2. Homeowners
  3. Paint Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.48/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

BEHR Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BEHR?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about BEHR?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

So I hired someone to paint the exterior of my mobile home and he told me to get Valspar Storm coat. The store did not carry it so I bought Behr Pro e600 semi gloss 100% acrylic in white. My old color is a light cream color and I wanted white. He was confident that it would only take one coat of paint since the White was going over the cream so I only bought three gallons (it is thick paint) After three coats of the Behr it was streaky like watered down paint! No matter how much we touched it up it just wasn’t uniform at all! Took nearly a gallon of the stuff to do 15’ of wall and hours of wasted time. It was $36.00 a gallon. Took it back to the store for a refund. Went and bought Valspar Storm coat and it covered beautifully in one coat at $26.00 a gallon. Never again Behr!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

The pouring spout is impossible to open. Home Depot shook the can, paint dried and now it won't open even with lock grip pliers. I cut away the dried paint, no help. The can lid is too small for pouring lids sold in stores. Big disappointment. Luckily I only bought one can and I will switch to another brand with a normal lid.

Get buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

So the Behr Premium and Ultra are fitted with their new “eco-friendly” plastic lids and come with a free Simple Pour spout. During my purchase of a gallon last night at Home Depot, I asked the paint guy what was up with the round fitting in the lid. Only then did he proceed to hand me the free spout, opened the port as a demonstration, and just called it a tool to open the circular port. Upon further inspection of the spout when I got home, I realized it was a spout and just not a tool to open the port. Fair enough. By the morning, I go to open the port with the spout/ tool... No chance. Grab a pipe wrench and try that with a little more leverage; nope. No big deal at this point since I have the red full cover pour spouts that they sell at Home Depot too. Guess what? The new plastic lid on the can is 1/8” larger than a standard paint can and it doesn’t fit.

Now I go with the yellow rubber paint can lip that wedges into the rim of a standard can; that doesn’t work either since the rim has been completely redesigned. At this point I’m wondering what the solution will be for a $41 gallon of paint is going to be. Back to Home Depot to discuss with the manager. Of course she seems bewildered at my claims and can’t open the port for the free spout. Next she opens the can and tries the red can spout and it doesn’t work. Lastly she tries the yellow rubber lip and it doesn’t work either. Her solution is to give me a free 2-gallon plastic pale with lid so I can dump the whole gallon into and go from there. Time to start painting.

I start painting my house. The wall face has been completely primed with Zinsser (way better than Kilz by the way) and is completely shaded on a beautiful 70 degree day here in Cleveland. Paint looks great actually, but about 100sf in on the project and my brand new Purdy brush is clumped badly and is starting to embed little period paint turds into the finish. Per the directions I go to clean the brush with soap and water and I’m battling it to get the paint and turds out of the bristles. After about 15 minutes, the brush is acceptable. I go to start round two of my battle and wouldn’t you know, the paint in the sealed 2-gallon container has skinned over.

I decide to call Behr customer service. After a polite conversation where they pretend I’m the first person to ever voice this complaint about the stupid Simple Spout, they offer me 2 free gallons. I almost bite on the $82 offer but decline. I’m cutting my loses and going back to Home Depot for my refund and a self promise never to buy Behr again. Three trips to Home Depot, a wasted day of painting, and 100sf of paint do-over is enough to make the most reasonable person a bit frustrated.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I recently purchase Behr Floor and patio paint and followed the directions to the "T". I primed the concrete patio, let it dry, then painted the floor. We did not use the patio for 72 hrs as requested and actually gave it another 24 hrs to harden. Well after putting our furniture back on we noticed severe scratching from moving the furniture and then also after day 6 it rained and after the patio dried of water there are numerous water stains and it looks terrible. In all my years of painting concrete / wood Floors I have NEVER EVER had this outcome happen. This was my first and without a doubt my LAST time that I will ever purchase Behr paint for anything... Worst paint on the market.. I tried to upload some pics but it wont allow me, It's BAD just like the paint.

