Call toll free
Call toll free
4.41/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Recovery Centers of America (RCA) is the fastest growing addiction treatment provider in the U.S., making treatment for addiction and other mental health disorders as affordable and accessible as any other disease. With world-class clinical treatment in state-of-the-art facilities throughout Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland, every RCA patient is given the highest standard of care and evidence-based treatment with dignity and respect close to where they live and work.

ABBB Rating
View More View More

290 Recovery Centers of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Recovery Centers of America is a good place to start the recovery process. I had a great experience with them. Their staff was good and they always cared.

Get expert buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Either I had high expectations of a what a recovery center was or this place is just a revolving door for users. I got very little help with my actual psychological issues. Luke and Gabby were a bit helpful after my wife and I complained that I wasn't receiving therapy and only getting detox and a watered down version of AA. Overall it was the worst decision I have made in my adult life and I would have been better off doing an at home detox and taking a few weeks off of work and meeting with an actual (PhD) therapist. One thing I did learn is how and where to buy opioids. I will say that Max was and has continued to be helpful in my recovery, even though he was taken off of my case because he lived in my neighborhood. (WTF?)

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I was in a different rehab but I couldn’t handle it there and they suggested Recovery Centers for me. The staff at Recovery Centers was very professional and not judgmental. They made me feel like a real person and the experience with them has made me better.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I was gonna go to Warwick, but they didn’t have a bed. I called up the person on the back of my card and he said that they found me a bed at Recovery Centers of America, and I said that I would go. That place was heaven on earth. The chef was unbelievable and the housekeeping was phenomenal. There was also a girl there and she helped me out so much. The head nurse that works in the office was really good and all the nurses were super nice. It really changed how I was feeling. The people were caring, compassionate and they listened.

The only thing I would change that stunk was the medication line at nighttime, which was horrendous. It would take 45 minutes or so to get your medicine. While I was there, I would have to leave the 8 or 9 o’clock meetings just to get my meds and the meeting would be over when I came back. I could sit by for 45 minutes or go back to my room and take a shower. Overall I would tell my friends to go to RCA and not to any other place. I was at Warwick one time and they didn’t make me go to meetings. The people were like cattle. You gotta go here and there, and some days, you’re not feeling any. You need an extra hour of sleep or you can’t wrap your head around going to another meeting for that day, and they let you go. I went to all the meetings at RCA, but it was no pressure. I’m still recovering and I’m 130 days now, and I feel good.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My friend knew the advocate for Recovery Centers of America, so I got a scholarship there. I love my experience with them. When I arrived there, the whole process was nice and the intake process wasn’t super long. It's a beautiful place and I love it. It's a great facility all around. The staff and the food were great. I liked the fact that I could custom-order a hamburger or a turkey meal. That was a huge benefit. The amenities and accommodations were excellent. The rooms were the huge highlight because the beds were really comfortable and the TVs in the rooms were great. Everything, including the lectures, was good. A lot of the techs had been in recovery themselves, so they could relate to the clients and they cared. I wasn’t just another client. They talked to us on a personable level and did not act like it wasn’t their job.

I’ve been to so many treatments where there wasn’t something that the people there could tell me that I didn’t already know. But for a person who has only been to treatment once or twice, Recovery Centers would give them more than the average treatments and coping skills. They bring in certified recovery specialists and they dive in with the 12 Steps a bit more than the average treatment center. They prepare clients for what they’re gonna be experiencing outside, rather than just having lectures, coloring, and simple activities like that. You would know if your insurance is paying for your treatment because a lot of recovery centers are almost like adult day care where they ask you to color something and you tell them how you feel about it. But Recovery Centers didn’t do that. Aside from bringing in CRS’s, they also blended The Big Book for Alcoholics Anonymous, so their treatment was definitely beneficial.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Recovery Centers of America?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

