4.5/5 (213 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

We had moved into a new house and it's on well water. There was a sulfur smell. In addition to that, we had the normal problems of iron in the water. My wife had done some online research. Then we found Mermaid Water. We called them up and they told me about the Kinetico systems when they came. We needed to get the three Kinetico systems. The installers were great.

The Kinetico system definitely took care of all the concerns with the smell. There's one issue we have every now and then with some dark sediment. We tried to narrow it down. Mermaid has been out a couple of times to figure it out. We can't figure out what it is. I don't know if it's the system or what. But the water quality has been good. It's also easy to maintain. It's convenient and does its job. We've been happy with Kinetico.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

I refer all my people who ask me about my system to Kinetico. I had a new system installed and their service was good as always. I also have no issues so far. With Kinetico, I know what to expect. The water will eventually get softer. But all my other homes have been brand new homes. This system is two years old so I can see a little bit change in the dishwasher and the hardness is starting to come off of the side plates of it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I had a 20 yr old Kinetico system which was great. I replaced it with the same but new system. Shortly thereafter I started having a hard water problem. They tested my system & said it now needed an additional tank as something changed in the water table. Fine, I had that new tank installed. The installer neglected to insert the hose into the drain so when the system cleansed itself the waste water went all over the carpet in my finished basement & also destroyed my new ceiling tiles stored nearby. They came back to insert the hose in the drain (which I already did) & said that they need to anchor it.

After they left, I looked & the serviceman had kinked the hose so no water could pass. I had to go to the hardware, get a new fitting & fix it myself. I called & wrote to the company & they said they'd take care of cleaning my carpet & replacing by destroyed ceiling tiles. I sent them the invoices, called, left VM messages but after weeks of doing so, I'm only getting ignored. This could have been a good resolve but I'm hugely upset with their lack of attention to loyal customers. Looks like I'll have to go to small claims court to get paid back.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

We were having was a lot of film on the backsplash of the showers and having a water softener has made a big difference. Also, our hair and skin is not so dry. I've given my sister-in-law and a lot of people Kinetico's number because we're satisfied.

Hi Yvonne!

Thanks for the great review! How do we get those next 2 stars?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I had a Kinetico unit and I had it replaced. The cost was high and I had the option to go for a lower cost unit, but the Kinetico unit that was replaced was 20 years old so I stuck with it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I bought a house that has a Kinetico system and I recently bought an additional filter leg for that system. The water is now much better. It has improved both the color of the water as well as the taste.

Kinetico response

Thanks for sharing your experience with your Kinetico System, Ted! If you ever need help with your system, please let us know. You can reach us at customersupport@kinetico.com or 800.944.9283.

Thanks again,

The Kinetico Team

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

The rep we dealt with took care of everything. Since having Kinetico, the water quality has been real good.

Kinetico response

Thanks for sharing your Kinetico experience, Keith! If you ever need help, please let us know. You can reach us at customersupport@kinetico.com or 800.944.9283.

Thanks again,

The Kinetico Team

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

The rep from Kinetico was great and seemed like he’s been doing it for a little bit. The installation team was professional and thorough, and got it done in a couple hours. I got the water softener with anti-chlorine tank and they showed me the valves and where to replace the salt pellets as well as how to shut it off if need be.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I saw the sales rep at the county fair and he said that Kinetico has a patented system where they use water pressure instead of air pressure to move your water, so it always flows at a faster speed. That was what I needed so he came over and quoted it for me. He showed me the system and that they could even put it down in the basement so I didn't have it underneath the sink, which gave me a bunch of room. We got the filtration water system for drinking water and dealing with the installation team was good. There was a little bit of a breakdown in communication between the sales guy and the installer. He missed one thing. But other than that, it went well.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

The guys did a really good job when they installed my Kinetico system and they explained everything pretty well. It's complicated, so they put as much effort into explaining things to me as they figured I could handle. I wish it didn't cost quite so much though. The system I had was pretty much the same thing but older. Also, they charge way too much for their filters. I've got a reverse osmosis system that they put on, that for just two filters they charged $250. Maybe that would last for a year but $250 for two filters is a lot of money.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

I went with Kinetico's water softener and the reverse osmosis. I already had an existing water softener but it went out, and it was one of the big box stores, and I wanted something a little bit more durable, something that was gonna last me a little bit longer. Kinetico is local here in San Antonio. I had about four different companies, but I chose Kinetico based on reviews and friends of mine that also had them installed.

The representatives from Kinetico were horrible. The salesman quoted me a price with everything together, the reverse osmosis and then the water softener itself. Then he gave me a different quote if I were to pay it outright rather than through installments. When I called him back and I told him the price for paying it outright, not having to finance, he changed the tune and told me that that was not the exact price if you paid it outright.

