4.7/5 (224 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Stannah Stairlifts

Stannah Stairlifts provides stair lifts to customers throughout the U.S. and Canada to help them stay mobile and independent as they age in place. Its offerings include straight, curved and outdoor stair lift models. Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and -operated company since it was founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867.

Pros

• Straight, curved and outdoor designs
    • Rental option
    • Special model for limited flexibility

Cons

• Some options vary by dealer
    • No weight limits over 350 pounds

Bottom Line

Stannah Stairlifts does a good job catering to the mobility needs of its clients. Multiple models can work on both straight and curved staircases, and the Sadler can accommodate people that have trouble sitting.

Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: July 14, 2022

My mom and I met with Stannah's reps and she liked that the tracks are not exposed to the dust. During the installation, we were told that it would take two to four hours, but the installers were done in about three and a half. It was a very simple installation. I'm an electrician and I put a plug-in for them so they didn't have to run a cord in an unsightly manner. Everything looks clean and neat, and nothing is banged up or gouged. We were very happy with the installation and the people that we dealt with during the install as well as the salesman.

So far, we're happy with with our stairlift. My mom is up and down the stairs three to four times a day and my grandchildren thinks it's Disney World, so they've gone on it a few times. It runs smoothly and there are no jerking motions. But the push button doesn't make that foot portion go up and down like it did when we first put it in. It’s probably a switch in the wrong spot. But my Mom is not really caring about it and she leaves it down all the time anyway.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Christopher for your Stannah Stairlifts review. We're glad your mother is able to get up and down the stairs as often as she wants with her new stairlift. If you ahve any concerns please give Service a call at 1-888-272-4327.

The Stannah Team

Original review: July 13, 2022

The installers were fantastic, very professional, and organized. They were in and out and there was no craziness. Our stairlift works great and my Dad loves it. Stannah is the way to go. But we had to jump through six hoops to get signed off of the paperwork that we were having the stairlift put in for medical reasons and not cosmetic to get the taxes waived. And when you're talking about that kind of money, it's a significant tax credit. So, that was the biggest pain in the butt about the whole process but it had more to do with the federal government than anything else.

Original review: July 12, 2022

The rep explained everything and did a very thorough job. He was also very polite and we were very happy with him. We bought the straight stairlift and it's fitting our stairway very well. It's a very narrow stairway, and as long as we have the foot rest, the seat, and the armrests up, I can get by it easily. The stairlift works perfectly, too. It's a little slow, but you can't have a racing thing going up and down your stairs.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Ronald and Jeanne for your five star Stannah Stairlifts review. We're glad your stairlift is working perfectly for you and your experience was such a good one.

The Stannah Team

Original review: July 11, 2022

We were looking to get an elevator this time because the staircase is very narrow but it's a lot more expensive for an elevator than the stairlift. So, we got two stairlifts, one for each level of the stairs, because it's very tight and it worked out good. Everything was done timely. A guy came in and spent the whole day working on it because it was a complex system with the two separate stairlifts. My wife uses the Stannah stairlift. It was extremely difficult to get her upstairs. Now, she can come up whenever she wants. So, it gives her a lot more freedom and flexibility. The quality and design are excellent. We were happy with the previous one as well. We haven't had any problems with the new one so far.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Scott for your five star review! We're glad your Stannah stairlifts have given your wife the freedom and flexibility she needs.

The Stannah Team

Original review: July 10, 2022

I got a straight stairlift and it fits very good on the stairwell. It has helped my life a lot. The guy who installed it was here for four hours and he was very nice. So, it went well.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Jack for sharing your feedback. We're glad your Stannah experience was so nice and your new stairlift is helping you so much.

The Stannah Team

Original review: July 9, 2022

The rep from Stannah explained everything thoroughly. The stairlift goes straight up and then pivots at the top. The system is good.