The admissions process was quick at the Recovery Centers of America and the staff was very welcoming. They were friendly and helped me with anything that I needed. They also helped me identify some personal triggers and how to deal with them. They take the support outside meetings where you can get to meet people and get in the habit of meeting new people.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Recovery Centers of America was the best and my experience with them was absolutely perfect. Everything from when I first arrived to the whole stay there to the moment I left was 100%. They were very welcoming and the facility was absolutely beautiful. Everybody was nice down to the staff and chefs. I also liked everything about Carrie, a counselor. She went through it, so she knows. She was down to earth and she was real. The people at RCA did everything. I didn’t think they would be able to equip me to be successful on my own, but they did and it was great.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had my problem with drinking and I was in the hospital. Recovery Centers of America was recommended and I was told, “If you wanna go to a really good place to get yourself together, RCA is the place to go.” I’m a former military and a former law enforcement, and I expected the initial stringent interaction. In RCA, it was like you were under lockdown, but it was the way it should be. There are no phones. There is constant surveillance which I felt was good. Everybody was friendly, courteous, and helpful. The accommodation was excellent and the food was very good. We had two people in a room. Each bed has its own large-screen TV and a coffee room on each floor.

I was in a special wing, a special floor for first responders, cops, firemen, paramedics, military and we got all along pretty well. I’m still in contact with my roommate and with other people that I was there with. My therapist, April, was excellent. The counselor, Jimmy, was good. He was pretty passionate about his job there. A lot of the RSS, the people that kept an eye on us, walked the halls, and observed, were good. The family therapist, Ed, was another guy that was really good and very helpful. When it's downtime and there’s nothing else to do, I hit the gym, which I think was important for my recovery. I had gym time pretty much any time I wanted even though there was a structured gym time. It was all opened up to us. Everybody at RCA was good.

One of the things, which I’m still involved in and probably for the next two weeks, is that they set me up on Intensive Out-Patient, scheduled week-nights. They were weekdays before, and that is at the Center City Recovery. This is my second rodeo and I didn’t have that the first time. I was hit by my father’s death after the first time, so I basically went to the bottle again. But this time, Matt from RCA set me up for the IOP. I wanted to go to a place in Philly where I live, where I was born and raised, but this has been very helpful for me. A week in the hospital, four weeks in Devon, and 90 days at the Center City Recovery and I’m on my way now. I highly recommend RCA and I would recommend this facility to people out there in need whether alcoholic like myself or people with other addictions. There are more people out there than people generally realize that need to be in recovery.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I was in a detox, and Recovery Centers of America set it up for me. I like that they’re geared towards the 12-step program, and they got me jumpstarted on one. Their facility was very clean and well-maintained. Also, the counselors that I dealt with were great. The nurses were all very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. It was a good experience and I would recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I’ve been to a lot of treatment centers and Recovery Centers of America is the best by far. They are my first recommendation to anybody who’s seeking treatment. I’ve been in recovery and in and out of the room for about five years. And every time that I get sober and even on the times when I’m using, there are things that I learn that I then use as reference or that I can use to build on a skill or a coping mechanism to help me improve my state of wellness. Having staff members who were also in recovery was an essential part of my positive experience at Recovery Centers of America. The information is not as formidable to a newly sober or a newly recovering alcoholic or addict. So it’s definitely essential to have people with 4, 10, 20 or 25 years of sobriety working there.

Horace has been sober for 25 years and he was at Waldorf. He made a phenomenal impact on my life, not just on my recovery, because I see things at a different perspective. He motivated me by being the person he became in recovery. I asked him what he did that kept him sober when he got out of treatment and he told me that he went to meetings 2-5 times a day. He was also in an intensive outpatient program in seeking therapy and treatment outside of the rooms. He told me to get a sponsor and work the steps. That was what he did and that’s what I’ve been doing. In fact, I’ve been doing all the things that he said that he did. He didn’t tell me to do it. I asked him what he did, hoping that it may guide me into the positive direction that I’m aiming for, and so that I can implement everything that he did into my recovery. I wanted to learn from someone whom I had a lot of respect for.

Chuck was exceptionally helpful in my recovery also. My case manager, Suzzie, also helped me get into an excellent next-step situation. She provided an opportunity for me to get into a sober living house where I wanted to be. I was really appreciative of the staff that was there, even including the staff that’s no longer there. When I heard that some of the assessors and the staff members were no longer there, I was disappointed because they made a huge impact on my recovery. It was a wonderful experience overall.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My experience with Recovery Centers of America was fantastic. I like the goodness and friendliness of some people. I learned over the years of being around that a person's experience was all in the approach. Some of them approached nastily. I didn't give anyone a hard time. I had already sat down. All the guy had to do was explain things to me. He didn't have to yell at me. I also had so much to say at one of the meetings that the CEO pulled me into her office and we talked for an hour.

