Compare Window & Door Companies

Research top Window & Door Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I put brand new Pella windows in my house in 2002. I had Pella out twice because the south facing picture window would gush water in heavy rains. The first time the technician squirted some caulk and said all was well, and it was until it rained again. The next time a rep came out and showed me the manufacturing defect where the aluminum cladding was pulling away from the window. Pella later came out and replaced almost all my windows and doors. Many were completely rotten at this point. The parts were free, but they charged me $1000.00 in labor. Buy something else.

We purchased over $19,000.00 worth of Pella windows, from Lowe's that were suppose to "block 94% of the sun's ultraviolet rays". One year later, our furniture has drastically faded! When we contacted Pella they sent someone out and came back with a letter saying that furniture placed by windows will fade!! We even have wall decorations that have faded. Very dissatisfied with Pella's lack of responsibility in this matter.

I installed 5 Pella storm doors on my house. I have a lot of doors and wanted quality storm doors. Boy was I wrong. I have had to replace all the Storm Door Mortise Lock Inserts at least once. They fail and the door won't open without prying it open. In all I have replaced 12 of them. I have also had to replace 8 of the door closer brackets that hold the closer to the door frame. They are terrible especially for $180 doors. I am replacing them as they break now. Just replaced 2 of them.

Customer service is non-existence. Our Pella storm door lock broke and after calls to Pella, we were told essentially that they had no answers or solutions for the faulty product they were selling. Blogs on the internet showed that this is a routine problem. Wish I had known this before I bought this door. I would NEVER buy their products again. A locksmith is installing a different lock at quite an expense to me.

Don't Buy Pella. After months of a lingering nightmare-like experience in trying to resolve several issues with Pella regarding 3 doors I ordered, it is time to file complaints and warn others about their lack of any concept of customer satisfaction. Issue number one was each door that was delivered was the wrong size for the rough opening (Ro). I am remodeling an older house with some unusual Ros. The salesman did not measure the opening prior to the order and just entered what is called standard wall depth of 4 9/16 and standard jam depth and each door size is 37.5 X 78.75.

The actual rough openings as measured by my contractor after the doors were delivered and the attempts to get things remediated began are: Actual door opening measurements from my contractor: Front door onto porch: Rough opening 38 inches wide, 75 inches tall, door jamb actual is 8 inches wide.

Front door into living room: Rough opening 38 inches wide, 81 inches tall, door jamb actual is 4 inches wide. Mud room door: Rough opening 38 inches wide, 78 inches tall, door jamb actual is 7 inches wide. While two of the doors were hung with modifications to the Ro and lots of trimming to make it look descent, the third door (front door onto porch) is going to require raising the roof line to make it fit. This is not an inexpensive thing to have to do. The only conclusion I can gain from this is they did not supply the correctly sized doors to fit my rough openings and have stalled and essentially refused to do anything about it.

Next issue is their Pella Brown which is nothing like the brown oak-like colors in the catalog that I thought I was ordering. When I saw the doors I honestly thought they had delivered someone else's order. I would have never picked that color had it been shown to me. I was told by the salesman (who is no longer with the company) that the brown would be like the ones in the catalog which are more like a golden oak. I have a Pella door at my current home and it is a nice medium brown oak like color. The color Pella Brown is very dark, charcoal, green-like color that reminds me of fecal material that has a lot of blood in it. The manager for Pella (Mr. John **) pretty much says it is too bad I don't like it, it is Pella brown.

So wrong size; too bad customer, you can just change your roof. Don't like the color; too bad customer, paint it. Wrong size doors for other openings; too bad customer, pay to have your contractor make it fit. Customer satisfaction is obviously not a part of Pella Corporation management style or I would have had new correctly sized and colored doors long ago OR I would have my money back (my original request months ago), then they can have their ** doors.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Pella Windows installed 5 windows for us in February 2017. We are totally unhappy with the product. The salesperson also did not listen to what our needs were and sold us a product that we did not want. When we looked to them to resolve the problem they did nothing and they continue to refuse to acknowledge their mistakes. We thought that a company of this size would care about their reputation. I am more upset that they have not responded to our concerns than what they did and sold us!!!

