4.2/5 (604 ratings)

About KB Home

Enjoy a new home uniquely built just for you. With KB, customers have the ability to personalize their new home with design options that fit their lifestyle and budget. Homebuyers also have a partner every step of the way.

Pros

• Online design studio
  • Variety of floor plans
  • Many communities in eight states
  • Personalizations available

Cons

• Charges HOA fees
  • Limited availability

Bottom Line

KB Home is a highly rated home builder that sells customizable homes in communities in eight states. It has a variety of floor plans and price points, and it provides an online design studio for more personalization.

Top KB Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KB Home?

Verified

We have had so much fun with this process. It is exciting to see it go up and see choices you have made come to life. Those who worked on our house overcame the pandemic and built...

Verified

KB Home builds an excellent home, delivers on time, and it is always and exceptional value! I've both lived in a KB Home and used for an investment property and in both use cases,...

What is KB Home?

KB Home is a home builder that offers innovative designs, personalized floor plans and flexible pricing on new homes. Its designers work with homebuyers in communities across Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, Texas and Washington.

You choose your floor plan, your community, the homesite and desired customizations, and KB Home takes care of the rest. Its homes are energy-efficient and designed to your specifications. Financing is available through a lending affiliate, and the company also works with standard mortgages.

KB Home floor plans

The first step to building a home with KB Home is exploring its online galleries, tours and floor plans to find the perfect home for you. KB Home's floor plans are available in a variety of sizes and configurations with flexible living spaces and from two to six bedrooms.

KB Home’s online design studio shows all the personalization options available, such as lighting, flooring and cabinets. Once you’re satisfied its portfolio is right for you, schedule a consultation with one of its designers to learn more about the building process, your options and pricing.

KB Home prices

New construction homes from KB Home typically cost between $180,000 and $500,000. Factors like the location, floorplan and customizations affect the total cost. Your KB Home designer will ensure you meet your homebuying budget, whether you’re looking for a starter home or a multimillion-dollar mansion.

KB Home prioritizes affordability, so there are many ways to save on costs during the building process, including some free personalizations and design options. Schedule a consultation for a customized quote. Its lending partner, KBHS Home Loans, offers financing for qualified home buyers.

KB Home FAQ

Does KB Home sell good homes?
KB Home is a reputable home builder with positive reviews from homebuyers. You can view pictures and virtual walkthroughs on its website for a better idea of the quality of homes offered.
Does KB Home have HOA fees?
KB Home sells houses in communities that typically have HOA fees. Ask during your initial consultation which fees are associated with the communities you’re interested in.
How much are KB Home upgrades?
Many KB Home upgrades are offered at no additional cost. However, for premium upgrades, you can work with a home designer to customize the home’s fixtures and features to your needs.
Who owns KB Home?
KB Home is a publicly traded company. As of 2020, Jeffrey T. Mezger is the CEO of the company.
Do KB Home houses come with appliances?
Yes, your home can be customized with specific appliances. The company typically offers Whirlpool appliances, but you can visit one of its design studios to learn more about available options.

Is KB Home a good builder?

KB Home is a legitimate, well-known home builder with a strong portfolio of customizable new homes. Its communities typically have homeowners associations that charge fees and may not be right for every homeowner. KB Home builds in communities across Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, Texas and Washington. Schedule a consultation for pricing and customization information.

KB Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KB Home?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

Mortgage is the best on the market even the stress amount that comes with buying new home, but I'm so thrilled with my interest rate. Jason was honest and helped me out a lot.. The warranty staff (Barry and his team) great service and they would do everything to help you. On the other hand, if KB monitored the home and check on the houses after every process during construction, they would not deal with a lot of issues. I can't believe lights in the ceiling are not measured rights.. They aren't aligned, showers install were not properly finished but the warranty staff helped to resolve that.

