2. Homeowners

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Take a Windows & Doors Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Pella Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Our between the glass blinds are approximately 9 years old. The strings to raise the blinds have started failing. After reaching out to Pella, we were told that they don't have any parts to support 9 year old blinds. We were able to finally pry some lift string out of their greedy hands, but we noticed a 10 cent part at the bottom of the blinds was also broken. We were then told that they won't sell us the 10 cent part, but offered to make new blinds for us at a cost of $700. They can make new blinds that they don't support, using a 10 cent part that is all we needed. Just a warning to people thinking about Pella... dont. They will gladly take your money, but when it comes to help after the install, there is none. Well, they will help you, as long as you open your wallet again.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

We had been looking to replace our front door for some time and we met with a few different companies to discuss a replacement. Greg from Pella met with us to discuss our options and based on our positive experience with him we decided to move forward with Pella. This was in mid-June of 2020 and marks the end of any positive experience that we had with Pella.

Our install was scheduled for early September but was then re-scheduled for late September. It was then pushed back multiple times into November. Various excuses (COVID, delays at the factory, shipping difficulties) were given. This alone would've been enough to warrant a negative experience, but there was much more to come. Our door was finally scheduled for install in mid-November. However, upon attempting to install the door, the install crew found defects both in craftsmanship and cosmetics. In their words, it never should've left the factory in Iowa. Considering our old door had been removed and disposed of, they installed the partially defective door with the intent of ordering a new one.

The folks at Pella told us that they would do everything possible to expedite the creation and shipment of a new door. We were hoping for a couple weeks, especially considering how many times they'd already re-scheduled. The best they could do was the end of December. End of December - we are at the six-month mark. Pella calls and states the door didn't make the shipment. We're LIVID and ready to cancel. We then speak with a sales manager who assures us our door will arrive in the next shipment at the end of January. End of January. The day before the scheduled install, we receive a call stating that they need to push our install date back a day because the door needs touch-ups. Not thrilled that it wasn't more thoroughly inspected before leaving Iowa.

Door is installed at the end of January, somewhat sloppily (see photos). There are caulking and painting errors that will need to be touched up - this should've been inspected and caught by a supervisor. Our porch lightbulb was broken in the process, and the glass was only cleaned up after we brought it to the installers' attention. Pella also had to send a technician back in the following days to address an issue with the hinges. The icing on the cake was being sent a final invoice that was $300 over what we had been told our final amount due was. Yes, it was an error, but in typical Pella fashion, it again demonstrated a lack of attention to detail.

In hindsight, it was a big mistake to hire Pella for this job. Yes, they attempted to make up for the multiple issues throughout the process with discounts, etc. But there comes a time when the project should be finished and finished up to a certain standard. Seven-plus months is MUCH too long, and I'm not sure that they ever met that certain standard. Lesson learned.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I purchased 20 windows from Pella and after a few years I see that they are very poor quality window. They allow wind and air leakage, listening to them howl is horrible. Also, the locking on them is very difficult. Lastly, the mechanism to pull out the windows to clean is very difficult to do. I now have found out they do not stand behind their windows. After 10 years the warranty will not cover any of this to be fixed. I have Anderson Eagle windows that were installed at the same time and they are awesome, have had no problems with them. I should have installed all Anderson not knowing that Pella would not stand behind their product.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

My husband and I contacted Pella windows and doors in the Lutherville, Timonium area so we could set up a consultation to get them to come out to our home so that we could see what they have as far as their selection of storm doors. We were told that they only handle corporations and that made us feel like we are not important enough. They referred us to either Home Depot or Lowe's instead. They also had no problem insulting us by saying, "Well our storm doors run about $1800.00,' which by the way we never did ask about the price only about their types of doors and of course the installation. Apparently they have so much business going on in this pandemic that's going on that nothing concerns them about that company going under as unfortunately so many others have.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I purchased a 3/4 decorative glass window with sidelight entry door about 2014. Beautiful door and nice glass design, however, October 2020 I noticed the the window in the door has shifted downward and light was showing through the top of the glass frame. I have called Pella support and they put me in contact with a service representative in my area. I have contacted that service representative several times and sent pictures of the problem. I was told that this particular glass design is not available and I would have to select another design.

