2.50/5

Looking for a flooring company?

Flooring America

Looking for a flooring company?

22 Flooring America Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Love the end result, but demolition of tile flooring and customer service was very bad. Crew did not take care of my personal items, walls, baseboards, cabinets, toilets or appliances. We were told that the crew would be bringing a machine to remove the tile and that it would lessen the dust. Crew came with a hammer at first, then electric chisel and then vented the dust into my garage. I had already asked that they not open my garage door as all household items and electronics were stored in there, but they did anyways. Master bathroom toilet broken, dents in dryer, dents in walls and dents in kitchen cabinets.

Now that the toilet is broken, a cut around, as quoted and written on the sales order, cannot be done. A plumber was need because the flange is now too high. $900.00 dollars later we can use our toilets again. Contacted the salesperson with pictures of the damage several times. The installation department sent someone out to fix (patch), putty and paint at the baseboards. The other damage was not addressed until after 30 days. A GM with an email address of "Carpet One" came to my home. 5 days later, I received an email (when I was promised I would hear from them the next day) that they will only pay for the toilet. So, their lack of care, costed me an additional $1,5000.00 to fix their damage to my home. Installation crew was great, too bad demolition and customer service is absolutely horrible.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I purchased a 5 Star rated hardwood floor from Flooring America for my new home. It's Maple which is supposed to be a "hardwood". The floor was beautiful for a few months but it scratched easily and I was told it was the finish and that wasn't covered by the warranty (REALLY?) After 3 years the floor was chipping and splintering, believe me you wouldn't want one of these hunks of wood stabbing you. Again the store I bought it from said that this wasn't covered. According to the 5 Star Warranty it covers 1. Wear - Warranty 50 years 2. Finish - Warranty 50 years 3. Structural Integrity - Warranty years 4. Manufacturing - Warranty 50 years 5. Installation - Life of floor Warranty 50 years.

My floor falls under at least 3 of those! After much persuasion they said they would replace 10 boards. This wood is in my whole first floor but what was I supposed to do? So they replaced 10 boards and said that was it. The house is 5 years old now and the floors look horrible. More splinters are appearing and you would need surgery to get it out. They are so big. Our children are grown, have only a cat and take our shoes off at the door so structural integrity not so good. THEY DO NOT STAND BY THEIR WARRANTY.

Get expert buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

If I could rate them less I would. They may have pricing on select carpets that seem less than other places but that is where it ends. They say always trust your gut... I should have known when I had to chase their outside company to schedule measurements and have it take nearly 2 weeks. Once he did finally come out, he arrived nearly 2 hours late. His measurements were 200 Sq ft more than my measurements but ok, there is overage for waste, etc. Flooring America's policy is that after measurements you have to physically go back to the store to sign the contract. This can't be done over the phone or by email, but only in person... OK whatever. Just another inconvenience.

Now is time to schedule the install... Another week or so goes by before they can come out. Again, whatever. People are busy, and I'm OK with that. The installer was now supposed to be at my home at 9am. At 10:30 I get a call from the installer that he is running late. He sounds like he just woke up. He arrives at 12 and looks like he just came off a rough night of whatever. Walks through the house and says he has to measure everything again. In a total of 5 minutes he comes to the conclusion that he is short 4 Sq ft of material and can't do the job. His words were, "We have a problem". Now, the person who came out the first time to measure spent 40 minutes plotting each room and told me that he was a retired engineer, but my hungover installer was able to come up with the fact that he was 4 Sq ft short in 5 minutes.

I was told to call the store and figure out another time to have this done. Now, this was a 4 bedroom install where the entire contents of the house was moved to accommodate this install. When I called the store to see what would be done it was like this was no big deal and they would just reschedule the job for another day. When I complained they were quick to say, "OK, well we will just refund your money then." In complete disgust, I went to a big box store where I paid the same exact price and had the best contractor experience I could ask for. Great customer service and contact throughout the job. Oh ya, and their measure of the home was nearly exactly the same as mine. My experience with Flooring America was a disaster and I would warn you to be careful if considering them.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

After two weeks and still not being finished with a four day job, I finally had enough and asked them not to come back. My kitchen cabinets were scuffed during the tile removal, my furniture was not moved even though I was quoted a price for it, and my baseboards are not painted. After contacting the sales agent, he didn't even apologize and asked me what should be done instead of offering a resolution. I am happy with the product I ordered, but I can find that almost anywhere. The rest of the experience is simply not worth the excess cost or hassle. Find a local flooring company and avoid Flooring America.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

At installation they pushed the dresser back against the mop-board, and I can no longer access the electric outlet. Contacted the salesman twice, with no response. Ten minutes to move the furniture, drops my review from 5 to 2. I went there on the recommendation of a friend in Ankeny, but I won't be doing the same. I was also surprised I can see the seam. I'd have thought by 2018 they would have a method to eliminate the visual.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flooring America?

Original review: July 28, 2017

We ordered Karastan carpet from Flooring America -- so higher end carpet. We were told by the salesperson that we would have a seam in our upstairs hallway (as in one seam) and instead what we got was what looks like six different pieces of carpet. I called the manager Dustin and first he asked me if it could be vacuum cleaner lines (seriously I am 46 years old, I think I know what those look like). He asked me how did I know they were seams and I told him because they are lines that go straight across from wall to wall.

Then he wondered if it could be our flooring under our carpet that was causing the lines. I advised him that we have solid hardwood under the floors and these lines were not there with our previous carpet. Then he went into why would an installer want to install carpet with that many seams, it would be 5X the amount of work. I told him I didn't know but would he please talk to the installer. It comes out that the installer did install the carpet with many seams because supposedly it is too hard to get head seams to match up.

