Home Depot Windows

Home Depot Windows & Siding

Last updated: May 2, 2018

158 Home Depot Windows Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 2, 2018

I use to love Home Depot. We have bought a lot over the years with them. Until it came to our windows. We paid over $5,000 for 5 windows in May of 2016 and they finally got it right in 2018. We are in Fort Myers beach so weather was never an issue. The problem was they never fit. After countless phone calls and remeasurers and installer after installer coming out to the house, it finally was done right. I have dealt throughout the years with Greg **, Melvin **, Install manager, Justin **, Install Manager. And they all said they would take care of it. But same stuff different day with all of them. Have had 7 different people out to measure the one window that they could never get right. Over 5 different install companies out to install it, just to find out the measurements were wrong again. They kept sending out the same window measurements that were wrong in the first place.

We have had to cancel Dr. appts, and different events just to wait and stay home to have more measurements and installs. Justin even came out himself to try to get it resolved but that didn't even work. The installers they kept sending were all great. They refused to put in a window that was way too small. You could see outside of the side of it, that's how bad and small it was. Home Depot didn't get their act together when it came time to make the window.

Since all this, we have needed a washer and dryer. Normally we would have gotten it from Home Depot, but with all the YEARS of trying to get this right we were pretty gun shy. So we went to Lowe's. The installer we had last was great. He made sure that they got it right this time. Jeffrey from Catalyst was great. Didn't even get an, "We are sorry for the mess we put you through from Home Depot." We were hoping the new Head of Home Depot Andrew ** would have contacted us, but no word. When home depot customer service kept calling to ask if we were satisfied, I kept saying no and would explain the problem, but never heard back from anyone there either. I guess once they have your money, that's as far as the caring goes. So just BEWARE if you are ordering windows from HOME DEPOT. Unless you have a FEW YEARS TO GET YOUR WINDOWS RIGHT.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Poor windows installation job, my siding was damaged and add some scratch. Damaged plastic around windows and patio door (J channel, gap 0.25 inch). Poor silicon Caulking job, They put silicon on top of dirt. Home Depot refuse to fix it. Manager told me: "You have too much expectation." I paid real money $15650.00 - not fake money! I going to complain to Corporate office. Poor quality of Simonton Patio doors, Dirty windows, a lot of silicon, not good plastic welding spots, Patio door screen do not close and cannot lock door. More than week- nobody respond. Not recommend to use Home Depot and Simonton plastic windows and patio doors.

Get expert buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Anyone who has ever needed replacement windows knows how many sources for custom replacement windows of one kind or another are available. All seem to be custom factory windows and very expensive. Comparing window cost to standard size windows available at a large box stores like Home Depot or Lowe's, for example, shows a huge difference in cost between a store window and a "custom window" even for a standard size. A 24" x 48" double hung vinyl replacement window, for example, would be in the $150.00 range purchased from the store while a similar size window from any replacement window company would be double, triple or even quadruple the price. Of course, separating the price of the window from the labor is often very difficult.

I contacted Home Depot window installation through a local store and discovered to my dismay and frustration that the approved HD installation company only installs custom windows, not those from the Home Depot store. In other words you can get an installer to install custom windows or you can get a HD approved installer to install custom windows, all at the custom window inflated price. Again, the window price in the store is approximately $150.00 per window and the installation price from any source is in the $450.00 to $800.00 range per window. For a large 48" x 48" picture window the in store price is approximately $250.00 range while the same replacement window from an installer is in the $1,500.00 range using a "custom window".

The Home Depot installer will not use a standard size window brand from the store saying, "we choose to only use custom windows", so HD approved installer will not install the many brands available from the store. This points strongly to how deceptive the replacement window business is and why so many companies are always pounding down your door to do business. Yes, for the myriad of replacement window companies, this is a very profitable business. Most customers are not aware how much the prices are being inflated when compared to the price of the window itself. Customer be aware.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I am a professional builder. I ordered a whole house full of replacement windows (Simonton's vinyl windows) for a project, approximately $25,000.00. One window cracked. Home Depot would not respond to a replacement request even though there was a lifetime guarantee. I bought and installed a replacement, over $500.00. It hung up my project for months. Never again.

