Compare Window & Door Companies

Research top Window & Door Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

My screen to the sliding glass doors was completely off track. This is the wind up type screen. Called for appointment on Wednesday and the repair was done on Friday. The service tech's name was John. He called to confirm the appointment the day before and texted me on his way to my house. He was very polite and cordial introducing himself with very good representation for Pella. He was very knowledgeable and efficient in the repair. I highly recommend John. It was also good news to find out that my repair service was covered under warranty.

A Bunch of Scammers! I purchased Pella windows for my new home in 2002. Two of the window's sashes have crumbled into a pile of rotted wood. Several of the other windows are showing signs of rotting out. Pella sent a rep to my house and he recommended 7 windows should be replaced. A week later I get an estimate in the mail from Pella offering to replace the sashes of all 7 windows at MY expense! They said the 10 yr warranty had expired, but they will give me 25% off the replacement windows. Wow! How thoughtful of them! I read the class action lawsuits against Pella & they have thousands of people who's window sashes have rotted out from a faulty window design. Do Not buy Pella windows! They take your money and run!

I ordered a $9000.00 Pella double french door from Lowe's in Cotati Ca. After a long wait time to set up the install Pella sent the wrong size door to Lowe's and I had to wait another 2 weeks for the correct doors to arrive. The installation crew was great. No problems with them. At the end of the installation they couldn't find the locks for the door because they didn't send any. The crew notified Lowe's to overnight me the locks.

While cleaning up I noticed there was paint and smudges inside the double glass. The next Monday one lock arrives for my double door. I have to wait 3 weeks for the locks to finally come-3 weeks of wrapping a chain around my door every time I have to leave the house. I write to Pella about the paint and dirt inside the double glass - bottom line they don't really care about it.

I send the information to Lowe's and have not heard back from them. I think it was Lowe's fault. The locks didn't get ordered correctly but Pella is responsible for the other fiascos especially the paint and dirt inside the glass. This is supposed to be a quality company-you would think they would offer something to help fix the situation.

We built our home in 1997 and put used Pella Windows for all windows and doors. We were told by our builder that they were the best. In 5-8 years, several of the casement windows needed to be replaced - We contacted the builder and they coordinated with Pella to do the replacements under warranty. We were told the windows were under warranty for 10 years. In the ensuing years, we saw several of the windows that had been replaced, rot and require replacement again. There was a class action suit against Pella a few years ago - while we were working with the local Pella store to get our windows replaced (Again!), we were told that Pella could not honor the warranty and that our claims had to be filed as part of the class action suit.

We filed our claim which was very difficult by the way - we had to provide serial numbers on casement windows that were unreadable and other information that was not available - clearly slanted to make it difficult to file a claim. So, naturally, our claim was denied. So we are screwed, again. The Pella windows were defective - they rotted and it is unbelievable to me that a window manufacturer should expect windows to be replaced not once but twice over a 20 year span. I don't know that Marvin or Anderson are better but I will certainly find out. Pella's local reps contacted me and told me they were going to work with us but they lost interest. Good luck but I would avoid Pella at all cost! When I replace these windows it will not be with Pella.

Two and 1/2 years ago we had a Pella storm door installed. On 8/30/2017 for no apparent reason the tempered glass exploded... Pella supposed to have a warranty for 20 years on a tempered glass... They seem not to want to honor it. I requested to them for a technician to see the damage. Our front door is inside a porch! I would not recommend this product to anyone!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

We just had a room addition requiring ten new windows added to our home. We chose Pella, wood, double hung windows for this project. From the outset the windows have been difficult if not impossible for us to lock. The local Pella dealer sent their service man out who had to pull the windows shut with his full weight to get the lock to completely latch down. (The contractor had the locks only partially engaged because they felt they might break if forced to completely lock.) The service man said that the weather stripping needed to compress down in order for them to lock easily and advised us to just give the windows "time" to work properly. He did not say how long we would need to give these windows to settle in and start working properly. This was five months ago and two service calls to the Pella dealer and I am able to force some of them to now lock but some are still more than my wife or I can "manhandle" into the locked position.

