Kenmore Water Heater

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About Kenmore Water Heater

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Kenmore Water Heater Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Water Heater?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2015

Purchased a Sear Roto Swirl Water Heater (model 409.7341820) May 2012 for $494.00 with a 9 year warranty. It stopped producing hot water today, 2.5 years old, and when I called the 1-800 warranty number they said "We do not provide any troubleshooting advice for this product." They offered to have the service distribution office call me within 3 business days (it's Saturday so 5 days) to arrange a service technician to visit in the coming weeks. After stating that was unacceptable the service person had no response. Very disappointed at paying a high price to Sears who we have faithfully purchased all of our large appliances from over the past 40 years... not any longer, goodbye Sears!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2014

This maybe the most disappointing review I have ever written. I grew up with Sears. I have always been a loyal and trusting customer. First of all Sears is no longer Sears. Now it is Sears Holdings (think Chrysler before Fiat bought them). My Story, I purchased a top of the line Sears Kenmore water heater from Sears Montclair 3 years ago. It was warranted 12 years. Over the Thanksgiving weekend 2014 it failed. It blew out all the hot water onto my garage floor. It occurred during the late evening on a weekend. I purchased a new top of the line water heater from Home Depot before they closed and had it installed by a plumber.

When I went to return the old water heater to Sears the fun and games began. I started off going to the Montclair store where I purchased it in person. Zero help. They knew nothing and could only refer me to an 800 number. From there I went to 3 more numbers before sending me back to Sears Montclair. The last contact through Montclair referred me to another 800 number Sears is not Sears of old. This is probably my last business transaction with Sears or their partner Kmart. Sears no longer has a reputable service dep’t and should not be trusted for large purchases. I must note that the workers were kind and pleasant. I call it business confusing or intent to cause chaos and frustration with a smile on their face. I wish I could recommend some other store but I have found out that they all sub contract service and routine wait for appliances.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

I had the Survivor installed by a neighbor in 1998. Never drained the tank, never had a service call, nor never replaced any parts. The day before I replaced the tank I measured the water temperature and it was 130 degrees F. I did not replace the tank because it was leaking, did not meet temperature, nor any reason other than it was 16 years old and I did not want a flood in the basement. Replaced with a Kenmore.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

Sears and Kenmore, once a reputable and reliable company selling quality products such as Kenmore, are now in my opinion in cahoots with each other and have degraded to scam artists out to rip off consumers. I am now completely skeptical with their business practices. I purchased a Kenmore 50 gallon 12 year water heater from Sears last year in June 2013 for $730. My second water heater purchase from them because my last water heater lasted for 9 years and never gave me any problems so I figured why not buy from them again. The 1 year warranty expired so I called my plumber to come out and fix the issue of the thermostat shutting down due to high temperatures for some reason. (The heat dial was never changed or adjusted.)

My plumber came out and said he couldn't fix it because it was an electronic thermostat that he wasn't familiar with so I called Sears to ask about the product I purchased and that my plumber couldn't fix the problem. The Sear representative said that if I were to use another outside technician that the parts would not be warranted by Kenmore. (Okay why?) So I called Kenmore to ask about their warranty on the parts and was given the runaround with the automated system which always led me back to a Sears customer service representative. It was frustrating that I couldn't speak with someone from the Kenmore manufacturer.

Since time was going by, I had no other choice but to get a Sears service technician out there to fix the problem because my tenants had no hot water. Sears said that any of the parts would be warranted and replaced without charge but there would be labor costs. When the Sears technician arrived, he notified me that the thermostat needed to get replaced with a new thermostat. I asked him what kind/brand was the old thermostat and what kind/brand is the new one because I wouldn't want the same one if the last one was defective or unreliable. He then went on to tell me that he wasn't actually going to be replacing the thermostat, but resetting it and needed to flush out the system due to build up of sediment. He also suggested that this sort of maintenance should be done every year. This ended up costing me around $280 for the reset and flush.

