2. Homeowners
  3. Windows and Doors

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.32/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Pella Reviews

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Last year we bought a house and we have been remodeling. I have custom ordered a door because I wanted a specific design and colors. We look all around town and pella was the only one that I figured would be the perfect manufacture for the door. We waited for a month and when it got close to getting it delivered the guy insisted to have someone home to help me unload which it was not possible for them because he didn’t want to pay his people overtime. I ended up unloading it since my husband was working out of town and didn’t get home until late that day.

We rushed to install it the same night since the weather was about to get bad. Next morning I inspected the door to make sure that I got what I order and noticed the hinges and sill were black and I ordered oil rubbed bronze. There was dents and stain on the glass and un-stainted spots on the door itself and a bunch of silicon on all the corners. I contacted them and after a few weeks a rep came out to look at it and he was definite that the hinges and sill were black and told me he’ll contact the engineering department.

A month later of going back and forth they told us that Pella has built our door to spec and the matte black hinges is their version of oil rubbed bronze.... a rep came out again and said I’m sorry but you got the right order and handed me a stain pen to fix the dents and scratches. We were planning on getting a few more doors but I much rather get it from Home Depot than from Pella. Most horrible experience and customer service I’ve ever had and we almost paid 4K for that door.

If you are planning on buying a door read the reviews before you do because I wish I did.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have to say we have always been a Pella family. We purchased a vinyl sliding glass door 4 years ago because I love Pella and really wanted the blinds built in. Recently though I have noticed an accumulation of small clay colored beads which I thought, were some sort of bug eggs in the bottom of both the slider and stationary doors. I emailed Pella with pics and no response. Today I called and was advised this happens a lot. Really?? They advised I was still in warranty however would have to pay labor fees. The girl advised the seals were bad and that was the beads I was seeing. The door is 4 years old!!! Reconsider before buying Pella!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Built house 2001. Within 2 years all west facing windows rotted at bottom sash. They replaced them. Of course they wanted to charge ridiculous amount for installation to recoup losses. Window warranty but not labor. Luckily easy to install. Now years later all rotted again and no warranty. These were maintenance free windows. Two things don’t by a Pella product. Also check the products out yourself because the builders won’t be around when they break.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

We purchased a Pella Sliding Glass with blinds between the glass from Lowe's for $673. The doors were great for the first 7 years. Last year some type of little beige beads starting accumulating between the glass panels. Called Pella Customer Service, they contacted the local distributor, the local distributor called us and told us that they would replace the door at a cost of $960! I understand that the door is out of warranty, I don't understand why the replacement part is so expensive.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

We built our house in 2001 using Pella Designer series casement windows with the Slimshade blinds. What a mistake!!! The windows started rotting a year after they were installed and the blinds don't close completely. A set of doors had to be replaced because of rotting, which was done under warranty, but we had to pay Pella $750 to install the doors. Pella told us to put a bead of clear silicone caulk where the frame meets the glass, which I did, but shouldn't have to do that. And I still have windows to replace because they are rotting. I wish I had researched Pella back when we were building because I wouldn't have used them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Year and a half with a leaking $12,785.76 door. Lots of promises from Pella and tiny few Pella salespeople and 'subcontractors' out to look... Still leaking. No real action just pass the buck. Pella has not delivered on its warranty. Until Pella fixes the problem they created, I will be telling all my 300+ yearly home inspection customers every day NOT to use Pella based on my personal experience. James

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

We had Pella come and install windows Monday and they verified the work on the inside and left. When we climbed the ladder outside the home we seen no sealing of the windows from the outside. A piece of flashing they say is decorative is just flapping and they claimed they used double sided tape and it always holds. Double sided tape in the elements is not ok for the amount of money they charge for installation. Now it has been more than a week. 2 days of rain, more rain to come, no communication after multiple messages with multiple people, and now the company that they use for financing won't not pay them because technically the windows are in.