We replaced the windows in the rest of the house 24 years ago with comparable wood windows from Wenco that have worked well since the day they were installed and were, at the time a fraction of the cost of Pella or other top line windows. I fully expect the Pella window locks to break soon simply because of the pressure put on them to lock and hold these windows shut. It is clear that the Pella dealer is not going to do anything about this clear defect in their product.

I have a question for anyone out there... A problem really. I bought 3 new Pella windows to replace my original windows in the front. Two are on the side and a larger in the center. I had heard Pella is the best and they cost around $2000. The second day they were in, the large center window was covered in a foggy condensation. I called the salesman right away, and he asked if it was in between or outside. It appeared to be outside. I sent pictures and it went to the service department. I have sent emails and called over twenty times, including calls to the national customer service office. I sent more pictures and at one point the sales person sent me pictures of his windows which are not Pella and do get condensation. I've explained that I did not have this with my old windows and I wanted them back. I was told I couldn't get them back.

I suggested maybe a screen for the middle stationary window since the side windows have screens and do not get condensation. By the end of August, I was told the service department said it was condensation and they do not do anything for that but send me a booklet which explained that condensation comes from the sun, the rotation of the earth, dew points, possibly shrubbery. I've removed some of my front shrubs but every time it gets colder outside than in, my windows are steamed up until at least 9:30 to 10:00, so morning coffee is without a view out my front window. Besides the frustration and disappointment in Pella, I fear that winter is coming and it will always be colder outside. Everyone who sees it says this is not right for a new window. I've contacted the Better Business Bureau but have you any suggestions on what else I can do?

Purchased a house with all Pella windows... our first "Pella window" house. We were thrilled until we realized our 13-year windows were totally rotted (per Pella -"glazing failed"). We were confident they would help replace the "failed" windows. We put too much faith in the Pella name... not only did they not stand behind their product, but wanted to charge us for new replacements, labor, and shipping. Never will we buy another property that has Pella windows!

Began a total window replacement project using Pella windows. Process has been nothing but a nightmare. Substandard performance all the way around. Pella customer service is absolutely the worst group I have ever dealt with. 6 windows have been replaced with Pella. Now after being victimized by Pella we are working on replacing the other 8 with anyone other than Pella. Biggest mistake I have ever made, contacting Pella.

We bought this house built in 2002 three years ago. It has lots of windows; all of them Pella. Twenty one of them are casement windows and are quite large. After we bought the house and started looking closer (our fault for not doing it before - long story), we found water egress on many and rot on some of the windows. We immediately called Pella to have them tell us that they are not responsible for the installation of their great windows. In digging further, we found out that Pella had replace a couple windows only a couple years before we bought the house. The windows in question were already rotten to the point that the ceiling of the rooms below flooded out and the sheet rock had to be replaced. One night when we were away, the ceiling flooded out again. This time, I repaired it myself not knowing what was going to happen.

We then left for a couple months - the house being heated throughout this winter time - to come back with water damage on the floor of the room with the windows and the plaster of the ceiling below being damaged again. This time we decided that before repairing the plaster and all, we would replace the window (three Panes) with a different supplier's window. Even though A and M were of equal quality, we decided to go with M because of price. The new window was installed today the siding which had to be replaced because of this problem with the rot in the Pella window goes up tomorrow. It is incredible to see the difference in quality of the new window compared to the old. I have spoken with several (not Trump here, truly several) people who have/had Pella windows and ALL are unsatisfied with the quality of Pella. Please stay away from these guys.

We recently purchased a new home and the contractor installed a Pella 450 Proline sliding door. FYI - it's not a mistake, the screen door IS supposed to be on the inside track! We did not realize until we actually started using the door that this ingenious design allows bugs inside when you close the door at night. Also, during the winter, snow can build up on the track outside and you won't be able to open the door; it acts like a broomstick in the track that most people use for added security. When I called Pella, they claim the design allows for optimal sealing when the wind blows.

I guess they failed to realize the trade off to that is a house full of bugs and getting locked inside during the winter. I suggested they come up with some type of seal on the outside to prevent bugs from flying in between the glass and provide it at no charge to each of their current Proline customers. Or perhaps a lifetime supply of beetle traps with any Proline purchase! Unfortunately neither will solve the snow problem so maybe limit market availability to the south where it doesn't snow. When we do eventually replace these doors, it likely will not be with Pella. Very disappointing.

