Choice Home Warranty vs. Home Warranty of America
Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you
What is the difference between Choice Home Warranty and Home Warranty of America?
Home warranties are useful when essential household systems and appliances break down. But with considerations like cost, service call fees and coverage, it can be hard to find the right warranty company to work with. We are here to help by breaking down two home warranty companies —Choice Home Warranty and Home Warranty of America — side by side to help make your choice easier.
|Monthly premium cost||$46.83 to $54.75||$43 to $55.31|
|Average cost for combo plan||$54.75 (Total plan)||$55.31 (Premier Plus)|
|Annual premium cost||$532 to $627 (for 13 months)||$516 to $663.72|
|Service call fee||$85||$75 or $100|
|Discounts available||Discounts for paying annually; free 13th month||Not specified|
|$46.83 to $54.75||$54.75 (Total plan)||$532 to $627 (for 13 months)||$85||Discounts for paying annually; free 13th month|
|$43 to $55.31||$55.31 (Premier Plus)||$516 to $663.72||$75 or $100||Not specified|
|Plans available||Basic, Total||Premier, Premier Plus|
|Combo plan covered items||16||20|
|Service recall period||30 days for labor; 90 days for parts||90 days on parts; 30 days on labor|
|Availability||48 states||50 states|
|Basic, Total||8||8||16||30 days for labor; 90 days for parts||48 states|
|Premier, Premier Plus||10||10||20||90 days on parts; 30 days on labor||50 states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||—||—|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Garage door openers|
|Roof leak repairs||Add-on||Add-on|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.0||3.7|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All prices are based on a quote for a house of less than 5,000 square feet in Austin, Texas. All information is accurate as of publishing.
Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty offers two home warranty plans, each with an $85 service call fee. Both plans cover systems and appliances. Customers can make claims 24/7 either by using the online account center or calling. It works with prescreened local contractors for repair work. Coverage is available in every state except Washington and California.
Choice Home Warranty plans
Choice Home Warranty offers two plans: Basic and Total.
- Basic: The Basic plan covers the electrical system, plumbing system, plumbing stoppage, heating system, oven/range/stove, ductwork, water heater, cooktop, whirlpool bathtub, garage door opener, ceiling fan, kitchen exhaust fan, dishwasher, garbage disposal and built-in microwave.
- Total: The Total plan covers everything in the Basic plan, plus your air conditioning system, refrigerator, washer and dryer.
Choice Home Warranty also offers add-on coverage for a pool/spa, limited roof leak, well pump, septic system, sump pump, septic tank pumping, stand-alone freezer, second refrigerator and central vacuum.
What Choice Home Warranty customers say
Choice Home Warranty customers rate the company positively on ConsumerAffairs. Customers are pleased with knowledgeable and friendly technicians. Additionally, customers have said the claims process is quick and easy. Some customers have expressed frustration with long waits for essential repairs.
Home Warranty of America
Home Warranty of America has two home warranty plans and service call fees of $75 and $100, depending on the plan and state where you live. Plans cover systems and appliances, but the higher-end Premier Plus option covers more parts and components per item. Customers can make claims 24/7 online or by phone to get service from a prescreened, licensed service technician. Coverage is available in all 50 states.
Home Warranty of America plans
- Premier: With the Premier plan, you get “basic coverage” for your heating system, water heater, plumbing system, dishwasher, built-in microwave, range/oven/cooktop, trash compactor and garage door system. You also have coverage for your electrical system, ductwork, whirlpool bathtub, permanent sump pump, washing machine, dryer, refrigerator, garbage disposal, central vacuum, ceiling fans, exhaust fans, doorbell and burglar and fire alarm systems.
- Premier Plus: Home Warranty of America’s Premier Plus plan includes coverage for everything offered in the Premier plan, with “premium coverage” instead of basic coverage, which protects more components in certain items. Premier Plus also covers your air conditioning system.
Home Warranty of America also offers optional coverage for roof leak repair, a pool and spa, stand-alone freezer, second refrigerator, well pump and septic tank pumping. You can add the Green Plus option, which replaces covered systems and appliances with Energy Star-certified products. The Orange Plus add-on covers re-keying, removal of defective equipment, code violations and permits up to $250, increased toilet replacement up to $600 and more.
What Home Warranty of America customers say
Reviews for Home Warranty of America are mixed on ConsumerAffairs. Many say that customer service is top-notch and representatives are helpful. Additionally, customers are happy with the quick turnaround after a claim is filed. On the other hand, some customers say claims have been closed out before repairs are completed and are dissatisfied with service from representatives.
Bottom line: Choice Home Warranty or Home Warranty of America?
Choice Home Warranty and Home Warranty of America both provide similar options for home warranties, with two plans that cover systems and appliances. The prices are also comparable: You can expect to pay around $55 per month for each company’s higher-end plan (though the service call fee is different). Home Warranty of America offers customers the ability to cover a slightly wider variety of household items.
- Choice Home Warranty is best for customers who want coverage for both systems and appliances from an experienced home warranty company that has protected over 1 million homes in the U.S.
- Home Warranty of America is best for homeowners who want more coverage depth and add-on options.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.