3.4/5 (329 ratings)

Find Windows and Doors partners near you

About Pella

Find Windows and Doors partners near you

Pella Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: June 1, 2022

We purchased a Pella door several years ago. We now need a new handle/locking mechanism & cannot get anyone to help with replacement parts. The company gives email/phone numbers for assistance but never answers or replies. Unfortunately, replacement parts cannot be ordered from any other company or website- all orders must go through them directly & it’s impossible to speak with anyone! My husband could easily install the new handle if we could just purchase the replacement part! So frustrating! We will never use this company again!!

Original review: April 18, 2022

After being told windows would arrive 12-16 weeks from the time of sale, I was notified just 2 days after signing the contract that the windows would arrive 16-20 weeks. **Their salespeople will say what they need to say in order to secure a sale.** 8 weeks later I was informed the windows will be delayed another 6 weeks. The delivery timeframe is now 3 months delayed. This is HORRIBLE salesmanship for a salesperson to give false information in order to secure a sale.

Original review: April 15, 2022

In 2000 we bought a house with two decks. One off the kitchen and one off the master bedroom. The French doors were nothing but glass panel wood doors that had been modified to fit this opening and they showed signs of leaking. and severe weather fatigue. We priced Pella sliders and factored this cost into our purchase. Shortly after moving in we purchased 2 sliding Pella doors (SLC,UT) with the interior blinds. One was 60" and the other more like 84" wide. They were installed by a competent installer. We had a few service calls in the firsts years covered by warranty. But as soon as the warranty period is over expect to pay big bucks for each part and just the initial service call.

Our story is similar to the one from Lee of Kingwood, TX Verified Reviewer. Original review: Jan. 25, 2022, currently about the 5th one down on page 1. We had some interior painting to do so we didn't get around to wanting our raw wood inside painted for a few years.. In that time Pella said they had no one to recommend any longer. So I had to do the danish oil finish myself. I'm pretty good at handyman skills and painting but this is quite a big job. No telling how much a painter would have charged me. Why didn't pella have a list of painters willing to do this job with recommendations??? Red flag! Well this last year I decided the wind noise was too much so I looked into new weather stripping.

I ordered it and a couple months later received this rather expensive and custom door seal product along with the expensive screen door slider spring assembly that I needed because of a poorly designed plastic part that is not available separately. I could live with these high parts prices as it seems the new American quality standard and business model for parts sales and service to be a big part of profits. But when doing the seal job and also replacing the rollers on the door bottom I found that the wood interior under the cladding was really rotted. So far my inside wood has not caved in like Lee's.

I also notice that there are corrosion looking holes on the outside surface of the aluminum cladding on the bottom stile. 3-4 1/8" to 1/4" that let the rain in. Maybe there was dissimilar metal staples or something that corroded the thin aluminum cladding that was supposed to last a lifetime and a big pella selling point!! In contact. I have tried to put some caulking on these holes to keep the rotted wood at bay. This is the master bedroom deck door... If it was the main floor door it would look really bad and I would need to seek a better solution... This pair of doors cost 5000$ in 2000 and I think they are well over 5000 each now. I would never buy pella again and tell everyone to research other manufactures.

Original review: March 30, 2022

3 years ago we replaced all of our windows in our home with Pella windows. We had 7 different window companies come to our home. Although Pella was the most expensive quote we received, we went with Pella because of the name and reputation that we had heard so much about. 2 years after our windows were installed we began to notice our windows turning yellow and oxidizing. We went through the proper channels. Several Pella reps came out and said that they had never seen the Pella windows do this before.

We then received this notice from Pella: "Pella is not responsible for or makes not warranty as to: Product failure, loss or damage due to normal wear, fading or discoloration of finish from product usage, age or exposure to direct sunlight." Wow. We live in Phoenix Arizona. Someone should have mentioned the fact that they do not cover the windows yellowing in direct sunlight within 2 years of installation. This is not 10 or even 5 years down the road. 2 years later. This is obviously a manufacturer's defect. Our neighbors replaced their windows with a local Phoenix vinyl window manufacturer years ago and their windows are not yellow.

Original review: March 30, 2022

My two story home has 100% Pella casement windows and doors. 100% of the windows are rotting in place, and (2) of the storm doors with glass refuse to lock AT ALL. Pella came out and replaced 4 window frames, I paid the labor. They were supposed to return as the other windows "came in stock" and then fix the doors as well.

No show for Pella now, and I am looking at a FULL REPLACEMENT of their KNOWN defective products. I even filed a BBB complaint and they STILL refuse to finish the job they started. Pella is an Iowa company, and I do my best to buy local, but never again will I buy a house with their products installed, nor will I ever buy anything from them again. Shame on you pella.

