Call toll free
2.90/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TotalProtect, along with its parent company Cross Country Home Services, is a leading home warranty provider with 37 years in the industry. TotalProtect offers coverage for appliances, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical and more. The company offers an industry-leading 6-month guarantee on covered repairs.

BOTTOM LINE

TotalProtect Home Warranty allows consumers to choose from three plans. Customers appreciate that all plans include a 180-day workmanship guarantee. The company's service provider network includes more than 40,000 pre-screened professionals.

PROS

• Easy process from start to finish
  • Friendly and professional technicians
  • Quick turnaround time from when consumers submit a claim
  • Top-quality work
  • Reasonable fees

CONS

• Contractor qualifications can vary
  • Some customers experience communication delays

2987 TotalProtect Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I am a relatively new customer to Total Protect. I have had to open three claims on the account thus far, and all of them have been a complete and total cluster. One with a dishwasher, one with a receptacle outlet, and one with a fridge repair. The fridge repair is still an open claim after over two months of the origination date. The vendor network has proven to be very unreliable, at least in the Greater Phoenix Area, with vendors not showing up, or demanding to be paid their deductible before even stepping foot inside the residence. When confirming appointments with vendors after Total Protect sends an auto-generated text, more often than not, the vendor states they no longer work with Total Protect. I have called and spoken with customer service a number of times, and though friendly on the phone, each time I get someone who simply reads me the fine print from the online warranty we signed that they are not liable for any damages, vendor or part delays, etc. What exactly are they liable for? Not dependable coverage. Save yourself a lot of frustration, and go with another company.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Gina, I am sorry to hear about this experience. It sounds like we’ve let you down. I have reviewed your claim and see that a member of our leadership team has already spoken with you and we have since reassigned your claim to a different service company to complete their findings. If you are needing further assistance please respond back and we will follow up with you. Thank you – Austin

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I called in my first claim today for a hot water heater repair. I was given a claim number and service telephone number. When I called the technician someone answered the phone and said that the person that makes appointments was not there. He also told me that they were really booked up due to the recent hurricane and did not know how soon they could get to me and for me to call back and get another technician. I called TotalProtect back and was told that I have to wait for this guy to call me back however long it takes because all their technicians in my area are booked up that make hot water heater repairs. I am so disappointed with my first claim experience and really thought that I had went with a good company. I am not so sure after today.If i do not receive service real soon. I will be going with a different home warranty plan company because this is so unprofessional. Who only has one technician? I called back for a different technician and TotalProtect did not give me one. The customer service person told me I have to wait for the technician that is booked up and do not know when he will be able to get to me to call me back.This could be 1 day 2 or 10. UNPROFESSIONAL!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Allison, We are sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing obtaining service. We aim to provide each of our customers with quick and efficient service, and it is apparent that we missed our goal. Records indicate we have assigned a provider to your claim. My team will review and follow up with you personally. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Have been with Total Protect for about 5 years. Have submitted about 5 claims. At first there was no problem. But a year ago I had an electrical problem and they could not find anyone in our area to come out and work on it. They told me to contact an electric service provider and they would pay the difference charged over my deductable. I did this and sent paperwork to them and never heard back from them.

This week we had a plumbing leak and again they seemed unable to find anyone to come out. Thought this was the reason we had the service. Had to call our Grandson to help us.A leak is not something you can wait days to have fixed.

Seems ther is a definate communication problem with this company.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Carol, I am sorry to hear about this experience. It sounds like we’ve let you down. I have reviewed your claim and it seems that you have cancelled the service claim on your contract. If you still need further assistance, please respond to this message and I will be glad to have a member of my team follow up with you. - Austin

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I’ve had TotalProtect Home Warranty for a long time and I’m happy with the services that they did. Their reps were fine and the techs have always been nice and courteous. However, I am very dissatisfied with the price of the service. From $75, it went up to $100, and now up to $125. I also took my mom’s policy and I’m paying $45 for services. There are other service providers out there that is not going up. Even though I love the service, the price keeps climbing and I’m definitely not happy with that.

