Ascent Mobility Solutions

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for the nice review. Glad to hear the lift is working well for you.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

We were looking at Ascent and another brand. Someone from Ascent called first and he was very easy to deal with. The man who came to install the stairlift was excellent. I got it for my husband since our bedrooms are upstairs so he has experienced extreme difficulty. Within the last three weeks, his physical ability has deteriorated considerably so the stairlift has been a godsend. It is wonderful and we've been very pleased with it. I was looking at a different brand that said it had a padded seat. I thought it might have been nice but when I stopped and reflected, mine is washable, won't wear out and if it gets dirty I can clean it. So really we got the better deal.

Resolution In Progress

Ascent Stairlifts

I am sorry to hear the installation instructions weren't very clear. However, it sounds like you got it in and it is working. Please contract us with any future questions. We appreciate your business!

Original review: May 30, 2017

Ascent Stairlifts wouldn't have been my first choice because in the beginning, I didn't know that I was going to end up having to install the stairs myself. Also, the idiom is a little different in the instructions because they must have been printed in Canada. Some of the instructions were confusing in some cases so I had to make a couple of calls to try to get that straightened out but we got it in and essentially, it works fairly well.

The rail came in two parts and where they were connected, there were just two wires that didn't have connectors with it. So, I attempted to splice in a wire and we got it all together but somehow in that process of getting it together the splice came undone. What that wire does is it energizes, it provides electrical current for the charging strips either at the top or the bottom of the rail and so when it's broken the chair will only charge whatever ends you have the power source in. I either have to pull that wire out and string it along the outside of the rail. And once I get those rails, I get it or I don't really want to take them apart. They're pretty heavy.

The only other crisis I had with the product was where the rail was spliced together, there was a bump point where I go over when the chair rides over it. It wasn't a smooth fit. They had two connecting rods that went on a channel. There has to be some flexibility in there but in the flexibility there were at least four tracks where the wheels went and those were part of the rail. The top part’s not molded underneath and the extrusions didn't marry up. So much was wrapped up and the ads came by with satisfaction. So much of that was involved in the construction, putting that thing together, that I have a whole different perspective than the average Joe.

They didn't have anybody in the area. The closest people they had was in Sacramento, about four-hour drive away. I doubt they're gonna do that unless I'm willing to pay their mileage and that was part of the problem. They were glad to talk to me over the phone though. The one fellow I talked to that called me back was very helpful and he said, "You know once I got that rail together, don't take it apart. I've installed a lot of these. Once you got you get it together, go ahead and get it on there." So we did and I had my son-in-law come out and helped me set that chassis on the top because I didn't have enough strength to do it myself.

The chair felt tenuous when I sit on it and it has some tilting forward. My wife didn't have any problem getting in the bottom and riding up but it was disconcerting for her to sit on it at the top of the stairwell as I’m looking down and feel like she was going to fall out of it. She’s very unsure about that and I understand. I said, "All I have to do is stand on that step and then turn and sit down. It's like sitting in a regular chair." But, she has difficulty looking down because she has macular degeneration so she has trouble seeing down. What looks straight to you and I, it doesn't to her. The vertical lines don't appear vertical or they have waves, so when she looks down it looks probably crazy.

But also the step is somewhat of a necessary design deficiency. It doesn't protrude out very far and we have a narrow stairwell so when I sit down on it, my knees are about 4 inches away from the rail, the banister and all that to hold it up. It's functional but the step could have been a little bit longer. It’s a necessary deficiency in order for it to fold properly. Also, there's a limit of 300 pounds for the whole chair itself. It would create a leverage that over time cause failure of the full joint. There's two parts to this. There's the structure itself of the chair which because of the way they designed it has certain building limitations as far as the dimensions and secondly, where the dimensions interface with human beings.

I used to be in training in development writing, and we had trained programs and I must say their manual needs work. It was confusing to me and it must be confusing to others. They have hands on experience, so if you want to get that part, you don’t have to look at the manual every time you put in a spark plug. There are human performance, human factor and a lot of stuff involved in the ergonomics to interfacing with human beings. The point is a lot of people have visual and physical disabilities that have to be addressed and I'm not sure that was done. They probably did it to the extent that they could mass produce these things but in time they need to work a little bit more on those issues I’ve mentioned.

Ascent Stairlifts

Glad you enjoyed working with Virginia!

Original review: May 26, 2017

Ascent's stairlifts have good quality and price. Also, I had a good rapport with the lady that I was working with that prompted me to want to purchase a stairlift. I’m very pleased with the whole thing and I would recommend Ascent.

