on the phone, they changed the plan and continued to charge me for the new and old plan. I stayed on hold for hours and days trying to get this corrected. All was good until I sold a home and tried to cancel the policy. Again, on hold for over 1 hour to cancel. Said it was done and even got a confirm number. Today I saw a charge on my credit card again for the cancelled policy. Again, sat on hold for over 1 hour to be told nothing was done and that I needed to be transfered. I had to sit on hold all over again. Every time I asked for a manager, they ALWAYS refused. It seems they play the same game and just refuse to stop charging you. At this point I am now hoping they cancelled both policies. To be safe I am telling my credit card to refuse all charges from them.

Resolution In Progress

Very inconsistent and highly unaccountable. Most problems are outside the scope of coverage so don't bother using their service. We had their premium plan and it barely covers anything. I currently have a broken heater that a technician looked at 10 days ago and 'ordered parts for'. We haven't heard from him since despite numerous efforts to reach him. To top it all, Total Protect just informed us that the failure wasn't covered after we called Total Protect ourselves.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm very satisfied TotalProtect's customer service and how they handle the claims. I could submit claims online or call anytime and it's very easy to do. Whatever was fixed have not been broken again and I didn't have to call again. Everybody that I have talked to is nice and very helpful and whenever I needed the service, it was there. I've been keeping the same warranty and have highly recommended it. I even recommended it to my daughter.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had a concern with the air conditioner one time, but whoever TotalProtect sent out never showed up. But except for that bad experience, everything is going fine with TotalProtect. They have a very easy claims process and it's great talking to their claims reps.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was looking to change from the provider that I had before and found out about TotalProtect through an internet search. I have not heard anything about it in particular before. It provided overall coverage that I need and the pricing was competitive. So I thought I'd give it a shot. So far, everything has worked well. We’ve submitted two claims. It was easy to do online. The follow up was quick and I've been happy with both of the providers that they sent out. Both of them have been very good and thorough. Sears was the first one and then, Wave Plumbing was the second. Both were great. I'm very happy with the work. The young man that called to go over the second claim details was absolutely wonderful. He went above and beyond in explaining everything, looking at options for us to save cost, because the pieces that were not covered on the repair were pretty costly. So he gave us some input on that and really helped and that's very different.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

David - I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations for service. We have reviewed the details of the cancellation of your policy. Our records show that your policy was cancelled on July 5th and a refund of the June-July monthly payment was processed on July 11th. We appreciate you sharing your experience and apologize for any inconvenience you faced in cancelling your policy. Sincerely - John

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I called these people to get service on my Samsung Washing Machine., and they started telling me about all the recalls on a different type of machine. Then they started reading me the contract's fine print when i told them, I did not know what the problem was - just would not work. Then, MORE BS. I told them to cancel my contract as of that minute. Had to tell them AGAIN the next day email. STILL WAITING FOR MY REFUND - STAY AWAY from these crooks.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Having TotalProtect has been really good. They've gone through my washer, my dryer, and my heater. On my furnace, the company that was supposed to call and set up an appointment, never called. It was pretty cold in the house. So, I had my own guy. He had worked on it before because it was pretty cold. I was in a pickle because I got to get it fixed. I can't wait days and days for the heat to work. But then when we called TotalProtect, they said they would take care of the bill for me even though I went through my own person. I was very appreciative of them doing that. It was wonderful and I was very pleased.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Carol - I sincerely apologize for the delays you experienced in restoring hot water in your home - please know that this is not the type of service we aim to provide. Our records indicate that the water heater was approved for replacement and this job has been completed since the submission of this review. We appreciate you sharing your experience. Sincerely - John

Original review: Dec. 26, 2016

I had been paying monthly premiums on this plan for years. My water heater stopped working and I called. They gave me the name of an outfit who could not even come out to look at it for four days. When the technician told them it needed to be replaced, "Total Protect Gold" told me I had to wait until they ordered it which would then be shipped to this small contractor, and the contractor said it sometimes takes this warranty company a long time to order and ship replacement parts or appliances. In addition to my $100 deductible "Total Protect" told me I had to pay for additional cost to install it, (over $230) and they would not give me an estimate as to when I could expect to have fixed, as they didn't consider being without hot water an emergency. I explained I was a senior citizen and ill and all they kept saying was it was not an emergency. I am still without hot water, no estimated date of repair, no answers at all. This company took many years of premium, no concern about health, horrible customer service. They seem to want to avoid paying legitimate claim. Completely misleading advertising. I would advise other senior citizens to think twice before paying this company high premiums for horrible customer and bad claims service. They do not care about seniors, and when you do have a claim they do not respond promptly. It appears to take advantage of people, collect the premiums and then work with low service contractors.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I never had a problem submitting a claim with TotalProtect. It was pretty easy to do. The technician told me what was going on during the repair and I'm happy with his work. I would recommend TotalProtect to a friend.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

If we had a major problem with my home and my mother-in-law's house, we wouldn't be able to come up with $4,000. When I got the advertisement from TotalProtect, I thought about trying it out. When my mom told me that she had some issues with her stove, I told her that I didn't want her to worry about anything else so I was going to take up TotalProtect for her house, my mother-in-law's house, and my house. I'm 65 and I needed to know that we had some protection on these three houses.

