2. Homeowners

Find Windows and Doors partners near you

About Pella

Find Windows and Doors partners near you

Pella Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: April 21, 2021

Trisha **, Retail Sales Consultant, provided outstanding service and an exceptional consultation. She is very customer focused and loyal company employee. She knows her products well and recognized that we had previously installed Pella windows and knew the model numbers of each type window (impressive). She walked us through the entrance door product line and optional items, helped us design it, and in the end we decided to purchase a new entry door and sidelight. Yes, we could of continued to shop around; however, because of Trisha’s professionalism, courtesy, and knowledge, we decided to proceed to the next step and purchased our new entry door.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I read many of these reviews while the Pella installers were installing my new French doors and new window. It would seem that the company and the installers are no good based on all of the negative reviews. This is probably due to the fact that only angry, upset or disappointed people take time to write reviews (I'm guilty as well of this). I thought I would take a few minutes and share my experience, because it wasn't negative.

I have just completed a major renovation of the entire 1st floor of my home. I have brand new porcelain wood-look tile floors and new, expensive, cherry kitchen cabinets. I did much of the renovation myself. My plan was to have the door and window installed before the cabinets but after the floor were finished, but it didn't work out that way. The Window over the kitchen sink and the kitchen door were replaced last, after everything was finished. I was nervous that the installers might mess something up in my brand new kitchen. I sat at the table at the end of the room and watched the installers all day to make sure nothing was damaged, and nothing was.

The installers were Hispanic, all 3 of them. Only one of them spoke or understood English, which is disappointing (but that's another conversation). The person who spoke English was the lead and was the most skilled craftsman of the three. All three were courteous and professional. They arrived in the earlier part of the timeframe that was provided and they were ready to get right to work. Though it would have been easier on them to bring things through the house, they chose to bring everything needed around to the back outside. Anytime any of them entered my home they wore booties over their boots to protect my floors. They also used at least a half dozen fabric and plastic drop clothes to protect my floors and cabinets. Everything I was concerned about was protected, and I didn't have to say anything.

They needed to remove an existing window and an existing sliding glass door. The window came out fairly easily, but the door was more challenging. They were very good about keeping their work area clean. After removing the door and window they carefully measured and modified the rough openings to properly accept the new window and door. They discovered a problem with the previous door installation which presented a challenge in installing the new door. (In my house nothing is easy, ever). They presented the issue to me and a proposed resolution. I agreed with their evaluation and resolution and instructed them to proceed. This says that even if I wasn't there, they would have identified the problem, properly evaluated it and employed an acceptable resolution. The methods and practices they used were spot on, just like Mike Holmes would do or like you would see on "This Old House".

They installed a moisture barrier on the bare wood, shimmed everything off during installation and used spray foam to fill in and insulate the gap. Then the installed trim and added a sill to the kitchen window. None of my existing windows have sills. It's a nice touch. The finish work looks very nice. They caulked and painted everything. It looks perfect. Outside they bent and installed custom aluminum door trim that integrated with my existing siding. They caulked and weatherproofed it, and it looks great. It actually started to rain (it's January in the Mid-Atlantic region) and they kept on working.

My only real complaint is that the rain kept them from being able to sweep up all of the sawdust that they created on my deck and patio, but that's not their fault. The installer took the time to show me how the door and window operate, gave me some maintenance tips and answered my questions. What more could I want? So there you have it. I would be the first to rip someone if they did a bad job. My guys did a really nice job. Just as good as, if not better than, I would do myself. I hope you have a similar experience.

Get buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Months late with windows package for southern Colorado cabin due weeks ago. Still waiting for information and delivery. Extremely disappointing and disruptive to our construction progress. Call me if you have the courage. **

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I purchased two patio sliding doors with one being 72" and the other 96". Both doors are on the West facing side of the house just about 8 feet from each other. I chose to upgrade the glass to triple pane for the larger door which is supposed to increase the efficiency over the double pane Advanced Low-E Insulating Glass w/ Argon. The larger 3-pane door's window is hot to the touch while the 2-pane window is cool. I went with the Pella even with it's extremely high cost due to their literature that says they are the highest efficiency rated windows on the market but I am extremely displeased with the large door and am sorry I bought it. Would not buy another Pella product again.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

We ordered our windows and doors from Pella in our Local Lowe’s store in February 2021 because they said they could get them sooner than the Anderson windows. Most windows came in the month of May. We are still waiting for a gable window and it is now August 30. Customer service says they are still waiting for some glass to arrive at the plant to finish the window. It shouldn’t take that long to finish one window. We asked if they would ship it directly to us when finished to save a week or two in time and they won’t even do that. The windows we did receive already have their bottom rubber strip coming off several windows. We are very disappointed in the company and their customer service.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I purchased a Pella storm door via Lowe's. I almost immediately started having problems with both the top and bottom closing mechanisms. Poor design of the plastic piece that connects the closer to the frame. When I called customer service they directed me to their site where I need to order the part. I've also had several problems with the door handle. They claim to warrant this door from twenty years. **. Don't try contacting by phone for customer service or help with a previously purchased product.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Purchased these windows for my new home in 2006 and they are now falling apart from the outside! These were very expensive and high end units. They DO NOT LAST OR KEEP OUT WATER. The quality of their product is despicable and all homeowners should STAY AWAY! When customer service was requested, I was told that I’m out of luck. What a way to treat your customers after a $25,000 investment.

