4.27/5
Based on 172 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

KB Home is one of the largest and most recognized homebuilding companies in the United States. Since its founding in 1957, the company has built more than half a million quality homes. KB Home's unique homebuilding approach lets each buyer customize their new home from lot location to floor plan and design features. As a leader in utilizing state-of-the-art sustainable building practices, all KB homes are highly energy efficient and meet strict ENERGY STAR® guidelines. This helps to lower monthly utility costs for homeowners, which the company demonstrates with its proprietary KB Home Energy Performance Guide® (EPG®). KB Home has been named an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award winner for four straight years and a WaterSense® Partner of the Year for four consecutive years. A FORTUNE 1,000 company, Los Angeles-based KB Home was the first homebuilder listed on the New York Stock Exchange, and trades under the ticker symbol "KBH." For more information about KB Home's new home communities, call 888-KB-HOMES or visit www.kbhome.com.

KB Home Gallery (2)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 18, 2018

846 KB Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

This is our first time building a home but our second home we have bought. KB has been fun watching the house go up and discussing all the ideas. Our backyard has a pond and it's nice watching the geese and ducks. Very happy overall!

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We were very happy with the overall experience with KB Home. We found the process to be straightforward, honest and easy to follow. All the staff specially Mrs Georgean ** were very helpful and keep us on the loop through the process. Everyone seemed genuinely helpful and excited for us and our home. Thank you Georgean. :)

Original review: May 17, 2018

We had an amazing experience in this purchasing! We are in love with our new house! Since day one to the end of my closing day Pat and Lori were a blessing from heaven whom made my dream come true. I cannot be more thankful and happy because of their professional experience, knowledge, and help through the entire process I own my dream home in Florida. I encourage anyone who wants to buy a house in Jax to look for Pat and Lori because they will make it happen. Thanks my dearest Pat and Lori for all your support and all your help, my family and I are so happy and we really appreciate all you have done in this purchasing.

Original review: May 17, 2018

The sales and construction staff were wonderful to work with. We feel they went above and beyond to make us happy. They were very knowledgeable and attentive to our needs. Freddy and Joseph made the experience a wonderful one.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Every cabinet in the kitchen or bathrooms opens into something. Several doors hit walls. The attic ladder runs into the office door Jam. When I was buying my home I referred a friend who bought home as well. I was told I would receive $250 then was told, "No. It's only $50." Never was paid a cent. KB Home sent out several surveys which I completed with this information in them and have never hear back from anyone. The house is delivered all at once nailed together with Gusset plates. My issues here is KB does not want to hear about the design issues. What is the point of sending out surveys.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KB Home?

Original review: May 12, 2018

We are a little over 2 months into our new home purchase and everything went not only according to plan but better than in some situations. You get a great value for what you pay and they are there at every step to help you in your home buying process. I highly recommend KB Home to you and your family.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Overall, KB builds a great home. I've heard many horror stories about other builders and great things from realtors and others about KB. We recognize that nobody's perfect, but KB has taken steps to remedy anything we've been unhappy with - which isn't very much - and that's very important to us. We are also very happy with all the features of the home.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 7, 2018

In April 2016 I purchased a new residence from KB Home (Mission Gate). Since that date I have filed multiple claims (10+) with their warranty department for construction defects and workmanship issues. KB Home has refused to address my concerns after multiple attempts to remedy many outstanding issues citing that everything was "industry standard".

Issues ranging from drywall (nails/texture/etc), plumbing (failing fixtures/shower leaks/etc), improper hood range install (including improper ventilation), exterior stucco cracks, garage/driveway concrete issues (including stains/improper movement, undersized HVAC system (including coils/ducts), improperly installed cabinets, crooked granite countertop and front yard landscaping (including no drainage/dead plants/soil issues/no weed barrier).

Exhibit A: Improperly sized HVAC system including uneven attic insulation and poor ductwork with uneven airflow. The current system does meet federal regulations. This repair item exceeds $20,000. Exhibit B: Failing garage concrete including staining/efflorescence/etc. Driveway concrete has been sliding down towards the street causing lower curb/street damage. This repair item exceeds $15,000.

KB Home has falsely advertised that this home is Energy Star Rated: There is not a single LED light in the entire house including the garage. The recessed light housing was not wrapped properly for heat leakage. There was no smart thermometer installed for efficiency. Closets/etc. have no ventilation which generates trapped heat. No indication that energy efficient wall insulation was installed.

