Stannah Stairlifts

3x Award Winner
Selected for having one of the highest satisfaction rates for Best Customer Service, Best Experience with Staff and Best for Installation
4.8(1,389)
Author pictureAuthor picture
Author picture
Written by
Author picture
Edited by

3x Award Winner

About Stannah Stairlifts

Stannah Stairlifts provides stair lifts to customers throughout the U.S. and Canada to help them stay mobile and independent as they age in place. Its offerings include straight, curved and outdoor stair lift models. Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and -operated company since it was founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Straight, curved and outdoor designs
  • Rental option
  • Special model for limited flexibility
Cons
  • Some options vary by dealer
  • No weight limits over 350 pounds

Stars Rating

• 85%
  • 10%
  • 1%
  • 1%
  • 2%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?
    Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed June 2, 2024

Stannah Stairlift is a real problem. The one in the back hall constantly stops. We have to constantly adjust it. It never quits. The fellow came out and told us about the various things that could go wrong. We can fix some of these easily, but it's not worth what it cost us to put these stairlifts in. We purchased a stairlift because both my husband and I are unable to easily climb the stairs. There are two short flights of stairs to the second floor. The first flight goes to an area out over our garage, which is our study and our office and where we spend most of our time. So then we had to put one up the front stairs, which we have used probably 10 times. It, so far, seems to run when we try to use it compared to the one in the back in the house. The one that comes in from the garage, we have not used very much and that seems to work every time.

This one in the back hall, I really think we got a piece of junk. I think it was somebody else's stairlift that they returned and we got it because it doesn't consistently run. You can't call it sometimes. It's just one thing after another. The fellows who came out to explain it have been very nice. It's just I haven't bothered to call about the backstairs anymore because they can't fix it. I wouldn't recommend Stannah. You get the stairlift, and if they can't fix it, you're stuck with it. It does allow us to get upstairs with a considerable amount of aggravation much of the time, but we can get up the stairs.

Reviewed June 2, 2024

My wife had some difficulty with her back, so she was having trouble going up and down the stairs. So, she started using the stairlift and it has been a lifesaver. It's been fantastic. The sales rep was fantastic and the installer was wonderful, too. When there was a part of the housing cover that came off, the installer came out again and took care of that and answered a couple of questions. He was very good. My wife uses the stairlift about seven times a day and it's been very, very helpful. It made a big difference in her life. We're very, very pleased with it.

Reviewed June 2, 2024

The stairlift is a good product. It was an awesome experience.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 23, 2024

Stannah Stairlifts' rep was very responsible and professional. He triple measured. Called in to make sure that the numbers were right, came by afterwards to look at the stairlift after it was installed. Also, the installation was quick and easy. The installers were in and out in an hour and a half hour. They were very thorough and professional, cleaned up after themselves, and showed me how to use the stairlift. We had glitches, and Stannah came right away and serviced within 24 hours.

The stairlift makes my husband's life much easier. It saves him a lot of energy. He doesn't have to be worried anymore going up and down the stairs. It has relieved a lot of stress for him, a lot of concern for me as well. I don't have to be worried about him. Hold my breath every time he's going up the stairs. Tremendous quality. The relief in having that in the house is incomparable.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 23, 2024

The Stannah Stairlifts installers were polite, delightful, helpful and instructive. They knew what they were doing. They did it in the length of time that I expected them to do. Also, everything was cleaned and straightened out. My wife and I are elderly. The stairlifts give us the assurance that we could traverse between the floors without having to concern ourselves with a fall, which, at our age, would be disastrous.

Installation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 22, 2024

We needed to install a stairlift quickly and Stannah was able to do that for us. It took them longer than I thought it would to put it in, but it was done smoothly. The technician seemed to know what he was doing. There was no big mess. It went nicely. We had some difficulties after it was put in and Stannah had a service person here in a matter of hours.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupMaintenanceStaff

Reviewed May 22, 2024

The Stannah sales rep was very knowledgeable and gave me a bunch of options. My only negative is the scheduling for the installation. They gave me a window and it fell outside that window a little bit. Also, the communication was little bit vague because I kept emailing and I kept getting answers that weren't spot on. To be very fair, it was around the holiday time but I had hoped that the installation would have been a little bit quicker.

Also, I'm a little bit dubious about the stairlift. We've had it for five months and I've already had them back to adjust it once, something to do with the chain. I'm noticing on the end of it, there's a piece of rubber that sat between the tile floor and the end post and that rubber keeps shifting on me. When they came back to do the maintenance on the chain, they just cut off part of the rubber. More of the rubber is coming out and I don't know what that's all about. And the footrest sticks and it doesn't always come down. It's functional, but it's just a little bit hesitant at certain points. I figured that I wouldn't call for another service call on the footrest until I really needed it on the chain part of it. But we still have one more stair to navigate somewhere in the near future and I would call the sales rep again.