Original review: March 23, 2022

I built my (very large) home in 1999 and used Pella for every window and door (approx $100,000 worth). It is the 1 decision I have regretted every single day of living in this house, right up until today. The window frames starting rotting out 11 years in, so they're out of warranty. They blamed my builder for installing them wrong. A few years later there was a class action lawsuit against them for a defect in the frames causing them to rot. The $ wasn't worth all the work I had to do to receive it (4 kids keeps you too busy for monster problems like this one), so we passed on a separate lawsuit, & accepted whatever little $ they gave us. Each yr another few rot & we replace them, & this process has been going on for about 10 yrs (12,000sq ft house has a ton of windows).

This year we replaced 2 frames (since Jan) & my sliding doors aren't sliding anymore. Btw the frames don't come painted, they don't even offer that service. A technician came, made adjustments & said he'd have to come back & shave the door slightly on top to get it sliding again. They send me the contract ($800 1/2 due now) then call me to say they're actually not able to fix it, advising me to contact my builder & they'll give him the door info he needs to fix it. I can't use the tech that actually works on the door that recommended how he'd fix it! WHY NOT?! They "can't alter their product" even though it's 20+yrs old. RIDICULOUS but I expected nothing less. So if you're lucky enough to get through to make an appt, it comes in a month (minimum), & that's just the evaluation....another month after that to schedule the service.

No exaggeration, been doing this over a decade now. I advise you to GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, DO NOT USE PELLA! Their own contractors have told me to use Anderson, what does THAT say abt the company?! I'm too far in now but I beseech anyone looking for a window/door to use anyone BUT Pella. You will absolutely, without a doubt, regret your decision!

Original review: March 22, 2022

Both of the crews hired to install our windows and doors were so terrible, they fired after they finished our job. They damaged our home and the products as they were installed and now need replaced. The project manager, the area manager, and the district manager have all been giving me the runaround for six months and there is no end in sight. I may have to sue to have these issues resolved. I had to file a complaint with the BBB after seeking help for 4 months. Only after I filed the complaint did they respond to me. I'm so disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

We contacted the local Pella Distributor in Richmond Virginia in October 2021 to replace a large window in our Florida room because it was discoloring. The local salesmen came over. Said they could do project and provided a contract and said they could do the job in Jan 2022. Two weeks later he called. Said he made a mistake in the installation and it would cost an additional $643. We called the corporate's office in Pella Iowa and they were little help so we agreed to pay the addition amount to get the job done in January. Two week later he called said they could not install until February 25. So we agreed to wait.

In early March we called him to confirm our installation and he said it was a go for February 25. On February an employee called to say the installation could not be done until "sometime in March" but would not give me a reason. I called the Corp office again and was given little information. We have no idea when we will have window installation??? Very Poor customer service. Will not ever order windows again from Pella.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I have Pella Architect series windows on my home. I noticed some rotting on the wood on one of the windows and had someone come take a look. He found that nearly every Pella window in my house had rotting at the bottom because the aluminum casements had small separations at the corner allowing water to get in and rot the wood. Given that this is a problem with pretty much every Pella window I have, it appears to be a defect in the product. I wrote to the company and they will not stand behind their product. I would avoid this company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

One of the worst experiences I’ve ever had with a company that will not stand behind their improperly measured and installed window that has 3 inches of caulking on one side to fill in the empty glass that’s mismeasured.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

We purchased Pella windows through Lowe's in Appleton WI. Nothing has gone good. We were promised by the salesman that they would keep out the noise and cold air. None of this is true. They have air leaks in all 13 windows. We can hear all noise from outside. Lowes will not do anything about it. All I get is, "We are so sorry!!" I’m am not able to contact Pella directly.

Finally we got a person from Pella Green Bay to come look at them. He said that they can add some weather stripping. Why do new windows need weather stripping added? We didn’t purchase reconditioned windows. The guy from Pella told us that the windows are not made for a submarine!!! What an ignorant comment to make to someone who spent $14,000.00 on junk Pella windows. I have contacted the Better Business Bureau. That is the only way that I could get Lowe's to call me back. Pella themselves will not contact me. What a spineless organization. Absolutely no customer service.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

We purchased a 6 foot French door assembly to replace an aluminum sliding door to our patio. One of the selling points was its exterior cladding that would prevent rot. We've had the doors for about 12 years. Recently my wife was polishing the interior wood panel at the bottom of the door and it collapsed. Not in just one spot, but in multiple spots across the bottom panel. Turns out that the exterior cladding delaminated from the wood, allowing water to penetrate between the cladding and the door. In reading reviews on this site, it is quite obvious that the company has a long record of selling defective products, a good percentage of them with the same rotting problem we experienced.