Original review: July 8, 2022

The reps did a good job. They were professional and knew exactly what they were doing. They did the installation fairly quickly. We did a swivel top and bottom and it's a little tight in the stairwell, but they only had but so much room to work with. I wish the stairlift was a little smaller. Getting past it sometimes is not easy but it works fine.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Bernadette for your review. We're glad your experience with Stannah Stairlifts was quick and professional.

The Stannah Team

Original review: July 7, 2022

It was a spectacular experience with Stannah from my phone call interactions with the sales team to my visit to the showroom. They were wonderful to work with. I had an in-home visit by the same person from the showroom and he was awesome. We love the stairlift. It's worked like a charm. It's worked as it was intended to. The quality is seamless and we hope it continues to maintain the quality that it's shown so far. It makes absolutely no noise, which was a concern going in. It is so user-friendly too. It's made a world of difference in our lives ‘cause now my mom has mobility that she needs to get up and down and get around the house.

Original review: July 6, 2022

I liked that the product is made by Stannah and not outsourced to an outside company. I also liked the availability of the product. A gentleman came out, reviewed the options, came up with a quote for us on the spot, and set something up a couple of weeks later. The installation was quick and efficient. The stairlift seems to be doing what it's supposed to do.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Shayne for your five star Stannah stairlifts review. We're glad to hear your stairlift is working well for you.

The Stannah Team

Original review: July 5, 2022

I had a very good experience with Stannah Stairlifts. They have very friendly workers. I found Stannah to be much better than the others price-wise and the way they conduct their business. The installation went very well. The stairlift looks brand-new even though we bought a used one. You would never know that it was used. I will highly recommend Stannah.

Original review: July 4, 2022

Stannah's sales rep and installation team were very professional, pleasant and easy to talk to. I had no idea that the work could be completed so quickly. The stairlift failed a couple of times, but by reading their little booklet and by understanding how it works a bit, I was able to get it going without calling anybody. It's worked perfectly the last few days. The only thing is the way it's marketed. I was not told that there was an additional thing I could do for quite a bit of money. It's $500, which automates the turning of the device when it reaches either the top or the bottom. It was not mentioned from the start. The saleswoman who came out did not say anything about it whatsoever. We discovered it.

When the installers put the product in, the stairs are a little narrow. So, if it gets to the bottom of the stairs and I have to get out or it leaves me without it turning, it's awkward and uncomfortable. I was told, at that point, by the two guys that were installing it that they had a fix for that and it is $500. I felt that that was a little bit of a scam and that I should have been told about that as part of the original package. I also had to contact the saleswoman about something in connection with the job, and a couple of times when I tried to reach her and left a message, I did not get a call back one time. Other than that, I had it done and I'm very pleased with the result.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Mr. Krueger for your feedback. We are sorry if there was any miscommunication about the powered swivel. This is a key optional feature we advertise regularly online and in print media. It was certainly not our intention to hide this information from you or anyone else. Otherwise, we're glad to hear your stairlift is working well and you are satisfied with it. If you have any additional concerns regarding your installation please reach out to our service department: 1-888-272-4327.

The Stannah Team

Original review: June 29, 2022

When they installed, I paid for an upgrade because I told them, "I'm a tall drink of water, so I need height as well as width." They gave me the width, but they didn't do the height. Then, the rep says, "It may cost you $199." I said, "I bought it and I paid 1,200 or 1,300 for an upgrade. Now, you're going to hit me for $200 to adjust the seat that should have been done at the beginning?" She said, "Weren't you there?" I said, "No, I was in the hospital." They better not charge me because I won't pay for it. I'm upset about it. They have a good reputation and they did a good job installing it. All of a sudden, they're nickel and diming me to death.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Bob for sharing your feedback and concerns. We have reviewed your account and there was not an additional charge. We apologize for any confusion. Otherwise it's good to here you have the stairlifts installed that best suit your needs.

