Century Shower Doors

Compare Bath & Plumbing Companies

Research top Bath & Plumbing Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

FYI - Century makes medicine cabinets along with fabricating shower glass that either they or others will install. So even if you deal with another company for the shower install, they may be getting the glass from Century. Our first (and last) dealing with Century concerned a pair of medicine cabinets and as a result, we (fortunately) didn't use Century for the shower glass or install (we recommend EASCO). We ordered the pair of cabinets with the expectation that they be touching each other. Some companies sell a "connecting or ganging kit" to hold the 2 together.

A month or 2 after I ordered the cabinets, my contractor called asking where the connecting kit was. I would think it'd be in the box? I called the supply house where we got it but our rep was out. Calling Century, a woman in customer DISservice says the connecting kit has to be ordered, is sold separately and would be supplied in a separate box from the cabinets. I couldn't remember if I ordered the kit!

Trying to check at the supply house - "did we order the connecting kit", but they were busy and my contractor was waiting on me. Looking on the Century website, on the install instructions, it lists the connector kit as a part in the box just like shelves, shelf clips, etc. Not as an add-on purchase. And on a PDF about the different models of cabinets, it says "connecting kit: included". WTF!? I call Century again and get someone competent who can see our order and says the connecting kit WAS requested and is IN one of the cabinet boxes at no charge. Requested? Yes, we include it WHEN IT IS ASKED FOR. Again, WTF? So it's not "connecting kit: included" but rather "connecting kit: available on request". Did you forget to tell Century how you are installing the 2 cabinets and then have to wait for them to ship it? And what about the first person I spoke to that was adamant that the connecting kit is SOLD and ships in its own box?

Once you install the 2 cabinets with the connecting kit, you lose 2 rows for shelves! There's only 8 rows of openings for the shelves to rest on. With the connecting kit, you have 6! Want more than a couple inches between shelves? AVOID Century! OH! FYI - they offer a 'slow close" optional (additional cost) feature on the cabinets. This is NOT a different hinge. It is an add-on item you can buy for a fraction of the price they charge for them AND you'd have to install them even if bought from Century (they just clip on the existing hinges). Google "Blum 973A6000". You can order 1 for each hinge (rather than 1 per cabinet), and you are still paying LESS at retail prices than they charge you to throw them in the box after they bought them at WHOLESALE. Overall, they wasted too much of my and my contractor's time. We were planning on having Century do the shower glass and install the glass but we went elsewhere for both.

Door has a design defect which allows water to splash onto rubber bumpers and outside the tracks (if you have one you will know what I mean). Company sells a "splash guard" for the model if it was "installed incorrectly." Would not send someone from Century to look at the door. Was willing to give the "splash guard" for free. Why does a company need to make a splash guard for a product that is designed correctly to keep water in the shower? Because it is a design flaw that they don't want to take responsibility for.

Home Depot to buy frameless shower doors, they had Century Shower Door come to my home for measurements, etc. Installation was scheduled and frameless shower door was installed. I was told to let it stand for 24 hours and not touch, I did as I was told, once I tried to use shower door, discovered scratches on towel bar and the outside door wobbled with EXCESSIVE LOUD NOISE, inside door did not. I called Century Shower Door with concerns, was told to contact salesman and have him come out to inspect. It took over 2 weeks to get salesman back out. The salesman inspected, told me it was good that I bought the MAJOR wobbling of outer door to this attention, because it could cause more major problems down the road. He wrote up work order and said I would hear from Century Shower by Monday of the following week. I never heard from them.

I called Tuesday and Century said they did not have paper work from SALESMAN and that Century Showers would call me on Thursday, they did not call. I called on Friday and they scheduled repairs for the following week on Wednesday. Technician came on Wednesday, replaced towel bar and then proceeded to tell me he could not fix the excessive wobbling and noise. He said this was the standard and I had to accept it. I told him I would not. He said the repair would be expensive and his company would not approve. He added comments on work order, marked it incomplete and told me to call his boss which I did. The boss said he would speak with technical and get back to me, he never got back to me. I then called Home Depot and told them, either fix it or take it back, Home Depot sided with Century and said the work order was complete and I would have to start all over again with the salesman coming out again.

