Rheem Water Heaters

• 7%
  • 2%
  • 74%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Reviewed April 17, 2024

I had a 29.5 gal. hot water installed 2 years ago. Yesterday, I re-lit the pilot and it worked for 12 hours. This morning there wasn't even a red light blinking. Just like everything these days, nothing is meant to last long. Sad.

Coverage

Reviewed April 17, 2024

There is no option for zero stars. NEVER buy a Rheem product whatever you do. Ours rusted out just past the 5-year warranty like it was designed to do? The flooding is not too bad as it is in the garage. Do not put this product in your house! We had problems with the pilot light within the 1st month which was not a big deal, just remove the protective cover and it works but we don't have kids. BTW, this is the first review that I have ever written on the internet for some context.

CoveragePrice

Reviewed April 15, 2024

Got Rheem 40 gal brand new and leaked from the tank after 2 yrs. Flooded the basement. To make things worst, they want me to remove it and bring the tank to Home Depot. They will not cover for labor cost even it is within warranty. After 2 yrs only, already leaking. Never buy this product.

CoveragePrice

Reviewed April 11, 2024

I bought a 30 gallon lowboy Rheem short height water heater from Home Depot. 489 The threaded pipe coming out of the top for the cold water to come in leaked on the first one I bought. It's leaking from where it's threaded into the tank at the factory. You can see it bubbling and leaking out in the short video. Yes I bled the air out properly. The next two videos is the second tank they gave me to replace it - both the hot and cold pipe in the top and the pressure release valve in the center all leaked from where they were threaded in to the tank. THE VIDEOS OF IT LEAKING IS WHAT PROVED TO THE STORE IT WAS JUNK BOTH TIMES- WELL WORTH IT TO DO. So keep in mind I'm working for a rental property company and the first existing tank that went bad was 30 inches high. This Rheem was 39 inches high which meant altering and redoing the water lines to be 9 inches higher.

PAY ATTENTION TO THE HEIGHT OF YOUR TANK SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO REDO PLUMBING. So time wasted doing this. Then drain down the tank of all the water in it. Disconnect it and haul back to store. Waste an hour arguing to get a replacement. Drive back and re install. Another junk tank. Drain down. Disconnect. Haul back to store. Go to a pro plumbing supply house ao brand 780. This one is 30 inches high. Redo the water lines back to 30 inches tall. Look like a complete moron to your boss by this time. Because he refuses to think two of the tanks in a row could be bad- had to be me screwing up. (I've put in a million tanks in my 58 years FYI)

Their quality control is absolutely non existent and to be honest - not surprising. Reason being the box stores dictate to the manufacturer what they want to pay for an item. Say this tank - home d wants to pay 200 for it. The tank costs the manufacturer 300 to make a good quality tank with good quality parts - guess what? They change the quality of the parts to cheapen them to make it meet the price point home d wants to pay.

Same with appliances - worst place to buy an appliance is HD or Lowes. All junk quality parts inside them. Whirlpool owns like 15 or 20 other brands. Less expensive brands - less quality parts. Perfect example at home D is Bosch bulldog hammer drill. Junk. The Bosch bulldog extreme - is the real deal German made in Germany - not cheapened drill and 100 bucks more. Look up reviews on both and you'll see. Go to a pro supply house - **the warranty doesn't mean damn thing if they don't stand behind it. **It's just a marketing lie to get you to buy junk. A ten year warranty on junk they paid 20 bucks to make is all it is.

The long way to be absolutely sure-- Best way is connect cold water line coming into tank. Let it fill tank with valve barely cracked open and air escaping through hot water pipe coming out of tank til water filling it reaches the hot water pipe. Shut the valve. You have to watch especially when the water gets close to the bottom of the pipe for hot water on the tank. This will take a good bit of time and you watching it fill the entire time. This way it's full of water and the air is all escaped. Then open all your faucets and connect hot water pipe. Barely crack cold water coming in valve open. All faucets open to Let air escape from piping in the house then water will reach faucets they will hiss or whistle for a good while as air escapes from pipes in the house- then once water reaches faucets let it run a few minutes so any trapped air will escape.