I have not received the HERS report from KB Home. Furthermore the developer provided an unspecified energy inspector report that was both false and misleading. The windows may or not be energy efficient. The solar panels only generate about $7/month. KB Home claims that there is an energy savings factor with no evidence. There is however evidence that KB Home and their contractors cut corners in an attempt to save money. I have had multiple contractors confirm that the workmanship is the worst they have ever seen in a new home.

I decided that I would e-mail Rich Howard (Senior VP, Inland Customer Service) addressing my issues. Mr. Howard decided that I was not worth his time. As a direct result I filed a complaint against KB Home through the Contractors State License Board (http://cslb.ca.gov). Upon receiving the complaint letter KB Home offered to resolve any outstanding issues. After completing a single repair they ignored the remaining issues and made false statements in an effort to have the complaint closed.

After speaking with the agent handling my case the complaint was then sent to an enforcement specialist. KB Home demanded that an industry expert be sent to my residence in an effort to "prevent [them] from incurring a cost for [their] defense." After submitting multiple invoices and letters from licensed contractors I discovered that KB Home went on the offensive. Their attorney contacted the licensed HVAC contractor who wrote an evaluation and threatened him with a subpoena.

Then that same attorney "accepted a new position" after I reported him to the State Bar. As the arbitration date was fast approaching KB Home sent me a lowball offer and wanted me to sign their non-disclosure agreement basically waiving my legal rights. Not only did they want to protect themselves but every single subcontractor they currently use for their existing developments. I declined and the arbitrator awarded me an undisclosed amount. This entire process took nearly two years with KB Home dragging out the process. They even continue to claim that they don't owe me anything.

If you purchased from KB Home I would highly suggest that you hire an experienced home inspector. Make sure that this individual checks everything from top to bottom including your foundation (if possible). Don't forget that you have legal rights which protect you against construction defects. Make sure that you document your warranty claims. I would highly recommend that you submit your claims through e-mail for future reference. If the issue does not get resolved the first time then make sure you notify the developer. This way you are prepared for arbitration/legal issues/etc. Do not forget that you signed an arbitration clause and therefore you must attempt to resolve your complaint(s) in arbitration before taking legal action. KB Home is currently being investigated for construction defects by Milstein Jackson Fairchild and Wade LLP.

Original review: May 1, 2018

When we started the process we were not at all ready to buy a home, we just went to a seminar to have an idea how the buying process would be since it was going to be our first home. After the seminar we were sold and started the process of buying right away. We got much help from the realtor, sales associates, lender etc... to make the home buying process a reality. Overall the experience with KB Home was great and we would recommend KB Home to friends and family as well.

Original review: April 26, 2018

The home is beautiful! We love our KB Home and feel happy with our decision. Not happy with our backyard and gate. Can barely get trash cans through the door. Would love it if they built homes with more backyard room. The backyard is disappointing. Overall, the house is wonderful and well insulated with energy saving features and beautiful upgrade options. We would recommend KB Home. Make sure you ask lots of questions before purchasing.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Before buying my KB Home, I had read reviews or heard negative comments about this builder. I bought here because my good friends bought a home previous to me in this development. My entire experience was nothing but exemplary. The sales, financing/loan, design, construction, and post-sale staffs were all top-notch and I have no complaints. I'm happy with the quality, the design, the features, and the value. Overall an excellent new home-buying experience.

Original review: April 24, 2018

We were very happy with the overall experience with KB Home. We found the process to be straightforward, honest, and easy to follow. All the staff were very helpful and kept us in the loop through the entire process. Everyone seemed genuinely helpful and excited for us and our new home.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Tyler and Matt have been great throughout the entire process, helping in every way they can without first home buying experience. Michele up at the sales office was wonderful also. They all did a fantastic job and made our first home buying experience fun, easy and a very pleasant experience.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I would recommend KB. I read a lot of reviews prior to building with them and most of the issues I found could be resolved if the home buyer got their own inspector. I found this to be the case for me as well. My inspector found several issues during the home building process and KB responded quickly to resolve them all. At the end, everything is fine with my house one month in. I will say, the inspector commented that the house was being built well and all the issues he identified were minor.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Absolutely the worst buying experience in my adult life! The two factors centered around disrespectful conduct by sales agent and a lack of communication. As an employee on Ft. Sam Houston, I cannot say at this point that I would recommend KB as a builder to meet a home buying need.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I visited different new construction neighborhoods in the immediate area, I found the KB Home sales staff to be more personable and outgoing as I looked at the models. The model homes had good layouts and were more reasonably priced than the surrounding neighborhoods. Very happy with my decision to buy a KB Home.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Since the first moment I met with Sarah and Ronnie they were so nice, explained me everything very clearly and they sent pictures every week to keep me updated. Edwing explained me all the construction stuff.

