Rheem Water Heaters

Compare Water Heaters

Research top Water Heaters recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased a 40 gallon Rheem gas water heater June 2013, and as of Sept./Oct. 2016, it has already developed a bottom leak. The room is dry climate and in all the 40 years that I have had water heaters in this room, never once did I have a unit that developed a bottom leak. Rheem is apparently garbage these days. Not recommended.

I purchased a high end water Rheem water heater less than a year ago. This morning I had no hot water. I checked the circuit breaker and the reset button on the unit itself. NOTHING. I called Rheem and they said they'd send a replacement part on Monday--today is Saturday. This is not the 19th century. The fact that this unit failed in less than a year and the fact that I have to wait three days for a part is ludicrous. I should have heeded the poor reviews on this product.

Bought a new electric water heater. The 40 gallon professional series from Home Depot. I am a maintenance man for a living and have installed several water heaters with no problem. Got this one home. Put in new breaker. Installed heater. Never did get hot. Called the number on tank and went thru a checklist. The tech talked me thru and decided the thermostat needed to be replaced. They sent me a new one installed. It same thing doesn't work. Called Home Depot and they delivered another new water heater. Took a $100 dollars off the price. Installed the second one and it doesn't work either. So now I'm taking it back to Home Depot and going to purchase different brand. Second time this summer I have bought a major appliance from Home Depot and encountered problems.

It worked for one day then I had to call for repair, they shipped a part but they wouldn't pay for labor nor had a field service staff to help with. I had to pay for a plumber. 3 days later broke again and Rheem washed their hands off. Basically a brand new water heater that doesn't work. It is not on their radar for customer service. I will never purchase from them again nor I suggest anybody does.

We had a few issues within the first year of operation with our water heater, tripping our breaker and electrician thought he figured out the problem with the unit, despite it being properly installed anyway. Last night upon returning from dinner we walked into our home full of an electrical burning smell. Through elimination the results were that our water heater had blown out its wiring on the front electrical panel, as we could see black smoke all around it and coming from the unit. The breaker had fortunately already tripped from the over load, but we turned it off and cut off the water supply as a precaution.

We immediately contacted one of our electricians that is used for our company. He arrived today (following day). I contacted Rheem and the moment they heard the model number, he said, "Take it back to Home Depot immediately and they will replace it for you". After further investigation I discovered a recent total recall was issued for more than 54,000 units sold exclusively at Home Depot from 2014 to 2016 all for the same problem. Almost 300 reports have been made and one involving more than $5500 in damage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

I bought the Performance Platinum 50 Gal. Tall 12 Year 36,000 BTU ENERGY STAR Ultra Low NOx Natural Gas Water Heater from Home Depot. Use rush professional service installed 2AM in the morning hoping it will work and provide hot water for us, then it doesn't starts. Called back to the number provided. Diagnose with the technician on the phone for 30 minutes and then told me that the igniter is bad and need be to replaced. THIS IS A BRAND NEW WATER HEATER BOUGHT FROM Home Depot. Then technician told me that she requested a FedEx next day delivery to deliver the parts to me and should come next.

It is a day after and I called back to ask for FedEx tracking number. I was told that the parts has NOT shipped and then just requested now. Apparently somebody there did NOT do his/her job. If I did not call today, it probably will not be sent out still and I have to wait two more days to find out the fact. Really really bad product and bad service. I don't know what I can say. In a hot summer, our whole family cannot take showers before go work and school. How can I trust their product and their service.

Can't I get no stars? My water heater broke (leaking) after 5.8 years. It is still under Rheem warranty, so I called Rheem and they said I had to take the water heater back to where it was purchased to get credit or a replacement. I can't remember where it was purchase and I cannot even lift the water heater. My plumber is not willing to take the heater to where it was purchased without charging me the time which is substantial. So Rheem won't honor the warranty unless I bring the whole water heater, this makes no sense. In essence they are saying if I can't carry the water heater into the place it was purchased I can get reimbursed. What is that but a sham! I will never purchase a Rheem product again!