When I took their policy, I was under the impression that the services were not gonna change, and that’s why I bought it. I didn’t mind paying the $75. But if it’s gonna go up every year, then it’s not worth it to me. Everyone in my family that has a home wanted to do TotalProtect and they’ve tried them but they’re changing companies now because of the price. I’m really thinking about switching over. The other home warranty company here uses the same contractors because we only have a few that we can use. So, I’ll still be using the same people.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I got TotalProtect Home Warranty for added protection. I usually submit a claim over the phone and the process is not difficult at all. The claims rep who helped me as well as the technicians who came here were efficient. Their quality of work was excellent.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Robert, We appreciate you sharing your experience. It is our pleasure to provide you with top-level customer service and efficient claim resolutions. We hope to continue to have you as our customer for many years to come. – Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My daughter has TotalProtect through her mortgage at the bank over in Lexington and she gave me the number. She was satisfied with them and word of mouth is the best advertising. The first time I called to submit a claim, I was given a company. But the company never contacted me which wasted a couple of days. So I called them and found out they didn’t service my area. I never got through those automated calls with TotalProtect but then I finally got a lady and she got a hold of Sears that actually came and fixed it. And the repairmen were just super. But they didn’t have the part, so they had to order it and come back the next week. So, it took a little longer than I would’ve liked, but things happen. I was upset at that time because I needed the burner and it was around Thanksgiving, but that was not their fault.

I have a problem with my garage door. My remote will open it when I get in the car to go out. When I come back from someplace and push it, it will open. The only time my remote will not open my garage door is when I back out and the sun is shining. I called TotalProtect and I was told the garage door opener itself was covered but not my remote. So, now I have to get a new one and I’ll have to find somebody else to do that.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Charlene, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were extremely pleased. Thanks for the kind words. – Morgan

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

My biggest problem with TotalProtect is that they couldn't get anybody to work for me in West Texas. I had my refrigerator go out, and we couldn’t get somebody from Dallas, Fort Worth area which is 35,400 miles from us. One of the ladies there wound up sending me a check to get a furniture company right here, within 30 miles from me that works in services, but they wouldn’t sign the lease. They’ve had bad experiences with home warranty. But they came in and fixed the refrigerator.

Recently after that, I had my furnace go out and TotalProtect sent somebody quick on it which was a good experience. Until it came to my drier, which they could not find anybody in the world, from Sears out of Fort Worth. They wouldn’t come out here, so I called my own service people and it cost me 60 bucks to get it fixed. And it's not just TotalProtect. The problem is that Sears is almost out of business out here, in this part of the world. They don’t serve this part or anybody anymore because they’ve shut everything down. There’s not a store within 110 to 15 miles of us that’s even opened, and it’s a mom-and-pop operation so they don’t do anything. But everything’s fixed now. It may not been the way that we wanted it fixed at the time, but we got it. I have gotten good service from TotalProtect at times.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Leslie, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. - Austin

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I’ve seen TotalProtect's advertisements on the television and I thought it was a good idea to have a warranty, so I signed up with them. So far, I have submitted I think two claims and both times, the experience was quite nice. The people I spoke with at TotalProtect and the one who came out did a good job. It was the same technician both times and he was very pleasant. He was also very polite, explained everything, and showed me what was wrong. The repairs were done quickly and on the first visit. And the appliances he repaired are still working, so far. I would recommend TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Joyce, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were extremely pleased. Thanks for the kind words. – Morgan

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We requested a water heater repair and our contractor came first thing Monday morning, almost 3 weeks ago. I called to follow-up the day after and I was told they were waiting on contractor report. Gave it time, on fourth day, they still had no report and had not called contractor. They authorized replacing 2 parts. After replacement, it still did not work. Another part was required (burner). We are still waiting for the part, a week later. Contractor said Total Protect forgot to order part. I called to follow-up and they could not even confirm the part was ordered. I asked to speak to the manager and was told there was no manager available and they would have one call me. Also was told issue has been elevated. I have yet to hear from a supervisor and Total Protect. With the replacement of 3 parts they could easily have authorized a new heater by now. With kids going to school and adults working, we have to find other ways to take showers. What will Total Protect do if our pipes burst in freezing temperatures?

