3x Award Winner
Selected for having one of the highest satisfaction rates for Best Customer Service, Best Experience with Staff and Best for Installation
4.8(1,389)
Author pictureAuthor picture
Author picture
Written by
Author picture
Edited by

3x Award Winner

About Stannah Stairlifts

Stannah Stairlifts provides stair lifts to customers throughout the U.S. and Canada to help them stay mobile and independent as they age in place. Its offerings include straight, curved and outdoor stair lift models. Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and -operated company since it was founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Straight, curved and outdoor designs
    • Rental option
    • Special model for limited flexibility
    Cons
    • Some options vary by dealer
    • No weight limits over 350 pounds

Stars Rating

• 86%
    • 10%
    • 1%
    • 1%
    • 2%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?
      Ease of Use

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

The stairlift is working fine. It's easy to use. There are buttons. I leave the chair down at the bottom of the stairs because my husband has to go up and down the cellar stairs. I could bring it up if I'm gonna use it, and it's just a matter of remembering where the switches are.

Reviewed Oct. 15, 2023

We're an elevator company and we used the Stannah stairlift while we installed an elevator in a nursing home. The salesperson came up from New York, walked us through the option of the stairlift, where they could put it, how they were gonna install it, and when they could install it. He was good. He helped us talk the customer into getting the stairlift. They wanted a wheelchair lift that would never work. He was really professional.

Customer ServiceStaffBilling

Reviewed Oct. 15, 2023

The rep Michelle was very personable and she gave me her phone number. We got a stairlift that turns when you get to the top. It goes to the top step and there's no space in between. There's less chance of falling. The installer was very neat and polite. The only problem we had was the credit card machine. It made it look like they kept declining my wife's card. Other than that, when I have to carry something or I'm feeling unsteady, I have the option to take the stairlift. It's slow but that's not a deal killer. It's convenient and safe. It saves me from getting injured.

Installation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Oct. 14, 2023

I love the Stannah Stairlift. I can't live without it. It's fantastic and beautiful. It doesn't look horrible. It blends in with the walls. The installation team was fine, courteous and quick. It took them less than two hours. They were pleasant and helpful in telling us about the stairs and showing us how it worked.

Reviewed Oct. 14, 2023

The sales rep and the installer were very nice. I took a used stairlift ‘cause it fit my budget better, and the sales rep answered all the questions that I had. The installer was neat and thorough, and he finished in the timeline that he gave me. The quality of the stairlift is good, and it makes things easier for my husband ‘cause he has Alzheimer's and his balance is not that good. It helps him when he's going up or down. I'm also using it because I have a slight breathing problem. My granddaughter enjoys the stairlift as well. She likes to ride on it.

Reviewed Oct. 7, 2023

Stannah could care less about their customers - they are so greed driven that they will only sell parts to their own dealers - not even to a licensed electrician - they are money grabbers - purchase a chair from a different company - We need another chair and will never purchase from them again!!!

PricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 2, 2023

The stairlift is very helpful in the ascending and descending a very steep flight of stairs within the house. It works perfectly well every time. It's not cheap, but I understand a little bit about mechanical devices, and the price did not surprise me. The installers knew what they were doing and did it expertly and quickly.

Reviewed Oct. 1, 2023

The rep was very informative and helpful. He said, “No, we have a 300-pound maximum that we can get you, so it would be a single. Plus the Acorn, whether it makes any difference or not, I'm sure it's all engineering, had just a single rail. The Stannah had a dual rail that you rode up on and moved up on and all that." I said that was a little safer and more sturdier. So we went with Stannah. The installation team was fine. They were very informative and quiet. They did their job. They answered any questions that we had. The explanation at the end was excellent.

Reviewed Oct. 1, 2023

I liked that Stannah's equipment was concealed. The installation was done extremely well and very clean. They came in the morning and they were done by noon. It was one man who definitely knew what he was doing. He was a true professional and that made me happy. It's a straight chairlift and it fits really well in my staircase. If my staircase was six inches wider, it would fit better. But it's not a problem. The stairlift is a wonderful piece of equipment. It fits everything we need and it's quiet.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPrice

Reviewed Oct. 1, 2023

Stannah was the best match for me for what I needed. Their presentation ran an hour and it was thorough, informative, and straightforward. Stannah is more on the expensive end. There are other places out there that do it for cheaper but I'm not really sure about the quality. Once I decided I wanted to go through with it, I had to call up Stannah and it was hard to get in touch with somebody to actually come out. They sent me in circles a little bit.