Talked to Rheem. Warranty starts when it is made, not when it's installed. Woman tried to get an extension but man at GE that made the water heater said "No go, you cannot extend it." So, since it's 2 days past the date, I have to pay $300 for a new gas valve to be installed.

They will keep stalling on replacing your water heater until you give up and buy a new one because you need hot water. 12-year warranty tank, only 4 years old. Already had to replace the thermocouple 2 years ago. Second failure now only lets it give hot water for 1-2 minutes and it's out. Since this was not my first bad experience with a Rheem heater customer support, I just went straight to a plumber. They told me the tank needs to be replaced. OK, next day I call support, they want me to check a couple things and get back to them, fair enough. Call back 2 days later, they have no record I ever called so we start the entire process again, and they decide to send me a new gas control valve even though the first person I talked to said that didn't fit the symptoms.

2 days later I get it, and install it. Still broken, call back again, by now it's been a week without any hot water, and everyone in the house is pissed at me. They want me to run a water temperature test AGAIN for a third time, even though I'm already well aware the water gets hot... it just runs out in about 2 minutes. They want to send me another gas control valve, even though I just installed a new one they sent me that day. Which I wouldn't get until Tuesday since it's a Saturday. Refuse to allow me to trade it in for a new one, and the supervisor tells me it's clearly a plumbing issue since the gas control valve was replaced and I checked the dip tube and it's not cracked or broken. He tells me just like a water heater, parts can fail in plumbing.

My copper pipes can fail somehow causing hot water to run out quick? With zero plumbing changes? Yeah, OK, they clearly are just coming up with any excuse possible to not give me a working water heater. At this point I need hot water, so I give up and go buy a Whirlpool. Hey, I have all the hot water I want now, turns out my copper pipes didn't break in a fashion that sucks the hot water up. Shocker, it was the water heater. $750 down the drain on a new water heater because their support refuses to actually help.

I have a Rheem hot water heater, 50 gallon, that is still under warranty. On Friday 061716 I woke up to no hot water. After checking the tank we find out the pilot is out, so we re-lit the pilot only to wake up on 6/18/16 with no hot water again. We called technical support at Rheem and we were walked through a few diagnostic steps. The tech tells us it is the thermocoupler and that he can have one shipped out. We received the part on Tuesday, now 5 days without hot water, and we had it installed on Thursday. One hour after the pilot was re-lit it went out again and we were not able to re-lit. On Friday morning we call Rheem again and speak to a supervisor named Shakira. Before calling we had checked online and see that this issue we are having is happening to a lot of Rheem hot water tank owners out there.

Shakira was no help what so ever, all she could do was refer us to repair companies in the area that we will have to pay. She also tells us that the tech rep that we spoke to on Saturday really was not qualified to make a diagnosis of what was wrong with our tank. I was lucky enough to get a company to come out Friday afternoon at the cost of $297... The tech tells me that the problem is the gas valve which is very common in Rheem tanks. He even showed me that the valve he was replacing the bad one with had been re-engineered because the original valves were faulty. It seems Rheem has a pattern of sending out the thermocoupler part, even though they are very well aware that the problem is their Gas Valve. It seems to me that Rheem is WELL aware that there is a problem with their hot water heaters but refuse to stand by their product.

What has happened to customer service and making things right for the customer? I have also contacted a local tv station's consumer department to see if they can look into this. If more of us would call Rheem out publicly and go after them then perhaps we could all be reimbursed for our repair costs as well as help the next person out that goes through this. I was without hot water for 8 days and I have read that others have gone even longer. I would never buy anything from Rheem, as they have horrible customer service and they could care less about their customers.

This is to anyone who is considering a RHEEM hot water heater. I just purchased the 50 gallon 40K BTU unit and I have had no luck getting it to ignite. I called the service number and they told me it was a faulty igniter. They gave me an option to have it overnighted or look for it locally. I found the part locally but they told me to check the igniter out of casing first because they usually don't fail. Long story short it was not the igniter. Through a secondary check the RHEEM tech figured out it was the entire gas control box. I now have to wait for 2-3 business days for the entire assembly. I just paid $600 from HD and my family has no hot water for 4 days! IT'S A TOTAL JOKE. DON'T BUY THEIR JUNK!

