True Home Value (formerly Primax Windows)
1.76/5
  • 1 star
Based on 25 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Primax Windows

We have been in the business in providing energy efficient and fashionable home improvements since the early 80s. Our mission is to provide you with the best service and product available on the market.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: July 21, 2017

40 True Home Value (formerly Primax Windows) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: July 21, 2017

When I ordered my windows Phillip ** was my salesman. He promised vastly different windows that I received. When my windows arrived at my home and my first two windows were demolished at that time I saw the windows they had brought me and was devastated. They looked cheap windows that would go in a trailer. I then began dealing with George ** (owner). Because it was very cold I had no choice but to install the windows and because I wanted them to match I let them put them in my whole house. George was gracious and gave me a garden window in my kitchen for my trouble. We did put trim and woodwork around the windows and they were made acceptable. Now this many years later the seal has broken in the garden window. I have no idea where my contract is. The company is supposed to keep that as well.

The company says they can not find my contract so they have no proof the window is one they made and installed. (They did come out and measure the window. They had actually called me to see if I needed any more windows when I told them about the one with the broken seal). They won't fix the window under warranty but more importantly they won't fix the window at all. They say they won't fix anyone else's window and since they don't have my folder and I can't provide my contract (from pre 2010) I can't prove the window is one they made. So the garden window that George made for me is worthless. Can't see out of it. It's all fogged up inside the panes. I have left voicemails for George. I have no doubt he remembers me because of all the trouble we had with our original contract. He hasn't even returned my calls.

Original review: May 23, 2017

Very professional installation. We had great service from the buying process to the installation. Both the original salesman and the installer were very personable. We have received several calls from the office to verify that we were satisfied with the process. We recommend this company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 9, 2017

I recently had all my windows replaced by this company and I am ecstatic about the service I received. The installers were great. They cleaned up their mess. They went out of their way to make sure I understood what they were doing and why. I have given all my friends a recommendation to use them for windows.

Original review: March 30, 2017

We have had our complete home renovated with THV/Primax triple pane windows and are extremely pleased with them. The installers were great and very professional, the windows are easy to operate and clean and we have noticed a difference on our heating bills. Thank you Primax!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

I ordered Primax replacement windows. It took awhile to get them. Since then I have had to replace two windows due to spots in between the glass. The first one took a year to get replaced. Reasons included changing company to True Home Value, large window (had to order SPECIAL glass and holidays). The second window was ordered in April 2016. So far the reasons include waiting for a large enough glass order for glass supplier and changed glass supplier. They final ordered the glass and received it at the factory in November 2016. Now I am waiting on holidays again. There is only one person that I can get in touch with during this 5 year process. She might return your call maybe answer an email but, it is general explaining why my window cannot be ready to replace the old window. I guess this one will take a year to get done also.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about True Home Value?

Original review: April 19, 2016

I have called the Louisville office four times over the last 6 weeks, leaving my name & number each time, but no one has ever called me back. I have all Primax windows, but my patio door will no longer open & close.

Original review: March 31, 2016

True Home Value does not stand behind their work. While working in Missouri they ruined a portion of my patio. I made multiple request to have the area prepared and was told I being too picky and just needed to give the area time to blend. Now the area looks even worse and True Home Value is no longer in business in Missouri, but the cooperate office in KY refuses to stand by their work or guarantee. The lady that answers the phone will not give anyone's name and hangs up on me repeatedly. I have been told someone will call me back ASAP, but no callback.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2015

We had 13 windows and 1 set of sliding doors installed on June 2-3, 2015. Installers got caulk on a few screens which I cleaned off. In addition, one screen had a rip and another had insulation dripped on it. In order to get them replaced/repaired, I called Sheila in service. She told me she would call me back but never did. I called her repeatedly to no avail. Finally, I called George Jenkins, the President of THV, who stars in their commercials. He arranged for a serviceman to come to the house on July 8. The serviceman attempted unsuccessfully to replace the screens and had to take the screens and frames to St. Louis.