The Stannah Team

Original review: June 26, 2022

The rep and crew of Stannah were very good. I like the stairlift very well. However, I have an unfavorite feature. We have a split-level and we have to because we didn't have enough room and a little landing to put one that went around the corner. So, we have two pieces. The bottom one, when it's downstairs here, it blocks the way to the garage. It continually beeps. I would love to get that beep turned off because there's only the two of us, there's no reason I have to send it back up the stairs and bring it back down when I want to use it.

Original review: June 22, 2022

Stannah was very professional, quick. and not bureaucratic at all. Our stairlift has been installed for three months now and it works very well.

Original review: June 11, 2022

The installation went well except the techs spilled a bucket of paint on my carpet. Now I'm in the position of having to get estimates to get it cleaned up. But other than that, it went fine. The chairlift has already broken once and it was a little annoying that the person who came to fix it said that there's dust on the rail and that could interfere. But with a handicapped person at home, he didn't even bother to clean up the dust, which would have been pretty simple. Other than that, they fixed it promptly.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Kim for your feedback. We are truly sorry for the paint, as it was an honest mistake. Our records indicate this has been rectified. We are only aware of one service call for a battery issue, due to leaving the charging unit unplugged. If you have any questions on simple steps for maintenance please give us a call at: 1-888-272-4327, otherwise we hope you continue enjoying the benefits of using your stairlift.

The Stannah Team

Original review: June 10, 2022

I got a straight stairlift from Stannah and it works. It does its job.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I'm very satisfied and happy with Stannah, and I got the whole family going up and down. We love the stairlift. It's very comfortable.

Original review: June 8, 2022

We were not happy with the installation of our Stannah stairlift. We ordered it on February 16th. It was delivered in the middle of April to be installed. Someone had mismeasured it, and so, they couldn't install it. They then said it was gonna be another four to six weeks to get it manufactured. It took about eight weeks. I was told originally the chairlift was gonna be installed the day after it arrived here. Then they scheduled it for about a week after that. One person gave us one date for the installation. I had someone waiting for four hours for them to install. I finally got through to them and they said, “Oh, no. We had you on for the following day.” So, it was not a good experience.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Hello Chris, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry for your post-purchase experience and any inconvenience that it may have caused you. We did work diligently to correct the rail issue as promptly as possible, and have been working on improving our communications. We hope you are now enjoying the full benefits of your stairlift.

The Stannah Team

Original review: June 7, 2022

My Stannah stairlift is very good and handy and easy to operate. It's very good to have. I'd have to crawl up the step if I didn't have it. When I come home, all I do is sit on it and ride up the stairs. I like its stability.

Original review: June 1, 2022

Stannah came, installed the curved stairlift on time, and gave me six months to pay the full balance. They were very nice young people. They came in, did their job and left. It's a sturdy stairlift.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Bernice for you Stannah Stairlifts review and for trusting us to help you choose the best stairlift for your needs.

The Stannah Team

Original review: May 31, 2022

My experience with Stannah Stairlifts was very good. It’s been two weeks since the stairlift was installed, and I like it very much. It gets me in and out of the house. I live in a second floor apartment, and it gets me up and down my main stairs. It serves its purpose for what I need it for.

Original review: May 30, 2022

Stannah Stairlifts was great. The sales rep was very professional, and the installation, which took a couple of hours, was perfect. The stairlift is spectacular, and now, I don't have to walk up the stairs.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Mr. Leto for your five-star review. We're glad you now have a safe way to get up and down the stairs.

The Stannah Team

Original review: May 29, 2022

We checked on the internet and compared Stannah with something else, and Stannah was better. We had one installed and it was okay, but the railing was in the way. I asked them if I could remove it, and they said, “There's no need.” By not removing the railing, they lost five inches of space and they had to come back later because when I was coming on the top, my knee was not making it through the door there. If the railing was removed the first time, it would have been better. Apart from that, the stairlift looked good and I'm very happy with it. I've already talked with two people about it, and I showed it to them and let them try it. My son also put in a stairlift, but it's made in China and it was only one year warranty.