Original review: July 8, 2020

My wife and I painted my house with Behr Ultra, satin exterior paint and it has been the worst nightmare of our lives. I have never been so disappointed with the business practices of a company before now. We painted this house 10 yrs ago with Valspar paint 5 gallons of pale yellow paint and it covered with one coat and it looked great. We recently had to paint it again only because we replaced some of the exterior wood. Old Valspar paint Still looked good. Went to Consumer Reports and they ranked Behr Ultra #1 so that’s what we used. Bad mistake. After 4 coats and 16 gallons of paint it looks good till it dries. Then it becomes real spotty looking.

Contacted Behr and Sent everything they asked for, pictures, bar code numbers, pictures of the 5 gallon cans, etc. Waited and waited for Answers. Finally After more than A Month and Me Calling them every other day they came back And Said it was our Fault because we picked too Dark of a color. But that after they analyzed the Paint they were sure one More coat would do and that they would reimburse me for the paint. I Didn’t take the money and am Now planning to take further action.

Original review: July 1, 2020

The BEHR Marquee One Coat Hide Guaranteed Ultra Formula, White No. 3450 requires 2-3 coats over a white to light surface. It drys almost immediately and because it is ridiculously runny, it drips terribly. VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Original review: April 29, 2020

Ordered paint 4/11, informed at check out delivery would be 4/22 (In-store) for one color and other color 4/30 (At Home). Thought at the time of ordering this was a long time to wait for paint, but figured at the time it was due to COVID which makes sense. After 4/22 date was missed, called to check status of order. Home Depot said pending vendor delivery. So I called Behr who said there will be another 10-14 day delay in addition to the original delivery date. No communication was provided by Behr regarding this at the time of ordering and communication of delay was sent via email days after I called Behr to check on delayed status. Called again today to check on status, now saying 10-16 day delay which now has me concerned delivery will be extended beyond that.

Cannot cancel my order, states they will not charge me for order until items are delivered but they have not even processed my order yet. Poor Home Depot employees have no idea what is going on, just that vendor is preparing to ship. Overall, poor communication from Behr. I recognize this is a pandemic and delivery will be delayed but better communication should occur. Ultimately going with SW for my paint they are able to have my order ready in 10-15 minutes of me calling. Once Behr finally delivers I will be charged and hopefully have no issues returning paint to Home Depot at the time.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I sent everything the lawsuit asked for and was denied anything. I sent pics of bar codes and original buckets I still possessed. I sent pics of my deck peeling. I my deck is in horrible condition due to this product and I urge anyone not to purchase their products. I just repainted my pool rails this past summer and it's peeling also. I am beginning to think all Behr products are expensive crap! I feel like they should stand behind their products. Now my deck is pretty much ruined. We have tried to pressure wash the existing deck over off and that did even more extensive damage to our deck. This is sickening to spend close to $400 bucks on a product to ruin a 6000-8000 dollar deck.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I submitted everything according to guidelines perfectly. After waiting 3 months and receiving nothing I checked online. It claimed I didn't have the purchase date and receipt number. The numbers and date are on both the receipt from store and the online email receipt that I printed. They were also on the forms. Of course they have everything that proves I did it right. I will never waste time buying BEHR Paint again. I'm out that $120.00 rebate that I was counting on to make my project affordable. I will try other brands to other that have just as good quality and more affordable.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Originally, my shutters and garage door were painted with Behr in a dark brown color. I recently tried a much lighter (almost tan) color using a different brand. I didn't like the color, so I then bought some new Behr paint in exactly the same dark brown. Today I put on the second coat of dark brown and see that AT LEAST one more coat will be required. Luckily I ran out of Behr and will be buying a different brand of paint as these stuff is terrible.

BEHR author review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

BEHR makes interior and exterior paints and primers, wood stains, finishes, strippers, cleaners, floor coatings, sealants and specialty products like stucco and roof paints.

• ColorSmart tool: You can preview BEHR colors by choosing a stock image of a bedroom, bathroom, living room, kitchen, dining room or home exterior or by uploading your own image. With a click, you can select a color and “paint” the walls to see how they would look. Choose from preselected coordinated palettes, or select your own colors for a custom look.

• Inspiration galleries: Check out BEHR’s inspiration galleries on its website for style and color ideas for the inside and outside of your home. You can view up-to-date style trends and project ideas.

• Where to buy BEHR paint: BEHR paint can be purchased at any Home Depot location. You can also buy paint samples, gallons and five gallons online.

by Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

BEHR Company Information