1.06/5
Based on 43 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Rheem Water Heaters

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 19, 2018

69 Rheem Water Heaters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

The "professional" plumber installed a Rheem Professional water heater. Two years later it has failed and its bottom tank leaks. Turns out the thermostats were installed wrong at factory. Rheem claims I or someone else intentionally switched them. Seriously??? Warranty not being honored.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I bought a Rheem gas water heater and about 2 months later, it makes a loud popping noise and goes out. I call the company and they are rude with me. I have been on the phone back and forth with these people for 2 months and I still do not have hot water. The part they sent did not fix it. My plumber says it's not fixable and needs to be returned, but apparently the company is going to go bankrupt if they let me return the water heater and will not give me a return code. I don't know how many things I'm expected to do before they finally decide to give me the code.

I'm beyond frustrated. I'm a single mom with cancer and it's difficult for me to take my kids and I to someone else's house everyday to shower. If I had the money, I would trash the thing and buy another one (different brand) just so I wouldn't have to deal with this company anymore. I will definitely not be buying another water heater from Rheem ever and I will make sure everyone I know is aware of their lack of friendly customer service and a heart. No one should have to go this long without hot water.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 30, 2018

We had a new high efficiency 50 gallon #CNRHE50 serial #A251507425 Rheem hot water tank installed in 2015. March of 2018 we noticed that we had no hot water and there was some leaking in the pan below. Our installer thought it might need a Valve replacement but after further investigation he found it needed to be totally replaced. Thank goodness we had a full warranty for replacement. We are now out of pocket $551.25 for service charges. We are not happy and will never get another Rheem hot watertank again!

Original review: March 22, 2018

Same issue of low voltage keep coming back to haunt us (Rheem Water Heater Model No. XG38T06EN38U1). No permanent solution provided by Rheem customer service. They have send the replacement part each time but it fails in four months. They cannot send any tech to fix it or find the issue.

Original review: March 20, 2018

This is the 2 Rheem 360 gallon hot water heater model G65-360-1 that has leaked in less than 5 years. The 1st one lasted under 4 years but because Rheem only offers a 4 year warranty from date of manufacture not install we had to fork out $15,000 to have another heater installed Dec 2016. Going with the same model allowed for quick replacement which when your business is closed because of lack of hot water fast is best.

Now 14 months later our heater that cost more than a small car is leaking. Rheem comment although they have agreed to replace the heater not sure yet if they are paying the $2000 install fee was that they very seldom have what they call a leaker. When I told them to look up the serial number of the one the new leaker replaced the agent claimed we are not having much luck with their heaters, we would send it back and put in a John Wood but Rheem won't give us a refund. Be aware they have problems. Avoid a Rheem or any of their other products. A Wood heater will last years without problems, ask your plumber before you buy not the "experts" at the Home Improvement stores. They are going to sell you what they make the most margin on. Not what is going to be the best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Original review: March 16, 2018

I bought a gas water heater at Home Depot by Rheem about 1 1/2 year ago. It failed, Rheem labels the water heater not to take the water heater back to Home Depot but, to troubleshoot the problem thru the phone with them, after they “think” they know what the problem is, they mail you parts for you as a customer, replace them (like the customer is a plumber or a technician). It didnt work the first time, troubleshooting thru the phone again, now they thought they knew what the problem is, send another part, replace it. It worked for 2 month, and failed again. Call a third time, troubleshoot, then they authorized to take the water heater back to Home Depot for a partial credit... after everything you have to go thru, not having hot water for 2 weeks, paying a plumber for all the labor, taking the water heater back to Home Depot. It’s a very disappointing way of dealing with this kind of help from this company.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I bought a Rheem water heater in May 2017 from Home Depot. 7 months later it failed right on Christmas Eve. I called Rheem and the warranty part was sent quickly, but since they could not find any contractor in my area to do the work, they said I can use anyone local. I filled out the warranty claim and sent all the required paperwork back on Jan 2nd, 2018. First they said it'll take 6 - 8 weeks to process the claim. It's now 2 1/2 month (March 16th, 2018) and my claim was still not processed.

The last time I've called, I was told that they were back-up in the warranty claim department (wow... imagine how many units have failed that could create such a "back-up"), but since it's more than 8 weeks, they'll "expedite" my claim. Guess what, expedite or not, my claim is still in limbo somewhere. Very disappointed with how Rheem handles customer claim. No wonder no contractor in my area wants to work with Rheem. People, please don't buy Rheem, not worth it when you have to be hold 45 minutes on the phone with them or call them every month to check on your warranty claim just to hear the same excuse.

Original review: March 14, 2018

We have a 50 Rheem model #XG50S12DM4000. It is still under warranty but try to get Rheem. Suddenly Friday evening it stopped working and Sat. morning we called Rheem. We were told the starter was bad & that the part would be FedEx to us. Mon. I called & was told the part was just sent. We would have it by Tues. and a service company had been alerted for installation. The part did arrive on Tuesday and I called Rheem again to be told at first that no one had been called. That was amended to say the CNJ Service had been notified. When I called that company CNJ said they hadn't been called & weren't available before Thurs. or Fri. I found another plumber who found some other problem. Still no hot water.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I had a Rheem tankless water heater model # ECOH200DVLN. The unit was in warranty when it started leaking from the inside all over my basement. I contacted Rheem. They asked me to take some photos of the heater. I emailed the pics to them and spoke again with a Rheem Rep who told me that my water heater wasn't covered because my vent terminated under some deck stairs. I asked if he truly believed that was why it was leaking. He said that it didn't matter because it wasn't in code and they won't cover it. The stairs are for a deck and are 12' in the air.

Apparently Rheem looks for any reason to not cover the water heaters they make and sell for about a thousand dollars. I would stay away from this company. I have the pics they requested and a video of the heater leaking for anyone that might be interested. I also posted a video on YouTube of the water heater pouring water out. If spending that kind of money for a water heater I would not want to buy one from a company that doesn't stand behind its product.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Bought new Rheem electric heater from Home Depot had it installed and it could not get water temp above 85 degrees. Called Rheem and after on hold for 20 minutes said all they could do is send repair parts that have to be installed. Home Depot wants to charge me to have the parts installed. Now I have to get it removed and return it to Home Depot for a refund. Do not buy Rheem. It is junk.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I purchased a 50 gallon Rheem Performance Hot water heater from Home Depot a few years ago. Right before Christmas the digital control panel went out. I searched the internet and found out there is a recall on them. I called Rheem customer service and had to wait on hold for at least 30 minutes to talk to a representative. The representative was helpful and sent me the necessary paperwork to fill out. They authorized the repair to be up to $250.00. I had to call Mac Plumbing and the part was delivered and installed on Christmas Eve. So appreciative to get hot water back.

I sent all necessary papers to Rheem for the reimbursement right away along with the proof of payment. Rheem never confirmed they received the necessary information. I called Rheem customer service to verify they received the necessary paperwork to process the form. I spent at least 45 minutes on hold. I talk to the representative and he verified they have the necessary paperwork. Then I got disconnected. It is Feb 18th and I have not received the reimbursement of $249.00 they authorized to get the recall repairs complete. I am totally disappointed with Rheems customer service. It is unsatisfactory!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

My A.O. Smith water heater began to leak so I went to Home Depot and purchased a 50-gallon electric heater. I installed it and turned it on. Everything seemed normal but the next morning as I was checking it for leaks, I noticed water on the very top of the heater. I thought it was one of my connections but upon further inspection found it to be coming from under the cap. I tightened the two nipples that were mounted by the factory and tightened my home connections. The next day there was water again.