This is the second time we've used them and they had to come back the first time because our siding wasn't put back on place leaving our home exposed to the elements. They did come back the next day on that and finished. But why is a big company using people who won't finish work on the outside up high because most people won't climb on their own and check. The window they put on the front porch that we would have to see and pass each day is beautiful so why can't that be the ones we don't pass and see. They should all be done of same quality. We have more windows and Pella will not be getting out for those.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

So incredibly disappointed in my sliding glass door. Bought and installed through pella in June 2019 and by September the screen door latch broke and the slider would not open. Pella comes out and has to "order" parts. I have a screen door and a sliding glass door that I paid 11,000 dollars for and I can't use either one. Thanks Pella. This product is not worth the money!!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I ordered five replacement windows from a local Pella rep. Three were installed with visually obvious flaws and one sill was badly damaged and will have to be refinished. Two of the windows have been replaced but I now have to wait for the third and for the paintwork required on the sill. These are not 'bargain basement' products - I expected a much higher level of quality control!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

In November of 2018 I purchased 12 new series 250 & 2 designer patio slider doors. Seven of the 250 windows were ordered incorrectly in that they were not tempered glass as per drawing submitted & building codes require. I immediately made the salesperson aware of the problem upon delivery and he told me he would re-order the sashes required and they would be replaced, which they attempted to do in April of 2019 when they replaced only 4, even though they admittedly could not find the other 3 setting in their warehouse somewhere.

To make a long story short, they have come to my house every month since (unless the windows shipped from the factory were warped or scratched. Hey, at least they're checking them now before driving an hour to my home only to find they're bad. That's happened 4 times, the last one yesterday), and we are still not done with the fix. They have scheduled 3 times an A. M. or P. M. appointment with a no-show - no-call waste of our time. I think they're trying to piss me off now or maybe set a record on how long a customer will continue in patience.

I have spent over $50K on their windows over the past several years on my remodel projects. I am a contractor and have owned a building trades service company for over 37 years. I know things go bad beyond your control sometimes. I also know that how a company responds to problems separate the good companies from the bad. When their own service people tell you they are very embarrassed, when their sales & service staff are quitting the company, you know there's a problem. Yet Pella Iowa is still not listening. Listen now Pella. YOU HAVE THE WORST SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED!!! IN MY 65 YEARS OF LIVING. But maybe that's just in Western Michigan.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

We replaced an old french door with a new Pella slider in July. We had a licensed contractor install the door. The door ended up having a bow in the middle that would not allow for the screen door to slide. After multiple phone calls and emails to pella I finally got a pella rep out to our house and he confirmed the door had a warp in it. I was told that pella would get back to me in 3-5 days. That did not happen. When I finally got a hold of pella again they said I had to deal with the place I bought the door from, Lowes. This song and dance went back an forth, both companies playing the blame game.

2.5 MONTHS LATER, spending most of the summer with out a screen door, living in a construction zone, I now have a replacement door installed. Pella's customer service is the worst! After spending hours and hours explaining the situation to multiple heads at Lowe's they did end up ordering us this new door and reimbursing us for the original installation. Pella, I will never purchase any of your products again and any one who ask me for a door or window recommendation will most certainly not be buying your products. Your defective door that you said you were going to pick up is on the side of my house and it just got snowed on. Maybe the weight of the snow will fix the bow.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Purchased Pella casement windows from Lowe's, installed myself approximately 9 years ago. Have had air infiltration since installation. Air comes in between window frame and casement rubber seal in barely touching frame so in winter would get so cold getting ice on glass inside so thick can't scrape it off. We have local pella dealer but don't install product so had to get installer from nearest town to come to my house. This happened 4 or 5 times over 9 years. Most recent dealt with out of town pella exclusively. Surprisingly installer figured out because windows were special order that window was too small for frame hence barely touching rubber seal. So they decided to order one slightly larger window for a trial then I was to contact them for results.

After installation, Progress finally hah. Window was warmer not freezing like before. So I call out town store pella. They don't know what I'm talking about. Somewhat rude and standoffish. Call local office to call tell there is nothing wrong with my windows. When I asked why they installed one new window and what the installer said they said they did it to be nice? So I'm done. Bought new Andersen Windows yesterday. A Andersen company installer came out measured for square just as pella my installation well within specs. Hopefully better luck with Andersen Windows.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

We ordered windows for our new constructed home in July 2019. It has been over 2 months and still no delivery, we were promised delivery in August then Sept 5th then Sept 23rd. Now some time in October, don't order Pella. They have the worst record for delivery & if you are not happy with their product too bad you're stuck with them.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

