2. Elder Care
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.76/5

Harmar manufactures home and vehicle accessibility lifts. It offers a wide variety of products, including stair lifts, automobile lifts and platform lifts, through local Harmar dealers. You can find out which lift is right for your situation by taking the company’s vehicle compatibility quiz.

BOTTOM LINE

Harmar makes innovative accessibility lifts for home, vehicle and hybrid use. Its pricing isn’t listed on the website, but you can get cost info from a local dealer. Its compatibility calculator helps find the right lift for your car.

PROS

• Helpful website and online resources
  • Conveniently sized products
  • Large selection

CONS

• Available only from dealer partners

Top Harmar Mobility Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harmar?

I'm very familiar with chairlifts and I can recommend Harmar to anyone. We would recommend Steve to anyone as well. He was wonderful. He worked diligently when he installed our chairlift and when he left, it was spotless…. The features are all wonderful…

… My husband contacted someone and they came out and talked to us… There was no mess at all. You couldn't even tell he had been here. It was perfect. My husband uses the Harmar stairlift and it's working fine for him. He is very happy and it's changed his thinking about life, so it's wonderful…

Harmar Mobility Call Now Toll Free (888) 361-8995 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

What is Harmar?

Harmar is a leading manufacturer of accessibility lifts for wheelchairs, scooters and power chairs. Harmar offers high-quality products, including vertical platform lifts, automobile lifts and stair lifts, that meet a wide variety of mobility needs.

How does Harmar work?

Harmar helps you determine which type of accessibility lift suits you or your loved one. Its website offers detailed descriptions of mobility products and how they can keep you safe and comfortable. Here's a brief look at its selection:

• Home lifts are conveniently sized to assist people with stairways. Harmar offers several kinds of home lifts, including straight and curved stairlifts. It also sells platform lifts for wheelchairs, which are ideal for both outdoor and indoor access.
  • Vehicle lifts can be installed inside or outside the vehicle. Inside lifts are mounted inside the cargo area (or trunk) and swing out to load a chair or scooter into the car, and outside lifts attach to a vehicle’s hitch to secure and carry the device behind an automobile. The company also offers hybrid auto lifts.

All Harmar stair lifts include built-in safety features that keep a lift from moving if any part of it’s out of place.

Visit the company’s website to request a quote. A Harmar dealer will contact you and send an assessor to evaluate your home and recommend the right lift.

Harmar stair lift prices

Harmar offers several different mobility lift models — outdoor and indoor, heavy-duty and light, straight and curved — so its prices range from around $2,000 for at-home stairlifts to $12,000 for outdoor lifts. If you have further questions about the company’s pricing, you can get a free quote on the Harmar website.

Harmar FAQ

Does Harmar offer installation services?
Yes, Harmar partners with experts to install your home or vehicle lifts.
What kinds of accessibility lifts does Harmar offer?
Harmar offers lifts for vehicles and stair lifts for the home.
Can I buy a Harmar lift directly from its site?
No. To purchase a Harmar lift, you’ll need to contact a local dealer.
Do Harmar lifts come with a warranty?
Yes, Harmar offers warranties for all its lifts. Your Harmar dealer will take care of any warranty services.

Is Harmar worth it?

Harmar’s innovative motorized lifts are likely worthy investments if you want to ensure the safety of your loved ones in wheelchairs, scooters or power chairs. These lifts are durable, conveniently sized and need little maintenance, and the company’s online tools can help you find the right automobile or stair lift for your needs.

Harmar Mobility Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harmar Mobility?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harmar?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I have problems with my legs and I should have had a stairlift years ago, but couldn't do it then. My husband was living then and he would help me up and down the steps. But then he died in April and I had no one to help me, so I had to go on and get one. I have it now and I love it. My former boss' daughter handles all the business for her mother, and she's the one that told me about Harmar Mobility. I called them and I am very pleased with them.

The initial visit was done by the owner of the company. He took his time. He was here three hours, and we got things straightened out. Where the chairlift had to be put on that wall at the bottom on the first floor, there's the door for the garage. Therefore, the railing could not go all the way down and stay down, it had to have a railing made where when I pushed the chair back up, it would go up to allow the door to open. And that has been a blessing for me. Also, I liked I didn't have to pick out the color of the cushion for the chair. The owner picked everything out when he came. It just blended beautifully. I am very pleased with the company that sold me that chairlift.