I called Rheem and they sent out a plumber and he installed two new nipples sent from Rheem. The next day more leaks. Rheem told me to take it back to HD and they would pay the plumber to take it. He brought a new tank and installed yesterday and this morning there was water all over the top! This is nothing but faulty manufacturing! Two tanks in a row that leak internally? Something is wrong with Rheem. I asked the Rheem rep if they had a problem with certain models and he said no.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Bought a hot water tank Feb 2018. 5 days later it went out! Water leaks no hot water! Called customer service and they said, "Maybe get you someone tomorrow?" I can't afford to pay again to have their faulty water tank replaced? And why should I? It was ONLY 4-5 days old? Yet customer service said maybe tomorrow??? So I called again the c/s department to check if someone would be coming Wed Feb. 14th. The man Mike was very rude. I asked if he could see if someone would be coming to repair my water heater? He asked for model # on heater which I didn't have. I was calling from work on my lunch break. Then was told maybe he could get it under my name? Ok good idea.

He found a Mr. Build repair person listed and should call me tomorrow. I ask Mike, "Will I get this issue fixed by tomorrow?" "The tech. makes the decision?" "O.k? Yet will it be fixed tomorrow?" Mike said, "I DON'T KNOW!" Either he orders parts or if 2 people are need to replace the tank he would have to get someone? I was in shock not just by the tone of this man's voice of being irritated yet that a company LIKE Rheem can't take care of the issue in a timely and professional manner. We should go without hot water for 3 days or more on a hot water tank bought through HOME DEPOT 4-5 days earlier? Still under warranty (90 days). And inconvenience us for product failure? And pay another $300.00 plus to have it installed???

Then I tried to return technician call. Left at 3:45 pm to my home? I call the technician... Not only that night after getting home from work at 7 pm leaving a message I also called the technician at 8 am Wed morning and at 9:30 am both leaving messages no real person guarantying they would return a call. And still here at 10:15 am. NO return call to confirm. They would be here between 4 pm and 7 pm. NOW still wondering will we have HOT water tonight??? Happy Valentines DAY right.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I bought a 40 gal Rheem "SHORTY" electric heater from Home Depot. Installed it and it tripped the breaker about 6 hours after I turned it on. I discovered that, on the lower element one wire was pushed onto the other contact during manufacture. I separated the two wires and everything was fine for about 2 weeks. Then I noticed the breaker tripped again, I reset it and about 3 min later I smelled electrical burning, we all know the smell. Opened the crawl space door to see the whole side of the heater engulfed in flames. Ran and got my kitchen extinguisher and dove under the house to get it put out. After literally 58 minutes waiting on hold, Rheems answer was they would refund my money on the heater.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

After just over a year my new Rheem gas water heater failed. OK, parts fail. But just try to get a replacement. Hours of phone waiting, multiple promises to overnight the part, and 5 days later still no part and no idea when I can get one. Terrible. Don't buy Rheem.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I bought my Rheem water heater 2 years ago. Recently, the pilot light has been going out. As a single gal, who is not very handy, I thought I was making a great purchase given the product came with a 6 year warranty. Much to my dismay, I found out that the warranty is only a parts warranty! Now I have to wait a few days to receive the parts in the mail and figure out how to install them myself... And, once again, be without the ability to take a hot shower in the meantime! I had my previous water heater for nearly 20 years, without a problem and this one defaults after just 2!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

For years I always trusted Rheem but after several weeks I have been trying to get help and no response. There are multiple people saying that the gas valve on the hot water heaters are bad. It's true. I called customer service and the girl put me on hold and waited for Rheem minutes. Never got a response. Don't buy Rheem.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

We bought ten of the direct vent models for our 10 apartments and they turned out to be the worst nightmare we got into. Everyone has failed either with hard lockout or leaking at the drain valve. Their technical support is always looking to deflect the fault to installation, venting or something else. Their use a plastic pipe for drain valve which cracks and leaks.

