Need a window & door company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.62/5

644 Pella Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 1, 2019

15 years ago we built our vacation home using Pella windows and doors. Recently we decided to replace our walkout windows and doors. Mathew ** our retail sales consultant immediately came out and did a great job introducing the new products available and helping us select the replacements. As professional and helpful Mathew was the Pella installers sent to us were fantastic. They were on time and courteous and excellent craftsman. I would recommend Pella and their team of installers without question. Congratulations to Pella retail division for delivering on their promise to be the BEST! Larry **.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I wanted to write about my experience with Pella due to them being so responsive be to my concerns. I live in a historic building in Boston and Pella Windows was one of the only companies that we could use that could accommodate our regulations. The windows have not been able perfect, sometimes there are drafts, the sash has broken twice on one window and once on another. However, recently I had an issue again with one of my windows and the service representative, Becky **, was extremely responsive, professional, and, was able to get a repairman out to my house within 24 hours of my complaint.

I had one negative experience with customer service, but, overall, it has not just been good, it has been excellent! I like to think that if I lived in a house that could have allowed me to consider more than one type of window, I may have had the opportunity to be more pleased with the product, too. I would give the customer service 5/5 stars and the Pella windows 3.5/5 stars.

Get expert buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2019

We contacted Pella in desperate need of a large kitchen window. They were very prompt, set up a time to have someone come out the following week. About an hour before the meeting, the sales rep, Nick ** from Omaha NE called to confirm we were still on. He arrived promptly at the scheduled time and was delightful. He was very helpful, professional, knew his product and was not pushy in the least. He heard our request, provided us with several options and support us in our decisions even when we changed our minds a couple times. We are not anxiously waiting for them to bring out our new window in a few weeks. Thanks Nick for all your help! Jim and Sue Omaha NE

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

We purchased a new entry door and sliders 2 years ago. Last year we started having issues with our entry way door not closing properly. We thought that is was the threshold that was swelling. The manager, Brian, came out a few times to replace the sweep and threshold. When this continued to occur he ordered a replacement door. And although our warranty had expired by the time they were able to come back out all was taken care of at no additional charge. Very courteous and professional managers, Brian and Dan.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

In 2016 I replaced all my windows (24) with the architect series. We are extremely happy. The product is as advertised, keeps the house warmer, quieter and reduces sun glare. These were not cheap but were well worth the price. This series is wood. We did not use Pella for the install but Lowe's which carries the product. They were not familiar with the installation but eventually got it correct. We had a couple of minor problems, lock, screen but I called Pella Corp headquarters and they resolve all my concerns with no problem. Two years now and the windows are great.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I purchased Pella Designer Series casement windows when we built our house so these were installed new construction. About 4 years after installation I complained that certain windows were fogging up. I had noticed it very early on but overlooked it due to weather conditions. When the local service rep arrived at my house I was told that these windows required to be refinished again due to the fact that the sashes had dried out and the urethane had broken down, I asked how and why this had happened and I was told that this window has had this issue from the onset. This spring I had a french door get 3 holes in the aluminum for no reason at all. I had to fight and argue with them to get it replaced. They did replace it but it was my responsibility to pay the install fee as well as my responsibility to get the interior side refinished. which I have done at a cost of about $500.

I received a survey from Pella after the door install and I responded honestly. I would NOT recommend Pella to ANYONE. That got their attention. They had a service rep visit my home to look at my windows again today only to be told that this is again just "what happens to these windows". So here I am stuck with foggy expensive windows that no one will take responsibility for. Pella has designed a window that requires that the homeowner have them refinished from inside out at least every year. Where is the sense in that??? I will NEVER purchase another Pella product.

I feel that I was not properly advised of the maintenance that these windows required. Who wants to take apart their windows and sand, stain and urethane the sash every year? When I requested that the rep escalate this issue to her superiors she said they do not warranty these windows against condensation between the panes. Nor do they tell you that the condensation will exist! Beware that the sales people are not telling you the real maintenance requirements of being a Pella owner.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

Had all 36 wood windows replaced. Installer was great. Like the windows but have issues with some of them. 1.) One was broken on arrival and still waiting for replacement 2.) Some are hard to open. 3.) Not all handles have been installed. 4.) One had dents in it. 5.) A few hand nicks in them. Reseller assured me all these issue would be taken care of but still I'm waiting for that to occur. Its been over a month. My impression with Pella is they aim to please when the money is yet to be had. Once they are paid, they don't seem to be in any hurry to correct issues.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I had French Doors installed and in less than a year the threshold started to lift. The installer used press board under the threshold and it soaked up the water like a sponge lifting the threshold about 1”. Worse yet has been the frustration I’ve experienced by the Pella Customer service to fix the problem. They sent a technician to evaluate the problem but now months later have yet to schedule the repair in spite of repeated promises.

I’m concerned about water damage into my basement - and likely the damage will be much worse due to the excessive delay in having this repaired. They claim that the service tech who did the job is busy until September and they don’t think I should wait till then. I agree - in fact I don’t even want the same tech in to do the repair - he should have been fired. But in spite of a dedicated customer service rep assigned to my file they seem unable or unwilling to be able to get this resolved. Most frustrating is to be told at least four time now - "We will get back to you by end of day tomorrow." Tomorrow never seems to come with Pella!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I have photos of my experience. The windows are expensive, and despite the fact they had two independent people measure I had a window that was an incorrect fit. I still am missing a giant front window. Also the packaging on the window - it is staples on the window - STAPLED! Each window on what appears to be plastic casing has big staple marks - it looks awful. So expensive - never again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

We special ordered an exterior door from Lowe's and was recommended not to use Pella from the store. We chose to go with Pella and when the custom door arrived, though it was beautiful, had the wrong exterior trim. It came with casework instead of brick molding. So, no storm door could be installed. We never got an answer or explanation why from Pella. The sales rep in our area never cared to investigate either. Lucky for us, Lowe's stood behind us and graciously special ordered a Therma-Tru door, which has a higher energy rating and nicer door I must say. After 3 months ordered and 30 days from install, we feel we will get what we ordered and hope you never have to deal with Pella customer service if you have issues.

Pella expert review by Joseph Truini

Pella has a 90-year history of designing and building high-quality, energy-efficient windows and doors. The company has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year nine times, most recently in 2016.

• Extreme commitment to sustainability: Pella not only sells energy-efficient products but also constantly tests new products and new technology to make products even more sustainable.

• Custom shapes available: Pella builds aluminum-clad wood windows, vinyl windows and fiberglass windows Pella will also customize products to meet customers’ needs. The company also makes wood, fiberglass and steel entry doors; French doors; sliding, bifold and multi-panel patio doors; storm doors; and garage doors.

• Online guides available: Customers can watch videos or read blogs to help them get design ideas and get started purchasing doors and windows.

• Installation and service help: Customers can schedule a service visit online if they need help with their products.

• Custom product creation: Users can create a custom door or window using this company's online design tool to choose materials, colors, shapes and sizes.

• Best for: Pella is best for people who are environmentally conscious and want to purchase high-quality windows and doors.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Pella Company Information