Rheem Water Heaters

Compare Water Heaters

Research top Water Heaters recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had a professional install a new water heater. The old one had finally quit working. He installed a Rheem. When he turned the water on and it had time to heat water the first time the pressure valve wouldn't stop leaking. So I called Rheem and after a fight they agreed to send a new pressure valve to me that I installed. That stopped the leaking for a couple years. Still under warranty 4 years later it starts to leak again... I call them back and they won't send another pressure valve out but tell me I have to install a thermal tank? I have the lowest pressure of all my neighbors and none of them have a thermal tank why should I, now, need one? They say if I install a thermal tank and it doesn't fix the problem that it is probably the water tank. What a piss poor company... Never again will I buy or allow a Rheem on my place!!!

I have had good luck with Rheem gas hot water tank. I bought it 23 years ago, installed it myself and it is still going. Since that time I have added a garage to my house and want to put it in the garage. I am going to buy a new one because I am on borrowed time with it now and my next one will be a Rheem unless someone knows another one can outlast mine?

We came pretty close to losing our home. When we got home from work, we could smell a horrible smoky, electrical smell throughout the whole house. We investigated of course, and found that our almost brand new (purchased Nov 2016) water heater had exploded. We immediately went back to the Home Depot in Brockville where we had purchased it. The manager, who is very familiar to us due to all of our renovations, took the situation very seriously yet due to the "manufacturer's warranty", we had to contact Rheem. The HD mgr tried for us but it was after hours. Hubby contacted Rheem the next day but had to supply them with the unit's serial # which he did not have with him.

When we got home we called Rheem again, to let them know that due the unit HAVING CAUGHT ON FIRE, the serial # was illegible/charred. We emailed them photos of the unit and the receipt from our purchase. We were given a case # and have fully expected Rheem to contact us to arrange a new tank... An apology... An anything. Well as of 4 pm today, hubby had to call them back because, yes, WE WOULD LIKE HOT WATER. After getting the runaround from customer service, what it boils down to is because we cannot provide a serial #, they assume we are trying to pull a fast one on them and will not replace the unit. With absolutely no concern that our house could have burned down. Rheem, you suck.

Installed water heater and it will not ignite. Called tech support and he said it sounds like the igniter panel isn't working. How can it not be working if it's brand new? Now waiting for parts to come to hopefully fix. 3 days no hot water, not fun.

Two months after purchasing three Rheem hot water heater on July 6, 2015, the water started smelling like rotten eggs in two of them. Contacted Home Depot where I purchased them. They told me the heaters were still under manufacturer's warranty. I contacted Rheem numerous times via email on Rheem's website and did not get a reply. Home Depot then gave me their number. Spoke with a representative who told me it was not their problem it was my water. I explained about the other heater that did not smell. She said I would have to purchase a chlorinator for each heater about $250 ea. and sent me an email with information where to buy them. I said it was the anode rods and they said that was not covered under the warranty.

After that, a friend would flush the heaters with hydrogen peroxide and that would help until I went out of town. I was tired of asking him to do this so contacted Home Depot again on Jan. 8, 2017. This time they told me to call Asurion, the extended warranty I bought. That was a huge waste of time and money as they gave me the runaround too! After reporting Home Depot to the BBB, I was contacted and they contacted Rheem. Rheem called a plumber, told them to call me to call them to open a claim with them. I called Rheem and they told me the same thing they told me a year and a half ago. So I'm back to square one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

I purchased Rheem water heater two years ago. I called today to get the product fix or replace because is still under warranty. After 2 hours of being transfer and on hold, they tell me that they weren't able to help. Since the unit was no longer installed the warranty is voided. I explain to Amanda about the reason of not being installed and still no joy. If able try to used another brand or call this company before attempting to fix it yourself. This company is ripping off customers.

Model # 22VR40FN - Water heater needed repair after just a few years of service. Had to pay $235.00 for a tech to repair. Rheem makes you jump through hoops just to try to get a $45.00 parts reimbursement covered by their warranty. Almost 40 minutes on phone, repair invoice from plumber marked paid with our check number on it sent previously but I guess, not enough (insulting), image of both sides of our cancelled check needed as additional proof of repair. So that means more time wasted - special trip to bank to get cancelled check copy. Will never buy a Rheem product again. Never a problem other than age with the other water heaters I've owned in my lifetime. Generally speaking, they've all lasted 12-15 years without repair or failure.

