2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Fidelity National Home Warranty offers a base home warranty plan with optional add-ons. Plan costs range from $350 to $445 annually. The company places no age limit on the appliances and systems it covers. It protects homeowners in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington.

BOTTOM LINE

Fidelity National Home Warranty has affordably priced plans and helpful information on its website, but it isn't available in many locations, and some consumer reviews mention poor customer service.

PROS

• Low costs
    • Online resources
    • No age limits on covered items

CONS

• Reports of poor customer service
    • Not available in most states

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Fidelity National Home Warranty?

Fidelity National Home Warranty offers home warranties to residents in 15 states. Its base plan covers an array of home appliances and systems. Most homeowners should consider choosing additional coverage with Fidelity National Home Warranty's add-on options since the base plan doesn't cover some common household appliances and systems.

Fidelity National Home Warranty plans

Fidelity National Home Warranty offers a standard plan and lets customers choose any add-ons they want. However, its standard plan doesn't provide coverage for systems and appliances that are included in many of its competitors' home warranty plans.

• Standard plan: Covers up to 23 household systems and appliances
      • Optional add-ons: Includes air conditioning system, refrigerators and pool equipment

Fidelity Home Warranty coverage

Fidelity National Home Warranty only offers one standard plan, but customers are able to purchase additional coverage for specific appliances and systems.

Standard plan
      Fidelity National Home Warranty only offers coverage in 15 states, so prospective customers should make sure the company operates in their area. Fidelity National Home Warranty’s standard plan covers the following appliances and systems:
      • Oven
      • Heating and ductwork
      • Water heater
      • Plumbing system
      • Bathroom whirlpool motor pump
      • Sump pump (if permanently installed)
      • Instant hot water dispenser
      • Toilets
      • Built-in microwave
      • Central vacuum system
      Optional coverage
      Fidelity National Home Warranty also offers optional coverage for the following appliances and systems:
      • Pool and spa equipment
      • Roof leak repair
      Noncovered items
      Fidelity National Home Warranty doesn’t cover the following:
      • Abused systems or appliances
      • Systems and appliances that aren’t regularly maintained
      • Equipment designed for commercial use
      • Secondary appliances or systems that fail because of a covered appliance or system
      • Damage from natural disasters

Fidelity Home Warranty pricing

The minimum annual price for a home warranty from Fidelity National Home Warranty is $350, but we've seen costs up to $445. These prices are low, but some items considered add-ons by the company, like air conditioning and refrigerators — included standard by most other companies — add to cost. The average service fee with Fidelity National Home Warranty is $75.

We don't love the quote process from Fidelity National Home Warranty. When we clicked the link to get a quote on its website, we received a message telling us to call the company instead. Most home warranty company websites have online functionality allowing customers to obtain a quote and buy the home warranty.

Fidelity National Home Warranty FAQ

Will Fidelity National Home Warranty cover older homes?
      Yes. Fidelity National Home Warranty doesn’t exclude coverage based on the age of your home as long as systems and appliances are working properly at the start of coverage.
      Does Fidelity National Home Warranty cover mold?
      No, Fidelity National Home Warranty does not pay for mold removal.
      How long does my coverage last from Fidelity National Home Warranty?
      Fidelity National Home Warranty's plans last one year.
      Does my plan with Fidelity National Home Warranty auto-renew?
      No. To renew a plan, customers must log on to their account online or call Fidelity National Home Warranty directly.

Is Fidelity National Home Warranty worth it?

For most homeowners, Fidelity National Home Warranty probably isn't worth it. The company's low prices might appeal to those on a budget, but the lower prices also come with less coverage than Fidelity National Home Warranty's competitors. The company has a clunky online experience and negative consumer reviews of its firm cancellation policy and customer service. For these reasons, we don't feel comfortable recommending Fidelity National Home Warranty for most homeowners. If you are still interested in a home warranty, continue researching home warranty companies and look for one with a more reliable track record.

Fidelity National Home Warranty Reviews

Original review: May 22, 2020

We bought a house, in great shape. 2 weeks after, the pool heater stopped working, we called Fidelity National Home Warranty, they charge 75 dollars to come out, didn't do anything, barely looked at it and said the pool filter is dirty and it is not covered due to misuse. We called a pool repair company, they came out, told us the heating module was bad, nothing to do with the filter being "dirty" or misuse, replaced for a couple hundred bucks. FNHW refused to acknowledge our claim, and sent us a letter saying claim denied, no explanation.

A couple months after we moved in, I use the oven for the first time, turned it on, and the bottom heating element heated up so red the oven paint chipped, and I only turned the oven to 350 degrees for preheating. I called FNHW, after an hour on hold, I asked them are they gonna cover it or not, they said don't know, pay the 75 and we will come out and tell you. The contract states "cover all parts that affect the operation of... oven" so I assume it is covered, the heating element and the bottom oven paint. Instead of answering me, they said will transfer me to another customer service to go over the contract with me, put me on hold for another 30 min, hung up, I called back and as of now I am still on hold. I would be lucky if they pick up the phone before I die of old age.

