What is the difference between American Home Shield and Landmark Home Warranty?
It can sometimes be confusing to see the differences between different home warranty providers. To compare American Home Shield and Landmark Home Warranty, we looked at premium costs, coverage types, items covered, service call fee and add-on coverage. Look for these key points when shopping, and keep an eye out for extra perks and upgrades, such as brand-for-brand appliance coverage or convenient re-key services.
|Monthly premium cost||$29.99 to $69.99||$35 to $61.25|
|Average cost for combo plan||$60||$61.25|
|Annual premium cost||$359.88 to $839.88||$420 to $735|
|Service call fee||$75, $100 or $125||$70 or $100|
|Discounts available||Not specified||Not specified|
|$29.99 to $69.99||$60||$359.88 to $839.88||$75, $100 or $125||Not specified|
|$35 to $61.25||$61.25||$420 to $735||$70 or $100||Not specified|
|Plans available||ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, Shield Platinum||Home Systems Plan, Total Protection|
|Combo plan covered items||18||13|
|Service recall period||30 days||Not specified|
|Availability||47 states||Not specified|
|ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, Shield Platinum||9||9||18||30 days||47 states|
|Home Systems Plan, Total Protection||6||7||13||Not specified||Not specified|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||—|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Garage door openers|
|Roof leak repairs||—||Add-on|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.4||3.8|
|Verified customer reviews||American Home Shield reviews||Landmark Home Warranty reviews|
|4.4||American Home Shield reviews|
|3.8||Landmark Home Warranty reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield lets you choose basic systems-only coverage or protection that covers appliances. The company offers add-ons for pools and spas, guest units, septic pumps and well pumps.
American Home Shield also has generous add-on coverage for home electronics, including smart-home devices, computers, TVs, home theaters and game consoles. The coverage includes power-surge protection, and any eligible new electronics you buy during the life of your plan are covered — no receipts or registration required.
Roof leak repair is included with the Platinum plan and is available as an add-on with other plans. The Platinum plan also has brand-for-brand appliance coverage.
- ShieldSilver: This systems-only coverage protects 14 major home systems: Heating and air conditioning (including ductwork), electrical (including built-in exhaust fans), plumbing, water heaters, garage door openers, doorbells, ceiling fans and re-key services.
- ShieldGold: The ShieldGold plan includes everything in the Silver plan. It also adds appliance coverage for refrigerators, washers and dryers, range/ovens/cooktops, dishwashers, built-in microwaves, garbage disposals and instant hot/cold water dispensers.
- ShieldPlatinum: This plan boosts the Silver and Gold plans with higher coverage limits, coverage for modifications to plumbing, upgrades to correct code violations and roof leak repair.
What American Home Shield customers say
We see mostly positive feedback in reviews about American Home Shield on ConsumerAffairs. Common themes in reviews include positive comments about the website, claims process, contractors, quick service and return on investment. Some customers expressed frustration with communication and the time it took to resolve issues.
Landmark Home Warranty
Landmark Home Warranty offers coverage for homeowners and special plans for homebuyers during the real estate transaction process or within 30 days of purchasing the home. Existing homeowner coverage is available for systems-only and systems-plus-appliances plans.
You can customize a plan with add-ons for items like a second refrigerator, standalone freezer, pool or hot tub and roof leaks. Homebuyer coverage comes in four levels — all levels include appliance coverage and re-keying services, which are often convenient for new homeowners. Landmark provides a homeowner dashboard that lets you check coverage, renew your contract or open a claim.
Landmark Warranty homeowner plans include subterranean termite treatment and pest control, which is not a common offering in the industry.
- Home Systems Plan: This is Landmark Home Warranty’s basic plan. Pricing varies slightly from state to state and starts at about $35 per month. The plan covers air conditioning, heating, electrical system, no-fault coverage, plumbing, air conditioning and heating tuneup, pest control, re-key service and subterranean termite treatment.
- Total Protection Plan: This plan starts at $55 per month. It includes everything in the Home Systems Plan and adds appliance coverage, including built-in microwaves, central vacuums, dishwashers, garbage disposals, your kitchen refrigerator, your oven/range/cooktop and your washer and dryer. This plan also adds coverage for the garage door opener.
- Essential ($350/year): Landmark Home Warranty’s Essential plan covers air conditioning and heating, your built-in microwave, dishwasher, garbage disposals, kitchen exhaust fan, kitchen refrigerator, oven/range/cooktop, your home’s electrical system, garage door openers, plumbing system, air conditioning tuneups, heating tuneups and re-key services.
- Advantage ($400/year): This plan includes everything in the Essential plan and adds no-fault coverage for code violation corrections, permits, repair or replacement of improperly installed items, haul-away services and use of a crane for covered service on air conditioning or heating units.
- Comprehensive ($450/year): The Comprehensive plan builds on the Advantage plan with coverage for your washer and dryer.
- Complete ($500/year): This plan adds to the comprehensive plan with enhanced plumbing coverage.
What Landmark Home Warranty customers say
Landmark customers who enjoyed their experience mention the plans being cost-effective and said they had positive experiences with company representatives. Many of them call the service simple and reliable. Customers who leave critical feedback comment on the process being slow, with long hold times and issues surrounding claim denial or dissatisfaction with resolutions.
Bottom line: American Home Shield or Landmark Home Warranty?
American Home Shield is a traditional provider of home warranty plans with three levels of coverage, including systems-only, and several choices for add-on coverage. Roof leak repair and electronics coverage set this company apart from competitors.
Landmark Home Warranty provides plans for homebuyers to protect them from expensive repairs when moving into a new home. The company also offers plans for existing homeowners that stand out in the market by including coverage for pest control and termite treatment.
- American Home Shield is best for customers looking for traditional coverage and who want to purchase additional protection for home electronics.
- Landmark Home Warranty is best for homeowners who want to include termite coverage in their home warranty.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.