I had made a copy of the work order before the technician left and proceeded to tell Home Depot that and said my copy was marked INCOMPLETE. Two hours later I got a call from Century Shower Door to make an appointment for repairs. Today they finally came with new spacer which corrected the problem. The Director of Operations from Century said he did not understand why the salesman said what he did and that excessive wobbling and noise was the standard but because I was so dissatisfied, they had a special spacer made to correct problem which they installed today.

I would never recommend Century Shower Door to anyone, Century Shower Door's customer service sucks! AND WHAT THE DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS SAYS IS THEIR STANDARD IS WAY BELOW WHAT I WOULD ACCEPT. I also had others take a look and they all agreed that the shower door SHOULD NOT WOBBLE TO THE EXCESS THAT IT DID AND MAKE THE NOISE THAT IT DID.

I made an appointment with Century Shower doors for an estimate. I was given a window: 9-11 o'clock on a given day. The salesman never came. I called the customer service at eleven; they had the salesman call me. He said that he had a lot of other estimates and was running late. I asked him why he never even called me to say he was delayed, and he had no answer. I told him that we could forget about the whole thing -- or he could come at 5 PM. He had no answer for that, so it was obvious he wasn't really serious about getting our business. The moral of the story: Century is unreliable and not concerned with client satisfaction. Do not call!

Our bathroom remodel resulted in numerous issues including timeliness, responsibility for results. We were told that the door could not be ordered until all the walls & tile were installed as it was custom made. "Expedited" shipping got the $800.00 door here in about 3 weeks. Less than 5 months after it was installed, the rubber gasket at the bottom of the door is coming off. Because of the issues we had with the providers & contractors, I am reluctant to go to them about this issue. I am writing to Century Door in hopes that they will make it right.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Century Shower Door?

A gentleman came to our home, sold us a shower door. Very expensive but we believed it would be good. Stated in writing 10 to 17 days to install. Individual stated that he was the salesman but he would coordinate the installation process. After 24 days passed called the salesman. No answer. Greater than 10 calls over the next 4 four days. Sensing the scam, called the California office in Torrance. Office stated would call me back. 5 hours later, after no return call, called Century Shower Doors back. They stated no chance of installation prior to the new year. would be 1 1/2 month. Reason for no contact or return calls; the salesman is the installer, and the only person working for Century Shower Doors in the state of Arizona.

Filed two consumer complaints in AZ and CA. Spoke with contractors. Working solo for this type of project is unsafe. This work environment has high chance for the following three problems: injury in the buyer's home, poor workmanship and risk of property destruction. Knowing the following I called the company a third time. Stated only wanted to be refunded. Stated they would not refund. This was a stock door from their catalogue. Next Contact Home Depot, the source of the referral. Home Depot informed me that they was not one of the common companies recommend for shower door installation. Normally Home Depot vendors take about 5 to 10 days top to complete this type of project. Home Depot agreed refund was appropriate. Home Depot apologized and stated they would address the problems.

Contacted credit card company found out the Century Shower Doors keeps it name free of paper trail. My charge statement list purchase as Home Depot.

Learned the scam works this way. Credit Card Company and Home Depot agree that the door was never delivered or installed and refund is appropriate. Home Depot being the honest business entity refunds. Century Shower Doors changes their story with whatever lie makes it appear that they are credible. Their hope is to pit Home Depot against the customer while they pocket the money.

Conclusion: If you read all the complaints about Century Shower Doors from multiple states workmanship is frequently below the industry standard. Leaks are common. Fraudulent behavior is common. If someone calls from Century Shower Doors decline the estimate as you will spend hours trying to get a return call once they have your money. Based on the volume of complaints Century Shower Doors workmanship is poor, if they even come to install the door. After all the aggravation you will have a very expensive leaking door.

