Call toll free
2.80/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TotalProtect, along with its parent company Cross Country Home Services, is a leading home warranty provider with 37 years in the industry. TotalProtect offers coverage for appliances, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical and more. The company offers an industry-leading 6-month guarantee on covered repairs.

2845 TotalProtect Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

The warranty of TotalProtect was set up when I purchased my home. It’s very convenient to submit a claim for service online. But if you want to talk to someone because you need to explain the situation, I found that it’s really difficult to get a hold of a person and I have to go through a series of phone instructions. This can sometimes be frustrating. I called in for a claim on my refrigerator, then the tech came out and did the work on it and left. But later that day, it wasn’t working correctly. So, I called the next morning to let them know that I needed to have someone come back out. But I was on the phone for over an hour, between holding and trying to get someone, so that they could schedule for someone to come back out. It’s always nice to be able to talk to a person, but that’s not always the way it is now and it’s more automated.

Other than that, I’ve been satisfied with the service. They usually get it scheduled rather quickly. I still have an issue with my refrigerator currently and I’m waiting to have the techs come back out for the fourth time. Some of the techs that have come out for service were good but others were not so good. I would like to have the same contractor come out every time, so I have requested that. When I had someone come out and look at my air conditioning unit, I had a company that I really thought was good. But when I called in the next time, either to have the unit checked or I had an issue with it, TotalProtect suggested a different company. So, I tried to get a hold of someone there to say that I wanted to have the same contractor come back out, but that was cumbersome. Having all kinds of different people come in to my home is not as comfortable and I don't like it.

Other than that, the quality of the work that has been performed in our home has generally been good. I had a situation with the furnace last year and I had a contractor come out and clean it. But then, it wasn’t working after they were there. Unfortunately, they had messed up a wire. I had to wait for the contractor to come back, but fortunately they came back the next day because it was in 30 degree weather. For the most part, the service has been good and I’m very happy with it overall. I would recommend that people use TotalProtect for their home warranty service.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have been a long term client of Total Protect. After I complete this review I will begin looking for a new company. My furnace went out last week. I keep calling for a status - all I get is the run around that the problem is in review. This is how you treat long term clients. Horrible way to do business. The very least you could call or email me a status. Now I am on hold and being told you are requesting more time to research. Then I am told you are waiting on a report from the hvac guy. In which he has provided the report , he has called you twice. It's 20 degrees outside . Fed up with Total Protect you need to change the name to Total failure.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have been trying to get service done on my plumbing for two months. My initial phone call was 8/16/18. The service has been scheduled a couple of times. The first service provider they schedule was in Florida, and I live in SC. The second provider has been scheduled 3 times and never showed up. I have called numerous time, have been put on hold for long periods. This is very frustrating to me. I have had this plan for at least 10 years and now I cannot get service.

I called yesterday because the service provider did not show up again. I was told the appointment could not be scheduled at that time and that I needed to call back today. Why do I have to keep calling? I don't understand why they continue to schedule with a service provider that does not show up.

I am paying monthly for a warranty that is not working for me.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Total protect finds the lowest price and often unprofessional providers to perform service. On my last visit two guys showed up in an unmarked pickup truck with no official company reference to be found. If I am going to let a stranger in my home I want to see some kind of company identification.

Once you are fortunate enough to contact and schedule a provider it will be a minimum of 3-5 days to source parts after the diagnosis. They "shop around for the lowest possible price" on the lowest quality replacement parts. In the meantime you will be left without whatever machine or utility that has failed.

