Need a window & door company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.62/5

643 Pella Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 26, 2019

Charlotte NC Replacement Windows problems. Replacement windows ordered March 2019 $55,212.66. Installation was scheduled June 3-15. 2 Pella contractors refused to do job due to window size. 3rd installation contractor Pella hired showed up June 17. Installers ran out of installation product so worked 1/2 days. Installers took a week off for a vacation without finishing the installation. July 12 job finally completed.

This caused a major delay in remodel timeline according to contractor. Sales rep did not order extension jambs, so drywallers had to take two weeks to install drywall returns. Now Pella says it's not their fault their installers didn't show up to work and the contractor says it's Pella's fault for the delay and extra charges occured during window installation. Nothing but the runaround, have never been supplied with warranty paperwork, a couple bent True View window screens. A total nightmare.

Original review: July 16, 2019

John ** was amazing. He took the time to go over our details and was very organized and personable with our needs. He went into detail about the process. We really enjoyed our experience with John and would recommend calling him if you need purchase a window.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I purchased 2 Pella Architect Series slider patio doors in 2011 for primary home. We chose door with grids and mini-blinds. Paid $4K each and another $1,100/ea to install so total investment was $10,200. Doors are warrantied for 10 years; glass is warrantied for 20 years. Beautiful doors. Also purchased one for my home in Nantucket. That door is still performing properly. Dining room door (we never use this door and never raised the mini-blinds) in primary home is now clouded with condensation in between the panes of glass. See pic. Door in family room has leaked so badly that we now have significant water damage to the solid oak floors. So, this has been going on for some time and one has to be concerned about mold! See pic. Rain is leaking right into our home. See pic.

Buyer beware ... "labor" is warrantied for only 2 years; hence, if something is found to be defective with the doors; Pella, which touts that their "products are backed by some of the strongest warranties in the business", will charge you for someone to come out and assess the situation and then charge you for someone to come out and fix the problem with their defective product. The person they sent out to assess the situation found that the seals on both doors (both the moving and stationary parts) have failed. For my money, this translates into: Defective Product still under warranty. However, the charge to fix these doors will be $540.00!!

I spoke with Becky and Judy (both very nice) and was told that Pella needs to charge for the labor. There is only one reasons to charge for labor to fix defective doors and that is when you know that your doors are likely to be defective. Their products are substandard and their "labor" warranty suggests that they are very well aware of that fact. I have been a manufacturer's rep for over 25 years and have had the privilege of working for a company that truly stands behind its products because the products are top drawer all the way.

So, think twice before you do business with Pella. Don't spend thousands of dollars on a product thinking that you are getting the best of the best. With Pella, you are not. You have 2 years of comfort; after that, Pella is standing by to dip into your wallet to help fund the costs necessitated by its products' inferior quality. There are other alternatives out there. With Pella, you are paying for the "name" and it turns out the name Pella comes with quite a bit of tarnish!

Original review: July 6, 2019

I purchased my new Pella patio door through Lowe's, hoping that would give me a local resource in case there were issues. That didn't work so well... Lowe's installer did a great job and I was a happy camper.... Then, one evening I noticed that I could see out onto my patio when the internal blinds were closed!! Further investigation showed that neighbors in my condo complex could look right into my kitchen when they walked by my patio! The blinds hang in a netting, and do not overlap as normal blinds do. This leaves an opening that you can see right through!!! So folks, if you buy this patio door DO NOT EXPECT PRIVACY!!!

Multiple calls to Lowe's and Pella. Two different technicians came out and they both could see the issue and agreed that they are 'see through' blinds. Pella's offer was to replace the glass panels. Their installer was ready to replace the glass panels, but after looking at the new door he had with him, he said what I already had installed was better. More calls to Pella... and more unreturned calls to Lowe's. Finally I got a call from local Pella office stating "that is the product". Really?? Why even put blinds in and let people think they worked??? I'm SO DISAPPOINTED with this patio door. I bought is so I wouldn't need window covering, but had to purchase window coverings to close at night so neighbors couldn't look right into my kitchen! I wish I could give this product a negative rating.

Original review: June 27, 2019

All I can say is this company has serious customer service issues. I have five older Pella sliding glass doors. Started calling them on May 27th asking for a quote to replace screen doors. The first week without a response, I called back, and they had the wrong email. After fixing that, they let me know via email that they no longer make the screen for my door anymore, but they could quote me a replacement. Asked me to provide some measurement. After providing the measurements, I did not hear from them for a week. Called, and told they would escalate it. Still no response so I called again and was told by the representative that it was not their department, but they would have the right department respond to me. Still no response after 3 days so I called again only to be told that the department had 5 days to respond. Waited another 2 days and called them back again only to be told they would escalate it.

