2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Original review: July 20, 2020

Bought a new Rheem 50 gallon gas water heater from Home Depot. Plumber installed water heater but it kept cutting off. He walked with Rheem technician and found the new heater had a faulty valve. After a lengthy delay, Rheem sent the new valve and it was installed. We tried to have Rheem pay Amerigas (he worked for them) for the installation. After repeated delays because of "missing" paperwork (we sent multiple copies), Rheem indicated they would pay the gas company. They have not and now the gas company tells us we are late in our payment. We have never been late in our payments to anyone!

Today Rheem told us they had sent us a letter (Right! We have received no such letter!) telling us they will only pay about 40% of the installation fee for that defective part. NEVER AGAIN!! Do not buy from Rheem. They send defective products then fail to cover the installation cost of replacement parts. Never again! Stay away from this company. Now we are left to worry about this water heater should anything go wrong with it in the future! What kind of company is this!! Oh, and their service department is a joke. Sadly the joke was on us. Stay away!!!!

Original review: July 15, 2020

Water heater working fine for 2 1/2 years, then stops. Rheem sends a part that I am supposed to install, can't. They send a tech, replaces two assemblies in two hours, nothing. So no resolution - stinks.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2020

We had our Rheem water heater installed less than a month ago and we recently noticed an awful smell in our hot water. We are on a well and do not chlorinate our water. We do have an iron reduction filter and water softener and have never experienced a bad odor to our hot water. We had to call the plumber out to look at the water heater because of the odor being so bad and were told that we needed to replace the anode rod to eliminate the smell. The anode rod that came in the water heater was not intended for well water. We tried contacting Rheem to see if this could be processed through our warranty and we were told it was not a defect in the product. It may not be a defect, but this product was not advertised correctly. Nowhere does this product say "For Chlorinated Water".

I am very disappointed in this product and this manufacturer for not advertising their product in a way that allows a consumer on a well to make the best decision for their home. We had our previous water heater for over 15 years with no odor in our water. Customer Service told us we can replace the anode rod and will probably have to do it quite often, or we can completely remove it and the water heater will not last as long. He also said we could add a chlorination system to our water, but all the options he listed are at our cost. I will never purchase a Rheem water heater or any other product with their name on it ever again.

Original review: July 11, 2020

Two months after installing a water heater we got awful sulfur taste and smell. We tried the recommended treatment using hydrogen peroxide to kill the bacteria. This worked for 3 months and then it came back, so we treated the condition again with peroxide. This worked for another 6 months. By now Covid virus was in effect and we could not buy the peroxide anywhere. We noticed water on the floor and I also noticed the electrical breaker had popped. Taking the top cover off, I found the insulation covering the top element and thermostat burned and the wires black and corroded.

I spoke to Rheem 3 times, each time a different person, but got nowhere. All they offered was a new element even though the whole insulation within the unit was totally wet. Based on the corroded condition of the wires, the thermostat and the element, we refused their miserly offer. We finally contacted Home Depot and spoke to someone knowledgeable, Les, the plumbing manager, and he agreed to call Rheem. After getting nowhere with this company, he spoke to his manager and suggested replacing the heater at their cost which they did. We hope this one is better but we don't expect to have the same life as our previous heater that lasted 28 years.

Original review: July 3, 2020

In Feb. 2014 my home warranty company who by their very nature replace covered parts with the cheapest product they can. That’s an issue in and of itself. Sent out a technician who replaced the previous failed water heater with a Rheem 48 gallon tank made in Mexico. It states it right on the model number and serial number sticker. This tank came with a 6 year limited warranty. On 6/28/2020 the tank failed and was leaking out the bottom, luckily I caught it quickly and was able to shut off the water and attach a hose to the tank and drain it before further water damage could occur.

I called a plumber who came out first thing in the morning and he took one look at it and confirmed what I knew that it had to be replaced. I asked why this would fail within five months of being out of warranty and he informed me that Rheem is a consumer grade product that’s not very good. As he disconnected the unit and wheeled it away, a stream of red colored water followed it as it exited my garage. I asked the plumber if that was rust and he confirmed that it was.

I asked if my whole house water filtration system could have helped the unit fail faster as salt is used in the filtration process. He and my filtration company whom I already had scheduled to come out that day to change our filter medium, both confirmed that this would not have caused this and more so would have helped prolong the system as no sediment would build in the tank.

Plumber installed a new tank made in America and told me that this was a solid tank and should easily last 10 years. I contacted the Rheem warranty department and explained my situation and the front line rep stated since I was out of warranty there was nothing they could do. I asked to speak with a supervisor as I felt this was just a few months past warranty and how it failed seemed like planned obsolescence.

A supervisor called me the next day and I explained my plight and asked if Rheem could do something given the circumstances. The supervisor stuck to his story and kept referring back to the warranty and that he couldn’t do anything. I even asked if they could do some form of partial compensation as I was out $1800 for the new tank and install. He kept to his company line and stated he couldn’t do anything. In business you can ALWAYS do something, especially for exception situations where it’s clear your product failed sooner then it should have. I asked the supervisor if he truly couldn’t do something or is it more the case he wouldn’t do something. That was a little to close to home and we promptly ended the call as I knew I was dealing with a terrible manufacturer who they and companies like them are more concerned with profits then manufacturing and standing behind their product.