This is my third claim interaction with total protect and each has been more frustrating than the last.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Dan, I am sorry to hear about this experience. It sounds like we’ve let you down. Should you like further assistance please respond to this message with the best time to reach you? Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I used Total Protect for years at my previous home and had a really good experience with them. I built a new house a few years ago and my new home warranty expired so of course as I had a previous relationship with Total Protect I purchase their home warranty. During the purchase process I specifically added outdoor pipes as I've heard horror stories of these bursting and costing an arm and a leg to fix. So this pipe coverage is $10 more dollars a month but worth it right? Well at about 5 AM one day my husband wakes me, we have a pipe leaking in the front yard! Easily accessed and we find a hold in the pipe. Have the city come shut of the water and I of course call Total Protect. Customer service answers and says "we don't cover outside pipes". I'm a little flustered, confused, and still half asleep but I told her as I was almost sure I purchased pipe protection. She says "oh that probably is indoor pipes we don't cover outdoor leaks", she looks through my policy and says "nope I don't see it" but you can always call back in the morning to whoever writes these policies. Well I have to be at work at 7 am so I run out the door and have a busy morning at work. My husband takes off work that day to find a plumber who can come out and fix the pipe as we have zero water and three little kids. So about 11 am I had a short break at work so I look up total protect pipe protection and see yes this is for outdoor pipes! I call customer service speak to a lady who puts me on hold for a while and says yes ma'am you are covered. I said great lets get someone out, mind you this is Monday no water. She says I can get someone Wednesday or Thursday! I say unacceptable I called 6 hours ago and was told I had no coverage, now I call and have coverage but no one can come out for two days??? She says yes that's correct. I then tell her I had total protect for YEARS and never have I been told no if it was an emergency. What would usually happen is the customer service rep would get on the phone and start calling companies to get someone out. This rep could not care less. I told her it is unacceptable and let me speak to someone who can make this happen today a supervisor, manager, someone who cares more about my situation. She actually REFUSED to let me speak to a supervisor, first said "they are going to tell you the same thing I told you". I was fired up and said I do not accept that answer get me someone now. She told me the same thing a few times. Never offered any other help finally she could tell I wasn't going away until I got her to find someone and she said "I'll put you on hold but all the supervisors are busy and I'm not guaranteeing you they'll pick up". Really????? Never have I ever dealt with this type of customer service even at somewhere such as McDonald's! These two employees that I dealt with did as little as possible to help me that day. So guess what? I paid a plumber to come out and fix the pipe that afternoon. Didn't cost but $250 but still I have a home warranty I pay $64.95 a month for!!! I even have wrote to Total Protect but have yet to hear back. I want someone to contact me ASAP. I would have immediately canceled had I not had years of good claims experiences.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Lindsey, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not the level of service we intend to provide and I understand your frustrations. I have completed a thorough review of your claim and regret you were told incorrect information. After reviewing further, it seems we did not provide prior authorization or consent for you to get your own plumber to get the work completed. Unfortunately this is considered unauthorized work and we are unable to provide a reimbursement for you. All outside contractors that has to complete work must be approved by us before any work is done. I hope we are able to rectify our relationship and provide the service we aim to provide. Sincerely, Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I need to have some help in taking care of my home so I was looking to get a home warranty. From the companies I looked at, TotalProtect was better. They cost 45.99 and the service call was $75. Also, they offered some of the things that others didn’t offer. I submit my claims with them over the phone. I like to talk to them to explain what’s going on. So, it’d be easier for me to do it on the phone. They’ve been good at coming through with whatever claims I’ve sent out. The technicians were professional, and their work quality was good. TotalProtect does good to me. I’m satisfied and I’d recommend them.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I am totally upset by the so called customer service call I received by Samantha (NO LAST NAME GIVEN WHEN ASKED) She refused support me with issue and the "TECH" Fit It First...I told her I was the customer not Fix-it...They broke water line to Freeze and she keeps saying I have to go back to Fix-it...

I have recommended TotalProtect but never again...After paying thousands of dollars to get treated this way for a small dollar repair Is the worst.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Veronica, I regret that this has been your experience. After completing a review of your claim it seems that since the provider that came out to your home cut the water line to your freezer, they are responsible to come and repair that waterline. Total Protect Home Warranty is not responsible for any damages that is incurred with your home/appliances inside your home from any technician. All of our providers are licensed and insured and they will be responsible to fix the waterline that they damaged. I understand this is not the answer you were hoping to hear, however we are acting within the contractual obligation of the policy. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Total Protect is the worse company I have ever had to work with. Don’t trust this company, they don’t stand behind what they say. They deny your claim which is in contract.

I have been with this company few years and have been paid $800 premium each year.
2 months ago, I submitted a claim for a pipe clogged. The technician came out and was not able to open the stopped pipe. But he asked me for paying the deductible. I said job is not done why should I pay deductible? Making the long story shout, I paid $100 deductible. Then I called Total Protect the representative told me get a plumbing company on your own, If they are able to open the stopped pipe, send us the invoice then we reimburse you.
Then I called a plumbing company and they did the job very easily and charged me $409. Then I send a copy of invoice to them and they said it will take one month to reimburse you.

