Recovery Centers of America Get Help Now
  2. Drug and Alcohol Treatment
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get Help Now
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.24/5

It’s harder for your family to see you in your addiction than to not see you for the holidays. When it comes to the disease of addiction, there’s no time to waste. RCA knows how difficult it can be for individuals struggling with addiction to get help, which is why we provide 24/7 admissions, interventions, and transportation at no additional cost. RCA is in network with most major insurers, call 855-738-4813 to find out how affordable treatment can be at the end of the year. Don’t delay. Make the call that changes everything, 855-738-4813. Recovery Centers of America (RCA) is the fastest growing addiction treatment provider in the U.S., making treatment for addiction and other mental health disorders as affordable and accessible as any other disease. With world-class clinical treatment in state-of-the-art facilities throughout Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland, every RCA patient is given the highest standard of care and evidence-based treatment with dignity and respect close to where they live and work.

ABBB Rating
View More View More
Recovery Centers of America Get Help Now

Recovery Centers of America Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I live in Wilmington, Delaware and I was at a point where I really needed help. We found Recovery Centers of America online and we looked into their social media. They are convenient as their location was close by so my family could be in touch with me and come to see me on the weekend. When I got there, I was greeted at the door by one of the RSS people. I was in a rough shape and my only concern was procedures. I was clueless on what was gonna happen to me. They processed me and got me situated in my room along with RSS but then I received no information.

If it wasn't for one of the other patients, who I actually did become friends with, I wouldn't even have known where to go to eat dinner. She basically showed me around since none of the staff did that. That was a little troubling because if somebody didn't befriend me and showed me around, I wouldn't have known what to do. I brought that to human resources' attention and she was really great at it. She made an appointment with me right away, came to my room, and I told her my concerns. Communication was mainly the biggest problem. Maybe RSS didn't know what they were supposed to do versus the nursing staff. And of course, I'm in the middle, in the dark, not knowing what to do. In the end, they let me know that they understood my concerns and I was happy with that.

All the tools that I got from Recovery Centers, especially the Big Book, have equipped me to be successful on my post-treatment. I've been attending on all the encouragement that the group leaders gave and the importance of attending AA meetings when one gets out. I was lucky enough that I didn't need an outpatient recovery and they helped me. Along with the help of the therapist, Lisa, I had in there, Sarafina, who works there, was my liaison with the outside and she helped me find a therapist. She was really great, so it made my transition out easy. Also, Dana, who was in-charge of the medical part of my stay, was great in setting up so that I could get medication and then tracking with my doctor to make sure he was licensed for the insurance information. That went really well and I like Dana a lot. She also gave me the shot before I left. I was in Recovery Centers for the 30-day program and I was happy with it.

Recovery Centers of America response

Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback – we take these issues very seriously and want to listen and make sure we’re improving wherever necessary in order to provide the best possible experience for both our patients and our team members. If you are willing, we would like to discuss the specifics with you. Could you please reach out to 833-RCA-ACTS or RCAACTS@recoverycoa.com ? Please note you can choose to remain anonymous in any communication with our team. Thank you again and we look forward to hearing from you.

Get expert buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Upon arriving at Recovery Centers of America, the experience was good. I came in 11:00 or so at night, but it went pretty smoothly. Everyone was nice and helpful. No one seemed rude or disrespectful. The people that would babysit us were great. The ones that ran the groups were all really good too. I didn’t have any complaints about any of them.

They told me I was gonna meet with a doctor or a nurse practitioner to talk about medications, etc. It was like diagnosing any mental health problems or anything like that. The only thing that I had any negative feeling about was the nurse practitioner that I had. She was kinda rushing through the whole process with me. She didn’t really seemed like she cared as much. She just seemed like she just wanted to get done with the process that I was doing with her. She seemed like she was sort of empathetic but she just was almost impatient. She didn’t come off as rude, but it was like I was taking up her time. A couple of times, I was interrupted ‘cause she was telling me what I was feeling when I was trying to explain to her. So, I was a little confused.

I had a month of sobriety there to kinda clear my thoughts. Giving me time of sobriety, alone, is great, ‘cause I was kept away from anything that might’ve triggered me or caused me to wanna go out and drink. They were good at getting me to think more as opposed to just reacting so quickly negatively. They were well at equipping me with the tools that I needed to think more. Recovery Centers of America definitely helped me and I think that they could help a lot of people too.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Recovery Centers of America was one of the places that my insurance would cover. From day one, it was awesome. The people at the desk were super nice even though I had a little buzz on. I knew what I was getting into. Two weeks into it, I saw the girl from the front desk and she said that I was so sweet when I came in and that she was glad I am doing well. She remembered me and I asked her if I caused any trouble back then. She told that I was just great. So, that reinforced the fact that when I came in, it wasn’t like I was a sheep going through, but it was personal. The girl was there on Day 1 and she was talking to me on Day 14. It makes you feel like you count and you mean something to somebody. It was really, really cool.