AWFUL!! We have had Pella windows for 30 years. Right from the start they were a maintenance headache: warping, snagging,rubbing, deforming, pivot screws and shade controls stripping, plastic sliders/runners breaking, screen corners breaking, cladding coming off, shades not evenly and fully opening and closing, etc. And now that the sun is destroying the shade harnesses, we can't even get replacements. I would not recommend Pella to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Trying to replace lock on sliding door as keys are lost, but customer service rep was not even interested in helping me find product serial number on sliding door window. They assumed the door was quite old and said they did not carry replacement parts. I find it hard to believe it is not possible to get keys for the door or replace the lock. The customer service rep showed very little interest in helping me. My impression is they simply do not care.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Built a cabin. Contractor recommended Pella windows. No screens were in the windows. Have been trying for over a month to get screens. All customer service keeps saying is call you back in 3 to 5 business days and never do. Then when you complain a couple weeks later they will contact you in 24 hrs. Then when you call it's back to 3 to 5 business days. Just want screens. Not custom made windows standard size. Not worth the money or hassle.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

In the new construction windows by Pella, Lowe's item number #110571. This is not a replacement window - it is a new construction window that mounts to the wall and the siding get put over the mounting flanges. Note: the Pella rep tells me tilt the sash and remove the sash. Well I tell her the sash cannot be tilted in this model. I tell her no - this model's sash does not tilt. She says she cannot confirm in her picture. Then tells me the whole window needs to be replaced. I guess to her there has to be a way to change the glass without replacing the whole window and she says tilt the sash and remove the sash. Sorry not an option in this window Pella rep. Then she says I can hire a service rep to come out and fix the window or replace the unit. (replacement would result in siding removal etc.) Nice move Pella. Likely cheaper to cut out the plastic enough to remove the sashes and and buy a better brand replacement window that the glass can be replaced.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

We build a house in Austin, TX in 2009-2010. We took a leap of faith and installed Pella doors and windows. Our builder recommended those. 6080 external sliding door has not opened and closed well and has now gotten worse. Two 6080 screens have been breaking off and seem to be of terrible quality and material. Two casement windows do not close. Fairly disappointed by the quality of the doors and windows.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I bought 2 Pella replacement windows at Lowe's and installed them in my basement. After I completely finished installing the windows I unlocked the windows and open and closed them to see how well they worked and when I tried to lock them neither lock wanted to work. One won't catch at all and the other doesn't line up good. Plus who ever at the factory striped the screws in the latches so the latches won't stay tight on the window. This was my first experience with Pella windows and my last. I'm going to replace 10 more windows and build an addition with 6 new windows and none will be a Pella window. It's not going to be cheap and the last thing I want is an expensive poor quality Pella window.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I purchased Pella Designer Series casement windows when we built our house so these were installed new construction. About 4 years after installation I complained that certain windows were fogging up. I had noticed it very early on but overlooked it due to weather conditions. When the local service rep arrived at my house I was told that these windows required to be refinished again due to the fact that the sashes had dried out and the urethane had broken down, I asked how and why this had happened and I was told that this window has had this issue from the onset. This spring I had a french door get 3 holes in the aluminum for no reason at all. I had to fight and argue with them to get it replaced. They did replace it but it was my responsibility to pay the install fee as well as my responsibility to get the interior side refinished. which I have done at a cost of about $500.

I received a survey from Pella after the door install and I responded honestly. I would NOT recommend Pella to ANYONE. That got their attention. They had a service rep visit my home to look at my windows again today only to be told that this is again just "what happens to these windows". So here I am stuck with foggy expensive windows that no one will take responsibility for. Pella has designed a window that requires that the homeowner have them refinished from inside out at least every year. Where is the sense in that??? I will NEVER purchase another Pella product.

I feel that I was not properly advised of the maintenance that these windows required. Who wants to take apart their windows and sand, stain and urethane the sash every year? When I requested that the rep escalate this issue to her superiors she said they do not warranty these windows against condensation between the panes. Nor do they tell you that the condensation will exist! Beware that the sales people are not telling you the real maintenance requirements of being a Pella owner.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

Had all 36 wood windows replaced. Installer was great. Like the windows but have issues with some of them. 1.) One was broken on arrival and still waiting for replacement 2.) Some are hard to open. 3.) Not all handles have been installed. 4.) One had dents in it. 5.) A few hand nicks in them. Reseller assured me all these issue would be taken care of but still I'm waiting for that to occur. Its been over a month. My impression with Pella is they aim to please when the money is yet to be had. Once they are paid, they don't seem to be in any hurry to correct issues.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I had French Doors installed and in less than a year the threshold started to lift. The installer used press board under the threshold and it soaked up the water like a sponge lifting the threshold about 1”. Worse yet has been the frustration I’ve experienced by the Pella Customer service to fix the problem. They sent a technician to evaluate the problem but now months later have yet to schedule the repair in spite of repeated promises.