I have never had to do this in the past with my water heater appliance. Not only am I pissed that this wastes a ton of water, but I’m also upset that a product like this was even designed and made. When did I buy an oversized Brita Filter for my house that needed flushing? The technician suggested that I purchase the Sears warranty so it wouldn't cost so much in the future. I ended up succumbed to buying a warranty because I supposedly have 9.5 years left on this product.

I will never purchase a Kenmore product without reading the Consumer Affairs report on it. I did some investigation and further found out that my situation wasn't a special case. There were a number of complaints from other consumers who experienced the same exact thing. I filed a complaint (#**) with Sears and I will also report this to the Federal Trade Commission as suggested from another consumer post. I feel that this was worth sharing with others in case anyone is in the market of buying a new water heater. DO NOT BUY KENMORE or SHOP AT SEARS.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

I purchased a Kenmore 55 Gallon Electric Water Heater (Model# 153321543) and had installed by Sears 03/23/09. It started showing water seepage around the base 12/5/14. Sears wants $519.97 in labor and fees to replace with a new on "under warranty." I'll go elsewhere and buy a new one before paying them additional money for selling substandard equipment and providing deceptive warranty claims.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2014

Several times a week the pilot light goes out and must be relighted. This is due to a design flaw according to my plumber who states the filter is clogged. The filter cannot be cleaned or replaced because it is not accessible. Solution? Buy a new water heater (not a Kenmore, of course).

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

There is no warranty! You cannot return to the store where purchased. You are told it will be repaired or replaced for a $79 charge. When tech shows up that $79 is just a service call and it will be over $300 for installation. They play the best runaround.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

Purchased a 40 gallon gas water tank in May of 2014, in September of 2014 no hot water, called Sears for repair. It took a week for the appointment, out he came and told me it was the thermocouple and had to be ordered. Told me after I received it to call and make an appointment for tech to come out and install. Took 4 days for thermocouple to arrive and another week for tech to come out to put in. So far 3 weeks with no hot water. Now he puts it in and it works for 2 days. Called Sears again and again. I am without hot water for another week till they can get out to me. I am waiting for service tech to show up and I know he will tell me that I need another thermocouple and that will take another 3-4 days for it to get to me, and then I will have to call sears again for another appointment which will take another week or two. I am on a warranty with Sears and under that no cost to me, but they will replace the tank if after 4 visits it can't be fixed, so if I add it up correctly it will be six months of cold showers before they replace this defective water tank, at 65 what the heck.

I am thinking of contacting the attorney general and having Sears and Kenmore investigated with hopefully a lawsuit being filed. Too many people are having problems with Sears and Kenmore that something needs to be done. If they can recall cars, why can't they recall water heaters and fix the problem. There is also the federal trade commission, that complaints can be filed and let me tell you they do investigate and get things done. I suggest everyone who has had problems file with the FTC enough complaints and this will make the FTC take notice and fix the problem. There is also facebook, twitter and social groups that the news media will start to pay attention. Sears isn't what it use to be, and cutting corners by knowingly selling defective products isn't going to keep customers, and Yeah I am sorry I didn't get a tank from Home Depot. I won't shop at Sears again.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2014

We purchased a 50 gallon Kenmore water heater. Thinking that a 6 year warranty and a Kenmore was a good brand. However less than 18 months later, we had a flooded basement and learned of Sears "warranty" coverage. They will pay for the $19 part to repair the water heater if I pay the $200 trip and labor charges for a $350 water heater. I can purchase the part on my own for $30. I would rather go to a competitor and purchase a new one than spend an additional $200 for a 6 year warranty "defective" appliance.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2014

Our Kenmore water heater had a catastrophic failure last September resulting in tens of thousands of dollars of damage to my home. Fortunately my insurance company covered the expenses for a new floor, walls, paint and housing for my family for the 2 months we could not reside in the home. However, Sears and Kenmore refused to reimburse me for the cost and installation of a new water heater citing that the warranty had lapsed by four months. However an independent engineering company retained by my insurance company deemed the failure was due to manufacturer defect. This was the second failed Kenmore water heater in my home. I will never do business with Sears and Kenmore again.