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

K D, I can definitely understand the frustration of having problems with your heating system in your home. Records indicate that a member of our Leadership team has been in contact with you, and the ETA for parts delivery is for 12/13. We do sincerely appreciate your patience in getting these parts and installed. Sincerely, Austin

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

For the most part, we’re glad that we have TotalProtect. The concept is good and the people are all really nice. But I would not recommend them. It’s impossible to get to the same person twice and it takes a very long time to get things done. Everybody tells you something different and it’s a hassle. One time, they told us that they'd put us down for the afternoon appointment but the people were coming out didn't call or make the appointment. So, you make a decision based on the information you get then your decision turns out to be the wrong one. At another time, a person told me that they'd put our issues in one claim together then the people who came out said that we might have to pay a second deductible. Also, right before the holidays, we had something happen with our refrigerator and it took forever to get a new one. And we selected some cheap piece of junk just to hurry up and get it. It wouldn’t have been our choice but we had to do it.

So submitting a claim with them has not been a smooth or easy thing and it has been a terrible experience for us. But I'm sure that TotalProtect's reps are doing the best that they can. Maybe the company’s too big or there’s too many people involved. You should be able to have one contact person and get back to the same person who took the information for the claim. Also, there are too many rules and people should have the authority to make decisions. But the technicians are doing as well as they can do with whatever they’ve got.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Barbara, Your feedback is very important to us and we have provided back to the organization, in an effort to make improvements with customer service and our processes. Sincerely Austin

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was very happy with my experience submitting a claim to TotalProtect. I had a couple of situations where I had to deal with them and I was happy with all the results. All the representatives I spoke to were very helpful and I had no problem dealing with any of the representatives. The technicians were decent people I had to deal with and they were professionals.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Edward, I'm delighted to hear of your awesome experience with our service technicians, our goal is to provide service in a timely efficient manner. We hope to continue to have you as our valued customer for years to come. - Morgan

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

TotalProtect seemed to work best for me. They were great, and the contractor that they sent out was amazing. Enviro Aire was responsive, knowledgeable, helpful, and polite. They did what they said they were gonna do and did it well and quickly, and did it with the least amount of muss and fuss. They were highly competent professionals. So I'm very, very pleased. We've got several newer appliances on that program that I chose not to enroll because they're still new. But I'm gonna call and enroll them all because TotalProtect did such a good job.

