Need a window & door company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.70/5

627 Pella Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 18, 2017

I had 3 Sliding glass door assemblies replace on my home approx. 2 yrs ago. Lowes/Pella. Happy with product and install. Made a BIG difference in Winter/Spring. Lawnmower shattered exterior glass panel on stationary door. Pella said I was lucky because this single piece of glass was replaceable (as opposed to the whole panel). Took two weeks to get a email quote. One glass replacement (out of four) $1198.58. The ENTIRE sliding door with installation which required an additional modification cost of $200.00 dollars. Cost was $1,300.00. Now the funny part... Pella quoted me 2 man hours @ $315.00 per hour!!! What the **. Are they smoking??? When I stopped laughing I had a local guy do it for $225.00. Pella’s quote was $1198.58.

Original review: April 17, 2017

Designer series sliding glass door with Rolscreen was installed in 2004. Rolscreen has broken and to replace it will cost $651 plus tax. This is just for the screen, not the frame. The only problem with the one that was installed is the inner spring has broken so it will not retract. They do not sell just the spring so the whole thing needs to be replaced. To have a technician come and look at it will be an additional $105... And they may tell me they can't fix and I would have to order the new one anyway. Costumer service was nice. I just feel that a product should offer cheaper replacements or free service consultations. $651 is a lot all because of a broken spring.

Original review: April 15, 2017

Purchased a new replacement front door from Pella N. Houston. They installed the door and I pointed out that the color did not look right and later found that the alarm sensor in the door frame no longer worked. I contacted the office and described what I found and was told the manager and another person would come to my home to look at the issue. They called to make an appointment but I was out of town during the requested time so they said they would call the next Monday to set the appointment. That was 3 weeks ago. I have called 2 more times to inquire about this and was told someone would call me and was given the person's direct number in case they did not reach me. Nobody called and when I call the number provided I get a recorder and I leave a message asking them to call me. So far nobody has called.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Pella Impervia Fiberglass Window - What a huge and expensive disappointment! I would NOT recommend these windows to anyone. We can now hear everything that's going on outside of our house. Even our neighbors' conversation. Makes you feel kind of exposed. Sadly, we changed every window in our house thinking we were buying the best. We replaced over 20 very old windows. I reached out to Pella and they had their Sales Manager contact us. He even made an effort and came to our home to discuss our concerns.

'Paul' made us feel like Pella actually cared. Unfortunately, after numerous attempts to contact him afterwards, even though he promised to deliver a solution to us, he completely disappeared into thin air. I think he thought that if he avoided us long enough we'd get used to the windows in time and he wouldn't have to do his job and deliver good customer service. These window let in so much noise that on garbage day when trucks are running back and forth, you swear they're right beside you. We will never order Pella products again and make sure our friends/family know not to do so either. We came up with our own solution... we are installing storm windows on top of the Pella Windows. And when our neighbors ask why we're doing this, we will make sure they know. Very disappointed!

Original review: April 12, 2017

Installation was fine... It's the follow-up when things go wrong. I'm two years out, and the front door sagged so that it didn't lock anymore... and some of the trim they installed over a new window was popping way out... so badly a hornet's nest was building behind it. I've called now 10 times... after 5 times they came out and fixed the front door... but forgot to fix the window?? Who knows, because no one will tell me why they didn't fix the window. What do I have to do to get them to come back??

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: April 12, 2017

I purchased Pella casement wood with aluminum clad windows for entire house, and every one has failed. Will not close properly, wood at bottom rotted out, horrible product! I called Pella, and paid full price to have several windows replaced, but the same rotting occurred again! I tried to get in the class action lawsuit but it was thrown out due to greedy lawyers. Also, French doors will not close properly. I WOULD GIVE PELLA A SCORE OF 0, if it was allowed. DO NOT BUY PELLA.

Original review: April 4, 2017

Our patio door has aluminum cladding on the exterior and wood framing on the interior and gets a lot of use. A friend of mine and me installed the door ourselves. It has performed marvelously throughout all these years. But the rollers on our Pella Pro-Line patio door that we purchased from Menards 9 years ago and installed ourselves appear to be wearing out. Makes sense. We have two dogs who are constantly going in and out all day long.

I went to the Pella website and determined I needed the serial number from the door to order the correct replacement rollers. The website showed where on the door I could find the number, but it was unfortunately illegible after so many years in the western sun. I then called the toll-free phone number for Pella. Holly took my information and asked me certain identifying questions about the door in the absence of a serial number. I explained how I have been using WD-40 on the rollers that seems to work ok, but after a few days the rollers begin dragging again. She explained they recommend against using WD-40 as it tends to collect dirt and debris in the rollers. They recommend using a paraffin wax product instead.Since the door was under 10 years old, she then ordered a pair of replacement rollers that will be shipped today and arriving within seven business days. No charge for the parts and no charge for the shipping.