A week later we finally got the screens back, and the screens are so flimsy they do not make a seal with the window frame. As a result, we cannot open our windows because we get bugs in the house. So, I again called Sheila to attempt to get resolution. She said she'd check into it and call me back. She never did. This has happened repeatedly that she says she will call me back and doesn't. Today, September 2 (3 months after installation) we are still dealing with these issues with the screens. In addition, this week I decided to clean the inside rails of the windows, and there are all kinds of bugs getting in around the screens. This will be a never ending job! We also discovered that a screw was installed so tightly in one window that the frame is cracked. Also, THV does not tell you that service is only provided when a serviceman is in your area on another job which is never!!! My advice: DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THV EVER.

Original review: July 13, 2015

A piece of siding blew off the house on 6-26-2015. There are 2 more pieces just flapping in the wind. We finally got hold of someone on 6-29 and they said they would send someone out the next day. If anyone came they didn't call or leave a note. Since then We cannot get anyone to return the voice mails we leave. I finally reached a person on 7-6 and was told the scheduling person was on vacation and no one else does their job. They said they would leave a note asking we be scheduled. I waited until today 7-13 to try and reach someone again. Once again I left a voicemail explaining the problem and asking someone to call me and schedule an appt. We paid $14,000.00 for siding and gutters in May of 2009 and this is the first problem we have had and no one will communicate with us. Obviously the warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Original review: March 30, 2015

Primax/TRV will promise lifetime warranties from their salespeople. However they will not honor the warranties when needed. They talk to you like you're an idiot wanting to file a claim. I have had two broken panes on my expensive triple pane windows. The broke on middle and one on inside. They said the glass breaking is not covered. They broke from poor workmanship not from anything I did. They said I will cost me another $376.00 to fix. Plus my door leaks air and the tub will not shine per warranties. That will cost me another fee to get fixed. I'm still paying on this. I wish I could stop payment. For poor service and product. Can anything be done to them???

Original review: Dec. 22, 2014

We ordered windows from THV, formerly Primax or Thomas Construction (only a crap company has to change their name that many times...). We ordered in August 2014 and called over and over again to see where the $6900 worth of windows were that we were promised in 6-8 weeks from August. We started calling in October, with no prevail. We were told that a manager would call us back. They never did. We called several times and asked for our $500 down payment back... No one ever returned our calls. They had no issue going to the bank and cashing our check, but a phone call was an issue for them. FINALLY, today, December 22nd, they call us back to let us know our windows are in and they can disrupt our Christmas week, in the middle of winter and run up our bill, to install on Friday.

I spoke to my husband and we decided we don't trust them to install windows in a ** house, let alone a house full of our family after the treatment we've had. The manager informed us that they'd be giving us a 10% discount... That was it and if we chose not to have them install, they will turn us into their legal department and charged the full amount for the windows. Back this story to August... I never felt comfortable to begin with... The salesman was overly pushy and offered 3 "discounts" in 3 hours for us to sign a contract that day. My husband thought after the show he put on and the "discounts" that it was a good idea and they asked for a $500 down payment.

Well, the salesman, Rick ** from Bridgeton, MO, was so busy on his cell phone with his daughter. He conveniently "forgot" to leave us a copy of our contract...and the company's contract that they have with my husband's signature has NO DISCOUNTS on the contract and we're being charged the full $6900!!!!! I told the manager that and he called me a liar and said Rick has been with the company for 30 years and wouldn't "forget" paperwork like that! OMG!!!!! I'm so fuming!!!! Then, I come on here and read so many people had the exact same problems! I'm calling the media, I'm setting a sign in my yard... I'm telling everyone!!! These people are pure crooks and their company scams you! I want to cry! I feel like I've been robbed!!!!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2014

I had Primax install siding a couple of years ago and I didn't notice that the sheet metal fascia was lapped in the wrong direction. I guess I should have looked harder at the short work but I trusted their work (stupid). I have been calling and leaving messages for over a year and was told that they would come check it out that week and fix because of my so called lifetime warranty and of course that is b.s. and now can't get a call returned at all. DON'T HIRE THESE SCABS!!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2014