After almost 40 days when I called them, they said the claim was denied. They didn’t reimburse me even part of it and also, they said the deductible is nonrefundable.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have used TotalProtect for about 8 years on 5 different properties (our home residence as well as rental properties). I have made numerous claims over the years, and have gone through every hassle you can imagine to get things fixed. If you're ready to have your HVAC machine go down for 3 - 6 weeks in the middle of summer, feel free to sign up. TP's communication back and forth with their contractors is nearly non-existent. Be ready to play the middle-man and 'quarterback' any serious claim to completion. I can't begin to list the hours I've spent on the phone with TP as well as their contractors, only to find out that one thought the 'ball was in the other's court'. In conclusion, after 8 years of this across 5 different properties, I can honestly say that TP has added no value for me. I have spent more money on the annual premium and deductibles than TP has saved me over this time period. For this, I have lost uncountable hours on the phone and weeks without much-needed appliances. My wife and I have dubbed them TotalFrustration.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Michael, I regret to hear of the troubles you have had with coverage from the policy. I also regret to hear that you feel the policy has not benefited you and your family. Should you like further assistance please respond to this message with the best time to reach you? Thank you - Austin

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I recently filed a claim due to a broken shut off valve on the pipe that the ice maker supply line connects to. Initially the claim was declined because the person the plumber talked to in the authorizations department said my policy didn't cover pipes within the walls. Now, I don't know about your houses, but in mine, the plumbing system is primarily located within the walls. I called customer service and read her the part of my contract when indicated that they did indeed cover pipes inside the walls. I explained what pipe it was and she then said they don't cover ice maker supply lines. I told her it wasn't the supply line, but the pipe that the supply line attaches to, which is very much part of the plumbing system. It was the bottom part of the shut off valve that connects to he pipe inside the wall that busted. The plumber even got on the line again, and tried to explain to her what it was, but she just kept denying the claim. She then said they didn't cover fixtures. I guess she thought it was a faucet??? I don't know. I think she was just looking for anything that she could to deny the claim. She had NO CLUE about what we were talking about AT ALL! I finally just gave up, and will be shopping for a new warranty company.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Carmen, I regret this has been your experience. My team would like to follow up with you personally to help resolve your claim to ensure you have received the full benefit of your policy. What’s the best time for us to call you? Thanks – Austin

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I've been with TotalProtect for about 13 years and I've had fantastic service up until this wall oven. Apparently they had no contractor in this area, which is unbelievable. There are a million people in this surrounding vicinity. We started August 30th when they contracted with Sears. Sears came out here and talked to TotalProtect about the wall oven. A part of it had been replaced about 10 years ago and they decided that the wall oven was so old, they were gonna go ahead and replace it. That was fine. He was as nice as he could be, and point-blank, he told me he had talked to TotalProtect and they were gonna replace it. I was also told at that time that within two to three days I’d hear from somebody about installing the oven. The service was fantastic and initially, everything was okay up until September 5.

Then it was completely unbelievable how bad it had gotten. The phone system had changed since the last time I had to contact them and it is absolutely atrocious. You have no way to get to a human voice at all and finally, after about five cycles, it automatically puts you to a human being and then nobody knows anything. I have been told that the thing was gonna be arriving on four different dates and then that they’ve arrived. The case manager said that it would be there the next day, and that was three weeks ago. They told me to make sure I would be home and I did. When I called back, they told me that the delivery company tried to deliver it but I wasn't here. I told them that was not possible. Here I am now, October 10th and it’s finally arrived yesterday after about 15 phone calls. We finally got the delivery company and they had never made any attempt to deliver this. In fact, they didn’t even have it.

The problem is that when you've got a problem, somebody needs to take charge but nobody did. The case manager did call me twice and I’m sure he was reading off a computer. But he was looking at incorrect information and made a promise. But he called like he said he would and he did everything he was supposed to do. I can’t blame him. I just hope it’s an anomaly with the people because I've had great service with these people. I’ve never had a problem of any kind. The contractors have been on the ball too. My wife spoke a couple of days ago with one of the guys down there at TotalProtect and even he couldn’t believe it – the phone calls and the misinformation. It was amazing to him and this is one of their employees.