Original review: July 26, 2014

We purchased a 40-gallon capacity Kenmore Water Heater Model# 153.330220 from Orchard Supply Hardware almost 2 years ago. We chose to purchase a Kenmore water heater since Kenmore generally has a good reputation for making quality appliances. In December 2013, the water heater stopped working so we called the Kenmore Sales & Service number listed on the unit. They sent out a Service Technician who told us that the unit had a "Code 4" due to the sediment that had accumulated at the bottom of the tank. The sediment was from the hard water in our home - despite the fact that we have a water filtering system. He explained that the sediment was setting off the "Code 4" since the unit was detecting that the water temperature was extremely high. He replaced a valve & flushed the unit. The parts & service were covered because it fell within the 1st year of warranty for parts & service.

Then again, on 7/23/14, the water heater again stopped working & displayed a "Code 4" yet again. This time when we called for Kenmore service, we were informed that we no longer had a Service Protection Plan since the unit comes with a 6-year warranty for parts, but only 1 year for service. However, we could purchase a "Sears Protection Agreement-Smart Service Agreement" for $199, which would cover all parts & service/labor for 1 year. Since we need hot water, we paid $199 & scheduled a "Repair Appointment" for today.

The Service Tech came out today & said the same thing that the last tech had said - the accumulated sediment at the bottom of the tank is setting off the "Code 4". He informed us that we needed to have the tank flushed, which would cost an additional $42.50 (since this was considered "Maintenance" & not covered by the Service Protection Plan). He explained that he needed to flush it first then reset the unit in order to remove the "Code 4". If after flushing the unit, it would not reset, then he would replace the valve. In the end, he flushed & reset it but did not need to replace the valve. However, the Service Receipt that he gave me details the following "Labor Performed - Protection Agreement: E.C.O. Replace - $176.00". When I asked the tech why it stated "Replace" when nothing was replaced, he explained there is no option to indicate a "Reset" & that $176.00 was the starting price for having a Repair Tech come to our home to diagnose & do any repairs. He did recommend that we flush out the tank 1-2 times a year.

So after spending $241.50 today on a unit that cost us approximately $460 almost 2 years, I feel very cheated & taken advantage of, as a consumer. I'm fairly certain that in another 6-8 months, the unit will have another "Code 4" or something else wrong with it. What an absolute piece of garbage we bought & what lousy customer service we have received from Sears/Kenmore! They have found a way to make money off a defective product that is obviously very high maintenance - maintenance which coincidentally is not covered by their wonderful "Service Protection Agreement". We will never buy another Kenmore!!! Sears/Kenmore are complete crooks...Buyers beware!! Shame on you, Sears/Kenmore!

By the way, Sears/Kenmore will not consider replacing the unit unless there are 4-5 service repairs on file for the unit or unless their Service Tech recommends it.

Original review: July 23, 2014

Purchased a Kenmore model # 153330200 water heater that quit after 15 months. When we inquired with Sears about repair, we were told since we purchased the product at OSH they would not acknowledge the warranty. Although the water heater says 6-year warranty, there is no labor coverage. I "Googled" the model # and found so many of the same complaints. I cannot believe that Sears would even want their name on this water heater. It's junk, that has wasted much of my time restarting the pilot. I plan to cut my losses and never buy another Kenmore product again. Such a bad product and a waste of money.

Original review: July 19, 2014

Same as everybody else - Bought Kenmore water heater from Orchard. After one year gas control/burner unit died. 4 blink status. Replaced, $175, another year went by and it's done it again. I'm going give up and buy another NON-KENMORE water heater. Thanks for building total garbage and wasting my time.

Original review: May 23, 2014

Three-year old 50-gallon Sears Water Heater failed (cold water). Honeywell "SmartValve" shut down with 4 blink error code (overheat). Control was set at "Normal" setting. Service man came out, flushed Water Heater and reset control. He wanted to charge me for service call because he said flushing was homeowner responsibility. BTW: Not much of anything came out during the "flush." They never sent me a bill.