We had 2 new windows installed on the front of our house. One of which was 6 ft long. When I came home on my lunch break, the installer had installed the window on rotten wood and refused to remove the window to do the job correctly. He then chose to curse me on my own property and pack his tools and said he was going to leave because he wasn't making any more. I called their office and spoke with a man by the name of Phillip. He refused to believe what I was telling him. I took pictures of the shoddy work and sent him an e-mail. Once he received my e-mail he would no longer take my calls, even though the receptionist told me he was in his office and I know that he had been talking with the contractor. Nothing was ever resolved. I will be taking this window back out and redoing the work myself. Was forced to pay because of a shady contract agreement. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE. They are not honest and they do not care! All they care about is getting paid, regardless of the quality of work.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2014

2014 June 30, signed contract. Jul 10 (ish) remeasure and paid deposit. October 15 have heard nothing from no one! I started calling ALL the numbers listed on my paperwork and most were not answered. EVEN the customer service number! When I finally reach someone (receptionist), I get transferred to a number to leave a voicemail. No call back. At the end of the day, 4:30, I made another call and was told the department I needed to talk to was GONE FOR THE DAY! However, the lady offered to send them an email and have them contact me FIRST THING. It's now almost noon. I've made phone calls this morning and got to leave more messages for people who aren't in the office to call me. Reading the back of the 'contract'... I'd say they are in violation of the Contractors License Law. Rolox used to be good in KC... Too many changes. Nobody cares. Just give me your money is their motto. I just want my money back at this point.

Original review: May 27, 2014

Had an appointment for a quote on windows. When the salesman came (late) & saw we were renovating the home & not living there yet, he said he would have another guy (Ron) give me a quote cause he did a better job at window quotes. Never heard from them again. What was the point of wasting my time? Their commercials always say they are drawing for money and home improvements soon but when I call to register, the person doesn't know when the drawing is & is only interested in setting an appointment for a home improvement.

Original review: April 18, 2014

This month's electricity was almost half of what I've been paying. Service was great. No issues. A little pricey but worth it now.

Original review: March 20, 2014

I contacted Primax again a short time ago, within the last two months. I had to leave a message after being transferred several times. As of today, no one has returned my call. The windows were suppose to be covered for thirty years. After three years, I had to pay a service call. I have three windows I can't raise, Two of three has needed to be fixed every time they have came out. There is air coming in between the gap between the top & bottom window. Those two I believe weren't properly installed, b/c neither window has been raised since the last repair.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2013

I purchased Primax Windows in 1996. Some of them are always messed up. I got the triple pane and the brackets that hold them when you drop down the window to clean outside one or two will always break. I have two windows that are messed up and the same two that has always been every time I've called for service repair. The two windows that have been fixed every time they come out can't be raised now and they are bulging from the top window. The worse part I have raised them or dropped them in to clean since the last service call. I have had trouble getting someone to return my call. Today is the first time I actually talk to a person. It's Saturday and I was told to call back on Monday. These windows are expensive and I feel like it's the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. Who wants a window you can't raise and two windows that tear up without doing anything to them. I'd Never recommend Primax Windows to anyone.. Sorry for being negative, but all of the above is true..

Original review: July 2, 2013

First, this is the worst company out there. They are ** and should be shut down. The door I bought was installed wrong. The handle has broken twice now. They never answer or return calls. It is a sham. Do not waste your money.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2012

At the Louisville Fair, Primax had a drawing that I entered. They then called and offered a free estimate. I initially agreed and set up an appointment. There was no call when they were a no-show for the appointment. Since then, I have received numerous calls even after I told them I was no longer interested and would not do business with their company. Fed up with their many calls, I called their office and repeatedly asked for a manager. The receptionist would not put me through. She told me she could handle anything I needed and continued to ask questions - one of which was, why would I enter their drawing? She kept talking over me and I kept asking for a manager and insisting to be taken off their call list. She finally told me she would take me off their call list and I would also be out of the drawing.

Original review: June 26, 2012

Not using Primax! - First of all, I really enjoy sites like this. I feel like I dodged a nightmare. We had a very nice salesman come out and give us a $13,000 estimate on our windows. He talked as if his windows were the nicest thing on the market, said that no one else offers a 50 year warranty (which the next interview proved him wrong). We explained that we were not committing to anything that evening as we had 4 other companies coming out. He offered a $2,000 discount if we agreed that night. I refused as we already committed to interviewing the other companies.