We was on the phone every other day to asked for support. Some of the techs came to their sense and request brass drain valves, many of them just insisted on sending the same plastic valve again. They never tested these drain valves. Everyone has a hairline crack which leaks out water making a mess. Every time this happens, it takes them a couple of days to send replacement. After I gave a scathing review on their website, they quit talking to me. I now pledge to make sure consumers do not buy these direct vent heaters again from Rheem. Please avoid at all costs!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

For those who do not like to read long reviews, all I can say is that I cannot be more disappointed than I am with Rheem. Simply DO NOT buy a Rheem product, unless you like dealing with a product of marginal quality, and a customer support team that is beyond incompetent. Early in 2017 our 40 gal water heater needed to be replaced. We went to a local store and found a nice Rheem (or so we thought) gas water heater. Had it installed professionally, good to go. Soon after installation, every time the burner lit, there would be a loud bang of a small gas explosion. We called Rheem, and they said they "...have no technicians in the area, call a local plumber to look at it and we'll reimburse you." OK. We did as directed. The plumber came over and suggested a complete replacement of the burner assembly.

Rheem declined, and sent only a small part. It didn't fix the problem. Another call to Rheem. And another. And another, with repeated visits by the plumber. Finally, after three months of back-and-forth, Rheem sent a full burner assembly. It fixed the problem. We then read the instructions on how to get reimbursed. It was quite complicated, and required all sorts of paperwork, including a W-9 from the plumber (even though Rheem must have had records of all calls and directions). I submitted the paperwork via email. I waited. And waited. No acknowledgment of receipt of paperwork. I called Rheem. After being put on hold for 1/2 hour, I finally talked to a representative. They claim that my reimbursement had never arrived (this is email, folks, if it doesn't arrive, you get a bounce-back message). I patiently resubmitted the paperwork via email. And waited. And waited.

I called again 2 months later. By this time the fun had dragged on for 5 months. The rep said that the paperwork had been received, but that it was "under review" and a decision would be made "whether or not to refund" within 6 weeks. Six weeks passed. No check. The clock is now at 6 1/2 months in this story. At about 8 weeks, I tried calling again. The customer service option when calling Rheem was disconnected. I tried calling the contractor line, but they would not talk to me unless I had a contractor license number. I told them that the residential customer line was disconnected, and they babbled something about a technical problem. Right. Sure... I went to the plumber and asked for assistance. They called the contractor line, spoke to someone, and that person said the check would be sent immediately, and that there had been a problem with the paperwork I had sent (they had never told me this).

When the plumber asked what the problem was, the Rheem representative couldn't be specific. At this point I was getting ready to go to small claims court. Three weeks after the plumber's call, the check finally arrived. I've deposited it, and, based on historical activities, have my fingers crossed that it doesn't bounce. In the end, Rheem reimbursed us over $600 for repairs to an $800 water heater. If they had just authorized the full burner assembly requested at the first call, it would have been closer to $150. I have dealt with terrible customer service in my past, but this is a new low. And sadly, from what I understand, this is a more common occurrence than any decent company should allow. DO NOT BUY RHEEM!! By the way, the "technical issue" with the residential customer service line is still on-going, 4 weeks after I first encountered it. Pathetic.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Bought a 400.00 40 gallon water heater November of 2016. Unit failed January of 2018 (little over one year old). Gas Control Valve is no good. Rheem will not do anything about it. Saying the unit is out of warranty. Customer service for this company is impossible too. I was on hold to speak to a supervisor because I am not accepting that it's two months out of warranty and something major goes out on it and I got hung up on. Gas Control valve is a major part and it's over 100.00 just for the part. Not to include someone to put it in. Rheem, I am so unbelievably dis-satisfied that you can be sure I will spread the word in any form possible of how shady your company is and after reading all these reviews on them the faulty products they sell. I will never buy another product that Rheem makes. Ever. I will do whatever I can to spread the word too. Rip-OFF. I plan on making a complaint to the BBB too. 400.00 just thrown away.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I had a new 50 gal electric hot water tank install with a 2 year in home 12 year warranty. Unit heated water but only produced about 5 minutes of water. I called Rheem and rep. said a company would contact me for repair. A week later no one had called so I called Rheem rep. Said he had no notes about this and said I would have to hire contractor. I ask to talk to supervisor and was just parked on hold. I hired plumber and repair person tested all parts and said electronic brain was bad. No parts were available from any supply house and Rheem was not answering phone.

