3.7/5 (586 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About International Van Lines

International Van Lines, also known as IVL, operates throughout the entire continental U.S. and services all kinds of destinations worldwide. It offers long-distance, international and local moving services. It also provides free quotes and sets up customers with relocation coordinators who can help plan their moves.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

International Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: June 27, 2022

Relocating is going to be difficult, and that's something I expect. On the other side, this company alleviated a lot of the stress of our move! Moving a house is what brought International Van Lines into the picture recently. Cameron, our consultant, was a pleasure to deal with. Great job, packers and movers. This group not only packed fast and effectively, but they also answered every request with a simple "no problem." We received our items the very following day thanks to them! First time in my life that I actually enjoyed a move! And to top it all off, I got a better deal than I expected on the purchase. We'll definitely use them again if we ever have to move again.

Original review: June 27, 2022

Horrible moving experience. Was not interested in a in-person or virtual quote. Gave them inventory from competitor and they gave me cheaper estimate then proceeded to sub contract to shady movers who over charge for everything. Saying IVL made bad estimate. Threated to leave when i had to move out that day. Did not send movers and packer until day before and proceed to charged me 7k$ more then quote. Did not pick up phone during move. Wanted money "cash" only up front. Broke things never followed up. Improperly packed. Lost parts to tables and beds. Damaged home with or regard. Worst company ever. Do not use these criminals. Wish someone would have warned me. Don't use them. Better off with other options. Would give negative 10 if possible. Not even 1 star.

Original review: June 22, 2022

Henry and International Van Lines were wonderful to work with, from the initial scheduling and estimating meeting to coordinating the move, payment, and delivery. They were professional, kind, and able to thoughtfully and thoroughly answer my questions and address my concerns. Henry was professional and managed the process well. Alexander, my driver, and his crew took extra care to protect the flooring and my items while packing and unloading. I also appreciate that Henry was able to schedule delivery within four days of loading. It minimized the time I had to spend in a hotel and prevented me from taking an extra day off of work.

Original review: June 20, 2022

Fantastic service from start to finish! Extremely hardworking, efficient, and experienced. Not even a small item was damaged in a relatively large move. Best pricing around. I could not recommend them enough!

Original review: June 17, 2022

They did a great job. Very quick and efficient. With any move, we were expecting things to be broken or damaged. This was not the case with these guys. I damaged more items by moving a few boxes compared to these hardworking guys. This is the second time using International Van Lines for a move, and I'll likely use them for my next one. Thanks again, gentlemen!

Original review: June 15, 2022

They arrived 15 minutes before my scheduled move time. They got my belongings packed safely and into their truck quickly. What impressed me was their efficiency and "can do" attitude when we learned that the elevator in my new building was out of service. With a smile, they hauled ten or so boxes, an oversized recliner, a TV table, and a mattress to my new fourth-floor unit and still kept the total move time to 1.5 hours. Having never used a mover before and feeling awful about promising an elevator in my new building, I hope my tip was adequate! I will do everything to use these guys again and spread the word about this excellent service I received.

Original review: June 13, 2022

Thank you, John! is working on moving our museum artifacts from the TX to a warehouse downtown. He has diligently and carefully operated the forklift all day to move these artifacts. Ideally, he appears to be following all of the forklift operating procedures, including signalling as he enters doorways and makes turns.

Original review: June 13, 2022

International Van Lines overcharges the customers. They would give you a low ball you, and hire a company that would charge you $1000 more than you should pay for the move. I have noticed on the paperwork had to be corrected a couple of times in order to figure out how much I would be paying. The company that International Van Lines hired were not really professional. The Company was called Wayfair. The movers were okay but they broke some of my furniture. The lead guys for the pickup and delivery were nice but tried to charge me more money!!! I will never use International Van Lines again for the move.