The whole chairlift is a favorite for me. Because when I go up the steps, and then I wanna get around, there's a lever that I push down and the chair can swing, and then I make sure it's locked in place, then I can get off chair and go on about my business on that second floor. And when I'm ready to go back downstairs, I get back into that seat, push the lever so it goes back in the way it's supposed to ride down the rail, and I'm okay. I have been trying to refer the company to other people who have told me that they need chairlifts.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

The reason why my husband needs a stairlift is because he has a bad heart. We did move to a new house so in order to have him enjoy the lower level of our home which is where we put his office in, he needed a means to get to it. We thought that maybe we could put in a pneumatic elevator into our home. Unfortunately, we don't have the space for that. They shared that we would have needed to have thought about that while the home was under construction so that they could rough-in all of that for an elevator.

When we found out that wasn't a possibility, our plan B was then to put in a stairlift which is one that didn't have to mount to the wall and that could be mounted onto the stairs themselves. Harmar Mobility could make it work and it was a lovely couple who came and installed it for us. We did have to have them come back one time because there was a clicking noise. They shared with us it that needed to have screws tightened just a tad. Now, there is no more noise. The guy was very knowledgeable about what the troubleshooting would be then came the next day to help us. The customer service is fabulous with them. During all this COVID, they were very much prepared. They were masked and we kept our distance.

We haven't had much company but the people who have been to our home said, “If we need that, we're gonna get the phone numbers." They were very intrigued by it. You can fold it up and it's very streamlined. You don't have to have a special width on your staircase. When it’s in its closed or put away position, it doesn't interfere with anything. If I had a box, I could put it on the chair and send it down so I wouldn't have to worry about tripping or falling down the steps myself. I haven't had to use it in that regard but it is also another safety piece for people like me. It will come in handy if I have those moments. We love the stairlift and it matches what we have going on. We knew in advance so we had the electrician put in a plug in for it. Nobody sees the plug. It's a great addition and it's a needed addition to our homes.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

My wife has mobility problems, and she couldn't get to the basement. I got a Harmar by a referral from a friend. I am 66 years old and my boy scout leader is 91 and I do a lot with his son. I was talking to him when he said his dad's got one of those stairlifts. We went over to my friend's house and took a look at it. I told my wife it was what we needed and she agreed that it would work for us. Harmar Mobility is the company that manufactures the stairlift while Highland is the one that's selling their product. The people out of Highland that we dealt with were very proper. Everything was smooth. I called them, they came out, we interviewed, and we set it up. They put the stairlift unit in inside the house, and it goes straight to the basement. Everything was great and

To someone who has a narrower-than-mine stairwell though, if they were figuring things out and if they were down to the last couple of inches of feasibilities, the brochure makes reference to what the thickness of the chair is as it's folded up. That dimension is an accurate number, but the caveat is that the unit sets three inches out from the wall. If someone measures their stairwell and says, “Well my stairwell is 34 minus 10 and a half. Okay, I got 23 and a half. That's enough.” it's marginal and then, they look at it after it's installed and say, “Whoa, how come I lost three or four inches here?" That was not a problem for me. I had enough stairwell and the thickness of the unit didn't matter to me, but it might affect someone else's calculations.

I like the thing and I already recommended it to friends. It's a fine piece and for what I need it for, it does fine. However, there's one little feature that they might someday look to develop or include. I have to take my foot and flip down the footpad and at that time in the process, the stairwell is vulnerable to falling down as I'm reaching forward. I wondered if Harmar had some way to make a latch release where you push the button on the top, and that would go down so that you didn't have to lean forward to push that footpad down. Other than that, I'm a satisfied customer. I can walk down the stairs three steps, turn around, and put the footpad up, or I can hold on to the handrail and lean over.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I called our local SAIL company, which is Southern Adirondack Independent Living. They gave me a couple of different names of local people who would install a chairlift because my grandmother was coming to live with me. I went through and took the local person, and they recommended this particular brand for what I needed in the space I had. The sales agent was very polite and courteous. He answered all my questions and he was very good. The installer then called up and said installing the chairlift would take him an hour or so. He came in with a partner and in it went. We had a nice, straight even run from the front door. It worked perfectly and he left.

Size-wise, the Harmar chairlift is very nice. It's narrower than I thought it was going to be. I like that it goes flat, and it looks good. I have a window in my stairwell and we discovered that the chair was half an inch too tall in the back of the seat when it's all folded up. We had to move it a smidgen away from the wall so it would bypass my window molding. Other than that, it was good. It would’ve been even closer to the wall and given me even more steps to go up and down. I've been very pleased and I wish I had put this in while my mom was sick and not just when my grandmother came to live with me.