Original review: March 30, 2017

Called and got an appointment with this company. Approx 1 hrs before they were to be here they called to see if the appointment was on and I said yes. He then said he has no information on what I wanted so I gave the information to him telling him I just needed one window right because we are remodeling our kitchen. He said "Bob, just one window." He then told me over the phone it would be $1,400.00. They never looked at anything and never came to the house. I then told him I got an estimate from another company yesterday and this was the top of the line window and for the window, install, wood outside covered in aluminum and insulated cream color and lifetime warranty, the total cost was, including tax was $668.00 so I told him "Don't bother to come out." I went with Window World. They showed up on time measured and looks at the outside.

Original review: March 10, 2017

Spent $20,000 2-1/2 yrs ago for new Pella windows. Week ago, went to open one, and I found sash was bowed. Called Pella who said their repair warranty expired in two years. To have their tech diagnose was $120. He determined the product was faulty; the frame of the sash was bowed preventing closure. Pella said they'd pay to replace the sash but not the shipping ($30+) or the tech to install the faulty product - another $120. They did give me the option of driving to Denver to get the new sash, and hiring my own handyman to install the new sash.

My contention is that if the problem was my fault, I wouldn't complain about paying for the dx, new part, or for its installation. But all this was necessitated by THEIR faulty product, which occurred just barely past their 2-year limit, so they should supply a good product, fix the problem, AND install it. Fooey on Pella. I have the windows in the back of my house to replace but I'll use ANYONE BUT Pella, and I certainly won't recommend them to anyone I know. Plus the woman in their Denver office, Jessica, was snotty and kept repeating the same thing as one would to a child.

Original review: March 8, 2017

The sales person that was sent out was very nice at the beginning until he wanted me to make a order right then. I told him I wanted to sleep on it and talk to my daughter first. He got very upset and said if I didn't sign right then he would lose the sale. I told him I didn't think so I would tell the people when I called if I decided to buy from him to give him the sale. He got very mad and told me I just wasted his time because I wouldn't buy at that moment. I told him I was sorry but I never buy on the spur of the moment and I wanted to sleep on it first. I wasn't going to buy that very day. He got mad and left and didn't say nothing, not I hope to hear from you soon or nothing. I won't be buying from the Pella Window co. in Grapevine Tx or from a Retail sales consultant person named Viad **.

Resolution response: April 6, 2017

On March 1, 2017 a window sash from one of my Pella Windows fell on me while I was sleeping, hitting me on the head. My knee-jerk reaction was to blame Pella, but they have been nothing but kind and gracious and caring. Turns out (after I had it inspected by my own, independent contractor) the fault was in the installation done by Lowes. Pella has volunteered to reinstall the window for me at no cost, as well as upgrading the latches on all the others. Great customer service Pella!

Original review: March 2, 2017

We bought Pella replacement windows from Lowe's in 2010. Double-hung Therma Star. Night before last I decided to open the windows to let the air in while we slept. At 4:00 a.m. I was awakened by a crushing pain in my head. The part of the window that flips forward for easy cleaning had fallen and hit me in the head! A few hours and a brain CT scan later I was deemed okay, with only a big bump and a large bruise on my forehead. I am waiting for the company to contact me. Hope it's not a bigger headache than I already have!

Updated on 03/11/2017: I already posted a review about getting hit in the head by the sash that fell from my Pella window on March 1st while I slept. They came out and decided it was the installer's fault. I haven't heard back from Lowe's. Guess they're going to point fingers at each other. Now I have a huge black eye. People stare and point at me when I go out. It's so painful and I can barely see, plus now I have horrible tinnitus. I could have been killed by this dangerous product.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I am not going to have enough space to write, the experience I had with this company. They are horrible from the CEO whom did not care for the three letter I sent him to the sales person and the regional manager for the Monroe area in CT. Whatever offer they may have 50% off and low interest rate financing it's not worth all the aggravation. They have very low quality products. I just had door installed which were too small, and the frame is already cracked and the winter is not over. It has not been six months since these doors were installed. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

We purchased and had installed Pella 350 series windows with simulated panes to replace old wooden windows on our farmhouse and wanted to at least keep some of the feeling of the old style. 2 years later we are still very pleased and are purchasing several more for use in our kitchen. Not sure what the trouble people have been having - wonder if it is the installation?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

