4.43/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

KB Home

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

KB Home is one of the largest and most recognized homebuilding companies in the United States. Since its founding in 1957, the company has built more than half a million quality homes. KB Home's unique homebuilding approach lets each buyer customize their new home from lot location to floor plan and design features. As a leader in utilizing state-of-the-art sustainable building practices, all KB homes are highly energy efficient and meet strict ENERGY STAR® guidelines. This helps to lower monthly utility costs for homeowners, which the company demonstrates with its proprietary KB Home Energy Performance Guide® (EPG®). KB Home has been named an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award winner for four straight years and a WaterSense® Partner of the Year for four consecutive years. A FORTUNE 1,000 company, Los Angeles-based KB Home was the first homebuilder listed on the New York Stock Exchange, and trades under the ticker symbol "KBH." For more information about KB Home's new home communities, call 888-KB-HOMES or visit www.kbhome.com.

KB Home Gallery (2)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 19, 2017

742 KB Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

It was a pleasure to meet and talk to Patrick **, KB Home Sales Counselor. Patrick is honest, personable, and has a great attitude - these are qualities that I look for in people I do business with. I felt Patrick had my best interests at heart - he was attentive to my unique needs in the home I was looking for.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Sales staff was outstanding that was one of the main reasons for me buying with KB. They took time with me from beginning to end to make sure my home buying process was easy and satisfying as possible.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Overall the process was great, there were weather delays but construction stayed true. Right after closing hurricane Irma came through and I am pleased to say my home is "ROCK" solid! I love my home, will be happy here many years!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Purchasing a new home can be a daunting experience. However, I found the sales person (Pablo), the construction supervisor (Anthony), the customer service representative (Jeff) to be very competent and knowledgeable individuals, who did their best to make sure all my questions were answered, and my concerns put to rest. I also have to commend Jay at FBC mortgage for going above and beyond to ensure that my mortgage experience was as smooth as possible. Now I am ready to purchase my next KB home. :)

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Good price, but poor quality construction home. Overall, my expectation with KB Home fell apart after having to experience quality concerns with water flooding associated with plumbing issue, uneven tiles flooring, water leak through concrete wall and muddy landscape around the house.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KB Home?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

The staff at KB Home has made my home buying experience a very pleasurable one. They made sure that I understood every phase of the construction and was able to see the home being constructed as the months progressed, from beginning to end. The team has been outstanding and exceeds expectations.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Where do I start, well let's start with home design studio. They show a bunch of products that are told to be installed in your house to find that was to not be true. Like the fact they use the cheapest and lowest end products available. Just to give a quick background, I have been in construction since I was 15. I had to stop building on my house due to the poor craftsmanship and lack of quality. Spoke to the Regional boss and she laughed at me over the phone (complete disrespect). Had to replace most of the items in the house due to plugs catching on fire, cheap garage door opener, breakers undersized and too many outlets on one circuit (14) and lights on one circuit.

My roof was "repaired within the first year and was told it was (2) loose tiles". Roof has been leaking for (2) years now. When hurricane Harvey blew through the water damage ruined my little girl's bedroom. (No other damage was done, we just had a lot of rain). It was denied by my insurance company for poor craftsmanship and improper installation. The roofers came out and said it was leaking from a nail that was still in place. Guess what? It is still leaking. Oh and the insurance company I use was from KB homes. It's been over a month since the last report and they still cannot seem to get this fixed. If anyone can help, it will be greatly appreciated. I am meeting with a lawyer either tomorrow or the following day. This is just one of the issues with my house and there are countless other issues with the houses in the neighborhood.

Also after you buy your house they constantly call for you to rate them. I gave them a one across the board and every time they would fix one item they would call back and ask if I would raise my review score which never changed. If you want a lot of run around and broken promises, then this is the company for you to build your home with all your hard earned money.

If anyone wants I have tons of pictures, text messages and emails. Just take a look at the header that is partially being supported by a piece of 2X4. The damage to my cabinets from being ripped out (3) times to build my kitchen right. Also the duct for the vent hood must not be sealed right due to the stain starting to show at the top of my ceiling. Had to reset every toilet in the house due to poor installation. All the CAT5 for phones or data usage, the ends weren't installed correctly. I can keep going but it's just making me that much more upset and angry. Also mold is starting to grow in the room.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

We had a wonderful experience working with KB Home. It was our first time buying a new house, there was a lot of decision to make and the KB team made the process go smoothly. The construction staff finished the day they scheduled. We would definitely recommend KB Home to family and friends. We are very happy with our new home. Thank you KB team for making my dream coming true!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

