Home Depot Windows
Based on 128 reviews that contain star ratings

Home Depot Windows & Siding

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

179 Home Depot Windows Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I had Home Depot install 2 kitchen windows. I asked that they replace any rotten wood on the sill and the entire old metal frame. They included this extra work, at a higher installation price. During the kitchen installation I was able to see that the sills were not rotten and that all the metal frame was removed. When I had Home Depot do a second job for a bedroom window, I was given an estimate. When I requested the rotten wood sill replacement and the entire metal frame replacement, the installation price went up by about $350. When Home Depot did the 2nd installation, they did not remove any sill wood, so nobody could tell if the wood was rotten underneath, and they left the metal around the window.

When I tried to get a refund of the $350, Home Depot ignored me for months, even though I repeatedly requested the refund. They finally called and said that they did the work on the 2nd installation, which was not true. So, never pay anything extra for installation of a window from Home Depot, because it might never get done, and you cannot get your money back on installation work that was never done.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

We initially hired Home Depot for siding in May of 2018. They said work would begin July. July goes by, August goes by, phone calls are unanswered. Finally ready to start in September. Contractor shows up. Wrong materials were ordered. Wait weeks for correct materials, more unanswered phone calls. Then we find out the person who did the estimate got the job wrong, going to be 3500 more. And need new materials. Now it's October. Waiting for materials. Phone call after phone call goes ignored. Job finished in mid-December. Then guess what, wrong parts for vents ordered. Have to wait for those parts. It's now February and job still not complete and still cannot get anyone on the phone. Absolute scam. Will never go through Home Depot again. You cannot get any answers. They kept telling us the manager would call but never ever heard back.

Get expert buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Back in 2011, I hired Home Depot Home Services to replace windows on my house, after the salesperson bragged about the double-life warranty. I was hesitating to use them because the company was (and is still) not known to have a reputation of quality. But the double life warranty, meaning not only me but also the next owner of the house is covered for product defects or shoddy install, convinced me to use them. After signing the contract, everything went from bad to worse. It turns out that they don’t have their own trained install crews, but subcontracting the project out to apparently any warm bodies they could find.

The guy, who came installing the windows, couldn’t do additions and subtractions at all to get the measurements right. He managed to causing so much damage to the sidings, not to mention the poor fitting with gigantic gaps between window frames and the walls, that the Home Depot project manager felt ashamed and had another crew to fix it up.

Anyway, I consoled myself with their double life warranty. Last year, I got my chance to really test it. Sadly, the experience has been really bad. The lock mechanism stopped working on some windows. After several calls to the Home Depot customer Service line, I finally got to receive a visit from an estimator early October 2018. The manager didn’t like what the estimator’s repair proposal, squeezed down the scale of the work, presumably to save the cost. I was ok as long as I could get the windows work. They would order parts for replacements. Almost three months had passed did I receive any package of parts or heard anything from them. They’re really a patient bunch. I called during my Christmas break to find out why nothing had happened. They didn’t know anything but left a message to the project manager, Chris ** and informed that I would be contacted. Nothing happened.

I called their customer services line two or three more time before being told they had ordered the parts. They couldn’t give me the track number of the package. It took me another call a few weeks later to find out the package has shipped. Anyway, the package finally arrive. Someone from Home Depot phoned to schedule the repair on 1/24/2019 at 1 pm. At 1 pm, no one showed up. I dialed back the number and was told that he couldn’t make it because of family emergency. Ok, who could blame family emergency. He agreed to come a week later on 2/1/2019 at 1 pm.

This morning I sent the guy a text message to remind him of the appointment. Then two hours later I left him a voice message after not hearing any acknowledgement. An hour later he texted me back to inform me that he no longer works for Home Depot. I then called the Home Depot customer services line again. The rep answered my call with utmost professionalism. After a long read of the call logs, she tried to contact the project manager and could only manage to leave him messages. But she promised me that I should be contacted immediately. She gave me the manager’s direct number in case I didn’t hear anything again.