Original review: June 11, 2022

If you want to move, look no further, this company just moved my apartment in under two hours. When the crew showed up, they immediately walked in, picked up some pieces, and started loading! They made this move soo easy,

Original review: May 26, 2022

100% of everything was passed off to Cosmos Van Lines (we did not hire Cosmos, we hired IVL). Worst experience in our life. No one from IVL's has reached out to see how the move went as it is still happening after 56 days… Now we are left with a mess dealing with someone we did not hire to try to fix extensive missing and damaged items. We cannot get customer service to respond. International Van Lines is MIA.

We would like to share our experience with CEO of International Van Lines Josh Morales. Per his bio on the website, “I’m always open to speaking with customers regarding any issue and will always do my best to fix the problem.” While that sounds reassuring on the website, good luck finding an email to request assistance or getting customer service to respond to multiple inquiries. Josh, if you are out there and listening, please contact us! We are still sleeping on the floor. You need to understand what is going on at ground level. There are other concerns I would like to share with Josh Morales outside of a public post as to what your customers are faced with using IVL. Josh….Please call us!

Original review: April 30, 2022

I obtained what I later realized was just an estimate from this company using an exact list of items and sizes. My quote was subcontracted to A to Z moving from Nevada. On moving day they wanted $2000 more than the written original quote for the same items I had carefully detailed to International Van Lines. I had to downsize the items on moving day. On arrival, multiple items were severely damaged including a small antique desk and dresser which the movers were supposed to make safe for the move. It appears the items were dropped and are unrepairable.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I highly recommend this moving service! The movers are very professional and pleasant! I was very impressed that the movers wrapped my TV with some soft stuff to avoid the collision. Also, the movers were pretty fast. I live by myself and have a lot of things to move, but they said that was not much for them to move at all. They finished the move within 2 hours. If I had to move by myself, it probably would take me more than a day. Great service!

Original review: April 22, 2022

My experience with International Van Lines has been nothing short of terrible. I leave this review a month after my belongings were picked up, only to find that they are still sitting in a warehouse at the origin. IVL is a broker who pawned me off to a third party, without disclosing that information to me. In fact I only learned who my actual movers were when they called asking for a cash payment at pickup less than 24 hours before they came to collect my belongings. Since then, I have called IVL on a weekly basis, only to be told each time that they are “working on a schedule,” and to call back. My most recent call was the most infuriating as the rep was unapologetic and unhelpful. I am starting to wonder if I will ever receive my belongings. The reviews for IVL are highly inflated. For the sake of your sanity, and if you ever want to see your belongings again, please go to a different moving company.

Original review: April 20, 2022

I received a quote from International Van Lines for a move from AZ to VA. Included in the quote was moving my golf cart. On moving day, a company they subcontracted to showed up and stated they would have to charge another $2000 for the golf cart. Then when we received our furniture, there were multiple broken items that had obviously been dropped. Would never use this company again.

Original review: April 4, 2022

Worst moving experience! We asked for a packing service besides moving the items, when we called the company and listed all the details of our items the estimate was that our stuff is less than their minimum so they said they will charge us the minimum amount which was $4200. We didn't have ANY furniture. We just had a couple of wardrobes, kitchen stuff, and a Bowflex Max Trainer (expensive workout equipment), one full-size bed.

On the day of packing the movers charged us $800 more and they didn't take the bed because they said it'll cost $200 more to take that!!! After 21 days our stuff arrived and we realized two of my handbags are missing (a Kate Spade and a Michael Kors). The workout equipment charger is smashed!! One of my shoes has only one pair now! So basically the movers just charged us 5k to lose and destroy our stuff!

Original review: March 25, 2022

I cannot underscore how shady this company is. My delivery was late, I have thousands of dollars in damaged property and too many things 'missing' to mention. I strongly recommend never using this company. It is shocking how terrible this experience was.

Original review: March 17, 2022

I am shocked at the level of incompetence shown by this company. I went with them for my move from Chicago to NYC because they are highly rated online (by sites like Forbes). And they were the most expensive so I figured they must know what they are doing. WRONG. Maybe they are fine for a residential move involving going from one suburb to another. Who knows. I can tell you they are awful when it comes to moving to and from a big city. And I understand a big city move is a different kind of beast - but I specifically asked them about their experience with big city moves when making my decision about who to hire and I was told they do it every day and have tons of experience. So that, in combination with their overall positive reviews, made me go with them.