Had double storm doors installed about 8 years ago and received the Pella warranty for 10 years. They had a wood core and one of them developed a spot that grew over the last year of flaking paint and then exposed wood core. We sent pictures of this hole in the door to Pella with all required information on size and copy of our receipt. Warranty was approved. We were told to go through Lowe's to have the doors measured and so replacements could be sent and installed. This was done and after months of waiting doors were sent to Lowe's and brought out to our house. No hardware was included so the installers advised waiting till everything was together. I called and in a couple weeks the hardware was mailed to me. The installers came back but then told me the doors were too big to fit, though correct measurements were sent in by Lowe's.

To make a long story short, after weeks of calling Lowe's and a Pella representative it was finally determined that our original doors were presumably cut down an inch or so to fit the opening and the warranty was void. This was news to us, not aware they had been modified at all, and also that the warranty we had kept was no good. We were offered a $100 a door if we ordered custom doors. At this point approximately 7 months have passed since our first request for replacement doors was sent to Pella and countless phone calls. We had thought Pella was the gold standard when it came to windows and doors. Not so.

We recently replaced all the windows in our home, 27 in total. We have lived in this house for 30 years in Norwalk, CT and have never been happy with the Acorn sliders, with metal frames that were put in when the house was built. After carefully listening to sales people from Pella and their competition; we decided to go with Max ** from Pella. He offered us a quality product at a reasonable cost. Our project was finished in early June. It was completed on time, with absolutely no problems. There was no damage on the exterior or interior. There was no damage to the existing sills and the crew replaced the exterior with new flashing and Azek material. We couldn't be happier!

The installers, Vladimer and his crew, were extremely neat, and polite and never left until everything was clean, neat and in place. We were called by Max and the office staff to see if we were pleased. We would highly recommend this team to anyone. If you would like to see our windows, please email: **. We would be happy to show them to you.

I purchased the Designer sliding patio door from Pella. After installation was complete and upon inspection, I noted these uneven over-cuts for the hinge pocket for the HGP (hinged glass panel). Pella states that this is normal. The cuts are uneven and are really noticeable. They could easily be covered with a slightly larger molding that covers the rest of the hinge but this might cost Pella a few pennies more. I have attached pictures below so you can see what I didn't before I spent $3300.

Purchased special order windows from Lowe's. Two have panels that don't lock into sash so gap for air. Two windows have manufacturing debris that blocks the drains and prevents window track from draining. Lowe's referred me to Pella customer service. Slow response. Second call I was told that I was low priority because I bought from Lowe's. Service tech called to confirm appt and already was saying that it was probably an installation problem. Not their fault. Came the next day and was no help. Didn't even know how to clean track. Insisted he call boss who explained the procedure to him. He did one and then left. When I complained I was told that they wouldn't be coming back. Deeply disappointed.

I built my home in 2003. The window contract with Pella was in the 6 figures. After 4 years we noted that many of the window sashes were rotted. As the years have passed and the warranty has expired almost all of the windows in my house have rotted and had to be replaced. Adding insult to injury, their service department is unresponsive. How they could still be in business is a mystery? Numerous hand prints between the panes of glass. You would think someone would actually care about what they are selling.

Several years ago we purchased a Pella patio door because of the included shades in the glass. They implied it had thermo pane windows, but it was only dual glass, one being the window and the other enclosing the shade. So we had to pay extra to have the outer glass replaced with a true thermo pane window. Over the years little parts would break, and getting support was difficult. Now the drive unit for the shade movement has broken and after repeated calls to Pella support in Denver, I finally got to talk to a real person. He e-mailed part lists, and I responded with the exact part I needed, plus a photo of the broken part. Now three weeks later Pella support Denver will not respond to my e-mails or answer my calls. So my recommendation to anyone looking at windows or doors, is do NOT consider Pella.

