Learn More

4.6/5 (261 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: July 27, 2021

My wife and I needed a whole house water softener. We contacted Owens Water in Traverse City, MI after an exhaustive search. I've worked with softeners and demineralizers as a Marine Engineer. Tom ** came to our house and tested our water. No surprise that our water was hard and contained iron. Tom recommended the Kinetico 2060 non-electric softener. We ordered package #22 along with 2 extra filters and 3 extra 50lb bags of salt. 2 days later, Owens Water from Clare, MI arrived with our equipment. The technician was very professional and worked fast. He answered all my questions and went over routine maintenance of the softener, things to look out for, and basic troubleshooting steps to take if a problem came up.

The softener is working perfectly with significant improvement in our water quality. We use less detergent in our laundry washer, less soap & shampoo in the shower, no more mineral rings in our toilet bowls and iron deposits, no more residue on the shower heads, no more clogged aerators at the faucets, and no more mineral deposits on our dishes from the dishwasher.

The softener does not utilize electricity to operate and regenerate. This softener is a very high-end system I fully expect to give us many years of faithful, problem-free service. The Kinetico system's footprint is slightly larger than a comparable Culligan system or one of those softener systems you'll find in home supply stores but the Kinetico system is a well engineered, robust, and more efficient system with a larger softening capacity. The Kinetico has a built-in bypass that allows for uninterrupted water service during filter replacement and the regeneration cycle uses soft water to regenerate, keeping the ion exchange resin & filter media cleaner and on line longer. That's a big plus. The ion exchange tanks are constructed of non-corrosive materials with bond-strand resin shells.

This system came with a ten year warranty. The only issue is parts & supply availability. Proprietary filters and recommended salt are a little on the expensive side and not always available. "Sorry, we just sold our last one." "Sorry, the items you need are on backorder." "Sorry, the shipment has been delayed.". I live in a rural area and the nearest dealer is about 100 miles travel round trip so I like to keep a few extra essentials, like filters and salt, on hand at the house just in case something's unavailable when I need them. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with our Kinetico water softening system and I heartily recommend Kinetico to anyone looking to improve their water quality.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I had reviewed at least three systems and we had the demos performed at home. The main driver for landing on Kinetico would be three things. One is there is no requirement for electricity so it operates on its own. Two is the amount of water it takes to recycle itself is very small compared to other units. Three is the warranty. The others got five years limited warranty whereas Fred, the local franchise owner, told me that Kinetico carries about 10-year warranty which is something that was really enticing.

I got a concern about that warranty piece though. When they installed the under kitchen cabinet unit, it seems there was wrong installation so there was a break on the unit. It started dripping water. It took about a couple of years before the problem could surface. When we complained, they came and replaced the unit but I had to pay almost 300 bucks covering the labor cost. When they agreed that the installation itself was too tight that led to the breaking of the product, I don't know why I should be paying for the labor cost. If it is a product issue, I get it. But even if it is an installation issue, either Kinetico or the local franchise owner should have absorbed that because it's not my fault. They confirmed they didn't see any usage issue that led to the problem and they didn't see any manufacturing defect.

Kinetico could hold their local dealers accountable. I did reach out to Kinetico about this and they raised their hand saying that I needed to go talk to the local franchise. I went for this thinking that it's Kinetico that I trust more than the local franchise agents or the owners but that's where they let me down.

Hello Shree,

We thank you for appreciating the merits of the Kinetico product line. Here's wishing you many years of great water!

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I wanted a water softener but not some of the ones online that claim that they could run electricity through the wire and some magic would happen. The reviews that I read said that those were sketchy at best and showed that being electrical, they had a little CPU board and that board tended to be what would go out. Then, it was almost like buying a whole another unit just to replace that one board. Kinetico had a simple water softener system. People seemed to know what they were talking about when they came out here and aside from fitting into the space that I had, it didn't require any power, which was the main reason why I chose it.

Kinetico is all mechanical. It’s just how much water runs through the unit and it automatically does it. We had an incident in my city where the underground water was contaminated with PVCs. Kinetico was the only one who could filter that out. They had a reverse osmosis plus a special filter to filter those out, plus another filter to add back in some minerals. That convinced me because at that time, my grandchild was living with me. I have bottled water service deliver water for drinking but for all our cooking needs such as boiling spaghetti and making his milk, we use that water. We also use it for making espressos in the morning. The system is quiet and the installation was professional. So, I have no concerns or complaints about what they've done.

We’ve been using the water softener for closer to five years because at one time, I was renting it and then I decided to buy it. Then it has been at least two years with the reverse osmosis system with all these filters. I have not had to replace a filter yet. It's got a little indicator and then, I'm supposed to contact them and pay them $75 per filter. The last time I looked, it was only halfway to being time for it to replace its filters. I assume that one day, the unit will cease to work and then I'll have to contact Kinetico. They're expensive but they work. They do what they say and I have not had a single issue.

Resolution response: Nov. 17, 2020

Problem solved.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

We have a big environmental problem down here. For 30 years, the Air Force has been dumping their firefighting solution that they train with into the water system. A lot of people down here were catching cancer and different types of things. Pets were dying of cancer left and right. We were not to drink the water. If we did, we should get a reverse osmosis system. I went through the phone book and looked for a water system. I knew I didn't wanna go with Culligan so I was trying to find someone else to go with. I found Kinetico. I researched them online and they had some really good reviews.