The granite and the quartz countertop material are not good. They used cracked counters and glued it, but they call that fissure (that's a big problem). I know the difference between what a fissure and what a crack is (someone trying to hide the mistake) and the finishes are not near good. I am sorry. You need to consider different installer for countertops. The kitchen design needs some improvement. When you use wall cabinets, at least use the fridge depth for consideration. Cabinets above the fridge should be deeper to make the flow in the kitchen better and make it more friendly user. I am sure there is more things to monitor but I know 100% that the staff at the warranty (Barry and his team) would get things done for me.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

When we first saw KB Homes Maurice was the first person that we had interacted with. He took us to our house and we had no idea we were going to buy that house. He ended up helping us through the process of getting our loan started and also was a good helping hand along the way. Our lender was not the greatest Jose **. He was always asking us for documents that we had already given him once or twice. And he was losing them. However Wilfredo came into the picture and he helped the scenario. He was very intuitive and always checking up on us.

If it was not for him or Maurice I am pretty sure we would not have gone through with having KB homes. Maurice was the one who walked us through our house and also Wilfred the maintenance guy walked us through our home as well and he had us tape everything that was wrong. After we close on our house Alex was the one walked us through our home as well and he had us tape everything that was wrong. After we close on our house Alex was the one who came over and Made sure that everything was working. And if it was not working he was calling the people who needed to fix it. Alex has been a great person and has helped us ever since we bought our home.

Original review: June 4, 2022

I have been a homeowner before but I have never purchased a "new home". The experience was quite intimidating for me but everyone that I worked with from sales to design center to construction to after I moved in, has been amazing. They helped keep this single mom feel secure in the decision that I made. I have friends that have bought from other builders and I have heard horror stories. It took 1 year and 10 days from contract to close, but that was based on market conditions, nothing KB Home could control. During that entire time Cheryl, Mark and Brady were so wonderful about keeping me informed every step of the way. The design center was also very overwhelming as I'm at home looking everything over trying to decide what I wanted, needed and could live without since I was on a budget.

My first meeting with Mallory was on a virtual call. Right there she took away 90% of the stress I was feeling. We listed what I wanted and I spent the next couple weeks prioritizing what was and was not a "have to have". I then met with Mallory at the design center. She took me through all the steps and never made me feel pressure to add anything that I did not feel was important. She gave great advice on coloring, what would and would not work together. I'm not an artistic person so her help was well received. In the walk thru there were minor things that needed to be resolved. Most have been corrected and a few are on "back order". But again, that is a result of our market place. I've now been in my home about 5 weeks and I cannot be happier. I feel like I'm at home.

Original review: May 27, 2022

KB Homes is amazing to build and buy with! They showed us a wide selection of options within and outside of our budget to see differences of course and what we do and don't want. While also making sure we stay within what we could do which was awesome. They showed us great examples digitally and in person of what you can do with all their home layouts. They go over the whole process from beginning to end as far as expectations and do's and do not's which were highly appreciated.

Considering that we were first time home buyers and weren't even considering building or buying until we came just to look at the model home site with a friend who had recently built a home with KB as well in the Jarrell community. We were nothing but impressed. Of course building supplies were high in demand so the process took a lot longer than expected at certain points, but getting the freedom to choose every single aspect and setup of the house from their thorough layouts was to say the least my favorite thing about building with them. I especially loved that we could drive out to the home site often to check the process while also receiving frequent photo and detailed updates from our sales agent. We highly recommend and we are 1000% satisfied with our new home! Thank you KB!

Original review: May 12, 2022

We are so pleased with our KB HOME and the stellar staff that walked us through every step to home ownership. The Sales team was so nice and accommodating, letting us look at the model home multiple times. When we made the decision to purchase, we did have to wait for lots to open up however we received frequent check-in even if there was no update, just to let us know we were not forgotten. When there was a lot available, Lee was very kind and professional, walking us through every detail and answering every question. When we moved to being introduced to our Mortgage Loan team, they too were great communicators in the process, again providing us great information and answering our questions. The Design Center was a great experience.