I wish I had seen all the reviews about Pella before I had purchased my windows. My window would not close after cleaning it and I had to call Pella. It was determined I needed a repair man to come out. They would not tell me the cost of this person to come out and stated that it was a labor fee only. Once the company contacted me I was told that they would only tell me the cost once on site. The repairman arrived and stated that the price is set by Pella and therefore they know exactly what the fee is. The fee just to come look at my window was 169.00! I have never had a charge that high just to come look at something. What a racket that Pella has going!!!

I have read so many complaints about Pella windows that I just had to put pen to paper my 35 year experience with this company. In 1981 I added an addition to my house and installed 14 Double Hung windows and a Sliding Glass door. At the same I replaced all the existing windows in the house with new Pella ones. I can quite honestly say not one has rotted, the double hung ones are still working like new, the sliding door (although it's taken a beating over the years) is in relatively good condition and the 2 casement windows are in pristine working order. If anyone at Pella wants to contact me they are more than welcome. Better still they can come and see for themselves the state of the windows.

Never buy again! I started buying Pella products thirty years ago and have tried to be patient. I've reached the point that it's overpriced and the customer service is terrible. Why should a good customer be given vague answers by high school graduates? Why should a minor job be so expensive (taking out a designer screen door is impossible). I read the instructions and they still don't make sense. The showroom windows and doors look good but it's another story once in. I have French doors, a large double sliding glass door, another sliding door, all wood and a fiberglass designer in my kitchen, not to mention many windows! It's hard to pop the windows to clean them and the casement windows will rot at the bottom. If it wasn't so hard to reach the corporate office for solid answers it would be different. Once you're sold, they really forget you fast!

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. We bought window replacements, 6 weeks late on delivery, several windows made wrong. Checked order and sizing, correctly ordered. Their people can't measure. Then a couple windows came back damaged and had to be replaced. We thought this was finally done, but no! Pella returned a window with the grids on the bottom and clear on the top. Excuse me but has anyone seen windows like this? So again we had to reorder. Finally, the right window showed up and our job was done. 5 1/2 months later for a job that was supposed to be around 30 days. Installers were great and beyond patient with Pella.

I thought this was my last experience with the company, but unfortunately our contractor installed a Pella garage door. A panel needs to be replaced and it's been 2 plus months and no sign of the parts and a dozen calls to their horrendous customer service with no results yet. And when they ask you to leave a message, don't expect a callback, because it's not going to happen. Did that 5 times so far! Too bad they make a good product, it's just lousy management and execution. Hope this helps. There are other good product on the market. Next time I will go with them.

We just want to provide our positive experience with the recent installation of 15 windows and 1 patio door. The installation crew, Dustin ** and Dave **, were outstanding. These two individuals were very knowledgeable and competent with respect to the removal of the existing windows and door and reinstallation of same. They reviewed each window location, placed pads and cloth to protect the floors and furniture, and performed their work very expeditiously. They both had a very good demeanor and addressed every question that we had with respect to the window and door products. After they completed their work each day they cleaned up all the debris, vacuumed, and in one case wiped our hardwood floor. Both of these individuals were polite and courteous, maintaining a professional presence throughout the project.

Delivery was made by Dan **, who was on time and also was very courteous and polite. His delivery was done expeditiously with care to make sure the windows and door were not damaged and that the delivery had all the miscellaneous materials for each window and door.

I am deeply disappointed in the recent response from Pella windows regarding the failure of the casement windows that were sold to us in 2003. We purchased Pella windows due to the quality and price of their product. Recently it was discovered that the casement windows have become rotted and now causing further structural damage to our house.

After doing some research, we learned that others have had this very same problem. It is very unfortunate that Pella knows the casement windows were defective and yet would come back with the determination that the water damage came from the inside of the windows. This simply can't be possible as there is very little water damage on the inside compared to the water/structure damage that has taken place on the outside. The Pella rep stated "we can't prove that the sash failed". Really??? I can say that the Pella representative was willing to send a sales rep out to give us a bid on new windows, which would have a better warranty. However, currently in my opinion, this is unacceptable and insulting at best.

We have had nothing but problems with their products (all of them). Almost half of the windows had leaks and had to be replaced. The warranty covered the materials, but not the labor which came to over $600. Now the window sills are rusting. Trying to get someone to come out and look at a problem takes months. Also, we have also had problems with the screen door we bought from them (constantly coming loose) and the rolling screen door for the sliding glass doors we bought. We really regret using this company.

