Home Depot Windows
  • 1 star
Based on 95 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Home Depot Windows & Siding

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

146 Home Depot Windows Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Ordered replacement windows for our home with Home Depot on 09/92/17. The windows were installed 10/25/17 but only had screens for the bottom sashes. These are double hung windows so require FULL window screens for both top and bottom. We are STILL waiting for our screens and no one at Home Depot will talk to us. We paid over $8,500 and get anyone on the phone that knows about this. A window broke a week after it was installed. It's been 3 weeks and no replacement and we can't even find out a date when to will be replaced. Can't get ahold of anyone in charge. Cold air pouring thru a huge hole in window. Considering legal action against these people. We are disabled vets in our late 60s and HATE being used like this. Go elsewhere for your new windows. We have filed complaints with State Attorney General and the BBB. If no resolution then we will be forced to hire an attorney.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

When the salesman showed up, I liked him right away. In passing he mentioned that he had been in this line of work and with The Home Depot for 9 years. He measured my windows and then we set to designing the look. I asked if there would be insulation, foam or batting, in gaps behind the wall where the old windows has taken room up with weights, (the old windows were literally 100 yrs old).

He did not specify, but said "Oh yes, they will be insulated very well." I also asked if I could use gift cards to pay for the work and he said, "Sure, that shouldn't be a problem..." and went on to explain how to use it when I went to the website to make a payment. (A local store gives promos and $ back when you buy gift cards and, IF this were true, could potentially save me $100 or more.) The next step was to check my credit, because I did not. Already have gift cards, I was told I could have a 0% 12 month loan to pay in full before I was charged interest.

The windows arrived, but I had to work and since they require an adult 18 yrs or older has to be there the entire time, I had a friend come over while installation took place. I got home just as the workers were finishing up. The windows looked GREAT! I asked the man in charge what kind of insulation was used and he said "oh, no, there is a gap in the wall where the old weights were, but everything is sealed up tight."

He also goes on to tell me that they only have white caulk and the windows are brown on the inside to match the wood. He can use the white if I would like. I tell him, "No, that would defeat the purpose of matching the wood color." Then he needs me to sign the install sheet and has a bill attached. I try to give him the first gift certificate (that I bought for $500) and he casually says "Oh, no, what you can do with that is take it to the store and make any purchases you want at the store." I am put off, but figure, he is the install guy, maybe there is a mix up.

I have to make several calls to get them to come back to put clear caulk on the inside of window, since there is no insulation in wall, I want something else there besides only outside caulk. The entire purpose of getting new windows was to save energy and not feel the draft that my old windows had! I get my first bill. It says I have a project loan that is interest only (7.99%) for 6 months. That is not what I agreed to. I go to pay online with my gift card... No place to do that online, so I call and am informed that they cannot do that. The bank that loans is not HD so they cannot accept HD gift cards. (I am glad I only bought $700 worth of gift cards instead of the thousand(s) I had planned on! I stopped purchasing after the installer said I couldn't use it.)

So, let's see: Misinformed me about insulation. Completely misinformed (lied) about the type of loan... and how I would be able to pay. I don't think they planned on coming back to caulk inside of windows except I kept calling and gave a bad review when "Michael" my project manager called to see how I thought things went. (The only thing I complained to him about was that they were not done with the project until they came back to caulk.) The only positive is that the windows look exactly how I wanted...but now I have to use $700 in HD gift cards. I don't have a HD in my town, and I *Really* don't want to deal with these people again... but I guess I could use all those cards to buy new blinds. Online. (I will be installing on my own, thank you very much!)

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Ordered Anderson windows and Home Depot installed Simonton Vantage point clear value instead on Friday. By Saturday two were already broken (springs). It has been four days and I am still getting no action from Home Depot. I have dealt with HD many times before with no issues but this bait and switch to poorer quality is beyond explanation. Salesperson informed me he has never made a mistake in ordering windows. Totally denies any responsibility. I am very upset to say the least. If I wanted windows that did not open and close I would have kept the old ones. I am trying to decide how to proceed at this point.