My grandmother is comfortable being able to use the chairlift. It took her a little bit to figure out the buttons and knobs, but I appreciate that the chair tips at the top because our bedroom door is right at the top of the stairs. We usually leave the chair open and turned if she was gonna get in to it, and it blocks off the top of the stairs. If she feels uncomfortable doing anything, she already knows that she's not gonna fall down the stairs.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I've fallen on my stairs in the past. After the second knee replacement, I said that I can't keep doing this. I don't want to sell my house. My brother told me he has a Harmar and it was great. I went to the VA and I talked to my primary care and they set me up with occupational therapy and they determined that I needed a stairlift. The VA put the Harmar in and paid for it. Since I've had it, I've been able to easily get up and down my stairs. I'm able to still fold my laundry, put it in a laundry basket, and get it up those stairs. I can also get in my stairlift and I can run a lightweight vacuum cleaner and vacuum my floors. It has made life better and saved me from worrying about falling. Also, nobody else builds one that has a maximum of 350 pounds. Harmar has it and it's an excellent chair.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

The installer was very professional. At the beginning, they told me that they can refinance. But when we were ready to sign the contract, they changed their mind. They said no. So that was very rude and very unprofessional. That was lying to the customer. We did all the arrangement to do it and then on the last minute, we had to run and try to find the money, because I really need it.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

Harmar's reps were knowledgeable. We purchased a stairlift to make it easier for my wife to go downstairs. We're very pleased with what we got. It has given my wife access to the basement.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

We have an older person in the home who would struggle with going up and down our steps but live in the basement. Harmar was the choice of the provider that we worked with to install it, so I saw some videos about them online. The representatives that came out were very good and I didn't have any questions after they left. We've got a straight stairlift and it fits tightly against the wall. Since we have one that can fold up, we're still able to access the basement pretty easily.

We had a really good installer. He was very careful about everything. He was also thoughtful about how to set it up with the outlet because we have an odd place for the outlet. He did his best to get it set for us so that we had a place to plug it in. He took a good amount of time and even went over the second time because one of the adults in the house wasn't present the first time we talked about it. He went through it very patiently once again. My father's pretty overweight and it's held up well for him. We used it daily for my mom in the first several weeks after we had it so we've not had any issues.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

The Harmar stairlift is very handy. My older brother needs it to descend five-step stairs from the first floor to the side door, and then from there, to a wheelchair to the vehicle. He can get in the vehicle when he comes back. At the side door, we need the ramps to descend or ascend the wheelchair, and we have hand railings to help position him in the stairlift. There are two different devices. One is at the bottom of the device and one is at the top of the device, and it takes down so slowly and safely. It also has a footrest and it works very well. The man who sold it to me was a very nice man.

There were some extras needed. The door swung open going down the stairs so it had to be reversed so that the door would swing into the kitchen. All in all, the cost was around 6,000. But it's worth it. The quality of the stairlift was first class. It would be difficult for us to get to the lower level if it weren’t for the stairlift. My brother uses a wheelchair, so I take the wheelchair up to the stairlift. He transfers to the stairlift and then rides down. Then, I come around to the side door, up the ramp, and he gets into the wheelchair, and then we go out to the car. My brother can control the stairlift himself. There’s a safety belt and there’s room for his feet underneath. It's a very safe and functioning tool.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I'm on oxygen 7/24 and I'm in a wheelchair. We have a house with a walkout basement and we've all torn apart the upstairs. When we moved into the house, I could go up and down the stairs but it was kind of a slow process. We were all torn up out front. The only way to get in and out was downstairs. It was awful and I spent most of that summer downstairs. I slept there because I have a really comfortable recliner down there. I can't lay on the bed. It hurts my back because I have an old back injury. I'm 73. I had a bout with sepsis about a year and a half ago and was put in the hospital for several days.

I became eligible for Medicaid. I looked into things and saw that they would do things like home modification if that would help. I looked into it more, got the information, and got the approval for a Harmar stairlift. Someone came out to put it in and he was great. He was very forthcoming with information and was very pleasant and professional. We love the stairlift. It's wonderful and it has been a lifesaver. I'd recommend the stairlift to somebody else.

Harmar Mobility Company Information