1.45/5
Based on 64 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 5, 2018

542 Pella Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 5, 2018

I just built a new house with 27 windows. 26 were Pella windows. I purchased these because of Pella’s reputation of being a quality window and the performance rating for these windows had a U factor of 0.30 or better. I felt cold drafts coming from all 26 windows, so I used an IR thermal scanner to see where drafts were coming from. They were leaking around the glass and the window frames and frames to the jams.

I contacted my salesman and he said I could purchase an enhancement kit for $20 per window, which was weather stripping. The enhancement kit directions didn’t even cover where the air was leaking the most, all 4 corners of the lower window where there was 3/8” to 1/4” gaps in weather stripping. I spent over $7300 for the windows. The 27th window was a bow window I purchased at Bargain Outlet for $600, which was $ 700 cheaper than Pella’s and does not have nearly the air loss that the Pella’s do. I am very disappointed in the quality of the windows.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Ordered windows and installation from Pella. Some measurements were wrong. Final installation was delayed for four months, neighbors garage access were blocked for days. Work was done poorly (not according to agreement). Two months after final installation two windows are leaking, damaging ceiling and walls. Called for repair, two weeks later appointment given (installation problems were acknowledged by tech) then complete silence from Pella Service. Five weeks later no attempt to address the issues were made, customer service unable to help, non-responsive. Stuck with leaking windows and water damage. Need to move forward hiring help to prevent massive structural and property damage. My recommendation; don't deal with Pella, they project a reliable company image. Nothing backs the customer, no one to turn to.

Get expert buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2018

My wife & I don't have much bad to say about the front door that Pella installed. Then again for the money it costs we better not. The issue is we had a storm door that was not even 2 yrs. old and costs us $1900.00. Pella had two people measure the existing storm door, including the project manager/Pella Specialist. Both of them knew we wanted to keep this storm door. It was even written up on the work order to replace the existing storm door. The installers came, replace my encasement and front door, however this is where everything goes south. He tells me when he tried to install the storm door that it's about 1/4" too wide! Old carpenters rule of thumb, measure 2 times, cut once? NOT!!!

They want to help by us going to Lowe's and buying a cheap storm door for about $350 and they will install it or buy a Pella door and get 50% off. Off what they give no prices. Oh remember the $1900 storm door that now sits in our garage? Hello. I have called the manager 2 times and no return call. Emailed them, and once in a while I get a person who sends a email that says they have escalated the message to upper authorities. I feel sick. As I'm writing this I am looking at their brochure and it say, "Enjoy CONFIDENCE in a job done right." Please!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I had to have the locks changed on my Pella Patio Doors. There is apparently an adjustment to the lock mechanism that controls height and it is now sitting too low. However, there is no longer a sales and service office in our area and the office 1-1/2 hours away referred the call to an office 3 hours away and that took nearly two weeks, though their voicemail says 48 hours. So I was told it would cost almost $300 for someone to come here and fix it. They were supposed to call me "right back" and here we are over a week later.

I've sent complaints to Pella customer service and they told me to call the people in Maryland back. Why would I have to call them again? Why won't they call customers? Why won't they call back when you DO call them? Why is there nothing useful on the Pella site to help an owner fix their own doors, if Pella won't do it? I want the technical information to make my own repair. And I want Pella to stop marketing to people living in areas they refuse to provide customer support to. It's a scam otherwise.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Bought windows from Pella. Windows were incorrectly installed, metal capping is too high and the caulking is allowing water to come inside and ruin the wall. I was informed that I had a ten year warranty. Upon review, I was informed there is nothing they can do since I am outside of my two year warranty. This is the worse service ever. I would never use or recommend this company to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Bought my front door unit from Pella. The door has popped out on both inside and outside and rotten wood is falling out from behind the laminate/fake wood exterior panel. I received a discount on the unit when I purchased it, because it was sized wrong and didn't fit the home it was intended for. They will not honor the 10 year warranty because I received it at a discounted rate. Are you kidding me?? Brand new unit not guaranteed because I bought it at a reduced rate. Their people sized it wrong for someone else and would have had to trash it. If I would have known it was not covered under the warranty I can assure you I would have never bought it. Never ever use Pella Windows and Doors!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018 My Pella door is 9 years old and has a small crack on the exterior side. Bottom of door appears to be rotting out. Pella had a contractor contact me at a cost to me
for $175 to evaluate for Pella before they would honor a partial warranty so we are stuck at that point where they say I have to pay for their person to check the door. I had agreed to pay for the labor to replace the door and they would provide the door. My 2 Stanley doors are 20 and 30 years old with no sign of wear to the doors. Just know I am going back to Stanley doors. The sad part is I only replaced the door for a different design. Also please note there is a gutter over the door