Another gentleman named David called, claiming to be the brother of the owner. He wanted to sell us windows at wholesale. I was suspicious so I had him talk to my husband. They offered the windows to us for $9,000 to be installed in August. We took the information and I began digging a little deeper. This site, as well as the BBB has so many consumer complaints that I am not choosing this company because of others who shared their experience. Thank you for this service and saving me potential nightmares and bad investment. I will be choosing another more reputable, honest company.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2012

Salesman came out on Tuesday Jan.24th. I told him I just wanted an estimate but he said I was not going to get an better deal, so I went ahead and wrote him out a check. I then called back the next morning and cancelled my order. They told me that the salesman will returned to my house with my check and paper work for me to sign about the cancellation. He called but never showed up. On Friday morning Jan.27th, there was a guy outside measuring my windows. I told him that I had cancel the order. I called back again and ask to make sure that my order was cancelled. They said yes it was. I checked my bank account and the check had been put through my account.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2012

He came and gave me an estimate on windows and a door. They took a post dated check. He was supposed to contact me and let me know if I was approved or not. I have not heard from him and had two or more calls wanting to know how I like my window and door. I told them I didn’t have them and they were supposed to check it out and get back with me. I have yet to hear back from any of them and have not got my check back yet either. And I have yet to have anything done or hear from them and he was here on 11-28-11. Something is wrong somewhere.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2012

THV now Primax sold me a door in September 2011. It was installed on January 3, 2012. The door was too large for my opening and two sides of my door frame was removed and never replaced. On the outside of my entryway, the wood was removed and insulation and aluminum flashing caulked heavily all over the opening. The molding of the door was cut off several inches and massive amounts of caulk left to cover the cuts and to fill in the mitered joints.

I took pictures of my door to the showroom. Amy called the installer Gary and told him to come and take care of my door because the pictures are ugly. Amy told me that this was not the only complaint that they had received. I requested that Gary not be sent back to my house but was told that was my only choice. I feel that my door has been compromised by this butchered install job.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2011

Primax called and said that I had won a prize when I was at Meade County Fair. It was a sale plot for windows. We looked into their windows and thought of purchasing them but decided not to. Primax sent two salesmen out and we decided to get them if they could finance them. So, I ran a credit check and all was well, so far. Then, they said there was a 9.9 interest rate and that was agreed upon. Now, they changed the interest and did not put correct windows in and won't fix them, and also, they threatened my wife.

Original review: May 11, 2010

I bought Primax Windows almost a year ago. At first, I was reluctant to buy but after talking to the sales person (Logan), I purchased windows for the front and sides of my house. Even after I bought, I still had some other companies come out. I soon realized that Primax had a much more up to date product and to say the least a much better product. So after making a bet with the sales person that I would not cut my heating bills in half (and losing) I am writing this post. The service I received from the company was great. I did have a tear on one of my screens during installation, but the serviceman came out the next week with my new screen. My windows have made a huge difference in my utility bills and have really cut the noise of the Airport down. Highly recommended.

Original review: March 28, 2010

I just want to ask how much a Primax triple pane window has sold for in the past? I have just spent $12,000.00 for 10 windows. Is this about right, or did I get snow balled? Is this a good price?

Original review: March 13, 2010

I purchased a bay window and Primax Window Co., Inc. installed it. Now after 8 years, my window is now leaking and may have ruined my wall under my window including my bay window damage. The wall under the window is wet and bulging and the top of bay window may have water damage. I need to know what to do or should I say what they plan on doing to resolve this problem.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2009

In 2004, we purchased windows and soffit siding from Primax from their Decatur, Illinois office. We were very happy with the custom fit of the material, custom bent on our property to fit. We were told that that for any reason, we could get a replacement as long as we owned the property. Unbeknownst to us, the Decatur office went under and was closed in 2005. Well, a couple of weeks ago, near-tornado level winds whipped through here, tearing off half the soffit siding, twisting most of it beyond repair. My wife called the Decatur office and, naturally, received no answer. Deciding I'd try my luck, I found the Primax website and called them to see what could be done. I was told their repair people were at a specific number, which I called. Well, I live in East Central Illinois. The people I was referred to were on the west side of Missouri. The lady there gave me a St. Louis number and said they would cover me.

