4.4/5 (572 ratings)

About KB Home

Enjoy a new home uniquely built just for you. With KB, customers have the ability to personalize their new home with design options that fit their lifestyle and budget. Homebuyers also have a partner every step of the way.

Pros

• Online design studio
  • Variety of floor plans
  • Many communities in eight states
  • Personalizations available

Cons

• Charges HOA fees
  • Limited availability

Bottom Line

KB Home is a highly rated home builder that sells customizable homes in communities in eight states. It has a variety of floor plans and price points, and it provides an online design studio for more personalization.

Top KB Home Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We have had so much fun with this process. It is exciting to see it go up and see choices you have made come to life. Those who worked on our house overcame the pandemic and built...

Verified

KB Home builds an excellent home, delivers on time, and it is always and exceptional value! I've both lived in a KB Home and used for an investment property and in both use cases,...

What is KB Home?

KB Home is a home builder that offers innovative designs, personalized floor plans and flexible pricing on new homes. Its designers work with homebuyers in communities across Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, Texas and Washington.

You choose your floor plan, your community, the homesite and desired customizations, and KB Home takes care of the rest. Its homes are energy-efficient and designed to your specifications. Financing is available through a lending affiliate, and the company also works with standard mortgages.

KB Home floor plans

The first step to building a home with KB Home is exploring its online galleries, tours and floor plans to find the perfect home for you. KB Home's floor plans are available in a variety of sizes and configurations with flexible living spaces and from two to six bedrooms.

KB Home’s online design studio shows all the personalization options available, such as lighting, flooring and cabinets. Once you’re satisfied its portfolio is right for you, schedule a consultation with one of its designers to learn more about the building process, your options and pricing.

KB Home prices

New construction homes from KB Home typically cost between $180,000 and $500,000. Factors like the location, floorplan and customizations affect the total cost. Your KB Home designer will ensure you meet your homebuying budget, whether you’re looking for a starter home or a multimillion-dollar mansion.

KB Home prioritizes affordability, so there are many ways to save on costs during the building process, including some free personalizations and design options. Schedule a consultation for a customized quote. Its lending partner, KBHS Home Loans, offers financing for qualified home buyers.

KB Home FAQ

Does KB Home sell good homes?
KB Home is a reputable home builder with positive reviews from homebuyers. You can view pictures and virtual walkthroughs on its website for a better idea of the quality of homes offered.
Does KB Home have HOA fees?
KB Home sells houses in communities that typically have HOA fees. Ask during your initial consultation which fees are associated with the communities you’re interested in.
How much are KB Home upgrades?
Many KB Home upgrades are offered at no additional cost. However, for premium upgrades, you can work with a home designer to customize the home’s fixtures and features to your needs.
Who owns KB Home?
KB Home is a publicly traded company. As of 2020, Jeffrey T. Mezger is the CEO of the company.
Do KB Home houses come with appliances?
Yes, your home can be customized with specific appliances. The company typically offers Whirlpool appliances, but you can visit one of its design studios to learn more about available options.

Is KB Home a good builder?

KB Home is a legitimate, well-known home builder with a strong portfolio of customizable new homes. Its communities typically have homeowners associations that charge fees and may not be right for every homeowner. KB Home builds in communities across Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, Texas and Washington. Schedule a consultation for pricing and customization information.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KB Home?

Original review: June 4, 2022

I have been a homeowner before but I have never purchased a "new home". The experience was quite intimidating for me but everyone that I worked with from sales to design center to construction to after I moved in, has been amazing. They helped keep this single mom feel secure in the decision that I made. I have friends that have bought from other builders and I have heard horror stories. It took 1 year and 10 days from contract to close, but that was based on market conditions, nothing KB Home could control. During that entire time Cheryl, Mark and Brady were so wonderful about keeping me informed every step of the way. The design center was also very overwhelming as I'm at home looking everything over trying to decide what I wanted, needed and could live without since I was on a budget.

My first meeting with Mallory was on a virtual call. Right there she took away 90% of the stress I was feeling. We listed what I wanted and I spent the next couple weeks prioritizing what was and was not a "have to have". I then met with Mallory at the design center. She took me through all the steps and never made me feel pressure to add anything that I did not feel was important. She gave great advice on coloring, what would and would not work together. I'm not an artistic person so her help was well received. In the walk thru there were minor things that needed to be resolved. Most have been corrected and a few are on "back order". But again, that is a result of our market place. I've now been in my home about 5 weeks and I cannot be happier. I feel like I'm at home.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 27, 2022

KB Homes is amazing to build and buy with! They showed us a wide selection of options within and outside of our budget to see differences of course and what we do and don't want. While also making sure we stay within what we could do which was awesome. They showed us great examples digitally and in person of what you can do with all their home layouts. They go over the whole process from beginning to end as far as expectations and do's and do not's which were highly appreciated.

Considering that we were first time home buyers and weren't even considering building or buying until we came just to look at the model home site with a friend who had recently built a home with KB as well in the Jarrell community. We were nothing but impressed. Of course building supplies were high in demand so the process took a lot longer than expected at certain points, but getting the freedom to choose every single aspect and setup of the house from their thorough layouts was to say the least my favorite thing about building with them. I especially loved that we could drive out to the home site often to check the process while also receiving frequent photo and detailed updates from our sales agent. We highly recommend and we are 1000% satisfied with our new home! Thank you KB!

