Learn More

4.5/5 (241 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: July 25, 2021

I worked for the water plant at the time. I knew what was left in the water and I didn't wanna drink it. Because all the water plant does is take the dirt out of the water, and then chlorinate it to kill any bacteria. It doesn't take any of the dissolved stuff out of the water, chemicals and stuff like that. We live in Louisiana. We get our water from the Mississippi, which is the toilet bowl of America. Everybody and their cousin abuses the Mississippi River, so I didn't want it to be ingested in my family's bodies. And working for waterworks, I realized that. That's why I started selling Kinetico.

Setting up the system and installing it was easy outside. I was a little disappointed on the inside installation, going from under the counter to my refrigerator. The tech drilled holes through my cabinet and past the hose, the PVC tubing, too close to one of the drawers in the cabinet and it pinched it and it kept having leaks. I could hear the pressure tank filling up constantly and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. It wasn't until I remodeled my kitchen that I found it, and that upset me, that I had water damage from the installation.

But after I put in new cabinets and fixed the floors, I ran the PVC tubing through a conduit. That way, the tubing couldn't get damaged at the back of the cabinet. So, that was a plus. It was sort of an extra protection because anything in the cabinet could cut the tubing. And by putting it inside of a piece of conduit, PVC pipe, just something small enough to pass it through to give it extra protection, that I wouldn't have to replace floors again or cabinets.

Everybody in Louisiana that pulls water from the Mississipi ought to have something because there's just so much chemical dumps in the river. It's not healthy for the body. We use it for coffee and our sleep apnea machines. And there's never any build-up, crust or sediment inside the machines. I don't have scale build-up on it and that's nice. And when I order new filters, I usually get two, one to change at that time and one I can change later on. And that way, Kinetico doesn't have to come out and do it. Less hassle for them. You get two brain cells to rub together, it's not that hard to do it.

Original review: July 25, 2021

We upgraded the water system in our home to the Kinetico brand. We use Kinetico in our business as well. So we thought it was a good set. We’ve been pleased with the system. It works well.

Kinetico response

Thanks David, for your support of the Kinetico brand!

Original review: July 24, 2021

I'm in New Orleans, so we don't have good tap water. We've liked the quality of our water since getting our Kinetico system installed. The installer has checked in on us. A couple of times, he came and changed the filter.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I like having a water purifier. I'm drinking pure water and I don't have to get water delivered. I had to contact them recently because the system turned itself off. It does that when it runs out of purification and I found out that it was my icemaker making it run out so fast so I just turn it on when I need it. Everything is still working fine.

Original review: July 23, 2021

The installation went pretty well. The techs came when they said they would and got everything put in. We have well water and it has a lot of iron. It was really staining up our appliances. There has been a big difference with the iron. I wear white uniform shirts to work and they would turn yellow. Since we got the system, we haven't had that problem. I can launder them again. But, I have to replace the little sediment filter on the outside more often because we have so much iron. That filter fogs up and lowers a lot of pressure. Usually, about every six months I have to change it. The guy told me that normally, it would be a year.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Since having Kinetico, I've had no issues with the water staining. The grout stays white in the shower and the showerhead doesn't start spraying into funky patterns because of calcium build-up on the little sprayhead. Also, my wife and I are both self-proclaimed water snobs now because we go to other places or drink bottled water and find out the water that we drink does not taste anywhere as good as the water that comes out of our water dispenser.

Original review: July 22, 2021

I had a different softener when I bought my house in 2004. It wasn't a purely mechanical one like this Kinetico I have. The Kinetico is much better and since switching over, I've noticed my water is soft. I had a couple of issues like when the salt's crusty but the vendor was able to resolve them. I just contact them and they're very responsive. I definitely recommend Kinetico.

Original review: July 22, 2021

I purchased a whole water system and the installation was fine. The water quality seems to be a lot better as far as taste since the system was installed.

Original review: July 21, 2021

The installation was fine. I've seen a difference in the water.

Original review: July 21, 2021

I got the Kinetico system that purifies water for the faucet and I also got the whole system for the house. The only thing is I gotta change filters every couple of years and the filters aren't cheap. Other than that, it's a great system and it works for me.

