Call toll free
4.60/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

KB Home is one of the largest and most recognized homebuilding companies in the United States. Since its founding in 1957, the company has built more than half a million quality homes. KB Home's unique homebuilding approach lets each buyer customize their new home from lot location to floor plan and design features. As a leader in utilizing state-of-the-art sustainable building practices, all KB homes are highly energy efficient and meet strict ENERGY STAR® guidelines. This helps to lower monthly utility costs for homeowners, which the company demonstrates with its proprietary KB Home Energy Performance Guide® (EPG®). KB Home has been named an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award winner for four straight years and a WaterSense® Partner of the Year for four consecutive years. A FORTUNE 1,000 company, Los Angeles-based KB Home was the first homebuilder listed on the New York Stock Exchange, and trades under the ticker symbol "KBH." For more information about KB Home's new home communities, call 888-KB-HOMES or visit www.kbhome.com.

KB Home Gallery (2)
B-BBB Rating
View More View More

1055 KB Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 20, 2019

After 1 month of living in my newly constructed KB Home, I can say with honesty that the experience has actually been a great pleasure. For our first home buying experience, the sales staff, construction process, studio selection process and closing were all relatively smooth and problem-free. We had small issues along the way regarding negotiation of pricing, construction/design concerns, appraisal issues and closing, however, the KB Homes staff provided excellent customer service throughout and in the end, they provided exactly what we wanted.

In this first month, the warranty service has been responsive and helpful. While scheduling has taken a little longer then I would have liked, the staff has always made great effort to make sure my concerns get resolved and to keep in touch with me to make sure I am satisfied. Since it has only been 1 month, I cannot give my 100% recommendation yet for KB Homes. Although, I can say that based off of my experience so far, I would recommend KB Homes for home buying. I am eager to see how my home keeps up throughout time, and only then will I determine how truly satisfied I am with KB Homes and whether or not they are truly worth the recommendation.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 2, 2019

My husband and I could not be happier for having chosen KB to construct our new home. From the quality of the construction, to the outstanding staff dedicated to making your home buying experience a good one, I don't think we could have done better. The reason I say this, and I know there are many other great homebuilders, KB did not stop in just offering nice home models, or great quality construction, KB also took into account a homebuyer's additional home costs by constructing with EnergyStar Certified homes saving us utility costs and protecting our environment. From the HVAC system, the types of faucets included that controls the water flow, saving you money, to the CFL lighting, energy saving appliances from a well-named brand and many other energy saving features.

We would not hesitate in referring friends and family to buy with KB. The additional features offered for the community are also excellent. The beautiful landscaping, enormous olympic size pool with lots of chairs, safety first children's play area, an enclosed dog park for the furry babies and many other community features. As far as we can say, you will not be disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

From the mortgage lender to sales to construction to customer service following closing, the entire team at KB Home has been phenomenal! Thank you to Heidi ** at KBHS Home Loans for putting up with my constant questions and reassuring me through the whole process! Thank you to Jarret ** for being the most caring and thoughtful sales counselor. He truly made us feel like family and has kept in touch with us following the sale. He has even come by the house on multiple occasions to see how we are settling in to our new home. Thank you to Sam ** for getting everything in tip-top shape for our move-in. We closed 22 days from going into contract and he really had his work cut out for him. He jumped through all the hoops for us and he made sure our home was move-in ready following closing. We couldn't be happier.

Finally, now that we are in our new home, we would like to thank Marisela ** in customer service. Obviously, with any new house there will be issues that arise after you move in and start using the home. Marisela has addressed every issue immediately after bringing it to her attention. We are very satisfied with our KB Home experience!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I had a house built with KB Home after looking for an existing home and also looking at other new homes throughout the Jacksonville, Florida area. With KB Home you get many options to choose from and they even have a design team to help you in making your choices. I choose KB Home because of the Energy-Saving Features they offer as well as the Exterior details and the Interior craftsmanship as well as the open floor plan and the option to upgrade to a Gourmet Kitchen and upgrade the master bath. I felt like I was building a custom built home with all the options KB Home has to offer. My Sales Counselor Anh ** was professional and was there for me every step of the way, she even called and sent me emails to check in with me on my questions on her days off. I was updated on a weekly basis with pictures and what was done for the week and what I could expect to be completed the upcoming week.