You'll see water stutter several times as pockets of trapped air come out. Shut faucets off once it flows without stuttering for a few minutes. Now flip breaker on to heat it. Do not turn the breaker on until all the air is out and it's totally full of water. you'll burn the elements up if it isn't full of water and they don't cover burnt up elements from turning on power before the water is full inside the tank. They call it dry fire burned elements - meaning they were heated without the tank being full of water and all air escaped out of it. It voids the tank warranty. Hope this helps people trying to do their own tank to save a few bucks. Pay for a plumbing supply house price and get the real deal good quality products.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed April 8, 2024

We purchased a Rheem gas water heater in November 2023 because of reviews and their 10 year warranty. But since then it has broken 3 times which means no hot water for 3-5 days, dealing with a customer service phone call that will take you 20-30 minutes to actually speak to someone and then 30 minutes going through their step by step questions and no showers, dirty dishes for a week or more depending on when it can get installed.

3 times in 3.5 years is unacceptable. This last time our water heater broke it is now not under labor warranty so we have to pay for all the labor too. When asked if they could do something since it shows we have had problems with this heater, they flatly refused to do anything. This means we now have to haul the water heater back to place of purchase, get a replacement, pay for any cost differences and pay to have it installed. How does 2 old people do that? Rheem you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Reviewed March 18, 2024

Bought a Rheem water heater from Home Depot. I had to order the Tall 50 gallon 220v so we waited 2 weeks. Picked it up when it arrived 1 1/2 hours away. Got home and unboxed only to find escutcheons were not fitted square and not flushed, element doors were not fitted correctly as you could see the tank past the foam. Hooked up the water heater only to have it start spewing water from the element seal. Got a refund at Home Depot and bought another brand elsewhere.

Customer ServiceReliability

Reviewed March 6, 2024

Bought a water heater with a defective pilot ignition. Wanted me to wait 4 days for a replacement. Could not resolve my issue in a timely manner. Ended up having to take it apart and return to store. Reached out to customer service and corporate with no response. Will find a reliable product with better customer service next time.

Reviewed March 2, 2024

The 40 GALLON RHEEM in July 2022, and installed a few months later to dry area from previous water heater failure (AO brand). The Rheem started leaking a few months later behind the tank. I started smelling mildew but no water was in drain pan. A few more months went by when water shown. I notified Rheem July 28th 2023 and they sent me a claim form. A plumber determined that it should be switched out after removing the relief valve that had been soldered by the manufacturer. When I notified Rheem, I was told the labor expired July 31st. To make a long story short, Rheem DOES NOT stand by their products for manufacturer defect NOR abide by their warranty. IF they are not confident in their product, neither should you be as a potential buyer.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2024

We wanted a smart water heater to go along with our other 250 smart devices which run our home. Dishwasher, washer, dryer, fridge, HVACs (we have two), our pool appliances, and over 150 lighting devices, locks, security, etc are all smart. We travel a lot and prefer to be able to seamlessly control all aspects of our home from near and far. The Rheem system was easy to install. The Home Depot installer couldn't get it to connect to our smart home network. After a week of many phone calls, Rheem was able to help someone from HD come back and reconnect. The system ran well for a few months until a power outage. It's now been two months, many hours of phone calls between us and Rheem with no success. We have experienced Rheem employees who have very clear issues with POC, while we did meet one Rheem tech who seemed deeply focused to get our system back online, but he failed.

Their software is written in China, and Rheem doesn't control that piece of their business, so Rheem can't remotely log into our sandbox network and connect the water heater. It's been very frustrating to experience Rheem's lack of concern for their customers. If we could take this big chunk of garbage back to HD, we would, but it's been 8 months since it was installed. Avoid Rheem. Tech support is terrible (and some there have issues with POC). Product is terrible. Regardless of iPhone, Samsung, or Google Pixel Pro 6, no connection could be made. Poorly made product, and poorly made tech support team. I work in tech; If *any* one of these people worked for me or my company, I'd fire them in a heartbeat if they treated my customers the way we've been treated.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupReliability

Reviewed Feb. 26, 2024

My experience with the Rheem tankless water heater has been nothing short of a nightmare. From the moment it was installed, it has been nothing but trouble. Despite assurances of efficiency and reliability, this appliance has failed to deliver on every front, leaving me boiling with frustration instead of enjoying a simple hot shower. First and foremost, the unit has not worked since installation. It's been four agonizing weeks of boiling water on the stove just to manage basic tasks like washing dishes or taking a shower. Plumbers have made four futile attempts to rectify the situation, each time spending hours on the phone with Rheem's technical support.