Having not heard anything from Home Depot, again, I called the manager’s line, but could only leave a voice message. I’m still waiting for Home Depot to call me, almost 2 hours later. I decided to share this experience out to help you all to avoid the mistakes I made. I will never purchase anything from Home Depot and I recommend everyone out there to do the same, for your own sanity.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

3 large window replacement in foyer of our house has been a nightmare. It took five appointments. First one the guy never showed up. The second the guy called 10 minutes before and said he couldn’t do it the third it rained. The fourth A different guy showed up. He was supposed to come at nine or 10. He didn’t come till 12. He was not prepared. He looked at it and discussed it. Told me how difficult it was going to be and then by that time he said it was too late in the day to do job. They scheduled me out another two weeks. Same guy showed up. Didn’t want to replace anything rotted. Did a horrible job. Was rude.

Soon after rains came the window leaked all down my wall outside over the porch end of the porch. All the stone siding was all wet. Cheryl the girl who was managing it seem to just go round and round with circles of what was wrong. Nothing was their fault. Nothing that they did could caused it. Horrible experience. Still have not worked out the details. Finally had called someone on my own to come and look over it to see what was wrong. We found where the problem was. They should’ve changed the rotted board and they should’ve caulk the top of the window which they did not.

In my opinion I would recommend that no one use their service at all for anything that’s Home Depot. Go and buy what you need but hire someone independently. This is been a nightmare. We still haven’t settled the issue and I really believe that the people who work there do not know what they’re doing. They have no clue how to run this company. It is a shame. The salesman absolutely knew that the sale was right that there were a couple of rotted pieces around the window and he assured me they could take care of it. Well he was the only one who was sure they could take care of it because Cheryl, the manager Lea, the guy who did it they didn’t even want to clean the windows when they left a total sham. One of the workmen told me if I gave him $55 cash he would wipe it clean. I explained to him, "I think that your job." I didn’t check enough reviews. I trusted my local Home Depot. I should have looked up more reviews.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Ordered 8 windows for my home May 19, 2018. Between issues with ordering then getting in the wrong windows we didn’t even start the install till July. The installers came in, put in the windows. Cracked a tile, stepped on plants, windows gouged, marks everywhere on the windows, missing screens, a Sash destroyed, a balancer broken so the window doesn’t work, and the mull bars scratched to where you see the metal.

It’s now Dec 27th and all that’s been fixed is the screens came in. Sent a letter to Corp in Atlanta. No response. Called and opened a case. No response. They call and say the parts in. Comes out to install. Nope wrong part. Call Corp. They say someone will call you back... Nope no return calls. HD wants me to sign a doc releasing them from any issues and they’ll give me 10% back...ummm. No not happening! I need more than 10%. Needless to say I will not be doing the rest of my windows with HD. NEVER AGAIN!!! But if I miss a payment on my CC...I’ll be in collections real fast! Who can I contact next about this? News? State Atty? I have a case # but that means nothing. I’m just another unhappy customer. May will be a yr. Let’s see if we can get there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I don't even know where to start. I ordered window coverings for my whole house. The order came to over $3,000. Almost 3 months later, delay after delay after delay... With blame on shipping, installation, sub-contractor's failure to pick up shipment etc., etc. and still no downstairs window coverings. Finally, the day of installation, the order was completely wrong, i.e., wrong measurements and the factory's failure to comply with the order measurements and instructions. None of the problems were the fault of the customer (me!) but Home Depot refuses to accept responsibility and wants a restocking fee of 25%! It's all there in black and white in the contract. I have been at least a 30 year customer and have ordered numerous appliances, doors, paint... Can't even name all the stuff I have bought. I will never give my business to this shoddy company in the future.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I wanted to get new windows in my home, I called to schedule someone to come out and go over everything. May 19, 2018 Bonnie came out and discussed everything, we purchased new windows - NOT cheap! The process started, measurements and more measurements, windows ordered. Then, it went downhill from there, wrong windows, no Saturday appts, lack of help, nothing came in correct, parts broken, no screens. You name it, there was an issue. Fast forward without the 2 million phone calls, emails, Text Messages any and every form of communications including... a certified letter to Corp. office. We are now at DEC 3rd, 2018 and we get a phone call saying that a person (Jim) will be out to fix all issues with my window including putting in a new Sash and hopefully to fix the gouges/scratches on the centerpiece, which they claim you can paint.

