4.3/5 (205 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: May 18, 2022

Safe Step contacted me after the tub was installed to make sure everything was okay. We did have one tiny glitch, and they took care of that right away. I had done some research and determined that Safe Step would be the best purchase, the safest, and the best one for our needs. My experience was far better than I had expected. The installers were a little bit earlier than I had thought they would be. They were going to sit outside and wait. So, I hurried so that they could come in. My husband's disabled, and I wanted to get him out of the bathroom before they could come in and install the tub. They were apologetic, kind, caring, and helpful. The installation took so much shorter a time than I had anticipated. Now that the tub is finished, my husband is so secure. He can hold on to the high walls. He can go right in and sit down. There are lots of grab bars. The tub makes all the difference in the world in our lives.

Original review: May 17, 2022

There was no pressure, but great explanations and information sharing about the Safe Step tub. I was excited about it when I saw it, but especially for my husband who is disabled. They sold me and my husband, and he's hard to sell. My husband's afraid of falling and has difficulty getting in the shower, and this was an alternative for him that he could enjoy. It has so much to offer, and I’m really happy with it. I like the way the colors come on the water. The lights, the voice, and the sound, I just like it. It's a great and relaxing experience.

Safe Step gave us exercises to try, and my husband is trying some of them. He puts on his swimsuit, and my daughter helps him into the tub. We have a pool at our home that he won't get in now because he’s afraid. He can swim, but not now. He gets in the Safe Step tub every other night, and the water is really helping him, especially since he has developed an autoimmune skin disease called bullous pemphigoid, which puts blisters on his extremities. He experiences lots of itching too. Now, the blisters are starting to dry up. The water is so relaxing to him, beating up against his legs and arms. He just loves it.

The reps told me our door had to be pushed in and it was doing fine, and then it got too tight. It was also making a loud squeaking sound like it was gonna break, and it would have had I not called then. Safe Step sent someone right out, and the guy fixed it. Not only does the door open inward, it can open outward too. He did a great job with it.

Original review: May 16, 2022

The installers took the old tub out and put the new one in. The tub was a little bit high-priced. But I like the jets and the bubble bath. The thing I don’t like is it's too small. They gave me the dimensions but I didn't realize till I went to get in there and used it how small it was. Also, dirt clings to the tub, even after I wipe it down after I get out of the bath or the shower.

Original review: May 15, 2022

They did a good job. The shower is nice. It was a little expensive, but that's okay because I had to get it.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Purchasing the Safe Step was easy. At first, when I signed the contract, I didn't hear from them for a couple of weeks which got me worried that I had contacted the wrong company. But once they called and got things rolling, it went smoothly. The installer was good about what he was doing. He had to remove a doorway in order to get the tub in there. I was happy with how things went. I was totally satisfied.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I like the tub, but the salesman was not honest and even with great credit the financial company he used is terrible. The interest rate is 7.9% which will cause the tub to actually cost $35 thousand with the payment schedule. The salesman told me that my 40 gallon water heater would be fine, knowing full well that the tub takes 85 gallons to be able to use the jets. He also said payments would be deferred for 4 months. The financial company said 3 months, but of course started charging interest immediately, so at $50 per month interest, I don't feel it was actually deferred. I don't have space for a bigger water heater so I had to go with tankless, which including installation cost me $4,500. I am disabled and thought the tub would help me but all it has done is cause me financial stress. Unless you are wealthy, I do NOT recommend buying this tub!

Original review: May 13, 2022

It was a good experience with Safe Step. They were very professional. We had a tub in the master bath and they took that out and took it away. They put the Safe Step in, parallel to one wall. It's pretty nice and it’s a well-built tub.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I like the tub but I had trouble with the chair. This morning, I used the hand thing and it worked all right. But I had water on all over the place later on at the tub.

Original review: May 11, 2022

They were very polite and professional. The installation went very well. We got the Safe Step shower and we like it. We’re very pleased with it at this time. You don't have to step in and you have the leverage where you can walk right out. Everything is very convenient.

Original review: May 10, 2022

The sales rep was great. He explained everything. The installers were supposed to be there between 8:00 and 11:00. They got there before 9 o'clock and started to work and were out there. They were polite, took everything out and cleaned everything up. The quality of work done was great. I like that I can get in, sit down in it and have a nice hot bath.

