1.37/5

Need a home alarm?

Protection 1

Since 1988, Protection 1 continues to grow and become a leader in the full service security industry. We strive to provide services to residential, commercial and national customers. We will customize your security system to fit your specific home or business needs.

Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today!

View More View More

Need a home alarm?

922 Protection 1 Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have an older home not able to hook up door or window alarms. Called many times to cancel. They always tell me to try this or that. Paid monthly fee for over year and then stop paying. Now they are sending me to collections.

Good Morning,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a voice mail message with my direct contact and look forwarding to hearing from you soon. Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Rhonda

Original review: May 11, 2019

Protection 1 is by far one of the worst companies out there for customer service. I started their service at my home in Oklahoma and then moved to an apartment in Virginia that did not have an alarm system. I could not cancel without paying close to $1K, so I had to spend a few hundred on a wireless system that rarely works. I finally moved in to another house that was not pre-wired, but had to keep the useless wireless system. I have called technical support many times to change the label of sensors, to remove sensors from my system, and to remove weather alerts that keep waking my sleeping baby (I already get weather alerts on my phone).

Not once have any of these calls actually worked. Nothing is ever fixed. I even called to change my last name after a marriage and they refused to change my name because “it doesn't matter.” Not to mention when the alarm actually goes off on accident, the wireless system is so slow that I can casually walk up to the panel to turn it off, and the alarm company is never notified and I never get a call from them about the alarm going off. In a real emergency the alarm would be useless. So I have an alarm system that I never use because it’s just a hassle, but I still pay $42 a month.

When I called last month to cancel, prepared to just pay the rest of it off to get rid of it (contract was supposed to end in October), my contract suddenly went from 3 years to 3.5 years! This is just shady business practices all around. Three year contracts are ridiculous as it is, but to suddenly add 6 months to someone’s contract is unbelievable. I have never experienced this type of unprofessionalism before!

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. I have had the opportunity to review the call when the DIY account was set up and review your account. I would love the opportunity to speak with you and have left you a voicemail with my contact information. Thank you so much for your time.

Rhonda

Original review: May 8, 2019

Protection 1 bought my former security company. I never agreed to switch to a new service and when my first bill arrived I immediately called to cancel my service. They kept me on the phone for at least 30 minutes trying to sell me their service before I eventually left the call stating I do not want the service. For three months I have continued to receive bills and calls stating I have an outstanding balance. They pester me daily. There is no one that can understand. I never wanted their service and never agreed to it. Incredibly poor customer service and it is still not resolved.

Good Afternoon,

I am disappointed to hear of your negative experience. I have had the opportunity to listen to the call in January to find out why your account wasn't canceled at that time. I have left you a voice mail with my direct line and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I moved into an apartment in March 2018. There was already an ADT panel setup in the apartment that just needed to be activated. I called ADT and was immediately transferred to Protection 1. They told me I would need brand new equipment and would have to sign a 3 year contract. Professional installation was not available, so I got a box in the mail and set up the sensors on my own. The sensors would not align properly because the door frame is raised a couple inches from the door. Even when the doors were closed, the alarm would go off randomly.

After 2 months of trying to fix and realign the sensors, I gave up and unplugged the system. It has now been over a year, and I still have to pay the $45/month charge for service I don't use. I called customer service to get options for cancelling. I spoke with the rudest lady who notified me in order to cancel my service I would have to pay an early termination fee over $700! It is easier to break a lease, terminate a phone contract, and get out of cable/internet service. I will never use Protection 1 again, and I am counting down the days until my contract is up.

Good Afternoon,

I wanted to reach out and make sure we have the opportunity to speak. I just left a message for you with my direct number. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Original review: May 1, 2019

When trying to end my service with Protection 1 last year I was told I had until April of 2019 until my contract was up and if I cancelled before that I would have to pay the cancellation fee of a little over $700. I decided to wait it out. I called today 4/30/2019 to cancel my service only to be told that my service did not end until April 2020 and I would need to pay the same amount as my cancellation fee.

Hi,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience you may have experienced. I have had the opportunity to listen to your call and would love the opportunity to speak with you. I left you a message with my direct line and hope to speak with you soon. Thank you.

Rhonda

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Original review: April 30, 2019

After using Protection 1 for many years, at some point they changed to ADT without telling us, and our home alarm system stopped working. Our alarm system would still go off, but they called and told us that the monitoring wasn't working, so they sent a technician out to "fix" it. They didn't tell us we would have to pay for this service, but then charged us $170. On top of that, the entire system stopped working after the technician came out. The alarm no longer goes off, there's no monitoring--the thing is dead, and they didn't refund the repair fee.

Now they are charging us a cancellation fee to cancel something that has not worked in months, and are threatening to turn us over to collections if we don't pay for a service that has not been provided! When I've called to try to figure out what is going on, I've been amazed at how rude and incompetent their staff is, blaming me for all of this when they are the ones who merged companies without letting us know, which caused our system to break, then they charged me for a repair that made things worse. I am also reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. I advise everyone to stay far away from this dishonest, predatory company.

Good Morning,

I am so sorry you did not receive the information we sent regarding the Protection 1/ADT merger. I would love the opportunity to speak with you to resolve your concerns. I have left you a voicemail with my contact information and hope to speak soon. Thank you.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Just like the review below me, LIES, LIES, AND MORE LIES!!! This company is so dishonest and does not understand how to treat a paying customer. I’ve been with Protection 1 for 7 months and they sold me by ensuring the motion sensor would be compatible with my under 40lb dog. This turned out to not be true and eventually I tried to switch it upside down as they recommended and still would trigger the alarm falsely. I then came to the conclusion that I would only be able to rely upon the window sensors to secure my home while using “armed stay” which deactivated the motion sensor.

