2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Rheem 40 Gal tank installed in October 2020. In feb 2021 tank started shutting down... 3 different case numbers. It's now september tank is inoperable. Pilot issues, part will take 2-4 days to get here. Already been without hot water 10 full days. Long waits on customer service lines, nobody cares. Worst company and product ever! I will NEVER again deal with Rheem products or furthermore Home Depot for installs either. Do yourself a favor. Stay away from both of these places and go with an actual plumbing company that does tank installs and provides the warranty!!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

You would think that a national brand like Rheem would have a warranty dept that answers the phone. Guess what, they have it set up to loop or busy out!! WTH? All I can say is that I'll NEVER EVER buy another Rheem product. I'll boil my water to get hot water before buying another RHEEM hot water heater.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I had this water heater installed by a professional plumber. This fcat is mute because this piece of ____ started draining on its own had to shut off water to house. Shut off heater and now waiting for part supposedly coming in mail.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I have a small apartment building that was serviced by a 40 gal water heater for over 10 years without one problem. In the last 2 years I bought a 40 gal Rheem water heater and it failed. I was told it was too small, so I purchased a 50 gal Rheem water heater which failed in 6 months. They sent me parts and it failed 2 additional times. Each time requiring a whole new boiler, valve, and thermostat assembly. My question is how did one 40 gal last 10 years and I can’t get 3 years out of a water heater with new technology and a larger capacity? My calls to Rheem were in excess of 30 minute wait times and 20 + callers ahead of me. Another bad sign!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

The Rheem 40 gallon gas water heater never worked properly, temperature could not be adjusted and stayed at 120 degrees, even in low or vacation mode. Customer service had 45 hold time, but finally sent out a local plumber, who believed it was a faulty temperature controller. I again had difficulty getting to Rheem customer service, but they ordered a new temperature controller which was installed by a local plumber. After running hot water for a considerable time with controller in vacation mode the temperature dropped but stayed above the 91 degree stated in owner's manual. The next morning I ran hot water on a home thermometer and the temperature shot up to 120 degree, the maximum the thermometer could read. Now I must call to get a third plumber out to correct situation.

The owner manual does not say it is a Rheem water heater and it appear to be the same water heater at Home Depot and Lowe's. Also the owner manual shows the temperature controller to be a brand name "Honeywell" but the controller provided appears to be the same, only the "Honeywell" name is missing. Bottom line; I will not buy another Rheem water heater.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Purchased a Marathon 85 gallon Water Heater from Home Depot and had to wait three weeks for it to be shipped from the east coast of Georgia to Columbus Georgia. After receiving the tank, and getting it installed, the “Vacuum Relief Valve” malfunctioned, saturating my drywall (which I had to replace). Called Rheem and was initially told it would be 5 to 7 days for replacement parts. Having explained my situation, they overnighted the parts. 30 minutes after receiving the NEW PARTS I installed the new Vacuum Relief Valve, and wouldn’t you know it, it Malfunctioned once again all over my drywall.

I called Rheem and was informed that I would have to pay out of pocket for an authorized rheem service technician to come out and fix the NEW water heater. So, I remove the hot water tank and returned it back to Home Depot. If you are in the Columbus Georgia area and in need of a large water heater, do not buy a Rheem 85 gallon Marathon hot water heater that is discounted in price. It will cost you more than you know. The Rheem Marathon 85 gallon Water Heater is a piece of Plastic JUNK.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

We had our water heater replaced in Dec 2020 with a Rheem Performance 40 gal that was manufactured in July of 2020. August 13th 2021 the S.I.T. valve went bad, so I contacted Rheem on Monday August 16th as it was a manufacturer warranty issue. Rheem was quick to provide a replacement part and tell me they would schedule a technician. Three days later no part, no technician, no hot water. I called back and this time was told the first service rep had misspelled information and they would fix it and get things sent, but they had no technicians in my area so I could pay a plumber myself and submit it for eventual reimbursement.

At this point I was losing patience, the following Monday August 23, we had now been without hot water over a week, but now I had replacement parts, but plumbers in the area weren't willing to work on Rheem products and the one's that were were over priced. We are on a fixed income and thanks to other repairs and safety upgrades our savings was nearly gone.

