Fidelity National Home Warranty
Looking for a home warranty company?

Last updated: June 28, 2017

7 Fidelity National Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 28, 2017

I placed a service call for garage door - the springs and the pull-wire broke and needed replacement. Only mechanical parts. All electrical parts were good and fully functional including the motor, keypads, opener button and remote clickers, all by brand GENIE.

The technician from Cosco Garage Door Sw came and said he would fix it no problem. When he came back with the parts and finished the job - I was devastated. All electrical parts were replaced by new system called Genesis, he advised me that he did me a favor replacing the motor and this new motor is far superior to GENIE. But not compatible with any other systems, including universal openers, etc... He charged me $90 extra for wall button as he stated HW doesn't cover it and its not compatible with new motor. Why do I have to pay for this if it didn't need to be changed as well as the motor 0- it is not optional accessory, it is part of operating system!! !

Keypad started malfunctioning in 5 days. I checked the Genesis company on-line to see the warranty and was horrified again.

Genesis is just formed, sells their one model of openers to few repair people on high commission basis, the company is shady, unknown, has no presence in any stores, has no service, no contact phone number, no address, no accessories available and no customer service or support. It is not compatible with any garage openers accessories. I cant order anything or get any service for it anywhere except this Cosco that installed it which is father and son business run by 2 people. I couldn't reach them for 5 days, they didn't return the calls. I contacted HW and asked them to fix it, as well as told them the whole story. They promised me to send technician back but when I finally reached Cosco 1 week later and apparently the guy never heard from HW about coming back. So, many calls later WITH OVER 50 MINUTES +++ wait time every time - I still dont have a functional garage door, my family members cant enter the house as handicap entrance is only through the garage. This is unacceptable.

Also I have a question - the problem was with belt and springs, our old garage door motor by Genie worked well - much better than the new Genesis one. WHY DID HE CHANGE IT? To make more money on you. Also - if he changes the system (for no reason) you should cover new keypad and opener as the system he put in is not universal and not compatible with anything and comes with its own clickers - THERE IS NO ACCESSORY AVAILABLE FOR GENESIS ON LINE OR IN STORES - so he took advantage of us to sell the push-button for $90, when equivalent of it for any other brand sells for $15-20 on line and in Home Depot and Sears. Its thievery and fraud.

Original review: July 15, 2016

If I could give this company a zero I would! I have never seen a company so horrible in all of my days of working in Real Estate and investing! We own a rental with tenants that have had problems with their dishwasher for two years now. The technicians keep coming out to "fix" it along with several 60.00 service fees. By the way, after the year contract is up, and is renewed, the service agreement apparently starts over. After several phone calls to the company letting them know that I didn't feel that "repairing" the dishwasher for a few hours before it stops working again is NOT a repair. The dishwasher obviously is not repairable and needs to be replaced. When they still refused to replace it, I let them know this was unacceptable and we would need to start looking into other companies for our 3 rentals if they would not replace the dishwasher. I spoke with the supervisor and the next thing I knew they cancelled all future appointments for the dishwasher stating that we were looking into other companies so they refuse to do any more work for us! I am mortified and will be writing complaints to the BBB, as we'll as YELP. If you are looking into home warranty companies this is not the one! !

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

I had gotten a home warranty from fidelity national. First had a gas leak. They sent someone that did not know where the leak was. Then I call them the same day for them to send me someone experienced. They told me to wait 4 days for them to get the okay on gas leak. So I had to have the gas fix and pay for because it was very dangerous. They don't want to pay for them.

The dishwasher had to be fixed. They sent someone after 5 days. They had to change the motor and other big parts. The dishwasher still did not work. I called them, they sent the same person to look at it then they call me and said they not going to fix. They were going to replace the dishwasher. Then I did not hear from them for a week. I call to get a response. No call back. It went on for weeks of argue with them. They never straight never honest. They are liars and not professional they are very tricky.

I got a new dishwasher myself and I still did not get money back and the funny part a employee of their office call her name is ** said she was going to send me a check to send her the bill of the purchase and the installation. I had to call for week. I left message she never call back and then I get a letter that they change their mind they're not going to pay.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2007

This insurance company has been providing me with coverage since 2005. They have all the information in regards to what the house contains inward and outward with detail. In May 2007 I renewed my policy and discovered that they have been applying coverage for a pool, so I have been paying extra for a pool that is non existent. They made a mistake by applying a pool coverage charge.

I then called to inform them that the pool policy has been a mistake on their part and that I have been paying wrongfully for something that is not being covered since the property has never, nor will ever have a pool. I wanted them to return this pool charge amount.When I called I was informed that they couldn't return my money. Their reason being that they have been providing for 3 months of pool coverage. Keep in mind once again there is no pool and they knew this since I've been their customer since 2005, so in the past three months only they decided to add this pool charge.