Contacted them to come out and look at the door. Had to call them several times to send a representative out. When their representative arrived, it said I had to pay them $129 for the service call. He blew smoke most of the time, dancing around my questions about the warranty and attempted to blame the installer. Finally, he said he would have someone contact me. Weeks went by and there was no attempt to contact me.

I finally called and they said they would send someone out the next day. We went through the same song and dance and he finally said he would write up a proposal. After spending several minutes on the computer, he looked up and said: "It will be $8,000.00 dollars to replace the door." You might imagine my response. Bottom line, looks as if there will be no response from Pella. It appears that the Pella warranty is a scam. I see they have had one class action suit and from comments here, there should be another one. Their business operations border on misrepresentation if not fraud.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Going to make this short & sweet... Pella came to my home Oct. 7, 2021. After coming down on pricing we agreed to a figure & I wrote a check for 1/2 $7,904.95. Dec 29, 2021 was the next time I got a call from my salesman to tell me there would be a increases in price by $3500 (the price I would not agree before coming to an agreement). I sent him an email to cancel my order as this increase was far more than the agreed price. He acknowledged my e-mail with a return e-mail canceling my order. My check was cashed 2 weeks after cancellation. I had to put a stop payment on my check. Pella will not reimburse my stop payment fee due to me canceling my order. I do not recommend using this company.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

January 5, 2022:

Things have gone from bad to worse with Pella Windows. The reinstall of the items listed on my previous post was a total fiasco. Over a half-dozen red and brown spots on my carpeting from dirty tarps, damage to the window frames, poor quality caulking job, dirt and grime left on my walls, and no screen door for my french doors. I did not receive a call from Pella management from my previous post. Maybe they will care enough to call this time. As a former professional educator I strongly advise my fellow Michigan Education Association members, stay away from Pella!!!

First Post:

I am thoroughly disappointed with Pella Windows. When my first order of windows were installed on August 9 they installed my living room window and family room door wall with the wrong color factory finish (Pella White not Bright White). It took until October 13 to get this acknowledged by Pella and reordered with the delivery in January. They also installed the wrong color trim in a bedroom and den, did not have the correct piece of 10" base trim for my living room window, and did not install the window latches correctly which caused the paint to be chipped. The nail holes were filled with the wrong color putty which, 3 months later still needs to be corrected. The only reason these are eventually being replaced and corrected is because of the efforts of Andrew **, he is incredible. As for the rest of the company... Unfortunately, it will take until January 5, 2022 for all corrections and replacements to be made, (7 months after the initial installation).

I contacted my sales rep (Patrick **) after the August 9 installation to give him a run-down of the delivery issues and his reply was "contact customer service". So much for your salesperson being an advocate for the customers to whom he he sold windows. Don't bother trying to reach upper management, they are nearly impossible to contact. I tried to send letters to Ken ** (General Manager) and Paul ** (Sales Manager) {as they do not have posted e-mail addresses} to the mailing address provided by the main office in Iowa, but they were returned to me with the message "No Mail Receptacle". Why are they hiding from their customers? Very shady.

I have a delivery of kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room windows coming in on November 15. Who knows what will happen then. We also have to order master bedroom and master bathroom windows, but we are waiting to see that happens next week. The only reason we are sticking with Pella is that we want matching windows throughout our house. Buyer beware!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

It is not the continual delays, nor the disappointment in the product; it is not the varied contractors that they use without any responsibility on them nor the lack of follow up or satisfaction checks. It is the complete disregard from anyone in the office in a position of management to help. In the comical series of wrong measurements, delays, and poorly working products for a lot of money, I never once got a phone call to explain or apologize for the problems from anyone pleasant or helpful. I received a few calls from a clearly unsatisfied employee. That was what I was sold. I feel foolish. I feel like I was duped and discarded.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

WE had a damaged window last year. They inspected the window and no one showed up to fix it. They said they were ordering it. A few months later and after many calls, someone got back with us and informed us that we did not pay the 50%. This year we had a front window damage. Again a technician came in and looked at both windows and we provided our credit card number to charge it the required 50% 9 about $4000. They promised to come and install both windows in Nov. We have been calling and leaving messages, No answers. We did not see any charge made to our credit card or bank account. This is not good. Not sure where to go from here. This is about their Houston office. My phone number is **.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

I purchased windows and doors from Pella for my house in 2017 and 2018 to be installed by a Pella certified contractor who is still listed on their website. The windows and doors were high quality and delivered on time. The installer/contractor and I parted ways after several issues with his quality of work and dishonest behavior. Due to this, the windows for the 3rd floor and basement were never installed. I reached out to Pella to try and get help with a new installer and was stonewalled, not called back and basically ignored after buying $88,000 worth of windows. Despite explaining the behavior of this contractor, his name and company remain on Pella's website.

