Call toll free
4.59/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

KB Home is one of the largest and most recognized homebuilding companies in the United States. Since its founding in 1957, the company has built more than half a million quality homes. KB Home's unique homebuilding approach lets each buyer customize their new home from lot location to floor plan and design features. As a leader in utilizing state-of-the-art sustainable building practices, all KB homes are highly energy efficient and meet strict ENERGY STAR® guidelines. This helps to lower monthly utility costs for homeowners, which the company demonstrates with its proprietary KB Home Energy Performance Guide® (EPG®). KB Home has been named an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award winner for four straight years and a WaterSense® Partner of the Year for four consecutive years. A FORTUNE 1,000 company, Los Angeles-based KB Home was the first homebuilder listed on the New York Stock Exchange, and trades under the ticker symbol "KBH." For more information about KB Home's new home communities, call 888-KB-HOMES or visit www.kbhome.com.

KB Home Gallery (2)
B-BBB Rating
View More View More

1022 KB Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: March 22, 2019

Pleasant sales people. Value for Home. Only three problems the homes are too close together. And no 3 car garages for the large homes. Width of garages too narrow for storage. The clothes closets are in some of the bathrooms mildew problem.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I bought my house in 2013. First issue, house being built on wrong lot. I made several calls because the light bulbs kept blowing out. I called so often, they gave me a case of light bulbs. Each time, they found nothing wrong even though light bulbs continuously blew out. I have had to hire an electrician to do some rewiring and need to call an electrician again due to some lights 'humming' when turned on and my porch light not coming on and my security light continuously going out. I called KB Homes when I lost power in the rear of my house and was told, "Sorry. Your warranty has expired". Even though they have record of an ongoing issue with the lights going out which had to be an electrical issue, I'm SOL. I have found more negative reviews than positive ones.

Original review: March 16, 2019

This was my first new home experience and it was great! I had seen your sign, came in for a tour and we were off! Within a month, I closed on my home and I am a happy person. I love my home, I love the layout and the whole experience was top notch!

Original review: March 16, 2019

My experience with KB Homes was wonderful, I'm a first time home buyer and I have heard horrible stories about buying a home. Well the team at KB Homes, made my experience very easy. There was a couple of bumps in the process, but the team I worked with never stopped and made the end. A Lasting Impression. I would recommend KB Homes to all.

Original review: March 16, 2019

KB Home makes great promises, however frequently and regularly fails to meet standards and requests of Homebuyers. I will never recommend or purchase another KB Home purely due to the problems I had during the construction process. There were behind schedule which put me into a pinch due to moving out of an apartment. I gave them the opportunity to need more time 8 weeks and 4 weeks before the expected completion date. The day of completion they told me they would be five days late. There were lots of grand promises made, however the execution was terrible. There were many shortcuts taken that the inexperienced homebuyer would not pick up on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KB Home?

Original review: March 16, 2019

Overall KB Homes has been a very professional and organized company to do business with. From contract signing to being updated along the way throughout the process I felt that I was valued as a home buyer. The staff was always there to help and I feel very fortunate to have had such a smooth home buying process. The KB Home Studio is one of the highlights of the entire experience, where you can really bring your visions to life. Thank you KB Homes!

Original review: March 16, 2019

My home was given to me incomplete. The warranty service is more interested in ignoring me and keeping me in the dark. The workmanship and quality of the materials is poor. The lack of communication is upsetting. I have to escalate to corporate in order for my voice to be heard. I expected much better from a brand new home.

Original review: March 13, 2019

We are so happy with how our home turned out. KB Home make the home buying, design, and construction process an enjoyable experience. KB Home and staff has helped make our dream house a reality.