Original review: May 21, 2020

Very, very bad customer service, they sent the same person 3 times to come check my AC unit and after 3 times they blamed it on the condenser and said we only cover normal wear and tear. What is a wear and tear on AC unit, rust or what. They did not cover it and it took them 2 months to tell me that they won't be replacing the unit even when their employee said yes you are covered to get it replaced. Don't use this company, don't buy their services, they just don't stand behind their word.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I’ve had this service for 6 years. I submitted a couple claims and it went OK. Then my air conditioner went out two weeks ago. They told me it would two weeks to fix it. We are now on week 3 with no response from Fidelity or the AC company. All I need to know is where the part is or if it is shipped but no one can tell me. I was promised a call back 4 days in a row without anyone reaching out. This has been so painful. I’ve spent 6 hours in total on hold/on the phone with a customer service rep. They don’t let you talk to purchasing who have all the details. I was told they don’t give out their last names on the phone so you can’t hold anyone accountable. I recommend no one using this company. I not only have been cheated and lied to but have had to live in a hot house in Arizona for 3 plus weeks with no date of fixing it.

Original review: May 7, 2020

Our water heater went out 3 days ago. Put in a service request. Tech came right away, saw the issue, he needs a part. Cost $35 to overnight, Fidelity won’t pay it. It will be here in 4 days. No shower.

Original review: May 6, 2020

The worst. Find another provider. Tried to schedule an AC tune up a few months ago and were told that it could not be scheduled. We called again today and were told that the tune up could not occur because it was "too late". In addition they will always find ways to not cover what they owe. We had an issue with our dishwasher and paid 75$ out of pocket and they were able to find one thing to avoid paying anything. We ended up paying for a new dishwasher on top of 75$ lost. Too bad 0 star is not an option.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity National Home Warranty?

Original review: April 7, 2020

We had an problem with a couple of our outlets not working. I called the home warranty and they charged me $75 service fee. They assign the call to DNZ property services and the technician comes and not even opens the panel and tells the home warranty that we need a larger panel and it costs several thousand dollars. I go to my daughter's house and I open up the panel and use my volt meter and find out one of the breakers is bad. I take it out and go to AAA breakers, buy a new one and come back put it in and the problem is solved.

I call the home warranty company and tell her that the DNZ tech guy never even opened the panel to check the breakers and why I have to pay $75 for that and she hangs up on me!!!! I am looking for a new home warranty company. You should too. She said it is my word against the technician. She might as well called me a liar to my face. But hanging up on me was the worst. Her name was Kathy. I am so angry. More angry at her than the stupid technician from DNZ. All they care is to make thousands of dollars. But the home warranty people are supposed to be more understanding. She was telling me that I would have had to pay another electrical company their service call and of course they would have charged me a lot to come and replace the breaker. Only then, they would have agreed to send another technician to check it out for free. It is so stupid that I don't know what to say.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I have had the home warranty coverage for about 6 years on a rental home of mine, and had used it a couple of times pretty successfully. I don't know what happened to this company, but they have really gone downhill. I had a repair to a hot water heater that I had to pay for up front because it was under warranty, and I followed Fidelity's instructions to a T as to how I could be reimbursed for this invoice. I got no response what so ever, even after attempting to contact them numerous times. Finally I was so frustrated, I wrote to cancel my policy. I was given misinformation, and had to followup about the cancellation 2 or 3 times before I finally got a response. Supposedly the check is in the mail... We'll see. Avoid doing business with Fidelity National Home Warranty at all cost. You will regret it!

Original review: March 14, 2020

Horrifically dishonest company. Would give them a zero star if I could. I had a contract with them for two years. They repeatedly sent out repair companies who were grossly incompetent and put out the minimum of effort with very poor workmanship. My nightmare began having an A/C-furnace go out last June. We live in the desert near Palm Springs. We were just leaving the area for 3 months and could not return. They would not allow our usual HVAC repair company, Hides AC, to do the work. Instead, they sent out a single man and wife company - Dove Air. He came out and said he needed to replace my top of the line American Standard unit with a cheaper Payne unit. I paid $75 service and an additional $995 for “items not covered with AC replacements.”

Since we were literally going out the door, I reluctantly agreed - big mistake. Dove ordered and "installed" the new unit. About two weeks later we were emailed saying the work was all done. We had no reason to doubt them. About a week later we got a call from our neighbor who was periodically checking on the house telling us it was 95° in the house with no AC. I called Dove and was completely blown off. They said their work and responsibility were all done. They would not help at all and said I had to contact Payne directly for “a warranty” problem. So, I called Payne, they said Hydes was a certified warranty company, and I should call them.