Virginia, Thanks for your kind words! We appreciate it. - Amanda

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Omg, I don’t know where to start. Our home is 5 years old. I believe this is our 3rd experience. On Thanksgiving Day I saw a child-size fist spot in the ceiling. It was obvious it was from a small water leak. I phoned TP/CCW and told them, I peaked into the hole with a flashlight and noticed it was from a pipe. I shared this with the on call with the warranty representative. I asked her could they cover and fix? She said yes sir! There’s no reason why we would not fix a water leak! She said now let me schedule a company to come out. I asked again if they were sure there’s no problem in covering this service as well as repairing my small area of sheet rock? She again said yes it’s all covered but you are responsible for painting it back. I was fine with that. On 11/28 they send out a company named Allied Plumbing and Construction. The owners name was Dominick. First off, my wife and son had to meet with him because he changed our 8:00 a.m. appointment to between 12-5 and I wasn’t available for that. They both said he wasn’t friendly and seem to be in a bad mood for the first 10 minutes there. My wife offered him a stool to stand on to see inside of the small hole (just as I had to) and he declined saying he could see just fine without it. I was on the phone (with my wife) listening to their entire conversation. He said he couldn’t repair the leaky pipe because the hole was too small. It needed to be cut out to a 4x4 size for him to fix. No one at your company offered to tell me this. My assumption would be if we messed with the area you would deny the claim! Dominick said he’s not allowed to cut sheetrock! He then said he will write up the repair so the company can get it taken care of. My wife was then asked by him to sign what he wrote up on his iPad. She asked him politely what is it that’s she’s signing because our experience with Tp/CCW a few months ago for our garage door was our first nightmare experience and bam, you upset us again. She was asked to sign a signature page. She told him she wasn’t comfortable signing something she had no knowledge of and he abruptly said ma’am it’s what I just told you the problem is. He said the builder uses a purple spray glue to seal the pipes. He said the pipe leaking was missed. My wife asked him how does he know that the leak didn’t wash the glue away? No response. He submitted the claim to your company on 11/28. He cashed my check on 11/28. I get a call from your representative today 12/3 that upset me so badly. I was told the claim would not be covered because the pipe was never glued. I was like are you kidding me? Is this a joke? I was told it would be and you guys would not just take another $100 from me! I had an instant flashback of my garage door experience. You said it was covered. You send a guy out that sees it’s the cable like I told you when placing the call Just to have technician say they will not cover cables on garage doors. That guy made $100 in 5 seconds. Said so many customers are gotten on their garage doors. Your company said they would play the call back to hear me say it’s my cable and guess what, they all lied to me even the supervisors! They toyed with me for 2 months. This company seems like they have a really big scam going on and I’m on fire! Take the call, take monthly premiums, send entry level repair guys to write it up in ways the repair will get rejected and upset the customer to the point you want to blackout from anger of the lies you are told. I want my $200 back or $100 back and my pipe fixed. How on heck would I know if a pipe covered by Sheetrock if sealed or unsealed! This is why I pay good money for such a big investment (like a home warranty) to cover situations like these. I have been given the run around so badly by your company that I feel I had to contact you ASAP! My family and I have been horribly treated by your company!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Abe, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and the pipe not being glued properly is considered improper installation, I regret you was told erroneous information by the customer service representative. Should you wish to get the $100 back from the provider, you would need to contact him directly as that money does not come back to us. Regretfully, Austin

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I just completed a year with Total Protect, but I cancelled my service because each referral agent Total Protect referred me to stated they no longer dealt with Total Protect. Total Protect referred me to four different vendors, and ALL were stated they were no longer affiliated with Total Protect. I submitted my first claim for leaky sink kitchen, and Total Protect could not locate one local vendor to repair the leak, so I got rid of them. Do not waste your time. Please trust me, find someone else.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Jerome, I am sorry to hear about this experience. It sounds like we’ve let you down. I also regret to hear that you did not renew your policy. Regretfully, Austin

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Submitting a claim withTotalProtect has been okay so far. Last year, there were some issues regarding my refrigerator. Initially, I thought I’m hearing sounds. I called, they sent out a repair guy, said everything was fine. Three weeks later, it would break again. So then, I would lose all my food again. This happened three times and by that time, it was Thanksgiving at this point, and we couldn’t purchase food for Thanksgiving because the refrigerator wasn’t working. So, I was gonna say that “This is enough of you bringing out your service guys because they don’t know what they’re doing.” At some point, I just had to say that the refrigerator needed to be replaced. Once I made that complaint, they finally resolved it. They issued the check but I never received it. I almost forgot, caught up in the holidays but a bunch of calling back and forth. I didn’t get the check until January. It took a while for them to issue me a check, but I eventually received it.

