1.13/5

575 Pella Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Had Pella Designer Series windows installed in my home in 2006. Since day one, I have had one window with a faulty mechanism to raise and lower the between glass blinds. It has never worked. In the beginning it was under warranty and replaced. Now I must pay and the problem still is not fixed. It's never been fixed. Because so many of their stores are going our odds business, it's very hard to find a local showroom or repair center. It takes forever to get someone to come out to fixed the problem. I'm very disappointed in this company and their service. I can see why they have a one star rating. I don't recommend using Pella... ever.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We had Pella Windows to come out and install two big picture windows and put in a new door w/ doggie door. They did and AWESOME job!!! Now, we built this house in 2016 so the custom huge screens and the storm door were still new. The installer lied and said the screens were cemented, which they were not, so lie #1, they were screwed in because my husband put screws in the screens to keep them from blowing out. You don't cement in screens anybody would know that. The screen door was removed and replaced with their new door. Well, we get home and we started looking around for our screens and storm door, NOTHING! We made a call to the installer, he indicated my screens and storm door were in the back of his truck, at this point we said NO! We want our screens and door, his response he would bring them back.

The next day he finished the new with locks. We noticed, the storm door back with all the screws but no screens. A call was made, to the sales consultant and he indicated it was debris and thought we did not want it anymore, we said DEBRIS!! Those screens were new. We indicated you all should have called the homeowners to see if we wanted our screens and not tear them up as well as take our storm door without our consent. The installer told a bald face lie, when we ask the first time. So, I said we are not going to go LOW with this issue, just go HIGH and pay them their $1617.22 balance and not use them ever again. They really should have reimbursed us back for our screens that they tore up and lied about. It would have been the right thing to do. Just remember GOD SEES ALL.

Get expert buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

When I first met the sales rep from Pella, she was very pleasant and took the time to explain product choices (at least that's what I thought). Total price for the door was $4400. A few weeks prior to installation the sales manager contacted me to ask for more money since they had 'mismeasured' the door. I refused to pay any additional money as this was not listed in the contract. On 8/14/18, the company installed a door with the sidelight on the wrong side, the door had nail dents and the window scratched. The frame was multi-colored: white, dark and light wood pieces.

Calls and texts to the reps at Pella was met with resistance and rude behavior. No one apologized and everyone argued that this was in fact the product ordered. No one could refer me to anything in writing with this. An appointment was finally made for someone to come to my home to assess the door on 10/2. No one showed and no one called. The following day, I received a text that they forgot and that he was busy as a single dad (not really my problem). The frustration with this company has been the most I've ever experienced.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I replaced a sliding patio door. The measurements by Pella were wrong. The stationary piece was too small. The screen door was bent and defective. The rollers were broken, leaving the sliding door unusable. In all, the experience was horrible. Pick another company! My previous experience with Marvin was great. I recommend Marvin! Skip Pella. Product is junk!!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

April 2018 I had all my windows change as I was promise by Pella Windows the windows are very quiet windows. Heat stay in the winter... Home stay cool in the summer. BAD CHOICE. WINDOWS ARE VERY VERY NOISY. When contacted PELLA WINDOWS reply was, "Nothing we can do." What kind of business do something like that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

We paid $5,722.39 for Pella 12', 3 panel slide glass door with retractable screen, PLUS $1,430.00 for Pella's recommended installer to remove the old Pella slide glass door and install the new one. The old Pella slide door was leaking and ruined the carpet in the bedroom. Well, the new Pella slide door also leaks when there's a heavy rain. The retractable screen has never retracted properly and has fell off from the glue that taped it to the door frame.