Updated on 12/04/2017: Windows were installed in October and now it is December and still no repair or callbacks despite meeting with manager of store. Home Depot in Chandler AZ is poorly run from the store manager down. They also lied or so not facts of Egress from bedroom windows despite meeting with their “Egress specialist”. Had to give them the code from the City of Chandler 2017. Worst customer service and follow thru of any company I have ever dealt with. What good is a guarantee when no one fixes broken springs, etc.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

My husband and I ordered custom-made shutters for 2 rooms in our home. We had experienced exceptional service and product back in 2012 when we ordered shutters from them. What a difference 5 years makes! We placed our order in May, 2017 and the shutters were delivered with scratches on numerous louvers. After at least 6 email exchanges and countless telephone calls with THE SAME customer service representative, we find ourselves on October 24th, 2017 still waiting for a resolution or repairs to the shutters. Photos were sent and promises of quick resolution were made by the customer service representative. Promises of "We will get back to you today" only to never hear from them again. Follow-up concerning the status of the repairs was always left up to us. We are still waiting. I WILL NEVER, EVER ORDER CUSTOM MADE MATERIALS FROM HOME DEPOT AGAIN.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

After only one year of having Home Depot replace all my homes windows with upgraded double pain high efficiency windows I found that the install was failing. Several windows were separating from the frame and leaking. I contacted them and they agreed to come to the house and reinstall the leaking windows but they never showed up for the repairs after scheduling twice. I have called them several times but get no response or call back. I'm completely disgusted with the work and will never use them again for any type of home improvement work.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Ordered windows and had them installed. At the time of inspection, inspector couldn't find a tempered glass logo so the inspection did not pass. Home Depot Home Services said they would handle it, but when I call for updates, they are asking why the inspector is looking for tempered glass logos on the windows when it was required before. How do I know? I am a consumer, Home Services should be the expert and should be up to date on the requirements and codes. I was told I would receive callbacks, but no one reaches out. I was told the manager would call, I received no callback. I called asking for an update and left a voicemail, still no update. The inspection was about 2 weeks ago! I still don't know if I will need a replacement window or if Home Services will resolve this with the city.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I paid Home Depot to send someone out to measure for my doors. Paid the $50.00 deposit. I was told it would be a few days and someone would contact me. It was 5 weeks. After the guy came out to measure he said the measurements would be provided to the store the next morning. Three days after I get a call from a guy at the store that they need to send someone out to measure. Clearly no communication.

Initially I tried a different Home Depot. I was told a person would be out in a few days to measure for my windows. The guy they sent - three weeks later - was plain dishonest. I paid him 10% down assuming he would be ordering my windows. About two weeks later a guy show up at my house and says he is there to measure for my windows. I said "What are you talking about? My windows have been ordered." Turns out they had not been ordered and the order was wrong. I got a refund after over an hour on the phone and being transferred about 6 times. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Original review: July 15, 2017

I had Home Depot put in my doors and windows and love the product and the sales representative was great. The guy who measured the windows, not so much. I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter who loves to show everyone that is in our house. Everything. Well he was talking to my wife, and my daughter was trying to talk to them, so my wife started talking to her when he yelled at my daughter who then left screaming and crying. She remained petrified of the guy after that, and every other person thereafter. Had I been home to see it I would have kicked the guy out and terminated my $7400 contract with them. After an email complaint and bad survey review they do not care about the customer.

Original review: June 26, 2017

Hurricane Windows Installation - One of the crew members had a strong alcohol smell, I had to supply the entire crew with cold water the entire day on a very hot day here in Florida, they didn't bring a rag or paper towel to clean the windows, I had to find a 24' ladder so they would be able to install the windows on the 2nd floor, I had to ask them to not lay the ladder against the wall in my living room so I had to ask to protect the tips of the ladder with some cardboard, next day I found some screws from the old windows on my driveway so ended up sweeping what they were supposed to clean after. What a nightmare, a bunch of unprofessional guys.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I met with THD salesperson several weeks ago. He assured me he was very familiar with the windows I ordered and talked me through the process of getting them installed. I let him know I had a deadline to get them installed and he assured me they would make it. It was very easy to get them to take my credit card info but it got increasingly difficult to get anything done after that. I had to call to remind them that I needed to have my windows measured. I checked on the progress yesterday because it is one week from the deadline for install and got a call back from the original salesman telling me all the bad news with my order.

