3.5/5 (921 ratings)

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

About Protection 1

Protection 1 was founded in 1988 and provides security services to residential and commercial customers nationwide. The company offers customizable security systems to fit your specific home or business needs, and its systems connect to 24/7 professional monitoring centers. Protection 1 guarantees that when you call for help, you’ll speak with a live receptionist.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• Smart home technologies
    • Highly customizable

Cons

• No refund policy
    • Installation charges

Bottom Line

Protection 1 works with ADT to offer security services for homes and businesses. The warranty is short and the company charges a $99 installation fee, but systems are customizable and smart home compatible.

Protection 1 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I'm up at 1:56am in the morning tired. My 80 year old father is up too, because we just upgraded a week ago but for some reason everytime I walk down my stairs my alarm go off and says my front door or garage door is opening. I call yesterday and they tell me a person will be out next Wednesday. I set my alarm last night. It goes off at 1:54am like someone breaking in. We all up running checking the house. No doors open. The alarm just went off on its own. I get a call and let the representative know what's going on. They tell me for someone to come see as a emergency call it will be $184. Hell no. We been with them for over 13 years faithful.

Then when they upgraded we find out my living room and dining room dont have sensors so anybody can break in those two ways and we always thought we had full protection in those areas and they want to charge me $280 to get sensors for those two rooms. Come on now protection 1. I'm gonna get rid of yall and go with vinvint security system because you all do not look after your loyal customers of many years and you treat like trash and think it's ok. I will be reaching out to the CEO of the company and let them know the treatment I have received and how I have to deal with this till they get a opening next week and how be up and cant sleep because I cant set my alarm because it just go off and your customer service and supervisors dont care per their response back to me.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I was a customer of theirs for many years but after buying an older home with an existing Protection 1 service I asked for upgrades and was told no... The service tech that came out to check out the service left the very old battery unreplaced and the back sliding door sensor didn't work... More visits didn't fix the issue so I changed companies and was then presented with a $750 dollar cancellation bill. Horrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

My equipment delivered on Aug 2, 2019 and I was told my 20+ reps my commitment was complete. 2 months later I received a bill for $718.06!!! After being an ADT customer for about 25 years with excellent service, when I moved to OR I was forced by being a hostage into a Protection 1 contract. The service in OR began on April 20, 2019 and NEVER worked and kept giving me scary alerts that someone was in my house during the night and that my house was being burglarized when I was out of town. My friend said the keypad locked up and froze and she could not get it to shut off or take the code either....but that is another story. After a very scary false alarm episode when I was traveling the weekend of July 27-28 2019, I knew it was time to cancel service. This is the short version of the nightmare I experienced, lots more details I can not include in this few words.

I did have a 5 month window to cancel the service per contract which I did, since I did not feel safe in my own home using Protection 1 service. I diligently paid the last monthly service bill of $49.99. I got a return label from Protection 1 to send back my equipment which I also diligently did, and I have photos of all the equipment that I returned in case you need that I can provide. I spoke to about 25 different customer service reps throughout this whole process, mind you, who all said my responsibility had ended when I returned the equipment. The equipment was delivered on Aug 2 which I noted on my calendar and I called yet another rep on Aug 2 to confirm receipt. I was told it takes 30 days to fully process the complete cancellation of the account. I assumed all was ok since the tracking said delivered on THEIR tracking number that they sent me to use.

So since the equipment had been delivered ON Aug 2, I did not think I had to keep the tracking # as I assumed Protection 1 kept records of tracking numbers since they issued the return label themselves. No, I was mistaken and at that time I did not know I was dealing with a fraudulent company! So fast forward to 2 months after I KNOW the equipment was returned, I have now received a bill dated 9/25/19 for $718.06 for equipment not returned! So due to their incompetence of not keeping track of THEIR inventory and incoming shipments for TWO MONTHS, they seem to think I am required to pay for equipment that delivered back on Aug 2, 2019 since they are incapable of managing their inventory? I will not pay this as I DO NOT OWE IT!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Issue 1: I first called to discontinue service and was informed I was done. I continued to receive bills so I called a second time and was informed I needed to submit the request in writing. Continued to receive bills so I called a third time, the information I submitted was insufficient. Continued to receive bills. Called a 4th time and they let me know they have monthly billing cycles so I was tied down for an extra month and they need 30 day notice so looped me in for an additional month. All told 6 MONTH PROCESS TO CANCEL.

