Home Depot Windows & Doors

Find Windows and Doors partners near you

About Home Depot Windows & Doors

Find Windows and Doors partners near you

Home Depot Windows & Doors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot Windows & Doors?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

My wife and I hired Home Depot to replace our windows and doors in the back of the house with hurricane-impact windows and doors on October 2020. When the Home Depot salesman came to talk to us about their product, I asked him two questions, was Home Depot using their own employees and was the job going to be finished by December of 2020. His answer was yes to both questions. It wasn't until January 14, 2021, that we received an email from Home Depot informing us that they were ready for the installation, lie number one.

When the installers arrived at our house we realized they were not Home Depot employees but subcontractors, lie number two. A contract amendment was made via email on November 10, 2020, that required all the French Doors to open on the left side. Out of the three sets of French Doors, the one in our bedroom opens on the right side. It has taken almost two years for this small project to be completed, some of the problems we encountered were poor workmanship on the part of the subcontractors that came to our house and other problems have been the incompetence showed by the real Home Depot employees that handled the order of the parts needed for our house.

The installers installed the wrong French Door in our living room, damaged the edges of the two windows in the kitchen and the master bedroom. Every time they had to reorder these parts it would take another four months to come in. Every time the installers had to come back to fix something that was done incorrectly my wife and I would take time off from work to be at the house. The above-mentioned two windows by the master bedroom were ordered twice by Home Depot. The first time they had ordered the wrong windows, the second time the windows arrived with some damaged. We would find out once the installers would get to our house and determine that there was a problem. Why wasn't this checked at the warehouse before they brought the windows in? Hence the reason I mentioned incompetence. Out of frustration I contacted Home Depot and requested not to replace the master bedroom windows and instead give us a credit.

Finally, almost two years later Home Depot called the county for a final inspection. When the inspector came in he noticed that one of the kitchen windows was missing the sticker required by the county for insurance purposes and he failed the final inspection. Home Depot hired a paper runner and he showed up with a sticker. Once again an inspector was scheduled for the final inspection and once again it was denied because the sticker the runner had placed on our window had nothing to do with our windows. The runner came back, installed another sticker and the third inspection passed.

We requested that Home Depot replace the French Doors in our bedroom to match the rest of the French Doors per our agreement or give us a credit for their mistake and also give us a credit for the two windows in the master bedroom that were never replaced. Home Depot is not willing to take care of us the customer.

Based on our experience, no one in our family or friends will hire Home Depot anymore.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

We first signed the papers to purchase our impact windows in October of 2021. It is now November of 2022 and the job remains unfinished. The installation did not take place until April but we were willing to wait because we knew there were many delays due to supply chain issues. However, on the day(s) of the install, the installation team not only shattered one of our old windows and did a shoddy job cleaning up (leaving pieces of glass on our floor when we have a dog, a baby and a toddler in the house), but also left dirty handprints on a window that was so high up it needed a scaffold to be installed (so obviously cannot be cleaned by anyone else now). They also did not have 3 of the screens needed.

After 4 months, no one had called about scheduling an inspection. I had called, emailed, etc numerous times and FINALLY got them to schedule someone to come out for the inspection. At the inspection it was noted that the stickers they left on the windows were on the OUTSIDE instead of the inside, and therefore could not be removed. When you open the windows, the stickers become covered and cannot be removed, so you'd need a 2 story ladder to do it. So 7 months after installation, we still have stickers covering portions of our windows.

We still do not have the missing screens, as when they finally sent someone out to build them, he was sent with screens that were too small. He also showed up unannounced (home depot was supposed to call to schedule, they never did). He also did not have the screw caps he was supposed to have to fill in the holes in our door they installed. He also did not have a ladder to use to take off the stickers. So that was all in all useless. It's now been another few weeks and no one answers my emails or calls. I haven't written a review until now because I keep wanting to give them time to fix this but I've had enough. I still have to pay my bill every month, and yet here we are...

Get buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

On 4/13/21 an HD sales rep came to our house, took measurements for 6 impact windows and 1 set of impact patio doors. We paid in full that day. We were told all items would be installed on 7/12/21. On 7/15/21 the installers could not install the living room window (lost), the master bedroom window (cracked), the master bathroom window (too big), the patio doors (wrong swing). Only three bedroom windows were installed, leaving the project not even half done. After the failed install, we heard nothing from anybody at Home Depot. We called the Home Depot and were told it was the problem of the 3rd party installers and there was nothing they could do.