Now, three months later, Heater is shut down AGAIN with same problem - 4 flashes (overheat). Control is STILL set at "Normal". Called Sears for another service appointment on 05/21/2014. They gave me a 4-hour window 1pm - 5pm on 05/22. NO SHOW! I cancelled an automobile service appointment and parts pick-up call to stay at home and they were a NO SHOW! Called the service center and they told me THEY cancelled today's appointment and rescheduled the service call for tomorrow, 05/23, with NO notification to me! I asked them to FIND someone to send TODAY, since that is what was promised and they said no - dispatch is closed for the day and no one is available to service their defective product.

So, to sum up, they sold me a defective product and sent an incompetent service person who FAILED to "fix" it. It failed again with the SAME problem and they missed their OWN scheduled appointment to ATTEMPT to fix it again. Now, I'm moving towards day three (3) with NO hot water and no guarantee that a service person would BOTHER to show up tomorrow. DO NOT BUY from Sears! I will also be referring this matter to the Better Business Bureau for review.

Original review: May 15, 2014

Tried to buy from Sears online. Said would pick up. Little girl says need email for my maintenance man to pick up who does not have. I would have guaranteed payment with my credit card and picked up. Tried to move. No satisfaction. Then Sears wonders why they have to close stores. Take a look at Walmart. That couldn't get a job there. It is clustered service.

Original review: April 30, 2014

The Kenmore Water heater I installed 2 and a half years ago. A year ago the pilot light started going off on its own every few weeks. I'd light it and get the hot water. Finally the pilot light went off and lighting it won't work. No hot water but pilot is on with four flashes followed by a pause. The manufacturer told me this indicates the Gas Control Valve/Thermostat has failed requiring a new one. The manufacturer has nothing to do with replacing the part so she referred me to Sears Part Department. The Part Department agreed to send a part only after their tech (mine won't do) comes to my house and diagnose the problem, order the part and do the repair.

A tech visit to the house cost $79 not including parts or the repair work. His diagnosis was completely different from the manufacturer's. His diagnosis and suggested flushing the tank and resetting the pilot light indicator won't guarantee the sudden turn off of the pilot. For that he recommended I purchase a year or two up to five years warranty anywhere from $50 to $200. This on top of the cost of his controversial diagnosis which would cost $188. I have paid $500 for this Kenmore less than three years ago. When I insisted on the necessity of changing the Gas Control Valve/Thermostat he agreed to write a second diagnosis. This time the cost would be $214 guaranteed for 90 days only. Again suggested purchasing a service warranty. I said "no thank you" and don't expect me to pay you for this visit since the problem is misdiagnosed.

I talked with the customer service department about five or six times. They reassured me I can get the part under warranty for free after Sears technician diagnoses the problem and order the necessary part for me then I can have my own technician do the repair. The Parts Department insisted that there is no such thing. The water heater carries a 9-year warranty on parts but only one-year warranty on labor. It is a good thing I have a second 40-year old heater that is still working perfectly. This gives me time to deal with the Kenmore problem. I am shopping for another water heater but definitely NOT A KENMORE. Never again I'd buy anything from Sears either. Dealing with Sears on this issue turned out to be a nightmare. I am considering small claims court.

Original review: March 14, 2014

I have a top of the line Kenmore Water heater I installed 2 years ago. After only 2 years the Honeywell Gas Control Valve/Thermostat failed requiring a new one. I call the Part Department and explained that I need this part for my 2-year-old Water heater that carries a 12-year warranty. The Lady told me that it was a good thing I had a warranty. I then asked, "Why?" She said the part was over $200.00. After attempting to complete the transaction she told me that she found that the system would not let her send the part and informed me that this part was not covered under the warranty. I asked, "Why Not?" She said that their Kenmore Water Heaters Carry a 12-year Limited Warranty. So it appears the only parts that are covered on the LIMITED WARRANTY are those parts that would never fail. Those parts that fail are not covered...

I will certainly NEVER PURCHASE A KENMORE WATER HEATER or SEARS APPLIANCE AGAIN.. How deceiving is this! What Con Artists... I had a Sears Salesperson stop by recently to give me a quote on a gas furnace. They quoted me over $5000.00... Ha ha ha, I contacted a local certified local appliance person and they installed the same spec top brand unit for $2000.00 out the door. DON'T BUY FROM SEARS.

