Need a window & door company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Home Depot Windows & Doors
2.95/5

Home Depot Windows & Doors

Home Depot Windows & Doors Reviews

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Almost 90 days ago I signed and agreed to having 2 large windows in my house replaced by Home Depot. Loved the salesman! After about 3 weeks finally got measured. When the installers showed up they went right to the windows and went to measuring. WRONG. Had to be re-ordered. Now at almost 90 days, I know my windows are in, but of course no calls yet to schedule. I called once to inquire and was told they are backed up for some reason, call them back if I haven't heard back by the end of the week. Meanwhile my window treatments are off my windows and my outside patio furniture needs to be winterized, but can't do that or it will all be in the way of the install. I am so sorry I went with Home Depot. No follow up or follow through. 90 days is just not acceptable. But since you have to pay upfront, what do I have to stand on? I will update after the install on exactly how long this process took.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Home Depot came for a second measurement then never ordered the window. After I called for a status, they sent someone else out to measure again and it took another 3 weeks to get the window ordered. They called to schedule the install and when I called to confirm the day before, they denied they ever set up an install date and said their soonest available would be in another 3 weeks.

It had already been 2 months since the order was placed. I told the manager that I was very unhappy and demanded a discounted price. He agreed to a discount but when I wrote a check after installation, Home Depot didn't cash the check. Instead they took the info. off my check and made an unauthorized electronic withdrawal from my bank acct. for the original amount and not the discounted price that was agreed on. They didn't call to see why my check was a different amount. They just took whatever they wanted out of my account. Highly illegal and unscrupulous. I will NEVER do business with them again....in ANY capacity.

Get expert buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

In October 2019 we contracted with Home Depot (Steve from Farmington Hills, MI) to install 5 replacement windows in our residence. As part of a promotional, they offered us a Home Depot Card at 0% interest for 2 years for the project's cost. Upon receipt of the card it was 0 interest for 6 mos. Repeated calls to correct this met with no success because although the credit services personnel wanted to help, they could never get the salesmen to submit the contract which stated 2 yrs/0%. However the project cost were stated on the statement so we started paying the installment fees while we sought to correct the mistake.

While this was going on we had to repeatedly call to find out when the measurer would be out to measure the windows. The on-line schedule reference was never updated so no information was forthcoming without calling. Finally the gentlemen did arrive, took his measurements and explained that they would now go back to the salesmen, he would pass them on to the vendor and once manufactured the salesmen would call to provide an installation date.

Approximately Nov 2nd, we received a statement with a 0 balance and a credit for our first payment. Upon calling them they indicated Home Depot had cancelled our order. At no time did we receive a call from the salesmen, his manager or any other personnel from HD. Calls to these individuals were never returned. We finally were informed by financial services personnel that it was cancelled because the notes on the account stated "framework" was needed. This was erroneous. Again no number of calls were ever returned, contact with other managerial personnel resulted in passing the buck, and at no time did we receive a reasonable explanation of the cancellation without consultation with us.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Original order at Home Depot Honesdale PA. July 7th 2019. Waited 6 weeks. Door was sent to another area Home Depot for installation. I did not request a installation. So this door was supposed to be sent back to the original store I ordered from (Honesdale, PA.) so that they could deliver it. Waited and waited. I called. They could not locate the door. It was “lost”. I needed to reorder the door.

Returned to store to reorder the door. Sat down with garage door specialist and reordered the door. Waited another 4 - 5 weeks. The door is finally delivered. I noticed that it seemed very light. I unwrapped to find that the door had been ordered without insulation. I brought it back and got my money back. I figured that now I’d order the door myself on line. Gotta be better than the stores service. So I reordered the door. New purchase order. All my specs checked out by me. Seemed good.

Again I waited. 3-4 weeks. Finally, big day, my door arrived. Looking at the tags on the door I noticed it says “Charcoal”. I ordered "Chocolate". Wrong door again! It turns out that Clopay started to manufacture a gray door designated as “charcoal” and the code distinction was unidentifiable from “chocolate”. Both being a “CH”. So the guy at the plant had a 50/50 chance of getting it right at the factory but he picked the wrong one. All of this information I found out from a calling the Home Depot Clopay representative. So now they have reordered. Just the panels this time, in Chocolate.

I called this morning. They said that my door was on its way and would be delivered by the end of next week. From July 7th to November 14th 2019 for a garage door! Wait a minute. That is if it truly comes at all and if it’s the correct, style, color, etc. We’ll see. This summary does not include the many calls and conversations with customer service reps “in house” that yes you to death, tell you they will call you back and never do. I had the store manager call me twice. “We’ll get to the bottom of this” and “you’ll have an answer before the end of the day”. Never called me back either time. To be fair, the corporate customer service division representative was very good. They even gave me some compensation in the form of a gift card for my troubles.