Got a large French door and a large picture window from Pella in 2004. Both of them are leaking bad. They said the warranty has already expire, so we have to pay for the door and the installation. Pella doors are very expensive and their quality is so bad that they should not be in business. Their services are also terrible. Don't buy their products because they don't stand behind their products.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I have purchased front door of my house and asked him to provide all glass frame, bottom plate in gold. He kept promising that he will put Gold Plated sheet, Gold Plated base and Glass with Gold Background. But wrote down Glass with siIver and all other stuff in Gold. Totally Mismatch, I paid $4000 and got wrong and ugly looking front door. I complained about that and manager called me and started asking me to pay $400 to change the Glass. It was their fault and not ours. But being a nice customer I paid full amount at the time of installation, but after sales service is very bad. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND YOU GUYS to BUY PELLA DOORS. THEY are BIG TIME CHEATERS. Sales person gives you wrong information and then the whole thing starts. I should have checked the reviews prior to buying this product. Feeling bad to write these reviews but I am big time cheated by these scammers.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Built our dream house in 2003... lots and lots of windows (35, many of them paired). We weren't sold on Pella windows but our contractor was, so we deferred to him (kickback?). First problem was that any time there was any type of humidity, you could see round marks probably made by suction devices during the manufacturing. After many phone calls, Pella rep came and used a polish on the windows. 2012 had to have two paired casement windows replaced due to water damage/rot. Of course, not simply a matter of replacing the windows as siding etc had to be redone ($5000.00).

Now the largest window in the house (think great room, floor to ceiling) has rotting wood. Went to Pella window place where we purchased the windows from to seek assistance. Told that the windows have a 10-year warranty but they would see what they could do and get back to us. It has been two weeks and have yet to hear back from them (surprise, surprise). We are not holding our breath. Still love our house, but going with Pella windows was a huge mistake. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

The doors are very nice and service on them is good, but the quality of the built in blinds was a mistake. We've had nothing but problems with them falling down on their own and some with not going down all the way after putting them up. The rubber chain type thing that makes them open and close must wear out thus causing them not to work right.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

We had a sliding glass door replaced with a French door. Beautiful door but after installing we noticed it drug on our carpet which finally left a black mark on our carpet. My husband showed this to a Pella rep and all he told my husband it was too late to do anything about it now! It is really hard to raise and lower the blinds, and gets condensation in the blind area on one side.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

Spent $15k on new windows and door wall. 1st rain, they leaked. Dan **, Auburn Hills Michigan sales, said not their issue. No help solving. No support. Simply sold the windows and moved on.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I am so glad that consumers are writing about their experiences and dissatisfaction with Pella. I had to have my front entry door replaced 3 times and sidelights twice. Measurements were incorrect when the new door came, the second door was wrong color and did not match side lights and now my third door the fibreglass has faded badly. I also had my large living room windows replaced with new Pella at the same time the entry door and sidelights were done. The installation is, in my opinion, inferior. The windows creaks and makes noises when you press your hand lightly against it. There appears to be a lack of quality control in the once thought to be a superior product. I would not recommend Pella, in fact I wouldn't even give it a one star. Their prices are higher than most competing companies and the service is moderate.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

Two years ago, installed double door, side lights, blinds between the double panes. The blinds were fussy from the start. The door knob never worked right and Pella sent out a person to fix it, but it still is fussy. The blinds were used a few times then broke. The sting leaders are frayed and broken, blinds are sagging. Pella was contacted 6 months ago and they called back. Never got a person out to us.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

Most of the Pella windows in my home are rotting. Probably all of them (waiting for inspection to be sure). I built my home in 2007 and windows were the single largest purchase ($20,000). I bought from Pella because I trusted the name. After reading all the internet complaints it appears there is a class action lawsuit against Pella. Really??? I thought I purchased a top of the line product from a trusted company. I have called Pella and they are sending someone out. I hope my experience is better than the ones I'm reading about here.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

I might as well be brief. My experience of a poor product is just like everyone else's. Replaced a 50+ year old window. Wish I had it back. It wasn't leaking. Thought I might save some energy with a new one. Heart sick, worked and saved up money, 5000 dollars. What a waste. They changed seals. Still ice on inside, no not high humidity. What a lame excuse. Do not buy Pella!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

I am doing some remodeling and had a French door that needed to be replaced going out to my pool. My contractor recommended Pella and everyone has heard of Pella so I agreed to use Pella. Since we were replacing one door, we decided to replace a matching French door and one other single door going out to the pool area. We placed the order in October of 2016 and I think it took 10 weeks for the doors to come in. Both of the French doors were to be identical. Both doors active on both sets. All three doors are the same height. Pella has someone from their company come out and do the measurements because we want to make sure the order is correct.

The doors come in and my contractor's guys go to install them. They don't measure the doors because they think that of course everything will be good since Pella did the measurements. So they tear out my existing doors, ruining them in the process, and lo and behold, two of the doors are 2" short! I have one set of French doors that are 81" and another that is 12" apart from it that is 79". Even the single door is wrong and is 79". We called the Pella rep out and he inspected the doors. Apologizes profusely and came back three times after that to remeasure them again!

