2. Homeowners

Home Depot Windows & Doors

Home Depot Windows & Doors
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.78/5

Banner image

Need help with windows or doors?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Need help with windows or doors?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Home Depot Windows & Doors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot Windows & Doors?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

My husband and I had a specialist come out to our home in September to measure for a new bay window. We placed the order the same month. The first available installation date was November 30th. The contractor canceled the installation for that day due to a chance of rain, no rain that day at my house until 4:30pm. He rescheduled the instillation for Dec 7th and now we are having to reschedule again due to weather. The contractor called to let me know the first available appointment they have is January 5th. Again, we have been waiting since September for this window to be installed and have already paid for 25% of the cost. This has been the worst customer experience we have ever had!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I had all my windows replaced by Home Depot with the selling point of lifetime replacement. One of my windows was broken and called on 10-10-20 for replacement and was told I would hear from someone in 5-7 business days. After numerous phone calls I finally received a return call from the installation manager about 2 1/2 weeks later. I told him to just ship me the window sash and I could replace it myself. I was told it should take 2-3 weeks. So far it has been over 3 weeks and no window and I cannot get a return phone call to the tracking information. If you need windows I would use a local contractor.

Get buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I have ordered blinds for all of the windows at our new home. They changed my selection, because of technical difficulties. When the blinds were installed they were totally different from what I wanted in style and size. I could not be there when it was installed so I was shocked to see that not only it’s different but not functional either. The adjusting rods are so short and up high that we need a step ladder to reach them. One of the blinds is all tangled up and can’t be pulled down.

I called the Bradenton Fl Home Depot to complain numerous times as well as the installer. I still have not heard back from them after almost two months now. I spent over $5000 for the window treatments that we can’t operate or look right. I guess once you lay down your money you are on your own and you can just jump up and down... trying to adjust the blades... Warranty and service stops right there. I am very very upset and will never buy anything from Home Depot. How can you trust them??

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I purchased 9 Simonton 6500 windows from HD. The warranties vary by windows however, these come with a Lifetime Warranty Installation and Double Lifetime Craftsmanship Warranty so this is transferable to the next resident. The windows were poorly installed initially. We had leaking in a few of the windows resulting in rotted trim. We have continued to contact HD to fix the issues through Installation Services and Customer Care.

In April, they sent out two Certified HD Exteriors representatives to assess our windows. They were shocked at the installation of the windows and determined each window would need to be reset, new wood trim around each window to replace the plastic snap trim which should not have been used, caulked and paint the new trim. They determined the proper shims or supports were not used during the initial installation. As a result, one of the windows is sagging or "smiling" at the bottom. We are also experiencing severe drafts through the windows and continue to have to reposition the plastic snap trim because it snaps out of place.

We were planning to replace the siding on two sides of the house and wanted to coordinate this project with the windows. The HD installers told us to leave the wood trim off around those windows since they would be replacing it. We coordinated the siding project to complete the week prior to our scheduled date with the contracting company for HD on July 28. Our siding was complete on July 21. Duct tape was placed around the windows since the wood trim was scheduled to be installed less than a week out. The old trim was too worn to reinstall.

The week the HD contractors was scheduled to complete our work order, the Crew Manager called to let us know one of the installers had been hospitalized with heat exhaustion and they would have to reschedule. Subsequently, their workload was pushed back and the 60 days expiration on approved projects set by HD had been met. The Crew Manager told us he would have to send the work order back to HD for approval.

Since August, we have been calling and e-mailing HD in an effort to get this resolved. We have been ignored repeatedly. We even filed a BBB complaint and they denied our request stating we nullified the warranty. These are the 3 reasons given by the HDIS Mgr:

1. We painted the windows. I sent pictures of the windows showing that it is caulk smeared on the plastic trim by their installers and not paint.
      2. We needed to maintain yearly caulking. In the warranty, it states caulking is the responsibility of the homeowner. We have applied caulk but no amount of caulk can fix windows missing proper shims or supports which should have been installed during the initial installation.