Long story short, the windows were never ordered and I was told I needed "construction" to get the windows in or they would leak. Interestingly, he also revealed that THD had to wait on my order because they did not have a license to install windows in manufactured homes. So, he took my order and charged my credit card knowing legally he could not fill the order. Needless to say after being told there were no windows ready to install and I needed to pay an additional $150/window, I cancelled the order. I felt like I was being scammed.

Resolution response: May 31, 2017

In fairness Home Depot did contact me and corrected the problem.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Went to local store (HOME DEPOT STORE #2623) for options on cost and in stock or special order. Stressed to associate that I was looking for basic no-frills standard size replacement patio slider. Was told best they could get me was $1,173.10 30 plus days to deliver and $69.00 for delivery. A few days later while in another HOME DEPOT I FIND OUT THAT A BASIC NO FRILLS SLIDER IS CARRIED IN STOCK IN ALL STORES (same size & color ) for $299.99 plus $48.00 for screen. A difference of $ 825.11 - When I questioned why I never was given this option I was told clerk made a mistake!!! BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I went to Home Depot Germantown to replace my sliding door. They told me to pay $30 and guy will come and measure. So I paid and the guy came and measure my place. I was told 3 weeks and the windows would be in. (LIE). Weeks after the measuring was done never heard back from anyone. So I called Home Depot. Whenever I called they told me they are busy with customer and they will call back. I called like 10 times and always same answer but never got a callback. After reading all this negative review, I have to decide do I have to decide fast that do I have to wait for Home Depot telling me to call or cancel the order and move on.

Original review: March 1, 2017

This hasn't been a good experience whatsoever. We used THD thinking we'd have a pleasant experience, boy were we ever wrong!!! Process started in Nov 2016 - STILL not done and it's March 2017. 19 windows (7 are doubles) were ordered. The salesman couldn't explain why we 'might' need new construction as opposed to replacement except to say "it has something to do with how the house was built and they installed the existing windows." My husband had hurt his back the month prior and was succinctly clear that neither of us were looking for added projects when THD was finished. The salesman assured us we'd have nothing to do except put our curtains and shades back up, (LIE#1). So we signed the paperwork. We were getting a total of 25% off, we also decided to replace our rotting front door. We were both quite excited.

The salesman, BRIEFLY talked about the possibility that we MAY not be able to use replacement windows and might have to do new construction. He said he couldn't really explain why, "something to do with how they build the houses." My husband asked him again, "am I going to have any work when THD is done with new construction?" Rick (the salesman) again says 'no'. Well that was a lie, because new construction windows have new still and trim that only come primed, not painted, the project manager, Kevin, said "oh no you have to paint the trim and sills".

My husband got upset and was referred to the sales manager, Jason. My husband told him, that he'd hurt his back in October, and couldn't stand longer than 10min at a time, and we didn't want to void our lifetime warranty because we got paint on the windows. That if they couldn't get painting handled we'd be cancelling the order and not doing windows or the front door. To make it right, Jason, is painting the sills and trim on the new windows. Also, we realized that new construct windows would be more money, "labor is more expensive" said Rick. When they told us we couldn't do replacement the cost difference was so high, we cancelled the order for the front door. The difference was $3000, which was FAR more than we were lead to to believe.

We were told 3 weeks and the windows would be in. (LIE#2). I took a week vacation 4 weeks after the measuring was done. My vacation came and went and never heard back from anyone. Finally the morning I returned to work, I get a call from the salesman who tells me that there was a 'delay' in ordering our windows. (HOW many people are ordering window in NE in Nov for Dec install?). Didn't know what the delay was or why just that there was a delay. The windows don't come in until the end of January 2017. Install scheduled the 1st week of Feb 2017. I figure things are gonna get better. NOPE. The bottom sill of my old windows comes out a bit from the frame (to me it's like a little 'lip'). The 'head' installer, Mike, asks me if I want that with the new windows, because "I can do that, no problem", I told him that I'd like it and to please do it.