We had a Rheem two-stage R-410A Heat Pump (4 ton) (2 speed) outdoor unit with matching 4 ton air handler (variable speed) installed in September 2014 by Home Depot's contractor ARS with county permit. We know it was professionally installed correctly. We signed up for the service program with twice yearly inspections for maintenance. Everything checked out until our March 2017 service call when it was discovered that the static pressure was too high. When the air handler panel was removed you could see that 2/3rds of the "A" coils was covered with frost, a result of internal restriction. Also, on close examination, you could see rust all around the tubes where they came out and went back (U shape).

My contractor did a replacement installation of the coil unit. The unit itself was covered by Rheem's 10 year warranty but not the labor, so I was out $997. This for a coil unit that was not 3 years old, the date of manufacture was July 2014, installed September 2014. Very poor quality. What is most interesting is that the replacement coil unit is all aluminum. The contractor/installer said all the new Rheem units similar to mine now come with the all aluminum coil units. This tells me that Rheem knew it had junk and switched out to the all aluminum, which will not have a rust issue and hopefully not an internal issue with restrictions.

We replace a water heater April 2015 with a Rheem electric tank in our vacation rental. Sept 2016 our tenant called us to say there was no hot water. Couldn't believe it. We had a plumber attend the condo to find out that the wires on top of the water heater were fried. We needed a new hot water heater of course. This happened on a Saturday and Rheem's office was closed.

I called Rheem on Monday for them to tell me I had to go through who I purchased the hot water tank through which was Home Depot. A representative at Rheem told me they would reimburse the labour to install the new tank. I'm still waiting as of today being February 13, 2017. Rheem has the worst customer service I have ever had. They tell me someone will call me back in a day or so. They tell me it takes 6 to 8 weeks for an answer. Wow it's now been 6 months and still no answer. I am so done with them. NEVER PURCHASE A RHEEM PRODUCT!!!

I bought my home in Feb. 2016 and started remodeling right away. I am a licensed building contractor, so I wanted to do the things I had told other people to do, so I put in 2 Rheem RETE-13 Tankless electric point of use water heaters. After just 3 months the first heater went out so I had to buy another 1 and send the bad 1 back to get a refund, then in Nov. 2016 both heaters went out. This time I can't get Rheem to return my calls for 2 1/2 months. After 12 E-mails to them and 1 or 2 phone calls a week they finally tell me I can't send back the heaters because they refuse to give me my money back or to fix them. So now on Feb. 8 I went down to the Dearborn County Courthouse and filed a small claims lawsuit against Rheem.

I purchased a Rheem hot water heater a year ago and it stop working. I called for assistance, and got a girl who talked to me like I was a child she was very rude. Rheem customer service experience was one of the worst I have ever experienced! If you want to waste money, time and get insulted purchase a Rheem!

The adjustment dial and power switch located at the bottom of the gas water heater has no way to prevent a toddler or incidental contact from adjusting the dial. This is a huge red flag for me where it can easily be turned to the max temperature and can lead to burns. I called Rheem to see if they have a cover or anything that can limit access to the controls and was told that this is not a safety concern or a manufacturer defect and there is nothing that they will do to resolve the concern. I assume it is my 18 month old daughter that is playing with the dial, turning it to the maximum temperature setting, but it could as easily be changed by something inadvertently rubbing on the dial. My home was built in the 70's and the water heater is located in the laundry room, not in a dedicated closet, so it does have more open access than newer homes with dedicated utility closets. Regardless, this is currently a significant safety concern for me and my wife.

Ok out of all the reviews I've read here's one that you should all read if you're going to buy a Rheem. I replaced a GE for the Rheem and in less than a year I had 6 instances where I had no hot water and each time was when it rained. Now I had my handyman install it (who wouldn't right). Wrong... Had Rheem plumbing contractor come out who told me unit was flooded because the housing unit was not secured right allowing water into the housing unit which collected in the water heater... My warranty that expired on 2028 was now null and void one year into ownership. I strong urge everyone to not buy Rheem. The fine print is where they get you where it hurts. I had to pay $250 to get it working again but if it goes out again I'm screwed with no warranty. BUYER BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY... I will be filing a complaint with Rheem and Better Business and Consumer Affairs. WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN EVER!!!

On 8-12-16 my Rheem hot water heater which is (2) yrs old went to vacation mode and I only had warm water. Plumber spoke with Rheem and they recommend replacement of gas valve. Rheem sent part and it was replaced 5 days later. After a few days it went back to vacation mode. Plumber called Rheem and was told they would send another gas valve for replacement. After 2nd replacement of valve, a few days later it went back to vacation mode. Plumber called Rheem and they recommend replacement of vapor sensor.

Vapor sensor was installed and again went to vacation mode. Plumber called Rheem and they recommend replacement of wire harness. After this replacement I had NO warm water. Plumber replaced complete unit on 9-24-16. Rheem covered the water heater but would not cover labor. Because of all their replacement recommendations my labor charges came to 1767.00. After reading the other reviews, why isn't this heater recalled?

Purchased a 40 gallon Rheem gas water heater June 2013, and as of Sept./Oct. 2016, it has already developed a bottom leak. The room is dry climate and in all the 40 years that I have had water heaters in this room, never once did I have a unit that developed a bottom leak. Rheem is apparently garbage these days. Not recommended.

I purchased a high end water Rheem water heater less than a year ago. This morning I had no hot water. I checked the circuit breaker and the reset button on the unit itself. NOTHING. I called Rheem and they said they'd send a replacement part on Monday--today is Saturday. This is not the 19th century. The fact that this unit failed in less than a year and the fact that I have to wait three days for a part is ludicrous. I should have heeded the poor reviews on this product.

Bought a new electric water heater. The 40 gallon professional series from Home Depot. I am a maintenance man for a living and have installed several water heaters with no problem. Got this one home. Put in new breaker. Installed heater. Never did get hot. Called the number on tank and went thru a checklist. The tech talked me thru and decided the thermostat needed to be replaced. They sent me a new one installed. It same thing doesn't work. Called Home Depot and they delivered another new water heater. Took a $100 dollars off the price. Installed the second one and it doesn't work either. So now I'm taking it back to Home Depot and going to purchase different brand. Second time this summer I have bought a major appliance from Home Depot and encountered problems.

It worked for one day then I had to call for repair, they shipped a part but they wouldn't pay for labor nor had a field service staff to help with. I had to pay for a plumber. 3 days later broke again and Rheem washed their hands off. Basically a brand new water heater that doesn't work. It is not on their radar for customer service. I will never purchase from them again nor I suggest anybody does.

We had a few issues within the first year of operation with our water heater, tripping our breaker and electrician thought he figured out the problem with the unit, despite it being properly installed anyway. Last night upon returning from dinner we walked into our home full of an electrical burning smell. Through elimination the results were that our water heater had blown out its wiring on the front electrical panel, as we could see black smoke all around it and coming from the unit. The breaker had fortunately already tripped from the over load, but we turned it off and cut off the water supply as a precaution.

We immediately contacted one of our electricians that is used for our company. He arrived today (following day). I contacted Rheem and the moment they heard the model number, he said, "Take it back to Home Depot immediately and they will replace it for you". After further investigation I discovered a recent total recall was issued for more than 54,000 units sold exclusively at Home Depot from 2014 to 2016 all for the same problem. Almost 300 reports have been made and one involving more than $5500 in damage.

I bought the Performance Platinum 50 Gal. Tall 12 Year 36,000 BTU ENERGY STAR Ultra Low NOx Natural Gas Water Heater from Home Depot. Use rush professional service installed 2AM in the morning hoping it will work and provide hot water for us, then it doesn't starts. Called back to the number provided. Diagnose with the technician on the phone for 30 minutes and then told me that the igniter is bad and need be to replaced. THIS IS A BRAND NEW WATER HEATER BOUGHT FROM Home Depot. Then technician told me that she requested a FedEx next day delivery to deliver the parts to me and should come next.

It is a day after and I called back to ask for FedEx tracking number. I was told that the parts has NOT shipped and then just requested now. Apparently somebody there did NOT do his/her job. If I did not call today, it probably will not be sent out still and I have to wait two more days to find out the fact. Really really bad product and bad service. I don't know what I can say. In a hot summer, our whole family cannot take showers before go work and school. How can I trust their product and their service.

