1.12/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

594 Pella Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

What a nice PELLA Thermastar White Sliding Double Paned Vinyl 36.5" x 36.5" Window for my kitchen... for only $131.00 at Lowe's! (in Tucson). Too bad that the weed-whacker whacked an outside pane. That is one pane of glass, folks. No one will work on Pella windows in Tucson, you must call Pella. Pella folks were very nice on phone. Sent me a quote. THE ONE PANE OF GLASS COST $147.00, LABOR IS $160.00. If we wanted to put the pane in ourselves, to save labor... DELIVERY IS $150.00. So, I could actually buy (almost) TWO NEW WINDOWS for the cost of replacing ONE PANE OF GLASS. I will NEVER EVER PURCHASE OR RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY AGAIN.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

My windows are less than 11 months old and a bird flew into it and shattered it. I was told by 3 different service reps telling me I was under a warranty and today I followed up and was told my window is not covered for a bird flying into it and cracking. Are the windows that thin and crappy that a bird can break? Service department lady and I got into a heated argument and she told me I was a liar that I was not told it was covered and I have emails saying it is. SHE WAS AWFUL AND RUDE. I will do my best to social media my ordeal and bad service.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I bought windows and a door from Pella direct. I thought going direct to the manufacturer would get me the best possible price. Turns out I can purchase the exact same Pella product half price through Lowe's. I am not all that impressed with my product and the customer service and follow up in the Phoenix location leave a lot to be desired.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Do yourself a favor and if you're thinking of doing business with this company, which is actually KC Company, RUN!!! Do not do business with Pella/KC Company if you want to keep your sanity (When we complained to Pella, they said they were not liable for the job that we have to deal with KC Company. Funny, because we had no idea. We called Pella and asked for an estimate, and they sent us KC Company who represented themselves as Pella). Anyway, very unsatisfied with this company's service, as they are totally incompetent in being able to complete the job.

We paid top price thinking we would be getting a top-notch company to do the job - WRONG! They agree that there needs to be a price reduction because of the terrible service that they have given us - 8 months out and still not finished the job - totally ridiculous - but we can't seem to agree on the amount that is due to us. They really don't want to hurt their pocketbook, just their customer's purse. Can't measure if their life depended upon it. They've come out 5 times just to try to fit 2 screens, and each time they've come, the screens did not fit, and plus they were damaged in transport.

You'd think after the first time, that they would make sure that the screens would be good to go before they get here, but nope, 5 times and still can't get a stupid screen to fit. This is the least of it. The first time they installed two different windows. And when they came out to look at what the problem was, they never told us that they were two different windows (all I knew is the framing looked off). They send their guy back out to reframe the window, and I'm getting upset because it's still not right, and that's when we figure out it's two different windows that they installed - should have all been the same! This company is the absolute worst!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Several years ago I spent over $13,000 for a bay window and sliding doors, both designer series. The installation and quality of these was over the top. Unfortunately, their customer service is the absolute worst I have ever experienced. It is almost non-existent. Recently I tried to get in touch with the local office to replace one of the blinds which had broken in the bay window. They never answer their phone and do not return messages. In the meantime, I tried to open the hinged glass panel to fix the blinds myself, when it would not open. I popped it with a screwdriver to open it. But the next time, it would not open no matter what I did.

I called their 800 number and they were able to get someone from the local office to call me. I received a message and an email from Laura. But all attempts to get back to her failed. No answer, no returned messages and no answer to my returned email. I have called the 800 number too many times to count. When they did get me through to the local office, I spoke to a Randall. His attitude left way too much to be desired. Apparently I must have been upsetting him because I was not happy with the service I was receiving and when I told him, "I don't give a ** how he feels", he told me he was going to hang up on me. I ended that call and will not speak to him again.

I am currently in the midst of too many phone calls to the 800 number. I must say, the people at this number are very friendly and help as much as they can. They sent me a tool to open the windows, which did work, but I still need to replace the blinds (my attempts to fix didn't work out so good). The 800 number has sent messages to the local office twice to call me, and I have yet to receive a call from them.

By the way, they charge $120 for service. A window that costs thousands should have a lifetime warranty on things that should just work (like opening the panel). I want to replace five windows in my kitchen. I wouldn't replace them with Pella windows if they gave them to me and installed for free. It is NOT WORTH IT! Disgusted isn't a strong enough word for how I feel about this experience. Apparently they don't know the phrase "Customer Service is everything."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Pella Windows (Denver) - Product: generally good, with a few reservations about the sliding door we bought (a little cheesy). Installation: incompetent beyond belief. A comedy of errors throughout. Parts were missing, measurements wrong, different crews showed up with or without a supervisor, and the salesman was clearly incompetent. Pieces of my (very expensive) windows are still missing, and have been many times promised -- I'm sure I'll never get them. This company has the reputation of one of the best...and yet most reviews are like mine: installation and service a disaster. How do they stay in business? Renewal by Andersen has got to be better (they could hardly be worse!).