I had 3 Sliding glass door assemblies replace on my home approx. 2 yrs ago. Lowes/Pella. Happy with product and install. Made a BIG difference in Winter/Spring. Lawnmower shattered exterior glass panel on stationary door. Pella said I was lucky because this single piece of glass was replaceable (as opposed to the whole panel). Took two weeks to get a email quote. One glass replacement (out of four) $1198.58. The ENTIRE sliding door with installation which required an additional modification cost of $200.00 dollars. Cost was $1,300.00. Now the funny part... Pella quoted me 2 man hours @ $315.00 per hour!!! What the **. Are they smoking??? When I stopped laughing I had a local guy do it for $225.00. Pella’s quote was $1198.58.

Designer series sliding glass door with Rolscreen was installed in 2004. Rolscreen has broken and to replace it will cost $651 plus tax. This is just for the screen, not the frame. The only problem with the one that was installed is the inner spring has broken so it will not retract. They do not sell just the spring so the whole thing needs to be replaced. To have a technician come and look at it will be an additional $105... And they may tell me they can't fix and I would have to order the new one anyway. Costumer service was nice. I just feel that a product should offer cheaper replacements or free service consultations. $651 is a lot all because of a broken spring.

Purchased a new replacement front door from Pella N. Houston. They installed the door and I pointed out that the color did not look right and later found that the alarm sensor in the door frame no longer worked. I contacted the office and described what I found and was told the manager and another person would come to my home to look at the issue. They called to make an appointment but I was out of town during the requested time so they said they would call the next Monday to set the appointment. That was 3 weeks ago. I have called 2 more times to inquire about this and was told someone would call me and was given the person's direct number in case they did not reach me. Nobody called and when I call the number provided I get a recorder and I leave a message asking them to call me. So far nobody has called.

Pella Impervia Fiberglass Window - What a huge and expensive disappointment! I would NOT recommend these windows to anyone. We can now hear everything that's going on outside of our house. Even our neighbors' conversation. Makes you feel kind of exposed. Sadly, we changed every window in our house thinking we were buying the best. We replaced over 20 very old windows. I reached out to Pella and they had their Sales Manager contact us. He even made an effort and came to our home to discuss our concerns.

'Paul' made us feel like Pella actually cared. Unfortunately, after numerous attempts to contact him afterwards, even though he promised to deliver a solution to us, he completely disappeared into thin air. I think he thought that if he avoided us long enough we'd get used to the windows in time and he wouldn't have to do his job and deliver good customer service. These window let in so much noise that on garbage day when trucks are running back and forth, you swear they're right beside you. We will never order Pella products again and make sure our friends/family know not to do so either. We came up with our own solution... we are installing storm windows on top of the Pella Windows. And when our neighbors ask why we're doing this, we will make sure they know. Very disappointed!

Installation was fine... It's the follow-up when things go wrong. I'm two years out, and the front door sagged so that it didn't lock anymore... and some of the trim they installed over a new window was popping way out... so badly a hornet's nest was building behind it. I've called now 10 times... after 5 times they came out and fixed the front door... but forgot to fix the window?? Who knows, because no one will tell me why they didn't fix the window. What do I have to do to get them to come back??

I purchased Pella casement wood with aluminum clad windows for entire house, and every one has failed. Will not close properly, wood at bottom rotted out, horrible product! I called Pella, and paid full price to have several windows replaced, but the same rotting occurred again! I tried to get in the class action lawsuit but it was thrown out due to greedy lawyers. Also, French doors will not close properly. I WOULD GIVE PELLA A SCORE OF 0, if it was allowed. DO NOT BUY PELLA.

