Call toll free
4.36/5
Based on 181 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

KB Home is one of the largest and most recognized homebuilding companies in the United States. Since its founding in 1957, the company has built more than half a million quality homes. KB Home's unique homebuilding approach lets each buyer customize their new home from lot location to floor plan and design features. As a leader in utilizing state-of-the-art sustainable building practices, all KB homes are highly energy efficient and meet strict ENERGY STAR® guidelines. This helps to lower monthly utility costs for homeowners, which the company demonstrates with its proprietary KB Home Energy Performance Guide® (EPG®). KB Home has been named an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award winner for four straight years and a WaterSense® Partner of the Year for four consecutive years. A FORTUNE 1,000 company, Los Angeles-based KB Home was the first homebuilder listed on the New York Stock Exchange, and trades under the ticker symbol "KBH." For more information about KB Home's new home communities, call 888-KB-HOMES or visit www.kbhome.com.

KB Home Gallery (2)
B-BBB Rating
View More View More

889 KB Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

KB Home is probably one if not the worst builder in building houses, bad quality all over. I moved 3 months ago into my new house and every week something new breaks down. 3 times already my AC broke, oven 2 times, garage door is leaking, power outlets and switches don't work. Please stop building houses. This is pathetic.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I've turned in my 1-year warranty items. It was a specific list provided by an inspector. One month later the contractors were scheduled to come to my home. I've had to follow up several times with the warranty contact, and the contact admitted to dropping the ball. I've taken time off work and not all of the contractors were scheduled. I'm extremely disappointed in Round Rock, Texas.

Original review: July 30, 2018

With the overall experience I've had so far, if I could do it all over again I'd most likely buy a KB Home. It fits my families needs in today market. I just wish the attention to detail was there. Like the attention to detail that was provided with my in-laws new home by Taylor **. We lived in that new home until our KB Home was built. Comparisons are inevitable due to recent living in 2 new homes, and that's why I'm disappointed in the finished product (comparatively speaking). I have a nice KB Home, but there are obvious and definitive levels to builder's quality.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Awesome Job and I love our home! This is was an overall great experience! Everyone in the process from sales, to lenders, to studio, and construction all played their roles really well. They made this process less stressful than I could have ever imagined.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I give KB a five, not because they are perfect (nothing is in this industry), but because they are honest, listen to the customer, have good people working for them, and take a lot of pride in building correctly. I am happy!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KB Home?

Original review: July 26, 2018

We loved our KB Home experience! Everything went so smoothly from start to finish. Everyone we worked with was very friendly and helpful. Our construction supervisor was fantastic and communicated with us weekly about the progress of our home. It was amazing seeing the process from lot to home. The hardest part was just waiting for it to be done because we were so excited to move in! Only thing I would do differently is make two separate studio appointments instead of both appointments in one day. We will definitely recommend KB Home to our friends and family!

Original review: July 25, 2018

Angie was absolutely amazing. We are excited for our shutters to get put on, she knew us well! I had to request updates on the loans, the rates were not competitive, I had to get another loan quote to show them that we qualified for far better rates than they were offering. At one point to get a response I had to reach out to the manager to get an update. Further, I had an experience where I asked her as she was "matching" my quote where we were on that, we waited 5 full business days for a response to find out that the person who was analyzing it was on vacation. She should have known this from the get go. That is unacceptable. I know she was screening my calls because I would call, not leave a message, and a couple of minutes later get an email about the loan. That's not OK. Pick up the phone and talk to me.

I will say the person, Linda, who was helping me through underwriting did a great job! There were absolutely no issues with her service. Rosa was unresponsive and went on vacation twice during the processing of my loan without at least letting me know with a simple email. Danny when I discussed with him the concerns about the financing and how long it was going, he would reply with, "I'm sorry this isn't going to YOUR expectation, we've done this a lot, YOUR expectation is too high." I've purchased and sold four houses, I know how the process should go. It's not hard. It's their job to meet me where I am and make it easy. This is accomplished through solid communication and understanding. I would never use this loan company again, even if you were offering me a ton of down-payment assistance. I'd eat it.