Every time we called Pella, they would send out a Pella serviceman from Hayward, 90 miles from where we live, and charged us $190 for a service call. There's always a long wait time before someone can come out. So there it is, this expensive Pella slide door gave us wet carpet in the winter and bugs in the summer (no screen). This problem has been going on since 2012 and we elderly couples are still suffering from this Pella purchase, maybe a heart attack would satisfy Pella? The Pella agent that sold us the door was Jennifer **. What can we do? Help!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I purchased a Pella 750 series sliding patio door from Lowe’s (Michigan) and was unaware the screen was separated from the frame until it had been installed and the installers had left. I called Pella to report this defect and was told I needed to contact Lowe’s because they (Pella) were not responsible for that type of repair. I contacted Lowe’s and was told they were not responsible for repairing the screen. So... I’m stuck with a torn screen on a new door and Lowe’s nor Pella wants to repair it. PAY ATTENTION TO ALL THE 1 STAR REVIEWS!!! CHECK ALL YOUR MERCHANDISE BEFORE IT’S INSTALLED.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I live in Maine and purchased two eight foot Pella sliders through Hammond Lumber. One of the sliders came in damaged on the inside bottom panel with a significant dent in the finished wood. Pella was going to replace the entire unit, now they want to just send one panel to replace the damaged one. They sent the wrong hardware for the doors and now want to up-charge me $500 more for the correct hardware and won't credit the hardware they sent. This was the Pella store in S. Maine. So only one door is installed so far... two months later still waiting for a repair. RUN everyone... these people at the S. Maine store are deceitful and don't want to take care of their own product when it arrives defective.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I purchased 15 windows, 2 french doors, a double front door (with screens/blinds) 16 years ago. When I called to tell them about blind strings broken, handles not working, windows not opening/closing and roll screens not working, I was told to inventory all parts needed, then order them and someone would come and install. But if you ordered wrong, you will have to keep them. I now have the sash falling off outside and noticed the wood is all rotten. I called service, no longer under warranty (OF COURSE). Waiting for service to call me back to get a service person out to the house to see how many windows are actually damaged. WILL NOT PURCHASE REPLACEMENT WINDOWS FROM PELLA!!! EVER!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I installed these windows in 1990. I need a new crank out, but $161 plus tax is a ridiculous price. Overall I think it is cheaper replace the window. I tried to order just the handle only and it was a ridiculous price ($40).

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The screen door is on the INSIDE of the door leaving the following problems: A very sloppy look with the screen on the inside. The door looks better from the outside than from the inside. There's no way to close the glass door without opening the screen. Any bugs on the screen come inside when you close the glass door. They all remain on the screen, which is now inside. If animals, ie. racoons, stray dogs etc. come to your door, you can't close the glass door without again opening the screen door, which is very dangerous. You only have the screen for protection and a barrier. All in all, a very bad design. Not to mention that we weren't told that the screen would be on the inside.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

What a nice PELLA Thermastar White Sliding Double Paned Vinyl 36.5" x 36.5" Window for my kitchen... for only $131.00 at Lowe's! (in Tucson). Too bad that the weed-whacker whacked an outside pane. That is one pane of glass, folks. No one will work on Pella windows in Tucson, you must call Pella. Pella folks were very nice on phone. Sent me a quote. THE ONE PANE OF GLASS COST $147.00, LABOR IS $160.00. If we wanted to put the pane in ourselves, to save labor... DELIVERY IS $150.00. So, I could actually buy (almost) TWO NEW WINDOWS for the cost of replacing ONE PANE OF GLASS. I will NEVER EVER PURCHASE OR RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY AGAIN.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

My windows are less than 11 months old and a bird flew into it and shattered it. I was told by 3 different service reps telling me I was under a warranty and today I followed up and was told my window is not covered for a bird flying into it and cracking. Are the windows that thin and crappy that a bird can break? Service department lady and I got into a heated argument and she told me I was a liar that I was not told it was covered and I have emails saying it is. SHE WAS AWFUL AND RUDE. I will do my best to social media my ordeal and bad service.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I bought windows and a door from Pella direct. I thought going direct to the manufacturer would get me the best possible price. Turns out I can purchase the exact same Pella product half price through Lowe's. I am not all that impressed with my product and the customer service and follow up in the Phoenix location leave a lot to be desired.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Do yourself a favor and if you're thinking of doing business with this company, which is actually KC Company, RUN!!! Do not do business with Pella/KC Company if you want to keep your sanity (When we complained to Pella, they said they were not liable for the job that we have to deal with KC Company. Funny, because we had no idea. We called Pella and asked for an estimate, and they sent us KC Company who represented themselves as Pella). Anyway, very unsatisfied with this company's service, as they are totally incompetent in being able to complete the job.