now this is a 32 inch exterior door so it looks like by the time I would pay for their warranty check and etc. I could almost buy a new Stanley door.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

14 of my Pella Proline windows rotted. All had to be replaced. Cost $22000. 5 Proline Casement Windows did not rot. Pella just announced settling class action but only on casement windows. Smart Pella lawyers put maneuvered Clifford law who did receive $9,000,000 for not representing us! Don't buy Pella.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Had 2 large sliding Pella Impervia Series 2 yrs/3 months ago installed in my family room. I just saw that there is mold growing in the lower glazing bead on the fixed window. I am 71 yr old woman who lost husband 3 years ago, Pella said my labor warranty expired and this glazing bed defect is not covered anyway! They told me to go outside and pop the glazing bead off and clean it and pop it back on! Option pay 150.00 for a tech to come out and clean it. Quality terrible on brand new windows... and could happen with other window! Sorry I chose this company.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We installed Pella windows with the blinds and shades in the glass. They immediately showed that they were worth the investment. Very weathertight and kept my children's rooms dark with the room darkening shades while they were sleeping in the morning. I had Pella install the windows and have had no problems at all. Very impressed.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

We originally called Pella and they sent a commission based representative out who was great, knowledgeable and easy to work with. We ended up buying 2 doors. One for about $11k and the other for about $3.5k. One of the doors was apparently going to need to have the jam reframed and I was told I could pay the installation contractor cash, which would be cheaper than through Pella. They were going to have to demo the existing, reframe and move electrical. I agreed to pay the $400 cash for such work.

We waited 8 weeks or so for the doors to arrive and install them, which was not a problem at all and it was represented at the point of sale. It turned out the door needing to be reframed, didn't have to be resized or have the electrical moved. I was still asked to pay a discounted $300 which I thought was unacceptable since the dramatic reframe didn't actually take place but I paid it to avoid confrontation with the contractors who had access to my entire house for the day. I let it go. Upon further inspection of the French doors, myself, the sales guy and installer all agreed that the condition was less than acceptable for such a "superior" product.

At this point, I didn't have a problem. Things happen. I'm in a similar industry and know these kind of things can take place. They reordered the doors and 8 weeks later came back out to install the new panels of the doors. They we're also, unacceptable to the installer. I was told they were worse than the original ones installed. We have now waited another 6 weeks without a word from anyone until I called yesterday. The operator was uncaring of such a frustrated client who had anticipated replacing about 60 windows and 15 doors in my 5000 sq ft house with Pella. No apology, no sense of care. I don't trust the newest doors and there isn't anything I can do, no incentive for them to do anything since they have been paid. Beware. The doors seem to be great quality and the sales process was easy, but god forbid you have an issue. You won't feel like it was money well spent.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

