Find a Water Heaters partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About GE Water Heaters

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Pilot went out of my GE tank I bought from Home Depot. I went on the internet and saw many folks had the thermocouple problem with some went out in 3 to 5 years. I had mine replaced last night after two cold showers and noticed mine unit was installed 9 years ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new thermocouple will last as long. Even Home Depot has stopped selling the GE brand. I am waiting for a Samsung or LG to come up. Sorry American Companies. You do not have the quality.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

GE Geospring Water Heater - Installation instructions were changed to require a barbed tee to connect the condensation tube to the drain line. In 2012, that instruction was absent. The plumber used a brass fitting tightened to the plastic tube. Not possible to perform suggested maintenance without removing the brass fitting. This cracked the fragile plastic tube. Licensed plumber was used. I will be filing a claim against Lowe’s since it was purchased, installed, and an extended warranty from Lowe’s. Since instructions did not exist at time of installation, I'm not sure if I have a remedy.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Well... It seems I have had better luck than most of you who have this water heater... My water heater has been trouble free until for the first time the thermocouple went out yesterday. I bought mine from home depot 5 years ago!!! Will proceed to install a new thermocouple and hopefully get it up and running again... Stay tuned...

Original review: May 26, 2017

I purchased a GE water twice now because the first went out after 6 months completely and now the second one I've had to replace the thermocouple three time now. Can't afford warrant because I live on a budget and they are selling faulty merchandise. You can't use a universal thermocouple because it won't work with the GE models. I can't afford another water heater!

Original review: March 31, 2017

Bought a brand new GE water heater 2 yrs. ago to replace original, badly sedimented water heater. Bought a new GE water heater at Home Depot (model: PG38T09AXK00). The new GE water heater ran fine for about 4 months and then the pilot light suddenly refused to stay lit. Called GE warranty service and they explained that the thermocoupler which regulates the pilot light was of a "defective design" and they sent me a new one. After 2 days of COLD showers (it was December), I got the new thermocoupler. As I'm an engineer by profession, I opted to install the replacement part myself. This was NOT an easy process, as the mount for the replacement thermocoupler was reversed, compared to the original. Also, printed instructions were NOT AT ALL clear.

Anyway, I finally figured it out and got the replacement installed and had another 2 years of hot water - until the pilot light stopped working AGAIN. Did a little research and found that some folks have had good luck by removing the burner and lightly sanding off accumulated carbon from the thermocoupler sensor head. Therefore, I did just that and got about a week off hot water before the pilot went out again. Tried cleaning the sensor head again, to no avail. Tried a few other things, but nothing I do will make the pilot stay lit. Gotta call GE warranty support again for another thermocoupler replacement. It's March now and the ambient water temp is still very COLD and I have to work tomorrow and attend a charity event to which I cannot go stinky - More cold showers in store for my poor 50-odd year old body. All the while, my hatred for GE continues to metastasize.

Long story short - Unless you like cold showers in the winter time, do NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK WATER HEATER. Considering water heater technology has been around for about 100 years, you'd think GE would've gotten a reliable model built by now. Not looking forward to tomorrow morning - I'm so pissed off right now. I'd like to ** at GE customer service, but they're only open from 9:00 am to 4 pm Central Time, so I can't even get that small satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

GE Geospring Hybrid Water Heater - First thing, poor customer service. Talked a local plumber and told him where the leak is coming from. The plumber indicated there is really nothing he can do, since the leak is coming from the bottom of the tank, not from any valves, joints, or pipes. GE insisted that we have to ask the plumber to come to the house so that the GE technical support team can ask the plumber to perform a few test to determine if the leak is due to manufacture defect.

I asked GE what is the standard procedure if the unit is determined to be factory defect, but the customer support refused to give me an answer. Talked to the supervisor, he has also refused to give answer. He indicated there is no standard procedure for manufacture defect hybrid water heater. Now I have to pay to have a plumber to come out so that he can tell the technical support that the tank is leaking from the bottom. I would not recommend this water heater. I have to waste at 5 gallons of water before I get warm water in the shower. The fan of the heater is so noisy, and almost always running. Please do research before considering this water heater.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

Bought from Home Depot, this 40 gallon GE ultra low NOx came with a 12 year warranty. The gas temperature regulator went out after 5 years, so I got a new regulator replacement kit under warranty. It cost about $200 in labor to put it in. Now, less than 1 year later, the pilot light won't light. Turns out the reason is the small aluminum tube supplying gas from the regulator to the pilot light melted. This should never occur, as usually the small tube runs directly from the regulator to the pilot light so is exposed to very little heat from the burner. In this Ultra Low NOx model, the aluminum tube wraps around the bottom of the burner, and is attached to the burner with 6 or so steel clips. Apparently, corrosion occurs between the steel clips and the aluminum tube causing eventual failure of the tube.

It has been over 5 days without hot water since I ordered the "thermocouple kit" (includes the aluminum tube and thermocouple as a complete assembly), but still haven't gotten it. I finally gave up and ordered a new water heater, since installation labor would be another $200 - you can get a new water heater and installation for less than $1000. And anything would be better than this. Edit: I just got the new parts, too late. Notice in the picture the new tube is the standard short length, and does not wrap around the burner as in the original. Too bad GE didn't do that in the first place. New water heater going in this afternoon.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I started calling and eight 800 numbers later still no resolution! This hybrid water heater since installation has given us problems. The hot water distribution throughout the house is not right. Serviceman has replaced 2 parts (control board and t-2 tank sensors) and still not distributing hot water to our showers! Now they are replacing a DIP pipe! Customer service is horrendous and constantly tries to appease you by offering service that just isn't working. Ultimately we will never purchase any GE product again and would like to see this unit taken out of our house and replaced!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I was calling them several times to report the problem with the water heater, my husband told them that the problem was the valve but they kept telling me to check again take a picture and send it to them. I did it but they never reply me back until I call back again. I wait almost 1 hours in the phone until someone pick up the phone. Her name was Stephanie. She barely open the email to check the picture and she said that they will send the part. Guess what it was? Yes the valve!!!

The thing is that by email they never check the emails with that information that they request. So you need to spend another 50 more min by the phone. I told them that I have kids at home and we can't be without hot water, but they don't care. I'll never buy nothing with this company again. They are not professionals. They don't care or think in their customers and family. I had this water heater with us for 3 years already (with the "warranty" of 7 years) and it's already broken in 3 years. You lost another customer. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

We have had this water heater installed for 3.5 years and have needed replacement parts multiple times. Tonight, my husband went down to check the water heater because it was cold! A LIVE wire was red hot and sparking. The coil was melted and our house could of caught fire. I called the main GE line and was routed 5 times, until the last person claimed I called the wrong department, but they were closed. NO ONE took my melted, sparking wire seriously. I am furious and frankly will NEVER EVER by a GE product ever again.

GE Water Heaters Company Information