Interactions with their reps were pretty nice. They would’ve wanted some changes, so it was hard to get them on the line, and being passed around a lot, but after they got adjusted, things got much better. Then something happened with my hot water heater. It went out. They issued a check supposedly on November 19th. It is now December 8 and I haven’t received it yet. But they were really good. We had the plumbers come out the same day. They do really good with bringing them out and getting the claims approved. But then I just thought that I’d just go and purchase a water heater ‘cause they couldn’t come out until Monday, and then I’d have somebody else put it in. But they said they would give me the check. Eventually, things get resolved with TotalProtect. As long as you have money upfront, it resolves the issue, then you’ll get the reimbursement.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience Aujon. We look forward to handling your future warranty needs. Have an amazing day! - Austin

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Placed my lack of heating claim on line. Called the provided vendor 4 times without any return calls or email. Received text message from SystemsPrtect the following day offing assistance in appointment scheduling. Stated there conceige team would follow up......that was 4 days ago, still no appointment or response from anyone. Called SystemsProect on day 6, after 1.5 hours of phone run around, still have no answers. Asked for a supervisor 3 separate times and was told none are available. they would take my number and have one call when available, that was 5 hours ago......

Since it will be down in the low 40’s this week, I have no choice but to order and replace the parts myself.

I just love paying for a contract that is beyond worthless and WILL NOT make this mistake again. I will file the complaints with the state AG, BBB and my mortgage lender..

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Richard, It sounds like we’ve let you down. Please respond to this message with your property address and a member of our team will review your account and follow up with you. Thank you, Austin

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Dryer went out on November 12 service man came on 16th he spent 2 hours on phone with TotalProtect with no one answering the phone. His boss told him to move on with no answer on what to do with my dryer REPAIR OR REPLACE. December 3rd still no answer on what to do with my dryer. After hours on the phone the only answer I get is "Resolution in Progress"

What a joke!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Terry, I am sorry to hear about your experience, I assure you this is not the quality of service we aim to provide. We are reviewing your account and will give you a call as quickly as we can. Thank you for your continued patience. – Austin

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I heard TotalProtect through my dad. He’s been with them for a while. My experience submitting a claim with TotalProtect was good. However, there were a couple of other claims that I went through, like my air conditioner and furnace claim that didn’t go so well. They’re still not fixed. They’re expecting me to put the money out front and then reimburse me, which I do not have the money for that. It’s running, so I’m not concerned about it at the moment, but I’m not happy and it was horrible. Those two claims, it was rough going back and forth with their customer service. But with the other two claims that I had with them, it was fine. They came out, they did what they were supposed to do and everything went smoothly. The technicians have been fine as well.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Sherry, - We are thrilled to hear that you’ve had an awesome warranty experience. Providing efficient repairs and excellent customer service is our primary goal as your warranty company. Thank you for your loyalty, and thanks for sharing! - Austin

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

We’ve been with TotalProtect for a number of years. We bought this place about 25 years ago and this house has aged. They developed problems, and we just wanted to be sure we weren’t gonna be waylaid by a major expense. My experience in submitting a claim has always been good. They respond well. Sometimes, it takes a number of calls, back and forth, to establish the process, but they’ve always come through for us.

They’ve always been responsive, and if they can’t answer my question, they pretty much always connect me with somebody within the organization that can. The quality of work performed has been more than adequate and it’s been very good. They’re not perfect though. Sometimes, there are frustrations in establishing whether something is covered or not, but they put out a brochure that is pretty comprehensive, and it gives us really good guidelines about what is and what is not covered and processes to go through to resolve any questions that we have. It's an excellent booklet. I would recommend TotalProtect to anybody that asked.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Arnold,  It is our pleasure to give great customer service and offer stress-free repairs. Thank you for taking the time to share your claim experience with us. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

It is hard to put in words all the frustration we had experienced with this company. After our claim for malfunctioning AC was put in, it took 4+ months to resolve it and not even close to the expectation (many calls, promises-nothing!, no follow-through at all)

- The service providers they use are small outfits that you can not reach by phone to discuss the technical aspects, only scheduling and to have them come out takes 3+ weeks each time.
- When they order parts, they don't let service provider do it, but do it themselves and order wrong parts 75% of the time (it took 4 iterations in our case - weeks of wait per iteration)
- They try to replace the smallest part which is impossible to find, and usually does not fit.
- During this incident we probably spent enough in temporary cooling making having this policy completely not worth it!