His first attempt was an added piece of wood that was LOWER than the wood attached to the windows. He does this with the 1st 2 double windows they install. HOW this on any level was OK to him, made my jaw drop. Kevin the project manager happened to by stopping by and said "oh it's an easy fix don't worry". WORRY? Of course I am. How is adding a piece of wood that's less thick than the one it's abutting OK? Instead of sending "3 short and 2 long" single windows they sent 5 short. So when they finished (in 2 days not 3) I had 2 old windows remaining, additionally new upper sashes had to be ordered as one of the double windows came with grids and wasn't supposed to. "No big deal" Kevin says. This whole project would have been done in 2 days not 3 even with the 2 missing windows. The crew finished both days, I mean, sweeping the driveway and driving off done 90 min earlier than I was told.

My 20yo son notices the screens aren't fitting properly. He opened a window in his room and pointed to a screen, didn't even touch it, and it falls from the 2nd floor to the deck. Landing in a pile of snow. My husband asks the 'head' installer, Mike, about the screens. Tells him they're not fitting properly, they're VERY loose and one fell out. Mike's response was "it's a screen, that's how they come." My husband got upset and told Mike not to blow smoke up his **. Because of this 'altercation' with Mike, I was told by the sales manager, Jason, that Mike wouldn't be back for day 2. I told him that was probably best when the 'head' installer is telling the customer to suck it up. Mike came back on day 2. I wasn't happy.

The installers broke the exterior light by the back door. Not only does it not work, it's hanging off the house. When the snow melted, we were shocked at the mess left behind. Shards of wood, vinyl, empty rolls of something and nails, nails, nails everywhere. We have a dog, we had to keep him from an area along the house in the back because there were SO MANY nails. When I called Jason and Kevin about the mess left behind, Jason assured me that even with snow, I should "not be able to tell they were there". Well there's evidence EVERYWHERE, long pieces of siding, pieces of wood, as far out as 10 feet from the house! Did I mention the nails? In order to help protect the dog, my son picked up and filled a 9oz plastic cup with nails, both rusty and new.

In one of my many conversations with Jason, I told him we haven't called THD corporate and complained because HE, (Jason) is bending over backwards to make it right. When I told him Mike came back the 2nd day, he wasn't happy! He didn't know he came back. So a 3 day job (which ended up being 2 1/2 total) has been dragged out to almost 5. Kevin HAS come by with a magnet and collected the nails, wood and vinyl trash left behind. He can't do anything with my broken light, because a screw is stripped. Well Kevin, your crew took the light off. Tell me again? He also replaced the 3 sashes that needed replacing. (1 came with grids and wasn't supposed to and 1 came without grids and should have). Jason is supposed to come back and finish painting, and the screens (that were either 1/8" or 1/4" too narrow) need to be installed.

Needless to say, I will NOT be using THD for my front door, or any other home improvement job ever. I have to say the sales manager Jason has been super nice and has bent over backwards to make things right. Kevin, treats everything like it isn't such a big deal. Considering all the problems, I told Jason we'd like a partial refund on the installation. That has to go to someone named Chad, who I am waiting to call me (he gets til Friday).

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

October I ordered 11 High impact or Hurricane windows. First order arrived. 7 of the windows were NOT high impact windows. Little did I find out until the county inspector FAILED the inspection. SO reordered the correct windows. NOW only two were incorrect this time. NOW it's 2017 and promised two of the correct windows on APRIL 1st. Not sure if this is a JOKE. At this point it's not funny. The other day I went to raise three of the windows. It took all I had to get the windows up...ONLY to have them fall back down each time. WHAT the heck is wrong with this company. I would think they would be bending trying everything to make this go away and get it right.

NOW they have scratched paint up both inside and out. THE CAULKING is SO messy a child could have done a better job. It's NASTY. If I lived in PORT ROYAL I know they would have received a better quality job. CERTAINLY this can't be the quality of work all people get.. BUT after three failed attempts in getting my job done and to my liking OH WHAT a disappointment. I couldn't see why they don't have a specialist come and check out jobs for each client and see what workmanship is being done. HOW about their rating? REALLY...UNACCEPTABLE by all means...SEND OUT THE PROS Please...I am so so sorry I went with HOME DEPOT.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Wow, What a joke! Home Depot came, measured and ordered windows for my home in October, 2016. It is now end of February 2017 and still no windows. They came out the first time and were "surprised" the windows were on the second floor. Had no ladders or scaffolding. Not to mention one of the windows was the wrong size, and the second damaged. I took off work again two months later (had to reorder new windows) and to my disgust, they show up 1.5 hours late and again were "surprised" the windows were on the second story. I am told AGAIN they can not install and another day off of work for me.