I said, "Well, you have it written there on the pamphlet. Why would you have written it here? And I have it here." He started telling me, "Well, if I give it to you at that price, I'm gonna wind up losing my commission. And I'm not gonna get that much commission." So, that told me Kinetico employees work off commissions. He said, "If I give it to you that price, I'm not gonna wind up with a good commission." I said, "Okay. I can only give you another $100 off of what you offered me." He was upset, and he said, "That's fine, that's fine. I just won't get a commission." We left it at that.

I have not heard from Kinetico since I purchased the system. I thought somebody, as much as I spent, would have called and said, "Hey, how's everything been? How's the machine? Do you like it?" There was nothing. When the tech brought me the system, I said, "Is this a new water softener, or is it one of the used ones that y'all had in other people's houses that y'all letting me try?" He looked at me and he wouldn't talk to me at all while he was installing. After he installed it, he said, "Do you have any questions?" He was a little upset. He may be kind of offended but when you're paying $5,100 for a system, you wanna know what you're getting. I don't see how hard it was for him just to explain that it was a new system. I didn't bother talking to him at all throughout the whole process, and I was just glad he left.

Overall, Kinetico is an expensive water softener system and their customer service was really horrible. They could use maybe some training on that. As far as hearing the guy complain and cry about he's gonna lose his commission, I don't care. I was out here to get me a system and that's what I was trying to do. As far as recommending them, I told people I'd probably go with Culligan or Alamo Water Softener systems rather than Kinetico because of the experience that I had.

Kinetico response

Ronnie, here is the response from your area Kinetico dealer. Please feel free to let us know if you continue to have concerns at 800.944.9283 or customersupport@kinetico.com. You can also always connect with the management team of dealers employees directly. They will always welcome the opportunity to regain your trust.

Kinetico Customer Support

dealer response:

I spoke to Ronnie last week and he’s taken care of. He was wanting a water retest which we scheduled for him to happen after the new year. As far as the quotes he mentions below. There was nothing wrong as he was given options including an K5 at no charge (promo) with the purchase of a water softener. He seemed to have had the two mixed up but he received that we purchased and for the correct dollar amounts.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

I already had an RO system in here. Kinetico took the old one out, put the new one in, and everything's terrific. It was simple. They always did a very good job. I appreciate that Ned put me in the water club 23 years ago when he first installed my system, and it has worked out well for me.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

The installation of the Kinetico system was really easy. I'm in North Carolina and I have a raised foundation. But I came from the West Coast where everything is on a slab and these guys did a phenomenal job. They were done in half a day, so I was pleased with their work. It's also easy for me to get service if I want to.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

The installer of my Kinetico did a good job. However, when the man installed it, he told me that he has the same thing and he has a family of four and that I can only use three bags a year. Which I thought was great, but that's not accurate. We use a lot of salt.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2022

The installers were very good and neat. The piping was perfect. It all works.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

We've had good service from Kinetico. The only thing is I know the man that we dealt with was going to deliver salt after we had the system put in but we haven't seen him unless we have another service call. It's not a big thing but it's not exactly what I thought it would be.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for sharing your experience. We'll touch base with Ray to find out what happened with the salt.

Kinetico Customer Support
800.944.9283

customersupport@kinetico.com

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

The reps were very good and professional and the installation went really well. The water is so much better since having the system.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

Purchasing from Kinetico was easy. My wife is happy with the quality. Also, I haven’t had to change the filter in six months, which is pretty good.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

It’s the second time I’ve owned a Kinetico system. I like the quality of their product. I love their product. I will highly recommend Kinetico. Price-wise, they're a little more expensive than the competitors, but they got a superior product.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

Our Kinetico system works great. I haven't had any issues. We definitely use less salt than we did before, and the water quality is good as well.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

I use a lot of softening water when I spray in the farm, so I want a heavy-duty unit and that was what I was doing. I've had Kinetico for 20 years, and Dick, my agent, was great, but then he retired. The guy that is now handling it, the only guy in this area, put in a Kinetico, and it was poor installation. The guy is unqualified to do that service. He didn't even check the unit till four months later, then he discovered it was leaking water. It cost me 75,000 gallons of water. I finally called corporate to get my money back for that softener and get the guy to take it out. He came slamming, banging out here mad that I called him. He was rude, inconsiderate and bad.

I like Kinetico's product, but I will not have anything to do with it because I took the softener out. I still have the RO unit right now, and I'm concerned about service for that because the way Kinetico's sales things do, they won't let me go to another dealer. I would get Kinetico, but I won't with the dealer that's in Fargo. The service guy hasn't even bothered to call me about my RO unit, which will need some attention sometime later. If my RO unit fails, I will not go back to Kinetico. I will buy another one somewhere else.

Hi Jerry,

The next nearest dealer that can assist with providing you service is Aquarius Home Services. They can be reached at 888.741.9025. They are located in Alexandria.

There are no Kinetico policies stopping you from using another dealer. Please note that we are not the dealer's corporate office. The dealers are independently owned companies.