Installation & SetupStaff

Reviewed May 22, 2024

We've owned Stannah before so we have a high level of confidence in the product and we're so accustomed to them. Any time we needed service, it's been so efficient. So, we wouldn't even consider anything else. This last purchase, we called the place that we had purchased from before but they were no longer carrying Stannah so we bought directly from Stannah. It went very well with the sales rep and he guided us into the right product for us. Then, the installer this time around did the best job of installing it so it conserves the most space. The stairlift is reliable and it performs as intended. It enables us to have a family member live with us versus not being able to do that.

Reviewed May 22, 2024

I was very impressed with the rep from Stannah who came to explain the chair and I was very impressed with how much time she gave me. She gave me all kinds of time for questions, she didn't rush me, and she didn't make me feel I was stupid asking the questions. I was nervous about the cost but we talked about how we might work that. I felt good right from the start.

The chair itself has been wonderful and I like it. I've had two times when I got stuck in the sense of I didn't know how to work the snag out and I followed the booklet. A couple of times, I was able to work it out, following the numbers. But there were a couple of times I couldn't and I called and the person that would answer would try to help. Twice, they said they had to send someone and right away, someone came. They were very helpful and thankfully, it was always fixed right away.

Installation & SetupSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed May 22, 2024

Our sales visit with Stannah's reps was wonderful. They were great and there was nothing that they didn't cover. We got two stairlifts from them. We have one straight and one curved. They are perfect for our home and the best thing is, my sister is so happy with them. The installation couldn't have been smoother and the installers came when they said they were going to come. They were nice, very knowledgeable, and respectable guys. They were also very neat and there was no fooling around. They were in and out of here in three and a half hours, four hours tops. I would highly recommend Stannah.

Reviewed May 22, 2024

My experience has been great. Stannah came in and assessed everything, gave us a proposal, told us when the chairlift would be manufactured and where, when it would be shipped, when it would arrive in the United States, and when it would be installed, and everything was right on time. The installation was completed on February 8, and the chairlift has been working fine. We had a slight problem with some noise and they came out and fixed it. We're having a similar problem upstairs and I was gonna call them today and I'm sure they'll come right out and fix it. Overall, I'm very pleased with the decision we made. Not only to get a chairlift, but also to go with Stannah. I couldn't get upstairs or down without it.

Reviewed May 22, 2024

I'm very happy with Stannah. It's changed my life for the better. I was having difficulty going up and down the stairs. I'm over 90, and it just got to be too difficult. I was looking around and a friend who has Stannah told me about it and recommended it highly. We called and took it from there. The sales rep was knowledgeable and explained everything. He was very good, and so far, the stairlift is working very well. It takes up a lot of room, but then again, my stairway is narrow and within those confines, it fits. People can get past it and go up and down without using it, which is great.

Reviewed May 22, 2024

I got two other estimates from other companies and Stannah was on the high side. I would have preferred to pay a little less, but my sister told me that they love it, so I decided to go with Stannah. The rep and I had a good conversation. I got an indoor stairlift that goes straight up, but one option we have is the last piece lifts up because it was blocking about a third into the opening to the living room. The installer was excellent because he did it one, two, three and he was done, and the stairlift works great.

Installation & SetupSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed April 22, 2024

I did my homework and visited the showroom, then ordered a Stannah stairlift to extend from my basement to the second floor of my home. It was installed, but four months later I still can't use it. The chair faces the wall as it travels up the stairwell and it ends at the top step before my second floor landing. I was never told that the only way for the chair to face the landing rather than the wall was for me to manually turn it, pushing with my feet against the wall. I needed the stairlift because I have severe arthritis in my hip and chronic pain in legs, arms, shoulders, wrists, etc.

I said I would pay to have the stair lift rails extended by about 3 feet to turn the corner on my landing and face the doorway. Stannah says this would cost me $9,600 because they would have to trash the entire rail system -- all three stories -- and start over. The rails came in sections which were assembled in my home, so I asked why they couldn't just replace the last section and add the extension. They said that I could request that but it would cost the same as replacing the entire system.

Stannah never disclosed that any modification or repair of the rails would result in total replacement, and frankly it doesn't make any sense to me. I need the extension to be safe in my home and they have me over a barrel. And their "contract" is really a purchase agreement for the hardware and labor in one price. No disclosures at all. If a customer has a short, straight, wide staircase, the Stannah may be a good option. But I don't recommend it due to their disingenuous advertising and virtually non-existent disclosures.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Jan. 10, 2024

The Stannah Stairlift is a wonderful thing. It was wonderful for the short time that my wife used it. It's quiet. When I have used it, I would move it from one level, which is the resting level, to another. However, when it was out of place because it wasn't in this resting spot, it would signal that it needed to be moved back to where it generally would sit. That signal, if I wasn't ready to put it back for whatever reason, I would have liked to have some way of turning it off. I don't know if that exists. So, I would put it back to the level at which it normally would sit all night long. Otherwise, though, that beeping to alert me would be annoying. It makes you put it back where it's supposed to be and that's minor. But there might be some trick to turning off that sound.

