Call toll free
4.51/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

KB Home is one of the largest and most recognized homebuilding companies in the United States. Since its founding in 1957, the company has built more than half a million quality homes. KB Home's unique homebuilding approach lets each buyer customize their new home from lot location to floor plan and design features. As a leader in utilizing state-of-the-art sustainable building practices, all KB homes are highly energy efficient and meet strict ENERGY STAR® guidelines. This helps to lower monthly utility costs for homeowners, which the company demonstrates with its proprietary KB Home Energy Performance Guide® (EPG®). KB Home has been named an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award winner for four straight years and a WaterSense® Partner of the Year for four consecutive years. A FORTUNE 1,000 company, Los Angeles-based KB Home was the first homebuilder listed on the New York Stock Exchange, and trades under the ticker symbol "KBH." For more information about KB Home's new home communities, call 888-KB-HOMES or visit www.kbhome.com.

KB Home Gallery (2)
B-BBB Rating
View More View More

931 KB Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Overall, our experience in the purchase and building of our home was excellent. We appreciate all the individuals we worked with as the process progressed. Everyone contributed in one way or another for a finished product. Success was guaranteed from the very start. Thanks again.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Very pleased with KB Home. Starting with the Sales Rep being professional and courteous which sets the tone of starting the home building process. Taking a visit to the Home Studio where you deal with professional staff that assist you on making your home beautiful from the inside out. Next, having a Construction Superintendent that is knowledgeable and can explain the building process thoroughly. Having a loan officer that can answer your questions and if they don’t have the answer taking the time to research and get you the answer. Then finally after closing, your Construction's Superintendent and Sales Rep stop by to make sure that you are settling in okay and that you don’t have any issues with your new home. Great and exciting experience.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

First lesson to learn is never even look at a new house without an agent. We made that mistake and we were in trouble already at the beginning of the process. Initially when we looked at the house we thought it was little high, however when the lady at the model home contacted us back they had dropped the price a little for end of the year close. She sent me a text. In the text it says (and I have the text as proof) "We have a 4br 2ba single story home for $319,990 and we have a lot for it". So we went there and she said she needed a $5000 deposit to secure the lot, and lock in the price. So we cut them a check and they ran our numbers through finance and we got our pre-approval.

About a week later the check cashed and we were invited to go to the design center and pick out our options. Upon arriving at the design center the lady said, "Let me pull up your information." When she pulled up our information it said that the total cost of the house was $323,990. I said, "Wait a minute. That's $4000 more than we were quoted!" So then she pulled up the screen that showed our pre-approval and it said that we were pre-approved for $319,990. This did not make any sense, we already paid them 5000 so the total should have been 314,990 left. So we contacted the lady at the model house and she said that was because there was a lot premium of $4000 but in the email it said that she had lots for the house. She said, "Well you have to put your house somewhere. Haha. Lol."

She said the base price is $319,990. I said, "So you can't get the base model for $319,000." She said, "Yes you do." I said, "Where are they gonna put the house, are you gonna build it in the air?!" It has to sit somewhere. So basically they used the word "Premium" as their excuse to charge us $4000 extra dollars instead of telling me up front in the text, "Hey we have a house and a lot and the cost is $323,990 not $319,990+$4000," and she never did make it clear. We thought the $5000 deposit was coming off $319,000 not $323,990. Never was that clear until after they cashed our $5000 deposit, and at that point if you want out they will keep that money, and if you're doing the math and wonder what happened to the other $1000 I have no idea. My wife and I are now considering walking away and contacting a lawyer if they don't resolve this issue.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

We were excited to finally be able to build our dream house. At first the experience was great. Slowly the communication stopped. We had so many delays.

After we finally closed on our home, the same day we moved it we had a large leak in the master bedroom. Our closet was flooded. They repaired it and it happened again. We've had so many issues. Our wall in our master bath is crooked and we were told they wouldn't do anything" due to they would have to tear down the entire shower. Today we've discovered a crack running from our dining room to our kitchen. The tile has actually cracked in the kitchen and is moving towards our stove. We checked the master bath and we have a crack forming there. This entire experience has been horrible. We had chosen KB because their reviews were good. We should have taken the time to speak to people in the neighborhood prior to purchasing.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

My experience was pretty bad when my loan officer stop communicating with me by phone calls, emails and text messages. My experience started getting even worse because my sales rep didn't communicate about my 10x10 slab. There was no communication with the sales team and construction team on what was going on. The only reason why we decided to stay with KB was: 1) Laura provided us a great experience. 2) Lori ** for assisting us with our issues and meeting us halfway with our closing cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KB Home?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

From the salesperson, design consultant, construction manager, loan officer and processor, my experience with KB was top notch. I was kept informed weekly of the progress of my home. Everyone was very professional and my home is beautiful. KB Home went above and beyond my expectations.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

The team is excellent. Focused on identifying the needs and expectations of the client to provide an excellent service. They make the process of acquiring a property bearable, reliable and satisfying. Clearly attend the concerns that may arise and provide the extra mile.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

First I will say that I'm a first time buyer. I did intense research on different builders, analyzing building process, selections and customer service. By far KB Home experience was top notch compared to others. Customer Service is excellent and Their staff take pride in it. They would do anything to ensure 100% satisfaction. I contracted my own Homebuilder Inspector during the entire process, and he did pointed out that KB building process and materials are much better quality than other builders. During the inspection phases we pointed minor issues and the Construction Manager immediately made adjustments without any hesitation. We are happily living in our new home, Overall Great experience!!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

KB Homes use quality material which attracted me. I am an architect by trade so the first thing I look for is the manufacturers they use. Carrier, Moen, Kohler, Whirlpool, and Rheem are just a few of the companies whom all make great products. The last thing I want to do when buying a new home, is not to have to replace anything for several years. Hopefully with the quality and workmanship KB Homes has provided me with, I will not have too.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Just signed contract to purchase an Energy Star home from KB in Surprise AZ. Appears to be a great value for a well crafted home using the latest most innovative high quality materials and appliances. Right now we are thrilled with our experience as we enter the design phase. When the new home arrives some time more than a half year from now I will write another review regarding the entire process.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Three years ago I built a home with CENTEX-that was a mistake. KB was awesome! From Denese the sales rep to Alan the construction manager, they really made me feel liked they cared about me, their customer and wanted to do the best job possible.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

After different family members experiences with other builder we were skeptical of anything build new. KB put us at ease. Their whole process is great. We didn’t feel no sales pressure at signing, unlike other builders. Site manager was great, he took care of us and anything we asked was done. Sales reps were and still are courteous to us. Anything we ask for they are always glad to help. KB provided a great experience and if I purchase a new home again, it will only be a KB Home.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Overall, the experience was amazing! We were kept in the loop and visited the home almost daily. The quality and quickness was surprisingly wonderful. They were able to finish our home much quicker than anticipated. We have been in the home for 30 days now and would love to be in for another 30 years!! It's a beautiful home full of customized options led by a competent Home Studio staff. It was a great experience from Day 1!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I rate my overall experience a 10/10. I feel confident that I made the right choice of buying a new KB-built home. I appreciate everyone for being professional and for making sure that I understood the whole process. Many thanks to Peggy, Jim, Andrea and Rob! Happy first time homebuyer and proud homeowner here! :)

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

When we started looking for a brand new home we went to all the builders in the Sacramento area and the one that stood out the most was KB Home Montauk, from first walking in. I have a lot of tattoos and other places looked and treated me like I couldn't afford it... that didn't happen with KB. Everyone from sales to lender, construction to warranty have been top notch. All my questions throughout the build everyone was happy to help and answer any and all questions and above and beyond to make sure my home closed on time. Thank you very much.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

From contract to closing, everyone was extremely knowledgeable, courteous, informative, concerned and responded to all of our questions. Could not have asked for a better new home experience and we have built before!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I loved division of the house, location of the house. As product quality, everything is very new and a little different from my country of origin, ready care Edwin and also of Pablo who always were willing to answer us and heal our doubts.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Overall I can honestly say that my experience with KB Home was a 10 every step of the way. The staff at KB Home strive to provided excellent customer services and ensure that the home owner feels welcome and in much control of the home buying process as possible. They work with each person at an individual level to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to have their dream of owning a home come true. Everyone at KB Home made me feel welcome and still continue to after moving into my home. I would highly recommend KB Home to any future home buyer as they go above and beyond to ensure that the home owner is well informed throughout the buying process and continue to provide a tremendous level of guidance well beyond the closing date.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Very happy and pleased. Overall, the professionals at KB Home were knowledgeable, honest, and helpful from the beginning to the end of the building process. I would highly recommend KB to my friends and family.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Very pleased with the process. My family was kept informed from the initial signing of the house through its final days. I was always greeted with a smile and the staff seemed genuinely concerned with our satisfaction. It was nice to see them share in my excitement. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

KB Home deliveries a high quality product that make us happy and also the people that work in the company are fabulous, Sara the sales agent and also Ed from Customer Service are very high level of services provides to our family. Thank you KB Home.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I was very well satisfied with the weekly updates and being able to contact John or Angela anytime by text or phone with questions I might have. When I visited there a few weeks after construction began, I was given a tour and explanation of the progress and told to contact them or visit anytime.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

The KB homebuilding and homebuying process was easy from start to finish. The model home is a great starting point and the sales consultant Kyle made the process very easy. Picking the options, the timeline and home completion were all on target thanks to the superintendent Stephen. KB offers very beautiful designs and do not charge exorbitant amounts for upgrades. The home is built with quality and attention to detail and the final product is gorgeous. I love my home and can say it truly is my dream home. Thank you, KB!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I am extremely satisfied with the home I purchased from KB. So far everything is great and there are no major issues. Not only the house is great but also the people who I worked with from the moment I started the buying process until I closed. Even after closing they still reach out to you and help you with any concerns that may have come up. Thank you KB!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

The best home buying team we have had the pleasure to work with side by side through the whole building to closing process. Complete staff has been welcoming, helpful and very insightful. Thank you KB Homes!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Every aspect of our home buying process was very enjoyable. From the first interaction with the sales team, through the building process, the KB Home Studio through closing was nothing but friendly and seamless. The whole team made us feel like they genuinely cared delivering us a enjoyable experience.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Buying a home is very stressful; however, the KB staff from sales to closing made sure I was happy and informed through every step of the process. Highly professional and very customer oriented staff. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Don't let the design and the looks of the homes put you off. They look really expensive but they are not and quality does not suffer because they are not highly priced. I urge you to go look at some models and see for yourself. Phenomenal!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I met with Donna. Having been a realtor myself, I know a good one when I meet one. Donna was very professional and took all the time I needed to understand the prices and to show me the model home I was interested in. Sadly, the subdivision was too far from my wife's work and we had to pass on this sub.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

We purchased a KB built home in the Cary, NC area within the Amberly subdivision. Within months of taking residence, we discovered a foundation issue which KB Homes corrected since the home was under warranty. We've recently uncovered additional foundation issues and only discovered the issue after pulling up the carpet to resolve a water leak resulting from improper installation of the dishwasher. We have reported this to KB Home and have yet to hear back from the company. Since the home is no longer under warranty, we have no speedy resolution without taking legal action. We are in the market for a new home. Never again will we work with KB Home.

KB Home expert review by Joseph Truini

KB Home offers customized homes and specializes in allowing buyers to control most aspects of the design process.​

• Built-to-order services: Users can specify exactly what they want their home to look like during the ordering process, right down to the cabinet door knobs.

• Available in many areas: Currently, KB Home builds homes in the District of Columbia and seven states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina and Texas.

• Personal design consultation demystifies the custom-build process: Consumers discuss their preferences and get pricing information to build a designer home that meets their budgetary requirements.

• Models can be seen on a walk-in basis: Prospective buyers can drop into the KB Design Studio nearest them to view options whenever it's convenient; an appointment is only needed when they are ready to buy.

• Home customization can be rolled into mortgages: Most of the building costs are covered by the buyer’s mortgage after purchase.

• Best for: KB Homes is best for people who are on a budget, but still want to customize their home; people with special needs and requirements, highly independent people and environmentalists.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

KB Home Company Information