Original review: May 12, 2022

We are so pleased with our KB HOME and the stellar staff that walked us through every step to home ownership. The Sales team was so nice and accommodating, letting us look at the model home multiple times. When we made the decision to purchase, we did have to wait for lots to open up however we received frequent check-in even if there was no update, just to let us know we were not forgotten. When there was a lot available, Lee was very kind and professional, walking us through every detail and answering every question. When we moved to being introduced to our Mortgage Loan team, they too were great communicators in the process, again providing us great information and answering our questions. The Design Center was a great experience.

Prior to our first meeting with Melissa from the Design Center we received an email that provided us with worksheets to prepare for our meeting. That prep info was so helpful because we were able to take our time in reviewing products and pricing, weighing the option that meant the most to us, all at our own pace. This meant that when it came time for our virtual meeting, we know for the most part exactly what we wanted, and we had questions ready to go for Melissa in order to make some final decisions. Then, being able to meet Melissa in person and view our selections in person was super helpful. We definitely made some adjustments and felt so good our choices. During the construction process we were just surrounded by a great team.

Lee our sales counselor gave us updates and picture via email all the time. Dave our construction manager would send updates on new things that were coming up to be complete and then letting us know when they were completed. We also really appreciated being informed when something was running behind due to supply chain issues and really appreciated Dave being patient with our questions. And then our loan team Raul and Colby, great communicators, so patient with our questions and providing us time to get things collected and submitted. The stellar service continues as we are matched with a great customer service rep Kat, she was with us on our finally walk-thru. She has checked with us during our first few weeks and will be coming back from another walk-thru to ensure our satisfaction. We are so happy with our home and the Team of professionals that made it possible to be in our home. Thank you KB!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

To say the least this process of buying our home through KB home was a journey. When we first signed on December 2020 we knew that our initial closing date, June 2021, would be delayed at the most to August 2021. To say the least it was extremely stressful trying to close on our KB home while moving cross country and our home being delayed 5 months. There was an error on KB home's part and very few communication as to how the error would be fixed. After several calls to lake county, we found out that our home was not being delayed by the county but rather KB home. I would like to note that it is extremely frustrating seeing multiple new communities within a 20 mile radius being built, all while your home sits because of constant "construction delays".

The house KB has built for us in fact is beautiful but not exempt from error. There are multiple things that we have found in our home that need to be fixed and getting someone to fix these minor errors is frustrating. However, what I will say is that we are thankful that KB home takes pride in being one of the more energy efficient builders. We would also like to take the time out and thank our wonderful Design studio consultant because she was amazing and had a tremendous amount of patience with us. The design studio is something that definitely makes the process enjoyable and allows us to feel connected with the builder.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

The customer service aspect was exceptional. Mark and Mallory were fantastic. Rene was also exceptional with helping navigate our lending process. We had transitions of construction staff throughout the building process. Scott was new, but exceptionally helpful and caring. Prior to Scott, we addressed multiple concerns that were not addressed in a timely fashion and in some instances, these concerns were attempted to be covered up. For example, the zip board was significantly damaged in several areas in the basement; therefore, compromising the structural soundness/integrity of our home. When addressed with construction staff, we were assured the boards would be replaced. Instead, the construction team placed siding and internal insulation to cover up these damaged areas.

The construction site was not tidy. We addressed this several times throughout the process, but did not improve. We became very concerned when we found rotting food hidden in very inconspicuous places in the frame work. Completely unacceptable. We are very disappointed with the craftsmanship for this level of purchase. We believe it is due to the quality of subcontractors KB Home has hired. The attention to detail was poor and the level of craftsmanship throughout the house, in general, is at a novice level.

We fully understand and appreciate the new home buying experience, and realize items will need to be addressed throughout the year after purchase; however, there are many things throughout the house that were either completed incorrectly or not completed at all upon further inspection. Our main concern now, as KB homeowners, is whether KB Homes will stand by their Vision and Mission Statements and deliver quality construction standards that are the "cornerstone" of your brand.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Buying the house was easy, getting it fixed not as easy. Sales consultant handled all the paperwork and was responsive on any questions or status. Closing date kept getting pushed farther out but that is to be expected. Items discussed during walk in inspection were not resolved by move in date. No contact was made until a month after move in. Warranty service issues are currently being resolved. Overall build quality is good, just some small things that need to be fixed.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

We had a great experience in purchasing our home. The team was constantly sending us updates on the home every week throughout the process. The team continued to be there and helped with any questions and issues we had after we moved in.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Ability to switch or retain Sales Agent. Finally, We should be able to get the price adjustment or credits within 30 days as market has slowed down and the price of the houses decreased to 15K-30K from the time of our purchase. It's truly appropriate cause the demand has decreased, this will put KB Home over the top of their competitors cause, KB can stand by their own quality of home builders on Price, Quality and Craftsmanship.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

This was our first home buying experience and we were very pleased with the whole process. KB Home made the process easy and the weekly updates on our new home and progress were exciting and informative. Finally, once in our home our Customer Service Rep (Ryan) has been amazing from the very beginning! He has helped us fix issues and small details we found after moving in and even helped us mount our TVs! Thank you Ryan and KB Home team for helping us set up our new home.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

There is good and bad when buying a tract home. The good is that you get to be the first one to live in the house. The bad is that KB Home is under a timeline to get these homes constructed. This can result in some work quality issues. Being a new homeowner myself, I was expecting a perfect home, but as I have learned, there will never be a perfect home. So I suggest, be very diligent when doing the walkthrough of your home and ask as many questions as possible and makes sure they fix everything, even the minor ones.

KB Home Company Information