Original review: May 9, 2022

It was a very good experience with the Safe Step rep. The installation team was also a good crew. I couldn't have been happier. I like being able to walk in the tub. I'm a 100% disabled veteran and it gives me a little pleasure when I use it.

Original review: May 8, 2022

The experience with the Safe Step sales rep was really good. We were getting ready to sell a house in another state. We didn't really want to make a purchase until we knew what kind of funds we would have left. But he was pushy on, “I can't guarantee this price after a week,” so we felt pressured into making a decision right there. We approved the installation because he also said that we could push out the installation until we had the funds. We felt the cost was pretty high but he said that overall, Safe Step was the best tub over any walk-in tub out there. It was made in America and the customer service was great. For their lifetime, if anything went wrong with the tub, they'd send someone out at no charge.

On installation day, the contractor showed up first, and they got to work right away, taking out a garden tub. But then they had to stand around and wait on the electrician. But the electricians didn't want to run the wiring under the house. They wanted to go around the house. My husband and I said, "For $20,000, you're gonna run the wire in the right way and it needs to go under the house.”

They said, “We can't go under the house because we've had people go under houses and then they get sick and they breathe in all kinds of junk.” My husband talked with the contractors and they called their boss, and somewhere in there, the electricians’ bosses called, and said, “No, you need to run the wiring under the house .” So they had to call their boss to get that approved.

From the get go, I was under the impression that the tub was going to be put in a catty corner. But it was not put in catty-corner. It was put in flush with the wall, which is fine. I just don't think it's aesthetically as nice as it could look. Once they got everything hooked up after the electricians were done, they ran water in the tub and checked to see if everything worked. The door leaked a little bit, so they did some adjustments and then told us to leave the water sitting in it for 24 hours. We did that. I tried to use the tub, but our hot water heater is not big enough to fill the tub and the salesperson said it would be. So I can't use the tub yet because I've got to put in another hot water heater.

The shower worked when I used it. My husband was hurting one day. He decided he’d try the tub anyway. So he filled it as much as he could and let the cold water run so that he could still use the Jets. When I came home, I asked him what happened with the tub because the floor was all wet. He said it leaked. He thought it was from under the tub.

The next day, I used the shower but the raindrop shower kept popping and would pop up, and then leak and spray all over the place. I said, “I'm not going to use the raindrop shower.” I moved it over to the handheld shower and finished showering that way. We called customer service to try to get someone else to fix it and that was Tuesday of last week but no return call.

I chatted. They said, “You gotta call customer service or email them.” I emailed them and they said, “You gotta call them.” I emailed back and I said, “I've tried calling. Nobody's returning my call.” The next day, I got a call after I called again. I explained to her what was going on and she said, “I'm going to have to put in a service ticket and the technician will call you to set up a time for him to come out.” That was last week sometime. Nobody called me the next day or that day.

I got a call from somebody. But he was returning my request for a service call and he was in British Columbia. He said, “Obviously, this got misrouted because I can't help you.” At which point, we contacted our sales rep and said, “This is ridiculous. For $20,000, we ought to get somebody out here or at least a return call the same day to get this fixed." The sales rep could have been more realistic, first and foremost, about the hot water heater. A 50-gallon tank hot water heater is not going to fill a Safe Step tub. You're gonna need something bigger. I also would have preferred electricians who would do the job the right way. I would prefer better customer service. I was told by the sales rep that when clients make a call, within 24 hours, they get a service tech out to take a look at that tub. But that's a lie.

Original review: May 7, 2022

The sales rep, Deborah, was wonderful. She explained everything and there was no pressure. She gave me all the information I needed, and so were the two maintenance guys and two electricians that came. All four of them did an excellent job, and they were fast and efficient. I like the tub. I like that I can turn on the jets and the air and that I can play my favorite music while I'm relaxing. Being able to use the chemical bath with potassium is also nice, pleasant, and very relaxing. Overall, Safe Step was excellent. They also offered me $500 if I was to bring in another customer.

