4.8/5 (188 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Stannah Stairlifts

Stannah Stairlifts provides stair lifts to customers throughout the U.S. and Canada to help them stay mobile and independent as they age in place. Its offerings include straight, curved and outdoor stair lift models. Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and -operated company since it was founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867.

Pros

• Straight, curved and outdoor designs
  • Rental option
  • Special model for limited flexibility

Cons

• Some options vary by dealer
  • No weight limits over 350 pounds

Bottom Line

Stannah Stairlifts does a good job catering to the mobility needs of its clients. Multiple models can work on both straight and curved staircases, and the Sadler can accommodate people that have trouble sitting.

Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

The sales rep was very knowledgeable. Their communication was easy to understand. The installer even offered to get the grease stains from the previous installation off the wall. They cut around the carpet so it would be really easy to reupholster it going down the stairs. They were very thoughtful and warm personality-wise. The stairlift is good. It's a refurbished unit but it does everything that it's supposed to do. It's holding up fine.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Mike for sharing your Stannah Stairlifts experience. We're glad to hear your experience surpassed expectations and your reconditioned Stannah stairlift is in excellent working condition.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 16, 2022

The sales rep from Stannah was a nice and pretty cool guy. He was polite. I knew about the product because I was searching the internet but he said, “Any more questions, just give me a call.” He gave me his business card. The product is a good-looking chair. It looks good quality. My mother likes it. It makes life easier for her.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

At first, I didn't really like Stannah. They never had any flyers to tell me about the prices. It seems like they kind of hold the prices off the top of their head. There was never any hard numbers or brochure saying, “This is what it costs.” I didn't like the salespeople and I think I could have done better somewhere else on the price. The installing guy was the best. He was an older gentleman. He was very knowledgeable. His work was impeccable in the installation, the cleanliness, how he cleaned up everything, and how he explained everything. He stayed here until we were very comfortable with it. We like our stairlift.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Herbert for sharing your feedback. We do list ballpark prices on our website, anything more detailed requires an understanding of your stairs and needs. Otherwise, we're glad your installation experience was up to our standards and you are enjoying your new stairlift.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

Stannah's visit went well. The installers came here and did what they had to do, and there were no problems. I got an indoor stairlift. It goes up the stairs.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

Stannah's product was very good. Someone came and went through the details with me, and it was very nice. The installer was great. He did it very quickly and spent as much time as I needed to go over all the functionality so I could show her how to use it.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Christine for your review of Stannah Stairlifts. We're glad your experience was helpful and thorough and you are happy with your stairlift.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

The sales rep was good. He was professional and polite. The stairlift is very helpful because my husband can't walk up and down the stairs. Everything is pretty good.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

When the lady came, she was very nice and pleasant. She did the measure up, and we decided right there and then we wanna stay with Stannah. The gentleman that came and put in the stairlift was clean, neat, and pleasant. So everything was great. The stairlift is beautiful. It's working well.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Karen for sharing your Stannah Stairlifts experience and rating Stannah five-stars. It's great to hear your stairlift is working well and your sales and installation experience were pleasant and helpful.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

They came and installed the stairlift on time perfectly. There were no surprises with the money, what they quoted was paid, and the Stairlift is the best thing we ever did for my father. This thing turned out to be perfect. It was a pleasant experience. The company was great and everything was perfect. My father loves the stairlift.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

The man that came out was very nice. The piece looked good. Everything was fine, except it's not responding the way it should. I'm a little disappointed in the Stannah stairlift. The foot piece does not come up as quickly as it did in the beginning. I called last week and asked somebody to come and do something about it or let me know what I can do about it. I got ahold of some woman, and she said that they would call me back the following week. But nobody has returned my call. This is a brand new one. If this is the response I get now, I can't imagine what I would get if I owned it for a couple of years. So I'm not happy with the Stannah.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Florence for your feedback. We do aim to respond in a timely manner to all service calls, and are sorry to hear that was not your experience. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We are glad your issue was resolved. Please do not hesitate to contact us regarding any other questions or concerns that arise.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