So, we’ll see what happens. Kinda sad though. What’s become of some of these people who work for these places? They just show up for work to get paid. They take no pride in doing their very best each day because it’s the right thing to do and that will, in reality, really make them happy and fulfilled. Maybe they should have some “in house” classes on the ethics of work.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Irving Texas, my sales representative was Carl **. He was agreeable and helpfully until I paid. Once they charge you for the installation you can no longer get good service. 2 months later and I don't have an installation date. He has stopped responding to my emails or phone calls. Not mention, I cancelled 3 windows and they won't remove those charges from my credit card. They say that must be handle after the window install but they can't tell you when that will occur. Why should I pay interest rates on a balance that is not accurate. I am so disgusted and disappoint with the entire process that I finally cancelled my order.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

A sales rep. (Stewart out of Plymouth, MN) came out to quote us on a window replacement. He quoted us $1500 on a full casement replacement, or $900 on an insert. We said we would talk about it and then proceeded to leave our home and said he would get back to us next day. 3 days later, no word. I texted next day to confirm replacement (as that was his original means of communicating his tardiness to our original appointment) and asked if he was planning on getting back to us. No reply. We still don't have a fixed window and have had radio silence with Home Depot apparently.

Thanks Home Depot for not helping for a second time. The first experience with this company involved the replacement of our water heat in which a technician came to our house and said he would not be able to perform work due to home depot not being able to supply the appropriate water heater for our home. Called a local plumber and the new water heater (Home Depot vendor brand) was installed next day.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I purchased an Andersen storm door from Home Depot for approximately $500 including measurements and installation. The experience was horrible from beginning to end. The main point I want people who read this review to understand is that after installation, the storm door did not close. Home Depot insisted that NO storm doors close completely. The manager of the Jericho store stated that he too has a storm door from HD and his does not close either. He also indicated that if the wind catches the door and damages it, the damage is not covered under the warranty and I would have to pay to repair. After arguing back and forth for over a month, HD removed the door and refunded my money (which included a $90 charge that they could not explain). After all is said and done, I purchased a Larsen door from Lowes. The experience with Lowes was seamless and the storm door closes properly. SHAME ON YOU HOME DEPOT.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I ordered several interior solid core pre-hung doors from Home Depot. Every summer, they warp and I have to have a carpenter come out to service. I also ordered a solid slab door, it warped within 6 months. Tag on it said 'Made in China'. No wonder. Ordered 2 screen doors, the screws that came with the doors prevent the door from being installed properly. The auto close mechanism is not working properly. Pretty much all of the doors from Home Depot are crap - do not buy.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I am beyond frustrated by my terrible experience with Home Depot and would like to warn other homeowners. To summarize, I purchased 3 Simonton windows and a sliding door to be installed by Home Depot. I had problems from beginning to end and do not want anyone else to go through what I did. The ordeal lasted over a year without Home Depot ever fixing the numerous problems, mostly to do with the shoddy installation. They had at least 6 different HD employees try to remedy the problems and they all failed! A rep from the Simonton Window and Door Company was even called and he replaced the screen door, it still didn’t fit right and he indicated it was because of the installation.

Not only that but I was “ghosted” for months, only to find out my contact person no longer worked there. Then they gave me a new guy and same thing…he was let go too after verbally promising to have the windows sealed. I then reluctantly agreed to a partial refund, only because I was so tired of the runaround for over a year and only because they wanted this problem (me) to go away. Just 2 weeks later 2 of the windows were leaking during a rain storm and soaked the carpeting in my bedroom, which now has to be replaced. I contacted them again and they said I signed off and they were not obligated to help any further.

That may be true, according to the document I signed, but this is a problem that was supposed to be fixed and would not have happened had they followed through with the promise to seal the windows. I'm not sure I have recourse except to save someone else from the agony, yes agony, of what I've been put through. Mentally and financially. I have a full timeline of the numerous ways Home Depot failed me, starting when they sold me a bad product in May 2018 to September 2019 when I came home from work to find the windows leaking. Please share and help warn other home owners about this. DO NOT BUY FROM HOME DEPOT AND NEVER LET THEM INSTALL ANYTHING!!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

Every bad review I read, I have had the same experience. Ordered our patio door in Mid November and didn't finish till end of July and kept having issues with scratched panes of glass. Each time they would install, 7 times this happened, my husband had to take off work cause install guys refused to work weekends, which used over a week of time off. This company could care less about keeping people happy.

I will never use them again, we only went with them cause we were very happy with the countertops we had installed by Home Depot. But we realize countertops and window customer service is completely different. I hope you have a Window Store in your area, we used them for our windows and wish we had for our patio door. Needless to say I will tell anyone I can to stay away from this company for Windows. What a nightmare this has been to deal with, and yes we wrote the company a lengthy letter wanting compensation and even that offer is a slap in the face for what we've dealt with. Pursue other options...

Home Depot expert review by Joseph Truini

With more than 2,000 locations, Home Depot  an established do-it-yourself home-improvement store  with a vast inventory.

• Assurance of quality: Users will have the peace of mind that comes from doing business with a nationally-recognized brand known for its high-quality products. Home Depot sells vinyl, aluminum and wood windows from several manufacturers, including Andersen, Jeld Wen, American Craftsman and Tafco. They also carry an extensive line of doors, including exterior entry doors, interior room doors, sliding patio doors, storm doors, screen doors and French doors.

• Unusual selection: Users who need an unusually-shaped door/window or a product made from a non-standard material can often find it at Home Depot.

• In-store appointments: Consumers can meet with representatives at their local Home Depot to review product selection, discuss their needs, ask about pricing and financing and find the right products.

• How-to articles: Owners can browse articles on this company's website to learn how to install doors and windows themselves.

• Alarms available: Owners can purchase alarms and security systems as well as doors and windows.

• Best for: Home Depot is best for homeowners, do-it-yourselfers, condo owners, landlords and business owners.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Home Depot Windows & Doors Company Information