4.6/5 (250 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

I had Kinetico do one service call, but I'm way overdue for another service call. But things are going fine, so I haven't scheduled that. It was just a check-up and I had been experiencing some salt in the water, and there was a small valve that had plugged with a rock or something like that. Other than that, the system has been great and that salty thing was just right when it regenerated. I guess it didn't fully clear because of that little valve.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Our water softener was installed by a very capable service person and it didn't take long. The water has been softer since. It's a top-of-the-line system and it performs very well.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

The system that I put in removes all of the hardness and the iron that's in the water. The filters make sure it's clean. The system is great. It solves all my problems. The local reps here are great. They service the system. They test it every year.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

When we had our house rebuilt, a water purification system was put in but it was not softening the water. We ended up having to replace a hot water heater because of corrosion. We had it replaced so that we didn't have to replace water heaters anymore. Somebody recommended Kinetico to us. We definitely can tell the difference in the water. Sometimes, it tends to really go through a lot of salt pellets.

Hi Leeann,

We would love to say you will never have to replace your water heater again because of your Kinetico, but unfortunately; we cannot. There are many factors that tie in to the life of a water heater.

Please be certain to touch base with your area installer if you are concerned with your salt usage. Or even contact us and we can assist: customersupport@kinetico.com, 800.944.9283 option 2.

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

I’ve done business with Kinetico when we had another house and we got some filters from them for the water. This time around, we put a water softener in because we had hard water.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

Everything went smoothly during the installation and since we got the Kinetico system, we've had no issues with the water.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

When our Kinetico system was installed, it was quick and easy. Since then, it's been serviced once when one side was not softening water. They came out, noodled around, and got an airlock out. Other than that, it does what it needs to do.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

Kinetico's service has been great. When we had a problem with the filter where the backwash system was sticky, which meant it had some sand in the system, they walked me through it over the phone and I was able to clear it up myself. Since we got the system, the water quality's a lot better. We switched over from salt brine to potassium chloride and I would recommend the potassium chloride well over the salt brine, because salt sometimes leaves an aftertaste after it gets done backwashing that you might notice if you want to get a drink of water. But potassium chloride doesn't do that.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

Kinetico's been great and we've been very satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

There's a yearly maintenance to the Kinetico water system and and it only goes so many gallons then you have to have it serviced. The filters are also extremely expensive. They're over 100 bucks apiece. But the system is good and it filters very nicely. Plus, my water is fantastic and I love it.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to write. Yes, the ro is designed to shut down after every 500 gallons of use. The purpose is to maintain the integrity and performance of the product by insuring timely filter changes. This helps to secure the life of the membrane, the workhorse of the unit.

While the investment and maintenance does have a higher cost, studies show that using bottled water can be as much as double the cost over the life span of the ro.

We are glad you recognize the value and are enjoying the water. Please feel free to connect with our support team any time at customersupport@kinetico.com

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Kinetico's rep who did the install was great and professional.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I have had wonderful experience with Kinetico. They're very easy to work with. They started out that if you order the salt from them, then they'd service your unit for free. Now, they do charge a service charge because of cost. We've had two units. When the first one died on me, I went for a few years without anything. Then I got the second one that has both water softener and filtration. The only thing is that they are expensive, but they're worth it. I like the feeling of the water and the taste is better. I would drink water out of the tap. The water is softer. We use less detergent for clothes washing, too.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

The salesman was very helpful and accommodating. He put the system right in. Down the road, we were having a little trouble with the softener. So he came back and installed a free filter. And we've never had any other problems. The system definitely keeps our tubs and sinks from water spotting. Also, our soap soaps up, so it's great.

Hi Ken,

We are glad to hear that everything is meeting your needs. Happy soaping up!

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

The installation of our Kinetico system was pretty seamless. I still have them come and maintain it. They have to come out and clean some filters every once in a while. The system works the way it’s advertised. It’s taken the calcification build up, and it's taken the chloramine that’s in our washer out of the system.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

Our next door neighbor had Kinetico, and she liked it. So, we gave it a try. We like it, too. We got the water softener and the installation was very easy. The installer explained its maintenance and how often we should put salt in. The system is exactly what the sales rep described. The water didn't taste good and showering wasn't good as well. With Kinetico, our water is softer. It tastes better. Normally, we’d have bottled water. But now, I don’t have any problem drinking right from the tap. I'm very satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Our Kinetico system runs beautifully. It's really been worry-free and I've been very pleased with it and the water.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I was having issues with an element on my hot water heater. But since using the water softener, I'm not having that problem anymore.

Great news Brian!

Thanks for sharing.

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Kinetico's water system is great. We started out with the salt water over the whole house. Then I finally thought that salt was not good for the house after all, so we went to De Anza for the over-the-kitchen thing. When the water pressure goes down until no water comes out, I call them then they come and change out the pump or the system. They're gone for a few months, then they come back again if I call them. They're very efficient. The techs who come out have always been great.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

When we bought the house that we're in, it had the systems and we liked it so much. We rebuilt the house and we had to replace them because they were older, but we kept the same brand and upgraded. We have a water softener and a filtration. Reverse osmosis. We've had it serviced since then, and Kinetico has been awesome. They're super friendly and helpful. However, our water heater is out right now, so I have to shower down at our club and it definitely does not feel the same. Even though I don't notice it necessarily, there is a difference. Our water tastes so good too.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

We use the Kinetico system and everything seems fine. We are running the tankless water heater for a few years and I never had any issue.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

Kinetico is an efficient system. We do go through quite a bit of water. We're replacing cartridges two or three times a year. So, it's an expensive system to operate. I didn't like the mineral cartridge that came with it, which is a synthetic one. I replaced that with a food grade mineral. So, it has things like coral, calcium, and other minerals that are more compatible with the body. Overall, Kinetico is one of the top systems in the market. Their customer service has been completely on the mark. I call them and they're here within hours. They’re very professional.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your review. The calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate used in the Kinetico mineral plus cartridge are both naturally occurring materials.