I’m recovering and I know better. Kids today are dying out there. They’re looking for the way out the door and not the way in. They wanna go home to their wife and say they're not getting help at Recovery Centers. They want to say that the lady hurt their feelings and that she was mean and didn’t treat them right. If people couldn't help an alcoholic, they shouldn’t hurt the alcoholic. The only time you should look down on an alcoholic or an addict is to pick them up. I felt that a few of them could have some lessons in mannerism. If they don’t have empathy, they shouldn't get a job there. Some of them wanna play police. We don’t need the police. We need help.

Some of the people were absolutely fantastic though. I came off the streets. I didn’t come out of my house because my wife and kids didn’t want me. I had no underwear and they got it for me. It doesn’t have to be the big miracle thing, little things mean a lot. The caring and feeling like a human being again helped. Laurie, a tech there, and also another lady were fantastic.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

When I arrived at Recovery Centers of America, I was very distraught because of my health situation and it was later in the night. It was uncomfortable and then there was an issue with insurance so that delayed it even more. My insurance did cover but that exacerbated the whole situation. The staff was really nice though. I did IOP there and in retrospect, it was a bunch of nonsense and I felt let down. But their group leader was fantastic. She was one of the reasons that I kept coming back to the IOP. But she left there last week. She was just not recognized or acknowledged for the great work that she did. And that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Also, I'm not a smoker but gums were like my cigarettes. All I wanted to do was to chew gums but they would not allow me. I took it up with my therapist so many times but every time, there was a different stupid excuse why I couldn't have it. They came up with every BS excuse that they could. I understood that I was in rehab and they were trying to discipline me but it was ridiculous. On the other hand, the women there were smoking their faces off whenever they had three minutes. So all those women are gonna have lung cancer but I couldn't chew gum. It sounds silly but it frustrated me beyond.

Towards the end, my mom would sneak gum in for me and every night we had an AA meeting but one night, I accidentally dropped my gum. Some of the people were like, "Oh my gosh, you have a gum?" They were so excited. Other than that, somebody also stole a 400-dollar pair of sunglasses from me. I probably should not have brought them. But at the same time, there was no reason for someone to steal them. I'm really pissed off about that.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I wasn’t very pleased with the experience I had with Recovery Centers of America at all. Taking everything, I learned some things at RCA, but I do not believe the staff was certified. I went in there without paying an insurance and I was confused as to how RCA prorates with people that have insurance. For instance, one girl that lives here around my neighborhood who graduated at the same time I did had an $80,000 bill whereas mine was $35,000. She had insurance and paid $150 out of it. I feel that RCA prorates and I don’t believe that their billing system is correct, but I could be wrong there. I tried to ask to get a grant or some sort of reprieve for it because I did not have insurance and they weren’t conducive to that end of it. The people that led the meetings seemed to be very young and new to the center and didn’t have very much experience. I have been to other rehabs before and have exceeded more experience than the people there.

I know my therapist and she was good. She was registered, as well as my counselor. But the ones that were instructing the classes weren’t certified by any means to sit there in class and instructor meetings. The clients ran the meetings more than the people leading the instructor meetings. It was bogus. I’m 58 years old. It’s okay if a family is sending their child to try to detox because they wanna save their child, but I’m an adult.

The people that walked me through the rooms or around the building were never on the same page. One person told me one thing and then another person said another. I told that person that the other person just told me this and that person needed to go talk to them. I voiced my opinion a couple of times about how they all need to get their stuff together and everybody needs to be on the same page because they have people trying to get better and go by rules applied by RCA standards. However, the staff can’t even apply the rules on their own and they did not stick to those rules to any of the clients that were in there. People went and slept in their rooms all day long except for when they came out to eat. Also, there was a particular person that graduated a couple of days before me that was an isolator. I saw that nobody helped him try to come out of his room and get him going.