It has absolutely been amazing in terms of what I learned there, and to take like skills of coping to the outside world. I've made many great connections with people there and I had an opportunity to learn so much about myself and about other people. I was a peer leader in there, and it really meant a lot to me to have other guys count on me. I’ve always played sports my whole life, and it reminded me that camaraderie of being in a team. Everyone has an up and down day, and you might get in arguments, and you might not agree on everything together, but you’re all in it together. It was really cool for me. It was just the kinda atmosphere that I thrive on.

The kitchen staff was amazingly awesome. The staff of counselors that I worked with and talked to on a day-to-day basis were fantastic. They got to know me and I never felt like a number or just a random name. I could have real life conversations with them, and not even about recovery. I never felt like they were belittling me. It was like you all know why you’re here, but at the same time, I felt like a regular person just getting help. I didn’t feel like I was in a rehab facility. Every one of the people I worked with were so cool. I felt so comfortable around them. It was great for me.

I’m out of the program now and I feel good and I’m healthy. I still talk to guys that are still in there or out of it. We keep in contact and we really made good friendships. It is really cool that you’re all on the same boat. I like that. We’re all here for a reason, and we all count on each other, and wanna help each other in the next level. I’ve learned a lot and I would welcome the opportunity to help anyone.

Original review: April 25, 2019

We were in a hurry to get me in somewhere so we did a lot of research and we found a center that was relatively close, which was Recovery Centers of America. When I arrived at the facility, everybody was super welcoming and very helpful. They were understanding of my situation and I felt cared for and welcomed from day one. The staff that I dealt with were all great. They were really polite and wanted to do their best to motivate us to get to groups and be functional within the little community that we had. Cassandra was my counselor at the Waldorf location and she was excellent. She was extremely helpful as I deal with some of the things I had going on.

The entire experience was a positive and wonderful thing. It was what I needed at that time and everybody was supportive. The guys I was with in the facility were also some of the greatest people I've met in a long time. I lost track of my strong support system even when I was with my family and checking into Recovery Centers of America's facility has helped me get in touch with that. They became a good mediator between my family and myself. I have also felt better since I got out of the facility. During the whole process I felt a little bit guilty and ashamed, but having talked to some of the people involved and going through the groups that we had, I felt more comfortable in my own skin. I would definitely recommend Recovery Centers of America. I hope more people can get into their facility and experience what I experienced for themselves, if they're looking for it.

Original review: April 18, 2019

The folks from Recovery Centers of America came and picked me up and it was nice. But with the traffic and the weather we had in February, the drive was a little rough. At the same time, the way you have to go from Frederick to Waldorf is not an easy commute, no matter what time of year. When I got to the recovery center, I was physically ill and throwing up. But the nurse for the in-process was good, although there was a ton of repetitive information. You had to in-process five different groups of people so some of the information was redundant. It gets a little old, especially when you're not in your sharpest mind.

Still, I had a good treatment. I got along great with everybody. I even ended up becoming the men's group president and that was cool. The staff was wonderful too, but there were a couple who were like former corrections officers. Two of them particularly had a mindset that you’re an inmate rather than a patient. That was because they got mixed people. I was there voluntarily but then some people were court-ordered. But regardless of that, we were there for treatment. Still, a couple of the RCA staff were a little heavy-handed. Other than those two though, everybody treated us with respect and as a patient.

The biggest negative about the whole thing was that I didn't realize that the opioid epidemic was so damn bad. My addiction was with alcohol but clearly, the majority of the people at the recovery center were there for opioid abuse and issues. That demographic was very young too, relative to the alcoholics. They're in the young and middle 20s and for about two weeks, it was tough because their addiction is not what alcohol addiction is. It was a mess. The older people were primarily there on their own accord. They wanted to change and anybody who wants change will make that decision and treatment. But a lot of the young people didn’t care. They hijacked people's treatments and were in and out of classes. They were so disruptive and disrespectful. It was almost as though some of those people had been in the criminal justice system. So maybe it wasn't the proper treatment facility to start with.

I know RCA can't do a separate facility but there might need to be separate classes. RCA has to decide where their sweet spot is gonna be. If it’s gonna be everybody, then it is what it is. But if they’re gonna be selective, they have to find their spot. If they’re gonna do opioid addiction, they can do better by having facilities and treatment classes that go to addiction.

I think the opioid problem is big enough that they can have a center that's just based on that and then have the proper staff. The addiction that persists around the opioids is a lot stronger and more destructive. There were people who were in detox for a week, whereas an alcoholic might go in there for three or four days. Not everybody from the RCA staff had been a heroin addict either. You could tell which instructors or guidance people had a background in it and then those who did not. There were some people who had real world experience and there were some people who had book smarts because they went to college and ended up as a counselor or therapist.

