Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Water Heaters Reviews

Original review: May 13, 2019

My Geospring electric heat pump water heater is 3.5 years old and has been making loud noises for 2 years already. Now it's leaking. I have had terrible luck with GE products and will never buy a GE appliance again. I'm afraid to call GE to get it repaired after reading all the bad reviews on their service and bad parts.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Warranty is fake. Your water heater goes down. Uhm wait 2 weeks. Hours on a phone to find out they won't even talk to you. Then when you can schedule something it's 2 weeks. Then when they do come they charge you anyway. They are a scam!

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Our G.E. water heater was still under warranty and for the past two years the heater kept going off and each time we spent 40 minutes or more trying to get someone on the line to help. They sent us a pilot part since the original had been defective. Then they sent an ignitor part because that had failed and most recently over Thanksgiving they were supposed to send a thermonuclear release device which they never sent. We tried repeatedly from the week of Thanksgiving to get help and were finally, after many phone calls and holds were told to get a technician to diagnose the problem.

We did, paying yet again for a tech, who told us that he could repair it but he wouldn't guarantee it as the heater was in poor shape. He advised us to purchase a new one as GE had had so many problems with their units that they had replaced them with Rheem, essentially the same water heater. We chose another and had it installed since we had been smelling gas and did not want to face personal injury or fire.

We emailed GE again and were handed off to several different departments until finally we spoke with one specialist that said because we didn't have the original unit there was nothing that could be done. We insisted on talking to a supervisor and were again put on hold until after 25 minutes we hung up. We feel GE was negligent and we will never buy a GE product again. For anyone considering doing business with GE we urge you to find another brand for anything you need to purchase. They definitely do not stand by their products.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I seem to have had a better experience than most. My GE 75 Gallon tank installed 12 years ago failed and started leaking. Prior to that I had no problems with the tank. My advice to everyone is that when you replace your tank, install a drip pan underneath (about $30.00 at Home Depot) with a PVC drain line to a floor drain or sump pump pit. This way when your tank inevitably starts leaking one day, you won't have a flood in your basement. Your plumber won't mention this, so you need to ask for it.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

GEOSPRING HYBRID ELECTRIC WATER HEATER 80 gal - Bought this water heater a year ago and it has had a fault code since day one. GE customer service is terrible. It took 3 months to get someone out (from Sears) and they couldn't fit it. I finally just gave up and just ran it in the electric mode which is not efficient, but at least have hot water. I'm very disappointed after spending $2000 on a hot water heater.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Pilot went out of my GE tank I bought from Home Depot. I went on the internet and saw many folks had the thermocouple problem with some went out in 3 to 5 years. I had mine replaced last night after two cold showers and noticed mine unit was installed 9 years ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new thermocouple will last as long. Even Home Depot has stopped selling the GE brand. I am waiting for a Samsung or LG to come up. Sorry American Companies. You do not have the quality.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

GE Geospring Water Heater - Installation instructions were changed to require a barbed tee to connect the condensation tube to the drain line. In 2012, that instruction was absent. The plumber used a brass fitting tightened to the plastic tube. Not possible to perform suggested maintenance without removing the brass fitting. This cracked the fragile plastic tube. Licensed plumber was used. I will be filing a claim against Lowe’s since it was purchased, installed, and an extended warranty from Lowe’s. Since instructions did not exist at time of installation, I'm not sure if I have a remedy.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Well... It seems I have had better luck than most of you who have this water heater... My water heater has been trouble free until for the first time the thermocouple went out yesterday. I bought mine from home depot 5 years ago!!! Will proceed to install a new thermocouple and hopefully get it up and running again... Stay tuned...

Original review: May 26, 2017

I purchased a GE water twice now because the first went out after 6 months completely and now the second one I've had to replace the thermocouple three time now. Can't afford warrant because I live on a budget and they are selling faulty merchandise. You can't use a universal thermocouple because it won't work with the GE models. I can't afford another water heater!

Original review: March 31, 2017

Bought a brand new GE water heater 2 yrs. ago to replace original, badly sedimented water heater. Bought a new GE water heater at Home Depot (model: PG38T09AXK00). The new GE water heater ran fine for about 4 months and then the pilot light suddenly refused to stay lit. Called GE warranty service and they explained that the thermocoupler which regulates the pilot light was of a "defective design" and they sent me a new one. After 2 days of COLD showers (it was December), I got the new thermocoupler. As I'm an engineer by profession, I opted to install the replacement part myself. This was NOT an easy process, as the mount for the replacement thermocoupler was reversed, compared to the original. Also, printed instructions were NOT AT ALL clear.

Anyway, I finally figured it out and got the replacement installed and had another 2 years of hot water - until the pilot light stopped working AGAIN. Did a little research and found that some folks have had good luck by removing the burner and lightly sanding off accumulated carbon from the thermocoupler sensor head. Therefore, I did just that and got about a week off hot water before the pilot went out again. Tried cleaning the sensor head again, to no avail. Tried a few other things, but nothing I do will make the pilot stay lit. Gotta call GE warranty support again for another thermocoupler replacement. It's March now and the ambient water temp is still very COLD and I have to work tomorrow and attend a charity event to which I cannot go stinky - More cold showers in store for my poor 50-odd year old body. All the while, my hatred for GE continues to metastasize.

Long story short - Unless you like cold showers in the winter time, do NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK WATER HEATER. Considering water heater technology has been around for about 100 years, you'd think GE would've gotten a reliable model built by now. Not looking forward to tomorrow morning - I'm so pissed off right now. I'd like to ** at GE customer service, but they're only open from 9:00 am to 4 pm Central Time, so I can't even get that small satisfaction.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE is known for offering kitchen, laundry and other home appliances for over 125 years. They have since added high-efficiency water heaters in with the various water products they manufacture.

• GeoSpring: GeoSpring is GE’s energy efficient, hybrid electric water heater. It operates by pulling in heat from surrounding air, only using the electric elements when needed. Consumers can choose from a 50-gallon or 80-gallon tank. The GeoSpring can operate in five different modes to maximize energy efficiency.

• Modes: In heat-pump mode, the most efficient mode, the water heater only operates the heat pump to heat the water. Hybrid mode provides quick recovery times while still using minimal energy. If consumers have multiple guests, they can utilize high-demand mode to maintain efficiency during high usage. Electric mode is designed for cold temperatures and only the electric components are used to heat the water. Finally, vacation mode allows consumers to drop the water temperature to 50 degrees to save energy.

• Savings: Even though purchasing a hybrid electric heat-pump water heater can be expensive up front, they boast big returns. According to Energy Star, the savings in energy cost will pay back the difference in a little over three years for a home with three people and only two years for a home with five people.

• Control panel: The GeoSpring has a backlit liquid crystal display (LCD). From here, consumers can adjust between different modes depending on their current needs.

• Mobile app: Consumers can purchase a ConnectPlus module with their GeoSpring water heater. The app allows them to control and monitor their unit from an app on their smartphone.

• Best for: Consumers looking for an energy-efficient, residential water heater.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs