2. Homeowners
  3. Paint Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.58/5

BEHR Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BEHR?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about BEHR?

Original review: July 8, 2020

My wife and I painted my house with Behr Ultra, satin exterior paint and it has been the worst nightmare of our lives. I have never been so disappointed with the business practices of a company before now. We painted this house 10 yrs ago with Valspar paint 5 gallons of pale yellow paint and it covered with one coat and it looked great. We recently had to paint it again only because we replaced some of the exterior wood. Old Valspar paint Still looked good. Went to Consumer Reports and they ranked Behr Ultra #1 so that’s what we used. Bad mistake. After 4 coats and 16 gallons of paint it looks good till it dries. Then it becomes real spotty looking.

Contacted Behr and Sent everything they asked for, pictures, bar code numbers, pictures of the 5 gallon cans, etc. Waited and waited for Answers. Finally After more than A Month and Me Calling them every other day they came back And Said it was our Fault because we picked too Dark of a color. But that after they analyzed the Paint they were sure one More coat would do and that they would reimburse me for the paint. I Didn’t take the money and am Now planning to take further action.

Original review: July 1, 2020

The BEHR Marquee One Coat Hide Guaranteed Ultra Formula, White No. 3450 requires 2-3 coats over a white to light surface. It drys almost immediately and because it is ridiculously runny, it drips terribly. VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Get buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2020

Ordered paint 4/11, informed at check out delivery would be 4/22 (In-store) for one color and other color 4/30 (At Home). Thought at the time of ordering this was a long time to wait for paint, but figured at the time it was due to COVID which makes sense. After 4/22 date was missed, called to check status of order. Home Depot said pending vendor delivery. So I called Behr who said there will be another 10-14 day delay in addition to the original delivery date. No communication was provided by Behr regarding this at the time of ordering and communication of delay was sent via email days after I called Behr to check on delayed status. Called again today to check on status, now saying 10-16 day delay which now has me concerned delivery will be extended beyond that.

Cannot cancel my order, states they will not charge me for order until items are delivered but they have not even processed my order yet. Poor Home Depot employees have no idea what is going on, just that vendor is preparing to ship. Overall, poor communication from Behr. I recognize this is a pandemic and delivery will be delayed but better communication should occur. Ultimately going with SW for my paint they are able to have my order ready in 10-15 minutes of me calling. Once Behr finally delivers I will be charged and hopefully have no issues returning paint to Home Depot at the time.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I sent everything the lawsuit asked for and was denied anything. I sent pics of bar codes and original buckets I still possessed. I sent pics of my deck peeling. I my deck is in horrible condition due to this product and I urge anyone not to purchase their products. I just repainted my pool rails this past summer and it's peeling also. I am beginning to think all Behr products are expensive crap! I feel like they should stand behind their products. Now my deck is pretty much ruined. We have tried to pressure wash the existing deck over off and that did even more extensive damage to our deck. This is sickening to spend close to $400 bucks on a product to ruin a 6000-8000 dollar deck.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I submitted everything according to guidelines perfectly. After waiting 3 months and receiving nothing I checked online. It claimed I didn't have the purchase date and receipt number. The numbers and date are on both the receipt from store and the online email receipt that I printed. They were also on the forms. Of course they have everything that proves I did it right. I will never waste time buying BEHR Paint again. I'm out that $120.00 rebate that I was counting on to make my project affordable. I will try other brands to other that have just as good quality and more affordable.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Originally, my shutters and garage door were painted with Behr in a dark brown color. I recently tried a much lighter (almost tan) color using a different brand. I didn't like the color, so I then bought some new Behr paint in exactly the same dark brown. Today I put on the second coat of dark brown and see that AT LEAST one more coat will be required. Luckily I ran out of Behr and will be buying a different brand of paint as these stuff is terrible.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

What I thought would be a 1 coat wonder has become a 3 coat nightmare with several trips to Home Depot culminating in additional expenses. After one coat there was no way this would only be SINGLE coat job. I applied a second coat and then there were still roller marks and streaks. I purchased a gallon initially for this "1 coat job" and then had to purchase a quart yesterday to apply a 3rd coat (I'm only painting one accent wall). This morning there are still streaks and roller marks. Never again will I purchase this product or brand. For now, I will live with this misery and will paint over it another time with a DIFFERENT brand. I'm very unhappy!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

The marquis is their premium paint. It is supposed to cover in 1 coat. It does not. It took 3 coats to cover. My walls were white and the marquis paint was white. What's the problem BEHR. IT STILL SHOWS BRUSH MARKS.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

This was my first time painting with BEHR and it will be my last. I purchased Behr Ultra. Since it was my kitchen, I was talked into a satin finish (when I wanted eggshell because I didn't want a sheen). I am painting over a pale gray and it's taken me three coats. Finally, I have coverage but, I see roller marks everywhere! I used the best low nap roller that money can buy. I'm not ever touching the second gallon. I'm purchasing different paint and starting over again. Worst paint ever.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Fist off I have used and recommended Behr paints exclusively for decades. I have painted every room in my own homes with Behr and when I was contracting I painted 100's of homes using only Behr paint. When I didn't paint the job I would recommend Behr paint without hesitation to all of my customers. I've recently begun painting my current home and have had success with Behr paint until yesterday 9/14/19. I had painted 3 rooms and found the paint I purchased at the North Fayette Pa store to be the high quality I have come to expect. It had a thick easy glide application, great coverage and durable coating. I had about 3/4 of a gallon can of the i300 Pro Series ceiling paint left over from painting a kitchen, dining room and 2 bedroom ceilings. This was the 3rd gallon I had bought.

Since I'm 60 years old and have had back and shoulder surgeries, I only buy a gallon at a time because I don't know when my body is going to let me paint anymore. Each new gallon was mixed and matched the previous ones perfectly. Sadly yesterday was not the same, not only did the color not match when dried but the paint was thin and watery. I returned to the store today 9/15/19 to register my complaints - 1. I was thoroughly disappointed in the match and quality of the paint and 2. I was thoroughly pissed that I had to repaint my ceiling on a Sunday that I had planned to go fishing with my son. They told me it was unlikely they could match the original color for some reason I don't understand. So they mixed me some paint and I expected to have to repaint the entire ceiling. What I didn't expect was the poor quality of the paint they gave me. Calling it paint is being generous, it was more of a whitewash.

The coverage was dreadful, it streaked and matched nothing. Also this paint was so thin it spattered everywhere. Think of loading your brush with milk and trying to be neat. I covered everything, abandoned the roller after one pass and used only a brush, and I'm a neat painter, still I have speckles on windows, HVAC covers, switch covers, walls...everywhere. If you use this liquid, order a pallet of single edge razor blades and schedule 2-3 vacation days for clean up. I don't know if it was a change in the base or what but Behr has gone from a high quality dependable paint to a tub of toilet water.

BEHR author review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

BEHR makes interior and exterior paints and primers, wood stains, finishes, strippers, cleaners, floor coatings, sealants and specialty products like stucco and roof paints.

• ColorSmart tool: You can preview BEHR colors by choosing a stock image of a bedroom, bathroom, living room, kitchen, dining room or home exterior or by uploading your own image. With a click, you can select a color and “paint” the walls to see how they would look. Choose from preselected coordinated palettes, or select your own colors for a custom look.

• Inspiration galleries: Check out BEHR’s inspiration galleries on its website for style and color ideas for the inside and outside of your home. You can view up-to-date style trends and project ideas.

• Where to buy BEHR paint: BEHR paint can be purchased at any Home Depot location. You can also buy paint samples, gallons and five gallons online.

by Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

BEHR Company Information