My experience from the get-go was awful. First I told them they needed to get a parking permit for Chicago. This comes from the city and would block the parking in front of my house on the day of the move so that no one can park there minus my movers or you could get towed. They told me the customer is responsible for that. Nope. Not in Chicago. You are not allowed to request that kind of no parking permit as a regular resident - the moving company has to do it. It’s clear on the City’s website and I even called to check (and confirmed IVL had an account already with the city making this process even more easy).

I told them that and then it was like - oh yeah, we reached out to our person and Chicago and you’re right. So they said they would handle it. 1 day before the move I get a call that the movers were coming the next day. “Where’s the parking permit?” I ask. After some back and forth they tell me they thought I was getting it and there had been a misunderstanding. WTF?! Luckily, I live on a pretty wide 1-way street in the city and I asked my neighbors if they would mind moving their cars for my movers. If I hadn’t had this particular situation, it could have been a nightmare. As you can see, things aren’t going well and we haven’t even made it out of Chicago.

Fast forward to 3 months later when I am ready to have my items delivered to me in NYC. I live in a midrise building in NYC. I was told I needed a certificate of insurance from the movers (a very, very common request). I told IVL about this a month in advance of the delivery. Considering how badly they mucked up the pick up I figured the more time I give them, the better. Here is how that whole process went:

1) 1 month before first possible delivery date- I tell them I need a COI and provide the requirements (and that my building doesn’t allow weekend moves). I am told they noted both requirements.
    2) 1 week before - I ask them for an update on the COI since I have heard nothing. They ask me to send them the requirements again.
    3) a few days before - I ask again. Nothing. I then get an email updating me my delivery is on the way. I tell them over the phone and email I need the COI or no delivery can happen.

4) day before - mover calls me and tells me he can deliver as soon as Saturday. Remember that other requirement???? No weekend delivery. Guess no one told him. I tell him and I tell him I have no COI so we cannot schedule the delivery yet.

I know this is a godawful long review so I’ll try to wrap it up now. I literally asked for a COI at least 5x from different people. They literally kept asking me to send them the requirements as if they had never heard of it before. Not kidding. I was calling and emailing constantly over a 24-48 hour timeframe as I was driving to NYC. I had to take on the job of coordinating with the delivery guy because no one was doing their job. I finally got that COI at 5:30pm on a Friday night. I had to beg my building manager to review it over the weekend so that the mover could come on Monday. Oh and there were all kinds of extra charges that the delivery guy charged me that was never mentioned up front when I signed my contract.

It all ended up kind of okay in that I got my stuff and it was generally in okay shape. But the move only happened because I did their job for them. I paid them to coordinate this move and I did all the coordination. They are seriously the biggest bunch of incompetent people I’ve ever dealt with. And no one ever followed up to ask me how the move went, if the COI was ironed out, how my experience was, etc. I think it’s pretty obvious why this company doesn’t ask for reviews.

Moving is one of the most stressful things you can do. They made it 100x more stressful. I would never recommend this company to anyone - unless you enjoy stress, wasting your time saying the same thing over and over again to a brick wall, and calling and checking your email every 10 minutes praying someone will do their job and help you.

Original review: March 14, 2022

Moved furniture and miscellaneous items from our home to our daughter in Texas. Upon arrival we noticed that oak furniture was broken and handle bars on bike was broken, which would require a fair amount of force and poor packing in order to damage items to this extent. We immediately contacted the company and reported the damage and have reported it several times, but have not had any reimbursement or offer of repair of damage. IVL was the most expensive estimate, but we decided to go with them, due to the supposed good ratings; however, it appears that our "budge" movers that we used on our last move, would have been a better deal, since it was much less and there was no damage, despite being all the way to Hawaii, versus this move was only to Texas. I would not recommend IVL based on my experience of being the highest estimate and the least responsive to damages from their poor packing.