The gap between the glass frame and the top of the door is getting larger. I and my wife have called, emailed, and texted the Pella service representative several times. Initially we were communicating with the representative but now we are getting no response. Email have gone unanswered, phone calls go to voice messaging with no call back, and text messages are ignored. I am now very concerned about this issue not being corrected.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I purchased a sliding Pella door in 2016. In November of 2020 BOTH door windows started to leak from under the glass part. Pella informed me labor is not covered after 2 years but parts are. They gave me a company to have my repairs done by, I called them they charged me 195.00 plus tax to tell me that they have seen this multiple times with this exact door and that PELLA is well aware this door is faulty. Now this repair place is wanting to charge $195. per man hour to repair this door. I don't understand why if they know that there is a problem with the way the door is made, why keep making it? PELLA is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. I have Andersen windows for 30 years and have never had a problem. I will have them repaired but will also be contacting a Lawyer. One other thing, why is Pella not accredited by the BBB, goes to show you they don't want anyone to see their bad ratings.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

We had a sales rep come out to our house as we wanted new picture windows. Super nice guy. We gave him a deposit of just over $2700. About 2 weeks later Order Verifiers came to look at what needs to be done and concluded that what we wanted was not possible due to structural issues. We were told we would get our deposit returned. We have called the sales rep weekly who occasionally returns the call and said he was following up with accounting. Nothing. We contacted the better business bureau who said they contacted Pella but still nothing. While we understand that covid has interrupted and delayed many services this is going a bit too far. I would not recommend this company at all as we feel our money has been stolen, maybe not intentionally but they have made no effort whatsoever to address this issue.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I read many of these reviews while the Pella installers were installing my new French doors and new window. It would seem that the company and the installers are no good based on all of the negative reviews. This is probably due to the fact that only angry, upset or disappointed people take time to write reviews (I'm guilty as well of this). I thought I would take a few minutes and share my experience, because it wasn't negative.

I have just completed a major renovation of the entire 1st floor of my home. I have brand new porcelain wood-look tile floors and new, expensive, cherry kitchen cabinets. I did much of the renovation myself. My plan was to have the door and window installed before the cabinets but after the floor were finished, but it didn't work out that way. The Window over the kitchen sink and the kitchen door were replaced last, after everything was finished. I was nervous that the installers might mess something up in my brand new kitchen. I sat at the table at the end of the room and watched the installers all day to make sure nothing was damaged, and nothing was.

The installers were Hispanic, all 3 of them. Only one of them spoke or understood English, which is disappointing (but that's another conversation). The person who spoke English was the lead and was the most skilled craftsman of the three. All three were courteous and professional. They arrived in the earlier part of the timeframe that was provided and they were ready to get right to work. Though it would have been easier on them to bring things through the house, they chose to bring everything needed around to the back outside. Anytime any of them entered my home they wore booties over their boots to protect my floors. They also used at least a half dozen fabric and plastic drop clothes to protect my floors and cabinets. Everything I was concerned about was protected, and I didn't have to say anything.

They needed to remove an existing window and an existing sliding glass door. The window came out fairly easily, but the door was more challenging. They were very good about keeping their work area clean. After removing the door and window they carefully measured and modified the rough openings to properly accept the new window and door. They discovered a problem with the previous door installation which presented a challenge in installing the new door. (In my house nothing is easy, ever). They presented the issue to me and a proposed resolution. I agreed with their evaluation and resolution and instructed them to proceed. This says that even if I wasn't there, they would have identified the problem, properly evaluated it and employed an acceptable resolution. The methods and practices they used were spot on, just like Mike Holmes would do or like you would see on "This Old House".

They installed a moisture barrier on the bare wood, shimmed everything off during installation and used spray foam to fill in and insulate the gap. Then the installed trim and added a sill to the kitchen window. None of my existing windows have sills. It's a nice touch. The finish work looks very nice. They caulked and painted everything. It looks perfect. Outside they bent and installed custom aluminum door trim that integrated with my existing siding. They caulked and weatherproofed it, and it looks great. It actually started to rain (it's January in the Mid-Atlantic region) and they kept on working.

My only real complaint is that the rain kept them from being able to sweep up all of the sawdust that they created on my deck and patio, but that's not their fault. The installer took the time to show me how the door and window operate, gave me some maintenance tips and answered my questions. What more could I want? So there you have it. I would be the first to rip someone if they did a bad job. My guys did a really nice job. Just as good as, if not better than, I would do myself. I hope you have a similar experience.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

As I’m standing by my window air is gushing in. It will blow out a lighter. Also these have to be the cheaper made screens I’ve ever had. I will never purchase this product again. I made several attempts through Pella about the drafts but never heard from the company. We paid a much higher price thinking we were getter a quality triple pane window. My sister bought new window from a local company. Paid half or more than half and no drafts, screens are great and they have a security lock so the windows can be opened but only about 3 inches. You can turn these feature off. And her screens are made better. Mine has several holes after 3 months and more now. We got our windows at the same time, hers still have no flaws in them and she has shrubs that touch hers. I do not. Definitely not worth the money. Our doors while they look nice also leak. We bought for added installation and did bot get it. Don’t waste your money.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Order 45+ windows and door. Got the run around for installation. When you contact Pella corporate, they are not helpful to resolve any issue (missing products, wrong sizes, etc). They claim you have to deal with your local office. I would not recommend them, best to go with local installer who give you a better deal and quality and service.

Pella Company Information