In addition the window for our bedroom was incorrect and would need to be re-ordered. I was told they would come the next day to install the kitchen window, with scaffolding which I took ANOTHER day off of work for. Guess what? They "no showed"... After several angry calls I find they canceled the install so they would not have to come and set up scaffolding twice! I certainly would not want to inconvenience the Home Depot!

I demanded that the foggy window in my kitchen get replaced asap as I did not want to wait ANOTHER "4-8 week" until the other one was re-ordered. I was told the next time was a week out. I took the day off, waited at the house until nearly 10 am when the Home Depot called and told me "no install today". And could not even give me a day as to when they could be installed! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? This was attempt #5 to get 2 windows replaced! I have taken off work 4 days, have no windows and no date? What a joke! What poor service! What incompetent installers. Showing up twice w/o the equipment to install? By the way, this was not a small crappy job in my mind... I was Paying nearly 7k for these two windows!! I have had entire homes built faster than Home Depot can install two windows!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

Horrible experience with Home Depot purchasing and installing home windows! It started with the Sales rep promising the windows to be installed within a certain timeframe. He never replied to any phone calls, emails, or voicemails after purchase of windows. He did not know the 24 month no interest, only applied towards the consumer card. The installation was completed by a contracting company who had no respect for our home and had to return a few days later to complete the installation of the slider because they couldn't fit it in their truck with the windows. We were left cleaning up after them and having to repaint our window sill.

I had to go into Home Depot to apply for the consumer card to get the 24 month no interest, then speak to a sales manager to get the commercial card refunded, who was not apologetic whatsoever, and then speak to customer service for them to obtain and bill my new consumer card. I have taken a verbal survey and spoken to Home Depot customer service a few times now, requesting I get a call back from a manager, to no avail. I am disgusted someone can feel okay about running this company.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

We have had the most terrible experience with Home Depot. They installed the window over two years ago, right after that, the water has been leaking from the tops of the window as if someone pours water inside my house. We live in the windy Bay Area. When the wind blows at night, the whole window sounds like it is going to crack. Then we asked HD to come look at it. They came "fixed" it for two more time. Now two and a half years have passed, it still leaks terribly. It has severe mold problem, the frame outside turned rusty and the floor is damaged. It has been such nightmare to my family. They said they will come look at it again but it's been two weeks since I complained, no one will give me an appointment so far. All of the people I talked to are liars at Home Depot. They said someone will call me but they never did. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

No Home Depot window work -- 9/28/2016 we signed a window replacement agreement with sales Paul **. 11/7/2016 we received a call from Texas office to schedule the installation on 12/7/2016. 12/7/2016 the installer showed up but said they couldn't find the windows for my house then left. 12/9/2016 the sales manager, Andrew **, called and said that the windows are in their warehouse, but no permit from the city yet, and need to apply that before the installation. (It supposedly should be ready by THD before 12/7.) 1/17/2017 the city approved the permit, and rescheduled 1/23/2017 do the installation. 1/22/2017 the installer confirmed that they will show up between 9 AM to 10 AM. 1/23/2017 no one showed up, I called the installer and the installation manager, Rick **, they just told me they are not prepared for the installation, and they couldn't find the windows.

1/23/2017 I sent e-mail to sales manager addressed that THD failed twice, and I want to cancel the agreement. 1/31/2017 the San Leandro store manager, Angela **, called that she will sorted this mess out and called me later on. 1/31/2017 the installation manager called that there still has 4 windows missing and need to reorder, it will take another 10 days before schedule the installation. 1/31/2017 I sent e-mail to Angela addressed that I don't want waste my time on THD and want to cancel my agreement (as attached). 2/8/2017 sent text message to Angela for updating the status of agreement issues. Since 2/1/2017 I haven't received any responses from THD in that regard. Attached are the text message exchanged between sales manager Andrew and store manager Angela ** for your reference.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Home Depot has made me a Loyal Lowe's Customer. We bought windows from Home Depot last Fall. The Kitchen window broke nearly immediately and a piece of glass fell out. We called our installer. He couldn't get the window out and promised to return. He never did. We have called every Customer Care number we can find. Each department we talk to promises a return phone call, and then never calls back. When we call them *again* they say they have discovered that the problem is being handled by a different department. Then that Department passes the ball again. In the meantime, I have wind blowing through a quilt hanging over my kitchen window. We've been told twice that the window is done, but in the wrong warehouse. 4 months of nagging -- no results. So I'm hoping to save you the same hassle. Don't buy a Home Depot Window! Regardless of brand -- you won't get help if your installation goes bad.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