My stair lift is straight up and down. It is very high quality and very functional. You get in there and put on the seatbelt. It has a button for the footrest and on the arm, it has a maneuverable switch that you can go up or down. The only thing is when the guy installed the stair lift, he didn't take off the banister so it's tight. When the lift goes up the stairs, sometimes it hits my knees. I asked Stannah to come back to redo it. But they said, “Only a few now take off the banister.” But other places would do it themselves. I'm still waiting to have that done. That aside, I would recommend Stannah. Now, I'm able to get upstairs.

PriceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 30, 2023

Stannah's sales rep was very knowledgeable. He explained to me everything that needed to be done and how the stairlift would work. The installers were also very good. I got the straight model and it fits my home much better than I expected. The living area of my house is on one floor, but my house is built one level up from the street. So to get in and out of my house, I always had to go up and down stairs. And since I have trouble with stairs, the stairlift has made it much easier. I would have liked it to be cheaper but I accepted what the price was.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupSales & MarketingPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Sept. 29, 2023

My friend in England has a Stannah Stairlift and it goes around almost in a spiral. He and his wife have used that and he's moving here. So, I called the Stannah people and they came and talked to me and him via virtual call. The sales visit went very well. The salesperson talked to my friend in England and me. They discussed what my friend needed and then, the woman came a couple of weeks later and installed the stairlift. I had to go out during part of the installation but I came back before it was finished, and it was all done. She did it quickly.

My friend has not moved yet but I have a bookkeeper who has a bad back and finds difficulty going over the stairs so, she's been using the stairlift. Even I used it today. I'm waiting till my friend moves here before I reinstall the handrail that goes down on that side of the stairway because I still need a handrail and then, we can do the right measurement. I thought the stairlift was going to extend a little bit further on to the landing but it just goes straight up the stairs. And I just put the seat up and the arms up and it's fine.

Price

Reviewed Sept. 28, 2023

I went over the paperwork with the installer and he showed me where everything was gonna go and how to use the stairlift. Everything has been wonderful. I have post-polio and my legs are weak. The stairlift really helps me get up to the second floor. When I go shopping, I come home, and if I have three or four bags, I take one bag up at a time on the chair and come down and get the other. I like that the lift has a thing for the feet so I can rest my feet on it and hold something on my lap at the same time. Also, if my daughter brings the lift down the stairs and I need it back up, I just reach for the remote. There's also a remote at the top of the stairs, at the bottom of the stairs, and on the chair. Plus the stairlift is cheaper than I thought it would be.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedMaintenance

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2023

Stannah Stairlifts has a good reputation. They were the first one that we talked to. We went out to their showroom and it all seemed reputable. Someone came out here, did some measurements, answered questions. There was some period where there was some mix-up with telephone numbers. We tried to contact a salesperson. We didn't get replies quickly. We left messages but we didn't realize who was at the other end. So, it took a while. And when it finally became apparent, it all got cleared up. So, it was just a mishap. The installers were here for four hours. I occasionally walked down and I asked them a few questions. So, they told me what they were up to. It was all casual. The starlift was a good purchase. It's a good machine. It has a double rail, doesn't require any active maintenance, and fits in well. We're glad about it.

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2023

We got a stairlift from Stannah. They were the cheapest. Their sales rep came out, measured everything, and gave us the quote. Then, we told them to go ahead and put it in. The installers were great. They came out and they put it all in in one day and there was no problem. The stairlift is great. It gets my father and my wife up and down the stairs.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2023

The salesman didn't give me a choice of what model I wanted. He just wrote it up. I would have liked to have known if there were other options besides the one I got. This is also cheaper made than the one I had before and the installer could've given me better instructions on how to operate this because it is different than that.

Installation & SetupPricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Sept. 17, 2023

Rich was our guy and he was down-to-earth and very communicative. He had a good use of the language and he explained everything in great detail, so we understood it without even reading the owner's manual on how to use the stairlift and what we would get beforehand. As it turned out, we got that and it's exactly as he explained it. Then Stannah sent a woman by the name of Katherine and she was very talented. She figured everything out and she was very methodical without taking any breaks. From what I could see, she just put it right up. It was all done rather quickly.

We had a few other stair lift companies come in, and Stannah was the most expensive, but it was worth the money. It was reasonably priced because their features were more than what the others were offering. We use the stairlift a lot. We're getting a second one. The stairlift fits in well in our stairs and cosmetically, it's good. All you see is the railing at the bottom, which blends into the wood floor. I like the way it spins at the top of the stairs at the landing so you can get out of it. It has excellent quality. If we had questions after Rich left, he answered them and he worked hard to make sure we got the right time to have the stairlift installed. So we called Rich up to come and install the second one.

