4.5/5 (272 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: June 18, 2022

Kinetico has been good. We have the reverse osmosis water filtration system installed and they were courteous. It wasn't a huge system this time like some of the ones we put in but it went well.

Original review: June 17, 2022

I liked the people who came and brought the system because they showed us things about it. I had to call one time about something and the reps were so nice about it. I would recommend Kinetico. It makes you feel secure that you're not drinking something that will make you sick.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I got a black, dual-tank water softener from Kinetico. I also had the three cartridge RO unit. I can get my wife to drink water now since having the system, which is important. The water’s much softer. It's easier to wash our hair. The dishes come out cleaner. There's no water staining on them. Kinetico is a great water softener. It doesn't require electricity to use. It’s all mechanical. It's very easy to maintain. It's self-cleaning. I definitely recommend it.

Original review: June 6, 2022

After finding out from a local tech that our water softener (gearbox) was defective the entire 2.5 years we had it and was dumping the nasty cleaning water into our drinking system, I contacted Kinetico to express my frustrations. In return I got an explanation that each unit is quality tested before shipment and no apologies/concerns. The only thing they offered was to contact the installer about the problem but that was a useless gesture since it was a factory defect. Zero accountability. This is not how you should treat your customers.

Hi Michael,

We confirmed that your product is 3.5 years old and still covered by the Factory Warranty. However, as discussed with Kinetico's Customer Support team, this Limited Warranty does not cover the dealer's cost of service.

Most Kinetico dealers offer a 1 year service warranty, not all; but most. Had your installing dealer been notified that you were experiencing salt water intrusion from a product malfunction within the 1st year, their cost of service would probably have been covered.

We are very sorry that the name Kinetico has not lived up to your or our expectations. Please feel free to connect with Kinetico's customer support team with any additional questions at 800.944.9283 or customersupport@kinetico.com

Original review: June 6, 2022

So far, our Kinetico experience has been great. The product works.

Original review: June 5, 2022

I got the Kinetico softener and later, the RO. I love drinking the RO water. The software is taking care of our water concerns. Our water feels different. It's clean, and it stops the rust. I put salt in it and change the filter, and call people out for maintenance. The system is very good. I would recommend others to get it.

Original review: June 4, 2022

Kinetico's initial explanation of what was going on was really helpful. They educated the consumer, which is something we really tried to do in our businesses. The product has done a good job. We do save money on salt because it does not use up salt very quickly, which is good. That's been effective as far as helping us to save on our budget. It's just we live in an older house and I do think that there's some residue and stuff inside of our pipes that keep it from making our water rust-free. It is a little bit frustrating given the price of the system. Our water's much better, but it's not by any means perfect. So, it would have been good if they gave an explanation of what are some of the issues that may not be resolved with the system. That way, there'd be a little bit of a clearer understanding.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Many, many years ago, I had a bad experience with Kinetico and I said I would never use them again. But I wanted to put a reverse osmosis system in my home and I didn't know who else to call. So I went with them because there aren't a lot of businesses to choose from in this community. As the RO system goes, I'm happy with it. I have noticed a positive change with my water.

I did have an issue that I wanted Kinetico to come out and look at it. I'm less than two miles from the Kinetico facility and they have no problem sending somebody out when they want to sell the system to you. But they were going to charge me $100 just to come out and do a water test for me. That did not sit very well with me. It was an $800 system and I've only had it for two and a half years. So they shouldn't have charged me $100 for that service call, but that's their policy. So I just opted not to do it. I didn't feel it was warranted to spend that kind of money for a six-minute drive.

Original review: June 2, 2022

We never had any problems with our Kinetico water softener.

Original review: June 1, 2022

All my three daughters had Kinetico water softeners, and all of them were very happy with the product. I also got one and it seems to get the iron out of my water. Now, I'm happy with that. I've called with questions, and they've always answered. So, I've been happy with that, too. The service is good.

Original review: May 31, 2022

We have the dual-tank water softener and the RO system from Kinetico. It’s been good and easy to use. The quality is perfect. I recommend it to everybody.

Original review: May 30, 2022

My experience was good. The guy knew what he was talking about, and when he got the system ordered, it didn't take long to put it in. It's been three years since I've had the system, and there are no rusting nuts around the sinks in different areas. I also like that the system doesn't use the salt that some cheaper brands of softeners use.

Original review: May 28, 2022

We've had our Kinetico for three years. When we started working with them, it was very quick and seamless. I would recommend them. Having the system, we have clean water. We have filtered water that we drink. There's no more rusting tubes in our bathroom.

Original review: May 24, 2022

We wanted a quality water system, we got it, and now I don't have to worry about it. I get my salt at the store, so that's a regular routine. And when I change the filters on the drinking water, I would have the reps assist me. They're good here. It's seamless. It's worth the investment.

Original review: May 23, 2022

We noticed that the soap comes off easier. Our coffee pot doesn't get the hard water stain. And we don't get that buildup around the water faucets and don't have spots on glasses.

Original review: May 22, 2022

We would see buildup on the plates. We had a system there already, a different brand, but it wasn't working. With Kinetico, we now don't have buildup. Also, anything I've asked for, the reps have been good.