We put Pella replacement windows in our home about 10 years ago and have had a lot of trouble with moisture collecting on inside and mold. Whenever we have asked about it, we are always given an excuse about humidity. Yet our old windows never did this. You can feel the cold coming through. Mold grows from condensation. These were a grade above the standard windows and have the blinds inside the windows which also is a problem...because when the string holding blinds together breaks, we have found out that can’t be fixed either. I don’t understand why they don’t stand behind their product! Such a shame. We used to think it was one of the best but not true. Will probably be replacing them again with something else.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Ice around all windows cold air coming in. I have tried everything. No humidifiers going even though it's below zero. We have contacted pella 3 times to no avail for the 10 years we have lived here since we bought this new $800,000 house. Never ever use Pella. Very bad company, and to think they are Iowan company.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I received a house full of defective windows and Pella replace 7 of them due to mold attaching to the glazing putty. Now the rest of the original windows are having the same problem but Pella will not stand behind their product. Do yourself a favor and buy Marvin or Anderson windows. Don’t trust this company.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have been through one year of trying to work with Pella now. They keep you on the hook as long as they can, working hard to accommodate you. Then you get passed from salesperson to salesperson due to high turnover and volatility within the company. The prices change constantly and at the end you have no idea how you got there. I've dealt with three associates and one manager and each one tells me how the "past employee" did something wrong and now I have to pay for it. Talk about a "scapegoat" scheme.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Water leaks, wind leaks and this product failure ruined all the finish and wood moldings and saddle. Took over 1 yr for a response to the original complaint. Came back and put silicone caulking on the glazed panel to stop that. Then replaced the operating panel. Took three times to get one that fit. Now it's cold and windy and I'm watching my winter drapes being blown in the wind entering through the door seals. Four days now trying to contact Pella, and no response. Spent a lot of extra money for architectural triple pane so I would save on heating bills. Now I have at least 800 cfm leaking in from door like having the AC on. COSTING ME A FORTUNE TO HEAT because of my window and door choice. Had other issues with other items in the window and door pkg received. Some were resolved by Pella. Problems that didn't they ignored.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Before you purchase a Pella Product, Please Read. Both Pella Full View Storm Doors, during the Winter Season, stay dripping wet on inside all day & all night. I squeegee at least a cup+ of water from each daily. Basically I told more air needs to circulate around doors-to open a window for more air flow! Also gold tone French door handles are tarnished-or losing the gold tone & look like an old dirty iron pipe. I am to receive a new handle-could not find mfg. # on older front door, so it will continue to look ugly. I will never again purchase any product from Pella.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I purchased a 9x7, 2 layers insulated garage door. The hinges have failed. Instantly. One snapped in half. As I research Pella is using under grade hinges. I assume to save Pella $$. No matter if doors fails or screws over consumer. I was able to get 3 middle hinges so far. They're universal. And stronger. Now the 6 side hinges able to hold roller. And right fit and size. Sick. You buy a garage door and last thing you want is to have to replace their parts.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

In order to get a replacement from Pella they expect me a 72 year old to; Pay $30.00 for shipping charge to get the door delivered, take off the hardware from the old door and put it on the delivered door, take the old door off the hinges and put the new door with the old hardware up. If I have to pay for installation they will reimburse me for a grand total of $25.00. To me this is ridiculous!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

In June I ordered Pella patio doors - in August they installed 4 panel pocket doors in my home. They were delivered, installed and then they called and told me the glass thickness did not meet Sumter County standards. They said they would replace at their expense (additional $6,000 cost). On 10/26 they replaced the doors that do not fit in the tracks (they rock back and forth and slam into each other and the handle are so loose that you can still move them back and forth when they are locked). The installer told me they were wrong and someone would contact me. The last correspondence I received was "I am very sorry for the inconvenience with the recovery. My manager already contacted our vendor to find out what happened with the panel. I should have an update for you soon." I have heard nothing.

