Call toll free
Show rating distribution
Call toll free

Serenity Malibu

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Serenity Malibu features a multi-dimensional, one-on-one approach to addiction treatment and co-occurring disorders. Men and women who come to our rehabilitation center receive life-changing treatment that can truly alter the course of their lives for the better. If you or a loved one is ready to do the work, we are so confident that we can achieve success and long-term sobriety that we guarantee it!*

Serenity Malibu Gallery (6)
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 29, 2017

10 Serenity Malibu Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

My mother wanted a facility with high standards and a good reputation. Serenity Malibu had a guarantee where if there was a relapse within a certain amount of time, you would be able to come back and they would treat you again. She thought it sounded nice. And I’ve always been drawn to the ocean but since I live in Colorado, I don’t have that privilege. Being on the beach would’ve been healing for me so she decided to send me there.

It was a bit of a blur the first time I was there but everyone was very kind and professional the whole time I was there, and they were very thorough about making sure that each person stays in compliance with the rules as far as bringing anything in. They checked my things, made sure that they knew everything that was in my system and that I was being cared for promptly and in the right way. Some aspects of the therapy are more beneficial than others but it’s just a personal preference.

I had a personality clash with my counselor so I asked to be reassigned to someone else. They challenged me to stick with it because it was going to give me life skills to work through my problems. My only hiccup was asking for something to be accommodating to me and my needs. They made the experience constructive and it turned out fine but if I was paired with someone else, I would have gotten more out of it. I didn’t feel like I was getting the most out of the experience. They made it constructive and it turned out fine but I feel like if I would’ve been paired with someone else, I would have gotten a little bit more out of it.

I’ve done very well and the help has been exceptional. It’s been three and a half years now that I’ve been out. It saved my life without any question. I’ve been to other treatment facilities prior to that and I wasn’t receptive to the care. But with Serenity, it was all inclusive. They nurtured the mind, body and soul. I got massages, acupuncture, therapy, outings and nutrition plans. It wasn’t just going up and getting meds. Also, it wasn’t like my other experiences and it was what I needed at the time. So, it’s great.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

The caliber of the staff and the psychiatrists at Serenity in Malibu were what we were looking for so we picked that place. My experience with their admissions team was great. Their rep took us for a tour and she was very descriptive and informative of everything. I met a lot of people that day and then six weeks later, I came in and that was a fun day. It was stressful but they did it as good as they possibly could have. They handled it perfectly. Their facilities were typical Malibu style. They were very clean, open, beachy, and they catered to everybody’s needs. Their staff were very welcoming and very accommodating. If the client needed something, they took care of it. It was quite amazing and I was very surprised. They were extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Although, there were chaos, they handled it better than I've ever seen. They went above and beyond in all ways that I could tell.

Some of the stuff at the beginning was a bit basic, but I think that’s common because most people don’t have the type of experience that I have. I’ve got a couple degrees and I actually work in drug treatment so I have some familiarity with processes and procedures. But after the first week and a half, I started diving into something that was more complex, deep and meaningful. Post treatment, they’ve contacted me three or four different times to check in. The therapists were fantastic. They’re educated, bright people and they listen which I think was really huge. The detox itself is always a stressful thing but all the doctors did a great job there as well. Their program director is a stellar guy and therapist. He was extremely helpful with me and a lot of the other clients said the same thing. Overall, it was an awakening experience and something that was well needed.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

When I had a problem with substance abuse, I called my sister for help. Her friend was a counselor at Serenity. I looked up Serenity Malibu online, and I read that it wasn't a 12-step program, so I went with them. I was also told that my insurance qualifies for it. At the beginning, I gave my insurance to my sister, and she and my mother took care of what had to be done. They had no problems. Serenity was very welcoming and homey. It wasn't like other places where they're really strict. If I didn't feel like going or being around people, then I could stay in my room and relax. They didn't beat me up on going to meetings. They didn't force anything on me. What I liked about it is that everyone from the kitchen staff to the maids was really warm and welcoming like family. It's really laid back.

Serenity is a great place of sobriety, and it really helped me find my identity and why I was drinking. A lot of one-on-one time with the counselor was great. It motivated me more to do something about my problem. They helped me find myself a little bit, however, once I left, the biggest thing was to have a plan to stay sober. They also said that I shouldn't think Serenity is going to fix me. The staff said I'd be okay when I'm in Serenity, but I had to do a lot more work outside. They said I needed to find a sponsor, which I did. They helped me make a plan on how to stay sober outside once I left Serenity. I got into AA after that, and it's funny that I'm still in AA and I'm coming up on two years of sobriety in November.