Original review: April 17, 2007

On 4/13/07 Fidelity National Home Warrantee Co (FNHW) delivered a black dishwasher that I did Not order and now they said they will not exchange it for the color (Bisque) that I ordered. Over the past few months I sent several emails to FNHW which specifically stated the dishwasher must be in the color Bisque which is a light tan/cream color. FNHW had a company deliver the dishwasher to my house and leave it on my porch in a box when I was not home. Since it was in a box, I could not see the color. The appliance repairman took the old dishwasher out before the new dishwasher was opened from the box. Then the new dishwasher box was opened and installed. FNHW is now telling me that I am stuck with the black dishwasher because as soon as it is delivered in the box there are no exchanges and no returns. This is extremely unfair since I have proof I asked for the dishwasher in Bisque (Not black).

After I started proving what the FNHW reps were telling me was incorrect by showing them previous emails, they refused to communicate with me through email. It seems as though they do not want to work through emails because emails help prove the issues of them not conducting business ethically.

Most times I call, the service reps did not correctly document the issues I called in for. They left out important information in the case notes which cause them to create new cases each time I had to call back to re-iterate all the appliance & plumbing issues. They did not document the problems I had with the first Plumber. Since they failed to document the case notes correctly from the beginning, they were able to charge me duplicate service fees for the same work. The wax seal was not installed properly which caused the toilet to continue to leak so I had to pay for another service fee to fix what the original plumber did not fix properly. In the beginning, the rep only documented 1 issue when I called even though I mentioned the numerous issues that need fixed.

** is the rep I have been talking with over the past few months however I can rarely reach her by phone. On several occasions when she was out of work for extended periods I left her several voice mail messages that were not returned until several days later. Sometimes she did not return my calls at all. The other reps told me they cant help me because ** is the only one who can handle my case. ** was unprofessional and rude to me so I asked ** and other reps several different times to let me speak to her boss (**) but they keep refusing to let me speak with **. I have several emails to prove my case against Fidelity National Home Warranty co and would be happy to forward them to you at your request.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity National Home Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2003

Purchased a contract for home buyers in May per escrow. Buyers escrow fell through. Called to cancel contract. Per their contract, it IS cancellable if escrow falls through. To date, I have faxed the appropriate escrow documents to them three times and made eight phone calls, all being promised to credit me the $330.00 I had paid. Recent phone calls implied that too much time had expired since contract purchase. I have been contacting them since the escrow fell through, and they have done nothing about it. All supervisors have not responded.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2001

It was raining on Saturday 12/29 and I woke up to find water dripping down from the light in the kitchen. I called my home warranty company and told them of this problem. They sent out a plumber who ripped a hole into our ceiling and couldn't find the leak. He then ripped another hole in our ceiling in a different area and still couldn't find the leak, but told us that it was coming from the hot water pipe from the upstairs shower. He said he couldn't get access to it from the two holes he had already cut and proceeded to cut yet another large hole in my cabinet wall. Still he said he couldn't get to the leak and he would have to get to it from the outside and he would have to cut a hole into our house from the outside.

Since it was raining and our home warranty company's insurance doesn't cover accidents if the plumber gets hurt in the rain they said he would have to come out another day to do this. Since they don't work on Sundays they rescheduled for Monday afternoon. He turned off the water to our house and left. This left us without water from Saturday to Monday. I have a 13 month old baby that needs to take baths and have water, etc. Sunday I called the warranty company back and insisted that they send someone out since it was not raining and I needed to have the problem fixed so that I could turn the water back on. After several attempts and resistance from the customer service rep, Jason, they did finally send out a second company who said that there was no plumbing leak. Instead the water was coming from the rain leaking in from a vent.

Moreover, he said that a good plumber would never have cut holes in the house when it is raining without first checking for leaks like that. He then told us that we could turn the water back on (in fact we never had to turn the water off in the first place). We were very inconvenienced by this and also because there were three holes cut into our house and it is winter it is more expensive to keep the house warm. The warranty company claims that they will only patch the holes in the ceiling and wall to a rough finish (I would expect that they should repair it to a final finish since it was never necessary to cut the holes in the first place) and they do not take responsibility for the misdiagnosis from the first plumber and they do not feel they have to compensate me for what he did and the inconvenience of going with out water. I want to know if I have a case to have them take responsibility for the plumber they sent out and his misdiagnosis and repair the holes in the house to a final finish.

Fidelity National Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

Fidelity National Home Warranty sells home warranties to both home buyers and home sellers. With a history of superior customer service dating back to 1978, Fidelity National Home Warranty services Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington.

• Variable rates: Depending on where you live, your rate with Fidelity National Home Warranty will vary. Check the Fidelity National Home Warranty website to see your available rates. Coverage starts 30 days after purchase.

• For buyers and sellers: Fidelity sells warranties to both home buyers and home sellers. Buyers can cover their purchases and ensure longer life for their appliances, and sellers can include their warranty in their offer.

• Trained service representatives: Local licensed service representatives are available to answer your questions and help you with any appliance problems you have. All it takes is one call to guarantee service.

• Ways to purchase: There are several ways to get a Fidelity warranty. You can purchase warranties online, over the phone or from a local dealer or real estate agent.

• Maintenance guides: From cleaning your garbage disposal to making small plumbing repairs, Fidelity has several PDF guides to maintaining your home and appliances. All of them are available online for free.

• Best for: homeowners and home sellers looking for extra appliance coverage.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Fidelity National Home Warranty Company Information