From the management standpoint, there was also a lot of what appeared to be the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing. There were certain little things like whether something was scheduled or what they would do when the next person comes in. When I got there, the classes started right on time, 9am on the dot, in the first few weeks. But then they started less than five minutes and sometimes, 15 minutes. The treatment is very expensive care too. I was fortunate enough that my insurance company was gonna pay for everything. But it was basically $30,000. If you count the number of people in there, that’s a lot of money.

I mainly went to the one in Waldorf because it is physically closer than the one in Earleville, Maryland. The facility was about a year and a half old and it was a really nice facility. I'd give them credit for that. But if they don't make changes, they're gonna start having some fundamental problems and I would hate to recommend RCA to somebody then. Word is gonna get out like, "Don't come here. This place is a mess." But I'm assuming that the new CEO would make changes with their approach. I would speak very highly of RCA but I would also have people do their due diligence. If I was going into a program, I would ask what their mix is, who and what they treat, and what they specialize in.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Recovery Centers of America?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I had no idea what I was going to be experiencing. I don't think I realized I was in a detox unit until I went to the rehab side. I did not find the detox experience bad. I took the medication, ate lovely meals, and talked to different people, psychiatrists, and doctors. I had a lovely roommate as well. Then, when I went to the rehab side, I was scared out of my mind. I didn't even wanna leave the detox unit not even knowing what it was.

They brought me in there and I saw in the living room a whole group of women clustered together. They were all younger. But I was assigned to a woman about 10 years younger than me who was wonderful. She was an educated lady, so I had nice conversations with her. She and I bonded right away. She was wonderful and she gave me privacy. She really didn't put her television on, so I felt very secure. There was a lot of swearing and one girl that was really over the limit but I adjusted to it. And slowly, we started bonding one by one. I felt accepted right away. When I would go to the living room, I was very quiet. They had crayons there and gel pens and I started drawing, which I never knew that I liked to draw. I started drawing to keep my mind busy. I talked during the sharing moments. I talked a lot about my granddaughter who I adore and I'm very close with. And when I shared her age, we all bonded.

It was an awesome experience and I would recommend it highly to anybody. It is exactly what I needed. I got my five-month coin yesterday. I go to as many meetings as I can, including the Early Nooners, the Happy Hour, and I go to the AWOL. I went to as many AA Meetings with Friends of Bill W meeting from the cruise. I met lovely ladies, one was an entertainer on the cruise ship. Another woman was my age and we bonded again. I'm even friends with them still today. I'm trying to do my 12 Steps. I have a sponsor, so I'm really dedicated.

The only negative I can say is that I'm in Medicare and I have a supplement, the RCA did not accept that. In order to get accepted in, I had to get two credit cards with a net charge of $5,000 each. I left there with a balance of $12,500. It was upsetting because out of 25 ladies, I was the only self-pay. A lot of them were on welfare cases because the majority of them had been in prison and were there because it was either stay in prison or do a treatment program. The night I gave the two $5000 payments, I was told that there were scholarships being offered at RCA to help me to pay for the remaining balance. That really made me feel secure that night that I literally begged for RCA. Once I went to RCA, I asked right away for help with the scholarship and I was kinda given the runaround.

Finally, I went to the account manager, Anthony, and he said there was no such thing as a scholarship. Then, I talked to another accounting person and she said she was gonna see what she could do to help me. This was all done the first week that I was in. I said I didn't wanna leave there a month and not have any resolution to my request. I had one from Mike who is still there. I had very wonderful conversations with him. He seemed sincere that he was willing to get me help. I called him the week after I left and he took my call. He said he was still working on it and that nobody that he knew had ever gotten any scholarships.

One night, we were in our AA Meetings and one guy spoke and said how he had gotten a scholarship at RCA the year before. So, I had proof that other people had gotten scholarships. But ultimately, I never got any help. I ended up talking to somebody in Chicago and they said whatever scholarship amount of money that was available was used up the month of August. I said I was there half of August and half of September. He looked into the money for September and said they had no money for September either. So, I really got the runaround. And $22,500 when you're 73 years old is a lot of money. I had to empty out my bank account.