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

All window latches are coming loose and not closing. This is the second time in the 8 months I’ve had them. Driving rain here in NY, rain pouring in from one window due to poor quality/alignment. All vinyl purchased from Lowe's Danbury Ct. Junk, I purchased 9 double sliding windows.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I wish I'd found this website before I bought my Pella triple sliding patio door 3 years ago from Lowe's. I want to say that my experience has been horrible to say the least; service from Pella is terrible and from Lowe's, nonexistent. Six months from purchase before delivery was completed, door was sent to Maui, Hawaii, without the center panel and had to be reordered. Since then the internal blinds have been replaced twice (would not work properly) and now the sliding screen is jammed and won't retract. I only live in Maui half the year, so it's not overuse. Pella only services Maui from Honolulu ONCE A MONTH and it is a long wait for service. Need I say more? All this grief cost me $6000! Unbelievable.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I bought a bunch of windows and sliding patio doors from Pella Windows and Doors of Hicksville. I have been waiting for months for corrections to my orders. I also had other issues with the orders which they corrected, but still waiting on corrections for the screens in the correct color and materials. Unreturned phone calls and broken promises over and over. They are truly bad.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Choosing Pella windows was the worst decision of my life. They are almost 2 months behind on shipping my windows for my new home. They have shipped windows to my house 3 separate times in small quantities which does absolutely nothing for me since the framer will not make a special trip to install 4 windows at a time. This has delayed my build 40 days. My build is at a standstill as they cannot insulate without windows installed. They offer no explanation. My builder has called and complained several times to request some kind of compensation for this delay from their original promised delivery date. My builder says he will never order Pella again. Shame on you Pella.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Ours windows are awful. We have moisture in one. Have a hard time locking them the top sash slides down. The safety locks are incredibly hard to use. And lastly we have a crane out window the slides off the track.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I had these windows installed in May 2017 to conserve energy as well as lessen outside noises. I was not impressed with the way they muted the sound. After having these windows 10 months, one had cracked. I called the business that sold them to us and they said two weeks and it should be installed. Two weeks went by and Pella had no record of the order. Ordered again. Still no window 3 weeks later. Ordered yet again in April and was told it would be installed the end of May. End of May and a person arrives to investigate the problem. Window ordered still again and was told it would be installed within a month. The end of June receive a call the window is in but glass is broken. I just received a call from Pella. Glass broke still again and they hope to have it installed the end of July... hmmmm what will be wrong with the install on July 31st. Imagine that 4 months to replace a glass window. I would recommend Window World over Pella any day!

Original review: July 6, 2018

Since Pella of Madison has managed to take down all of their public comments, I am going to post here. Pella of Madison came to our home and blamed the problems we are having on our Aprilaire system even though our humidity level is set at 35%. The worker that came out said he was going to check with his supervisor and get back with us. That was over 2 months ago. The windows are letting in cold air through the tops and bottoms and creating mold in 15 of the 19 windows we purchased. We have contacted them 4 times with these issues. I guess our next step will be to file complaints with the BBB and the state of Wisconsin. We paid too much money to be having these issues.

Original review: June 18, 2018

One of my Pella windows recently started fogging due to a leak between the glass. I contacted Pella to resolve the issue and to get a replacement under warranty. I sent them all the information they required and within a few days I received a call from a window and door company. That window and door company told me that I had to pay a "service fee" of $125 for them to come out and inspect the defective window. How is this legal? I'll neither buy nor recommend a Pella window again.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I have a Pella sliding door. It had been installed for 6 years. In the middle of the night, it imploded. Mind you, there is nothing but a ravine and woods behind my house, only 1 near neighbor, and no easy access to my back yard. I talked to other people in the window manufacturing business and was told that on very rare occasions, the dual pane window can, in fact, implode. Pella (lack of) customer service says a phantom appeared in the middle of the night and threw something at my glass, causing it to break. Therefore, it is not covered in warranty. Add the fact that the individual I talked to was rude, and would interrupt with condescending comments made the whole experience horrible! Keep away from them! They will come up with any excuse to avoid living up to their warranty.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We bought 21 large Pella windows from Lowe's home center in March of 2000, they were custom fitted for our home. After the windows were installed in a new constructed home, we noticed a problem with the wood used to make the windows. The outside metal cladding used to wrap the casement had fallen off and the wood had rotted and fell to the bottom of the window. I contacted Pella on this matter and was told the windows were only warranted on the glass and if the glass was intact the wood was not covered. I replaced the patio doors and 5 windows with another brand of windows and had the wall repaired where the windows leaked inside. I also have a Egress window that has been replaced because of rotting wood, it was a Pella window and I replaced it with a Pella window and the wood is rotting to this day.