3. The labor is under warranty for only 1 year. The warranty clearly states Lifetime Warranty on Installation for as long as you own your home in the Peace of Mind brochure and the Simonton Warranty for the 6500 series.

I called the HD store and spoke with someone in the windows department. He verified the windows installation is backed by a lifetime warranty on the installation. This warranty is also front and center on their website and in their literature. During the confusion of having the work order approved for the second time, HD sent it to a different contracting company. The Certified HD Exteriors Representative from this company had the same assessment as the first installers who came out in April. So, three representatives from two different contracting companies had the same conclusion about our improperly installed windows. We found out from a HD employee, all of the employees involved in windows including salespeople, were fired from HD in January 2020. This action indicates there are many issues with their windows installation department.

I posted on Nextdoor, asking for recommendations to have our wood trim replaced and posted about our unsatisfactory experience with HD. The General Manager of the local HD store replied to my post. He said he wanted to help us resolve the issue. I sent him a detailed e-mail, including photos. It was the same information we have been trying to escalate through Installation Services and Customer Care at HD. In less than week, he told us he was unable to get anything accomplished and they told him to remove himself from the process and he should not even be speaking with us. I asked him if he could at least spot us the wood trim, paint and caulk since we would now need to pay for those items and the installation and resetting of our windows out of our own pocket. He said he would have to think about it and did not respond.

Currently, I have duct tape on five of my windows and no resolution with HD. HD needs to remove the lifetime warranty from their website and literature since they do not stand by their warranty on their labor. It's misleading.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

This a complaint on Store 3003 Bridgeton MO 63044. I have used this store for many years, and should know better. Every time I place a special order I have had nothing but issues, all of them nearly the same. Customer service Whether a delivery issue with appliances or a Blinds issue that I am now having. I try and get a hold of the store and get 1st the computer then I get someone at customer service who say, "Oh that is flooring. I'll connect you." I get someone in flooring. Says, "The people you want has just left for the day and won't be back till Monday." I say I need to talk about my blinds and he say, "Sorry. Can't help," and hangs up. This has happen 3 times now. How this store or business is still around is beyond me. I will never order anything from them again.

Original review: July 27, 2020

I am trying to replace 4 windows in my living room and 8 in the basement. Home Depot rep came, gave an estimate, etc. Very pleasant, promised lifetime warranty, all I had to do is call HD if something goes wrong, the company will come replace them. I mentioned that my windows in the bedrooms were changed in 2001 and they had leaked the Argon gas so they are cloudy. He encouraged me to find the receipts and call HD. Well, I found the receipts, and called HD. After 4 hang-ups, I finally got someone who asked me to email the receipts because they cannot find them in their system. I did! I called today and no one knows anything.

I went to the store, waited for an hour and a half with one of their employees calling her managers, but they were in a "meeting". Finally, I had to leave, and the employee wanted me to send her the serial numbers on the windows (they are not there anymore) otherwise she cannot do anything. The invoice had window wrapping as well, which they had never done!!! Finally I asked the employee how can I trust HD with my new windows, her response was "always keep the receipts!" which is exactly what I had done with my previous windows! It is too bad that a company like HD cannot honor its promises to its customers, and does not teach their salespersons not to promise the client anything just to get a sale!

Original review: June 30, 2020

I got the perfect door and Lee made sure the price was great too! He took away the worries and made sure I was educated in everything I needed to know about the install. I'll be going back to him in the future.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Never buy windows from Home Depot! It is not the windows that are the problem. It is the Home Depot Install Managers and contractors they use. Our nightmare started in 2015 and it is now 2020. From the beginning they have measured incorrectly multiple times, ordered the wrong window sizes multiple times, ruined the mortar on my home, broke the bucking, used the wrong caulking that resulted in it developing holes, not adhering well and growing mold. Our large picture window developed condensation between the panes due to an air leak, the drywall around some of the windows was damaged, I currently still have a window that leaks, mold growing between the glass panes and the rubber edging that you see when you look from the inside out, cracked and chipped two marble window sills.