We paid top price thinking we would be getting a top-notch company to do the job - WRONG! They agree that there needs to be a price reduction because of the terrible service that they have given us - 8 months out and still not finished the job - totally ridiculous - but we can't seem to agree on the amount that is due to us. They really don't want to hurt their pocketbook, just their customer's purse. Can't measure if their life depended upon it. They've come out 5 times just to try to fit 2 screens, and each time they've come, the screens did not fit, and plus they were damaged in transport.

You'd think after the first time, that they would make sure that the screens would be good to go before they get here, but nope, 5 times and still can't get a stupid screen to fit. This is the least of it. The first time they installed two different windows. And when they came out to look at what the problem was, they never told us that they were two different windows (all I knew is the framing looked off). They send their guy back out to reframe the window, and I'm getting upset because it's still not right, and that's when we figure out it's two different windows that they installed - should have all been the same! This company is the absolute worst!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Several years ago I spent over $13,000 for a bay window and sliding doors, both designer series. The installation and quality of these was over the top. Unfortunately, their customer service is the absolute worst I have ever experienced. It is almost non-existent. Recently I tried to get in touch with the local office to replace one of the blinds which had broken in the bay window. They never answer their phone and do not return messages. In the meantime, I tried to open the hinged glass panel to fix the blinds myself, when it would not open. I popped it with a screwdriver to open it. But the next time, it would not open no matter what I did.

I called their 800 number and they were able to get someone from the local office to call me. I received a message and an email from Laura. But all attempts to get back to her failed. No answer, no returned messages and no answer to my returned email. I have called the 800 number too many times to count. When they did get me through to the local office, I spoke to a Randall. His attitude left way too much to be desired. Apparently I must have been upsetting him because I was not happy with the service I was receiving and when I told him, "I don't give a ** how he feels", he told me he was going to hang up on me. I ended that call and will not speak to him again.

I am currently in the midst of too many phone calls to the 800 number. I must say, the people at this number are very friendly and help as much as they can. They sent me a tool to open the windows, which did work, but I still need to replace the blinds (my attempts to fix didn't work out so good). The 800 number has sent messages to the local office twice to call me, and I have yet to receive a call from them.

By the way, they charge $120 for service. A window that costs thousands should have a lifetime warranty on things that should just work (like opening the panel). I want to replace five windows in my kitchen. I wouldn't replace them with Pella windows if they gave them to me and installed for free. It is NOT WORTH IT! Disgusted isn't a strong enough word for how I feel about this experience. Apparently they don't know the phrase "Customer Service is everything."

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Pella Windows (Denver) - Product: generally good, with a few reservations about the sliding door we bought (a little cheesy). Installation: incompetent beyond belief. A comedy of errors throughout. Parts were missing, measurements wrong, different crews showed up with or without a supervisor, and the salesman was clearly incompetent. Pieces of my (very expensive) windows are still missing, and have been many times promised -- I'm sure I'll never get them. This company has the reputation of one of the best...and yet most reviews are like mine: installation and service a disaster. How do they stay in business? Renewal by Andersen has got to be better (they could hardly be worse!).

