4.5/5 (289 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: June 4, 2022

Kinetico's initial explanation of what was going on was really helpful. They educated the consumer, which is something we really tried to do in our businesses. The product has done a good job. We do save money on salt because it does not use up salt very quickly, which is good. That's been effective as far as helping us to save on our budget. It's just we live in an older house and I do think that there's some residue and stuff inside of our pipes that keep it from making our water rust-free. It is a little bit frustrating given the price of the system. Our water's much better, but it's not by any means perfect. So, it would have been good if they gave an explanation of what are some of the issues that may not be resolved with the system. That way, there'd be a little bit of a clearer understanding.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Many, many years ago, I had a bad experience with Kinetico and I said I would never use them again. But I wanted to put a reverse osmosis system in my home and I didn't know who else to call. So I went with them because there aren't a lot of businesses to choose from in this community. As the RO system goes, I'm happy with it. I have noticed a positive change with my water.

I did have an issue that I wanted Kinetico to come out and look at it. I'm less than two miles from the Kinetico facility and they have no problem sending somebody out when they want to sell the system to you. But they were going to charge me $100 just to come out and do a water test for me. That did not sit very well with me. It was an $800 system and I've only had it for two and a half years. So they shouldn't have charged me $100 for that service call, but that's their policy. So I just opted not to do it. I didn't feel it was warranted to spend that kind of money for a six-minute drive.

Original review: June 2, 2022

We never had any problems with our Kinetico water softener.

Original review: June 1, 2022

All my three daughters had Kinetico water softeners, and all of them were very happy with the product. I also got one and it seems to get the iron out of my water. Now, I'm happy with that. I've called with questions, and they've always answered. So, I've been happy with that, too. The service is good.

Original review: May 31, 2022

We have the dual-tank water softener and the RO system from Kinetico. It’s been good and easy to use. The quality is perfect. I recommend it to everybody.

Original review: May 30, 2022

My experience was good. The guy knew what he was talking about, and when he got the system ordered, it didn't take long to put it in. It's been three years since I've had the system, and there are no rusting nuts around the sinks in different areas. I also like that the system doesn't use the salt that some cheaper brands of softeners use.

Original review: May 28, 2022

We've had our Kinetico for three years. When we started working with them, it was very quick and seamless. I would recommend them. Having the system, we have clean water. We have filtered water that we drink. There's no more rusting tubes in our bathroom.

Original review: May 24, 2022

We wanted a quality water system, we got it, and now I don't have to worry about it. I get my salt at the store, so that's a regular routine. And when I change the filters on the drinking water, I would have the reps assist me. They're good here. It's seamless. It's worth the investment.

Original review: May 23, 2022

We noticed that the soap comes off easier. Our coffee pot doesn't get the hard water stain. And we don't get that buildup around the water faucets and don't have spots on glasses.

Original review: May 22, 2022

We would see buildup on the plates. We had a system there already, a different brand, but it wasn't working. With Kinetico, we now don't have buildup. Also, anything I've asked for, the reps have been good.

Original review: May 21, 2022

Everybody was nice and courteous. I had the water softener and the mineral filter put in. Now I don't have the iron in my water.

Original review: May 20, 2022

It's a good system. I don't have any issues with it. It's been functioning for five years. Our water is a little less rusty now, but it's still quite a bit rough.

Original review: May 19, 2022

These Costco guys are a straight 3000$ rip off. You can get the product for much cheaper outside of Costco. I contacted local deal for much better price. Local dealer did not charge extra for bypassing, or drilling countertop, or fridge connection.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I've used other systems and I didn't like them. The ones that you buy and do it yourself, I just can't figure out how to program them. But when Kinetico came in, they programmed them all. If I have an issue, they come and take care of it. It's all been great.

Original review: May 15, 2022

The water softener is worth having. It seemed reasonable to me, not having to have electricity to the water softener. It runs when it needs to and doesn't affect anything else I'm doing. The installers had to come back, because one line blew up and caused a leak. We had a water problem. After that, it was fine. The hardest part for me is changing the filter, the way they had them on it. But we have used a lot less salt. And it seems to do the job fine.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Our Kinetico system has been a reliable system. It's low maintenance. We add salt and we don't have to do much more. It does its job of softening our water. My skin is less itchy and less dry.