Also, they need to do something with the phone system. If I get on my account right now, they've got three problems out there that have not been removed. The air conditioner was straightened out. I had that problem back in August. The contractor said he would call me back but he never did. The ball was just dropped, big time. But I called TotalProtect back and they told me they’d have somebody over here the next day. And they did. That problem was corrected very quickly and even that was an abnormality to me. I’ve never had any of their contractors not return my phone call.

There’s also a dryer out there which I have no earthly idea where that came from. I never had any problem with my dryer. It was a fan and I was told they didn’t cover that, which was fine with me. I was given a contractor to call and I decided to go ahead and replace the fan myself. When I talked to someone about it, they said they were trying to get it straightened out. But those things are still out there. This is nothing but raising the histories. The problems had been resolved.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I have been with Total Protect for about 9 years. When I first started with the company their customer service was awesome. They followed through with all the things they said in their adds.Recently that is not true. They just want to collect your money and scam you.I had a refrigerator not cooling on the fridge side. I set up for service online on a Sunday, July 22nd. Twin City Appliances came out on Friday, the 27th. The service technician spent less than 3 minutes in my home. He said it was a problem with the damper. He never did anything but look in the refrigerator briefly. I called them on Monday and was told TP was going to order the part. They said that was because there was no expense for them if TP did this. I called Twin City back a week later and was told that TP could not find this part. They were told to look for this part by TP. I called back a couple of days later and was told that Twin City could not find this part either. At this point I called TP customer service which is not easy. I was on hold for over 30 minutes. They said they were going to research this claim, and I should hear back from them within a week. I never heard back so a called back at the end of the weeks time. They said the damper was not covered because it is a vent. If this was not something that was no covered, why did they and Twin City both try to find this part. It has been now 4 weeks without my fridge. When it became an issue of replacing this, they decided not to. I would have been happy to just have it repaired, I was not trying to get a new fridge just one that works. I am cancelling TP. They are not reputable and do not do what they are supposed to do. Do not use this company for home warranty. You will be sorry.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Debra, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are components of items that may not be covered. I understand this is not the outcome you was hoping for, and regret you chose to cancel the policy. Regretfully, Austin

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Purchased and LG fridge. for starters do not buy. seem great to start, but won't last more then 5 years. Called Total protect to service fridge since it was on and warm inside. They send Burrows appliance repair. They were prompt in appointment which was 1 week after request was made. The service guy was able to determine that since the fridge was hot it did not work, however he does not fix refrigerators. So total protect had to send another repair company to determine if the first guy knew the refrigerator did not work. That appointment took another 3 weeks. That repair guy determined the same thing. He even told me that this was a common problem with this refrigerator. He also mentioned that it is typically very difficult to repair and would inform total protect that it needed replaced. Total protect intern decided to order every part for the fridge. Shocker they were on national backorder, I found all of them on amazon and could of had shipped in 2 days. 3 weeks later the parts came in and the service guy comes to my house to tell me that it is great they ordered the parts, however like he said before, it is not fixable. Total protect needed to get there crack team of researchers to determine if there was any way to fix, and after another two weeks they decided it was not fixable and I would be refunded only 3000 for the 3600 fridge. and to date which is over three months, I have no check. Customer service is filled with the largest group of inept and incompetent people I have ever felt with. On more then one occasion I had to ask multiple times what they were even saying. I had a supervisor tell me she was going to ax me. translation was ask. I would never use or recommend them for anything. A complete scam to not do anything for you except keep you on the phone for no less then 2 hours each call

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Chad, Thank you for bringing this to my teams attention. The reason we the cash out option is for $3000 is due to that is your cap limit on your refrigerator per contractual term. I have located the check, and will have our company send it out overnight. If you have any other questions, please respond back. Thanks, Austin