Original review: March 2, 2019

My husband and I could not be happier for having chosen KB to construct our new home. From the quality of the construction, to the outstanding staff dedicated to making your home buying experience a good one, I don't think we could have done better. The reason I say this, and I know there are many other great homebuilders, KB did not stop in just offering nice home models, or great quality construction, KB also took into account a homebuyer's additional home costs by constructing with EnergyStar Certified homes saving us utility costs and protecting our environment. From the HVAC system, the types of faucets included that controls the water flow, saving you money, to the CFL lighting, energy saving appliances from a well-named brand and many other energy saving features.

We would not hesitate in referring friends and family to buy with KB. The additional features offered for the community are also excellent. The beautiful landscaping, enormous olympic size pool with lots of chairs, safety first children's play area, an enclosed dog park for the furry babies and many other community features. As far as we can say, you will not be disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

We shopped around a lot before picking KB was our home builder and we are so glad we did. No matter how many model homes I toured, I always came back to this one. The things that were standard in our home would have been upgrades with other builders. The customer service has been great. We are so thankful to KB and its staff for building us our dream home!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

During the home buying process it has been overwhelming, however when we first met Amber she was right there to answer all of our questions. Other properties you go to everyone is too "busy" to help or go over options and details with you. It has truly been the the individuals that work for KB homes that have made us want to choose them when purchasing our new home.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My overall experience was great! I didn't know what to expect and was very nervous in the beginning but as time went on the team assigned to my home made me feel confident that I made a great choice in buying a KB home. I look forward to many happy years in my new home and love the community that I chose. Everyone involved in the process was such a pleasure to work.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Having never purchased a new home, my wife and I were very apprehensive regarding the possibility of such. From the time we first entered the KB office and met Joyce, all our apprehensions quickly subsided. All plans and options were carefully detailed out for us to choose, and soon we were designing our dream home in the KB Design Studio. From the moment we decided to purchase a new KB home, until the day we moved in (And past) all facets of the process has been stress-free! The KB Team still reaches out to us on almost a daily basis to ensure our satisfaction with our new home! The team has not only been very professional but have become friends along the way! I would recommend a new KB Home to anyone in the market for a quality home at a great value! Not to mention the incredibly friendly staff that comes with your purchase! We are very, very satisfied KB home buyers!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

KB Homes was an excellent builder for our first home purchase this year! The sales team staff, contractors and service care was wonderful and very timely. I would highly recommend them to anyone for beautiful new construction!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I was very pleased with the entire process from purchase to completion of my home. The sales staff are very professional and friendly and I couldn't be more pleased with the home design and the finished product. Excellent value.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Many new construction homes are not much different nowadays. Maybe different quality of materials and different size of home. And locations, etc. Out of all that I think the most important matter is who you meet at the first place and how they are. If I did meet someone else besides Angie, I might bought my house from other builder. Starting from her I met several people from KB Home. They are all trustworthy people. If I have another chance to buy one more house, I would look for KB HOME people again.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We purchased a model and the construction of the home was very good. We used an outside lender so there's no comment on KB financing. There are minor issues to be resolved but that was to be expected since it's been a model for approx. 3 years. Overall we are well pleased with this home and our experience with KB Home.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

The home buying, designing, and building process with KB Home was an excellent experience, especially as first-time home buyers. Someone was in communication with us the entire way ensuring that we knew what to expect and easing any concerns we may have had.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I love KB. Love the service they provided for us. From the studio to construction, everyone was so friendly and genuine. Our loan officer helped us every step of the way. Art answered questions on the spot as if he was Google for loan questions. He was like 100%. Our construction manager helped us from day 1 to present, we love Mario and everything he has done for us and our home. Our sales rep. showed us different models even those outside our community so that we can personally visualize the upgrades we'd be getting in our home. Everyone at KB has been the best, if I buy another house in 30 years, it'd be with KB.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

From the mortgage lender to sales to construction to customer service following closing, the entire team at KB Home has been phenomenal! Thank you to Heidi ** at KBHS Home Loans for putting up with my constant questions and reassuring me through the whole process! Thank you to Jarret ** for being the most caring and thoughtful sales counselor. He truly made us feel like family and has kept in touch with us following the sale. He has even come by the house on multiple occasions to see how we are settling in to our new home. Thank you to Sam ** for getting everything in tip-top shape for our move-in. We closed 22 days from going into contract and he really had his work cut out for him. He jumped through all the hoops for us and he made sure our home was move-in ready following closing. We couldn't be happier.

Finally, now that we are in our new home, we would like to thank Marisela ** in customer service. Obviously, with any new house there will be issues that arise after you move in and start using the home. Marisela has addressed every issue immediately after bringing it to her attention. We are very satisfied with our KB Home experience!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I looked at 3 other builders and they did not offer the choices KB offered. In fact one painted the interiors one color and offered no other options. KB's design studio gave us many choices and let us design our home.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

The experience I had with KB Homes was very surprising. The way they made the process so simple. Especially since I was in California buying a home in Florida. Their customer service and eagerness to want to make the process, was simply amazing.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

As stated above: We waiting a long time to do this survey as we could not properly gauge our feelings about our experience. Dealing with KBHS felt like a cumbersome experience. Our initial closing date was scheduled even before our walkthrough was scheduled. We constantly had the feeling they were trying to hurry and get us to close. The construction manager Bill ** has been great fixing our issues but he seems so very busy. He along with our sales consultant Robbie Moreno have by far been the highlight of our experience with KB though We still have issues with our home that are still being worked on. I kind of expected a bit better quality in a new home.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I’m a realtor working in the Katy area and have worked with Sweeta many times. She listens to my needs and has always be extremely helpful and professional. If I have a client in the price range I always go to Sweeta first. Thanks for all the great help!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Buyer beware!! If you are contemplating buying a home built by KB Home, please, please, please, beware. You better get a separate, private home inspection done before assuming occupancy of your home or you will soon regret it. As much as I would like to give this builder a zero, I can't. My experience with KB was initially a good one, at least with the sales staff. I bought my home some 12 years ago from KB, built from the ground up and paid upwards of $250,000 for it. Due to the shoddy construction of my home, my house is now currently falling apart around me. Not from poor upkeep, but from shoddy construction.

In September and then October of 2018 during the hurricanes that hit the region, I discovered that rain was pouring through my living room windows. I filed a claim with my insurer who promptly advised me that the damage to my home was a result of improperly installed j-channels and siding and refused to pay for the repairs to my home. I reached out to KB and over the past few months have found out that they really don't give a damn about you. In short, they refused me assistance because I was past my 10 year warranty period stating that I would have (somehow have bionic vision seeing damage formulating in the interior of my walls) noticed the damage if it were from poor construction.

The damage to my home was very extensive, and was due to water infiltrating behind the j-channels for years (the last 12 years) and rotting out the OSB walls, 2 by 4s, joist, support beams, etc. This required a full reconstruction of the right side of my home. KB REFUSED TO HELP ME causing me to take a $40,000 HELOC to fix the repairs. All through this time I had been in communications with KB, particularly Sean **, who is a regional manager(?) of KB. He was assigned to assist me by KB. This man lacks total compassion. After sending them umpteen pictures of the damage to my home which displaced me for a month and resulted in my hospitalization from the black mold found in the walls, they still refused to assist me.

Fast forward a few months in, after completing repairs to the initial area, my contractor noticed sagging over my garage in an area where the j-channel was also used by KB as some form of decoration. Well, last week, my contractor pulled apart that wall and found more extensive damage over the garage. This after my garage door caved in because of what we now know was rotten land beams. In essence, all of the land beams (every layer of the 6 used in the original construction) supporting the upper floors above the garage has rotted out. When this was discovered, I revisited my efforts to have KB assist with the repairs. After having me wait over a week, on the vise that he was going to speak to his superiors, Mr. ** told me in no uncertain terms that "our position has not change". In other words, give it up. We (KB) don't give a damn.