Original review: March 8, 2022

This was the worst moving experience, I ended up having to rent a Uhaul and take an additional 4 days off work to complete my move despite paying them a lot of money and having a contract. To start with the company is just a middleman, they contract out with smaller movers to do the work. The mover they contracted with for my move had different rates and policies than what I had agreed to and tried to bully me into agreeing to them. Never once in the process of getting a quote from IVL did they tell me they contracted with other companies or talk to me about overage potential and what would happen.

I itemized every piece of furniture and item I had in my house and it was on their contracted inventory. Yet the day of the move the mover would not take my items claiming there was no space despite them being on the inventory. They tried to force me sign an agreement to pay more to move items I had told them about. The company is trying to claim that that my items are oversized and trust me when I say they are not. They did not pack an entire room of my home despite paying for packing service. After the truck was loaded, I could not get any response on my inquiry for a delivery update for over a week and a half and then I was given less than 24h notice prior to the delivery.

The moving company they outsourced to was rude and unprofessional. Their cost was the highest bid I received but because they could confirm a pickup date I went with them. Stupidly I thought I was also paying for quality service but I was so badly mistaken. I filed a complaint and they have completely ignored all the information I gave them and dismissed me. I am fortunate that I had options and wasn't stuck being forced to pay an extra $5000 the day of the move. This company will lie to you and try to extort money from you the day of the move. Do not hire them. It is not worth it, you are better off selling everything you own and starting over.

Original review: March 5, 2022

We contracted with IVL to move our household goods from CA to TX in August 2021. They brokered the moving service to Y & O Moving Consulting Services based out of Hollywood, FL. Our goods finally arrived at the end of September with numerous damaged items. Much of the damage would not have happened if the company actually took care to pack things well.

We attempted to submit a claim for damaged goods, however, IVL's claim system never showed that we sent our claim in even after receiving an "Acknowledgment Email". The customer service representative's only response was the acknowledgment email " must have been a glitch". The claim system is somewhat cumbersome to begin with, then to receive a response like that, made the whole experience even worse.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

Do yourself a favor and find other movers. After they had about 3k of my money for a deposit all customer service became dismissive and patronizing. What happened to me has happened to several others from this company. They wait until your cancellation window has passed to tell you that your move will be delayed and sub contracted to movers with horrible reputations, and expect you to just follow through with it since it’s too late to be refunded or find new movers.

When you are first signing that contract the salesperson does not once mention the potential for outsourcing and downplays the possibility of a delay, saying the secondary date is just in case but not likely to happen. They have the audacity to move your date out, but that does not apply to your cancellation window. You can only cancel 48 hours before first move date you wanted, not what they push you to.

Based on what I’ve seen get out as soon as you can, take some time to really do some research and read some verified reviews on Consumer Affairs and the Better Business Bureau. CANCEL their services the second you think something is off and get your money back. I am discussing course of action with a business lawyer about a Deceptive Business Practice claim, anyone that has had a similar experience should as well.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I would give negative stars if I could. Alex ** was the salesman who sold me on using International Van Lines to move across the country. It was not a thorough review of my items, thus, the final price was thousands more than the quoted price. Int'l Van Lines then sold my move to Safeway Moving Co. The movers who showed up were unprofessional in the way they handled my items, and arrived in a box truck stacking my fragile boxes with all others. Safeway asked me to pay via wire prior to me receiving my goods. I refused. Once another box truck arrived instead of a long-haul truck suitable for moving household goods, I saw the extensive damage done to my household belongings.

Surfboard had holes, cracked tip. Armoire had a massive chunk removed from the wood facing. An original oil painting had slashes through it as if a forklift had punctured the canvas. Unique, one of a kind furniture was ruined, missing legs, wood grain damaged. Boxes were smashed, gaping holes, boxes missing. I was in shock, the people unloading the truck were in shock, and I when I called the moving company, nobody would take my call. Daisja ** was my contact at Int'l Van Lines, she was rude, made promises she never kept, and was actually belligerent at the end of our dealings. Jen was my contact at Safeway, she just simply wouldn't respond to me. Not a single person apologized. And after waiting for almost four months on my $23K claim, they've offered $292. I have over 100 pictures and witness statements to back this review.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY under any circumstances! Read the reviews on Yelp and you'll see how this company really operates vs. the fake accolades on their website and phony 5 star reviews. Horrendously bad customer service, as soon as you sign the contracts that leave you powerless and pay the deposit you're in trouble. They seem to purposely underestimate move costs and when they hire out contractors the price is increased dramatically, for me about a 30% increase.