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I need protection of my house and so we've had TotalProtect for so many years. They take care of all of my needs and that is fine enough for me. I have no problem with submitting claims and they've always come through. I submit online and the process is very easy. When I call in, the customer service team is very friendly and professional. Also, the technicians are outstanding and the work performed is 100% quality. My overall experience with TotalProtect is superb and I would highly recommend them.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Tilman, Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are delighted to hear that we’ve been able to satisfy your home warranty needs. Thank you for being a loyal customer! Sincerely, Morgan

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Since my husband had passed away, a family member who had TotalProtect thought it would be better for me economically to get some backup plan. When I had an issue with my washing machine, I called TotalProtect to submit a claim and their rep was very nice. He said that a technician from Sears would call me, but it took almost two weeks before they did. When the tech came out, he wasn't here a good second, and he detected what was wrong. He told me that two screws were coming loose but it was 125, out of pocket, just for him to tighten two screws in order to get the cycle go like it was supposed to. Other than that, the guy was nice and professional. Having TotalProtect is worthwhile and people should go for it.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Marion, I'm thrilled to hear of your awesome warranty experience! Our goal is to provide fast and efficient service, and I'm glad to hear we delivered. Thanks for sharing! - Morgan

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We have been a customer for almost 2 years. Recently our A/C system stopped pumping cold air and I filed claim online. HVAC technician did show up very next day to do the inspection and found compressor was the culprit. Our A/C was the original unit when the house was built back in early 90s, I did have to refill freon one time but other than that everything was in good working order until now. HVAC technician explained to me since my system is old and R22 freon is going to be obsolete, he does not think Insurance company is going to replace the compressor and might just replace with new A/C system. He than started to take measurement and pictures of everything and told me someone would get back to me in a few days.

Five days went by and no one contacted me. I did call Total Protect on the 8th day since the initial call, the customer service lady told me they had not review my case yet but would expedite the process and advised me to call the Authorization department in two days and so I did. My claim was denied for 2 reasons: Improper installation, and poor maintenance. Whatever pipe should be 3/8" and is 1/4" in my system and that constitutes improper installation. Was the code different back then? After all it was still in working order for 20+ years. Some grass clippings found in the outside unit that constitutes poor maintenance. When the unit is on the ground by your lawn, I seriously doubt you can find any unit that does not have some kind of grass clipping inside even if you clean it once in a while.

I tried to reason with Authorization department which belongs to a different company that they determined the failure of the compressor was not due to its old age from 20+ years of normal wear and tear but rather the two reason they gave me. I call Total Protect again and got shut down too.

Total Protect advertise No inspection required and will cover any model and age when sign up the policy. How many home owners know the measurement of component in their A/C system? How many outside unit that you can find is perfectly clean? 20+ years normal wear and tear meaning something? I thought when I pay for insurance to get a piece of mind knowing I am covered when problem arise. Now I got rejected with technicality.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Y S, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are specific conditions of a covered item that may not be covered. If you would like for us to review your claim to ensure that you received the full benefit of your warranty, please respond to this message with your property address and a member of my team will investigate and follow up with you. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I was reading on getting a warranty. I got a brochure and a package from TotalProtect and it looked like what I wanted so that's why I went with them. The claims process has been easy and dealing with their reps has been good. They have good contractors and I'm totally satisfied with them.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

George, We are thrilled to hear that you’ve had an awesome warranty experience. Providing efficient repairs and excellent customer service is our primary goal as your warranty company. Thank you for your loyalty, and thanks for sharing! - Austin

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have had Total Protect for 5-6 years. About 1 1/2 years ago I called for a claim on my clothes washer. It took 1 month, 3 service visits before they decided to replace my Amana Commercial Grade washer with the cheapest bottom line GE washer. I read the reviews on the washer and 99% were negative. It is absolutely the worst product made.

Two weeks ago I placed a claim on my clothes dryer. Service person shows up a week later, Diagnosis the problem as in motor, belt and pulley. Never moved the dryer from it's position. Parts arrive about 4-5 days later. The repair was suppose to take place a week after the first visit. Took off work for two days to be present. I received a text msg at 11:00 am on day of repair saying my appt. had been cancelled because service person called in sick and it would be another week before they could repair, so another off day for me. They took my $100.00 service fee, along with time missed at work, I'm about $600.00 into a non-repaired covered appliance. Absolutely the worst customer service one could experience.