Well, the St. Louis company only did repairs within an hour's drive of his office. I called the Primax office again and was given the number of their president. I called this morning (keep in mind, I've already been on the phone with these people for an hour already) and was told the president, Mr. Jenkins, was gone for the day. I asked if there was someone else I could talk to about the Decatur, IL office dealings. The receptionist quickly said, "Mr. Jenkins handles that.” That should have been my clue that this would end badly. Well, a couple of hours later, Mr. Jenkins called me, confused that his receptionist didn't know his movements. After explaining my situation, Mr. Jenkins explained that I should find out the name of the siding and get the manufacturer to send me replacement pieces. He also said that I'd have to pay to have it put up, as they didn't cover labor after two years (not what my contract said). After a while, I gave up as I recognized that every time I mentioned what I was promised by his contractor, he basically told me he wouldn't honor the promises made to me.

When I called Primax initially, they asked if I might use them for future repairs to my home. Before I began typing this, I left a message on their website that I would not be using them again and I'd gladly tell my friends to avoid them. In fact, I want off their mailing and phone lists. So, avoid this company. I plan to replace the soffit siding, but with a local company that will honor their promises to me. I also will not deal with a company where one hand doesn't know what the other one is doing and doesn't send its customers on phone chases. I could have been given Mr. Jenkins' phone line on my first call, but instead, I see that I was being led on a wild goose chase. To be fair, I am very pleased with their windows. But if I need to have them replaced, Primax will not be among the candidates.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2009

I succumbed to the high pressure sales tactics of 2 salesmen who came to my house to give me an estimate. I am a single woman, so I felt outnumbered by these 2 men who had an elaborate sales pitch that lasted over 3 hours. I agreed to purchase 3 windows, the 2 largest windows in my house, on the front, and a badly worn bathroom window. The salesmen took rough measurements. I was told someone would be sent out to take more definite measurements.

Five days after signing the contract, I really wanted to get out of it. I was worried about how the replacement windows would look on my house since the rest of my windows are wood. I also realized how much more expensive these windows were than any other replacement window. I called the company and left several messages. I offered to have them install just one of the three windows so I could see what it looked like. If it was okay, then I would go ahead with the other 2 windows. My calls were not returned for over a week. Of course by that time, they told me the windows were already in production and the order couldn't be cancelled or changed. No one else had been sent to measure at this time, so I asked how they could be in production without those measurements. They said the cuts rough cuts had already been made and those pieces couldn't be re-used on any other windows.

The installation was about a month later than the salesmen estimated. It took all day to install the 3 windows. They left sharp pieces of aluminum in the carpet and outside the house. They also made the walls all around the windows very dirty. No one explained to me that the window would be surrounded by a shiny aluminum frame on the outside of the house. I picked a color for the outside of the window - it is dark brown. The flashing that they put up all around the window is several shades darker than the actual window. It looks black. Nothing else on the outside of my house is black. All the trim is brown. These windows look cheap and ugly. The screens don't fit. They ordered one replacement screen and some clips to keep the other screens from slipping out of place. That was 4 months ago. I called 2 months ago and asked about the screen and clips. They said the screen had been delivered but it was the wrong size so they had to reorder it. They said it would be done by July 27 and would be installed the next week.

I called today, 8/14/09. They had to search for 20 minutes then called back to say they could install the screen on 8/31/09. I asked to be transferred to someone that I could express my extreme dissatisfaction to. I was transferred to voice mail of Philip. He was the same person I spoke to about cancelling the order. I left a message about how unhappy I am with the look of the windows and said I would also tell everyone I know. I also told him that I have not been able to open my new windows all spring and summer since the screens don't fit. Economic damage: I have not been able to open the windows. Even in the cool weather we have had this summer, I have had to run the air conditioning. So, the windows have not saved me any energy expenses.

True Home Value (formerly Primax Windows) Company Information