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2023

I'm very happy with the stairlift. Stannah did a nice and neat job. They were efficient. They did the installation in a couple of hours that one day.

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2023

We interviewed Stannah Stairlifts. And we liked what they had to say. They're very pleasant. Also, the installation was easy to describe and do. Stannah kept us in touch with what was going on while they built it. The stairlift helps my husband because couldn't get down the stairs. It's working fine. I would recommend it to anybody.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2023

I had a good experience with Stannah. The rep was very polite. He did his job and did it well. My chairlift comes all the way down and goes all the way up. I push the two side arms and the seat down and push the button. It's a good fit for my stairwell. Having this chairlift is much easier than climbing the stairs. I'm 77 and I have a difficult time. I'm glad I got Stannah. It has greatly improved my life. The ride is smooth and it comes all the way down and I turn around at the top. The speed is fine. It's not too fast and not too slow.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2023

The sales rep understood the questions that I was asking and explained everything during the sales visit. We got the straight stairlift and it fits into the stairwell perfectly. The installers were very efficient and knew what they were doing and asked if I was pleased with it. So, they were very good. The installation took a couple of hours the first time and when they came back two other times to fix the back of the motor, it wasn't that long. We put the stairlift in because of my COPD and two weeks later, we went camping and I fell and broke my hip. So, it worked out very well. I'm very happy with the Stannah stairlift. We had a few problems at first with adjustments but the installers came right out as soon as I called and rectified everything that was a problem. I'm doing very well and very pleased with it.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2023

The rep was very thorough and he knew what he was saying. He was very in-depth. The options they gave were workable. The techs were very professional and they showed up on time. They cleaned up after themselves. I was very happy with the service. The stairlift fits very well in our home. It's durable and it's working well. Now my mom can come downstairs and go upstairs. It makes her much more independent.

Installation & SetupPricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Sept. 14, 2023

I was getting all these high prices and then one company was offering 8 grand. Then Will, the salesman, got mine down to 8 grand by getting a used chair for the chairlift. It's a double-rail chairlift that goes up the steps and hangs a left. So I used Stannah. Two gentlemen came in for the installation. They finished in record time. They were very nice. They came from New Jersey to install the chairlift, which was amazing. They taught me how to go for a ride on it. The chairlift was structurally built very well. They took their time putting it together. They covered all the wires up.

The chairlift starts at the bottom of the steps on the outside of the railing and there are two round tubes that this chair rides on, and then it goes up around and it stays along the railing, and around nine steps up, it makes a sharp 90-degree turn and drops you off on to the landing. It's very nice. But the part for the step where you put your feet on is not performing well. You hit the button and it doesn't go down. I have to re-cycle everything in order to get it to go down sometimes for the feet. This issue didn't start till after the installers left and I don't know how to reach them.

PriceStaffWarranty

Reviewed Sept. 14, 2023

The stairlift that I had to purchase was an outdoor one, so it was kind of specialized. I had two quotations that came to the house, and I chose Stannah. The sales guy that came out was Moe. He looked at what I needed. I purchased the stairlift through their 0% financing. I didn't really wanna buy a brand new one, and he offered a refurbished one, which is just as good as brand new for me because of the warranties. The quality was the same, and you would never tell whether it was new or used. I was fortunate that they did have one. He gave me a price, and that was how it worked.

Right now, every time I use the stairlift, it is fine. I don't see any issues with quality. It works as how it was presented to me as. If somebody had asked me if they needed to purchase a stairlift, I would recommend Stannah. I had no problem with the quotation, and currently, from what I have right now, I don't have an issue with the unit itself. The warranty is there, and it's working.

Reviewed Sept. 14, 2023

The lady from Stannah came in, and we talked about the stairlift. She measured then gave me a price. I had priced it before with other companies, and the price the lady gave me was about average. I made the decision to get the stairlift, then they did the install. I gave a deposit, and when they were done, I paid it off. My wife has been using the stairlift, and it looks and works good. It’s got three turns and it seems to fit perfectly. I'm happy with it, and I would recommend it.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPriceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 14, 2023

I bought a Stannah stairlift for my elderly mother. I was able to do choose it via pictures and I measured. I didn't really meet the salesperson but she was very nice on the phone. We spoke a few times and made that they had everything that they needed on there before we set up the installation. My mother lives in a very old house in the front. There's this big open spiral staircase and it would have been way too expensive. Also, there are more stairs outside. So, we had to do two chairlifts in her back hall. It's really tight, but it's because the staircase is narrow and the stairlift fits there. Plus, I feel safer in it being with less space around.