Hey Austin or Mary, besides an apology. What do you have to say about this situation??

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Kerry - I regret to hear of this experience! I can assure you that we aim for an excellent claims process, but seems we have missed our goal. I've located your account and my team will be reviewing and following up directly. Thank you for your patience. - Austin

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We bought our house back in 2016 and it came with a home warranty. We were given an option and we chose Landmark Home Warranty at that time. However, we had a hard time with them. They said they were going to cover everything but we live right near the lake so they also said they were having a hard time finding people to do the different little things that we had come up. Thereafter, we went online and found TotalProtect. They had the highest consumer ratings and we also liked what they cover, the price they charged and the fact that we were able to increase it and then pay monthly. We were able to get more coverage for less out of pocket expense. Now there is a bigger deductible, but that's where most of the insurance goes.

Also, submitting a claim with TotalProtect has been good. Before our current air-conditioner issue, we had a claim for our water heater and that was taken care of well. I also had good interactions with their tech. However, the air-conditioner guy had to come out several times last year, and it was frustrating. Nevertheless, the overall quality of the work done was good. Currently, we're waiting to see how they're gonna handle this issue with our air-conditioner. We haven't had any air-conditioning since last week. In the meantime, the tech explained the process that they were going through to submit to TotalProtect to get another air-conditioner. Overall, we've gotten what we've paid for.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Bill, Thank you for letting us know how we are doing! We are constantly changing process to better our customer experience. We're happy to hear we have delivered. Have a great day! - Austin

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Been waiting since June to get my dishwasher fixed and waited 3 months this summer to get my air conditioner fixed. Company is horrible, service people are horrible, if you are not already a customer, look elsewhere, no other company can be this bad. They insist that issues are different so that you have to pay additional deductibles. Called in June and my dishwasher did not work, someone came out and did something and it worked for a week or so (was on vacation during that time and dishwasher leaked all over my kitchen floor) - called them back and they said we would have to pay another deductible - clearly one issue, dishwasher did not work and was still not working properly. Waited 3 months for parts to come in and now they are saying I have to pay another $100 and they won't do anything unless I do. Horrible service, so aggravating and even worse is there is no recourse and no one to contact to try and get resolution.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Phyllis - I am disappointed to hear you have had such trouble with your dishwasher claim, and sincerely apologize for the poor customer service you have received. I've located your account and I will be glad to have a member of my team investigate your claim and see if we are able to provide an alternate resolution at this time, and call you personally to further address your concerns. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We recently needed to contact Total Protect because our 3 year old AC broke in August in Florida on a weekend. We called and were given the name and number of the only AC repair company in the area. Apparently they have only ONE AC service provider in all of the Jacksonville, FL area. We were given the "emergency" number and left a voicemail. No one called back that Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I resorted to contacting another AC repair company to have the issue fixed. Total Protect will NOT refund us any portion of the cost to fix the AC because the provider that I had no choice in hiring wasn't "authorized" by them. Even after my AC was fixed, the original provider never called. How long were we supposed to wait?? It was August in Florida and Total Protect could not care. I will be canceling my policy and would never recommend them.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Lisa - I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and we must have pre-authorization for you to have another company of your choice to complete the work. The work you had done is considered unauthorized work and will remain ineligible for reimbursement. I understand this is not the outcome you was hoping for, however we are confident in our decision. Sincerely Austin

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

This company will anything to not support your claim. I belonged to them for many years and did get some service from time to time, but it was always a struggle. In this particular case, they provided me with a plumber who had no clue as to how to fix my shower. I begged the company not to send them as I had dealings with them before, but they did, and I now have even more issues prior to them coming over. Do yourself a "big" favor - don't sign up with them. I just cancelled and already feel relieved!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Michael - It sounds like we’ve let you down. Please respond to this message with your property address and a member of our team will review your account and follow up with you should you need further assistance. - Austin

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Somebody in my wife's work told her about TotalProtect. She knows they've done a real good job and since we were looking for a warranty we signed up for it. For the best part the contractors have been really good. But I've had one contractor for AC that was very terrible. The lady that's done that was trying to charge me for a whole lot of stuff that was not actually for work performed. She said that she had to cut us access in the attic. I said, "Okay," which was a lie. I knew better. I said if they have to remove anything in the attic and do anything extra above what is normal, I will be more than happy to pay the bill.