We had a patterned carpet installed on our stairs. The pattern is crooked on some of the stairs and was installed the wrong direction on our landing (because supposedly not enough carpet was ordered). Then you have the foam padding showing on the side of the stairs and the carpet was installed in the waterfall method instead of the tailored method like we had requested. Flooring America said they would make it right on the stairs and ordered more carpet.

My next day off wasn't for 2 weeks so it was scheduled for today at 11:30. I called at 12:00 because no one had showed up and guess what? They had forgot to schedule anyone... Are you freaking kidding me? They did scramble around and find someone to come out tomorrow which is a Saturday and replace the carpet on the stairs. They won't replace the carpet in the upstairs hallway because there is nothing wrong with it (the fact that there is a seam every 5-6 feet does not qualify apparently).

I will say though that I really like the Karastan carpet. It is really soft and very pretty. We have 3 dogs so will see how it holds up. Will see how the installation goes tomorrow but I have to say this has been one of the worst experiences I have had with home improvement in the 25 years we have owned a home. Flooring America has a really nice looking showroom and quality products but beware of their installers and also of their math (had an issue also with the salesperson doing some "funny math" with the square footage). I discussed with her and she made corrections which made a $500 difference.

Original review: July 9, 2017

Contracted Flooring America for my garage floor using interlocking rubber flooring in my Merritt Island home. I had several quotes from other companies that were less expensive than Flooring America but believed what the sales person told me about their product so I spent the extra money for the interlocking rubber tiles. Beware of what the sales person (Megan) tells you because she's going to tell you what you want to hear or regurgitate what she's been told. Original cost was $6000.00 and due to several issues the cost was dropped to $5275.00.

The floor looks terrible (raised areas and several tiles don't lay flat)! Several areas do not interlock well due to loose tiles because floor was not prepared in any way other than blowing out debris. When the floor gets hot (I live in Florida) the floor gets soft and changes. For the amount of money I spent I expect a nice floor. I was told that the floor was meant to be driven on yet the first time I pulled my car in the garage, the tile pulled up from the trim piece that was to keep it in place. Although the people I dealt with tried to accommodate me, my floor is less than right hence the reason for cost reduction. Had the installers out 4 times for rework and the manager came out once. Very disappointed with the end result and it is very expensive! I wish I had prepped the floor myself and used epoxy paint, I could have done this many many times in my lifetime for $5275.00.

Original review: May 15, 2017

We purchased tile for over 12,000 dollars parts and labor for most of our house. We were told it had a one year warranty. After a couple of months we noticed a lot of the tile was cracking and the grout job had some holes in it. When we called Flooring America about it and our sub contractor about it they said to let it go for a while to see if any more cracks would develop. In the mean time we then purchased flooring for another floor, almost 3,000 dollars for that room. We then called one month prior to our warranty expiring to get our tile fixed under the warranty. A gentleman named Cubby was very rude, said our house had shifted and that's why the tile cracked. Our house has been on the foundation for 12 years now, so it just shifted when we put the tile down. This guy named Cubby had my wife crying on the phone and he DID not care. When asked to speak to the owners he said he had been there longer than the owners.

When I tried calling and asking for our salesperson and or the owner, I always got Cubby's voice mail. Our sub contractor will not return any calls either. So buyers beware of Flooring America on US1 in Melbourne. Very polite when they want your hard earned 15,000 dollars. Don't want to help you out when it comes time for warranty.

Original review: April 17, 2017

We purchased a 4 star product specifically because we wanted to be sure we could depend on the warranty if floor traffic became an issue (the front entrance is very close to when you walk into the condo). After the first year a stain was tracked in that could not be removed. We had it professionally cleaned, stain went away after cleaning only to reappear several weeks later. We contacted the store and they sent out an independent inspector. The inspector determined it was surface dirt and carpet needed to be cleaned, despite already going through that process we did as we were told. Once again, carpet was clean after the cleaning company left only to reappear a few weeks (or less). While the store did the best they could, Flooring America has not stood up to the warranty. I now have to have a small area rug covering the stain, a nuisance and safety issue because we trip on it periodically. Do not be fooled by the 4 star warranty!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

Their customer service is very reliable and trustworthy. I'm glad I found this place out sooner than later though they save me a bowl load. Their installation was top notch. No mistakes whatsoever. They did it all in one day. Great employees. They really know what they're doing. Their value is pretty reasonable. Cheapest place around that's why they're one of my favorite floor installers. I'll never go through anybody else. They have the best flooring quality out of all the stores I shopped around before I settled mainly because a customer service's top notch.

Flooring America expert review by Joseph Truini

Flooring America is a nationwide chain of locally owned stores. It focuses on offering quality products at low prices, as indicated by their slogan: Flooring options for every style and every budget.

• Selection: Flooring America sells carpeting as well as hardwood, laminate, tile and vinyl flooring. Carpeting types include saxony, cut loop, pattern and frieze. They carry hardwood-flooring from 12 different manufacturers.

• Green Select products: Products that are recyclable or contain recycled content carry the Green Select label. They include cotton and wool from free-range sheep and bamboo flooring.

• Free pre-measure: A free in-home pre-measure and analysis eliminates much of the guesswork about fit and budget, with no obligation to buy.

• Installation: Flooring America stores offer expert installers and lifetime guarantees. Installers trim excess carpeting material, and use knee kickers and carpet stretchers, when necessary.

• Credit: Financing is available through Synchrony Bank, and you can apply online.

• Best for: Flooring America is popular with budget seekers, people with pets and kids and green shoppers.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
      Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Flooring America Company Information