2. Homeowners
  3. Windows and Doors

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.36/5

Need help with windows or doors?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Unsubscribe at any time.

Need help with windows or doors?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Pella Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

Our experience with Pella has been very good. Our old doors were removed and replaced with Pella Sliding Doors that have the blinds in between the windows. Installation went very smoothly, and the guys made sure that everything was fitting squarely and tight. They cleaned up after they were done and were very pleasant. This is the third time we have dealt with Pella, and would do so again in the future.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I contacted Pella Windows and made an appointment with Brett. He arrived on time and informed me of the different windows Pella offers. I got the designer series (triple pain with the blinds in between the glass). The installers were very courteous and professional. They did a great job. I want to thank Brett for his great customer service and the team leader, Ricky, for a great installation experience. I definitely would recommend Pella to anyone looking to replace their windows.

Get buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

We recently replaced 7 vinyl windows in our home and had a great experience with Pella. They went out of their way to be courteous and got their work done swiftly, leaving no mess to clean up! They had a guy come in to make sure we were happy with everything and understood the workings/cleaning of the windows. Now we're loving the windows and glad to have a good warranty. Highly recommend this company.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Last summer, 2019, I hired a Pella repairman to see about replacing a Pella window that wouldn't close. He recommended that I replace just the sash, at a much more reasonable price. I was delighted, and agreed. It turns out he hadn't included the costs of the other parts there were necessary. After the work was done, he remarked that the parts had not been varnished, and that I needed to do that. Then I was charged an additional $175 for an hour of labor. About one month later, the window still wasn't closing properly. They did send someone out to fix it. Now, 13 months later, it is again not closing. Pella said it is not under warranty any longer, and will send someone out to fix it, for $177, the hourly rate. My old Pella windows will certainly be replaced with windows that are NOT Pella.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

Purchased $20,000 worth of Products that turned into a nightmare. As an quality engineer myself I totally saddened by this company's poor quality and management response. I am specifically referring to the GM of Brookfield WI whom would not bother to even return my emails or calls, shame on you. Customers don't expect resolution when things go wrong here because they don't care.

Off the bat the project manager aka idiot broke the panel door, lied about it and it took 6 more weeks to resolve. Then it gets better, the product contained defective glass and 3 panels had to be replaced. After installation I noticed daylight in the corner, yes daylight, took 3 tech visits and eventually the replacement door had to be replaced again...you can't make this up folks...and management could not care less. No corporate Mr Yaggi for you. The cost of poor quality in my case probably resulted in a loss. Let me break it down son. 2 replacement doors, 3 replacement glass panes, 5 service visits,..numerous back and forth with staff, etc...Kodak in the making!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

Updated on 09/17/2020: Today is Sep 16 and the promised due date was Sep 18. I patiently waited for 3 months and called them every other day to check if the eta will be changed again or not. Last checked two days ago and it sounded like they will keep the promise this time for sure, so I scheduled the installation on Sep 19th. Today I called again to make sure and they said it will be delayed another 3 weeks. This is 3rd time and they are saying it's all because of the virus.

Well, it's not the virus, my biggest problem is they don't tell you the fact until the last minute. Kindly asking me I can cancel the order after I wasted 3 months, and proudly telling me that they are not taking any more orders at this point. I know this new eta doesn't mean anything but I will give it a try one more time before I file a lawsuit. I've wasted so much time, money and energy for this nonsense people. I have no idea how they can keep their business with this kind of mindset. My last review will be Oct 9th and let's see what happens.

Original Review: We ordered our Pella Entry door through Lowe's on June 18 of 2020. $3,300 taken out of my bank right away. The original estimated delivery date was July 31, 2020. On July 30th, Lowe's informed me it will be delayed to August 14. This screwed my construction schedules big time but I had to understand because whole world is suffering now. Today is August 15 and I got informed new estimated date will be Sep 18. I called Pella and they said they have no idea what the status. They told me they are understaffed, it's all because of pandemic and I'm not the only one. I've already wasted two months and not sure if it will be done by another month. I don't understand why they took this order if they can't handle it. At least as soon as they found it will be delayed, they need to communicate with customer. But they don't care about other people's schedules and life. Pella is a bigger disaster than pandemic for me.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

In 2012, we purchased and installed two (2) patio sliding doors by Pella. Years later, we noticed water damage in our basement. We called our Home Insurance Company who sent out a water mitigation team. When assessing the water damage and trying to figure out where and how the leak was coming from, they realised the leak could be coming from our kitchen Pella sliding patio door, which is directly above the water damaged area and noticed our kitchen flooring showed signs of warping.

