Compare Window & Door Companies

Research top Window & Door Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have read so many complaints about Pella windows that I just had to put pen to paper my 35 year experience with this company. In 1981 I added an addition to my house and installed 14 Double Hung windows and a Sliding Glass door. At the same I replaced all the existing windows in the house with new Pella ones. I can quite honestly say not one has rotted, the double hung ones are still working like new, the sliding door (although it's taken a beating over the years) is in relatively good condition and the 2 casement windows are in pristine working order. If anyone at Pella wants to contact me they are more than welcome. Better still they can come and see for themselves the state of the windows.

Never buy again! I started buying Pella products thirty years ago and have tried to be patient. I've reached the point that it's overpriced and the customer service is terrible. Why should a good customer be given vague answers by high school graduates? Why should a minor job be so expensive (taking out a designer screen door is impossible). I read the instructions and they still don't make sense. The showroom windows and doors look good but it's another story once in. I have French doors, a large double sliding glass door, another sliding door, all wood and a fiberglass designer in my kitchen, not to mention many windows! It's hard to pop the windows to clean them and the casement windows will rot at the bottom. If it wasn't so hard to reach the corporate office for solid answers it would be different. Once you're sold, they really forget you fast!

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. We bought window replacements, 6 weeks late on delivery, several windows made wrong. Checked order and sizing, correctly ordered. Their people can't measure. Then a couple windows came back damaged and had to be replaced. We thought this was finally done, but no! Pella returned a window with the grids on the bottom and clear on the top. Excuse me but has anyone seen windows like this? So again we had to reorder. Finally, the right window showed up and our job was done. 5 1/2 months later for a job that was supposed to be around 30 days. Installers were great and beyond patient with Pella.

I thought this was my last experience with the company, but unfortunately our contractor installed a Pella garage door. A panel needs to be replaced and it's been 2 plus months and no sign of the parts and a dozen calls to their horrendous customer service with no results yet. And when they ask you to leave a message, don't expect a callback, because it's not going to happen. Did that 5 times so far! Too bad they make a good product, it's just lousy management and execution. Hope this helps. There are other good product on the market. Next time I will go with them.

We just want to provide our positive experience with the recent installation of 15 windows and 1 patio door. The installation crew, Dustin ** and Dave **, were outstanding. These two individuals were very knowledgeable and competent with respect to the removal of the existing windows and door and reinstallation of same. They reviewed each window location, placed pads and cloth to protect the floors and furniture, and performed their work very expeditiously. They both had a very good demeanor and addressed every question that we had with respect to the window and door products. After they completed their work each day they cleaned up all the debris, vacuumed, and in one case wiped our hardwood floor. Both of these individuals were polite and courteous, maintaining a professional presence throughout the project.

Delivery was made by Dan **, who was on time and also was very courteous and polite. His delivery was done expeditiously with care to make sure the windows and door were not damaged and that the delivery had all the miscellaneous materials for each window and door.

I am deeply disappointed in the recent response from Pella windows regarding the failure of the casement windows that were sold to us in 2003. We purchased Pella windows due to the quality and price of their product. Recently it was discovered that the casement windows have become rotted and now causing further structural damage to our house.

After doing some research, we learned that others have had this very same problem. It is very unfortunate that Pella knows the casement windows were defective and yet would come back with the determination that the water damage came from the inside of the windows. This simply can't be possible as there is very little water damage on the inside compared to the water/structure damage that has taken place on the outside. The Pella rep stated "we can't prove that the sash failed". Really??? I can say that the Pella representative was willing to send a sales rep out to give us a bid on new windows, which would have a better warranty. However, currently in my opinion, this is unacceptable and insulting at best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

We have had nothing but problems with their products (all of them). Almost half of the windows had leaks and had to be replaced. The warranty covered the materials, but not the labor which came to over $600. Now the window sills are rusting. Trying to get someone to come out and look at a problem takes months. Also, we have also had problems with the screen door we bought from them (constantly coming loose) and the rolling screen door for the sliding glass doors we bought. We really regret using this company.

I just had a sunroom built and had Pella windows with blinds installed. 10 7ft double hung windows. I cannot adjust some of the blinds to save my soul. I think scissors will fix the problem. I hate these windows. I can see that when I have to eventually open the windows to clean them on the inside it will be hours of trying to get the blinds readjusted. You barely touch them and they are out of whack. Wasted my money on these.

