Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Water Heaters Reviews

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I have been without hot water for a week already. The main panel just stopped working. The unit is only 2 1/2 years old. I called Rheem. The Rep. didn't even hesitate and said she was sending me a new panel. I still am waiting for the part. What I find strange is that the Rep. already knew what was wrong. This means that several customers must have had the same problem with this model. I would stay away from Rheem, until the company gets their act together.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Broke in less than a year, needed a part that they won't ship faster than 2-4 business days. Took forever to reach anyone in 'customer service', everyone I spoke to was quite rude and couldn't care less. Apparently, no one at Rheem takes a shower on a daily basis. Just a horrible company, avoid at all cost.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Rheem 50 gal hot water heater stopped working. The hot water heater is less than a year old and all of a sudden the burner would not come on. On the front of the tank is a number to call a technician, available 7 days a week. The hot water heater went on on a Sat. The technicians are nothing more than a call center to take your information and create a work order. Your S.O.L. until Monday. It was explained to me, on a new water heater, most plumbers don't have the parts and have to order them from Rheem which is closed on the weekends.

I called Rheem on Monday to make sure the work order was created and who the contractor was. I was bounced around for over an hour and sent to a wrong dept. Recordings come on saying there are 5 calls ahead of you and it will be a 10 min wait (Not)! I'm still on hold for over 25 mins. After all this, I finally get someone in their contractor dept. This person confirms the work order and gives me information on who the contractor/plumber is.

As soon as I hang up from Rheem, I call the contractors and he says the work order is just coming in. At this point, the contractor can't fit me into their schedule until Tuesday between 12 and 4pm. Ok, worst scenario, I'll have to wait until Tuesday. BUT, if they have to order parts, my hot water heater will not be fixed until sometime on Wednesday. That adds up to 5 DAYs without a shower or hot water!! Also, I operate an AIRBNB. I had guests staying over the weekend. I had to cancel them out and refund their money.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Water heater (electric) dead after 4 years of use and flooded our garage. Rheem will not give any sort of credit or reimbursement for a new unit as they say it can only be returned to a plumbing supply store. They can not or will not deal with the public. No way to get a credit even with me willing to pay for a new one. Bad company, bad product. The Rheem AC in my office also went bad after 9 months, they've garbage as well. Spend a few extra bucks for equipment that will last longer and a company that will stand behind their product.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I purchased an electric 30 gallon hot water heater from home depot (Plymouth meeting,pa.) 06 Oct 2019. After plumbing the lines and filling the tank, the heater leaked from the bottom. I called Rheem and I had one of two options. Repair it myself and get reimbursed or wait 2 days for Rheem to send a part. Why should I work on a new unit I just purchased? Didn't like either option so I called home depot and they allowed me to return it for a refund.

In my stupidity, I purchased another unit, same as the first one because the copper lines were already plumbed. Yes, you got it, the 2nd heater leaked, this time from the top. Everybody is so concerned with American made products, this company is located in Alabama. Called the warranty dept and this time they tell me to remove the pressure relief valve and wrap it with Teflon tape. How difficult would it be to test the product before selling it to the public? This is an honest recount of my past weekend. M. ** (Norristown, Pa). I would not recommend this product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I hope future customers read and take heed. Don't buy a Rheem hot water heater if you desire a good product and even fair customer service. I have waited since July for a refund check, that I had to pay ($225.00) to the contractor. He refuses to work with RHEEM. I can see why! He only worked on mine because I am a regular customer. Today (2 months later) I called to find out WHEN I should be getting a check. I was told 4-8 MORE weeks. Because I didn't submit my cancelled check with my claim - therefore - it hasn't even been processed. No call from them to tell me I needed to send cancelled checks. That shouldn't be any of their business. SO HERE I SIT - at least I have hot water now, BUT for how long? Who Knows????

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I purchased a Rheem Smart water heater back in November 2018. In August 2019 the water heater control panel shorted out and fried control panel. I need to add I did not pair my smart phone to my water heater. I set the temp to 120 and went about my everyday business. I called the tech line around 2 pm and was told I had to wait for a tech to arrive to fix the water heater. That was okay until they stated there were no techs available in my area, so they offered me allowance of $125.00 to find a plumber to come out and fix the water. Well problem 2 is there were no parts available in our surrounding area and I would have to wait for 2-3 days to receive the replacement part. Of course I was not going without hot water for that period of time and a plumber around here is $185.00 an hour from 8-5 and $277.50 for after hours.

