2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts

4.8/5 (51 ratings)

About Harmar Mobility

Harmar manufactures home and vehicle accessibility lifts. It offers a wide variety of products, including stair lifts, automobile lifts and platform lifts, through local Harmar dealers. The company’s products come with a warranty, with terms varying by model. You can find out which automobile lift is right for your situation by taking the company’s vehicle compatibility quiz.

Pros

• Wide range of products
  • Online resources
  • Product warranties
  • Installation included

Cons

• Few lifetime warranties
  • Available only from local dealers

Bottom Line

Harmar makes accessibility lifts for home, vehicle and hybrid use. Its pricing isn’t listed on the website, but you can get cost info from a local dealer. Its compatibility calculator helps find the right lift for your car.

Top Harmar Mobility Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harmar?

Verified

The installer was amazing. He is the epitome of the way things ought to be done. He did everything in four hours. We have the Harmar stairlifts for both floors. Everything seems t...

Verified

The stairlift that we had before was an old iron horse. The Harmar stairlift is lighter weight but certainly strong enough to hold a person. I liked the fact that it can be called...

What is Harmar Mobility?

Harmar is a leading manufacturer of accessibility lifts for wheelchairs, scooters and power chairs. Harmar offers high-quality products, including vertical platform lifts, automobile lifts and stair lifts, that meet a wide variety of mobility needs.

Harmar Mobility sells its products through local dealers that conduct in-home consultations and install the lift for you. The company maintains a list of these dealers on its website through its ZIP code search tool.

Harmar Mobility products

The Harmar Mobility product line includes lifts and ramps for your home or vehicle, all with outdoor options.

Harmar manufactures six stair lift models, each varying in weight capacity, size, structure and safety features. Depending on the model, Harmar’s stair lift safety features include obstruction sensors, seat belts, interlocking seats and centrifugal overspeed brakes. The company’s warranties also vary by the model, but they typically last between one year and three years on select parts.

ModelWeight capacityStandout feature
SL600350 lbsFolds as narrow as 10.5”
SL300300 lbsLubrication-free
SL600HD600 lbsGood for bariatric users
SL350AC350 lbsAdjustable backrest and footrest
SL350OD350 lbsOutdoor model
CSL500350 lbsCurved model

Harmar vehicle lifts

Harmar Mobility’s vehicle lifts include:

• Outdoor lifts: Act as platform lifts for a vehicle.
  • Hoists: Mounted to the vehicle’s cargo area.
  • Hybrid vehicle lifts: Mounted inside the vehicle’s cargo area.

Harmar Mobility also sells and installs incline platform lifts, vertical platform lifts and ramps.

Harmar stair lift prices

Harmar offers several different mobility products, so its price range varies from a few hundred dollars to tens of thousands. Costs vary based on the model you choose and how complex the installation process is. Stair lifts for homes and vehicles that have unusual designs tend to cost more because they require a customized installation solution.

• Harmar stair lifts range from $2,000 to $12,000 or more, depending on the complexity of your stairwell.
  • The company’s vehicle lifts range from $1,000 to $2,000 or more.
  • Harmar’s platform lifts range from $1,900 to $11,000.
  • The company’s ramps typically range from $100 to $500.

If you have further questions about the company’s pricing, you can get a free quote on the Harmar website.

Harmar Mobility FAQ

Does Harmar offer installation services?
Yes, Harmar partners with experienced technicians to install your home or vehicle lifts.
What kinds of accessibility lifts does Harmar offer?
Harmar offers lifts for vehicles and stair lifts for homes.
Can I buy a Harmar lift directly from its site?
Though you cannot buy directly from Harmar’s website, you can obtain a free quote and be connected to a local dealer. The local dealer will set up an in-home consultation with you and sell, deliver or install your mobility product.
Do Harmar lifts come with a warranty?
Yes, Harmar offers warranties for all its lifts. Your Harmar dealer will take care of any warranty services.

Is Harmar worth it?

If you’re looking for mobility assistance, Harmar Mobility has options for a wide range of budgets and home or vehicle needs. Its products include stair lifts, vehicle lifts, platform lifts and ramps. The company has tools and information online to help you determine which product is best for your situation. Plus, it provides professional installation through local dealers. Harmar products come with a warranty, though the terms of the warranty depend on the product.

Harmar Mobility Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harmar Mobility?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harmar?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

My daughter told me about a fellow who could install the stair lift, and he had experience doing the stair lift. I did some research on the internet. And I called him, and I wtore down several ones I was interested in. And he said that Harmar is the best one he works on. He likes it better than any of the others that he services. He also said he rarely has to service them because they hold up so well.