Original review: May 21, 2022

Everybody was nice and courteous. I had the water softener and the mineral filter put in. Now I don't have the iron in my water.

Original review: May 20, 2022

It's a good system. I don't have any issues with it. It's been functioning for five years. Our water is a little less rusty now, but it's still quite a bit rough.

Original review: May 19, 2022

These Costco guys are a straight 3000$ rip off. You can get the product for much cheaper outside of Costco. I contacted local deal for much better price. Local dealer did not charge extra for bypassing, or drilling countertop, or fridge connection.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I've used other systems and I didn't like them. The ones that you buy and do it yourself, I just can't figure out how to program them. But when Kinetico came in, they programmed them all. If I have an issue, they come and take care of it. It's all been great.

Original review: May 15, 2022

The water softener is worth having. It seemed reasonable to me, not having to have electricity to the water softener. It runs when it needs to and doesn't affect anything else I'm doing. The installers had to come back, because one line blew up and caused a leak. We had a water problem. After that, it was fine. The hardest part for me is changing the filter, the way they had them on it. But we have used a lot less salt. And it seems to do the job fine.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Our Kinetico system has been a reliable system. It's low maintenance. We add salt and we don't have to do much more. It does its job of softening our water. My skin is less itchy and less dry.

Original review: May 13, 2022

It worked out well to not have the electric system. Having Kinetico mechanical-driven is very attractive to me. I enjoy it. It's been low maintenance, which is nice. It's been food for a long time. However, if my father's coming to visit me, he always tells me I need to put salt in. I am thinking about calling to make sure because I am hearing a lot of water running.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Dave, the salesman from Kinetico, took care of everything and did a wonderful job. We looked at another competitive product but we went with Dave primarily because we liked him. He was knowledgeable and understood our conditions, and he knew that he could fix them and laid it all out. He was very good at what he does. He was very optimistic and he was very much a "Let's make sure I can help you get it done" kind of guy. And we got it done. The installation went well and all the techs were always great. We did the kitchen filter and a unit down in the basement, which took them a couple of hours.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Kinetico softened my water. I’ve had their system for five years, and I maintain it once a year. Customer service seems fine, and I would tell people to strongly consider it. It’s expensive but worth the consideration.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Kinetico refuses to sell to the public in the US and the service companies charge anywhere from $150-$200 for a service call (at least in my area). Then on top of that my filters are another $300. The installer and salesperson will never tell you this. We are a family of 5, so we typically go through 500 gallons every 4 months. This system is costing me nearly $1500 a year to operate, I also have an r/O system in front of the K5, so I also have salt cost on top of this. I would never recommend a Kinetico system based on the operating cost alone. I will also say that the local installer for me also caused me more than a few issues. As soon as I have the money saved up I will rip this system out and replace it with another brand who does not use proprietary hardware.

Hello Chris,

We checked with Infinity Water, your area Kinetico dealer. They confirmed with us that they have many customers that change their own filters. Most of their customers do have a technician walk them through the first filter change then continue on their own after.

You are correct that Kinetico Incorporated does not sell to the public. We are a manufacturing facility that does not have the resources available to include all the staffing and warehousing involved in Direct to Consumer sales.

We thank you for choosing Kinetico and hope that with some time, you recognize and appreciate the investment you have made in to your family's water.

Please feel free to reach out to Kinetico Customer Support any time at 800.944.9283 or customersupport@kinetico.com

Original review: May 2, 2022

I always had a water filtration system growing up. When we lived in apartments, we couldn't have them so my laundry and my body were just yucky. The water filtration system was one of the very first things we did when we bought our house. Not quite a year after we moved in, we got the reverse osmosis because we were doing a Britta thing and it was so dumb because it was like pour-it-and-fill-her thing then the next day, it was empty. We were spending a lot of money.

When my grandma moved up here from Southern Minnesota, I always heard her refer to Kinetico. I saw that it was family-owned and super close to our house. We called there and never had a problem. Their people were wonderful and super friendly. We were having issues with our softener and the salt wasn't going down. They came out that day to check it. In here, we installed a low pressure water showerhead and theirguys said, “Everything is looking good. It's just you're not using as much salt because you're not using as much water.”

We rent our water heater and reverse osmosis drinking water. It's nice to be able to turn on the drinking water faucet and not worry about filling the Britta and waiting a few minutes until a full glass of water drips down and is filtered. The reverse osmosis works differently and we liked the idea that it would remove more impurities with four filters instead of one little one. The water is really good. It’s just fresh and clean.

Kinetico response

Thank you for sharing your Kinetico experience Bridget!

Original review: May 1, 2022

They recommended the iron filter to help alleviate iron in the water in our area. The product works great. Everybody that I've worked with was great. They're helpful, patient and they answered all my questions. Our water has been great.

Original review: April 30, 2022

The system seems to be working well. But there continues to be problems with getting some of the contaminants out as it is the water in the area that is very unclear. So, I'm not always pleased when I turn on the shower and I still have the smell of our rotting eggs. We've put in those filters, but it didn't make any difference. But the service was fine.

Original review: April 29, 2022

The installation was good. We like that the system works well. The water doesn't have an odor anymore and things aren't getting stained.

Kinetico Company Information