Home Depot has replaced out windows 3-4 times now, each time causing more and more damage. Over the 5 years we have waited anywhere between 6 months to a year for our repairs to be done. The last visit from the Home Depot employee determined that we needed to have all the windows replaced AGAIN for the 5th time due to the shoddy workmanship. The window install managers do not keep you informed, they lie and they do not return calls.

After much frustration with this company, I resorted to complaining to the better business bureau and asking Home Depot for a monetary settlement. Home Depot refused and stated that all they would do was to replace the windows again. They have yet to acknowledge the shoddy work done by their contractors and the fact that I do not want them to replace my windows again because they cause more and more damage each time. I do not want to wait another year or more for them to order the windows and get their act together. They have proved time and time again that they are incompetent. The repairs that have been done, have never been done satisfactorily. They do not care that we had to take many vacation days/time off from work in order to accommodate them coming out and sometimes not even showing up. They have yet to file for an inspection for windows that were installed in March 2020.

The complaint to the Better Business Bureau did not result in an agreeable outcome. I have reached out to Home Depot Stacy Tank, Vice President of Home Services. I sent her a short letter of the situation along with many pictures of the damage. I received confirmation from the post office that the letter was received but it has been 7 weeks and no response from anyone.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I recently ordered patio doors using online ordering the end of May. I received an email from Home Depot on June 8th saying my doors had shipped and the estimated arrival to the store was June 15th. I contacted the receiving store on June 16 to see if the doors had arrived. They had trouble viewing the online tracking system and couldn't give me an answer. Today I again checked the tracking website which had previously not been functioning correctly only to find that the doors just shipped June 16th... the same day I inquired to see if they had been received at the store. I contacted the online service to ask why I had received an email from Home Depot on June 8th saying the doors had shipped when this was not true. The representative was unable to provide an acceptable answer. I more than likely will now choose to stick with getting supplies from Lowe's since I can get a truthful answer from this company and much better service.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Once upon a time (my Home Depot fairy tale), I ordered SIMONTON sliding glass doors (2). I was informed it would take up to 6-8 weeks after down payment and order to the manufacturer. After a couple of weeks I was informed Simonton does not make a 3 (three) panel door. I then agreed to have Milgard (via Home Depot) door replace the one of the ordered doors, and thus, another month or so waiting period.

When the installers finally came I was informed that the 3 panel glass door could not be found in the warehouse so they proceeded to install the 2 panel door. After another waiting period I was informed they found the 3 panel door in the warehouse and installation was scheduled once again. There were additional "hiccups," and after a full year until the entire project was finished.

I can get into those issues but the main point is (was), after my investigation I was ill informed, dare I say lied to, that Simonton does not make the 3 panel sliding glass door when in fact they do. And since I prefer the Simonton doors I am deeply disappointed in Home Depot for the waiting and diversion during all this time. I will say the installers are great and did a wonderful job. To the Home Depot credit they did give me a $250 gift card for my troubles and was told I would receive a phone call from their "managers" later that day. After six weeks I am still waiting. Moral of the story is when buying Camels go to a camel sales establishment.

Home Depot author review by Joseph Truini

With more than 2,000 locations, Home Depot  an established do-it-yourself home-improvement store  with a vast inventory.

• Assurance of quality: Users will have the peace of mind that comes from doing business with a nationally-recognized brand known for its high-quality products. Home Depot sells vinyl, aluminum and wood windows from several manufacturers, including Andersen, Jeld Wen, American Craftsman and Tafco. They also carry an extensive line of doors, including exterior entry doors, interior room doors, sliding patio doors, storm doors, screen doors and French doors.

• Unusual selection: Users who need an unusually-shaped door/window or a product made from a non-standard material can often find it at Home Depot.

• In-store appointments: Consumers can meet with representatives at their local Home Depot to review product selection, discuss their needs, ask about pricing and financing and find the right products.

• How-to articles: Owners can browse articles on this company's website to learn how to install doors and windows themselves.

• Alarms available: Owners can purchase alarms and security systems as well as doors and windows.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Home Depot Windows & Doors Company Information