3.9/5 (813 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Rheem Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Original review: May 21, 2022

On 2014 I installed a Rheem water heater. Throughout the years the pilot kept going out and I would light it. Couple of months ago it started going out every day. Told the landlord. This water heater has an electrical pilot. The pilot and burner are seal and you are not suppose to work on it unless you are qualified to do so. The landlord told me he was going to buy a new because they want too much to fix it. We changed it I decided to take the burner out to see what happen and found that the pilot was not facing the right way and you cannot see it unless you take it apart. Every water heater that I haved work on the pilot is facing the burner or close to it. Has anyone had the same problem

Original review: April 27, 2022

Would not recommend this product to anyone. They changed their policy since buying. The defective tank must be returned to store. You must pay the difference in price. Rude people. Do not want to listen to you.

Original review: April 18, 2022

We bought this Rheem water heater because of all the good reviews everywhere. One year and one month after the installation, we had a short circuit, because of a leak in the lower element. Electrician and plumber were required, as Rheem warranty is void after one year (we thought 10 years when we bought, but no, just one…). So it had been repaired and we changed the element. 6 months later, another leak appeared from the same place. Repaired again. Now for the third time, a leak bean. So after two years and a half, as the warranty is void and service very so so, we have to buy another heater… Extremely disappointing.

Original review: April 17, 2022

Water heater less than a year old keeps freezing up and high discharge alarm. Call customer service. Keeps disconnected. I have called over 10 time. Last time they told me there’s no one in my area to work on it. They would call me when there was 6 weeks ago. Just really tried of this junk company.

Original review: April 4, 2022

I have used Rheem for many years in all the houses I have owned but when a product of theirs is damaged it is a problem because they do not want to cover the guarantee. They always look for excuses not to cover the guarantee of the products and as a client they try to sell the most expensive parts.

Original review: April 2, 2022

My Rheem 50 gallon water heater started leaking after 4 years and was replaced. Rheem refused to honor the their warranty, mind you the heater broke after 4 years! We also have a water softener to mitigate leak issues. Left on hold multiple times for long periods. Obviously symptomatic of the many issues with their cheaply made products. Would never buy from this company again and recommend avoiding at all costs. Their reps are not courteous and don’t give a crap. Rheem wanted me to bring back the broken water heater to the place of purchase. Of course the previous plumber who installed it bought it so no clue where they purchased. Why would I need to return a broken water heater??? Answer, to make it difficult for customers to get compensated. The warranty is terrible and not worth the paper it's printed on but more importantly, the water heater broke after only 4 years. Terrible product, customer service and terrible company.

Original review: March 30, 2022

Purchased new tankless water heater from Rheem has never worked. Been on phone daily troubleshooting. 2 new parts replaced later and still NO hot water and not getting resolution from this company. I will never purchase a Rheem product again.

Original review: March 4, 2022

I purchased a new Rheem water heater in December of 2021, 3 weeks later the electrical heating control unit failed per plumber's diagnosis. He recommended exchanging and installing another water heater. Home Depot was great about the exchange but Plummer said I would have to pay for the labor as he has had problems in the past getting paid by some manufacturers. So I paid him and then filled a claim with Rheem get reimburse... I'm still waiting on my money and they are not responding to any of my emails. :-(

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

Unfortunately my experience mimics that of others. I thought that I was buying a reputable 50 gallon high efficiency hot water tank costing me a total of $2,059. My tank was manufactured 3/31/2021. I haven't had it a year yet and we are out of hot water. I called this evening the first call in waited 1hr 27 just for someone to answer and immediately hangs up. I mean before she could finish her greeting she stop speaking, made some type of gesture with her mouth then hung up. So I call again and just like the first call I held on waiting for 52mins, someone finally answered just to tell me, "Oh hold on. I have to transfer you to technical support." So I held on for another 49mins. Now this is the good part, someone finally answered just to tell me she has to send a referral to the technicians and they will call to me to schedule a service call.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I purchased a brand new Rheem natural gas tank water heater in October of 2020 and last week we lost hot water. I called Rheem customer service on Thursday and they said we need a new gas valve, it'll be delivered in two business days. We go all weekend with no hot water, showering at work and the gym. Monday rolls around and still no part. I call again yesterday and there is no order placed under my name!!! After we get the order squared away I ask if someone is going to come and install this new part and they told me a service contract we had expired in Sept. 2021.