I purchased a 50 gallon water heater a week ago. From the day it was installed it leaked. I have had someone from the installer, Rheem or Home Depot at my house every day. They replaced a heating element and it still leaked. Now they are trying to blame me that it was not leaking, as there was no water in the pan when the repair guy left. Really... It leaks every time about an hour after they leave. Now, they tell me it might be the pressure valve and I have to pay for the visit and fix. Funny, old heater worked fine with no leaks, just old and lots of crud in the bottom.

In the last discussion, the Rheem agent told me that it might be an expansion thing that happens naturally and leaks into the pan. Now, I am beside myself and not dumb, you should never have water in the pan. Rheem/Home Depot, stand up and take responsibility for the products you sell. I pay $1400 for nothing but headaches and stress hoping the thing doesn't explode and flood my home.

Bought a 40 gallon Rheem water heater and installed, couldn't get it to work. Called the gas company thinking it was a problem with our gas. Not the issue. Called Rheem and they sent a part (that wasn't the issue either). Called them again to exchange the water heater and they said no, that if it was giving a code it could be fixed. In the meantime we were having to go to family homes to take showers. They gave us a reset code to try to reset it. It worked for 4 hours then went out again. Tried to reset it again with code and the damn heater blew up 6 inches from my husbands face. Lucky he was not injured. Called customer service, very pissed and they told my husband they would disconnect the call if he didn't settle down, didn't even ask if he was OK.. Finally got sent to claims. After 10 days of having this thing we are getting q code to exchange... Not Happy!!!

We purchased 56 Rheem water heaters for our senior housing community in Eudora Kansas. 12 of the tanks have had failures within the first 4 years of service. None of the plumbing contractors want to work on the Rheem water heaters because they were purchased from Home Depot and are told that parts are not easily available. We are slowly switching out the tanks to another brand that was recommended by our plumbing contractor. We will no longer be purchasing any Rheem water heaters.

We purchased a Rheem Water Heater (Serial Number M451401623) on August 24, 2015. Ten days later we did not have any hot water. My husband called Rheem and walked him through steps to try and figure out why we did not have any hot water. They told him a control valve went out and they would ship it overnight and we would get it by Wednesday. This was on Monday. A certified, licensed, and bonded repair shop had to do this and they would only pay $125.00 for the repair which we have to pay for and they will reimburse us. We were suppose to receive the part last Wednesday and did not receive it so my husband called again and they were closed. So he called first thing Thursday morning and they said the order never got placed but he called before the cutoff time - it would go out that day. My husband called again Friday this morning and they told him the order was not placed - it would go out today.

Which means if it does we will not get it until Monday. Not having hot water for 9 days if we receive it then. All we keep getting is lies every time we call. It was purchased at Home Depot and they originally told my husband he could just return it and get a new one but that is pretty expensive after paying to get it installed. We will never purchase another Rheem product!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem offers a wide variety of residential water heaters including gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless. Each water heater has Rheem’s National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) advantage meaning maximized performance and minimized footprint.

• Types: Rheem offers gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless water heaters with capacities ranging from 20-gallons to 120-gallons.
  • Point-of-use: Point-of-use water heaters are designed to fit under sinks or detached structures and can deliver hot water almost immediately. Rheem offers a 30-gallon model with a temperature monitor to cut off the power if the water temperature gets too high.
  • Tankless systems: For consumers looking for a tankless water heater, Rheem offers a variety of different capacity systems. Rheem designed its tankless water heaters to provide hot water to operate three appliances at the same time for an extended period. Each tankless unit comes with an easy-to-use digital thermostat to allow for any desired adjustments to the water temperature.
  • Commercial tankless units: Rheem has four models of tankless water heaters for commercial use. Each unit comes with a high temperature chip option that increases the output water temperature by 45-degrees. All four models are said to be 84-94 percent efficient.
  • Warranties: Each Rheem water heater comes with a limited warranty. Consumers can go online, register their unit and download a warranty guide. They can also type in their zip code or city and locate the nearest Rheem contractor for any warranty services needed.
  • Best for Consumers looking for a wide selection of residential, energy-efficient water heaters.

Compare Water Heaters