Kinetico worked well. We had peace of mind knowing that we were not drinking something that was gonna cause us cancer. That was satisfying. Plus, our water tastes so bad that the reverse osmosis made it taste a lot better. The customer service was really good and I liked them. But we only had Kinetico for two years then we installed a different one. Kinetico is too expensive. It's okay for people that make 60,000 a year. But when you're living on social security, you can't afford the prices for the filters. It's $500 for them. After that first year, I was said that the next time the filters came, we would get them but we were gonna look at getting a system that didn't cost a lot and the yearly maintenance on it wouldn't be so pricey. Also, we couldn't rely on the guys that would come out to do the filters for Kinetico to be there the day or the time they said they would be.

Another thing is things didn't go as the rep told me. He told me one thing and the price was another thing. I was not told that I had to pay for this and this. The system ended up costing me a fortune. The water system I got now works just as good. When I changed over to this one, there wasn’t any change in the water flavor. I took a reading with the Kinetico system then when I put the new system in and the ratings were the same.

Pam,

Thanks for taking the time to provide this review.

We are glad to know that your water concerns have been resolved.

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

From the online reviews, Kinetico seemed the better choice out of all the systems. Their salesperson came, explained the system, did some water tests, said, "These are the things that I would do for your system." He was very straightforward. I wanted additional testing done and they provided that additional testing. They let me know from the additional testing that I needed additional components as part of my system. They gave me pricing about the product.

The installation person was a one-person team. Very thorough, spent the entire day at my house and made sure that I was happy, walked me through everything he was going to do. Some of the best plumbing in my entire house was done by this gentleman. I had one concern or one question and he fully addressed it and made sure I was comfortable with the system before he left. So it was, overall, a great experience.

There was a whole house filter that they put in. I could definitely see that there's sediment coming in. I could see the filters being dirty. The water definitely tastes a lot better. The soap actually rinses out of our hair. The dishwasher works a lot more effectively because the water is softer. The pipes aren't rusting or corroding through because my acidity level on my water is now balanced. There are less maintenance overall and better water quality.

The one lesson I learned from this is to make sure that you get the most advanced water test you could possibly get. That way, you get all of the components installed when you need them. The filters are readily available. Even the salesperson and the maintenance person made sure to tell me that I could buy them through them or I could get them online and do my own maintenance on the system. I had radon in my water and they needed to put an additional component on my system to make sure that my family was not being subjected to radon in our water. Every year, I pay them to come out and maintain my system. It's a very small cost for a very large peace of mind. I've told a couple of people at work that bought new houses, "Don't buy anything else. Just get the Kinetico because it's basically the Cadillac of water systems."

Rob,

Thank you for sharing your Kinetico experience with us. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with the sales and installation process. If there is anything you need, please let us know. You can reach us at customersupport@kinetico.com or 800.944.9283.

Thanks again,

The Kinetico Team

Original review: July 1, 2021

We bought a house that had a Kinetico in it. Then we moved and I bought another one. They're 100% effective. The system takes care of the problems. It's been a great experience.

Original review: June 25, 2021

The installers were very responsible about the time to coordinate everything. We had a little problem though. Our water softener stopped working properly all of a sudden, and we were very concerned because it was only three years old. The other one that we had lasted more than more than 12 years. Kinetico came and repaired our water softener two times, and whatever they did, it was not doing the job. They kept on telling us, "It's gonna take two weeks before you can get soft water." I was like, "It doesn't take two weeks when you replace a new one. How come you're going to fix something that it's gonna take two weeks?" "I don't know, but this is the way. Unless you empty your water heater completely, then you can have soft water."

Two weeks after, it was still not working properly. We were concerned because we had to pay $160-something for the guy to come. Before the two weeks, we had to call them back and then, after that, we had to call them back again. We were like, "Are they trying to charge us again another $160-something?" The third time, the guy that came did the job and explained that whatever they did was not right, but that he was going to fix it. He did.

Original review: June 24, 2021

Kinetico came out, tested our water, told us what type of unit we needed and had it put in right away. It's been working fine. Everything is a lot softer and the toilet stays cleaner. We've had a good experience.

Original review: June 23, 2021

We replaced the system we had with a Kinetico. The techs' installation was great. We're happy. It doesn't use half the salt the other one used. I'm having my daughter get one.

Original review: June 22, 2021

When the tech got here and put everything together, he showed us how the system worked. Since getting Kinetico, there has been a big difference in the water for the house. Our skin is softer. Kinetico is a bit more expensive that most providers but as far as the quality and how it works, I'm very happy with it. And anytime I need something, I just call them right away. They're well worth it.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Made appointment for them to come out to talk about new system. They called a day later to verify the time and day they would be here. No show. Still waiting 3 hours later, not even a phone call or anything.

Original review: June 21, 2021

We had a Whirlpool water softener and it wasn't very good. We went with Kinetico and immediately realized that for two or three years the water softener we have wasn't even working. My Kinetico works well.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Our water softener pooped out. The tech did great. One of the advantages of my Kinetico is that there is less equipment. It fits in the space better. The part that's inside the house is much smaller and easier to put salt pellets into.

Original review: June 19, 2021

We really liked the Kinetico on how it does its refresh. It doesn't use electricity, the bin for the salt is huge, so we're not having to check it every week. The rep was very pleasant. We asked a lot of questions but he took time. Any kind of challenging questions we gave him, he answered. It was very pleasant. I would definitely recommend Kinetico. I really enjoy the unit. It's very quiet and we don't hear it inside the house.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I've had Kinetico now for a long time and they upgraded me. They put a whole new system in with a charcoal filter. The installer was lousy. He wouldn’t do what I told him to do. When he originally put the water softener in, they had to run a pipe across the floor. So, I built a platform and I wanted the pipes to run underneath that platform and they ran above it instead. So, as I walk going to the utility room, I step on the pipes. Also, I don't like that small saltbox they gave me. I put salt in it too often. I'd like a bigger salt brine tank and a good plumber. Other than that, the water tastes better.

Kinetico Company Information