Original review: July 20, 2021

When Kinetico came to my house and pitched their system to me, it was great. The reps tested my water but what they forgot to mention was the continuous water filters that I have to buy. So, it's not just the high price of the system, it's the constant changing of the filters. If your whole house is salt water, you can't drink that. So then, they need to put a filtration system with reverse osmosis, which I don't really like, and that needs a filter as well. So, you need two filters, and then you need a mineral thing for your drinking water, and then you need to pay for the technician to come and change them out. And at the end of the day, the cost is $400.

I wouldn't mind buying filters if they weren't $400 a pop. That's a big expense, especially nowadays with people unemployed, with COVID hitting and all that. I've even gone as far as trying to find the filters myself online because what the tech does is just opens the thing and pops the new filter in like it's no big deal. But they charge hundreds of dollars for him to come out.

For this year, I'm actually due for the filter to be changed but I haven't called them out to come. It's discouraging because I'm still paying every month for the filtration system because it was something that's financed and I'm not even able to pay for the filters. If the filters are backed up and dirty, it's almost like not having the filtration system. I'm happy with the system itself but I'm not happy with the experience with the salespeople.

Original review: July 20, 2021

The water softener is a pricey investment, but we're happy that we did it. We've had it for 20 years.

Original review: July 16, 2021

We have been satisfied with Kinetico. The quality of the water has been good.

Original review: July 10, 2021

We have had the Kinetico K5 under cabinet system for over 8 years now. I absolutely hate it. It cost far more than comparable systems in the first place (I didn't choose it) and every 6-8 months when it is time to replace the filter cartridges, we get gouged again. If you are considering Kinetico, keep the following in mind:

-Other filter systems are available for much less initial cost.
-You can ONLY get Kinetico replacement filters from your Kinetico dealer. They aren't available online except for a few sales here and there on eBay or Amazon.

-Nothing in the system as they install it is compatible with standard plumbing. We had a kitchen flood and the contractor had to take the system out when they gutted and rebuilt the system. Experienced contractors and plumbers were not able to reinstall the K5 because NO standard plumbing fittings work. We had to call Kinetico for them to come out and reinstall with their special (very flimsy plastic) fittings (of course for several hundred $$).

Does it work and filter water? Sure. But be prepared to pay, and pay, and pay.

Original review: July 4, 2021

Kinetico has been great. But our first install guy was having a bad day, apparently. We didn't use it for almost a year and we kept having issues. Finally, they sent another technician out. They were able to go back ‘cause they wondered if we had messed with it. When I said, “we haven't touched it yet,” he was like, “Let me look at the install.” I had to take pictures of it when they installed it and he said, “Nope. He hooked it up backwards and hooked it up wrong when he installed it.” So, they were very great and said, “That's our bad. We'll give you a free set of filters and get it fixed right for you.” The under the sink one has been working fine since day one, but the whole home one that was in the closet was backward for the first year.

Out here where we're at in Central Texas and on well water, it's really rough, as far as hard water and all the deposits in it. So, it helps out quite a bit. It's going through a little more salt than I would assume most just because of where we are, but it's done great. We haven't had any issues with it since they came back and fixed it. I'd absolutely recommend Kinetico and especially, the local company we deal with out of Round Rock. I don't know how often we changed the filters on the under-sink one. I'm in there usually once every couple of months and they've been great. All of the installers, even the guy who hooked it up wrong when he first came out was super good to deal with. The system is also not overly expensive. It doesn't take a ton of maintenance. Overall, just a good experience.

Original review: July 3, 2021

I called techs out to see if I could have a water softener. Culligan couldn't do it but Kinetico said they figured out a way. Because they couldn't connect the system from outside, they connected it to the water heater. But then I ended up having a leak from the installation and the floors got wet. I had to replace the flooring. But other than that, that was good. For the water drinking system, I have to replace the filters in that once a year. I would probably choose Kinetico over Culligan because I like that it's small and compact, whereas the Culligan machine is tall. And then, this one, I only have to put the salt in it once every two to three months.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Kinetico has been a blessing to me. They've been very good. I've been very proud of the product. They came in, set it up before I even moved in, and it was done. They were efficient.

Original review: July 1, 2021

We bought a house that had a Kinetico in it. Then we moved and I bought another one. They're 100% effective. The system takes care of the problems. It's been a great experience.