Issue 2: I moved during the period of my contract, to this day, 3 years later, they have the wrong address for my service. Numerous calls to update address, they bill at the correct address but provide service for the wrong one. HORRIBLE attention to detail.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

This company is on my list to never do business with again. Watch out for long term contracts that they try to get you to agree to. When you do fulfill your contract and then cancel, be sure to document your request and ask for email confirmation. Otherwise you may find yourself with a your word against mine situation. I'm tired of doing business with companies that just try to squeeze every penney they can out of me. I am switching my business to smaller, local companies that have actual people that I can talk to face to face if I have any questions or issues.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

We have only had security system for a few months now and have had nothing but issues with it. The front door sensor, battery kept dying and saying it wasn't connecting, then you guys sent us a new front door sensor(and charged me for it). Wtf. It worked for couple weeks. Now it's not working again, for way more than a month. We are not happy. We would like to cancel service without penalty. My wife wants to call the attorney general and Better Business Bureau and give you guys a bad Google review. I told her no, so let's see what you guys can do to make us happy.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Went for a self install system. BIG mistake! Went for a 3 year contract. $750.00 mistake! System was defective. No local technicians. Said the system could be moved. Not without technicians! Run from this company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Called very recently to get lower rate. A lot of the phone call was dead air. They insisted I agreed to an extended contract of several years & that this was recorded. When it was stated that a recording could not be edited, I had to laugh. This is 2019. Of course it can. Just paid a ridiculous amount to cancel, but I'm done.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I fulfilled my 5 year contract with Protection One / ADT in June of 2019. I went from a contract to a month-to-month payment option while I shopped around for a more affordable security system. On 8/21/19 I contacted Protection One - ADT to cancel the service so that I would not be charged for a month where there was NO SERVICE. I would have cancelled sooner but I was locked into a 5 year contract with a $750 cancellation fee if cancelled before the contract was up.

When I called to cancel I was put on hold several times. When I finally talked to a customer service agent she said it would take 30 days to cancel….thus allowing them to charge me for one more month of high fees even though the service is no longer connected. She argued with me saying it is part of my contract. I asked her to send me a copy of my contract, which she did a few days later. Nowhere in this contract do I see this 30-day cancellation policy for month-to-month service. She also said I had to send in a written request to cancel stating my name, address of service, and what company I was changing to. I was shocked….why do they need to know who I am changing to. When I got the form by email it actually requested my name, address of service, and why I am discontinuing. I filled it out and emailed it back as instructed.

I disconnected this overpriced service on 8/22/19 and installed a more reasonable service with no contracts. Now, every day I get email or calls telling me my Protection One system is not responding even after I talked to their agents to tell them I cancelled the service. Evidently the company does not pass that information down to the operators, thus I am being spammed with notices. Getting away from this service is not only a nightmare, it is costly as they are charging for a service I no longer have. I don’t know how they get away with this platen overcharging. Beware…don’t sign a contract with this company. Read the fine print. Get a system that is affordable with no contract or unreasonably hefty fees.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

After switching from ADT to Protection One, I have tried since JANUARY 2019 to get billing issues resolved. They have failed to resolve anything. 12/2018 I moved to a rental residence and switched from ADT to Protection One (PO). PO stated signing up for services with them would void out previous contract with ADT. In March 2019 I received a late payment notice from PO. After calling, they determined the monthly payment that was being drafted from my bank account was going to ADT instead of PO due to a "glitch in the computer system". I was told ADT would refund the monies paid to them (would take 4-6 weeks) and, when I received it, I would send it to PO to maintain payments. This was never done. In, I believe, June 2019 I began getting collection phone calls. I, again, explained everything and was directed to Account Management.

AGAIN, I was told the request did not go through due to a "glitch in the computer system". AGAIN, I was ensured they would take care of it. I was told ADT would reimburse monies paid to them; furthermore, I was told for my continued inconvenience that PO would waive the months that service was being paid to ADT instead of PO due to a fault of their own. I also have e-mails regarding communication with a Marlena ** in Account Management. Marlena initiated e-mail communication with me and when I followed up, after my initial response, I never received reply communication. I have spoke with many representatives all year and I feel I am being told a solution but no one at this company follows through with it. This has proven to be an absolutely unprofessional, untrustworthy company. I suggest you all take your business elsewhere because they have had me on a roller coaster of frustration all year.

Protection 1 Company Information