1.00/5
Based on 15 reviews that contain star ratings

Save on Repairs with a Home Warranty

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

19 Fidelity National Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had a plumbing issue where the water leaked from the third floor all the way to the garage. On a weekend, we had to get someone to come over quickly to stop the leak. So they only "cut the pipe" and "capped" it to stop the leak. So that we wouldn't be charged the "premium" rate on a weekend. Then I realized that we had Fidelity home warranty, and promptly called them. I described the whole issue, including the cut and capped pipe. So they sent over someone almost certain that it is covered.

When their plumber arrives, they - including Fidelity - conclude that it is not covered by the warranty. So they charge me the $75. And deny the job because they said that they "can't replace something that is not originally there." So I offered to call back the weekend plumber to show them the "cut pipe." And they said that the policy is that they should "see the original materials" otherwise they can't replace. So, I can't get them to do their job because their "skeptical" of what is being replaced. Even if the walls are opened up from third floor all the way to the garage as proof that the leak happened.

So in my disgust, I called to cancel my policy. Only to be told that they are charging me $50 cancellation fee. So I question what for? And they said that it is in the contract. So they collected $75 from me for "diagnosis" and another $50 for cancellation charges that they couldn't even itemize. They initially said that it was for the "refunding" of my pro-rated payment. And I said, for $50? For a click of a button to the bank - which by the way, every retailer practically does for free? This company is a money-siphoning insurance company. Please don't make the mistake of signing up with them. They treat you shabbily.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have dealt with several home warranty companies in the last 25 yrs being in real estate. I have never seen any company as horrific as this one. Shame on them. They refused to repair my appliance that was not working properly in the house and call it a pre-existing condition. Such a great excuse not to pay for the repairs. On top of it, they charged the service fee of $75. If you are planning to buy home warranty from this lousy, dishonest unreliable company with the rudest salesperson in Orange County, then do not waste your money. They will not repair a thing. I canceled them the first month, very smart move.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Actually would not even give 1 star if had a choice. The authorization department might not exist. One call today, on hold for over 30 min and had to get back to work. Second call today was told wait time over 30 min. Call FNHW home office, no help said to call the authorization department. Typical insurance co runaround. Ask home office if they were understaffed, person replied NO. Guess they just don't want to service their policies.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Fidelity Home Warranty has refused to fulfill their contractual obligation to fix our refrigerator. They will also not return any of our calls relating to this claim. We have been on hold for over 13 hours over the past couple weeks. They have scheduled nine repair attempts and no service tech has been able to successfully fix our refrigerator. It's now time for Fidelity to perform and replace this appliance. The treatment we have received from our customer service Chris (woman) was disgusting, and rude. We are looking for a full replacement of our refrigerator.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Called them out for a problem with the refrigerator. The technician came out and claimed the problem was that the door wasn't closing properly because the drawer was partially out and preventing the door to close. A few weeks later, still having the same problem and I was sure the door has been closed. Called for a technician to check it out again, within the 30 day period. They came out, now they say it is a compressor that is intermittent and needs to be replaced. However, they are charging me for 2 service calls.

I have tried to call and speak with some at the company about the double service call charges for the same issue. I had to wait 17 minutes for first person to pick up the phone, only to tell me that he needs to forward it to another dept. The second wait was 1 hour 12 min, and then I got disconnected. Then I had to call back wait another 16 minutes for someone to answer the call, to tell me that they need to forward to another dept again. My recommendation is to DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. PICK ANY OTHER COMPANY. THEY HAVE VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity National Home Warranty?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I would give them no stars if possible. Long story, so bear with me... I called them on a Tuesday in July for A/C repairs. The company they chose to send me to, didn't call me for a week (after me having to call that AC company twice (was only ever able to leave messages)). I also tried calling Fidelity after not hearing from them during that week, but was told by a recorded voice that it would be a 25 minute wait to speak to someone!