Original review: May 13, 2022

It worked out well to not have the electric system. Having Kinetico mechanical-driven is very attractive to me. I enjoy it. It's been low maintenance, which is nice. It's been food for a long time. However, if my father's coming to visit me, he always tells me I need to put salt in. I am thinking about calling to make sure because I am hearing a lot of water running.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Dave, the salesman from Kinetico, took care of everything and did a wonderful job. We looked at another competitive product but we went with Dave primarily because we liked him. He was knowledgeable and understood our conditions, and he knew that he could fix them and laid it all out. He was very good at what he does. He was very optimistic and he was very much a "Let's make sure I can help you get it done" kind of guy. And we got it done. The installation went well and all the techs were always great. We did the kitchen filter and a unit down in the basement, which took them a couple of hours.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Kinetico softened my water. I’ve had their system for five years, and I maintain it once a year. Customer service seems fine, and I would tell people to strongly consider it. It’s expensive but worth the consideration.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Kinetico refuses to sell to the public in the US and the service companies charge anywhere from $150-$200 for a service call (at least in my area). Then on top of that my filters are another $300. The installer and salesperson will never tell you this. We are a family of 5, so we typically go through 500 gallons every 4 months. This system is costing me nearly $1500 a year to operate, I also have an r/O system in front of the K5, so I also have salt cost on top of this. I would never recommend a Kinetico system based on the operating cost alone. I will also say that the local installer for me also caused me more than a few issues. As soon as I have the money saved up I will rip this system out and replace it with another brand who does not use proprietary hardware.

Kinetico response

Hello Chris,

We checked with Infinity Water, your area Kinetico dealer. They confirmed with us that they have many customers that change their own filters. Most of their customers do have a technician walk them through the first filter change then continue on their own after.

You are correct that Kinetico Incorporated does not sell to the public. We are a manufacturing facility that does not have the resources available to include all the staffing and warehousing involved in Direct to Consumer sales.

We thank you for choosing Kinetico and hope that with some time, you recognize and appreciate the investment you have made in to your family's water.

Please feel free to reach out to Kinetico Customer Support any time at 800.944.9283 or customersupport@kinetico.com

Original review: May 1, 2022

They recommended the iron filter to help alleviate iron in the water in our area. The product works great. Everybody that I've worked with was great. They're helpful, patient and they answered all my questions. Our water has been great.

Original review: April 30, 2022

The system seems to be working well. But there continues to be problems with getting some of the contaminants out as it is the water in the area that is very unclear. So, I'm not always pleased when I turn on the shower and I still have the smell of our rotting eggs. We've put in those filters, but it didn't make any difference. But the service was fine.

Original review: April 29, 2022

The installation was good. We like that the system works well. The water doesn't have an odor anymore and things aren't getting stained.

Original review: April 28, 2022

Everything was smooth with the sales rep from Kinetico and I got the maintenance set up. I'm on a regular maintenance plan, so the techs come out here frequently and change filters and fill up stuff. Since having the system installed, there’s a night-and-day difference. It does what it's supposed to do and it works. It is what is advertised and I've been pleased.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I had a five-area RO system, reverse osmosis system installed by Kinetico. The water tastes a lot better now. I'm highly satisfied.

Original review: April 23, 2022

My husband adds salt every three months to the system. The water still leaves some rings in our stools, but not like it was before when it was hard, had rust and stunk.

Original review: April 22, 2022

The service has been pretty good. They're accommodating, timing is good, and when the technicians get here, they're knowledgeable. We got Kinetico in two locations, and one works good, while the other not so great. It comes and goes, but maybe it wasn't built big enough to handle the supply at times. Overall, it's an expensive product and for a residential property, it would be worth it, but for commercial ones, it seems lacking a bit.

Original review: April 21, 2022

We got a softener with an input filter and a reverse osmosis system and the sales reps were fine. This stuff is way overpriced though. I'm not at all that excited about the system because it's doing a job that doesn't need to be done. I had no problem with our water, but my wife decided to be a health nut and didn't want to have anything that might potentially be bad. Now, I noticed my back was itching an awful lot, because she was putting too much detergent in the washing machine with that soft water.

Original review: April 20, 2022

We had to buy the system through Home Depot and I had all the money, but I decided to do the payments. Home Depot’s process was interest free, and they didn’t let me know when that ended. I ended up paying all the interest on top of it all, and I was not a happy camper ‘cause if I would have known that, I would have paid it off quicker. I was charged more and that was a very bad taste in my mouth. I was not pleased. Other than that, Kinetico is good. We have really bad water. I have really sensitive skin, and my body just itched from the water. The water is a lot better since I put the system in than it was before, and at least we have drinking water now, too. We just add salt to the system when we’re out of salt then the periodic scheduled visits are done. That's really sweet. They reinstalled it a long time ago too.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I got the softener system from Kinetico with a reverse osmosis filter. The installers showed up, they put it in, and it works fine. Our water has better taste, and the cat no longer gets as sickly as he did. Overall, I like the product and the people who put it in.

Kinetico Company Information