And then, we looked at the different ones that Harmar offered. Harmar was the only one that had the weight capacity that would work for my husband. We ordered the one that had the larger weight capacity because my husband is a big man. The fellow that we talked to on the phone ordered it, and he came and installed it. We have been using it like crazy. We love it. It changed accessibility to our basement. I hadn't been down in our basement easily for 10 months. My knees are so bad that going down to the basement is very painful. And now, I go down there every single day. This changed everything.

I wish there was a way for the foot rest to be lifted up easier. There is no handle or anything you can grab on to, to lift the foot rest. You have to reach all the way down to grab the edge of the foot rest to lift it up. And it would be nice if there was something to make it easier to lift the foot rest up or down. Automated would be great. Even if a handle to grab on to, that automated would be awesome.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I bought an expensive chairlift from Harmar and had very good service from them. The conversation with their salesperson went smoothly, clearly, and quickly. That was paramount to me at the time. I was told that the whole set-up is guaranteed for life which was impressive. We're pretty old and maybe that's not such an abstract guarantee. They also said to call them any time. If anything quits working, they would fix it. At a time when we needed that kind of confirmation, that sounded good to us.

I bought the chairlift in May and it has been very satisfactory. As far as the operation goes, it's steady and it is reliable. The quality is top-notch too. One thing that bothered me a little bit in the beginning is the chair feels a little bit loose and flimsy. But I think that's just the way it is and I dismissed that concern. I'm pretty heavy and the chair has no trouble handling my weight. Also, if you consider that that chair is at a 90-degree angle to the rail, there's going to be some give when you sit on it.

Another concern I had was the rather rough bumping noises when the chairlift goes over the sections. At either end of the rail, there's a three-foot charge strip. As it enters the charge strip, it makes a noise. I called the representative and he said to just tighten up that screw. There's a little adjustment screw at the top, which puts more pressure tension on the entire rail. When I tightened up the tension screw, it took some of the noise out. I'm not too concerned about the noise now since the chairlift has continued to work perfectly. The chairlift also bumps pretty severely. The rails seem to be close and tight but nevertheless, it makes quite a bump when it goes over those connections. But I had gotten used to the bumping and thumping.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

We originally got the stairlift for my mother who didn't have the stamina to climb the stairs anymore. When she was living with us, it worked fine. Then there were a number of years where we didn't use it for anything other than to bring laundry up and down the stairs. Now, my wife and I both have back issues and I got bad knees. When I'm hurting, it's a relief to have it. I'm happy with it.

You would think for the price that it would be quality but there are more expensive models that I didn't know about. I had to get it repaired because nobody told me that it would break after five years. It started grinding away at the worm drive and it stopped. When I called the guy who originally serviced it, he isn't doing it anymore. He told me about this other guy and it took me a few tries to get ahold of him. Eventually, he came out and said, “Yep, it's broken. It's all one piece so you gotta get a whole new one.” The chassis and the worm drive had to be replaced and that cost 2,500 bucks. He also said that this is a common problem with the year model that I had which was a 2013 but they had fixed whatever that problem was in 2016.

The stairlift seems to be sturdy. However, the guy said that there's one problem with the switch harness ‘cause the switch can be put on either side of the chair. He said that the side that the switch isn’t on, like the upstairs side of the arm, we have to lift the arm when we get off the chair. He said you do that enough times, it can break then that gets into a non-repairable issue again. I’ve also gotten a couple of different things on the warranty. One said that it's a limited lifetime warranty. Somebody else said it was 10 years but somebody else said it was three years.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I have problems with my legs and I should have had a stairlift years ago, but couldn't do it then. My husband was living then and he would help me up and down the steps. But then he died in April and I had no one to help me, so I had to go on and get one. I have it now and I love it. My former boss' daughter handles all the business for her mother, and she's the one that told me about Harmar Mobility. I called them and I am very pleased with them.

The initial visit was done by the owner of the company. He took his time. He was here three hours, and we got things straightened out. Where the chairlift had to be put on that wall at the bottom on the first floor, there's the door for the garage. Therefore, the railing could not go all the way down and stay down, it had to have a railing made where when I pushed the chair back up, it would go up to allow the door to open. And that has been a blessing for me. Also, I liked I didn't have to pick out the color of the cushion for the chair. The owner picked everything out when he came. It just blended beautifully. I am very pleased with the company that sold me that chairlift.