Last week I was broken into and due to my windows being slide up with two separate panes, the window sensors did not detect this break in which the motion sensor could’ve, but cannot be activated with my dog around. After calling ADT they recommended several solutions which also are not compatible with a dog present in the home. The only other option I have is to cancel service with this company and of course they give you the typical “oh you’ll have to pay 750$”.

In the end they false advertise their equipment to get you to sign up and from then on you’re just a monthly deposit which they know the average individual will lay over and pay. Hell of a way to run a business ADT/Protection 1!! Also, in the contract they outline no cancellation fee shall be charged if: “Your System generates excessive false alarms due to circumstances beyond our control.”. This system is generating excessive alarms based on the equipment not being compatible as it was promised with dogs under 40lbs. My solutions are the following two: 1) Continue to use the motion sensor and trigger false alarms rather than running the risk of my home being broken into again. 2) Cancel my card info and let them take me to collections where I know they will a) not waste their money or b) understand they did not live up to their expectations which were promised to the customer.

I would’ve never bought this service if I understood initially the motion sensor was not compatible with a dog. There is never a supervisor present with their company and the agents are free to treat customers as they please with no discipline (now understand that from looking at previous employee reviews on Glassdoor). DO NOT SUBJECT YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY TO THIS COMPANY'S LIES AND MANIPULATION, TRUST ME!!!

Hi Max,

I have called you but the for some reason the call disconnects. I will send you an email with my contact information so we can work on a resolution. I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Buyer beware! Protection One utilizes sleazy practices to circumvent their obligations to their customers. Their fine print includes the following: "if you subscribe to Monitoring ... services, we shall program the equipment to communicate to our monitoring facility" and also says "notify us immediately if a problem with equipment occurs".

How is the customer supposed to know first if there is a problem with the equipment? Isn't that the job of the monitoring services? If the customer is paying for the monitoring services, should that burden fall on Protection One? Instead, they require the customer to notify them and they hold themselves not liable when they are collecting money but not actually providing monitoring services? Beware of this shady practice and note your contract completely before jumping in bed with this company. They will take your money but not actually provide you with any services!!

Hello,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I apologize to hear of your contract concerns. I have left a message with my contact information and look forward to speaking with you. Thank you and have a great day.

Rhonda

Original review: April 15, 2019

LIES, LIES AND MORE LIES. Explain to your clients you are Protection1 and NOT ADT. Originally, requested service through ADT. The sales rep Marlene ** assured I would receive service through ADT since I was expecting a credit of 200$ from American Express if I use my cc to charge over 250$. I will not be receiving the credit since these liars charged my cc using Protection 1 a whack third party vendor. What is even the biggest joke is I received a dysfunctional panel like the rest of their staff. I waited 2 days before receiving a working panel. Meanwhile, I’m pending a credit from my cc and now not only to have to return the product and will receive a 75$ restocking fee. I ended up on the phone a VERY RUDE AND DISMISSIVE AGENT. I will write a review on every social media platform possible and spend my TIME telling everyone one my personal experience.. LIARS.

Hello LaCitia,

I am sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. Protection 1 and ADT have merged so they are the same company. My apologies that this information was not shared with you. I have left you a voicemail with my direct number. I hope to speak with you soon. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Resolution response: April 8, 2019

Rhonda and Mike called seperately after listening to the recording of the phone call and have let us cancel the service now.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We ended up with a Protection One system in our home we bought a few years ago. We’ve just not been happy with the system and intended to discontinue the service once the contract was up. On 4-1-2019 we attempted to pay the remainder of the service cost and cancel the service. We had to speak to some guy named Quinn who was condescending, insulting, and refused to tell us what our remaining contract balance was. We repeatedly asked for him to just tell us what the total contract cost would be so we could pay in full and end the relationship. Quinn told us that it didn’t make any sense and if I’d just quit talking he would explain why we should pay more, so we could have a warranty and stay with them, while he ignored our requests to just let us pay the service off. To be clear, the hardware is owned and the contract is only for monitoring service.

Quinn refused and continued to push and antagonize us until we hung up. We called an 800 number for ADT and asked for someone to please help us to pay in full and cancel the service, but the nice woman from ADT said she couldn’t help, that we’d have to talk to Protection One. She connected the call and it was literally the same person. I told him again, listen, please just tell us the total and let it be done. He couldn’t help himself and told me that I have to understand that it’s his job to keep us as customers at any cost. This continued forever. He argued and said everything except how we could basically just pay them to go away.

Finally he told me we had to write a letter to cancel, to which we said, "Fine, what’s the address?" Then he continued pushing us and fighting until the phone call was a screaming match. We still have not been able to finish the business with this company and we will NEVER do business with these people again. Everyone should know how they will be treated once they patronize this company and ever have to talk to Quinn. What company won’t let you pay in full and leave? Protection One.

Hi Aaron,

Thank you so much for taking my call today, I appreciate your time. Again, I sincerely apologize for your experience, to know that you have received less than our best is disappointing. We do thank you for bringing this to our attention.

If you ever have questions or concerns, please feel free to give me a call.

Protection 1 Company Information