4.39/5
  • 1 star
Based on 181 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

KB Home is one of the largest and most recognized homebuilding companies in the United States. Since its founding in 1957, the company has built more than half a million quality homes. KB Home's unique homebuilding approach lets each buyer customize their new home from lot location to floor plan and design features. As a leader in utilizing state-of-the-art sustainable building practices, all KB homes are highly energy efficient and meet strict ENERGY STAR® guidelines. This helps to lower monthly utility costs for homeowners, which the company demonstrates with its proprietary KB Home Energy Performance Guide® (EPG®). KB Home has been named an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award winner for four straight years and a WaterSense® Partner of the Year for four consecutive years. A FORTUNE 1,000 company, Los Angeles-based KB Home was the first homebuilder listed on the New York Stock Exchange, and trades under the ticker symbol "KBH." For more information about KB Home's new home communities, call 888-KB-HOMES or visit www.kbhome.com.

KB Home Gallery (2)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 16, 2017

776 KB Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

With only a minor exception, I got exactly what I was promised when I first spoke to my sales agent. It was quite a long process, but the team was very supportive and knowledgeable throughout the entire process.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

My experience with buying this KB home went really good! I moved her from California and the constant contact with me and making sure that I understand my home and also providing information that I needed coming to this new location has made me feel good. I am thankful for Tony who comes and check to see if I need anything, he is great person.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

My overall experience with KB Home was fantastic! KB has a staff of professionals who are attentive and knowledgeable. They make sure you understand every step of the home building/purchasing process, are always kept in the loop in regards to your home and make sure you are satisfied. I would recommend KB to my family and friends in a heartbeat. I could not have had a better experience!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

It was a very memorable experience. I was very pleased with my service and the house was given on time. My clients were very happy with the construction and the services that came along with it. I would definitely work with you guys again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

KB Home offers a wide selection of homes for many budgets while offering exceptional design and construction. The lot sizes and locations are one of the major reasons why we have selected KB Home over other developers. To state it simply, you get a great home with exceptional value.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KB Home?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Outstanding staff, passionate, caring, and very knowledgeable of their duties; at least the ones I directly interacted with. They'll do what they can to make you happy. Downside is, their contractors lack attention-to-detail.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Awesome Builder, Their house are well built and energy efficient. The most part I like of this builder is that they give the buyer the options of customizing their home picked model by adding or taking away with the options they really need in it, in difference of other builders that don't have this option for the buyer.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

They really take care of my customer satisfaction. They spend enough time explaining all features and details of the house. I enjoy my experience in KB Home. I found smart and friendly people and my home has everything I need.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

KB Home has their act together and has really streamlined providing a quality home buying and home building experience for clients. We encountered no major hiccups or difficulties in our home building process, and our house was delivered on time and superbly constructed. We could not be happier!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

KB is great, I think you guys provide a quality home at a great price and for someone like myself and wife, we are starting out and this is our first home. It was hard to find a quality home in our budget, competitors either exceeded our budget, or quality was far below what we expected from price. KB fills a void by giving quality at a great price. Exceeded our expectations, very appreciative how you really want the customer to be satisfied and this really shows in the staff. Always friendly and polite, Happy we chose KB.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

KB Home provided a wonderful experience and when issues arose, their staff worked on our behalf to get the finished product done right. The entire staff was professional, courteous, and provided high-quality service consistently.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I don't even know where to begin... From the sales, to the construction, all of the employees, customer service follow-ups, we have not had one positive experience in purchasing this house. I have already posted one review from before we moved in (yes it was even a nightmare then) and our problem then was rectified, but that doesn't even scratch the surface for the problems we have encountered in the year we have lived here.

During the construction of the subfloor on the second floor, the workers "forgot" to leave the 1/8" gap between the boards (even leaving some boards not even screwed in) causing them to warp from our furniture being on them for an extended period of time. The longer we lived on them the worse the warping was until they were protruding through our carpet, I've attached photos. Nothing was done about the aforementioned issue in 10 months of living in our home and we finally had to circumvent Logan, the onsite construction manager, to a higher level. Not only does this hinder our resale of the home but is malpractice on the construction of the structure of the house.

When said issue was taken control from Patrick, a higher level construction manager, we negotiated that I would be staying in the home while they would fix the floors - under the caveat that I would have decent sleeping/safety arrangements for my family. This was the worst decision ever. Not only did we not have decent sleeping arrangements, the construction lasted 2 full weeks and not one single safety precaution was set in place for my family.

Tac strips on thresholds were left open for days (while we had to live here and we have two small dogs), plastic curtains with zippers were left in doorways as well as one unanchored one to go up and down the stairs (not only one but two of us tripped on this almost falling down the first flight of stairs), the subfloor or glorified plywood was exposed to walk on (for multiple days to and from my children's rooms), all the while we had to remain in my home from 8am-4pm most days to let workers in and out, supervise and clean up their mess once they left. I'm including pictures. Let me add at one point that my other available options were that we could "sleep downstairs on an air mattress" or "find a place to stay with friends or family". Note that we are military, no friends or family in sight, and that I have 4 kids with my husband out to sea (known by the construction manager) for the duration of the construction on the floors.

We had a meeting with Patrick on Halloween (2 weeks ago) to have our 10 month walk through, 1 month late. There 21+ warranty items that have yet to be fixed. 1 has been fixed in the last two weeks. I was contacted by a customer service rep 2 weeks post construction, I believe his name was Darren? He said he would send me an email with his contact info and some kind of something to rectify the construction issue. That was almost two weeks ago. No email, no returned call.

Some of the major issues included in the warranty work needed: Backsplash - was compensation for installing the wrong cabinets... The guy came twice to put the backsplash in without the backsplash. On the second time, I told him to install the one they were supposed to with my original kitchen (it was taking up 1/4 of the floor in my garage). He installed it, missing the wall by the fridge, not installing the bullnose and kindly washing his grout mess all over my landscaping without cleaning it up. This was promised to get fixed, and nothing.

Concrete - It is literally crumbling every time it rains. I pressured washed some cobwebs off my front entry and there are now ripples. Same crumbling is even happening in my garage just where we walk, not even exposed to the elements. The sides of the screened in lanai and the front porch have bigger pieces actually missing (Logan claims the skidster hit part of it, but was just going to leave it at that and not fix it). I've included pictures. This was promised to get fixed, and nothing.

Baseboards - From the completion of the floor warranty work, the carpet installers completely jacked up our baseboards. Not a single care was taken when they were cutting and installing the new carpet. They banged their carpet stretcher all up and down the staircase and didn't clean up their mess when they were finished. Also, there was a HUGE language barrier and I could not communicate these issues with them at all. Every baseboard they touched needs to be fixed. This was promised to get fixed, and nothing.

Overhead lighting - By now I'm sure it's no surprise, but even the design studio had issues. I was the first customer for Rena and not only did my appointments last longer than they should have (2 8 hour days) she completely bypassed the overhead lighting in every single bedroom of the house. If we didn't upgrade to a ceiling fan or can light, it doesn't have a light at all. Same for the coach lights at the garage. None. So the only room with overhead lighting is our master, where we put a fan. This was promised to get fixed, and shocker, nothing.

Counter - The seem keeps separating (3 times now) said it will get fixed, nothing. We have continually been disappointed by the lack in care for us as customers, and the severe negligence and oversight in the construction/sales of this home. Nothing has been done in the year we have lived here to make us happy, or fix our issues to any kind of higher standard. Seriously think twice before purchasing from KB.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Out of all the home builders we looked at KB Home provided us with the most professional home buying experience and recommended a lot and floorplan based on our needs that we fell in love with. After the home was built their support has not stopped there. They continue to ensure we are happy with our new KB Home which we are!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

BEWARE. KB Home does not care about your house once you sign the loan documents. When things break and you have proof, they play the blame game and end up doing nothing. It is always someone else's fault. Buyer beware!!! My neighbor's water lines are buried in the same trench as mine and his line is vibrating and it is resonating into my house and causing damage to my wall. I can't even get them to come and look at it. Aside from that, my foundation cracked all the way across my house, cracked tiles, cracks in walls, doors that do not sit level and open and close on their own. Not happy at all with this company!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

It was great. The staff all around was very helpful. Especially since my loan was turned down by KB bank and I had to get my own lender. Sales staff, Carlos **, was very positive about going forward with purchase.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

My home has a number of structural issues due to the foundation. KB sent an engineer that they use. I had no choice in who to use. The report stated that my foundation is not needing repair. I’m stuck with a house that’s cracking.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I am so glad I chose KB for my first home buying experience! If you are debating buying a new home, take the step and walk into the sales office! You'll be so happy you did! I walked in unsure but all of my questions were answered quickly and my concerns were at ease. The staff was so welcoming and allowed me to have the time I needed to ensure that I was making the right decision. I visited KB at the start of my home buying journey and decided to take a break as I thought I wasn't ready. About 6 months later, I walked into the same sales office and the sales team (Yolanda specifically) remembered me! I definitely felt like family and I knew I wanted to work with KB for this wonderful experience!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Our experience with KB Home was very positive. All the staff we met with personally were both very professional and very knowledgeable. We would definitely recommend KB Home to other buyers. Being a part of the design process was the best part. We are now literally sitting in our dream home. We had a vision and now we’re living in it! Thank you so much to everyone at KB Home!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Best Customer Service - They will see to any issues that arise naturally during a build and make sure you are 100% satisfied. Not as much can be said from friends who had other builders. KB Home stands by their product and quality. Impressive.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

From selecting the site and floor plan to the final walk through, the KB Homes staff was professional, knowledgeable, and very accommodating. The quality of the home is excellent, we saw the materials used to build the home from the ground up and were impressed with the craftsmanship and the overall fit and finish of the final product. We heard some negative things about KB that really worried us, but our experience and our beautiful new home clearly demonstrate that KB is a name that we can trust with the biggest financial decision of our lives.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