- After having paid 8 years into this, the incident opened my eyes and I would not be surprised if there was a class action against this company!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Edward, It sounds like we’ve let you down. It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. We’d like to speak with you to address your concerns. I have completed a review of your claim and it seems that since this review we have approved a cash allowance in the amount of $1185.00. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please respond back to this message. Thank you, Austin

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I’ve been with TotalProtect for a long time and everything goes well when I submit my claims. The technicians have been great. The quality of their work has been typically very good.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Kimberly, Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are delighted to hear that we’ve been able to satisfy your home warranty needs. Thank you for being a loyal customer! Best Regards, Austin

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

If there was a zero rating; that's rating. Called Total Protect (TP) for repair, Fri evening for leaking defrosting fridge. Given a rotary appt for which was not confirmed for Mon morning. Although I was notified that a tech would be out on Mon. No call; no show. TP told me to call independent contractor (IC) myself. A IC tech was sent the following Thursday. He Pulled fridge out wo sliders and scratched hardwoods, he left with 125.00 pymnt and I didn't provide me a receipt; told me, I'd get email. Had to back order parts; brought wrong part the following Thurs (2wks; no fridge). I called IC and was told sorry, we'll have to get another auth from TP for wrong part and didn't address floors. Called TP back to cancel this mess but was told Id paid the IC 125.00 so I needed to work w them. Also told me to work w IC on my floors. I called TP back & ask for receipt, a supervisor and or corporate #. Was informed they weren't able to provide info nor receipt but I'd be called back. No call. This is unacceptable. I pay a monthly fee for this service; For what. reviewed site and nothing but an address...really. Really bad service through customer service other than I'm so sorry. Don't be sorry, provide a receipt, a supervisor, corporate number.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Valerie, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not the level of service we intend to provide and I understand your frustrations. We have located your account and records indicate you have since cancelled the service job and will be purchasing a new refrigerator on your own. Should you like further assistance please respond to our message with the best time to reach you. - Austin

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

It has now been four weeks since your service provider came to my home and you approved for the AC UNIT to be replaced, but I am still not able to figure out when the system will arrive and be replaced. I called and wrote several times in the last four weeks and was told by different people that parts were being ordered. After 3 weeks, I called once again, and I was finally told that the parts would be expedited and that they would be ordered soon. I requested to speak to a supervisor and she did call me the next day to inform me that the parts were going to be ready for pickup the next day. Unfortunately, the service provider is now saying that the parts were not there ready for pick up. I just don’t know who to believe anymore. I called customer service tonight, and after being put on hold for over 30 minutes, he could not tell me if the parts were ready to be picked up by the service provider. This is absolutely ridiculous! I’ve never experienced such horrible customer service. I can’t believe it takes a company a month to order a AC system. This shows how little you value your customers. This has been such a disappointing experience, and I’m not sure if I want to continue paying into this home warranty company if this is how you run your business and treat your customers. I still need my AC SYSTEM!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

R G, I am disappointed to hear you have had such lengthy delays with your A/C claim. I have located your account and will have a Resolution specialist from my team reach out to you and assist you with your claim. Thanks, Austin

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My house is old. I wanted to insure things so I wouldn’t have to spend a large amount of money if things needed to repaired or replaced. So I've had TotalProtect for a long time. Their monthly charge is not high and they covered just about every appliance that I have in here. It was some good coverage for what I needed. It is also very easy to do claims now. You can go online or call. Someone’s always very prompt with finding someone to come out to look at things and take care of it.