While we facilitated conversation between you and your original dealer, we did not refund money to you. That was a transaction that you completed with your original dealer.

Unfortunately, service providers do rely on customers to advise them if a product malfunctions. We are sorry that in a 4 month period, presumably 75,000 gallons of water was lost without notice. Documentation shows that the unit was repaired in 2019 and functioning as designed, but the dealer accommodated your request for a refund and the softener was removed. Most municipalities notify customers when their water bill increases beyond the normal usage to check for leaks. We are surprised you were not notified of 75,000 gallons being wasted.

We are sorry that this remains a bad taste for you. Perhaps you will be more comfortable with Aquarius Home Services. Please feel free to reach Kinetico Customer Support at 800.944.9283 or customersupport@kinetico.com with further questions or concerns.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

The home system was installed fine and we make sure it stays free of debris, but we haven't had to do any upkeep. We noticed that with the filter, we have smoother skin and stuff are not rusting.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

We have the system for the whole house, and I like the fact that we’re charged by the gallons used instead of by the time of day. If I had to do it over though, I'm not sure I'd do it 'cause it's too expensive. It started out really good. It was in a brand new home, and I had no water spots on anything. I also had good soapy water in the washing machine. I keep salt in it and it keeps going through the salt, but it's not doing like it did five years ago. Now I get water spots on almost everything and shower curtains get ugly. It's not worth it. Service has not been all that good once I paid for it too. The system should have some maintenance now, but I'm two and a half hours away from the closest guy that is a Kinetico dealer that it's a pain. I have to change filters quite a bit on the reverse osmosis system. Otherwise, it's not so bad other than just putting salt in it.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

We see that your equipment was installed in 2016. We will contact your area service provider to let make them aware of your concerns with the performance of the equipment. Sometimes, water supplies change and the equipment needs to be adjusted to accommodate the change. Being a mechanical product, sometimes they will malfunction and need corrected. Have you had the carbon in the de-chlorinated changed? That should be done every 3 - 7 years depending on site related variables.

We'll have FM Water contact you to review the service history and discuss regaining your confidence. Please feel free to contact Kinetico Customer Support with additional concerns or questions at 800.944.9283 or customersupport@kinetico.com

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

I got a Kinetico water softener. I keep the salt in it. I put a 40-pound bag of salt in it every three months and a half. It doesn’t use a whole lot of salt. Where I live out here in Mesquite, Nevada, we have really hard water. So, I'm really happy with the system. Our clothes wash better. We don't feel quite scummy when we got out of the shower. It was hooked up to the dishwasher, and our conditioners are cleaner and didn't seem like it was quite as spotty. What I liked about it is it’s not hooked up to our power system. It’s just on demand. It's the one that recycles.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

We got a Kinetico RO system. Somebody stopped by and showed us some options, and we decided that we would go with the product right by the sink. It was a pretty fair conversation and the work was done reasonably quickly and to our satisfaction. The product is meeting the expectations that I had.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Setting up an appointment with Kinetico was pretty good. I didn't have any issues and I had a really good sales rep locally that did a great job. American Water Company did the installation, and they did a great job as well. As far as the system, I ran out of salt once and had to purchase it myself at Home Depot. Then another month went by, and I went and bought some more. Then, they came and dropped some off. So, I needed salt a little sooner than their scheduled visit. It would be good if they would call once a quarter and say, “Hey, how are you doing on your salt levels?”

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Great news! Kinetico has launched the Kinex Salt Monitor. It's a very simple installation that allows you and American Water to be connected to your salt levels via an app. The Kinex Salt Monitor will notify you and/or American Water when your salt levels are dropping and should be replenished.

Please contact American Water for additional information on the Kinetico Kinex Salt Monitor and never run out of salt again!

Kinetic Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

The Kinetico sales rep came out, and he did a great job of explaining everything coming up with just dollar amounts and explaining the difference in systems. So, we really liked that aspect. In sales, they try to do pairings, and we got somewhat of a discount with the pairing that we went with, which was kind of nice. Then it just led to the appointment for installation. The guy that came out was very quick, explained everything pretty well, and then kind of gave me the parameters on when I would need to look at replacing filters and what levels to keep in my salt tub. So, that was really nice. It's been a great experience.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

The installation was great. They came back, did quality checks and made sure everything was still good. Everything's softer and cleaner with Kinetico. I've already told others about them and other people have installed. The only thing I have to do is make sure the salt and the pebbles are filled. When the filters for the osmosis machine go away, there's a bar that tells me to replace those. The replacing of those is a couple hundred dollars.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

I purchased a saltwater system. They did a great job with installation. Get a Kinetico. It works.

Thank you, Anthony.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

The salesperson knew what he was talking about and did a good job promoting the product. And he was at the local trade show here. Also, the installers have done a good job. They knew what they were doing. I'm pleased with the water. Anybody should have one of those systems.

Kinetico Company Information