I got a frameless shower door installed by them through Home Depot last year. The gentleman that did the measurements was polite and seemed quite experienced. He said everything looked fine and made a sketch of what the shower would look like. Little did I know that his measurements would not look anything like his sketch. I ended up getting a shower door that was bigger than the panel....quite a bit actually! I would not have really bothered much if it were not for the door that would open and miss my toilet bowl by few inches!! It was a safety hazard and an inconvenience.

Let me explain... When I take a shower, my first GF can't use the toilet! Either I take a shower first or she finish her business on the pot and that applies both ways. The other problem is with the leaks through the door. There is a significant amt of water outside the shower every time I take a shower. It is a nuisance and also a safety hazard too. I also had to bear with their delays and other inefficiencies. It took them a total of about 45-50 days to finish their inadequate job. The first time they came to install, they broke a piece of tile which would hold the panel. The guy was quite apologetic. I got the tile fixed and called them to get a new date.

A week later they show up with a panel that was not the right size??? After a further delay of 2 weeks, I got the shower installed. I was relieved and failed to pay proper attention. When I finally took a good look, I found out the problem and promptly reported it to the assistant store manager at Home Depot in El Cerrito, CA. He spoke with CSH and I was told that someone from CSH would contact me. The next day, I had to call them when I didn't get a response. I was told that they were sorry about the delays but they can't do anything about the shower door since I had signed on the paper work.

I am extremely unhappy with their product and service. I tried to reach a resolution by offering them their product back and another $500 for a new shower. They countered by offering $100 in gift card at Home Depot. I refused this flatly and they wouldn't listen to anything further. I am posting this review here so that other people who may consider this company will have a heads up and do their due diligence. On the flip side, they do answer their phones when you call them and I also spoke with their boss, Adam, who listened but sounded irritated. It looks like this company could use a makeover in the being honest department. I will never buy another product from this company again. I will be more than happy to post the sketch and other details for anyone interested.

In June 2012, we purchased a frameless Century Shower Door from Century Shower Door company in Torrance, CA. We had originally anticipated purchasing a framed shower door, not knowing that frameless shower doors were an option.

When the salesperson from the company came to our house, he informed us that frameless shower doors looked much better and were much easier to clean and take care of than framed shower doors, but it were slightly more expensive. He essentially sold us on the frameless doors but he never told us that they leaked terribly and were essentially defective since they did not do what they are designed to do, which is to block water from leaking out of the shower. Once the shower doors were installed and we began to use the shower, the shower doors began to leak substantial amounts of water at the bottom of the door.

We called the company and after several requests, they sent the salesperson over to our home to look at the doors, instead of a technician. A week or so later, a technician came to the house and placed more caulking at the bottom of the door. The door continued to leak large amounts of water so we contacted Century Shower Door again. This time, the company sent a sales manager to our house and he tried turning on the shower and closing the door. Even though the shower head was pointing away from the shower doors, the shower doors continued to leak at the bottom of the doors. He said there was nothing else they could do, except to replace the doors with framed shower doors. He gave us a quote for framed shower doors which was about $400 less than what we had paid for the frameless shower doors.

We wrongly assumed that the doors would be replaced free of charge and that we would receive a refund for the difference since the frameless shower doors are clearly defective. He told us that we would have to pay for the new framed shower doors and that we would not receive a credit for the frameless shower doors that we had installed and which cost us $1,255. When we objected, he told us to call a manager at the company named James **. I phoned him the next day and he said that there was nothing he could do and that I would have to speak with the owner. He further informed me that since I had initialed a box on the diagram sheet that showed a drawing of the door that they were not liable for the leakage and were not obligated to replace the door free of charge. The box states in a very small print, which is difficult to read, that heavy glass shower enclosures are not designed to withstand a direct water source.

