1.38/5
Based on 59 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

551 Pella Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

One of my Pella windows recently started fogging due to a leak between the glass. I contacted Pella to resolve the issue and to get a replacement under warranty. I sent them all the information they required and within a few days I received a call from a window and door company. That window and door company told me that I had to pay a "service fee" of $125 for them to come out and inspect the defective window. How is this legal? I'll neither buy nor recommend a Pella window again.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I have a Pella sliding door. It had been installed for 6 years. In the middle of the night, it imploded. Mind you, there is nothing but a ravine and woods behind my house, only 1 near neighbor, and no easy access to my back yard. I talked to other people in the window manufacturing business and was told that on very rare occasions, the dual pane window can, in fact, implode. Pella (lack of) customer service says a phantom appeared in the middle of the night and threw something at my glass, causing it to break. Therefore, it is not covered in warranty. Add the fact that the individual I talked to was rude, and would interrupt with condescending comments made the whole experience horrible! Keep away from them! They will come up with any excuse to avoid living up to their warranty.

Get expert buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We bought 21 large Pella windows from Lowe's home center in March of 2000, they were custom fitted for our home. After the windows were installed in a new constructed home, we noticed a problem with the wood used to make the windows. The outside metal cladding used to wrap the casement had fallen off and the wood had rotted and fell to the bottom of the window. I contacted Pella on this matter and was told the windows were only warranted on the glass and if the glass was intact the wood was not covered. I replaced the patio doors and 5 windows with another brand of windows and had the wall repaired where the windows leaked inside. I also have a Egress window that has been replaced because of rotting wood, it was a Pella window and I replaced it with a Pella window and the wood is rotting to this day.

The whole reason of buying the clad wrapped windows was the so called better window and would last a long time. These windows from Pella fell apart and would not lock from the inside because the top of the bottom window had rotted away and fell to the outside of the house. I have a notice from Eubank v. Pella Corp for defective windows, I will see where this goes because Pella has already said they will not cover the windows because the glass is still good. Word to the wise DO NOT BUY PELLA WINDOWS.

Original review: May 23, 2018

We purchased our townhouse in 2003. Pella windows are in our townhouse -- the worst ever!!! No customer service no help. They want to charge $150.00 to look at 10 windows, we have 20 $300.00. To look at their horrible windows to tell us we need new ones -- Pella should be begging us to let them come to our house & apologizing to us for putting in an inferior windows at no charge to us. I don't know how they sleep at night. Everyone from the bottom up is no help. Especially corporate (they lock them in a closet to repeat the same answers). My husband is a veteran and they treated us horribly. Don't ever buy these windows! They don't even deserve one star.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I now see why Pella windows are so expensive. Obviously they have NO Quality Control so are constantly have to send out repairmen to replace and repair product. I have had to have service out 3 times and they are not done yet. I have had my Pella windows and patio door for 2 years. I had to have 4 windows replaced because the screws that were put in the bottom of the window were too long and broke the seal so moisture was forming between the panes. A couple windows would not lock (hardware was not installed correctly or bad hardware). One window had bad weather stripping... All the handles needed to be adjusted.

I'm still waiting to find out what they are going to do with my patio door. Water pools in the threshold when it rains. When they came out to replace the weather stripping they had sent the wrong stripping for the window, so now they have to come back AGAIN. Still waiting on the installer to call me about the patio door. It takes at minimum 4 weeks before Pella ever sends someone out. Then it takes forever for them to return with the parts and you can only hope they send the right item. I do like the looks of the windows, but wish I would have looked around before purchasing Pella Products. I will definitely be going with a different company for my front door. Would not recommend Pella.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: May 1, 2018

We made an appointment over a month ago with Pella to replace a broken door handle. We were told they have to order the part and it would take at least a month. The repair guy arrived today (month+ later); however he did not check the part before he came to repair the door and found he was given the wrong part. Now we will have to wait yet another month as they have to re-order the correct part. I think the part should be shipped to them overnight and this issue should be resolved within a week. Our home is listed so it is important to have this door fixed asap.

Original review: May 1, 2018

My custom built home had a Pella Window contract that was 6 figures. Almost all of them failed (rotted) after 7 years and now, even those replacements have failed. I've begun replacing them all. Their customer service is almost non-existent and they have no sense of urgency in getting back to you. The horror is that frequently the damaged windows are behind the walls and when you finally notice it, the walls need repair as well. Why anyone would even consider Pella is now beyond me. What a costly mistake.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Blinds between the door failed within 5 years, pellets started dropping between the glass just like pictures the other reviewers posted. The wood underneath is rotting. They are going to need to fix this.