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

All window latches are coming loose and not closing. This is the second time in the 8 months I’ve had them. Driving rain here in NY, rain pouring in from one window due to poor quality/alignment. All vinyl purchased from Lowe's Danbury Ct. Junk, I purchased 9 double sliding windows.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I wish I'd found this website before I bought my Pella triple sliding patio door 3 years ago from Lowe's. I want to say that my experience has been horrible to say the least; service from Pella is terrible and from Lowe's, nonexistent. Six months from purchase before delivery was completed, door was sent to Maui, Hawaii, without the center panel and had to be reordered. Since then the internal blinds have been replaced twice (would not work properly) and now the sliding screen is jammed and won't retract. I only live in Maui half the year, so it's not overuse. Pella only services Maui from Honolulu ONCE A MONTH and it is a long wait for service. Need I say more? All this grief cost me $6000! Unbelievable.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I bought a bunch of windows and sliding patio doors from Pella Windows and Doors of Hicksville. I have been waiting for months for corrections to my orders. I also had other issues with the orders which they corrected, but still waiting on corrections for the screens in the correct color and materials. Unreturned phone calls and broken promises over and over. They are truly bad.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Choosing Pella windows was the worst decision of my life. They are almost 2 months behind on shipping my windows for my new home. They have shipped windows to my house 3 separate times in small quantities which does absolutely nothing for me since the framer will not make a special trip to install 4 windows at a time. This has delayed my build 40 days. My build is at a standstill as they cannot insulate without windows installed. They offer no explanation. My builder has called and complained several times to request some kind of compensation for this delay from their original promised delivery date. My builder says he will never order Pella again. Shame on you Pella.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Ours windows are awful. We have moisture in one. Have a hard time locking them the top sash slides down. The safety locks are incredibly hard to use. And lastly we have a crane out window the slides off the track.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I had these windows installed in May 2017 to conserve energy as well as lessen outside noises. I was not impressed with the way they muted the sound. After having these windows 10 months, one had cracked. I called the business that sold them to us and they said two weeks and it should be installed. Two weeks went by and Pella had no record of the order. Ordered again. Still no window 3 weeks later. Ordered yet again in April and was told it would be installed the end of May. End of May and a person arrives to investigate the problem. Window ordered still again and was told it would be installed within a month. The end of June receive a call the window is in but glass is broken. I just received a call from Pella. Glass broke still again and they hope to have it installed the end of July... hmmmm what will be wrong with the install on July 31st. Imagine that 4 months to replace a glass window. I would recommend Window World over Pella any day!

Original review: July 6, 2018

Since Pella of Madison has managed to take down all of their public comments, I am going to post here. Pella of Madison came to our home and blamed the problems we are having on our Aprilaire system even though our humidity level is set at 35%. The worker that came out said he was going to check with his supervisor and get back with us. That was over 2 months ago. The windows are letting in cold air through the tops and bottoms and creating mold in 15 of the 19 windows we purchased. We have contacted them 4 times with these issues. I guess our next step will be to file complaints with the BBB and the state of Wisconsin. We paid too much money to be having these issues.

Original review: June 18, 2018

One of my Pella windows recently started fogging due to a leak between the glass. I contacted Pella to resolve the issue and to get a replacement under warranty. I sent them all the information they required and within a few days I received a call from a window and door company. That window and door company told me that I had to pay a "service fee" of $125 for them to come out and inspect the defective window. How is this legal? I'll neither buy nor recommend a Pella window again.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I have a Pella sliding door. It had been installed for 6 years. In the middle of the night, it imploded. Mind you, there is nothing but a ravine and woods behind my house, only 1 near neighbor, and no easy access to my back yard. I talked to other people in the window manufacturing business and was told that on very rare occasions, the dual pane window can, in fact, implode. Pella (lack of) customer service says a phantom appeared in the middle of the night and threw something at my glass, causing it to break. Therefore, it is not covered in warranty. Add the fact that the individual I talked to was rude, and would interrupt with condescending comments made the whole experience horrible! Keep away from them! They will come up with any excuse to avoid living up to their warranty.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We bought 21 large Pella windows from Lowe's home center in March of 2000, they were custom fitted for our home. After the windows were installed in a new constructed home, we noticed a problem with the wood used to make the windows. The outside metal cladding used to wrap the casement had fallen off and the wood had rotted and fell to the bottom of the window. I contacted Pella on this matter and was told the windows were only warranted on the glass and if the glass was intact the wood was not covered. I replaced the patio doors and 5 windows with another brand of windows and had the wall repaired where the windows leaked inside. I also have a Egress window that has been replaced because of rotting wood, it was a Pella window and I replaced it with a Pella window and the wood is rotting to this day.