The salesman was very cooperative and explained everything in detail. His name was Mo. He was very informative. He took measurements and pictures. He presented Stannah as a better way for me to get a stairlift. The stairlift works very well. I'm pleased by the aesthetic look of it and it compliments my coloring. It's a blessing to go up and down now without having to worry about dealing with climbing the stairs with my bad knees. Also, it's a comfort to know that I have that help. So, I'm more than happy that I got it. The expense was worth it. My children are happy that they don't have to worry that I might go up and down and fall. Not only that, I don't have to put the pressure and support of my knees that aren't that good, and make going up and down much easier.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

I like the stairlift. Now, I don't have to worry about catching my breath when I go up the stairs because I need a double lung transplant and going up the stairs is always a chore. Before having the stairlift, once I came down, I usually stay. But now, I can go back up if I have to.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Michael for your five-star Stannah Stairlifts review. It's wonderful to hear how much your new stairlift is helping you get up and down your stairs whenever you want!

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

They answered my email and questions quickly. The sales rep was extremely careful in explaining everything. I already had rails put on the stairs and he discussed how they could gain a few more inches by taking them off. The installation went quicker than I thought. Other than the noise from their machinery, there was no commotion at all. After they were finished with the installation, the X-ray technician was coming to the home, and he couldn't get the machine up the stairs. I had to get Stannah to come back and alleviate that problem, which they did within an hour.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

They came on time and they were very nice. They were also clean, respectful and polite. They did their job. They didn't fight with each other. They just worked hard for about three hours and it was great. They were pleasant to have in the house and we enjoyed them. We like the product and it seemed like it was good quality. Stannah wasn't necessarily the cheapest, but we felt that it was the best. But we're planning to call and have someone come and look at the stairlift because it's making chattery noises as it's going up the stairs in certain spots.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Anita for your Stannah Stairlifts review. We're glad you had such a pleasant experience with the Stannah installation team and you see the value of the Stannah brand. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us regarding any questions. Our service team can be reached at: 1-888-272-4327.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

The rep spent a good hour with us. He seemed trustworthy. He explained the product very well. The only complaint I have is Stannah Stairlifts took too long to deliver it. The rep came in late May and it wasn't until September that they put it in. But the two young men who installed it were competent and explained a bit.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

We got a stairlift for my mother-in-law, and it's been fantastic. A lady did the install, showed us how it worked, what we had to do to take it up and down, and told us about the warranty. She was excellent. The stairlift's quality is very good as well.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Bob for your Stannah Stairlifts review. We're glad to hear you're happy with the quality of your stairlift and your installation experience.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

The chair was on the lower level. But I kept hearing ticking. I was wondering why it was ticking. When I pressed the button, I realized I could not move it. So, I called the service. When the guy came, he said the machine must always be up on top of the stairs. The guy did a good job. I did it so far and it’s good. I get the grip of it now. I’d recommend Stannah Stairlifts.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

The rep who came and did all the measurements explained every step of the way, everything we'd be doing. The installer was also great. He was on time, he told us everything he was doing and demonstrated how to use it. It was a very good experience. The Stannah stairlift is also very good. It's working great.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thanks Karen for your five-star Stannah Stairlifts review. We're glad you had an overall good experience.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

The Stannah Stairlift is a good product. I was a little disappointed in one thing, though. The technician had to take the whole thing apart when he was here to install one of the options that I had ordered. It added an hour to his time and that was okay. But the right and left handles would not snap in properly. Every once in a while, it would pop out. But I got them good now because they haven’t popped out in the last two weeks.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Mike for sharing your feedback. If you have any issues with your stairlift, please don't hesitate to call our Service department at: 1-888-272-4327. Otherwise, we're glad your stairlift is equipped with the options you need.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

The Stannah rep that came out was very good. The stairlift does what it’s supposed to do. I wanted it all automatic so my wife didn't have to push anything. It's all operated by buttons. The chair turns around when it gets to the second floor 'cause the bathroom is right there once she gets to the second floor. It's also the perfect speed for her. She can operate it herself. We're very happy with it, so far. I'm very satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