She came in and they didn't do any of it. They didn't change the electric switch for the fan. They charged me for where they split the copper and put it back together as being an extra joint. They still charged me $1,500 for tear-out of my sheetrock in my attic to take the air conditioner out but none of this was ever done. But TotalProtect stepped in and stood up to them. In the long run, I agreed to pay another $100 service call fee and let her get the hell out of my life. I would recommend TotalProtect. They are a wonderful company and I find the warranty very valuable. They just need to watch their contractors a little better.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Dennis, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. - Austin

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My husband had TotalProtect on his other house. They've always been good and reliable and he always had a good relation with them. Because I never know when things are gonna go down, I decided to get a TotalProtect home warranty. Submitting a claim with them has always been good. I call them, they get somebody out here, I pay my $125 and the techs fix it. They come in less than a week and they're always friendly and nice.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Debra,I'm thrilled to hear of your awesome warranty experience! Our goal is to provide fast and efficient service, and I'm glad to hear we delivered. Thanks for sharing! - Austin

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

We had a warranty before when we purchased the house, so we wanted to continue for peace of mind. TotalProtect had the full coverage, unlike my previous one. Also, TotalProtect's deductible was lower than the other. Submitting claims had been very good for the last two couple of times. Before, it took longer because they had to order parts, and then, it went to the approval department. Even so, the interactions with the reps and the techs were very good. The techs were on time and did their job.

There was one incident where one of the technicians was very rude. I filed a claim online late at night and I got the number. I said that I would leave a message on the number so that we would be the first one when it comes in the morning. So I called and he said that I was calling his personal number in the middle of the night. I told him that if my warranty people could text or call me in the middle of the night, then I could do that to him too. I also tried to explain that I didn't know he was using his personal phone number. A professional company should have a proper work number where even after hours should go on the voicemail. He started cursing and even used S words and stuff like that over the phone. So then, we called TotalProtect and said we didn't want him and to send us somebody else. The next person they sent was very professional, on time, and did very well.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Humaira, We appreciate you taking the time to share your warranty experience. We do our best to provide quick and reliable service and we thank you for being a loyal customer. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. I'm sorry to hear about this experience. It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Not very happy with this service. I have had this warranty, paid in full for year, for 8 months. I tried to file a claim online and says that a faucet repair is not covered although it is listed under plumbing kitchen faucet. I called the customer service line, go through the automated options and get no answer, not even an actual human being. It's a waste of money. Cheaper to google and do it yourself.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Michael - I am sorry to hear of this experience you have received. Please allow us another opportunity to make this right. Please provide me with your full property address and I will have a member of my team follow up directly. Thanks, Austin

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

TotalProtect Home Warranty had a good price on everything and as a new home buyer, I really didn't know exactly how well things were at the house and it just added protection for me. I've filed quite a few claims with them and it's easy to do. You just go online and their site is user-friendly. Also, the technicians have been wonderful and the quality of their work is excellent. But there is no communication back. They say they are gonna get a person out to me. But for the last two times were either on a holiday or a regular weekend, and they couldn't get a provider to come out and see me. I told them that I could get a provider out, and they could do that too if they wanted to. Then they said that they were not part of the plan, but they did let me use another provider to take care of my last two claims. It's aggravating that they only have limited resources to be able to pull from.

I've had TotalProtect for 7 years but in the past two years, their copay has gone from $75 to $100, and now, it's $125. The costs go up, but if it goes up one more time, I will drop it. I'm not gonna pay $150 deductible whenever I can go to another provider and pay $75. Other than that, I'm comfortable with it and it comes right out of my mortgage payment. TotalProtect is a fantastic program, but they need to revisit the service providers they're using, and come out with another solution instead of jacking the prices up.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I've been with Total Protect for over 20 years and received excellent service for the first 15 years. The last 5 years has gone from BAD to WORSE. It appears as if every time there was an increase cost for coverage, which was every other year the service didn't match what I was accustomed to the first 15 years. I started with monthly payments of $9.95 per month with a $35.00 Service Call Fee. Today It's $29.99/$100.00. Enough of that, I never do Customer Surveys but this one I can't let go.