The whole reason of buying the clad wrapped windows was the so called better window and would last a long time. These windows from Pella fell apart and would not lock from the inside because the top of the bottom window had rotted away and fell to the outside of the house. I have a notice from Eubank v. Pella Corp for defective windows, I will see where this goes because Pella has already said they will not cover the windows because the glass is still good. Word to the wise DO NOT BUY PELLA WINDOWS.

Original review: May 23, 2018

We purchased our townhouse in 2003. Pella windows are in our townhouse -- the worst ever!!! No customer service no help. They want to charge $150.00 to look at 10 windows, we have 20 $300.00. To look at their horrible windows to tell us we need new ones -- Pella should be begging us to let them come to our house & apologizing to us for putting in an inferior windows at no charge to us. I don't know how they sleep at night. Everyone from the bottom up is no help. Especially corporate (they lock them in a closet to repeat the same answers). My husband is a veteran and they treated us horribly. Don't ever buy these windows! They don't even deserve one star.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I now see why Pella windows are so expensive. Obviously they have NO Quality Control so are constantly have to send out repairmen to replace and repair product. I have had to have service out 3 times and they are not done yet. I have had my Pella windows and patio door for 2 years. I had to have 4 windows replaced because the screws that were put in the bottom of the window were too long and broke the seal so moisture was forming between the panes. A couple windows would not lock (hardware was not installed correctly or bad hardware). One window had bad weather stripping... All the handles needed to be adjusted.

I'm still waiting to find out what they are going to do with my patio door. Water pools in the threshold when it rains. When they came out to replace the weather stripping they had sent the wrong stripping for the window, so now they have to come back AGAIN. Still waiting on the installer to call me about the patio door. It takes at minimum 4 weeks before Pella ever sends someone out. Then it takes forever for them to return with the parts and you can only hope they send the right item. I do like the looks of the windows, but wish I would have looked around before purchasing Pella Products. I will definitely be going with a different company for my front door. Would not recommend Pella.

Original review: May 1, 2018

We made an appointment over a month ago with Pella to replace a broken door handle. We were told they have to order the part and it would take at least a month. The repair guy arrived today (month+ later); however he did not check the part before he came to repair the door and found he was given the wrong part. Now we will have to wait yet another month as they have to re-order the correct part. I think the part should be shipped to them overnight and this issue should be resolved within a week. Our home is listed so it is important to have this door fixed asap.

Original review: May 1, 2018

My custom built home had a Pella Window contract that was 6 figures. Almost all of them failed (rotted) after 7 years and now, even those replacements have failed. I've begun replacing them all. Their customer service is almost non-existent and they have no sense of urgency in getting back to you. The horror is that frequently the damaged windows are behind the walls and when you finally notice it, the walls need repair as well. Why anyone would even consider Pella is now beyond me. What a costly mistake.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Blinds between the door failed within 5 years, pellets started dropping between the glass just like pictures the other reviewers posted. The wood underneath is rotting. They are going to need to fix this.

Original review: April 24, 2018

We have Pella windows that were installed in a custom built home that is less than two years old. During a recent heavy rain, the window in our great room began leaking significantly. I called Pella the next day, the first customer service agent hung up on me when I expressed my dismay over having a service call scheduled for a month from my call. I had to call back in and got another agent who instructed me to e-mail customer service with my issue and she would look for a more recent appointment. I e-mailed customer service and received an auto response indicating a return e-mail within 3 days. It has been 5 days with no further response and no callback. Meanwhile I keep an eye on the weather forecast hoping we will not get another rainstorm resulting in a significant amount of water in our great room.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I just built a new house with 27 windows. 26 were Pella windows. I purchased these because of Pella’s reputation of being a quality window and the performance rating for these windows had a U factor of 0.30 or better. I felt cold drafts coming from all 26 windows, so I used an IR thermal scanner to see where drafts were coming from. They were leaking around the glass and the window frames and frames to the jams.