We have bought 32 windows for our new construction and had problems with them since last February. The company representative blamed it on our contractor and did nothing for us. Home Depot does not care either. The window is 8'X8' and came in two sections. The window leaks from the joint between the upper window and lower window. We have replaced the flashing and the problem is not resolved. We had to vacate the house for safety and mold condition. The company promised us to send someone by next Monday! We see who they are going to blame this time.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

Paid $4500 for windows with crank handles. No complaints about install but incorrect crank handle covers. My contact is Richard **, who sold me the job. They told me I would receive a call within 2 weeks for the replacement. So far, I have eight calls and as many complaints. Each time they lie and say we will be contact within two weeks but I never hear back from them. I really thought that this Mr. ** would do something for me but he too lies about it, I guess hoping I will forget about the problem. I paid a lot of money for these windows and feel I am entitled to the correct parts. I was just about to order a kitchen from them so I guess I am lucky to have this problem. Two more of seven people I spoke to who are in charge of expediting these problems were Doreen ** and Doris ** plus the Store mgr. of H.D. Marlboro.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I used to love shopping at Home Depot. But now I hate this store. The reason for it is installation of the windows. Chad who works there came to my home in August 2016. We signed an agreement to install expensive Home Depot brand windows with a lifetime warranty. In a month 2 Ukrainian guys came in to install the windows. I paid the whole sum outright. In September with Seattle rainy and stormy weather windows started leaking. There was a lot of water on the carpet, drapes and the TV. My husband and I started calling Home Depot to come and fix it just about everyday. A month later a guy finally came to our place after a million phone calls and stated that pa protective part of the window was not installed on any of the 3 windows. He gave me a report to sign and said that somebody will contact me shortly.

We waited about 2 weeks - no calls. Since October 20, 2016 my husband and I have been on the phone with many many people at Home Depot trying to arrange the repairs. They kept transferring our call from one person to another. Everybody would say that they will call us back or say that they will set an appointment within the week. Now it is December 13th and they are still pushing us around. The rooms are wet and cold and there is mold forming on the inside of the wall. We decided to file a court order. Damage, inconvenience, hours we have spent trying to resolve it, being treated with no respect and wasting money on a bad product and service and not getting what we paid for on top of being angry and depressed about it all... Please, please, people, never deal with Home Depot installation or repairs. THEY WILL SCREW YOU OVER. And I will see them in court.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

In the beginning... Stopped by Home Depot in Laguna Niguel, and selected a window manufacturer for replacing windows at our residence. Order was placed July 30th, with installation to occur mid September. It is now December 10th. The windows have been measured now 4 times, and the last visit windows were brought out for an install, and they were not the correct size. Major, major screw up!!! We ordered these windows for several reasons -

1. For getting double pane windows in the upper volume area of our house in mid september before winter temperatures drain heat from the house in the single pane windows. Pretty much have missed that opportunity!
2. One window, a transom above the double front entry door, was to be a slider so as open up one panel to get the great breezes that our front facing entry porch receives. This being a goal for the Fall so that we could get fresh air from a side of our house that we have not been able to get at night... unless the front doors are wide open... and leaving front doors open all night is not an option.
3. Piggy back on top of # 2 with menopause. That window not going in is painful in multiple ways. I will not go into details as one can only imagine.

4. These windows were to be a test, prior to ordering an additional 25 windows to be replaced. This test has proven itself out as a failure with Home Depot.

