Compare Window & Door Companies

Research top Window & Door Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Two years ago, installed double door, side lights, blinds between the double panes. The blinds were fussy from the start. The door knob never worked right and Pella sent out a person to fix it, but it still is fussy. The blinds were used a few times then broke. The sting leaders are frayed and broken, blinds are sagging. Pella was contacted 6 months ago and they called back. Never got a person out to us.

Most of the Pella windows in my home are rotting. Probably all of them (waiting for inspection to be sure). I built my home in 2007 and windows were the single largest purchase ($20,000). I bought from Pella because I trusted the name. After reading all the internet complaints it appears there is a class action lawsuit against Pella. Really??? I thought I purchased a top of the line product from a trusted company. I have called Pella and they are sending someone out. I hope my experience is better than the ones I'm reading about here.

I might as well be brief. My experience of a poor product is just like everyone else's. Replaced a 50+ year old window. Wish I had it back. It wasn't leaking. Thought I might save some energy with a new one. Heart sick, worked and saved up money, 5000 dollars. What a waste. They changed seals. Still ice on inside, no not high humidity. What a lame excuse. Do not buy Pella!!!

I am doing some remodeling and had a French door that needed to be replaced going out to my pool. My contractor recommended Pella and everyone has heard of Pella so I agreed to use Pella. Since we were replacing one door, we decided to replace a matching French door and one other single door going out to the pool area. We placed the order in October of 2016 and I think it took 10 weeks for the doors to come in. Both of the French doors were to be identical. Both doors active on both sets. All three doors are the same height. Pella has someone from their company come out and do the measurements because we want to make sure the order is correct.

The doors come in and my contractor's guys go to install them. They don't measure the doors because they think that of course everything will be good since Pella did the measurements. So they tear out my existing doors, ruining them in the process, and lo and behold, two of the doors are 2" short! I have one set of French doors that are 81" and another that is 12" apart from it that is 79". Even the single door is wrong and is 79". We called the Pella rep out and he inspected the doors. Apologizes profusely and came back three times after that to remeasure them again!

It is now January 10th, 2017 and I can't get an update on when the new doors will be in. We just had the coldest part of the winter here in Dallas with temps going down to 13 degrees and I have three doors installed with no trim around them and leaking air like they aren't even there. I am very frustrated. I have paid through my contractor $7800.00 for these doors and can't get a word on when the new correct replacement doors will be here and my job finished. Take a guess on if I will recommend Pella to friends! Feel free to contact me. I do have a receipt or work order but I am at work and don't have it with me.

Pella aluminum clad wood doors have a serious design flaw. All wood windows and doors need to be inspected and caulked, or painted regularly. It is impossible to inspect the clad wood doors. Furthermore, Pella's main selling point is that the doors never need to be painted or caulked. Our doors have leaked between the cladding and the glass. We had no idea there was a problem until the bottom of one door had rotted through to the inside. By the time the damage became evident the doors were past the warranty period. The local Pella representative sent a salesman who gave a verbal estimate of $8400 to replace the door! Although I have asked a number of times I have not been able to get any sort of a written contract with a firm commitment.

The door with obvious damage is one of 4 adjacent doors. I asked the representative if Pella had someone who could seal the remaining doors. He said that was not something they usually did and that there was probably water in the doors so sealing was not appropriate. I imagine the remaining doors will need replacement soon. This is totally unacceptable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

I had brought two storm doors from Lowe's in 2014. I called on 12/30/2016 about my storm door when I raise the window down the net inside the window would come out on the sides. Now let me remind you I had two of these door. No small children. A rep came out from Pella put another stream in the door. He said sometime it comes out if kids push on it well I have no small kids. He put it in about a month later it started again the one at the front door I had never had a problem not even now just this side door I said it must be defective.

I had a return call back from Pella on 1/4/2017 a man name Dave never said his last name he had me opening and closing the door. Told me to push it more to the side and if the lock isn't working right take off the lock. He said I can do that myself. At that point I said all this time I've been talking on this phone you're going to tell me I can do this myself. He said he was sorry there nothing he can do. I said I would not recommend anyone to buy Pella Doors he said ok. He then said the doors was build in 2008. I didn't buy them in 2008.