SEVEN months later and my windows will be completed. SEVEN! No reply from Corp at all... no phone call - letter. NOTHING! Home Depot does not care at all about you... Not one bit. I will NEVER do business with them again! NEVER! They have offered a 10% refund on my purchase, Yup, only 10%. It's a nice gesture to try and shut you up, but 10%??? You are better off going with a independent company & have them done in a month. I thought I would be better with a bigger company and Bonnie the lady that sold the windows, was wonderful. But after that, it's been a horrible 7 months! And for the corp. office not to reply? HORRIBLE! They don't care, DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM FOR SUB-CONTRACTING WORK! THEY ARE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I had to call for one year to get a refund on my shutters, and I still haven't received it. They constantly avoided my calls. The manager, Cindy, was absolutely incompetent and unreliable. I have been lied to a number of times just to placate me, but then nothing ever materialized. I have been on hold for 30 minutes every time I try to talk to Cindy or a manager. I can't remember a time when I had this much difficulty with a company. If I could give them a negative rating, I would. I had two supervisors come out to inspect my complaints about the quality of the shutters I received, and they both agreed the installment was extremely poor. I had 5 shutters in all just break off. Home Depot told me they would refund me after contesting this issue for a year, and then they wouldn't call me back. I am going to have to take them to court.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Please do not use Home Depot installation of siding. Never do a project loan with them either. 6 months later, no siding. Still getting the runaround. Now have to fight for my refund. Extremely Poor service. DO NOT USE THEM!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

The only reason I gave them 1 star is because there isn't anything lower. After 9 additional weeks of waiting for installation and being lied to and laughed at by the most unprofessional and discourteous group of folks I've ever encountered, I contacted the main office. I was told that I would get a full refund ($1,900.00) and a $100 gift certificate but after several weeks the person I spoke to will not return my calls/emails. Seems I've been lied to by the Home Office as well. At least they are consistent.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Paid $4400 for 6 windows. 5 out of 6 windows had cold air blowing through the cracks around the windows. Never caulked around them. No trim replaced and sash was never replace properly. Very disappointed with customer service... Always got voicemail and never a callback. Should have paid more attention to reviews... Omaha Nebraska.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

One of the worst experiences dealing with a company. Ordered windows about 2 months ago. After waiting 6 weeks for the windows to come in, I was told that Home Depot cannot install the windows because they cannot get an installation permit from Summit County, CO. The customer services has been extremely unhelpful. They do not return calls. Asked to speak to a manager and they never called me back. I'm beyond frustrated with the lack of communication, action and responses from Home Depot. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH Home Depot.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Wasted our time. The first time the crew showed up to install, they had the wrong sized windows and the wrong color. Second time the crew came to install the windows they forgot to bring the windows. Third time the crew never showed up nor did they contact the Building Inspector who left them a $50 fine. At this point we cancelled the project and are waiting for our refund. Morons.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I'm writing this for anyone that is considering using Home Depot installation services. I've always been a big supporter of keeping home improvement work as local as possible. I reached out to local blinds vendors in the Little Rock area and unfortunately not everyone is great about email (I'm at sea a lot so I have to do things electronically.) I gave in and went to Home Depot. The staff in the windows and blinds area were extraordinary and I have no problem with that side of things "but" Home Depot uses a 3rd party contract "service" out of somewhere in TX to handle the install around the country & that alone creates communications breakdowns because they don't know the local sources, they just bid it out and accept anyone that says they can do it.