Original review: April 20, 2018

We had a Home Depot person come over on 2.14.18 to get a quote for all of our windows! All 8 windows! The salesperson is really just that. Promised us all 8 windows would come and be installed no later than 10 weeks! And said it can all be done in one Saturday. Tried to reach him to ask what’s going on and if we can cancel. No response at all. Like he never existed. Had multiple issues with the representative who’s suppose to schedule our installation to find out that they can’t make it happen in 1 Saturday.

Finally she got us a schedule for tomorrow 4.21.18 and TODAY 4.20.18 she calls to say they have to cancel since there’s a warehouse issue! When I just spoke to her yesterday to confirm tomorrow’s installation! And to top it off, the next appointment is not able till May 12th! This is just so frustrating. We could have easily found other quotes but we choose Home Depot because we were suckered in by the sales representative making promises this was going to be smooth installation. Please help me!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

This has nothing to do with this product, but the customer service provided by Home Depot. DO NOT get windows from Home Depot. It's been 5 months since we started our project, and they still have not completed the work. They came out the first time to install, and 2 of the windows were the wrong size; not even close -- the installer said like 6" off. They ordered new windows that we had to wait to be installed. No one ever got back to us. Months of emails and phone calls, complaining to the sales person, emails to Customer Care and nothing.

3 months later they finally came back and installed 1 of the 2 windows... the 2nd one? Wrong size again. Now 2 more months and I'm again emailing and calling, leaving messages with the installers, pleading with the sales person, emailing customer service. Nothing. Project still not completed. It's obvious that they received their money and so don't care about completing our project or doing what was promised to us.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I’m writing a review to let people know what a terrible experience we’ve had with Simonton Windows and Patio Doors and Home Depot Installation Services. We had eight windows and two patio doors replaced. The original installation in September of 2017 went well, the windows seem to function good but the patio doors really leave a lot to be desired. The bottom track in the patio door actually rusted and the door and screen door were extremely hard to open and shut. After a couple of service call, replaced track and adjustments it seemed to work fine until the first sub-zero weather we had, the patio door actually froze shut. There was thick ice in the bottom track and frost on our woodwork along the side of the stationary door. Once we finally got the door open there was very thick frost/ice on the side track of the sliding door.

After repeated trips to Home Depot with pictures of the ice and frost they sent the photos to customer service at Simonton. Simonton decided that there was no visible product defect present. They said they were seeing frost condensation and they don’t warranty against condensation, the door is operating as it should. Apparently, they expect their door to freeze shut in colder weather. While I totally understand about condensation and humidity the inside glass showed no moisture and the humidity level in the house was 27% or less. I wish the door would have come with a warning label stating it will not function well in cold temperatures!

We have repletely questioned the actual installation of the door. We have heard just about every excuse that they can think of and everyone that’s been involved seem to think that this is normal. I don’t understand how they can tell anything about the installation from pictures. Home Depot actually sent a couple of contractors out. The first one stated that the ice and frost buildup was because there was a deck outside of the door, another stated that it was because the door was installed near the kitchen area. Not one person has actually check to see if the door is insulated properly. We have heard just about every excuse that would cause the door to freeze shut and no one seems to recognize that this could be a safety hazard. This has been a very expensive mistake working with Home Depot and their “professional” installation service and Simonton Windows and Doors.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

First we will start with the fact that none of my "installation managers" were ever reliable and were/are extremely hard to reach. They would often not return my calls or emails. Second, I had to be the driving force to get my windows measured in which the representative kept me waiting all day and finally showed up just before dark. Then about a month after the measurement I had to continue to call Home Depot's customer care line just to get a set install date, which was a month after the promised date.