Can't I get no stars? My water heater broke (leaking) after 5.8 years. It is still under Rheem warranty, so I called Rheem and they said I had to take the water heater back to where it was purchased to get credit or a replacement. I can't remember where it was purchase and I cannot even lift the water heater. My plumber is not willing to take the heater to where it was purchased without charging me the time which is substantial. So Rheem won't honor the warranty unless I bring the whole water heater, this makes no sense. In essence they are saying if I can't carry the water heater into the place it was purchased I can get reimbursed. What is that but a sham! I will never purchase a Rheem product again!

Talked to Rheem. Warranty starts when it is made, not when it's installed. Woman tried to get an extension but man at GE that made the water heater said "No go, you cannot extend it." So, since it's 2 days past the date, I have to pay $300 for a new gas valve to be installed.

They will keep stalling on replacing your water heater until you give up and buy a new one because you need hot water. 12-year warranty tank, only 4 years old. Already had to replace the thermocouple 2 years ago. Second failure now only lets it give hot water for 1-2 minutes and it's out. Since this was not my first bad experience with a Rheem heater customer support, I just went straight to a plumber. They told me the tank needs to be replaced. OK, next day I call support, they want me to check a couple things and get back to them, fair enough. Call back 2 days later, they have no record I ever called so we start the entire process again, and they decide to send me a new gas control valve even though the first person I talked to said that didn't fit the symptoms.

2 days later I get it, and install it. Still broken, call back again, by now it's been a week without any hot water, and everyone in the house is pissed at me. They want me to run a water temperature test AGAIN for a third time, even though I'm already well aware the water gets hot... it just runs out in about 2 minutes. They want to send me another gas control valve, even though I just installed a new one they sent me that day. Which I wouldn't get until Tuesday since it's a Saturday. Refuse to allow me to trade it in for a new one, and the supervisor tells me it's clearly a plumbing issue since the gas control valve was replaced and I checked the dip tube and it's not cracked or broken. He tells me just like a water heater, parts can fail in plumbing.

My copper pipes can fail somehow causing hot water to run out quick? With zero plumbing changes? Yeah, OK, they clearly are just coming up with any excuse possible to not give me a working water heater. At this point I need hot water, so I give up and go buy a Whirlpool. Hey, I have all the hot water I want now, turns out my copper pipes didn't break in a fashion that sucks the hot water up. Shocker, it was the water heater. $750 down the drain on a new water heater because their support refuses to actually help.

I have a Rheem hot water heater, 50 gallon, that is still under warranty. On Friday 061716 I woke up to no hot water. After checking the tank we find out the pilot is out, so we re-lit the pilot only to wake up on 6/18/16 with no hot water again. We called technical support at Rheem and we were walked through a few diagnostic steps. The tech tells us it is the thermocoupler and that he can have one shipped out. We received the part on Tuesday, now 5 days without hot water, and we had it installed on Thursday. One hour after the pilot was re-lit it went out again and we were not able to re-lit. On Friday morning we call Rheem again and speak to a supervisor named Shakira. Before calling we had checked online and see that this issue we are having is happening to a lot of Rheem hot water tank owners out there.

Shakira was no help what so ever, all she could do was refer us to repair companies in the area that we will have to pay. She also tells us that the tech rep that we spoke to on Saturday really was not qualified to make a diagnosis of what was wrong with our tank. I was lucky enough to get a company to come out Friday afternoon at the cost of $297... The tech tells me that the problem is the gas valve which is very common in Rheem tanks. He even showed me that the valve he was replacing the bad one with had been re-engineered because the original valves were faulty. It seems Rheem has a pattern of sending out the thermocoupler part, even though they are very well aware that the problem is their Gas Valve. It seems to me that Rheem is WELL aware that there is a problem with their hot water heaters but refuse to stand by their product.

What has happened to customer service and making things right for the customer? I have also contacted a local tv station's consumer department to see if they can look into this. If more of us would call Rheem out publicly and go after them then perhaps we could all be reimbursed for our repair costs as well as help the next person out that goes through this. I was without hot water for 8 days and I have read that others have gone even longer. I would never buy anything from Rheem, as they have horrible customer service and they could care less about their customers.

This is to anyone who is considering a RHEEM hot water heater. I just purchased the 50 gallon 40K BTU unit and I have had no luck getting it to ignite. I called the service number and they told me it was a faulty igniter. They gave me an option to have it overnighted or look for it locally. I found the part locally but they told me to check the igniter out of casing first because they usually don't fail. Long story short it was not the igniter. Through a secondary check the RHEEM tech figured out it was the entire gas control box. I now have to wait for 2-3 business days for the entire assembly. I just paid $600 from HD and my family has no hot water for 4 days! IT'S A TOTAL JOKE. DON'T BUY THEIR JUNK!