When TotalProtect called me, I really tried to question them like "If I give you $50 now and something breaks down and you put me a new refrigerator in, and then I don't pay you anymore, what happens?" I was told that they have systems in place for people that do that. Their rep explained all the details to me and I've been with them for two years now. I just filed the first claim and that was at my mother's house. My mom got a new stove and a new water heater. Everything was wonderful.

For the water heater, my daughter called TotalProtect and told them what was going on. The next day, I got a call and the people with the water heater came out, looked at it, and took the numbers down. Two days later, they came out and put a brand new water heater in and took the old one away. It was great. I read that the warranty was for six months. With the stove, it's about 40 years old. The technicians came out and they said they can't fix it. They were going to get a new stove which was awesome. I paid that $125 deductible and that was it. I love TotalProtect and it's been wonderful for me. It's the best and I'm glad that they found me. I have also told people about TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty

Roger - We completely agree that the delays to restore heat in your home were unacceptable. Our records indicate that the replacement furnace was approved to prevent additional failures that may have been diagnosed if the unit was repaired. It is clear in this instance we did not meet your expectations but we appreciate you sharing your experience. Sincerely - John

Original review: Dec. 25, 2016

Our furnace quit working 10 days ago. we called Total Protect and they sent someone out 3 days later. The guy was nice but didn't have anything that could be needed to fix the furnace. He had to go buy a part at a hardware store which was a joke because the blower motor is the problem not the capacitor. When he found the capacitor wasn't the problem it was the motor he said the store had to order it and took our 100 dollar deductible and left. The store had the blower motor in stock because I called. These people just wanna sell you something. They told us they wouldn't replace the blower motor because that might not be the only problem. What they will do is sell us a whole new furnace. We gave in because we have to do something. So now we have been waiting on a furnace freezing our butts off. It hasn't been a Merry Christmas.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The claims process is pretty quick but the problem I have is the appointment is sometimes three days later. Another concern is for my washing machine which is 18 years old. The Sears technician came out and said he won't replace the washing machine but he could try to put something on it to fix it. That's what I didn't like about it. What's the reason of having a warranty if they're not gonna replace an item that I had for the last five or six years? Other than those, everything else went fine. Their claims reps and the technicians they send are always efficient and always good. I have recommended TotalProtect to other people including my sister who got it. And I also told about TotalProtect to my neighbor across the street, and they'll try to get it, too.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The people who TotalProtect had originally called to give me a call never did so it was disappointing on that part. But the second people that I had called were great. They were right on the issue and that was good. Their guy was real professional and really nice. The quality of his work was great. And then, about a week later, the other people called but I told them I'm done with them. Nonetheless, it's been a great experience with TotalProtect. I would definitely recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My bank sent me something in the mail saying that TotalProtect offered a home warranty. My house is 16 years old and most of the stuff are original so I thought it would probably be a good idea to acquire a home warranty. Submitting a claim to TotalProtect was very easy and they provide very good customer service. The lady that we spoke to was very pleasant. My wife mainly dealt with the technician who came to service our appliances and she said he was very nice and professional. I've already referred TotalProtect to family members. I'm very happy. We had no problems whatsoever.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have second home that I didnt use it too much. The appliances are a little older and if their warranties cannot cover them, I figured I should use a home warranty. I got TotalProtect. I was not very happy the last time I made a claim because when I called for my air conditioner, it's all automated. I couldnt talk to anybody and explain what I needed. I had to play with a menu for 20 minutes until I could finally talk to somebody in the company. I live in an area where there are not too many companies that service and when I filed a claim, my automated attendant took all the information and sent it to a company that was 50 miles from here. Those guys are not going to come here just to check my air conditioner and I needed to talk and explain that to somebody from them but I couldn't. They should find somebody in my area.

So they found a technician and he said I needed a new thermostat. He made a thorough job in fixing it. The second time, the air conditioner stopped working because there was a drain pipe that was clogged, so they fixed that one too. I've called several times for my dryer and dishwasher and they were fixed perfectly. The people from that company are pretty good. They call me in the afternoon and normally when they go home at night after they service. They stop at my house and take care of whatever I need. On the other hand, something happened to my refrigerator and they came here and told me that that part was no longer available. They spoke to somebody at TotalProtect and they said that they were going to call me to help me buy another refrigerator. Nobody called me to discuss if they were going to help me find a refrigerator but the refrigerator fixed by itself and is now working perfectly.

One of the AC units in the house was not cooling enough. the technician came and said the Freon was low and had to recharge it. After this the AC unit was behaving erratically for a few weeks, sometimes cooling and sometimes not. The ambient temperature was also fluctuating during this time. I complained again about the AC unit not cooling enough.
Then the ambient temperature dropped very low and then we switched over to heating. Now the heating was not enough. We filed a claim for both heating and cooling to be checked.
The technician came and said that the heating was okay. He checked the cooling unit too and said there was a leakage. He said he could not fix the problem since he needed approval from the Home Warranty company. The CCHS has been dodging me since then and do not want to fix this problem at all!!

I have paid $200 for the 2 visits and paying regular monthly charges for the home warranty since I was a member for more than a year but without any resolution to the problem. I suspect the service company and the home warranty provider work in hand in glove to do their best not to cover any services. They just need our money!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’ve been with TotalProtect for eight years now and my experience has been wonderful. When I call and make a claim, they try to get the company that I prefer. And they work so expeditiously. It's fast and I have not had any problems with TotalProtect. All of the technicians that they sent were very courteous.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

They’re really good at getting back to you and responding to what you ask them to do. If they can’t get it done when they think it should get done then they’ll tell you why. The claims process is really easy. You call them, you get a number and they’ll give you a name of who’s involved in my local area. Then I contact them and TotalProtect Gold contacts them and it works out really good. This summer we had a problem with our air conditioner and it was 95 to 105 degrees. They negotiated with the contractor guy to deal with some overtime on a Sunday. I didn’t expect it until Monday and it was done Sunday middle of the day. The technicians' quality of work has been good. I’ve recommended them to other people.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect is fantastic and I have no complaints whatsoever. They came here one day when I called up, took a look at everything, went back and got the hot water heater they needed. They said they’d be here 9 o’clock and sure enough, 9 o’clock they were here. They put it in, cleaned up their mess and did exactly what they said they would do. They did a wonderful job and if I need them, I’ll call them again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The claims representatives from TotalProtect were very professional and very personable. They're precise in their delivery. Their technicians were also very professional and they were very informative the way they convey what the problem was and how they were going to resolve it so I'm pleased.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TotalProtect has been terrific. I'm happy in the way they handle stuff promptly, no hassles. Their claims representatives are most courteous and respectful. As soon as I called, told them what the problem was they have a good follow up. The technician the first time was a little bit of a problem because he was quite upset. When he was finished he said, "That's all I can do. It's a piece of junk." He went upstairs and walked out the door. But we got a new furnace in the process and when the technician came out again a second time to do it he was much better and he was much more polite. They, to me, went beyond what I thought they would normally have done. They hooked everything up right, and they worked hard. Also when it was a dire situation where the furnace wouldn't go on and we were freezing cold, a guy came out within a couple of hours. Overall, they are efficient, respectful, knowledgeable, and courteous. We'd refer them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a bad experience with the home warranty provider that came with the house but I liked the concept of a home warranty. We got several offers from several different companies and I picked TotalProtect Gold from the literature they sent to us. I was impressed that they were right upfront with what they would cover, what they wouldn’t, and what it cost, so we decided to try them because of their integrity. When I submit a claim, I call them and they take my basic information and then I get a call from a contractor within a few hours or sometimes the next day. It's good to go from there because the contractor comes, fixes the problem, I pay them the deductible and everybody’s happy.

I’ve never had a claims representative who was disagreeable. They are professional and sometimes very pleasant. The techs who come out are always very pleasant. The guy who came to replace our oven was wonderful and very professional. Another guy replaced our garbage disposal and he was nice. We had a guy come out to replace the water heater under the warranty that's not TotalProtect Gold and he was a little bit iffy, wasn’t the nicest guy, and left a mess behind him. In contrast, TotalProtect Gold has always treated me very professionally so I like them. The quality of work performed is as good as anything else. I'd recommend TotalProtect Gold to a friend happily .I love TotalProtect.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I looked up TotalProtect Home Warranty online because I got cancelled after 15 years with American Home Shield. Submitting a claim with TotalProtect was no problem at all. They’re always very prompt and use good people so I’m satisfied with that. Their claim reps are pro-customer and we have very easy interactions. I'm never home when the techs come but I saw the guy who did the garage door. He fixed it and it was fine, except he couldn’t get the parts and that wasn’t his problem. So far, nothing’s fallen apart with all the work they've done and I didn’t have to have people come out again. TotalProtect has fast, friendly service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was looking for a new warranty as I got mad at the one I had. I chose TotalProtect and had a good experience submitting a claim to them. I like the service people that they use too. I’ve only had to use it twice and the quality of work performed has been excellent. However, I had a little problem. I have two warranties with them and the reps told me that my washing machine wasn’t covered when I blew it. They looked at the one for the electronics and didn’t check to make sure that I had two. They made me go through the runaround and I was getting frustrated. The lady that initially took the claim finally went out of her way and found out that I have two accounts and they got them confused. TotalProtect needs to be a little bit more observant and efficient before they say it’s not covered. OTher than that, they're taking really good care of their customers.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Profile