Fast forward to now, three of my rear windows are a half inch too short and are shimmer with wood and caulk and one is broken at the interior frames weld. You would think Home Depot could correct this matter? No, they definitely do not care! I have perused every avenue with no avail for three months now to try to solve this problem and nobody seems to even show the slightest concern or put forward any effort to help me. When reaching out to the financial side of the house I was told that my financing contract is not dependent of the windows being installed correctly...which means basically you keep paying to be treated like dirt. Never let Home Depot Exteriors touch your home! Buyer Beware!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Wow! My husband and I were dreading the day we needed new vertical blinds cut for our custom window. Each blind needed to be a different length. Fortunately, we were at the Cañon City, CO Home Depot at the right time for Christopher to assist us with this endeavor. With his "can do" attitude and skill we were in and out within an hour. He's just one of those customer service guys that is enjoyable to be around and he made every effort to make sure we were satisfied ie. staying after his scheduled time-off, and guaranteeing his work. It is refreshing to experience that level of customer service as that is not always the case.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018 I am VERY dissatisfied with my replacement windows. In 2008 we replaced all the windows in our home with these Andersen windows, believing Andersen was a very good reputable company with a good service and product history. A year later the picture window in our living room cracked due to cold stress. It was replaced free of charge. Then in 2016 the argon gas leaked and the same window became cloudy and I had to pay for installation of yet another picture window.

This winter the small double hung top window in the dining room cracked the inner panel glass and I have to buy and ship a new unit at my own expense. COLD is not covered under any warranty evidently. Why are these being sold in a state where the winter temps can dip to -30 then?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I like Home Depot as store but their service are so bad. I ordered window replace. They took 2 months to make the window. Then they called me and scheduled installation. They were too late for their appointment so we had to reschedule. 2 days later they called me. They said they can’t located my window. They lost my window. This is hilarious. I call the manager. He apologized. He said he will see what happened then contact me back. I never heard from him. I called back. They ask me to go to the store. I sent email. I went to the store. I spoke to the manager. She told me she needs to talk to another manager and she will call me back later at the same day. It has been 4 days now. I never heard from them! Now I just need my money back. I don’t need their window. ;(

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Basically I ordered five windows in May 2017. After five months of incorrect deliveries, windows shipped the wrong color or wrong size, or contractors not showing up I finally got four windows installed in October 2017. However one of those windows was installed with a ripped screen that they assured me they were re-ordering. The fifth window came the wrong size and had to be reordered again. This would be the third time ordering that window. Although they assured me they were rushing to put in a new order for the window and replacement screen I found out today that they were never ordered until almost a month later on November 22.

Now January 2017 I’m still waiting. After several more phone calls yesterday and today I realized nobody at Home Depot knew anything about the order so they were rude to me or not answering the phone or disconnecting my call. I gave up and went into Home Depot and asked for my money back for the fifth window. However now I’m still waiting for the replacement screen. I’m still shocked that Home Depot has such poor customer service and Simonton can’t do a better job at making their own windows. It’s been a very disappointing and draining experience.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Ordered replacement windows for our home with Home Depot on 09/92/17. The windows were installed 10/25/17 but only had screens for the bottom sashes. These are double hung windows so require FULL window screens for both top and bottom. We are STILL waiting for our screens and no one at Home Depot will talk to us. We paid over $8,500 and get anyone on the phone that knows about this. A window broke a week after it was installed. It's been 3 weeks and no replacement and we can't even find out a date when to will be replaced. Can't get ahold of anyone in charge. Cold air pouring thru a huge hole in window. Considering legal action against these people. We are disabled vets in our late 60s and HATE being used like this. Go elsewhere for your new windows. We have filed complaints with State Attorney General and the BBB. If no resolution then we will be forced to hire an attorney.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

When the salesman showed up, I liked him right away. In passing he mentioned that he had been in this line of work and with The Home Depot for 9 years. He measured my windows and then we set to designing the look. I asked if there would be insulation, foam or batting, in gaps behind the wall where the old windows has taken room up with weights, (the old windows were literally 100 yrs old).

He did not specify, but said "Oh yes, they will be insulated very well." I also asked if I could use gift cards to pay for the work and he said, "Sure, that shouldn't be a problem..." and went on to explain how to use it when I went to the website to make a payment. (A local store gives promos and $ back when you buy gift cards and, IF this were true, could potentially save me $100 or more.) The next step was to check my credit, because I did not. Already have gift cards, I was told I could have a 0% 12 month loan to pay in full before I was charged interest.

The windows arrived, but I had to work and since they require an adult 18 yrs or older has to be there the entire time, I had a friend come over while installation took place. I got home just as the workers were finishing up. The windows looked GREAT! I asked the man in charge what kind of insulation was used and he said "oh, no, there is a gap in the wall where the old weights were, but everything is sealed up tight."

He also goes on to tell me that they only have white caulk and the windows are brown on the inside to match the wood. He can use the white if I would like. I tell him, "No, that would defeat the purpose of matching the wood color." Then he needs me to sign the install sheet and has a bill attached. I try to give him the first gift certificate (that I bought for $500) and he casually says "Oh, no, what you can do with that is take it to the store and make any purchases you want at the store." I am put off, but figure, he is the install guy, maybe there is a mix up.

I have to make several calls to get them to come back to put clear caulk on the inside of window, since there is no insulation in wall, I want something else there besides only outside caulk. The entire purpose of getting new windows was to save energy and not feel the draft that my old windows had! I get my first bill. It says I have a project loan that is interest only (7.99%) for 6 months. That is not what I agreed to. I go to pay online with my gift card... No place to do that online, so I call and am informed that they cannot do that. The bank that loans is not HD so they cannot accept HD gift cards. (I am glad I only bought $700 worth of gift cards instead of the thousand(s) I had planned on! I stopped purchasing after the installer said I couldn't use it.)

So, let's see: Misinformed me about insulation. Completely misinformed (lied) about the type of loan... and how I would be able to pay. I don't think they planned on coming back to caulk inside of windows except I kept calling and gave a bad review when "Michael" my project manager called to see how I thought things went. (The only thing I complained to him about was that they were not done with the project until they came back to caulk.) The only positive is that the windows look exactly how I wanted...but now I have to use $700 in HD gift cards. I don't have a HD in my town, and I *Really* don't want to deal with these people again... but I guess I could use all those cards to buy new blinds. Online. (I will be installing on my own, thank you very much!)

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Ordered Anderson windows and Home Depot installed Simonton Vantage point clear value instead on Friday. By Saturday two were already broken (springs). It has been four days and I am still getting no action from Home Depot. I have dealt with HD many times before with no issues but this bait and switch to poorer quality is beyond explanation. Salesperson informed me he has never made a mistake in ordering windows. Totally denies any responsibility. I am very upset to say the least. If I wanted windows that did not open and close I would have kept the old ones. I am trying to decide how to proceed at this point.

Updated on 12/04/2017: Windows were installed in October and now it is December and still no repair or callbacks despite meeting with manager of store. Home Depot in Chandler AZ is poorly run from the store manager down. They also lied or so not facts of Egress from bedroom windows despite meeting with their “Egress specialist”. Had to give them the code from the City of Chandler 2017. Worst customer service and follow thru of any company I have ever dealt with. What good is a guarantee when no one fixes broken springs, etc.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

My husband and I ordered custom-made shutters for 2 rooms in our home. We had experienced exceptional service and product back in 2012 when we ordered shutters from them. What a difference 5 years makes! We placed our order in May, 2017 and the shutters were delivered with scratches on numerous louvers. After at least 6 email exchanges and countless telephone calls with THE SAME customer service representative, we find ourselves on October 24th, 2017 still waiting for a resolution or repairs to the shutters. Photos were sent and promises of quick resolution were made by the customer service representative. Promises of "We will get back to you today" only to never hear from them again. Follow-up concerning the status of the repairs was always left up to us. We are still waiting. I WILL NEVER, EVER ORDER CUSTOM MADE MATERIALS FROM HOME DEPOT AGAIN.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

After only one year of having Home Depot replace all my homes windows with upgraded double pain high efficiency windows I found that the install was failing. Several windows were separating from the frame and leaking. I contacted them and they agreed to come to the house and reinstall the leaking windows but they never showed up for the repairs after scheduling twice. I have called them several times but get no response or call back. I'm completely disgusted with the work and will never use them again for any type of home improvement work.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Ordered windows and had them installed. At the time of inspection, inspector couldn't find a tempered glass logo so the inspection did not pass. Home Depot Home Services said they would handle it, but when I call for updates, they are asking why the inspector is looking for tempered glass logos on the windows when it was required before. How do I know? I am a consumer, Home Services should be the expert and should be up to date on the requirements and codes. I was told I would receive callbacks, but no one reaches out. I was told the manager would call, I received no callback. I called asking for an update and left a voicemail, still no update. The inspection was about 2 weeks ago! I still don't know if I will need a replacement window or if Home Services will resolve this with the city.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I paid Home Depot to send someone out to measure for my doors. Paid the $50.00 deposit. I was told it would be a few days and someone would contact me. It was 5 weeks. After the guy came out to measure he said the measurements would be provided to the store the next morning. Three days after I get a call from a guy at the store that they need to send someone out to measure. Clearly no communication.

Initially I tried a different Home Depot. I was told a person would be out in a few days to measure for my windows. The guy they sent - three weeks later - was plain dishonest. I paid him 10% down assuming he would be ordering my windows. About two weeks later a guy show up at my house and says he is there to measure for my windows. I said "What are you talking about? My windows have been ordered." Turns out they had not been ordered and the order was wrong. I got a refund after over an hour on the phone and being transferred about 6 times. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Original review: July 15, 2017

I had Home Depot put in my doors and windows and love the product and the sales representative was great. The guy who measured the windows, not so much. I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter who loves to show everyone that is in our house. Everything. Well he was talking to my wife, and my daughter was trying to talk to them, so my wife started talking to her when he yelled at my daughter who then left screaming and crying. She remained petrified of the guy after that, and every other person thereafter. Had I been home to see it I would have kicked the guy out and terminated my $7400 contract with them. After an email complaint and bad survey review they do not care about the customer.

Original review: June 26, 2017

Hurricane Windows Installation - One of the crew members had a strong alcohol smell, I had to supply the entire crew with cold water the entire day on a very hot day here in Florida, they didn't bring a rag or paper towel to clean the windows, I had to find a 24' ladder so they would be able to install the windows on the 2nd floor, I had to ask them to not lay the ladder against the wall in my living room so I had to ask to protect the tips of the ladder with some cardboard, next day I found some screws from the old windows on my driveway so ended up sweeping what they were supposed to clean after. What a nightmare, a bunch of unprofessional guys.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I met with THD salesperson several weeks ago. He assured me he was very familiar with the windows I ordered and talked me through the process of getting them installed. I let him know I had a deadline to get them installed and he assured me they would make it. It was very easy to get them to take my credit card info but it got increasingly difficult to get anything done after that. I had to call to remind them that I needed to have my windows measured. I checked on the progress yesterday because it is one week from the deadline for install and got a call back from the original salesman telling me all the bad news with my order.

Long story short, the windows were never ordered and I was told I needed "construction" to get the windows in or they would leak. Interestingly, he also revealed that THD had to wait on my order because they did not have a license to install windows in manufactured homes. So, he took my order and charged my credit card knowing legally he could not fill the order. Needless to say after being told there were no windows ready to install and I needed to pay an additional $150/window, I cancelled the order. I felt like I was being scammed.

Resolution response: May 31, 2017

In fairness Home Depot did contact me and corrected the problem.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Went to local store (HOME DEPOT STORE #2623) for options on cost and in stock or special order. Stressed to associate that I was looking for basic no-frills standard size replacement patio slider. Was told best they could get me was $1,173.10 30 plus days to deliver and $69.00 for delivery. A few days later while in another HOME DEPOT I FIND OUT THAT A BASIC NO FRILLS SLIDER IS CARRIED IN STOCK IN ALL STORES (same size & color ) for $299.99 plus $48.00 for screen. A difference of $ 825.11 - When I questioned why I never was given this option I was told clerk made a mistake!!! BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I went to Home Depot Germantown to replace my sliding door. They told me to pay $30 and guy will come and measure. So I paid and the guy came and measure my place. I was told 3 weeks and the windows would be in. (LIE). Weeks after the measuring was done never heard back from anyone. So I called Home Depot. Whenever I called they told me they are busy with customer and they will call back. I called like 10 times and always same answer but never got a callback. After reading all this negative review, I have to decide do I have to decide fast that do I have to wait for Home Depot telling me to call or cancel the order and move on.