The level of incompetence and inconsistency in Rheem's support system is mind-boggling. Every time a different part is deemed necessary to fix the problem, yet none of them have succeeded. Promises of expedited shipping for these allegedly crucial parts turned out to be empty, as they arrived via standard ground shipping, prolonging our misery. The sheer amount of time wasted on the phone waiting for customer service, tech support, parts, and shipping is unacceptable. It's as if Rheem is more interested in giving customers the runaround than actually solving their issues. This experience has left me deeply disillusioned with Rheem as a brand. Their inability to address or fix the issues with their product speaks volumes about their commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. Save yourself the headache and steer clear of Rheem tankless water.

Reviewed Feb. 26, 2024

Every contractor I speak with has unequivocally said that Rheem water heaters are the worse. YOU SHOULD MAKE A BETTER PRODUCT. I don't know why Home depot carries your product. The contractors recommend spending more money at the plumbing supply store. That way you get a more reliable product.

Reviewed Feb. 25, 2024

This is the WORST hot water heater I have ever owned!!!! I paid for over $8k to buy this hot water heater and IT HAS BEEN PROBLEM SINCE I bought this is less than 5 years!!!! I have NOT had hot water for the WHOLE weekend and told the ONLY THING I can do is get and FOR ME TO PAY AGAIN a contractor to FIX this hot water heater! I WISH I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT RHEEM and hopefully I'll NEVER have to buy Rheem AGAIN!!!!

Verified purchase
    PriceStaff

Reviewed Feb. 14, 2024

On Friday I bought a new Rheem 40 Gallon Gas Water Heater. It would not light. I first called Rheem to see if they could help. All the girl said was that it SEEMS to be the Gas Control Unit. It would cost me out of pocket about $250 for repair man to come out and fix it is possible. Rheem would pay $175 max if I sent the bill to them. THIS IS ON A BRAND NEW WATER HEATER. On Saturday I called Home Depot and they said bring the Heater back to exchange it. I took out the new one and dropped it off at home depot. They were very good about it. I took home the New One again and installed it. I was shocked to find out that it had the exact same problem (Pilot light will not stay lit and burner will not ignite) after Rheem Tech support checked it out. So now I am waiting for a part from Rheem to arrive. I have Home Depot ready to send repair man to put it in for me. RHEEM SUCKS.... Do not buy Rheem.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedProcess

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2024

This has been a horrible experience, ongoing. I bought a water heater in september from rheems. The gas valve has broken. Since it is under warranty I called for a new part. They said it would ship the same day if I expedited ($30.00)... so I did. And it didn't ship. Now I have to wait until tuesday or wednesday for it to arrive. so I asked if I could source the part myself :( and they will not accept a return on this part if I do that, and they will not reimburse me if I find the part sooner than it can get here??? How is that customer service? Oh I am so very unhappy with this whole process. I feel this is very unfriendly and unhelpful and inconvenient! I will not recommend rheems to anyone. :( Sad.

Installation & SetupCoverage

Reviewed Jan. 30, 2024

Less than a year later install. Stopped working. Instead of properly finding the cause. Rheem put the blame on me. Manufacturer's defect. They will cover parts but not labor. If you had built it right it would not of broken. Only thing they service is trying to do is not pay for its business bad products.

Profile pic of the author.
    Tracy increased rating by 2 stars.
    Installation & SetupCoverage
    After a positive interaction with Rheem Water Heaters, Tracy increased their star rating on Jan. 30, 2024.

Updated review: Jan. 30, 2024

After 3 hours and several people they finally gave us an exchange for the heater. If they are going to sell the tanks then they at least should have parts for them, otherwise don't screw your customers out of the warranty. Apparently this is quite common with this type of Hot water heater but no one tells you that or how to prevent it.

Original Review: Jan. 25, 2024

Had one of their tankless hot water heaters installed by a plumber in 2017, it was supposed to be good to -40 degrees, sent in pictures for warranty and was told no warranty, looks like it froze. Then we contacted a plumber to see if they could fix it and when they went looking for parts, they were told they could not get the part needed nor a larger piece that had the part needed and that the unit needed it to be replaced! It was a plastic elbow! Watch out for these guys, they sell product, don't cover warranty and then do not have parts. They have a pretty good money grab going on.

