2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Original review: June 11, 2021

I bought my water less than a year ago and a defective part made the heater stop working. I called the number on the warranty and got a complete run around for 2 hours kept transferring from one to other. They told me final that in two days they would send some out. The company they said they called didn't get the request for three days and said they couldn't come out for a week anyway. Rheem told me to call my own plumber to fix problem and they would reimburse me. I did what they asked, sent all documents to them, they replied. It will take 6 to 8 weeks for a refund. Needless to say as of today June 11, 2021 I have not received my refund after countless emails. What do I do, please advise. This started in March 2021. Thank you.

Original review: June 10, 2021

I hired a licensed contractor to install a new Rheem water heater. After 6 months the new water heater leaked, it had a crack in the tank. The contractor replaced the water heater under warranty. A Couple months later the water heater failed. I contacted Rheem and they sent parts to my house and contacted their approved/authorized contractor to replace the parts. When the repair was made, their contractor dented in the side of the tank. When I contacted Rheem they told me it is not their problem and that I need to take it up with their contractor and that I would never be able to prove it. Their contractor does not respond to any forms of communication. The Rheem representative were very rude and unprofessional. So I paid ~$2,000 for a damaged, unsightly water heater. Plus, is it safe? Will the damage cause the tank to rupture or leak hot water?

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2021

Bought first unit from Home Depot, lasted 2 days with certified installer. Returned and got new unit at home depot. A different plumber certified installed it. Lasted 2 days. Dealt with Rheem customer service, If you get lucky and the call picks up I hope you have lots of time. 2 service calls from their techs that are not in my area. 10 calls, I am ripping this piece of trash out and returning it to the store myself. I already went to the store to complain, The fault is 100% with Rheem. Poor quality product and a joke of customer service.

Original review: May 22, 2021

Bought at DIY box store and passed on warranty. (: 6 months electric coil failed. Warranty paid for part. Plumber charged $700 to install. 8 months later electric coil FAILED AGAIN. Warranty paid for part. Plumber charged $700 to install. 4 months later electric coil FAILED THIRD TIME! Junked the damned thing and paid plumber for replacement with full warranty.

Original review: May 19, 2021

I have a 5 y/o water heater that has a leak. I have replaced the exhaust fan already. I have sent them photos of the rusted and rotted away parts because of the leak. It’s under warranty. They are refusing to replace it.

Original review: May 13, 2021

Replaced my tank gas water heater with a new Rheem tankless, installed by my son. He stayed in close touch with Rheem to install and vent properly and all seemed well, except the unit would periodically hammer loudly when used. Son called Rheem twice about this but could not get any real help. Now it's worse, last night during a bath it roared and hammered and finally shut down, displaying an error code 13. No one will come out and look at this problem so will have to try to call Rheem customer service again. Will update if we can ever get through to any technical help, but right now we are highly disappointed and discouraged with Rheem.

Original review: May 12, 2021

I'm not surprised the company won't claim this profile especially when you have such a crappy product. I would give it 0 stars if I could. As a property manager, I have used a variety of products for repairs and upgrades, and this is by far the worse product we have used in our building. We currently have installed 4 of these and all have had issues from the start. An authorized repairman actually had to come out to adjust them because fire seemed to be spewing out of the exhaust opening at the top. The hold for customer service is by the hours, which shouldn't be surprising since their products are so problematic. Why a retailer would sell such a product unless they are getting special pricing.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I wanted to buy a Rheem Lifetime warranty Marathon hot water tank. They advertise that it will never need changing and will save you so much money in the long run. I was so excited I would never have to change it again... it seemed worth the extra cost... for sure. Luckily I remembered that my insurance requires that hot water tanks be changed every 10 years so I asked the insurance if they will accept this lifetime unit forever and they said NO. My insurance told me that 99% of insurance companies will still require that the unit be changed after 10 years regardless of the manufacturer's warranty claims. Note: I am in Canada. Buyer beware!!!!

Original review: May 3, 2021

They don't make water heaters like they used to, that's for sure. I bought a house a few years ago with a Sears water heater in it from 1977. It lasted until 2009. I had a new Rheem water heater put in March 2014. It failed May 2021, right after the 6 year warranty. The heater element rusted right through the tank, and this is a water heater that was connected to a water softener, so no hard water going through it at all.

Waste of money and it looks like I am not alone. Rheem needs to go back to see what Sears was doing. Same with all these companies that supply water heaters to Lowe's and Home Depot. A water heater should not be a disposable item. They should last 20 years, just like they did years ago. And for us consumers, we need to wake the hell up to the way companies like Rheem operate. Sure, Sears didn't keep up with the times, and Amazon is killing places like Sears. BUT, that doesn't mean that we should all be a bunch of suckers, getting water heaters replaced every decade. What a joke.

Original review: May 3, 2021

We built a new house in 2013. Our Rheem 50 gallon water heater is only 8 years old but of course, this happens right after the warranty is expired. We finished our basement about a year ago. Thanks to this water heater failing, we now have to replace not just the water heater, but all of our beautiful new hardwood flooring, the carpet in the bedroom and some of the drywall. Original water heater = $1,000. New water heater = $1,000. Homeowners insurance deductible = $1,000. Time off from work to remove everything from the basement to pull up the flooring = $840. Total cost of owning this thing = $3,840. Steer clear, folks.

Rheem Water Heaters author review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem offers a wide variety of residential water heaters including gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless. Each water heater has Rheem’s National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) advantage meaning maximized performance and minimized footprint.

• Types: Rheem offers gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless water heaters with capacities ranging from 20-gallons to 120-gallons.

• Point-of-use: Point-of-use water heaters are designed to fit under sinks or detached structures and can deliver hot water almost immediately. Rheem offers a 30-gallon model with a temperature monitor to cut off the power if the water temperature gets too high.

• Tankless systems: For consumers looking for a tankless water heater, Rheem offers a variety of different capacity systems. Rheem designed its tankless water heaters to provide hot water to operate three appliances at the same time for an extended period. Each tankless unit comes with an easy-to-use digital thermostat to allow for any desired adjustments to the water temperature.

• Commercial tankless units: Rheem has four models of tankless water heaters for commercial use. Each unit comes with a high temperature chip option that increases the output water temperature by 45-degrees. All four models are said to be 84-94 percent efficient.

• Warranties: Each Rheem water heater comes with a limited warranty. Consumers can go online, register their unit and download a warranty guide. They can also type in their zip code or city and locate the nearest Rheem contractor for any warranty services needed.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team