We were finally able to arrange a 3rd measure to confirm all the measurements were correct and the swing of the door correct before the order was sent out. After 4 months without any calls from Home Depot, we called to confirm the information on the 3rd measure, only to be told (8 months after the initial contract signing) that the patio doors could not be produced. At that point we were handed off to an HDIS Sales Manager, and we agreed to a refund for the canceled patio doors. This was 1/6/22. However, a refund check was never sent.

The installation coordinator kept telling us that they were waiting on installers. It wasn't until 7/11/22 when we left a voicemail pointing out the ridiculous treatment of our project, that we finally heard back from anyone. And surprise, on 7/14/22 they came out and put the living room window in. Then on 7/18/22 they put the master bedroom and bathroom windows in. That they were able to come out immediately tells us they could have installed these windows much sooner than they did. The master bathroom window is missing the screen. The installers destroyed all of the drywall on the inside window frames. They finished the last two windows using clear caulking instead of white which would have matched the other 4 windows installed by Home Depot.

On 8/25/22, Home Depot tried to make us sign a non-disclosure agreement in order to receive our money back from the door that we paid for and they did not deliver. We went through Home Depot because we thought being a well-established business, we would not have a lot of hassle if something went wrong. BOY, WERE WE WRONG!!! RUN RUN RUN away from the Home Depot and anything to do with installation! Our windows are an absolute mess and we have not been compensated for the 1 ½ year nightmare they have put us through.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

THE HOME DEPOT -- Window replacements are junk. I have had zero luck with the window replacements Home Depot sells. The sashes were defective after only 2 years, losing their seals. When getting replacement sashes for the replacement windows they finally came after 10 weeks defective (bent/warped sash frames, and not properly sized) from the factory so another re-order. Taking 8 to 10 weeks to re-order the 3rd set. COVID is not the issue, it is the defective sashes being manufactured then installed by gosh who knows who that HD has hired.

The regional manager has lied to us numerous times saying he wants to come and take a look at the problem, then is a no show or call back with explanation as to why he didn't even show up!! I suggest going with a local company in your area that can give you a quicker turnaround time than the huge box-store HD and hopefully won't lie to you. Customer Service reps are good people but caught in the middle as always with companies like this. Will update on 3rd set of sashes when they arrive!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

I and many others have been duped by Home Depot and by PlyGem windows into believing that the windows purchased at Home Depot are covered by a reliable warranty. PlyGem ignores warranty requests submitted to them. Home Depot ignores complaints made about the PlyGem windows they sell. Consumer Affairs refuses to publish my review of the problem despite the fact that my statements were all truthful. I can't help but believe that Consumer Affairs protects the businesses that they represent. A true marriage of convenience between a manufacturer of inferior products and a business that supposedly represents the best interests of the customers who are fooled into believing the warranty on these products.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

My home was a total mess when I purchased Andersen windows from Home Depot. We spent $18000.00 on 4 French doors & 9 windows. Most of the windows leaked, all the French doors leaked. Their installer came by really did nothing, on his last trip to my home he handed me 4 tubes of silicone!!! I was on my own! I reached out to Andersen many many times. They told me they would send their best inspector. We live on the bay and that’s the excuse the inspector used for all my damage. He put in his report the damage was from super storm Sandy!!!! We were very lucky with that storm, and only has many 1/4” of water in the bedroom facing the bay.

My house is two storeys. 3 of the French doors are upstairs with 7 windows. If the water rose that high the house would be gone. With those lies from their inspector they told me they would do nothing. I heard & read many reviews having the same problems! That’s why they came up with Renewal By Andersen & have their own professional installers now and end of their complaints. With all that said I’m a landlord & I used Home Depot for all my properties. Never bought from them again & I have nothing good to say about Andersen!!!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

I purchased a door in 2018. They neglected to tell me I couldn't use a security door in front of it so it warped and peeled. So, in January of this year (2022) I revisited Home Depot and asked if they would assist me in getting a new door. Of course, they said yes. Long story short they delivered the door, put it in and it was damaged. They didn't know the door was damaged until they installed the new door. It is now August and I still don't have the replacement. They sent a guy out that had alcohol on his breath covered with Halls Cough drops.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I bought my blinds and windows and haven't received anything but headaches. I bought my windows, and the person who installed the window in my office made a hole in my drywall. A couple of weeks later, the same window started to leak. I called someone to check the window leak, and the guy made the hole bigger. I have contacted Home Depot multiple times, and nothing gets resolved. They keep saying that a report has been filed and they are waiting to be "processed." I am very disappointed. Home Depot is a rip-off. Please, do not do business with them unless you are ready for some headaches. They also lie about financing.