I talked Home Depot into an exchange and I got new electronic brain. I still have same problem and have been on hold for 30 min. now. They say I have $125 limit for in home repairs and I have two trips for repair now. New brain being sent. 6 hours of time dealing with this. Over 2 hours on hold and a hour just calling with no answer. New unit still not working correct for a month. I own many rental homes and this is poor service...

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I wish some told me not to buy this water heater from Rheem. Day one: the water heater will not stay on. We called and they sent a new thermostat. It happen over a weekend so that was 4 days no hot water. Here we are 4 months later and the hot water heater won't stay lit again. We've been on hold the whole day waiting for a customer service personnel that never answered the phone. I finally hung up around 3:30 p.m. to call back and find out that they are now closed. Are so many people unhappy with their water heaters that I couldn't even talk to a person? Guess so. I've given up. I guess I'm out of the $792 I spent because I'm buying a different new water heater. I don't have $800 to waste. This will hurt my family. Rheem should be ashamed.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Replaced a 15+yr water heater Oct 2013 with a Rheem. Feb 2014 pilot went out and wouldn't light. Service call to installer and they did manage to re-light. March 2016 again pilot went out. Would light but not stay lit. This time thermocouple/pilot unit out $400.00. NO reimbursement from Rheem. Yesterday surprise surprise pilot light out and won't stay lit! No hot water over Christmas weekend! It's unbelievable to me this company is still in business! And I am actually really upset with my plumber whom I have used for over 12 years for installing this piece of garbage! I think the professional out there should be steering their customers; who count on THEIR expertise, away from this product.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Your product and customer service is a complete joke. I purchased one of your hot water heater in March. From day one we had problems. Finally after a week of no hot water and your customer service department playing games and the service company you referred playing games, we were able to get a new hot water heater. With that said, that hot water heater has been leaking since day one. I called and they sent me out a replacement part but, still it is leaking. I then called in today and spoke to a miserable supervisor named, Shakir.

I called to get service along with request that my warranty that will expire in March be extended. He was rude and to the point of advising no and that he will get the service company out. For 2 hot water heaters to go in less than a 9 month period. What is that saying about your product. Also not extending the warranty even shows your own company doesn't stand behind its own product. Unbelievable! I will never purchase anything with your name attached to anything again!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Rheem gas water heater model 22V40F1 leaked 8 months after 6 year warranty expired. No help from installer or Rheem on replacement price. Poor quality item made in Mexico. I will NEVER buy a Rheem product again, as they sure Rheemed me! Paid $800 for what I thought was a quality product installed. My original lasted almost 25 years made by American Water Heater Co.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Purchased a new Rheem 50 gal. electric hot water heater in Aug. and it lasted all of 3 months. After calling customer service I was granted a replacement. After disconnecting myself and hauling it back to the store and installing the new unit it didn't leak for a whole hour, needless to say I'm severely frustrated.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I had completed construction of my new home in 2001 with a 40 gallon Rheem water heater. It lasted until mid year 2012 at which time it developed a leak in the side of the tank about half way down from the top. I was surprised that it only lasted eleven years when past experience was more like 20 to 25 years. I purchased a Rheem 50 gallon water heater on 6-20-12 and immediately experienced trouble with the lower element leaking. The plumber came out and removed the element, cleaned everything and put it back together with Teflon sealer.