If I am to judge KB based on my experience with their sales and construction staff, then I had the most seamless and amazing experience throughout the entire process. I have never been more satisfied, I am still finding it hard to believe that everything went so smoothly.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

An amazing experience, great price, and beautiful craftsmanship throughout the entire home. Our superintendent Frank ** walked us through the entire process and made us feel safe with all our decision. Great job KB Homes and Frank **!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I absolutely loved my experience with KB Homes. Everyone that I came in contact with did a great job with communication and being so helpful. Steve was the best, but also when was off work Susana was amazing help too. They both would help me through my loan process by allowing me to print out or fax information to the lender. Anytime I needed anything or just to vent they were there with solutions to help resolve the problem. Because of them I will recommend and purchase again through KB.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I was met by Ahmed to view the 2003 Mirabella model. He was very courteous and informative. We felt comfortable with the information provided. He had a friendly and professional demeanor and made it fun. We were able to see lots around the area as well. We look forward to possibly doing business in the near future.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I really like my house, which is why it is unfortunate that I was lied to when they sold me my lot as an "end lot", and now are building 3 houses right next to mine. The dishonest sales practice is disappointing, and I feel I was misled. I would have built someplace else if they had just been honest with me. I am happy with my house, though.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Be careful with this place. They will nickel and dime you during the process and heaven forbid you see something that needs fixing or replacing after closing because you are dead in the water at that point. Good luck.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I am very happy and satisfied with KB Home builders, their sales staff, construction, and financial staff. They did an outstanding job in making our home buying experience easy and memorable. I would highly recommend KB homes to anyone looking to get a new home built.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

This is my first time to buy KB Home. You have a wonderful staff who are very knowledgeable, professional, kind and patient. For sure if I buy a home again I will buy from KB homes and I won't hesitate to tell my friends that KB homes are the best. Thank you again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Thanks for being a great value. I was a little concerned because you hear the horror stories but after going through a Cat 3 and the house not even creaking or making any sounds or anything, I feel like this is a great choice and a great product. Thank you!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

The experience with KB Homes was incredible. The staff was always available and answered all of my questions. Communication was something serious for them. They always keep me up to date on each step of the process.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

KB does not just construct a house for you. It is the total sales and service experience that is worth building a new home. The staff make you feel as comfortable as possible and we have really been blessed with such customer service for the first time in 35 years.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

The process with KB Homes as a whole was great as a first-time homeowner. Everyone I interacted with was respectful of that, and at no point did I feel like I was being taken advantage of. From every step of the way, there was always someone there to help me understand the process and help me make the best decisions.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

From start to finish, working with the KB staff, and being able to own one of their homes has been a pleasant experience. We were blessed to have such a wonderful KB team to assist us. We have other homes built in the past, but this has been by far one of the best staff personnel to ever work with. Thank you KB.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

The experience was wonderful. From the start of the meeting in the office to speak with the sales, going through the construction to the design center and then the customer service after the completion of the home was excellent. I would recommend buying a KB Home!

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

This is a review to share my disgust and disappointment with KB Home. I was sold my million dollar home on false pretenses by a KB representative regarding the community. I was looking to buy a nice home, particularly within a nice community. The idea of a new build with a new community sounded appealing, but it has been a nightmare so far. I assumed KB Home would strive to keep the neighborhood aesthetically appealing to help aid the value of our homes, but they clearly don't care as long as their homes are selling. For the past year and a half, 2 commercial vehicles (Budget Blinds) have been parked right at the entrance of our million dollar home community. The homeowner that lives at the entrance owns them.

When you drive in, you will see a Budget Blinds van parked on the both the left and right side of the street. When buying our homes, we specifically asked about the eye sores and our KB Home representative told us they would not be allowed to keep them there once more people move in and not to worry (untrue). We read the HOA rules and CC&R rules which clearly state no commercial vehicles allowed within community so this sounded accurate. We moved in and immediately complained to the HOA board. Unfortunately, the HOA board consists of 3 KB Home executives and they have done nothing in regards to our multiple violation complaints about the vans. We have complained about this at HOA meetings and we also held an IDR (internal dispute resolution) meeting with the homeowner in violation, but KB Home HOA board members never show up or take any action against the violation.