Original review: June 25, 2021

The installers were very responsible about the time to coordinate everything. We had a little problem though. Our water softener stopped working properly all of a sudden, and we were very concerned because it was only three years old. The other one that we had lasted more than more than 12 years. Kinetico came and repaired our water softener two times, and whatever they did, it was not doing the job. They kept on telling us, "It's gonna take two weeks before you can get soft water." I was like, "It doesn't take two weeks when you replace a new one. How come you're going to fix something that it's gonna take two weeks?" "I don't know, but this is the way. Unless you empty your water heater completely, then you can have soft water."

Two weeks after, it was still not working properly. We were concerned because we had to pay $160-something for the guy to come. Before the two weeks, we had to call them back and then, after that, we had to call them back again. We were like, "Are they trying to charge us again another $160-something?" The third time, the guy that came did the job and explained that whatever they did was not right, but that he was going to fix it. He did.

Original review: June 24, 2021

Kinetico came out, tested our water, told us what type of unit we needed and had it put in right away. It's been working fine. Everything is a lot softer and the toilet stays cleaner. We've had a good experience.

Original review: June 23, 2021

We replaced the system we had with a Kinetico. The techs' installation was great. We're happy. It doesn't use half the salt the other one used. I'm having my daughter get one.

Original review: June 22, 2021

When the tech got here and put everything together, he showed us how the system worked. Since getting Kinetico, there has been a big difference in the water for the house. Our skin is softer. Kinetico is a bit more expensive that most providers but as far as the quality and how it works, I'm very happy with it. And anytime I need something, I just call them right away. They're well worth it.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Made appointment for them to come out to talk about new system. They called a day later to verify the time and day they would be here. No show. Still waiting 3 hours later, not even a phone call or anything.

Original review: June 21, 2021

We had a Whirlpool water softener and it wasn't very good. We went with Kinetico and immediately realized that for two or three years the water softener we have wasn't even working. My Kinetico works well.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Our water softener pooped out. The tech did great. One of the advantages of my Kinetico is that there is less equipment. It fits in the space better. The part that's inside the house is much smaller and easier to put salt pellets into.

Original review: June 19, 2021

We really liked the Kinetico on how it does its refresh. It doesn't use electricity, the bin for the salt is huge, so we're not having to check it every week. The rep was very pleasant. We asked a lot of questions but he took time. Any kind of challenging questions we gave him, he answered. It was very pleasant. I would definitely recommend Kinetico. I really enjoy the unit. It's very quiet and we don't hear it inside the house.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I've had Kinetico now for a long time and they upgraded me. They put a whole new system in with a charcoal filter. The installer was lousy. He wouldn’t do what I told him to do. When he originally put the water softener in, they had to run a pipe across the floor. So, I built a platform and I wanted the pipes to run underneath that platform and they ran above it instead. So, as I walk going to the utility room, I step on the pipes. Also, I don't like that small saltbox they gave me. I put salt in it too often. I'd like a bigger salt brine tank and a good plumber. Other than that, the water tastes better.

Original review: June 17, 2021

We had heavy chlorine in our water, and we didn't want to drink chlorine. We got the water softener and the water filter for alkaline from Kinetico. They had the best reviews from what we looked at. The people we worked with were all pretty friendly and knowledgeable. Since having our Kinetico, our clothes don't stink when we wash it because of like the heavy chlorine. The water tastes better, too. We've always liked alkaline water anyway.

Original review: June 5, 2021

I’m very disappointed with Kinetico. We've had the guys come out a couple of times and they did the checking the water and all the chemicals and minerals. It looks good or non-existent, but it has a funky taste. So they came out and they super chlorinated the system. It got better, but still, we don't drink the water. The installer guy said, “We put a reverse osmosis system in.” He offered a good price, but then it takes up so much under counter space.

If we run the system, then this black funky mold starts coming in the washing machine and both of the toilets. The president of the company and I have each other’s phone numbers. We've talked so much. He said, "Go ahead and cut the system off, let the city water go through and chlorine and all that will kill that funky black stuff.” And which it does. But we had the system on for about two days. The towels have got to be washed. They stink. So we've got the system cut off right now.

Original review: June 4, 2021

Kinetico works great. I haven't had a problem in the five years that I've had it. The filter system takes out chemicals in the water. Now, the dishwasher's clean.

Kinetico Company Information