2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I have a small apartment building that was serviced by a 40 gal water heater for over 10 years without one problem. In the last 2 years I bought a 40 gal Rheem water heater and it failed. I was told it was too small, so I purchased a 50 gal Rheem water heater which failed in 6 months. They sent me parts and it failed 2 additional times. Each time requiring a whole new boiler, valve, and thermostat assembly. My question is how did one 40 gal last 10 years and I can’t get 3 years out of a water heater with new technology and a larger capacity? My calls to Rheem were in excess of 30 minute wait times and 20 + callers ahead of me. Another bad sign!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

The Rheem 40 gallon gas water heater never worked properly, temperature could not be adjusted and stayed at 120 degrees, even in low or vacation mode. Customer service had 45 hold time, but finally sent out a local plumber, who believed it was a faulty temperature controller. I again had difficulty getting to Rheem customer service, but they ordered a new temperature controller which was installed by a local plumber. After running hot water for a considerable time with controller in vacation mode the temperature dropped but stayed above the 91 degree stated in owner's manual. The next morning I ran hot water on a home thermometer and the temperature shot up to 120 degree, the maximum the thermometer could read. Now I must call to get a third plumber out to correct situation.

The owner manual does not say it is a Rheem water heater and it appear to be the same water heater at Home Depot and Lowe's. Also the owner manual shows the temperature controller to be a brand name "Honeywell" but the controller provided appears to be the same, only the "Honeywell" name is missing. Bottom line; I will not buy another Rheem water heater.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Purchased a Marathon 85 gallon Water Heater from Home Depot and had to wait three weeks for it to be shipped from the east coast of Georgia to Columbus Georgia. After receiving the tank, and getting it installed, the “Vacuum Relief Valve” malfunctioned, saturating my drywall (which I had to replace). Called Rheem and was initially told it would be 5 to 7 days for replacement parts. Having explained my situation, they overnighted the parts. 30 minutes after receiving the NEW PARTS I installed the new Vacuum Relief Valve, and wouldn’t you know it, it Malfunctioned once again all over my drywall.

I called Rheem and was informed that I would have to pay out of pocket for an authorized rheem service technician to come out and fix the NEW water heater. So, I remove the hot water tank and returned it back to Home Depot. If you are in the Columbus Georgia area and in need of a large water heater, do not buy a Rheem 85 gallon Marathon hot water heater that is discounted in price. It will cost you more than you know. The Rheem Marathon 85 gallon Water Heater is a piece of Plastic JUNK.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

We had our water heater replaced in Dec 2020 with a Rheem Performance 40 gal that was manufactured in July of 2020. August 13th 2021 the S.I.T. valve went bad, so I contacted Rheem on Monday August 16th as it was a manufacturer warranty issue. Rheem was quick to provide a replacement part and tell me they would schedule a technician. Three days later no part, no technician, no hot water. I called back and this time was told the first service rep had misspelled information and they would fix it and get things sent, but they had no technicians in my area so I could pay a plumber myself and submit it for eventual reimbursement.

At this point I was losing patience, the following Monday August 23, we had now been without hot water over a week, but now I had replacement parts, but plumbers in the area weren't willing to work on Rheem products and the one's that were were over priced. We are on a fixed income and thanks to other repairs and safety upgrades our savings was nearly gone.

I contacted over 22 plumbers and finally just called Rheem back and told them they needed to send a technician because no one wanted to touch their product, if I had still been able to I would have gone to the basement and done it myself. The person showed no empathy so I asked for a supervisor and was put on hold for about 40 minutes, when I finally got the supervisor and was going over this whole thing I glibly remarked,

"I mean you guys obviously knew you were send out bad units, you have a line dedicated to the specific issue." To which the supervisor (Chris) surprisingly responded, "Yes we know." This company knowingly send out bad units, to be installed in homes, offices, daycares... what if the valve had gone bad the other way and not shut off? It could have blown the tank, because relief valves fail more commonly than you would expect. This is a bad company operating on bad policy and in bad faith.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Purchased new Rheem water heater. Installed in new home 8/27/2020. Tested pressure relief valve as instructed in Use & Care Manual. Valve would not fully re-seat and leaked to ½ gallon in 24 hours. Tried valve several times to see if it would flush out any material that may prohibit it from closing properly, leak continued. Called Rheem Tech Support at 1-800-995-0982 on 8/23/21. Sat on hold for 27 minutes before being disconnected. Called a second time, on hold for 51 minutes before someone answered only to tell me I had wrong department and they could not help.