They do not operate with honesty or integrity and couldn't care less about when or if you receive your items that you pay them a lot of money to move. The worst experience I've ever had as a customer of any company, including used car dealerships. AVOID THEM! Thousands of terrible reviews are the only proof you need, check the BBB website in Coral Gables FL. for more facts about this company and the experience you will have if you fall for their fake accolades like I did.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!! They literally hired temp workers from the local Home Depot to unload all of my belongings while the driver just sat in the truck. Had over $5k in damages from this completely inexperienced "crew". They just dumped things inside the front door. Didn't reassemble any of the furniture that they disassembled. Their customer service is as bad as their service. They claimed that even though this violated their own policies, they sympathized with the driver and could not prove any of my allegations. Don't pay thousands of dollars just to have some guy looking for a landscaping job handle your family's valuables!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

They are just brokers. They contract unverified movers who destroy every single piece of furniture you own. Every bit of my furniture was absolutely destroyed. Chunks of wood, huge dents and massive scratches. One chair is missing all 4 legs! Lamps completely bent and broken. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

After moving several times on my own. Renting a U-Haul and doing it myself this last time (Dec 2021) I decided to trust an actual moving company. I chose IVL due to their ratings which was a HUGE mistake. They damaged a new dresser and new chest....they damaged my daughter's baby crib that I have had now for 36 years to pass down to my grandbabies...they also lost (stole) a toolbox w/ tools in it that belonged to my father who had passed away in 2019 from Alzheimer's so, needless to say, the crib and toolbox can't even be replaced. After receiving my things and when the men left so I could start unpacking is when I realized the damages. When they unpacked neither of the two that drove my things up from FL to VA mentioned any of it. The whole time they were unloading the truck I continued to inquire about the toolbox since they had already unloaded a second one I had.

In short, I reached out to my 2 account managers that were in charge of my move and after 2 emails to each of them as well as leaving 2 voicemails for each of them...neither would reply to my emails or give me a callback. I continued to reach out to anyone I could eventually receiving an email from the claims department once I reported the incident with BBB, however, of all the damages and missing item they state I am only entitled to $168!!! Are they kidding?!?! Nope, they aren't. I even provided photos of the 2 guys that were packing and loading my things. The one guy which was to be documenting and tagging all item was Facetiming with his family the whole time while the other guy was off in another room packing and loading the truck prior to anything being tagged. Trying to confirm items being delivered was impossible. Nothing matched on the checkoff list.

I finally reached out to a law firm but what it will cost me to hire an attorney outweighs the loss and, of course, does not come with any guarantees. It's terrible how they work. Unprofessional, rude, and don't appreciate their customers. It's, unfortunately, ONLY about the money. And those that work with IVL must have no heart of conscience since they reject claims just because that's their job. Lesson learned....ratings mean nothing! I will continue to move my things on my own!

IVL or any other moving company are not to be trusted. They will not take any responsible for damages or loss item and, per the law firm, there are so many lawsuits against moving companies that they simply don't even care. Most will even ignore letters sent by attorneys. I've been offered $400 to close my complaint due to the claim process could take 30-90 days. I've agreed to this so I can put this all behind me but now I can't even get them to provide me the release to close end this so I can move one. THINK TWICE...about hiring any professional moving company. If you are able and capable to do it yourself that is what you need to consider.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

This company is highly recommended. The workers are very professional. The staff of the team is kind and pleasant. With every info, they keep me posted. I would love to book them again. I highly recommend it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