I notified Rheem, but no one ever returned my call. Yesterday, 11-27-17 I noticed water in the containment pan. I pulled the lower cover and found the lower element leaking again. I tried to reach Rheem customer service with no luck! I strongly recommend avoiding Rheem Manufacturing water heaters. Looking around on the internet, I am not the only one who feels this way. What a terrible company.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My house came with a Rheem water heater. It was 5 yrs old when we moved in, after 3 year it started to leak and corrode around the top. We replaced it with another Rheem in 2013 brand new. In 2016 it failed, just stopped working. I called the plumber who installed it. He said nothing he can do so I called Rheem. They said I need to check it with a multimeter? The guy told me to go buy one. I asked my plumber who got on the phone and he somehow got them to replace the water heater, but I have to purchase another warranty.

Five hundred and fifty dollars later to be installed it was working but not as hot as our last one. Then one year later 2017 it stops working again. My plumber is disabled and retired, so I call Rheem and after being on hold for hours they tell me again to get a multimeter to check what's wrong. If is electronics or an element they can tell me how to replace it. First of all, my parents had water heaters for 40 years. These only last for year? I'm no electrician, I'm not taking apart a water heater and fixing this junk! I'm done buying anything from this bottom feeder. That is why they are in the home improvement stores. They are junk!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I moved into a brand new home in April 2016. I started having issues with my Rheem tankless water heater approximately 5 months after move in. It kept displaying a error code 12. The builder immediately had his plumber come out. We also included the gas provider in attempting to solve the mystery. After very extensive inspection, it was determined there were no issues at all with plumbing of the gas. Rheem sent another plumber out to change the fire rods. That seem to fix the issue. But, the error code returned approximately 2 months later.

At that time, they sent another plumber out to do the same thing. Well, here it goes again... The same error code is back. Rheem has been very unresponsive to my requests. My family and I have had to endure this nightmare for a year and a half. Supposedly, we purchased the “top of the line” unit from Rheem. However, the service I’ve received so far doesn’t reflect that at all. Rheem needs to do the right thing, and replace the unit.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Purchased a Performance Water Heater last Monday and had it professionally installed. Tank never heated the water. Installer was out the following day to check voltage and ohms and got a good reading. Called Rheem to authorize return and replacement. Rheem needed a couple more tests run and they stated that we could not return unit since it could be repaired. Asked them to send their repairperson to our home at their expense. They called their contractor and did not get an answer!!

I called our installer, who came back out, and called Rheem and Rheem took him through the steps to troubleshoot. When all failed, they said they would send a couple representative to Home. Representatives did not call or come to house. I called Rheem back to inquire when I would be contacted. I was told that they don't work weekends and it would be Monday before I heard from them. A week later - additional cost - still no hot water...

Rheem Water Heaters expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem offers a wide variety of residential water heaters including gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless. Each water heater has Rheem’s National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) advantage meaning maximized performance and minimized footprint.

• Types: Rheem offers gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless water heaters with capacities ranging from 20-gallons to 120-gallons.

• Point-of-use: Point-of-use water heaters are designed to fit under sinks or detached structures and can deliver hot water almost immediately. Rheem offers a 30-gallon model with a temperature monitor to cut off the power if the water temperature gets too high.

• Tankless systems: For consumers looking for a tankless water heater, Rheem offers a variety of different capacity systems. Rheem designed its tankless water heaters to provide hot water to operate three appliances at the same time for an extended period. Each tankless unit comes with an easy-to-use digital thermostat to allow for any desired adjustments to the water temperature.

• Commercial tankless units: Rheem has four models of tankless water heaters for commercial use. Each unit comes with a high temperature chip option that increases the output water temperature by 45-degrees. All four models are said to be 84-94 percent efficient.

• Warranties: Each Rheem water heater comes with a limited warranty. Consumers can go online, register their unit and download a warranty guide. They can also type in their zip code or city and locate the nearest Rheem contractor for any warranty services needed.

• Best for: Consumers looking for a wide selection of residential, energy-efficient water heaters.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs