2. Homeowners
  3. Windows and Doors

Home Depot Windows & Doors

Home Depot Windows & Doors
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.79/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Home Depot Windows & Doors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot Windows & Doors?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: June 30, 2020

I got the perfect door and Lee made sure the price was great too! He took away the worries and made sure I was educated in everything I needed to know about the install. I'll be going back to him in the future.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Never buy windows from Home Depot! It is not the windows that are the problem. It is the Home Depot Install Managers and contractors they use. Our nightmare started in 2015 and it is now 2020. From the beginning they have measured incorrectly multiple times, ordered the wrong window sizes multiple times, ruined the mortar on my home, broke the bucking, used the wrong caulking that resulted in it developing holes, not adhering well and growing mold. Our large picture window developed condensation between the panes due to an air leak, the drywall around some of the windows was damaged, I currently still have a window that leaks, mold growing between the glass panes and the rubber edging that you see when you look from the inside out, cracked and chipped two marble window sills.

Home Depot has replaced out windows 3-4 times now, each time causing more and more damage. Over the 5 years we have waited anywhere between 6 months to a year for our repairs to be done. The last visit from the Home Depot employee determined that we needed to have all the windows replaced AGAIN for the 5th time due to the shoddy workmanship. The window install managers do not keep you informed, they lie and they do not return calls.

After much frustration with this company, I resorted to complaining to the better business bureau and asking Home Depot for a monetary settlement. Home Depot refused and stated that all they would do was to replace the windows again. They have yet to acknowledge the shoddy work done by their contractors and the fact that I do not want them to replace my windows again because they cause more and more damage each time. I do not want to wait another year or more for them to order the windows and get their act together. They have proved time and time again that they are incompetent. The repairs that have been done, have never been done satisfactorily. They do not care that we had to take many vacation days/time off from work in order to accommodate them coming out and sometimes not even showing up. They have yet to file for an inspection for windows that were installed in March 2020.

The complaint to the Better Business Bureau did not result in an agreeable outcome. I have reached out to Home Depot Stacy Tank, Vice President of Home Services. I sent her a short letter of the situation along with many pictures of the damage. I received confirmation from the post office that the letter was received but it has been 7 weeks and no response from anyone.

Get buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I recently ordered patio doors using online ordering the end of May. I received an email from Home Depot on June 8th saying my doors had shipped and the estimated arrival to the store was June 15th. I contacted the receiving store on June 16 to see if the doors had arrived. They had trouble viewing the online tracking system and couldn't give me an answer. Today I again checked the tracking website which had previously not been functioning correctly only to find that the doors just shipped June 16th... the same day I inquired to see if they had been received at the store. I contacted the online service to ask why I had received an email from Home Depot on June 8th saying the doors had shipped when this was not true. The representative was unable to provide an acceptable answer. I more than likely will now choose to stick with getting supplies from Lowe's since I can get a truthful answer from this company and much better service.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Once upon a time (my Home Depot fairy tale), I ordered SIMONTON sliding glass doors (2). I was informed it would take up to 6-8 weeks after down payment and order to the manufacturer. After a couple of weeks I was informed Simonton does not make a 3 (three) panel door. I then agreed to have Milgard (via Home Depot) door replace the one of the ordered doors, and thus, another month or so waiting period.

When the installers finally came I was informed that the 3 panel glass door could not be found in the warehouse so they proceeded to install the 2 panel door. After another waiting period I was informed they found the 3 panel door in the warehouse and installation was scheduled once again. There were additional "hiccups," and after a full year until the entire project was finished.

I can get into those issues but the main point is (was), after my investigation I was ill informed, dare I say lied to, that Simonton does not make the 3 panel sliding glass door when in fact they do. And since I prefer the Simonton doors I am deeply disappointed in Home Depot for the waiting and diversion during all this time. I will say the installers are great and did a wonderful job. To the Home Depot credit they did give me a $250 gift card for my troubles and was told I would receive a phone call from their "managers" later that day. After six weeks I am still waiting. Moral of the story is when buying Camels go to a camel sales establishment.

Original review: April 10, 2020

Took months for after we inquired about doors to get someone out to give us quote. After we decided to proceed with door took over a year to get the door installed correctly. Door frame and door chipped, wasnt sealed correctly, door jammed after 2 days, paint chipping, people dont know their right hand from their left hand. No one can give you correct information. Changes daily. Never again will I spent another penny in their store.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I am supposed to have my windows installed today but nobody has called or shown up. I tried reaching out to the project coordinators and left a message but they never return my calls. I also left a message for my Sales Consultant and he also has not called back. I finally got a hold of someone from Customer Care and they informed me that the installers were supposed to be at my house by noon. It is now after 1pm and still nothing. I called Branch Support and they said they did not know where the installers were and told me to call them myself and gave me their number.

Although it is not my job to track down your installers, I called anyway just to find out that they are not coming. The installer said, "I told them I was not working for three weeks". Clearly, there is a lack of communication on their part as well as a lack consideration for their customer’s time and money. This is the second job I have done with Home Depot Exteriors and the first one did not go much better. Needless to say, I will never be doing business with them again.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Last July I had the local rep for Home Depot put in an order for 10 replacement windows for an older home that I own. They were done and supposed to go in in September but unfortunately when the installers came out 7 of the 10 windows didn't fit. The installers remeasured and I was told it would be another 2 or 3 weeks until they were finished and ready to go in. After a month I kept trying to get a hold of someone to find out what was going on but no one would get back to me. As a result I called and cancelled my order. Within 20 minutes Robert ** called me back and asked what was going on so I told him that there was no communication with his boss (Jeffery **) even though I had tried several times to do so. He then explained what had happened (one window had to be built somewhere else). He then promised me that if I agreed to go ahead with the deal I would get a $1000 gift card and I agreed to do so.

The Friday before Christmas the installers again came out and installed 9 out of 10 windows. The 10th did not fit. I was told it would be 2 weeks which ended up being another month but again I had to get in touch with them so they could call back and make another appointment. Installers came out and put it in. It didn't quite fit but they figured out a way around it. In the meantime I'm waiting to hear about my gift card. I finally called Cory (sales manager) and asked him about and he said he'd check on it. He got back to me and offered an $800 dollar gift card. I said that they had promised me $1000 but he said they would only go for $800 so I said yes figuring I was probably lucky to get that. Then, after thinking about it I got mad. If your word is no good on something like this this then you have a big problem going on. I am sending a copy of the emails between Cory and I so you can see for yourself. Please tell me that Home Depot is better than this.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Horrible job installing my doors. When it rains my floors get wet then I was told the warranty is voided because I didn’t paint the door. I was never told to paint the door... When I purchased the doors I said I wanted a door that I did not have to PAINT!!!! I WILL NO LONGER DO BUSINESS WITH HOME DEPOT. $1800.00 WASTED...

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Paid for Blinds to be installed a d measured by Home Depot. Home Depot rep came into my home measured. Fiance went to HomeDepot to pick up blinds. Blinds were cut to fit all my windows. Started process 1/12. Home Depot rep came to install 1/30. 5 Blinds were correct. 3 incorrect. Representative from Home Depot stated I should get a call and new Blinds and installation. I called to complain to Corporate. New Blinds delivered Saturday 2/1/2020. I am still currently awaiting a call from Home Depot regarding installing the blinds that were delivered Saturday. Today is Monday February 3rd. I have yet to receive a call. I will never shop for major house items. Missouri City, TX you have earned a F. I am livid.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

The Home Depot I visited was lazy, uncooperative, and lacked any knowledge about windows. I met 3 employees. The 1st two said they would not help me at all. The third was hiding out from work and suggested I find someone else to help. I then waited to find someone else but gave up after about 15 minutes. I do not understand why anyone would go here for any reason.

Home Depot author review by Joseph Truini

With more than 2,000 locations, Home Depot  an established do-it-yourself home-improvement store  with a vast inventory.

• Assurance of quality: Users will have the peace of mind that comes from doing business with a nationally-recognized brand known for its high-quality products. Home Depot sells vinyl, aluminum and wood windows from several manufacturers, including Andersen, Jeld Wen, American Craftsman and Tafco. They also carry an extensive line of doors, including exterior entry doors, interior room doors, sliding patio doors, storm doors, screen doors and French doors.

• Unusual selection: Users who need an unusually-shaped door/window or a product made from a non-standard material can often find it at Home Depot.

• In-store appointments: Consumers can meet with representatives at their local Home Depot to review product selection, discuss their needs, ask about pricing and financing and find the right products.

• How-to articles: Owners can browse articles on this company's website to learn how to install doors and windows themselves.

• Alarms available: Owners can purchase alarms and security systems as well as doors and windows.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Home Depot Windows & Doors Company Information