Finally the AC company called me the following Tuesday, and couldn't come out for yet another week - two weeks total from when I filed the claim. I live in So. CA, and there has been a massive heat wave - continuous. My AC, was on constantly - and never got below 81 or 82 (at best - sometimes 85 - with AC at full blast), all day (and I have a dog, so not like I could turn it off). The AC company came out and fixed it (I hope), and it's working a bit better.

HOWEVER... Today I got my lovely electrical bill (AC) and (even though I turn off the AC every night) it went from $116.80 last month to $630.47 (my house is 1500sf)!!! So not only is that a 540% increase in one month, but I also have to pay the $75 service call to Fidelity. I called Fidelity (15 minute hold time) - they blamed the AC company for the timing, and me for not calling to complain about the company not calling me (I had - but it was a 25 minute wait to speak with someone).

I then called the AC company, and they blamed Fidelity - said they had sent an email to them (cc'ing the higher ups) to NOT give them any more contracts as they were completely backed up. They sent them my contract anyway. I then called Fidelity again (yet another 15 minute wait) and asked to speak to a manager, who just keep referring to their "contract" - continually saying "it's not in our contract to pay your bill just because it took the company longer to come out to fix the appliance, we are just there to pay for the appliance to get fixed".

I told him I was not in any way asking him to him to pay the whole bill, I felt it was fair to pay a portion of my own bill of course, but asked him for some sort of customer service "Goodwill" - just to keep a customer happy (I mean seriously, $50 wouldn't have killed them - throw someone a bone, and they're happy). He of course reverted back yet again to the "contract" and said that if they did that for me, they'd have to do it for everybody (which begs the question - does this happen often???).

Word to the wise. Do NOT, whatever you do - use this company, or buy a Home Warranty from this company. It would've been probably the same price for a simple service call as the $75 co-pay I have to pay them, and I would've gotten my AC fixed faster - probably more efficiently, saved hours on the phone, and my bill would probably be half of what it is. Extremely disappointed in their customer service, follow up and attitude of the management on the phone. No wonder they have a 1 Star rating on Consumer Affairs, and 191 Negative posts on the BBB - as well as 630 Customer complaints on that website (631 after I'm done. So short sighted. A tiny bit of help would've gone a really long way to keeping a customer happy, have them renew their warranty for next year, and recommend their company to others. It's a shame... Bad Business.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

The first incident was a washer and dryer--both broken after close of escrow. The company sent took months to effect the repair, stood me up multiple, multiple times, told me the machine could not be repaired, and then called after I had replaced it saying the original washer could have been repaired and I was wrong to have accepted the verbal report of the technician. When I complained to Fidelity and noted that the Yelp reviews were abysmal on this company, their response was "Those reviews are often biased and we will continue to use this provider" (!!!). This most recent event was a broken spa--spent 45 minutes on hold to get hold of Fidelity after the repair company abruptly cancelled, received authorization up to $700, then was told today that the repair is not covered. Great support Fidelity. Will NEVER recommend this company to our clients.

Original review: July 27, 2018

They hire the worst contractors; it took 5 weeks to get my toilet repaired, the plumber had to come out four times before he finally got it fixed. Now I am trying to get my A/C repaired; put in the request 3 weeks ago, and I'm still waiting. When I call to try to get a status update, the hold time is over an hour! Worst customer service ever.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have requested to have my air condition repaired on July 1, 2018 and today is July 25th and still waiting. Made numerous calls to the service and authorization department and they act like all is well and the serviceman will call ASAP. I have agreed to make the co payment and service fee and yet my AC serviceman is still waiting for them to authorize the repair. I have had other Home Owner's warranty insurance companies in the past and this company is by far the worst!!!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Broken dishwasher drain pump. Tech came out and assessed. I heard nothing for days. Had to call any time I wanted an update. Lots of back and forth with the service vendor; tech's notes weren't clear. A MONTH LATER finally just told them I wanted to cash out because of how incompetent they are. I'm glad my dishwasher pump which has been running continuously for a month didn't burn up, catch fire and burn my house down with my dogs inside. EVERY time I called it was a 20+ minute wait. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. This company should be EMBARRASSED.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I have had Fidelity for many years and have had great experiences...until now. Their authorization department is way behind and I need a new compressor for my air conditioner in July. I was told that the purchase order would be expedited and that has not been my experience. I'm being told that they will get to it when they can and when asked to speak to a supervisor I was told they will call me when they have time. What? I have small children and it's supposed to be over 100 degrees and no one can tell me when Fidelity will send the p.o. to the vendor to order the part. I'm very disappointed and will no longer be recommending Fidelity to my friends. Their customer service today was horrible!