Original review: April 24, 2018

We have Pella windows that were installed in a custom built home that is less than two years old. During a recent heavy rain, the window in our great room began leaking significantly. I called Pella the next day, the first customer service agent hung up on me when I expressed my dismay over having a service call scheduled for a month from my call. I had to call back in and got another agent who instructed me to e-mail customer service with my issue and she would look for a more recent appointment. I e-mailed customer service and received an auto response indicating a return e-mail within 3 days. It has been 5 days with no further response and no callback. Meanwhile I keep an eye on the weather forecast hoping we will not get another rainstorm resulting in a significant amount of water in our great room.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I just built a new house with 27 windows. 26 were Pella windows. I purchased these because of Pella’s reputation of being a quality window and the performance rating for these windows had a U factor of 0.30 or better. I felt cold drafts coming from all 26 windows, so I used an IR thermal scanner to see where drafts were coming from. They were leaking around the glass and the window frames and frames to the jams.

I contacted my salesman and he said I could purchase an enhancement kit for $20 per window, which was weather stripping. The enhancement kit directions didn’t even cover where the air was leaking the most, all 4 corners of the lower window where there was 3/8” to 1/4” gaps in weather stripping. I spent over $7300 for the windows. The 27th window was a bow window I purchased at Bargain Outlet for $600, which was $ 700 cheaper than Pella’s and does not have nearly the air loss that the Pella’s do. I am very disappointed in the quality of the windows.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Ordered windows and installation from Pella. Some measurements were wrong. Final installation was delayed for four months, neighbors garage access were blocked for days. Work was done poorly (not according to agreement). Two months after final installation two windows are leaking, damaging ceiling and walls. Called for repair, two weeks later appointment given (installation problems were acknowledged by tech) then complete silence from Pella Service. Five weeks later no attempt to address the issues were made, customer service unable to help, non-responsive. Stuck with leaking windows and water damage. Need to move forward hiring help to prevent massive structural and property damage. My recommendation; don't deal with Pella, they project a reliable company image. Nothing backs the customer, no one to turn to.

Original review: March 29, 2018

My wife & I don't have much bad to say about the front door that Pella installed. Then again for the money it costs we better not. The issue is we had a storm door that was not even 2 yrs. old and costs us $1900.00. Pella had two people measure the existing storm door, including the project manager/Pella Specialist. Both of them knew we wanted to keep this storm door. It was even written up on the work order to replace the existing storm door. The installers came, replace my encasement and front door, however this is where everything goes south. He tells me when he tried to install the storm door that it's about 1/4" too wide! Old carpenters rule of thumb, measure 2 times, cut once? NOT!!!

They want to help by us going to Lowe's and buying a cheap storm door for about $350 and they will install it or buy a Pella door and get 50% off. Off what they give no prices. Oh remember the $1900 storm door that now sits in our garage? Hello. I have called the manager 2 times and no return call. Emailed them, and once in a while I get a person who sends a email that says they have escalated the message to upper authorities. I feel sick. As I'm writing this I am looking at their brochure and it say, "Enjoy CONFIDENCE in a job done right." Please!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I had to have the locks changed on my Pella Patio Doors. There is apparently an adjustment to the lock mechanism that controls height and it is now sitting too low. However, there is no longer a sales and service office in our area and the office 1-1/2 hours away referred the call to an office 3 hours away and that took nearly two weeks, though their voicemail says 48 hours. So I was told it would cost almost $300 for someone to come here and fix it. They were supposed to call me "right back" and here we are over a week later.

I've sent complaints to Pella customer service and they told me to call the people in Maryland back. Why would I have to call them again? Why won't they call customers? Why won't they call back when you DO call them? Why is there nothing useful on the Pella site to help an owner fix their own doors, if Pella won't do it? I want the technical information to make my own repair. And I want Pella to stop marketing to people living in areas they refuse to provide customer support to. It's a scam otherwise.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Bought windows from Pella. Windows were incorrectly installed, metal capping is too high and the caulking is allowing water to come inside and ruin the wall. I was informed that I had a ten year warranty. Upon review, I was informed there is nothing they can do since I am outside of my two year warranty. This is the worse service ever. I would never use or recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Bought my front door unit from Pella. The door has popped out on both inside and outside and rotten wood is falling out from behind the laminate/fake wood exterior panel. I received a discount on the unit when I purchased it, because it was sized wrong and didn't fit the home it was intended for. They will not honor the 10 year warranty because I received it at a discounted rate. Are you kidding me?? Brand new unit not guaranteed because I bought it at a reduced rate. Their people sized it wrong for someone else and would have had to trash it. If I would have known it was not covered under the warranty I can assure you I would have never bought it. Never ever use Pella Windows and Doors!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018 My Pella door is 9 years old and has a small crack on the exterior side. Bottom of door appears to be rotting out. Pella had a contractor contact me at a cost to me
for $175 to evaluate for Pella before they would honor a partial warranty so we are stuck at that point where they say I have to pay for their person to check the door. I had agreed to pay for the labor to replace the door and they would provide the door. My 2 Stanley doors are 20 and 30 years old with no sign of wear to the doors. Just know I am going back to Stanley doors. The sad part is I only replaced the door for a different design. Also please note there is a gutter over the door

now this is a 32 inch exterior door so it looks like by the time I would pay for their warranty check and etc. I could almost buy a new Stanley door.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

14 of my Pella Proline windows rotted. All had to be replaced. Cost $22000. 5 Proline Casement Windows did not rot. Pella just announced settling class action but only on casement windows. Smart Pella lawyers put maneuvered Clifford law who did receive $9,000,000 for not representing us! Don't buy Pella.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Had 2 large sliding Pella Impervia Series 2 yrs/3 months ago installed in my family room. I just saw that there is mold growing in the lower glazing bead on the fixed window. I am 71 yr old woman who lost husband 3 years ago, Pella said my labor warranty expired and this glazing bed defect is not covered anyway! They told me to go outside and pop the glazing bead off and clean it and pop it back on! Option pay 150.00 for a tech to come out and clean it. Quality terrible on brand new windows... and could happen with other window! Sorry I chose this company.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We installed Pella windows with the blinds and shades in the glass. They immediately showed that they were worth the investment. Very weathertight and kept my children's rooms dark with the room darkening shades while they were sleeping in the morning. I had Pella install the windows and have had no problems at all. Very impressed.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

We originally called Pella and they sent a commission based representative out who was great, knowledgeable and easy to work with. We ended up buying 2 doors. One for about $11k and the other for about $3.5k. One of the doors was apparently going to need to have the jam reframed and I was told I could pay the installation contractor cash, which would be cheaper than through Pella. They were going to have to demo the existing, reframe and move electrical. I agreed to pay the $400 cash for such work.

We waited 8 weeks or so for the doors to arrive and install them, which was not a problem at all and it was represented at the point of sale. It turned out the door needing to be reframed, didn't have to be resized or have the electrical moved. I was still asked to pay a discounted $300 which I thought was unacceptable since the dramatic reframe didn't actually take place but I paid it to avoid confrontation with the contractors who had access to my entire house for the day. I let it go. Upon further inspection of the French doors, myself, the sales guy and installer all agreed that the condition was less than acceptable for such a "superior" product.

At this point, I didn't have a problem. Things happen. I'm in a similar industry and know these kind of things can take place. They reordered the doors and 8 weeks later came back out to install the new panels of the doors. They we're also, unacceptable to the installer. I was told they were worse than the original ones installed. We have now waited another 6 weeks without a word from anyone until I called yesterday. The operator was uncaring of such a frustrated client who had anticipated replacing about 60 windows and 15 doors in my 5000 sq ft house with Pella. No apology, no sense of care. I don't trust the newest doors and there isn't anything I can do, no incentive for them to do anything since they have been paid. Beware. The doors seem to be great quality and the sales process was easy, but god forbid you have an issue. You won't feel like it was money well spent.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

We put Pella replacement windows in our home about 10 years ago and have had a lot of trouble with moisture collecting on inside and mold. Whenever we have asked about it, we are always given an excuse about humidity. Yet our old windows never did this. You can feel the cold coming through. Mold grows from condensation. These were a grade above the standard windows and have the blinds inside the windows which also is a problem...because when the string holding blinds together breaks, we have found out that can’t be fixed either. I don’t understand why they don’t stand behind their product! Such a shame. We used to think it was one of the best but not true. Will probably be replacing them again with something else.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Ice around all windows cold air coming in. I have tried everything. No humidifiers going even though it's below zero. We have contacted pella 3 times to no avail for the 10 years we have lived here since we bought this new $800,000 house. Never ever use Pella. Very bad company, and to think they are Iowan company.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I received a house full of defective windows and Pella replace 7 of them due to mold attaching to the glazing putty. Now the rest of the original windows are having the same problem but Pella will not stand behind their product. Do yourself a favor and buy Marvin or Anderson windows. Don’t trust this company.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have been through one year of trying to work with Pella now. They keep you on the hook as long as they can, working hard to accommodate you. Then you get passed from salesperson to salesperson due to high turnover and volatility within the company. The prices change constantly and at the end you have no idea how you got there. I've dealt with three associates and one manager and each one tells me how the "past employee" did something wrong and now I have to pay for it. Talk about a "scapegoat" scheme.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Water leaks, wind leaks and this product failure ruined all the finish and wood moldings and saddle. Took over 1 yr for a response to the original complaint. Came back and put silicone caulking on the glazed panel to stop that. Then replaced the operating panel. Took three times to get one that fit. Now it's cold and windy and I'm watching my winter drapes being blown in the wind entering through the door seals. Four days now trying to contact Pella, and no response. Spent a lot of extra money for architectural triple pane so I would save on heating bills. Now I have at least 800 cfm leaking in from door like having the AC on. COSTING ME A FORTUNE TO HEAT because of my window and door choice. Had other issues with other items in the window and door pkg received. Some were resolved by Pella. Problems that didn't they ignored.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Before you purchase a Pella Product, Please Read. Both Pella Full View Storm Doors, during the Winter Season, stay dripping wet on inside all day & all night. I squeegee at least a cup+ of water from each daily. Basically I told more air needs to circulate around doors-to open a window for more air flow! Also gold tone French door handles are tarnished-or losing the gold tone & look like an old dirty iron pipe. I am to receive a new handle-could not find mfg. # on older front door, so it will continue to look ugly. I will never again purchase any product from Pella.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I purchased a 9x7, 2 layers insulated garage door. The hinges have failed. Instantly. One snapped in half. As I research Pella is using under grade hinges. I assume to save Pella $$. No matter if doors fails or screws over consumer. I was able to get 3 middle hinges so far. They're universal. And stronger. Now the 6 side hinges able to hold roller. And right fit and size. Sick. You buy a garage door and last thing you want is to have to replace their parts.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

In order to get a replacement from Pella they expect me a 72 year old to; Pay $30.00 for shipping charge to get the door delivered, take off the hardware from the old door and put it on the delivered door, take the old door off the hinges and put the new door with the old hardware up. If I have to pay for installation they will reimburse me for a grand total of $25.00. To me this is ridiculous!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

In June I ordered Pella patio doors - in August they installed 4 panel pocket doors in my home. They were delivered, installed and then they called and told me the glass thickness did not meet Sumter County standards. They said they would replace at their expense (additional $6,000 cost). On 10/26 they replaced the doors that do not fit in the tracks (they rock back and forth and slam into each other and the handle are so loose that you can still move them back and forth when they are locked). The installer told me they were wrong and someone would contact me. The last correspondence I received was "I am very sorry for the inconvenience with the recovery. My manager already contacted our vendor to find out what happened with the panel. I should have an update for you soon." I have heard nothing.

They were paid back in June from Wells Fargo where I financed. I am currently making payments on a product they have been paid in full for and are unsatisfactory. Additionally, they cut into the trim around the door and have not repaired the damage. There is exposed insulation, they are not sealed and the hot/cold air comes into the house. I still have an outstanding (open) permit and a Notice of Commencement on file with the County. The cost of the doors are $9, 840.00.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I put up an office building 30 years ago. There must be about 60 windows in this building. What the architect didn't tell us is that he got a commission from Pella for each window he put in. That's on top of what we paid the architect! The screws to the hardware are short and the hardware keeps falling out. The insulation on the windows comes apart and you can't get a hold of the parts department to get parts. They keep disconnecting you when you call. And if you leave a message, they never get back to you! THERE ARE SO MANY BETTER WINDOWS OUT THERE, DON'T BUY PELLA WINDOWS!

Pella expert review by Joseph Truini

Pella has a 90-year history of designing and building high-quality, energy-efficient windows and doors. The company has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year nine times, most recently in 2016.

• Extreme commitment to sustainability: Pella not only sells energy-efficient products but also constantly tests new products and new technology to make products even more sustainable.

• Custom shapes available: Pella builds aluminum-clad wood windows, vinyl windows and fiberglass windows Pella will also customize products to meet customers’ needs. The company also makes wood, fiberglass and steel entry doors; French doors; sliding, bifold and multi-panel patio doors; storm doors; and garage doors.

• Online guides available: Customers can watch videos or read blogs to help them get design ideas and get started purchasing doors and windows.

• Installation and service help: Customers can schedule a service visit online if they need help with their products.

• Custom product creation: Users can create a custom door or window using this company's online design tool to choose materials, colors, shapes and sizes.

• Best for: Pella is best for people who are environmentally conscious and want to purchase high-quality windows and doors.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Pella Company Information