My most recent experience was with my Water Heater. I filed a claim the end of July and it took them 2 months to replace my water heater. Whenever, I could reach someone in customer service I was given every excuse for still trying to locate a water heater to it got lost during transportation. So after the Provider finally contacted me about them receiving it and setting a time to come out and replace it, I was told that I needed to contact TotalProtect about non covered charges amounting to $498.00. After contacting TP, I was given a breakdown of the charges of which they could not tell me what they was for and neither could the provider OLDE TIME PLUMBING. One charge in particular of $249.00 for Upgrades. Still no one could tell me what the upgrades was.

Here's the kicker, I'd had the same water heater replaced about 5 years ago and paid for upgrades where I was upgraded from the old to new system requirements where the pipes had to be fitted to match. I understood that upgrade. Believe me when I tell you all the plumber had to do was unscrew the pipes and connect the new water heater. So why does TP allow providers to charge customers for work that they do not perform. So at this point I'm tired of mopping up water daily and paid the provider OLDE TOWN PLUMBING to put an end to my 2 month nightmare. OLDE TIME PLUMBING did a very poor job of installing the water heater. The pipes were put together all crooked and to make matters worse he let water out on my floor and left without getting it up. I've been asking for a receipt and yet today have not received one.

To make a long story short I'm very dissatisfied with TotalProtect and has asked for my policy to be cancelled. DO NOT ever let OLDE TIME PLUMBING do anything for you, they're crooks. Yes I said it. They're CROOKS. The right thing for TotalProtect to do by me would be to refund me the money I was cheated out of by OLDE TIME PLUMBING.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Michael - I am disappointed to hear you have had such lengthy delays with your water heater claim, and sincerely apologize for the poor customer service you have received. Please provide us with your full property address and I will be glad to have a member of my team investigate your claim and see if you were provided with the full benefit of your warranty. My team will call you personally to further address your concerns. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

TotalProtect Home Warranty offered insurance on the appliances, which no one else was offering but them. I have a current claim for my dryer. The person that came out to look at it was very professional. They weren't able to fix it but they gave me a refund in order to go out to look for another dryer. There was also a time they had my washing machine fixed. I used to call up my claims but now, it can be done on the internet. TotalHome is doing fine and they have to keep doing what they're doing. I would tell others to get the warranty.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Barbara, Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thank you for being a loyal customer! Thanks! – Austin

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I had a protection company before and I wasn't happy with them. I looked for another one and I found TotalProtect on the internet. I have submitted two claims. I went to their website, filled in the information and what appliance was broken. It was so easy. Whatever company was selected, they made a phone call, reached out to me, confirmed the appointment that I had scheduled online, and the technician came out. It's much different than the company that I had before.

My interactions with the technicians were awesome. The one for the plumbing called the next day and scheduled the appointment. He asked what the problem was when he came here. I explained it to him, then he did his thing and he was done in no time. It was also the same process for my other claim which was for the dryer. The technicians were on time and very professional. I'm happy so far and I will recommend TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Cynthia, Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thanks! - Austin

TotalProtect Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

TotalProtect Home Warranty, headquartered in Sunrise, Florida, is part of the Cross Country Home Services, Inc. family of home-related companies, which has been in business since 1980. TotalProtect offers three different plan options, so consumers can select which systems or appliances they want covered.

• Guarantee of work: Unlike most home warranty companies, TotalProtect Home Warranty provides an 180-day guarantee on all service work provided under their warranty policy, so consumers have six months to follow-up on service calls if the results were unsatisfactory.

• Service providers: TotalProtect has 40,000 screened service providers around the country. In addition, consumers are surveyed after every service call and their comments are included in the company’s “Dynamic Vendor Rating System.”

• Price options: Consumers can choose to pay $75, $100 or $125 for each service call. The monthly premium will be lower if customers select a higher service call fee, which the company refers to as a deductible.

• Customer service: TotalProtect customers with questions about their policy or who need to request service can reach a U.S.-based customer service representative 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Representatives are available 365 days a year.

• Limit amounts: The total limit for claims on the least costly policy is $10,000 and the limit per appliance on that policy is $1,500; higher limits apply on other policies.

• Best for: first-time buyers, home sellers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Information