International Van Lines severely damaged my couch, coffee table, piano, desk, dresser, bed and several other pieces of furniture. They ALSO scratched and gashed my floors and walls during the move to my new house by dragging heavy objects across the floor (rather than picking them up) and also banging my furniture into my newly painted walls, which left many scuffs, marks, and dings. I had the damage assessed by a repair company and they said it would cost $2,100 to address all of the property damage caused directly from International Van Lines. They refused to pay this amount despite the pictures I submitted as evidence for the claim. I am currently working with insurance to handle the rest of the claim for every damaged object... and the list is extensive.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Reading through other 1 star ratings, I see common experiences to ours. We've moved multiple times over a 40 year career, all have been corporate moves. Our "final" move from Kentucky to Kansas was to be paid by us, so like others, I did what I thought was due diligence, checked reviews, and had multiple bids. Selected IVL because they "were lower than others and promised our stuff would be stored in temperature controlled warehouses".

Packing day arrives - truck driver in a regular moving truck (not the semi I expected), and 3 "professional" packers that had absolutely no idea what they were doing. Turns out, they packed everything, including many food items on the "prohibited list" (that was quite a ripe box to open after 3 months of storage in the humid and hot south). About 3/4 into the day, the drivers tells me "we need a bigger truck" (duh) and they proceed to move stuff to a local warehouse (where I suspect it was also stored for us) vs. the "temperature controlled" warehouse I thought I was getting. Anyway, all packed up and we head to our final destination to look for a new house. I enquire about the amount of packing we did vs. our "professional" packers and what kind of cost deduction I could see...crickets. Turns out ALL of the items we self packed arrived with no issues, not so for the stuff packed by our "professionals".

Once we found a new house and I communicated our closing date, I got bounced between IVL and our "contracted" company (Cosmos Transport). Not hearing a delivery date, I enquired once again and got a "WE'LL NOTIFY YOU WHEN WE ARE READY" email, yes, all caps. Delivery day, truck shows as planned and again, "professional" helpers that had no clue about moving stuff into a house. Then the fun begins - broken dining room chair, chipped china cabinet, gouges in the wall, etc. Start to unpack stuff and find what I call the "box o pots", all pots and pans, no paper, just thrown in. Discover that an entire dishpack with wife's cooking stuff (mixing bowls, rolling pins, mixer, etc) is missing - we are convinced that in the process of moving in/out of storage the box broke open and they said "** it" and left the stuff there.

I had purchased moving insurance from Baker and we reached a reasonable settlement on the damages. I realized in the very, very fine print that IVL does show they are a broker. Not really sure where the 4 and 5 star reviews are coming from, but it's obviously not from anyone that had their move "brokered out".

Final thought - use the name brands that use only their own people and vehicles, I wish I had. If you are considering IVL - run, very fast

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

This company is a complete SCAM. Hired them to move my household goods from NJ to Indiana. They were supposed to be a local company. The first hint of a scam was when they said they did send a representative to our home to visually look at what we were moving and provide an estimate based upon this. We provided the representative with a list of everything we intended on moving. The second hint of a scam was the moving truck didn't arrive on the promised day. Confirmation of this being a scam was when the truck showed up, it was a 26' Enterprise Rental Truck that already had the property of 2 other customers loaded. Needless to say, they could not load all of our property on the truck.

Our repeated calls to International Van Lines went unanswered. I later found out that this is the practice of International Van Lines. After their "sub-contracted" movers begin the loading process, they flag the customers' phone numbers and will not answer the customer tries to call. They sub-contract all of their work. All of their sub-contractors drive 26' rental trucks because the driver does not have to have a CDL (Commercial Drivers License). They are a Florida-based company (only). They do not have any offices or moving facilities other than the one that is Florida-based. As far as I have been able to determine, International Van Lines does not own ONE truck.

In short, I ended up paying much more than originally quoted and part of my property was left in New Jersey. Thank GOD I work for the US DOD. This move was work-related and I have been assigned an attorney based in Florida. We have finished our homework on this SHAM company and will be filing my lawsuit in the next three weeks. They have SCAMMED many people and it is my intent to SHUT THIS CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE DOWN.

International Van Lines Company Information