3.6/5 (500 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

The pilot and the gas valve both failed one month after warranty for my Home Depot Rheem gas water heater expired. The 2 parts cost 700 + 150 labor. Same price as a new heater. Rip off company. Also Home Depot recommended a company who did the initial install who charged as much to install as the heater price of the heater. Don’t buy Rheem! And don’t go through Home Depot.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Purchased a water heater from Rheem and it stopped heating after 12 months and 1 week. Rheem said it is out of labor warranty and they will send me replacement parts which they did, but I had to spend additional $298 to have them replaced. DO NOT EVER PURCHASE ANY PRODUCTS FROM RHEEM. Instead, spend a little bit more money on a better product from another manufacturer. Rheem also offers the same crappy products under Ruud, Richmond, Paloma, Solahart, Splendid, and GE.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Hi there, I am a home builder by the name of Ivaan Interiors in Winnipeg, Canada and I bought a 60-gallon HWT from Home Depot last month Dec 2021 for my new house to sell. The hot water tank was installed on-site by a licensed plumber and electrician. The electrician found that it's not heating and consuming double Amperes as compared to it and tripping the circuit breaker. The electrician double-checked all the wiring but it didn't work and mentioned that there is some problem inside. We called customer service and they said, "We can send parts," and we have to get it repaired at our end. THIS IS RIDICULOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE. How can we repair and why should we spend another hundred bucks to get it repaired. We didn't buy this brand new product to take the pain to repair. The buyer is taking possession next month. I want it to be repaired or replaced asap. I would appreciate if this matter is taken seriously and solved immediately.

Manish

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Anyone viewing this before purchase please reconsider. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT! I am just an average Joe that is trying to help save you from these people. The product is not inexpensive, it is cheap. My water heater did not last 3hrs before flooding my basement. Rheem has put me on hold for over 3hrs so far, hung up on more times than I can count. Mike the supervisor number ** is condescending and inept, probably by design. Run scared from this predatory retailer.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Water heater heating element went out after six months. Rheem service department had no interest in helping or paying for repair after I had it fixed. They were rude, unresponsive, and unproductive. I will never use their products again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Rheem and Richmond are of the same company. They make the worst water heaters on the planet. Junk. I have been through 4 water heaters in 3 years. I kept buying Rheem and Richmond because they fit perfectly and they were the cheapest. All I could afford at the time but I would pay again next year when I had to buy another one. Finally three years 4 water heaters later I bought an American made one!

Do not by Rheem or Richmond. If you do I promise in less than a year you will be installing a new one and their warranty is a joke. 3-year warranty. None of mine lasted three years and I couldn't get anything replaced, fixed, refunded. Horrible customer service. Buy any other brand than this. Save yourself the hassle. Spend a little bit more money and get a good brand. I'm so sick of replacing hot water heaters. I hate that company. They know it's going to break in a year and you'll have to buy another one. I was foolish enough to keep doing that. Never again. I will not buy anything Rheem or Richmond for the as long as I live.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

So every time I have to reignite my water heater I add something to this comment. This is the 2nd water heater in 4 years, they replace the first one because it was fully covered. The new 2nd one lasted about a year and a half and started to have problems. I have received 1 head and sensor replacement due to 9 blinks. Paid to have some one professionally repair it. Now I am still out of hot water in December. Customer service is great but you have to wait on the line for 45 minutes. Just proves how much issues they are having with their products. They are sending another head replacement and sensory in case the first one they sent was a dud. Going to waste more money to have it install. Find another brand of water heater, Rheem seems to be living on their past quality and makes crap now.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

Purchase gas water heater August 2020. May 2021 gas valve became faulty. They shipped one out (2-4 days) and finally had someone schedule to come out after 7 days with no hot water. They proceeded to tell me that the gas valves for this unit manufactured between April and October 2020 are faulty and are having all kinds of issues. I was assured that the one they replaced in May 2021 that the issue was fixed and I would not have this problem. Now it is December 2021 and the gas valve has broke again. Only now I no longer have a labor warranty and I have to pay out-of-pocket for that. They do not stand behind the product. Customer service is extremely rude and unhelpful and they do not care whether you’re out of hot water or not. All they do is make excuses. I will never purchased one of these again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I purchased my Rheem 50 gallon electric water heater at Home Depot, new in the box. When I opened the box, I discovered that one of the two pipes coming out of the top of the heater was damaged. These pipes are actually called heat traps. The end of the inlet side was deformed. I called customer service and they arranged to have the replacement part shipped directly to my house which I received about 4 days later. They weren't able to supply a technician to install the part so they allowed me to hire a local plumber up to $150. The local plumber was able to install the part for $135 without any problems and I was able to complete the installation. I had to pay the plumber out of my pocket and wait for a reimbursement check from Rheem.

The reimbursement check took just over two months to arrive but I will say that the company did stand behind their warranty. It's unfortunate that the heater ever left the manufacturer's Factory in that condition. It makes me question Quality Control when something like this happens inside of an undamaged unopened box.

Since the heater had never been filled with water I suppose I could have tried to return it directly to Home Depot. The labels on the heater asked the consumer to call customer service if there was a problem, so I did work it out that way. This should have been a straightforward replacement, but was delayed due to Manufacturer defect. In the end all was resolved and I'm very happy with the performance of my new water heater. The review for this product would have been 5 stars, but for the inconvenience of this particular problem, I can only give 4.

Resolution response: Dec. 1, 2021

I wrote a review about the Rheem water heater, it was a very low recommendation. I have to apologize. After being in touch with Rheem I have to give them a thumbs up (5 starts) and Thank, Twin Pines Farms, (Conn) for their helpfulness and treating people like you would want to be treated.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

Bought a water heater in July 2021 from Home Depot - had it installed - started leaking on Nov 27 2021. Can't get in touch with customer service - tried many numbers. Web site is useless. Some of the numbers say "Can't connect."

Rheem Water Heaters author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem offers a wide variety of residential water heaters including gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless. Each water heater has Rheem’s National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) advantage meaning maximized performance and minimized footprint.

• Types: Rheem offers gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless water heaters with capacities ranging from 20-gallons to 120-gallons.

• Point-of-use: Point-of-use water heaters are designed to fit under sinks or detached structures and can deliver hot water almost immediately. Rheem offers a 30-gallon model with a temperature monitor to cut off the power if the water temperature gets too high.

• Tankless systems: For consumers looking for a tankless water heater, Rheem offers a variety of different capacity systems. Rheem designed its tankless water heaters to provide hot water to operate three appliances at the same time for an extended period. Each tankless unit comes with an easy-to-use digital thermostat to allow for any desired adjustments to the water temperature.

• Commercial tankless units: Rheem has four models of tankless water heaters for commercial use. Each unit comes with a high temperature chip option that increases the output water temperature by 45-degrees. All four models are said to be 84-94 percent efficient.

• Warranties: Each Rheem water heater comes with a limited warranty. Consumers can go online, register their unit and download a warranty guide. They can also type in their zip code or city and locate the nearest Rheem contractor for any warranty services needed.

Rheem Water Heaters Company Information