3.07/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

29 BEHR Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Fist off I have used and recommended Behr paints exclusively for decades. I have painted every room in my own homes with Behr and when I was contracting I painted 100's of homes using only Behr paint. When I didn't paint the job I would recommend Behr paint without hesitation to all of my customers. I've recently begun painting my current home and have had success with Behr paint until yesterday 9/14/19. I had painted 3 rooms and found the paint I purchased at the North Fayette Pa store to be the high quality I have come to expect. It had a thick easy glide application, great coverage and durable coating. I had about 3/4 of a gallon can of the i300 Pro Series ceiling paint left over from painting a kitchen, dining room and 2 bedroom ceilings. This was the 3rd gallon I had bought.

Since I'm 60 years old and have had back and shoulder surgeries, I only buy a gallon at a time because I don't know when my body is going to let me paint anymore. Each new gallon was mixed and matched the previous ones perfectly. Sadly yesterday was not the same, not only did the color not match when dried but the paint was thin and watery. I returned to the store today 9/15/19 to register my complaints - 1. I was thoroughly disappointed in the match and quality of the paint and 2. I was thoroughly pissed that I had to repaint my ceiling on a Sunday that I had planned to go fishing with my son. They told me it was unlikely they could match the original color for some reason I don't understand. So they mixed me some paint and I expected to have to repaint the entire ceiling. What I didn't expect was the poor quality of the paint they gave me. Calling it paint is being generous, it was more of a whitewash.

The coverage was dreadful, it streaked and matched nothing. Also this paint was so thin it spattered everywhere. Think of loading your brush with milk and trying to be neat. I covered everything, abandoned the roller after one pass and used only a brush, and I'm a neat painter, still I have speckles on windows, HVAC covers, switch covers, walls...everywhere. If you use this liquid, order a pallet of single edge razor blades and schedule 2-3 vacation days for clean up. I don't know if it was a change in the base or what but Behr has gone from a high quality dependable paint to a tub of toilet water.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

OK so I buy a 5 gallon bucket of Behr paint and lug it home several miles away and get ready to use it by removing the twist off pouring lid. Needless to say, this cannot be done by hand since the "moat" around the lid is too narrow to fit your fingers to get a good turn. So now it's remove paint clothes, get dressed, drive 12 miles back to Home Depot to buy some stupid ** opener that should not be needed in the first damn place! Who designs these stupid things?

Get expert buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

DeckOver: Absolute worst coating....ever...In 2016, my back deck (DeckOver applied 2 years prior) was again showing sign of peeling, bare spots, and blisters (loose to the touch, sometimes split/cracked etc). As well, many of the boards showed signs of rotting underneath the coating. After replacing about half the boards, decided to re-apply a new coating of DeckOver. All instructions were followed carefully, sanding down old material, replacing boards as needed, applying out of direct sunlight etc. That was in 2016. By the summer of 2017, the above noted defects started to reappear.

This spring (2019), cracks, blisters and peeling were even more pronounced. Two weeks ago while sitting on a chair on the deck, a chair leg went through a board (rotted from underneath). Took a scraper and lifted a lot of loose material. Verdict: water/moisture remains trapped between the coating and the wood, exacerbating and accelerating rot. The result is that the wood is unable to 'breathe’. This is the second time I have put my confidence in this product but no more. I now have to replace the entire deck but this time WITHOUT this poor product.

Original review: July 28, 2019

Behr premium matte paint is awful. Does not cover and blotchy after 2 coats. Behr premium semi gloss white would not cover trim in 3 coats. Wasted my time and money. The primer and one paint is a scam to sell the paint. In the long run you spend a lot more money.

Original review: July 26, 2019

You would think after four consecutive summers of watching the previous year's applied two coats of Behr Deck Stain starting to lift and peel I would know better. But No, last August I rented a floor sander from the local hardware store and again proceeded to sand my mahogany deck back to bare wood - again. And again I purchased 6 gallons of semi-transparent Behr deck stain from Home Depot and spent an entire Sat applying 2 coats. Here we are, 7-25-19 and the deck is peeling again. Thompson water seal here we come!!!! Angry Home Owner, Wolfeboro, NH.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BEHR?