Order windows in July, still sitting on the order in December with multiple botched attempts to correct. The last one was perfect; I was called the day after Thanksgiving, and advised that on Dec 3rd, the window installer would be there and we would get beyond the 3 month delay. Well, as it turns out, the installer showed up and the windows were not fabricated to the correct size for the installation. The installer was there 10 minutes and left... and we are still wondering what hurricane dropped in on us related to this order as one cannot get emotional or frustrated anymore about this one order. It is sick to be stringing someone out so long. It is simply a major screw up with no one accountable... even after the ball is fumbled 3 times. Give it up for Home Depot. If customer service reads this, then locate my phone number under my name above and email in the file. This is real bust of a story... and true up to the minute.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

We ordered a bay window from Home Depot Exteriors, which we were later told by Home Depot employees never to use because they are notorious for mess-ups. In our case, we were promised it within four to six weeks. After six weeks we called and were told that they never submitted the order. We were told that they would submit the order then, but after another week called again and were again told that the order was never submitted.

We were then turned over to their regional manager, who promised to have it rush ordered and installed within two weeks. After four weeks, including a week when the manager didn't return my calls for emails, we were told that the window was in Vermont but could not be found. Later that day we were called and told that they built the wrong window, and tried to blame us for it, even though we had a signed contract with the correct information on it. This is outrageous, and we are not going with them anymore. Be warned!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

I was so scared reading these reviews on the Simonton Windows installed by Home Depot, after I signed the deal, but I am pleased to say my experience with the installation and the quality of the windows was top notch! The installers took great care in my small home, making sure that nothing was broken and that it was clean when they left. They thoroughly insulated around the windows, I can feel the difference already. Two guys installed 6 double-hungs in 4 hours, and they were super nice. The windows seem great too... But sadly, I no longer have any excuse to not clean my windows, since they work so easily. Sorry for those of you who do not live in the great state of Maine... You would have received the service and quality expected from Home Depot.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

Absolutely worst experience with customer service. I started this wonderful endeavour on 09/19/2016 when I signed up on their website to receive a quote and consultation for blinds. I received a phone call later that day to schedule my appointment through their third party company. I scheduled my appointment for October 11th for 5pm-6pm. When the day finally came and no one arrived I gave them a call to see what the hold up was. When I first spoke with the absolutely pleasant woman on the other line she told me "we called you for a follow up, and you no longer wanted our service". Seeing as how I had absolutely no calls from anyone on this day I found that pretty amusing and told the woman that. She of course immediately had to put me on a brief hold.

She came back to tell me the scheduler she needed to speak with was on the other line and I needed to continue to hold. Anxious to know by this time Of course I continued to hold since at that point I've already wasted 15 minutes of my time. When the Woman came back the next time she told me "there was an issue with the DC and your appointment". At this time of course I was already flustered being told that someone called me which was a lie, and now there was an issue with the DC which no one informed me of. I asked to speak to a supervisor since I was now receiving two different stories both of which were out of my control and made no sense. After another 5 minute "Brief" hold I was on the phone with the scheduling manager. He informed me that the woman I had spoke to on September 19th was the wrong scheduler and scheduled me with the wrong department, of course apologizing and stating we should have followed up earlier.

At this point my blood had already boiled over and I asked him what follow up seeing as how now after missing the appointment I had to follow up with them. Still trying to gather the information and process if I would still consider their service I asked for their next available. I was told the following thursday between 2pm-5pm. I told him I would need 5pm-6pm which I already had in order to make it work. He said "the next available for that time frame would be the 7th of November". At that point I was baffled that not only they could fail with Customer service, but they could also care absolutely less about pleasing the customer. Instead of even trying to do something to resurrect poor communication and bad customer affairs they decide to and make me wait even longer. I would never recommend this company and frankly will never shop from them either because of this. If I could rate less than one star I would.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

On September 22, 2016 the installers came to install the windows that was charged to my account on the 8th of Sept. over $3500.00. The installers said the window area was not measured properly, therefore, the windows would not fit as they were supposed to. They jammed them in and used a lot of caulk to cover up the discrepancies. The windows look different from outside and just look wrong. I have tried to have The so called supervisors come and look and have them done properly but no one calls back or comes to date. Tried calling the store #3504 and corporate and got a runaround. No one wants to stand behind their products at Home Depot and I am very disappointed in their lack of care to their customers.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

I purchased windows from Home Depot in May 2016. The windows were installed at the end of June 2016. However, they ordered the wrong window for my family room and I was left with a white window while the rest of my windows were beige. I was advised my window would be in a few weeks. The window was finally installed at the end of August. After installing the window, they used the wrong color caulk. I had to make many calls for someone to come out and use the right caulk. The guy came out and basically wiped some new caulk over the old.