They wanted me to pay $550 a month and I told them I could not afford that. They brought the payment down to 100. With the surgery I just went through and the two cancer surgeries my husband had had since May, I told them I can't pay the 100. So, they brought my payment down to 55. But, ultimately, I said I'll never get to pay this off. It was gonna take 12 and a half years to pay the $100 and now down to 55, it's gonna take 24 years to pay them. It's ridiculous. I asked if they couldn't give me help while I'm alive and nobody is listening to me. That is my only negative thing. If somebody that was my age group wanted to go to RCA, I would tell them it's a good place to go but to be prepared to pay $22,500 out of pocket.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

My sister was a patient December 2019. Her experience was overall very positive. I was appreciative of the overall care at the CSS department. It was amazing that she was able to receive the care she was with constant computer crashes, shortages in staffing and a lack of psychiatric nurses/NP's on the unit. Chris was amazing as was MC in CSS. I did wish that communication would have been better in detox. I was impressed with the meetings and the extra concern given by Chris. There are patients that take extra time from the staff because of psychiatric disorders which take away from the time with the other patients. When staff is overwhelmed, their morale is less and they're not able to give every patient the same amount of attention.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I knew a treatment was needed and it was the right thing to do at that time. So, I looked up at options for myself online and chose Recovery Centers of America. So far, everything’s fine. Most of their staffs were good. But they lost a couple of my clothing items that were quite pricey when they did the assessment. So, they had to give me a gift card to try to compensate for it. But there was sentimental value to it because it was my husband who gave it to me and that was the reason why I went there with it. So that definitely rubbed the wrong way. Also, there were a couple of nights when they gave me the wrong meds. No one said anything until I said, “I’m not feeling well,” two days in a row. And that was when they found out that they were giving me the wrong meds at night.

Furthermore, I was expecting a bit more of the therapy in there, rather than just a once-a-week “How you doing?” It wasn’t in-depth, like the core issues as to why we have it and why we’re there. Sometimes, it would be great to dig into it a bit more, but they said, “You could do that after.” And I thought that in a controlled environment, that would have been a good thing for a start. But that’s all right.

The girls there and I were all in the same boat when we were talking. When they were doing the discussion, it’s sometimes very repetitive. I know that we’re trying to instate some type of routine. But sometimes it’s good for the people that have gone through it and absorbed it, and they’re good to go for the next step to have that kind of next step ready for them to take, instead of lingering on things that they already had done and are okay. Recovery Centers of America has the first responders group and that was what saved my stay. Had it not been for Tony and that group, I probably would have left because of the clothing and the meds, and things that were piling on that were just very frustrating.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

Our 20 year old son entered the program here and for 30 Days was given unbelievable care and services. We were immensely impressed with the facility, the employees, therapist and everyone we came in contact with. Their professionalism and Dedication to their work was truly evident. Our Son is Home; We are all very Grateful for their care and the results.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Everything was decent with my interactions with the staff at Recovery Centers of America. The organization needs to be a little better though. Their timing on their groups needs to be a little better. A lot of the therapists and instructors were late. They were behind on a lot of their scheduling as far as that goes, and they lost track of some people’s personal items and had medications mixed up. Other than that, everything’s fine.

Recovery Centers of America response

Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback. If you are willing, we would like to discuss any suggestions or concerns. RCA has established a toll-free number so that any party can raise concerns by dialing 833-RCA ACTS or emailing us at rcaacts@recoverycoa.com. Please note you can choose to remain anonymous in any communication with our team. Thank you again and we look forward to hearing from you.

Recovery Centers of America expert review by Erica Spiegelman

Recovery Centers of America offers in- and out-patient recovery therapy for people with heroin, opioid and alcohol addictions and those with mental illnesses. RCA also treats cocaine addiction. It has centers in Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

• Treatment focus: Recovery Centers of America focuses on heroin, opioid and alcohol addiction and mental illness. They also help families of people with addiction learn to cope and help the person they love.

• In-patient services: Recovery Centers of America’s in-patient recovery programs include 24-hour nursing care, psychiatric and psychological services, individual and group therapy, relapse prevention and intervention, medication monitoring, discharge planning and help with re-entry into the community.

• Out-patient services: If outpatient services are right for you or your loved one, RCA provides both intensive and general services including individual and group therapy, family and couples therapy, 12-Step recovery and meetings, and psychological and medical services.

• Admissions: RCA will provide a free and confidential assessment to see if recovery services are right for you or your loved one. They also provide free insurance verification and door-to-door transportation in most cases.

• Locations: There are six in-patient treatment centers: Danvers, MA; Westminster, MA; Earleville, MD; Waldorf, MD; Mays Landing, NJ; and Devon, PA. RCA also has out-patient options in Manahawkin, Voorhees and Mays Landing, NJ; Danvers, MA; Devon, PA; and Wilmington, DE.

• Best for: young adults, adults, older adults, families and people who have relapsed with heroin, opioid or alcohol addictions.

by Erica Spiegelman Drug and Alcohol Treatment Expert

Erica Spiegelman is an author, motivational speaker, and addiction and wellness specialist who works with individuals on personal growth and overall wellness. She’s a California State Certified Drug and Alcohol Counselor (CADAC)-II from UCLA.

Recovery Centers of America Company Information