Then, we called Pella who had a service team come out. The service team immediately identified the installers caulked over the bottom two (2) weeping holes. The service team member explained there are four (4) weeping holes on the model Pella patio sliding doors we purchased and that this is not the first time he had to fix this issue due to improper installation. Before the service team member left, I was told this issue was going to be reported to Thomas "TJ" ** (Service Manager), and to wait a few days before calling to speak to TJ. The service team member believed this should be an issue Pella would/should be liable for, as a consumer how am I to know if they caulked weeping holes, as a consumer is not a Pella product expert. Home Insurance does not cover water damage due to improper installation, so we had to turn/rely on the Pella "lifetime" warranty.

A couple days later, it rained, and even though the service team removed the caulk and opened the two (2) bottom weeping holes, water was still leaking into our basement. In addition water started to leak under the sliding patio door and into our kitchen. Needless to say, we called and spoke to TJ. After our conversation, I sent him a detailed email with images of the water damage (basement and kitchen) and asked for the consideration of the patio door to be re-installed.

TJ and I had another conversation and informed me another service manager will come out to our house and assess the situation further. This service manager not only confirmed the patio door was improperly installed, due to lack of required layers of sealant after investigation, along with the weeping holes being caulked -- but also told us back around the time we purchased our Pella product, he was made aware of their installation teams farming out work to unauthorized contractors (friends), so they can make more money due to the total amount of installations completed in a day or week. This service manager looked up our purchase history and confirmed the installation team booked to our project was known for this such act and informed us this will be in his report back to leadership.

We are now at the point, were TJ has finally answered my calls after 3 weeks to tell me they will are not liable for any of the damage, I should call my Home Insurance Company and if I have any further issues/complaints with Pella to speak with his boss Bryan **. I've called Bryan over the past 2 weeks and have yet to hear back. The "Pella Promise" is a total joke and they have not supported the "lifetime warranty" claim. Pella is a company I would recommend staying away from. I will also be sharing my poor overall experience across all social media platforms.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Regarding my 6/30/20 install: My Pella experience started off very good. Salesman and the ordering experience was great. Things started falling apart when the New Construction windows I ordered showed up as retro-fit windows that I DID NOT WANT. I spent around 18 hours of my time removing the siding as I committed to do while being very ill with C-diff. Then the windows show up as retro-fit meaning I wasted a huge amount of my time while being in physical distress. I was upset and called my salesman immediately, stating I would let them install the incorrect windows as it did no good to reject them and Pella having custom product laying around the warehouse and the crew losing out on an install slot but in exchange I expected compensation for that and all my wasted time removing/reinstalling the siding while horribly ill. He said he would check in to it and get back to me. This started a series of promised return calls that never happened.

The install crew was great with the exception of them having someone with no experience in applying the weatherproof tape do the job, he did not roll the tape on to the window properly leaving 85% of the job having gap & crack opening where the water would just run in to the wall cavity. I had to go to Lowes and buy 2 rolls of window/door sealing tape and go over the incompetent job to seal out the weather/rain. Then while reinstalling the siding on the back window I found it had been made short of the correct measurement requiring me to cut the J-channel down to fit and also a 2” gap between the window and the siding. The 2 front windows were fine.

After multiple calls/texts with Salesman and promises of it “being looked in to” the last contact from him was that “Mr. X will call you tomorrow” which has not happened after 6 days. I held off on making any bad reviews as I expected (wrongly) the company to make this right so I finally told Salesman that I had a deadline of 8/7/20 (6 weeks of no action) that I would be forced to post bad reviews.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

I have been trying since end of June to reach someone at Pella to have them review the warranty on the windows in my house. I've gotten several emails back saying we have reported it to customer service and waiting on a response and then nothing. I have been messaging them weekly for a response and I get the same lady responding and that she is looking into it and the delay and yet nothing. I have asked to speak with a manager and it goes nowhere. I have now filed a complaint with the BBB.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

We purchased hinged french doors and they were quite expensive. They have leaked for years and we just realized the bottom of door is completely rotted. I called and due to age they won't cover a thing for replacement. We won't purchase another Pella product because we have issues with our windows and builder told us Pella doesn't stand behind products.

Pella author review by Joseph Truini

Pella has a 90-year history of designing and building high-quality, energy-efficient windows and doors. The company has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year nine times, most recently in 2016.

• Extreme commitment to sustainability: Pella not only sells energy-efficient products but also constantly tests new products and new technology to make products even more sustainable.

• Custom shapes available: Pella builds aluminum-clad wood windows, vinyl windows and fiberglass windows Pella will also customize products to meet customers’ needs. The company also makes wood, fiberglass and steel entry doors; French doors; sliding, bifold and multi-panel patio doors; storm doors; and garage doors.

• Online guides available: Customers can watch videos or read blogs to help them get design ideas and get started purchasing doors and windows.

• Installation and service help: Customers can schedule a service visit online if they need help with their products.

• Custom product creation: Users can create a custom door or window using this company's online design tool to choose materials, colors, shapes and sizes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Pella Company Information