Reviewed Jan. 21, 2024

I had a brand new, 50-gallon, gas-fired water heater installed at the beginning of 2022. In 2023 it started leaking and I had to pay a contractor to fix it. In early 2024 the gas valve went out. I was told by my contractor that I had to order the part from Rheem and that Rheem would not ship parts to contractors. What a terrible policy. I have been without hot water for 5 days now waiting for the replacement part. I have been a home inspector for over 30 years and always thought Rheem water heaters were okay but now I will warn all new home buyers about the pitfalls of Rheem water heaters. I personally will NEVER buy another Rheem water heater.

Reviewed Jan. 15, 2024

We just purchased our house in June 2023. The previous owner of the house installed a new water heater in Dec 2021. We thought their water heater would be under warranty since it’s 1.5 years old however their warranty does not extend to the new owner. Issue #1: their warranty does not remain intact for a number of years but by the purchaser of the product - I have never seen any product warranty work in this way. Issue #2. There’s a huge quality issue with this water heater. It leaks and our hot water stinks. Since there is no warranty, we’ll have to pay for the part and labor on this 1.5 year old piece of junk.

Issue #3: When I attempted to call Rheem, their customer service number was virtually impossible to find. Issue #4. When I found the customer service number, they had me on hold for 40 minutes and then when the person picked up, the call got disconnected with no callback. I had to call them again and wait another 15 mins to speak with another person. Just an absolutely ridiculous company. I have no idea how they’re still in business. Would not have purchased from them if we had the choice. Will replace with Noritz or Navien asap.

Reviewed Dec. 28, 2023

This company should close its doors and stop selling the poor quality HWT to consumers. A brand unit had to be serviced 3 times within one month, and causing us not having hot water in the house with small children for 10 days. When trying to connect with customer service to replace the unit, had to stay on hold for over 45 min waiting for someone to speak with me, and then got disconnected because they closed. The worst experience I ever faced is with Rheem company. Don't buy their product ever, poor quality and pricy. I wish there is a ZERO rating.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed Dec. 27, 2023

Got a performance water installed, after 4 years it started dripping, the plastic spigot that drains the unit started leaking, apparently Rheem knows about this and did nothing to fix it at the factory, the solution is to let them know that part is bad, wait 4 business days to replace it, I could not wait that long and bought the part myself and had to pay a plumber to install it. Why do they make such a poor design and do nothing to fix it?? Do not buy from them.

Reviewed Dec. 21, 2023

Bought from Home Depot. It Rusted out and leaked Almost 6 years to the day. It appears to be designed with low quality components so early failure is inevitable. Unfortunately I did not purchase a quality heater with a better warranty so I blame myself for trusting in an American Company that was once a household name for quality. My advice is to pay the extra money and get a better unit with a longer warranty.

Reviewed Dec. 4, 2023

My Rheem water heater sprung a leak after 1 1/2 years with only a 1 yr warranty. That's over $1000 for a paper thin water heater. I'm a welder so I welded up the crack and blew through it like a coke can. They build that junk on purpose. I'm considering building my own and putting a life time warranty on it and putting everybody out of business. STOP SCREWING THE CONSUMER!!!

Price

Reviewed Oct. 29, 2023

Avoid Rheem Water Heater from Home Depot like a Covid. Buy AO Smith. I have replaced three in a two years period. Cost me thousands. Sometimes its sensor, sometimes it's a pilot. Lots hassle. I do have three family house Install AO Smith. No issues.

Customer ServiceCoveragePunctuality & SpeedStaffReliability

Reviewed Sept. 26, 2023

I just bought a newly refurbished home that came with a brand new Rheem water heater. The unit was manufactured two years ago and has been in use for three months. Last week it crapped out on us, so I called the customer support number. I was told parts are still covered under warranty, but not labor so I'd have to install the parts myself. A cheap pilot replacement kit was mailed out, and I watched a bunch of YouTube videos so I could fix it. Even this I find silly, since a trained professional would be able to quickly troubleshoot and remedy the issue instead of untrained homeowners. We are dealing with gas after all, and this should be left to trained professionals and not random homeowners.