Now, after finally finding a reputable contractor to install the windows, there are a few parts missing and one of the motorized windows does not work. The new contractor reached out to Pella for help and was again met with a complete lack of interest. Pella has not been willing to help in any way. Every single person I speak to who asks me about my windows.... I tell them they are Pella windows but to run as fast as they can away from Pella. Their windows and doors are high quality and gorgeous but Pella is a big zero on consumer service front. I would never recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I requested a replacement handle for a Pella Sliding Door. We found the handle in question. The handle was roughly $65.00. I was shipped a handle AND an exterior lock (option) costing roughly $293.00. I complained and requested to return the items in their unopened original factory packing. I have been told the factory will not accept returns. This does not seem fair. I never discussed and never requested the optional exterior lock.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

My windows stopped closing all the way so the locking mechanism could not function. When I asked they come fix it or even replace it they wanted to charge me $200 just to look at it. Overall I paid for an overly priced product that has the same life span, quality, and customer service of a similar quality product.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Ordered a new front door from Pella that finally arrived this week. The door was already damaged when the installer took it out of the box. In addition to damage to the outside of the door panel, one of the hinges is loose, the glass trims do not fit and the rubber seal at the bottom is damaged. What kind of quality control is this? Replacement panel has been ordered which now takes several months to be delivered. Never again!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Greg, a very pleasant agent for Pella Windows in Newport, RI, was very helpful in the process of getting the right sized windows, 2 double casements and a 3 glass unit of sliders, for a wall in our home. He was helpful in suggesting the type of windows for our expensive purchase. He was helpful in making sure our checks were in when Pella needed them. He was apologetic about the long delays COVID 19 caused - certainly a problem everyone has experienced and not the fault of Pella Windows. One of the sliding windows had some small cracks through the paint and down to the fiberglass. They were not structural, but, in the top surface of the bottom frame, they would definitely allow water to reach the subsurface and therefore the fiberglass. The water from the very humid area in which the building is situated, would migrate into the frame and gradually, repeated freezing and thawing would, over time, definitely damage the frame.

The choices were to have the entire frame removed and have another one made and installed, or to repair it in place. Because I have had decades of experience using polyester resins, epoxy resins and various fiberglass fabrics, I said I would repair it but I wanted them to agree to supply the materials and give me a discount, which Greg actually suggested. A field technician came out and adjusted trim that did not fit well. Then, Tick tock - nothing. I contacted Greg again. He would reach out to Pella - again. Eventually another agent, David, called. He was very interested in my situation and dedicated to getting a satisfactory resolution for me THE NEXT DAY! Can you hear the slow soft tick-tocking of a cobweb-covered grandfather's clock? That was about one and a half to two months ago.

This review is not about some severe issue. It is about trust and honor. It is about the lack of either a genuine interest in doing a job well or the lack of ability to actually accomplish it. Whatever it is, if you are thinking of buying Pella windows, certainly from this source, be very careful and if there is a problem, have Pella bear the the weight of their responsibility and, as friends of ours have done, have everything replaced that is not up to the standard that Pella claims.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

After researching and putting down deposit in June 2021, order was scheduled for September. 2 of 3 doors had major install complications. My main bedroom sliding door was improperly measured by the Pella team. On site installer told me it would take a few weeks for new install. They had already removed my old sliding door. I called the mainline and emailed and no response. When they finally contacted me later in the week, I was advised it would be FOUR MONTHS until a new door could be ordered and installed. I am without a secure bedroom sliding door during the upcoming winter months.

My living room sliding door with inner blinds did not have all proper parts for blinds in either glass panes to work. Each pane was missing a different piece. One wouldn’t go down and up. One wouldn’t shut and open. A full month to have service appointment set to fix. Then Despite numerous calls and explanation of improper and incomplete install, the nice man who came out what not properly told what the issue was, and only my sheer luck did he have an extra piece in his truck to complete the job and fix the blinds.