I started the order in October of last year & right now it is still not complete but I'm getting email traffic from Home Depot saying, "Congratulations. Your order is complete." My father wrote out a complaint to HD hq & lo and behold they passed it on to the local HD staff rather than taking responsibility, offering any kind of condolences or even asking what they can do to improve. It's that corporate world mentality that will keep me away from any major purchases from them ever again.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

We had all our old windows replaced with Simonton 6500. The window in the bedroom constantly collects condensation between the upper and lower window in the winter - a service guy told us it was because there is a heat vent right below the window. Umm, then why don't any of the other bedroom windows do this? They all have heat vents below the windows. Two of the windows so far have had the pivot cam fall to the bottom when tilting in the bottom sash for cleaning. This results in the window not closing properly, nor will they lock. We had no idea how to fix this, so we went for over a week with unlocked windows in our house until a repair guy could come out!! To add insult to injury, the last repair guy told us just to "remove the entire window" for cleaning instead of tilting it in!! We would never, ever recommend these windows to anyone. Buyer beware!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Warning: Home Depot charges more than twice as much money for the same, exact product! The company’s Merritt Island, FL store quoted me $16,200.00 for 9 PGT-brand impact-resistant windows that I am now purchasing from a legitimate, state-licensed and certified window contractor for just over $7,000.00. Plus, my qualified, family-owned contractor is replacing a narrow picture window that Home Depot’s rude and unqualified in-home sales representative claimed could not be acquired from PGT, or any other vendor. (He was too lazy to call the manufacturer.) By the way, Sears quoted over $13,000.00 for the same job.

Moral: Avoid Big Box Retailers masquerading as legitimate home improvement contractors. They will charge you double, then turn around and sub-contract the work out to some who-knows-who installer. If Home Depot’s sales reps are so poorly trained, and the company is so greedy that it marks up its jobs over 100%, imagine who they will send out to do the installation. Get informed: Take 2-3 bids from local, licensed window and home improvement contractors. Support your local, independent and certified home improvement providers, not greedy corporate behemoths looking to increase their stock values on the backs of unsuspecting homeowners.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I bought the hurricane-proof windows from Home Depot back in February or 2018. My house has several windows which are a little over 2 inches wider than the largest standard size, and I was billed for windows which would fit the openings. In the end of April the installation crew came and began installing the windows. I was around at the beginning however I had to work and was not present the whole time. When the time came to install the windows for the wider openings, the crew installed standard size windows with gaps of over an inch on each side. They filled the gaps with pieces of WOOD and FOAM!!!

They left the windows in this state, with no cover on the inside and left. I was billed for the full amount and no one ever showed up to fix what was done. I've spent countless hours on the phone only to hear "Someone will get in touch with you within two days" and "I'm sorry but your installation manager is not available at this time"... and how about "I will try to see what is the status of your installation but it will take me at least a week."

And how about the installation manager... not picking up his phone, not answering messages, and when I ask the support people to dial him in he just says "I'm sorry but I'm with a client. I'll have to call you back later." which is just a nice way to say "I'm sorry but I'm busy scamming other people so please wait for your turn and I promise I'll screw you over real good next!"

They left the windows unfinished because they need to pass city inspection before they're finished on the inside. The inspection cannot pass because they were installed in violation of the permit. It's now the end of July and I still have not been able to get anyone from Home Depot to do anything about it. My next steps are reporting the violation to the city and filing a lawsuit against the Home Depot.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Wanted to custom order some window blinds for my house. The rep was tending to a customer who appeared to be checking out a cart full of items unrelated to window coverings (grout, tools, wallboards, etc.). After standing in front of his desk for a good 15-20 min., the customer he was tending to needed some screws for his wall boards of which he proceeded to the hardware department to get his screws. Without completing the checkout and allowing the customer to search for his screws, I don’t know how long this would add to my wait. What I don’t understand is why was this customer allowed to check out in the window coverings department instead of standing in line at the checkout counters like everyone else? The rep could only blurt out that I was next and that he was the only one available to tend to customers.

After waiting for another 10 to 15 min., the customer he was tending to had not returned with his screws and complete his checkout. My frustration was that the rep could have completed the checkout process so he can take my order which I think could have just taken 10 min. to do. Instead he had me wait for the customer to return. I did not want to wait any longer than what I’ve experienced already. Who knows when the customer will finally come back and complete his checkout? I know I am only one customer but Home Depot here in Marysville, WA lost my trust and confidence!