Several days later, I spoke to the owner who had been out of town and he placed me on speakerphone from the beginning of our conversation. His name was Adam and he refused to give me his last name. He was extremely confrontational and defensive from the outset of our conversation. He refused to replace the defective doors, that his company had installed, free of charge. Instead, he argued with me and said that there was nothing he could do because I had initialed the box with the quote. He was rude, condescending, and indifferent. He could not have cared less that we were having trouble with one of his company's products. He said that we would have to pay full price to get framed shower doors installed. I told him that his salesperson should never have sold us these doors as he could see that our shower space was too narrow to accommodate shower doors such as these without substantial leakage. He said, too bad - you signed the box.

I would note that the quote on the form is so broad and nebulous that if a customer were to read it, that it does not adequately inform them that the shower doors will most likely leak substantially especially if they are placed in a small shower space. Moreover, the salesperson should have known that these doors are not appropriate for small shower spaces or when the water source is somewhat close to the doors since they cannot do anything to the doors, such as use more caulking to prevent leakage.

Essentially, the salespeople at Century Shower are incentivized to sell the most expensive shower doors that they possibly can and they do not care if their products are inappropriate for the showers/baths that they are being placed into. Further, the company does not stand by its products and does not support its customers whatsoever. They sell defective products and will not replace them even when it is clear that they are defective or that the customers were given terrible advice by their salesperson. Please do not buy their shower doors; you will regret it.

I had a complaint against the company and it has been since resolved to my satisfaction. Please remove my post.

I have visited your website twice and both times I have found your information misleading. The first time I visited and wrote expressing my concern about information on your website. The first time you seemed to have addressed the problem, but now it is back in spades. My company Century Bathworks, Inc. manufactures shower doors and medicine cabinets. The doors are sold primarily in the Northeast, but as far west as Chicago. The medicine cabinets are sold nationally.

In your listing under Century Shower Doors are 3 complaints, two in California and one in Nevada, all listed since 2008. There is not one complaint listed about shower doors in any part of the country we sell doors. My problem is you have an attorney's letter dated 2003 above these complaints suggesting we are at fault. As the attorney states they build and sell doors in the west.

We (Century Bathworks, Inc.) Do not sell doors in California or Nevada. The attorney's letter is very misleading and based on the dates not valid. I am not saying they are the ones involved in these complaints but their lawyer's letter suggested it is us. Your website is causing us damage based on an old lawyer's letter. You of all people know your information must be direct and correct. Please adjust immediately.

I purchased 2 shower doors from Century Shower Door, one for a newly remodeled bathroom and the other to replace an old door in the master bath, for a total of approximately $4,000. At the time I met with the salesman, Rupert, I expressed concerns about the replacement door in the master bathroom covering the screw holes left by the removal of the old door. Rupert assured me that he would measure so that the new door would fit over the old screw holes, and that I might have some small holes at the top (the new door was shorter than the old door) which could be covered up with colored grout.

The door in the newly remodeled bathroom was installed without incident (although the door hits the towel bar on the wall, so I am going to need to move the towel bar, patch and repaint the wall in that room). After the installers finished in the master bath, they called me to look at it and I was shocked to see that there were 10 large (1/2 inch or bigger in diameter) holes in the tile, inside the new shower door, which the installers had stuffed with white silicone!!! No attempt had been made to cut the new door so it would cover the old holes and not only were the holes unsightly, but because they were inside, water would get into them, causing mildew, and eventually penetrate into the porous tile itself, which would then crack and crumble.

Not only that, but the installers never called me upstairs to point out the fact that there would be several holes (I was home during the entire installation). In addition, the installers had left all the silicone and residue from the old shower door in place - despite their having said that their first step was to be removal of the old door and a thorough clean up of the old silicone. So I had paid several thousand dollars to improve the look of the bathroom and had ended up with a significantly worse looking bathroom.

I told the installers that I wanted to speak with either my salesman or the owner before I signed off on the job or paid the balance due (and let me emphasize that I at no time refused to pay - only said I wanted to speak with someone first). The installers called the office and told me that Rupert would call me right back. While I was waiting to hear from Rupert (5 minutes later), the installers took the door part of the shower off of the hinges, went down to their truck (without a word to me as to what they were doing), drove away and refused to return that day (this was on a Friday afternoon), leaving us without a shower in the master bath over the weekend. The installers had also cracked one of the quarter-round tiles in the trim around the tub.