I had a concern before we closed, and voiced this to Angie **, and the construction foreman, I think his name was Tony, and he said the tree was fine. I still have some major concern about the tree. I think it's going to or is dying. Further, I was told they'd do a deep clean on the house before we moved in. There is still construction debris on the window in the stairwell, which I will have to purchase a ladder and clean, a couple of the light shades in the kitchen and dining room were cracked (not too worried about this because I plan on buying new ones), there are screws that are now showing heads in the master shower (I can fix this, but I shouldn't have to), the water heater is throwing an error and beeping now, I need to call on that, but apparently it's gone back for a while, because the history shows it does, which is scary.

The driveway has divots in it which when the rain comes they fill with water and stay wet. I did also ask before we closed if all of the sprinklers and drip lines work, I have since found out the drip lines on the plants that were there when this was a parking lot are NOT actually hooked up. I asked that the plants be replaced that had died on that hedgerow.

Original review: July 24, 2018

We had great experience with KB home, Apex at Berryessa Crossing! Went to the model homes so many times, had so many questions, but all of our concerns and questions were addressed by the sales. Thank you for helping us find the dream home!

Original review: July 22, 2018

KB Home has a really nice floor plans, the team is really helpful, customer service is really good and the construction team is great. The quality of the materials can be better for the price of the houses. In general I will recommended.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I have never had a home built from the ground up, but I feel that this has been a good experience and everyone on staff fits their job well for the company. Starting with sales and moving on to the final walk through.

Original review: July 20, 2018

In general, I want to express my satisfaction and experience with KB Home. I believe that KB Home is a company of excellence with an attentive, helpful, friendly and collaborative staff for each of its clients. Due to my experience, I always seek to satisfy and supply each one of the needs of its clients, so that each family has a pleasant and reliable home. Therefore, I recommend to each and every one of the employees of KB home that they continue to offer a quality service to each of their clients, just as they did with me and my family.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Fantastic and a great place to live. KB Home do beautiful work. Nice and friendly staff. Nice and friendly construction crew. Sales was very helpful and at the end of the day with the blessing of God they gave me a beautiful home.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Very disappointed with this experience. Sales staff was great, lender was great, construction was great. The issue was the CORPORATE OFFICE. We are extremely disappointed with the fact that the corporate office absolutely refused to respond to phone calls, emails, and other requests to speak to them. They never showed us the courtesy of returning a phone call. This shows us how they valued us. We were denied a new homebuyer's incentive that was being offered to new customers at approximately the same time we began the process of purchasing our home. KB still has not even attempted to make this right. FOR THIS REASON I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND KB HOMES TO ANYONE. You still have a chance to make this right. Someone from corporate can call me or you can simply ignore this because you already sold the home and you've been paid. It's up to you.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Sales team amazing, lenders are barely satisfactory, building quality could be better, home is beautiful but the quality of materials used is not the best. Overall it was an okay experience. Closing date kept changing and this was by far the most frustrating part.

Original review: July 20, 2018

The price is decent, but overall workmanship is not good. KB could have done better on floor plan and design, a lot part were left for home owner to fix later on. KB Home never provide option to fix the issue.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have purchased a new home build prior and my experience with KB was far more professional and positive. I really appreciate the clear and concise language all staff are. Your homes are built with quality.

Original review: July 20, 2018

My experience with KB Home was enjoyable as I appreciate that all partners involved went from the beginning to the end. I did not question the status on the sale, builder, or lender because I was kept in constant contact with each party. They also kept each other informed which helped in case I spoke to any of them and they were able to relay the message. This is my second home purchase, but my first construction home and it was a much easier process when working with the KB Home team.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Again... my only issue was with the sales staff. There were things that they were suppose to tell me and was not told until studio time. Had issues with incentives that were promised to me and then almost denied to me. Just things like that.

Original review: July 2, 2018

It was a grate community. I like that we where able to pick our floor plans. And that we have options to upgrade the design of the house to our family needs. This was a good price property. This seems to be a good community for our young family.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I am completely satisfied with the whole experience. Amy, Josh and Darin went above and beyond to make sure that I was a happy KB Homeowner! If anyone out there is looking for a quality home with a "custom feel" for a reasonable price in a nice neighborhood, choose KB. You won't be disappointed! :)

Original review: June 29, 2018

I am glad I went with KB because when I hear stories from friends that went with other builders, my experience was by far the best! I get to brag about the relationships I built in the process of me purchasing my home.