Original review: May 6, 2022

Apart from Safe Step, I had a couple other outfits out here for us to look too, and they presented themselves pretty good. I didn't have any complaints. I just picked Safe Step because I looked them up and they had the fewest complaints, made in America, and parts came quicker. They were a good company, and they got to the install way sooner than I thought they would. They were in and out of here in five hours. There were five of them altogether. Two were electricians that did their job and left, then the other guys did the installation. Everything was great.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Safe Step had a knowledgeable sales rep. The installation went very well. The installers showed up at the time they were supposed to show up. They did the installation in less than a day and that was including the electrician. The quality of work they did was excellent. As far as the tub, I’m not totally as enthralled with it as I was before I bought it. It's sort of a pain that you have to get into the tub and then let it fill. So, you're sitting there for 20 minutes. We're getting partially wet and I realized there's no way to avoid that. When you're standing in the tub, if the drain is up until the hot water starts flowing, there's not much room to stand in there and you wind up stepping on the drain. You always have to keep hitting the switch to bring it up.

The filler in the back of the tub is where the back of the tub comes up so you can lean against it. It sort of creates a shelf. Where the back of the tub ends, they could have gone back another 8 inches and just made the tub bigger. But there's nothing in that compartment underneath that would allow you to stand inside the tub and not constantly be stepping on the drain while you're waiting for the hot water to stop flowing. So, if you're not sitting down, it's not that comfortable. If it was a little longer, it would have worked better.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Everything went good when I reached out to Safe Step, and the installation went fine as well. They had to come back the second day just to finish up little things, then right after that, the shower wand hose was leaking. Also, they had to take the whole frame of the bathroom door off and when they were done, they left all the cut marks on the sides because they had to cut the Sheetrock around the door to get the tub into the bathroom. It took a couple of weeks for them to come out to fix my aunt's shower wand and her doorway. Other than that, she is happy with it. The tub is working real good, and she likes the whole of it.

Original review: May 3, 2022

The agent explained everything very well, and then the installers walked in, installed the tub in one day, and cleaned up beautifully. So far, the walk-in tub is very nice. The entrance could be bigger, but other than that, I like being able to sit down and take a bath.

Original review: May 2, 2022

The salesman had a lot to cover and our interaction was lengthy, but he was fine. On the other hand, the installation team was wonderful. It took them half a day, and they were very good.

Original review: April 26, 2022

The rep was really nice to me and the installers were wonderful. I got in the tub and we had to play with the water. I'm tickled to death with the jets. Safe Step is the one to go with. They're the best.

Original review: April 21, 2022

The reps were absolutely great. The guy who looked at what had to be done kept talking and told us all the information. The three who installed everything showed us what was going on throughout the installation. It wasn't just, “Okay, now we have your tub in. This is what you do.” We have the jets and the microbubbles and those are really nice.

Original review: April 17, 2022

I love the Safe Step tub. It’s perfect and I'm looking forward to getting in it. I've gotten into it the first time, but I had problems with the faucet. I called someone and they came and showed me something. I'm happy that I have it. I would recommend it to anyone if they can afford it. However, I had called and I want someone to come back out again and help me because I kept having problems with turning the water on and off. It’s not like the regular faucet. There's something that I have to do with it that I don't know exactly how to adjust. No one has come yet.

Original review: April 16, 2022

The Safe Step sales representative was very nice, and the installation was incredible. Two guys did it. They took the hose all the way down to the studs and rebuilt it from there. It was a very good job. I was very satisfied, and I'm very happy I did it. I like the microbubbles. These are the old two sensors that had oxygen and it got rid of my eczema that I've been battling for 10 years. I would definitely recommend Safe Step to anybody.

Original review: April 15, 2022

The sales rep was okay, and while the tub cost a lot of money, I’m satisfied with it. It was up to my expectation and it does the job. However, I had to wait before I could use it, because when I first used it, the latch was too tight and it didn't go all the way down that metal strip bar. I thought it was secured and put water in. It flooded my bathroom several times, and I had to wait three weeks before Safe Step had someone come to correct it. That was really bad because I kept calling them. That was the one aggravating thing that I experienced from them. Finally, when I decided to call the finance company, that's when they sent somebody here. The guy came to adjust the latch on the tub then I was able to use it. I enjoy the tub. It makes it easier when I get ready to take a bath, and I feel safe.