Called Tech Support # again, on hold 37 minutes, asked for a supervisor. Was told that Parts Warranty only good for 1 year from manufacture date. I was given a part # and told I would need to purchase part for about $37. Told them I have documentation of when Water heater was installed and put into service, that doesn’t matter, parts only good for one year from manufacture. Started calls at 11:30 AM, ended 1:45 PM, over two hours. This water heater touts a 10 year Warranty, evidently need to get to fine print to learn that parts that will commonly fail are only given one year from date of manufacture. I am a builder and have had multiple Rental properties, this water heater was for my own home. This in my experience is the worst customer service/support ever, I will personally never purchase or install another Rheem product. Buyer beware, you are dealing with a bloated, self-important company if you deal with Rheem.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

I bought a Rheem gas hot water tank in middle of November 2020 and by mid June the pilot and burner stopped working. Called and waited on the phone for about an hour to get warranty and they shipped parts took about a week but they didn’t have a technician so I paid $350 for a company to come replace the parts. The parts worked for about month and now again I’m out of hot water and still waiting for them to refund the money I spent because they didn’t have a technician even though parts and labor were both under warranty. After 2 hours on the phone again they are sending someone in 10 days that is out of state to come look at the tank. After talking to a few other people who purchased Rheem products I would not recommend as they all had the same problems.

In the 9 months I’ve owned the hot water tank I have been out of hot water for a month, missed work to wait on a plumber, spent $350 out of my own pocket, and lost hours on the phone. Plus after complaining and contacting them multiple times I am now getting emails saying they would only refund $250 and then an email the day after saying only $150 which are both contradictory of what they said. They do not care about products' quality or show any care for their customers. Highly recommend going somewhere else for all products especially hot water tanks.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

These products are absolutely horrible. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. DO NOT BUY. I am on my third replacement. This one lasted the longest at 24 months to the day I installed. These things are just so poorly made.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I purchased a Rheem water heater, had an issue with it only 1 1/2 years into owing the water heater. Warranty only covers 1 year of labor, so after having a part overnighted, and yes I had to pay for it, part installed, the same issue was still there. At this point, I have paid $300 for someone to come and do work on the water heater and water softener that was messed up because of this issue. Rheem then makes you get the water heater uninstalled, returned to where you purchased it, and tells you that you will have to pay the cost difference if there is one. Mine was $400. Plus the new install, I'm out the door almost $900 and almost 1 1/2 weeks without hot water. Don't buy this junk, customer service won't help you. Better off spending a few bucks and getting a new one. Rheem is JUNK.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

Bought this new water heater in 2019. 10 months later per tech support the gas valve was bad, they shipped another one, we installed it in July 2020. Now August 2021 the same issue, looking at other options. The thermal coupler is new, the combustion shutoff is good. Vents are not blocked. My assumption is the new gas valve they sent was a rebuilt one or a faulty one.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I purchased and installed my Rheem gas hot water heater Dec. 2, 2020. For 7 months I didn't have a problem but then like most people on here my pilot light went out while I was out of town so wife had no hot water. When I got home I lit the pilot and thought it was fine only to find out it went out again. Saturday evening I changed the thermocouple I bought that day at Home Depot the same place I bought the water heater so that night after changing that and it not lighting and changing back to the old one I figured it was probably the gas control valve. Sunday morning back to Home Depot to find out none of them had a gas control valve in stock. The gentleman at the store called Rheem and right away placed on hold for 20 minutes till he used another phone to call again. This lady was helpful saying they can get a plumber out but who knows when, so instead she sent me a thermocouple and a gas control valve.

I had to go back out of town Sunday so another week the wife doesn't have hot water. The part arrived before I got home so I changed it as soon as I walked in the door. Took around 30 minutes. So today I called to see if they can send me a spare gas control valve because I shouldn't have to go over a week without hot water and this original one lasted 7 months so I'm sure this new one will go bad. But I was told they don't ship out spare parts. This was all after being caller 39 and being on the phone for 58 minutes before getting hung up on. When this one goes bad the water heater is gone. Heads up when changing the gas valve mine came with a screw in plug in the hole I needed for my pilot gas line, make sure to plug the other hole if you have to remove one because I wasn't aware of that and had my house smelling like gas fast. Rheem needs to plug both holes and let the consumer unplug the one he/she needs. It could save a life.

Rheem Water Heaters Company Information