The whole reason of buying the clad wrapped windows was the so called better window and would last a long time. These windows from Pella fell apart and would not lock from the inside because the top of the bottom window had rotted away and fell to the outside of the house. I have a notice from Eubank v. Pella Corp for defective windows, I will see where this goes because Pella has already said they will not cover the windows because the glass is still good. Word to the wise DO NOT BUY PELLA WINDOWS.

Original review: May 23, 2018

We purchased our townhouse in 2003. Pella windows are in our townhouse -- the worst ever!!! No customer service no help. They want to charge $150.00 to look at 10 windows, we have 20 $300.00. To look at their horrible windows to tell us we need new ones -- Pella should be begging us to let them come to our house & apologizing to us for putting in an inferior windows at no charge to us. I don't know how they sleep at night. Everyone from the bottom up is no help. Especially corporate (they lock them in a closet to repeat the same answers). My husband is a veteran and they treated us horribly. Don't ever buy these windows! They don't even deserve one star.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I now see why Pella windows are so expensive. Obviously they have NO Quality Control so are constantly have to send out repairmen to replace and repair product. I have had to have service out 3 times and they are not done yet. I have had my Pella windows and patio door for 2 years. I had to have 4 windows replaced because the screws that were put in the bottom of the window were too long and broke the seal so moisture was forming between the panes. A couple windows would not lock (hardware was not installed correctly or bad hardware). One window had bad weather stripping... All the handles needed to be adjusted.

I'm still waiting to find out what they are going to do with my patio door. Water pools in the threshold when it rains. When they came out to replace the weather stripping they had sent the wrong stripping for the window, so now they have to come back AGAIN. Still waiting on the installer to call me about the patio door. It takes at minimum 4 weeks before Pella ever sends someone out. Then it takes forever for them to return with the parts and you can only hope they send the right item. I do like the looks of the windows, but wish I would have looked around before purchasing Pella Products. I will definitely be going with a different company for my front door. Would not recommend Pella.

Original review: May 1, 2018

We made an appointment over a month ago with Pella to replace a broken door handle. We were told they have to order the part and it would take at least a month. The repair guy arrived today (month+ later); however he did not check the part before he came to repair the door and found he was given the wrong part. Now we will have to wait yet another month as they have to re-order the correct part. I think the part should be shipped to them overnight and this issue should be resolved within a week. Our home is listed so it is important to have this door fixed asap.

Pella expert review by Joseph Truini

Pella has a 90-year history of designing and building high-quality, energy-efficient windows and doors. The company has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year nine times, most recently in 2016.

• Extreme commitment to sustainability: Pella not only sells energy-efficient products but also constantly tests new products and new technology to make products even more sustainable.

• Custom shapes available: Pella builds aluminum-clad wood windows, vinyl windows and fiberglass windows Pella will also customize products to meet customers’ needs. The company also makes wood, fiberglass and steel entry doors; French doors; sliding, bifold and multi-panel patio doors; storm doors; and garage doors.

• Online guides available: Customers can watch videos or read blogs to help them get design ideas and get started purchasing doors and windows.

• Installation and service help: Customers can schedule a service visit online if they need help with their products.

• Custom product creation: Users can create a custom door or window using this company's online design tool to choose materials, colors, shapes and sizes.

• Best for: Pella is best for people who are environmentally conscious and want to purchase high-quality windows and doors.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Pella Company Information