This was our first time building a home. People we told warned us that we would never want to build again, or that it would be a nightmare process. However, at the end of the process we have both been more than satisfied with the experience. We got what we wanted and it was far from the nightmare friends warned us about. The KB staff was helpful and our new home is wonderful!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Our experience was great. KB Homes worked with us on making changes and trying to get everything just right. We are extremely happy with our home. Kristen in the design center was extremely patient with us and so nice, and we couldnt have asked for anyone better than Johnny! He went above and beyond what we were expecting. Mark, the warranty guy, is also wonderful and so helpful. The only negative thing we have to say is that the caulking could be better. It seems that a cheap product was used because it is already separating everywhere in the house.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

KB Homes was great! - Almost everyone was pleasant and knowledgeable. Had a bit of trouble with the closing and person at closing. Due to Harvey my closing date, even though on their books, apparently was NOT the closing date. They need to figure this out much better and communicate. They told both agent and construction manager that I was closing on a certain date but when I called to confirm (they hadn't told me) she said I wasn't closing on that date. It was a horrible mess.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

The price range is what led us to buy a KB Home but you get what you paid for. They are the Ross of home builders. The simple things you would think comes with the home (i.e. porch light, cable/phone plugs) are all upgrades which adds up. The quality of the final product is subpar. We moved into a brand new home with the air conditioner and dishwasher broken! We couldn't move in at our final walkthrough because there were so many issues with the home we used all of the blue tape to mark everything off. But as I said, you get what you paid for. In the end, I would not do it again and pay a little more for better quality. They do have good customer service but the quality of the product needs some work.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Customer service was exceptional. The location was perfect. Even though We had a great experience and love the single storey homes but there were only a few lots left with very little yard. That was the only reason we didn’t pursue one of the models.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

The Stearns Lending (preferred lender of KB Home) was the worst I have ever dealt with, lack of communication, when the manager got involved (after I got mad enough to finally have the processor get me the number) she knew about as much as I did about where my loan was in process. "She wasn’t allowed in her employees files” and in the end they couldn’t tell me why my monthly payment was a $150.00 more a month.

I want to start off by saying the staff was very helpful until the week before closing. I went through the house and marked all the issues that needed to be touched up. Did they fix most of the things but just pulled the tape off on the rest. So they said they would get it fixed after closing since they need to meet their deadline. It took time to get them over to fix things and to the point that I had to constantly follow up with them and on occasion even call the contractor myself after the customer service person (not so much of a customer service rep) to get it fixed. I did fill out the customer service serve and even though I put all this in the report, no one contacted me from the corporate office. I was promised a garage door opener if foreman got high marks for his part. Not knowing that it was combined from all departments. He didn't get the highest marks and I wrote a email his boss.

So now a year later I was ask to fill out the same form again and the customer manager would use the “KB dollars” he would get to do extra things to my house. I informed him that if I would fill out the form he wouldn’t get the high marks due to anything being done since I submitted the first serve. The customer service manager said he would have someone from the corporate office contact me. I did finally get a call from someone and they listened to me and all the issues. He said that he would have the different departments contact me regards to all my challenges I had with the process. I have yet to hear from anyone from KB Home.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

My house is being built and is approaching completion. It seems that KB Home didn't study the home plan before building. I wanted to extend the driveway in front of the garage for 3 feet. They did it then they said the city of Austin didn't approve it, so there's an interstice between the driveway and the extended part. I just wonder why they didn't ask for city approval before doing it? Since then, I never feel safe when it comes to their construction. I went to the house every other day to check if there's anything wrong. Sadly, more problems came. They forgot to build the arch in front of the den, I asked them and they are now fixing it. They also made TWO walk-in closets in a small bedroom while there's no closet in the master bedroom. And now they forgot to run electrical wire on the ceiling for 4 dimmable lights although I did upgrade it in the contract.

They really piss me off! Do they think I would not remember what I upgrade so they can pass it easily?? Or do they just care about money, not quality?? I'm really afraid of the quality of this house. KB does so many things wrong, but I can check them out and ask KB to fix. BUT what about something inside that unobservable?? I know they had a bad reputation in other states. I hoped they'd be better now. However they made me so disappointed! CAN I FEEL SAFE WHEN LIVING IN A HOUSE WITH A LOT OF TROUBLES LIKE THAT?? I'll cancel the purchase if they keep making mistake like this! Can't stand anymore!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

We were apprehensive at first to the thought of having a home built due to the horror stories we've heard from friends who had homes built. We watched KB build homes before ours and was impressed with the quality, layout and options. The home we had built is more than we imagined and we are so glad we did this. The KB Staff was professional, skilled and they just delivered and made this a great experience! If I have a home built again, I would do it again with them.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My husband and I were in the process of selling our KB Home in June of 2017, we had purchased in San Antonio in 2014. There were a few minor repairs that needed to be addressed. Susanne ** was amazing, she followed through and had everything taken care of in a quick timely matter. I want to thank KB Home and Susanne.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

It was a pleasure to meet and talk to Patrick **, KB Home Sales Counselor. Patrick is honest, personable, and has a great attitude - these are qualities that I look for in people I do business with. I felt Patrick had my best interests at heart - he was attentive to my unique needs in the home I was looking for.

KB Home Company Information