Rheem is a common brand sold at Home Depot and Lowe’s outlets. My plumber would never touch them because of their shoddy manufacturing. Rheem is a key example of the current discordant atmosphere in this country as their business practices are focused on greed, period. Use cheap labor in Mexico, less than adequate materials for the purpose of the product and make their margins by mass volume through these national retailers. Staff your customer service with minimum wage or barely over minimum wage to dodge claim calls and ultimately only compensate as few claims as possible. It’s more cost effective to staff customer service and train them to avoid claim fulfillment than it is to make good when their products fail.

This company should be shut down, liquidate all its assets, attempt compensate customers who were in warranty and denied and proceed down the list as best as possible. Residual if any, should then be used to fund a start up in either America or Mexico or both and bring in best in class manufacturing processes to produce a truly viable product that the new company will stand behind. DON’T BUY OR INSTALL A RHEEM WATER HEATER. Install a better quality tank and pay the extra cost. You will easily recover that cost in performance as well as not having to deal with costs of home and property damage from a failed tank.

Original review: June 12, 2020

Had to call a week after our water heater was installed because of a bad flammable gas sensor. The plumber said they have the part but because we're under warranty we have to wait for the warranty people to send us a part. Then the warranty guy tries telling my wife that it's a easy fix and that she can replace it. Doesn't warranty mean they cover all labor and part cost?? I feel like the the plumber is supposed to fix the problem then submit a warranty claim. Not the other way around.

Original review: June 1, 2020

Bought Rheem water heater Dec 2019, failed May 2020. Called for warranty service and was told 2 weeks out for repairs. Unacceptable time and had to try on our own to figure out repair. Why is this our time to find answer.

Original review: May 19, 2020

They don’t stand behind their product! Totally shotty product. Our experiences have been problems start within the first year to year and a half. That shouldn’t be happening. Yes, your ‘parts’ may be covered as they are with most water heaters professionally put in, but remember, you’ll be paying labor for a plumber to put them in each and every time! Once you’ve bought it, I guarantee you (with few exceptions) you will encounter problems.

Original review: May 19, 2020

We purchased a water heater in 2015 from Rheem. The gas valve went out in 2020. While the part was still under warranty, the labor was not and the labor to install one of these units varied from $200 to $600. Our previous water heater lasted for 25 years as did all of our neighbors. This was clearly a faulty part and when I called Rheem to work out some sort of compensation I was denied, treated rudely, and put on hold for over an hour and a half. Please do yourself a favor and steer clear of this company!

Original review: May 14, 2020

We got a brand new water heater in 2017. Now in 2020 it stopped working over a month ago. We reached out to Rheem for a new thermocouple- per the machine error. It took several rude customer service representatives to get the part. Despite paying the extra 50$ to overnight the order, it did not arrive for two days. We had the plumber put in the new thermocouple and all was well....for a few days. Then a new error popped up 'high temperature sensor'...a few rude Rheem calls later and another overnight (read: two days) package later, we get the part. Pay yet another plumber to put the part in and all is well...for a few days.

The hot water stops again, the plumber comes yet again and the pilot light is three times as tall as it should be! Call some rude Rheem representatives and OH, they sent the WRONG PART AND WILL NOT BE COVERING THE PLUMBER INSTALLATION FOR THE WRONG PART THEY SENT!!?! Two days later and we're still waiting for the "overnight" of the right part. Have never been more dissatisfied with a company and will NEVER purchase Rheem and will discourage EVERYONE I know from using.

Rheem Water Heaters author review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem offers a wide variety of residential water heaters including gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless. Each water heater has Rheem’s National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) advantage meaning maximized performance and minimized footprint.

• Types: Rheem offers gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless water heaters with capacities ranging from 20-gallons to 120-gallons.

• Point-of-use: Point-of-use water heaters are designed to fit under sinks or detached structures and can deliver hot water almost immediately. Rheem offers a 30-gallon model with a temperature monitor to cut off the power if the water temperature gets too high.

• Tankless systems: For consumers looking for a tankless water heater, Rheem offers a variety of different capacity systems. Rheem designed its tankless water heaters to provide hot water to operate three appliances at the same time for an extended period. Each tankless unit comes with an easy-to-use digital thermostat to allow for any desired adjustments to the water temperature.

• Commercial tankless units: Rheem has four models of tankless water heaters for commercial use. Each unit comes with a high temperature chip option that increases the output water temperature by 45-degrees. All four models are said to be 84-94 percent efficient.

• Warranties: Each Rheem water heater comes with a limited warranty. Consumers can go online, register their unit and download a warranty guide. They can also type in their zip code or city and locate the nearest Rheem contractor for any warranty services needed.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team