Logan ** the Superintendent & Customer Service representative was with me every step of the way. When doing the inspections he would find something not quite perfect and would mark it for it to be corrected and followed through to see that it was. I would go and look at the house as it was being build and he was always there on site at one of the houses being built. The design team was wonderful as well. My Studio Consultant was Dena ** and she was extremely knowledgeable and helped me to stay within my budget and still get all that I wanted in my home. I was very pleased with everyone that I dealt with while going through the process of having my home build. I highly recommend KB Home of Jacksonville, Florida. Their employees are very dedicated and believe in excellent customer service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Overall I am really happy with the customer service I received in this buying process from the sales agent & the construction team did a good job. But I was extremely disappointed from the KB loan department, took extremely long time with my loan process and to have them at the end refusing to approve my loan because of the fact we have same last name as my realtor agent. A lot of people have common last name but that doesn't mean they are all related.

Also the fact the underwriter & the loan supervisor were so lazy that they were requesting the same things/information as the other person had asked in the same email a day before showed the fact that they lacked proper communication with each other. At times I was really angry & frustrated but thanks to Misty for always making sure the things didn't get out of control & had me assured that things will be ok & gave me a different loan company that really speeded the process and finally after a month & half later from the original promised date, we finally got our home. Again I am thankful for Misty & great work ethic to help with this process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KB Home?

Original review: May 21, 2019

This first home buying process was definitely a pleasant experience. From the floor plans, to the staff, I was completely blown away with the builder. Professional and informative staff which is strongly needed throughout a home buying process; KB matched the ideal experience in which influences a buyer to purchase.

Original review: May 20, 2019

In Summer 2018 I entered into a contract with KB Home to purchase a new home in Rocklin (**), but unfortunately my initial work agreement with my employer (William Jessup University) fell apart after a few months and I had to withdraw from the deal. KB Homes representative, Jean **, told me that if I send them a letter explaining my situation, it is likely they will return my $3000 deposit, but they did not even bother to reply! I am very disappointed with KB Home, especially now that I have realized other companies like Shea Homes and Century Communities almost always return their customers’ deposits when they have legitimate excuses for not going ahead with the contract.

Original review: May 18, 2019

First off, lets start with the reason most people are drawn to KB Homes is they're cheaper than other homes. With this in mind, the phrase know what you're getting comes into play. Being cheaper means cheaper materials, cheaper building practices and cheaper subcontractors. I can only speak to my personal experience and opinions, so take this with a grain of salt. I was lucky to live literally around the corner while they were building my house, so I was there almost every day. I am all about cheap, and when it comes to materials, I am ok with cheaper. Those things I can have some control over if I treat them well (my philosophy, anyway).

As for building practices, from what I can tell, their practices are pretty standard, just the cheapest version. For instance, KB uses non-structural sheathing and engineered joists as opposed to structural and manufactured joists. Basically, this means that they are using cardboard stapled and taped together to the outside of the frame rather than OSB or plywood. Think about a picture frame with a cardboard back, you can pretty easily break the frame. Now use a piece of plywood instead. You would have a much harder time bending or breaking the frame. This also causes the water intrusion issues that KB is known for because the builders constantly are poking holes in the cardboard and the fix is to just put some tape over the hole (more on my personal experience with that later).

If you get a 2 story house, the second floor will be on engineered joists which (in my opinion) are nowhere near as sound as manufactured joists. The result is a second floor that squeaks and creaks like a 100 year old Victorian. My experience with the contractors was not that great. There are holes in the mortar and the slab/patio have big chips and cuts in them and are crumbling in places, which lead me to believe that they used too much sand (cheap). My house is only 5 months old. There are standard issues like corners not being square and edges not meeting and so on, but the biggest issue I had is this:

My house was built during a particularly stormy few months. In the final stages (carpet wasnt in yet), I found a big puddle of water in the upstairs master bedroom. I told the super and he said it was fixed later that day. An attic vent had blown off the roof. Went back 2 days later and there was the huge puddle again. Called him back and he said it was fixed; it was something else this time. OK. Went back the next day and now there was a puddle and the sheetrock was soaked down the wall.

Now, I was getting upset, but still... I had the super and the sales man come over and they tore down the sheet rock to discover mold everywhere and where the vent had been, a hole in the roof that the roofer had just slapped some shingles over. This was their "fix" and if it hadn't been raining, they would have gotten away with it... So, they apologized and remediated it and put a new piece of roof deck down. (I was mad). A couple days later, they said it was fixed (again). Went to look and, yes, the sheetrock was back up and all looked ok (except the water stain on the OSB floor). Great. Wait. They never put the insulation back in the wall. My point is this. KB builds cheap homes. Which isn't inherently bad, it just causes huge problems when something goes a little wrong. I wouldn't say they flat out lied to me, but, if left to work on their own, they will do the absolute minimum required to get the house out of their hands.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Very professional and courteous. They helped from day one with the process. From the home itself, to financing. Everything went smooth and efficiently. From the time we put earnest money down and closed on the house it was only approximately 6 weeks. Thanks.