Additionally, the window does not close properly and there is caulk left on the siding of the house. I have called the manager of the local store and he just handed me off to someone in the Kansas City Office (who has never once returned a phone call). So now I am left with caulk on my siding, a half ass caulk job and a window that doesn't close properly and HOME DEPOT DOES NOT CARE! I have always used Lowes and I will never use Home Depot again. Absolute worst customer service experience ever! After spending over 7k, you would think they would want to ensure their customers had a positive experience.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

I wanted Andersen windows. I had Home Depot come to my home and the salesman said that Andersen made vinyl windows and they are wonderful (Simonton). I said, "No, I really want the original Andersen windows." He begged me to let him show me the sample. OK... They sounded and looked fine... No staining, etc., to be done. The first three windows (a year ago) were installed and so far they're good. (Double hung, single windows.) In July I ordered two more sets but this time double hung on either side of stationary windows... for two rooms. When the order was first delivered, the installer said the squares were wrong and didn't even take them out of the truck. They had to be returned. Next delivery... no good, again. Third delivery trim was no good and one of them, on the bottom, isn't there.

Installer also said that the weather stripping on one would have to be replaced because it wasn't put in right at the factory. (They're all supposed to be inspected!!) One evening, watching TV, it became windy and suddenly howling began in one of the double hungs. Just like a pack of wolves! Rep. came after we called and he said they'd have to be re-wrapped. That was 3 weeks ago. Still waiting. BUT... and this is the kicker... at 4 AM this morning, (9/13/2016) I was awakened by HOWLING in my bedroom which isn't the one that has the howling I called Home Depot about originally. I couldn't believe it. Now there's no point in doing anything with the first window because it's obvious that this is a Simonton Window problem and not just a fluke! I lost hours of sleep. I'm still trembling from anger and disappointment.

We're talking about several thousand dollars here. Not just a can of paint for $20. I gave a down payment and the balance is being held until this is taken care of. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm extremely sorry that I didn't go to a local business instead of a monolith like Home Depot. The only receipt I have is for the down payment.

Original review: June 21, 2016

During the sales process, the Home Depot rep with not provide me with a written proposal which made it very difficult to compare the windows they were installing and the work they would perform. I wish I had seen this site prior to deciding to go with HD based on my years of good experience of shopping in their stores. In fact, we spent upwards of $50,000 at our local store last year alone while refurbishing our new condo. HD's price was about 25% more expensive, but we opted for that since we trusted them... BIG MISTAKE!

One area that I wanted to make sure that I was getting what others showed in writing was the fact the windows would be Energy Star certified. The salesman promised on the phone twice that the manufacturer would ship windows for our job that were Energy Star certified. I should have gotten that in writing as I did not learn until AFTER the windows were installed that they are not. The windows are energy star certified for states south of where we live in Pennsylvania. I have tried calling Home Depot and they just keep referring me back to the sales rep that is now saying that he only stated that the windows were energy efficient. The local store will not help me as they say that it is a different division. Thanks HD for ripping us OFF!

Home Depot expert review by Joseph Truini

With more than 2,000 locations, Home Depot  an established do-it-yourself home-improvement store  with a vast inventory.

• Assurance of quality: Users will have the peace of mind that comes from doing business with a nationally-recognized brand known for its high-quality products. Home Depot sells vinyl, aluminum and wood windows from several manufacturers, including Andersen, Jeld Wen, American Craftsman and Tafco. They also carry an extensive line of doors, including exterior entry doors, interior room doors, sliding patio doors, storm doors, screen doors and French doors.

• Unusual selection: Users who need an unusually-shaped door/window or a product made from a non-standard material can often find it at Home Depot.

• In-store appointments: Consumers can meet with representatives at their local Home Depot to review product selection, discuss their needs, ask about pricing and financing and find the right products.

• How-to articles: Owners can browse articles on this company's website to learn how to install doors and windows themselves.

• Alarms available: Owners can purchase alarms and security systems as well as doors and windows.

• Best for: Home Depot is best for homeowners, do-it-yourselfers, condo owners, landlords and business owners.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Home Depot Windows Company Information