After they caved and got Home Depot to replace the water heater I downgraded to the basic and once installed it began to leak. Frustrating as it was I returned to home depot with the water heater at 9:50 pm and was given another water heater. Problem 3, I received the replacement control panel 4 days later and called three times asking to return it and "Jesse" says just throw it away, no need to return it. Rheem must be making money hand over fist to throw parts away like that. I'm a home depot customer and I buy what they sell. Hopefully they will start carrying another brand for customers to choose from. I do not recommend this brand of water heater for any home due to the poor customer service they provide. Seven hours to replace a water heater. Thank God I'm a do it yourself-er and don't have to depend on anyone to repair my home.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I'm helping my father get his Rheem water heater taken care of. It broke several days ago. I went to the Rheem webpage and called a local plumber listed on Rheem's website. When I told the plumber I have a Rheem device, he immediately said, "Oh, I hate working on those. Everyone hates working on those. Rheem has made it very hard for us to work on their devices, and their tech service line even for us pros is entirely unhelpful." That plumber declined to provide service.

I then called a second plumber listed on Rheem's website. They came out, evaluated the water heater, and concluded it was broken beyond repair and needed to be replaced. Fortunately, the device is still under warranty, so the plumber directed me to inform Rheem so that I could be sent a replacement. I called Rheem and was surprised that Rheem's customer service wanted me to do a bunch of diagnostic maneuvers on the device. Isn't that what the plumber listed on their website who came out did?

Regardless, I did as Rheem wanted. Finally, they conceded that it needed to be replaced and was under warranty. But then they said for me to take advantage of the warranty, I need to disconnect the water heater, take it back to the place of purchase, pick up a new water heater there, and bring it back to my place. The water heater is 75 gallons in capacity, and disconnecting and transporting a water heater isn't something the average residential consumer can be fairly expected to do. Requiring me to do all of that functionally more or less makes the warranty a non-warranty. Overall, I've been unimpressed with Rheem's service and "warranty."

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I have no idea how long this thing has been leaking. Much damage to the sheetrock in the garage where unit was installed and where it leaked into adjacent home closet. Much mold and must rebuild the inside of the garage area before anything new can be installed. Rheem told me that the water pressure to my home was insufficient, but had that checked by the city and the pressure was perfect. So far I'm getting a runaround from Home Depot. They want me to remove it and bring it in to them for inspection!!! (No kidding). I would not recommend this product or Home Depot. I can't remove this myself and would need a plumber. I would rather put the $ toward a new unit.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Took 9 calls and emails (and about 2 months) to get a form letter telling me that the faulty part they installed two months before wouldn't be refunded. Look for other brands if you want reliability and customer service is my advice...

Rheem Water Heaters expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem offers a wide variety of residential water heaters including gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless. Each water heater has Rheem’s National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) advantage meaning maximized performance and minimized footprint.

• Types: Rheem offers gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless water heaters with capacities ranging from 20-gallons to 120-gallons.

• Point-of-use: Point-of-use water heaters are designed to fit under sinks or detached structures and can deliver hot water almost immediately. Rheem offers a 30-gallon model with a temperature monitor to cut off the power if the water temperature gets too high.

• Tankless systems: For consumers looking for a tankless water heater, Rheem offers a variety of different capacity systems. Rheem designed its tankless water heaters to provide hot water to operate three appliances at the same time for an extended period. Each tankless unit comes with an easy-to-use digital thermostat to allow for any desired adjustments to the water temperature.

• Commercial tankless units: Rheem has four models of tankless water heaters for commercial use. Each unit comes with a high temperature chip option that increases the output water temperature by 45-degrees. All four models are said to be 84-94 percent efficient.

• Warranties: Each Rheem water heater comes with a limited warranty. Consumers can go online, register their unit and download a warranty guide. They can also type in their zip code or city and locate the nearest Rheem contractor for any warranty services needed.

• Best for: Consumers looking for a wide selection of residential, energy-efficient water heaters.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs