3.9/5 (769 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Rheem Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

I would have given Rheem a five star rating if they even made a reasonable effort in providing customer support. The product is a very good one but I submitted multiple customer response forms and received nothing. If they are going to sell through retail channels then they need to support the customers who purchase their products. I purchased my tankless WH through Home Depot thinking that this would be a good channel for support. My advice to anybody looking to purchase a Rheem product is that you will be on your own.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

Unit installed eighteen months ago, mfg 28Dec2020. If I had followed Rheem instructions I still would not have hot water after 10 days because they refuse to replace defective units. They only arrange for redesigned parts to be delivered so plumber can install at my cost. The issue is Rheem wants the customer to get so frustrated by delaying the fix that the only real choice is to throw out the old and buy new from a reputable company. They in effect pass on their responsibility for paying for and fixing product defects. They told me they have no idea how they could possibly track defective units since they are sold to wholesalers. Zero accountability. They deserve a class action lawsuit. I’m surprised this haven’t happened. Let’s all be environmentally responsible guys. This is a travesty! Why are they in business?

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2022

I bought a Rheem electric tankless water heater RETX-24 from a reseller as part of a radiant floor heating system. It started making noise shortly after installation which grew progressively worse as time went on, and it eventually just quit working in any capacity. I called Rheem and they sent me a troubleshooting document which turned out to be for the wrong model. After calling them back, they sent me the correct procedure, which involved disconnecting the plumbing and accessing the inlet side of the heater. Fortunately, I had the tools and ability to do this myself or I would have had to hire a plumber. I discovered the flow meter had worn a hole in the side of the cheap plastic housing it was in, stalling it out so the heater was not detecting flow.

After verifying that it was still under warranty, they said they would ship me out a new part via FEDEX and it would take five business days. I requested expedited shipping since this is how we heat our house. They told me it would cost about $125 to ship a half ounce part. I pleaded my case and asked if there wasn't another way to ship it (like USPS express mail) and they refused. They said they only shipped FEDEX and would not budge on the cost. It's now been delayed because of Christmas or weather (not sure which) but we've been without hot water for 8 days during the coldest week of the winter. So beware...If you buy Rheem, they may send you a new part if you do the work yourself, but don't expect to have good customer service or expedited shipping unless you want to pay a fortune for it.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

I just purchased a Rheem water heater from Home Depot. I connected everything and I couldn’t get the burner to start? Only the pilot would stay on. I searched on Youtube to see if I was forgetting something?? I seen the Gas silver intake line under the control box has been crushed. That’s why I couldn’t get it started. I called the warranty number on the tank and I connected with Life Alert Spam. Called twice. Same thing. I called the next day and was put on hold for 30 minutes and I spoke to customer support and told them what I found. Now they said they are going to send me a repair line to fix it???? A brand new water heater and I have to fix it already. Spoke to Home Depot. No support at all. I told customer support if I can exchange for another because my kids - No Luck! Stay away from this brand “**”.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

Do NOT use Rheem. They are out to get consumers. If you purchase a house from someone with a perfectly good water heater- you don't qualify for the warranty. This is beyond shady, and every contractor/plumber who came to our house was appalled to hear this. USE ANOTHER SERVICE- AND RHEEM, IF YOU'RE LISTENING- DO BETTER, JERKS.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

Bought a brand new water heater from Home Depot (Rheem) that never really worked correctly. After about 5 mo I called Rheem who then sent out a local plumbing co to replace the part they said was defective. After replacing part twice water heater still did not work properly so they decided to replace it. And this is where the problems started. Was told to take it back to home depot to get a replacement, Rheem had the local plumbing work with me so we could take the water heater back to home depot, they warned me I would be responsible for any difference in price (which I thought was a little weird to say) as well as if parts were not up to code beforehand.

When we got to home depot they would not take it back until (cause their policy is 90 days) I told them this is what Rheem said we were to do. Then they wanted to pro-rate the water heater instead of doing an even swap even though the water heater was not even 6mos. old. They wanted me to pay an additional 160.00 plus tax to get a replacement water heater. Yes Rheem manufacturing warranty is 5 years but home depot warranty is only 90 days. What a scam.

Both Rheem and Home Depot both know these water heaters are a piece of junk, local plumbing companies know Rheem heaters are junk and we the consumer are being scammed by them both to shell out more money for something that does not work properly in the first place. After I stood my ground and had a manager come up front Home Depot finally did and even swap with me, but I will probably have to go thru this all over again in 6 mos to a year. Why there is not a class action suit against the both of them is beyond me.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

Poor quality, minimal warranty of 5 years. Furnace is 9 years old, first owner. Rheem does NOT honor the warranty - dual stage motor died, called Rheem, they stated warranty is 5 years. Buyers beware!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

We purchased a Rheem 50 Gal hot water heater in Feb 2021. It was an expensive model but the HVAC company sold us on it by stating how well-made and reliable it would be. Last week, in Nov 2022, we woke up to no hot water. Called the HVAC company who came out and diagnosed a defective gas valve, which was covered under warranty. They said they were replacing so many of them that Rheem had shipped them a large supply because this was becoming a known defect in this unit. However, Rheem does not reimburse labor for replacing their defective part so we are out another $350. None of the other less expensive hot water heaters we have had ever broke down this soon, and we will never be purchasing another Rheem product.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Purchased a hot water heater from one of their plumbing distributors about a year and half ago. Had a licensed plumber come and install, wasn't even installed for two weeks and was not heating water. Called and was told they were aware they had faulty parts and would send out a replacement overnight. A week later it came, lucky the plumber walked through my tenant at the time how to install and got it working after almost two weeks and no hot water. Had to pay a plumber, new hot water heater and tenants for lack of water to bathe, wash dishes etc. Fast forward we took house back and now have NO hot water for two days and now being told that they have only known since Jan 2022 about the faulty parts, this is **. You have record. You sent me the same part before and now sending another one to be told they don't overnight anymore and it might be here by end of week, it is Monday as I write this.

Had a plumber come by to see if he could do anything in the meantime. He said he has been replacing these parts for Rheem since 2017 and they have known about this for a long time and now are sending out steel replacement instead of plastic. He said his company and many more will NOT carry or install these because of the way that Rheem has handled this and known about this for a VERY long time and yes they are replacing the parts but only paying a very small amount for labor and most plumbers charge a trip charge now to come out plus and hourly labor rate.

So you are in the negative NO matter what or how you try and handle not to mention you miss work, school etc for not being able to bathe for over a week if not more if a plumber is not available!! It is time Rheem took responsibility, why haven't they sent out a replacement to me since I have been in their system as having faulty equipment they sold in 2020??? So disgusted by their lack of concern or care for something that is SO needed in a home to function daily!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

Bought 50 gal. electric from Home Depot 2018. Now 2022, and leaking from top ,at both supply nipples. Rheem sent me 2 new nipples and I installed. Well started leaking 10 minutes after turning water back on. Called to claim under warranty. Was told to remove and bring back to HD ,and they would give me new one. To my dismay ,was told I would have to cover difference in price between the 2 (over $100). This is unacceptable. Why should I have to pay for anything?? Who's paying me, for the labor, materials, and time, to install, uninstall 3 times, then return to HD?? I shouldn't be incurring any cost on this.. Their warranty policy is unacceptable!!

Rheem Water Heaters author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem offers a wide variety of residential water heaters including gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless. Each water heater has Rheem’s National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) advantage meaning maximized performance and minimized footprint.

• Types: Rheem offers gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless water heaters with capacities ranging from 20-gallons to 120-gallons.

• Point-of-use: Point-of-use water heaters are designed to fit under sinks or detached structures and can deliver hot water almost immediately. Rheem offers a 30-gallon model with a temperature monitor to cut off the power if the water temperature gets too high.

• Tankless systems: For consumers looking for a tankless water heater, Rheem offers a variety of different capacity systems. Rheem designed its tankless water heaters to provide hot water to operate three appliances at the same time for an extended period. Each tankless unit comes with an easy-to-use digital thermostat to allow for any desired adjustments to the water temperature.

• Commercial tankless units: Rheem has four models of tankless water heaters for commercial use. Each unit comes with a high temperature chip option that increases the output water temperature by 45-degrees. All four models are said to be 84-94 percent efficient.

• Warranties: Each Rheem water heater comes with a limited warranty. Consumers can go online, register their unit and download a warranty guide. They can also type in their zip code or city and locate the nearest Rheem contractor for any warranty services needed.

Rheem Water Heaters Company Information