2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts

4.8/5 (52 ratings)

About Harmar Mobility

Harmar manufactures home and vehicle accessibility lifts. It offers a wide variety of products, including stair lifts, automobile lifts and platform lifts, through local Harmar dealers. The company’s products come with a warranty, with terms varying by model. You can find out which automobile lift is right for your situation by taking the company’s vehicle compatibility quiz.

Pros

• Wide range of products
  • Online resources
  • Product warranties
  • Installation included

Cons

• Few lifetime warranties
  • Available only from local dealers

Bottom Line

Harmar makes accessibility lifts for home, vehicle and hybrid use. Its pricing isn’t listed on the website, but you can get cost info from a local dealer. Its compatibility calculator helps find the right lift for your car.

Harmar Mobility Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harmar Mobility?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harmar?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

During the sales visit, they explained everything we needed. We had another person come in and we talked to them, and we liked the price better with the other one. Harmar said they would get it done sooner and it worked out for us. The installer was very nice. He went through everything. My grandfather liked to be involved and so he was patient with my grandfather, just explaining everything. The quality of the stairlift was good. It changed a lot of things around here. It helped in my grandfather's mobility to get back upstairs so he could sleep in his own bed. He didn't have to walk the stairs anymore. We were happy with everything.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

The rep seemed very honest. That's what we want. And then, the installation was very good. The fella that put in the steps didn't do a very good job. But other than that, the stairlift is very good. My husband feels very safe. It has made it much easier for him. And it's for people who stay up there. They use it to take their luggage up and down. We're very satisfied with Harmar.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

The installation team was very good. We have two stairlifts and we had a problem with the second one. The guy was very good coming out and helping me with it. It's obtrusive-looking, but it serves its purpose and it makes it a lot easier for my husband to get up and down. It's nice that it folds up and we have the one that comes all the way down at the bottom of the stairs, and then you can push it back up and the rail folds back up. That's nice because it keeps it out of the way. If you need it, Harmar is something that is well worth looking into.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I was having some problems with the Harmar product. It was like cracking and popping, and some of the bolts were coming out of the wood. They fixed it and it’s starting to do it again. The installation was fine. Then, about three months ago, it started making noise with the extender on the bottom. Other than those, I like that I can get up and down the steps. The quality seems good as long as it doesn't break down.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

My daughter told me about a fellow who could install the stair lift, and he had experience doing the stair lift. I did some research on the internet. And I called him, and I wtore down several ones I was interested in. And he said that Harmar is the best one he works on. He likes it better than any of the others that he services. He also said he rarely has to service them because they hold up so well.

And then, we looked at the different ones that Harmar offered. Harmar was the only one that had the weight capacity that would work for my husband. We ordered the one that had the larger weight capacity because my husband is a big man. The fellow that we talked to on the phone ordered it, and he came and installed it. We have been using it like crazy. We love it. It changed accessibility to our basement. I hadn't been down in our basement easily for 10 months. My knees are so bad that going down to the basement is very painful. And now, I go down there every single day. This changed everything.

I wish there was a way for the foot rest to be lifted up easier. There is no handle or anything you can grab on to, to lift the foot rest. You have to reach all the way down to grab the edge of the foot rest to lift it up. And it would be nice if there was something to make it easier to lift the foot rest up or down. Automated would be great. Even if a handle to grab on to, that automated would be awesome.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

My kids pitched in and bought me a Harmar stairlift because I got a bad knee. Installation went good. The people put it up and they didn't leave a mess. They didn’t take too long and they were professional and nice as well. Also, the quality is good. We should have done that a long time ago. There are 14 steps and I cannot even walk.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

The installation of our Harmar chair lift took a couple hours. We had problems with the charger. It broke down three times too. A couple of times, we weren't able to use it a few days because it was always over weekend. Other than that, it's working right now. We like that we can go up and down the stairs.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I bought an expensive chairlift from Harmar and had very good service from them. The conversation with their salesperson went smoothly, clearly, and quickly. That was paramount to me at the time. I was told that the whole set-up is guaranteed for life which was impressive. We're pretty old and maybe that's not such an abstract guarantee. They also said to call them any time. If anything quits working, they would fix it. At a time when we needed that kind of confirmation, that sounded good to us.

I bought the chairlift in May and it has been very satisfactory. As far as the operation goes, it's steady and it is reliable. The quality is top-notch too. One thing that bothered me a little bit in the beginning is the chair feels a little bit loose and flimsy. But I think that's just the way it is and I dismissed that concern. I'm pretty heavy and the chair has no trouble handling my weight. Also, if you consider that that chair is at a 90-degree angle to the rail, there's going to be some give when you sit on it.

Another concern I had was the rather rough bumping noises when the chairlift goes over the sections. At either end of the rail, there's a three-foot charge strip. As it enters the charge strip, it makes a noise. I called the representative and he said to just tighten up that screw. There's a little adjustment screw at the top, which puts more pressure tension on the entire rail. When I tightened up the tension screw, it took some of the noise out. I'm not too concerned about the noise now since the chairlift has continued to work perfectly. The chairlift also bumps pretty severely. The rails seem to be close and tight but nevertheless, it makes quite a bump when it goes over those connections. But I had gotten used to the bumping and thumping.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

My legs were in bad shape and I was afraid to fall going down the steps. My son got a glide for me and it's fitting well in our stairwell. But about three-quarters of the way up, you’re hitting a little bump. It's probably where it's connected as it's two parts. I use it all the time and it's good quality. It gets me up and down the stairs easily and freely. It gives me freedom of mind here that I'm not gonna fall. That's the big thing for me. I don't have to do a lot of work to do it. It's easy to operate and I like it. My wife doesn't use it very often but there's plenty of room for her to walk up and down the stairs.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

Harmar was the only one that had a big enough chair for my size. I called the guy and they came over fairly quick and gave me an estimate. He told me I'd have it within two weeks. I didn't believe it but he did and it was here. Everything he said he was gonna do, he did, on time, which I was surprised about. The installation was done in a couple hours. I got bad legs and COPD so the stairlift is a big help for me. I'm very happy with it.

Harmar Mobility Company Information