Installation & SetupPriceStaff

Reviewed Dec. 29, 2023

I liked Stannah Stairlifts' availability and responsiveness. They were quick to get someone to come out and take a look to assess the right application. But I was a little disappointed. It took a bit longer than I wanted between giving a thumbs up and when it was installed. So, the representations made by the salesperson who came out to do the assessment were more aggressive than what was achievable. The price didn't change but the timing slipped by a number of weeks. What was something that was supposedly available for install within a couple of weeks took several weeks before it was available. Other than that, the installation went great. Also, the stairlift gets frequent use and works well.

Reviewed Dec. 26, 2023

The sales rep of Stannah was excellent. He was helpful. I first met him at a showroom, where he was able to demonstrate an actual stairlift, where other companies could not, and that made a difference to me. As well as when he came to look and review my area, whether it would fit, whether it would work, he was very informative. The quality of the stairlift has been good, so far.

Reviewed Nov. 4, 2023

I liked the presentation of Stannah and the way they presented. It took less than a day to install the stairlift. The quality of the product is good as well.

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2023

I found four companies of stairlifts. Stannah was able to get in faster than the other guys could. Everything went well with the installation. The installation crew was okay too.

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

The stairlift fits perfectly well into the stairwell. The only thing I'm really not satisfied with is I paid so much money and for the amount of money I paid, I find the seating not to my expectation. The padding covering the seating is so weak and looks so cheap. Other than those, everything is good.

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

The Stannah rep was very nice. The installer was also very nice. The stairlift is very smooth when it's running. It has a very sturdy leg system and rail system. It's battery-operated and works great for what I need it for.

Installation & SetupStaffEase of Use

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

I tracked down Stannah and told them that I wanted to meet with somebody. The person that came was the person who was going to do the installation, and it was very simple and easy. But I have a very unusual condition. I'm an architect and I knew exactly what I wanted to do. We did three floors and it was all done within less than a day. Fortunately, I have a very clean and open stair, so it works very well. It's not up against any walls and everything floats. But that has to do with the design of the stairs that existed before Stannah's railing came in.

So far, the stairlift does its job and it's very easy to use. But it's over-designed. For some people, it's absolutely what they need. But if I were doing this for myself, I wouldn't try to make it look like a really comfortable chair as it's not necessary. It's just something to sit on to get you from one level to another and I would make it much simpler than what I have.

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

I went to the place where they had the Stannah stairlift on display and I used it there. So when their reps came to my house, I understood what it was about. Initially, I was very careful about using the stairlift. But after a while, it was very easy for me. The stairlift works great and since I got it, I don't have to walk up steps. And that has helped me a lot, because I have difficulty with that. I use the stairlift about three times a day and it has made it easier for me to go from one level to another.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

Stannah's sales rep was wonderful and he went out of his way to do everything correctly. The person that we put this chairlift in for had a trial run and when he got up to go to the other room, he fell. I had to call 911 for help to have them come out and pick him up. The sales rep also offered to help me. When the chairlift was installed, it took two and a half hours. It's straight and fits in wonderfully in our home. I've used it for many things like my laundry and when I go shop for stuff, I bring it on the chairlift instead of carrying it downstairs. The quality is very good and we're very happy so far.

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

The installation was perfect. The installer went over the key functions. The Stannah stairlift does what it's supposed to do. In the beginning, we made sure that when my mother was going up or down, we were there because she still got a little bit confused when it got to the bottom. It slows down before it comes to a stop. She was wanting to get off then but she's gotten past that. We were going to leave it in the position where she can get on it in the morning to go back downstairs, but it blocks the stairway for my husband and I. I just make sure I'm up in the morning before she wants to go downstairs and I put it in the correct position.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

I probably could have negotiated a better deal but the sales rep seemed trustworthy and the installation went very well. It was more than what I had anticipated. There was more effort. I like the Stannah stairlift. I checked on the possibility of getting an elevator but this was easier, less costly, and less disruption. The stairlift has good quality. It's a little rough on the turns but I'm sure if I call them, they will come out and make any adjustments that I find necessary.

PriceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

The guy, Tony, was excellent. The guys came in and put the stairlift together. They were very thorough. It's nice and neat. The stairlift is a little pricey but I'm happy with it.

Installation & SetupPricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

It was excellent with Stannah. We like the product and the salesperson who was not pushy and very knowledgeable about the product and competitors' products. The installer showed up on time, went through the install for a couple of hours, and explained it. The price was a little steeper than some though.

Price

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

The Stannah salesman explained a lot more things, the reason how they're gonna do it different from the other company, which made perfect sense. We set a date and I gave them the deposit. During the installation, they were here for three hours. It was six to eight stairs that had to be done, and it went very well. It cost me $1,800 more than another quote that I had, but I'm glad I did it. I felt much better with Stannah than I did with the other companies.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

We like that Stannah Stairlifts is nationwide. They knew what they were doing. The amount of money they were charging was in the ballpark. In the morning of the installation, they had to call us early because the installer called in sick. But they sent a guy that was in charge of the installers the next morning. He came by himself and did the installation. He pre-made everything so he didn't have to do any cutting. He just put it together. We love our Stannah stairlift.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information