The whole chairlift is a favorite for me. Because when I go up the steps, and then I wanna get around, there's a lever that I push down and the chair can swing, and then I make sure it's locked in place, then I can get off chair and go on about my business on that second floor. And when I'm ready to go back downstairs, I get back into that seat, push the lever so it goes back in the way it's supposed to ride down the rail, and I'm okay. I have been trying to refer the company to other people who have told me that they need chairlifts.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I would definitely recommend the person I worked with ‘cause we know the people you work with matter. He is honest, professional and efficient. He had a solid work ethic in terms of installing things and being willing to accommodate individual needs. Apart from installing the chairlift, he was also the one who initially talked to me with the estimate. He seemed very straightforward and he was able to fully answer all of the questions. It never felt like somebody was trying to hide information or not be upfront about what we could expect or what we'd be getting if we chose to have a chairlift installed. I did my research, so I really peppered him with questions. He was very competent, and it didn't feel like we were overpaying for what we were getting.

Harmar Mobility had a lower cost and decent quality and I paid for half of it. I live with my parents and I am helping take care of my mom. She fell and broke her leg and can't walk the stairs. Once the chairlift was installed, we've had zero issues. We use it once or twice a day. My dad has started using it as well ‘cause he got under the weather.

The only thing I ran into is my mom sometimes tries to use the controller on the armrest and can't fully operate it. Before the installation, we didn't know if there was a way to make an off switch on that button so that only the remote control would work as an option. I wish I could turn that off and use the remote so that my mom doesn't have to worry about being confused about how to work it in a situation. That's not a design issue though. That's just an operational challenge with who's sitting in the chair. We're still very happy with it. If it continues to work as well for many years to come, we more than got our money's worth.

Original review: March 5, 2021

I love Harmar and it has saved me a lot of steps. It's the nicest thing I could have ever gotten. I have an upstairs and a downstairs, the basement and the backyard, and I was running up and down the steps constantly. I have trouble with my knee and walking and this is wonderful. It's A-plus. We had trouble at first with the people that put it in. The guys didn't know how, but the big boss came and he took care of it. I have told all my neighbors to check it out. They know where to get it from.

Original review: March 4, 2021

The stairlift doesn't seem as sturdy to me as I thought it was going to be. It seems like there are a lot of movements in it. Once I purchased it at the beginning, they were pretty quick to get it here and install it. The installer was very good. However, the unit ended up failing after a few months of being installed. They had to come back out and replace the whole chassis. When it had to be replaced, they said they had to keep waiting for parts so it wasn't a quick fix. It was probably 10 days. Luckily, they got here before someone got stuck up there. I was having problems when there was somebody that had gotten up there and they were kind of stuck up there because they couldn't get down the stairs and the machine was malfunctioning.

Original review: March 3, 2021

We needed a stairlift because my husband couldn't go up the stairs anymore. It was too much. He would lose his balance and didn't have enough energy to go upstairs. We deal with Bellin Home Medical all the time and we went there. The reps came in and my husband showed them where he wanted it. They measured and when they brought the chair and put it in, it didn’t take very long. They were here two and a half hours. The starlift is a must for people like my husband. He’s in a nursing home now but there would have been no way he would have been able to go upstairs. We had a few problems with the stairlift but we realized that it wasn't plugged in. Sometimes it pulls out and so, we have to be careful. But otherwise, it's fine. We've been satisfied with Harmar.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

They came over, did the measurements and it went fast. They took care of it. They were very good about coming and taking care of me whenever something goes wrong. The stairlift is fine. But I'm noticing sometimes there's a clicking sound as it's going up. If it continues, I'll have them come over and check it.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I installed the stairlift myself, and it wasn't that difficult. But I did have a couple of issues and I couldn't get it resolved through AmeriGlide. I had a broken piece during the shipping. I inspected all the stuff and it was noted right away. I made my report to the shipping people. Then I contacted AmeriGlide, took a picture of the damage, and spoke with someone there. They said, “No problem.” They would get a new piece coming out and I would just put it on myself. This went on for months. I had to call back several times, but still no results.

I finally had to call Harmar as the manufacturer direct. The rep said they would take care of it and the part was here in a matter of a couple of days. But the batteries didn't last very long. Again, I went direct to Harmar instead of dealing with AmeriGlide. The gentleman at Harmar told me to take a couple of quick tests if I had an electric meter so we know it is the battery. I did that and gave him that information. Then they shipped me out some batteries and it was all taken care of. Everything seems to be okay now. Everything that I dealt directly with Harmar was great and it was taken care of promptly. They were great.

Harmar Mobility Company Information