2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.25/5

Take a Home Warranties, Service Plans Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs. The company has three plans with optional add-ons: Standard, Ultimate and Platinum. Coverage is only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C., though.

Take a Home Warranties, Service Plans Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: May 18, 2020

Do not use this home warranty company. They did not help me in many ways. I had to find my own repair persons. I made multiple calls to ORH. NO RECORD of my calls when promises were made. I was verbally approved to have repairs done by one staff member, but the next one told me that the staff member made a mistake, and I will not be given reimbursement for the work I needed to be done and had done. Plumbing issue! Due to the pipe running on the outside of the house, umm, all plumbing has to run to the outside of your house, where else would it dump out. A main line blockage was thus not covered! And had I not taken care of the blockage in time and my house filled with sewage, apparently, they would not have covered that either!

Original review: May 13, 2020

They are a bunch of scammers, they will not cover anything, they claim everything was a pre-existing condition, warning they are crooked. I had a broken drain. It cost $3,000. They couldn't care less. I ONLY GAVE THEM 1 STAR BECAUSE I COULDN'T LEAVE IT BLANK...

Original review: May 11, 2020

I have a Platinum type of account. Which means the customer is expecting to get the highest level of claims experience. My first claim was a disaster frustrations onward. There were 3 plumbing issues I raised. A water leak from a pipe outside the structure of my home by the foundation, another leak from my kitchen incinerator and lastly a leak from a faucet in a bathroom upstairs.

The provider then came to fix the leaking pipe outside cutting my sidewall wood panel to 20x20 to get access to the pipe where the only fix done was patching with a cement type clay on the pipe where the leak is! I said what???? How long will this last? 2nd frustration, faucet was being replaced with a $10.00 faucet! I said what??? Having a platinum insurance and this is what I get??? I then ended up buying at least a better quality faucet worth $75.00. After all job has been done according the provider, the next morning came. I woke up, my bathroom upstairs is flooded with water leaking out of the old hot and cold distribution pipe to the new faucet.

I called Old Home Republic Insurance and I was told that they do not cover secondary damage! And I have to get in touch with the provided and go after them. This insurance is telling me that there's nothing they can do on the possible ceiling bubbles and broken ceiling fan caused by the water leak that flowed downstairs to the dining area soaking the carpet with water leaks. I then called the provider and telling me that I have to call my home insurance as they also does not cover the damage! They can only come back to do a back job. My goodness! I am left alone dealing with this aftermath! And worst, I was claiming for $75.00 reimbursement on the faucet I bought out of my pocket as I was earlier advised by an agent before I bought this faucet of my own that I can just call and claim for a reimbursement.

I then called and to add to my overwhelming frustrations, I was told that they will not give me reimbursement as the $10.00 faucet is a standard replacement stated in my plan. That being said, I have Platinum account and this is the service I got. How much more for a lower plan level. Choosing Old Republic Home Protection as your insurer is a huge mistake!

Original review: May 6, 2020

Purchased a place in the Phoenix area and it came with this home warranty. As soon as we needed the AC it didn't work. Called in 5 AM on a Wednesday, Thursday the repairman came and worked on the unit but it needed a compressor. By Monday I receive a call that the compressor needed to be replaced and would be covered under warranty...it will be "ordered" and it will take a few days to get there. I had to buy a stand alone unit for my family to use. $400 to keep one room cool to survive the weekend. So now it's been over a week and I'm losing my temper. Called some random repair guy just to see what it would cost and how long I should expect it to take and he told me he could have it done today...what the heck?? Supervisor (from ORHP) calls me to inform me work will be done by tomorrow...I'm not going to hold my breath.

Original review: May 6, 2020

Based on other reviews, a lot of this is going on. Avoid this company at all costs if you can. I purchased a home two months ago and a warranty was included in the sale. I had an electric hot water heater that was way too small for the house--we couldn't even fill up a bathtub. I called to see if it would be covered to get a bigger one that would work with the house. I figured it might not be. I was told DIRECTLY by two different people that it was indeed covered and to go ahead and request service on it. Fast forward two weeks later, and after hearing nothing from the company, I call to only be told that it is not covered and they would not honor the request. A supervisor called and argued with me about the issue and said if I decided to take them to court, they would be covered.

