Call toll free
4.36/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Recovery Centers of America (RCA) is the fastest growing addiction treatment provider in the U.S., making treatment for addiction and other mental health disorders as affordable and accessible as any other disease. With world-class clinical treatment in state-of-the-art facilities throughout Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland, every RCA patient is given the highest standard of care and evidence-based treatment with dignity and respect close to where they live and work.

ABBB Rating
View More View More

335 Recovery Centers of America Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: May 10, 2019

Recovery Centers of America was one of the places that my insurance would cover. From day one, it was awesome. The people at the desk were super nice even though I had a little buzz on. I knew what I was getting into. Two weeks into it, I saw the girl from the front desk and she said that I was so sweet when I came in and that she was glad I am doing well. She remembered me and I asked her if I caused any trouble back then. She told that I was just great. So, that reinforced the fact that when I came in, it wasn’t like I was a sheep going through, but it was personal. The girl was there on Day 1 and she was talking to me on Day 14. It makes you feel like you count and you mean something to somebody. It was really, really cool.

It has absolutely been amazing in terms of what I learned there, and to take like skills of coping to the outside world. I've made many great connections with people there and I had an opportunity to learn so much about myself and about other people. I was a peer leader in there, and it really meant a lot to me to have other guys count on me. I’ve always played sports my whole life, and it reminded me that camaraderie of being in a team. Everyone has an up and down day, and you might get in arguments, and you might not agree on everything together, but you’re all in it together. It was really cool for me. It was just the kinda atmosphere that I thrive on.

The kitchen staff was amazingly awesome. The staff of counselors that I worked with and talked to on a day-to-day basis were fantastic. They got to know me and I never felt like a number or just a random name. I could have real life conversations with them, and not even about recovery. I never felt like they were belittling me. It was like you all know why you’re here, but at the same time, I felt like a regular person just getting help. I didn’t feel like I was in a rehab facility. Every one of the people I worked with were so cool. I felt so comfortable around them. It was great for me.

I’m out of the program now and I feel good and I’m healthy. I still talk to guys that are still in there or out of it. We keep in contact and we really made good friendships. It is really cool that you’re all on the same boat. I like that. We’re all here for a reason, and we all count on each other, and wanna help each other in the next level. I’ve learned a lot and I would welcome the opportunity to help anyone.

Get expert buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

The folks from Recovery Centers of America came and picked me up and it was nice. But with the traffic and the weather we had in February, the drive was a little rough. At the same time, the way you have to go from Frederick to Waldorf is not an easy commute, no matter what time of year. When I got to the recovery center, I was physically ill and throwing up. But the nurse for the in-process was good, although there was a ton of repetitive information. You had to in-process five different groups of people so some of the information was redundant. It gets a little old, especially when you're not in your sharpest mind.

Still, I had a good treatment. I got along great with everybody. I even ended up becoming the men's group president and that was cool. The staff was wonderful too, but there were a couple who were like former corrections officers. Two of them particularly had a mindset that you’re an inmate rather than a patient. That was because they got mixed people. I was there voluntarily but then some people were court-ordered. But regardless of that, we were there for treatment. Still, a couple of the RCA staff were a little heavy-handed. Other than those two though, everybody treated us with respect and as a patient.

The biggest negative about the whole thing was that I didn't realize that the opioid epidemic was so damn bad. My addiction was with alcohol but clearly, the majority of the people at the recovery center were there for opioid abuse and issues. That demographic was very young too, relative to the alcoholics. They're in the young and middle 20s and for about two weeks, it was tough because their addiction is not what alcohol addiction is. It was a mess. The older people were primarily there on their own accord. They wanted to change and anybody who wants change will make that decision and treatment. But a lot of the young people didn’t care. They hijacked people's treatments and were in and out of classes. They were so disruptive and disrespectful. It was almost as though some of those people had been in the criminal justice system. So maybe it wasn't the proper treatment facility to start with.

I know RCA can't do a separate facility but there might need to be separate classes. RCA has to decide where their sweet spot is gonna be. If it’s gonna be everybody, then it is what it is. But if they’re gonna be selective, they have to find their spot. If they’re gonna do opioid addiction, they can do better by having facilities and treatment classes that go to addiction.

I think the opioid problem is big enough that they can have a center that's just based on that and then have the proper staff. The addiction that persists around the opioids is a lot stronger and more destructive. There were people who were in detox for a week, whereas an alcoholic might go in there for three or four days. Not everybody from the RCA staff had been a heroin addict either. You could tell which instructors or guidance people had a background in it and then those who did not. There were some people who had real world experience and there were some people who had book smarts because they went to college and ended up as a counselor or therapist.

From the management standpoint, there was also a lot of what appeared to be the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing. There were certain little things like whether something was scheduled or what they would do when the next person comes in. When I got there, the classes started right on time, 9am on the dot, in the first few weeks. But then they started less than five minutes and sometimes, 15 minutes. The treatment is very expensive care too. I was fortunate enough that my insurance company was gonna pay for everything. But it was basically $30,000. If you count the number of people in there, that’s a lot of money.