We have spoken to attorneys and they are appalled that something so black and white in writing on legal documents is being ignored. The KB execs on the HOA board have been emailed and cannot deny the fact that we are upset, frustrated, etc. but have done nothing to rectify the situation. They will hold their board member seat for another 2 years in my community and they don't even live here. With the 3 of them, they hold majority vote on the board and are stalling us from any further action. This is absolutely disgusting that KB would develop a community with such high priced homes and outline the rules in which the community should abide, but then prohibit any action being taken to uphold the rules. Shame on KB Home!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Being a potential home owner/buyer I would expect professionalism to be shown across all aspects of the process. When visiting the sea cliff building site and Julie being very courteous and helpful I expected that from the people running the site. I decided NOT to purchase a home from KB due to the way I saw workers being treated. Yes that's correct. When purchasing a home I truly believe quality comes from people being on a job and actually enjoying and taking pride in their work. I witnessed the superintendent named Rory (don't know last name) being rude and condescending to the men who were doing the actual work.

I felt extremely bad for the man he was yelling at simply because he had set one of his tools on the counter. I understand it's due to scratches and such but I mean to curse and be a complete ** for lack of Better terms was absolutely unacceptable. These guys are doing the actual work while you just boss them around. I was mortified. needless to say I would never purchase a home from a company that condones this type of behavior. I'd rather buy an already built home which I did! But I couldn't just let this go because the laborers etc need to be treated with more respect.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Our overall experience with KB Home was satisfactory. After looking at the models on February 12, my husband and I signed a purchase agreement for a Reggie model at Olive Lane on February 14. It didn't take us long to decide since we have been looking for homes all over Fresno and Clovis for that size and price range, but every time we came across a model we loved with another builder, we would learn that they had little to no backyard. KB Home offer great lot sizes with ample backyard space. The quality of our home is pretty good (not excellent), considering the construction team took 3.5 months to build from the ground up. There were just minor details with paint and corners that could have been handled better, not deal breakers though and they were easy fixes.

We most appreciate the construction manager, Scott, who kept us informed and allowed each visit to feel very reassuring. We liked our sales rep, Misty, who stayed honest and candid with us throughout the process. She did rush us a bit in the beginning, which we didn't feel comfortable with because this is our first home-buying experience, but as we approached closer to closing escrow, she became more accommodating and got things done and questions answered for us.

The biggest downside of our experience was dealing with the preferred lender, Stearns. As mentioned this is our first time buying a home and the loan process is the most nerve-racking part. They had one rep who we just preferred not to work with since she wasn't 100% professional and only answered our questions when it was convenient for her. Everyone else at Stearns, however, compensated for her performance and reassured us once again until the close of escrow. I would recommend KB Home to couples & families on a budget and that already have their own preferred lenders in place.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I was happy with the community, however the contract/purchase phase sucked. I signed my contract and informed the seller of the one thing I had left pending. They didn't even allow me to complete my financing period, wanted to skip straight to closing 2 wks after I signed. And after sending my lender the ratified contract. Kicking me off the contact yet they took my earnest money when I signed the contract. Total BS!

I was even foolish enough to fall for applying with their lender thinking it would help acquire the information they were adamantly requesting for no reason because he had to wait on the same thing I informed them on from the start. I signed my contract expecting to be able to close within 30 days but wasn't allowed to. They only want to move their merchandise. They are not really looking for good potential families. They are all about the money and how fast they can move their inventory. So that they're free to move on to the next project.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

The most important thing is how comfortable we felt during the process. This is our second house, but the first one we've built. We were scared out of our minds having to make so many decisions and worrying about their long term ramifications. Yes I want knobs on the cabinets, but does that take away my kitchen sink in the guest bathroom? Should I extend the patio or put in wiring for a speaker system? So many decisions truly do affect your everyday life and it can be an exciting process or extremely stressful. KB did a great job in making it an enjoyable, exciting process.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I am in my 4th year of problems with KB Homes. Nearly every system in my home (Austin, TX) has had some problem. Thankfully, I haven't had the foundation problems or serious water intrusion problems that were reported in the news. I have never had to move out, just lots of visits to fix things, and you have to beg to get them to do warranty claims. Another thing... The onslaught of positive reviews that appear here starting in late 2016 for KB Home, there is no possible way that they are real. Something is going on. I live in a very small KB Home neighborhood, and I have talked to 20 of 25 neighbors about this, and not one ever said they were satisfied. KB Home is a profoundly and deeply troubled company. Just google them and you can find a trove of Federal consumer rights actions taken against them.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Our experience with the sales and service department were outstanding. Although we were not completely satisfied with the lending department, we did not let that deter us from liking the overall KB Home family and name.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Overall the experience of buying this brand new home was excellent. The sales staff and construction staff did a fantastic job! Communication was key and the staff was on it. Weekly updates and very easy to get a hold of. We enjoyed the experience so much. We are the second couple in our family to move to this neighborhood and also got our grandparents to do the same!

KB Home Company Information