Original review: March 11, 2014

I re-piped the home in 2006 so I bought the best hot water heater available, a Kenmore 55 gal 12-year warranty. Sometime during 2010 the tank had a small leak. Sears Technician came out and said I could go pickup another tank at the local store in Ft. Myers, Florida. No problem. Trip to Lowes for a few parts then to Sears for a new tank then bam, it is installed.

Sometime towards the end of February 2013 my wife said the tank was leaking on the floor. No big deal, I made 5 phone calls to 800-877-6420 just to setup the 1st tech appointment. A week later the Service-Technician came & said I had a cracked anode-rod, so he order another and rescheduled install appointment for 3/12/14, approximately 2-weeks later. Again no big deal, it's a slowww leak somewhere on the top of the tank. But, on Saturday 3/8/14 the tank ruptured sometime in the night. I was awoke around 7:30 am by my neighbor telling me that water was flowing out of my garage and down the street. I shut off the main water valve and started calling the 800-877-6420 number again. Each time I called I was transferred to someone that could not help me.

On the 3rd call someone recommended I called back 8:30-9:00 am, maybe the department was not open yet. At this point, I have been waiting for ~ 3 weeks for a hot-water-heater to be repaired. Where is the service? I wanted a Technician visit today but was given an appointment for Monday. I have a wife and 2 kids (6 y.o and 10 month) and it is winter in Florida. Yes it's warm during the day. While the wife and I could survive without hot water the kids would not be so happy. Remember, I turned off the main-water-valve to stop the flood, so there is no water to flush toilets, dishes or laundry. The house was built in 1985. I have added valves now so we will be able to isolate the hot water heater in the future. Where is the service? With no water I went to Sears and bought another heater and installed it this Saturday.

Service-Technician (very nice) came Monday 3/10/14 and confirmed ruptured tank and changed my $80. The Technician said I may have a faulty ground-wire so since I was paying him I asked him to check it. The wire turned out normal. Why do I need to pay? Whatever, paying $80 is worth getting my $500 back that I paid for the replacement on Saturday. Today is Tues 3/11/14 and I have not been contacted for my tank replacement. Where is the service? If I had not replaced the tank over the weekend we would still be without water (hot or cold). From what I can tell the service issues start with 1) the employees that answer the phones (it really takes more than 1 phone call for service?). 2) The lack of urgency to correct the problem (It takes weeks). 3) The lack of follow through on service. I'm told this is season and this is the reason Sears is behind. I would suggest triage service calls.

As a side note that is semi funny: When I bought the new hot-water-heater this Saturday I was asked if I wanted a Service protection plan. I declined stating that it takes Sears to long to fix such an important machine. We had to turn off the main-water-valve to the entire house. Where is the service. Think of it this way. Would you like to pay an extra $150.00 on top of the cost of the hot-water-heater and wait 3 plus weeks for service?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2013

Installed a Kenmore gas water heater Monday November 25th. Left for Thanksgiving and found the drain pan full of water on Sunday December 1st. Checked water connection on top of heater, control connection into tank, and overflow valve. All dry. Sears sent technician to confirm what I told them on phone. Technician called to order replacement and Sears service denied the order until the original installer could confirm their technician's opinion. This will cost me 2 and maybe 3 days of work to stay home and wait for another confirmation to an unfixable water heater issue.

This is unacceptable service and Sears is either hiring the wrong people or they have lost their way in servicing their customers. I am officially an ex-Sears customer. 2 stars instead of one star because I am more annoyed than angry. I won't tolerate companies that think the sale ends once they have your money and sell you an extended service agreement. I will spend my money with companies that earn their customer's business. Goodbye Sears.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2013

My mother-in-law called me Saturday to let me know that the Sears hot water heater I installed in August of 2008 had failed!!! The tank is leaking around the Vent pipe area. We called them and they want 90.00 to come and tell us that it can’t be repaired, before they replace it under warranty!!!!! Sears is a bunch of con artist, thieves. Won’t purchase any more form Sears and encourage everyone else not to also!!!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2013

Have to replace a Kenmore water heater purchased at Sears. It's still under warranty so no big deal. Even if it wasn't under warranty, I wouldn't be upset with having to replace it because it's 8 1/2 years old. What is frustrating is when I called the warranty number, I was told by the rep that a repairman will be coming TODAY between 1-5 pm and will call 30 minutes before arriving. I asked specifically if he said today and was told yes.