They were paid back in June from Wells Fargo where I financed. I am currently making payments on a product they have been paid in full for and are unsatisfactory. Additionally, they cut into the trim around the door and have not repaired the damage. There is exposed insulation, they are not sealed and the hot/cold air comes into the house. I still have an outstanding (open) permit and a Notice of Commencement on file with the County. The cost of the doors are $9, 840.00.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I put up an office building 30 years ago. There must be about 60 windows in this building. What the architect didn't tell us is that he got a commission from Pella for each window he put in. That's on top of what we paid the architect! The screws to the hardware are short and the hardware keeps falling out. The insulation on the windows comes apart and you can't get a hold of the parts department to get parts. They keep disconnecting you when you call. And if you leave a message, they never get back to you! THERE ARE SO MANY BETTER WINDOWS OUT THERE, DON'T BUY PELLA WINDOWS!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Pella installed new windows in our house but the window can't open. Why?? You might ask... No handle. And it is going to take 6 WEEKS after the installation to get a handle. They are very quick to do the deal, promise you the earth but CANNOT deliver. The salesperson has got his commission - have not heard from him (Jason **). The company have got their money - what do they care?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I bought $35,000.00 worth of Pella Windows and Doors when my house was built. The exterior vinyl clad skin on an entry door has separated from the insulation. I hadn't noticed it, however it was pointed out to me by a painter when I was having the door painted, so I don't know how long it has been like this. I called customer service today and was informed that it was not covered under the warranty. I didn't move in to this house until April of 2008, however the builder had purchased the windows in March of 06. Consequently the door is not covered. I've had numerous problems over the years with windows and doors and I strongly advise everyone to buy another brand. I'm 68 years old and this is the seventh house we've had built over the years and the first time we ever used Pella.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We bought our new windows and front door 11 years ago. The guy who we worked with was awesome, the installation and everything since has been an absolute nightmare. They didn't insulate the windows AT ALL, so they were very drafty, and when my husband hosed off the front of the house the water came in through the kitchen window and soaked the floor. I lost count as to how many times they came back to correct problems. Then our front door... again, back too many times to count.

Now, the storm door is locked shut, and one of our windows won't open. Safety issue! My husband finally had to remove the glass so we could open the front door. When I called for a repair, I was told that I could schedule that with Lowe's. Um, no, we bought the door and windows through Pella, not Lowe's. I was transferred to someone else who told me a technician would call me within 3-5 days to schedule an appointment. She never even asked me what the problem was. Pella makes a beautiful product, but for the money we've spent and all the trouble we've been through I would not recommend them to anyone else.

Updated on 12/04/2017: I was told the part was ordered on November 10th (when it was paid for!). I've called back 3 times to find out when it was shipping. Mind you, we still can't open the storm door. I was told each time they are waiting for the shipping info from their 3rd party vendor who supplies the locks. On Friday 12/1, after hearing the same thing, I spoke to a "supervisor" who said he would look into it, and call me back. Big surprise - no phone callback. I called again today and was told it was just ordered on Friday 12/1 for direct shipment to my house. So I've pretty much been lied to this whole time. So done with Pella. I would never recommend them to anyone else.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Hello, My husband and I are building a house and have put Pella windows in on the advice of our Contractor. We ended up being over budget by $9,000.00. When looking at the cost of each window we noticed that the builder's name was listed on the Pella sheet as the salesman. I would think that this would be a conflict of interest. We were told we could save a lot of money on the windows as the contractor would pass on the savings to us. I have not been able to find out online the cost to the contractor for the windows so have no idea if any of this so-called savings is being passed on to us.

We had a special order window that we were told was very expensive but never told the actual price until after it was installed. This small 2' x 3' window cost us over $1800.00, any ideas as to how we can find out if we are being taken advantage of? Do we have a right to know what the contractor's price is? Has anyone ever gotten help from Pella with this kind of problem? Any information, experience or legal would be appreciated.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Don't trust these people when they feed you the line about getting your job installed. The sales guy Jacob does his closing job and then it falls apart. I've now had a second install date canceled having organized my work week around them. They say the door handles are not it. They've had 10 weeks to get these in. Maybe other window companies are as bad but Pella leaves a lot to be desired.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My screen to the sliding glass doors was completely off track. This is the wind up type screen. Called for appointment on Wednesday and the repair was done on Friday. The service tech's name was John. He called to confirm the appointment the day before and texted me on his way to my house. He was very polite and cordial introducing himself with very good representation for Pella. He was very knowledgeable and efficient in the repair. I highly recommend John. It was also good news to find out that my repair service was covered under warranty.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