The RCA facility itself was clean and beautiful, but that doesn’t disguise the people that are running it. It wasn’t just menial things. There were nurses that were rude to clients and nurses that were dispensing wrong medication. Also, when somebody asked for their medication, they said no. They couldn’t have it because it had to be doctor-recommended although it was already on their chart. They were looking at somebody else’s chart. The way RCA was advertised, they would have a psychiatrist and a doctor on hand 24/7, however, they didn’t have anybody there, although they had nurse practitioners. RCA has false advertising and I hear on the radio every day about them trying to promote their business. Unfortunately, I believe that the RCA that I went to in Waldorf only happened to be four months old and they didn’t have it together. I also heard that employees who worked for RCA quit there and I don’t blame them.

At one point in time, I was thinking about putting a class action lawsuit against RCA. I had eight people that were willing to back me on it because that was what the lawyer said that I needed. At the same time when I spoke to the lawyer, he said that with the money that it would cost me and the money that RCA had to back them, they would beat me one way or another. So, he wasn’t willing to take the case and referred me to another firm.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I was going through some things and then my wife had registered me for a place. She called up Pathways but it was pretty full and they didn’t have beds. I needed to get somewhere immediately, so she looked online and found Recovery Centers of America in Waldorf, MD. I’m from Upper Marlboro, so it’s about 15 minutes away. She took it upon herself and I went to Recovery Centers of America.

It was my first time in a rehab. At first, I was pretty scared and worried about what I was getting into. Upon arrival, I looked around the building and it seemed to be pretty nice. I met with a lady named Deborah and she told me all about the rules and regulations. And then, I went to intake with the young lady, Crystal, who was very nice. She made me feel a whole lot more comfortable. I’m a cigarette smoker, so she gave me a chance to smoke my cigarette while she was checking me in.

I’ve been telling everybody about Recovery Centers of America because it’s a very nice place if you have a problem. The comfortability is nice and the staff is great. You can get a lot out of RCA. You have a certain RSS at RCA and that was just phenomenal. They made me feel very comfortable even it was a time when I wanted the AMA. A young lady talked me out of it. The first couple of days being on blackout was frustrating, but I understood the concept of it. After that, it was pretty cool. However, as the program went on, you get like you wanted to come home and do your thing again. But there were a lot of good people there like Harris, Chuck and Jay who kept me from AMA. The group itself came together by about Day 7, and the group started to know each other a little bit more. It became more of a family bond and it just was a good experience overall.

One thing that is needed at RCA at least in Waldorf though is like myself who is willing to go to speak to some of the newer patients and tell them that we have stayed in those rooms and sat in those chairs and now in recovery. That should be brought to someone’s attention because they have a couple of people who come in, but it’s normally the same AA group or NA group, but those are people who have never stayed at RCA.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

It was a great experience! I was at RCA Devon and the staff went above and beyond for me. Even though I was on the fence and had a poor attitude they still treated me like I was family and did their very best to help me. I've been to many treatment facilities and never have I felt so welcomed and cared about right the very start. I left early because of mine own issues and even then when trying to leave the staff were so concerned and tried everything they could. My counselor even cried to me. Never have I experienced care like that anywhere, and it's the reason I chose to go back a month later and they sent me to RCA Waldorf, Mayland. It was the same feeling even though they were only open for a month or so I never felt more welcomed and cared for. The counselors there were amazing, really knowing how to get down to the core of my problem.

The groups were beneficial and the information I got about my disease was the best I have ever gotten. Like I said, I've been to many treatment facilities and RCA was still able to teach me new things and give me hope that I've never had before. I would recommend this place to anybody they treat you with dignity and respect and like a human being, not just some number to fill the bed. Thank you guys for everything. I'm coming up on 70 days clean and sober and without you in the beginning I would not be here today.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

My dad is a construction worker who was working on the site of Recovery Centers. So when I was finally ready to get help, he brought up RCA. The place was really big, clean and everyone seemed to be really nice. I liked how they had a counselor, a case manager, and a trauma therapist. To me, from going to other places, I feel as though RCA had a lot more help there. Dee and Anj were two of my favorites among the staff. They were always there to help and talk to. They made me feel comfortable in my first couple of days there. The staff at RCA was really caring.