Purchased a pair of sliding doors manufactured by Pella about 5 years ago. These unknown bb size pellets started rolling out on both doors between the panes of glass. Pella service dept wanted $830 to replace the glass. This I feel is a total failure of their product and not caused by normal use, plus they said these unknown pellets were not placed there by the manufacturer. Since the glass has a 10 year warranty they will replace the glass but labor is on me and I have to pick the glass up. I am very unhappy with Pella and how they handled this. I will probably replace both doors with a different manufacturer and never use Pella again. These doors are the ones that have the built in blinds between the panes of glass which also don't work correctly.

Complex Litigation Group LLC was prosecuting a class action lawsuit against Pella Corporation and Pella Windows and Doors, Inc. involving ProLine aluminum clad windows. Pella's ProLine windows contain an alleged design defect that allows water to enter the window sash, causing wood rot and necessitating costly window replacement. Because of the ProLine window's design, any wood rot is usually concealed by the aluminum cladding. As a result, homeowners may not discover the problems with Pella ProLine windows until it has reached an advanced stage, requiring replacement of the entire window and frame.

So this past fall, 2016, I spent $5000 to replace 4 Pella windows (with Andersen Windows) because THEY WOULD NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT! I was told it was my fault because I didn't get on the roof to caulk around the windows... They also will tell you it was installed improperly... Never their design flaw.

Update: I had one more kitchen transom window to deal with (due to the same rotting dilemma), this past week. Unfortunately, the transom was part of the double hung frame. No other window company had that same size and design, so I had no other choice! What a deal I got! With 40% off, I only have to pay $2400... And all because of THEIR design flaw... What a deal... smh.

Pella WINDOWS STORE IN SIOUX CITY, IOWA - We purchased 16,000 dollars worth of Pella windows for our new four season room and they were not as we ordered. When we complained to the dealer he said and I quote "What do you want me to do. Tell my sales person that he made a 16,000 dollar mistake?" Now the windows show that the glass was never cleaned on both sides of the two panes before they were put together. So far they refuse to do anything about it. My day is coming.

The installation of my windows was good, and the new front door we installed had was solid. The problem arose when 2 of the 11 so called premium replacement windows would not stay in the risen position after 15 months. When I called the Nashville office to get them repaired, I was told only the parts would be at no cost, and that I would need to replace them myself. Like I am going to remove windows on the second floor and replace these parts. These lasted less than 2 years and have began to break. Go elsewhere!

The contractor hired by Pella damaged the finish on my stair railing and damaged the drywall during installation. A day was set for repair and much to my surprise (sarcasm), the contractor was a no show. Contact the sales person and he is going to contact the contract head, his boss. All I hear now is crickets! Go elsewhere and save yourself the aggravation.

I purchased a Pella Fiberglass Door assembly from Lowe's with aluminum casing. Much more expensive than I usually do but I thought this would last us 30 years like the original. 8 years in, the wood at the base of the door is rotten. You can see holes on the edge and the fiberglass skin is peeling off at the bottom. Pella has a 10 year warranty but only 2 on labor, fine. I paid $125 just to have them look at it and another $125 to install my warranty door. This is where the fun begins. I bought my door stained Honey Oak, guess what? They don't cover the stain. So I agree to pay another $140 to have them stain the door. Then I get a call a month later, "We don't stain fiberglass doors. You will have to do it yourself." Pella will never see another dollar from me. I even purchased a new storm door from them a few months before this started. Not again.

Ordered custom 16 ft triple wall garage door through Lowe’s. When door was ready to be dropped off at my house they gave me a 2 hour window. They called 30 minutes after that window to tell me they would be there that afternoon. I couldn't make it back from work. Had to leave for with my wife. They never opened it and checked it. I got home and it was the wrong color. Contacted them the next day and was told that's what the order was and it wasn't their fault but they will look into it. Went to Lowe’s, they put in the correct color. Was later contacted back saying that this was a temporary door for me to install that mine was on back order. (Sounds like a terrible excuse that they messed up to me and didn't want to admit it but I left it alone).