I was lied to and instead of the company making it right, I was treated as if I had done something wrong. I did my due diligence in the beginning, was told one thing, and then the company completely reneged on their word. It was an absolute awful way to do business and one of many reasons this company has such low ratings. I would NEVER voluntarily do business with this company again. The supervisor admitted that the company made a mistake, but said the right thing was just to tell me that instead of fixing it. AWFUL customer service. I could go on and on, but just know this....this company will lie to you and not think one thing about it. They will not honor their word. A terrible company, plain and simple.

Original review: April 29, 2020

This company Old Republic will in fact lie to you, and steal from you. I am a disabled man living alone in Arizona and now it's 104 outside and 95 in my home and ac doesn't work from a poor repair made months ago from Old Republic and now I'm literally dying in my home and just want to be comfortable and literally no one cares at all especially this "Sierra" in customer service. This "Sierra" actually laughed at me when explaining my situation. I believe ill call the media and an attorney... BOTTOM LINE: Old Republic will lie and steal from you, EVEN of you're dying. Very low ethics if any at all, DO NOT USE THEM. Good luck God bless.

Original review: April 16, 2020

They could not get a contractor to my house when my toilets in a brand new home were backing up. They told me to find someone myself and remit the claim after. They denied the claim as something not covered because it was in the yard and not inside the house. They wouldn't have paid the entire amount of the claim even had it been covered. They suck. I would NEVER buy a home warranty. They make a killing of people dumb enough to buy one.

Original review: March 28, 2020

For the past two years I had been perfectly happy with ORHP, no issues, great price point, and had all repair requests approved and handled promptly. However, I can no longer leave a good review. During renewal, I learned how outdated and inflexible they are as a company. Two years ago, my Realtor signed me up for the first year free as a perk of buying a new home. I had no control over the plan I was given. Upon renewal a year later, I removed the refrigerator coverage which cost $75 as I knew I would be getting a new one that would come with 1-year warranty. When it came time for my 3rd renewal this past February, I tried to add the refrigerator back on and was told once something is removed it can NEVER be added back on.

Furthermore, I discovered that my washer/dryer were never added on the policy by my Realtor and I could also NEVER add these appliances on, not even at renewal. So basically, the plan is unchangeable from day one so the plan you get is the plan you keep until you die. How outdated this is! I have never heard of an insurance company denying additional coverage. It would be like never being allowed to get insurance on your new car because it was not insured when you signed up for the policy 10 years ago. Or denying someone maternity coverage because they did not add it on their insurance policy when they were born. OHRP was firm on this, no flexibility whatsoever. They would rather lose a customer than be flexible and allow me to add on the refrigerator and washer/dryer. I was trying to throw extra money at them, and they refused it so I took my business elsewhere who values the customer.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I have a plumbing issue in my kitchen causing both sinks to be backed up. There is no one contracted with Old Republic in this area to fix the issue. I can find someone on my own, pay the entire bill and then wait to be reimbursed by Old Republic or I can wait for another 7 days for Old Republic to send someone to fix it. (An out of area contractor) I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. I can pay the service fees but not the entire bill. I, also, need to be able to use the kitchen sink. This is the second time I have called Old Republic this year requesting services that are covered under my plan just to be told that there are no providers to send. I have been a faithful customer for 10 years, but I think it’s time to take my money elsewhere. So disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

To sell my house, agents required I provide them with a work service history. Old Republic doesn't have anything online that I can print out... only the services requested in the past 90 days. When I called sales/customer service, they were perplexed at such a request. Their supervisor was unwilling to even send a statement to me indicating no services had been rendered since my contract. This demonstrates zero accountability.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information