SimpliSafe vs. Vector Security
Find Home Alarm and Security Systems near you
How are SimpliSafe and Vector Security different?
SimpliSafe and Vector Security offer standard and customizable home security solutions with home automation features. Vector Security goes one step further in life safety with a medical alert pendant that can be connected to the system.
While SimpliSafe is wireless and easy to install yourself, Vector Security only offers its systems with professional installation. With SimpliSafe, you can choose professional monitoring or have the option to monitor the system yourself, while Vector Security only comes with professional monitoring.
Installation and cost
|Upfront cost||Build-your-own systems start at $135 with interactive monitoring||$99 to $199|
|Trial period||60-days; 100% satisfaction or return for full refund||One-year warranty on equipment|
|Contract terms||No-contract options available||Varies|
|DIY||Free||Build-your-own systems start at $135 with interactive monitoring||60-days; 100% satisfaction or return for full refund||No-contract options available|
|Professional||Included||$99 to $199||One-year warranty on equipment||Varies|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$15 to $25||$46 to $64|
|Monitoring options||Professional or self-monitored||Professional|
|Upgraded self-monitoring||Not offered||—|
|24/7 professional monitoring||$15/month||Starting at $46|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||$25/month||$64|
|$15 to $25||Professional or self-monitored||Free||Not offered||$15/month||$25/month|
|$46 to $64||Professional||—||—||Starting at $46||$64|
|Wired or wireless?||Wireless||Wireless|
|Camera options||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Panic button||Medical panic button|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Yes||Yes|
|Garage door control||—|
|Temperature sensor||Not listed|
|Mobile app monitoring|
|Notification/alert options||Push, text and email||Email, text and push|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Other integrations||Amazon Alexa, Google Home, August Locks||Smart plugs|
|4.8||4.3||Push, text and email||Amazon Alexa, Google Home, August Locks|
|4.7||3.9||Email, text and push||Smart plugs|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||2.3||4.3|
|Verified customer reviews||SimpliSafe reviews||Vector Security reviews|
|4.3||Vector Security reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
SimpliSafe offers wireless DIY home security systems with professional monitoring and doesn’t require a contract. Its systems work with Alexa, Google Assistant, August Locks, Apple Watch and more. You can choose which sensors you want, and a company rep will walk you through the process of selecting which equipment is best for your home.
Setup does not require drilling or connection to a landline, and professional installation is also available for $79. It’s easy to add cameras or sensors anytime, and the interactive monitoring plan includes unlimited video recording.
- Build My System comes with your choice of equipment and advice from security professionals on what sensors you’ll need in addition to the base station. The system costs $184 and includes a base station and keypad. Additional equipment is priced a la carte, including entry sensors for $14.99 each and motion sensors for $29.99 each. Motion detector cameras are $99 each. Accessories and batteries are free.
- The Foundation comes with one base station, one keypad, one entry sensor and one motion sensor. The package costs $229.
- The Essentials includes one base station, one keypad, one motion sensor and three entry sensors for $259.
- The Hearth includes one base station, one keypad, one key fob, three entry sensors, one motion sensor, one siren and one smoke detector. This package costs $374.
- The Knox includes one base station, one keypad, one key fob, six entry sensors, two motion sensors, a siren and a smoke detector for $449.
- The Haven package comes with a base station, four entry sensors, one keypad, one key fob, two motion sensors, one siren, one panic button, one temperature sensor, one water sensor, one smoke detector, window decals and a yard sign. The package costs $489.
SimpliSafe monitoring plans
- Interactive Monitoring comes with 24/7 professional monitoring, cellular backup, emergency and fire protection, unlimited video recording and video verification. This plan costs 83 cents per day and does not require a contract.
- Standard Monitoring comes with 24/7 professional monitoring, cellular backup and emergency and fire protection. This plan costs 50 cents per day and does not require a contract.
- Self-monitoring with Camera Recording lets you get alerts on your phone for every security sensor in your home system and see everything happening in your home on up to five cameras. Unlimited recording is included. This plan costs 33 cents per day and does not include professional monitoring.
What SimpliSafe customers say
SimpliSafe has mixed feedback from customers on ConsumerAffairs. Common themes in positive reviews include the ease of installation and monitoring through SimpliSafe’s mobile app, the cost of the system and the customer service team. Reviews from customers who had less-than-ideal experiences mention equipment issues and difficulty uninstalling the system.
Vector Security highlights
Vector Security offers home, business and multisite commercial security systems. You can choose standard or customized home security systems and purchase additional equipment, including a doorbell camera, medical alert pendants and buttons, smoke, detectors, CO monitors, outdoor cameras, smart locks and plugs, indoor infrared cameras, smart light bulbs and a smart thermostat.
You can control lights, locks, the thermostat and cameras from the Vector Security app. The company provides professional installation and can use equipment from an existing home security system.
Vector Security plans
- Essential Security includes a wireless control panel, three door/window sensors, a motion detector, SecurityCare Plus, window decals, a yard sign, professional installation and professional monitoring.
- Home Automation comes with a wireless control panel, three door/window sensors, a motion detector, SecurityCare Plus, mobile solutions, an indoor camera, yard signs, window decals, professional installation and professional monitoring.
- Connected Home includes a wireless control panel, three door/window sensors, a motion detector, SecurityCare Plus, mobile solutions, a smart thermostat, a smart door lock, an indoor camera, a yard sign, window decals, professional installation and professional monitoring.
What Vector Security customers say
Vector Security receives overall positive reviews on ConsumerAffairs, with happy customers frequently mentioning good communication and quality service from Vector staff. Some customers who didn’t enjoy their experience commented on issues surrounding their contract and navigating cancellation policies.
Bottom line: SimpliSafe or Vector Security?
One of the key differences between SimpliSafe and Vector Security is that SimpliSafe lets you install and monitor the system yourself. For those looking for professional support and more home automation, however, Vector may be the better option.
- SimpliSafe is best for DIY customers who want to do self-monitoring or want a comprehensive security system they can install themselves.
- Vector Security is best for customers who prefer professional installation and are looking for a complete line of home automation devices.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.