Ascent Stairlifts

Glad we could be of service. We really appreciate your business!

Original review: May 25, 2017

Ascent Stairlifts came out and measured and the price seemed fair. The installation team was in and out in a couple of hours. In terms of safety, it buckles my wife in good. It's a functional unit for me and is now part of the house.

Ascent Stairlifts

Very happy to hear that your new stairlift is helping!

Original review: May 24, 2017

My daughter got Ascent Stairlifts off the computer. It gives me more flexibility in my daily life. I can get upstairs pretty fast. I'm also able to operate it myself easily and without any problems. It's really nice.

Thank you!

Original review: May 23, 2017

Ascent was much more cordial than the others and that was good enough for me. There was no problem with their consultants. I've stated what I wanted, they told me that they would provide and I told them what I would be satisfied with. I was satisfied with what they offered and they accepted what I offered so it was a mutual agreement. The installers came in to do their work and I allowed them to do whatever they had to do because if I hadn't trusted them, I wouldn't have them near my house. They did what they came to do, did a professional job, and I was satisfied with it.

When you're unable to do get up and down the stairs, all you want to do is to be able to become mobile again and that was what it took to get me mobile. I was satisfied with it or I wouldn't have had it. I'm very old school. Either they provide a service that I'm interested in or they don't. I'm very straightforward and they were very straightforward. They had what I needed and I would recommend them to friends or family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ascent Stairlifts?

Ascent Stairlifts

While the distance between the seat and footrest works for most riders, shorter users' feet may not sit flat on the footrest. Glad to hear things are working well!

Original review: May 21, 2017

I was buying a chairlift for my mom and I never purchased one so I did a little research on my own before I called and I narrowed it down to Ascent and a couple other ones. Ascent's customer service was good as far as the initial call. They were straightforward and very concise. The call wasn't complicated, there was more information and it's reassuring that if there was an issue, I felt that they would take care of it right away. The local installer always calls back and their people were very timely in getting back to me. They also let me know what was going on and everything was coordinated pretty well.

The only issue that my mother has is that she's small and when she sits on the chair, the foot plate on the bottom is a little low for her. Her feet were almost dangling when she sat on the chair and what she had to do is get some kind of adaptor so her foot would sit. My brother’s with her on a daily basis and I haven’t really heard any complaints from him, so that’s good. I would recommend Ascent.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for the nice review!

Original review: May 20, 2017

I love Ascent Stairlifts and I’m very happy with them. Their installation team came to the church and did the work. It was a difficult installation because the chairs were steel and concrete, but they did a great job. They got what they needed and they got it done.

Ascent Stairlifts

We appreciate the nice review. Happy to hear things are working great.

Original review: May 15, 2017

My aunt is in her 80's and she can barely walk so she needed assistance. It’s dangerous for her to go up and down the stairs. Buying her a stairlift is something I've been after to do for quite a few years but nobody took the initiative so I did. I went online for the consumer ratings and Ascent Stairlifts were listed as one of the top so I went with them. Their reps were very efficient, gave me all the information and made it very easy for me. I was able to determine the type of chair my aunt would need. It was very simple and that's exactly what they installed. The installation team was very efficient, friendly, and nice. They explained everything. It's working out very well and it's definitely helped her. She loves it and she's very happy with it.

Thank you Bob!

Original review: May 14, 2017

I had a stroke a long time ago and my right leg was trying to go on me. So, I called my doctor's office and asked for suggestions because I didn't know where to go. She mentioned three names and the way she said Ascent Stairlifts seemed like somebody already had one installed. I started going to chemotherapy on Tuesdays which they said makes you weak and I can't handle going up and down the stairs. I had to call the fire department twice - I got a stranded one time at the bottom and another on a tub. I thought if I could have this installed before Tuesday then I wouldn't have any problem going up and down.

I called Ascent first and a lady came out on the same day which was a Friday. She talked to their owner and the owner said okay. He came out in the morning on short notice and had to have the thing installed in record time. He was very nice, personable and accommodating. They really took care of me in a nice time because I was getting kind of desperate and I got a very reasonable price. Also, I didn't have to pay taxes because it's prescribed by a doctor and it's a medical item. I'm happy with the units and I'd recommend them to anybody.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you! Glad to hear the stairlift is helping.

Original review: May 13, 2017

We were going with another company at first because it's the only one we could see online but they kept canceling on us so we dug deeper and then found Ascent Stairlifts. Then we sent them pictures for the site survey. The installers have been excellent and they came to make sure everything was okay and check it out for us, and I am very happy. My stairlift helped immensely. I can go up and down stairs with ease and I can make as many trips as I want to. I would recommend them to a friend.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for choosing Ascent Stairlifts!

Original review: May 12, 2017

We looked at three vendors which included Ascent Stairlifts. We liked Acorn and the Brooks, and then we determined that they were the same thing. And Acorn charges a middleman fee, so it was the same equipment for less money with Ascent. The gentleman who came and installed the system was very knowledgeable. He did it in a couple of hours. He advised us in terms of modifications to the bathroom and other things we might have to do. We have already done everything when we had contractors come and do things. But he was so good that we determined we would call him if we needed any other work done. We installed the stairlift for my mother who hasn't moved in. We have not put it to its actual proper use but we have moved a box with it and we found that it takes up more space on the stairs than I thought it would.

Ascent Stairlifts

We really appreciate your business! Enjoy the new stairlift.

Original review: May 7, 2017

My friend had installed the Ascent Stairlifts about six months ago for his back problem and he recommended it. He has exactly the same unit as mine but a little taller. With the help of the Ascent Stairlifts, even thought it did only about nine steps, the activity leaving the house hopefully will increase. Even though she doesn’t want to, at least she can get down. I can put her in the wheelchair and take her around the neighborhood for the beautiful upcoming summer days. Also, we had to take her to her doctor’s appointment on Monday and we're glad that we had the stairlift. It's easy to operate and provides convenience to a person who has back problems to go up and down the stairs. A few years down the road, I will need it too.

Resolution In Progress

Ascent Stairlifts

We are very sorry to hear about your father. Unfortunately, we are not able to take back installed lifts because the rail has already been cut to fit your staircase. We have tried in the past to buy back used lifts, but it proved very difficult to ship back the units without significant damage to the unit.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I’m very sad about my experience with Ascent Stairlifts. I bought the stairlift and had it installed and then my father died the next day. It’s never been used but they would not take it back because it's been installed. I called the guy who installed it. He would not buy it from me except for under $600. I paid $2400 for the installation so I am very disappointed.

Ascent Stairlifts

We are very happy to hear everything thing went smoothly. We appreciate your business!

Original review: April 27, 2017

I needed to get a stairlift for my mother and it all worked out really well. I went with Ascent Stairlifts because of ConsumerAffairs. My interactions with the consultants were great. They sent some pictures and an estimate to me. It was very good price and I jumped all over it. I took pictures and measurements over the phone. They set me up with the installer of the stairlift, it got sent to them, they brought it out, and put it in. On the whole, it was a good experience. Everybody I dealt with did a good job. If I had to buy another one, I would be going right back.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for the nice review. We enjoyed working with you!

Original review: April 22, 2017

I found Ascent on the internet and I liked it. They were also local and the consultants were very good and helpful. The owner came out himself for the site survey and the installers were excellent as well. When we had a problem with one of the units, they came out and repaired it immediately. The stairlift has really helped us a lot to be able to get our mother downstairs which is a huge thing. It's been an overall great experience and very easy. I would recommend Ascent to anybody that needs that kind of service.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for your business!

Original review: April 14, 2017

We chose Ascent Stairlifts because we went to Consumer Reports and saw what they had to say about various chairlifts. Their accessibility consultant seemed efficient and competent. She answered our questions and dealt with us in a friendly and efficient way. Then the installation team came and installed the chairlift, showed me how it worked and talked about it. Installation went well and the chairlift is working and we’re pleased with it. The chair was installed in time for my husband to come home who needed to use it. If I had questions I called and asked and Ascent answered. Overall, there wasn’t any problems that arose that needed dealing with. It was simply ordering the stairlift, waiting for it to come, waiting for it to be installed and it went like clockwork.

Ascent Stairlifts

Glad we could be of assistance!

Original review: April 13, 2017

My son, Doug bought the Ascent Stairlifts for me. The Ascent people surveyed my stairs first and they were very helpful. That was part of the reason that Doug decided to get this company. Their installer was very efficient, too. He explained everything, told us to call if there was any problems and gave us the book to know what to do if there was a problem. The lift is a very smooth ride and is wide enough that if someone is on the stairs, they can walk up and down while it’s in use. It has totally helped because the reason Doug was staying with me is that I couldn’t go up the stairs. But now, he can go home and I could go about my life. We’re totally satisfied with Ascent and it’s certainly in use.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for your business!

Original review: April 12, 2017

Everything was set up in the Ascent Stairlifts showroom when I went there. Their consultants gave a good demonstration and answered all my questions, so everything went extremely smooth. Then Virginia came out and looked it over. We had some questions on which side of the stair to put it on and where the electricity was gonna be. She gave us a lot of good pointers and we changed a lot of things. But when they went to install the chairlift, they're used to going into wood to put the anchors down. So they had to come back over the weekend with a different drill since we had a ceramic tile with carpeting on top of it. There were some scheduling problems, but the installation went very nicely and smoothly.

When we first moved in the house I used to take the stairs two at a time but now, I have a hard time getting up and down. So that stairlift works very nicely and I don't have to help my wife up and down the stairs. Some of our friends, who are starting to get in our age bracket, looked upon it very favorably. Also, having the grandkids might be a problem because they're usually swinging from the chandeliers. But overall, we're very satisfied with our experience with Ascent.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for the nice review!

Original review: April 11, 2017

Ascent Stairlifts has been working great. Their consultants were very knowledgeable, polite and helpful. They were able to answer any questions that I had. With the stairlift, I like that the user doesn’t have to go up the steps and try to walk. It has been a smooth ride for him. I would recommend them.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for your business. We appreciate it!

Original review: April 3, 2017

Ascent Stairlifts were the ones that had all the best reviews. Their accessibility consultants were great. They came out and had a lot of good information. It’s easy to understand and they came back with some good stuff. We're able to get it installed a day or two. Had no problem with the installation team. The actual owner came out. It was installed maybe one or two days later and then after we got the first one installed, we had a second one installed about a couple of days after that. It was such a good device. Its design seems very nice, compact, and very reliable. It made dramatically easier for my father to access the entire apartment so it’s been a huge change.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you Charmaine! We are happy to hear the lift is working well for you and your husband.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I was doing some searches online and Ascent Stairlifts was reasonably priced. They were very easy to get ahold of and also, they were very responsive. Their accessibility consultants were very helpful and were able to give me the information that I needed right away. It was very easy to follow what I needed to do on their website. And also, I was able to take a picture and upload that to their site, and they look at it and gave me an approximate cost right away. The installation people were very good and they installed it really quickly. The stairlift is for my husband and now, he’s able to go up and down the stairs. He has been back to normal activities, which was really good. We haven't had any problems with it. Ascent Stairlifts was really helpful, very quick to return my call, and they were very easy to talk to. Overall, our experience has been awesome.

Ascent Stairlifts

We are happy everything worked out well. Enjoy your new stairlift!

Original review: March 1, 2017

I went with Ascent because after doing a bit of research on the internet, I found that they were the number one seller of stairlifts. It was a really good experience with the people I ordered it from. They wanted to deliver the stairlift on the day my wife was coming home from the hospital. Their accessibility consultant, Virginia, said, "I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll turn it around and we'll send it to the installer". That helped out quite a bit because my wife didn't get dismissed from the hospital until between 4:00 to 5:00 in the afternoon and I would not have been home to take the delivery. She did an outstanding job of explaining everything to me and it was real easy to understand.

The installation team did an excellent job. They informed us and gave us the book which was easy to read and understand. We're really happy with the stairlift and we've used it quite a bit. It has been a great help to my wife who suffered a stroke and cannot walk up the stairs. It's an outstanding product and so I'd recommend Ascent Stairlifts. I've talked to a couple of people about it and they said they were going to go online and check it out.

Ascent Stairlifts

We apologize for the miscommunication. The Brooks stairlift is handed so it can only be installed on side of the staircase. We will try to be more clear in the future and ensure we send the correct side to be installed.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I talked to the Ascent Stairlifts people about three times and I talked to about two other companies. Then I picked Ascent Stairlifts because their installation price was $100 cheaper. However, no one came out or asked for a picture of our stairs. And I was sort of misled into thinking that if the thing came, it can go to either the left or right side of the stairs, and I'll leave it up to the installer to put it on the right side. But that's not the case. The device ended up being on the rail side of the steps instead of the wall side because they sent me the one that's mounted on the left side. It shortened the width of the steps because of the conflict with the railing so I have very little clearance left on the steps because of where they had to put it. I was coming home from the rehabilitation hospital and didn't have time to mess around, send it back and get the one that was on the wall side. But other than the miscommunication, I'm completely satisfied and happy with my stairlift.

Ascent Stairlifts

We appreciate the positive review. Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

Ascent Stairlifts was one that I ran across and I decided to deal with. I like the way that the whole thing was presented and a survey of the stairs was done before the installation too. Their staff was very nice. The installation was done when I needed it and the fellow who came and installed it was very professional and he did it in a fairly short time, too. We are happy with the way it went and with the installation. The staircase is not meant to be fast, but it's sufficient. My wife likes it and it's been great for her. She can go up and down the stairs without any problem now.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for the feedback. For safety purposes, the lift will not work when it is in the swiveled position.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

We had a few stairlift providers within the Chicago area. I checked Ascent Stairlifts out online. I looked at their video and saw the lift and how it works, and that's how I decided to buy my stairlift from them. Another thing is that I called quite a few of these companies, but they were the first to respond and tell me about their product, and then asked me to look at the video online. I checked their product out and liked it. The sales rep was very good and nice.

I like everything about the stairlift that I got, except for only one feature that I wish it would have, which it does not have. Whenever a person goes up, he will turn the chair to 45-degree angle to get out of it. Then, if a second person wants to come upstairs and he tries the remote control, it will not work because the lift will not work when the chair is in the 45-degree angle, and the second person cannot go up. This is a very basic flaw and nobody ever talked about it, and I am surprised why. It's not such a big thing, but the lift should have the feature in the remote that can turn the chair to a 90-degree angle so it can come down.

This was what happened when I went upstairs on the first or second day after the lift was installed. I had two steps, one in the front and one in the back. The one in the front is the spiral and the one in the back is the straight one where we installed the chair. I have a habit of coming down from the front stair because that's where my bedroom is. So I came down from the front step and then when I had to go up, I remembered that the last chair had lifted upstairs. So, I tried the remote control, but it wouldn't work because the chair was in the 45-degree angle. Nevertheless, the stairlift is very good overall.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for the kind words. We really appreciate your business!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

A friend of mine who had researched Ascent Stairlifts told me about it. And we had looked into others but I very much liked this one when we went to see it. We also had a neat and very good experience with the accessibility consultants and I was real pleased with it.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for choosing Ascent Stairlifts!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

A lady came over to explain everything and she was nice. They were easy to work with. And then the installation guy came out and put the stairlift in without a problem. My parents and I are really happy with it. It's working very well.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for the nice review. I apologize for the few issues during installation. That is very rare. However, I am happy our installer was able to get everything handled. Please don't hesitate to call us with any questions.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

I had the Ascent Stairlifts installed in October and I liked the people who did the installation. One of them had indicated that the chair was not properly put together for him. He had to do all the wiring, so it took him all day. At first, he didn't tell me about it so I grew impatient. I wish he told me earlier so I could've sent the unit back and got another one so we're done. When I got home, it worked okay, but then the seatbelt doesn't hook. I couldn't get it to work so I couldn’t have my mother use it. Then there was a piece that didn’t work as well and he had to order that piece, so I had to wait another two weeks to get that done. But once it got installed, there hasn't been any issue of it stopping and my 93-year old mother is comfortable with it. It has given my mother the independence to get upstairs safely. And, it is quiet and I like it being that.

Ascent Stairlifts is a company right here in Franconia, New Hampshire. They were very good and they were very prompt. They came when they said they were coming. They have very good communication and I didn't have any issues there at all. I like the lady I spoke to. When I asked how much it was, she just told me how much it costs and what the product was. She answered all my questions and didn't leave anything out. Most places that I've called were all excuses. Then she sent me the information email to look at what the stairlift looked like and how it worked so I pretty much knew what I was getting, and I didn't feel they needed to do any assessment. I would recommend them.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for the positive review!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I contacted Ascent Stairlifts then they contacted me back, gave me everything I needed and they didn't hound me at all. They had a guy local in the area that came and installed the stairlifts and he did a great job. There was absolutely no problem.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you! We really appreciate your business.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

The salesperson of Ascent Stairlifts was personable. The installation team was courteous and they also cleaned up after themselves.

Expert Review

Shelley WebbSenior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.    More about Shelley→

Ascent Stairlifts has been providing stairlift products since 2008. It offers a variety of lifts to meet users' needs and services the entire United States.

• They offer 24/7 tech support: Users can contact a technician at any time of the day or night to help resolve problems with the stairlift.
  • Straight stairlift experts: Users who have straight staircases can choose from several straight stairlift options, allowing them to choose the model that best meets their needs.
  • Quality products: All of Ascent's stairlifts are high quality and meet safety standards. The lifts come with two remote controls, safety edges, seat belts, diagnostic capabilities and parts and labor warranties.
  • Reconditioned lifts may be available: Users can save money by purchasing a lift that is reconditioned rather than one that is brand new. Reconditioned lifts are subject to availability.
  • Payment options: Users have a variety of payment options, including credit card, check, electronic check, Paypal and Paypal Credit.
  • Best for people with limited mobility and people with heart or lung issues.

Ascent Stairlifts Company Profile