Original review: July 8, 2021

The glass in our eight year old Pella French doors fractured June 2020. In writing, they agreed that the doors were under warranty and that Pella would replace them. Ten months of delays later, we informed Pella that we intended to replace the doors ourselves and would expect reimbursement. Three more months and Pella has not responded to either voicemail or email.

Original review: July 5, 2021

Get it together Pella! We ordered our new patio door on 4/25/21 and got it installed today. We are beyond disappointed with Pella and their product. We ordered a custom size 3 panel patio door. Two of the panels were the correct size and color, however the 3rd panel was not only much smaller, it was also black instead of brown on the outside. As you can see from the pictures, the smaller panel is now being temporarily held together with wood around it so we don't have huge gaps around it. If only that was the end.

We are also missing the screen for the door and the handle! With no way to lock the door, we are left with a wooden makeshift stick "locking" our door. The outside of the door is left looking hideous! Apparently, the wooden panel/siding that was provided was also the wrong size, and we are left with exposed wood and the outside of our door looking horrible. How is this a product that you provide to your customers? Now we have to wait until you get your act together and provide us with a new and correct door and get it reinstalled. How long is that wait again? This is unacceptable and beyond frustrating!

Original review: July 1, 2021

Pella has a reputation for superior products and, one would assume, customer service commensurate with that type of quality. However, my husband and I would caution anyone considering a Pella installation in Colorado. After about 4 ½ hours with the Pella Windows & Doors of Colorado salesman, Dave **, we placed an order for about $60,000 on February 10th this year. The job finally began on June 7th. (Pella offered to start the last week of May, but since they originally indicated an April installation, we already had plans to be out of town.) We understand the construction industry has been slammed due to high demand, but we received no communication from Pella about the progress (or lack thereof) of our order. My husband has had to initiate all communication.

We were so excited when the windows arrived. That excitement quickly faded. This has been such a disappointing experience. For example, Pella delivered and installed a broken window, as well as obscured glass to replace transparent glass in two bedrooms, and a window that was four inches too short. Much of the frustration stems from the fact that Dave did not know how the sliding opening hardware works for two casement windows. Though we specified “no window opening control device; no limited opening hardware,” that is what they delivered. The slide-opening casement window requires you to remove the screen from the inside or to go outside to open the window more than ~6 inches. Pella believes we should accept an adaptation for the window which includes drilling holes in the frame to remove the unwanted hardware; we believe we paid for a new window that operates as described by our salesman.

The sales supervisor, Hunter **, came to our home last Friday and left agreeing to replace the windows with a prioritized manufacturing order. Today (Tuesday), however, Hunter called to renege on our oral agreement. He says that the contract allows them to repair before replacing a window. We contend that, since we received windows that we did not order in the first place, a repair is unacceptable. The only resolution is to replace with what we ordered. In the meantime, we have a wall of nine windows and stucco exposed to the elements. Does Pella care? Apparently not.

Then there’s the pricing issue. We have two sets of two windows that are identical in size. However, in one set, the price difference is $68.89. Add to that, we were charged $885 for stucco repairs when the Change Order states, “Customer will supply their own Stucco company to repair current damage to home and help seal windows.” Our own stucco costs are about $20,000. Are we being exploited or are these honest mistakes? Who knows, because when we’ve raised these issues with the salesman, the project manager, general manager of retail sales, and VP of retail sales, we’ve been answered with an invoice for 90% payment with no explanations of our pricing queries. The entire process, including ordering, delivery, installation, and customer service, has been – to quote the Pella GM for retail sales – “... a dumpster fire.” We recommend you look elsewhere for your windows and doors.

Original review: June 29, 2021

We ordered window for our new home before we even broke ground on the home. We were given a deliver date of June 18, twelve weeks later. Several weeks later we received notice of a ship date of 6/18. A few days before they were supposed to ship we received notice the windows would ship on 6/22. On 6/22, we received notice the windows would ship on the 6/28. On 6/29 we received notice that due to the July 4 holiday, the windows would not ship until 7/12. An entire month after they should have shipped originally. And to use the holiday as an excuse when the widows should have been delivered. We are being strung along. Had we originally been given the later date we could have chosen a window brand as our home sits in waiting for windows before we can proceed with any further construction. We wonder how many more times we will be delayed.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Very bad customer service. Customer satisfaction is not part of their business. Lousy company with no sales service at all!! I need a Pella patio door being replaced. Had to pay the sales guy for his visit right away. Never got any quote or estimate. Already 6 weeks ago. Nobody is answering the phone in the Atlanta office.

Take a Windows & Doors Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Pella author review by Joseph Truini

Pella has a 90-year history of designing and building high-quality, energy-efficient windows and doors. The company has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year nine times, most recently in 2016.

• Extreme commitment to sustainability: Pella not only sells energy-efficient products but also constantly tests new products and new technology to make products even more sustainable.

• Custom shapes available: Pella builds aluminum-clad wood windows, vinyl windows and fiberglass windows Pella will also customize products to meet customers’ needs. The company also makes wood, fiberglass and steel entry doors; French doors; sliding, bifold and multi-panel patio doors; storm doors; and garage doors.

• Online guides available: Customers can watch videos or read blogs to help them get design ideas and get started purchasing doors and windows.

• Installation and service help: Customers can schedule a service visit online if they need help with their products.

• Custom product creation: Users can create a custom door or window using this company's online design tool to choose materials, colors, shapes and sizes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Pella Company Information