A Bunch of Scammers! I purchased Pella windows for my new home in 2002. Two of the window's sashes have crumbled into a pile of rotted wood. Several of the other windows are showing signs of rotting out. Pella sent a rep to my house and he recommended 7 windows should be replaced. A week later I get an estimate in the mail from Pella offering to replace the sashes of all 7 windows at MY expense! They said the 10 yr warranty had expired, but they will give me 25% off the replacement windows. Wow! How thoughtful of them! I read the class action lawsuits against Pella & they have thousands of people who's window sashes have rotted out from a faulty window design. Do Not buy Pella windows! They take your money and run!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I ordered a $9000.00 Pella double french door from Lowe's in Cotati Ca. After a long wait time to set up the install Pella sent the wrong size door to Lowe's and I had to wait another 2 weeks for the correct doors to arrive. The installation crew was great. No problems with them. At the end of the installation they couldn't find the locks for the door because they didn't send any. The crew notified Lowe's to overnight me the locks.

While cleaning up I noticed there was paint and smudges inside the double glass. The next Monday one lock arrives for my double door. I have to wait 3 weeks for the locks to finally come-3 weeks of wrapping a chain around my door every time I have to leave the house. I write to Pella about the paint and dirt inside the double glass - bottom line they don't really care about it.

I send the information to Lowe's and have not heard back from them. I think it was Lowe's fault. The locks didn't get ordered correctly but Pella is responsible for the other fiascos especially the paint and dirt inside the glass. This is supposed to be a quality company-you would think they would offer something to help fix the situation.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

We built our home in 1997 and put used Pella Windows for all windows and doors. We were told by our builder that they were the best. In 5-8 years, several of the casement windows needed to be replaced - We contacted the builder and they coordinated with Pella to do the replacements under warranty. We were told the windows were under warranty for 10 years. In the ensuing years, we saw several of the windows that had been replaced, rot and require replacement again. There was a class action suit against Pella a few years ago - while we were working with the local Pella store to get our windows replaced (Again!), we were told that Pella could not honor the warranty and that our claims had to be filed as part of the class action suit.

We filed our claim which was very difficult by the way - we had to provide serial numbers on casement windows that were unreadable and other information that was not available - clearly slanted to make it difficult to file a claim. So, naturally, our claim was denied. So we are screwed, again. The Pella windows were defective - they rotted and it is unbelievable to me that a window manufacturer should expect windows to be replaced not once but twice over a 20 year span. I don't know that Marvin or Anderson are better but I will certainly find out. Pella's local reps contacted me and told me they were going to work with us but they lost interest. Good luck but I would avoid Pella at all cost! When I replace these windows it will not be with Pella.

Pella expert review by Joseph Truini

Pella has a 90-year history of designing and building high-quality, energy-efficient windows and doors. The company has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year nine times, most recently in 2016.

• Extreme commitment to sustainability: Pella not only sells energy-efficient products but also constantly tests new products and new technology to make products even more sustainable.

• Custom shapes available: Pella builds aluminum-clad wood windows, vinyl windows and fiberglass windows Pella will also customize products to meet customers’ needs. The company also makes wood, fiberglass and steel entry doors; French doors; sliding, bifold and multi-panel patio doors; storm doors; and garage doors.

• Online guides available: Customers can watch videos or read blogs to help them get design ideas and get started purchasing doors and windows.

• Installation and service help: Customers can schedule a service visit online if they need help with their products.

• Custom product creation: Users can create a custom door or window using this company's online design tool to choose materials, colors, shapes and sizes.

• Best for: Pella is best for people who are environmentally conscious and want to purchase high-quality windows and doors.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Pella Company Information