I just had a sunroom built and had Pella windows with blinds installed. 10 7ft double hung windows. I cannot adjust some of the blinds to save my soul. I think scissors will fix the problem. I hate these windows. I can see that when I have to eventually open the windows to clean them on the inside it will be hours of trying to get the blinds readjusted. You barely touch them and they are out of whack. Wasted my money on these.

Purchased a pair of sliding doors manufactured by Pella about 5 years ago. These unknown bb size pellets started rolling out on both doors between the panes of glass. Pella service dept wanted $830 to replace the glass. This I feel is a total failure of their product and not caused by normal use, plus they said these unknown pellets were not placed there by the manufacturer. Since the glass has a 10 year warranty they will replace the glass but labor is on me and I have to pick the glass up. I am very unhappy with Pella and how they handled this. I will probably replace both doors with a different manufacturer and never use Pella again. These doors are the ones that have the built in blinds between the panes of glass which also don't work correctly.

Complex Litigation Group LLC was prosecuting a class action lawsuit against Pella Corporation and Pella Windows and Doors, Inc. involving ProLine aluminum clad windows. Pella's ProLine windows contain an alleged design defect that allows water to enter the window sash, causing wood rot and necessitating costly window replacement. Because of the ProLine window's design, any wood rot is usually concealed by the aluminum cladding. As a result, homeowners may not discover the problems with Pella ProLine windows until it has reached an advanced stage, requiring replacement of the entire window and frame.

So this past fall, 2016, I spent $5000 to replace 4 Pella windows (with Andersen Windows) because THEY WOULD NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT! I was told it was my fault because I didn't get on the roof to caulk around the windows... They also will tell you it was installed improperly... Never their design flaw.

Update: I had one more kitchen transom window to deal with (due to the same rotting dilemma), this past week. Unfortunately, the transom was part of the double hung frame. No other window company had that same size and design, so I had no other choice! What a deal I got! With 40% off, I only have to pay $2400... And all because of THEIR design flaw... What a deal... smh.

Pella WINDOWS STORE IN SIOUX CITY, IOWA - We purchased 16,000 dollars worth of Pella windows for our new four season room and they were not as we ordered. When we complained to the dealer he said and I quote "What do you want me to do. Tell my sales person that he made a 16,000 dollar mistake?" Now the windows show that the glass was never cleaned on both sides of the two panes before they were put together. So far they refuse to do anything about it. My day is coming.

The installation of my windows was good, and the new front door we installed had was solid. The problem arose when 2 of the 11 so called premium replacement windows would not stay in the risen position after 15 months. When I called the Nashville office to get them repaired, I was told only the parts would be at no cost, and that I would need to replace them myself. Like I am going to remove windows on the second floor and replace these parts. These lasted less than 2 years and have began to break. Go elsewhere!

The contractor hired by Pella damaged the finish on my stair railing and damaged the drywall during installation. A day was set for repair and much to my surprise (sarcasm), the contractor was a no show. Contact the sales person and he is going to contact the contract head, his boss. All I hear now is crickets! Go elsewhere and save yourself the aggravation.

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

Pella has a 90-year history of designing and building high-quality, energy-efficient windows and doors. The company has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year nine times, most recently in 2016.

• Extreme commitment to sustainability: Pella not only sells energy-efficient products but also constantly tests new products and new technology to make products even more sustainable.
  • Custom shapes available: Pella builds aluminum-clad wood windows, vinyl windows and fiberglass windows Pella will also customize products to meet customers’ needs. The company also makes wood, fiberglass and steel entry doors; French doors; sliding, bifold and multi-panel patio doors; storm doors; and garage doors.
  • Online guides available: Customers can watch videos or read blogs to help them get design ideas and get started purchasing doors and windows.
  • Installation and service help: Customers can schedule a service visit online if they need help with their products.
  • Custom product creation: Users can create a custom door or window using this company's online design tool to choose materials, colors, shapes and sizes.
  • Best for Pella is best for people who are environmentally conscious and want to purchase high-quality windows and doors.

Compare Windows & Doors