American Home Shield vs. America's 1st Choice Home Club
Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you
What is the difference between American Home Shield and America's 1st Choice Home Club?
Home warranties help repair or replace items in your home when they break down from age or normal use. American Home Shield and America’s 1st Choice Home Club are two popular companies offering home warranty plans, and it’s essential to know the differences if you’re deciding between them. We look at them side by side to compare key features like premium amounts, service call fees and covered items to help you make the best home warranty choice for your needs.
|Monthly premium cost||$29.99 to $69.99||$32.08 to $55|
|Average cost for combo plan||$60||$55|
|Annual premium cost||$359.88 to $839.88||$330 to $550|
|Service call fee||$75, $100 or $125||$75, $100 or $125|
|Discounts available||Not specified||Discount for paying annually|
|$29.99 to $69.99||$60||$359.88 to $839.88||$75, $100 or $125||Not specified|
|$32.08 to $55||$55||$330 to $550||$75, $100 or $125||Discount for paying annually|
|Plans available||ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, Shield Platinum||Systems, Silver, Gold, Platinum|
|Combo plan covered items||18||16|
|Service recall period||30 days||Up to 3 years|
|Availability||47 states||49 states|
|ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, Shield Platinum||9||9||18||30 days||47 states|
|Systems, Silver, Gold, Platinum||8||8||16||Up to 3 years||49 states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||Add-on|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Garage door openers|
|Roof leak repairs||—||Add-on|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.4||4.4|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) is a large home warranty company with over 1.8 million members and more than 17,000 licensed, independent contractors in its network. It sells comprehensive home warranty plans covering most items you’ll need repaired, and it offers add-on coverage for items not included in the basic plans. You can also choose between three service call fees.
American Home Shield plans
Below is what’s covered under its three main plans. Your rates may differ based on your home’s details and your plan selections.
- ShieldSilver ($29.99/month) covers 14 major systems, up to $1,000 or $1,500 per contract term for many systems. These include:
- Air conditioners
- Heating units
- Built-in exhaust
- Vent and attic fans
- Main breaker and fuse panel box
- Doorbells and chimes
- Interior electrical lines
- Ceiling fans
- Garage door openers
- Interior plumbing lines
- Toilets, faucets and valves
- Whirlpool tub motor and components
- Water heaters
- ShieldGold ($39.99/month) includes all ShieldSilver coverage plus nine appliances, up to $3,000 per appliance per contract term. Appliances include:
- Built-in microwaves
- Garbage disposals
- Instant hot/cold water dispensers
- ShieldPlatinum ($54.99/month) includes everything in ShieldGold coverage, an additional $3,000 per appliance per contract term and coverage for:
- Roof leak repairs (up to $1,500 per year)
- HVAC tune-up
- Unlimited air conditioning refrigerant
- Code violations and permits (up to $1,000 per year)
Prices here reflect quotes obtained for the 77009 ZIP code (Houston) using a $125 service call fee.
What American Home Shield customers say
American Home Shield customers leave mostly positive feedback in reviews on ConsumerAffairs, with happy customers mentioning helpful contractors, an easy claims process both online and over the phone and overall fast service. Customers who had less positive experiences mentioned that it took longer than desired to resolve issues.
America's 1st Choice Home Club
America’s 1st Choice Home Club lets you choose a licensed service technician from within its network or pick your own. And, while most companies have a 30- or 60-day parts and labor guarantee on repairs, America’s 1st Choice Home Club’s guarantee is equal to the length of your contract. That means a three-year home warranty contract has a three-year guarantee from the date the service was rendered no matter how long into your term you were.
America’s 1st Choice Home Club plans
Here’s what you might expect to see and pay for the company’s various plans. Note that rates may change based on your location, your home’s square footage, service call fees, your plan selection and additional coverages.
- Systems Plan ($39/month): This plan covers air conditioning/cooler, heating systems, your water heater, your home’s electrical system, the plumbing system and ductwork.
- Silver Plan ($32.08/month): The silver plan covers your clothes washer and dryer, your kitchen refrigerator, your oven/range, your dishwasher, your garbage disposal and garage door openers.
- Gold Plan ($45.83/mo): The Gold Plan combines all coverage provided by the Systems Plan and Silver Plan.
- Platinum Plan ($50.42/month): This plan includes all coverage in the Gold Plan plus an ice maker, a built-in microwave, fans and plumbing stoppages.
- Additional coverage for each includes options for electronics, sump pumps, septic systems, pools, spas, standalone freezers and roof leak repairs.
Prices listed here were obtained for the 77009 ZIP code in Houston using a $125 service call fee. Appliances have $2,000 per item and membership term for access, diagnosis, repair or replacement. Limits for other items range from $80 to $1,000.
What America’s 1st Choice Home Club customers say
Reviews for America’s 1st Choice Home Club on ConsumerAffairs are overwhelmingly positive, but a few people have expressed concern over contract exclusions. Positive themes we see in reviews include satisfaction with the company’s customer service and friendly staff. One customer said they felt it was a good price for the coverage.
Bottom line: American Home Shield or America's 1st Choice Home Club?
American Home Shield and America’s 1st Choice Home Club are strong contenders in the home warranty space. AHS has fewer package offerings and no appliance-only option, but that makes its choices more straightforward.
America’s 1st Choice Home Club has a total of four packages to choose from, plus add-ons, although it covers fewer items overall for a similar price to AHS. However, America’s 1st Choice Home Club lets you choose your own service technician and has one of the lengthiest parts and labor guarantees.
- American Home Shield is best for homeowners looking for all-inclusive home warranty plans with the need for little to no add-ons for complete coverage.
- America’s 1st Choice Home Club is best for homeowners who want to choose their own technicians and who want a long parts and labor guarantee.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.