I contacted my salesman and he said I could purchase an enhancement kit for $20 per window, which was weather stripping. The enhancement kit directions didn’t even cover where the air was leaking the most, all 4 corners of the lower window where there was 3/8” to 1/4” gaps in weather stripping. I spent over $7300 for the windows. The 27th window was a bow window I purchased at Bargain Outlet for $600, which was $ 700 cheaper than Pella’s and does not have nearly the air loss that the Pella’s do. I am very disappointed in the quality of the windows.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Ordered windows and installation from Pella. Some measurements were wrong. Final installation was delayed for four months, neighbors garage access were blocked for days. Work was done poorly (not according to agreement). Two months after final installation two windows are leaking, damaging ceiling and walls. Called for repair, two weeks later appointment given (installation problems were acknowledged by tech) then complete silence from Pella Service. Five weeks later no attempt to address the issues were made, customer service unable to help, non-responsive. Stuck with leaking windows and water damage. Need to move forward hiring help to prevent massive structural and property damage. My recommendation; don't deal with Pella, they project a reliable company image. Nothing backs the customer, no one to turn to.

Original review: March 29, 2018

My wife & I don't have much bad to say about the front door that Pella installed. Then again for the money it costs we better not. The issue is we had a storm door that was not even 2 yrs. old and costs us $1900.00. Pella had two people measure the existing storm door, including the project manager/Pella Specialist. Both of them knew we wanted to keep this storm door. It was even written up on the work order to replace the existing storm door. The installers came, replace my encasement and front door, however this is where everything goes south. He tells me when he tried to install the storm door that it's about 1/4" too wide! Old carpenters rule of thumb, measure 2 times, cut once? NOT!!!

They want to help by us going to Lowe's and buying a cheap storm door for about $350 and they will install it or buy a Pella door and get 50% off. Off what they give no prices. Oh remember the $1900 storm door that now sits in our garage? Hello. I have called the manager 2 times and no return call. Emailed them, and once in a while I get a person who sends a email that says they have escalated the message to upper authorities. I feel sick. As I'm writing this I am looking at their brochure and it say, "Enjoy CONFIDENCE in a job done right." Please!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I had to have the locks changed on my Pella Patio Doors. There is apparently an adjustment to the lock mechanism that controls height and it is now sitting too low. However, there is no longer a sales and service office in our area and the office 1-1/2 hours away referred the call to an office 3 hours away and that took nearly two weeks, though their voicemail says 48 hours. So I was told it would cost almost $300 for someone to come here and fix it. They were supposed to call me "right back" and here we are over a week later.

I've sent complaints to Pella customer service and they told me to call the people in Maryland back. Why would I have to call them again? Why won't they call customers? Why won't they call back when you DO call them? Why is there nothing useful on the Pella site to help an owner fix their own doors, if Pella won't do it? I want the technical information to make my own repair. And I want Pella to stop marketing to people living in areas they refuse to provide customer support to. It's a scam otherwise.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Bought windows from Pella. Windows were incorrectly installed, metal capping is too high and the caulking is allowing water to come inside and ruin the wall. I was informed that I had a ten year warranty. Upon review, I was informed there is nothing they can do since I am outside of my two year warranty. This is the worse service ever. I would never use or recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Bought my front door unit from Pella. The door has popped out on both inside and outside and rotten wood is falling out from behind the laminate/fake wood exterior panel. I received a discount on the unit when I purchased it, because it was sized wrong and didn't fit the home it was intended for. They will not honor the 10 year warranty because I received it at a discounted rate. Are you kidding me?? Brand new unit not guaranteed because I bought it at a reduced rate. Their people sized it wrong for someone else and would have had to trash it. If I would have known it was not covered under the warranty I can assure you I would have never bought it. Never ever use Pella Windows and Doors!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

My Pella door is 9 years old and has a small crack on the exterior side. Bottom of door appears to be rotting out. Pella had a contractor contact me at a cost to me

for $175 to evaluate for Pella before they would honor a partial warranty so we are stuck at that point where they say I have to pay for their person to check the door. I had agreed to pay for the labor to replace the door and they would provide the door. My 2 Stanley doors are 20 and 30 years old with no sign of wear to the doors. Just know I am going back to Stanley doors. The sad part is I only replaced the door for a different design. Also please note there is a gutter over the door

now this is a 32 inch exterior door so it looks like by the time I would pay for their warranty check and etc. I could almost buy a new Stanley door.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

14 of my Pella Proline windows rotted. All had to be replaced. Cost $22000. 5 Proline Casement Windows did not rot. Pella just announced settling class action but only on casement windows. Smart Pella lawyers put maneuvered Clifford law who did receive $9,000,000 for not representing us! Don't buy Pella.

Pella Company Information