Original review: July 2, 2018

VantagePointe Windows by Simonton - Initially we were ok with the replacement of our windows with new vinyl windows. The installer did a poor job caulking around the trim and we had to mention it while he was here and fix it. It's been 6 mos and the caulking has continued to shrink and change color which looks horrible since the windows are white and the caulk is now yellowish brown. There is also mold growing in some places. I have called four times, each time being promised by customer service that someone would call back right away. To this date, no one called me back and I am super irritated. Their windows cost us over $24,000 and our house now has a problem that Home Depot created. With the rain we get here in Georgia, I do not appreciated paying that much to get leaky windows. Apparently they don't care. DO NOT make the same mistake by going with Home Depot.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I ordered an area rug from homedepot.com on May 7th, 2018. After 2 weeks I called them to find out how much longer it would be for arrival. The order stated it was ready for pickup at my local store. The local store said they never received it. Someone at the store signed it off as received when it wasn't. A new rug was ordered for me (by them) and it finally arrived on June 5th, 2018 (almost 30 days). Still too long for a delivery. I order a curtain rod from them on June 11, 2018 and it arrived on June 20, 2018. In today's day and age, with 1 and 2 day delivery from competitors, how does Home Depot expect to keep customers with 9-30 day deliveries? Where is the CEO when it comes to this?

I ordered (I know, why do I keep ordering from them?) 3 sets of mini blinds so I could put up new blinds in a house I was moving out of in 2 weeks. The online site said they had 4 sets in stock at my local store, "WOO HOO I would be able to pick them up today and install them!" WRONG. The store calls me and says "I'm sorry, we only had 1 in stock so I canceled your other 2 items." I said "Will you be getting any more in stock?" She said "Yes, probably on June 22nd." I said "Why did you cancel my order then instead of asking me if I wanted to wait for them??" UGH!!! She said I could call back on the 22nd and see if they got them in. Terrible customer service was my experience, and it's too bad because they are normally a decent store. The CEO really needs to read these reviews and start training employees to do the right thing and SPEED up their delivery service.

Original review: May 13, 2018

VantagePointe Windows and Doors by Simonton - Under the intense southwest heat, my 2 window frames (windows for which I paid Home Depot $3200.00) have severely warped. To date, Home Depot has been contacted 8 times since January/2017 and this has not yet been fixed. By the way, their idea of a fix is to remove the outside trim and replace it with 3/4" imitation wood typically used on decks. Aesthetically not pleasing and certainly not what I paid for!!! Service technicians are polite, but honestly, the last one had such poor English I couldn't make out what he was saying. Three technicians have come by and taken pictures, and to date, nothing from Home Depot.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I use to love Home Depot. We have bought a lot over the years with them. Until it came to our windows. We paid over $5,000 for 5 windows in May of 2016 and they finally got it right in 2018. We are in Fort Myers beach so weather was never an issue. The problem was they never fit. After countless phone calls and remeasurers and installer after installer coming out to the house, it finally was done right. I have dealt throughout the years with Greg **, Melvin **, Install manager, Justin **, Install Manager. And they all said they would take care of it. But same stuff different day with all of them. Have had 7 different people out to measure the one window that they could never get right. Over 5 different install companies out to install it, just to find out the measurements were wrong again. They kept sending out the same window measurements that were wrong in the first place.

We have had to cancel Dr. appts, and different events just to wait and stay home to have more measurements and installs. Justin even came out himself to try to get it resolved but that didn't even work. The installers they kept sending were all great. They refused to put in a window that was way too small. You could see outside of the side of it, that's how bad and small it was. Home Depot didn't get their act together when it came time to make the window.