Original review: June 28, 2018

We bought a KB home two years ago... We had a small ranch, built to order for over half a million dollars. The landscaping is the cheapest they can put into the homes and so are the plumbing fixtures. But we can replace those and live with that. Our lot was across from an open area that we were promised was going to look like a "park." What we got is a "native" grass weed lot that matches any intercity vacant lot I have ever been to. When we go to the meetings to complain, we are told though... "That's what the city approved and that's all we are going to do." They lied to us and they will lie to you. Good luck if you don't heed this warning.

Original review: June 27, 2018

From our first visit to the sales office we knew we were going with KB. Michelle treated us like family. She was very professional and extremely patient with us. The houses are beautiful and the staff is amazing. Extremely happy with the entire experience from beginning to end.

Original review: June 27, 2018

We are very happy with our KB Home. We search all over Duvall, Saints John's & Clay County Florida to find a home with everything we wanted and their only place we were able to find their Quality and Value was KB HOMES Forrest Hammock in Clay County Florida.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Being able to choose everything we wanted in our first home was great. With the help of all the different staff members our entire home purchase from design to construction to completion went very smoothly.

Original review: June 26, 2018

KB made our first home buying experience wonderful and easy. They were very helpful in answering any questions through the entire process, they mapped out exactly how the timeline would be and who you would report to. KB was wonderful to work with and I'm glad to call a KB house our home.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Our buying experience with KB has been amazing! We will refer KB to our friends and families. The home construction/buying process was much easier than we expected. We are grateful and appreciative of the KB staff for the ease of the home buying process.

Resolution response: June 29, 2018

I now realize my comments are unwarranted and presumptuous. I should have reached out to a manager before writing this review. Once I spoke with a manager, KB resolved all matters quickly and effectively; they actually went beyond my expectations. THANK YOU KB AND DIANA!

Original review: June 24, 2018

I actually thought using a large and well known company such as KB would provide my wife and I protection in an area (home loan) we had little knowledge. BE CAREFUL. Not knowing that the shorter time you "locked" your rate, the lower the rate. Because we will pay for our home for 30 years, ummmm, this is pretty important. Our KB rep, Doug, sent us a rate and estimated mortgage, tax and insurance monthly amount. We understood this was an estimate and also understood this estimate wouldn't be perfect. BUT, knowing our home wouldn't close escrow for 90-days, Doug provided us what was called a "21-day-lock."

Two weeks later we receive a rate a FULL POINT higher. You see, it was simply a means of keeping us moving forward, while Doug absolutely KNEW that rate was incorrect the day he sent it. Now we've sold our home and are stuck unless we want to break our word with the lovely people buying our home. We would not do that because we gave them our word. KB, can't you? I don't expect you to adjust our rate (770 credit score!), I simply expect you to provide the same "credit" you give us to use your dishonest people so we can go deal with an honest company with your same guarantee we were counting on. We'll see if they can step up...

Original review: June 23, 2018

My experience with the staff and all the contractors was great. I have met some of the neighbors are very nice people and I’m very satisfied with the craftsmanship of my home and the overall staff, I would recommend KB Home to friends and family.

Original review: June 23, 2018

KB does not only provide quality homes but also quality service and quality staff. The customer service is outstanding and the satisfaction of the customer is their top priority. It was a very pleasant experience to buy KB Home and their staff makes it even more worthwhile.

KB Home expert review by Joseph Truini

KB Home offers customized homes and specializes in allowing buyers to control most aspects of the design process.​

• Built-to-order services: Users can specify exactly what they want their home to look like during the ordering process, right down to the cabinet door knobs.

• Available in many areas: Currently, KB Home builds homes in the District of Columbia and seven states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina and Texas.

• Personal design consultation demystifies the custom-build process: Consumers discuss their preferences and get pricing information to build a designer home that meets their budgetary requirements.

• Models can be seen on a walk-in basis: Prospective buyers can drop into the KB Design Studio nearest them to view options whenever it's convenient; an appointment is only needed when they are ready to buy.

• Home customization can be rolled into mortgages: Most of the building costs are covered by the buyer’s mortgage after purchase.

• Best for: KB Homes is best for people who are on a budget, but still want to customize their home; people with special needs and requirements, highly independent people and environmentalists.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

KB Home Company Information

10990 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles
www.kbhome.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business