I mainly went to the one in Waldorf because it is physically closer than the one in Earleville, Maryland. The facility was about a year and a half old and it was a really nice facility. I'd give them credit for that. But if they don't make changes, they're gonna start having some fundamental problems and I would hate to recommend RCA to somebody then. Word is gonna get out like, "Don't come here. This place is a mess." But I'm assuming that the new CEO would make changes with their approach. I would speak very highly of RCA but I would also have people do their due diligence. If I was going into a program, I would ask what their mix is, who and what they treat, and what they specialize in.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

With my attitude towards my life, I didn't like to go to the Recovery Centers of America at first. But once I started to get to know the staff and they started to get to know me, I thought they were pretty good. The place sort of grew on me. The whole staff, like the people serving the food, were really cool. There were some days when you'd get different people and you wouldn’t like them as much as the other people just because the other people were so good. Some courses sort of went a little sideways, too, but it was never a big thing with me. I really took all the lessons even if the staff and I got in a little back and forth type of thing. I really liked it to be a type of lesson but it was more of working-on-myself type of thing. It was helping me working on myself.

I didn’t like learning, but I learned from being there that is a better way to use your time. They prepare you in there for when you get the urge to use. They get you equipped with tools. So far, I haven't used what I went in the center for. If you really need help, the center is a good spot to go. I saw a lot of people in there who were not feeling it but I was. Once it was my second week, it was hard because I was away from my family, but if I didn’t have those things to look back to, it would have been so hard for me. The center pushing the meetings on me was good as well. There was a lot of stuff to do that were cool. We got to go to the movies one time when we made all the meetings.

The only thing that could have gone differently was they could have let you look for a job in the meantime while you were there. They could help you get employed coming out. Overall, I like how the program went and it worked for me. There were little things to learn from and it was a good experience. But you kind of don’t know what to expect when you get out of being in a facility. You need some time as you can't just jump right back into a job. I just got a job today. This is my third week out.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had my problem with drinking and I was in the hospital. Recovery Centers of America was recommended and I was told, “If you wanna go to a really good place to get yourself together, RCA is the place to go.” I’m a former military and a former law enforcement, and I expected the initial stringent interaction. In RCA, it was like you were under lockdown, but it was the way it should be. There are no phones. There is constant surveillance which I felt was good. Everybody was friendly, courteous, and helpful. The accommodation was excellent and the food was very good. We had two people in a room. Each bed has its own large-screen TV and a coffee room on each floor.

I was in a special wing, a special floor for first responders, cops, firemen, paramedics, military and we got all along pretty well. I’m still in contact with my roommate and with other people that I was there with. My therapist, April, was excellent. The counselor, Jimmy, was good. He was pretty passionate about his job there. A lot of the RSS, the people that kept an eye on us, walked the halls, and observed, were good. The family therapist, Ed, was another guy that was really good and very helpful. When it's downtime and there’s nothing else to do, I hit the gym, which I think was important for my recovery. I had gym time pretty much any time I wanted even though there was a structured gym time. It was all opened up to us. Everybody at RCA was good.

One of the things, which I’m still involved in and probably for the next two weeks, is that they set me up on Intensive Out-Patient, scheduled week-nights. They were weekdays before, and that is at the Center City Recovery. This is my second rodeo and I didn’t have that the first time. I was hit by my father’s death after the first time, so I basically went to the bottle again. But this time, Matt from RCA set me up for the IOP. I wanted to go to a place in Philly where I live, where I was born and raised, but this has been very helpful for me. A week in the hospital, four weeks in Devon, and 90 days at the Center City Recovery and I’m on my way now. I highly recommend RCA and I would recommend this facility to people out there in need whether alcoholic like myself or people with other addictions. There are more people out there than people generally realize that need to be in recovery.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I’ve been to a lot of treatment centers and Recovery Centers of America is the best by far. They are my first recommendation to anybody who’s seeking treatment. I’ve been in recovery and in and out of the room for about five years. And every time that I get sober and even on the times when I’m using, there are things that I learn that I then use as reference or that I can use to build on a skill or a coping mechanism to help me improve my state of wellness. Having staff members who were also in recovery was an essential part of my positive experience at Recovery Centers of America. The information is not as formidable to a newly sober or a newly recovering alcoholic or addict. So it’s definitely essential to have people with 4, 10, 20 or 25 years of sobriety working there.

Horace has been sober for 25 years and he was at Waldorf. He made a phenomenal impact on my life, not just on my recovery, because I see things at a different perspective. He motivated me by being the person he became in recovery. I asked him what he did that kept him sober when he got out of treatment and he told me that he went to meetings 2-5 times a day. He was also in an intensive outpatient program in seeking therapy and treatment outside of the rooms. He told me to get a sponsor and work the steps. That was what he did and that’s what I’ve been doing. In fact, I’ve been doing all the things that he said that he did. He didn’t tell me to do it. I asked him what he did, hoping that it may guide me into the positive direction that I’m aiming for, and so that I can implement everything that he did into my recovery. I wanted to learn from someone whom I had a lot of respect for.