When I went in there, I wasn’t sure what to expect and if I really wanted to stay but I knew I wanted to stay sober. I felt that this time was different and I took all the help and the suggestions that were given to me. I also liked how everyone was in recovery as well. So overall, my experience at RCA was great compared to some places where I was just a number to the people that worked there. RCA seemed to care if I was gonna stay sober or not when I left. I would definitely recommend for somebody to go to Recovery Centers of America.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I've been to treatments before, in 2010 and 2011, but I went for like a week and left. I've gone to six different treatment facilities but Recovery Center is hands down the best place I've ever been to. I live outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and they built one in Devon, which is not too far from my house. I didn't have private insurance and they gave me a scholarship but that time if I wanted the scholarship, I had to be there that day, which was a Saturday. It was about 4 o'clock in the afternoon when I called and they were like, "Yeah, we can get you in today, but you have to make it down there by today," and it's like a three-hour ride. I got on the train about 9:00 PM and they picked me up from Washington, D.C. which was like a 45-minute drive. Their decision to go out of their way to pick me up was a big deal.

They offer the best amenities. Patients have a TV in their room, which is unheard of in a rehab facility. They have a basketball court, a gym, yoga sessions and they have church every Sunday. They also have a case manager, a family therapist and the patient's own individual therapist. They have a psychiatrist. Then, I had some medical issues and the nursing staff was very hands on. They went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. When the staff pass by us in the hallway, they talked to us and asked how we were and how we felt.

I stayed there for 29 days and they got my outpatient set up before I left there. Despite the fact that I'm from Pennsylvania and I was in Washington, D.C. they made all the calls necessary where I had my outpatient therapy set up. The only thing is, they were only about three months new when I was there. I could tell that they were still working out kinks like with the schedule and staffing situations. Other than that, everyone made me feel like they care and that the patients always come first. I will recommend Recovery Center to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

A family member told me about Recovery Centers of America, and all the people there that I dealt with were very good. My personal therapist was great, as with all the therapists, and all our assessors were very good. In that experience, I learned a lot about myself and the disease. It was unexpectedly good. In my first stay there, I reluctantly went in, but it turned out to be very good because of the facilities and the staff.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Upon my arrival at Recovery Centers, everybody was really nice and quicker than usual which is good because the process may take long with other rehabs out there. The facility was very nice and the rooms had two beds and televisions. They have trauma therapy and all the counselors have time with therapy. Recovery Centers is really good and it helps patients set up with a plan with the caseworker. Instead of just having one person going through everybody, they have a couple of different people.

Original review: July 30, 2018

My experience with Recovery Centers at the New Jersey location was awful and the techs were very nasty. It seems like they didn’t really care much about my sobriety as much as the counselors and the supervisors. They put their all into the groups, but there wasn’t an education and we didn’t get much out of it. They just slacked along. On the other hand, the one in the Southern Maryland, Waldorf location was amazing. Everything about the facility was great and the entire staff was good. The spirituality and the aspect there helped me. They didn’t force it, but they kept repeating it saying that it was necessary and it made me care this time.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I had a very good experience at Recovery Centers of America. The place was really nice and the people were really helpful. They gave me a lot of information and I learned a lot of stuff that I didn't know. For the most part, they really brought out a lot of stuff that would be preparing you for what you're gonna be dealing with when you get out and they talked to you how to deal with it. Anybody that I knew that needed a treatment center like that, I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: July 25, 2018

A family friend that we’ve known for several decades now, currently works in the addiction treatment field and he recommended Recovery Centers of America. I had a general feeling of panic and nervousness when I arrived there. I was gonna be in a place where I didn’t know anybody. I had never been there before and hadn’t really heard of it before but I was gonna be there, separated from people like friends and family so it was very scary, confusing and stressful. But other than that the experience was very smooth and very good. And it ended up being a very easy transition.

The staff was phenomenal. I was very warmly welcomed by all the staff from the admissions to detox. They made me feel comfortable. Like when I said, “I’m scared to be here.” They said, “Oh, don’t worry. Everyone’s great here. The beds are so comfortable. There’s nothing to be scared of.” They eased my mind. And then when I transitioned upstairs to the treatment unit, they also welcomed me pretty warmly. If I had any questions they always answered them. If I wanted to ask, “Hey, how is this gonna work? When am I transitioning upstairs?” They were perfectly upfront.