I have 3 Pella sliding doors, which I installed when I built my home in 1998. In August of this year I noticed that the veneer on the lower door panel was bubbling, interfering with the sliding of the door. I removed the veneer and found that the wood panel behind it was completely rotted. Given the extent of the damage it must have started sometime ago because of a faulty seal but it was not apparent until this year. Pella claimed that since I failed to report the damage during the warranty period they would not repair the door. I provided a picture of the damage and explained I could not report this hidden damage could until it became apparent in August '16. They offered to replace it for over $2000, and since the nature of the damage in the photo was apparent offered to waive the inspection fee of $125 to confirm the damage. So much for standing behind your product.

I had a $4000 fiberglass door wall installed by Pella last year. The installation took over 6 months to complete! They did not measure properly and it took months to get in installed. At the end the installation was okay but the door does not perform. Water condensates on the door frame and even ice forms. This is a horrible product and should not be sold. Pella says they installed it properly and will not honor their warranty. I had the humidity levels checked and they are low. No water condensates on the glass, only the door frame indicating the door frame is not insulated and defective. Pella is difficult to deal with and expensive! I thought I would get a top of the line product. I did not. The salesman disappeared after he got his money. Never heard from him. I would recommend Pella to my worst enemy. Don't buy Pella. They will not help you. This has been a nightmare!

We placed an order for Pella windows and door on October 1st. Unfortunately, I lost my job, hence we called up Pella on October 4th and cancelled the order. (Installation was to be done on November 14th.) The lady who attended the call confirmed the cancellation. Payment was thru a loan from Wells Fargo. Yesterday, (November 14th) we received an invoice from Wells Fargo for first installment?! When we called Wells Fargo, we were told Pella never informed Wells Fargo about the cancellation.

They asked us to call Pella. To our surprise, as per Pella, we could only cancel installation, not the entire door?! Now, if we want to cancel the order, we must pay 50%?! This is totally unacceptable, no one informed us about this clause when we cancelled the order on October 4th. Since we have to pay 50%, we decided to go ahead with changing windows. Now, it seems they are booked for the entire month?! They take our money, even after we cancelled the order, now they are busy to come down to replace the windows?!

I had to write something since I bought Pella in 2007 with the built in shades. I bought burgundy colored and some type of synthetic plastic material. They are wonderful. Maybe it helps that the installation man was very good. I have a very old house and previously I had to constantly clean the blinds. They said I would have to clean inside occasionally and there is a way but they are sealed so well that I haven't had to dust the inside. It has been 8 years. They still look nice and the bright burgundy colored has not faded. So nice to not have to buy or clean blinds (they are built in). I am buying more if they still have them.

We begin to notice that when it rain, the water somehow made into our home (via our patio door) onto our hardwood floors in our main family room. We knew that the old builder grade basic patio door had to be replaced. With a sense of urgency, we discussed getting a new door immediately so that our hardwood floors did not sustain any water damage which would have presented a whole new set of problems. I consulted with two different window/door companies in the DFW metroplex and we selected Pella. We met with Peter (sales consultant) and ultimately chose Pella because they had a nice selection of contemporary style patio doors - just what we were looking for. Now, that part of the process went extremely smoothly and our order was placed and we were excited. The "BIG" installation day comes (Friday, 2 Sep 2016).

Pella Product: I truly feel that the door we ordered and received changed the entire look of our family room with a contemporary elegance that was lacking. I admire our new door each time I pass through our family room and I couldn't be more proud nor happier in our home. Installation: Perhaps, I should have "second guessed" an installation of our door on a holiday weekend because the installers seemed rather hurried or rushed; especially, after they realized that they had the wrong door accessories and someone had to deliver the correct ones which required the installers to be at our home much longer than they expected.