Chuck was exceptionally helpful in my recovery also. My case manager, Suzzie, also helped me get into an excellent next-step situation. She provided an opportunity for me to get into a sober living house where I wanted to be. I was really appreciative of the staff that was there, even including the staff that’s no longer there. When I heard that some of the assessors and the staff members were no longer there, I was disappointed because they made a huge impact on my recovery. It was a wonderful experience overall.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Recovery Centers of America?

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I was not impressed with the take-in of my mom. You took her in and did your thing and no one told us anything. They were just like ok we have her. We had no idea when we could talk to her and without us asking. Also, we drove up two different times for the family support groups that are listed in your family handbook, and both times they had no idea about the groups. I just felt that the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. I was VERY impressed with Jill and Taj. Those two people answered the 7,000 questions that we had. They were patient with us, and were willing to help in anyway possible. Those are the two best employees you have, there is no doubt in my mind.

Recovery Centers of America response

Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback, Michelle. We like to use these reviews as an opportunity to continuously improve the experience we’re providing to both our patients & their families. If you are willing, we would like to discuss the specifics of your concern. RCA has established a toll-free number so that any concerned party can raise concerns by dialing 833-RCA ACTS or emailing us at rcaacts@recoverycoa.com. Every call or email is investigated and addressed by a select group of senior leaders. Thank you again and we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Staff was pretty good to me, food was excellent, could have been some more diverse meetings, even with other cultures, they need their own Microwave on each floor and MORE CLOCKS! They wanted us to be to meetings on time but no clocks?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

My experience with RecoveryCenters of America was awesome. It was the best rehab I've ever been to. The staff was great and it was just a great place.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I currently had a loved one in RCA at Devon and I did not have a great experience, especially being on the outside and have him in there I was extremely disappointed with the lack of communication you have there.

1. Not only is everything on your website either wrong or outdated, but your staff has absolutely no idea of the correct information and has absolutely no idea about the seeds to recovery program or ANYTHING else that I asked them about. Everything I needed answered I had to call several times to finally get someone on the phone who could somewhat answer my questions.

2. I left several messages for his case manager Matt ** to call me back, and not once did he call me back. I called RCA 4 times and all 4 times the receptionist sent him an email with my message and saying to call me back. He then proceeded to tell my loved one that he never received any of the emails and messages I had left for him, and claimed we went behind his back to talk to the insurance company to see when they were cutting the insurance which we only did so we could schedule a pick up day. After hearing that I then called for a final time because I tried to get in touch with him multiple times to include him in this, and the guy in the call center that I talked to sent him yet another email directly to his email and confirmed that each time I called an email was sent. And once again he did not call me back.

3. No one had an answer for my loved one of the date he was leaving and no one knew anything about anything! They didn’t even have answers for me, so I am on the outside with absolutely no knowledge of anything because no one was able to tell me anything.

4. You should improve your communication and knowledge of your staff and make sure your case managers call and communicate with the family because it is very upsetting when you can not get any information because your staff is uninformed and do not return calls.

5. I am very dissatisfied with this facility.

Recovery Centers of America response

Thank you, Marissa, for taking the time to submit feedback and bring this to our attention. If they have not done so already, a member of our facility leadership team will be reaching out to you to address. In the meantime, should you require any assistance please call 833-RCA-ACTS and we will be happy to assist you. Thank you, again.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Met with Greg ** for a tour of the Danvers facility. Danvers is a beautiful facility and seems to be running great! Greg is an amazing person who puts his whole heart into his work.. You are blessed to have him on your staff!

Recovery Centers of America expert review by Erica Spiegelman

Recovery Centers of America offers in- and out-patient recovery therapy for people with heroin, opioid and alcohol addictions and those with mental illnesses. RCA also treats cocaine addiction. It has centers in Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

• Treatment focus: Recovery Centers of America focuses on heroin, opioid and alcohol addiction and mental illness. They also help families of people with addiction learn to cope and help the person they love.

• In-patient services: Recovery Centers of America’s in-patient recovery programs include 24-hour nursing care, psychiatric and psychological services, individual and group therapy, relapse prevention and intervention, medication monitoring, discharge planning and help with re-entry into the community.

• Out-patient services: If outpatient services are right for you or your loved one, RCA provides both intensive and general services including individual and group therapy, family and couples therapy, 12-Step recovery and meetings, and psychological and medical services.

• Admissions: RCA will provide a free and confidential assessment to see if recovery services are right for you or your loved one. They also provide free insurance verification and door-to-door transportation in most cases.

• Locations: There are six in-patient treatment centers: Danvers, MA; Westminster, MA; Earleville, MD; Waldorf, MD; Mays Landing, NJ; and Devon, PA. RCA also has out-patient options in Manahawkin, Voorhees and Mays Landing, NJ; Danvers, MA; Devon, PA; and Wilmington, DE.

• Best for: young adults, adults, older adults, families and people who have relapsed with heroin, opioid or alcohol addictions.

Profile picture of Erica Spiegelman
Erica Spiegelman Drug and Alcohol Treatment Expert

Erica Spiegelman is an author, motivational speaker, and addiction and wellness specialist who works with individuals on personal growth and overall wellness. She’s a California State Certified Drug and Alcohol Counselor (CADAC)-II from UCLA.

Recovery Centers of America Company Information