I have been patiently trying to deal with KB, yet, time and time again, this cold, callous company who gladly pocketed my money, refused to assist. Telling me that I should have seen what was going on in the walls. Even a professional contractor would not have anticipated that the house they had built would 12 years later fall apart around them. Not even a professional contract would have bionic vision to see damage forming inside the walls of their home, particularly when there was NO EVIDENCE on the interior walls that every time it rained, the J-Channel would collect water and shoot it over the top of the j-channel and behind the siding which ultimately rotted out walls that should have lasted the duration of the existence of the home. This is a crying shame. KB HOME will pocket your money and hang you out to dry afterwards.

In addition, my contractor after inspecting the roof, discovered substantial grit (hands full) from the roof shingles in the gutters on the roof, indicating that the roof is also deteriorating quickly and will also need immediate attention. So basically, I paid KB $250,000+ to build my home. Now 12 years later, I had to put a second mortgage on my home to cover damages for the repairs, and still had to find more money out of pocket to cover what is now upwards of $60,000 worth of damages to my home. If this were unique to just my home, it would be one thing. But several other homeowners in my community are plagued with the same issues. Water pouring through their windows when it rain, sagging beams across their garage door (which in and of itself pose serious risks to those entering/leaving the garage), black mold, mildew and rotted out exterior walls hidden behind the siding.

KB Home, YOU SUCK. The home I have grown to love is now the bane of my existence. Not to mention the numerous medical issues both my daughter and myself have suffered over the years resulting in numerous hospital visits and hospitalizations from what has been now revealed to me as the side effects of black mold exposure. Don't Buy KB Homes.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

It's my first home, so it was very exciting to select how my house will be in the inside and outside. Really want to say that the whole team as a one did a great job and that KB should feel proud of the people who actually make your company move forward, James, Jeremy, Mariel, Rosa and Linda, all of them were amazing people who helped me through the process and made this purchase possible and a pretty exciting one. Thank you all for the help.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We were told by a variety of people, that buying a home is a hard and long process. But for some reason we didn't find it that difficult. When we told friends and family about our house they were in shock and awe, because it seems like it happened so fast. Everything just kept moving along smoothly. We were even told, "Y'all make buying a house look easy." And my response was it's because of the KB people we were working with. Their communication and dedication is what kept the ball rolling.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Being a first time buyer my husband and I had a great and exciting experience. It was not overwhelming at all and we were properly carried along and every staff we worked with was helpful and we were satisfied. Thank You KB Homes and I already referred a sister and will refer more.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

From the initial person we spoke with that represented KB HOME (Sean **) to the last (Ken - Construction Supervisor), all encounters were amazing! The KB team as a whole made the process of purchasing our first home an unforgettable one! We are gladly and will continue to refer family and friends to KB! Keep up the great work!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

My KB Home experience has been great. We compared houses with other companies that were around the same price range and came to the conclusion that KB offered more for the price. The houses looked better as well. Next up, lakefront house!

KB Home expert review by Joseph Truini

KB Home offers customized homes and specializes in allowing buyers to control most aspects of the design process.​

• Built-to-order services: Users can specify exactly what they want their home to look like during the ordering process, right down to the cabinet door knobs.

• Available in many areas: Currently, KB Home builds homes in the District of Columbia and seven states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina and Texas.

• Personal design consultation demystifies the custom-build process: Consumers discuss their preferences and get pricing information to build a designer home that meets their budgetary requirements.

• Models can be seen on a walk-in basis: Prospective buyers can drop into the KB Design Studio nearest them to view options whenever it's convenient; an appointment is only needed when they are ready to buy.

• Home customization can be rolled into mortgages: Most of the building costs are covered by the buyer’s mortgage after purchase.

• Best for: KB Homes is best for people who are on a budget, but still want to customize their home; people with special needs and requirements, highly independent people and environmentalists.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

KB Home Company Information