I had three occasions, like almost a week or so apart, where I smelled gas and I called BGE, our utility company, and they came and told me I needed to call a plumber. I called TotalProtect and that was $125 deductible which was pressing. That was not a little bit of money to put out. The plumber came out and made the necessary repairs. Then a week my furnace needed attention, and they actually asked that the guy came out three times to repair the furnace. They elected to replace it, and I had to put out almost $600 because currently, whoever put the last one in, the piping and ductwork and all of that, wasn’t up to code. It also took it a while for the furnace to be ordered and delivered. Thankfully, it came before it got real cold, but I had to follow-up on that.

And then my refrigerator stopped getting cold and the ice maker wasn’t working. I’m still waiting on the technicians to come out and these were three different companies because they were three different systems, so I had to put out that $125 three times, with the exception of the first person who came out about the refrigerator, because he and my friend kinda got into a debate or discussion, and he walked off, and didn’t wanna come back. Then they sent a second technician out from a different company, and they have just been wonderful. All three of the companies that I’ve dealt with have really been very professional and very prompt. All of them did an excellent job and I love them. I have told others about TotalProtect because for almost $40 a month, it’s a good investment.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Brenda, We are are happy that you were able to speak with our representatives to help you through the process. We appreciate your recommendation. – Austin

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

One time, I called TotalProtect to submit a claim online when I was at work. But for my last claim, I just called and spoke to somebody. I prefer speaking on the phone and the representatives I talked to were good and very nice. They answered and told me when the contractor would be out, and I told them when I was available and when they could come to the house. The claim was for the oven and the first tech who came out said that they had to order the baking element. He also told me to call them when it comes to the house and when I did that, the second tech came out and installed it. The two technicians were really nice and one of them even helped me send a receipt thru my email. Their work quality was good as well. I would recommend TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Essie, Thank you for choosing us, we are happy that we have met your expectations, and have provided you with prompt and helpful service. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I saw what TotalProtect does, which was what I needed and I hooked up with them. I had a rough time with our air-conditioning unit. It was 30 years old and they've come out once or twice a year for it. They gave me a little runaround on it, but they finally installed it, which I'm happy about. I've had good interactions with their tech and I could communicate with him. The quality of work was also good.

Albert, Thanks for your kind words! We appreciate it. - Austin

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Updated on 12/11/2018: After posting a comment on this site things started to happen – as such it seems one should find the right place to file a complaint and hold companies accountable. I received few phone calls, (that itself was an improvement given the 20+ minutes usual hold time/hang ups) and they found a company that “can” work on the issue. The new company’s service people arrived to diagnose the problem and found a part causing the issue. They said that next time they will come with a new part and replace it. Next time they came and proceeded to spend hours re diagnosing the problem just to come the conclusion that they have to replace the same part already identified, however they had not brought the tools necessary to replace it…. They came again and what was supposed to be a “two-hour job”, according to their confident statement, took them about 6 hours (they were visibly confused and left the site without communicating on multiple occasions for more than half hour each time). After taking the new part apart and trying to figure it out… they installed it and … it head a major water leak. They said it was the O ring that was leaking and they do not have another one…. By this time it was about 8 pm… They left the house without running water because the part they installed was leaking so much that we had to stop the water to the entire house. They came the next day and replaced the O ring and…it leaked just the same. By this time it was about 8 pm… They blamed the part as being defective (perhaps if they had not taken it apart it would have been fine) and left the house without running water for yet another day… In four visits they have not fixed the problem, which requires one valve to be replaced…

Shutting the water to the entire building, in a multi-unit condominium, was narrowly avoided due to having a water shut off valve to this particular unit repaired shortly before by a different company. If that was not the case, I would have been responsible for the emergency service to turn the water on for the entire building.
It has been about a month that the unit has had no central heating and now, in addition (and due to the actions of the repair company sent by the home warranty company) there has not been any running water for 3 days. The repair company sent by the home warranty company is incompetent, lacks experience and works without any vision of the main picture and failback options. Meanwhile I have found two other companies that can solve the issue however cannot use them because they are not in the network of this home warranty company.
Based on my experience, I would recommend this home warranty company is avoided as it has inefficient approach to problem solving and a network of incompetent service companies. In addition, when asking questions they do not want to hear, like “would you cover the cost of hotel since there is no heat and water due to your actions”, they hang up the phone (after waiting for 20+ minutes on the lines to speak to someone) – this happened twice.

