2. Homeowners
  3. Windows and Doors

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.32/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Pella Reviews

Original review: March 4, 2020

I contacted Pella Windows and made an appointment with Brett. He arrived on time and informed me of the different windows Pella offers. I got the designer series (triple pain with the blinds in between the glass). The installers were very courteous and professional. They did a great job. I want to thank Brett for his great customer service and the team leader, Ricky, for a great installation experience. I definitely would recommend Pella to anyone looking to replace their windows.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

We recently replaced 7 vinyl windows in our home and had a great experience with Pella. They went out of their way to be courteous and got their work done swiftly, leaving no mess to clean up! They had a guy come in to make sure we were happy with everything and understood the workings/cleaning of the windows. Now we're loving the windows and glad to have a good warranty. Highly recommend this company.

Get buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2019

John ** was amazing. He took the time to go over our details and was very organized and personable with our needs. He went into detail about the process. We really enjoyed our experience with John and would recommend calling him if you need purchase a window.

Original review: June 21, 2020

Please DO NOT hire Pella for your windows. I don't know where to begin. But I will start by saying that Pella is one of the most deceptive companies I have ever dealt with in my lifetime and employ the most dishonest employees I have ever come across. Beginning with the salesperson (Dave **) to the General Manager (Jamie **) to the horrible installation crew (which by the way, are subcontractors - but Pella will put on pretenses that the installation crew are actual Pella employees).

And then realizing that my new windows have no serial numbers - save for a few windows that have a clear label - which customer service confirmed they have not printed these types of labels on their windows since 1995 (and also which means I can never make a claim if something goes wrong with my windows), and then having to deal with the corporate office, who claims they have nothing to do with the local Dallas office. Not to mention that my windows are supposed to be Energy Star rated - they are not. I am dreading the 100+ heat here in Dallas - already my windows upstairs are heating up, and the heat in my bedroom is worse now than with the old windows that were built with the house in 1999.

Since voicing my complaints last February, Pella has removed certain Google searches that show poor reviews from customers, as well as links to their long history of lawsuits. If you go to Google and type in "consumer affairs Pella Windows" it will take you to the ConsumerAffairs website and show all of the very, very bad reviews from customers.

Not only did Pella sell me windows that I did not receive, they also misrepresented themselves regarding the city permits. Be aware - Pella may charge you 10+ times the amount of the required city permit charge, which they did to me. And then they will claim that they have a "permit department." They don't. If you look on the paperwork, the salesperson is the one who submits the application for the permit. Most people don't go to the trouble to find out how much a permit is for window installation in their city, but I did, and my jaw dropped when I realized how much Pella charged me, and then realized that Pella has gotten away with robbing people this way for YEARS!! When I brought this to Pella's attention - including the Dallas President Matt ** - they said they would "reimburse me" only if I allowed them to come to my home and place new inspection labels on my windows. HAHAHA! WTF? This company is a complete joke.

Once Pella knew of my complaints, they had their attorney send me a stupid letter in an attempt to harass and intimidate me. These kinds of threats do not work with me. Pella was very negligent in selling and installing my windows, and seems to have a history of doing so with many, many, customers, due to all of the negative reviews and the class action lawsuits. Pella also violated the Deceptive Trade Practices Act, which carries serious penalties. In addition, the windows I received are not "Energy Star" rated, which they claimed to be when I was sold the windows. I want my money back, Pella, and I will get it back, times a few and punitive damages, since it now appears that I will have to sue you.

Original review: June 19, 2020

6 Pella storm doors were installed as part of an extensive remodeling project at our home. After about 5 years one door demonstrated rot due to condensation and moisture due to poor Pella design. The doors are not sealed to prevent moisture from getting behind the doors' metal casing. Therefore moisture accumulates in the door and causes rot. Eventually the 5 other storm doors demonstrate the same problem requiring us to replace all 6 doors. The poor exterior design is responsible for this problem and would not recommend using Pella products. From the reviews listed, this is not the first time this problem was described. Obviously Pella does not treat their customers as they would want treated if the roles were reversed. I strongly recommend staying away from the poor craftsmanship of their products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: May 26, 2020

I need to let the rest of the world know who not to contact for replacement windows. It is disgusting that such a large national brand window company would have such incompetent personnel in field operations. A brief recap for you since I am confident that no one with Pella has actually looked at my situation in detail. My project included 14 individual windows and as a result of an incompetent salesperson a/o person making the "exact" measurements, the installation team could only completely and successfully install 6 of the 14 windows. What does this say about Pella??