Original review: May 18, 2019

From the first experience meeting the sales staff, to going through the whole process of picking the home and options, to dealing with the construction crews, I couldn't of been happier with our purchase.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Before buying a KB Home. I did my research. KB Home has really stepped up to the plate by making their homes better and more energy efficient. I feel like I made a smart decision and I got a beautiful new home that I am proud to own!

Original review: May 17, 2019

I had a pleasant experience, everyone was very helpful, they all were very accommodating as well when it came to changes and issues with paperwork on my side of things. I appreciate all the help I received.

Original review: May 17, 2019

KB Home have provided us a superior service and product from start to finish. The price of the house is reasonable and that's reason why we were able to do a great upgrades. The ending product has materials of good quality and a beautiful finished.

Original review: May 16, 2019

The home buying process is nerve racking and especially if you're building a new home. I enjoyed that I had one to three calls a week from the construction and/or the loan staff. I felt that if we had any questions they were answered quickly.

Original review: May 15, 2019

We started the build process thinking that KB built quality homes at a reasonable price. What we found is that quality is only there when you force the issue and check up on them during the build process. Be ready for phrases like "that is how we have always done it", "that is normal" and "we only do it this way". First thing you should know is that these are engineered homes. This means that the walls are built somewhere else and will show up on a big flatbed. The quality of the wood is terrible. It is like they went shopping for the worst looking pieces of lumber available. I counted over 50 studs that I would have thrown aside if I was picking them out at Lowe's or Home Depot. For our build only the front and back walls are reinforced with OSB.

The side walls are reinforced with a sheeting product. When I saw this and expressed concern and even offered to by the OSB to reinforce the sides of my home, I was hit with a definitive no. You can't call yourself a custom builder if you won't even budge on letting your customer pay for OSB and installation. We hired a independent inspector and forced an inspection before the insulation and drywall went up. He caught several things, the biggest issues were related to how the roof was tied down. They claimed to address it but we really couldn't tell because the drywall was thrown up quickly. The quality of the exterior painting was terrible. In the afternoon evening light you could see the spray lines. I complained and they painted it again.

The next big issue was the bathrooms, the tub surround in the one and the shower stall in the other. They used cement board and then patched the seams with fiberglass tape and joint compound. It should have been mortar. Joint compound is fine for drywall but a time bomb for tub and shower areas. I sold tile for 10 years. This is one of those times where I got the "this is how we always do it" response. They said they were going to move forward and do it how they always did it. I pointed out that they did not follow the manufacturer's specifications for installation and I would be willing to fight them on it. They threatened to continue the build and sell my home as a spec home if I refused to close. I asked them if they thought they could sell it with a lien against it for the amount of my deposit.

They magically offered to use the sealant called Red. That worked for me. Next big thing was the island in the kitchen. When I looked at it I could tell it wasn't level. The project manager said it looked good to him. I put a ball in the center and watched it roll to the side. It turned out the center was higher than all the rest of it. It took two more tries to get it right. Next, every window sill had saw marks. I pointed it out. Caulk was how they fixed it the first time. So instead of saw marks there was now excessive caulk. Caulk was also the go to weapon for every trim corner in our home.

We were in the home with the project manager looking at the Red application and the finish carpenter was putting the trim around the island in the kitchen. I watched him cut the trim too long and then use his hammer to force it into place. The end result was the trim was now pushing out in both places where it intersected with other trim pieces. They had to redo that twice. After being in the home. We found that the flashing was done wrong in the back of the house and actually resulted in water being directed into the back wall. Fortunately the water did not get to the drywall. Many studs had to be replaced and the installed OSB that sat out in the rain for 2 days. I made them redo it.

During the repairs the new project manager got chatty and shared that they no longer use the roofer that did all the roofs in our neighborhood because of quality issues. They replaced the flashing between the house and the patio roof. They used turn back flashing that has a C channel to prevent water from running under the roof. Do your research, step flashing is the right way to do it. When I asked about that, the project manager acknowledged that step flashing is the best way to do it but that they didn't do that.

When they pulled the back of my house apart to fix it, I noticed that none of the windows were properly flashed. They only used four nails to hold each 6-foot window in place. No nails on the top or bottom. When they first put it back together the outside trim around the window did not lay flat where it intersected with other trim. Each intersection of trim had at a quarter of an inch depth difference. When they replaced the siding on the house along the roof line it resulted in a very crooked cut line. Bottom line. Watch them like a hawk. Oh, and I will never buy another KB home.

Original review: May 10, 2019

We enjoyed our buying and building experience with KB homes. Antonio, James and Jeri always made every effort to help us no matter how big or small the question. We would recommend a KB Home to anyone looking to build or buy a new home. Thank you for a great building experience.