The next week my door comes in and I take of work again to meet them. I make sure to open and inspect every panel in front of the delivery person. Every panel had chips in the paint. I showed the delivery driver and he tells me they will send touch up paint. As I've been waiting over a month now for these doors I kept them and took picture to send Pella expecting them to take care of this. You did not buy something brand new to have to put touch up paint on roughly 12 different spots. I contact Pella. Send them pictures and they ask me what I want them to do about it to fix this. They say they will send out touch up paint. I told them if I'm to accept touch up paint then this door should be severely discounted. They said they would see what they could do and I've not heard nothing back. Then I come back home and find the delivery driver had left all the trash on the top of his van and I am now picking it all up thru my neighborhood.

Finally I frame out my house for the 16 ft door and go to put the door up to find out I'm missing 5 different hinges and 2 rollers. I was forced to install brackets to secure my garage door which made the door temporarily unusable. Contact Pella again. They send me over to some department that says they will send out all the missing parts. A week later still no parts. Luckily Lowe’s contacted me to see how things were going. I let them know everything and the employee got me all the missing parts. It has now been 3 weeks and and still no parts from Pella and Pella has no idea I got the missing pieces from Lowe’s. Absolutely the worst experience buying anything and I will never buy another thing from Pella, as I still need a front door and windows for my house. This has cost them a lot more than a $1300 garage door. In effect has also lost these sales from Lowe’s which I have always had great service with.

We had 1 front door, two sliding doors, 10 windows installed. Both sliding doors have been fixed from not wanting to open at all. Screens fell off from the hardware breaking off, 3 crank handles broke, and front door is warping and separated at the bottom. Once you've paid WAY too much for them (thinking what a great company they must be) you can't afford to fix anything!

I put brand new Pella windows in my house in 2002. I had Pella out twice because the south facing picture window would gush water in heavy rains. The first time the technician squirted some caulk and said all was well, and it was until it rained again. The next time a rep came out and showed me the manufacturing defect where the aluminum cladding was pulling away from the window. Pella later came out and replaced almost all my windows and doors. Many were completely rotten at this point. The parts were free, but they charged me $1000.00 in labor. Buy something else.

We purchased over $19,000.00 worth of Pella windows, from Lowe's that were suppose to "block 94% of the sun's ultraviolet rays". One year later, our furniture has drastically faded! When we contacted Pella they sent someone out and came back with a letter saying that furniture placed by windows will fade!! We even have wall decorations that have faded. Very dissatisfied with Pella's lack of responsibility in this matter.

I installed 5 Pella storm doors on my house. I have a lot of doors and wanted quality storm doors. Boy was I wrong. I have had to replace all the Storm Door Mortise Lock Inserts at least once. They fail and the door won't open without prying it open. In all I have replaced 12 of them. I have also had to replace 8 of the door closer brackets that hold the closer to the door frame. They are terrible especially for $180 doors. I am replacing them as they break now. Just replaced 2 of them.

Customer service is non-existence. Our Pella storm door lock broke and after calls to Pella, we were told essentially that they had no answers or solutions for the faulty product they were selling. Blogs on the internet showed that this is a routine problem. Wish I had known this before I bought this door. I would NEVER buy their products again. A locksmith is installing a different lock at quite an expense to me.

Don't Buy Pella. After months of a lingering nightmare-like experience in trying to resolve several issues with Pella regarding 3 doors I ordered, it is time to file complaints and warn others about their lack of any concept of customer satisfaction. Issue number one was each door that was delivered was the wrong size for the rough opening (Ro). I am remodeling an older house with some unusual Ros. The salesman did not measure the opening prior to the order and just entered what is called standard wall depth of 4 9/16 and standard jam depth and each door size is 37.5 X 78.75.

The actual rough openings as measured by my contractor after the doors were delivered and the attempts to get things remediated began are: Actual door opening measurements from my contractor: Front door onto porch: Rough opening 38 inches wide, 75 inches tall, door jamb actual is 8 inches wide.

Front door into living room: Rough opening 38 inches wide, 81 inches tall, door jamb actual is 4 inches wide. Mud room door: Rough opening 38 inches wide, 78 inches tall, door jamb actual is 7 inches wide. While two of the doors were hung with modifications to the Ro and lots of trimming to make it look descent, the third door (front door onto porch) is going to require raising the roof line to make it fit. This is not an inexpensive thing to have to do. The only conclusion I can gain from this is they did not supply the correctly sized doors to fit my rough openings and have stalled and essentially refused to do anything about it.