Hydes came out for a “warranty” evaluation and found that the low voltage system had been completely short circuited at the time of installation and felt that the unit had never worked at all and the low-voltage system had been damaged during installation – not really a “warranty” failure but installation incompetency. Payne’s warranty covers parts but not labor charges for repair. Hydes ordered the low voltage cooling system parts from Payne (who initially likewise said this wasn’t really a “warranty” failure) and installed them. This is now almost 6 weeks in the middle of 110°+ weather. Our neighbor confirmed AC now working.

The labor cost from Hydes' “warranty” was ~$2000. I called Fidelity and asked for a 2K reimbursement. They denied any responsibility by saying that Dove should have told me to call them for “warranty” repair and not Payne. After multiple calls and slowly working my way up the managerial responsibility chain, they agree to pay me ~$1500 but said I had to get the remaining myself from Dove. They wouldn’t talk to Dove. However, Dove did agree to pay me ~$500! So now almost 4 months after the unit went out, we had a working Payne AC.

In October it finally started getting cold enough we turned on the furnace. Surprise – it didn’t work. I called Hydes again – I wasn’t about to call Fidelity or Dove. They came out and found that the low voltage part of the furnace system was also burned out. No one had tested the furnace portion earlier. They replaced again with “warranty” parts and with another $500 labor. Needless to say Fidelity again denied all responsibility and after another barrage of hostile calls insisted I get the money again from Dove.

So the total time from calling Fidelity with a dead AC/Furnace to complete operational replacement was six months. By now, I had completely had it with Fidelity. I cancelled my 1 yr subscription in February – wanted to be sure it worked for a time… Their policy is $1.50 refund a day on remaining days less a $50.00 administrative fee. OK… This meant that they owed me $237 for the remainder of the year. BUT then they said that since they had given me a check for the $1500 I had paid for the labor cost of the AC “warranty,” that they didn’t owe me anything because that counted as “service costs” and negated them owing me the $237. Again multiple phone calls could not make them understand that the $1500 was not anything they had paid to one of their contractors but rather direct reimbursement to me for extra costs I had paid out of pocket for the original incompetent installation.

I’m 75 yrs old and have owned and maintained houses for almost 50 years. I’ve experienced many types of warranties and contracts over that time. This is the first time I’ve ever had such a horrific experience with any company of this type. They absolutely are incapable of understanding how complicated all this became and always said I was the one at fault. Given that they are going to limit repairs to the newest, cheapest, and inexperienced company up front, they constantly refer back to this or that part of their “warranty contract” that relieves them of any additional cost or responsibility. They have no sympathy nor any ethical responsibility to correct the buyer’s problem. They can be very rude and condescending. I vehemently recommend all homeowners to avoid this irresponsible and horrible company completely!

Original review: March 11, 2020

I just recently got a plan by a friend's recommendation. My washer broke down. The technician came and gone twice and the machine still not working. The company they set me up with was so rude and doesn't care that they delay me and I don't have a washer for 2 weeks because they keep rescheduling my appt. I called Fidelity and asked for them to set me up with another company, they told me a supervisor will call me back. This guy by the name Alan called back and asked me to let him know what happened. After telling him everything. He did not even bother with how much frustration I had to deal with. He just told me that my option is to get a second opinion and they will review. I asked what does that mean, he vaguely told me they don't do hypotheticals and will go through the review and will let me know. I ask what does letting me know mean. He said he can't tell me that until the review is done.

I asked so if the second company could fix the machine then can I get my refund and all he said that he doesn't know until the review is finalized. I said what would be the factor to be determined for me to get my refund or reimbursement and he said, "Like I told you. We can't determine that until the review is finalized." His attitude was so rude and unhelpful. I decided to tell him if that's the case then I will just have the company that started the work to finish it since I already paid the service fee. He then told me that he doesn't recommend it and advised against it. I just told him I don't care for his advice and he wasn't very helpful. I would never go with these unethical crooks again. Stay away from them if you don't want to be treated like dirt and get no services but only frustration and ripped off.

Original review: March 9, 2020

Well this is my history, I had a problem with my furnace that is not working properly, I call to this company to make an appointment with the technician and wait for two days. That wasn’t bad but technician did just a reset in the unit (just unplug the power cord) and the unit turn on normally but the problem was that furnace doesn’t go more than 70 degrees in cold weather and his report was the furnace wasn’t getting enough air to heat, and he left paying him the $75 fees and now furnace is not working at all and call the company again and company just said is not covered by warranty, after that I pay another technician but not from this company and now furnace is working perfect, was a bad sensor in the unit so I pay $250 to get fixed. I dont recommend this company is a joke, you pay home warranty just for nothing.

Fidelity National Home Warranty Company Information