Original review: April 14, 2022

The sales rep was very good. On install day, two guys showed up and looked at what they had to do. They went to work and knocked it out in three quarters of a day, and I didn't have anything to clean up after they left. Everything looked great when they got done. However, I need to call Safe Step and have them come out, because the tub is not getting warm enough for me. My wife also likes it a little hotter than what it's getting. Other than that, the tub is real nice. It has the air bubbles that come up and the pulsation massage at the feet and the back, which is really nice because I have back issues. I can change the color of the water too. It's got seven different water colors we can change it to, depending on our mood. It's also got the aromatherapy, a handheld shower, and a rain head shower up above, as well as temperature control so that the water doesn't get heated to a point where it would burn people.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I had an excellent experience with the reps and the installers showed up when they said they were going to be here. They took us by the hand and showed us all the things that they were going to have to do to the house in order to get the tub in. They didn't stop until everything was working. But I had another contractor doing work in the house and he made a comment that the installers used quarter moldings and his experience was that that was usually caulked. He said that over time, those plastic quarter rounds would turn yellow.

The only thing that occurred after the tub was in was the discovery that we did not have enough hot water to fill the tub and as a result, we ended up spending $3,000 on a new hot water tank. But that's okay. My baby is able to sit in the hot tub now. I'm completely satisfied.

Original review: April 12, 2022

My experience with them has been positive. The installers were very good. The spa feature is my favorite. But we need a bigger water heater because once I fill the tub, then my husband can't shower for a while. I recommend this for someone disabled.

Original review: April 11, 2022

I love my Safe Step tub. It's very nice. I like the jets. It makes me feel good. I like everything about it. I wish the door didn't take up so much room. I'm about 25 pounds overweight, but I know how to get into it really easily. I got a granddaughter I'd love to have to go in, but she weighs about 300 pounds, and I'm not so sure if she could get the door closed. You get to go in and get situated because that door takes the whole span. When you open the door and then close it, you've got to stick your tummy in and get your feet in the right spot. But once you get in, it's great.

The installers were very good. The first group that came was very professional. They cleaned up. They didn't use any caulking after they took some of the moldings off, but I guess they didn't expect to have to do that. The gentleman that put in the shower was very respectful. He was very respectful and very quiet, and he did a fantastic job. I really enjoy the product. Dealing with everyone was easy. Everything was fantastic.

Original review: April 10, 2022

The sales rep was great, and installation was good. It took most of the day for them to put the tub in because they had a bit of trouble. They had to remove some stuff out of my bathroom and resituate things. I like the Safe Step tub. I love that I can sit up and use it, and I can do exercises in it. It's not a lot of room, but I can push myself up and down with my arm so I can get some arm exercises. I also like the showers in it as well as being able to sit in there, and it does whirlpool around. So it gives me some benefits. I like the jets on my back as well.

There's a couple of things that I wish were different though. Unfortunately, my right knee is affected, and that's the knee that hits the door. There's no jet that hits that leg, and I really need it to do that, but just being able to sit in hot water is a good thing. The other thing is, it’s much smaller than I thought it would be. If I weighed 110 pounds, that would be fantastic. I'd be really happy and I’d fit in it great, but I weigh 230 pounds. So walking in it, I open the door and I have to turn sideways, squeeze myself around the back of the door, then close it. It's same thing with getting out of it. I gotta get towards the front where the shower is, open the door, and squeeze my way around that door again to get out, which is a little inconvenient for me.

I wish the door was a little bigger. It also looks like there's a little splitting in the seam where they put it together and did the caulking, so I’ll have them come back out and fix that part. Other than that, it's a great tub. My grandkids, my family and I use it. Sometimes I have to wait till 2 o'clock in the morning to use it because everybody else has been in it.

Original review: April 9, 2022

The sales rep explained the product and what it's all about, and it was a good deal. When the installation crew came in, they took the old tub out, put the new one in and were done quickly. No mess, no fuss. They did a good job. Also, the tub fit in perfectly, and I like the whirlpool in there. That's comforting. The shower is good with it too.

Original review: April 8, 2022

The salesperson was very good and the installer as well. He could have done the install in one day, but at 2:00 in the afternoon, he said one of the sides he was to put up over the wall had a broken teeth in the corner. He said he couldn’t in good conscience put that on the wall. He needed to go back to the plant, go back where he works out of and get a new one, so he wouldn’t do that in the afternoon. It was too far to go and come back 'cause it's an hour away. He came the next day and finished in half a day.

The quality of the tub is fine, but it took getting used to trying to remember all the buttons. I sprayed the bathroom floor when I forgot to pull the curtain before we turned on some jets, but we got it down pat now. I enjoy the tub, and we like especially the shower overhead. Just turn it on, jump in and take a quick shower without getting into all the other stuff. When you want a nice tub bath, you get into all the buttons. We're very satisfied with our Safe Step tub.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information