But because the staircase is narrow, when you try to turn the chair at the top, the arms of the chair sort of hitting the railing. So, they're coming back this week to put a smaller armrest on her chair. Other than that, it seems like the stairlift works fine. I can do use it by remote control or I let my mom have full control on the chair. That would make her feel better to go at her own pace. It's a great concept and I'm hoping that once she gets over her fear of it, we can get her out more often.

PriceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 14, 2023

The rep with Stannah was very helpful. He gave us lots of information. The stairlift seems to be working well. It's made it easier for both my wife and me to get upstairs and downstairs. I'd like it a little bit cheaper, but it worked out fine. We'd recommend it.

Customer Service

Reviewed Sept. 14, 2023

I like Stannah Stairlifts. I've had them for the last 15 years and recently did an upgrade. The process was excellent. Once I decided what I was gonna do, I called them and they were here within two days. They measured everything and made sure everything would fit. I had the old stairlift moved to my cellar stairs and the new one put on my stairs that went upstairs.

Reviewed Aug. 31, 2023

The stairlift performs well. It makes going up and down the stairs a lot easier especially when we're carrying something.

Installation & SetupMaintenanceStaff

Reviewed Aug. 31, 2023

Tony, the sales rep with Stannah, came out to talk to us and measure out. He knew exactly what we needed and answered all my questions. Jen came out to install it and she was remarkable. She worked from 9:30 when she got here till 5:30 when it was finished. It's a very tight fit and if our stairwell was narrower by a quarter of an inch, we wouldn't have been able to put it in. But so far, it's worked well. It feels very secure. I am just waiting to hear about the status of our new motor to replace the defective one that's in the stairlift.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2023

The Stannah Stairlifts seemed to be sturdier. They had fewer problems. They also can take someone that weighs more than I do. The installation was very good. The track had to be custom-made because it was going up, not only from the lower level, it had a stop at a landing, and then turn around and go back up the stairs to the upper floor.

Installation & SetupStaffWarranty

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2023

Everything's wonderful - right from the salesperson, installation, the quality of the product, the warranty, even the handles on the chair itself. I like the chair itself and the safety features of the chair. I felt that the other chairs possibly someone could slide off of, where Stannah is not. I felt it was more secure. Also, when the salesperson came, how he did all the measurements, he was very particular and meticulous on everything.

Pinned

Thank you Sandra for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We appreciate your perspective on your Stannah stairlift and its enhanced security features. Ensuring the safety and comfort of our customers is our utmost priority, and we are glad to hear that you found your Stannah to be more secure compared to other stairlifts.

At Stannah, we strive to design and manufacture products that provide a reliable and secure experience for our users. Our team has put great emphasis on incorporating safety features into our stairlifts to minimize any potential risks. We understand that feeling secure while using a stairlift is essential, and we are pleased to know that our efforts have met your expectations.

Your feedback is valuable to us as it helps us continually improve our products and services. If you have any further suggestions or comments, please feel free to reach out to us. We appreciate your support and look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2023

The rep I spoke to was good and the installation was seamless. The stairlift is of good quality and it's working well for my mother. She's pretty comfortable and with it, she doesn't have to use the stairs. We've recommended Stannah to a few people who came to our house.

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2023

I was supposed to get my Stannah stairlift installed but it's an outdoor staircase and they got a rain forecast, so they canceled. But instead of just postponing it for a day, they postponed it for a whole week. So, I arrived at the house without any stair chair and I was not a happy camper. Other than that, it was a one-man install and he was polite. He gave us a little tutorial, which could have been a little better, but otherwise, he did a great job. The stairlift has worked fine so far and it has enabled me to get out of the house and get to the doctor. Without it, I don't know whether I would have been able to use this house.

Dear Pete,

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide excellent customer service, and we regret that we did not meet your expectations in terms of rescheduling the installation promptly. We appreciate your feedback and will take it into consideration to improve our processes in the future.

We are glad to hear that the installer was polite and that the stairlift has been working well for you. It is our goal to ensure that our customers can safely and comfortably navigate their homes, and we are pleased to know that your Stannah has enabled you to get out of the house and visit the doctor.

We appreciate your understanding and patience during the rescheduling process, and we hope that the overall positive experience with the installation and functionality of your stairlift will outweigh any inconvenience caused. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Thank you for choosing Stannah, and we wish you continued satisfaction with your stairlift.