Our patio door has aluminum cladding on the exterior and wood framing on the interior and gets a lot of use. A friend of mine and me installed the door ourselves. It has performed marvelously throughout all these years. But the rollers on our Pella Pro-Line patio door that we purchased from Menards 9 years ago and installed ourselves appear to be wearing out. Makes sense. We have two dogs who are constantly going in and out all day long.

I went to the Pella website and determined I needed the serial number from the door to order the correct replacement rollers. The website showed where on the door I could find the number, but it was unfortunately illegible after so many years in the western sun. I then called the toll-free phone number for Pella. Holly took my information and asked me certain identifying questions about the door in the absence of a serial number. I explained how I have been using WD-40 on the rollers that seems to work ok, but after a few days the rollers begin dragging again. She explained they recommend against using WD-40 as it tends to collect dirt and debris in the rollers. They recommend using a paraffin wax product instead.Since the door was under 10 years old, she then ordered a pair of replacement rollers that will be shipped today and arriving within seven business days. No charge for the parts and no charge for the shipping.

Called and got an appointment with this company. Approx 1 hrs before they were to be here they called to see if the appointment was on and I said yes. He then said he has no information on what I wanted so I gave the information to him telling him I just needed one window right because we are remodeling our kitchen. He said "Bob, just one window." He then told me over the phone it would be $1,400.00. They never looked at anything and never came to the house. I then told him I got an estimate from another company yesterday and this was the top of the line window and for the window, install, wood outside covered in aluminum and insulated cream color and lifetime warranty, the total cost was, including tax was $668.00 so I told him "Don't bother to come out." I went with Window World. They showed up on time measured and looks at the outside.

Spent $20,000 2-1/2 yrs ago for new Pella windows. Week ago, went to open one, and I found sash was bowed. Called Pella who said their repair warranty expired in two years. To have their tech diagnose was $120. He determined the product was faulty; the frame of the sash was bowed preventing closure. Pella said they'd pay to replace the sash but not the shipping ($30+) or the tech to install the faulty product - another $120. They did give me the option of driving to Denver to get the new sash, and hiring my own handyman to install the new sash.

My contention is that if the problem was my fault, I wouldn't complain about paying for the dx, new part, or for its installation. But all this was necessitated by THEIR faulty product, which occurred just barely past their 2-year limit, so they should supply a good product, fix the problem, AND install it. Fooey on Pella. I have the windows in the back of my house to replace but I'll use ANYONE BUT Pella, and I certainly won't recommend them to anyone I know. Plus the woman in their Denver office, Jessica, was snotty and kept repeating the same thing as one would to a child.

The sales person that was sent out was very nice at the beginning until he wanted me to make a order right then. I told him I wanted to sleep on it and talk to my daughter first. He got very upset and said if I didn't sign right then he would lose the sale. I told him I didn't think so I would tell the people when I called if I decided to buy from him to give him the sale. He got very mad and told me I just wasted his time because I wouldn't buy at that moment. I told him I was sorry but I never buy on the spur of the moment and I wanted to sleep on it first. I wasn't going to buy that very day. He got mad and left and didn't say nothing, not I hope to hear from you soon or nothing. I won't be buying from the Pella Window co. in Grapevine Tx or from a Retail sales consultant person named Viad **.

Consumer Increased Rating!

On March 1, 2017 a window sash from one of my Pella Windows fell on me while I was sleeping, hitting me on the head. My knee-jerk reaction was to blame Pella, but they have been nothing but kind and gracious and caring. Turns out (after I had it inspected by my own, independent contractor) the fault was in the installation done by Lowes. Pella has volunteered to reinstall the window for me at no cost, as well as upgrading the latches on all the others. Great customer service Pella!

Goldie of Azle, TX on

Original Review

We bought Pella replacement windows from Lowe's in 2010. Double-hung Therma Star. Night before last I decided to open the windows to let the air in while we slept. At 4:00 a.m. I was awakened by a crushing pain in my head. The part of the window that flips forward for easy cleaning had fallen and hit me in the head! A few hours and a brain CT scan later I was deemed okay, with only a big bump and a large bruise on my forehead. I am waiting for the company to contact me. Hope it's not a bigger headache than I already have!