I told them since they screwed us and didn't place our order the first time they should come install this for us anyways and they said THEY CAN'T. It's now the next day, I haven't gotten an email that the part has shipped and there's no tracking number. I call once again and they said yup, it hasn't shipped yet and left me hanging. WE ARE GOING ON ONE WEEK OF NO HOT WATER. I'm doing you a favor, do not buy Rheem! They're so useless and unhelpful and don't care.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I have had this water heater for 1-1/2 years and every 6 months have to have the igniter changed. Getting very expensive for the part and labor. I could have bought a new water heater (certainly not a Rheem though). They know they are having a problem with this so why aren’t they fixing it to make their customers happy. This Rheem gas water heater is CRAP. I always thought Rheem had a good name and quality product. Not anymore. Do not buy from this company. Only wish I had researched before I bought it.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I had a Rheem water heater in my new house, only 3 1/2 years old. It ended up being defective and needing replacement. It was very difficult getting any assistance in replacing it. I found a plumber to assist with the installation. I found the wholesaler where my builder purchased the water heater. After 9 months dealing with the wholesaler, I finally was able to get a water heater. I paid the plumber $550.00 for installation, knowing that Rheem would likely cut me a check for this cost. Found out, Rheem was going to let me eat this cost. I would not have incurred this cost if it were NOT for a defective water heater. I was told by a Rheem representative that this cost is not in the warranty. Sorry but very poor business. I will not purchase or recommend any Rheem products because of this.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

The pilot and the gas valve both failed one month after warranty for my Home Depot Rheem gas water heater expired. The 2 parts cost 700 + 150 labor. Same price as a new heater. Rip off company. Also Home Depot recommended a company who did the initial install who charged as much to install as the heater price of the heater. Don’t buy Rheem! And don’t go through Home Depot.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Purchased a water heater from Rheem and it stopped heating after 12 months and 1 week. Rheem said it is out of labor warranty and they will send me replacement parts which they did, but I had to spend additional $298 to have them replaced. DO NOT EVER PURCHASE ANY PRODUCTS FROM RHEEM. Instead, spend a little bit more money on a better product from another manufacturer. Rheem also offers the same crappy products under Ruud, Richmond, Paloma, Solahart, Splendid, and GE.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Hi there, I am a home builder by the name of Ivaan Interiors in Winnipeg, Canada and I bought a 60-gallon HWT from Home Depot last month Dec 2021 for my new house to sell. The hot water tank was installed on-site by a licensed plumber and electrician. The electrician found that it's not heating and consuming double Amperes as compared to it and tripping the circuit breaker. The electrician double-checked all the wiring but it didn't work and mentioned that there is some problem inside. We called customer service and they said, "We can send parts," and we have to get it repaired at our end. THIS IS RIDICULOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE. How can we repair and why should we spend another hundred bucks to get it repaired. We didn't buy this brand new product to take the pain to repair. The buyer is taking possession next month. I want it to be repaired or replaced asap. I would appreciate if this matter is taken seriously and solved immediately.

Manish

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Anyone viewing this before purchase please reconsider. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT! I am just an average Joe that is trying to help save you from these people. The product is not inexpensive, it is cheap. My water heater did not last 3hrs before flooding my basement. Rheem has put me on hold for over 3hrs so far, hung up on more times than I can count. Mike the supervisor number ** is condescending and inept, probably by design. Run scared from this predatory retailer.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Water heater heating element went out after six months. Rheem service department had no interest in helping or paying for repair after I had it fixed. They were rude, unresponsive, and unproductive. I will never use their products again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Rheem and Richmond are of the same company. They make the worst water heaters on the planet. Junk. I have been through 4 water heaters in 3 years. I kept buying Rheem and Richmond because they fit perfectly and they were the cheapest. All I could afford at the time but I would pay again next year when I had to buy another one. Finally three years 4 water heaters later I bought an American made one!