Original review: May 24, 2022

Home Depot at Miramar, Haileah and Pembroke Pines do not want to help the customers find materials. Customer Service representative at the Pines store was unprofessional, rude, and lacked the necessary knowledge to be proactive. I was searching for Veranda vinyl fence panels. Multiple stores showed in the system they had many, yet they kept telling me all they had was what was on display. Lumber personnel were dismissive and had the aisles messy with large materials all over the floors causing safety hazards. Finally, after getting the manager at the Pines store, the panels were found. I had to drive to 3 stores searching because employees were too lazy, disorganized, and careless to bring down the pallets. At the Pines stores they sent me to the university store. That's when I called the manager.

They had me driving around south Florida until I called a manager. This person took action and went out back to find the panels. She was the only person there that was attentive and professional. Home Depot is not was it used to be... Very disorganized aisles, dangerous with many safety hazards. Rude staff, long lines of over an hour at customer service. The company seems like it's going under at rapid speed. Many family and friends have shared similar stories. From now on my store of choice will be Lowell's for building and garden material. Lowell's has organized stores, and knowledgeable staff. At Lowell's walking through their aisles will not put your life in danger.

Original review: May 14, 2022

We ordered multiple windows and a sliding glass door. When they finally arrived, took months, one was cracked and the installer had measured the door wrong. The window did not have screens. The installer stuck our windows in with a "few" screws, leaving a 1 inch gap behind the nail fin, which precluded proper installation of the window trim. He literally used a pry bar and a sledgehammer to force the sliding glass door into the opening, despite my asking him to stop and order the correct sized door. The door is twisted and warped, and jumps the track in operation due to this. The handleset was also the wrong color, least of the issues. The crack in the one slider has spread throughout the entire pane.

Home Depot promised to order the correct door. Home Depot sent another contactor out to review the issues who was appalled at the incorrect installation. Home Depot promised to pay this contactor to come out and reinstall the windows and the door when the "correct sized" door arrived. Home Depot did not DO ANY OF THESE THINGS. We spent all last winter with the wind literally blowing into our home around these windows and door. The trim is not installed, and the sealant used on the inside separated within 24 hours due to the windows flexing and expanding as a consequence of the improper installation. They do not return calls, make promises they do not keep, don't show up when they say they will. They lied that they would make this right.

I had to file a dispute with my credit card company to protect my rights, and 8 months later I am attempting to get my broken window warranted directly from the manufacturer AND seeking a contractor to come and reinstall my windows and remove and replace the door. The exterior of my stucco home has exposed wire and paper, and no trim for 8 full months now, and counting. This has been a NIGHTMARE. And since Home Depot is the installer of record I am in a bind with the manufacturer as they defer to the installer for warranty issues.

Take a Windows & Doors Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Home Depot author review by Emma Simon

With more than 2,000 locations, Home Depot  an established do-it-yourself home-improvement store  with a vast inventory.

• Assurance of quality: Users will have the peace of mind that comes from doing business with a nationally-recognized brand known for its high-quality products. Home Depot sells vinyl, aluminum and wood windows from several manufacturers, including Andersen, Jeld Wen, American Craftsman and Tafco. They also carry an extensive line of doors, including exterior entry doors, interior room doors, sliding patio doors, storm doors, screen doors and French doors.

• Unusual selection: Users who need an unusually-shaped door/window or a product made from a non-standard material can often find it at Home Depot.

• In-store appointments: Consumers can meet with representatives at their local Home Depot to review product selection, discuss their needs, ask about pricing and financing and find the right products.

• How-to articles: Owners can browse articles on this company's website to learn how to install doors and windows themselves.

• Alarms available: Owners can purchase alarms and security systems as well as doors and windows.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Home Depot Windows & Doors Company Information