Original review: May 28, 2022

When I was searching for a chairlift for my mom, I looked up a bunch of places and found Stannah online. They had been in business for a long time, and their warranty was pretty good. I called them, and everything went smoothly. We had a very pleasant experience, and we love the chairlift. It makes life more convenient for my mom. It gets her in and out the house, which is exactly what it’s supposed, and there's no anxiousness. She feels safe.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Kimberly for sharing your Stannah stairlift review. It's wonderful to hear your life is easier for your mom now and she feels safe and confident on the stairs now.

The Stannah Team

Original review: May 27, 2022

The sales rep and the techs were very efficient. The stairlift's quality has been fine.

Original review: April 20, 2022

The stairlift works great. Once I use it, I'm able to fold it up and turn it to the side so the stairs can be used by my wife and other people. The installer was terrific. He did a great job in installing it and sitting down and explaining everything about it. The stairlift was very quickly installed and neatly too. It was done the way I wanted though I would like it to be a little closer to the wall. I'm pleased with the stairlift. I have spinal stenosis. I was able to get up the stairs, but it was very difficult and painful. The stairlift has alleviated an awful lot of that. It's made it very simple. When we shopped and I had to carry our bags, or when I do laundry and carry that up, that was a problem. Now, it's not.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Peter for your Stannah Stairlifts five-star review. We're glad you now have a way to get up and down stairs pain-free.

The Stannah Team

Original review: April 13, 2022

The salesman was very nice and helpful. He took his time. There was no rushing and pressure. He gave me a bunch of options to look at. It was a very good interaction. The installer was here exactly at the time he said he would be here. He went about his business in my basement. The chairlift was put in to get from the first floor of our ranch style house down to the basement so that I could get my wife to the car. At any rate, he took care of business.

The installer was here for a couple of hours and then he showed us how to operate it. He spent another 20 minutes here after he was all done installing, making sure that we knew everything that we needed to know. He answered all of our questions, and it was great. He did a great job. The chairlift is solid. I was able to get my wife to use the chair several times without hesitation. She surprised me at how well it went. For a brief period of time, it made it possible for me to get my wife out of our house to create moments of joy in her life.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Mr. Brunelle for sharing your Stannah stairlift review. We're glad to hear your stairlift was able to to provide joy for your wife.

The Stannah Team

Original review: April 10, 2022

The sales rep was wonderful and he did a great job. He was tremendously knowledgeable. The stairlift is very nice.

Original review: April 9, 2022

My experience has been very good. We put a second stairlift in so now, I have access to my basement where we put all of the extra cooking things. The stairlift for the basement is more high-tech so it's a bit more confusing for me. It has the lift part at the bottom, the railing lifts up. So, if somebody is delivering salt for our water system, they don't trip over it. That was a bit expensive, but it was a necessity. Also, I have to push the button to send it 'til the bottom rail resets itself before it'll stop beeping if I have a few minutes of activity that I have to do downstairs.

However, there were no discounts or promotions. I said to the rep, I said, “How about a discount for being a repeat customer?” And he says, “Sorry, no.” It's just if you refer people. Other than that, the quality is fine. I would go with a Stannah because of the close track and you can keep your hand railing for the rest of your family. I had to put handicap rails up and down my wall just so I’d have something to hold on to.

Also, having somebody come to your home nowadays for any handicap stuff is very expensive. The stairlift gives them a code so techs can troubleshoot it over the phone. My older model didn't have that so they have somebody out. But I've had very little problems with Stannah and for that, I'm grateful.

Original review: April 8, 2022

The installation of our Stannah stairlift was fine. He was here. He did it in one day. I'm a little bit disappointed because I keep getting error messages and there have been a couple of times where my husband had to walk up the stairs because I couldn't get the chair to move. So, there are some definite glitches but for the most part, it does work. The quality is fine. It looks very sturdy. It's holding up.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Hello Karen, we're sorry to hear about the error messages. If you ever have any questions please reach out to our service department at 1-888-272-4327. Otherwise we're glad to hear your stairlift is now working well for you.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information