Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Water Heaters Reviews

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

My plumber installed a new water heater yesterday after our previous Rheem started leaking. Within 3 hours of getting the new rheem installed it started leaking from the top and flooded my basement. My plumber called rheem and explained the situation they basically wanted him to patch it up as best he could. He is now out getting a new hot water heater to replace it. He said he had been using rheem for 10+ years and until now it had been his product of choice. He is now considering other brands. After reading all these bad reviews I’m very concerned about this product. Customer service and the warranty seems pretty useless. Would not recommend Rheem to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

GG series water heater tank. I bought my water heater tank back in 2013 and in front of the tank was a big note saying 6 year warranty. And sure enough 6 years later I have to buy a new tank. The top part just started to leak water. Not sure what plumbers can do so I was told to buy a new one.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Just replaced 2 gas water heaters with new Rheem water heaters. After three weeks the 1 went out and I have waited a week now for Rheem to send a technician. When I call to follow up I’m given the run around with no commitment to repair anything? I’m beginning to believe these warranties are bogus? I keep calling and cannot get a commitment date for a technician/plumber to come out and repair this water heater that cost me over $1100.00. I need hot water! I don’t understand why Rheem cannot find a plumber when there are plenty available? They try to make you believe that they have special technicians to repair Water heaters but no one can make a commitment or even find a plumber? I think this warranty they supposedly provide is nothing more than a sales scheme to draw in unsuspecting customers to buy their water heaters. I’m very disappointed in my experience so far????.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I have a Rheem Water Heater and a valve went out. The service tech had to order a replacement part. After talking to the people from Rheem about my shipping information, I was told it would take 2-3 days to get the part. Okay fine. Then I get the FedEx notification and it is a week till the "estimated" delivery date. What happen to 2-3 days? I called the help number and come to find out that I could have overnight the stupid part for a small fee and had hot water in a couple of days instead of over a week, but the guy processing the order the first time failed to mention that option to me. Needless to say the part is now overnight but since it was a Friday afternoon it won't go out till Monday so when the thing finally comes in and can be installed it will be 5 days since the service tech got out there to begin with to get the hot water heater running. Seriously what are these people thinking, you as a homeowner don't want hot water in winter for more than a week.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I would really want to give Rheem 0 stars if I could. Do not buy a rheem water heater. Trust me you will regret in the future, spend the extra bucks and get a better brand that will save you from the hassle I had to go thru with that company! I bought a water heater in 2015 and that thing didn’t even last me 5 years and when you call and expect to get it replaced they the 5 year warranty they say it comes with they give you the run around and make you and your contractor find a rheem distributor near you and when you finally find one you have to pay a process fee that can range anywhere from $80 to $200 for processing the “warranty” the supposedly give you when you purchase their products.

Then on top Of that if the model you have is discontinued Rheem charges you a $50 fee to get a updated tank since they don’t make the one you have even though it’s not your fault they sold you a faulty tank in the first place! This warranty is a bunch of B.S. Do not buy a rheem tank. Trust me, they don’t stand behind their product. It’s cheap and it doesn’t last past 5 years! Spend the extra bucks and buy something better!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

On 12/07/2019, replaced a GE 45 gallon heater that had worked for many years. Lots of hot water, but finally developed a leak. Replace the GE with a Rheem. The Rheem heater does NOT satisfy any of our needs. It simply does not supply water that is hot enough to clean dishes in our GE dishwasher, does not supply hot enough water for our baths. After adjusting the two heater elements to the highest setting, it is still not enough. We will NEVER EVER purchase any appliance made by Rheem. BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

12/16/19 paid 2600.00 for Rheem water heater - now 1/2/20 and we still have no hot water. Rheem was to send replacement part on 12/19/19 - we didn’t receive until 12/31/19. That part installed and still not working. Now Rheem sending another replacement part. Rheem will NOT replace this brand new unit as long as they can keep sending replacement parts!! This is not acceptable but they do not care how long we have been without hot water!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

After less than 2 years, our Rheem hot water heater needed a new gas controller. Took more than 3 months to get the right parts, with mistake after mistake. Finally just got a new hot water heater. I will never own a Rheem again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Replaced our water heater of 20 years with a Rheem because it was a good brand and has been around. It worked fine for a week and then the pilot went out. Re lit and 2 days went out again. Then it was going out every couple hours. I called Tech support with Rheem and said they would have a plumber contact me. Plumber came out and determined it was the main Gas control. Took 4 days to get the part and we installed it and still did the same thing. Called tech support again, they wanted us to take the burner assembly to check if something was tripped. If it was they would send another part out. We have been without hot water for almost two weeks. I'm tired of the runaround and took it back to home depot for a refund. So disappointed with the whole situation. They could have overnighted the parts instead of waiting days for them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

We purchased a $398.00 Rheem water heater today and installed it. It is not working, called the service/warranty department, they do not have a service man in the area, told us we are on our own to find someone to fix a brand new defective Rheem water heater and they will reimburse us up to $125.00 because they do not have a service man in the area. We wanted to return this piece of junk for a replacement better yet a full refund. $400.00 basically down the drain. Literally. Horrible product, horrible service.

Rheem Water Heaters expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem offers a wide variety of residential water heaters including gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless. Each water heater has Rheem’s National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) advantage meaning maximized performance and minimized footprint.

• Types: Rheem offers gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless water heaters with capacities ranging from 20-gallons to 120-gallons.

• Point-of-use: Point-of-use water heaters are designed to fit under sinks or detached structures and can deliver hot water almost immediately. Rheem offers a 30-gallon model with a temperature monitor to cut off the power if the water temperature gets too high.

• Tankless systems: For consumers looking for a tankless water heater, Rheem offers a variety of different capacity systems. Rheem designed its tankless water heaters to provide hot water to operate three appliances at the same time for an extended period. Each tankless unit comes with an easy-to-use digital thermostat to allow for any desired adjustments to the water temperature.

• Commercial tankless units: Rheem has four models of tankless water heaters for commercial use. Each unit comes with a high temperature chip option that increases the output water temperature by 45-degrees. All four models are said to be 84-94 percent efficient.

• Warranties: Each Rheem water heater comes with a limited warranty. Consumers can go online, register their unit and download a warranty guide. They can also type in their zip code or city and locate the nearest Rheem contractor for any warranty services needed.

• Best for: Consumers looking for a wide selection of residential, energy-efficient water heaters.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team