And if they didn’t know the answer they would direct me to someone who did. Our assessors, Amy, Susan and Joel, were amazing. Not that they all weren’t amazing staff members, but those are the ones that were the most friendly and helpful. And Wendy down in detox was also amazing. All the staff down in detox made it a point to come up, visit and check in especially during the first few days of the transition. Wendy would always come up and whenever she did she would always say, “Hey, how are you doing? Is it still going okay for you?”

Also I felt the handouts and the worksheets and all of the materials that they gave us were very informative. It’s one of those what to expect afterwards kind of thing. I still have them and they helped me walk through what the next steps would be. We discussed sober living, like a sober house versus an IOP. They also gave me leaflets and brochures about different sober houses. They were more than willing to let me experiment with different recovery groups like AA versus SMART Recovery and see what would work for me. So they were very helpful.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I admitted here on July 4th, and from there on in my life changed for the worse; was there for alcohol detox so I could have an operation, sounds simple, but my first day there my ** medication was taken away and I was given a dose of ** (which makes no sense) and numerous **, and other, unexplained by staff psych meds, which I did not need nor was ever prescribed! By the third day I stopped taking the meds and was basically left to rot in my room with no food or drink offered or my blood pressure checked, all while still not having my **, which I started to feel the effects of withdrawal from; and was still not tended to for at least 5 days. Never saw a doctor thru all of this, my fiancé had try to contact the facility and was never given my status as well as me not being told that she had called. I woke up on my last day there to find nobody at the front desk or a nurse that is said to be on site 24-7, another lie.

At that point I realized I need to leave here or I’m going to die. Also, I lost 23 pounds here. And upon leaving I was told that they were unable to get my personal belongings (cell phone, wallet etc.). I replied that my lawyer could call am maybe expedite the process, 10mins later I had my belongings and was finally free to go. It was a horrifying experience that no one should ever go thru. I saw that another of their facilities was shut down due to numerous deaths, had I known I was going to be treated like an animal I never would have gone, I feel violated on so many levels. Lastly, the meds that they had given me made me lose my sight at which point I was told to drink Gatorade and was never given any, and again still never saw a doctor.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I had a great experience at Recovery Centers of America. Checking in was very simple and there was a great guy named Charles who I knew throughout and helped me out through it. My therapist, Tiffany, was right on point. I got a lot of help from her. I went there mainly just for detox as I only drank for a few days. I ended up staying for 28 days so I got a lot out of it, from the detox standpoint, with the meetings and how comfortable the building was.

The facility is great. The people there were really courteous and they made sure that they took care of my belongings. They were also super knowledgeable. The facility was very secure, with a wonderful gym, comfortable beds and everybody was getting into it. I've been in recovery a lot of times and it's really hit or miss but Recovery Centers of America is the best place I've ever been in my life. The place I have been to before just stowed things in the corner. Also, I went to a place before and they lost my telephone. It was a complete and different experience. I'd recommend Recovery Centers of America to others.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I called Recovery Centers of America and the rep was very cooperative. She was very knowledgeable and I felt really comfortable with continuing the conversation and going forward. The check-in experience was very good. The staff told me pretty much what to expect and they treated me very professionally. They were awesome, courteous and friendly. They understood what it was to go through what I went through. Recovery Centers of America made sure they got me mentally prepared and ready for what I need to do to step out of that door and continue the recovery. My experience with them was very good.

Original review: July 13, 2018

My family found Recovery Centers of America for me, and they forced me to go but I'm glad I went. I had a urinary tract infection so they had to take me to the hospital before I could check in. And when I got back for the check in, the lady was real nice. She asked me all the questions and it took about an hour long. Even so, it was fine and there was no problem. The staff there were nice, helpful and caring. My counselor, Joni, was really good and I liked her. She was very laid back. She let us talk and that was what we did in our group. The experience has definitely helped me. I'm clean and sober now. Overall, going to Recovery Centers of America has worked and they've been unbelievably great.

Original review: July 10, 2018

My son had Recovery Centers come get me. It was nice when I got there. I had a hard recovery and I was really sick but they were really attentive to me. They were really good and a nurse was there. They came in with ginger ale and crackers and they brought me to the hospital and gave me intravenous fluid. They had the experiences that I had with alcohol and drugs so they knew what I was talking about. It worked out really good for me. All of the staff was fantastic. I went right to another treatment place but I learned a lot then and it helped me a lot.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I’ve always been a social drinker but in the last few years it got worse and it started to scare me. I was gonna stop drinking on my own but I just couldn't do it. When I decided I needed treatment, my husband went online and looked to see what was compatible with our insurance. Recovery Centers of America got a good overall review.

RCA's place was very nice in appearance. I was very scared, very nervous and very ashamed, and they treated me very respectfully. I did appreciate that very much. The staff were very nice. I had a primary therapist and we met privately and in groups. She was very good. She got me to get outside my comfort zone. She was very fair and I think she really did a wonderful job with me.

They also have the rehabilitation support specialists. They were wonderful. They did groups and it really was a well-designed program from my experience. There was some complaining with some of the younger patients and it was mostly for good, because they weren’t able to socialize with the male population as much as they like. It was very well supervised. The reason I went there was I needed professional help and I’m not a professional so I took advantage of it. I did everything they asked me to do and I really learned a lot about myself and had wonderful experiences. I can’t tell how many wonderful people are employed there. I can’t say one negative thing.

Right now, I’m feeling very good. I also have very good family support. I think that’s very important. When I first came out, I got involved with AA right away, going to meetings and doing the steps. I initially got into what they call a PHP, which was partial hospital program and that was every day -- Monday through Friday from 9:00 to 2:30 and that was two weeks and now

I’m in what they call IOP, which is intensive outpatient program and I’m currently in my second week of that. That is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 9:00 to 11:15. And I’m back to work. My work was very supportive of me and I’m very grateful. I had a case manager who handled all my insurance and my aftercare and they got me set up. I l left the rehabilitation center on a Thursday and I went right to the Malvern Institute. I did the interview there and then I asked if I could start Monday. I didn’t wanna start the next day because I just wanted to get acclimated. I wanted to get some meetings in and try to network a little bit. But they really were helpful. And I also had what they call a family therapist, which he was very wonderful in keeping me in touch with my family.

There was a five-day blackout period where you can’t really speak. If he was in the room, you could make a phone call on a speaker phone. There was never a privacy. But it was at least reassuring to be able to talk with family members. I really wanted to get better. I think some people go in RCA were either forced or court ordered and I think a lot of them, especially the younger ones,. And they’re very nice people even to the patients. They really gave a lot of bonding time. You really got to be in a relationship. It was really nice. I think some of the patients just were not happy and most of it had to do with regulations. But I thought all the rules were very fair.

Recovery Centers of America response

Hello Jeanmarie! I am happy to hear you’re feeling good. Thank you for your feedback. Do you want to help alumni, families and friends maintain a life in meaningful recovery? Do you want to help plan activities, meetings and events that promote community, networking, service and FUN in recovery in your neighborhood? Do you want to save lives and join a rapidly growing recovery community of inspiring, dedicated, and compassionate souls? If the answer is yes to any of the questions above, please call 610-994-2908 or reply to this email to learn more about volunteering for the Alumni Association or events near you. Alumni, families friends and current patients get so much out of their involvement in the Alumni Association, I have no doubt you will too.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I really appreciate my stay at the Recovery Centers of America. They did great work with me. I was pleased that they picked me up in an unmarked vehicle that didn’t reveal to my neighbors who was picking me up. And it was a nice car, so it could have been anybody, like someone taking me to the airport. It was cool that the car was filled with snacks that were decent. Plus, the driver was very nice and friendly. And when we arrived there, both staff and faces were very welcoming. The facilities where I stayed were gorgeous too.

They had a lot of wonderful staff people. And while they weren’t all perfect, I had a lot of staff members who went above and beyond to help me and support me and make my stay comfortable. There was a time when they changed my room, but the cleaning staff was busy so they forgot to clean the shower stall. I didn’t discover that until 11:30 at night and I didn’t want to clean it myself. It was really dirty because of some other client that was there before me so I said something to them. A nurse came, got on her hands and knees and cleaned the shower stall out. I was amazed that a nurse would do that.