I did speak with the owner, Adam Slutske, who agreed to send new installers back on Monday morning, but said I'd have to pay the balance in cash or cashier's check because he was worried I would stop payment on the check! I explained that I was a lawyer and wouldn't risk my license on a bad check charge, and he finally relented. A new set of installers came Monday with the door, and were flabbergasted at the shoddy work the first crew had performed, and were amazed that they hadn't shown the holes to me prior to installing the door so that something could be done about it beforehand (e.g., re-cutting the door to cover the holes or replacing the damaged tiles), because during the installation, the crew had drilled additional holes which would be left exposed if the door was removed and re-cut.

The second crew also had to spend additional time cleaning up silicone from the old door, which the first installers had simply ignored in their cleanup. Rupert showed up later in the day and suggested I replace the white silicone with colored grout in the holes as a solution to the problem (as if all that silicone could ever really be removed from the holes in order to grout them!!!). I wrote to Adam and he finally agreed to send a crew to remove the door, so that I could replace the tiles with holes, and then the next day they would reinstall the door, but he initially was going to charge me to do it. The tile has now been replaced (because I had no spare tiles matching the quarter-rounds, it was necessary for me to incur additional cost to purchase quarter-rounds in a contrasting color), and the new door is in place, but it cost me an extra $700.00 to replace the tile.

In addition to that, Rupert, who did all the measurements, failed to take into account the geometry of the door part of the shower. The towel rack, located on the outside of the door, hits the wall, preventing the door from being opened more than 1/2 way. When the final installation took place, the only thing that could be done was to move the handle from inside the door to the outside and the towel rack from the outside to the inside (think about that for just a moment...). This was because holes had been drilled in the door for the racks, and to remove the towel rack entirely would have left (yet another) uncovered hole.

It was also not possible to put a towel rack on the outside of the fixed panel, as the glass had already been tempered and could no longer be drilled, so I am left with a totally useless and somewhat odd looking towel rack inside my shower. (This is the same problem I have with the door in the remodeled bathroom, which hits the towel rack affixed to the wall - at least in that case, I can remove the towel rack - again, at a cost to me of patching and repainting the wall)

Throughout this, Adam and Rupert acted as thought I was the only customer to have ever had this issue and that spending thousands of dollars on a shower door only to have an unsightly and unsound result was something at which no reasonable person would have been upset. However, when the final installation crew came to re-install the door after the tile had been repaired, they said that my situation is quite common and that the sales staff never really lets the customer know the likelihood of having to replace tile.

Had I known the holes would be visible and inside the shower where any solution involving grout or sealant would leave open the risk of having further water damage to the tile (and possibly the walls and floor) and that it would cost me nearly an additional 33% to remedy this situation, I would NEVER have bought the replacement door. They need to be honest with the customer so the customer can factor in the cost of replacing the tile in deciding whether to purchase. Apparently, although Century is, I'm told, a family-run business, Adam seems to be the son of the original owner, and seems to be quite young, with no real concern for building and maintaining his family's business reputation. Century had come very highly recommended - obviously by customers from the past, not the present.

Skip, a salesman came to our house at our request so we could order new shower doors. After the order was decided and while he was writing out the contract he mentioned that Century Shower Door would take out the old doors but that if they do it they would charge over $100 for it. He said it is a 10 minute job and that when he found out when the new doors would be installed, he personally would come out the day before and remove the old doors himself at no charge. He said he put customer to remove old doors on the paperwork so the company wouldn't question the work.

The day before Thanksgiving we got a call that the doors would be installed the next Tuesday. We immediately called Skip to relay the message, got his voice mail and left a message. No return call. Called again on Saturday with the same results. On Sunday and Monday my husband and I removed the old doors and grouting. On Tuesday the new doors were installed on schedule. The towel bar on one of the doors has screws that match the almond frame. The other door has two towel bars and they have stainless steel screws. I wrote to the company and voiced my concerns. Mainly, I was concerned that the installers and the salesman had an agreement to remove the old doors off contract and split the additional money collected. Since we did the work ourselves, it didn't apply to us, but it might for other consumers and I basically wanted him to be aware. I also asked for almond head screws to replace the ones that were stainless steel. Mr. James Wood called and basically said he was unconcerned about the salesman's misrepresentations, and that they do not have almond head screws. He suggested we buy some paint and paint them (this even though the rest of the installation including the towel bar on the other shower door were installed with almond screws to match the installation.)

We are dealing more with frustration than any thing else. We will buy almond appliance paint and paint the screws. We do feel like this was less than acceptable response for a business and are very disappointed.

I had a shower door ($460.10)installed by Century Shower on 08/29/06. I noticed , a few days after the installation, that the glazing plastic around the glass was unevenly installed. I thought it was a minor issue so I did not want to bother the company with what I thought was a minor and cosmetic issue.

On 11 19/07 I noticed that this was a big issue and the glass was about to fall out of the metal frame. I immediately placed a call to the company to have it fixed. A sales man visited my house and insisted that I pay $275.00 to have the unit repaired, since the warranty had expired only 2 months prior.

The sale rep. also pointed out that the shower door was wrongly installed by century shower door installer and that had contributed to the weakness/defect of the product. The sale rep. pointed out that company's decal which is always inside the frame was outside the frame which shows that it was improperly installed.

I placed a call to Adam Slotky to discuss the situation. Slotsky made me a deal,that he will charge me $100 to fix the defective door. In the future when I purchase new doors for the other showers, he will deduct the $100 from the sale of the new doors. I agreed and made a $50.00 deposit. The balance was payable upon the repair of the defective door.

On 12/3/07 I received a call at 4:56 PM, from the company to schedule the repair. A few minutes later I received a second call from Jim stating that they would only repair the defective unit for the $100 only if I purchase the 2 new doors that I was going to purchase in the future; which I have refused to do. There is no where in the contract that I signed for the repair and for the future purchase, that states that the $100 charge was only if I purchased the new doors now.

The glass is about to fall off its frame. Therefore I have abandoned the use of that shower/bathroom until it is repaired, to protect my children(6 and 8 years).
I tried to talk to Adam Slotsky to explain the situation to him but he has refused to take my calls.
Now I have decided to use another shower door company to remove and replace the whole unit with a new shower door. I will also purchase two more doors from the new company, for the two extra bathrooms in the house.
I think Century Shower Door Inc is waiting for something catatrosphic to happen to my family, then Adam Slotsky and his company will spring into action- it would too late then. Remember product liability does not stop when the warranty expires !!
I have talked to customer service personnel/phone operator at Century Shower Door to try to get this resolved. These people were so disrespectful and unhelpful. Century Shower Door promised to refund my $50 deposit, since 12/3/07 but that has not gone through. I have the company called several times to get my money and they refuse to do anything further to refund my money. I have called my Bank to inquire about the refund but the bank states there is no indication of any refund processed by the company.

I want everyone who is dealing with this company to be aware of their practices. Century Shower Door does not care about their customers. They are only interested in the money. There are several good shower door companies out there, more professional and caring. If I new their history I would not have purchased the first 4 shower doors for my previous home and would never have recommended them to my friends and family.

I had them to install a shower door. It was tacky from Caulking to the lining. They also had me to cut a 3/8 square of tile out of my wall when they had no need to do this at all. So now the completed project showed many faults including damaged tile tacky caulking, a nonlinear head rail, and bad conversation with the store owner. To make matters worse, they offer no compensation!
To correct the job I would now have to lose two days of work. Customer Service is very bad and I would not ever endorse this company to anyone. I assure you this is the company in Torrance, Ca.

Damaged tile and to correct this problem would take two work days. So now I would lose 3 work days on a job that should only take 3 or 4 hours.

11:15 P.M. 8/3/07 one panel of my glass shower door exploded (no one was in the bathroom). When I went in from the bedroom to see what happened, not only had it shattered but the glass was in large pieces which continued to crackle and break up. The local installer has been excellent about replacing it and has completely taken care of the problem with no cost to me. According to what I have read on the website I found people have been injured and have not been so fortunate with the installers as I have been in getting the problem fixed. I send this only to let you know of another occurence.

The swing side of a half inch glass frameless shower door enclosure of my recently renovated bathroom mysteriosly exploded. No one was a the bathrrom at the time, so there were no physical injuries.

The company that intalled it is taking full responsability and will replace along with the glass any damaged portion of the shower.

We requested a material saftey data sheet (MSDS)for their cleaning products used on their showers. We were told by Adam that they would not give out this information. Then we asked who manufactured their cleaning products and were told he didn't know and he just got them from a distributor. We then asked for the name of the distributor and Adam refused to give us their name.

We requested the MSDS forms because it is required by OSHA to be on file with the cleaning company that cleans our home.

Without this information the cleaning Co. cannot use these products and have to substitute with other products not approved for use on the Century Shower that we have.

Another factor is the fumes from other products effect my lungs which are sensitive to fumes because of COPD-Emphysema. The Century Shower Door products that we have been using do not have a order that bothers me and we would like to continue using them.

When I shared this information with Adam he said clean the shower yourself then. I would love to do that but my medical condition won't allow me.

Century Shower Door contacted us after posting the complaint on 2/6/03. They offered to reimburse us the installation charges and medical expenses relating to their product shattering on 12/9/02 and injuring our children IF we removed the original complaint from this Web site. We agreed to amend the posting if we received a satisfactory resolution (i.e. we received a full refund of the money we are out of pocket).

As requested, we submitted copies of the outstanding charges for their review. We NEVER heard anything from them. After several more phone calls, and a registered letter with copies of the charges, we finally got a response. Someone named Edie called on 7/18/03 to inform us that they would not honor their agreement because this complaint had damaged their reputation.

Apparently, they contact this Web site and were told the information is property of the Web site and cannot be rescinded. As a result, Century is no longer willing to refund our money since WE damaged them. All we ever wanted to for the company to refund the money we are out of pocket, but now after 7 months, they are no longer willing to do that for a number of reasons that are all ridiculous. As advised, we are now seeking legal counsel and have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Trenton.

They were never interested in doing the right thing for the right reason, only to avoid damage to their reputation. It's reprehensible the way they've treated our family. I might remind them that two small children were injured. If they stand by their products, not only would they have replaced the doors, but either piad for, or offered to have the new doors installed - neither of which they did. This is the worst example of customer service I have ever seen in my life.

On December 9, 2002, I put my children, ages 4 and 2 into the bathtub for a bath. I slid the glass door from one side to the other to reach the water faucet to shut off the water. When the door came to a stop on the other side, it exploded into a million pieces.

As my children were sitting in the tub without clothes, they were showered with glass fragments and received multiple lacerations. The most severe of these cuts was to their feet, as they both stood up to try to escape the tub and stepped on the broken glass. I promptly removed them from the area and placed them outside the bathroom where there was no glass. I immediately called 911as they were both bleeding.

The police and paramedics arrived shortly thereafter and after a brief evaluation, advised me to have them taken to the local emergency room to be thoroughly screened. As you might imagine, the children and I were quite scared from what had happened. They were both crying from fear and from the stinging of the cuts they received. Once at the emergency room, their eyes were checked for glass, their hair was vacuumed to remove glass fragments, their lacerations were cleaned and dressed, and after several hours, they were discharged.

The next day I called a glazier to come to the house and remove the remaining door and offer advice on an alternative solution. It was his opinion that the doors were Centec doors made by the Century Shower Door Company. This was later verified by the previous homeowner who had ordered them and had them installed. As such, I also called Century Shower Door the next day and spoke to Clint in customer service. He stated that if we could prove that the door was made by Century, the company would replace the door at no cost. I told him that we did not want to simply replace the broken door, because they are obviously not safe, rather find an alternate solution (i.e. a safer door).