I contacted over 22 plumbers and finally just called Rheem back and told them they needed to send a technician because no one wanted to touch their product, if I had still been able to I would have gone to the basement and done it myself. The person showed no empathy so I asked for a supervisor and was put on hold for about 40 minutes, when I finally got the supervisor and was going over this whole thing I glibly remarked,

"I mean you guys obviously knew you were send out bad units, you have a line dedicated to the specific issue." To which the supervisor (Chris) surprisingly responded, "Yes we know." This company knowingly send out bad units, to be installed in homes, offices, daycares... what if the valve had gone bad the other way and not shut off? It could have blown the tank, because relief valves fail more commonly than you would expect. This is a bad company operating on bad policy and in bad faith.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Purchased new Rheem water heater. Installed in new home 8/27/2020. Tested pressure relief valve as instructed in Use & Care Manual. Valve would not fully re-seat and leaked to ½ gallon in 24 hours. Tried valve several times to see if it would flush out any material that may prohibit it from closing properly, leak continued. Called Rheem Tech Support at 1-800-995-0982 on 8/23/21. Sat on hold for 27 minutes before being disconnected. Called a second time, on hold for 51 minutes before someone answered only to tell me I had wrong department and they could not help.

Called Tech Support # again, on hold 37 minutes, asked for a supervisor. Was told that Parts Warranty only good for 1 year from manufacture date. I was given a part # and told I would need to purchase part for about $37. Told them I have documentation of when Water heater was installed and put into service, that doesn’t matter, parts only good for one year from manufacture. Started calls at 11:30 AM, ended 1:45 PM, over two hours. This water heater touts a 10 year Warranty, evidently need to get to fine print to learn that parts that will commonly fail are only given one year from date of manufacture. I am a builder and have had multiple Rental properties, this water heater was for my own home. This in my experience is the worst customer service/support ever, I will personally never purchase or install another Rheem product. Buyer beware, you are dealing with a bloated, self-important company if you deal with Rheem.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

I bought a Rheem gas hot water tank in middle of November 2020 and by mid June the pilot and burner stopped working. Called and waited on the phone for about an hour to get warranty and they shipped parts took about a week but they didn’t have a technician so I paid $350 for a company to come replace the parts. The parts worked for about month and now again I’m out of hot water and still waiting for them to refund the money I spent because they didn’t have a technician even though parts and labor were both under warranty. After 2 hours on the phone again they are sending someone in 10 days that is out of state to come look at the tank. After talking to a few other people who purchased Rheem products I would not recommend as they all had the same problems.

In the 9 months I’ve owned the hot water tank I have been out of hot water for a month, missed work to wait on a plumber, spent $350 out of my own pocket, and lost hours on the phone. Plus after complaining and contacting them multiple times I am now getting emails saying they would only refund $250 and then an email the day after saying only $150 which are both contradictory of what they said. They do not care about products' quality or show any care for their customers. Highly recommend going somewhere else for all products especially hot water tanks.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

These products are absolutely horrible. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. DO NOT BUY. I am on my third replacement. This one lasted the longest at 24 months to the day I installed. These things are just so poorly made.

Rheem Water Heaters author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem offers a wide variety of residential water heaters including gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless. Each water heater has Rheem’s National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) advantage meaning maximized performance and minimized footprint.

• Types: Rheem offers gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless water heaters with capacities ranging from 20-gallons to 120-gallons.

• Point-of-use: Point-of-use water heaters are designed to fit under sinks or detached structures and can deliver hot water almost immediately. Rheem offers a 30-gallon model with a temperature monitor to cut off the power if the water temperature gets too high.

• Tankless systems: For consumers looking for a tankless water heater, Rheem offers a variety of different capacity systems. Rheem designed its tankless water heaters to provide hot water to operate three appliances at the same time for an extended period. Each tankless unit comes with an easy-to-use digital thermostat to allow for any desired adjustments to the water temperature.

• Commercial tankless units: Rheem has four models of tankless water heaters for commercial use. Each unit comes with a high temperature chip option that increases the output water temperature by 45-degrees. All four models are said to be 84-94 percent efficient.

• Warranties: Each Rheem water heater comes with a limited warranty. Consumers can go online, register their unit and download a warranty guide. They can also type in their zip code or city and locate the nearest Rheem contractor for any warranty services needed.

Rheem Water Heaters Company Information