At 4:40, when I did not receive a call, I called the warranty number again and was told the work order by the first rep stated the appointment is set for Oct. 12th. Based on Sears practice of setting a four-hour timeframe for a repairman to come to the home, it is my opinion they are not customer friendly. Because they failed to have the repairman here today as I was told, they have lost my future business.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2013

Have a Kenmore electric water heater model 153.320551 that needs a new lower heating element. Went to HD and purchased a "Universal Element" for less than 10 dollars. Well the threads won't engage since the "Universal Element" is slightly smaller. Great. Ordered an element from Sears Direct for almost 70 dollars (tax and shipping). How Sears thinks a replacement part should cost 7x as much is unbelievable. Sears is sinking fast when they lose a 40 year, faithful customer like me. Next time this heater gives me a problem, will go to the local plumbing supply and purchase a heater they stock parts for. No more Kenmore products.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2013

Same problem as many with Kenmore water heater, only 6 years old, with 9-year warranty. Pilot light goes out, then have to re-ignite pilot, heats up water, then goes out again. Service tech will come out today, probably will experience similar issues as other posts. Hopefully will have part and not leave us positioned by the unit to reignite 3 times a day or so. "Name brands" don't signify much these days. That's why many solid and reliable companies from the past tend to fade away.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2013

We purchased a water heater from Sears and, after several weeks, it failed to heat up the water. We waited 5 days for it to be repaired only to have it break down the following month. We waited 8 days for repair as they had to order a part. We are now presently without hot water AGAIN, as the water heater is not working again. This time we are told that it will be 9 days before anyone can get out here. Needless to say, I will not be purchasing anything from Sears ever again!!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2013

Into the 3rd year of owning this water heater, which I really loved, the water only SOMETIMES heated up. We started dreading taking a shower in the early morning because we never knew if the water would heat up beyond lukewarm! I thought it was a fluke at first, but now we're coming up on our 3rd year anniversary with it and nothing has changed in the disappointment area. Very dissatisfied with this water heater.

Original review: July 27, 2013

We purchased a Kenmore elite water heater from Sears 3 years ago. Everything was until it stopped working. It turned out that the Sears installer had installed it with a small leak in the supply line connection, which dripped into the heater and rusted out the tank. Kenmore charged us $75 to send someone out. He said "talk to the store"; they said "call the national service line". They transferred us to another service line. They sent us to the "Water Heater Hotline". They told us there was nothing they would do.

We just bought a new GE water heater from Home Depot. I understand now why Sears is going to go bankrupt.

Original review: July 26, 2013

I purchased a Kenmore Power Miser 12 Model #153.331414HA water heater six years ago. The heater was rated as a 15 year heater. In the last six years, I have replaced the pilot light assembly three times and cleaned it countless others and for the last year I have had to manually light the pilot everyday in order to get hot water. I order a replacement pilot assembly and installed it. The replacement unit failed after two days. It was obvious to even me who is not a mechanical whiz that the thermocoupler on the pilot unit was not shielded from the open burner flames thus causing it to overheat and shut off. At the same time I purchased a gas range. The ignitors for the stove top have not worked properly since about one year after purchase. Only one burner will ignite and you have to manually light the others to cook. Also for the last two years, the oven will not heat to the proper temperature (i.e., about 200 degrees lower than the setting on the control unit).

I too have experienced poor customer service from SEARS including having to pay $75 dollars for warranty repairs, customer support staff obviously located in Mumbai, India not being able to answer questions about parts or service, delays in scheduling repair times, and my wife was put on hold off and on for over four hours trying to get her questions answered and to get a repair time scheduled even though she asked repeatedly to be transferred to a supervisor. The supervisor was no greater help than the customer service representative. I have since bought a competitors brand of hot water heater because it is made in American and their customer support staff are located in the United States. I also filed a complaint with the Chicago Office of the Better Business Bureau about these appliances.