After another week, called today (June 27th) to complain. They put me on hold which rolled over to a one question customer service survey about how they are doing and then hung up on me. Funny that on each call, the person answering the call acknowledges the poor response and promised they would have someone get back with me. STILL WAITING! Tried one more time. Told that they would send me to the right department only to forward me to Lowe's Home Improvement. The rating of one star is too high!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: June 27, 2019

The first incidence was really a combination of my contractor and the salesperson. The wrong windows were ordered for my new addition in spite of my explicitly stating I wanted the same size window or bigger than the original kitchen window (47 inches wide), and the largest window possible for the new master bedroom suite. The windows I asked for were not the windows sent. No problem, the salesman came back and I wrote down exactly what I wanted on an order form the second time. Again, the wrong windows came. I called the salesman to verify exactly what I had written and he confirmed that I had not written a 24 inch wide window for my kitchen. I mean who would want a 24 inch wide window to replace a 47 inch window when I was making the kitchen much bigger. A smaller window came for the master bedroom as well. The third time the windows sent were the once I wanted.

Now the bigger problem. The two doors ordered leading outside (one from the master bedroom, the other from the kitchen) are now leaking in spite of what my new (yes new) contractor does to try and fix them. The inspection depends upon the door installation and the installers say they cannot fix the problem until August. I am going back to work in September and the rest of the house (floors, kitchen) will have to be put on hold until the doors stop leaking underneath. My contractor remade the threshold and put in rubber but realizes the plates angle into the house, not out of the house.

The first contractor did everything wrong (materials, installation of beams, no permits, no access to the crawl space, no pitch to the flat roof-deck, the list goes on), then quit when he realized everything he did had to be destructed and re-constructed (any number of reasons). Now the window company he chose against my better judgement is holding up the job which has already taken two years.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I had a professional contractor install several Pella windows and one large patio door. I am very happy with the windows, but the patio door is turning my carpet black! I have had 2 professional carpet installers and 1 professional carpet cleaner inspect the situation. It is NOT caused by dirt. It is caused by the black seal on the bottom of the door, which touches the carpet when the door opens. Pella refused to help by contractor, who tried his best but said that he cannot remove the black seal. He removed some of the padding under the carpet, so that the door would not rub as much. Unfortunately, in addition to having a large unsightly black area, the carpet now also looks uneven. Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? Feel free to respond directly to **. Thank you.

Original review: June 26, 2019

If I could give this company less than 1 star, I would. Purchased a “designer series” door in 2013 to the tune of almost $7,000. This past year, after a couple of brutal, rainy CT Nor’easter water was accumulating in the track and overflowing onto my family room carpet (at least 3 ft into the room ruining the carpet). So I called the “service” number and was told my door was out of warranty and I would need to pay an upfront service charge of $175 +tax to have someone come and look at my door. Well the actual installation process was a nightmare (the screen door still doesn’t close properly after several service calls to/from the local distributor who sold me the door) so I opted to contact an independent contractor who agreed to troubleshoot the problem (FOR FREE!!!).

After confirming the problem (he believed the weather stripping between the sliding doors needed to be replaced), he advised that I utilize Pella service as they would have the appropriate parts. I called and scheduled service with the local distributor: long story short, there was NO weather stripping between the doors! I called the service department back and they advised I call Pella Corporate directly. After multiple phone calls with both Corporate and the service department representatives referring me back and forth to each other, I was finally able to reach a “supervisor” (Susan) in Corporate who confirmed the weather stripping is installed at the factory (as did the 2 previous corporate reps). So in effect, the door was defective from the factory.

I then asked (since this was a factory defect) how to get the damage to my carpet reimbursed. She informed me that the “warranty” does not cover damage to any other parts of the structure (and she proceeded to read me the warranty!). So I asked: “Are you telling me that Pella will not assume the responsibility for my carpet which was caused by their factory defective product?” She affirmed with a “yes”. And proceeds to say she does not know what happened to the weather stripping: if it was removed during installation (door comes in one piece) or if it “fell out”. REALLY? A $7K door and the weather stripping just falls out? Wouldn’t I see it lying in my deck??? This is NOT a warranty issue: it is a factory “QUALITY” issue and one would a $7K door to be water tight. I could get no farther than speaking with Susan who also responded to my complaint with the BBB. BOTTOM LINE: buyer beware and stay far, far away from Pella products.

Original review: June 24, 2019

We paid 15 grand for new windows and doors. Little flying insects can crawl right in around the doors and windows into our house. It is terrible. We put masking tape around the inside, hundreds of gnats get stuck in it, how can they get in a brand new, high-priced Pella door. HELP! They are triple pane, two panes close together on the outside, a gap of about 1 inch, and then the inside pane which can be opened. In that space, between the 2 outer panes and the inside pane, there are gnats. How can that be. These windows are defective and need to be replaced. What a nightmare, we thought we were buying the best, boy, were we suckers.

Original review: June 19, 2019

We purchased an 8' sliding glass patio door from Pella and within a few years began having problems with the door. Difficult sliding and closing the door in the winter months. Several years later the door began to leak. Whenever it rained water would leak from the door to the threshold then on to our floor ruining the carpet and wood trim. Several calls to Pella service provided no explanation or help with the problem. Pella service referred us to sales to purchase a new door. We purchased a new door reluctantly to match the rest of the windows and doors in the house.

After removing the old door, it was obvious the problem was defective cladding on the door that over the years rotted the entire bottom of the door. Pella accepted no responsibility for the problem and refused to offer any compensation even though we purchased a new door from them. I will never purchase a Pella product again and warn any consumer to beware of Pella. Their doors and windows are NOT well constructed. They don't stand behind their products.They are probably one of the worst companies I've ever worked with.

Pella Company Information