American Home Shield vs. Fidelity National Home Warranty
What is the difference between American Home Shield and Fidelity National Home Warranty?
It's important to look at a few home warranty companies before signing a contract. We looked at American Home Shield and Fidelity National Home Warranty side by side to compare premium costs, service call fees, items covered, optional coverage, perks and customer reviews so you can make an informed decision when selecting a home warranty company.
|Monthly premium cost||$29.99 to $69.99||$29 to $37|
|Average cost for combo plan||$60||$33|
|Annual premium cost||$359.88 to $839.88||$350 to $445|
|Service call fee||$75, $100 or $125||$75|
|Discounts available||Not specified||Not specified|
|$29.99 to $69.99||$60||$359.88 to $839.88||$75, $100 or $125||Not specified|
|$29 to $37||$33||$350 to $445||$75||Not specified|
|Plans available||ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, ShieldPlatinum||Standard|
|Combo plan covered items||18||21|
|Service recall period||30 days||Not listed|
|Availability||47 states||15 states|
|ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, ShieldPlatinum||9||9||18||30 days||47 states|
|Standard||10||5||21||Not listed||15 states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Whirlpool bathtub||Whirlpool motor pump covered|
|—||Add-on||Add-on||—||Add-on||—||Whirlpool motor pump covered|
|Garage door openers||—|
|Roof leak repairs||—||Add-on|
|Septic pump||Add-on||Septic leak coverage; add-on available|
|—||Add-on||Add-on||—||Septic leak coverage; add-on available||Add-on||—||—|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.4||1.1|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All prices are based on a quote for a house of less than 5,000 square feet in Austin, Texas. All information is accurate as of the time of publishing.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield offers three plan levels and add-on coverage options for additional items. With American Home Shield’s 30-day workmanship guarantee, the company will send a contractor back out for free if you have an issue with a completed repair within 30 days. Shield Assurances are included with all plans and offer coverage for items of all ages.
American Home Shield plans
- ShieldSilver: This coverage tier protects 14 major home systems, including heating, cooling, electrical and plumbing systems. The plan starts at $29.99 a month.
- ShieldGold: The ShieldGold plan covers everything in ShieldSilver plus nine appliances in the kitchen and laundry room. The price starts at $39.99 monthly.
- ShieldPlatinum: This plan includes everything in ShieldSilver and ShieldGold and adds coverage for roof leaks, HVAC tuneups, unlimited air conditioning refrigerant and code violation and permit coverage. It starts at $44.99 monthly.
- Add-on coverage: You can select optional coverage for electronics, pools, spas, roof leak repairs, guest units, septic pumps and well pumps.
What American Home Shield customers say
Most reviewers give American Home Shield high marks on ConsumerAffairs.com. Customers liked the timely service and competent repair professionals. Some had issues with delayed repairs, though, especially on air conditioning claims.
Fidelity National Home Warranty
Fidelity National Home Warranty provides home service contracts for homeowners, homebuyers/sellers and real estate professionals. You can customize a Fidelity National plan to fit your needs. The company’s service work is guaranteed for 30 days without an additional service call fee, and parts are guaranteed for 90 days.
The company offers pest control service in some areas, and you can monitor appointments and your repair status through its automated tracking system. Fidelity National covers all appliance and system brands.
Fidelity National Home Warranty plans
- The Home Buyer Standard Plan covers plumbing systems, plumbing stoppages, toilets, sump pump, bathroom whirlpool motor pump, recirculating hot water pump, water heater, heating, ductwork, electrical system, telephone system, central vacuum system, garage door opener, ceiling fans, attic and exhaust fans, smoke detectors, doorbells, dishwasher, range, oven, cooktops, built-in microwave, instant hot water dispenser and trash compactor. Pricing depends on the options you choose and your ZIP code.
- The Home Buyer Comprehensive Plus Plan adds coverage for mismatched systems, improper installations or repairs, code violations, removal of defective equipment, refrigerant recapture, garage door springs, hinges, cables, remotes, keypads and additional items on certain appliances.
- The Home Buyer Enhanced Plan adds coverage for your clothes washer, clothes dryer and refrigerator.
- The Home Buyer Enhanced Plus adds coverage for a water heater expansion tank, radiant and steam heat, code violations and stoppages caused by roots.
- Optional coverage is available for a kitchen refrigerator, washer/dryer, air conditioning, pool and spa equipment, limited septic leak, roof leak repair, smart-home devices, water softener, ornamental fountain and HVAC tuneup. Buyers can also choose coverage for emergency lodging or a portable air conditioning unit in case of malfunction. Options range in price from $25 to $180.
What Fidelity National Home Warranty customers say
Fidelity Home Warranty receives mostly negative reviews on ConsumerAffairs. Customers report long hold times, being disconnected by customer service reps and claims being regularly rejected or unresolved. Reviewers also mention confusing information, an unhelpful website and rude customer service. A few customers have reported good experiences with Fidelity National, though.
Bottom line: American Home Shield or Fidelity National Home Warranty?
Overall, American Home Shield has better reviews and ratings on our site. It offers coverage for all kinds of systems and appliances, regardless of age or condition. Fidelity National Home Warranty might be the right fit for you if you don’t want to break the bank for a home warranty, though — and it offers service guarantees of 30 days for service and 90 days for parts.
- American Home Shield is best for customers who want protection for home electronics and smart-home devices. American Home Shield offers add-on coverage for these items.
- Fidelity National Home Warranty is best for homebuyers on a budget. The company offers comprehensive homebuyer coverage for a low price.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.