Updated on 03/11/2017: I already posted a review about getting hit in the head by the sash that fell from my Pella window on March 1st while I slept. They came out and decided it was the installer's fault. I haven't heard back from Lowe's. Guess they're going to point fingers at each other. Now I have a huge black eye. People stare and point at me when I go out. It's so painful and I can barely see, plus now I have horrible tinnitus. I could have been killed by this dangerous product.

I am not going to have enough space to write, the experience I had with this company. They are horrible from the CEO whom did not care for the three letter I sent him to the sales person and the regional manager for the Monroe area in CT. Whatever offer they may have 50% off and low interest rate financing it's not worth all the aggravation. They have very low quality products. I just had door installed which were too small, and the frame is already cracked and the winter is not over. It has not been six months since these doors were installed. STAY AWAY!!!

We purchased and had installed Pella 350 series windows with simulated panes to replace old wooden windows on our farmhouse and wanted to at least keep some of the feeling of the old style. 2 years later we are still very pleased and are purchasing several more for use in our kitchen. Not sure what the trouble people have been having - wonder if it is the installation?

Got a large French door and a large picture window from Pella in 2004. Both of them are leaking bad. They said the warranty has already expire, so we have to pay for the door and the installation. Pella doors are very expensive and their quality is so bad that they should not be in business. Their services are also terrible. Don't buy their products because they don't stand behind their products.

I have purchased front door of my house and asked him to provide all glass frame, bottom plate in gold. He kept promising that he will put Gold Plated sheet, Gold Plated base and Glass with Gold Background. But wrote down Glass with siIver and all other stuff in Gold. Totally Mismatch, I paid $4000 and got wrong and ugly looking front door. I complained about that and manager called me and started asking me to pay $400 to change the Glass. It was their fault and not ours. But being a nice customer I paid full amount at the time of installation, but after sales service is very bad. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND YOU GUYS to BUY PELLA DOORS. THEY are BIG TIME CHEATERS. Sales person gives you wrong information and then the whole thing starts. I should have checked the reviews prior to buying this product. Feeling bad to write these reviews but I am big time cheated by these scammers.

Built our dream house in 2003... lots and lots of windows (35, many of them paired). We weren't sold on Pella windows but our contractor was, so we deferred to him (kickback?). First problem was that any time there was any type of humidity, you could see round marks probably made by suction devices during the manufacturing. After many phone calls, Pella rep came and used a polish on the windows. 2012 had to have two paired casement windows replaced due to water damage/rot. Of course, not simply a matter of replacing the windows as siding etc had to be redone ($5000.00).

Now the largest window in the house (think great room, floor to ceiling) has rotting wood. Went to Pella window place where we purchased the windows from to seek assistance. Told that the windows have a 10-year warranty but they would see what they could do and get back to us. It has been two weeks and have yet to hear back from them (surprise, surprise). We are not holding our breath. Still love our house, but going with Pella windows was a huge mistake. Never again.

The doors are very nice and service on them is good, but the quality of the built in blinds was a mistake. We've had nothing but problems with them falling down on their own and some with not going down all the way after putting them up. The rubber chain type thing that makes them open and close must wear out thus causing them not to work right.

We had a sliding glass door replaced with a French door. Beautiful door but after installing we noticed it drug on our carpet which finally left a black mark on our carpet. My husband showed this to a Pella rep and all he told my husband it was too late to do anything about it now! It is really hard to raise and lower the blinds, and gets condensation in the blind area on one side.

Spent $15k on new windows and door wall. 1st rain, they leaked. Dan **, Auburn Hills Michigan sales, said not their issue. No help solving. No support. Simply sold the windows and moved on.