SEARS has responded that their records only show one service call to them and I informed them that their records are inaccurate because there were two repair calls for the same issue. SEARS has informed the BBB that they will not reimburse me for the cost of the hot water heater or even for the cost of the replacement pilot light unit I recently purchased which failed nor have they addressed the issue with the gas range. I have asked the BBB to inquire as to how many service calls SEARS has received nationally regarding replacement of the pilot light unit on this model of hot water heater and the number or percentage of these calls which were repeat service calls to replace the pilot light unit.

I also asked why I cannot be reimbursed for replacement pilot light unit I just recently purchased that failed since there should be some limited warranty of 30 or 60 days on even parts. We will see how they respond. If anyone else out there has had similar issues with either this model hot water heater or with their gas range I would like to know.

Original review: June 14, 2013

This complaint will be redundant but I want to add my voice to the crowd. Bought a water heater a year and a half ago (gas), and now there is no power. Obviously, it has in internal power source, which is out. No indicator lights, no pilot light, nothing. A friendly, difficult to understand Sears representative set up an appointment for next week, so that a tech can look at it and confirm what I already know. I've replaced them before under warranty. But we will have to pay the obligatory $75 for a service that is under warranty, and then wait for parts and a new appointment to install them. I have to leave for the week, leaving my wife and two daughters to deal with it. But Sears has no sympathy or ability to deal with that. It sucks to be us. And this all started off on the bad foot.

When I bought the heater, the water heater was damaged inside an undamaged box. I didn't even take it off of the truck. I called my local Sears, who PROMPTLY accused me of damaging it and saying they would do nothing about it. After three (3) 50-mile round trips to the Sears store, they ordered me a new heater and admitted that it had been damaged before being boxed up. But it cost me dearly in trips and time off to deal with it. Sears has no interest in doing what is right or being an above the crowd business. As a customer, I am a nobody. Perhaps, other businesses are like that. Time will tell. But they will get their chance. This is my last purchase from Sears.

The two things that frustrate me the most about dealing with Sears on this: 1) Paying $75 for something that isn't my fault, but should be under the warranty. If the Sears product failed, Sears should be paying that to the technician, not me. 2) The mechanism for dealing with this is too big for any personal service. I can't speak to someone who knows fluent English. I can't speak to a technician and possibly work through it without spending money or having to wait a week or two without hot water, and ultimately, I have no assurance that Sears cares about me as a customer. I am a commodity to them, nothing else. There is no substance left to be loyal to. Sears is no different anymore. They don't stand out.

Original review: May 22, 2013

I do repair work. I was called out to help because a family had issues and their plumber was busy. I replace, on average, one hot water tank a month. Warranty is not what they claim at the store. The tank was manufactured in July 2010 with a 6-year replacement warranty. But when you call, you need to pay to have their service person come out to verify the problem. The earliest appointment is June 6th. This is Tuesday (almost 1 week from Memorial Day). Towel test was done to verify no leaks around fittings including the elements. The tank is defective. I was transferred to 5 different people (90 minutes on phone until the rude, older person and I got disconnected).

Their response: We know it is not right, but we could fit you in the Tuesday after Memorial Day. Everyone agrees they are sorry and they would not want to be without hot water, but "should I make you the appointment for you or can I help with anything?" Really **. So I want everyone, when they need a hot water tank, to run to Sears.

Original review: March 18, 2013

After five years, my water heater failed. It was a Sears Kenmore 40 gallon, natural gas, with a 12 year warranty. It was leaking water all over. I called the number on the water heater and was told that the earliest a technician could come out and verify that the tank was leaking would be 9 days later; it would cost me $75. Then if he verified it was leaking, I could get a new tank. So I have to pay to get warranty service? I called a local plumber and had it replaced today. This would be the last business I will ever do with Sears and the last Kenmore I will ever buy.

Kenmore Water Heater Company Information