I purchased a 50 gallon water heater a week ago. From the day it was installed it leaked. I have had someone from the installer, Rheem or Home Depot at my house every day. They replaced a heating element and it still leaked. Now they are trying to blame me that it was not leaking, as there was no water in the pan when the repair guy left. Really... It leaks every time about an hour after they leave. Now, they tell me it might be the pressure valve and I have to pay for the visit and fix. Funny, old heater worked fine with no leaks, just old and lots of crud in the bottom.

In the last discussion, the Rheem agent told me that it might be an expansion thing that happens naturally and leaks into the pan. Now, I am beside myself and not dumb, you should never have water in the pan. Rheem/Home Depot, stand up and take responsibility for the products you sell. I pay $1400 for nothing but headaches and stress hoping the thing doesn't explode and flood my home.

Bought a 40 gallon Rheem water heater and installed, couldn't get it to work. Called the gas company thinking it was a problem with our gas. Not the issue. Called Rheem and they sent a part (that wasn't the issue either). Called them again to exchange the water heater and they said no, that if it was giving a code it could be fixed. In the meantime we were having to go to family homes to take showers. They gave us a reset code to try to reset it. It worked for 4 hours then went out again. Tried to reset it again with code and the damn heater blew up 6 inches from my husbands face. Lucky he was not injured. Called customer service, very pissed and they told my husband they would disconnect the call if he didn't settle down, didn't even ask if he was OK.. Finally got sent to claims. After 10 days of having this thing we are getting q code to exchange... Not Happy!!!

We purchased 56 Rheem water heaters for our senior housing community in Eudora Kansas. 12 of the tanks have had failures within the first 4 years of service. None of the plumbing contractors want to work on the Rheem water heaters because they were purchased from Home Depot and are told that parts are not easily available. We are slowly switching out the tanks to another brand that was recommended by our plumbing contractor. We will no longer be purchasing any Rheem water heaters.

We purchased a Rheem Water Heater (Serial Number M451401623) on August 24, 2015. Ten days later we did not have any hot water. My husband called Rheem and walked him through steps to try and figure out why we did not have any hot water. They told him a control valve went out and they would ship it overnight and we would get it by Wednesday. This was on Monday. A certified, licensed, and bonded repair shop had to do this and they would only pay $125.00 for the repair which we have to pay for and they will reimburse us. We were suppose to receive the part last Wednesday and did not receive it so my husband called again and they were closed. So he called first thing Thursday morning and they said the order never got placed but he called before the cutoff time - it would go out that day. My husband called again Friday this morning and they told him the order was not placed - it would go out today.

Which means if it does we will not get it until Monday. Not having hot water for 9 days if we receive it then. All we keep getting is lies every time we call. It was purchased at Home Depot and they originally told my husband he could just return it and get a new one but that is pretty expensive after paying to get it installed. We will never purchase another Rheem product!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem offers a wide variety of residential water heaters including gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless. Each water heater has Rheem’s National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) advantage meaning maximized performance and minimized footprint.

• Types: Rheem offers gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless water heaters with capacities ranging from 20-gallons to 120-gallons.
  • Point-of-use: Point-of-use water heaters are designed to fit under sinks or detached structures and can deliver hot water almost immediately. Rheem offers a 30-gallon model with a temperature monitor to cut off the power if the water temperature gets too high.
  • Tankless systems: For consumers looking for a tankless water heater, Rheem offers a variety of different capacity systems. Rheem designed its tankless water heaters to provide hot water to operate three appliances at the same time for an extended period. Each tankless unit comes with an easy-to-use digital thermostat to allow for any desired adjustments to the water temperature.
  • Commercial tankless units: Rheem has four models of tankless water heaters for commercial use. Each unit comes with a high temperature chip option that increases the output water temperature by 45-degrees. All four models are said to be 84-94 percent efficient.
  • Warranties: Each Rheem water heater comes with a limited warranty. Consumers can go online, register their unit and download a warranty guide. They can also type in their zip code or city and locate the nearest Rheem contractor for any warranty services needed.
  • Best for Consumers looking for a wide selection of residential, energy-efficient water heaters.

Compare Water Heaters