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2023

The salesperson was good and we are happy with the product. The installation was very professional. My mother is using the product regularly. She is very happy with it. The stairlift is of excellent quality.

Pinned

Thank you Phil for taking the time to share your positive experience with us! We are thrilled to hear that you are happy with both our salesperson and the product itself. Our team takes pride in providing excellent service and ensuring a professional installation process.

It brings us great joy to know that your mother is using the stairlift regularly and is very satisfied with its quality. We strive to offer products that are not only reliable but also enhance the lives of our customers. Your feedback serves as a motivation for us to continue delivering top-notch products and services.

If you or your mother have any further questions or need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out. We are always here to help. Thank you once again for choosing our company, and we appreciate your kind words.

Installation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Aug. 12, 2023

I called Stannah and we set up an appointment, and they came. It was fast. The reps explained things in a cleared manner. In the first day of installation, two people working and then the next day, the same guys came. They were both good. It was a good experience.

Installation & SetupPriceStaff

Reviewed Aug. 12, 2023

We knew we wanna get the Stannah stairlift but we made sure my father was home and healthy first to invest in it. It was almost a token when he gets back from rehab. So, getting the stairlift installed took under six weeks. It was nobody's fault but time. My only thing is I never got confirmation that the installers were coming. I had to reach out to them. But as soon as I reached out, the sales rep was very responsive and I was given the window of 11:00 to 2:00, and the installers were there at the strike of 11:00, which was perfect. We needed to know about the time because it was at my parents’ home.

The quality is awesome and I would recommend it. I wish the price was negotiable but you get what you pay for. Being a recent amputee, my father doesn't have to worry about never going downstairs where he enjoys his man cave. That right there has been worth the investment and he's only been down a handful of times, so I can't wait to celebrate the holidays and everything else upcoming without asking how we are gonna get him downstairs.

Pinned

Thank you Jennifer for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are glad to hear that you chose Stannah for your stairlift and that the installation process was completed within a reasonable timeframe. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by not receiving confirmation about the installers' arrival, but we are pleased to know that our sales representative was responsive and provided you with a specific time window.

We are delighted to hear that the quality of our stairlift has met your expectations and that it has made a significant positive impact on your father's life. It is wonderful to know that he can now easily access his man cave without any worries. We understand that the price may seem high, but we believe in providing a reliable and durable product that ensures the safety and comfort of our customers.

We appreciate your recommendation and are thrilled to be a part of making your upcoming holidays and future celebrations more enjoyable without the concern of navigating the stairs. If you have any further questions or need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Thank you again for choosing Stannah.

StaffEase of Use

Reviewed Aug. 12, 2023

The person who came down to demonstrate the Stannah Stairlift to us was very nice and knowledgeable. I was thinking maybe they would have to attach it to the wall, but after he got through talking to us, he said, "No, it's not intrusive." They just attach it to the stairs and if we ever had to take it out, there would be no damage to any part of the stairwell. It's attached to the stair treads and they fill it in a little bit. We've had it for a month now and it does the job. It does what we intended it. It's easy to use. It's no muss, no fuss. It's got very few controls for my wife. When she gets in it, she feels safe.

Reviewed Aug. 12, 2023

Michelle, the rep, was good and explained everything. One stairlift is outside and another one is inside. The installation went very well on both of them and the quality seems very well so far. The stairlift made life a lot better and Stannah is the way to go. It's better than the other ones.

Pinned

Thank you Tim for taking the time to share your positive experience with Stannah! We are thrilled to hear that Michelle, our representative, provided you with excellent service and explained everything thoroughly. We take pride in ensuring our customers have a clear understanding of our products and their installation process.

We are delighted to know that both the indoor and outdoor stairlift installations went smoothly and that you are satisfied with the quality of our products. At Stannah, we strive to provide reliable and durable stairlifts that enhance the lives of our customers, and we are glad to hear that your stairlift has made a significant improvement in your daily life.

Your kind words about Stannah being the preferred choice over other brands mean a lot to us. We continuously work hard to maintain our reputation for delivering top-notch products and exceptional customer service. Your endorsement reinforces our commitment to providing the best stairlift solutions in the market.

If you have any further questions or need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We appreciate your trust in Stannah and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Installation & SetupPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Aug. 12, 2023

The crew who installed the Stannah stairlift were quick, polite and efficient. It was good. The stairlift functions perfectly. It’s for my mother.