Do not by Rheem or Richmond. If you do I promise in less than a year you will be installing a new one and their warranty is a joke. 3-year warranty. None of mine lasted three years and I couldn't get anything replaced, fixed, refunded. Horrible customer service. Buy any other brand than this. Save yourself the hassle. Spend a little bit more money and get a good brand. I'm so sick of replacing hot water heaters. I hate that company. They know it's going to break in a year and you'll have to buy another one. I was foolish enough to keep doing that. Never again. I will not buy anything Rheem or Richmond for the as long as I live.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

So every time I have to reignite my water heater I add something to this comment. This is the 2nd water heater in 4 years, they replace the first one because it was fully covered. The new 2nd one lasted about a year and a half and started to have problems. I have received 1 head and sensor replacement due to 9 blinks. Paid to have some one professionally repair it. Now I am still out of hot water in December. Customer service is great but you have to wait on the line for 45 minutes. Just proves how much issues they are having with their products. They are sending another head replacement and sensory in case the first one they sent was a dud. Going to waste more money to have it install. Find another brand of water heater, Rheem seems to be living on their past quality and makes crap now.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

Purchase gas water heater August 2020. May 2021 gas valve became faulty. They shipped one out (2-4 days) and finally had someone schedule to come out after 7 days with no hot water. They proceeded to tell me that the gas valves for this unit manufactured between April and October 2020 are faulty and are having all kinds of issues. I was assured that the one they replaced in May 2021 that the issue was fixed and I would not have this problem. Now it is December 2021 and the gas valve has broke again. Only now I no longer have a labor warranty and I have to pay out-of-pocket for that. They do not stand behind the product. Customer service is extremely rude and unhelpful and they do not care whether you’re out of hot water or not. All they do is make excuses. I will never purchased one of these again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I purchased my Rheem 50 gallon electric water heater at Home Depot, new in the box. When I opened the box, I discovered that one of the two pipes coming out of the top of the heater was damaged. These pipes are actually called heat traps. The end of the inlet side was deformed. I called customer service and they arranged to have the replacement part shipped directly to my house which I received about 4 days later. They weren't able to supply a technician to install the part so they allowed me to hire a local plumber up to $150. The local plumber was able to install the part for $135 without any problems and I was able to complete the installation. I had to pay the plumber out of my pocket and wait for a reimbursement check from Rheem.

The reimbursement check took just over two months to arrive but I will say that the company did stand behind their warranty. It's unfortunate that the heater ever left the manufacturer's Factory in that condition. It makes me question Quality Control when something like this happens inside of an undamaged unopened box.

Since the heater had never been filled with water I suppose I could have tried to return it directly to Home Depot. The labels on the heater asked the consumer to call customer service if there was a problem, so I did work it out that way. This should have been a straightforward replacement, but was delayed due to Manufacturer defect. In the end all was resolved and I'm very happy with the performance of my new water heater. The review for this product would have been 5 stars, but for the inconvenience of this particular problem, I can only give 4.

Resolution response: Dec. 1, 2021

I wrote a review about the Rheem water heater, it was a very low recommendation. I have to apologize. After being in touch with Rheem I have to give them a thumbs up (5 starts) and Thank, Twin Pines Farms, (Conn) for their helpfulness and treating people like you would want to be treated.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

Bought a water heater in July 2021 from Home Depot - had it installed - started leaking on Nov 27 2021. Can't get in touch with customer service - tried many numbers. Web site is useless. Some of the numbers say "Can't connect."

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I had a new water tank installed about a year ago. Recently the gas control valve failed (a known factory defect, per Rheem authorized dealers). I incurred an almost $400 labor bill to repair it. Was on hold for an hour and Rheem refused to offer any reimbursement for the labor. DON'T BUY RHEEM! I have NEVER had a valve fail at all, let alone this quickly, on hot water heaters from other manufacturers. Would rate Rheem 0 stars if I could for both their responsiveness and customer experience.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

My water heater was recalled due to "fire hazard". I was informed by Rheem that the control panel they normally provide (free of charge) is back-ordered with no ETA. I was told that I had to return the faulty water heater to the point of purchase for a new one. I got the exact model, just a few years newer and had to pay ~$500 more for the new one, okay fine. Here is where it gets bad. Rheem's deal was to reimburse me the installation fee up to $450. I provided all of the necessary paperwork, filled out their forms as instructed and have email confirmation that my reimbursement is approved and a check would be mailed to me in 6-8 weeks.