Original review: March 1, 2017

This hasn't been a good experience whatsoever. We used THD thinking we'd have a pleasant experience, boy were we ever wrong!!! Process started in Nov 2016 - STILL not done and it's March 2017. 19 windows (7 are doubles) were ordered. The salesman couldn't explain why we 'might' need new construction as opposed to replacement except to say "it has something to do with how the house was built and they installed the existing windows." My husband had hurt his back the month prior and was succinctly clear that neither of us were looking for added projects when THD was finished. The salesman assured us we'd have nothing to do except put our curtains and shades back up, (LIE#1). So we signed the paperwork. We were getting a total of 25% off, we also decided to replace our rotting front door. We were both quite excited.

The salesman, BRIEFLY talked about the possibility that we MAY not be able to use replacement windows and might have to do new construction. He said he couldn't really explain why, "something to do with how they build the houses." My husband asked him again, "am I going to have any work when THD is done with new construction?" Rick (the salesman) again says 'no'. Well that was a lie, because new construction windows have new still and trim that only come primed, not painted, the project manager, Kevin, said "oh no you have to paint the trim and sills".

My husband got upset and was referred to the sales manager, Jason. My husband told him, that he'd hurt his back in October, and couldn't stand longer than 10min at a time, and we didn't want to void our lifetime warranty because we got paint on the windows. That if they couldn't get painting handled we'd be cancelling the order and not doing windows or the front door. To make it right, Jason, is painting the sills and trim on the new windows. Also, we realized that new construct windows would be more money, "labor is more expensive" said Rick. When they told us we couldn't do replacement the cost difference was so high, we cancelled the order for the front door. The difference was $3000, which was FAR more than we were lead to to believe.

We were told 3 weeks and the windows would be in. (LIE#2). I took a week vacation 4 weeks after the measuring was done. My vacation came and went and never heard back from anyone. Finally the morning I returned to work, I get a call from the salesman who tells me that there was a 'delay' in ordering our windows. (HOW many people are ordering window in NE in Nov for Dec install?). Didn't know what the delay was or why just that there was a delay. The windows don't come in until the end of January 2017. Install scheduled the 1st week of Feb 2017. I figure things are gonna get better. NOPE. The bottom sill of my old windows comes out a bit from the frame (to me it's like a little 'lip'). The 'head' installer, Mike, asks me if I want that with the new windows, because "I can do that, no problem", I told him that I'd like it and to please do it.

His first attempt was an added piece of wood that was LOWER than the wood attached to the windows. He does this with the 1st 2 double windows they install. HOW this on any level was OK to him, made my jaw drop. Kevin the project manager happened to by stopping by and said "oh it's an easy fix don't worry". WORRY? Of course I am. How is adding a piece of wood that's less thick than the one it's abutting OK? Instead of sending "3 short and 2 long" single windows they sent 5 short. So when they finished (in 2 days not 3) I had 2 old windows remaining, additionally new upper sashes had to be ordered as one of the double windows came with grids and wasn't supposed to. "No big deal" Kevin says. This whole project would have been done in 2 days not 3 even with the 2 missing windows. The crew finished both days, I mean, sweeping the driveway and driving off done 90 min earlier than I was told.

My 20yo son notices the screens aren't fitting properly. He opened a window in his room and pointed to a screen, didn't even touch it, and it falls from the 2nd floor to the deck. Landing in a pile of snow. My husband asks the 'head' installer, Mike, about the screens. Tells him they're not fitting properly, they're VERY loose and one fell out. Mike's response was "it's a screen, that's how they come." My husband got upset and told Mike not to blow smoke up his **. Because of this 'altercation' with Mike, I was told by the sales manager, Jason, that Mike wouldn't be back for day 2. I told him that was probably best when the 'head' installer is telling the customer to suck it up. Mike came back on day 2. I wasn't happy.