The part arrives and we successfully replace the pilot kit, but surprise surprise that apparently wasn't the issue. I called the support line again only to be told that since we purchased the home the warranty won't be covered and we're SOL. The water heater was essentially purchased just for us and used a grand total of 3 months before breaking. I do not recommend Rheem appliances and certainly won't buy anything from them again. I see many freezing cold showers in my future.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 12, 2023

Purchased water heater at Home Depot In July, it was installed in October. This thing broke a little over a month after 6 year warranty ended. I call and was told to get an invoice from the plumber for the installation date, and that I could use that for the warranty. I then postpone appointment to get a new one installed, and go through the time and legwork to get the 6 year old Invoice. Then after a lengthy call and transfer to a supervisor, they tell me I can't use the invoice THEY told me to get! They wasted my time and scheduled appointment. It will now take days (without hot water) for me to get someone in here to install a new one. I can guarantee you, it won't be a Rheem.

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2023

Ie. Rheem tankless electric water heater. Was using this tankless water heater for 5 months. Came home 1 day from a trip to no hot water, when I went out to the unit I could smell burning plastic and the unit was hot to the touch. Customer support informed me that they were gonna send out a new circuit board and a triac, which they did and I received.

However, during replacement, one of the bolts would not back out and I could tell it was cross threaded. I informed them about it, and their response was to get a broken "screw" (bolt) extractor. I told them I was not paying for tools to work on something that I should not have to be working on nor am I qualified. Being concerned that my home might burn down. I informed them that I wanted a new unit. Their response was to call a licensed electrician and that they would not provide a new unit replacement. Way to go Rheem, America at its best.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Aug. 27, 2023

I can't stand new Hybrid water heater. Old one had touch screen and status for upper/lower tank temps, ambient temp and heat pump/heating element status. App wants address, GPS, Cell number and so much more. Some people do NOT do apps or/and have a "dumb" phone. Maybe privacy concern??? Having to fight Home Depot on warranty as they tried to prorate. Corp can't read black & white warranty replace with same or current model. Took Fri off and didn't call me on Thur cause "looking up warranty etc". Family of five went 6 days without hot water and went to hotel for showers. No I'll buy and homedepot can send me a check for full amount. Increase of $500 in 5 yrs WOW!!! No new features and removed free leak detector and "requires" app to see temps. Yes a little more efficient (UEF 3.55 to 3.75, or 3.88). Can't stand CTA 2045 and not required in my state.

Reviewed Aug. 20, 2023

I bought a new Rheem Gladiator 50 gallon Tall 12 year 4500/4500-watt Smart electric water heater with leak detection and auto shut off from Home Depot on August 7th and had it installed on the 14th. I’m still without hot water and find that the replacement parts are not in stock for several more days. Reaching ANYONE at this company is very frustrating, twice they left me on hold until their service hours were up and I was hung up on. As of today I am still waiting for a response and resolution,...AND STILL WITHOUT HOT WATER! If you have another option to purchase from ANY other company then I highly recommend you do.

Reviewed Aug. 2, 2023

Had our plumber install a new Rheem 40 gallon gas water heater in December 2020. 9 months later the controller went out which our local supplier said was happening on all the new ones. Part was ordered and replaced and although customer service told us they would pay for labor they never did. Yesterday this unit is no longer working. Will be replacing with AO Smith that we’ve used in the past. I will never own another Rheem.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed July 24, 2023

We purchased a home in April of 2021. Very nice home, well-built. One half of our home has a very large tank water heater. The other side of the house has a 2018 Rheem Prestige 11Gal Natural Gas Tankless Hot Water Heater. It is their top-of-the-line residential tankless hot water heater from 2018. The previous owner had set up a system with a pump and vinegar to keep it perfectly clean. I had all the same stuff the pump and bucket and hoses. Being the lazy person that I am, I just had a company come and flush it and clean the filter. I set it up with a very reputable plumber as a maintenance item, along with the other water heater. Two days after the last maintenance, we started getting an error leak code. I had the plumber come and he couldn't find the leak and we are talking a drip an hour type of leak so not easy to find.

We called other plumbers on the list of Rheem people and 3 plumbers later and 1100 dollars in automatic charges for diagnosis. The diagnosis is that it has a leak and we have replaced two parts and it is now shooting other codes. We just bought another Rheem from Home Depot yesterday, we purchased a new Rheem. Not because I trust their brand, No, I have very little faith. I purchased the same brand with the new and improved Platinum Series. It was 1700.00+ at Home Depot. I purchased it because the installation is generally 2-3k dollars. By using the similar product the installation should be much easier. We are going to be holding our breath that this is the end for a while. To say the least, not that much of a Rheem fan, even though they were the it back when I was a kid.

Rheem Water Heaters Company Information