Save your money, time and nerves and either look for another home warranty company or just pay by yourself. I will have to pay for a plumber to find a solution, so at least there is running water while the heating is getting fixed…

Original Review: Submitted a claim 13 days ago. It is still not fixed and it is currently in dispatch status. I was told that a claim may remain in dispatch status for a long time.

No heat in the house for two weeks because they cannot find a provider (sent two that were not competent)

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Geo, I appreciate this feedback, and I am sorry to hear about the customer service you have received. Your experience definitely does not reflect the type of service we aim to provide and we would like to address your concerns. A Resolution Specialist will contact you as soon as they can to make this right. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

A home warranty is important and I added on TotalProtect Home Warranty with the purchase of my home. Their price was reasonable for the service and filing a claim was quick and easy. I call the service, I tell them what the problem is, they give me a claim number, then they send me an email with companies that are participating with them. The contractors that they send are good for the most part but there was a service that I dealt with once that I wasn’t so happy about. Everything else has been fine though and I've used them several times. I recommend TotalProtect all the time.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Amy, Thanks for sharing! Keep in mind we are here to answer all of your home management questions, even the ones you are uncertain of. - Austin

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

A friend that had the services of TotalProtect Home Warranty referred me to them and I went off her experience of their getting claims done in a timely manner and taking care of things. I had a home warranty company before but they didn’t really do anything. On the other hand, submitting claims through TotalProtect was very quick and pretty easy. I just called and they took care of it from there. All of the claims representatives that I spoke with over the phone were pretty polite.

TotalProtect usually had someone out the next day. I had some plumbing stuff taken care of. My AC has also been serviced through them. When my heat wasn’t coming on, that was serviced through them as well. The technicians that were sent to our home were always amazing. The ones from the contractor that repaired my furnace and my AC were very courteous and got things taken care of in a timely manner. We were dealing with being hot and cold, and they were on time and on top of the issues. Overall, the quality of work that was performed was awesome. I plan to keep TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Tierra, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know you were pleased with the service. - Austin

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have been quite satisfied with TotalProtect. I felt more comfortable with a home warranty and heard about them through a friend. TotalProtect's reps have been very good. They have helped me and I have gotten good service. When I explained to them what was going on, they really checked it out and let me know what I should do one way or the other. I'm also quite satisfied with the guy that comes out here and checks out everything for me. The work he has done has been very good. I would recommend TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Jean, We appreciate your loyalty and are delighted to hear that we’ve been delivering on our promises and making your home management needs easy. Sincerely, Austin

TotalProtect Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

TotalProtect Home Warranty, headquartered in Sunrise, Florida, is part of the Cross Country Home Services, Inc. family of home-related companies, which has been in business since 1980. TotalProtect offers three different plan options, so consumers can select which systems or appliances they want covered.

• Guarantee of work: Unlike most home warranty companies, TotalProtect Home Warranty provides an 180-day guarantee on all service work provided under their warranty policy, so consumers have six months to follow-up on service calls if the results were unsatisfactory.

• Service providers: TotalProtect has 40,000 screened service providers around the country. In addition, consumers are surveyed after every service call and their comments are included in the company’s “Dynamic Vendor Rating System.”

• Price options: Consumers can choose to pay $75, $100 or $125 for each service call. The monthly premium will be lower if customers select a higher service call fee, which the company refers to as a deductible.

• Customer service: TotalProtect customers with questions about their policy or who need to request service can reach a U.S.-based customer service representative 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Representatives are available 365 days a year.

• Limit amounts: The total limit for claims on the least costly policy is $10,000 and the limit per appliance on that policy is $1,500; higher limits apply on other policies.

• Best for: first-time buyers, home sellers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Information