Attention to Detail: Before acknowledging that I received and accepted the final product, I took a moment to inspect the installer's workmanship and I had to point out the following to be corrected: (a) The door frame (interior) was caulked on one side, and the other side was not. Rhetorically speaking, why not "caulk" around the entire door frame for uniformity, continuity and protection. (b) Sloppiness - The excess caulk was later discovered on our hardwood floors and we had to clean up what was left behind. (c) The bottom left corner of the door was "dinged". The installer took some touch up paint to correct it and one other area of the door. Note: The installer (to me) appeared to be a bit frustrated at my keen eye which again, added to yet further delay. I'm not certain if they had another install or simply was anxious to start their long holiday weekend.

Cleanliness: My hardwood floors should have been covered all around the work area. This did not happen and my hardwood floors were left with scuffs and smudges from their boots, ladders or other equipment and tools. Note: Additional drop cloths were definitely needed. Now, literally two months later and our first measurable rain, I find a puddle of water on our hardwood floors. I was so disappointed and livid after it took them over a week to get someone out to inspect our door. So today, two Pella representatives arrived, inspected our door and performed a "water" test and again, water leaked from the bottom of the door onto our hardwood floors. They took pictures and stated that there was nothing they could do today but our door needed a new door seal and went on to say that the seal was improperly installed; again, just 2 months ago.

Further, they stated that it would take 10-15 days. I do not like confrontation but I had to interject and state as a matter of urgency, "you will instruct Pella to expedite this request for a new seal and get it installed immediately." I also instructed him to take a picture of our beautiful hardwood floors and if there is any damage to our floors between now and the time they install this new seal then Pella will pay to replace the portion damaged. I am so disappointed and so much that, I mentioned to Peter (our sales consultant) that we use Pella for new windows in 2017. Needless to say, I will not be using Pella in the future for another project nor will I recommend them to any of my family, friends and neighbors.

Pella warranties their product but not the installation due to defect. We purchased entry doors for our home and are on our third set of replacement panels. The doors have been leaking since day one causing me to have to replace our entire front sill. It costs me out of my pocket an excess of $5K to replace and repair my porch. The decorative glass windows within the door frame have fallen due to product defect, TWICE. The third time they replaced the panels the glass on the active panel leaked as if the window was open in the first rain. On top of it the two panels are different colors and Pella says they are within threshold and will not warrant replacement.

We completely redid our home and replaced every window and door with Pella products - when the location was on Route 10 in Morris Plains. 2 bay windows have never worked, are rotting, foggy, don't open. The rep from Pella told us to use silicon spray. Worse decision to use Pella windows. We are spending a tremendous amount of money to replace them with Anderson windows, from a fabulous Anderson representative. RUN from Pella.

Purchased a Pella storm door from Lowe's and paid for them to install door. Only had door for about two months and on Monday Oct. 17th, 2016, I was attempting to walk out the door to leave for work and the whole glass exploded and collapsed on me. It was the scariest thing that I had ever experienced in my life. I am not sure who to blame - Lowe's, the installer or Pella. This is so annoying. I will never purchase anything from Lowe's, or Pella in my life. I just keep thinking what if it would have been my ten year old son walking out the door for school instead of me heading out for work. Today is 10-24 and have not heard from anyone yet since the first few contacts. OMG. This is cra... SMH.. "shaking my head".

I have Pella windows and front door installed on my house which I bought 8 years ago. Recently a seal on one of the windows broke so I called Pella customer service to order a replacement. Not knowing what the seal was I spoke to the customer service and explained the issue and mentioned that it is the upper seal and I think it is the weather strip. The customer service did not explain that there are two different seals (weather and rain) and sent me a one page PDF copy asking me to confirm the order of a weather seal. The information on the document was not clear and I thought that the customer service being the expert in the windows understood what seal I wanted to order.

The next day after browsing the Pella website I discovered that I need a rain seal instead of the weather seal so I dropped an e-mail to change the order. It was a disappointment to me to discover that the order cannot be replaced even though I have asked for the change less than 24 hours from the original order. Pella customer service e-mail clearly indicates that the company is not interested in customer service but rather interested in grabbing money out of the customers. The worst customer service I have ever seen and would not recommend Pella for any person I know.

It looks like Pella has a serious quality and customer service issue; and it's true. Don't know yet about quality - yet... I need their windows first! But certainly customer service. Ordered 3 windows mid-summer. Was told they would come and would be installed August 22. One was, thankfully the larger one in front of the house. The remaining two could not be installed in the basement due to the fact that the person who had come specifically to take measurements had not taken accurate measurements. Was told pretty rudely that I would be told when replacement windows would come with no apologies, no effort to put the order at top of queue or anything.

Several week later was told they would come October 13. October 12, voice mail saying that they did not know where the windows are (!) and again, "We will let you know when we can locate them." October 16, still no news, no apologies, nothing to explain why it's taking way over 3 months to get two small windows made and installed. Extremely disappointing service.

We built in 2002 and used Pella ProLine. Nine (9) of the 23 windows in our home have evidence of sash rot or have completely failed where the hardware has been "stripped" out of the wood and can no longer be opened. Two of the four exterior doors are also rotten. I have recently tried working with Jon ** at Pella by completing their form and forwarding pictures of the damage. He suggested sending a "technician" out to our home to inspect the damage (a $99 service/inspection fee) and assess the repair costs. He claims the damage is outside Pella's 10 year parts warranty so any replacement parts will not be covered.

Who buys a premium-priced window product and doesn't expect it to last well beyond the warranty period? Why does a company such as Pella not do for others as they would want done unto themselves, instead of merely an obligation to their shareholders? By working with individual homeowners to remedy the known issues would be far less expensive than settling a class action suit, not to mention saving some grace with their brand. Obviously, very disappointed in Pella and will never consider purchasing or endorsing their products. Just another example of poor management and corporate greed instead of doing what is right and ethical for the people that once trusted their products and brand. Please do contact me with any questions about this matter.

Would give this product and company a zero rating if it were possible. Our contractor used Pella windows when building our house. Within 4 years the windows started to slowly rot. Pella did come out and did provide some windows... our cost to paint and install. Within the next several years we were sustaining failure on most of the 45 windows. Again Pella came out and tried to avoid replacing many of the windows. My husband (an engineer) pointed out that there was clearly a systemic manufacturing defect with our Pella windows and that they should replace all the windows as they would all most likely rot within the next several years.

They did provide over 20 new sashes (not the full window), however at our own cost for installation and painting. We recently decided to change the front entry way which had a flat roof faux balcony and a Pella palladium window above. When the workmen were ripping down the existing structure they found major water damage to the wall under the rotten base of the window... clearly a defective window AGAIN. The damage and cost of a new window is estimated to be in excess of $5,000. Why can't the supposed "Best windows in the industry" actually work? Be warned... Pella windows will only bring you major additional cost, unnecessary hassle and much misery! So hating Pella right now!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

I called Pella this morning to order a replacement mortise lock for my storm and was told that there was a 30-minute wait until I could talk to someone. The other option was to leave a message and someone would return my call. It's about 6 hours later and no one has called. Since that didn't work, I followed their automated instructions and went to the storm door website to enter the registration number of the door that I need parts for. When I entered the number, I received the message "no results". I am sure that Pella doesn't care, but this was my last Pella purchase. If I cannot get replacement parts, then there is no value in the purchase.

We just had the glass in a sliding glass door in the middle of the night explode and crumble into a million pieces on the inside of the door. All of our windows which are Pella have had problems. We have also had rude and unprofessional Pella people to deal with. Not worth the money. Just not a good product of well run company.

DO NOT BUY PELLA! We have replaced all our windows and two sliding patio units in our current home. We did all the replacements on our own with the help of a contractor until these last two. A very large living room window was replaced but not without problems. The subcontractors who Pella contracted to do the window did not protect any of our floors, furniture, etc. In fact they didn't have enough ladders and materials to do the work and we had to supply that too. The walls were scuffed and our new carpet had drywall dust and dirt tracked onto it. I had a mess to clean up when they left, very unacceptable.

The workmanship was horrendous. We had to have the installation supervisor come back to repair the damage to our siding and to tear out all the interior trim and then have it replaced because the subcontractors did not secure the rosette and it fell off and the adjoining trim popped loose and the sill was very loose as well. We finally got that problem solved and are satisfied with the outcome.

Now let's talk about the two awning windows that were installed in our foyer. We are not satisfied in the least and to date this has not been resolved. The Supervisor has taken over and is in charge of fixing the problem. The sashes were the wrong ones from the start so they ordered the correct ones and said that they should be able to replace the sashes with no problem... Well yes there is a big problem because the windows were improperly installed so looking at them from the outside, it slants to one side because it isn't square. The Supervisor did bring the new sashes to replace the incorrect ones and said that he tried to square up the window the best he could. Well by doing so, the new sashes did not fit the windows so another problem. He said that the entire window needs to be taken out and re-installed and made square.

The appointment was made today to finish this project and once again, the window is still not installed properly and needs to be re-installed. He did not take out the window to fix it, instead he made some adjustments and now at least the sashes open and close but the window is not square and when I hung the curtain it is very obvious that the window slants. The reveal of the trim on either side is not even. Now this project began in July and this is the end of September and still not resolved. Another problem was that we needed a window that opens and the salesman said no problem, he will be sure that we can open the window from the balcony where we need to stand to reach the window.

Another problem because the replacement window doesn't have the crank at the bottom where we can reach it but it located about 10" on the side and we cannot reach to open the windows. We have been talking to Pella about having a crank fabricated so we can open the window, of course this should not be at our expense since this was another mistake on their part. Tonight we are told that Pella is offering us a $500 compensation for all this mess. They are absolutely out of touch with the dissatisfaction of their handling of this entire project. We seem to be heading down the path to taking legal action to resolve this.

I have had Pella windows and doors in three different locations. I have had the same issues with all three locations. A terrible customer service experience and they do not back their products. Each time I've had an issue I get the same response, "we don't make the parts or replacements for that anymore". In my opinion, if you have a good product it should be 'backed' for more than 4 years. No further explanation, or help, has been given. I haven't even had someone try to sell me replacements. That says to me that the Pella employees aren't even happy with Pella. I hated even giving them one star!

My door was beautiful when I purchased it. It has three flowers down the front. I don't know if they are made of glass or plastic. Little by little they started to fall off and landed right in front of the door where you come in. We were afraid one of the kids would step on it and cut their feet. My husband is now chipping the rest of it off so we don't have any accidents. This is not the door I wanted (plain). We are very disappointed in the quality of the way it was made. This should not be happening. This is a Pella door and we paid more for it, because we believed in Pella. It was purchased in Lowe's, Project # **, Glass Design / Expression Series Glass, Model Pellas Select 6000 Black Scroll Lever ESH 8, Part # 90567 91296 90999. I gave you all the info I have, hoping you can help me in some way. Also not long after I got this the handle turned color. My husband just cut his finger on the pieces. This stuff is just flying all over.

I purchased a home in 2005. The previous owners had purchased all new pella wood frame windows directly from the company. Within 3 years they were leaking and finish was flaking off now. They are in such now. They are so bad every window in the house needs replaced.

We have a triple window, two windows (casement) opening. They were installed - bought from Foxworth Galbraith (Silver City, NM) 9 years ago for a new build construction. Over that time we have had breakages from bird strikes. The last one cost us over $550 for a Pella "expert" (nonsense) from Las Cruces to come and replace a pane.

We have another broken pane (outer one only) BUT we also have two rotten wooden window frames. The outer frame is fine, it is the actual window where the wood has rotted... Why? Because, as our builder explained, the aluminum outer covering is not siliconed to the window, allowing rain water to get behind the aluminum and rot the frame wood! BAD design.

Now, I have a choice to make... as I am sure Pella won't honor any guarantee. (Last time I called Pella no one gave a damn at the extortionate price to replace a pane). Cost? $1600 - but in the long term perhaps worth it. Get the idea we're already angry with Pella? After the Las Cruces extortionate pricing, is anyone surprised?

We bought these windows, when we built our new home 10 years ago from Pella. They have been nothing but problems from the day they came. I believe defective would be the correct word. 6 of the 20 windows have been repaired and we have 2 more to fix. These are double hung windows, which Pella claims the pin in the mechanism is defective. They none have a stronger 1 to replace it with. But not as a recall, they charge $150.00 to send someone out and then and additional charge after the first hour. Plus 2 days waiting time for them to come fix them.

The window will not close, therefore I have a towel in the window to keep the heat out while the central air is on. Winter time they frost up and even become icy. Probably end up with wood rot because of it. I try to wash my windows inside and out once a year but right now I'm afraid to open any of them because they may not shut and then wait for someone to service them. I would never purchase these windows again. Bad call by contractor. Also we were told they only carry a 2-year warranty and the fact. I hate to think what these windows will be in 20 years if they even last that long.

We've ordered Patio doors and a Front door In April 2016. Installation schedule for May 24, did not happen. Rescheduled June 15 did not happen (We were out of town until end July). Rescheduled August 5 they have started the installation, could not complete, wrong window delivered. Rescheduled August 31. Received a phone call today that they can only complete the installation in October!!! They don't seem to care at all. They just tell you "this is the situation there is nothing we can do"!!! Never again Pella!!

I'm so disappointed in what I thought was a great American company and the way they've handled replacements. My house is only 15 years old, and we got a paltry 30% discount for rotten windows, well over half of all the many windows installed. Two of the windows were large three pane or "picture windows" and came without "fins", which took six weeks to arrive! I'm still living with one window installed with plastic up on the outside until the contractor can come back out to finish. Their customer service is terrible, and it couldn't be more obvious that they are sales focused and not customer focused. Terrible experience!!

The service is very poor. If you try to use a different company, getting a quote from Pella for parts has taken 4 weeks and delivery of the parts will take another 4+ weeks. I believe Pella includes this delay to protect their service business. The windows are good, but service and replacement parts are terrible. I would not purchase Pella windows again.

We purchased a Pella Sliding Door because we believed them to be the best. Now 4 years later the door had started being very hard to open and close and now is very difficult to close! I noticed a piece of rubber sticking out between the two door frames. I called today to have the door serviced. She said that sounds like the weather stripping.Today is July 26. The first available service appointment is not until August 31! Then I'm told, "let me go over the fees so you won't be shocked." I said "what are you talking about? It has a lifetime warranty." I hear, "yes the door but you have to pay $168 for them to come out and $108 an hour for them to repair the door!!"

What kind of warranty is that? Who makes $108 an hour??? Who charges $168 just to come out? I was told "well, if you know the parts we can just order them!" I am SERIOUSLY SHOCKED to think a company that one would believe has a good reputation this is how they operate! I guess the plan is to gouge you to start with and continue to gouge you with the labor cost! Oh, the door is fine we just OVERCHARGE for everything else. Oh and by the way NO ONE but Pella can touch the door or it voids the warranty! Probably cheaper to do that!

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

Pella has a 90-year history of designing and building high-quality, energy-efficient windows and doors. The company has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year nine times, most recently in 2016.

• Extreme commitment to sustainability: Pella not only sells energy-efficient products but also constantly tests new products and new technology to make products even more sustainable.
  • Custom shapes available: Pella builds aluminum-clad wood windows, vinyl windows and fiberglass windows Pella will also customize products to meet customers’ needs. The company also makes wood, fiberglass and steel entry doors; French doors; sliding, bifold and multi-panel patio doors; storm doors; and garage doors.
  • Online guides available: Customers can watch videos or read blogs to help them get design ideas and get started purchasing doors and windows.
  • Installation and service help: Customers can schedule a service visit online if they need help with their products.
  • Custom product creation: Users can create a custom door or window using this company's online design tool to choose materials, colors, shapes and sizes.
  • Best for Pella is best for people who are environmentally conscious and want to purchase high-quality windows and doors.

Compare Windows & Doors