Original review: April 19, 2018

The KB Home team is great they are always there from start to finish. They are always available for any questions you may have. The workmanship is top notch. They follow up on any questions or concerns that you may have.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Very efficient process to purchase a new home. We were not on the area when our home was built so we have to rely on the KB team to keep us informed and to resolve any issues. They did a great job keeping us informed about our build!

Original review: April 17, 2018

From beginning to end, Alex was there to answer all the questions and was very cooperative with our schedule which I really appreciate. Our new house is great with so much natural light and great new features. We love our new house and all our friends/family fall in love with it as well.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I needed a house to close in 6 days. That was accomplished. The title company and the building company all worked together to get that accomplished quickly. This is a national company with experience from many state codes and restrictions. So your house gets the benefit of a national code versus a limited local code. This was especially beneficial in Bexar county where there are no building permits.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We have had a wonderful experience purchasing our home. The sales and construction staff are friendly, knowledgeable and most importantly patient. From the outset we described this as probably our last home purchase. Now that we have moved in, we feel even more strongly that will be the case. Thank you KB for our beautiful home.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I couldn't have chosen a better Builder. I wish I could do all over again, and in the SAME perfect way. Thank you, to Everyone in the KB Home family that was part of my Beautiful journey that I take with me FOREVER.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Peggy ** is great! We glad we have her as our sales agent! She is courtesy, knowledgeable and patient. KB Home is lucky to have such great employees! According to her great performance and detail explanations, we had decided to buy other home with KB again.

Original review: March 28, 2018

KB HOMES is an outstanding builder with excellent employees. They care about the home owner and the purchasing experience. Customer satisfaction is a priority with KB Homes, they go above and beyond to address any concerns and answer all questions at every level, from sales to closing, and beyond, with follow-up and customer feedback. The warranties on the home meet or exceed other builders that I have researched. We love our homes interior and exterior design.

Original review: March 27, 2018

We saw the house and immediately fell in love. The outside could be a different color but we can live with it. From the time we saw the house to closing we had constant contact with Lori and Dale to make sure everything was coming along as planned and we closed on the exact date we had planned all along.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The best value in a house we’ve ever seen. They curate the product offerings based on feedback from previous homeowners--generally, we found that this means we get better quality stuff and great prices due to national-level sourcing. Great design studio to help pull it all together and upgrades are reasonable price. Only issue we had was our closing date kept getting pushed out when we were within a week of closing--this led to a lot of tense moments as we negotiated with our landlord to let us stay longer than our stated move out date (we had to give this 60-days in advance, and we even padded it with a week).

The main issue is KB wants you to be 100% happy with the house at move in, which is great, except when “perfect” becomes the enemy of “have a place to live next week”. KB needs some way to make the final weeks more predictable, either by expediting work via overtime or allowing contingent (<100% done) move-ins. For us, it was a sewer line issue that took two tries to fix (w/in a week of closing). Had to dig up yard and our sod twice to get the fix done. After two months in the house are quite happy with our purchase.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Building a home with KB Home has been a great experience. You are never alone for a single step in the whole progress. The staff is great and all work together to build your dream home. Great quality and workmanship. I recommend KB for all my friends and family! Thank you for a wonderful experience -- I love my home!

Original review: March 22, 2018

KB has surpassed my expectations. My home is beautiful and well built. The staff remains available to me and I get calls and emails reminding me that they are there for me. I still can't believe it's mine!

Original review: March 22, 2018

Even if I had same negative observations on the work done I still say KB HOME is the builder I would chose and recommend against every other builder from the area and for sure I talked to people about building here if they want a good house. Please understand I am very demanding when I buy a house, because I buy a house not a chicken (as funny as it might sound).

KB Home expert review by Joseph Truini

KB Home offers customized homes and specializes in allowing buyers to control most aspects of the design process.​

• Built-to-order services: Users can specify exactly what they want their home to look like during the ordering process, right down to the cabinet door knobs.

• Available in many areas: Currently, KB Home builds homes in the District of Columbia and seven states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina and Texas.

• Personal design consultation demystifies the custom-build process: Consumers discuss their preferences and get pricing information to build a designer home that meets their budgetary requirements.

• Models can be seen on a walk-in basis: Prospective buyers can drop into the KB Design Studio nearest them to view options whenever it's convenient; an appointment is only needed when they are ready to buy.

• Home customization can be rolled into mortgages: Most of the building costs are covered by the buyer’s mortgage after purchase.

• Best for: KB Homes is best for people who are on a budget, but still want to customize their home; people with special needs and requirements, highly independent people and environmentalists.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

KB Home Company Information