BOTH sliding doors had incorrect color handle on outside. Stark white against black frame. 2 month waiting period for a third installation appointment to have corrected. I am incredibly disappointed with lack of urgency and customer service simply apologized did delay. I am without functional bedroom door, cannot access my patio, and do not have a secure home because of Pella. They have done nothing to accommodate this severe inconvenience and danger to my well-being. Overall - Not worth the cost and hassle and inconvenience. I’m still waiting for either sliding door to be properly installed as ordered.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Ordered 4 windows in June, sales person Cliff, said it will be delivered in a month but after signing contract Pella emailed that windows will delayed about 3 months, meanwhile installer came to my house and after measurements was mentioned amount of molding that sales person put in contract is not enough and have to increase to meet the job requirements, so contacted Cliff and he assured me it will be enough, October day of installation came, delivery was late at 1:30 pm and installer couldn’t finish the job and of course not enough molding. Have to come tomorrow, tomorrow received a call that not able to come. Have to 3 days later, house is the mess and job half done, not a reliable company. Should gone with Andersen which installed my entrance glass door in one day and perfect.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

I ordered a new patio door in April. I was told it would take several months. When I called in June to check the status I found out they never submitted the order. They of course had my $1800 deposit since April 4. After numerous complaints, they finally said I could cancel the contract. Here it is October and I am still waiting for the check that was supposed to be, expedited. I think I will have TVs check soon, but this is ridiculous. I am dealing with a high level representative of the company and he isn’t able to keep his promises. All I get is continuous apologies,

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I called Pella about 10 years ago about all of my Proline windows leaking in my home. They said they were out of warranty. Now I find out there was a class action lawsuit and I was never notified by them or anyone else. Even though they still send me advertisement mail every year and they still have my information on file where I bought the windows from. I am the original home owner and my house was built in 1999. I called Pella again and I got the same answer.

Pella and the law firms handling this class action lawsuit should of contacted the home owners who had these windows installed but failed too! If Pella truly cared about their customers and safety of other people and their family they would make things right. I just went through a very long expensive divorce and cannot afford to replace all of the windows in my home. They are so badly rotted out now you cannot even open them up.

Sooner or later someone or some family is going to die somewhere because they cannot get out of their house if it catches on fire. Since the windows are rotted out so badly the window cranks no longer work. I am sure I am not the only one with this problem since there was a class action lawsuit filed and they failed to notify everyone like the automotive industries does if there is a recall on their vehicle. They all should be recalled. Unbelievable! This is a safety warning to the public.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Order placed Oct 1 2020 via Lowe's for install of two sliding glass doors. Nearly a year later, 3 different shipments and 4 appointments for install which means we have to move most of our furniture, window coverings in our condo and from our patio to get ready. Every time, incomplete or incorrect parts are shipped. The latest was they did not ship one of the fixed glass panels on one of the sliding glass doors. How the hell do you miss that, it's an 8' sliding glass door. In a few days we hit 365 days for two sliding glass doors. A year of frustration, delays, incompetency. We evidently are not the only ones. Covid excuses aside, other excuses for delay were painting booth problems, then breakage in the plant, but shipping incomplete orders THREE times... WTF. And from Pella, just excuse after excuse. Useless.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I had Pella install a 4000.00 back door only to have it damaged on their way out. Customer service was awful and finally after many months they said my door was in and coming today to replace it. Only to have them call and say it was never ordered. Don't buy Pella products or Provia products.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Months late with windows package for southern Colorado cabin due weeks ago. Still waiting for information and delivery. Extremely disappointing and disruptive to our construction progress. Call me if you have the courage. **

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I purchased two patio sliding doors with one being 72" and the other 96". Both doors are on the West facing side of the house just about 8 feet from each other. I chose to upgrade the glass to triple pane for the larger door which is supposed to increase the efficiency over the double pane Advanced Low-E Insulating Glass w/ Argon. The larger 3-pane door's window is hot to the touch while the 2-pane window is cool. I went with the Pella even with it's extremely high cost due to their literature that says they are the highest efficiency rated windows on the market but I am extremely displeased with the large door and am sorry I bought it. Would not buy another Pella product again.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

We ordered our windows and doors from Pella in our Local Lowe’s store in February 2021 because they said they could get them sooner than the Anderson windows. Most windows came in the month of May. We are still waiting for a gable window and it is now August 30. Customer service says they are still waiting for some glass to arrive at the plant to finish the window. It shouldn’t take that long to finish one window. We asked if they would ship it directly to us when finished to save a week or two in time and they won’t even do that. The windows we did receive already have their bottom rubber strip coming off several windows. We are very disappointed in the company and their customer service.

Pella Company Information