Next issue is their Pella Brown which is nothing like the brown oak-like colors in the catalog that I thought I was ordering. When I saw the doors I honestly thought they had delivered someone else's order. I would have never picked that color had it been shown to me. I was told by the salesman (who is no longer with the company) that the brown would be like the ones in the catalog which are more like a golden oak. I have a Pella door at my current home and it is a nice medium brown oak like color. The color Pella Brown is very dark, charcoal, green-like color that reminds me of fecal material that has a lot of blood in it. The manager for Pella (Mr. John **) pretty much says it is too bad I don't like it, it is Pella brown.

So wrong size; too bad customer, you can just change your roof. Don't like the color; too bad customer, paint it. Wrong size doors for other openings; too bad customer, pay to have your contractor make it fit. Customer satisfaction is obviously not a part of Pella Corporation management style or I would have had new correctly sized and colored doors long ago OR I would have my money back (my original request months ago), then they can have their ** doors.

Pella Windows installed 5 windows for us in February 2017. We are totally unhappy with the product. The salesperson also did not listen to what our needs were and sold us a product that we did not want. When we looked to them to resolve the problem they did nothing and they continue to refuse to acknowledge their mistakes. We thought that a company of this size would care about their reputation. I am more upset that they have not responded to our concerns than what they did and sold us!!!

I had 3 Sliding glass door assemblies replace on my home approx. 2 yrs ago. Lowes/Pella. Happy with product and install. Made a BIG difference in Winter/Spring. Lawnmower shattered exterior glass panel on stationary door. Pella said I was lucky because this single piece of glass was replaceable (as opposed to the whole panel). Took two weeks to get a email quote. One glass replacement (out of four) $1198.58. The ENTIRE sliding door with installation which required an additional modification cost of $200.00 dollars. Cost was $1,300.00. Now the funny part... Pella quoted me 2 man hours @ $315.00 per hour!!! What the **. Are they smoking??? When I stopped laughing I had a local guy do it for $225.00. Pella’s quote was $1198.58.

Designer series sliding glass door with Rolscreen was installed in 2004. Rolscreen has broken and to replace it will cost $651 plus tax. This is just for the screen, not the frame. The only problem with the one that was installed is the inner spring has broken so it will not retract. They do not sell just the spring so the whole thing needs to be replaced. To have a technician come and look at it will be an additional $105... And they may tell me they can't fix and I would have to order the new one anyway. Costumer service was nice. I just feel that a product should offer cheaper replacements or free service consultations. $651 is a lot all because of a broken spring.

Purchased a new replacement front door from Pella N. Houston. They installed the door and I pointed out that the color did not look right and later found that the alarm sensor in the door frame no longer worked. I contacted the office and described what I found and was told the manager and another person would come to my home to look at the issue. They called to make an appointment but I was out of town during the requested time so they said they would call the next Monday to set the appointment. That was 3 weeks ago. I have called 2 more times to inquire about this and was told someone would call me and was given the person's direct number in case they did not reach me. Nobody called and when I call the number provided I get a recorder and I leave a message asking them to call me. So far nobody has called.

Pella Impervia Fiberglass Window - What a huge and expensive disappointment! I would NOT recommend these windows to anyone. We can now hear everything that's going on outside of our house. Even our neighbors' conversation. Makes you feel kind of exposed. Sadly, we changed every window in our house thinking we were buying the best. We replaced over 20 very old windows. I reached out to Pella and they had their Sales Manager contact us. He even made an effort and came to our home to discuss our concerns.

'Paul' made us feel like Pella actually cared. Unfortunately, after numerous attempts to contact him afterwards, even though he promised to deliver a solution to us, he completely disappeared into thin air. I think he thought that if he avoided us long enough we'd get used to the windows in time and he wouldn't have to do his job and deliver good customer service. These window let in so much noise that on garbage day when trucks are running back and forth, you swear they're right beside you. We will never order Pella products again and make sure our friends/family know not to do so either. We came up with our own solution... we are installing storm windows on top of the Pella Windows. And when our neighbors ask why we're doing this, we will make sure they know. Very disappointed!