It is quite expensive but if someone could afford it, I'd recommend it. Being two years in sobriety, Serenity is not going to make you sober. It depends on what kind of person you are. Some people need someone to motivate them. You have to put in the effort to stay sober, which was what I did. I went into Serenity, attended all the meetings, all the activities, and I got the most of what I can get out of it. Until this day, I keep in touch with three staff members and update them on how I'm doing on my sobriety. They've been really great to me.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

Serenity gave me the platform, support and resources to help me figure out who I was on my own. My recovery is my responsibility and my choice. I chose Serenity to be my support.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

I would recommend Serenity Malibu highly to anyone struggling with addiction, trauma or mental illness. Serenity not only addresses the treatment of addiction, but the underlying causes that may lead to someone's drug or alcohol use and abuse. I felt that Serenity offered just the right amount of structure in my daily activities and therapy. Holistic one-on-one therapy for both mental illness and addiction was mixed with group therapy, as well as acupuncture, yoga, massage and outdoor and creative activities, which helped me to relax and be reminded of my true self before the addiction began.

I received exceptional care from an interdisciplinary treatment team, who were in constant communication about my progress and needs. Serenity also provided me with the option to participate in both 12-step and alternative methods to 12-step, such as meditation/mindfulness and SMART recovery as treatment modalities.

Lastly, Serenity ensured that I had an adequate aftercare plan after I completed my 30 days of treatment, which enabled me to maintain my sobriety during the often scary and difficult transition from rehab back to real-life. They also continued to reach out after I left rehab, to monitor my progress and check-up on me. I am proud to say I now have over one-year sober and in recovery, and it is thanks to the amazing team at Serenity. I could not recommend Serenity Malibu more highly for the chance at lifelong sobriety.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Serenity Malibu?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

The Serenity staff was constantly available. I felt like they knew how to handle my condition and recognized things that other places could not before. Whether it was the case managers or my Doctors, I was constantly attended to and my issues felt so much easier to handle once I left. I now have over six months of sobriety thanks to Serenity. I highly recommend this program.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

I came to Seasons/Serenity ready and willing to learn and understand what it would take to stop my addiction. I could not have picked a better place to be. The warmth and genuine concern from each and everyone on the Staff has made a warm and lasting impression. The arena of being with other people, sharing feelings, sharing truth, and sharing friendship has also left its imprint. It was a long time to be away but worth every day! I am in control, happy and excited to be living my life "with a larger lens". Thank you Seasons/Serenity and stellar Staff!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

Everyone here was extremely helpful and kind while I was detoxing and it made my experience a great one. Not only am I extremely grateful for the help I got to get sober, I am beyond grateful that I learned the necessary tools in order to stay sober. I have gotten my life back and I couldn't be more thankful for the help I received. I was very comfortable and felt at home, which is exactly what I needed to get me through that tough time. I can't thank you enough!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

It is with great passion and gratitude I write this review. Having recently celebrated my one year sobriety date I reflect on many things but first and foremost, I recall my time and experience at Serenity Malibu. I would not be where I am today (sober and drug free!) had I not addressed my addictions and demons and thankfully chose to do so by immersing myself in an extended stay in rehab. I know for certain I chose an outstanding facility. The care and treatment I received during my nearly 4 month stay was beyond my expectations. The facility is lovely, professional and comfortable. The staff truly cares for each individual. The food outstanding. The activities and groups were supportive and helpful in every way. Most importantly, the staff at Serenity is beyond amazing! I felt incredibly comfortable and safe and was treated with the utmost respect at all times.

I learned so much about my addiction and how I got there. My time at Serenity allowed me to really work on myself and "get well." The staff supported and encouraged me every step of the way. From the housekeeping staff to the therapists and program directors they are each passionate about what they do and make it their goal to help you get sober. I am living an honest, happy, sober life today because of the efforts of the Serenity staff. For this I am forever grateful. I would not hesitate to recommend Serenity Malibu to anyone in need of treatment. They are not just changing lives for the better... they are saving them!

Serenity Malibu Company Information