Original review: July 12, 2019

We had a professional painter paint our dining room wall with Behr Premium Plus Ultra in Matte finish. While he was painting it smelled like new paint but a couple of days later it smelled like a wet dog. It only got worse over the next few days even after my wife ran two fans on the wall and kept the windows open. We mentioned it to Home Depot where we purchased the paint and they had never heard of this. They suggested we work with Behr on this issue. John at Behr suggested that the issue may be related to several other factors unrelated to the paint.

He also suggested that we cover it with Kilz primer to get rid of the smell. He did offer to cover the cost of the paint and primer which is the only reason I gave a 2-star rating instead of 1-star. We asked for reimbursement for the cost of the paint and he said that it's their policy not to cover labor costs. The did ask for a sample of the paint to test it for bacteria which we provided. Of course they reported that the test didn't show any problems and they didn't notice any smells after they painted a small swatch. They should have painted an entire wall in their own home and reported back after a week. ;)

Nevertheless, we put 2 coats of Kilz primer over the wall which removed the dog smell and then purchased another gallon of Behr paint from another Home Depot. We thought that maybe our local store had a bad batch. Speaking of which the both gallons were Batch #1753. On a side note, a year or so earlier we had painted another room in the house with the same Behr paint but that was batch #1473 and it didn't smell. After painting the second round of Behr paint the exact same thing happened as before: smelled fine when wet then a couple of days/weeks later it smelled like wet dog or ammonia. Two months later the smell has lessen but it's not gone.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Purchased June 2019 - for shutters, steps, front door, front porch - product does not spread. It is like paste that sticks and dries and can't smooth it out. Eight shutters = 16 hours of difficulty. Six steps another 6 hours of work - installed today - paint peels off and shows every foot step! I purchased two gallons (about $80) - however, I will NOT use on porch so have to purchase a different paint - NOT BEHR, NOT DECKOVER!!!! Worse experience I have ever had with any paint product. It was grueling hard work for the result to be half-** no matter what was done and disappointing the horrible quality of the product. Time, energy, money - WASTED!!!! DO NOT PURCHASE THIS CRAP!

Original review: June 30, 2019

I’ve been using BEHR paint for years. I painted my shed over 10 years ago and it has stood up to the harsh sea coast salt and weather. 2 years ago I painted my garage with it and today it looks as good as the day I painted it. I recently switched from a BM oil based stain because the quality of the product has gone downhill. It no longer has the oil smell and begins to peel after 2 years. I’ve never seen stain peel. Now I am painting my house with the same Behr paint.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I used BEHR's Porch and Patio paint on a cedar wood deck. For two years the paint would bubble and peel off like cheap wallpaper. The paint does not breath and traps moisture and actually causes damage to the wood surface. I had contacted BEHR (MASCO CORP) and provided samples and photos. They said they conducted an analysis but provided no proof, they did not indicate what caused the damage but only stated that the paint was not the cause. Not an honest company.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I purchased this paint on 04/02/2019 from the Iron Mountain Michigan Home Depot. I hired a painter to paint my kitchen. I noticed a problem with coverage right away. (The walls had been properly prepared.) I thought it would look better when it dried. It did not. The painter had to go over it again. Now the original color was a cream color so there shouldn't have been a problem. Even after two coats it is still blotchy with the cream color showing through everywhere. I don't know what to do. I tried the 800 number but it will not connect me to a customer service person. It just goes in an endless loop of options. I tried the website to chat and no one ever came online. My last project I used Valspar from Lowe's and it was excellent. Covered a dark color in just one coat.

BEHR expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

BEHR makes interior and exterior paints and primers, wood stains, finishes, strippers, cleaners, floor coatings, sealants and specialty products like stucco and roof paints.

• ColorSmart tool: You can preview BEHR colors by choosing a stock image of a bedroom, bathroom, living room, kitchen, dining room or home exterior or by uploading your own image. With a click, you can select a color and “paint” the walls to see how they would look. Choose from preselected coordinated palettes, or select your own colors for a custom look.

• Inspiration galleries: Check out BEHR’s inspiration galleries on its website for style and color ideas for the inside and outside of your home. You can view up-to-date style trends and project ideas.

• Where to buy BEHR paint: BEHR paint can be purchased at any Home Depot location. You can also buy paint samples, gallons and five gallons online.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
      Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

BEHR Company Information