Prior to our first meeting with Melissa from the Design Center we received an email that provided us with worksheets to prepare for our meeting. That prep info was so helpful because we were able to take our time in reviewing products and pricing, weighing the option that meant the most to us, all at our own pace. This meant that when it came time for our virtual meeting, we know for the most part exactly what we wanted, and we had questions ready to go for Melissa in order to make some final decisions. Then, being able to meet Melissa in person and view our selections in person was super helpful. We definitely made some adjustments and felt so good our choices. During the construction process we were just surrounded by a great team.

Lee our sales counselor gave us updates and picture via email all the time. Dave our construction manager would send updates on new things that were coming up to be complete and then letting us know when they were completed. We also really appreciated being informed when something was running behind due to supply chain issues and really appreciated Dave being patient with our questions. And then our loan team Raul and Colby, great communicators, so patient with our questions and providing us time to get things collected and submitted. The stellar service continues as we are matched with a great customer service rep Kat, she was with us on our finally walk-thru. She has checked with us during our first few weeks and will be coming back from another walk-thru to ensure our satisfaction. We are so happy with our home and the Team of professionals that made it possible to be in our home. Thank you KB!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

KB Home's motto is "Built on Relationships", they do not live up to it. In the beginning, they are professional & pretend to have your best interest in mind. Once you go under contract & go through the process it's far from true. I went under contract with KB Homes, about a year before my home would be ready to move in. I got to pick the design features and everything. The house was expensive for its size & the interest rates were skyrocketing. I could no longer afford the the home & I also got a new job with far/long commute from the home. Even though, I was given the option to lock my rate, their lender suggested not to. I ended up terminating my contract, but the contract I signed said I could only get back my deposit back if the lot had changed.

When it did, after I requested the details multiple times, that email was sent out weeks later when I wasn't expecting it. I was actually in the field for my Annual Training(AT), which I mentioned to them & it seemed they used it to their advantage. There was about a week for me to terminate & get my deposit which I missed because of my AT. I have since been in contact with the agent (& customer service representative) who has promised that I would get the opportunity to speak with his manager about discussing a possible partial or full refund. It has literally almost been six months since I was promised a call from their onsite manager. I understand that I signed a contact, however since I was no longer able to afford the home I should have been refunded my deposit.

Their preferred lender said I still qualified, which even if I did, I would be struggling. Which I have explained to KB home my situation & have emailed them multiple times basically begging for a refund & they can't even call me like they promised. They also keep sending me daily reminders to sign a cancellation form & when I told them to stop they said it was automated. I told them I would not be signing anything until I spoke to their manager. So, maybe turn off the automation?

For some context, I am a US Service member who has served his country for over 12 years in the Active Duty Army & National Guard. I have a full-time job, part-time student, & a single father. I am barely getting by & when the housing market conditions got worse over the course of 2022 the smart option was to terminate my contract. Not a very good "relationship" if you ask me.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

My experience with KB Home varies from excellent to average. To start with, the homes at Williams Pointe are customizable according to your taste and we had a good experience at the design studio to choose the options we would like to have. The design studio representative was accommodating and patient in answering all our questions and helped us in selecting the upgrades. The sales people were responsive initially and I was able to call them or go to the office anytime to ask questions. I have a great experience with the construction manager, Steve. Always responsive and helped above and beyond with any issues we had. The closing could be handled better as there is little communication from sales. Again Steve helped me out here. Overall, a great experience.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

Overall, Nice and professional sale person that makes the purchasing moving up, nice plant and construction, good customer service. No big issues, but some small problems are hard to avoid if looking for the 0 issue is hard.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

It was really outstanding, sales agent Darla, construction manager Sean and loan officer Chad helped me a lot for the home buying process. Darla and Sean updated me every step once a week and they answered my call at any time as if they are in vacation, too. So I really appreciate them for their roles in the company. And it would be remarkable if they give continuity for it.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

The KB experience was an easy process from start to finish. I realize that product shortfalls and deliveries were an issue nationwide. The sales staff were knowledgeable about their product. The delivery date was always a concern, but KB came through with flying colors. Issues with the order of progress on which homes were started and completed is unknown to me but there must be some rhyme or reason to the process. Overall, I would highly recommend KB to friends and family and even strangers.

KB Home Company Information