Since all this, we have needed a washer and dryer. Normally we would have gotten it from Home Depot, but with all the YEARS of trying to get this right we were pretty gun shy. So we went to Lowe's. The installer we had last was great. He made sure that they got it right this time. Jeffrey from Catalyst was great. Didn't even get an, "We are sorry for the mess we put you through from Home Depot." We were hoping the new Head of Home Depot Andrew ** would have contacted us, but no word. When home depot customer service kept calling to ask if we were satisfied, I kept saying no and would explain the problem, but never heard back from anyone there either. I guess once they have your money, that's as far as the caring goes. So just BEWARE if you are ordering windows from HOME DEPOT. Unless you have a FEW YEARS TO GET YOUR WINDOWS RIGHT.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Poor windows installation job, my siding was damaged and add some scratch. Damaged plastic around windows and patio door (J channel, gap 0.25 inch). Poor silicon Caulking job, They put silicon on top of dirt. Home Depot refuse to fix it. Manager told me: "You have too much expectation." I paid real money $15650.00 - not fake money! I going to complain to Corporate office. Poor quality of Simonton Patio doors, Dirty windows, a lot of silicon, not good plastic welding spots, Patio door screen do not close and cannot lock door. More than week- nobody respond. Not recommend to use Home Depot and Simonton plastic windows and patio doors.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Anyone who has ever needed replacement windows knows how many sources for custom replacement windows of one kind or another are available. All seem to be custom factory windows and very expensive. Comparing window cost to standard size windows available at a large box stores like Home Depot or Lowe's, for example, shows a huge difference in cost between a store window and a "custom window" even for a standard size. A 24" x 48" double hung vinyl replacement window, for example, would be in the $150.00 range purchased from the store while a similar size window from any replacement window company would be double, triple or even quadruple the price. Of course, separating the price of the window from the labor is often very difficult.

I contacted Home Depot window installation through a local store and discovered to my dismay and frustration that the approved HD installation company only installs custom windows, not those from the Home Depot store. In other words you can get an installer to install custom windows or you can get a HD approved installer to install custom windows, all at the custom window inflated price. Again, the window price in the store is approximately $150.00 per window and the installation price from any source is in the $450.00 to $800.00 range per window. For a large 48" x 48" picture window the in store price is approximately $250.00 range while the same replacement window from an installer is in the $1,500.00 range using a "custom window".

The Home Depot installer will not use a standard size window brand from the store saying, "we choose to only use custom windows", so HD approved installer will not install the many brands available from the store. This points strongly to how deceptive the replacement window business is and why so many companies are always pounding down your door to do business. Yes, for the myriad of replacement window companies, this is a very profitable business. Most customers are not aware how much the prices are being inflated when compared to the price of the window itself. Customer be aware.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I am a professional builder. I ordered a whole house full of replacement windows (Simonton's vinyl windows) for a project, approximately $25,000.00. One window cracked. Home Depot would not respond to a replacement request even though there was a lifetime guarantee. I bought and installed a replacement, over $500.00. It hung up my project for months. Never again.

Original review: April 20, 2018

We had a Home Depot person come over on 2.14.18 to get a quote for all of our windows! All 8 windows! The salesperson is really just that. Promised us all 8 windows would come and be installed no later than 10 weeks! And said it can all be done in one Saturday. Tried to reach him to ask what’s going on and if we can cancel. No response at all. Like he never existed. Had multiple issues with the representative who’s suppose to schedule our installation to find out that they can’t make it happen in 1 Saturday.

Finally she got us a schedule for tomorrow 4.21.18 and TODAY 4.20.18 she calls to say they have to cancel since there’s a warehouse issue! When I just spoke to her yesterday to confirm tomorrow’s installation! And to top it off, the next appointment is not able till May 12th! This is just so frustrating. We could have easily found other quotes but we choose Home Depot because we were suckered in by the sales representative making promises this was going to be smooth installation. Please help me!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

This has nothing to do with this product, but the customer service provided by Home Depot. DO NOT get windows from Home Depot. It's been 5 months since we started our project, and they still have not completed the work. They came out the first time to install, and 2 of the windows were the wrong size; not even close -- the installer said like 6" off. They ordered new windows that we had to wait to be installed. No one ever got back to us. Months of emails and phone calls, complaining to the sales person, emails to Customer Care and nothing.