Here we are over 10 weeks later, and counting, and no word from Rheem. They will not respond to my emails and I cannot reach anyone on the phone. What started as their faulty product, barely halfway into the product's warranty, should have been a free "fix" has ended up costing me well over a $1,200! I would have been better off to cut my losses and purchase a water heater from a different manufacture, which is exactly what I will do when this one craps out before the warranty period is up. I held up my end of the deal, they will not hold up theirs.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

What is even more unacceptable is their customer service. Rude and ignorant. They do not care. They are aware the control switch is problematic but they could care less. Their contractors also do not care. They will get to you whenever they want and you are at their mercy.... Could be a week without hot water... Nobody cares. They have to send you the part, then you will get scheduled whenever.... Good luck getting ahold of anyone live. My first call put me on hold - "You are number 52, wait time 88 minutes."

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

One week before water heater warranty expired, it had problems. Did some troubleshooting, and determined that most likely, the upper element had burned out. Called their customer service, and that's when things got ugly. Gave first person the model/serial numbers and was transferred to their technical service line. Wait time: 86 minutes! Well, what ya gonna do? So I waited...after 1-1/2 hours, I got a technician; explained the issue and was then informed that I had been connected to the GAS water heater line.

The first person had transposed two numbers of my serial number and sent me to the wrong line. Seriously. Said I had to transfer to electric queue. Transferred me. Wait time: 84 minutes! Oh, no...not doing that dance again. Hung up and dialed back in. Got to their first level again - explained problem and requested assistance. Was assured I could be transferred to electric tech line and would be bumped up in the queue. Transferred. Wait time: 88 minutes! Seriously? Hung up again and called back. Again. Received immediate message that they were closed. At 10 minutes before 8:00. So much for their "Assistance available 24/7" sticker on the water heater. So now, I will have to call back...again...and waste 2 hours...again...all just to get a new heating element sent to me. Ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

I have 2 homes. Both had brand new Rheem tanks. Neither lasted 6 months. Customer service despicable. They sell you garbage. Take your money. Hour long wait times to get thru to a human. Offer to replace after hours of calling. Weekdays ONLY. My one home had 3 replacements. Other home had 2. 5 tanks total. None worked. Has one job. HEAT WATER. Threw them both away and paid out of pocket for a reputable brand.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

I have now bought 2 Rheem water heaters in less than 5 years.. The first one had the burner and ignition fail. The second one started leaking at the bottom in less than 2 years. Customer service is not only difficult to get on the line but unhelpful once you do. Avoid this company at all costs!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Cynthia worked with me to diagnose the issue of my system (where a water leak was coming from). Doing this over a phone, without visuals is a nightmare, but Cynthia made it easy. She even creatively came up with an idea to Google the Model Number and view the same Google Image so we can ensure we're talking about the same thing. This greatly expedited the troubleshooting and made me more confident that she understood what I was experiencing. She even delighted me with just how wonderful of a Warranty I had on my unit. She was professional, caring, and it felt like she was genuinely concerned with my issue and wanted to assist in its resolution. Put simply, it felt like we were working TOGETHER.

I've talked to many Support Centers ranging from technical to basic retail, this has been, by far, the most effective for the time spent, and enjoyable. It was lovely working with Cynthia and I hope she gets the proper recognition to encourage her to continue, even through the more difficult customers, and to set an example for others! This was my first experience with Rheem, and specifically because of Cynthia, I've been blown away. This will be THE company I mention whenever a Water Heater comes up in conversation. The actual labor, parts, and fix isn't implemented yet and only have been put in place (I've received very clear and prompt emails about the expectations and next steps, thank you!), so I can't comment on the actual technicians or parts. So this Review is specifically for Cynthia herself. Well done, and thank you!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

We bought the 30 gallon water heater March 3, 2021 and was installed the next day. The tank started large amounts of water from all over the tank. We had to turn off the water supply since we could not get it to stop leaking. I thought Rheem was a good brand but I am finding out that it is not. To top it off I have tried calling their help phone line 6 times and each time I just get disconnected the last 2 times I called. The first time I called 800-621-5622 the calls never picked up, never went through or the recording said there would be a 1 hour and a half wait. Not very good customer service! We need help and a new water heater. It should last longer than 9 months. Someone needs to call me at ** and ask for John B.

Rheem Water Heaters Company Information