I’m concerned about water damage into my basement - and likely the damage will be much worse due to the excessive delay in having this repaired. They claim that the service tech who did the job is busy until September and they don’t think I should wait till then. I agree - in fact I don’t even want the same tech in to do the repair - he should have been fired. But in spite of a dedicated customer service rep assigned to my file they seem unable or unwilling to be able to get this resolved. Most frustrating is to be told at least four time now - "We will get back to you by end of day tomorrow." Tomorrow never seems to come with Pella!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I have photos of my experience. The windows are expensive, and despite the fact they had two independent people measure I had a window that was an incorrect fit. I still am missing a giant front window. Also the packaging on the window - it is staples on the window - STAPLED! Each window on what appears to be plastic casing has big staple marks - it looks awful. So expensive - never again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

We special ordered an exterior door from Lowe's and was recommended not to use Pella from the store. We chose to go with Pella and when the custom door arrived, though it was beautiful, had the wrong exterior trim. It came with casework instead of brick molding. So, no storm door could be installed. We never got an answer or explanation why from Pella. The sales rep in our area never cared to investigate either. Lucky for us, Lowe's stood behind us and graciously special ordered a Therma-Tru door, which has a higher energy rating and nicer door I must say. After 3 months ordered and 30 days from install, we feel we will get what we ordered and hope you never have to deal with Pella customer service if you have issues.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I went to Pella because it was my understanding that Pella Windows were one of the best manufacturers of windows. Although my complaint is not about the Windows themselves, as this remains to be seen, my complaint is about their installation. Once we paid for the installation which was sold to us as necessary to keep the warranty. The service went downhill from Payment. The installers showed up late, did not finish, left a hole in my house where a window was supposed to be installed. They showed up with a broken window. They left the window in my garage for months, as it was nearly impossible to get them back on site.

There was little to no communication as to when they would be on site. Missed appointments with no calls. They were rude. They never finished the outside trim, and I still can't to this day, get them to come back out. After all that, they left unused equipment and products (caulk, etc.) in my garage. After several request to finish the work, I have been totally ignored. We paid a premium for these windows, and I have to say, I have been totally ripped off, as when I paid for the service, they felt no further obligation. A horrible company that should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Charlotte NC Replacement Windows problems. Replacement windows ordered March 2019 $55,212.66. Installation was scheduled June 3-15. 2 Pella contractors refused to do job due to window size. 3rd installation contractor Pella hired showed up June 17. Installers ran out of installation product so worked 1/2 days. Installers took a week off for a vacation without finishing the installation. July 12 job finally completed.

This caused a major delay in remodel timeline according to contractor. Sales rep did not order extension jambs, so drywallers had to take two weeks to install drywall returns. Now Pella says it's not their fault their installers didn't show up to work and the contractor says it's Pella's fault for the delay and extra charges occured during window installation. Nothing but the runaround, have never been supplied with warranty paperwork, a couple bent True View window screens. A total nightmare.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I purchased 2 Pella Architect Series slider patio doors in 2011 for primary home. We chose door with grids and mini-blinds. Paid $4K each and another $1,100/ea to install so total investment was $10,200. Doors are warrantied for 10 years; glass is warrantied for 20 years. Beautiful doors. Also purchased one for my home in Nantucket. That door is still performing properly. Dining room door (we never use this door and never raised the mini-blinds) in primary home is now clouded with condensation in between the panes of glass. See pic. Door in family room has leaked so badly that we now have significant water damage to the solid oak floors. So, this has been going on for some time and one has to be concerned about mold! See pic. Rain is leaking right into our home. See pic.

Buyer beware ... "labor" is warrantied for only 2 years; hence, if something is found to be defective with the doors; Pella, which touts that their "products are backed by some of the strongest warranties in the business", will charge you for someone to come out and assess the situation and then charge you for someone to come out and fix the problem with their defective product. The person they sent out to assess the situation found that the seals on both doors (both the moving and stationary parts) have failed. For my money, this translates into: Defective Product still under warranty. However, the charge to fix these doors will be $540.00!!