3 months later they finally came back and installed 1 of the 2 windows... the 2nd one? Wrong size again. Now 2 more months and I'm again emailing and calling, leaving messages with the installers, pleading with the sales person, emailing customer service. Nothing. Project still not completed. It's obvious that they received their money and so don't care about completing our project or doing what was promised to us.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I’m writing a review to let people know what a terrible experience we’ve had with Simonton Windows and Patio Doors and Home Depot Installation Services. We had eight windows and two patio doors replaced. The original installation in September of 2017 went well, the windows seem to function good but the patio doors really leave a lot to be desired. The bottom track in the patio door actually rusted and the door and screen door were extremely hard to open and shut. After a couple of service call, replaced track and adjustments it seemed to work fine until the first sub-zero weather we had, the patio door actually froze shut. There was thick ice in the bottom track and frost on our woodwork along the side of the stationary door. Once we finally got the door open there was very thick frost/ice on the side track of the sliding door.

After repeated trips to Home Depot with pictures of the ice and frost they sent the photos to customer service at Simonton. Simonton decided that there was no visible product defect present. They said they were seeing frost condensation and they don’t warranty against condensation, the door is operating as it should. Apparently, they expect their door to freeze shut in colder weather. While I totally understand about condensation and humidity the inside glass showed no moisture and the humidity level in the house was 27% or less. I wish the door would have come with a warning label stating it will not function well in cold temperatures!

We have repletely questioned the actual installation of the door. We have heard just about every excuse that they can think of and everyone that’s been involved seem to think that this is normal. I don’t understand how they can tell anything about the installation from pictures. Home Depot actually sent a couple of contractors out. The first one stated that the ice and frost buildup was because there was a deck outside of the door, another stated that it was because the door was installed near the kitchen area. Not one person has actually check to see if the door is insulated properly. We have heard just about every excuse that would cause the door to freeze shut and no one seems to recognize that this could be a safety hazard. This has been a very expensive mistake working with Home Depot and their “professional” installation service and Simonton Windows and Doors.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

First we will start with the fact that none of my "installation managers" were ever reliable and were/are extremely hard to reach. They would often not return my calls or emails. Second, I had to be the driving force to get my windows measured in which the representative kept me waiting all day and finally showed up just before dark. Then about a month after the measurement I had to continue to call Home Depot's customer care line just to get a set install date, which was a month after the promised date.

Fast forward to now, three of my rear windows are a half inch too short and are shimmer with wood and caulk and one is broken at the interior frames weld. You would think Home Depot could correct this matter? No, they definitely do not care! I have perused every avenue with no avail for three months now to try to solve this problem and nobody seems to even show the slightest concern or put forward any effort to help me. When reaching out to the financial side of the house I was told that my financing contract is not dependent of the windows being installed correctly...which means basically you keep paying to be treated like dirt. Never let Home Depot Exteriors touch your home! Buyer Beware!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Wow! My husband and I were dreading the day we needed new vertical blinds cut for our custom window. Each blind needed to be a different length. Fortunately, we were at the Cañon City, CO Home Depot at the right time for Christopher to assist us with this endeavor. With his "can do" attitude and skill we were in and out within an hour. He's just one of those customer service guys that is enjoyable to be around and he made every effort to make sure we were satisfied ie. staying after his scheduled time-off, and guaranteeing his work. It is refreshing to experience that level of customer service as that is not always the case.

Home Depot expert review by Joseph Truini

With more than 2,000 locations, Home Depot  an established do-it-yourself home-improvement store  with a vast inventory.

• Assurance of quality: Users will have the peace of mind that comes from doing business with a nationally-recognized brand known for its high-quality products. Home Depot sells vinyl, aluminum and wood windows from several manufacturers, including Andersen, Jeld Wen, American Craftsman and Tafco. They also carry an extensive line of doors, including exterior entry doors, interior room doors, sliding patio doors, storm doors, screen doors and French doors.

• Unusual selection: Users who need an unusually-shaped door/window or a product made from a non-standard material can often find it at Home Depot.

• In-store appointments: Consumers can meet with representatives at their local Home Depot to review product selection, discuss their needs, ask about pricing and financing and find the right products.

• How-to articles: Owners can browse articles on this company's website to learn how to install doors and windows themselves.

• Alarms available: Owners can purchase alarms and security systems as well as doors and windows.

• Best for: Home Depot is best for homeowners, do-it-yourselfers, condo owners, landlords and business owners.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Home Depot Windows Company Information