After reviewing our options and on the advice of the glazier, we ordered a new set of Century doors (laminated Lucette doors) through Kuritsky Glass in Mt. Kisco, New York. We were told that unlike the Centec door that shattered, this type of glass spiderwebs like a car windshield in the event of an accident. The total estimate to replace the doors and have them installed was $965.

I followed up several times with Clint in customer service at Century Shower Door to confirm that the doors were made by Century Shower Door. He verified that there would be no cost for the replacement and that the matter would be handled between Century and Kuritsky Glass. In follow-up with Clint to determine the status, he informed me that the installation was not part of the replacement agreement.

In the normal course of use I cant imagine that this could happen so easily. The door is less than 3 years old.

After everything we went through, I cant believe that we will be charged to have this door replaced. Clint did not return repeated calls to him to try to settle the matter. When I finally reached him live on the phone after many attempts, he curtly stated that he should not have been involved, that the new doors had been shipped, and that I would have to contact Kuritsky Glass to settle the matter of the installation charges.

Kuritsky Glass referred me to their Century Shower Door Sales Representative, Dick Dixon to resolve the matter. I left a message for Mr. Dixon on January 7, 2003. Mr. Dixon responded a few days later and stated that they felt they were being quite generous by replacing the door at no cost, but they would not cover the cost of the installation (over $300). I dont feel like we should have to pay anything for this fiasco. In addition to the installation charges, we have received additional bills from the emergency room visit in the amount of $54.00 (to date).

I have copies of the emergency room report, photos of the broken glass, as well as photos of several of the cuts on my 2-year old sons feet as evidence in this matter. My children have scars on their feet from this incident.

To date, I am out the cost of installing new doors (approximately $300-400), plus emergency room bills not covered under insurance (billed $54 to date), plus emotional distress.

My glass shower doors spontaneous imploded and shattered all over the bathroom floor. This happened at 4 AM when we were all sleeping. Thank goodness, no one was in the immediate area when this happened. The only thing left was the frame and the handle which was laying on the floor.

I reordered a Euroview Door and spent $580.00. I did not budget for this expenses. This experience could have given a heart attack to anyone in frail condition. The smash and crash who horrible. Strange, I just read on your website another experience like mine with a mother and her children taking a bath.

On 5/1/01 my two children entered the bathtub when it appeared that one of the glass shower doors was not on the tracking. As I instructed the boys to get out of the tub, I placed my hands in to help them out when all of a sudden the glass shower door exploded or popped directly on top of them. It did not fall onto anything and then break but instead exploded while the door was in place. There was glass and blood everywhere not just in the tub but the way it popped the glass flew everywhere in the bathroom. All that was left of that one glass door was the hinge and the towel bar.

My children were hysterical because there was blood everywhere and I didn't know where it was coming from, As they jumped up out of the tub they were sliced by the glass on their feet, legs, arms, everywhere. The more they ran the more their feet were being sliced because the glass was everywhere. As I screamed for my daughter to call 911 I attempted to dry them and asses where the damages were. My 8 year old son had laceratiions all over his legs and had an inch deep wound on his knee that required 10 stiches. His legs and knees and feet were glued from the glass slicing his body. All he kept saying was he was going to die.

The scarring on his knee will never go away nor will the other scars that were left from the gluing of his lacerations. Beacause he was sitting in the front part of the tub, he actually protected my 4 year old son from severe injuries.

My 4 year old son kept running and screaming and this caused numerous lacerations on the bottom of his feet since the more he ran the more the glass was cutting him. They were both treated at the Emergency Room and later released. Emotionally my 4 year old son has been affected by this incident. He is nervous and extremely hyper and I believe he needs to be desensitized.

My 8 year old has numerous scars that remind him everyday of the incident. He missed over a week of school and couldn't walk for days.

Century Shower Doors Company Profile