Original review: May 7, 2019

KB Home is a great option for first time buyers looking to customize every detail of the home. The sales team is very friendly and not pushy at all. Our experience with Bert was that he truly cared vs. some salespeople only looking to sell you something and profit from it. The Design Studio has many options to choose from and offer great selections. Our contractor John kept us informed on construction and helped explain the inner workings of the home. Overall very happy so far in our first 2 months.

Original review: May 3, 2019

The homes are well built with nice underground gutter/drainage systems to handle flooding issues that may arise. Love the serene environment and streets with well placed beautiful lights to light up the community. The accessibility to a large number of malls and other commercial settings is an added advantage to owning a home in this community.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Our experience with KB Home was made very easy by the people that we worked with and how well executed the process was. Our house was built quickly and everyone we worked with addressed any concerns we had in a very timely manner.

Original review: April 23, 2019

We moved here from the Midwest. KB representatives were flexible and understanding, as we watched our home being built from pictures on our phone. We only had to travel to FL twice. The Selection Studio is beautiful, so beware---it is easy to go over budget. Our advice: relax and enjoy the whole experience!

Original review: April 20, 2019

KB Homes are nice and the sales and service we got from them was great! We wanted a better selection of upgrades and appliances but were not available. This was our first time buying a new home and it was a good experience working with Joanna and Debbie.

Original review: April 19, 2019

The process was smooth and was moved in to our home within 3 weeks. Everyone at KB is polite and professional and is always available when you need something or have questions. I would 100% recommend KB Homes to anyone.

Original review: April 19, 2019

KB Home made the home buying process simple, but more importantly, comfortable. Every employee took the time and had the patience to educate us about the process until we were comfortable to continue. There was never any hard sales, and it was never difficult to get ahold of anyone involved in the process to have our questions answered. While we hope this new home is our forever home; if we ever buy again, we hope to buy through KB Home.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I am very pleased with my new KB Home. The arches on the entryways give it a beautiful look. I appreciate the energy saving features they put in every home and makes me feel good about saving money on energy every month. Love the sales staff and construction manager as they have helped me with any questions or concerns to ensure I'm satisfied with the house and any issue is resolved in a timely manner.

Original review: April 18, 2019

KB Home it is a excellent customer care company lidering in provide a personalized care to their customers and helping make happy the all family who get involved in the home purchasing. Love, timely communication and respect are qualities that characterize the staff who are responsible to make your dream home coming true, with positive and special staff member.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Complete, blessed. The only request I would like KB Homes to know is to Place grass on homes before closing, then the appearance would look a 100% better and customer that's making these big purchases will feel complete hands down.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Our experience with KB Home was very poor throughout the whole process. Multiple items were changed without our consent. The sales staff and upper management that we spoke with were not very helpful at all. It was more of a take it or leave it scenario with every issue we encountered. The one bright spot we had with our build was Chase **. He was our builder and did a outstanding job. Overall our experience was one of the worst I have experienced. I would not recommend KB Home to anyone!

Original review: April 18, 2019

KB Homes will do whatever they can do make sure you are happy with every single part of the home building process. When you say jump, they backflip. Each person at this company knows everything there is to know about your home, and the best way to go about completing it on time. Do yourself a favor and if you want to buy a home, do it with KB!

Original review: April 14, 2019

I am happy with my home buying experience. Sales, Design Center and Construction Staff are all knowledgeable, honest, and helpful. They made sure that they attend to all your inquires and request. I am happy with my new KB Home.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The experience was easy, professional and was kept up to date at all times. I had no problems going to view the progress on my house at any time. All my questions were answered promptly and Jayson and his team sincerely worked on satisfying me at all times.

KB Home expert review by Joseph Truini

KB Home offers customized homes and specializes in allowing buyers to control most aspects of the design process.​

• Built-to-order services: Users can specify exactly what they want their home to look like during the ordering process, right down to the cabinet door knobs.

• Available in many areas: Currently, KB Home builds homes in the District of Columbia and seven states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina and Texas.

• Personal design consultation demystifies the custom-build process: Consumers discuss their preferences and get pricing information to build a designer home that meets their budgetary requirements.

• Models can be seen on a walk-in basis: Prospective buyers can drop into the KB Design Studio nearest them to view options whenever it's convenient; an appointment is only needed when they are ready to buy.

• Home customization can be rolled into mortgages: Most of the building costs are covered by the buyer’s mortgage after purchase.

• Best for: KB Homes is best for people who are on a budget, but still want to customize their home; people with special needs and requirements, highly independent people and environmentalists.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

KB Home Company Information