Please feel free to connect with us at customersupport@kinetico.com for additional information.

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

Kinetico serves our needs for what we were looking for. The quality is good and I've been happy with them.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

The original Kinetico water softener we had put in was like 30 years ago, and then it finally gave up. About five years ago, we had it replaced with a newer one. We didn't have any water testing done with the more recent one because we knew from the beginning that our water was pretty hard. When the old one failed, we want this one to continue with having the water soft. The showers are sort of more comfortable. The water's a little softer in the shower. Having the system is mostly protecting the plumbing fixtures. My main motivation is to avoid the minimal buildup. With Kinetico, I like the use of potassium, the frequency that it had to be recharged and refilled and the reliability of the device.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

What a pleasure it was to do business with Shelton Water. Shelton installed a full water plant at our home about 17 years ago & has serviced it throughout the years. The Fed. 2021 Texas freeze damaged it beyond repair. Shelton to the rescue. They installed a new state-of-the-art system top to bottom with leak sensing. Outstanding work quality and customer engagement. Thanks to Whitney, Bill, Tim as well as all the staff at Shelton Water.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing the experience you had with the Shelton's team. They are a long time Kinetico dealer and we have had the same great history with them that you have.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

This is our second Kinetico system and it’s worked quite well. I like it because it uses less salt and requires no electricity. So, it works all the time. We went with that to make ice and have cooking water. We noticed that it makes the coffee taste a little crisper and fresher because there's no salt in it. The hardest thing for me is to remember to check the salt in the system because it uses so little. I have about eight bags a year of salt. As far as the installation, Brady's was really easy to work with. They came out and did a site survey and decided where they were gonna hang it on the wall, and that was it.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

We're very pleased with our Kinetico. It uses probably a tenth of the salt as the old system did. Go with Kinetico. The serviceman is in the area and he takes care of the pipeline out there. He even drops the salt off to us. It's been good because we don't have to haul the salt anymore so that makes a big difference.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

We have very hard water and I got tired of cleaning it out of the bathtubs. Our friend got everything we needed and installed the Kinetico system for us. I like it but it doesn't take everything out. It takes the calcium out, but not the lime. But we're happy with it.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I checked with the Culligan people but they were a bit expensive. So I went with this other guy. He had a little shop on Main Street here in town. He seemed like a nice guy, so I went with them. But I wonder if the Kinetico is doing the job it's supposed to be doing. I'm still getting that buildup on my fixtures. I'm not sure how good it's supposed to be, if it's supposed to be spotless on my dishes.

Samuel,

We'll reach out to your installer to make him aware of your questions. We are certain he will appreciate the opportunity to gain your confidence.

Please feel free to connect with us at customersupport@kinetico.com or 800.944.9283

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

If you are considering Kinetico - Don't. We thought a reverse osmosis system of the 'best' quality would be the way to go instead of whole house filters for well water. We thought Kinetico was the best and went for their best system to ensure we'd have few to no issues or maintenance for years. Sadly starting at year one and now again at year two we are without drinking water due to failures of their equipment to which their response is 'We have a lot of customers so we will come try to fix in four- five days'. That is one week with no drinking water annually when the filters get changed. It is a $150 visit where they change them and then leave you without water for a week... That's right, they break it and then do not even return immediately to fix what they broke after you paid for a visit!

I have never heard of any company being this irresponsible and you absolutely do not get what you paid for. Techs have stated that even when it is less than a year old it is expected for valves to break and for parts to be faulty. Huge mistake. Save yourself $6000 and a lot of stress by using whole house filter system(s) for well water instead. At least then you won't be without water for weeks on end.

Hi Kari,

Thanks for the clarification this morning. We are glad that everything has been worked out.

From: Kari
Sent: Tuesday, November 2, 2021 5:36 PM
To: @kinetico.com>

Subject: [EXT] Re: Kinetico Service / Consumer Affairs Review

How do I submit a new rating? This one was submitted prior to the team getting the service appointment prioritized. They all did a great job!

To clarify my experience so that you have an accurate record:

2020 - year one, my line was plugged so we were without drinking water the week of the holiday (as a customer less than 1 year I thought the company would respond quickly as opposed to the usual turn around time for a regular appointment.

10/18 - instead of having RO water restored within 6 hours of the maintenance appointment it did not return until 24 hours later.

I agree with you in terms of maintaining the system but if every time I needed an oil change for my car, they told me I'd be without my car for a week while they work on it, I'd never recommend anyone purchasing such a car. Going forward if you would please let me know what to do and what to expect during an annual filter change I could try to do everything right again.

Year one I changed the filter as I was told it was easy: it is not- I was bleeding and without water for a week waiting for a tech to come here.
Year two I paid for your people to do it right: I was told I'd have RO water in 2 hours or so after they left... water was not available for 24 hours....

So I am just looking for information on how often you should come out and service so that I am not without RO water for 1 - 5 days next year please.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

We love that the water is better. We recommended Kinetico to friends. And they're very happy with it, too.

Kinetico Company Information