The installers broke the exterior light by the back door. Not only does it not work, it's hanging off the house. When the snow melted, we were shocked at the mess left behind. Shards of wood, vinyl, empty rolls of something and nails, nails, nails everywhere. We have a dog, we had to keep him from an area along the house in the back because there were SO MANY nails. When I called Jason and Kevin about the mess left behind, Jason assured me that even with snow, I should "not be able to tell they were there". Well there's evidence EVERYWHERE, long pieces of siding, pieces of wood, as far out as 10 feet from the house! Did I mention the nails? In order to help protect the dog, my son picked up and filled a 9oz plastic cup with nails, both rusty and new.

In one of my many conversations with Jason, I told him we haven't called THD corporate and complained because HE, (Jason) is bending over backwards to make it right. When I told him Mike came back the 2nd day, he wasn't happy! He didn't know he came back. So a 3 day job (which ended up being 2 1/2 total) has been dragged out to almost 5. Kevin HAS come by with a magnet and collected the nails, wood and vinyl trash left behind. He can't do anything with my broken light, because a screw is stripped. Well Kevin, your crew took the light off. Tell me again? He also replaced the 3 sashes that needed replacing. (1 came with grids and wasn't supposed to and 1 came without grids and should have). Jason is supposed to come back and finish painting, and the screens (that were either 1/8" or 1/4" too narrow) need to be installed.

Needless to say, I will NOT be using THD for my front door, or any other home improvement job ever. I have to say the sales manager Jason has been super nice and has bent over backwards to make things right. Kevin, treats everything like it isn't such a big deal. Considering all the problems, I told Jason we'd like a partial refund on the installation. That has to go to someone named Chad, who I am waiting to call me (he gets til Friday).

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

October I ordered 11 High impact or Hurricane windows. First order arrived. 7 of the windows were NOT high impact windows. Little did I find out until the county inspector FAILED the inspection. SO reordered the correct windows. NOW only two were incorrect this time. NOW it's 2017 and promised two of the correct windows on APRIL 1st. Not sure if this is a JOKE. At this point it's not funny. The other day I went to raise three of the windows. It took all I had to get the windows up...ONLY to have them fall back down each time. WHAT the heck is wrong with this company. I would think they would be bending trying everything to make this go away and get it right.

NOW they have scratched paint up both inside and out. THE CAULKING is SO messy a child could have done a better job. It's NASTY. If I lived in PORT ROYAL I know they would have received a better quality job. CERTAINLY this can't be the quality of work all people get.. BUT after three failed attempts in getting my job done and to my liking OH WHAT a disappointment. I couldn't see why they don't have a specialist come and check out jobs for each client and see what workmanship is being done. HOW about their rating? REALLY...UNACCEPTABLE by all means...SEND OUT THE PROS Please...I am so so sorry I went with HOME DEPOT.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Wow, What a joke! Home Depot came, measured and ordered windows for my home in October, 2016. It is now end of February 2017 and still no windows. They came out the first time and were "surprised" the windows were on the second floor. Had no ladders or scaffolding. Not to mention one of the windows was the wrong size, and the second damaged. I took off work again two months later (had to reorder new windows) and to my disgust, they show up 1.5 hours late and again were "surprised" the windows were on the second story. I am told AGAIN they can not install and another day off of work for me.

In addition the window for our bedroom was incorrect and would need to be re-ordered. I was told they would come the next day to install the kitchen window, with scaffolding which I took ANOTHER day off of work for. Guess what? They "no showed"... After several angry calls I find they canceled the install so they would not have to come and set up scaffolding twice! I certainly would not want to inconvenience the Home Depot!

I demanded that the foggy window in my kitchen get replaced asap as I did not want to wait ANOTHER "4-8 week" until the other one was re-ordered. I was told the next time was a week out. I took the day off, waited at the house until nearly 10 am when the Home Depot called and told me "no install today". And could not even give me a day as to when they could be installed! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? This was attempt #5 to get 2 windows replaced! I have taken off work 4 days, have no windows and no date? What a joke! What poor service! What incompetent installers. Showing up twice w/o the equipment to install? By the way, this was not a small crappy job in my mind... I was Paying nearly 7k for these two windows!! I have had entire homes built faster than Home Depot can install two windows!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

Horrible experience with Home Depot purchasing and installing home windows! It started with the Sales rep promising the windows to be installed within a certain timeframe. He never replied to any phone calls, emails, or voicemails after purchase of windows. He did not know the 24 month no interest, only applied towards the consumer card. The installation was completed by a contracting company who had no respect for our home and had to return a few days later to complete the installation of the slider because they couldn't fit it in their truck with the windows. We were left cleaning up after them and having to repaint our window sill.

I had to go into Home Depot to apply for the consumer card to get the 24 month no interest, then speak to a sales manager to get the commercial card refunded, who was not apologetic whatsoever, and then speak to customer service for them to obtain and bill my new consumer card. I have taken a verbal survey and spoken to Home Depot customer service a few times now, requesting I get a call back from a manager, to no avail. I am disgusted someone can feel okay about running this company.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

We have had the most terrible experience with Home Depot. They installed the window over two years ago, right after that, the water has been leaking from the tops of the window as if someone pours water inside my house. We live in the windy Bay Area. When the wind blows at night, the whole window sounds like it is going to crack. Then we asked HD to come look at it. They came "fixed" it for two more time. Now two and a half years have passed, it still leaks terribly. It has severe mold problem, the frame outside turned rusty and the floor is damaged. It has been such nightmare to my family. They said they will come look at it again but it's been two weeks since I complained, no one will give me an appointment so far. All of the people I talked to are liars at Home Depot. They said someone will call me but they never did. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

No Home Depot window work -- 9/28/2016 we signed a window replacement agreement with sales Paul **. 11/7/2016 we received a call from Texas office to schedule the installation on 12/7/2016. 12/7/2016 the installer showed up but said they couldn't find the windows for my house then left. 12/9/2016 the sales manager, Andrew **, called and said that the windows are in their warehouse, but no permit from the city yet, and need to apply that before the installation. (It supposedly should be ready by THD before 12/7.) 1/17/2017 the city approved the permit, and rescheduled 1/23/2017 do the installation. 1/22/2017 the installer confirmed that they will show up between 9 AM to 10 AM. 1/23/2017 no one showed up, I called the installer and the installation manager, Rick **, they just told me they are not prepared for the installation, and they couldn't find the windows.

1/23/2017 I sent e-mail to sales manager addressed that THD failed twice, and I want to cancel the agreement. 1/31/2017 the San Leandro store manager, Angela **, called that she will sorted this mess out and called me later on. 1/31/2017 the installation manager called that there still has 4 windows missing and need to reorder, it will take another 10 days before schedule the installation. 1/31/2017 I sent e-mail to Angela addressed that I don't want waste my time on THD and want to cancel my agreement (as attached). 2/8/2017 sent text message to Angela for updating the status of agreement issues. Since 2/1/2017 I haven't received any responses from THD in that regard. Attached are the text message exchanged between sales manager Andrew and store manager Angela ** for your reference.

Home Depot expert review by Joseph Truini

With more than 2,000 locations, Home Depot  an established do-it-yourself home-improvement store  with a vast inventory.

• Assurance of quality: Users will have the peace of mind that comes from doing business with a nationally-recognized brand known for its high-quality products. Home Depot sells vinyl, aluminum and wood windows from several manufacturers, including Andersen, Jeld Wen, American Craftsman and Tafco. They also carry an extensive line of doors, including exterior entry doors, interior room doors, sliding patio doors, storm doors, screen doors and French doors.

• Unusual selection: Users who need an unusually-shaped door/window or a product made from a non-standard material can often find it at Home Depot.

• In-store appointments: Consumers can meet with representatives at their local Home Depot to review product selection, discuss their needs, ask about pricing and financing and find the right products.

• How-to articles: Owners can browse articles on this company's website to learn how to install doors and windows themselves.

• Alarms available: Owners can purchase alarms and security systems as well as doors and windows.

• Best for: Home Depot is best for homeowners, do-it-yourselfers, condo owners, landlords and business owners.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Home Depot Windows Company Information