Installation was fine... It's the follow-up when things go wrong. I'm two years out, and the front door sagged so that it didn't lock anymore... and some of the trim they installed over a new window was popping way out... so badly a hornet's nest was building behind it. I've called now 10 times... after 5 times they came out and fixed the front door... but forgot to fix the window?? Who knows, because no one will tell me why they didn't fix the window. What do I have to do to get them to come back??

I purchased Pella casement wood with aluminum clad windows for entire house, and every one has failed. Will not close properly, wood at bottom rotted out, horrible product! I called Pella, and paid full price to have several windows replaced, but the same rotting occurred again! I tried to get in the class action lawsuit but it was thrown out due to greedy lawyers. Also, French doors will not close properly. I WOULD GIVE PELLA A SCORE OF 0, if it was allowed. DO NOT BUY PELLA.

Our patio door has aluminum cladding on the exterior and wood framing on the interior and gets a lot of use. A friend of mine and me installed the door ourselves. It has performed marvelously throughout all these years. But the rollers on our Pella Pro-Line patio door that we purchased from Menards 9 years ago and installed ourselves appear to be wearing out. Makes sense. We have two dogs who are constantly going in and out all day long.

I went to the Pella website and determined I needed the serial number from the door to order the correct replacement rollers. The website showed where on the door I could find the number, but it was unfortunately illegible after so many years in the western sun. I then called the toll-free phone number for Pella. Holly took my information and asked me certain identifying questions about the door in the absence of a serial number. I explained how I have been using WD-40 on the rollers that seems to work ok, but after a few days the rollers begin dragging again. She explained they recommend against using WD-40 as it tends to collect dirt and debris in the rollers. They recommend using a paraffin wax product instead.Since the door was under 10 years old, she then ordered a pair of replacement rollers that will be shipped today and arriving within seven business days. No charge for the parts and no charge for the shipping.

Called and got an appointment with this company. Approx 1 hrs before they were to be here they called to see if the appointment was on and I said yes. He then said he has no information on what I wanted so I gave the information to him telling him I just needed one window right because we are remodeling our kitchen. He said "Bob, just one window." He then told me over the phone it would be $1,400.00. They never looked at anything and never came to the house. I then told him I got an estimate from another company yesterday and this was the top of the line window and for the window, install, wood outside covered in aluminum and insulated cream color and lifetime warranty, the total cost was, including tax was $668.00 so I told him "Don't bother to come out." I went with Window World. They showed up on time measured and looks at the outside.

Spent $20,000 2-1/2 yrs ago for new Pella windows. Week ago, went to open one, and I found sash was bowed. Called Pella who said their repair warranty expired in two years. To have their tech diagnose was $120. He determined the product was faulty; the frame of the sash was bowed preventing closure. Pella said they'd pay to replace the sash but not the shipping ($30+) or the tech to install the faulty product - another $120. They did give me the option of driving to Denver to get the new sash, and hiring my own handyman to install the new sash.

My contention is that if the problem was my fault, I wouldn't complain about paying for the dx, new part, or for its installation. But all this was necessitated by THEIR faulty product, which occurred just barely past their 2-year limit, so they should supply a good product, fix the problem, AND install it. Fooey on Pella. I have the windows in the back of my house to replace but I'll use ANYONE BUT Pella, and I certainly won't recommend them to anyone I know. Plus the woman in their Denver office, Jessica, was snotty and kept repeating the same thing as one would to a child.

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

Pella has a 90-year history of designing and building high-quality, energy-efficient windows and doors. The company has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year nine times, most recently in 2016.

• Extreme commitment to sustainability: Pella not only sells energy-efficient products but also constantly tests new products and new technology to make products even more sustainable.
  • Custom shapes available: Pella builds aluminum-clad wood windows, vinyl windows and fiberglass windows Pella will also customize products to meet customers’ needs. The company also makes wood, fiberglass and steel entry doors; French doors; sliding, bifold and multi-panel patio doors; storm doors; and garage doors.
  • Online guides available: Customers can watch videos or read blogs to help them get design ideas and get started purchasing doors and windows.
  • Installation and service help: Customers can schedule a service visit online if they need help with their products.
  • Custom product creation: Users can create a custom door or window using this company's online design tool to choose materials, colors, shapes and sizes.
  • Best for Pella is best for people who are environmentally conscious and want to purchase high-quality windows and doors.

Compare Windows & Doors