I am so glad that consumers are writing about their experiences and dissatisfaction with Pella. I had to have my front entry door replaced 3 times and sidelights twice. Measurements were incorrect when the new door came, the second door was wrong color and did not match side lights and now my third door the fibreglass has faded badly. I also had my large living room windows replaced with new Pella at the same time the entry door and sidelights were done. The installation is, in my opinion, inferior. The windows creaks and makes noises when you press your hand lightly against it. There appears to be a lack of quality control in the once thought to be a superior product. I would not recommend Pella, in fact I wouldn't even give it a one star. Their prices are higher than most competing companies and the service is moderate.

Two years ago, installed double door, side lights, blinds between the double panes. The blinds were fussy from the start. The door knob never worked right and Pella sent out a person to fix it, but it still is fussy. The blinds were used a few times then broke. The sting leaders are frayed and broken, blinds are sagging. Pella was contacted 6 months ago and they called back. Never got a person out to us.

Most of the Pella windows in my home are rotting. Probably all of them (waiting for inspection to be sure). I built my home in 2007 and windows were the single largest purchase ($20,000). I bought from Pella because I trusted the name. After reading all the internet complaints it appears there is a class action lawsuit against Pella. Really??? I thought I purchased a top of the line product from a trusted company. I have called Pella and they are sending someone out. I hope my experience is better than the ones I'm reading about here.

I might as well be brief. My experience of a poor product is just like everyone else's. Replaced a 50+ year old window. Wish I had it back. It wasn't leaking. Thought I might save some energy with a new one. Heart sick, worked and saved up money, 5000 dollars. What a waste. They changed seals. Still ice on inside, no not high humidity. What a lame excuse. Do not buy Pella!!!

I am doing some remodeling and had a French door that needed to be replaced going out to my pool. My contractor recommended Pella and everyone has heard of Pella so I agreed to use Pella. Since we were replacing one door, we decided to replace a matching French door and one other single door going out to the pool area. We placed the order in October of 2016 and I think it took 10 weeks for the doors to come in. Both of the French doors were to be identical. Both doors active on both sets. All three doors are the same height. Pella has someone from their company come out and do the measurements because we want to make sure the order is correct.

The doors come in and my contractor's guys go to install them. They don't measure the doors because they think that of course everything will be good since Pella did the measurements. So they tear out my existing doors, ruining them in the process, and lo and behold, two of the doors are 2" short! I have one set of French doors that are 81" and another that is 12" apart from it that is 79". Even the single door is wrong and is 79". We called the Pella rep out and he inspected the doors. Apologizes profusely and came back three times after that to remeasure them again!

It is now January 10th, 2017 and I can't get an update on when the new doors will be in. We just had the coldest part of the winter here in Dallas with temps going down to 13 degrees and I have three doors installed with no trim around them and leaking air like they aren't even there. I am very frustrated. I have paid through my contractor $7800.00 for these doors and can't get a word on when the new correct replacement doors will be here and my job finished. Take a guess on if I will recommend Pella to friends! Feel free to contact me. I do have a receipt or work order but I am at work and don't have it with me.

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

Pella has a 90-year history of designing and building high-quality, energy-efficient windows and doors. The company has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year nine times, most recently in 2016.

• Extreme commitment to sustainability: Pella not only sells energy-efficient products but also constantly tests new products and new technology to make products even more sustainable.
  • Custom shapes available: Pella builds aluminum-clad wood windows, vinyl windows and fiberglass windows Pella will also customize products to meet customers’ needs. The company also makes wood, fiberglass and steel entry doors; French doors; sliding, bifold and multi-panel patio doors; storm doors; and garage doors.
  • Online guides available: Customers can watch videos or read blogs to help them get design ideas and get started purchasing doors and windows.
  • Installation and service help: Customers can schedule a service visit online if they need help with their products.
  • Custom product creation: Users can create a custom door or window using this company's online design tool to choose materials, colors, shapes and sizes.
  • Best for Pella is best for people who are environmentally conscious and want to purchase high-quality windows and doors.

Compare Windows & Doors