The installer of our Stannah Stairlift was very polite. The stairlift is doing what it's supposed to do. We don't have to struggle to get my husband down the stairs. We would just put him on the stairlift. I also had no problem with the quality even though I bought a secondhand one.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Amadu for your five-star review of Stannah Stairlifts. We're happy to hear you are no longer struggling to help your husband up and downstairs.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

They were very prompt and put us on the list right away. They were also reliable. We called this Friday with a question and they answered it right away. As far as customer service goes, they've done a very good job. The installation of our stairlift also went fine. It was a new person, so it took a lot longer for him to figure out how to put it together, but he did it. We're happy with our Stannah Stairlift.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

I emailed Stannah Saturday night and they were at my house Monday morning. It was an excellent experience working with them. We had a good time with them. I love the stairlift. However, my mom doesn't live here. It's for her when she comes to visit me. So, it's an expensive equipment just for her to use a few times. But that's the only way I can get her in my house.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Michelle for your five-star Stannah Stairlift review! We're so glad your mom can now visit you thanks to your stairlift. Hopefully she will be encouraged to visit more often now that she can glide up and down your stairs with ease.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I've had a positive experience with Stannah. The quality of the stairlift is beautiful. It has made my life easier.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

The equipment of Stannah was pretty high-end, so when we had them over to do an estimate, it seemed like a good fit. The installation went very well and the installer was excellent. The quality of the stairlift is good. It's definitely increased my wife's comfort level with getting up to the second floor. That was the goal. We're happy with it.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Paul for your Stannah Stairlifts five-star review. We're happy to hear your wife is comfortably getting up and downstairs on her new stairlift.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

Stannah is a quality product. It's engineered really well. It's very strong and sturdy. My client is not afraid to use it. Also, their reps are very kind. They understand this market. With elderly people, you have to be gentle and kind and they are. The people are very well-spoken and they know what they're doing. The installers worked really hard. It was not an easy installation and they stuck with it and went beyond the time that they normally would work. They had to commute back to New Jersey to the warehouse and they did it. Even though they were gonna hit traffic, they didn't care. They wanted to finish and do their job. I'm very impressed with that.

Also, we had one thing where they have these posts that are support posts and at the top of the post, they have a cap and one was missing. I called the company and they called me the following morning and said they'd be happy to come over and put one in. By that time, one of the contractors found the missing cap somewhere on the job site and they put it in. I told the guy I didn't need a new one and he asked if I want them to come over and do a demonstration for the client. They were super nice.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

The agent was good. But we've called several times and there's no way to get through to Stannah. You can't get anybody to call you back. It's insane. The reason we got the Stannah Stairlift was that the salesman told us that they are local and if you need something, we can get them right away. But it's not happening. Also, the stairlift is too slow. You can go around the block by the time you get upstairs.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

The sales visit of the Stannah rep was wonderful. The salesman was very good and accommodating. Really answered all my questions. The installation was easy. It was one man who came. He put it in. He had to come back and make an adjustment because the chair got stuck and unfortunately, my mother-in-law was on it. She didn't realize she could just push the button and go back up. But they came back right away and made the adjustment, and it hasn't happened since. It’s fine and it's a good stairlift.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

I like the way they stand by their products and their maintenance policy. Their reps were also lovely people and quiet.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Margaret for your feedback on your Stannah Stairlifts experience. We're glad to have made such a good impression.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

The Stannah rep was very pleasant. The installation went fine, too. I thought there might be a problem because I live in a very old house. But none at all. They just zapped it in and told my husband how it works. I like the stairlift. However, I'd like it to be cheaper.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

The Stannah rep was very knowledgeable. He showed a video. Explained it to the wife. The installers were also very professional and clean. It's a very nice stairlift. Works well. We're very pleased with it. It's made getting up and down the stairs a lot easier. I love it and it was worth every penny.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you David for your Stannah Stairlifts review. We love that you love your new stairlift!

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information