Original review: June 28, 2018

Fidelity was notified on May 24th, 2018 that there was a problem with the air conditioner. Today is June 27th. As of today, now, 4:54 pm, I still do not have a date as to when they will be fixing the problem. The house in question is in Sedona Arizona where the temperatures have reached 103 degrees. Inside the home it has been over 90 degrees. Because Fidelity has not done their part, by taking care of the problem in a reasonable time, my tenants, occupying the house, were forced to go to a hotel, and had to tell their guest, their grandchildren, to go back home to California. In my opinion this beyond unreasonable. Both myself and my tenant are at our wit's end. I have spoken to several managers. It is clear to me that they simply do not care. Disgusted with Fidelity.

Updated on 07/10/2018: Fidelity National Home Warranty, was called on May 24th, 2018, to come and service an A/C that was not working. They finally took care of it on June 29th. I called them on a regular basis to see what was holding up the progress, but that did not help. Temps reached 103 and inside the house it reached to 90 and over. Our tenant were forced to go stay in a hotel, in which they refuse to pay. Their entire lives for those five weeks and one day, was completely disrupted. As an example they had to send their grandchildren back to California, missing on a long awaited and anticipated vacation together.

Who is FNHW to control people's lives. This was not beyond their control. The only thing beyond their control was waiting for the parts to come in, which took a week, that is what they told me. My tenant were forced to go to a hotel because they could no longer live there with that heat. They conducted themself, at the very least, in a very unprofessional at the expense of others. I did not want to give them the one star but I forced to in order for this complain go through.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I placed a service call for garage door - the springs and the pull-wire broke and needed replacement. Only mechanical parts. All electrical parts were good and fully functional including the motor, keypads, opener button and remote clickers, all by brand GENIE.

The technician from Cosco Garage Door Sw came and said he would fix it no problem. When he came back with the parts and finished the job - I was devastated. All electrical parts were replaced by new system called Genesis, he advised me that he did me a favor replacing the motor and this new motor is far superior to GENIE. But not compatible with any other systems, including universal openers, etc... He charged me $90 extra for wall button as he stated HW doesn't cover it and its not compatible with new motor. Why do I have to pay for this if it didn't need to be changed as well as the motor 0- it is not optional accessory, it is part of operating system!! !

Keypad started malfunctioning in 5 days. I checked the Genesis company on-line to see the warranty and was horrified again.

Genesis is just formed, sells their one model of openers to few repair people on high commission basis, the company is shady, unknown, has no presence in any stores, has no service, no contact phone number, no address, no accessories available and no customer service or support. It is not compatible with any garage openers accessories. I cant order anything or get any service for it anywhere except this Cosco that installed it which is father and son business run by 2 people. I couldn't reach them for 5 days, they didn't return the calls. I contacted HW and asked them to fix it, as well as told them the whole story. They promised me to send technician back but when I finally reached Cosco 1 week later and apparently the guy never heard from HW about coming back. So, many calls later WITH OVER 50 MINUTES +++ wait time every time - I still dont have a functional garage door, my family members cant enter the house as handicap entrance is only through the garage. This is unacceptable.

Also I have a question - the problem was with belt and springs, our old garage door motor by Genie worked well - much better than the new Genesis one. WHY DID HE CHANGE IT? To make more money on you. Also - if he changes the system (for no reason) you should cover new keypad and opener as the system he put in is not universal and not compatible with anything and comes with its own clickers - THERE IS NO ACCESSORY AVAILABLE FOR GENESIS ON LINE OR IN STORES - so he took advantage of us to sell the push-button for $90, when equivalent of it for any other brand sells for $15-20 on line and in Home Depot and Sears. Its thievery and fraud.

Original review: July 15, 2016

If I could give this company a zero I would! I have never seen a company so horrible in all of my days of working in Real Estate and investing! We own a rental with tenants that have had problems with their dishwasher for two years now. The technicians keep coming out to "fix" it along with several 60.00 service fees. By the way, after the year contract is up, and is renewed, the service agreement apparently starts over. After several phone calls to the company letting them know that I didn't feel that "repairing" the dishwasher for a few hours before it stops working again is NOT a repair. The dishwasher obviously is not repairable and needs to be replaced. When they still refused to replace it, I let them know this was unacceptable and we would need to start looking into other companies for our 3 rentals if they would not replace the dishwasher. I spoke with the supervisor and the next thing I knew they cancelled all future appointments for the dishwasher stating that we were looking into other companies so they refuse to do any more work for us! I am mortified and will be writing complaints to the BBB, as we'll as YELP. If you are looking into home warranty companies this is not the one! !

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

I had gotten a home warranty from fidelity national. First had a gas leak. They sent someone that did not know where the leak was. Then I call them the same day for them to send me someone experienced. They told me to wait 4 days for them to get the okay on gas leak. So I had to have the gas fix and pay for because it was very dangerous. They don't want to pay for them.

The dishwasher had to be fixed. They sent someone after 5 days. They had to change the motor and other big parts. The dishwasher still did not work. I called them, they sent the same person to look at it then they call me and said they not going to fix. They were going to replace the dishwasher. Then I did not hear from them for a week. I call to get a response. No call back. It went on for weeks of argue with them. They never straight never honest. They are liars and not professional they are very tricky.

I got a new dishwasher myself and I still did not get money back and the funny part a employee of their office call her name is ** said she was going to send me a check to send her the bill of the purchase and the installation. I had to call for week. I left message she never call back and then I get a letter that they change their mind they're not going to pay.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2007

This insurance company has been providing me with coverage since 2005. They have all the information in regards to what the house contains inward and outward with detail. In May 2007 I renewed my policy and discovered that they have been applying coverage for a pool, so I have been paying extra for a pool that is non existent. They made a mistake by applying a pool coverage charge.

I then called to inform them that the pool policy has been a mistake on their part and that I have been paying wrongfully for something that is not being covered since the property has never, nor will ever have a pool. I wanted them to return this pool charge amount.When I called I was informed that they couldn't return my money. Their reason being that they have been providing for 3 months of pool coverage. Keep in mind once again there is no pool and they knew this since I've been their customer since 2005, so in the past three months only they decided to add this pool charge.

Original review: April 17, 2007

On 4/13/07 Fidelity National Home Warrantee Co (FNHW) delivered a black dishwasher that I did Not order and now they said they will not exchange it for the color (Bisque) that I ordered. Over the past few months I sent several emails to FNHW which specifically stated the dishwasher must be in the color Bisque which is a light tan/cream color. FNHW had a company deliver the dishwasher to my house and leave it on my porch in a box when I was not home. Since it was in a box, I could not see the color. The appliance repairman took the old dishwasher out before the new dishwasher was opened from the box. Then the new dishwasher box was opened and installed. FNHW is now telling me that I am stuck with the black dishwasher because as soon as it is delivered in the box there are no exchanges and no returns. This is extremely unfair since I have proof I asked for the dishwasher in Bisque (Not black).

After I started proving what the FNHW reps were telling me was incorrect by showing them previous emails, they refused to communicate with me through email. It seems as though they do not want to work through emails because emails help prove the issues of them not conducting business ethically.

Most times I call, the service reps did not correctly document the issues I called in for. They left out important information in the case notes which cause them to create new cases each time I had to call back to re-iterate all the appliance & plumbing issues. They did not document the problems I had with the first Plumber. Since they failed to document the case notes correctly from the beginning, they were able to charge me duplicate service fees for the same work. The wax seal was not installed properly which caused the toilet to continue to leak so I had to pay for another service fee to fix what the original plumber did not fix properly. In the beginning, the rep only documented 1 issue when I called even though I mentioned the numerous issues that need fixed.

** is the rep I have been talking with over the past few months however I can rarely reach her by phone. On several occasions when she was out of work for extended periods I left her several voice mail messages that were not returned until several days later. Sometimes she did not return my calls at all. The other reps told me they cant help me because ** is the only one who can handle my case. ** was unprofessional and rude to me so I asked ** and other reps several different times to let me speak to her boss (**) but they keep refusing to let me speak with **. I have several emails to prove my case against Fidelity National Home Warranty co and would be happy to forward them to you at your request.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2003

Purchased a contract for home buyers in May per escrow. Buyers escrow fell through. Called to cancel contract. Per their contract, it IS cancellable if escrow falls through. To date, I have faxed the appropriate escrow documents to them three times and made eight phone calls, all being promised to credit me the $330.00 I had paid. Recent phone calls implied that too much time had expired since contract purchase. I have been contacting them since the escrow fell through, and they have done nothing about it. All supervisors have not responded.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2001

It was raining on Saturday 12/29 and I woke up to find water dripping down from the light in the kitchen. I called my home warranty company and told them of this problem. They sent out a plumber who ripped a hole into our ceiling and couldn't find the leak. He then ripped another hole in our ceiling in a different area and still couldn't find the leak, but told us that it was coming from the hot water pipe from the upstairs shower. He said he couldn't get access to it from the two holes he had already cut and proceeded to cut yet another large hole in my cabinet wall. Still he said he couldn't get to the leak and he would have to get to it from the outside and he would have to cut a hole into our house from the outside.

Since it was raining and our home warranty company's insurance doesn't cover accidents if the plumber gets hurt in the rain they said he would have to come out another day to do this. Since they don't work on Sundays they rescheduled for Monday afternoon. He turned off the water to our house and left. This left us without water from Saturday to Monday. I have a 13 month old baby that needs to take baths and have water, etc. Sunday I called the warranty company back and insisted that they send someone out since it was not raining and I needed to have the problem fixed so that I could turn the water back on. After several attempts and resistance from the customer service rep, Jason, they did finally send out a second company who said that there was no plumbing leak. Instead the water was coming from the rain leaking in from a vent.

Moreover, he said that a good plumber would never have cut holes in the house when it is raining without first checking for leaks like that. He then told us that we could turn the water back on (in fact we never had to turn the water off in the first place). We were very inconvenienced by this and also because there were three holes cut into our house and it is winter it is more expensive to keep the house warm. The warranty company claims that they will only patch the holes in the ceiling and wall to a rough finish (I would expect that they should repair it to a final finish since it was never necessary to cut the holes in the first place) and they do not take responsibility for the misdiagnosis from the first plumber and they do not feel they have to compensate me for what he did and the inconvenience of going with out water. I want to know if I have a case to have them take responsibility for the plumber they sent out and his misdiagnosis and repair the holes in the house to a final finish.

Fidelity National Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

Fidelity National Home Warranty sells home warranties to both home buyers and home sellers. With a history of superior customer service dating back to 1978, Fidelity National Home Warranty services Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington.

• Variable rates: Depending on where you live, your rate with Fidelity National Home Warranty will vary. Check the Fidelity National Home Warranty website to see your available rates. Coverage starts 30 days after purchase.

• For buyers and sellers: Fidelity sells warranties to both home buyers and home sellers. Buyers can cover their purchases and ensure longer life for their appliances, and sellers can include their warranty in their offer.

• Trained service representatives: Local licensed service representatives are available to answer your questions and help you with any appliance problems you have. All it takes is one call to guarantee service.

• Ways to purchase: There are several ways to get a Fidelity warranty. You can purchase warranties online, over the phone or from a local dealer or real estate agent.

• Maintenance guides: From cleaning your garbage disposal to making small plumbing repairs, Fidelity has several PDF guides to maintaining your home and appliances. All of them are available online for free.

• Best for: homeowners and home sellers looking for extra appliance coverage.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Fidelity National Home Warranty Company Information