I spoke with Becky and Judy (both very nice) and was told that Pella needs to charge for the labor. There is only one reasons to charge for labor to fix defective doors and that is when you know that your doors are likely to be defective. Their products are substandard and their "labor" warranty suggests that they are very well aware of that fact. I have been a manufacturer's rep for over 25 years and have had the privilege of working for a company that truly stands behind its products because the products are top drawer all the way.

So, think twice before you do business with Pella. Don't spend thousands of dollars on a product thinking that you are getting the best of the best. With Pella, you are not. You have 2 years of comfort; after that, Pella is standing by to dip into your wallet to help fund the costs necessitated by its products' inferior quality. There are other alternatives out there. With Pella, you are paying for the "name" and it turns out the name Pella comes with quite a bit of tarnish!

Original review: July 6, 2019

I purchased my new Pella patio door through Lowe's, hoping that would give me a local resource in case there were issues. That didn't work so well... Lowe's installer did a great job and I was a happy camper.... Then, one evening I noticed that I could see out onto my patio when the internal blinds were closed!! Further investigation showed that neighbors in my condo complex could look right into my kitchen when they walked by my patio! The blinds hang in a netting, and do not overlap as normal blinds do. This leaves an opening that you can see right through!!! So folks, if you buy this patio door DO NOT EXPECT PRIVACY!!!

Multiple calls to Lowe's and Pella. Two different technicians came out and they both could see the issue and agreed that they are 'see through' blinds. Pella's offer was to replace the glass panels. Their installer was ready to replace the glass panels, but after looking at the new door he had with him, he said what I already had installed was better. More calls to Pella... and more unreturned calls to Lowe's. Finally I got a call from local Pella office stating "that is the product". Really?? Why even put blinds in and let people think they worked??? I'm SO DISAPPOINTED with this patio door. I bought is so I wouldn't need window covering, but had to purchase window coverings to close at night so neighbors couldn't look right into my kitchen! I wish I could give this product a negative rating.

Original review: June 27, 2019

All I can say is this company has serious customer service issues. I have five older Pella sliding glass doors. Started calling them on May 27th asking for a quote to replace screen doors. The first week without a response, I called back, and they had the wrong email. After fixing that, they let me know via email that they no longer make the screen for my door anymore, but they could quote me a replacement. Asked me to provide some measurement. After providing the measurements, I did not hear from them for a week. Called, and told they would escalate it. Still no response so I called again and was told by the representative that it was not their department, but they would have the right department respond to me. Still no response after 3 days so I called again only to be told that the department had 5 days to respond. Waited another 2 days and called them back again only to be told they would escalate it.

After another week, called today (June 27th) to complain. They put me on hold which rolled over to a one question customer service survey about how they are doing and then hung up on me. Funny that on each call, the person answering the call acknowledges the poor response and promised they would have someone get back with me. STILL WAITING! Tried one more time. Told that they would send me to the right department only to forward me to Lowe's Home Improvement. The rating of one star is too high!

Original review: June 27, 2019

The first incidence was really a combination of my contractor and the salesperson. The wrong windows were ordered for my new addition in spite of my explicitly stating I wanted the same size window or bigger than the original kitchen window (47 inches wide), and the largest window possible for the new master bedroom suite. The windows I asked for were not the windows sent. No problem, the salesman came back and I wrote down exactly what I wanted on an order form the second time. Again, the wrong windows came. I called the salesman to verify exactly what I had written and he confirmed that I had not written a 24 inch wide window for my kitchen. I mean who would want a 24 inch wide window to replace a 47 inch window when I was making the kitchen much bigger. A smaller window came for the master bedroom as well. The third time the windows sent were the once I wanted.

Now the bigger problem. The two doors ordered leading outside (one from the master bedroom, the other from the kitchen) are now leaking in spite of what my new (yes new) contractor does to try and fix them. The inspection depends upon the door installation and the installers say they cannot fix the problem until August. I am going back to work in September and the rest of the house (floors, kitchen) will have to be put on hold until the doors stop leaking underneath. My contractor remade the threshold and put in rubber but realizes the plates angle into the house, not out of the house.

The first contractor did everything wrong (materials, installation of beams, no permits, no access to the crawl space, no pitch to the flat roof-deck, the list goes on), then quit when he realized everything he did had to be destructed and re-constructed (any number of reasons). Now the window company he chose against my better judgement is holding up the job which has already taken two years.

Pella Company Information