The front of my home has a Pella scab which includes a foil back material filling a transom window slot because an incompetent processor somewhere along the way in the Pella food chain failed to get the quantity of windows correct. Additionally, the "final measurement" was WRONG for three windows and one window was broken in shipment. I contacted my salesperson who offered zero assistance. The person coordinating the installation obviously saw no need to prioritize windows to replace the incompetence that put me in this situation noting the ETA for correcting Pella's comedy of errors would be four weeks. This company is a disgusting joke!

Original review: May 21, 2020

Updated on 05/29/2020: I am writing to upgrade my review of Pella Windows and Doors. Since my last review, I called Pella corporate and was able to receive a new door lock and keys for which I am thankful. Although I could not get a replacement screen, I do feel that customer service was helpful. I am upgrading my review to 2 stars and would have given a higher rating based on the helpful customer service, however, I feel that the screens are not well designed and should fit better.

Original Review: I built a large addition to my home in 2005 and used Pella ProLine series wood windows from Pella Mid-Atlantic. The screens are hard to open and close. They are poorly made and have not held up. It is impossible to get any help from Pella customer service and of course nothing is in warranty. I noticed after the windows and doors were installed and the contractor was long gone that the windows and doors had the incorrect color hardware. Too late to fix that problem. I never received keys for the back door. Since I don't use it for entry I didn't focus on the problem. It's too late to get anything fixed but every time I think about all of the things that Pella got wrong it still makes me angry. Building an addition was stressful and confusing and this made it difficult for me to notice all of the things that went wrong until long after the project was completed. I expected better from Pella. I would never recommend Pella.

Original review: May 16, 2020

We have a brand new home. Been in 1.5 years. Over 75k worth of Pella windows and almost all have mold and moisture. HVAC has been inspected. All mold remediation specialist said it’s the windows. Poor quality.

Original review: April 18, 2020

Good product, frustrating customer service experience. Can’t express enough my frustration of how our order was handled. We replaced 3 entry doors last summer. However 1 of the back door measurements were done incorrectly. We dealt with Brett. After long delivery time we received and installed wrong sized door but it was custom size so we couldn’t get standard storm door for it, had to custom order from their website that was quite pricey. When called and talked to an agent we were given an option to get free storm door that we agreed to. Couple months after we called and checked on our complimentary storm door and Brend forgot to place an order. After I emailed to their manages, Carroll handled things in a better professional manner and they ordered our storm door with the included installation. After a while door was received but it was winter so no one came in to install the door.

This April I asked if we can finally get the storm door installed as discussed last year and yes, the installer showed up. However he had some other priority jobs to finish and asked if he can come back! Sure, I understand that there is more urgent jobs than our storm door that we were waiting for almost a year. There must be installations that was due 2 years ago!!!! Be aware of how time consuming this can be for you and stay away!! I’d like to finish my review by saying that the storm door we received was wrong sized again and god knows when we will have it now. Just an advise for local JACKSON office to hire a professional with good knowledge of measurements and data! So I'm giving 1 star for a product and 0 for everything else.

Original review: April 16, 2020

We installed Pella Proline wood windows when we built our home 16 years ago. Within 6 years we had to have a sash replaced due to rot. Two years later a picture window began leaking around the glass. I contacted the Pella distributor and it took two months to get someone out to service the window and then all he did was caulk it (caulking a window voids the warranty). Recently I found another sash that was rotted out. Since the windows are no longer under warranty the cost for a replacement sash is $788.12 if I install it. The original window cost $351.22. Since receiving that quote I found 2 more windows with rotting sashes. None of these windows is in a wet or even damp area so rot should never be a problem. The only thing I can assume is water is leaking between the exterior cladding and the wood. When I sent my concerns to Pella I got no response. My suggestion is to steer clear of Pella.

Pella author review by Joseph Truini

Pella has a 90-year history of designing and building high-quality, energy-efficient windows and doors. The company has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year nine times, most recently in 2016.

• Extreme commitment to sustainability: Pella not only sells energy-efficient products but also constantly tests new products and new technology to make products even more sustainable.

• Custom shapes available: Pella builds aluminum-clad wood windows, vinyl windows and fiberglass windows Pella will also customize products to meet customers’ needs. The company also makes wood, fiberglass and steel entry doors; French doors; sliding, bifold and multi-panel patio doors; storm doors; and garage doors.

• Online guides available: Customers can watch videos or read blogs to help them get design ideas and get started purchasing doors and windows.

• Installation and service help: Customers can schedule a service visit online if they need help with their products.

• Custom product creation: Users can create a custom door or window using this company's online design tool to choose materials, colors, shapes and sizes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Pella Company Information