It is now January 10th, 2017 and I can't get an update on when the new doors will be in. We just had the coldest part of the winter here in Dallas with temps going down to 13 degrees and I have three doors installed with no trim around them and leaking air like they aren't even there. I am very frustrated. I have paid through my contractor $7800.00 for these doors and can't get a word on when the new correct replacement doors will be here and my job finished. Take a guess on if I will recommend Pella to friends! Feel free to contact me. I do have a receipt or work order but I am at work and don't have it with me.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Pella aluminum clad wood doors have a serious design flaw. All wood windows and doors need to be inspected and caulked, or painted regularly. It is impossible to inspect the clad wood doors. Furthermore, Pella's main selling point is that the doors never need to be painted or caulked. Our doors have leaked between the cladding and the glass. We had no idea there was a problem until the bottom of one door had rotted through to the inside. By the time the damage became evident the doors were past the warranty period. The local Pella representative sent a salesman who gave a verbal estimate of $8400 to replace the door! Although I have asked a number of times I have not been able to get any sort of a written contract with a firm commitment.

The door with obvious damage is one of 4 adjacent doors. I asked the representative if Pella had someone who could seal the remaining doors. He said that was not something they usually did and that there was probably water in the doors so sealing was not appropriate. I imagine the remaining doors will need replacement soon. This is totally unacceptable.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I had brought two storm doors from Lowe's in 2014. I called on 12/30/2016 about my storm door when I raise the window down the net inside the window would come out on the sides. Now let me remind you I had two of these door. No small children. A rep came out from Pella put another stream in the door. He said sometime it comes out if kids push on it well I have no small kids. He put it in about a month later it started again the one at the front door I had never had a problem not even now just this side door I said it must be defective.

I had a return call back from Pella on 1/4/2017 a man name Dave never said his last name he had me opening and closing the door. Told me to push it more to the side and if the lock isn't working right take off the lock. He said I can do that myself. At that point I said all this time I've been talking on this phone you're going to tell me I can do this myself. He said he was sorry there nothing he can do. I said I would not recommend anyone to buy Pella Doors he said ok. He then said the doors was build in 2008. I didn't buy them in 2008.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

I have 3 Pella sliding doors, which I installed when I built my home in 1998. In August of this year I noticed that the veneer on the lower door panel was bubbling, interfering with the sliding of the door. I removed the veneer and found that the wood panel behind it was completely rotted. Given the extent of the damage it must have started sometime ago because of a faulty seal but it was not apparent until this year. Pella claimed that since I failed to report the damage during the warranty period they would not repair the door. I provided a picture of the damage and explained I could not report this hidden damage could until it became apparent in August '16. They offered to replace it for over $2000, and since the nature of the damage in the photo was apparent offered to waive the inspection fee of $125 to confirm the damage. So much for standing behind your product.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

I had a $4000 fiberglass door wall installed by Pella last year. The installation took over 6 months to complete! They did not measure properly and it took months to get in installed. At the end the installation was okay but the door does not perform. Water condensates on the door frame and even ice forms. This is a horrible product and should not be sold. Pella says they installed it properly and will not honor their warranty. I had the humidity levels checked and they are low. No water condensates on the glass, only the door frame indicating the door frame is not insulated and defective. Pella is difficult to deal with and expensive! I thought I would get a top of the line product. I did not. The salesman disappeared after he got his money. Never heard from him. I would recommend Pella to my worst enemy. Don't buy Pella. They will not help you. This has been a nightmare!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

We placed an order for Pella windows and door on October 1st. Unfortunately, I lost my job, hence we called up Pella on October 4th and cancelled the order. (Installation was to be done on November 14th.) The lady who attended the call confirmed the cancellation. Payment was thru a loan from Wells Fargo. Yesterday, (November 14th) we received an invoice from Wells Fargo for first installment?! When we called Wells Fargo, we were told Pella never informed Wells Fargo about the cancellation.

They asked us to call Pella. To our surprise, as per Pella, we could only cancel installation, not the entire door?! Now, if we want to cancel the order, we must pay 50%?! This is totally unacceptable, no one informed us about this clause when we cancelled the order on October 4th. Since we have to pay 50%, we decided to go ahead with changing windows. Now, it seems they are booked for the entire month?! They take our money, even after we cancelled the order, now they are busy to come down to replace the windows?!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

I had to write something since I bought Pella in 2007 with the built in shades. I bought burgundy colored and some type of synthetic plastic material. They are wonderful. Maybe it helps that the installation man was very good. I have a very old house and previously I had to constantly clean the blinds. They said I would have to clean inside occasionally and there is a way but they are sealed so well that I haven't had to dust the inside. It has been 8 years. They still look nice and the bright burgundy colored has not faded. So nice to not have to buy or clean blinds (they are built in). I am buying more if they still have them.

Pella Company Information