Also, it was unsolicited but the same cleaning lady who had forgotten to clean that shower came back to me and profusely apologized. I didn’t expect that from her, but she pulled me up specifically to tell me about that. Because I was treated so nicely and it was such a nice facility, I can have less feelings of guilt and shame about what I've been through, which helped me stay focused and not beat myself up. But they could improve their group programming and cultural competence.

Recovery Centers of America response

Hello Duane! Thank you for your feedback. Do you want to help alumni, families and friends maintain a life in meaningful recovery? Do you want to help plan activities, meetings and events that promote community, networking, service and FUN in recovery in your neighborhood? Do you want to save lives and join a rapidly growing recovery community of inspiring, dedicated, and compassionate souls? If the answer is yes to any of the questions above, please call 610-994-2908 or reply to this email to learn more about volunteering for the Alumni Association or events near you. Alumni, families friends and current patients get so much out of their involvement in the Alumni Association, I have no doubt you will too.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Recovery Centers of America can be found through Google search for good rehabs here in Philadelphia. I called some sort of help center and they referred me to RCA. The check-in process was quick, friendly, easy and hassle-free. They are very nice to me. They helped me out. I was sick and throwing up when I showed up. They didn't make me feel embarrassed or anything. They really made me feel okay with it, brought me trash can and brought me tons of foods, drinks, snacks, kept making sure I was okay. So they made me feel really welcome.

RCA helped clear my mind up through detox and through making me feel safe and comfortable there. So I stayed and just staying there opened me up to other people, let me explore my own thoughts, attitude, behaviors and stuff I was dealing to like cope with things and how I was doing it wrong. It just really let me essentially explore my mind in a safe, positive way. I really like the community especially the people. I don't know if they actually intentionally did it or what, but the community was really nice. And I would say that the patient advocates or patient managers really know what they're doing and they really point out the best things for you and you kinda realize that once you go through the process, that everything they said was best for you.

Recovery Centers of America is an awesome place. They have good food, great people and good coffee. The tech staff are really nice and personable. I would definitely recommend it to friends. I would tell them it's a little disorganized because they're still growing. Some of the supervisors are rude and need interpersonal training skills such as that woman, Patty. But since they're not interacting with us on a daily basis, I would say this place definitely goes if they're trying to get clean and sober and if they need to go to a place that also really helps them out with any sort of aftercare, which is important.

Recovery Centers of America response

Hello Paul! Thank you for your feedback. Do you want to help alumni, families and friends maintain a life in meaningful recovery? Do you want to help plan activities, meetings and events that promote community, networking, service and FUN in recovery in your neighborhood? Do you want to save lives and join a rapidly growing recovery community of inspiring, dedicated, and compassionate souls? If the answer is yes to any of the questions above, please call 610-994-2908 or reply to this email to learn more about volunteering for the Alumni Association or events near you. Alumni, families friends and current patients get so much out of their involvement in the Alumni Association, I have no doubt you will too.

Recovery Centers of America expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Recovery Centers of America offers in- and out-patient recovery therapy for people with heroin, opioid and alcohol addictions and those with mental illnesses. RCA also treats cocaine addiction. It has centers in Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

• Treatment focus: Recovery Centers of America focuses on heroin, opioid and alcohol addiction and mental illness. They also help families of people with addiction learn to cope and help the person they love.

• In-patient services: Recovery Centers of America’s in-patient recovery programs include 24-hour nursing care, psychiatric and psychological services, individual and group therapy, relapse prevention and intervention, medication monitoring, discharge planning and help with re-entry into the community.

• Out-patient services: If outpatient services are right for you or your loved one, RCA provides both intensive and general services including individual and group therapy, family and couples therapy, 12-Step recovery and meetings, and psychological and medical services.

• Admissions: RCA will provide a free and confidential assessment to see if recovery services are right for you or your loved one. They also provide free insurance verification and door-to-door transportation in most cases.

• Locations: There are six in-patient treatment centers: Danvers, MA; Westminster, MA; Earleville, MD; Waldorf, MD; Mays Landing, NJ; and Devon, PA. RCA also has out-patient options in Manahawkin, Voorhees and Mays Landing, NJ; Danvers, MA; Devon, PA; and Wilmington, DE.

• Best for: young adults, adults, older adults, families and people who have relapsed with heroin, opioid or alcohol addictions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs